Speaker 1: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from kf I Am six forty. My ladies and gentlemen, here's Wayne Resnick.
Speaker 2: I Am six forty live everywhere in the iHeartRadio WAP. Good morning, it's the Bill Handle Show.
Speaker 3: He is back from vacation on Monday. Before we get to anything else, Now, this might not work, but I hope it works because it is a very special day here on the Bill Handle Show. Let's see if I can show you why. Oh no, that's not the right.
Speaker 2: Hold on. Let me see if I can show you why.
Speaker 4: Part twoday, we'll say here it's a birthday.
Speaker 3: Happy birthday to our own Coono, the technical director of the Bill Handle Show.
Speaker 2: How many years young are you? Tomorrow?
Speaker 5: I will be thirty six. Wait, I'm just not here tomorrow tomorrow. So they're celebrating me today because I'm not here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's ditching us for his birthday. What are you seven? Take off work for your birthday?
Speaker 5: Well, not taking off work for my birthday. It just happened to land on my birthday that I'm taking off work.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, yeah, And if I see you at the Chuck E Cheese, I'm off tomorrow too. I'm going with.
Speaker 5: Oh my check is going to celebrate. It's okay, it's not bad. Well, I listen, it's fine.
Speaker 3: It's probably I probably would not have gone to the trouble that it took. I appreciate to be able to play audio from where I'm sitting and to find a fun little song. And I probably wouldn't have done anything if I had known that. It is not technically your birthday, but happy birthday to you. Hold onto that happy birthday greeting. Hold on to it. It's not active. It's like a post dated check. Okay, it's not active until tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Got it. I'm all right now. It is not Ann's birthday. But good morning to you. Good morning. Do you care to share why you will not be with us tomorrow or would you rather keep some semblance of a private life. I'll keep you all guessing, all right.
Speaker 3: Fair enough, Neil Savedri, you have no private life. No, everybody knows everything you do all the time.
Speaker 6: Yes, I like it that way. I'm a man of the people. Give them what they want and they take you. You are definitely a man of the people. How are you, sir, I'm I'm well, fighting a little cold or something other than Oh.
Speaker 3: Okay, Oh you better not miss tomorrow. It's foody Friday tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Oh, yes it is. It might be not screw me over on a foody Friday. Oh that's the worst.
Speaker 3: Screw me over on a foody Friday once, shame on you, same thing twice. Won't get fooled again. That's right, Amo King. Oh, Amy King, good morning, Good morning. We have a story, Ah, you can handle on the news coming up that I think is of exceptional interest to you. Yes, and when people will know when that story arrives. Okay, I say, let's begin handle on the news, Nil Sevadra, Amy King. I'm Wayne Resnick in for Bill and this is the big bucks lead story. The Archdiocese of Los Angeles has agreed to pay a lot of money. I'm purposefully withholding the amount for surprise, but a lot of money in a settlement with thirteen hundred and fifty three victims saying they suffered horrific abuse at the hands of local Catholic priests. This is after months of negotiations, and this puts to bed apparently twenty five years of various similar litigation against the la Archdiocese. The amount of the settlement eight hundred and eighty million dollars. There will be a process by which the plaintiffs all decide how it gets distributed amongst the victims. The archdiocese has nothing to say about who individually gets what. They just said, here's eight hundred and eighty million dollars. Is that enough if you figure out who gets how much? Here's the thing, because I saw the headline and I thought, wow, that's an unbelievably huge settlement.
Speaker 2: There must have been a lot of abuse.
Speaker 3: But guess what, that's not even almost half the story because they previously did a settlement of seven hundred and forty million dollars to a whole different set of victims. So they have paid out now or will have paid out once they make good on this over a billion and a half bucks.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 3: Instead of getting rid of priests who molest kids, they will be paying a billion and a half. I also, though, suspect that this is not really going to cause major hardship.
Speaker 2: I don't think they're.
Speaker 3: Meeting at the la Archdiocese right now and they're going, uugh, we we could only keep one HBO or Hulu, which can we keep?
Speaker 2: That discussion is not happening.
Speaker 3: A discussion that happens in many homes of many good people who never molested anybody.
Speaker 2: So that's just going on there.
Speaker 6: We're at the Vatican going which painting do we sell?
Speaker 2: That's pretty much which ancient secret jewel? Yeah, that's horrible.
Speaker 6: And the hard working people that put their money in those baskets.
Speaker 3: And that's a settlement. And I say that because that's not They went to trial and a jury said, oh my god, this is so bad. We're going to really soak you. That's the amount they agreed.
Speaker 2: To pay. Mm mmmm oh. Yeah.
Speaker 3: That big rally happened yesterday in front of the courthouse downtown.
Speaker 7: Amy tell us what it was about. Well, the big question is are the brothers going to get a break? Relatives of Lyle and Eric Menendez gathered downtown to make impact please for their release from prison. The brothers have served more than thirty years in prison. The La La County District Attorney Gascone is weighing new evidence in the murders. More than two dozen family members participated. They are asking to either either have the murder convictions thrown out or hold a new trial or re sentence them in light of the new evidence, which is that they were horribly sexually abused by.
Speaker 2: The father who they killed to tell the people what they did.
Speaker 7: They killed their parents in nineteen eighty nine right with a with shotguns and apparently then after shooting them, reloaded and it was jose and Kitty Menendez. They were shot in their home in Beverly Hills, and the guides never denied that they killed them, but they said that they did it in self defense after suffering years of physical and sexual abuse.
Speaker 3: In the first trial, they were allowed to present that information.
Speaker 2: The jury hung.
Speaker 3: In the second trial, the judge decided not to allow them to present that information and they were convicted. And then they had all every time they went on appeal, they lost. By the way back at the time they went to every appeal.
Speaker 2: Lose, lose, lose, lose.
Speaker 3: Here we are now, all these years later, and there's some new evidence about the abuse, and this is why they want to reopen the home thing, the whole thing. Michael Monks was there from KFI News and he will join us at seven and give us a recap and depending on if there's time left after the recap, I do have something to say about that rally yesterday and it's not going to be well received.
Speaker 2: I don't think I have.
Speaker 6: A question for you Wayne, with the way the courts work and all of that, since both of his parents, both of their parents rather are now deceased, even at their own hand, do they get any of the money from the like, do they have money even though they're in prison? Will they come out to the money that their parents made or inheritance or any of that.
Speaker 3: You know what, that is a really good question, and I don't have an answer for you. That is something to ponder because if because the whole point here is for them to get out, and you're right, and they will come out, and what will they re well all the other family in terms of will they have resources, obviously, I assume all those family members that were at the rally yesterday would help them out.
Speaker 2: As to the.
Speaker 3: Other the kind of possibly nauseating moral implications of coming out and getting all your parents' money, maybe, which is the moment they were accused of in the first place. They were accused of killing them for greed. Yeah, that's kind of because they went on shopping sprees apparently right after they killed them. But no, I don't know the specific answer. I mean if you if you have a will and your kids are in your will and then they murder you. I don't know what provision of law kicks in that says, sorry, you can't have what the will says.
Speaker 6: The murder clause? Yoho, yoho. A Premier pass for me? I want to skip as many Disneyland attraction lines as possible. Okay, what are you willing to pay for it? So Disneyland Resort will now have a new line skipping option called Lightning Lane Premiere Pass, and it will cost four hundred bucks per person. That's in addition to your ticket cost. And if you want the whole shebang, it's got to be with your park hopper too, because you want to enjoy all the Lightning Lane.
Speaker 2: Rides, of which there are how many I'm.
Speaker 6: Trying to think, what like twenty twenty four Lightning Lane rides?
Speaker 3: Four hundred dollars to skip the line? Wants to ride twenty four of the many attractions between Disneyland and California Adventure on top of the regular admission.
Speaker 2: By the way, you still have to buy the regular ticket. And this is not a it's not a season pass, it's not a long term pass.
Speaker 3: It's literally just that day that you're there for four hundred dollars, you can skip the line twenty four times once paride.
Speaker 6: You're kind of it's a little reductionistic because you're leaving out the fact that you also get to feel superior to everybody else. So it's not just the line hopping, it's the oh sorry, I'm going in front of you, which I.
Speaker 7: Think you go in front of even the lightning lane people. Yeah, I mean how you'll go right to the front.
Speaker 2: How much is.
Speaker 3: That worthwaye that feeling of superiority, yes, being a part of late stage capitalism that combines profit driven motive with elitism. How much is it worthway? Did you ask me how much is it worth? Or how much does it feel? Well? Well, the feeling is what's got the value here. You asked me how much the feeling is worth? What would you pay to pass everybody up and make it feed?
Speaker 2: No? I mean, I just I don't. I would not go.
Speaker 3: I don't know what it would take to get me to Disneyland ever again, oh my, at this point.
Speaker 6: I'm going, I don't. I wouldn't pay this. I don't have any need. The line is part of the find if you don't.
Speaker 2: You know, if you don't pay, you spend all day in line.
Speaker 7: If you pay, excuse me, no you don't.
Speaker 2: Oh, here we go, all right? Hold on, if Neil and me.
Speaker 3: Let Amy King have an absolutely uninterrupted thirty seconds here to speak her mind, go listen.
Speaker 2: I don't think this is a great idea.
Speaker 7: I think it's it's excessive, and it is it's just for rich people, and I don't agree with this.
Speaker 2: But you can do the.
Speaker 7: Lines and not spend the whole day. You just have to watch and be careful and pick your day. And like Neil said, it's part of the experience. And if you want to spend the thirty or thirty five dollars and get the fast pass or the lightning pass or whatever the heck they're calling it these days, you can do that if you want to spend a little less time in the lines, but it's it is part of the experience, and you don't spend the whole day in lines. I think that you you could, but not if you're smart about it.
Speaker 3: You're referring to the Lightning Lane multi pass add on, which is only thirty two dollars, and what it allows you to do is schedule a time later to come back. This just seems like there's so much logistical overhead now to go to Disneyland.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that great.
Speaker 3: I mean everybody should see Disneyland or disney World once, certainly maybe two three times over the course of your life.
Speaker 2: Yes, but like on a regular basis, is it really that great? Yale? Is it worth this? I don't think it's worth four hundred dollars.
Speaker 6: If that's your thing, or you're doing it like let's say you were sellinglebrating in Kno's birthday, and I'm not saying that you go with Kno. I'm saying you're celebrating it in spirit and people you like, and you do that and it's it's nice. But the lines, now, the queues are part of the ride. And I happen to really enjoy talking to my wife, so it's like a long car ride.
Speaker 2: You just connect, talk to me, stay home and talk to her for free. But we do that.
Speaker 6: There's something magical about Disneyland. Though we like just walking around. There's sometimes we won't go, and the passes afford you this, you're not going, you know. I feel for people to just go once a year that feel like they have to cram everything in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that sucks.
Speaker 6: But if you have a pass, you can just go and have dinner there or walk around or you know, listen to the music or watch the fireworks or whatever.
Speaker 7: There's a lot to do besides just the rides. Yeah, I agree, But I think Neil you said it very well. The pass affords you that where you can just go walk around. But I think Disneyland's a magical place. It's not for everybody.
Speaker 2: I get it.
Speaker 3: That's fine. They're trying to make it so it's not for almost anybody. No, it's gonna be all it's gonna be all Lamborghinis in the Mickey lot.
Speaker 2: Ooh, it'll be all Lamborghinis. Yeah, that'd be fun.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you're gonna actually you're gonna actually have to pay for registration for the cars, probably license and registration and all that stuff.
Speaker 2: And then some guy will detail it for you. Yeah. All right.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about Kamala Harris. She went on Fox News and was interviewed by Brett Baer and he, you know, he I don't think he was out of line at all, but he he was tough and he was firm, and he asked some tough questions, and I thought she did perfectly well. I think, to me, the interesting angle here is what does this say about the thinking of the Harris Walls campaign. And they're thinking, as obviously, there are some Republicans who normally would vote Republican but could be swayed this time to not vote Republican because of who the Republican candidate is. So go on Fox News and see if you can get somebody in the red rover come over. And you're also seeing it in their campaign stops where she's showing up with Liz Cheney, she's showing up with people who worked in the Trump administration, other Republicans who split from Trump. This is now their their focus because they don't have to convince almost any Democrat. They have to convince the Republicans who aren't sure what they should do.
Speaker 7: Well, Jimmy Carter can now go in peace if he still chooses. Jimmy Carter, former president, just turned one hundred and has now fulfilled an end of life goal of voting for Vice President Kamala Harris. His son said, they did the vote. It was a good morning for him and good for us that he got it done.
Speaker 6: Very nice, nice, I think he installed solar powers on his head. That's the only well, that's the only reason why he's still alive.
Speaker 2: He is fully solar now, or.
Speaker 3: He lived or he lived a clean life and a good life doing good works.
Speaker 6: Made a lot of peanuts, I say, solar all right, vote overseas voters now. So there's this ballot process, been around for a long time.
Speaker 2: Both parties love it.
Speaker 6: It has its connection here to the US military because when they are abroad or they're out of the country that they can still be a part of the election. Well, now you've got Donald Trump suggesting, and some say without any evidence, that the overseas vote is a source of fraud. And there's about sixty or six point five million eligible American voters living or serving and studying overseas.
Speaker 3: So three states have filed lawsuits and what they want, basically is to segregate all of those overseas ballots. Why would you specially segregate a certain subgroup of ballots to scrutinize them within an inch of your life and depending on how the election goes to perhaps declare that they should be thrown out. And this which is us enfranchising the people who are serving in our military across the world.
Speaker 6: It seems that maybe at one time that might have been more of a conservative group of people, but now there is evidence that no, it's the group that votes abroad tends to be Democrats now and you know, so that's gonna be right.
Speaker 3: Years years ago, Republicans would never have dreamed to try to to try to invalidate the overseas ballots. But the times have changed, and so of the dirty tactics. Liam Payne, former member of boyband One Direction, has died. He fell out of a window or did in Buenos excuse me?
Speaker 2: Or did he? Oh? Stop it?
Speaker 3: Well you think somebody pushed him out of a window.
Speaker 6: There are We're still jumped.
Speaker 3: Oh oh oh, I see what you're getting at.
Speaker 6: There's accounts of him that he might have been high and that he was destroying his room. I know an hour before he the incident, he did post something online on Snapchat or something.
Speaker 2: I saw it. It didn't look like he was under duress or anything. But what you know, the.
Speaker 3: Weird thing about this is so he he even if he jumped, he still fell correct.
Speaker 2: Okay, so we found out of the window.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, here, I'm trying trying to get to Amy's point. I think primarily so he fell out of the window and he's dead, and the cops come, and then the cops make a statement. They never mention him. They don't say we're talking about him. They just say, oh, so happens. We went to the hotel because we got a call that there was an aggressive man, possibly under the influence. Now why say that if you're not gonna say Liam Payne was that man? He the call was either about him or it was not about him. If it was not about him, you don't have to say anything. And if it was about him, if you're gonna say something, shouldn't you tell us who you're talking about. So I don't know why they did it that way, unless it's like, hey, we were called for a guy who is maybe under the influence and acting radically wink wink.
Speaker 2: Well maybe they didn't know who he was.
Speaker 6: They weren't called for him, They were called for some guy who later turned out to be No, but.
Speaker 3: They would they would know it was the guy who jumped or fell out of the window, whether whether they knew his identity or not. Don't you be an apologist for the Buenos Aires PD Neil.
Speaker 6: I'm just concerned that they're not here to defend themselves.
Speaker 2: They'll be fine. New rules, no way.
Speaker 7: Judge and Georgia has declared that seven new election rules recently passed by the state election board are illegal, unconstitutional, and void. The rules invalidated by the judge include one that requires the number of ballots to be hand counted after the close the polls closed, and two that have to do with certifying the election results.
Speaker 3: They tried a lot that state election board run by Republican and this judge said no to virtually all of it. And I like, what did you say? Can say the part again about what he declared those laws to.
Speaker 2: Be illegal, unconstitutional, and void.
Speaker 3: So what do these election laws that were overturned have in common with showman Nathan Lane?
Speaker 2: They're both triple threats?
Speaker 6: Oh wow, wow.
Speaker 3: I mean anyway, he really the judge really went to town because if they're uncon because this is Russian nesting dolls of legal status. If you're unconstitutional, then by default you're illegal and void. You see what I'm saying, Like he could have just said they're unconstitutional, but he really wanted to hit.
Speaker 4: All.
Speaker 2: He wanted to really beat him up.
Speaker 6: It's like a preacher that says everything three times, God will come down and heal you, take away your.
Speaker 2: Pain, bare your cross. Yes, it's like exactly what it's like. I got it. Speaking of a godlike figure.
Speaker 6: Oh boy, well triple threat all right, Elon Musk tech mogul. Maybe you've heard of him. World's richest person, kind of a guy you might know. Apparently put more than seventy million into helping Donald Trump and other Republicans win November's election, making him the biggest donor to the GOP causes in this campaign season. This particular pack is called America Pack, and that, of course is one of those super political action committees. And I remember, you know, he says American Pack is aiming for common sense, centrist values. That's up to you, I suppose, But I remember when they were originally saying that he was going to give forty million dollars a month or something. So I don't know where this number comes from and all of that, but yeah.
Speaker 3: These the ability of some of these people to be so impossibly two face. They should be in the DC Comics universe with how two face they are. Jd Vance, who was talking the smackiest smack about Donald Trump and is now his running mate Eon Musk, who used to talk about he couldn't wait for Donald Trump to go away, and is now spending a bunch of money to help him be the president.
Speaker 2: Again. Odd, isn't it. It's not odd, it's money.
Speaker 7: Oh, I bet he'd buy those four hundred dollars Premier Lightning line passes.
Speaker 6: Who elon Musk only for Trump and Trump doesn't even need him.
Speaker 3: There's a new technology coming to a supermarket near you that many people are saying is evil. It's called ESL, or Electronic shelving labels. They're basically digital price tags, and many, including some people in Congress, are saying this is going to lead to dynamic pricing of your groceries and discriminatory price gouging because these digital tags also have facial recognition, so you walk up to the mayonnaise and it can see your face and it can change the price if it wants to. Now, these are coming to Kroger now, so that would mean rouse probably. I don't know if Kroger trickles down all of their ideas to all of their subsidiary names, but around here that would be a rouse.
Speaker 2: For example, they say.
Speaker 3: What it allows them to do is, let's say they put something on sale.
Speaker 2: They don't have to send a guy around to do it.
Speaker 3: They can just go, oh, the mayonnaise is now fifty cents off.
Speaker 2: Boom, now it's on the tag. See.
Speaker 3: It's just like when Wendy's was taught about their digital menu signs and and dynamic pricing. I don't think they ever said dynamic pricing, and Kroger is not saying the phrase dynamic pricing, and people, well it went crazy and Wendy's Wendy said, we would never use it to raise the price of anything. It allows us to push deals through immediately. And I'm I'm hoping that's Kroger's idea as well. Dynamic pricing only in the sense that maybe there's something we want to really highlight, or maybe we have.
Speaker 2: Too much and we want to facial facial recognition part, well.
Speaker 3: That's the part I don't unless it's going to be tied into your loyalty account and they'll know it's you.
Speaker 2: And they'll know if you've bought it before.
Speaker 7: Like when I go to my Pavilions app, it says, here's items that you like and have bought before, and then they show me if there's if they're on special, so maybe it'll go bring that one's on.
Speaker 2: Sale, or maybe they make it on just for you as a perk.
Speaker 3: Right now, this is us ascribing only the best intentions here. I'm not naive at all. And you know, Cono, the bump you played coming in is not about the money. I believe it's absolutely about the money. But I'm not sure that even a big corporation as greedy as they are, I'm not sure they would put a system in place to say, oh, there's a black shopper, raise the price of the cereal.
Speaker 2: So I'll have to see it when it rolls out.
Speaker 3: I guess when it rolls out, we'll see what it does and how it works. And hey, public sentiment shut down Wendy's plan, So if this is actually bad in any way, public sentiment I assume will shut it down.
Speaker 7: So at this point, though, Wayne, if I'm understanding, they're Kruger's not doing this. They're not doing price gouging. The lawmakers are basically wanting to pass a preemptive law.
Speaker 3: Yes, the lawmakers like Rashida Khalieb, they're assuming the worst. We trying here to assume the best. She and other lawmakers they're assuming the worst. And this is where we are with technology. Every time there's a new technology there And I'm not even criticizing these people.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying, there's a.
Speaker 3: Group of people who immediately look at what's the worst thing they could do with it? What's the most evil thing that could be done with this technology. Probably should be grateful to them for, you know, pointing out the possible caveats.
Speaker 2: But I don't want to amy. I don't want to be a pill about it. Oh okay.
Speaker 7: Three states are pushing the envelope when it comes to pills. Four months after the Supreme Court tossed out a high profile challenge to the abortion drug mif at pristone, Missouri, Kansas, and Idaho have filed in an amended lawsuit in federal court in Texas a US District judge to roll back the efforts of the FDA over the past eight years to ease access to the drug, things like allowing it to be dispensed through the mail.
Speaker 2: How do they do that? Didn't the Supreme Court already decide this? Well?
Speaker 3: What happened is the Supreme Court threw it out because they said the people who were suing had no standing. Oh okay, which means they never got into the merits of any of the claims. Now to the state, the States are going to make a case that they have standing, and then you're going to have to deal with what we want you to look at.
Speaker 2: We'll see how that.
Speaker 3: Of course, you know, they started with the most reliably maga level conservative federal judge in the country. They went right to that guy, Matthew Kasmeric, who you can count on him to rule your way, which doesn't necessarily mean anything as the case moves through the appeals process. Oh, we brought out the big guns literally.
Speaker 2: Indeed we did.
Speaker 6: The United States carried out a round of strikes and Yemen against the I ran back to Hoothy's just yesterday evening and they brought out the B two bombers, stealth bombers coming out hitting facilities housed these military targets. These were some of the weapons that were used to target military and civilian vessels in the Red Sea and the Gulf of Aiden.
Speaker 2: And they hit hard, hit fast, hit heavy well.
Speaker 3: Because the Hoothis have been a real pain in the you know what, over there targeting commercial ships like that. It's not even that they're engaging in war against other military entities. You know, they're shooting. They're shooting at commercial ships and stuff, and so the US has said, we don't really want that happening. Up until now, they have not used the Bee Too, which is a much bigger jet than what they've been using. And guess what that means, bigger, heavier bombs. Hoo, hooty, goodbye, don't cry. Oh that reminds me of that band that we've dropped these big bombs over there, hooty and the blow.
Speaker 2: Ups and thank you.
Speaker 3: And gives me the big grin that I so dist Thank you, Anne.
Speaker 2: The rest of you could go eat a worm.
Speaker 6: I hope mayonnaise goes up when you walk into the Kroger.
Speaker 2: What if they did go what if they did that?
Speaker 7: They went, oh, you've had a little too much mayo, and we're going to double the price for you.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, they put veggies on sale when I walk in, all salad.
Speaker 3: Anybody trying to encourage you great the digital price tags like your mom.
Speaker 2: Now it's fat shamed at the ground my mom. I met my mom too. I was that was not a your mom joke.
Speaker 3: Neil, This is KFI AM six forty Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show.
Speaker 3: Catch My Show Monday through Friday, six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.