Speaker 1: There are so many great Billy Joel songs to choose from.
Speaker 2: I don't know why we have to do.
Speaker 1: You know the Horatio Sans cover band, We strictly do Eighties Joel music, Sir, is this com Roddie's selection is out?
Speaker 2: This say is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this was a request. This was a request I heard from you when I played a Billy Joel song that it wasn't the right one. So we'll have to defer to you on which Billy Joel wants to get.
Speaker 2: To old school? Okay school.
Speaker 1: That's why the Horatio Sans cover band and step Brothers was so funny, because he was mocking the fact that Billy Joel started making really bad music later on Ah, okay, Chris com Ronnie, we strictly do eighties?
Speaker 2: Is this?
Speaker 1: Are you mocking Billy Joel with this election? Or do you genuinely like that song?
Speaker 4: You know? The answers mance and I'm going to fact check you single by Billy Joel from the album Glass Houses You May Be Right, released March seventh, nineteen eighty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there it is there it is. Yeah. Yeah, strictly do eighties, eighties to old music.
Speaker 1: That's why I love that scene in Step Brothers, Siratio Sands underrated?
Speaker 2: Is that fair to say?
Speaker 4: In the in the pantheon of the Will Ferrell era of SNL, I'd say Horatio Sands was a necessary role player. It's not the most elite era of SNL in my opinion, but it's a close second. Horatio has some very very good cameos and movies over the years, and was a good role player on SNL back in the day. So I agree with you there too.
Speaker 2: Horatio Sans has ned grabovoy? Does that work?
Speaker 4: Just how I'm starting? Okay, I say no, but I like where your head's at. I don't know if he could be a shuttler and Jason's four two four four two diamond. I don't know if Horatio has the pipes to be able to handle that type of energy in a game.
Speaker 1: No, I'm quite sure he couldn't literally play midfield.
Speaker 2: I I'd like to see that though.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that would be great.
Speaker 2: Watch my goodness. Where to start today?
Speaker 1: Well, the Black Desert Championship is rolling to Black Desert Resort PGA Tour, returning to Utah for the first time in sixty years.
Speaker 2: Ck, who do you like?
Speaker 4: Uh? Bruce Summer Hayes.
Speaker 1: All right, well, at least you knew the name of a golfer. I didn't think you'd even know a name. All right, Chris, you would you like to take a victory lap? You kind of told us on Friday exactly what to expect on Saturday night.
Speaker 4: I don't want to take a victory lap. I just think that if you are somebody who understands how college football works, you're going to have a true freshman playing and starting a quarterback. Odds are he's going to have a rough game or two or three if he starts an entire season. And Zach or sorry, Isaac, wasn't, you know, blowing the doors off anybody the first few weeks. But Arizona was not the get right game for Utah. It turns out it was vice versa and they just outplayed them from the jump. And the game's not all on Isaac. It's not even close to that. I think you could make an argument that Utah's defense was extremely porous. They got blown off the ball. They think they gave up like seven yards per carry against a team that likes to throw it. And yeah, questions abound regarding this team, even though they're four and one, and their ranked eighteenth in the country. We do not know who this team is, and we may not know for a while.
Speaker 2: No, we don't.
Speaker 1: I started the show off with that little lesson learned from the month of September. Now that we've turned our calendars to October, you know what struck me, Chris and I was there. I brought my son and it was fun to be there in the stadium with him. He's living back east now, so there's a little nostalgia. But watching k State just dump truck Arizona physically just gave me tremendous confidence of Utah be able to do the same.
Speaker 2: And Kyle talked about this yesterday.
Speaker 1: Coach what essentially said, we lost in the trenches, which Utah rarely does, and if they do, it's not to a team like that.
Speaker 2: What do you attribute that to.
Speaker 4: I'm going to go out on a limb and piss people off and say that Utah is basically back in the pac twelve man. You are in a conference now where anybody can be anybody on any given day. Nobody's very good. There are good teams, but no great teams. And I think we have to ditch the notion that you know, Utah's physical presence is going to show up every single week, the same way people presume that Arizona's offense was going to show up every week. It did in that case State, but it did against Utah. Utah finds itself back in the Pac twelve, man, that's all. It is. Like you talk about like six to seven teams that can win the conference near the midway point of the season. That sounds like the Pac twelve to me. So what do I attribute Utah getting manhandled to. I don't know if they had too much juice going into this game, if they were too pissed off about last last year's lost in Tucson. Seem like from the start Arizona And it's a very big cliche on my part, and my whole job is to avoid cliches. But if you like, Arizona wanted it more and they were better prepared, and when you have those two things, you're generally gonna win games. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And you know, I was somewhat taken back at the environment in the atmosphere, and this has been misconstrued as me taking shots at fans. I'm not, because the fans will follow the lead of the football, and if the football is really good, the fans typically follow suit. It's hard to just get excited when there's not a lot to get excited about. I mean, the moment of loudness was a moment of just some noise, which you don't really ever hear. I don't know that I can recall a night as odd as that. When it came to the lack of energy in the stadium.
Speaker 4: Well, I wasn't there. But Utah has a history of land some eggs in some conceived you know, big time games. You know, I know, I'll bring up the game that shall not be named, but the TCU game back in two thousand and nine or ten is the one that fans still try to forget, and we'll always try to forget. But there are some stinkers over the years. Man, it happens. I get it. But like hindsight is twenty twenty, I understand that Kyle is always going to want to go for the juggular. I guess, and in retrospect, does it make sense to give your true freshman quarterback six points on the board immediately and some breathing room and some comfort as opposed to back to back red zone trips that ended nothing. I know, you know, story as old at time, Fans frustrated with Andy Ludwig and his play calling. They were mad at Andy when they called it when he called it perfect season Spence, So I'll just we'll just let that sink in for a second. But I get it. Fans are frustrated. They they I think they drank the koolid that Utah was going to come into the Big twelve and run riot. I didn't because I just don't think this team is as good as everybody thought it could be. And when you don't have your most important offensive player, yeah, that's going to show its head. It's going to show its head every once in a while, and it did against Arizona.
Speaker 1: Can this team be as good as everybody thought that there were going to be? Or is this just another lesson learned that maybe we should pump the brakes on these audacious expectations every single year.
Speaker 4: I think we should pump the brakes. I think we should pump the brakes. I understand that Utah deserves to be in the conversation, but until they do it, you know, Unfortunately for Utah, they won a Pack twelve title in years where the playoff was four teams and not twelve. That's an unfortunate reality for them. But if you really paid attention to Utah's roster, you knew that there were some pretty glaring flaws. I mean, like we're talking about the health of Cam Rising. We talked about it before the season. If Cam gets hurt, can his backup step in and you know, keep the ship moving forward. Yeah, you know, Isaac's done well, but he's still a true freshman and he's not like this team isn't good enough. Spence that like, even though a true freshman is going to come in, they're still going to manhandle other teams because the rest of the roster is so stacked. That's not the case. It's just not And you talk about losing some key players to injuries. We talked about Cam, but like you're missing guys like Connor O'Toole, You're missing Karene Reid, You're missing Kennon Johnson, guys who were starters to coming out of training camp. And I just don't think this roster is to the point where some fans and some local media members think it's, you know, on par with the Georgia's and the Alabama's and ne Ohio States. It's just not all you have to do is when you're conference and you're in I get that. It's it's a new reality, and it's a great reality for Utah and other folks in the Big Twelve. But the truth is is this team still has some areas that it needs to sorely improve upon. And it's not a bad thing. It's just a reality. Again, we have to exist in reality. And the reality is is Utah is not Georgia, Bama or Ohio State or whomever you They're not and they may never be. And that's okay. But I would caution people, as I have again and again, to just not necessarily lean in too far and let the games play out. And so far four and one, Cam's missed basically three games, and your ranked number eighteenth in the country and you have everything to still play for. But this is a long season, and as evidenced by the Big Twelve season so far, anybody can beat anybody, which is kind of like the existence that Utah had the previous eleven years.
Speaker 1: So let's stay in this space for a minute, because I talk about this with college football every year. College football, unlike the NFL has this brand bias where certain teams just get the benefit of the doubt regardless of who they're bringing back. And the two examples I always point to are Notre Dame in USC, and certainly Notre Dame and USC have earned the benefit of the doubt based off their historical pedigree, but in the modern day and age of college football, it oftentimes seems like everyone assumes those two are awesome, and more often than not, they're They're just not.
Speaker 2: Sometimes they're really good.
Speaker 1: It's been a long long time since USC was back at the top, when Pete Carroll was there and started off really really good. This year they go to the big House to get smoked. Notre Dame has been fine. But you know, in the NFL, you analyze the team based off the personnel. You don't just assume that the Cowboys are gonna be good because they're the biggest brand in the NFL. So how much, uh, how much benefit of the doubt has Kyle earned? How much benefit of the doubt has Utah earned? Because Bama's earned it, George has earned it, looks like Texas has earned it, but Utah, to your point, isn't those guys and watching Georgia Bama last week, I'm like, yeah, this is the gap between those schools and.
Speaker 2: You taught everybody else. It just is what it is to your point.
Speaker 1: But as far as the benefit of the doubt brand, what is Utah football in that conversation.
Speaker 4: Oh, it's near the top and it probably should be. But everybody's gonna come probably gonna be mad at me saying I'm a hater or whatever. It's like the year's Utah won the Pack twelve spence, they were nine to three in the regular season, Like that's just the reality. It's they weren't eleven and one. They weren't twelve to zero. Like, Utah has been good and it's okay to like say that they won the games necessary to get them to two Pack twelve titles and two Rose Bulls, as they have in the last few years. But we cannot operate in the same realm that the roster is as deep as the current cream of the crop. It's just not. And I would hope to think that some Utah fans agree with me, and who knows. Man, Like, I'm not saying that that would potentially negate a you know, hell of a playoff game. Against Utah and Texas or whomever if they get in. Because when a one off, anything can happen. We've seen it with Utah twice over the years in bowl games or whatever. Like everybody's going to point to the Alabama game and you know that was awesome. It's a seminal moment in the program's history. But truth is is talent usually wins out. I want you to have this is a tangent. I want you to have my former colleague Ari Wasserman on your show. He now works for on three. He's one of the few smart football guys that likes me, and I don't know why. He's a great person, a great friend, but his whole thing, his his stick has been like college football as a whole will be diluted because of the twelve team playoff, because you're going to be letting in quote unquote not great teams to play for national titles now that the college playoff has expanded. I don't agree with him, but I think there's a case to be made. When you look at the landscape of college football, you're going to have a lot of nine and three. I don't know if there's going to be eight and four teams that are going to be vying for a national title. So this is long, rambling, tangential way of saying, it's okay to live in one world where Utah is the team that gets the benefit of the doubt because of its like prowess on a year to year basis, they're always going to be good. They're always going to have a shot in every single game, and that means you've built a good program. So Kyle has built carte blanche in a sense locally and nationally, but it's not going to automatically catapult you to national title contention. If that makes sense.
Speaker 1: It does, and you know, it's interesting. Josh Pate, who I really like, jumps on the show. He's kind of this rising college football media star's he agrees with Washerman.
Speaker 2: It's the same take that he has.
Speaker 1: I wonder though, if we play the tape forward, because ultimately, in order for and we'll just use the you know, the teams we're talking about now, in order for the Utahs and the BYUS and the Case States or whatever, you know, the Big twelve, I would say the ACC But Clemson's won national championships.
Speaker 2: Florida State's not good this year.
Speaker 1: But you know, in order for Utah, we'll just use this the example we're already talking about. In order for Utah to bridge the gap between who they are now and who Alabama is and who Georgia is and who Texas is or Oregon or whatever, it's going to have to be a pro model where there's a salary cap and collectively bargained agreements between teams and players in order to kind of bridge that gap a little bit. There is there space in your mind? Is there an area of existence where if the super team super league team conference happens that just essentially looks like pro football with two conferences and Utah gets the invite. Do you think there's a way that a program could be built in Salt Lake that does look and feel like the programs down South? Or is it just kind of like what the World Cup is in soccer, and that is the US might be good and sneaky and gritty and get out of group, but they're never beating France or whatever.
Speaker 4: I think that's a good analogy I would point to in the current model, not this future theoretical super league. I think the current model is a lot of things have to go right and you would probably use TCU from a couple of years as the kind of the one team that busted the mold so to speak, and got to, you know, a college football playoff title game and got their doors blown off by Georgia. For Utah to contend and be one of those teams in a future theoretical super league, it will require a whole ton of money, a ton of you know, investment in still what Utah does best, which is player development. I don't think that will ever leave. But in this theoretical scenario, as always, you'll have to have in my opinion, a potential top ten quarterback in the country. You'll still have to have a very good defense, and you will have to have the types of skill players that can break a defense's back. And I'm not saying that Utah needs to recruit that seventeen year old kid at Alabama who is doing ballet moves in real time against Georgia, but those are going to be the types of grist that you need to compete for a national title in the future. And those guys are few and far between, and odds are they're going to end up going to the powers that be. And that's just the way it's going to go all right.
Speaker 1: Moving over to the topic dajore the soup dajour sounds lovely, I'll have that. Of course, everybody wants to talk about camera rising.
Speaker 2: Everybody wants to talk about the quarterback position.
Speaker 1: And it's the one question I get more than anything else, whether it's friends, family, or people on social just sending me direct messages.
Speaker 2: And I wanted to.
Speaker 1: Get your because I have sent people to the piece that you wrote and released on September the nineteenth, when you've had access to Cam and his family. So the one thing that I feel confident saying without any information because we don't get anything, as everybody knows, is that he's not healthy and sandbagging.
Speaker 2: He's not saving himself for the NFL.
Speaker 1: He's it feels like if you want, you know, when he's ready, he will play. He just is hurt and he certainly wants to play as bad as anybody. But you had the opportunity to talk to him about this very thing. I know we've discussed it, but there is this portion of our community that for whatever reason, has leaned into some tinfoil hat conspiracy that Cam could actually play and he just isn't That's the one thing Chris I feel confident in saying is not happening.
Speaker 2: Give me your thoughts.
Speaker 4: Well, I will point to you know, reality is whatever you see on social media. But I did see earlier today that there were photos of Cam being circulated at a like shan autograph event, and he has two braces on those two fingers on his right hand, meaning if you can sift through the bs, wasn't necessarily worried about laceration or whatever. Like, clearly those fingers either suffered severe sprains or dislocations or whatever. You're not wearing. You're not wearing individual stints on fingers three weeks after. If it's just a cut, you're just not I know I'm not a doctor, but let's just operate in the realm of reality. So the realm of reality is Cam is hurt. I don't understand why or how a very frustrated, pent up portion of the Utah fan base is now staring at the Kim Trails shaking their fists. But I think that is unfortunately the world we live in now. It does not make any sort of sense for Cam to not play because he is somebody who has NFL aspirations Dane Brugler, who is our NFL draft grew at the Athletic. When I wrote that camp story, he said, like, Cam has a chance to be drafted if he stays healthy and has a great year statistically. Obviously that was right before he hurt his hand. But it's like Cam understands that he has to play in order to impress NFL scouts in front offices. So for folks who were out there thinking that Cam is just sitting idly by and just kind of enjoying this, I don't really know what to tell you. I guess it's convenient for people to find a lane of futility and just drive in it for as long as they can because they're frustrated. But maybe it's a byproduct again Spence of these people believing that Utah was going to win a national championship this year, I don't know, Like maybe in their heart of hearts, they thought that Cam was going to lead them to the Promised Land and it's so good for them. But again, like I said last week, you can't be that of a football player for getting hurt. That is the whole point of the game is to like physically hit somebody else as hard as you can, and it is so unfortunate for Cam and this fan base that he's been hurt in back to back years. But yeah, I also don't want to give too much credence to the folks who are living on the outer margins because I don't think that is like the overwhelming popular opinion. But still, at the same time, it is very odd and very troubling that people are convinced of this. As you mentioned Tim Foyle Hat scenario fair point.
Speaker 1: I do think it's fair if people are over the charade. I do think it's fair if people are over game time decision week to week. Oh, he's out there warming up, he goes out as a captain and sees the coin flip and then boom, it's Isaac.
Speaker 2: I think it's fair if people are over that.
Speaker 1: And I think it's fair if people are frustrated with the direction the program has taken with the information surrounding Cameron.
Speaker 2: I think that's fair.
Speaker 4: I I agree, But at the same time, we're talking about an injury that is theoretically something that can be measured in real time. It is not Cam's knee that was ripped to shreds last year. He has to get out there and see how he's feeling. What if Cam went out there Spence and couldn't put zip on the ball and through five picks against Arizona. I'm just saying, like, if that happened, how are we going to view that potential scenario? Then fans would be even more mad. Cam shouldn't have been playing. He wasn't ready. Why do you put himself out there? I understand the frustration, but like while last year was a will he won't he from like a practice point of view up until about this point last year, this is very much like potential in real time. Let's see how he looks. You don't want to put a quarterback out there that can throw it as fast as me. You don't, You don't. It makes no sense to do that. So if and if Cam's somebody who says he's not ready, it makes sense for a guy who has led you to two PAC twelve titles. You got to listen to that guy because he's not going to like put himself above the team. That's not who he is. So I again, I don't understand this line of thinking where like Cam is hurt and he's going to be hurt until he comes back in place like I don't I don't want to sound like a parent, but you kind of got to suck it up and deal with it. Fans, that's just the reality.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's hard to argue with that all right.
Speaker 1: Away from Utah over to the potential biggest, if not, if not the biggest one of the top three or four biggest surprises in college football. I don't think it's a surprise to Kalanie. I don't think it's a surprise to Jay Hill. BYU finds themselves five and zero and atop the table. Well, sorry, football fans, A top the standings in the Big twelve, as they've won a couple of conference games and they've stayed clean.
Speaker 2: How real is this start? What are you ready to say on this Wednesday about by U?
Speaker 4: Don't know if I can declare them legit yet. I think I want to see them get through the month of October, even before the Utah game. I think Arizona will present a very stiff test for this team. I'm telling you, man, Noah Fafita, what a player. I mean, we talk about, you know, the whole stereotypes of you need tall quarterbacks and you need these measurements or whatever like that kid can really play and he is a hell of a players. So I think BYU will have their handsful when Arizona comes to town next week. I want to see them, you know, see how they play against Arizona, Okay State, and you know, a trip to UCF, because while UCF did get beat by Colorado, there's still a very different team compared to most teams that you know BYU and Utah will play this year in that like they want to run the ball fifty times a game, and you never know how games like that will pan out. So you know, kudos to Kilani and Aaron and Jay and those players. They basically told everyone to go fly a kite. You know, I think they were picked thirteenth or fourteenth to start the season. Nobody really envisioned them being five to zero entering the month of October. But again, it's like in any sport all it all depends on when you get hot. You don't want to get too hot in September and October and fizzle out come November December. If they can maintain this and be in contention come you know, Thanksgiving time, good on them, But we got to see them prove it in the next coming weeks.
Speaker 2: All right, So both teams have played five games.
Speaker 1: BYU has Arizona at home, okay, stay at home, UCF on the road Utah before they see BYU is Arizona State on the road, TCU at home, then Houston on the road. Are we potentially going to see an eight and and oh BYU team against a seven and one Utah team on November the ninth in Salt Lake?
Speaker 2: And if so, what will that look and feel like? Hoof?
Speaker 4: I don't think we're ready locally for that type of matchup. I think the discourse will turn vile real quick online, as it usually does. But it could be and it could be awesome. It would be awesome. I am a firm backer, and these teams should be playing forever. And the fact that it's now a conference game, even though it's a bummer that it's not the last game of the year like this game will have, you know, big twelve conference title implications. So if it is an undefeated BYU team going up against a seven and one Utah team in Salt Lake, it'll just another chapter. Man, these games are always good, even when they're bad. And listen it's it would be very exciting and there will be, as usual, no lack for storylines. But by gotta they gotta get through the next few weeks. I kind of got to see, Like the Baylor game was like oh dang, like these guys are doing it, and then it's like, well, you know, Jake again with some bad turnovers and like nearly let Baylor sneak back in. I want to see how Byu plays over the course of October before I start, you know, circling that November ninth game.
Speaker 1: I had a couple of other questions for you, Chris, but I'm getting a colon oscar by tomorrow and today's prep day, so I really have to go. I appreciate your time, and yeah, man, I gotta go, so watch out too.
Speaker 4: I appreciate you. Good luck, man,