Speaker 1: With the Lucky Land slots, you can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 2: It's your captain speaking. We've got clear runway and the weather's fine, but we're just gonna circle up here a while and get lucky. Oh no, nothing like that. It's just these cash prizes add up quick, So I suggest you sit back, keep your trade table up right, and start getting lucky.
Speaker 1: Play for free at Lucky landslips dot com. Are you feeling lucky? No purchase necessary void. We're prohibited by Law eighteen plus. Terms and conditions apply. See website for details.
Speaker 3: Hey guys, it is a Ryan. I'm not sure if you know this about me, but I'm a bit of a fun fanatic when I can. I like to work, but I like fun too. It's a thing. And now the truth is out there, I can tell you about my favorite place to have fun, Chumba Casino. They have hundreds of social casino style games to choose from, with new games released each week. You can play for free, anytime, anywhere, and each day brings a new chance to collect daily bonuses. So join me and the fun. Sign up now at chumbacasino dot com.
Speaker 4: No we're necessary day my law Terms of conditions eighteen plus.
Speaker 5: Step into the world of power, loyalty, and luck. I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse. With family, canoli's and spins mean everything. Now you want to get mixed up in the family business, Introducing The Godfather at champacasino dot com. Test your luck in the shadowy world at the Godfather Slade.
Speaker 2: Someday I will call upon you to do a service for me.
Speaker 5: Play the Godfather now at champacasino dot com. Welcome to the Family vdW group.
Speaker 6: No purchase necessary. I believe we're brimbited by loss.
Speaker 7: He terms and conditions eighteen plus.
Speaker 3: It is Ryan here, and I have a question for you. What do you do when you win?
Speaker 6: Like?
Speaker 3: Are you at fist pumper, a wooo, a handclap or a high fiver? I kind of like the high five. But if you want to hone in on those winning moves, check out Chumback Casino at chumbacasino dot com. Choose some hundreds of social casino style games for your chance to redeem serious cash prizes. There are new game releases weekly, plus free daily bonuses. So don't wait. We aren't having the most fun ever. At Shumba casino dot Com.
Speaker 6: You'll because necessary verb by lost in terms conditions eighteen plus.
Speaker 7: You are now listening to True Murder the most shocking killers in true crime history and the authors that have written about them Gasey Bundy, Dahmer, The Night Stalker DTK. Every week another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history. True Murder with your host, journalist and author Dan Zufanski, Good Evening. Nine of the most controversial violent crimes in America's history are re examined in these compelling stories. True crime doctor Samuel Mudd set John Wilkes Booth's broken ankle, But was he actually part of the larger conspiracy to assassinate President Abraham Lincoln? Did Lizzie Borden bruly murder her own parents in Massachusetts? Was admitted Jihadis Zakari Musawi really involved in a terrorist plot to destroy the World Trade Center on September eleventh, two thousand and one. In a series of provocative and eye opening true crime investigations, author Fred Rosen revisits some of the most shocking and notorious crimes in America over the past two centuries to determine once and for all, did they really do it? Applying logic and techniques of modern criminology while re examining the crime scenes, official police records, in the original courtroom, testimonies of witnesses and the accused, Rosen explores nine infamous crimes that rocked the nation and the verdicts that were ultimately handed down. From fall and Julius Rosenberg's execution for treason to the kidnapping and killing of the Lindbergh baby to the klue Klux Klan slayings of three civil rights workers in Mississippi to nine eleven, the alleged perpetrators get another day in court as Rosen calls into question the circumstantial evidence and cultural context that may have determined guilt or innocence in each case. The book that we're featuring this evening is did they really do It?
Speaker 4: With my special guests, author and journalist Fred Rosen, Welcome back to the program, and thank you very much for agreeing this interview. Fred Rosen, Dan, it is.
Speaker 6: As usual a privilege to be on the radio with you. You are sure the best.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Fred, Thank you very much. It is always a great pleasure and fans have been clamoring for another little bit of Fred Rosen. So here we have you, and that is fine offering.
Speaker 6: Gee, if any even a woman, I'm available.
Speaker 4: Sorry, I'll let them know. I'll let them know. Good ahead, Let's get right into this because we've got a lot to cover you. We wanted to talk about another something that you're working on, that you're very excited about. Another what one once was thought to be just a normal death is now and you have discovered some information. So in the after the first hour we'll be talking about what has been very important and what you've been working on. So let's leave that for a little bit of suspense for the audience and let's get to did they really do it? What was what was the criteria that you used, what was the how did you choose these stories? And why did you want to use these stories? What did you want to convey in these stories?
Speaker 6: Well, that's a great question. First off, I love history, and this was an opportunity to use my skill set, to use a current term, to go back and take a look at famous cases in American criminal history and take a look at whether these individuals who were convicted of of of murder actually had done it. And so what I was doing here was I was trying to take a look at those where I felt there was some doubt or some doubt had been put into the equation by others, and so I figured, you know, and actually what I was doing here was I was sort of following a little bit on what my friend and fellow journalist Gerald Posner had done in Case Closed, which is to use uh, contemporary forensics and so for and and and and the current investigative techniques to take a look at some at the at the guilt or innocence of these individuals. And to be quite frank, a lot of this was stuff that I'd heard about it as a kid, like the civil rights workers, you know, that I grew up with, and the Rosenbergs, for example. I lived in Brooklyn, my my almost my entire life, and every time I would go past the funeral home where their bodies were taken, my dad would say, gee, Freddy, that's where the Rosenbergs were taken. So that stuff sort of, you know, stays with you. So it was a combination of both personal understanding of what had occurred and at the same time, in the case for instance of Zacharias M. Sally stuff. That's oh kurant, it's to me, it's relevant. And one of the problems I feel that goes on in criminal investigations, and please weigh in on this, is that too often we're very journalists included, were very we're anxious to put responsibility on somebody without really doing the proper investigation and especially using history to take a look at it. And in the case of doctor Samuel Mudd, I mean I was astonished to find out that President Carter has been asked to pardon him. I mean, I couldn't believe it. You know, you know it's and so one of the themes in the book for me is how the past effects the president and how these cases that you think are back there, Hey buddy, they're not back there. They're still they're still right here. And you know, certain cases, now obviously other cases like if we were talking about Bundie for example, you know, I certainly would leave that to my friend Kevin Sullivan, who's written about it extensively. I mean, that's a difference kind of thing. They're gacy, but these are individuals in the book where there was some doubt about the guilt or innocence. So I was looking for the best cases I could find where I could use my skills and just delves take it deep end. You know you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Right? Why don't you tell us because you do a part one and a part two twice in the book, and we'll just talk about that when we need to. But we talked about the nine infamous cases. So tell us just very very briefly what each shifter of those nine cases are, and then we'll get to I think I'd like to start with with the Lizzie Boordon case. Yeah, and so just describe, describe all the cases that you do cover, and then we'll let's talk about quite a wildcase, the Lizzi Boardon case.
Speaker 6: Sure, Doctor Samuel Mudd was convicted by by the Lincoln assassination what do we call it? It was a military jury. Was the last time the United States had a military tribunal that tried a civilian before the twenty first century, regarding the prisoners in Guantanamo. And so Samuel Mudd was convicted of not only setting John Wilkes Boot's ankle after he shot President Lincoln, but also being involved in piracy to kill him, meaning he knew what was going to happen. Then there's Lizzie Borden, who of course killed her parents. That title is called forty The title of that chapter is forty Whacks of Trouble. Well, I was up all night in that one then, and that's an infamous case, and I knew that I had to take a look at that one because one of the first cases I ever worked on murder cases involved paraside, and so I'm very familiar with parasite and I need to take a look at that. Then there was Mary who killed Mary Fagan, which is about Leo Frank who was a Jewish factory employee and Georgia who was convicted in nineteen fourteen of killing a fourteen year old factory worker. And that was a personal one because I'm Jewish, and I eventually discovered that Leo Frank is the only two ever convicted of murder and was then hung by the ku Klux Klan, and that was in a way personal. Then I went to the one who framed who was Bruno framed regarding the Bruno Richard Holtman, who was convicted of killing the Lindbergh baby. Again another very very very big case. And of course, as you go through this stuff. What you find is that it's the stuff in the periphery that gets really interesting, you know, not just the case, but in this in the UH, in the UH, in the Bruno Richard Haltman case, he's convicted of killing the Charles Lindberg's child, and I didn't know what happened to Lindbergh afterwards. Like then there's a bullet for Pretty Boy, which is about pretty Boy Floyd, famous outlaw from the nineteen thirties who was convicted of being involved with the Kansas City massacre, which involves a killing government agents. And that one what I did because I'd never written about any of the outlaws, you know, like Bonnie and Clyde and so forth. Then the atomic spies Ethel and Julius Rosenberg. That was a really interesting one because, as I mentioned earlier, they were buried from a funeral home on Flappish Avenue in Brooklyn, where I come from, and I was really interested in, you know, did the you know, obviously did they really do it, because they got death for allegedly turning over atomic secrets of the atomic bombs of the Soviet Union. And what was real interesting in that case was that was that their their KGP handler. After the Soviet Union collapsed in late nineteen nineties, he went public with information regarding it. Then we get to the murdered civil rights workers. Oh my god, this one. I remember this as a kid. Fl rights workers Shaney, Goodman and Schwerner were killed by the KKK in Philadelphia, Mississippi. And I never ever thought, as most people would, that anybody would ever be convicted of murdering them. Well, it happened in two thousand and five, so I needed to cover that. Then, of course, the Boston strangler Albert T. Salvo there had I didn't know this until I got into it, that there was. There was speculation there was more than one dude who had strangled these women in Boston. That was a movie, by the way, late sixties, probably the best performance ever given by Tony Curtis, believe it or not. He played Albert Tasalvo. Then I had to go. I had to do a zacharyas Massali, the twentieth hijacker. He was allegedly the twentieth hijacker in the nine to eleven plot, but as I discovered, there was evidence to prove that he wasn't, and I was able to. Then in the second part of the book deal with in the present day, Samuel Mudd being his relative his grandson, not great grandson, his grandson ask President Carter to pardon him, and I'm going, what the heck is this about? I missed this story, so you got to get into that. And then the last chapter is the Murdered Civil Rights The Murdered Civil Rights Workers Part two, where Edgar Ray Killen was tried for being the grand legal who actually set them up and make sure that they were murdered. So what I was most interested in was how the past affects the present and amazingly, how a crime could occur.
Speaker 4: My god.
Speaker 6: Eighteen sixty five, Samuely Mudd is convicted of killing of being involved in the plot to kill President Lincoln and boom nineteen seventy eight. Jimmy Carters asked to pardon the excuse me? How do you miss this stuff? So I said, I got to deal with this stuff, and that's how I picked the stories.
Speaker 4: Now let's just take examine Hardno.
Speaker 6: Did I go fast enough? Dan?
Speaker 4: Yes, sir, Now that was great. You've covered an amazing expanse of history and all kinds of cases. All unique. Let's talk about the Lizzie Borden because she was announced not guilty and you have applied again these modern forensic techniques and looking at the evidence again and then very much very important too to look at the time that this occurred, and like you say, patricide, who knew? So let's talk about Lizzie Borden and this murder of their parents, and how on earth you talk about one of the attorneys. I'm jumping ahead a little bit that you said he was the bailia this time, so I'll get you to explain what was it about him that was so flee baileyish. So let's first talk about it, just a little bit about the the murders themselves and what police found and what they were working with, and then the very very interesting trial that ensued.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, what happened was this is this is Massachusetts, uh four River, Massachusetts, And what happened was the bodies of her parents were discovered and they were, for lack of a better term, they were axed to death. They were murdered with an axe. And the the what the prosecute, the prosecution of course looked at as motive money. The fact that she would inherit. You know, these these were pretty well off people, and so they looked at it from that point of view. You know, the two classic motives for murder are money and sex, you know, sex, drugs, rock and roll. You know, you can put it any way you want. And I was curious about it because you know, we hear you know, this is like one of those cases you hear about over the years, and there's always a joke about it. You know, I think there's you know, there's even some rhyme, you know, Lizzie Borden twenty wax or something. I don't remember, but so you know, that's the sort of thing that attracts me to say, okay, well what really happened? And as I looked into it, the first thing that hit me was that this is overkill. Overkill meaning after the person is dead, you keep going, well, that is a classic m for paraside, which is the murder of a parent, and that occurs because of certain reasons, which if you want me to talk about at some point, I'll talk about. And she had two very well known, influential attorneys working for her. A guy named George Robinson, who was former governor of Massachusetts Andrew Jennings, who I do describe as the f Lee Bailey of his day. In other words, this is a dude who always took on cases regarding people who were behind the eight ball and had a tremendous record of getting them off. And by the way, this is the late eighteen nineties. And again that's the other part that I find so interesting, because so much of this book, as as well as our history, goes from the late eighteen nineties into the nineteen hundreds into the twentieth century. And so I really wanted to look at Lizzie Borden and find out if she had done it and why. The motive, of course, is always all important, and what the evidence was to show that she had done it versus the evidence to show that she didn't.
Speaker 4: At the crime scene itself, her excuse was that she was doing some work, something to do with candles in the barn she was and came back into the home and then there was a of course, her mother was butchered or slaughtered and her father was slaughtered. But they were on different levels.
Speaker 6: Or different floors, yes, different floors.
Speaker 4: So you talk about you talk about modern forensics, but for eighteen ninety two. I was surprised that they did do some due diligence there in terms of later there was a determination of the importance of finding out who got killed first. Tell us, yes, that relevance.
Speaker 6: Well, they wanted to find out, you know, who the father was downstairs. It's where it sort of gets sort of interesting. They they the father was downstairs on like a couch, and and when he was discovered, nobody ever thought of going upstairs to see what was upstairs, and when they when, when eventually they did, they discovered that missus Borden had been killed. And so the question then becomes who was killed first and why? And I go back. I have to keep going back to the motive because what the police missed was the overkilled. They were much too interested in her h what do you call it? Inheriting money, you know. And Lizzie told there was a doctor that showed up named Bowen o'bowen and and he told this dude that and that Bowen discovered the body of of mister Bordon downstairs. And Lizzie then said, well, I do not know where mother is. I had been out to the barn and the servant was on the third floor, okay. And then it takes a little, you know, a couple of minutes later before they find missus Borden. And then it's a question of okay, you know who died first and how did it happen? But Lizzie kept maintaining, Uh, I'm saying Lizzie like she's my buddy, you know. But Lizzie kept maintaining that he was someplace else when all of this occurred. And Bowen later wrote about Missus Borton that her skull had sustained almost exactly the same damage as her husband by what appeared to be the same weapon, and he wrote, I think she must have been engaged in making the bed when the murderer appeared with an axe or hatchet and made a slash in her. After that, she turned and the fiend, I love that word, chopped her head as if it had been a cake of ice. One blow killed the woman, but the murderer kept on hacking at her until he was well satisfied that she was dead. That is the tip off. That's the tip off. If it's a robbery, you don't do that. You just kill the person, you take the money, and you leave. Why the overkill and that's what stayed in my mind as I can't looking at this case.
Speaker 4: Now. You talked about this doctor and what he had done as well, doctor Bowen, as he had determined through the contents of the stomach that who had died first, and that there was quite a bit of time between one murder and another, which was one of the crucial things at trial. And again lucky she had this f le Bailey type lawyer, because there was also testimony from an Eli Bentz, a pharmacist said that a woman had come in and tried to buy a bottle of hydro cynac acid and she says, you want to kill some moss. Because so they had this kind of evidence that and other evidence that there was something maybe that she had tried to actually poison her parents, sort of a die run for murder. Yes, So tell us how it proceeds at trial. How does Lizzie Gordon get a jury convinced that she's not guilty with all this damaging evidence. I know, they don't know anything about patricide. They think that this is the again that you describe the fiend. So tell us more about trial and how she is defended.
Speaker 6: Well, the point here is that. First off, this kind of a crime was extremely was extremely rare. It's still extremely rare. A child killing her or his parents is an extremely rare situation. The second point is that there is no direct evidence that implicates Lizzie Bordon. And yet you have circumstantial stuff, but there really isn't very much there. I mean, she's saying she was someplace else. Now, there was a witness that later said that she wrenched out some garment that one of the seedents had been wearing, or I think it was hers, I don't remember, but here it is. She was. Yeah, Lizzie was wearing a faded, light blue calico dress and she was washing it and somebody saw her doing it and she said, I'm going to burn this dress. It's all covered with paint. Well, of course it was blood. So you know, you've got you've got a situation where you certainly have some circumstantial evidence, but you don't have any direct evidence. And most importantly, the motive, the motive, the mode of the motive. I'll go back to that any number of times. Why would a woman want to kill her father and her mother? Now, again, the most obvious one would be, oh, I'm going to inherit a lot of money. Well, if that's the case, there'd be a lot more murders in all of our countries. But that is not the reason that this occurred, and that is not the reason why this crime occurred. So, you know, I was really into trying to determine what her motive was. And unfortunately the police did not look into any possibility that she'd been abused by one of both parents, which again would have been a very rare occurrence in those days and it's still pretty rare today. Dan, I mean, sure, you know what happens that cop. You know, cops don't generally we look at this stuff. Again there you know, you know, they're like anybody else. Whatever is the easiest way to go, they're going to go.
Speaker 4: Well, in this trial was very interesting to me is that this Alice Russell testified that about the you mentioned the burning of the dress, wanting to burn the dress that had paint on it, So it was none of that evidence that calico dress was not didn't come forward. They the jury came back with not guilty. She ended up, as you read the book, bought a new house with her sister Emma, and she became a big patron of the arts. As you say, in your investigation you found evidence of molestation, as it makes a lot of sense now of course one hundred and something years later, but yeah, really that's what you found.
Speaker 6: Yes, And you know this is this crime is con assistant with other parasites. And when you look at parriside as a crime, there are always certain uh common unless it's a self defense situation, which is rare. What is always common in these cases this abuse, and and and and and here we have a situation where you know, the the the the the mother, the the the mother was not the nicest person in the world, and the but the father because is almost a fipher. I mean, sure, I'm speculating regarding the abuse, but if you use modern day profiling, you have to say that that the the over care is indicative of parriside. Because in every parasite case you can find in contemporary true crime literature, you're going to find that the individual or individuals were abused. And I don't think there's any doubt that that occurred here. Part of the problem is the time period we're talking about. You know, it's sort of like it's the same thing like last time I was on your show. I talked about how doctor Willet Bliss murdered James Garfield. Well, who would ever think a doctor would murder a patient? Okay, who would ever think that a child would murder their parent. There's got to be a motive for it. And I am convinced that she committed this crime because her daddy molested either physically or emotionally.
Speaker 4: Now let's move on to another case that a lot of people like you had mentioned. Tony Curtis did this. I believe Academy Award winning performance. If not, this is one of the highlights of this Hey.
Speaker 6: Hey, hey, now you're getting into my wheelhouse. Dam Night didn't win the Oscar. I think he got nominated. Okay, wonderful performance. And if his daughter is listening in, you know, Jamie Lee, he did. It's the nineteenth I want to say about sixty eight, sixty nine something like that, you know. And it's a great case. You know, it's one of the earliest, UH serial killing cases that received an enormous amount of publicity. And of course h F. Lee Bailey was the dude who defended him and in fact saved his life.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's amazing, amazing. I did.
Speaker 6: It's amazing. It really yeah, I mean it's really something, you know, I mean, you know, it's funny, isn't it funny? How Bailey shows funny? He shows up in a lot of cases, you know, obviously the O. J. Simpson case. You know, hell of a good Hey, listen, God forbid, wherever in a problem and we need an attorney. I don't care how old he is. I want them, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I guess. So, yeah, let's talk more about this. Nineteen sixty two to nineteen sixty four you talked about the advent of serial killers and profiling, and again America a little more innocent time, didn't know anything about this sort of thing. And we're in the Boston area. One woman and Sleezer's yeah, is murdered. But then shortly after that, thirteen women in the Boston area in eighteen months. And the thing that you said that strangled, yes, And and the thing that was the most shocking for the city, the police and everyone was that these were not people that seemed to maybe live a dangerous life and have something like this coming to them. Possibly these were middle aged, maybe even elderly. These were not prostitutes. This, you know, set the city, frightened the city. So this was uh so, tell us you talk about how the murder stopped, and then eleven months after the murder ceased Albert de Salvo on a completely different charge. Right, tell us a little bit about Albert DeSalvo, a little bit about his background before we talk about his what he tells police incredibly.
Speaker 6: Well. This Salvo was born in Chelsea, Massachusetts, on September third, nineteen thirty one. Growing up, he was rested on more than one occasion on assault battery chargers. Growing up, again, he was his behavior was very inconsistent. At times, he was cool, at times he behaved badly. His mother divorced his dad. But of course that's you know, that's just you know, that's part of it. But obviously if that was, you know, the most important aspect, you'd have a lot more of this stuff going on. But that's not the case. When he was seventeen, he was drafted into the army enjoy you know, he loved it. Became a specialist E five. But he gets busted back to private fulfilling to obey the superiors orders. And he meets a woman in West Germany and they fell in love and they married. Guess what fifty five he leaves the military. He's arrested to finding a young girl. The charges dropped. Then his first child, Judy, is born, and she has congenital pelvic disease. And after that his wife avoids having sex without bit at all, plus because she doesn't want to bring another child into the world with that problem. But what's happening is the salvo and I'll relate to this. Maybe I don't know, maybe there's some people that do. But he has this insatiable sexual urge. He needed sex at least five or six times a day. He had to find at someplace. And so the next thing, you know, he becomes a burglar. And of course burglary is a crime of uh it's it's not just a physical crime of you know, of of you know, stealing st but it's assaulting people's you know, where they live, no pun intended. Yeah here it is burglary. You know, it's a sexual crime because it involves an invasion of a person's privacy. So he gets all these arrests for burglary and so forth and so on. So he has this long criminal record, yet he's extremely well liked by the people who know him, his wife and his new wife and his son love him. Is it coworker's life like him? But he's a thief and he's also a braggart. He likes to exaggerate his achievements. He gets arrested for breaking into a house. I mean, this stuff goes on and on and on and on. So there's something going on in this guy's psyche that makes him engage in burglary. And again, obviously you know this whole business about having to have sex a zillion times a day. And then of course the Boston stranglings begin in the first Yeah, it's actually the second quarter of nineteen sixty two. That's that's the next thing that happens. And you know, the police, of course don't know who this is.
Speaker 4: As you mentioned, he is caught for some burglaries. He's identified as a as a certain type of criminal. Yet again, what was interesting is a sex crime home invasion. I never really read it put that way, which is great that it's done that way, makes a lot of.
Speaker 6: You know, that's you know what, Yeah, you would never think of it, would you get? I mean, it's like you just don't think of it as being you know, a sexually oriented crime. But that's the way criminal. I'll just look at it, you know.
Speaker 4: Now Solvo avoids the void's prison. But also he when he does get this prison term, he gets an eighteen month sentence because the judge sees that he's a good worker, he has a couple of kids, he has this relationship, has pity on him. Two months, you write, two months after the eighteen months, that's when these strength things, these murders occur. Right now, tell us what happens, because it's it's utterly fascinating. Again, this is very, very unusual for him to be arrested on something else, really no pressure. Tell us about this confession.
Speaker 6: Well, this goes back. You know a lot of these serial killers, they are braggerts. They want attention. And that's the way he seemed when he was arrested on this charge. And he seemed more like a braggart than a murderer. And he tells his attorney, what would you do if someone gave you the biggest story of the century, talk about talk about before his time? Uh? And he and the attorney says, you mean the Boston strangler. And decephal says yes, yes, And the attorney says, you mixed up in this stuff? Did you do some of them? All of them? Albert answered, he's trying to make money. He's trying to make money. He figures if he confesses to this stuff, not only does he does he get credit for it, He's gonna make a lot of money. And then what happens is the judge sends the salvo for psychiatric evaluation. The cops are still not convinced these but these he's the he's the dude, and and that's you know. And then what happens is he he makes the acquaintance of a guy who uh his attorney is Lee Bailey, and Lee and Lee Bailey visits Albert de Salvo and Jill, and Albert de Salvo says, I know I'm going to have to spend the rest of my life locked up somewhere, uh, but I want to tell my story to somebody who could write it. Maybe I could make some money for my family. This is way before it's time, and it's before the Son of Sam laws, which in the United States prevented criminals from making money up their crimes. I think most of them have since been uh taken off the books, you know, But so in any case, when he makes Bailey's acquaintance, Bailey's primary concern is keeping him out of the chair, you know, which was the way that people were executed in those days. And he Bailey questions him, and he becomes convinced because of the detailed Dissalvo gives him that he's the Boston strangler. And that's when Bailey gives the Boston police access to DiSalvo to ask him questions about the case. And basically he's making a deal. Okay, I'll give you this guy. You can solve the cases, but you can't put him in the chair. It's got to be it's got to be life.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: Round two, Name something that's not boring.
Speaker 5: Laundry, book club, computer solitaire.
Speaker 2: Huh oh, sorry, we were looking for Chumbuck Casino.
Speaker 5: That's right.
Speaker 3: Casino dot com as over one hundred casino style games joined today and play for free for your chance to redeem some serious prizes. Chum chumby casino dot com.
Speaker 6: Plus starts conditions of blue website retails.
Speaker 1: With the Lucky land slots. You can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 2: It's your captain speaking. We've got clear runway and the weather's five. But we're just gonna circle up here a while and get lucky. No, no, nothing like that. It's just these cash prizes add up quick. So I suggest you sit back, keep your trade table upright, and start getting lucky.
Speaker 1: Play for free at lucky landslots dot com. Are you feeling lucky? No purchase necessary void. We're prohibited by Law eighteen plus. Terms and conditions apply. See website for details.
Speaker 4: And do they renege on this deal? Do they?
Speaker 6: You mean you mean the government? Yeah, no, no they the state decides to try to solve on four accounts of breaking and entering. In other words, it's bargained down. Bailey tries to use insanity to spare out with prison, but the jury didn't see things. In other words, he's not tried for the murders. He's tried for breaking and entering. And it's almost like, you know, you gotta sort of wonder what's going on behind the scenes, because for breaking and entering, the judge winds up giving them life period. You know. And Bailey later writes, and this is a direct quote, my goal was to see the strangler wind up in a hospital where doctor doctors could try to find out what made him kill. Society is deprived of a study that might help deter other mass killers who lived among us waiting for the trigger to go off inside them. Pretty interesting, you know, I mean that, you know, and you know, you have to say that is a brilliant, brilliant piece of defense work on the part of mister Bailey, because what he did was he got a bad guy off the street who was killing people and got him sentenced to life. Was hoping that he would get some care behind bars. But that doesn't quite happen because something else happens.
Speaker 4: Hey that when he was when he was asked, One of the most fascinating things was when Dissolva was asked why he did all of this, he or he offered this reason why he did what he did. Can you tell us what that is?
Speaker 6: Jesus, I'm trying to remember.
Speaker 4: Well, I could say I could tell you because what I really profound, was was really profound, was that he said that he was just an ordinary guy, not even a great looking guy, not really a smart guy, but he outsmarted a lot of really good, rich, smart people.
Speaker 6: He said, Yeah, what it was was the salvo. Basically it goes it goes back to this. Obviously, the guy's got problems with self esteem, so it goes back to that that he's got problems with self esteem, and so what he's doing is assuaging those sexual urges. But at the same time, he's getting a huge kick out of all the publicity surrounding this and again way ahead of his time. And then once he's he's he's so he's got you know, he's got that part of it, those motives, you know, the sexual stuff, plus he wants to make money off of it for his family. He's very interesting that way. You know, as we're talking, I mean, you don't find too many serial killers that you know, really are trying to look out for their families. And as we're talking about it, I would say, you know, the evidence which would say that this guy had a conscience, which is which is possible. You know, it doesn't mean not every single serial killer you know, or killer is a sociopath, but this guy appears to have had a conscience because he cared about his family, he cared about what happened to them. But at the same time, he was trying to make up for these bad things that apparently happened to him in his life, his lack of self esteem and so forth and so on. And also he's not a good looking guy, as he says. But then again, you know, you go back, Look, most of us aren't movie stars. You know. I was going to say, we don't look like Burt Lancaster. But that's going back, isn't it. I'm sorry, I'm not going to go to Tom Cruise. I can't stand him, sorry, folks. But anyway, you know, he's you know, with a guy like this, there's also the issue of power, the fact that he controls things, he controls women. So that's that is also very very essential to understanding this individual's personality. By the way, you know, this was another this was this case is late sixties. I remember it very well. I mean I was a teenager. But man, there's a lot of publicity about it, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: Sure you add one more very interesting twist at the end is that one of the victims, Mary Soul, the family dug her up in two thousand as you as you write to compare and Dissoliva was dug up in two thousand and one, So tell us what the result of that DNA test was.
Speaker 6: Interestingly, well, what doctor James Stars, professor of forensic science at George Washington University. He's one of the premier forensic criminologists out there. And so what happens is they disinentered the body of Mary Sullivan, one of his victims, and of course they just they also get a Disalvo's body and they compare the DNA you know, which of course you couldn't do in the nineteen sixties because it didn't exist. And so the DNA tests were performed on the corpses for comparison purposes. And if Pasalvo had raped and stranglers, he claimed that the a forensic footprint, well guess what, it didn't match. In other words, Mary Sullivan was raped by somebody else. So that is what leads to the supposition that there were copycats. So there was more than one Boston strangler. That's pretty damn interesting because it's very rare that you have a situation where you get a bad guy and you can you actually prove through through forensics after the crime is committed that the guy didn't do it. You know, that just doesn't happen very often. I mean, I can't even think of another instance where it does you know, was he the boss that you know, and I talk about this obviously, was he the boss and strangler? And I, you know, I get my my my opinion as as far as you know what he did. But one thing is clear. He didn't kill Mary Sullivan. So that's a victim that was duck for him, that he didn't do because doctor Starprugi didn't do it, which means that person could still be out there. And remember, you know, as I point out here and I'll actually ask you about this in terms of how it works in the Commonwealth, murder is the one crime in the United States that there's no statute orimentations, and I'm going to assume it's the same in the Commonwealth of my correct Oh yeah, yeah, well there you go, because we get out of law from you guys. You know, in case anybody doesn't know Dan lives in France, just making it up. But but seriously, seriously, it's you know, you don't see this level of scientific inquiry into this sort of thing because it's too easy for cops to clear a case and say this guy did this, this guy did that, so forth and so on. And when you get a guy like James Starr Stars rather involved. I mean this guy, I think this guy also worked on Oh yeah, he if I remember correctly, Stars also worked on trying to determine if the Sundance Kid was buried in Bolivia aka Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. So you know, you get you know, you're really getting into not only heavy duty DNA testing, but real pros. And you don't see this happening. And how often have we seen something like that happen in a serial killing case. I mean, I wrote about BTK, Nothing like that happened there. You know, it's just too easy to pind you know, you got five murders pinning on the same guy, you know, because you know, the other thing I remember is that anytime you get a guy who likes Star is involved, you know, or any Fransic specialists of courts a lot of money, you know, and also there's got to be a reason to do it. So you know, in a case like this, it's not it wouldn't be so unusual simply because you know, you're talking about one of the most famous serial killers in American history. But that's not going to happen every single time down the line. Wow, you talk. It's funny we're talking about this and I'm going, gee, where are these people today? You know, It's like, wouldn't you know I'm saying to myself, geez, you know, why don't we get these people involved in more cases? I'm sorry?
Speaker 4: Go ahead, Now you do a two parts, as I mentioned twice, and one of them is the incredible story of Victor ray Killing. And this is Mississippi. So this is an amazing story, as you write, because of the second part, what happens finally in a place that people never thought they would ever see anything like that. And we alluded to that Victor ray Killing being arrested in the twenty first century. So let's go back to August fourth, nineteen sixty four and talk about what those What were the circumstances that these civil rights people basically know the story, but what were the circumstances that these workers were down there, these three people, these three young men were down there, and what was the role of Victor ray killing At that time.
Speaker 6: Well, killing was called the Grand Klegal, which means he was the organizer of the klan that in Philadelphia, Mississippi, And purely by coincidence, I was thinking about this. I drove through Philadelphi, Mississippi, last week, and you know, I got out of their assessed as I could, to be honest with you. You know, the the it not much has changed in terms of the environment. Now. As I said, killing was a was an ordained minister, a businessman, a clan organizer. And what happened was Schwerner, Schwerner, Cheney, and Goodman were the three civil rights workers. And what happened was Schwerner had been down in Philadelphia, in the Philadelphia area, visiting a church. And this is again in sixty sixty four, and what happened was the church was burned down by the KKK, and he had visited that church. And he's up in the north at some civil rights conference and he's as well, I got to go down there and help those people. Now, So what he does is he goes with his buddy Cheney, who's a black dude, and then he elicts a kid named Goodman from Queens, New York. And Queens is one of the boroughs of New York City, and they go down there. They work for the Congress of Racial Equality Corps, and they go down in a in a what he call it station wagon, and Schwerner is already a target of the KKK, call him jew boy or go Tee because he had to go tee. So he goes down there to help these people. You know, basically he's going into Philadelphia, Mississippi, to or for support. Now, the problem here is that you're dealing with the KKK, You're dealing with violent individuals. So he's going in there. These guys aren't armed. You know, this is nineteen sixty four. You know, it's the other way around. These guys think that, you know, because they're supporting the constitution equal rights for African Americans, that nothing's going to happen. Well, he goes down there and he's with the other two dudes, and he's he's like, he's somebody who basically the KKK has putting hit out on. They want to get him. So what happens is the local deputy sheriff named Price, purely by coincidence, sees this station lag and being driven by Schwerner, Goodman and Cheney get this. He arrests the dudes and puts him in jail, claiming they were the ones who burned down the church. It's a you know, you know, you gotta laugh, man, because if you don't, you'll go nuts. And at that point point, at that point killing, the Grand Legal starts organizing to get these guys killed.
Speaker 4: Now, they may have should have known that they were in danger, but they didn't. And you talk about a.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry, excuse me, sir, I'm sorry, I interrupt. Forgive me that.
Speaker 4: Go ahead.
Speaker 6: I'm from Brooklyn. I'm from Brooklyn. I interrupt too much. No, no, no, go ahead.
Speaker 4: You were talking about that the Sam Bawers, the Imperial Wizard, had called for Sherman's murder, Schwerner's murder. Yes, so how are they going to go about this?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 4: And and who set this plan in motion? And how how did it come to fruition?
Speaker 6: Well, what happens is this gout. This dude, Bowers is the head dude. Let's just forget it about using the KKK names for these individuals. He's a head dude in Mississippi. So the idea is, let's figure out a way. They got him, and they got him, Okay, They've been wanting to get Schwerner for a while, so now he's in jail, and what they decide to do. What happens is is that killing then recruits the younger guys to kill the three civil rights workers. And so they said, and it's a pretty smart plot. Is they wind up releasing them and telling them, Okay, you can go back to uh, you know, wherever you came from. But they follow him that of town, and then at some point they the civil rights the dude they have to decide which road to take. You know, there's more than one road in those days. The interstate highway system was certainly not completed now it is, of course, And so what happens is the idea is it's a plot. This dude prices the sheriff is supposed to shadow him, and eventually, not only does he shadow him, but he pulls him over a second time. So this is the first time is when he arrests him. The second time is when he pulls them over, and then he transports them to the place where they're going to die. And it's all been set up in advance, according to the jury, but by killing, and the rest, as they say, is history. If I can talk more about that, if you want, you know about what happens.
Speaker 4: Sure, because killing basically has an alibi. They drop him off as uncle's funeral, and he also, like you say, they control Mississippi, so they also control the police, or certain tenets of the police at least, and citizens are sympathetic in this state at that time, has a lot of friends. You start the chapter with the discovery of the body, so it isn't long after that they discover these bodies, So tell us about this investigation and sure what the police do with this information?
Speaker 6: Well, what happens is and I got to talk about it a little personally, Dan if I can. When I was a kid, I remember seeing all of this on TV, you know, and I talk about it in the in the in the book where the the you know, various anchors on the three networks in those days there are only three networks come on and they talk about the discovery of the bodies and what happens is after the civil rights workers disappear, the United States Attorney comes in and they launch an investigation, and it becomes an investigation to find the bodies, and using informants, eventually find that the bodies have been buried in this earth and dam under tons of of why. I start the chapter with the blue flies swarming over the bodies, and it's one after the other. So when they finally disinter them, you see the three of them, and what's happening here is now the next question is how do they die? And the local coroner, he won't even say that they were shot, you know, he was just a piece of crap, quite frankly. But a private coroner is brought in and they're able to determine that they were. The three of them were executed, a couple of them were beaten up, and so forth, and then it becomes a question of okay, this occurred. The FBI establishes its first office in Mississippi. I didn't know that, by the way. I always thought the FBI was in all fifty state But it turns out they didn't have an office in Mississippi. But Herbert Jaegerhobert, excuse me, establishes an office down there. And this, of course, all of this stuff is chronicled in the movie Mississippi Burning, pretty good movie with Jim Hackman and William the Foe. And so what happens is they were able to determine the government said that these individuals were executed gunshots. But you got a problem, and it's the same problem that exists today, which is murder is not a federal crime unless it's not a federal reservation. So the only thing you can charge them with is executing them and therefore them denying them their civil rights. And that's exactly what happens because the Feds, no, they're not going to get any sort of conviction. Hell, they're not going to get they're not going to get a prosecution in Mississippi at that time. So they decide that are going to try them for denying these dudes their civil rights. And they put Killing and a Bower and a whole bunch of other guys on trial. But the deal is you're only talking a couple of years in jail even, And that's exactly what happens. You know, a couple of them are convicted and a couple of them get off. You know, basically, it's a slap on the wrist for triple murder.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and Killing isn't convicted of anything whatsoever?
Speaker 6: Is he No, because he claimed that he had a pretty good alibi. He claimed that he'd gone to some funerals. And you got to remember that this dude was a that I think he's a Baptist minister, So you know, he's got that. You know. There there's your other point. Okay, how could a man of God uh be involved in a murder? You know, it's almost the same situation as how could a man of God molest children? You know, the situation with it, you know with the Spotlight, the movie Spotlight, you know in Boston in the early two thousands, you know how the arch stye he's covered up from stations. Well, it's the same situation you know had had had as a guy who is who's you know, who answers to God do such a thing. Well, you know, maybe maybe he's not really serving God. So he gets off and so you wind up in a spit with By the by the late by the middle sixth would be probably about sixty seven sixty eight. You want to get a couple of guys that are convicted and they you know, for violating civil rights. They go to jail for three years and then it's all forgot. And I got to tell you something, out of all the criminal cases that I can recall ever being exposed to, you know, reading about whatever, I never thought they'd ever solve this one. Never. I said, there's no way, man, they're going to solve this case while I was wrong, Thank god. You know.
Speaker 4: What's incredible that I did knows about this witness at that time named James Jordan, who was an eye witness to the killings. And I can imagine fearing the A Clan assassination. This guy was heavily guarded by g men at that time. But even though this guy the stress almost killed, this guy was hype hospitalized for hyperventilating, he collapsed, he was taken out of the courtroom on a stretcher, and then the third time he actually made it to the witness stand. And still I.
Speaker 6: Gotta say one thing though, I got to kick out of you saying man, because you're a Canadian cool man, very cool, you know. But yeah, I mean this dude, he and it makes doesn't it make sense? I mean, this guy Jordan is going to testify against uh, you know, a criminal conspiracy, you know, a criminal you know today. You know, it's interesting that we're talking about this then, because I don't think a lot of people today understand what the power was of the Ku Klux plan back in the day. Sure you hear about, you know, stuff happening today, and you know they might protest here or there, that's not what they did back then. They killed people, they lynched people. I mean, you know, it's a pretty awful situation. So Jordan was really scared that they were going to get them for good reason, because they had the ability to do it. Because you're not only talking about individuals I'm going to use the term mobbed up, but you're cares were in government. You'd have a mayor, a judge, a governor, whatever it might be. They were all part of this criminal conspiracy. That's how powerful the plan was back in the days. And it's amazing when we talk about it now to think that these individuals had this much power. And it's for the credit of the government, of our government of Lyndon Johnson and Jay Gerhober that they went in to bust these guys.
Speaker 4: You write in the book, just to show you the state of affairs at that time. The judge, Judge Cox, gave each of the defendants an average of six years in federal prison, and he said after sentencing, they killed one nigger, one Jew, and a white man, and they gave them all what I thought they deserved. Yes, that was a judge speaking. Takes you to the second part where incredibly as an old man, justice is served.
Speaker 6: Well, what happens is it's you know what happens is and I mean is that in the in the in the millennium, what we have is a situation where cold case squads are formed to look at old cases. That's number one. Number two. A lot of the a lot of the Southern not a lot, but the Southern states where you've had well known or infamous, rather infamous murders of like in Mississippi, a bar and Dela becke With killed NAACP leader MegaR Evers in sixty three. In nineteen ninety four, Dela beck With is prosecuted. So what happens is the law paper, the Clarion Ledger in Philadelphia, Mississippi, and Mississippi Attorney General Jim Hood, they push to prosecute the murder, the murderers of Schwerner, Goodman, and Cheney. And the only two dudes alive at that point that they can prosecute are the former deputy Price and brother Edgar Ray. Killing that's what they called them. And so the idea is to decide whether Killing was responsible for organizing the KK came off that so many years before committed these murders, and I, you know, and I think it's it's such a credit to Mississippi that they did this, you know that they went into the millennium and they said, we're going to make this right. So the second trial of killing began. He's eighty years begins June fifteen, two thousand and five. And the guy had a he had been in a logging accident. So he's in a wheelchair inhaling oxygen. And I actually wrote this, no open flames would be allowed in court. Gee, I wonder why I wrote that. And killing, you know, he was still an asshole shee did I say that on radio? And you know, he was like he punched out cameras and so forth and so on. And then out of the past, oh my god, out of the past. All these people come to testify against him. And Schwerner's widow or you name this reader schworn a Bender, she testifies for the prosecution, and she starts talking in two thousand and five about the civil rights struggle in Mississippi years no, I guess it would be. No, it's forty years before, and what it was like, and she explains how how her husband at the time went back to help these people, and so forth and so on, and all of a sudden, you know, you've got all these years stripped away, and Killing thinks he's gonna get away with it. You know, he thinks he's gonna get away. He thinks it's gonna be the same thing as a Lani thought. And but what happens is the prosecution does a magnificent job. They find a former Meridian, Mississippi cop and one time clansman named Joe Hatcher, who testifies kill him told them where the three young men were barn and then you know, the lis goes on from there. But what's but what's And then the relatives, you know, like Fanny Leech's Haney testifies, Uh, James James Cheney's mom, she's in her eighties and she testifies. I mean, prosecution did a brilliant job because they were they were tweaking the juries. What do you call it? Conscience? So and and and you know, it's just a brilliant, brilliant job. On the other hand, Harlan Major, who is a former mayor of Philadelphia, Mississippi, testifies that Killing was a good man. Oh yeah, right, he's a good man. Yeah, excuse me, Yeah, he's a good man, just like uh. Oh, I don't know, she's Vladimir Putin. He's a good man like Vladimir Putin. Sorry, I'll try not to get political.
Speaker 4: Go ahead with killing, uh with The brilliant part of the prosecution, or the good part of the prosecution is too, is that they didn't want to have the idea that killing would be prosecuted for murder and if not, you know, overwhelmingly convicted of murder, he would have nothing and he would walk out and this would be just an exercise of futility. So what did they include in this as an option for the jurors.
Speaker 6: Well, again, you know, and this is this is so interesting because it reflects on other cases that we see today, which is the prosecutor decided to bunt for the base hit. So what he did was he was all he was allowed to say say to the judge and then the jury. Okay, if you can't convict them on first degree murder, you can convict them on manslaughter, which is a much lesser charge, except if you're convicted of If you're eighty years old and you're convicted of manslaughter, let's say you get saying years for each each each each count, that's thirty years. Well that's a life sentence. And so the the the state Attorney General, Jim Hood, he was brilliant. I mean, I don't know any other word to say. He gave the jury that option. And in fact, what happened was the jury had some problems coming to a verdict, but eventually they convicted killing of killing of I'm sorry, of manslaughter for Goodman, Cheney and Schwerner. And that's when and then the judge pronounced this sentence and essentially it becomes a life sentence. And ironically, the judge, his name was Gordon. His family was part of the congregation that Killen used to service as a minister. But he but this, this gut. This judge does his job. I mean, he does his job. I mean, you know, that's why I'm sitting here as we're talking, I'm thinking to myself, where are these people today? You know, like this reflects so well to me on the state of Mississippi and also on the ability of the American criminal justice system to bring justice in a case like this. And I just think it's wonderful because you can't bring the individuals back, but you could certainly can settle it. And that's exactly what they did in two thousand and five. And of course Killing's lawyers tried to appeal the verdict didn't work, and as far as I know, I didn't check today. As far as I know, the dude is still alive and in prison, which means he's going to die behind bars.
Speaker 4: Yes, incredible story.
Speaker 6: Isn't it, Delf. You know what, It's really something. It's really something because you know this this was one you know, I have to tell you, Dann. This was a case that it was under the the the skin of our of our entire country, you know what I mean. It was one of those things where where you never thought it would have, you know, anybody would be responsible, and they did it. And again my head is off to these people for what they did. And look what they did. They they gave closure to the families of the decedents and they they they they and they held an individual responsible. You can't ask for anything more than that in a criminal justice system.
Speaker 4: It is an interesting evolution in Mississippi and the South, and it's a message to the Klan and people of that kind of mentality. So it is encouraging to say, at.
Speaker 6: Least, it's very encouraging, especially today when you read about how you know, the Clan has had the ability to rise at various points in our history. You know what I mean. You know they rise at various points and here's and but what it shows is that good people will always win out. And I'm not being naive. This is just the way it is. And by the way, when the Clan at one point in the nineteen twenties, I said to myself that Dan asks me about this, I got to mention this. In the nineteen twenties, the Clan tried to take over Oklahoma, true story, they tried to take over Oklahoma. You know what the governor did in the nineteen twenties, Oh my god, he called in one of the greatest lawn men of the Old West named Bill Tilman. He worked with Bat Masterson in Dodge City, and Tillman stopped the Klan. The point now, in that case, nobody was going to go up against Tillman because they knew he was a fast gun. Okay, But the point I'm trying to make is that the Klan rears its head periodically in our in our society, and thank God, every time that happens, there's somebody to cut their heads off.
Speaker 4: Yeah, for sure, certainly, Yeah.
Speaker 6: You don't have anything.
Speaker 4: Go ahead, I'm sorry, go ahead, Fred No, I was.
Speaker 6: Just gonna say, you don't have anything like that in Canada. Do you like the Klan?
Speaker 4: No? We but we do have racism here. As much as Canadians would like others to believe that we live in a you know, a racial utopia here, we dump all our we blame a lot of stuff on the Aboriginals.
Speaker 6: Here.
Speaker 4: Everything is fine if it's what we put a certain face, a public face, and on the world stage, you know, with powwow dancers, and we're you know, the Prime minister, with the ceremonies. And certainly Canada's probably treated their Aboriginal people's better than we'll say America, and say better than Australia, but that doesn't mean much because they weren't treated well in those countries. So I think the same mentality. It's it's interesting when you look at how people perceive black people and Hispanics and other and Asians, and when you look at in Canada too. We can't be immune. There are certain people that have this idea that as white people, we are superior or adversely, other races are inferior, and so I think that mentality still exists. Obviously, some people persist with that idea and it continues everywhere.
Speaker 6: You see. This is really that's really wow. You know, that's really interesting. I'm going to have to do I'm going to have to go and do some reading on Canadian history. I have to. I have to plead a certain amount of ignorance, So I'm going to have to do it. You know, every time I'm along with you, I always apologize for Ethan Allen trying to invade Canada back in seventeen seventy six. You know, I'm sorry about that. You know, I don't know what the hell that idiot was. Thankful. Sorry, gee, you think I'm going to carry New Hampshire Now, all right, go a hell. Fred. I'm sorry Fred.
Speaker 4: You you had said that you were working on an incredible case. And also we were talking about, just before we did this interview about James Brown who died apparently at seventy three on Christmas Day two thousand and six.
Speaker 6: Marsail your name. You just broke it. Then we didn't mention his name. You broke it, buddy. I broke it. James Brown. James Brown died. James Brown was taken to the hot James Brown, the godfather of Soul, was taken to the hospital Emery Hospital in Atlanta in two thousand and six on December the twenty fourth, with a drug overdose. He was the doctor was able to work it out so that he was he was recovering. Its scheduled to be released when he suddenly died Christmas morning, December twenty fifth, two thousand and six. Wards, it's almost ten years ago. And here's where it gets interesting. The family insisted no autopsy be performed, so his death certificate reads cause of death pneumonia. Well, he cut his children out of his will, leaving almost his entire estate approximately one hundred million dollars to the I Feel Good to Trust for underprivileged Children. Well, soon after he dies, his family sues to break the will and they're successful. The trust no longer exists yet, though allegedly the family has received a lot of money from the estate, it has never been probated. Now, what happened was, I've been working on this case for almost a year and I just drove thousands of miles to Oklahoma and back and involved in Oklahoma City. I saw the evidence that James Brown was actually murdered, and I've contacted the United States Attorney to let them know about my investigation. And I'd like to write a book about it.
Speaker 4: Well, it sounds like people will be interested in reading about that. For this interview, I did do a little bit of background on James Brown in terms of his death and of course the seven children and his fourth wife contesting the will and then just frittering away some money with this because but also that the role of Al Sharpton. Oh, tell us a little bit about who was supposedly with him, around him, involved with him.
Speaker 6: Okay, what what? Okay? Al Sharpton? There were there were there were two guys. There were three people that that James Brown was very close to, and one of them was the Reverend Al Sharpton, which I didn't know, by the way, until I started on this case. I had no idea the Reverend Al Sharpton. Second person is Charles Bobbitt, who was his good right hand man. The third person is Buddy Dallas, Albert Buddy Dallas, who was his attorney. And what happened was that in the in the room with him when he died. Charles bobbittt was has already admitted publicly that he was in that room with him when he died. However, there was another individual who whose name has never been made public, and that's part of my investigation who was there. Now Sharpton is is not involved in in in in any of this or you know this part of it about how he died, the murdering the Reverendel Sharpton has nothing to do with it. But he was a close confidante of James Brown. And this is prior to the Tweed Bori case. So so Brown every you know, Brown had a problem. He was into PCP right and so. But the most important aspect of this is this, after James Brown died, his family insisted no autopsy be performed. And I can say that with a surety that if it was performed, and his body currently resides on one of his kids has a farm in South Carolina and it's in it's in it like what he called a musoleum, sort of a makeshift musoleum. He was embalmed. And I believe that if if if there was a an autopsy, it would show that the man was murdered and again, I you know, I've got I've seen the evidence. It's an evolved in Oklahoma City. Now what happened? Then?
Speaker 4: Tell us just a little. I mean, I know that we're gonna be having you on, I'll have you back on to talk about this, and there's more more to be said and more to come.
Speaker 6: Obviously, but God, God, Dan, go ahead.
Speaker 4: The thing is you talk. You talk about Buddy Dallas. And what's important before we again, just for the for the audience to know, is that there was this idea that the seven children were going to be He really didn't have a good relationship with him. He was affected by going into and doing performances in these six children hospitals, and he made a commitment at that time because it was so affected, that he would spend all his money, give his money away to these underprivileged children to educate them to make better their lives. So, now, what did the Buddy Dallas have to do with at least his idea that the children were not going to gain from James Brown's death.
Speaker 6: Well, well I can tell you this, mister Dallas. I met mister Dallas. I met mister Dallas, and what occurred was this when Brown made out his will. He according to my information that I got from one of my sources, one of my principal sources, Brown said he was going to cut his kids out except to give them enough money for college education. And and and mister and according to my information, mister Dallas was he was trying to advise him that he shouldn't he should give them something else, something more. And mister Dallas was he was oper you know, he was doing the I think the right thing. And but that didn't happen. And so the money was left to the I Feel good trust. And again when when when James Brown died, the family insisted that no autopsy be performed, and the doc they're acquiesced, even though Brown had gone to the hospital with a drug overdose and he died in a very suspicious manner, which I will talk about when I hope when I get to write this book. And so, mister Dallas, I think operated in the right way, you know. And as far as but as far as James Brown is concerned, you know, you've got forensics, you know, and forensics could actually show, if autopsy were performed, that he did not die from pneumonia, which is what it says on his death certificate. Yeah, and I have I have. I have to tell you it's been a it's been a long slob on this. I've been working on this case for ten No, it's about a lie. I don't know, it's you know, this is the twelve months. Hey guy, I haven't even I haven't even gotten a publisher or or an agent yet. You know, I've been so busy investigating, you know what I mean. But it's it's it's uh, it's really something, and uh, it's really something. And you know, I I, you know, for something reminds me of Lobster Boy actually because of the fact that I've seen evidence, you know, and I'm involved.
Speaker 4: Yeah, very very exciting, very interesting. We'll be following you and and the audience will be following you on this one for sure. Certainly.
Speaker 6: Well, I can't tell you how much your support and the audience is support means to me. It's it's just it's incredible, you know, it's just incredible. You know. Every time I do your show, I say to myself, is Dan the only one that reads the book? How many times do I do an interview with somebody they never read the friggin book? You know, yeah, you know, and but you know, also the fact of the matter is, you know, you yourself are a homicide investigator. You're a journalist, and you know and and you're an author, so you know, your skill set is much different than a lot of individuals who do similar work to what you do.
Speaker 4: Well, thanks, Fred. What it is too is that these I think some people just don't have enough time or don't see the importance of really reading the entire book for an interview. One way or another. That doesn't happen for them, but they are missing out for the you know, the passion that comes across on the pages of your books along with other books. But and then in the audience gets that in these interviews and then gives me so much feedback, and you know, you get it as well from people who have listened to the program and just are enamored by our interviews and talking about these stories and these cases. So it is a great community I think that we're speaking to and involved with, and it's my great pleasure to have you on, Fred, and it always is because these books are captivating and incredible and it's just one good, enjoyable true crime history lesson with having you on FRET. So I want to thank you very much for coming on and talking about did they really do it? And just giving us a tease on what's coming up next with the murder of James Brown. So thank you ver much.
Speaker 6: Dan. It's my pleasure. And all I'd like to do is wish you, your family and friends a healthy and a happy new year and everybody that's listening to us, because that's the most.
Speaker 4: Important thing, absolutely, Fred. I want to give this opportunity to do the same for you as well. I hope you have a great holiday season and the best of health and the best of success in the new year, and I'm sure that will occur. So I want to thank you very much, Fred, thank you very much for coming on talking about did they really do it? I hope to speak you speak with you in the new year. Thank you very much.
Speaker 6: Yes, thank you, Darren Audios.
Speaker 4: Good night, Fred, thank you, good night.