Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon, and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Let's go down the list of things that are not blowing up in Beirut. Hard to the list of things not blowing up is shorter than the list of things that are blowing up.
Speaker 1: I wondered what was next yesterday when we were talking to Shannon Kingston with ABC.
Speaker 3: News, what's next?
Speaker 1: There's got to be an escalation here, and now we have the second wave of explosions with the walkie talkies and the solar systems. This follows months of tensions between Hesbela and Israel since the October seventh terror attacks.
Speaker 3: Really goes back there, and it was a late.
Speaker 1: Monday that Israel announced their latest war objective, right, the safe return of the residents displaced from all the fighting with Hesbela across that northern border there with Lebanon. And then the pagers exploded because there was definitely some form of escalation that was coming, the pagers exploded, and then today, like I said, the second wave.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the second wave appears to be even lower tech than the pagers that were hit yesterday. This was a series of walkie talkies that included some walkie talkies held by people attending funerals for those who were killed yesterday. This is Nick patten Walls. She's a correspondent for CNN. Uh Jack, go give me the thing.
Speaker 4: We are looking at it yet more low tech form of communication. Remember hesbla pits. We've reached to Pages because of concerns and warnings that Israel would use smartphones to track their members and target them the pages they use. The supply chain, it seems from Taiwan. Unclear how it necessarily got to Lebanon, having lived there.
Speaker 5: For a while.
Speaker 4: All sorts of stuff turns up in the ports there from various dodgy provenances, so you know, very easy to infiltrate. They're peer to. According to New York Times, reporting infiltrated that supply chain put explosives in the pages. The question now is was indeed a walkie talkie supply chain also infiltrated. It appears that this series of explosions can't be too much of a coincidence, that indeed it happened about twenty four hours off the previous.
Speaker 1: One, exactly twenty four hours yeah, Israel could benefit on several levels from this kind of operation. First, of course, the physical damage to the HESBLA militants right. Secondly, disrupting the communication right, the group's ability to communicate. It could take a large number of the commanders out of the field. This could be crippling.
Speaker 2: Well, and you figure Hesbela after yesterday's attack had already I mean, listen, that's one of the things that they have said forever is that they would destroy the Zionist state or whatever their philosophy is.
Speaker 6: So they have threatened to.
Speaker 2: Rain down all fire and hell on top of Israel for decades. This made them more angry, I suppose. And they do have several tens of thousands potentially missiles and rockets that are ready to go to fire at Israel. But if they don't have the simple command and control structure to call for those attacks, what do they do?
Speaker 6: I mean your point that this.
Speaker 2: Disintegrates literally their communication apparatus.
Speaker 6: So what is next? There is a report you mentioned this.
Speaker 2: There is a report in the Guardian out of the UK that said that several solar power systems have exploded in people's homes across Lebanon. They're exploded solar panels. They said that there are pictures of fingerprint readers that have exploded and other small electronic devices that are currently circulating throughout social media. Not clear if they blew up my favorite favorite line of the day. It's unclear if they blew up by themselves or they were simply near the walkie talkies which blew up. I don't know why solar panels would have blown up. I don't know why anybody would have a walkie talkie and you're a solar panel.
Speaker 3: And it makes you wonder if smartphones are next.
Speaker 2: Well, they're clearly, they're clearly potential targets smartphones would be.
Speaker 1: But people that are smarter than I am when it comes to technology and explosives say that modern smartphones are constructed in ways that such tampering could be anywhere from very difficult to nearly impossible.
Speaker 2: Well, I would have said that it was nearly impossible to put an explosive charge inside a twenty year old pager, but clearly it's not. I mean, I don't know if you, I wouldn't put anything past the abilities of the A group like Mosade.
Speaker 1: They say that agent's plant as little as two ounces of explosives next to the lithium ion battery. That's the key, I think, as well as a remotely operated switch to trigger a blast within those pagers and walkie talkies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I do believe that the explosives is a key component here. It's not just what I assumed yesterday, which was hacking a pager causing it to overcharge itself and then having the battery get so hot.
Speaker 6: That it explodes whatever.
Speaker 3: But unlikely.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because if you saw the video of some of these explosions, those are not batteries exploding. I mean that would obviously be painful, hot, cause fire. That sort of thing that was a small explosion, I mean that was a that was larger than a battery simply going. That had to be something like we talked about yesterday, that PETN or some sort of semtech using PETN something like that. So listen, we're all explosives experts now, aren't we.
Speaker 3: I need to talk to you about uh.
Speaker 2: Oh man, I have you have never said those words to me, really, that you need to talk to me about something?
Speaker 3: Well, I need to talk to you about moo Dang.
Speaker 1: Moodang has been a blind spot for you and I and I was in the Chargers breakfast in the meal room and hanging out with a bunch of people that are younger than us, and said, what do you talk about on the show today, And I'm like, oh, I'm just reading this story about Moo Dang and they're like, oh, yeah, Moodang.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But one of the social well yeah, they've known about it, and apparent everyone knew about it but me, and one of the social media girls goes, yeah, we were going to try to do something with Moodang, but it was just too late, like it's just it's old now. And I'm like, great, that's how old I am. It's too old and I'm just hearing about it now. So I don't want this to happen to anybody else. So I'm going to have to tell you about Moodang when we come back.
Speaker 2: Did you then say something like, uh, I'm trying to be very demure, very mindful.
Speaker 3: No, God, I try to. I try to speak as little as possible.
Speaker 1: I literally said two words and then those deemed me as an old woman, and those two words were Moodang.
Speaker 2: Well, we also have a huge animal roundup store segment coming up next hour.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I just want to get this out of the way real quickly in case anyone wants to move about their day and doesn't want to sound like they don't know about Moo Dang.
Speaker 2: We are going to do a segment later this hour called Nothing to See Here, which is a prelude to World War or three. The US military has moved a bunch of people along with mobile rocket launchers to an island in the Illusion Chain of western Alaska. Excellent because of the increase in Russian military planes and boats approaching American territory.
Speaker 6: We'll talk about that, just.
Speaker 1: So everybody is clear and you can move about your day and feel educated. There is a baby pygmy hippo in a Thailand zoo that has become a worldwide internet sensation. Moodang is two months old. Photos of Moodang have flooded social media. Utah Jazz included the hippo and a post about the team's home opening game.
Speaker 3: This is all about this baby hippo.
Speaker 1: A Sephora Thailand celebrated moudang stardom by posting on social media about.
Speaker 3: How to wear your blush like a baby hippo.
Speaker 1: The zoo where Moodang lives has limited visitation to just Saturday and Sundays for five minutes because the of the interest in Moodang. But people are it's such a celebrity. People are not behaving well at the zoo, so they have to be very careful. Moodang was born on July tenth and rose to fame apparently when the zoo began posting videos of her eating, even opening a door at one point. She is the seventh baby hippo born to her parents at the zoo. It's just very cute baby hippo. Her name, by the way, Moodang means bouncy pig. Oh, and she was named by an online vote, so people already had skin in the pig before the pig came out.
Speaker 6: That's big.
Speaker 2: I don't think that that would be a good nickname for a spouse or partner.
Speaker 3: Bouncy pig. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I kind of like it. But this it looks that Moodang kind of has like human features a little bit.
Speaker 2: It is funny because they The whole Washington Post article today is about why we humans react to baby the animals the way that we do it.
Speaker 6: Kitchens, the pudgy bodies.
Speaker 1: It makes us want to take care of them, just like our babies makes me want to eat them.
Speaker 3: You're not gonna eat the baby, no, I know.
Speaker 2: I don't mean literally, but I mean you you you know when.
Speaker 6: You react to a baby.
Speaker 1: I never have that reaction like when I've heard people say that, oh, I just want to eat them up. Like I've never had the reaction like I want to eat that baby. It doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 7: I know that.
Speaker 2: I know that you're looking at it in a literal. I don't think anybody wants to actually bite into a child. Right, there's something about you want to and I'm going to use this word and it doesn't mean that it doesn't mean it literally either, but you want to smother them like you just want to.
Speaker 6: All Right, It's a thing I get you, guys. Seriously.
Speaker 2: An hour and a half from now is when the feder Reserve is going to announce whether or not it's going to raise interest rates. And we think it is going to raise interest rates. We just don't know how much it's going to raise interest.
Speaker 1: I feel like we need sexy music for oh, for interest rates?
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right.
Speaker 1: Because relief is on the way borrowing money. It's about to get cheaper.
Speaker 2: ABC News chief business correspondent and friend of the show. At least she was at one time, Rebecca Jarvis, you are never going.
Speaker 3: To get over her breakup with us.
Speaker 8: And the reason the Fed is doing this right now. Inflation is now at a three year low. It's well below the nine percent peak. It is back in what they would consider the normal zone where the Fed wants to see it at two and a half percent. Meantime, unemployment still historically low four point two percent, but it is starting to take higher. You may have heard this term soft landing. That is exactly what the Fed is trying to do here. They want to land this plane nice and easy.
Speaker 1: Oh man, did I call for the music at the right time.
Speaker 6: Or what he certainly did. Speaking of the.
Speaker 2: Dow Jones Industrial average right now, is that is only down about forty two points. They say, basically, the markets have been treading water waiting for whatever announcement is going to come today. S and P five hundred and the NASTAC are basically flat.
Speaker 6: They're down just a couple of points.
Speaker 2: So we don't expect to see much of a huge change, at least not right away.
Speaker 6: We'll kind of see what goes on over the next couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: Now, the biggest question is, and I know everybody's on the edge of their seats, the big question is whether or not this is a fifty basis point reduction or a twenty five basis point reduction.
Speaker 6: Jeffrey Solomon is the president of T D Cowen.
Speaker 7: They may actually do fifty bases voints, but I think they shouwly do twenty five because why are we Why what's the rush?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 7: There's no urgency. They can they can ease a little bit, see how it goes, see if we continue to see inflation or continue if inflation continues to abate, and there's no reason for them to go to fifteen. And my point now, the market bay price and you can see a pullback in equities if they don't do it, But you know that would just be a today event or next few weeks event.
Speaker 6: I think longer term, it's.
Speaker 7: Better for them to be cautious to ensure that inflation doesn't rear its ugly ahead.
Speaker 3: He wasn't a sexy.
Speaker 1: Right when we come back, Yeah, let's cut the sex music, because when we come back, we're going to talk about Diddy and his latest proposal for bail, which is asinine. It just shows he does not take this seriously, or his attorneys don't take this seriously. If this was their contingency plan, you.
Speaker 2: Can always leave us a talkback message on the iHeart app. Just shit that little microphone button while you're listening on the app, and you can send us a quick note.
Speaker 9: Shannon and Gary, the real brilliance and the attack against Hesbola using pages and walkie talkies is that not only does Israel disrupt their communications, but now there's a fundamental distrust of all electronic devices mark which is going to make communications really difficult in the future.
Speaker 6: Yep, going forward. It's a good point. Don't listen to me. I don't know what I'm.
Speaker 10: Saying, guys.
Speaker 5: I thought it was pretty funny. Gary consistently said the.
Speaker 6: Fed was going to raise rate. I'm pretty sure they were going to lower. Yes, the percent, Gary, lower, They're going to lower lower, lower. It's not going to raise the interest rates.
Speaker 5: Lower.
Speaker 9: Lower lower means cut, raise means more.
Speaker 3: Yes, Okay, yes, still giving like you're a four year old.
Speaker 6: Well I did, I made a four year old mistake.
Speaker 3: I didn't hear that. Maybe I should listen.
Speaker 2: When the FED makes an announcement at eleven just after eleven. The expectation is that they will be cutting interest rates, the borrowing rate by fifty basis points or twenty five basis points. We don't know that part yet, but we do know it's widely expected that they will in fact cut, lower, shrink, make smaller.
Speaker 3: This is this is why you know, this is why.
Speaker 1: This is why Rebecca Jarvis broke up with us, because you probably said stupid stuff.
Speaker 3: Hey, and then she was like, I'm done.
Speaker 2: There's another We haven't gotten the details specifically yet if this is considered an actual threat, but police have reportedly found explosives in a car near a rally site for Trump. This is on Long Island ahead of a speech tonight. If it's confirmed, then I guess you could say this would be a third assassination to Tap. Again, the details are sketchy at this point. They have apparently detained somebody who was running away from the scene of a vehicle that did contain some sort of explosives, and again we don't know if it was fireworks, if it was something more nefarious than that. That rally is expected tonight at the Nassau Coliseum about seven o'clock New York time.
Speaker 1: Well, Diddy is taking another swing at getting out on bail.
Speaker 3: He's upping his offer to the court.
Speaker 1: He says he will forego contact with almost all women.
Speaker 3: If he's out. Oh thank you, it says, Oh my goodness.
Speaker 1: In the documents, his legal team says, if he's released on bail, the security company it keeps a log of all visitors to his home in Miami Beach, will hand over those logs to the government nightly in order to be fully transparent about who did he is contacting. That he will limit all visitors to family, property caretakers and friends who are not co conspirators.
Speaker 3: In the federal indictment.
Speaker 1: You don't get to have friends over after you have spent more than ten years at least kidnapping and assaulting and beating women like that is not something.
Speaker 3: You get to have.
Speaker 1: Also, who's going to believe his security team and the logs they keep. Also, women coming over to your house wasn't the problem. It was the fact that you were keeping them there for weeks and months and beating them and assaulting them and having them raped essentially, Like that's the problem. It's not that we don't think that you should be fraternizing with women. It's the fact that you held people against their will. And don't forget when this happened. Not when this happened, but when the original.
Speaker 2: Problems arose and we saw the raids on his properties at Holmby Hills and down in Miami. He took off, he left, he fled. I mean, the idea that he's now somehow not a flight risk is absolutely ridiculous. And the idea also of him where was it They said that they wanted to put him on home detention fifty million dollars bond secured by his home in Miami. Okay, So how rough a life is it going to be if you're stuck in a fifteen thousand square foot mansion in Miami.
Speaker 1: Why do people keep calling him a rapper too? I mean, he is a mogul, He had his own record label, he discovered artist like Usher clothing line Mary J. Blige. I mean, this guy is essentially a titan of industry. When you say rapper, it kind of water it down. I mean, this guy had a immense power, immense power. He was at the very least he was a rapper.
Speaker 6: Did she ever? Did she?
Speaker 2: I've already mentioned her in my head without saying it out loud. Jennifer Lopez.
Speaker 6: What was her connection to Ditty?
Speaker 3: I don't know. They never got.
Speaker 6: Married, is what I mean.
Speaker 2: In fact, for those of you who uh, I don't know, gauge your Jennifer Lopez memories based on outfits that she's worn. That Versace, that green Versace outfit that blew everybody's doors off twenty four years ago. She went to the Grammys that year with Ditty, so they were they were boyfriend and girlfriend at least she dated.
Speaker 3: Him between nineteen ninety nine and two thousand and one.
Speaker 2: Okay, now I am not that that matters or no, I'm just curious about the timelines. Again, I'm not saying Jennifer Lopez had anything to do with this or even had knowledge of it.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 2: She's definitely not named as a co conspiracy I don't think so.
Speaker 1: I mean, his transgressions go back to the nineties, but it seems like he got out of control and this escalated circuit two thousand and nine. That's when he really started these these crazy parties and keeping this layer and trying to direct live porn and.
Speaker 2: The mentality of that is it just that he got away with it for so long and then just thought he was untouchable.
Speaker 3: Yes, exactly. Well, if I can get away with that, then I can get away with this right awful.
Speaker 2: He is expected to be back in court today and then, like you said, arguing for some bail. He's in jail right now on no bail. He's arguing for some bail so that he can go leave. There's I can't imagine a world where they offer him bail. No because even if you post, you know, a ten million dollar bail or something like that, he can afford it. So the only option I think it has to be no bail. But we'll see how that goes this afternoon. Hey, we were talking yesterday about plastics, microplastics and stuff and the food. Did you see that Tupperware is going to a file for bankruptcy protection?
Speaker 3: Prescient, You're very prescient.
Speaker 2: The Tupperware brand, introduced in the forties by a guy named Earl Tupper, a chemist, developed a clean, durable plastic to create airtight containers. They said that the direct sales campaign, the Tupperware parties that we saw back in the eighties et cetera are the reason why they can't make money.
Speaker 6: Now there's just no there's no way to do it the way that they did it before.
Speaker 1: Well back then, I think women and moms needed an excuse to get together and drink wine. And now they don't feel like they need an excuse anymore. Like it used to be like, oh, I want to check out this tupperware. Oh yeah, come over, And the tupperware was the vehicle for socialization.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they and they don't what is there a an? Is there any sort of thing like that that goes on.
Speaker 1: Women these days get to do whatever they want whenever they want. Gary, we don't need an excuse like tupperware to cook for the family and all of that anymore.
Speaker 6: I don't believe it.
Speaker 3: Although a good candle party is still a good thing.
Speaker 2: A candle party, Yeah, wow, we used to do those all the time.
Speaker 6: There's only somebody. It was a clothing company called Cabby. Was that a thing? Yes, it sounds right.
Speaker 2: I think my wife went to one of those not heard of that fires continue to burn. The Bridge fire almost fifty five thousand acres now, thirty seven percent contained airport fires, thirty five percent contained the line fire is fifty percent contained.
Speaker 6: We got a message to remind everybody.
Speaker 5: Good morning Garyan Shannon toom me here, a long time listener, I had to go to an opportunity to thank some of our firefighters from Alameda who are up here helping our firefighters locally. So if we could give a big shout out to the Alameda firefighters, that would be a great privilege. Love you guys, have a wonderful day. Thank you too.
Speaker 2: It's one thing we didn't we haven't spent a lot of time on the reminder that there are firefighters from around the around the state, and around the country that have come in to help fight these fires. When I saw a couple of cowfire trucks that had come in from Oraville, as a matter of fact, way up near obviously near Paradise, where that fire was several years ago.
Speaker 1: Surprise they could spare firefighters from places like Oraville. Well, one thing from New Jersey, I get that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's one thing from Minnesota.
Speaker 10: No, no, no, no, no, no, no, it's not. Hobo is not the correct term. I'm not being politically correct here. A hobo is actually a traveling tradesman, someone who may be homeless, does not have a home, but actually has marketable skills which they go about town to town and basically bartering for food or money and all that until they move on to the next area. The word we're looking for here is bumfire. Yeah, there's a bum fire here. People who just live under the freeway bums.
Speaker 1: But that's not as much fun to say as hobo. Yeah, pretty home like a homeless wanderer is a hobo, all right.
Speaker 2: The US military has moved about one hundred and thirty soldiers along with mobile rocket launchers, to an island in western Alaska, out on the Eleusian Chain of islands. There recently have been eight Russian military planes, four navy vessels, including a couple of submarines, that have come close to Alaska in the past week. Because Russia and China are conducting joint military drills.
Speaker 1: Now, none of the planes breached US airspace. Pentagon spokesperson said there's no cause for alarm that this is not the first time we've seen the Russians and the Chinese flying in the vicinity. We monitor it at something we are prepared to respond to.
Speaker 2: It's one of those testing the waters literally kind of thing that goes on. Walter Russell Mead is a writer who contributes a bunch of different to a sorry, to a bunch of different publications about military readiness, and he summarized in the Wall Street Journal a report that came out from the Commission on the National Defense Strategy. It's a bunch of experts picked by Republicans and Democrats, and it says basically that the United States faces the most serious and most challenging threats since oh, I don't know, nineteen forty five, including the very real risk of near term major war, and that the nation was last prepared for such a fight during the Cold War, but that ended thirty five years ago. And then this is the devastating line in the report, it is not prepared today. And I think the thing that he wrote in there that surprised me the most, or at least open my eyes the most, was that in the event that this was a normal political environment that we were in, where you had one person on one side arguing policy and the other person on the other side arguing policy, and us deciding between the two, then this would be a massive story. But because we're so distressed by other things in this political environment. This report that says we are not prepared for a war just kind of goes by the wayside.
Speaker 6: Happy times, happy.
Speaker 1: Time, few times. Everything's fine, everything's fine, nothing, just fine. Come on back to your hobo fires. Ah, I want to do more on hobo fires. Okay, maybe in the next hour. We've got a huge ten o'clock hour for you. By the way, we've got newsome with the funniest parody I've seen in a while. We've got embryos that were just tossed into the wind and an animal round up. Did you hear about the evacuated animals in that line fire? They were evacuated from the Big Bear Zoo. One of the people evacuating the animals, her quote was, I had two foxes in my personal vehicle and it will never smell the same.
Speaker 6: You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 2: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.