Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine hileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families. Each Wednesday we bring you our thoughts on a newer entertainment property, And for this week of February third, we're continuing with A Man on the Inside, Season one, episode two. This one's called The Man Who Knew Too Much about Bridges. So and this also, I mean, well, we'll talk more about the main plot, but there was definitely a whole parenting.
Speaker 1: Plot, Oh my gosh, I mean as cute as all the spying part was. I was watching this for that his daughter and her husband dealing with the fact that all three of their sons broke bones by doing something stupid stunt with a trampoline in a basketball net. And yeah, and she was feeling the baseline of our job is keeping them alive.
Speaker 2: Hey, they're alive. And the one doesn't know how to make a peanut butter. Where do we keep the bread? Where do we keep the panaf?
Speaker 1: Yes, that was so wonderful, she says. I pretty much locked up that mother of the Year award. But yes, for inspiration's sake, I do really like the thing that her father tells her at the end, which is that, you know, what are the chances that you're both smart people and you care a lot? Is it more likely that she was screwed up or that they did something stupid? Because teenagers are stupid, right, And that is a good thing to remind yourself as a parent. It doesn't work, but it's good to remind yourself anywhere. I take responsibility for everything when in fact, you know what, sometimes kids are just dumb. Sometimes they just do the wrong thing. Sometimes they don't care the way you care. And as he said, the simplest explanation is usually the right one. So I'm gonna I'm gonna make a sampler of that speech and put it up over my desk.
Speaker 2: Be sure to peers are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't have teenagers anymore.
Speaker 2: But you know, do you think that she had half a second of like at least they weren't on their phones.
Speaker 1: That's true, but they are.
Speaker 2: Probably filming it for TikTok.
Speaker 1: I would absolutely, absolutely, but that just seemed like, I mean, exaggerated, but still such a oh, such a situation we can all see ourselves in. And do you feel terrible that you weren't able to stop it or protect them or teach them in advance how to feed themselves. That's one thing I got to say. My kids know how to feed themselves. They can make sandwiches from even a young age. Yes, we were able to get the lunchibles out of the fridge. So whenever somebody is going to tell me, you know, they could never live independently, and we're like, they know how to cook, they know how to heat things up in the microwave. Yep, they know how to you know, spread butter on bread. Such skills exactly.
Speaker 2: And remember when we talked in when we were talking about shrinking, and we talked about nannies, and I said I never wanted a nanny because I didn't want to have to manage them.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I also never wanted to trampoline because oh.
Speaker 1: Yes, no way. We had a trampoline because it was good, I think, physical therapy for my son. It was like a small pumpy and it has a had a handle on it so we could hold on to it, like an indoor one kind of yeah, like an indoor one. It wasn't the huge outdoor one. It was a little one. But it is still in our garage with boxes and junk piled on top of it. I don't know why it's still there. It's dead for sure, after just sitting there. But I don't know. I paid money for it. I want to get rid of it. I'm not sure he ever used it particularly.
Speaker 2: Oh really.
Speaker 1: He's the other thing about parenting, right, you say, I know, let's do this, this.
Speaker 2: Is what we need in this situation.
Speaker 1: Reason, we bought them something great for them to do, and instead they're out breaking their bones on the trampoline. But you know, yeah, so we did have that for a while. We also made a ballpit.
Speaker 2: Oh that's cool.
Speaker 1: Indoor ball pit. Yeah, that was really good. Except when you have a kid who's still in diapers. A ballpit can be treacherous. Problem, that is true, spring a leak in the moment. Anyway, So we finally saw Susan Rutton this time. Rutten Is that always say her name Rutin? I can't remember from La law days pronounced her name back then, But anyway, I recognized her, you know, with gray hair. Either, nice to see you, yep, and uh, she was the drama the actor, I think.
Speaker 2: But she's the owner of the necklace.
Speaker 1: Oh no, that was not her. She was the one that she was down the down the hallway from him when he was asking he put this note on, oh right right now. And then before that she had talked to him that she was involved in some drama thing I think theater acting. Yeah, theater. So yeah, the other person, the one who lost the necklace. Boy, you can sure see why her son wants to solve this crime so she can stay there and not live in his house. Holy cow, is she unpleasant? Yes, please allow me to pay to have you live anywhere other than anywhere but here. It sounded very insensitive when he said it the first time, But yeah, really, this isn't a thing like Gabby wanted to wanting to have her independence and not have her mother living with her. This is my mother is a miserable piece of work, and keep her away from me.
Speaker 2: Yes, But other there were lots of you know, there was a lot of meeting other people. Yes, feeling wistful about his wife.
Speaker 1: I love that line where he said he should be, you know, with his wife doing things, taking her to the dog park so she can look at dogs. I would go to the dog park to look at dogs. Honestly, my dog gets to go to the dog park more than she would otherwise because I so enjoyed looking at the dog. I want to go look at the dogs. I want to go look at the dogs. Well, talk to the dog people, who are all very nice, go up and asking them what breathe is? That dog's a very scruffy golden doodle the other day that I would never guess was that breed. This dog looked like it had been places and seen things. It just relatively recently sprung from the shelter. And it's like if his that dog could talk, Yeah, it would be a whole Quentin Tarantino movie in it.
Speaker 2: I don't think those usually end up in shelters. So yeah, probably does have a story.
Speaker 1: Definitely just looked just just scraggly, but but with a little bit of an attitude, you know, like, I don't care what you think. Went up to the husky. There was a husky there, and the huskies are like people are always complaining the huskies are too aggressive. This dog just went right up to the husky and was messing with him. You think you're so tough. Yeah, let me tell you about the main streets. You all combed and groomed and pretty looking. Aw anyway, but it's like, I recommend going to the dog park to watch the dogs. People will look at you funny if you don't have a dog there, but you can watch from the other side of the fence if you wanted to or get a dog just for that purpose.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I also was amused that you got sent down memory lane a little bit by the fact that he was talking about going to a Jackson Brown concert in nineteen seventy five. Yes, and I was in college in nineteen seventy seven. That was when I started Gduate High School in seventy seven, and there was one girl on our dorm who was obsessed with Jackson Brown and would just play all the music all the time. That was just in our dorm area. That's all you ever heard. I think she painted one of the album covers on her door. It was like around the time of Running on Empty and The Pretender, and it's like just such a yeah, seventy five, that's not so far from when I was Jackson Brown all the time vicariously, so no choice, yeah, yeah, yeah, those were good times. So he did not do a very good job at lying low.
Speaker 2: No he didn't. But I mean the reason why she hired him she wanted a man because, yeah, people would be interested in him because there's so many women. So she did this to herself.
Speaker 1: Yes, that is true. That is true. I am generally a fan of eating cold pizza the next morning, but not if it's stuck to my back. That seems a little How many drinks, It's a sort of fascinating thing to me, is people who know how to make mixed drinks? Do you know people in your age bracket who know how to make mixed drinks? Because you just stepped up right there at the bar and started making stuff. And I think that's something like my dad's generation, my dad's generation knew how to make mixed drinks. They would have their little bars and they would how to do stuff. People in my generation, I don't know if they do.
Speaker 2: I think a very certain subset of people, yeah, still know how to do it, you know, of varying ages.
Speaker 1: But right, but do you have friends? Do you know anybody? Do you have like a bartender in your circle?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I mean I can think of a couple people who probably know how to make a Manhattan yeah, and or here in Wisconsin it would be an old fashioned.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't know how to make an old fashion.
Speaker 1: But that was her drink. I don't know that people outside of that general age group is still right, But maybe I don't know. I just feel like things went over to a beer and wine lane at something.
Speaker 2: Unless you were at an establishment.
Speaker 1: Making it exactly when somebody a professional would make it for you.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Interesting. He certainly ingratiated himself with folks by knowing how to do that, except for that one guy.
Speaker 2: Yes, the guy is very joy.
Speaker 1: And now is I suspect going to think that he's at he stole his watch?
Speaker 2: Yes, because it is now missing.
Speaker 1: Yep, swiped right under our eyes. Yes, but.
Speaker 2: Now we know that there's been the second incident, right, so maybe the first person will be believed now that it was so.
Speaker 1: But but now if he's accused, that's going to be awkward. Yes, I originally thought when she's when the guy said that Virginia gave him this nice watch, I thought, well, maybe she stole it from somebody, But apparently not, unless she was just taking it back.
Speaker 2: Maybe she wanted to take it back so she could give it.
Speaker 1: To Oh, that will look bad if he's wearing it, and he would presumably recognize it. He would recognize it anyway. That seems fun. It seems like a fun place. Yeah, But I don't know.
Speaker 2: I do wonder how much Stephanie Beatrice's character DDI actually knows the talking really good, like I know everything that's happening here to you.
Speaker 1: But also they were saying that, hey, sometimes the workers coming in out of the rooms, and then they showed her coming in and out of her room. So yeah, I wondered if that was supposed to direct our suspicion to her. But I would say that would be false direction. That's too easy. Plus which I'd like her to be on future seasons of this if they exist, right, so agreed? Yeah, which, actually they do exist because this this we're coming to this late. So this season is done and there's it's been picked up for another season. So presumably he's not in jail for her suspected wrongly suspected.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well this is only episode two, that's true. Ways to go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what's coming up next?
Speaker 2: Were you going to talk about Mary Elizabeth Allis or no?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. You know, I've been watching this show and the actress who plays his daughter, Emily, Mary Elizabeth Ellis, looks so familiar to me, and I've been trying to figure out where I know her from. And I looked on her IMDb and she was in the Gurge Pizza movie I enjoyed very much. I don't remember her in that at all. And then I found that she was in the Taylor Swift video for Anti Hero, in which she plays the daughter in law who kills her for the money.
Speaker 2: Which Taylor is playing herself. Yeah for the whole time. But by right, she's supposed to be like an old person who has these grown up children, and.
Speaker 1: Well this is her dream she's dreaming.
Speaker 2: It's all very surreal.
Speaker 1: And very campy and stuff, and she looks nothing like Emily in that so I was just tickled that that that's her that video I remember that character. Okay, well fine, but I still I think she must look like somebody else because none of the credits I can find do I really recognize her from and yet she looks so familiar. She does look familiar, So I think she looks like somebody else. But anyway, she does a very good job. I very much enjoy her character. I want to give her a hug. And once she finds out that not only are her three boys just completely you know, messing up in new and innovative ways, but that her father is I think she just she may just stuck jumping on that trampoline herself. Honey. It's very relaxing, right, little therapy yep.
Speaker 2: Well, And speaking of her character, the next week's episode is called The Emily Always Rings Twice. Oh, dear, I believe you said last week. Surely there won't be any complications, you said sarcastically to the fact that DEDI thinks his daughter Emily is actually his boss Julie. So yes, I believe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe where it comes home to roost I believe. So there's going to be trouble, I think, and I think she's going to be not only annoyed, but hurt to know that this was going on. Really you too. At least he didn't break anything yet, right, so you know we old people don't take us mind. Well men maybe not.
Speaker 2: So that's that's next week, episode three of A Man on the Inside. That'll be next Wednesday, and we'll see you back here tomorrow for our weekly Roundabout round up.
Speaker 1: A thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links, and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on instag or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com, slash Shop slash Mamitude, where you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years.