Speaker 1: All right, so today we're going to try to demystify the world of Windows Server. We got a guide here all about installing and configuring it, and we're going to pull out the most useful and sometimes surprising things that you should know to get up to speed quickly, you know, if you're just trying to get a handle on this stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sounds good.
Speaker 1: For example, get this, there are now two versions of IP addresses. Oh wow, IPv four A and d IPv six. I don't know about you, but that's news to me. We're also going to cover everything from the basics, like what exactly is is a server, all the way to more complex things like storage spaces and virtual machines. Really trying to give you that efficient kind of like crash course in this whole world.
Speaker 2: Sounds like a plan.
Speaker 1: So let's start by laying the foundation. What is the difference between the operating system on my laptop and a server operating system? I mean they both let you run programs.
Speaker 2: Right, Well, yeah, they do, but a server operating system is built for like way more demanding tasks. It's designed to be like constantly connected to a network. It's running backackground processes without you even noticing, and it's letting like tons of users share resources like files and printers. Think of it as the engine behind a company's website or email system.
Speaker 1: Okay, so it's not just about running microsoftware. There's a whole lot more going on behind the scenes. But even within the world of server operating systems, there are different options, Right, why would you choose one edition of Windows Server over another?
Speaker 2: That's a good question. Well, it's kind of like you wouldn't use a screwdriver to hammer and a nail, right. You choose the additional Windows Server that fits what you need to do. So if you're like a smaller business, you might only need the Essentials edition. But just knowing that there's a data center edition out there, yeah, designed for massive virtualization, it kind of gives you a sense of the scale and possibilities out there.
Speaker 1: Got it. So it's like choosing the right tool for the job. But once you've picked the addition you need, how do you actually install this thing?
Speaker 2: Well, the good news is the installation process is actually pretty straightforward. You just boot from the installation media, choose your language settings. This server pretty much walks you through the rest. There are a few crucial steps you'll want to pay attention to, though, like setting the administrator password and activating the server.
Speaker 1: Speaking of activation, how long do you have before things start going haywire?
Speaker 2: You have a ten day grace period to activate, and after that you'll start getting some pretty persistent reminders, like your desktop background will turn black and it'll restart every hour, which can be a major disruption if you're trying to get work done.
Speaker 1: So it doesn't like self destruct, but it definitely lets you know you need to get on that.
Speaker 2: Now, tell me about this server Core thing. Is that some kind of like bare bones expert level mode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you could say that server Core is a command line only interface, meaning no fancy graphics, just text commands. It might sound kind of intimidating, but it actually uses fewer resources and it has a smaller footprint, which makes it ideal if you just want maximum efficiency for certain tasks. So it's like choosing a manual transmission over and automatic. Maybe a little trickier to use, but potentially more efficient. So you're telling me, I could actually switch back and forth between the full graphical interface and server Core exactly.
Speaker 2: It's not an all or nothing decision. You can choose what works best for you depending on the task at hand.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's pretty flexible. Now let's talk about storage. Because data is the lifeblood of any server. I'm guessing it's not just about having a big hard drive anymore.
Speaker 2: No, definitely not. You need to think about things like fault tolerance, which means making sure you don't lose all your data if a hard drive crashes. Performance is also crucial because nobody wants to wait forever for their files to load. And then there's RAID, which stands for a redundant array of independent discs RAID.
Speaker 1: Okay, break that down for me. That sounds a little intimidating.
Speaker 2: It's actually a pretty clever way to combine multiple hard drives for either better performance or better protection against data loss. Imagine spreading your data across multiple baskets. If one bad skit breaks, you haven't lost everything.
Speaker 1: So it's like a built in backup system. That makes sense. But I've also heard about something called storage spaces. Is that related to RAID at all?
Speaker 2: So storage spaces is a newer technology introduced in Windows Server twenty twelve, and it's even more flexible than RAID. Think of it like virtualizing your hard drives. You can pull together drives of different sizes and types and then create what it called virtual discs from that pool, with different configurations depending on whether you want speed, reliability, or a balance of both.
Speaker 1: Wait, so you're saying I could take a bunch of old hard drives lying around, pull them together and create like a super drive.
Speaker 2: Essentially, yes, and you get to choose the configuration. For example, a mirror layout duplicates your data on two drives, so that's for like maximum protection against drive failure, while a parody layout focuses on efficiency spreading data across multiple drives with error checking information.
Speaker 1: Okay, so it's all about making the most of your hardware and choosing the right setup for your needs. So we've got our server up and running, We've figured out our store situation, but what about actually using this thing? I mean, one of the most common uses for a server is sharing files and printers.
Speaker 2: Right absolutely, Windows uses a protocol called smbcifs Server Message Block Common Internet Filesystem. You can think of it as the language that Windows computers use to talk to each other and share files.
Speaker 1: So my computers basically saying, hey, server, let me see that spreadsheet. Using this is SMBCIFS language exactly.
Speaker 2: And the cool thing is Windows can also talk to non Windows systems like Linux using a different protocol called NFS Network Filesystem, So it's like being multi lingual in the world of computers.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's a pretty impressive. But what about security. I mean, we don't want just anyone waltzing into our server and grabbing whatever files they want.
Speaker 2: Right, You need security. That's where NTFS permissions come in. NTFS stands for New Technology Filesystem. It's the filesystem used by Windows, and it lets you control who can access specific files and folders and what they can do with them. Like you have different permission levels like read, write, full control, so you can really fine tune who has access to what.
Speaker 1: So it's like having a digital bouncer at the door, checking IDs and making sure only authorized personnel get in. That makes sense. But now we need to talk about the big one, the one that always makes me think of spy movies. Active directory.
Speaker 2: Ah. Yes, active directory. It's essentially the heart of user and computer management in a Windows domain. Think of it as a massive phone book and security system all rolled into one.
Speaker 1: A phone book and a security system. That's an interesting combination.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is. So think about it this way. You have users, you have groups of users, you have computers. Yeah, and they're all organized into what are called ouser organizational units. It's like having departments in a company, each with its own set of resources and access controls.
Speaker 1: I see. So it's all about organization and control. But what are these GPO things I keep hearing about? Group policy objects? Are those like really strict rules for everyone?
Speaker 2: Policy objects or GPOs are a way to control settings and security across many users or computers all at once. Imagine you want to make sure every computer in your company has a specific screensaver. Instead of going to each computer individually, you can create a GPO that automatically pushes that screensaver out to everyone.
Speaker 1: So it's like setting a dress code for the entire company instead of telling each employee what to wear individually exactly. That sounds incredibly efficient. Can you give me another example?
Speaker 2: Sure, Let's say you want to enforce a strong password policy for everyone. Instead of going to each user and making them change their password, you can use a GPO to automatically enforce those password requirements.
Speaker 1: All right, So active directory and GPOs are like the ultimate power couple for managing your server kingdom. I'm starting to get the picture here, But let's move on to the thing that makes all of this interconnectedness possible networking, right networking.
Speaker 2: It's the backbone of any modern IT infrastructure, and the foundation of networking is the TCPIP protocol suite. It's what makes the internetwork right TCPIP.
Speaker 1: But you mentioned earlier that there are now two versions, IPv four and IPv six. Why do we need to is one better than the other?
Speaker 2: Well, IPv six was created because, believe it or not, we're running out of IPv four addresses. The Internet has grown so much that we need more addresses, and IPv six provides a much larger pool of addresses to draw from.
Speaker 1: Wow, we're literally running out of Internet addresses. So what's the big difference between IPv four and IPv six.
Speaker 2: The main difference is the length of the addresses. IPv six addresses are much longer, which gives us like a practically inexhaustible supply of addresses for the foreseeable future. Think of it this way. IPv four is like a small town where everyone knows each other. Well. IPv six is like a sprawling metropolis with room for everyone.
Speaker 1: Okay, I get it. IPv six is the future of the Internet. But what about subnetting. I've heard that term before and it always sounds a little bit like underwater basket weaving to me.
Speaker 2: Uh huh, it's not that complicated. Subnetting is simply dividing a network into smaller chunks. Imagine you're slicing a pizza. You can have different top uppings and eat slice, but it's still all part of the same pizza. Subne and lets you organize your network and control traffic more efficiently.
Speaker 1: So instead of having one giant pizza party, we're having several, smaller, more manageable pizza parties.
Speaker 2: Exactly. It's all about creating a structured and organized network.
Speaker 1: Right. This is all certain to make sense, But how do all these computers and servers actually get their IP addresses? Do we have to go around and assign them manually?
Speaker 2: Well, that would be a nightmare, especially with the billions of devices connected to the Internet today. Thankfully, we have something called DHCP Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol. Think of it as a hotel front desk that automatically assigns rooms who are in this case, IP addresses to devices when they connect to.
Speaker 1: The network, So DHCP takes care of all the address assignments, making sure every device has a unique address and can communicate properly exactly.
Speaker 2: It simplifies network administration and ensures that everything runs smoothly.
Speaker 1: This is amazing. We've covered so much ground already, from server basics to network. It's been a whirlwind tour of the Windows server landscape. But there's one more big topic we need to tackle before we wrap up this part of the deep dive. Virtualization.
Speaker 2: Ah Yes, virtualization, one of the most transformative technologies in modern computing and hyper v is Microsoft's powerful platform for creating and managing virtual machines.
Speaker 1: Okay, virtualization, I know it's a big deal, but I'm still not entirely sure what it means. Is it like creating a digital copy of a computer.
Speaker 2: It's more like creating a self contained digital environment that acts like a real computer. You can run a different operating system, install different applications, and configure it just like you would a physical machine. And you can run multiple virtual machines on a single physical server, making it incredibly efficient.
Speaker 1: So it's like having multiple computers all running inside one physical computer. That sounds pretty mind blowing, But why would I want to do that?
Speaker 2: Well, there are a ton of benefits to virtualization. For example, you can better utilize your hardware resources by running multiple workloads on a single server. You can also test new software or configurations in a safe, isolated environment without affecting your production systems. And if a virtual machine crashes, it doesn't take down your entire server.
Speaker 1: Okay, so virtualization is all about efficiency, flexibility, and safety. I'm starting to see the appeal. But how do these virtual machines actually work? Where do they store their files and data?
Speaker 2: That's where virtual hard disks come in. Each virtual machine has its own virtual hard disk or VHD, which is essentially a file that acts like a physical hard drive. It stores the operating system, applications, and data for that virtual machine.
Speaker 1: So it's like giving each virtual machine its own little apartment in the server's digital building, complete with its own storage closet exactly.
Speaker 2: You have different options for these virtual hard disks. You can have fixed sized disks which allocate a set amount of storage upfront, yeah, or dynamically expanding disks which start small and grow as needed. It's like choosing between a studio, apartment and a loft that you can expand virtual family growth.
Speaker 1: All right, this is all starting to click. We've got our server up and running, our storage figured out, and now we're venturing into the world of virtualization. But we're only scratching the surface here.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, definitely. There's so much more to explore in the world of Windows Server, and we've only just begun our journey. But I think we've laid a solid foundation for understanding the basics of servers, networking, and virtualization.
Speaker 1: I agree we've covered a lot of ground in this first part of our deep dive, but there's still much more to discover. Join us next time as we delve deeper into the world of virtualization and explore even more advanced features of Windowserver.
Speaker 2: Welcome back. Last time, we lay the groundwork for understanding Windows Server, from hardware to networking. We even dipped our toes into the fascinating world of virtualization, and today we're going to dive a little deeper into that world, explore how to actually manage those virtual machines we talked about and really unlock their full potential.
Speaker 1: All right, I'm ready to become a virtual machine master. But first a quick recap. We talked about virtual hard disks or vhds, which are essentially files that act like physical hard drives for our virtual machines. What are some of the key things to keep in mind about.
Speaker 2: Those Well, one important consideration is choosing the right type of VHD. You mentioned fixed size and dynamically expanding discs. A fixed size VHD is like reserving a parking spot. You allocate a specific amount of storage space right away, and it's always there whether you use it or not. A dynamically expanding VHD, on the other end, is more like valet parking. It starts small and grows you add more data.
Speaker 1: So if I'm not sure how much storage space my virtual machine will need, I should probably go with a dynamically expanding disc exactly.
Speaker 2: It's more efficient because you're only using the storage space you actually need. But keep in mind that dynamically expanding discs can be a bit slower than fixed sized disks, especially if you're frequently adding large amounts of data.
Speaker 1: Okay, performance versus efficiency, it's always a trade off. So we've got our virtual hard discs sort it out, but now we need to talk about managing those virtual machines themselves. It can't be as simple as just turning them on and off.
Speaker 2: Right, You're right. Hyper v gives you a whole suite of tools for controlling and monitoring your virtual machines. You can adjust their resource allocation, like how much CPU power or RAM they get. You can create snapshots, which are like saving a game, allowing you to revert back to a previous state if something goes wrong. And you can even move virtual machines between physical servers without any downtime.
Speaker 1: Wait, move them between service so my virtual machine to be on one server one minute and on a different server than next, and it wouldn't even blink.
Speaker 2: That's the power of live migration. It's like moving a plant from one pot to another without disturbing its roots.
Speaker 1: That's incredible. It seems like virtualization opens up a whole new level of flexibility and resilience. But how do I actually interact with these virtual machines? Do I need a special keyboard and mouse for each one?
Speaker 2: Not at all. You can connect to your virtual machines remotely using the Virtual Machine Connection tool. It's like opening a window into the virtual machine's desktop and you can interact with it just as if you were sitting right in front of it.
Speaker 1: So I could have a virtual machine running on a server in a different country, and I could control it from my laptop here at home.
Speaker 2: Exactly. It's like having a remote control for your virtual machines.
Speaker 1: That's amazing. But what about things like transferring files or using a printer with a virtual machine. It's not like I can plug a USB drive into a digital.
Speaker 2: World, right, Well, that's where enhanced session mode comes in. With Enhanced Session Mode enabled, you can seamlessly redirect audio, printer's USB devices, even clipboard data between your physical machine and the virtual machine.
Speaker 1: So if I wanted to print a document from a virtual machine, it would just use my local printer exactly.
Speaker 2: It's like bridging the gap between the physical and digital worlds.
Speaker 1: This is getting pretty futuristic, but I'm guessing there are some limitations to enhance Session Mode.
Speaker 2: Of course, there are always trade offs. Enhanced Session Mode requires a bit more configuration and might not be suitable for all scenarios, especially those with strict security requirements. But for most everyday tasks and testing, it's incredibly convenient.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we've covered virtual hard disks, managing those virtual machines and even connecting to them remotely. I'm feeling pretty empowered. But let's shift gears a bit and talk about something we touched on earlier, managing server storage.
Speaker 2: Right, we talked about RAID, which is a great way to protect your data and improve performance at the hardware level, but Windows Server offers an even more sophisticated approach with storage spaces.
Speaker 1: Right, storage spaces, we talked about how it's like virtualizing your hard drives, but can you give me a real world example of how this might be useful.
Speaker 2: Imagine you have a server with a few hard drives of different sizes and types. Maybe you've got some older drives lying around and you want to make the most of them. With storage spaces, you can pool all those drives together and create a single virtual storage pool.
Speaker 1: So it's like taking a bunch of mismatched lego bricks and building some amazing out of them exactly.
Speaker 2: And the best part is you can choose how that virtual storage pool is configured. You mentioned mirror and parity layouts before. If you need maximum protection against data loss, you can choose a mirror layout which duplicates your data on two drives. If you need more storage space and are willing to sacrifice some redundancy. You can choose a parity layout which spreads data across multiple drives with error checking information.
Speaker 1: Okay, so storage space is all about flexibility and making the most of your hardware. But what about actually accessing and sharing those files on the server.
Speaker 2: Well, that's where file and printer sharing comes in, and it's one of the core functions of a server. Windows server uses that SMBCIFS protocol we talked about earlier to make file sharing seamless between Windows computers.
Speaker 1: So it's like setting up a digital library where everyone can check out the books or in this case, files they need exactly.
Speaker 2: You can create shared folders on your server, set permissions to control who can access what, and even configure quotas to limit how much storage each user can use. It's all about managing your digital assets.
Speaker 1: Wisely, this is making me think about all the ways I could use the server to organize and share files with my family or team. It seems like a much more robust and secure solution than just using cloud storage.
Speaker 2: But there's one more big piece of the puzzle that we need to revisit. Active directory.
Speaker 1: Ah Yes, active directory essential for any organization that wants to centrally manage users, computers, and resources on their network. It's like having a digital command center for your entire IT infrastructure.
Speaker 2: Right active directory we talked about how it's like a massive phone book and security system rolled into one. But can you give me some specific examples of how active directory is used in the real world. Okay, Well, imagine you're an IT administrator for a company with hundreds of employees. You need to create user accounts for each employee, give them access to the resources they need, and enforce security policies. Doing this manually on each computer would be a nightmare. But with active directory, you can do all of this from a central.
Speaker 1: Location, So instead of running around to each employee's desk, I can manage everything for my own computer exactly.
Speaker 2: You can create groups of users like sales or marketing, and then apply policies to those groups. For example, you could give everyone in the sales group access to a shared folder with sales materials, or you could enforce a password policy that requires everyone to have a strong password.
Speaker 1: Okay, that makes a lot of sense. It seems like active directory can really simplify IT management and improve security, But What about those GPOs we talked about Group policy objects? How do they fit into all of this?
Speaker 2: So GPOs are like powerful settings that you can apply to users or computers in active directory. Think of them as rules that get enforced automatically. For example, you could use a GPO to enforce a specific screen saver across all computers in your organization, or you could use a GPO to prevent users from installing certain applications.
Speaker 1: So GPOs are like automated IT policies that help enforce consistency and security across the entire network exactly.
Speaker 2: They're a key part of what makes active directory so powerful.
Speaker 1: Wow, we've covered a lot of ground in the second part of our deep dive. We've dealed deeper into virtualization, explored advanced storage management techniques, and revisited the world of active directory.
Speaker 2: And we're just getting started. There's still so much to learn and discover about Windows Server.
Speaker 1: I'm eager to see what else this powerful operating system has to offer. Join us next time as we continue our exploration and uncover even more secrets of Windows Server.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to our Windows Server deep dive. We've gone from the basics all the way to virtualization and active directory. It's been quite a journey. Yeah, it has. And you know you've really picked things up quickly. It's impressive. You're starting to think like a real sissedmin.
Speaker 1: Well, I've had a great teacher. Got to give credit where it's due, But I'm ready for more. What about the really advanced stuff? Anything we haven't touched on yet?
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, let's talk about how to fine tune your server for specific roles. Remember how we discussed the different editions of Windows Server.
Speaker 1: Yeah, data center centrals and all that, right, Well, on top of that, you can actually install specific roles and features to make your server do exactly what you needed to. So it's not just about picking the right edition, it's like customizing it even further exactly. So what kind of roles are we talking about here? Give me some examples.
Speaker 2: Oh, there's a whole range, depending on what you need. You could set up a web server to host websites obviously, okay, makes sense. A file server to manage and share files for everyone, a print server to control all the printers on your network. Yeah, you could even set up a DNS.
Speaker 1: Server DNS server to do what exactly.
Speaker 2: Well, imagine you're trying to visit a website, right, you type in the address like Google dot com. But computers don't actually understand those names.
Speaker 1: They need IP addresses, right, those numerical addresses exactly.
Speaker 2: A DNS server acts like a directory. It translates those human readable names into the IP addresses that computers use.
Speaker 1: Ah, So every time I go to a web site, there's a DNS server working behind the scenes to make sure my computer knows where to go, like a digital GPS for the Internet, precisely.
Speaker 2: It's one of those essential services that most people don't even think about, but it's critical for the Internet to function.
Speaker 1: It really is amazing how much is going on under the hood for something we use every single day. But we can't forget about security.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: We talked about NTFS permissions and active directory, but anything else they should be thinking about.
Speaker 2: Definitely. One important thing is the Windows Firewall. It acts like a gatekeeper, controlling what network traffic is allowed in and out of your server makes sense. You can set up rules to block specific ports. IP addresses really helps protect your server from unauthorized access.
Speaker 1: So it's like having a security guard at the entrance to my server, checking everyone's credentials before they can even come in. But with all this stuff in place, it seems like things could get pretty complex to manage.
Speaker 2: That's why good documentation and planning are so important. Before you even start configuring your server, take the time to map out your network, think about potential security risks, and write down all your configuration choices. Might seem tedious, but it'll save you a lot of headaches later on.
Speaker 1: Trust me, solid advice. Easy to get carried away with all these cool features and forget about the basics. But speaking of cool features, what about the really advanced stuff? Any secret weapons in the Windows Server arsenal.
Speaker 2: You're ready to go down the rabbit hole. We could talk about PowerShell.
Speaker 1: PowerShell sounds powerful and maybe a little intimidating.
Speaker 2: It is powerful, that's for sure. Imagine you have to do some repetitive task on your server, like create one hundred user accounts with specific settings. Doing that manually would take forever, right, Oh yeah, With PowerShell, you can write a script to automate that whole thing and it'll be done in minutes.
Speaker 1: So it's like this secret language that lets you control your server with incredible precision.
Speaker 2: You got it. It's a powerful tool for automating tasks, managing configurations, troubleshooting all sorts of stuff. Might seem a little daunting at first, but once you learn the basics, it can save you tons of time and effort.
Speaker 1: This has been an incredible journey. We've covered so much, from the very basics of servers to virtualization and automation. With PowerShell, I feel like I've gone from server zero to server hero.
Speaker 2: Uh huh. Well, you certainly put in the effort to learn, that's for sure. And remember this is just the beginning. The world of Windows server is vast and always evolving, but you've got a solid foundation.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Keep exploring, keep experimenting, and you'll be a pro in no time.
Speaker 1: Couldn't have done it without you. Thanks for being such a patient and knowledgeable guide through this whole world. I actually feel confident now that I could tackle some real server challenges, or at least know where to look for help.
Speaker 2: That's what it's all about, empowering yourself with knowledge and the ability to find the resources you need. And who knows, maybe someday you lb the expert guiding others on their Windows server journey.
Speaker 1: Hey there's a thought. Well, there you have it, folks, Our Windows Server deep dive has come to an end, but your journey is just beginning. So keep exploring, keep those servers humming, and we'll see an time