Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, Welcome to Game Mess Morning is presented by ms I with me Jeff Grubb, your host from giant bomb dot com.
Speaker 2: Thank you for tuning in.
Speaker 1: In this episode, we're going to be talking about reviews, season being upon us, and shrink flation making new PlayStation fives worse. It's gonna be a good one because we have Jason Bonelli on the show. Jason, how are you doing.
Speaker 3: Jim Andy? It is one day before the season starts. We're almost there and I am very excited to put that jersey back on. And I have I have a plea for you, mister Detroit Lions fan. I put a lot of stock fantasy football in the Lions. Yeah, you screw this up for me.
Speaker 1: I I did like when I had the opportunity, when it was like when it made sense of my draft, I definitely picked up some. I was like, I just missed out on an Ross Saint Brown, which is the one I really wanted. But oh well, no, listen, the offense is going to be good this year, like I have very.
Speaker 2: Little doubt about that.
Speaker 1: So it's all gonna come down to whether they could stop anyone on defense, and who knows they're going to score points though, So yeah, and I think they're gonna have like they're gonna be trying to prove something because Ben Johnson's gone and they're like, well, look Ben was great, but we didn't. That's not what made us great. So I think they're going to have a little bit of a chip on their shoulders. So I think they're going to show off a little bit on offense this year, and they have, of course, all of the weapons.
Speaker 3: To do it.
Speaker 2: So you and me both are going to be ry. I got Jared Goff as my quarterback, so.
Speaker 3: I have in one league I have the golf Laporta stack, okay, and the other league I could just have Laporta. So yeah, I am. I am hoping that you guys do pretty good. What did I pay in that auction draft for Laporta twenty two? Probably one of the three highest tight ends in the auction draft.
Speaker 2: You're telling me about this auction draft, and now I'm like, that sounds pretty cool.
Speaker 3: It is fascinating. It's just a bunch of people screaming numbers for three, but the rosters end up pretty fun.
Speaker 1: I like playing around with economic systems in like safeguarded spaces and stuff. Like that, and that sounds like a fun way to do that. All right, let's explain what we do here. We're Giant Bomb. You can go to giant bomb dot com slash join and become a premium member. It makes you part of our family here and enables us to do the things.
Speaker 2: That we do.
Speaker 1: We really appreciate all the sport that we have gotten. Just thank you to everybody who has come through and become a premium member. It's always awesome to see if this person signed up, this stuff is happening, and it just it means the world. When you do that, you can add free episodes, you get some special goodies. We have more stuff in the works. I think we're going to try to do like a bonus voicemail for the voicemail dumb Truck this week. That's the plan anyhow, at least that's going to be in the works here soon, so if you are a premium member you can get that. It's gonna be awesome as far as this show goes. Most weekdays, I Jeff Grubb, will help piece your gaming life back together. That includes breaking news and maybe even some of our own original reporting for all these topics. I'll get the to a bona fide expert who will make me look smart. If you were watching live on Twitch welcome, You can always listen to the show later on podcast feeds by searching for game Mes Mornings, or find the RSS feed on giant bomb dot com. You can also catch the show later with chapters and timestamps on YouTube. Hello YouTube, shouts out to Sean for those timestamps. We have a lot to get into, so let's start the morning mess with Damon X Machina Tight Titaniccion reviews. Actually, we got a trio of a review roundups here to start the show, So let's start with this one that has a seventy one on Open Critic. This is a sequel to Damon Xmachina, the Switch game that eventually went to PC. I think this one's on both Switch and PC at the start.
Speaker 2: Might be elsewhere, but I know it's on those platforms.
Speaker 1: It got a nine out of ten from blogger Ali Barter, who posted this on as a contributor on Forbes. Damon Xmachina Titanic Scion is an open world Mecca action sequel set three hundred years after the original players pilot arsenals customizing them with loute credits and scrap.
Speaker 2: Combat is faster with new boost mechanics and orbit lock on.
Speaker 1: The story is improved with better characterization and a Colisseum Arena mode. New features include heavy armors and character upgrades via fusion.
Speaker 2: That's a new system, I guess.
Speaker 1: However, the game lacks new player onboarding, includes unnecessary content like card games and vehicles, and has less impressive character designs. Its main flaw is a lack of focus burying great content. Despite issues, it's they considered it to be a great game overall. I did hear there were some performance issues as well. Some of these reviews bring it up, some of them don't, and the performance issues extend beyond the switch. It sounds like issues with the game itself. Jason rid This other reviewal Quick from PJ O'Riley at Nintendo Life, who gave it a six out of ten. Damon X Machina Titanic Scion is a decent met game with plenty of depth and its weapons setups and lots of excuse me, cool loot to discover it in its large open world maps. Combat is flexible, it's fast, and it's very often Plenty of fun. However, performance issue issues, which are also present on other platforms, so don't sweat it too much. Switch to owners make for a janky experience in places with mushy controls and limp feedback. It's just not nearly as polished as it could be in this respect, with stutters, loading into new areas and low rest textures a common sight, again also on other systems. The overall feeling here is a game that needs a few patches and tweaks to get it to where it needs to be. Listen, I like mechs and I'm always looking for another met game. But pardon me is like I will be happy going back and replaying Armored Core six for the rest of my life. That's like a perfect game to me. I love it so much, so I'm kind of comparing all these games to that. And Damon Xmachina never quite reached the threshold of like I'll go check.
Speaker 3: That checking on that.
Speaker 1: I always was like, eh, slightly less than and I was hoping Titanic Scion would sort of be this culmination and bring all these pieces together and really make it work. And it sounds like in some ways it is exactly that, except for the performance, which is really seemingly dinging it in a lot of these reviews. Any interest in Damon x Makina.
Speaker 3: I was very surprised when this game even had a sequel announced. I really didn't think I wasn't. I didn't think it was on the radar enough to get that. But maybe they saw in your line of thinking Armored Corps six and thought, hey, maybe we can iterate on this a little bit, learn some things from this, and bring it to our game. And I don't know, LIMP feedback is not something you ever want to hear in any situation. So I fear that this one may also become very dusty, very fast. It'll just kind of happen. It'll come out, the people who like it will like it, and then off it will go to be frank. I remember this being the case with the first one too. It just kind of showed up, did its thing, came out in what twenty nineteen, I think twenty twenty something like that, and then disappeared. The PC port happened and we all went, oh, okay, and now here we are. So this is about where I expected it to be. That seventy seventy one range. I didn't expect it to blow anybody out of the water unnecessary content like card games. Allie, we you and I have to have a chat. But I mean, I don't think the rest of the reviews are going to be this divisive, Like we have a nine and a six. I think everybody else is going to be like, yeah, it's here, great, why not and that's seventh range?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I think that, you know. The one odd thing here to me is, uh, it feels like this game could be a winner if they would have taken some extra time to avoid the performance.
Speaker 2: Issue, specifically, if they would have just figured that out. So why rush it out? Why put it out?
Speaker 1: And I get it like they want to have it, you know there maybe before some other games come out, Silk Song, a handful of other things so that they you know, they didn't know when Silk Song was coming out, but they want to be out before the holiday rush. And it's like, I just don't know if that was the right move here. But also it's a small publisher, right, it's marvelous, and they were like, let's get it out there.
Speaker 2: It's good enough.
Speaker 3: And something to be said about coming out so early in the switch to his life cycle that maybe they're looking to strike gold with early adopters who are looking for something to play in the interim. Definitely, but coming, but I think Silk Song might have put pay to that unfortunately as well. I'm not going to say that this is like a Horizon Zelda situation where Horizon keeps coming out when Zelda games come out, or around or around big titles, But it looks like this one just may appear and then, like I said, appear and disappear, and then we'll be on to the next one, which is unfortunate. It's it seems like the kind of game that you know, if you're really into the first game, you might enjoy this second one given and be able to forgive those flaws, which is what I'm kind of getting from this nine out of ten review. But now, if I'm going to wait for the obscure, weird action game with mech overtones, I'll wait for another astral Chain that game rules.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do wonder if there's a chance that Platinum and Nintendo will go back and update Astral Chain.
Speaker 3: We'll see that.
Speaker 2: There's no word of that, but it probably not. Okay.
Speaker 1: Second review out of three here Kronos, the New Dawn reviews are in eighty on Open Critic. That is pretty impressive. An eighty on Open Critic. I forgot to count how many reviews, but there were a handful. There was quite a few. It got an eight out of ten from Mark Delaney a game Spot, and I'll say, like, this is one that doesn't have a.
Speaker 3: Lot of spread.
Speaker 2: It's a lot of eights. There are some sevens, a couple of nines.
Speaker 1: When I was scrolling through it was the bulk of them were right in this where the Open Critic score is right in that eight out of ten, four stars that range. Mark Delaney at GameSpot says Bluebird Team follows its Silent Hill to remake with an original horror story that is tense throughout, though sometimes to punishing, and then Steve c at the sixth Access gave it an eight out of ten as well, and said Kronos, the New Dawn is a great new survival horror property, and I hope we see more of the travelers adventures in the future. The clear influences from genre legends are combined with some original touches to make a game that feels familiar but also manages to innovate and surprise players too. The intriguing narrative, the enjoyable progression, and the challenging combat all combined to make an experience that some iments Blueber's.
Speaker 2: Play as horror specialists.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you and I are both scaredy cats, not ones that are usually seeking out the spooky games.
Speaker 2: You know, I want to play them. I'm always curious about them.
Speaker 1: I so Coronis, we have to be one where I'd have to make an excuse, And it's like at eighty out of one hundred, it's one where it's like I might force myself to make an excuse to play this game, maybe on content or something like that, or maybe I'll sit along with someone else while they're playing it. I'm more curious now after the That just sounds like a solid response to this game from critics.
Speaker 3: What do you think? Artemi was afraid that the critical claim of Silent Hill to remake was a lot more about nostalgia than it was about the actual quality of the game, and this sort of gets rid of those fears, right, the fact that they were able to bounce back with an original game so quickly and to get the score, whereas now people will hear eighty on open credit can be like, oh, it's just an eighty. It's not the best game ever made because numbers are so important to them, but considering where they were with their previous titles, hard thing to do really recognize that it really really is. But like I see, I'm interested in this too because I as much as I am a scary cat, as you mentioned, I find the worlds of these horror games fascinating. Like I didn't play a lick of Dead Space because scaredy cat, but I have done extensive research on that world because I just find it so fascinating. Five Nights at Freddy's is you know, it's more tamer horror, but the overarching lore around that is a minefield but also very interesting. I hope that this reading the intriguing narrative that pulls me in immediately. I don't know if I'll play it. If I do, I may take my tried and true method of watching a let's play on YouTube first In this rams, I know where the jump scares are, and then playing the part and be like, ah, you can't scare me. I have nerves a steal and so I can get this story that would be fine, But yeah, I am very positive on Blueber high on Bloeber at the moment. This is great for them, and there may be a story better told by someone else, not by me, of their history starting out as like a middling less than average developer of these horror games and slowly finding their voice and their method. Having Silent Hill two remake be like, look, we're here, we know what we're doing now, and then Kronos right behind it showing we can do the original stuff too. I think I think this is good for them, and I think they're only because they're doing another Silent Hill remake, right, that's the rumor. Three.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think it might go back to one first to one. So yeah, because one and three are related. Two stood on its own. I'm not sound healthy. I'm going for memory.
Speaker 3: I think this is right.
Speaker 1: So I think the plan is now to go to Silent Hell one and maybe maybe three at the same time. I can't remember actually the exact details, but yes, I think the planet is go back to one.
Speaker 3: First, Okay, but either way, I think it bodes well for that and any future original games that they have as well.
Speaker 1: Good stuff Luber all right, and then the third one here Open critics score of seventy eight four Everybody's Golf.
Speaker 2: Hot Shot this is or hot Shots. I should say this.
Speaker 1: Is the new one people have been waiting for, but not developed by Clappands, the team that did Claphans Golf and Bunch of the hot Shots before this, or Everybody's Golf games. But people seem to be mostly okay with this when there's some high reviews and some low reviews. Seventy eight overall, though six out of ten from roland Ingram at Nintendo Life, who says Everybody's Gult Golf hot Shots carries on the series traditions with solid courses, a robust character leveling system, and the appropriate level of silliness. However, the experience is uneven on switch fans manjoy it in short burst, but technical issues and patch you presentation stop it from being the standout entry it could have been. Got a ninety out of one hundred from Casey Sheld at Gamer's Heroes, who says Everybody's Golf hot Shots is the definitive arcade golf game with countless golfers, caddies, courses and modes just waiting to be explored. And then it got three stars from Yasmine Hubbard at Final Weapon.
Speaker 3: I think they have a five star system.
Speaker 1: Everybody's Golf hot Shots offers an addictive gameplay loop with its simple three button press system, which allows players of all skill levels to pick up and play. However, it's lackluster graphics and course design leave a lot.
Speaker 3: To be desired.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it sounds a little disappointing. And maybe in part of that is the technical side, which, man, it's like, this is one that should not be having issues on the switch right, the switch on the like maybe it's like maybe this is on switch and switch to, but either way, it's like, if I'm playing this on switch too, I want it to run fantastic. I don't get it without like so many of these games being problems. But like where you're at with Everybody's Golf hot Shots, this is what I was kind of looking forward to.
Speaker 2: I've not played a lot of hot Shots before. I was always a Mario golf guy.
Speaker 1: I was gonna hop in on this one, but I was gonna wait for the reviews, and now I'm like, ah, if I have time.
Speaker 3: I am also a Mario golf guy, and I have a feeling if I played it's just gonna make me want more Mario Golf. Also, if you wear anti Nintendo tinfoil hats, that's why it's not running right on Mario Golfer. They're sabotaging.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 3: As Chat reminds me, you need to go in with a slight grain of salt because and this is a quote. Some game textures were created using generative AI with supervision and revision by the developers. Details of this Jenni usage can be found below. Tree and leaf textures and the golf courses were created using AI generated images. Yeah, I think that is.
Speaker 1: So whenever they say tree and leaf, I think they might be referring to speed tree, and that is just the like, which is something developers have used for forever. If they are using it on other stuff, then I would be worried. But if it's just tree and leaf stuff that they're referencing specifically, I do think that's that speed tree tool that developers. Again, I've been just like a decade now a speed tree has been used games.
Speaker 3: So it's part of the conflation between AI and generative AI. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like just procedural tools and you know, algorithms and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: All that stuff is in.
Speaker 1: A bucket together, but it's usually like replacing artists creating content for your games. Like speech Tree has been doing that forever, but it was saving time of person havef to designing five thousand different trees.
Speaker 3: Okay, so more research is needed. If it's just speed Treem, maybe we'll give it a shot.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, exactly and procedural tools. I thumbs up for those, right, but it's like, yeah, there's probably a room in there for them to take advantage of that stuff as well. Either way, this is one. Yeah, I was hoping to play it on the switch. Hopefully they clean it up and it'll be better on there. But I'm just sick of a game coming out and saying that, like, oh, maybe it'll get some patches to run well on the switch too. You know, I'm not gonna throw that at the defeat of the of the developers. Maybe that's because Nintendo isn't providing enough of their software development kits, and so people are developing things for the Switch one for longer than they intend to, and then they try to order to switch to it at the last minute and they're not able to get it across the finish line.
Speaker 3: Because of that.
Speaker 1: All right, let's let's do this. Let's take a break, and then we're gonna come back. Get to the headlines. I want to get Jason's opinion on some roadblocks news because he's always good.
Speaker 3: He's always good for that.
Speaker 1: If you want to skip out on this, of course, you go to giant bomb dot com, slash join and become a premium member, get the ad free version.
Speaker 3: Of the show.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back. Jam My computer sick. I've decided it's time to start building a new one. I just don't know where to start.
Speaker 3: Grub.
Speaker 4: If your computer is SICKI pooh, you gotta start with MSI, which just drops something big in its brand new Z eight ninety and B eight sixty Intel motherboards.
Speaker 1: Are those the motherboards that unlock the power of the Intel Core Ultra series two CPUs.
Speaker 4: Yes, sir, these MOBOs, as we're calling him on the streets, are powerhouses for gaming, streaming, and whatever intense tasks you.
Speaker 3: Need to throw at them.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, but Jane, you know me, I'm scared of tools that screwdrivers so sharp.
Speaker 4: It's okay, Bud, MSI made them jefproof meb danproof as well. Which means they're easy to work with. No more wrestling with tiny little screws or confusing manuals. We're talking easy dbug LEDs that tell you exactly what's going on. Toolless installs for your M two drives and jipoos or GPUs, we're calling them Jippoo's two now okay.
Speaker 3: Hell yeah, oh okay yeah.
Speaker 1: MSI has that modern bios as well, that looks like it was actually made for humans to use, not some relic from two thousand and three.
Speaker 2: Give me more of that.
Speaker 4: Yes, that's right. It's gonna be so easy to get secure boots on the ground. It's like PC building on easymode grub. And here's the best part. Giant BombCast listeners. MSI is giving you ten percent off these new regularly priced Z eight ninety and B eight sixty boards. Just head over to usdashstore dot MSI dot com and use promo code BombCast at checkout boom instant savings.
Speaker 2: Oh I'm gonna stack that discount. They allow you to do that with MSIs got ongoing promotions. That's potentially gonna score me up to one hundred and twenty dollars in Steam codes. It's basically free games just for upgrading. Everyone listening should do the same. So if you're ready to upgrade your setup, do not wait.
Speaker 4: Visit us dashstore dot MSI dot com and use the code BombCast bom c a st all in lowercase and give your PC the upgrade it deserves.
Speaker 1: MSI making PC building less of a headache and a lot more fun.
Speaker 3: Mobo.
Speaker 1: All right, we are back. It's Game Mess Mornings. Jason Bonale, Jeff Grubb. We're getting back into it. Let's hit this one that I didn't put on the rundown, so I mentioned it in Chad.
Speaker 3: I missed it.
Speaker 1: If this had happened about an hour ago, I think, or at least that's where this news story I see comes from. And this is actually from a let's see what is the website Stocktitan dot net like who's like tracking stock prices?
Speaker 3: Roadblocks is a very popular worth a.
Speaker 2: Lot of money. We'll see how long that lasts.
Speaker 1: But Roadblocks is getting a new rating system to sort of protect its value because people are worried that maybe kids are accessing content that is age inappropriate. Well, to address this, they are now working with the iar C or the International Age Rating coalition to enhance global age and content ratings for its platform.
Speaker 3: This move replaces.
Speaker 2: Roadblocks's internal content.
Speaker 1: Maturity labels with region specific ratings from trusted agencies. So this will now include the ESRB, Peggy in the UK and Europe, USK and Germany, groc GRAC in Korea.
Speaker 3: That's what we've talked about before, and.
Speaker 1: Then there's others in places like Brazil, Australia, Taiwan, Saudi Arabia, Indonesia and Russia. It says the benefits for families provides greater clarity and trust for parents and players regarding age appropriate content, aligns with local culture norms and safety standards.
Speaker 2: Blah blah blah. I mean, I think what.
Speaker 1: This really does is what the ESRB was always meant to do, in the SRB being the one that I'm most familiar with, so it's the one I'm gonna use, which is to sort of wash the industry in a way and protect it from outside regulations, which is the exact concern that Roadblocks has right now because people keep bringing up, hey, this is a haven for pests and for and for predators and for content that is inappropriate.
Speaker 2: It's like, like I think last time you were on the show.
Speaker 1: We had some story about Roadblocks removing all like sex sexually suggestive stuff, and we're both like, why was there any of that in there in the first place? What are you talking about? So I guess the ESRB going on there being like this is informature in Roadblocks.
Speaker 2: That's fine.
Speaker 1: This does not solve the problem of Roadblocks to me, Jason, where it's like, it's about the interactions between people's online and people like, you know, adults being like, hey, come into the bathroom of my Roadblocks thing, my Roadblocks game here, something we talked about last time as well that apparently was happening. Now Roadblock is finally doing something about it now that it's getting attention for being this negative bastion for predation. You are a famous Roadblocks lover, Jason Finnelli. Tell us your feelings on.
Speaker 3: This My favorite game of all time. It's a fucking band aid on a severed limb, That's what it is. Now. Huh the fuck are we what ESRB now? Now? You want to consult the ESRB, not not. You know, five six years ago, when kids started flooding your platform during a pandemic where they had nothing else to do. Now you're gonna ask what the ESRB raise your games and Peggy and Usk and Groc and all those other ones. I am on record sharing my displeasure with this platform, and let me just say, what the fuck is wrong with these people? I'm trying to be quieter. I don't know if I'm trying to be a little quieter. I believe my wife is on a work meeting up just a bussy and these floors are paper thin.
Speaker 1: So I'm trying, you know, if you're you're conveying the rage in our in appropriate tone, we feel it still don't worry.
Speaker 3: So like I don't, I don't understand. It was just I guess it was just money. Money was the reason that they were like, we're not going to protect these Michael Jordan mean, fuck them kids? Money? Like what diff what? What are we doing? How does this? How does it get to this point? And why does it take all these lawsuits for them to be like, maybe we should do something. I I there the story that came out by I was on Wired. So I want to say, Cecilia the Anastasio, very sorry for butchering that last name. I might have the I might have the author wrong. But as the most recent one, and it talked about the hundreds of lawsuits that were coming. And I finally saw like videos and screenshots of the things with with blurs and stuff like that, of the things that were happening in this game. Jesus fucking Christ, I are these parents just unattentive? Like if I'm walking past my kid and I see their tablet or whatever they're using, and I'm seeing these this lego looking deformed dude moving in like a like a smooth gyant, I'm like, what the fuck is that? What's happening here? I'm if I see the screen and it looks like they're in a bathroom, what the fuck are Like? I immediately I'm looking at this like, Yo, what is this? What the hell is this? What's the matter with you? Like it's it's basic parenting. This is this is the parent going to the store and buying Grand Theft Auto for their kid, but in a whole new way, in an all new, far more dangerous way. Honestly, because Grand Theft Auto back in the day when this was an issue, You'd buy the game, they'd play the game, and that was it. Granted, they shouldn't be playing the game anyway. But that was basically it. They just had their own game on their own console. The content of the game was it. Now you have a kid getting access to these encounters or or or whatever. The I don't even fucking care what they're called. They could be called whatever, and and and with strangers and talking to strangers viach and sometimes voice, and it's just it's got to go. It's got to go. The only thing that needs to happen to this platform is it has to fucking go. Now. I know that there's too much money in it, and it's never gonna. It's never gonna. It's never never gonna happen. And you can tell that the sharks are circling. Have you turned on Fortnite lately? Have you turned on Fortnite lately? Now? The top the top thing. So it used to be Battle Real zero, Build Fortnite Festival and all the things that they've made.
Speaker 2: Now it's roadblocks.
Speaker 3: The top thing is fucking brain Rot. Steal the brain Rot. Four hundred thousand.
Speaker 1: People and it's like structure the same way as like the roadblocks platform of like, here's like ten thousand people playing this UEFN game or whatever, and yeah, it's all presented in the same but they all want to have their meta verses.
Speaker 2: They all want to have their their platforms. Like Roadblocks, that's the model, but.
Speaker 3: It's a slippery slope because clearly Roadblocks got there by nefarious means, and if you want to ape that, if you're gonna try and ape the financial success, you need to have a completely different approach when it comes to security and protection for your underage users or else you're going to be the next Roadblocks, and not the way you want to be. It's I fuck just it's fuck out of you.
Speaker 1: It's a gold rush in all the ways, including all the ways in which it is inherent with risks, and people take like being like, we'll figure out the safety concerns later. We got to stake out our land first and get to the gold and then we'll stop people from dying at some point once we get all the money.
Speaker 2: And it's like, you know, you're right.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 1: The stock price is up one hundred and twelve percent in the last six months. It's more than doubled in the last six months, so people are very intent on ensuring it continues to go in the direction that they wanted to go. And the reason it's successful is because of the very thing that parents don't understand. That it is powered by user generated content that the platform can take money from. So it has this infinite content generation side of it that will just keep fueling itself as long as the game as a certain number of players. And that's a cool business model. That's what everyone wants to get in on, but no one's fully sort of realized that the people who are consuming this are too young to understand the ramifications of that, and then their parents are not used to this world. They're used to a product you buy that is put out by a corporation, and you have a certain expectation that the content we're there within has been overseen by.
Speaker 2: Like at least they have millions of lawyers and they don't want to get sued, and so they're not going to do anything risky. And it's like, well, no, they're actually kind of playing fast and loose with this idea of if I run a user generated content platform, the DMCA that provides the sort of buffer zone of if someone on the platform does something bad, I can just someone can complain about it, and I can take it down and I don't have to have any liability about it, and it's like, okay, that is great for First Amendment style like speech platform, where it's like someone said something terrible or or violated copyright or whatever, and then someone comes to you says, hey, that's my copyright. Can you please take it down?
Speaker 1: To the platform takes downs like okay, we didn't know it was there, but we're going to respond to that. I think that works fine in terms of reaching out directly to kids with content and letting them co mingle with people that you.
Speaker 2: Do not control.
Speaker 1: It feels like, okay, no, we are now playing fast and loose and creating a situation in which we don't fully again understand the ramifications of what's happened here, and they're trying to put the band aid on top of this bleeding stump. Like you said, of if we just present it in the right way and say that we're being responsible going to the SRB.
Speaker 3: You know the SRB.
Speaker 1: You recognize these letters on game boxes. It's just like that, it's not like that. That's not what it is being put into this box.
Speaker 3: No, and not only that, parent, I would argue that parents don't recognize the ESRB because the yeah, whenever. When I worked in gaming retail back in the late two thousands, I would always explain the rating systems to people as it's the same as movies with different letters e SG E ten plus is PG T is PG thirteen m is are they are equivalent, but they're just different letters, different figures on this And people still didn't get it. They still didn't understand that that they're exactly the same, just with different letters. And you can see in the back of the box why those things are there? Do these roadblocks games have the list of modifiers or list list of what's the word that yes, or we use as labels labelers, excuse me, cartoon violence or or realistic violence or those things? Are they there too? Or is it just seventeen or M or whatever. So I it's not it's not enough. It's not enough, And unfortunately, and I want the only way to protect your kids on these platforms is to know what the fuck they're going on. It's going to create, it's going to it's going to uh, it's only to require hands on parenting. I say to my kids all the time, why can't we play a robots? Because your dad knows better? Your dad follows this stuff. He knows what's going on, and he knows it's not for kids, and it's not for you be a people. I don't want to get to on the parenting platform here, but there's a difference between being your kid's best friend and your kid's parent. There are similarities, are there is connective tissue there, but eventually you have to be the parent and not the best friend and protect them from shit like this, and the only way to do it is to not let them on there. And that's it. Yep.
Speaker 1: I think that, you know, this is one more tool in the parents toolbox, and hopefully that does help some of them out there. But you know, this company knows what it's doing, and it knows what it's taking advantage of, and it knows that's what it's built its value on. So them finding creative ways to protect that, I'm not surprised by that. But I hope regulation does come in and kind of stamps this out.
Speaker 3: A little bit. And it also knows that it's taking the least steps possible to try and drag this out. Hey look we did this, it didn't work. Oh hey we did this. That didn't work. Until eventually somebody says clearly, you don't give a shit. We're coming in and like, let's be clear.
Speaker 1: We know that they know what would work, and they don't do it because it would either cost too much money or it would cost them to not make it as many as much as in revenue. And it's like they see that and they're like, we know what we could do because they have all the data. They're using all that data to track these things and to make the game more addictive and more playable. They know, so you know the fact that they aren't going that extra unit. It just comes down to the oh, they'll have to be forced to do that, and I hope that's where we end up. All right, let's keep going here. Take two was reportedly and talks to fund and publish Perfect Dark reboot, the one that got canceled by Microsoft. This is from Sophie McAvoy at Games Industry dop is. Take two Interactive was reportedly and talks to fund and publish the initiatives Perfect Dark reboot following the closure of the developer in July. That's according to Bloomberg, with sources telling the publication that the deal ultimately fell through, resulting in layoffs as the game's co developer Crystal Dynamics at the game's code developer Crystal Dynamics last week. So basically, the idea was going to be that Take two would take over this game and take over the IP, and that they would fund the game and Crystal Dynamics and Embracer you're still Crystal Dynamics still an Embraser would see the game through and the Initiative would not be involved anyore because the initiative has been closed, but Crystal Dynamics would finish out the game.
Speaker 3: It fell through.
Speaker 1: It seems like because in part of the transferring of the IP from Microsoft over to Take two, they could not agree about the.
Speaker 2: Long term ownership of the IP.
Speaker 1: Where it's like, I'm sure take two is like, well, we if we're going to do all this, we want Perfect Dark in perpetuity, and Microsoft's like, well, we don't sell IP, we just buy IP, so you can have it for now, but it's going to return to us if like you don't make a game in five years or something like that, and we're going to get it back. And it's like, I bet that was a big sticking point. Sounds like that was a big sticking point, and I'm not surprised that that's what broke it down because selling IP, despite what Ubisoft did with Atari last week, that's a very rare thing to happen in any industry, and it's a shame, because, man, I would really like to have seen this game. I would have really liked the people at Chris Dynamics obviously, to keep their job, to keep making this thing that they've been working on for years.
Speaker 3: Jason. Yeah, even finding out after the fact that that twenty twenty four Xbox showcase demo was basically bullshit, it did look like a lot of fun bullshit. I would have had a lot of fun playing that game. The job loss is also unconscidable in a country, in an industry that is filled with job loss. It absolutely sucks. And the fact that the main reason for this is a squabble over IP it's such a microcosm of everything that we're dealing with, both as a gaming industry and as a whole. Isn't it Isn't it? One argument about ownership of a name creates all of this chaos. It astounds me that that's how the world works. It just I would have liked to have play it. But more importantly, as you said, I would have liked Crystal Dynamics to have kept those employees who were working on it. Also, it does not It is not lost on me that something falls through and Embracer is involved. Somehow, it just seems to be like what the they embrace you know, failing it seems I just this is a This was like a bit of a gut punch when I saw the initial report from jashuh Schreier Bloomberg yesterday. To see that headline and then read what actually went into it, it just sucks. People have been clamoring for Perfect Dark to come back forever. They had hope in twenty twenty one, that hope reached a fever pitch in twenty twenty four just to be flushed down the toilet or corporate monthy money wanting is just to pay the balls.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it's it's a shame because it's like, you know, it's not impossible to see these companies make the move to try to save jobs and save a game. But it was Square Enix basically just let Io Interactive go and be on their own right years ago, and they're like, hey, just you know, this isn't working out we're not going to do hit Man anymore. We don't care, but we would like, we're not trying to like end you or anything like that.
Speaker 3: So I don't know what the details of that were.
Speaker 1: It seemed mostly like that it was just an amicable, amical split, amicable split and they just went in separate directions without a lot of problems. Although having gone through stuff like that before, it's like, I know there's a lot more to it than that. I'm sure there was, but it seemed like Square NX was willing to play ball and ensure that studio was able to continue.
Speaker 2: And so it's like, you know.
Speaker 1: You like to see stuff like that happen, and I think that's an easy pr win. I just think that's the thing we should realize is that Microsoft was once very interested in pr wins. They were, you know, when they weren't putting out a lot of games, they were putting a lot out a lot of news stories and feel good quotes from executives to try to keep the positive news cycle going, with the idea of that like one day we'll have the games to back all this up. We're gonna have a game a quarter and we're gonna bridge this gap by just kind of keeping things positive and making people think we're.
Speaker 3: The good guys.
Speaker 1: And I think this should shine a light on they are not interested in that anymore because they were never really interested.
Speaker 2: It was only ever just a strategic play.
Speaker 1: And that strategic play has played out and they are and they're not going to do it anymore because it's like, look, we're gonna we're gonna make our money from Minecraft, from Call of Duty, from King a handful of other things, and fuck the rest of it, like like whatever happens with the rest of it, like no skin off our back. We're focused on AI now. That is like being nice to gamers is done. Who gives a shit? And I get it, don't you know, to be nice to gamers, But there was there's definitely something to be said for pretending to be a good guy enough to save some jobs.
Speaker 2: I wish we were still there, even though I know it was always fake. So just is the sham.
Speaker 1: But it's important to realize that this is where Microsoft is right now. So yeah, they're they're the bad guys once again, just like they always were, and they maybe they're not even willing to pretend that they're not anymore.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they stopped giving a shit about PR once the whole Azure thing came out, right. They just they don't care. They don't care anymore, and that's why people are boycotting them. And it's a it's it's a shame. It's a real shame. Even though it was a strategic play, it was nice to have some good news once in a while, a smattering of decency amongst the shit. But even that apparently is below them now, and they're just gonna do whatever the fuck they want and laugh at us while they walk to the bank.
Speaker 1: Uh, we're gonna continue on here. Nintendo's latest Switch online news could have just confirmed a major leak. This is from Andy Robinson at VGC. Yeah, this was interesting to see. Nintendo's latest Switch online game announcement announcement might have just confirmed a potential leak of upcoming in sixty four games from earlier this summer. In July, many fans believe Nintendo accidentally revealed its slate of upcoming Nintendo sixty four games planned for NSO after they dissected a blurry box box images featured in an official Nintendo video. Basically, they were showing off new features for N sixty four Nso they paused and like went to a menu, and that menu behind it had the blurred list of games, and it's like you're supposed to be looking at the menu, but you could see this blurred list of games where you couldn't really make out anything unless you take the full cover and kind of compare it and see, like these splotches of color match up exactly with this one. So this you know, blurry image for this box. That's Glover, which is one of the games that is part of this list. Other ones include, let's see here, they included Forsaken, I think there was, yeah, Super Smash Brothers, and then Donkey Kong sixty four. I think there was a handful of others, but like those are the main ones. One yeah, Glover was one, yeah.
Speaker 3: And then there was another one that you because we talked about this on this show. I'm trying to remember it was. It was like a Fury something.
Speaker 1: Scars Scars, Yes, you know that's an acronym Scars, which I can't remember, like super Car, Aquatic Robots.
Speaker 3: Something like that.
Speaker 1: It's actually a pretty decent racing game that that's kind of forgotten about.
Speaker 2: I am.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm believing that this is what's what has happened here is that those games are actually all going to happen. Super Smash Brothers finally going to come to NSO in some form. Now it's the in sixty four version, right, but that.
Speaker 2: Like shows that they're at least willing to do something with Smash Brothers on NSO.
Speaker 3: People will get their hopes.
Speaker 1: So for Melee, I don't know if that makes sense or not, but they have Super Smash Brothers on in sixty four at least pretty cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there is there is some logic in putting the sixty four version out first if they want to throw online multiplayer in there as well as a bit of a testing round, because you know, people they put Melee on the GameCube side, they're going to want online multiplayer as well. Well. Whether that will run well remains to be seen. Smash Brothers and online play don't exactly mesh, so we'll see. But just the fact that they're bringing back that beautiful mess that is the original Super Smash Brothers makes me very very happy. And I don't know anything about Forsaken other than the cover art. Yeah, it's dance.
Speaker 1: And forsaken as the most memorable box art for the least memorable game. And I wouldn't call the game the least memorable, but I will agree that the box art is like the least associated with the gameplay ever in this game, where it's like it's a lady with a tattoo and then you play as a ship flying around in a discent like game in three hundred and sixty degrees, it's yeah, nothing, one has nothing to do with the other. And I think what many more people remember the forsaken box art and the ads in magazines than they remember the actual game.
Speaker 2: It's a decent game, though, and yeah, pretty neat to see.
Speaker 1: I was playing it the other day, actually, I was just played the Night Dive version onstream deck.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the remaster, which is of course probably play the remaster.
Speaker 3: Going back to in.
Speaker 2: Sixty four games is tough for a lot of people, but I'll check this out.
Speaker 3: I will got a man just remaster everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure. Just let them let them do it all, like, no, no barriers, let them whatever they want to do.
Speaker 3: People shall let them do all, right.
Speaker 1: PS five Digital edition reportedly getting surprise downgrade in Europe. This is from Darren Bonthus at GameSpot. Video game consoles typically become cheaper the longer they've been on the market, but the current generation has been the exception to that rule. Due to various factors over in Europe, prospective PS five owners might have to settle for a Sony console that offers even less, as it has been reported that the internal SSD capacity is being shrunk so that Sony can.
Speaker 2: Avoid raising the price of the hardware yet again.
Speaker 1: According to leeker billbil Kuhn, the PS five Digital Edition SSD will shrink from one terabyte to eight hundred and twenty five gigabytes starting with the next consoles chassis Chessie revision, when it's available to purchase starting September thirteen.
Speaker 2: As Bill bil Kuhn noted, PS.
Speaker 1: Five Digital Edition consoles originally sold for four hundred dollars when they launched in twenty twenty, with the price increasing two four hundred and fifty euros and four hundred and ninety nine euros around five hundred and eighty two dollars. Eventually, the regular PS five console with a disc drive is expected to retain its one terabyte SSD, so if that eight hundred and twenty five gigabyte numbers. Sounds like, wait, why does that sound familiar? The PS five launched with a eight hundred and twenty five gigabyte SSD. If you remember like Mark Cerney talking about how that was like this perfect number for the kind of SSD that they were using, and they were really happy with that. Well, eventually they revised everything and put a one terabyte into all of the models. I think that was like the lowest available size. Sounds like they're going back to those eight hundred and twenty five gigabyte modules because of costs, and it's you know, this is shrinkflation. This is put less in the box, it's the same box in every way, and charge the same price for it. And that is it's essentially the same as inflation. This is another way to increase the price. It's a shame to see, but also maybe like preferable to raising it another fifty dollars.
Speaker 3: I don't know, what do you think it's less noticeable? I think I think people buying a brand new PlayStation at the current price would sacrifice this amount of storage space because that's all it is. It's storage space. It's not you're not going to experience the sticker shock of fifty dollars more on the price tag. You're not going to be done multiple times, right that exactly, You're not going to have that barrier become stronger. So if you're if there is a way to do it without making that tic that ticket price go up, fine, But if if the storage gets any lower than this, if then we have a problem, right, Like they would just raise the price again. Yeah, yeah, I think I think they would. And it's it just it is, unfortunately, just another indication of where we are at the moment. It's so weird to see this may be the first console generation ever where the mid generation update is actually lessing, like get it going lower than how it launched. It's so bizarre to see like stuff like this and price increases and things like that. It's just where things are at the moment. And as it says further here, the tiiff rates on countries where the PS five is produced thirty in China, fifteen percent in Japan, twenty percent in Vietnam, and nineteen percent in Malaysia has forced their hand in doing this. Not much more you can say about that, huh, It's yep, it's.
Speaker 1: You can say that the tariffs were ruled to be illegal and his reasoning for it, Like, yeah, but I mean, when has that stopped this president in this in this government.
Speaker 3: It's not. So they will.
Speaker 1: They'll take it to the Supreme Court, which you know, don't have high hopes for that mattering and that then being able to come and rule and say, yeah, of course, this emergency declaration was just made up bullshit, which everyone knows it was just made up bullshit.
Speaker 2: But we like this one, so we are going to say he's allowed to do it. That's the kind of Supreme court we have. So yeah, it's one of these things and other things.
Speaker 1: It's like, hey, we try to go to games because it feels like something we can control, and yet this is another thing that in a lot of ways is out of our control and directly in the control of some of the worst people in the world. Yes, and that's not going to change anytime soon. Rumors suggest that Resident Evil Requiem could be heading to the switch to the Surali Reynolds at Nintendo Life. The Resident Evil series has been seen pretty strong representation on the switch, but it's perhaps safe to say that fans aren't best pleased with some some titles being relegated to Quote Cloud versions. We're still waiting to see whether Capcom is keen to re release Resident Evil two, Resident Evil three, Resident Evil seven, and Resident Evil Village natively on the switch to, but for now it seems the companies potentially considering bringing its latest entry to Nintendo's new hardware. Resident Evil Requiem is due for release on the twenty seventh of February twenty twenty six, and according to Dusk Gullum, who has been known to leak Resident Evil news prior to official announcements, and someone, We've had a lot of rumors from recently. I you know, just stop real quick. We never know if these rumors are real. We're usually using them as jump off jumping off points for our conversation, so we're not trying to monger too much. And like you know, he's saying this, it's like, I can't believe what this is going to mean. It's like, well, what could this mean if this is really happening. I'll say that from this perspective, Jason, that I expect Capcom to get pretty serious about the switch to, based on the circumstantial evidence of their most recent talk with investors, where the CEO was basically saying, man, that switch To is selling really well.
Speaker 2: No one asked him about it.
Speaker 1: Someone was asking about Monster Hunter Wilds and he started talking about how well the Switch Too is selling. To me, that sounds like a company that is looking at the landscape, looking at their lineup of games, and saying to themselves, if we focused on the switch Too and then brought everything to the PlayStation five instead of doing things in the reverse order of making everything for the PlayStation five and then reversing it to the switch Too, I think they're like looking at it like, if we did it the other way, switch to everywhere else, what would be the downside? I think the only downside might be that the visuals aren't as ex extremely beautiful as they possibly could be. But I also don't think that there's any reason to assume they couldn't scale up the RI engine when they go from the switch to to the PC or whatever so that they could still sell these games on the visuals.
Speaker 2: This sounds right to me. Does it sound right to you?
Speaker 3: Absolutely? And they have hard evidence in the Street Fighter six sales figures, right, they have to be happy with the Switch To sales. Figures of that game. They have a game at launch and it did pretty well as far as I know, so I think that they see that and they're like, Okay, we made this work and it works the way it works equally, if not exactly one hundred one to one with the top consoles on the market right now, how can we do that with the rest of our portfolio? And Ari Requiem would be a great FLITMSS test for that, I think, because if they're already in development right now, if they can do it with a game that's currently in development and release all at once, I think that would be better suit their strategies in the long run. I do think though, as far as their franchises are concerned, I don't think they would port Wilds Monster Hunter. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think it's that's not gonna work.
Speaker 3: No. I think they would make another Rise, yes, right.
Speaker 1: And I think I think they would treat Rise, this new Rise as this opportunity to sort of fix all these problems of exactly address the issues that people have with Monster Hunter. Wild's in terms of the way that it's built, not just its performance, but in the ways that like you know, standing off the edges and these open world aspects that people maybe don't love, and it's like, actually, that introduced some complications to just getting in there and hunting monsters, which people want to do repeatedly, and it's like this did wasn't so conducive to that.
Speaker 3: It's like, so let's go back to the Switch to.
Speaker 1: Rethink some stuff and treat that as the future of Monster Hunter going forward. They have kind of like a free second chance here to like take what they learned from Wilds and apply it to the Switch to version of whatever they end up doing a Rise to and at the same time building the future of Mons Hunter in such a way that they can go it can.
Speaker 3: Be the Rise model.
Speaker 1: I think them looking side by side how Rise did and how wild is done, and they're like, Rise continues to sell really well, and that started on the Switch and then went to PC and people love it on PC and there's no complaints about the visuals really it's and the performance is fantastic, And why don't we just do that for the future of this game that has always been the most successful on handhelds And I don't know what the answer to that would be other than graphics sell. So we want to have the best possible graphics, and I'm just like, it doesn't seem to have hurt Rise and Rise looks great. So I think that's what's going to happen here. Again, that's what you were saying, dude, Does that sound right?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I think they have an opportunity to use the switch to as a bit of an experimentation platform. They can make this as you said, they can try new wild ideas on the switch to Monster Hunter and see if they work, and then they become part of the future of the franchise. Yeah, that makes perfect sense to me. Now as far as Requiem is concerned. Part of this rumor too, is that it may also launch on the PS four, so they figure out a way to get it on the PS four. I think that or whatever that translation to switch To would be much easier, right, It would be the PS four version, which is also how I think Street Fighter six worked out, because that is on the PS four as well. Yeah. I believe so that if if they're gonna keep but then but then you're eventually going to run into you're gonna keep making these games for older platforms. When do you start innovating for potentially the next generation, whatever the hell that looks like. So it's an interesting situation they find themselves in. But if there's gonna be one company that I hear this about that I'm going to have the utmost confidence in, especially recently, it's got to be Catcom. Right there, they're just firing everything they do. It seems like, seems to be just the right decision. They whatever they're drinking in that office is everybody's brain is firing on all cylinders, Suremonte.
Speaker 2: Actually they're just drinking what the messy drinks before a soccer game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there it is there, and it's not one hundred percent. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying everything to do is perfect, but they just have a lot more a lot more wins than they do losses. If they could convince the press and now hands on folks that Pragmata can actually be good. Five years after it was announced, it completely silent. Something's going on over there that that something's right, something's right over there. So we'll see. We'll see what goes on with this. But being able to play requiem on my switch to would be great. Still not going to do it, as we talked about earlier with Kronos, but it would be great for the people who want it.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm I'm hopeful that they can just sort of shift things over in a direction where it's like they could support switch to going forward without much of a headache and with decent performance.
Speaker 2: But we'll see if they're able to pull that off.
Speaker 3: And one last thing, Chat reminds me I would be remiss to talk about Capcom and not mentioned Kadisugami. I feel like I, of.
Speaker 2: Course, yeah, that's it, the Gami company. Yeah, I need to get back to that game.
Speaker 1: I've a lot, I've really enjoyed what I played of it for sure, to really do it's awesome. Super Mario Party Jambrie gets resolution bump on Nintendo switch To. At least that's that's what people think is happening here with this with this patch, this is to remind Nintendo News. Nintendo has announced that it has updated Super Mario Party Jamboree.
Speaker 2: And the updates updates sees the base.
Speaker 1: Super Mario Party Jamboree now running at ten AADP on both handheld and doc mode on Nintendo Switch To. Sadly, this still isn't obviously four K where the base game is played DOC or when the base game.
Speaker 2: Is played DOC.
Speaker 3: But it's a start.
Speaker 1: Here's the full patch notes, but it kind of just repeats that. I think people are like trying to figure this out. It's like, wait, did it Maybe it always ran at ten ADP on in the DOC mode and now it just also runs a ten ADP and handheld mode on the switch to that has the ten ADP screen.
Speaker 3: But either way, it got a little bit.
Speaker 1: Of attention, especially after people noticed it's like, oh, you bought this expansion for Jamboree, this twenty dollars expansion for the switch To, and it only provides visual upgrades, you know, upgrades for the expansion content, and did not apply to the original game. And that was pretty frustrating because that's not how it worked for any of these other games.
Speaker 3: And you know, I.
Speaker 1: Guess I don't know how important it is for Mario Party to be perfect, but if you're paying that extra money, why are they not doing the extra work?
Speaker 3: That was frustrating. The only person I think this applies to is Dan Reiker, So maybe he can he can unleash his hell at a nicer resolution now towitting people he plays with.
Speaker 2: Less squinting, you can make out the Bowser revolution.
Speaker 1: Now yeah, all right, last couple of stories here. Call of Duty is getting a movie from Paramount Call of Duty. Paramount, Uh, they also have the Paramount has the rights here after this film to expand the Call of Duty universe into multiple films and TV shows. I guess my only real question here to you, Jason Finelli, is do you think people buying Call of Duty every year in DROs in the millions translates into this movie being a success just based on that fact?
Speaker 3: My head's my heart says no, but my head says yeah, probably because it's Defi's logic. This is one of those examples where being so connected to this industry and following it so closely as we do, we kind of lose sight of the casual Call of Duty player. That game is just as ubiquitous as sports games, as the casual player where that's the only game the person buys every year. So if they see a movie with Call of Duty in the name, and there is any reference at all to characters from that franchise, be a price or so whatever, they might go, oh shit, let's see what it's going on now. Granted, will it be any different than any other war action film. Probably not. Are the games different from each other? Not really? Sorry, guys, I like playing them, but it's the same thing every year, So it's I think there is logic here to say that this will be successful based on name alone. And again, like if they show some recognizable faces, that would be great. Now, when I say recognize faces, I mean Call of Duty in universe. I don't expect Seth, Brogen and Beavis and BUTTHEAD and ww Wrestlers to show.
Speaker 2: That own Holy shit, the Call of Duty TV show. That's just like I don't know, like what would be the comparison, like Clone High, like just all the different uh yeah whatever, that would be amazing.
Speaker 3: And TV celebrity deathmatch but Duty, Yeah, that'd be awesome. But this is also the same company that did Dungeons and Dragons Honor among Thieves, which took this true property and made a movie that had the IP but also played around with it a little bit. Do I think Call of Dude is gonna get silly? No? But the potential is there right, yes?
Speaker 2: And I think the potential is definitely there.
Speaker 1: I think if this movie comes out and strikes tone like top gun of fun military storytelling.
Speaker 2: It'll do really well.
Speaker 1: I do wonder though, about the idea of Call of Duty inherently just being able to bring people in, because when I think of Call of Duty, I think of millions of people buying the game, not playing the story mode that is in the game, and just going right to the multiplayer, and so I just I'm wondering if, like, is that such a big portion of the audience that it's like, actually, you know, they don't care about even the story that comes with the game that they already bought, that's not there here for one reason. It's to get online with their friends and shoot stuff. And that's not what the movie is going to be about. It'll be about other people shooting things, but they won't be able to do it, and that's what they care About's why they bouy the game. But I think, you know, when you when you mentioned like Price and some of those characters Soap McTavish and uh and and uh Mason, Alex Mason, I know there's a lot of people in our audience gonna be like, what are you talking about? There are those are names that do actually register with that casual audience.
Speaker 3: You're right exactly, and they and they could pull in not only the people who are still playing it, but the nostalgic people who played it back in the day. And they're like, oh, if they follow the story Call of Duty four, that rules, and then they'll they'll see the movie based on that. It's uh, it's you know, it's it's it's They apparently have data that we don't that suggests this is a good idea. Let's see if they're right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, and they you know, these big companies, Paramount, they love licensing ip that have succeeded in other places, so whether that's books or comics or video games now and Call Duty's one that succeeded.
Speaker 2: So now it's on them to make something entertaining.
Speaker 1: And you know, I think a top gun would be fine, like military propaganda whatever, Yeah, I get it. Let's just make it fun, make it better than War of the Worlds, and people won't care that it's a military propaganda.
Speaker 3: Listen, there's going to be a drone in the movie. It better be an Amazon dr delivery.
Speaker 2: You got to make an Amazon order before I could save the world. Please. I think Star Wars Outlaw. Look all those looks fine on switch to.
Speaker 1: That's the headline from me who watched the video from VGC today where they posted like the first hour, they did a first play, one of the things where they start the game up and just play it from the beginning. And just last night there was a video going around showing off Star Wars Outlaws looking really good on switch To compared to what people were saying that looked like in handheld mode. So people were streaming in doc mode and this video went up and Ubisoft copyright struck it as it was like changing the narrative around the game. Everyone's like, this looks way better than people were saying, and you have got rid of that video.
Speaker 2: Well, now more videos are popping up.
Speaker 1: It seems like with the blessing of you be soft and I watched quite a bit of Star Wars Outlaws here running on the switch to, and it looks fine, Like I think it looks more than acceptable. It is a pretty decent, a pretty decent recreation of that game for handheld in a way that I just think, like, at least in dot mode, I would find this acceptable. At the price that they're charging for this game. We'll see what it's like in handheld and maybe that's where all the problems really are are happening. I'll say at the same time, Jason, maybe none of the words I've said about this have mattered at all, because as a reminder, this game is coming out the same day as Hollow Night Silk Song, So who's going to play this?
Speaker 3: They'll play it in November's on sale, when it's on sale, and they're done there. They're putting this out for the holiday season, I think too. And you have said you were on record last year when this came out of saying this is one of those games that will get better the longer or we'll have a more.
Speaker 2: Positive to get reassessed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, outlook the longer it's out. So I think this only supports that, right, It only that, it only strengthens that argument. And I think getting a switch legion of switch to people who can play it on the go who don't have the PC, the handheld PC, I think this this makes a lot of sense. So yeah, I was watching that too as as it was up here. Does look a little bit better than I expected as well. We'll see what happens, but yeah, good looking around sel Song. Sorry y'all, yep, I will.
Speaker 1: I don't know if the handheld stuff is comparable to what we see in this video of it running in doc mode.
Speaker 2: I probably will try it out on the switch too. I asked for code. I haven't heard anything back.
Speaker 1: But then again, I lost all my Ubisoft contacts when I lost my old emails, so I'm like, am I even reaching after.
Speaker 3: The right person?
Speaker 1: Maybe I'm not all right? Well, that's out tomorrow along with silks Song. That does it for the headlines. But before we move on, like, do you have a plan of attack for Silk Song? Are you playing that right away? Or did you play or the original Hollow Night? Where are you at with that series?
Speaker 3: I got halfway through the first one on PlayStation, then dropped it, so I just bought it again on Steam to play on the Legion Go and then when I beat it, I'll get right into Silk Song. Probably mainlining it is probably not a good idea and it will probably take me the rest of the year based on my availability for playing video games, but I'm gonna try damn it, because just the hype alone has me interested. I do slightly worry and I hesitate to say this out loud less the Silk Song, Former clowns come after me. I this was supposed to be an expansion that turned into a full blown sequel, and I worry that that means that the gameplay will be more iterative iterative. Then we'll like expand expand expand, expansion, expandatory wherever the word is, you know what I'm saying, or so yeah, so it'll it'll be it'll be less innovative there, innovative Jesus Christ. I can't talk today, but we just.
Speaker 2: Did a lot of talking. You're you know, you're free, Just do it. You make up new words. It's roadblocks as fault. But yeah, I worry that it's gonna be more of a side step or a slight rise than the expansion or the full sequel expansion the people right worried or.
Speaker 1: Would want right the term we use right here, like yeah, Sean San is like an expand alone versus a full on sequel or something like that. Is this like is this starting as an expansion and still is at that art and expansion? My guess here is it certainly started that way and it grew in enough ways that we're gonna notice it's gonna feel massive in some ways.
Speaker 2: The comparison to the to the original Hollow Night.
Speaker 3: I could see that happening too, and I think that that will be more impactful for people who did not immediately go and restart Hollow Night once it was confirmed it was coming out tomorrow two weeks ago. If they held off and they're like, I just want to get right in the soul song and already play a Hollow Night, just waiting for another one, this is more of like a nitpick worry for me. I just think that's a game this hyped and a game that's that has been under the on the radar for so long. There are going to be people who are going to look for every excuse in the book to nitpick the hell out of this thing, and that I think is going to be a potential land I'm still very excited. I still am excited to see people who love this franchise to get what they want and to see gameplay videos and reactions and things like that. Very very much excited for it. I just there's a small part of me that thinks if there's going to be a massive critique, it may be in that that might be the plan.
Speaker 1: Of attack, you know. I'm saying yeah, I definite yes. I think it's primed for that sort of thing. I think that's why, you know, a lot of these games like this, ones that are hyped for this year people are very excited about.
Speaker 3: They will actually like when the Game of the Year.
Speaker 1: Stuff comes, which you know is a made up thing, but it's something I like talking about. Expedition thirty three is going to have an advantage kind of against all of them because it's fresh, new, surprising, and fantastic, and you know, all these other ones people go like, there, it's maybe actually fresh and exciting and fantastic, but it is still pretty similar to that thing I loved before, and people will use that as a way to like sort of just hold these other games back. So I continue to think Expedition thirty three guaranteed lock for Game of the Year. All right, let's see no poll question because we did the Bomb twelve. It's a remind everybody. You go to the Bomb twelve and check it out on giant bomb dot com and you can find a link to the forum where you can tell me what your game of this week is. If you want to wait until it's Silk Song, that's fine. I'll give you guys some time tomorrow before we finalize anything.
Speaker 3: So maybe come tomorrow go.
Speaker 1: To gihn bomb dot com, check out the blog post or the Bomb twelve find a link to the form at the bottom of that blog post. Tell me what you're playing at that point. For now, however, we do have a new poll question that we'll get to in a second. Before we do that, Jason Finelly, why don't tell people where the can find you on the internet what you have going on all that good stuff.
Speaker 3: I'm Jasonfinelli dot com on Blue Sky, Big Man, Finelle everywhere else. Uh, sort of sort of in a weird little lull right now, as far as content is concerned, I kind of want to do. I have to say you've inspired me, Jeff, those little monologue videos that you do every sce in a while about certain topics. I have one cooking. I don't know the time time having time is the issue, but I have one cooking in my head about of course magic. The Gathering Spider Man cards were revealed on Friday. Everybody was really excited about them. They looked really, really cool, And then about a half hour after the reveal went live, I thought to myself, I'm not gonna be able to get any of these things because they revealed where you can collect all these and all those like spectacular Spider Man's that had the the the red suit, the black suit, the moo, the smiling man suit, but the bag on his head, they're all in Collector boosters, right, The ones that look like comic books, they're all in collector Boosters. And the collector booster boxes are pre ordering at nine hundred and fifty dollars because there's no that's too many dollars. That's too much many dollars. I should not be paying one thousand dollars for twelve packs of fifteen cards. I should not be doing so.
Speaker 1: You know, whenever this comes up, when I'm talking to maybe the biggest card freak I know, Sean Treva, Shaan mcdowe, he says he doesn't ever buy packs. He buys buys the cards individually. Is that like, is that a fair alternative here?
Speaker 3: If you're if you're buying yeah, I mean yeah, it's a smarter way to go. You find the cards that you want, even if the singles are more expensive. If you just like the art, you buy that single and you don't worry about packs. He's smart man, he's smart boy. He's a smart boy. I however, I'm surprised I haven't fallen suceptible to any games with loot boxes, because that's basically what you need to crack backs. I need to crack them packs. It's a lot of fun, but yeah, it on my store. My local game store has not released their pre order prices yet. But I worry because as a market price right now for a twelve packs of fifteen collector twelve Collector booster packs of fifteen cards over nine hundred dollars, and that to me is absurd, It's insane, and just getting to the point now where the packs cost so much that you can never break. You can never come out ahead. Even if you pull the rarest card in the set, right, You're still not going to break. You're not going to come out ahead because you paid so much to get in. So I don't know how many packis I'm going to be cracking when this comes. And you can't even like depend on the retail sites who focus on the MSRP. It's a nice reminder that MSRP stands for suggested retail price because they sell out immediately to the bots, and then the scalpers get them, and then here we are again. My local game store. When Final Fantasy came out, their collector booster boxes were three hundred dollars over what MSRP should be. They were I think six six nine seven hundred bucks for twelve packs. So it just it sucks. So I have that cooking in my brain. Well, yes I would. I would love to see that you should do that.
Speaker 1: And I know some some people on this call right now that'll be interested.
Speaker 2: In your take on that.
Speaker 3: So but speaking of speaking of Magic Con end of the month, I will be there. I did get confirmation of that. I will be in Hotlanta slinging some cards and playing some games. So if you're there, let's play some cards. Let's having fun.
Speaker 1: Excellent, All right, let's get to that poll question. Are you getting Silk Song this week?
Speaker 3: Yes or no?
Speaker 1: So this is it so last time we can ask that question, you guys. That game's out tomorrow, so we'll get the results on tomorrow's show here on Giant Bomb. Speaking of Giant Bomb, it is Wednesday. Oh my god, I'm so excited. It's a new season.
Speaker 2: I'm done. Although I love trespasser. I did love it.
Speaker 1: It's always the most exciting on Blake Club to be the furthest you can possibly be away.
Speaker 3: From playing a game.
Speaker 1: That's why I'm right now, and we get to see Mike in his costume for Virtual Hidelight or Minatti. Yes, god, yeah, it's got a bunch of bad names either way. That is starting today. Let me double check the time that we put on here. I think it's two pm, Yes, two pm Eastern time. That'll be eleven am Pacific. You're not gonna want to miss it. The costume reveal is going to be magnificent. I cannot win.
Speaker 3: I think I I think I got him an adult size.
Speaker 1: I hope I did, but if I didn't, it'll be even funnier. Uh So, we're gonna we're gonna see here in a little bit.
Speaker 3: Looking forward to that, We're about to see more than Mitch's feet, aren't we.
Speaker 2: It's gonna it's gonna be very He's gonna look so cool and hot.
Speaker 1: Uh So, Yeah, don't miss that two pm flight club. Uh and then oh.
Speaker 2: Tonight, that's right, it's gonna be a wegaman. Mitch is gonna own Wednesdays. He's gonna be playing an O one one seven.
Speaker 1: He's a huge fan of those Ano games, which are looks like the relaxing city building ones from Ubisoft. Uh and, so he's gonna be playing that at eight pm. That's gonna be Wednesday evening gaming at Mike's at night. Uh and yeah, one one seven, and then we'll be back tomorrow with all our regular stuff including game this mornings. All right, Jason, thank you so much hanging out with me today and talk about video games.
Speaker 2: Man, I really appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Happy to do it.
Speaker 1: Go Birds, yep, go Lions. I've had good luck to your team this season. I just want I want everyone to stay healthy. I want a healthy football season for everyone in all so I don't have to feel bad while watching the stupid sport.
Speaker 2: Thanks for a onet. Oh yeah, go ahead please.
Speaker 3: I've forgot to ask you in the beginning, what's your fantasy team name? This is important?
Speaker 1: God, I was the twenty four Mile Murderers because I was That's where I grew up in Detroit, twenty four mile.
Speaker 2: Let me see here, I did just have it. I mean, you know, let me bring it up. I'm gonna looking up what's your invite? My auction league, the theme is Doom the game Doom, so I'm the Romero Heads and my picture is the Romero Head from Doom two behind the icon of Sin. And then in my other league, I am the Savannah Bonanzas. I like that.
Speaker 3: That's good.
Speaker 1: I'm a unnecessary grubness as well, like they're saying, that's a good one. Yeah, I kind of just wanted to go first grub in there every once in a while. All right, Thanks you, every thanks, thanks you ever, Thank you everybody for watching and listening. You are the best audience in gaming. Until next time, have a good one, take care of yourself, and goodbye.
Speaker 3: The main building bed bed bed