Speaker 1: Lucky Land Casino, asking people what's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky? Lucky in line at the Delhi I guess ah, in my dentist's office more than once. Actually do I have to say? Yes?
Speaker 2: You do?
Speaker 1: In the car before my kid's PTA meeting? Really?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: Excuse me? What's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky? I never win? And tell well, there you have it.
Speaker 4: You could get lucky anywhere playing at lucky landslots dot com.
Speaker 1: Play for free right now? Are you feeling lucky? No, We're just necessary foid. We're gonna be my long eighteen plus terms conditions of place he wants every day else step into the world of power, loyalty and luck. I'm gonna make him an offer you can't refuse. With family, canoli's and spins mean everything?
Speaker 5: Now you want to get mixed up in the family business, Introducing The Godfather at champacasino dot com.
Speaker 2: Test your luck in the shadowy world at the Godfather slot.
Speaker 1: Someday I will call upon you to do a service for me. Play the Godfather now at champacasino dot com. Welcome to the Family vdW Group.
Speaker 5: No purchase necessary. I believe we're premited by loss. He terms and conditions eighteen plus.
Speaker 1: Lucky Land Casino asking people what's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky? Lucky in line at the deli, I guess ah, in my dentist's office more than once. Actually do I have to say? Yes? You do? In the car before my kid's PTA meeting? Really? Yes? Excuse me? What's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky? I never win? And tell well, there.
Speaker 2: You have it.
Speaker 1: You could get lucky anywhere. Playing at lucky landslots dot com play for free right now? Are you feeling lucky?
Speaker 4: Nope, we're not necessary for We wait for my long eighteen plus terms and conditions plus se wester details. It is Ryan here and I have a question for you. What do you do when you win?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 4: Are you at fist pumper, a wooo, a handclapp or a high fiver?
Speaker 1: I kind of like the high five.
Speaker 4: But if you want to hone in on those winning moves, check out Chumback Casino at chumbecasino dot com. Choose from hundreds of social casino style games for your chance to redeem serious cash prizes. There are new game releases weekly plus free daily bonuses, so don't wait start having the most fun ever at Schumbuck Casino dot com.
Speaker 5: Billbert Necesary dheverb By lost in terms of conditions eighteen plus.
Speaker 2: You are now listening to True Murder The most shocking killers in true crime history and the authors that have written about them.
Speaker 5: Gasey Bundy, Dahmer, The Night Stalker BTK.
Speaker 2: Every week another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history. True Murder with your host journalist and author Dan Zupanski, Good Evening. In nineteen seventy four, Dennis Lynn Rader stocked and murdered a family of four in Wichita, Kansas, since lessons he had read about serial killers and imagined becoming one. Soon after killing the family, he murdered a young woman and then another, until he had ten victims. He named himself b t K Mind Torture Kill and wrote notes that terrorized the city. He remained on the loose for thirty years. No one who knew him guessed his dark secret.
Speaker 5: He nearly got away with his crimes, but in two thousand and four he began to play risky games with the police. He made a mistake. When he was arrested, Raider's family, friends, and co workers were shocked to discover that bt K had been among them, going to work, raising his children, and acting normal. This case stands out both for the brutal treatment of victims and for the ordinary public face that Raider, a church council president, had shown to the outside world through jail house visits, telephone calls, and written correspondence. Katherine Ramslin worked with Raider himself to analyze the layers of his psyche. Using his drawings, letters, interviews, and Raider's unique codes, she presents in meticulous detail the childhood roots and development of one man's motivation to stock, torture, and kill. She reveals aspects of the dark motivations of this most famous of living serial killers that have never before been revealed. In this book, Katherine Ramslin presents an intelligent, original, and rare glimpse into the making of a serial killer and the potential darkness that lives next door. The book they were featuring this evening, It's Confession of a serial Killer, The Untold Story of Dennis Rader, the BTK Killer, with my special guest journalists and author and professor Katherine Ramslin, Welcome back to the program, and thank you very much for agreeing this interview. Katherine Ramslin.
Speaker 3: A right, happy to be here again.
Speaker 5: Thank you very much. Catherine. This is I always say incredible, I overuse that word, but this is fantastic, incredible, comprehensive, amazing, and let's get right to it. You talk about in the book that we'll use a code name Donnette, and that there was correspondence back with Dennis Rader in two thousand and five. So tell us about that correspondence and how you came to become involved in this project. Why Dennis Rader tell us when you began correspondence. Tell us a little bit about the genesis of this project.
Speaker 3: Well, it happened. What happened in two thousand and five when he got arrested is Donnette approached him about writing a book about his sort of dark journey, as he called that, and he agreed to do it. They became correspondent. She visited him quite a few times at the jail and then later at the maximum security prison, collecting a massive amount of material over the period of five years. And I knew about her from newspaper reports that she was doing this, But then I saw her on Facebook in twenty ten and I asked her what happened, whatever happened to her book, and she immediately asked me if I would take it over. She didn't want to, She couldn't do it for a variety of reasons, and she would. Reader had signed over his METEA rites to the victim's family. It was like a trust fund for the victim's families who participated in it, and so she had given all of her documents to the victim's family trust, which would be accessible to me if I were to be approved by the attorney for this trust and by the victims' family members. So I decided I would take it on. I wrote a proposal that I thought would use his story to benefit criminology, psychology, and law enforcement, and that just be a tale of some serial killer wanted to talk about himself, but would be really something that would be a valuable would be a value to my colleagues and offers to investigators. So I wrote a proposal with that in mind, and they appreciated that they didn't really want a book of this nature out there, but they knew it was inevitable. And if we're going to be written. They preferred that it be something that would be valuable to scholars, to practitioners, to investigators. So they approved me and it went forward from there. So I worked with him for five years, but I really had ten years worth of material.
Speaker 5: Now you talk about this first correspondence was split between Donnette and another part was to you, or at least part of the inevitable correspondence was done that way. You tell us about you say, there's a series of letters about hummingbirds and moon cycles. But tell us about the early correspondence and what you soon after the hummingbirds and moon cycles, what you asked him specifically for what information you asked him specifically to send you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean he had to be introduced to me as well. It couldn't just be the families saying okay, that's fine. So he had to also accept that I would be the person to do this. So there was a little bit of like small talk through letters. You know, this is who I am, this is what I want to do. And then I said, in order to really write a proposal to move this book, I need your you know, a torture one of your torture fantasies and so he decided for several reasons that he wanted to put this into code. The first reason being that he didn't want this to end up on the internet somewhere like one of the prison guards might see it and sell it or something like that, so he wanted to keep it under under wraps. So that was one reason. A second reason is that he liked to talk through codes because he thought of himself like a spy and that was kind of a thing he liked, he liked to do. And the third was a challenge to me to see if I would play along, so to speak, and also figure out the codes. So the first thing is that he was going to give half of the code to Donnette and half to me, and he sent me a series of newspaper articles and magazine pictures and whatnot that things were circled and they with ABCD etc. On it, and that would correspond with a list of things that he talked about in his letters. So here and there I would find ABC in the letters, which wasn't easy. And then once I populated my half, I was to see what Dawnette's half did. And once you put it all together, then we would tell him what we got and then I would pass the test.
Speaker 5: Now, you talk about the previous book that you had a few years before this, a few years ago, and it was called The Mind, The Mind of a Murderer, and it dealt with how mental health experts looked at extreme offenders. You mentioned it because it had some bearing on this, or it prepared you in some way. What did you get from that project that helped you to understand or prepare for this.
Speaker 3: That was an interesting project because I had been doing a lot of research in forensic science history and one of my favorite people was a French pathologist named Alexander Lakasania, and one of the innovative things he did in the eighteen nineties was to get offenders, incarcerated offenders to write about themselves, right about their lives, and write about their motives, what they think were their influences and becoming criminals, some of whom wrote extensively. And then so he would go in each week and look at what they wrote and encourage them and sometimes even publish them in one of his journals. And he sort of started this thing called criminal autobiographies. And not many people have taken that up since him. You know, over one hundred years ago, but a few have, and so I thought it would be interesting to look back across the century to see what other psychologists or psychiatrists, you know, mental health experts of some kind, had really taken the time to go beyond the typical standardized assessments and clinical interviews, to spend time with an extreme offender, meaning a mass murderer or a serial killer, to see, you know, to have them tell their stories, to be trusted, to really try to document the trajectory of their path toward violence in their lives, knowing that sometimes they're going to lie or exaggerate, or have memory issues or whatever. But and it's a very time consuming thing. But I found a dozen cases of mental health experts who are willing to really spend a lot of time with an offender to learn their life story. And so I wrote a book that might have been two. Each chapter represents one of these efforts, you know, without ever imagining I was going to do this too, but this book got published, and then almost immediately I ended up with this opportunity to do exactly what I had just done, you know, documented to do this with Raider. So I had these role models, both both in terms of the mistakes they made and in terms of the innovations they they created to try to figure out how did I want to approach Rader? So it was really quite an interesting schooling just it was just something that I wanted to do and it turned out to be, you know, pretty beneficial for me.
Speaker 5: You talked about this criminal autobiography, and then you talk about how you were approaching Dennis Rader, and you talk about this being an assisted auto biography. So yeah, tell us what that assistance entailed.
Speaker 3: Okay, I get I think I've probably started calling it a guided autobiography in that it's certainly his story and about eighty percent of it is in his words. But there are a couple of things. There are a couple of reasons why you wouldn't just want to read his words straight out. And he agrees with me on this one. Is that he has a lot of language processing issues, so his grammars can be very difficult, and the spelling and even his phrasing sometimes he has processing difficulties. So it was better for me to try to take his words and make them a little bit more accessible to readers. So that was that was one thing. But the other thing was that if he were just left to his own devices, he would, you know, his insights, whatever they would be, would be limited. And so what I was trying to do was put triggers in, give him him primers, things to think about. Like I would send him articles about psychopathy, for example, because he had actually watched the Charlie Rose special on the Brain, so he had some ideas, and I sent him some more material. We read a book, Adrian Rayne's The Anatomy of Violence. It took him two years, but he made his way through the whole thing and talked about this is how he thought it applied to him, so it's a guided autobiography, and that these were not things that wouldn't necessarily have occurred to him to be thinking about in terms of himself. But because I was there, and because I brought to it clinical and forensic expertise, I was able to structure it in a way that helped him along. But still it's him, you know, I didn't feed him any thoughts about here's how you interpret this, but but it's still him trying to figure out who he is and why he became a serial killer. So you get him. It's really about eighty percent in his words, but I still guided it. And also there are things like if he mentioned HH Holmes or Harvey Glatman or Ted Bundy or some of these cases, or he talked about a movie or a book that inspired him or frightened him, well, then I would read the book, and I would watch the movie, and I would would provide the frame so that readers wouldn't you know, I wouldn't You wouldn't just assume that readers know exactly who Ted Bundy is or H. H. Holmes or you know, the wax Museum or any of those things. So the other part of what I did in this was to provide the frame for some of the things he talked about.
Speaker 5: Let's go right to that, because not everybody knows the HH Holms story, but most people do. But let's put it in relation to the influence that had had on Dennis Raider. And because it's again where we just talked about the correspondence where you asked for the torture fantasy. There's some codes involved, and you have to figure those codes out to be able to understand what he's trying to say in that, but you also have to explain and you say, it's important to understand his torture fantasy in relation to what he had learned about HH Silms and what he had respected and was influenced by from HH Holms. So tell us about Herman Mudget and his influence and what Dennis Rader got from it.
Speaker 3: Well, you have to kind of start a little bit earlier with Writer's own development of what was arousing to him. And he liked to bind himself with ropes because he found that particular pleasant and arousing, even before he was a sexual person. He just enjoyed that. So when he as a teenager, he found these two detective magazines under the seat of his father's car, and one of them was Harvey Glatman, who was a serial killer who posted as a photographer inviting women into, you know, into his apartment and then tying them up, pretending he's going to photograph them for the cover of a magazine and then telling them they're going to die so he'd get the photographs of their terror. That was the first one that really impressed itself on Raider because he loved the binding, the ropes and then their look of terror and the knowledge that it was total control over them. So that was the first one. And then along came a front cover about you know, the White City and HH Holmes in his Murder Castle, which was a hotel he had built in the eighteen nineties as the World's Fair was coming into Chicago, and the idea, you know, he was going to allow these young women to register for a room and then he would put them into a special special rooms that he had that were torture devices or something where he could spy on them dying, being gassed, things like that, and then he would strip the flesh from their bodies and sellthers skeletons to medical schools and whatnot. So he was quite the con artist kind of put himself to a medical school that way. And it was the idea of him having this hotel, this three story hotel with torture devices that got to Raider and so he would think about barns in Kansas that they drew his attention. He would look at the barns and the silos with their layers and think about what torture devices could he put into these barns if it were him. Among them being a railroad track. He wanted to have a train inside a barn because he had a particular fantasy about tying girls to railroad tracks and having the trains run over them, and so he needed to have a big barn that would somehow have a train track fantasy is what it is. That's all I have to say, because obviously that wouldn't be very practical, but in his fantasy, that's exactly what he had. So modeling it off of HH Holmes with some touch of the Harvey Glatman influence with the bindings really and then Dudley do Right with the nell tied to the railroad track, that kind of mixed all together to influence his teenage fantasies.
Speaker 5: You also mentioned even things like everything sort of factored into this with something about the bound chickens and the things he did with cats.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that would be. The other thing is he spent a lot of time in his grandparents' farm, and apparently his aunt or his grandmother didn't really like the barn cats, and he also saw them as kind of mysterious. He didn't like the way females made him feel off balance. He's a very controlling individual, and so to him, cats were female. Whether they were or not, they just had that kind of effect on him that they seemed as mysterious as females. So he would hang them in the barn. And so that again becomes the barn is the place you do these secretive things with bindings and whatnot. And with the chickens that wasn't actually on the farm, that was his father raised chickens in the backyard. When they moved to Wichita, one of his duties was to assist with killing the chickens for dinner. So watching their heads get cut off and watching their bodies run around and you know, horror stories like that.
Speaker 5: At the same time that he has this psycho sexual development, yet he still has these motivations. He's a guy that goes into the military eventually. So tell us what he was like as a student. And again, where do you dispel the myth of having this tread of characteristics that all serial killers are have to have, and that one of those includes abuse in his early childhood. So tell us a little bit about what he said about his childhood, his upbringing and what you found out as well.
Speaker 3: To yeah, yeah, and that was one of the things he too thought about. It was called the McDonald triad, which his animal abuse bed wedding and fire setting, and he wondered, you know that, why don't I have these things? He certainly had some animal abuse, but not he didn't abuse all animals. He liked dogs, He loved his own dog. It was really just cats that he set out to abuse him. Not really that often either, so but he didn't. He set a couple of fires, but he certainly wasn't doing repetitive fire setting, and not bed wedding according to him. And he did not have what many serial codes have in their background, is abuse, child abuse, verbal or physical or sexual or anything like that. But there is a possibility he had a head injury. His mother dropped him on his head when he was a child a baby. He turned blue, They didn't get him any help and get him too a hospital. She also had fallen off a horse when she was pregnant with him, and then later when he's a teenager, he was in a car accident where he hit his head. Now we don't know that that these head injuries have anything to do with it, but we do know that the brains of violent individuals certainly have some issues with areas of the brain that process moral information, that make decisions and do behavioral inhibition, and we do find that sometimes when people have these head injuries, it replicates what we also find in the violent brain. We're not at the point where we can say that this is causal, and I don't have an MRI of raider's brain to point out any of these issues, but we can't say that this isn't an influence either, because we've certainly seen it in the brains of violent individuals.
Speaker 5: Now, in the beginning of this five year correspondent, you ask him again for right away, you ask him for his torture fantasy. After you break those codes, what is it about that first correspondence, that torture fantasy? What do you learn specifically that you take and move on to the next correspondence, which is mostly letters and phone calls. You say, there was some visits, but they weren't as productive. So what was right from the very beginning, what did you learn from that very first must have been informative letter from package from demonstrator.
Speaker 3: I'd say that first package was informative, but then it kind of dropped into there was a point where I really didn't think there would be a book because the kinds of things that he was sending to me were not what I would have considered of any interest. Really, it was like the genealogy of his family who came over from Germany and things like that, long long letters. He had what I call hypergraphia where he liked writing a lot. He would send daily logs, pages and pages of daily logs, and he would write long letters. And many of the letters he wrote to Donnette also were not really very valuable for the kinds of things I wanted to try to find out. But I think it took a while for him to settle in and understand we're really trying to plumb the depths here. It was actually me who ended up writing the code we were going to use for the book, and I put that in the introduction where in the end I wrote a code that I thought would be complex enough to really cover everything and also would appeal to him because he liked the number three particularly, so I did a lot of things like three different tools and three different layers of soil and such things as that. But the ability to use a code that actually had a lot of complexity to it began to open things up a little bit more. But I'd say it took a couple of years before I thought, we really are We really do have a book here, and he really can reach in and start thinking about things. The initial letter, you know, was very interesting, but what followed after that wasn't. And it did take a while, but finally, when I think when he really started to think about what it was like to plan to stalk, to kill someone, to keep journals about it, to keep trophies, to form Heidi holes, that all became very you know, I hate to say it, but it was quite rich for a book of this nature to have him really get the raw material down. But one of the best things that happened, which was completely unexpected, was we began to watch some television shows, and some of the television shows actually gave us some really rich material in a metaphorical way. He told me to start watching Bates Motel, which is not one I thought I would ever watch, but I ended up being very addicted to it because it really was good writing. It was really tremendously interesting about the development of somebody who already had a latent kind of mental or vulnerability into a killer because of the way his mother and her condition trespasses on him. That wasn't really like Rater. But the one that really was interesting was The Americans, which is a show about a couple of Soviet spies who are planted in the United States during the Reagan years, and they raise kids and they act like they're your neighbor, and they're like everybody else, but they have all these missions they have to go on, so they leave this double life that's very edgy and very risky. Their kids don't know anything about it. But weirdly, the way one of the kids begins to realize something's up, it was very similar to some of the sentiments that Raider's own daughter actually stated when she did give her one interview to the newspaper, and the sort of betrayal she felt in the sense that I don't even know it's real anymore. I don't have any idea. So this daughter is talking a lot about that, and it was interesting to me that Rader failed to see the parallels. I mean, he could see exactly what his daughter said, he could hear what this character page was saying. He could not see that they were the same thing. And so that began to show me the buffers he had up in his life against actually realizing the impact he was having on people that he claimed that he loved, and it was very similar to the show The Americans, very similar, just the way the parents didn't seem to really have a clue that their devotion to their missions and Water had his devotion to his mission would have terrible reverberations in the lives of people they knew if anything was ever revealed, And they built up these compartments psychological compartments, very similar to the way that he did. And so that show was amazing. So as we talked about each episode, there were things revealed about him, almost similar actually to the way Ted Bundy when he was telling the detectives about trying to help them with the Green River serial killer case. The more he talked, the more they realized this about you. So it was actually very similar to that because later when he would talk and especially when he didn't see the blind spots. Now I'm really I'm getting to know him in a way that I don't think he realizes. I'm seeing how he is engaged, not just what he's saying, but how he's engaged with his own thinking processes and his words. And that was very interesting to me.
Speaker 5: One of the most fascinating parts of your very very fascinating book is the actual before, much before he kills anyone, you have him chronicle and plumb these depths, as you say, of his own psyche to remember and be able to detail. And again, a man of minute date detail is the perfect guy for this. And he comes through and tries to describe what he calls his factor X and his sort of rehearsal projects, and then the fantasy and better times in his life. He seems to suppress these desires, but tell us before he does anything murderous, how he tries to control himself. How does he try to control this monster that he certainly much before he commits murder, he at least identifies within.
Speaker 3: Himself well he even as an adolescent like One of the interesting episodes of his life was the Clutter family murder in Kansas, about two hundred miles to the west of Wichita, occurred in nineteen fifty nine when he was fifteen or fourteen, and he hears this on the radio, and his first impulse is that he wants to do because they use ropes to bind the family. He wants to bind the girl in the car with him and kill her so that's you know, early thinking. He's already had you know, arousal at the idea of what Glatman had done to his victims, binding them and having them complete under control. So some of these early thoughts are clear. He also begins to understand that he is aspiring to be a serial killer, although no one's using that phrase at the time, because he's seeing the fame they get, they get to be on the cover of you know, front page Detective and things like that, and so these two things are really working on him, as well as the idea that he can control females in this way. He does make a hit kit. He goes in. He starts to break into houses and do some petty crimes and things to see what he can get away with, and he in fact does it away with pretty much everything that he does, but it begins to feed into his sense of power over others. He becomes kind of a loner. He goes in and starts engaging in audo erotic activities where he binds himself, buries himself. He goes off on camping trips or supposed fishing trips so he can be alone to to string himself up in a tree or something like that. He creates hit kits that that are inspired by things he's reading about other serial killers. He carries that around. He starts thinking of himself as James Bond, and then he begins to cut out pictures of women in in magazines he calls his slick ads, where he'll he'll take like a seerious catalog of you know, women posing in underwear, and he'll cut out the pictures and he'll he'll draw gags and bindings on them, and you know, various other items, and then he names them. He takes them with him places that that sort of becomes something that that keeps him from really acting out because his fantasy life is getting more and more witch but it's still under control. He then he then also goes off in the in the Air Force. He's away for four years and then comes back and gets married. So when he's doing what he calls his social obligations or you know, things that distract him, the fantasy life isn't isn't as prominent. But he got a job early on working on a kind of an assembly line, and he had, you know, a great deal of time to sit around and fantasize. So he but then he got a job where it was a little more challenging, and the fantasy is receded until he was fired or laid off. It's what he would say. He was laid off because of the industry going down. He then he was very unhappy. He's very angry. He now had a wife. He didn't quite know what to do, so he tried to kidnap somebody that failed, broke into a house that made him feel powerful again, and that is when he began to think about actually making his fantasies into reality.
Speaker 5: Now you detail. You mentioned the significance of numbers to him, and symbols to him, and images and imagery to him. So you talk about calling these things these projects. And you said early on in the book too, if everything that he had planned, all the people that he had stalked and looked at and studied, if he would have killed them, his numbers would have been fifty or sixty, ten times or six times or more what he actually did. So tell us about some of the the organizations he does, and some of the reasons why he stocks certain people and not others, and some of that stalking what that entails.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, as he once he actually murdered, decides to murder someone, it ends up being a whole family family four, so weirdly mirroring the Clutter family murder and without intention intending that that's what it kind of became. And so now he's done it, he's gotten away with it. He wasn't really sure he was going to get away with it. He's just a document that it makes him feel powerful at a time when he's you know, laid off. He's going to school, but he's not a very good student. So the part of his life where he feels in control and powerful is a part of his life where he's you know, a murderer, and so that sets it up to be repeated again. He starts to look for people. He gets a job in a security company, so now he can see the layouts of houses. He starts looking for people women who live alone, don't have dogs, who look particularly vulnerable, who looks small, because you know, he wants to be sure he can overpower them who live in houses that won't be really obvious. And in particular, they should have three in the address or some permutation like six or nine, something like that, because that's sort of a signal to him that you know, this is perfect. He likes corner houses or houses that are set off a little bit, so he does a lot of backyard stocking where he's walking up and down looking for particular types of houses that you think would be easy to enter. Of course, he's already knows how to set up many of the alarm systems. He starts practicing on how do you cut window glass? So he has an old window in his yard. You know, he gets equipment to try to learn how to do that and be what he calls a cat burglar. So he begins to look for, you know, perfect victims. It makes a lot of mistakes. Actually, the next victim he picks is about three months after the Otero family murder, and he thinks she lives alone. He's right that she lives alone. But his m O, which is pretty risky, is to get into you to watch their habits, to know when they come in and out, to know when to expect them not to be home, and then get into the house and wait for them. So that's pretty risky because you can't be sure they're going to come back in alone. And that's exactly what happened in the second one. Kathy Bright came in with her brother Kevin, and so now he's got to deal with two of them, including one being you know, a young man who who could overpower him, and almost did because they did have a struggle. Raider had a couple of weapons with him, but Kevin Bright went grabbed for one of the guns, and Rader really believed he was going to die right there in the house. So there's a struggle. He does shoot Kevin twice, but Kevin doesn't die. He manages to get up and run out. So that completely messes up the fantasy of what Rader wants to do. And so he stabs Kathy a number of times. He doesn't and she doesn't die until after she you know, the police come and they take her to the hospital. That's where she dies. But she could have easily given a description. Kevin gave a description, but they they didn't link it to Raider. He did think about killing Kevin. He thought about looking up where he lived and killing him to make sure to eliminate witnesses. So here's making mistakes even though he's got you know, he's trying to be very careful. He has the sort of code of leave nothing to chance, and yet makes a number of mistakes when he When he cases the O'to house looking for the mother and daughter, Julie O'taro and Josephine O'taro, he doesn't know they have a dog, he doesn't know there are three other kids in the house. He doesn't realize the father is actually home that day because he was in a car accident. So there's any number of mistakes that writer makes, even though he thinks he's trying to be very, very careful. But he does look for houses and certain types of victims. Many of these were on the road. If he had a job on the road, he would then go into other towns and he'd case houses there. So that's how he ended up with a list of fifty to sixty. You know, many people think that he stopped. He would just say he didn't succeed on all of these, but he's certainly had detailed notes on these various potential victims. He did.
Speaker 4: Hello, it is Ryan, and we could all use an extra bright spot in our day, couldn't we just to make up for things like sitting in traffic, doing the dishes, counting or steps, you know, all the mundane stuff. That is why I'm such a big fan of Chumba Casino. Chumbuck Casino has all your favorite social casino style games that you can play for free anytime anywhere with daily bonuses. That's your brighten your day, Lowe actually a lot, So sign up now at Chumbuck Casino dot com. That's Chumbuck Casino dot com.
Speaker 1: You'll be necessary daily. Where everybody lost the terms conditions eighteen.
Speaker 3: Plus enter a number of houses to wait for people who didn't come home when he thought they would, and he could have had many more victims than he did.
Speaker 5: Have you outline so many of the famous serial killers in this book because they occurred during the Rain of Terror that Dennis Raider and flicks on Kansas, but also that he is really admire certain serial killers like Ted Bundy and h Holmes and others like Harvey Glatman like you mentioned. But also, as you mentioned, he learns from these people's things such as the ruse. So what I want to talk about was what he did where he got some of the things he from. It seemed like he got a little bit from everyone, but the rules that he used where he has a mask, but he doesn't use a mask. Tell us why he wouldn't do that. What seems odd until you hear the explanation.
Speaker 3: Well, it depends on which case you talk about. But in some cases it just made him hot. I mean he sweated profusely, and so he didn't want to wear the mask and he knew he's going to kill them anyway. I said, didn't matter if he had the mask on or not. But I think, you know, he says he had no interest in the Zodiac Killer, which happened in late sixties in California. He was actually in the military, was overseas at that time, but a lot of his mo is pretty similar. So I think he definitely read some books about it. Because his idea of I'm a wanted fugitive, I just need your car. He wanted people to be put at ease because he thought if they feel like they're safe, you can control them more easily. So that was the first thing he wanted. He wanted to pretend to be something, so having the mask on would did not work that way. He wanted them to believe he's just a fugitive on his way somewhere, and he needed their car. He needed money, he needed, you know, items from the house, so if they just went along, they'd be all right. And that's very much like the Zodiac, much more so than some of the other serial killers. But he said he wasn't interested in the Zodiac because Zodiac was not someone who bound his victims and strangled them. He was more interested in Bundy, the bots and strangler, people who did the things that aroused him. So those were the serial killers he paid the most attention to. And Bundy, of course, was pretty famous for having a variety of ruses where he would pretend to be a police officer, for example, or somebody who in need of help. So later learned from these people. And the mask thing, I'm not sure what you're referring to, but there were times when it just was too it just made him swept too much, and so he didn't want to use it.
Speaker 5: No, that's what I was trying to get from you, is that why wouldn't he have worn the mask at the Otero's And it was that because that would have been he said, it was more difficult with a mask, So why not just not go with a mask? Like you said, he's gonna kill him anyway.
Speaker 3: So yeah, and then and and actually he wasn't all that shured that he was he was gonna do that until finally the young boy Joseph Jr. Opened the back door and then then he had to go through with it. But he also tried out gloves, a lot of different gloves, like the first one, the the Otero's. He had those those stupid kitchen rubber gloves that he can't do anything. He can't even do dishes with those things, and so he tried that and it was very clumsy. He would then try try like the kind of gloves you get in the drug store, and those didn't work very well. So then he stole some golf gloves, leather golf gloves, and those were better, but still took away some of the sensation of really touching a person's skin. And so you know, he goes through some of the discussions about the pros and cons of wearing gloves and not wearing gloves, and also in the masks, I mean, he talks about that they were just difficult. He brought them with but he often didn't like using them.
Speaker 5: This guy's a very complex serial killer. You talk about how unique he is and his experiences and his behavior is unique. So you also talk about some of the things he did, he like I say, he did a little bit of this and a little bit of that. Whatever he was really influenced by, whether it's walked, drawing on a chalkboard or writing on a chalkboard, or contacting the media. So at what point does he decide he needs that gratification, that ego gratification, and what does that correspondence tell the police.
Speaker 3: Well, the very first letter he wrote wasn't about ego. That occurred about eight months, nine months after the Otara murder, which is January, in January of nineteen seventy. For what happened is they had identified three men who they thought were suspects, and so the newspaper had written a story that they were questioning these men in the Oteo case, which kind of made Raider mad because because he was they were wasting taxpayer money. So he wanted to make sure they didn't spend too much time doing that because that was a waste of his taxes. So he wanted to set them straight that they had the wrong the wrong dudes as he called them. But at the same time he started to play a little game with that as he put this letter into a you know, a book in the particular library and directed the newspaper people to go find it. That kind of thing. So he's already playing what he called his cat and mouse games, and he didn't do much with that until after after he had killed I believe maybe the seventh victim he or maybe the sixth one he alludes to. He had to be careful because he didn't want them to link Kathy Bright's murder because he knew Kevin was a survivor. But he wanted them to know that there was a serial killer in town because he wanted that gratification of terrorizing the Wichita community. So he wrote to the newspaper basically saying the o'to's and another one and I think it was could have been Shirley Bayan or Nancy Fox, linking those together and then but leaving the Kathy Bright one unnamed, and they pretty much figured out which one he must have meant. But he did at that point want the ego gratification. And then he starts to write things like, you know, how many has to die before I get the kind of notoriety that people like Jack the Ripper and Ted of the West Coast meaning Ted Bundy, and you know some of the others. He names a number of serial killers that he wants to be thought of. He wants to be among the elite, and that's where he starts talking about we each have a factor X. No one knows when this monster my brain is going to act. I can't control it, you know, the next victim. I'm already looking at the next victim. So that during those days, those early days, he's really wanting to spread terror. And at one point he did go into a woman's house and thought she was going to come home. He mistook her daughter for her. He thought it was her daughter who actually lived in this house, so again making a mistake, but he goes in. She doesn't come home when he expects her to, and so he sends a package of items he's taken out of her house to basically tell her, you know, BTK was here and you could have been the next victim, which of course completely terrorized her as well as everybody else because he got into her house. So he's beginning to do that kind of thing. But then he stops, and they are not. They don't link him with the final three victims. Although they have their suspicions, they don't link him with the final three definitively because he doesn't write any notes afterwards. In the Shirley v in case he writes a poem about her, he writes a poem about the woman who he didn't kill, oh Anna, And mostly he's plagiarizing poems. He finds you in the library, in the college library, but he is trying to create this atmosphere of I'm out there, I'm among you. You never know who I'm looking at, you never know when I'm going to strike. So people began to know they come home, they check their phone lines first, because he knew he always cut the phone line. People started getting dogs and guns and alarms, and of course, you know, that plays right in for him because he's he is installing alarms, so he knows who's got what kind of alarm and how to you know, cut the wires or you know what codes they might be using. So you know, the ultimate boogeyman, the guy who sets up your security system and then uses it to get into your house and wait for you. Is is really quite a terrifying prospect for people.
Speaker 5: What is it you said talk about? The more fascinating part of this book, too, is that while he's got this and he calls it cubing to be able to compartmentalize himself and be able to and then lead a seemingly normal life. Let's talk about that seemingly normal life. He meets Paula, falls in love. Does she see anything and when? If anything, when does she see it? And in general, what does Paula think of their marriage? And how is he as a father? What's their life like?
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, he meets paul They at church, their their churchgoers. They you know, pray together and get involved in church activities. She gets a job as an accountant. They rent a house and then eventually buy a house and just have a basic, you know, middle class kind of life. Eventually she gets pregnant with their first child. He's very exited, you know, sh for all intensive purposes, this looks like a basic middle Midwest, middle class church going family. There's no reason to suspect otherwise. And then they have a second child, so they have a son and a daughter. He goes back to college and gets a couple of degrees. He gets you know, he's a breadwinner. He brings home the money to support them. He's a good father. According to things that his daughter has said no one ever suspects anything. There are a few incidents where he claims Paula called him at certain things that she has said she doesn't remember any of that. She doesn't think they happened. People have asked me about that, to which I say, well, people usually take their own memories away from any given incident. So if she did see him writing a poem that he said was a class project in criminal justice, you know, they want us to write something like the BTK Killer, that wouldn't have stuck with her at all. And I can understand her saying I don't have any memory of actually seeing him or catching him having that, Whereas it would stay with him because it would you know, that's a sweat inducing moment. Oh my god, she's catching me doing my BTK thing. So it would stay very clear in his memory. But it wouldn't stay in her memory at all, because to her, that's just one more assignment that he does papers, all of them, you know, all the time. What's the big deal. So for her to say that never happened, I just think it could easily have happened. She doesn't remember it, who knows. But for the most part, they were a basic church going family and very involved. He was a volunteer with cub Scouts with his son. In fact, he used that as a cover several times to go out and commit murder and nobody suspected anything, even when he decided to kill one of their neighbors, a woman who lived a couple of houses away, and did kill her, and then his daughter was terrified and he reassured her, you are safe, you have nothing to worry about. Of course, he knows she has nothing to worry that he's not going to do anything to her. So imagine imagine how she would feel knowing her father had said that to her after he's killed their neighbor. Horrible.
Speaker 5: The thing is with Paula, though he claims that his you know self bondage that he and cross dressing that he enjoys, and he enjoys at the crime scenes if if we haven't mentioned that, that he is caught by her a couple times and it's almost grounds for splitting up, at least according to him as well. Of course she gives them a second chance, and then of course the third chance.
Speaker 3: Well, that's another thing she says never happened. And for me, I'd say it never happened too. It's a pretty embarrassing thing. I my sense from all of that is that something happened of that nature. He remembers it, probably more clearly and in more detail, and perhaps even exaggerated the detail than she does. It's more significant for him because he would imagine this is a reason for divorce. She might not have felt the same way. So it's very hard to put those stories together. But I will say for him to make something like that up would be extremely cruel, because it's humiliating for her, for people who know her to say, Wow, did this really happen? And there's really not much that he does to humiliate her. He's pretty clear that he never wanted to hurt her, never lost his feelings for her, did not want her to be hurt by this book in any way. And so I guess I tend to think it probably happened. He didn't tell it just to hurt her or be cruel, But maybe she just doesn't have the same kind of sense of it that he does. You raised the cubing. You raised the cubing thing, And I'd like to say something about that, because that's interesting. In psychology, we call it compartmentalizing, which is a very long and clumsy word to get at the idea that that people, some of these people create whole alter personalities without really being like a multiple personality, but they create alter egos. They can have entire centers of morality that are contradictory within their own psyche. And Raiders that way. For example, on the On the Americans, there was a scene where a guy was being questioned by a Soviet agent. The agent puts a burning tire over him and his screams and screens and Raider was outraged, outraged that they would show such a horrible scene. You know, TV's like, what, how can you get the outrage? You're a serial killer? But that's what I mean that, that's that cubing. He calls it cubing, which I think actually is a better word, because he says, you live on one side of the cube, but you have all these other facets, other angles. You don't see them, but they're still part of you, and for various different purposes, you can move off the face of the cube onto the side of the cube or underneath the cube for whatever you need and be that person. So he can be a very religious person for example, to one correspondent who wants to do Bible studies with him, and he has all the right words and everything to sound quite real and sincere, and then maybe and then with me, he'll tell me all the worst things he ever did, and he's perfectly sincere about that. And then when the cops come in, he puts on another face for them. I certainly saw him putting on a face for the prison guards that was very different from the face he put on for me. So he's an impression manager, and part of the success of that is that he can be on these different faces of the cube. So I think his concept is really interesting. And he actually asked me at one point, did I come up with that? Or did you? You did?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 3: It's actually quite quite good. And I use it now when I talk about compartmentalizing, I use that metaphor.
Speaker 5: When we talk about when you talk about Dennis Rader, you talk about all organize This guy is today and always. Did he get better like unlike some serial killers that seem to get sloppier in which leads to an inevitable arrest. Was he getting better at what he was doing? He said, he made a bunch of mistakes in the beginning, and then he had a lot of projects that just didn't work out. Was he getting better?
Speaker 3: He wasn't getting better. He had only one that he would say was the perfect one that was Nancy Fox. The rest all had mistakes where he came close to getting caught or he left something behind. And also then when he started up his second cat and mouse thing with the police and newspapers, he was quite sloppy. He ended up on a security video he drove his son's SUV, which my opinion is, what in the world is your son going to think when he finds out you'd bek and you use his car for these things. But he's doing silly things like going in and buying cereal boxes that have a B or a T or a K in the title, like special K, putting these fashion dolls inside, leaving him out in public places where he could be seen or caught in a security camera. So no, he's not getting better. He's lucky in many ways. And then in the end he makes a pretty stupid mistake where he's tired of he's wanting to write his life story out for the police, even though you don't know what's true and what isn't true. So he has these chapters that he's putting inside these cereal boxes and packages, and he's copying them and then copying the copies and then copying the copies, which is very time consuming. He wants to stop doing that, so he asks he knows how to use a computer. He asks Ken Landweer, who was the task force leader. It's sort of through newspapers and through communications. Can you trace it if I use a computer disc and let me know of ad in the newspaper and land Where says no, we can't, which of course they can. He lied and later believed him and send a disk and was caught. So he wasn't getting better. I think he just ran out of luck.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was incredible, incredible trusting the police and explicitly or implicitly, and that led to his downfall. And also I guess his narcissism obviously led to that mistake. So when you talk about what's interesting about him is unlike some killers, is what the actual sexual act meant to him as opposed to these other people. And you talk about paraphilia, and you also talk about that really paraphilia itself or the study of paraphilia has been limited. So tell us about what you describe as paraphilia and how this relates to Dennis Rader.
Speaker 3: Well, paraphilias have not been well studied, but really the number in the thousands. And a paraphilia is an item or an experience that arouses a person and is considered somewhat perverse or debiant in that culture. So it is culture to culture. It's things like a shoe fet ish, sato masochism, both of those are considered paraphilias. Arousal at statues, which is statuephilia. You know, I could go on and on how many different peraphilies there are. But with Raider, he had the thing with ropes. That was one of his paraphilias to be bound, and so he would actually go hang himself, trust himself up with ropes. He had all kinds of contraptions that he would bind himself in to get aroused. He'd sometimes put himself into a like a dry cleaner bag with a barbie doll, things like that, which so many people would find that to be perverse or debiant and different. How however, your development goes when you're exposed to something. That thing might be arousing. So if that thing is an abnormal thing for our culture, and yet it becomes the thing that you find most arousing, even sometimes to the point of being unable to be aroused without it, and you have developed a paraphilia. Most of these are not criminal, but when they become coercive, that is, you need to trespass on the rights of another person, bring harm to them, or kill them, like necophilia. Now you have a criminal paraphilia, and raiders, which could have remained non criminal if he just found himself for autoerotic practices, became a coercive paraphilia when he decided he needed to bind other people to get aroused.
Speaker 5: Now, once these are rested, and obviously you corresponded with for five years, and you say it was again not so productive until after the second year. I'm continuing into the third and fourth and fifth year. What exactly you describe, And he describes in minute detail everything that he went through in terms of the planning, everything he went through, in terms of the fantasizing, everything that he went through, in terms of the other things that helped him get through till he actually did go through with the murders. Because at some points, as you talk, he has a tight schedule. He plans a couple of things for lunch hour. So the descriptions as you describe in the book tell us how he was able to be able to talk about these things, and yet he again he talks about remorse, described the incredible again contrast or conflict in how he talks about all of these things. But yet now that he's in prison again, it's incredible the complexity of this mind. But you have got this kind of dialogue and with these interviews you've captured that. So just tell us a little bit more about that correspondence him describing the oteros or any of the murders and the process that he went through and everything that he derived from that in terms of satisfaction.
Speaker 3: Well, one of the first things he wanted to make sure I understood is that he didn't really want to do this, but he did want to somehow give back to the victims' families for what he had, the harm and pain that he had caused them. And why would he say that to me, Because he's an impression manager. He wants me to think well of him. But so that's what I mean when I say how he's engaged with his words versus what he says. There are two different things, and I'm always careful to watch both layers of that. And when people ask me if he's out remorse, I always say, depends on what part of the QB's on, because if he wants to give a certain face, that's what he'll talk. He'll have all the remorse talk. And I don't know how deeply he feels that anymore than I know how deeply anyone feels that who uses the word remorse. You know how much do any of us know what another person feels. So I'm not going to say, no, he doesn't feel remorse, but I am going to say many of his actions contradict what we think of when we think of remorse. So if someone says, I don't really want to draw a torture silo for you, but then he spends days and days doing it in great detail, I'm sorry you enjoyed that. So you can say, oh, you want to me about not wanting to and feeling bad, but I see what really goes into that, and that you're into it. This is this is hot for you, So please spare me the rhetoric. I don't I don't believe you but I don't say that to him. I just know that to be true because I've also been a therapist. I've seen all kinds of stuff in therapy where people come in with a cover story, but that's not really what the issue is. So you're always watching behavior. You're always watching for patterns in the things that they're doing, and that's why it does take This is a very time consuming type of project because you have to be able to see patterns in a variety of things like drawings and poetry and whatnot, but you have to see them across time. And for example, at the end of the book, I talk about a dream that he has. Well, that dream would have been meaningless without my having seen so much that came before it, so that I now have a context for why. I think all of the items in the dream are quite revelatory. So I'm always looking at the how and the what. How is he engaged in the things and what does he say about them? And it's pretty clear. Like one of the things that was really striking to me was when he said how much he loved his kids, and yet he used his son's car to go drop off things. Well, in his mind, his son is in the Navy, and he's exercising the car, like putting the car to use, so that he's doing a loving thing. I said, but but can't you think about his point of view when if you to get caught and revealed as BTK using his car, don't you think that would hurt him? And he said, I wasn't going to get caught. It never it never occurred to me that I would get caught, like, but that's not a very loving thing thing to do, to not even think about, but what if? And then he became angry at me that I would that I would make him think about the possibility that his love for his son wasn't very deep or genuine. But that's my part of this is really I just don't buy that. I don't buy your story in that, you know, and I've actually been like the detectives who did the interrogation with him were sort of critical of me, and they said, well, you didn't confront him enough and get at the truth. And I said, well, first of all, I wasn't there as a detective. That wasn't my job. And secondly, you don't have any idea what my process is because this is his autobiography. A great many things went on behind the scenes. You will never see is I'm not writing a book about writing the book. I'm helping him write his autobiography, So you don't have any idea what kinds of things I said to him. But in any rate, I wasn't there as an investigative reporter, and I wasn't there as a homicide detective. I'm here as a psychologist looking at the layers, which will include him telling lies and recording the lies and everything else that I see so that other people, criminologists and psychologists can come in and see their own ideas and get their own interpretations out of it. So I think there's more in this. Certainly there's more in this than there was in their interrogations. I have the entire transcript of the interrogations and the videos of they made. There's a lot more that you can get out of a five year project then you can get in a thirty hour interrogation. And I had our time conveying that to them.
Speaker 5: But I think I'm right, well, I think I think, especially considering I think if police were to say, listen, you've given this guy an easy time, but we think he's a suspect and other murders, Well that's not the case. It's not Ted Bundy or Gacy or any of those people like that, or denial, denial, and it seemed like, again, no one can be quite certain that he wasn't responsible for any other murders. But if you put everything together, it looks logically like these are all that he was responsible for. He wanted to talk these ad journals and evidence, and so it looks like you weren't going to interfere with anything that the police could ever potentially do anyway. But to get to the again, the incredible inside. I know sounds cliche about the inside the mind of a serial killer, but when you let the serial killer tell the story, and again, like you say, are guided, and you call upon all of your expertise. You're responsible for sixty books. I don't think there's anybody more. You know more because it has done more study, So I I, yeah, I don't. The criticism of the police is not one.
Speaker 3: And I do go through because I say there are people who say there are more, and there are people who say there aren't more. So I go through the logic of that. Here here's how he's surround here's the behavior surround the Ethus murders. He recorded them, he kept items he did so if there are more wire there are no journal entries for anymore, that's one thing you have to ask. I think there could be another one, and I've gone to the police and said, if there ever is another one, I'll tell you. I'll tell you thing I know. I will cooperate with them. But with Rater, I think you have to look at the again, the consistency of behavior. He has actually talked with them about some of the open cases that they thought he might have done that remain open today. He's tried to help them. He's sat with them and said, here's where I was at that time, here's why this isn't mine. And they feel like they've pretty much covered that. If he has killed someone else, it's in another state or another country.
Speaker 5: Even before I let you go, we do have not talked about sort of a conclusion if there is anything like this. And of course I never expect anyone to come out to the why. But you've done everything except the why. Absolutely the why. There's certainly you've examined the why. But you talk about low self esteem, loneliness and human to contributing factors. How important after you looked at this and after all the research you did from previous books, how important is that in this case?
Speaker 3: Well, you know, one of the things that I noticed is not very many people have done much study on the role of humiliation in extreme climes like this. I think it plays a big role for some people. It's always about the way someone perceives their life. So if you're humiliated and that enrages you and makes you want to control women because your mother is the one who humiliated you, that's going to play a greater part in your subsequent behavior than someone who isn't as enraged by it or is made helpless by it. So that's how the person sees it, how they perceive it, and then what they want to do with that experience. That really really is key. There's no formula. I say this every single day. People tell and I just do a talk the other night. Everyone wants a formula. There's a profile of the serial killer. There's not a serial killer, isn't a criminal type. It's a description of the fact that you've killed at least two people in two different occasions. That's all it is. There's many motives, many moos. Some of them completely switch out what they do or the weapons they use, or they're victim type or whatnot. Unfortunately, some of the fiction TV shows have given us this notion that there's a formula, that there's a profile of the serial killer that they all sit and it's just not true. So one of the things I wanted to do with this book was talk about these formulas and the fact that even among my colleagues there are sometimes formulas like they would say, well, if you didn't find abuse, he just didn't tell you, he just lied to you, like or our formulas are wrong. But we need to accommodate the outliers, the ones who don't fit. And that's the whole point of keeping doing this research, is to to recognize that our formers are based on what we what we know to this point, but they're not based on all possible human behavior, and human beings will constantly surprise us, and water surprises a lot of people. So one of the reasons I wanted to write this book is because he does have a lot of unique things that don't fit what we've come to accept as our formulas for serial killers. So that's that's the good thing, because then we won't get, you know, in a rut, which I think we have gotten into. So that's one thing. What I do think is it's not about necessarily what causes someone, but more how do we study these cases to see what influences in a particular individual's life braided together in such a way as to become the ground from which this person not just became violent, but became serially violent. How did the addiction to violence occur? That is what we need to study. We need to understand paraphilias better, because they are addictive and quite rigid. If we understand better the perophilias that drive this particular type of behavior and get some treatments in place, I think we have a better shot at being able to really demystify the serial killer. But we're not there yet.
Speaker 5: And I agree with you too, because the most fascinating books and the most interesting books to me are to understand somewhat again, just somewhat, because again, Dennis Raider doesn't understand his own motivations to do things. Glad luckily, thankfully that you put your mind and the minds of all your experience and all your people that you know in the in this multi disciplined area that you've been able to come up with this, But I think it is really beneficial to be able to talk to those killers that want to talk and get. As you say, not everybody fits this little bill that was there was some good work when there was again in the pioneering days. But I agree with you too that I think we've been resigned to thinking that we know much more than I think we do. And I think the people to talk to are the experts, which are unfortunately people like Dennis Rader.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you know, I hope this book encourages my colleagues too. It's very time consuming and that won't pay off much in terms if they're looking for any financial benefit. I think it's extremely worthwhile and one of the things one of the reasons I wanted to do it was because I thought it would draw together really my entire experience and all the knowledge I've accumulated about serial murder and extreme offenders. It's like a professional accomplishment for me, regardless of anything else. But I'm hoping I will inspire other people with similar expertise to do this with others.
Speaker 5: Yes, well, I'm sure it will be this is a fascinating book and I want to thank you very much for coming on and talking about Confession of a serial Killer, the untold really the untold story of Dennis Raider, the BTK killer. Thank you very much. For those that might want to learn more about your work. I know we can go to Amazon, but do you have a website and do do Facebook?
Speaker 3: I do Facebook. I have a website, but I barely touch it. I'm mostly on Facebook. I have three different Facebook sites, so you can you can find me my personal page, you can find my my author page, my friends. It's Katherine Ramslam page. I'm very active on Facebook.
Speaker 5: Yes, well, I want again thank you very much Catherine for coming on and talking about the BTK. It's been fascinating and congratulations on an incredible book, and thank you and hope to talk to you again your future.
Speaker 3: I enjoyed, I always enjoyed being with you.
Speaker 5: Good questions, Thanks, thanks, Thank you very much Katherine, and have a great evening you too.