Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: You know, because when you're not expecting it, then you have an earthquake like we did yesterday, you feel the rest of the day like, did I was that another one?
Speaker 3: Did I just feel another one?
Speaker 2: I was so distracted with tax bs and I said so many bad words yesterday afternoon, just full on, full strings of all of the words, all.
Speaker 4: Of them, why all of them?
Speaker 3: So I filed an extension. I know I don't have to.
Speaker 1: Because in La County, La County, and it was up until October fifteenth.
Speaker 2: As long as you filed last year from an address in La County.
Speaker 4: And why is that? Fires?
Speaker 3: Or yes, okay, because of the fires.
Speaker 2: So thanks to the federal and state governments, to the IRS and the franchise tax bark well, thank you.
Speaker 3: But I don't trust those guys. I don't trust that.
Speaker 2: On the off chance that someone's like, yeah, but you should have filed extension. I just filed the extension. It's a tiny little piece of paper. It's not hard, I thought.
Speaker 3: Then they make it.
Speaker 2: So difficult that you have to estimate what you think your taxes are, how much you actually paid in taxes, and then whatever the difference is, either you get the refund or you owe them. Well, there's multiple calculators that you can use online fill out some of the super basic information from your W two. You could just take last year's right, Okay, I think so, but I don't know how. I don't know how close I have to be. What they don't ever explain to you, like if you screw up so bad that you say you get a refund when in fact you owe nineteen thousand or whatever the number is, you're screwed and we're going to take your children or whatever. I don't know, but they make it so unbearably hard for some. I'm not a dummy. My wife is not a dummy. And the two of us together came up with about six different combinations of what we would actually owe versus what the government would give us back. So none of it made sense, And at one point I just said, you know what, F you, and f all of it. I'm just gonna put in a bunch of random numbers and hope and I'm going to make sure that whatever number it.
Speaker 3: Says, I paid is over what I said I owed.
Speaker 2: Therefore they think they owe me a refund when all of this time they have all of the information and they could just tell me, you owe this much money in taxes, and you've already paid this much that was withheld from your paycheck, So give us a little extra, or here's a couple more, here's a couple bucks your way because you overpaid.
Speaker 1: I don't know where this fear from the IRS comes from, but it's instilled in all of us. We give them way too much credit. We think that they're after all of us all the time, and we're terrified of them inherently.
Speaker 4: For no reason. I mean, it's a weird. Who are these people? Anyway? You know, It's why those scams are so successful. You think the.
Speaker 1: Irs coming after you, and you flip out. It's like, what's the worst that can happen? Oh, you get audited.
Speaker 4: Okay, even if you get audited, they don't come arrest you.
Speaker 1: Are you in the mafia? Are you playing with shell corporations?
Speaker 4: No? No, no, none.
Speaker 1: Of us are. Okay, So like no, Like, I'm not saying you, Gary, and I'm just saying the universal you. Most of the I would like to say, probably for all of us listening, we're okay. Well, even if we screw up our taxes and the IRS says, you know what, we're auditing you, it's gonna be a pain in the ass and we're probably gonna have to hire someone to deal with They won't children, but nobody's children are gonna get eaten.
Speaker 4: Everything's gonna be okay.
Speaker 1: I think we have this outsized reaction to the IRS and to taxes period.
Speaker 2: But my biggest issue with it is not the fear of the IRS. My biggest issue with it is it's too convoluted. It is if I, for a reason, if I have to pay someone to translate all of these laws and forms and all of that stuff. And I'm an educated person, I think, and if I have to pay someone to translate that stuff to interpret all of it for me, then the government has gone too far.
Speaker 4: That's just well, you don't you don't probably, I mean, there's this is why lawyers have this is why there's professions for lawyers and accountants. It's make believe.
Speaker 1: Most of the time, they make it so weedy and so elaborate to where you need them. And you know who writes most of the codes for these kinds of things.
Speaker 3: Or the laws other lawyers in account Yeah, they.
Speaker 1: Do this to make it themselves indispensable.
Speaker 4: What in fact, they're entirely dispensable.
Speaker 1: Well, it just takes extra time and effort to sit down and weed through it, and I don't have the stomach for that. I'll be the first to say, Hey, I'll pay my way out of this if I can, I will.
Speaker 5: That said.
Speaker 1: My tax i did my taxes March tenth. I sent an email to my tacti yesterday. Hey, it's going on.
Speaker 3: How's it going?
Speaker 2: Nothing well? Again in La County. If you live in La County, whether or not you're there, I.
Speaker 1: Don't care if I'm paying you and you need an extension despite the fact that I did all my work last month.
Speaker 4: You need to let me know that. And that's on you, bro.
Speaker 1: And guess what, there's also a discount.
Speaker 2: Yesterday being irational, No, I think you're being perfectly rational. Yesterday, just after ten o'clock, we were talking a little bit about Bernie Sanders and Coachella.
Speaker 4: Hypoth this has come true.
Speaker 2: Ex oh, oh, that was the phone in the studio here telling us that the shake alert warning had been issued and then forty seconds later we felt the shake. So I mean, to me, of everybody's stories about what happened yesterday, we had a long time of warning ahead of when the actual shaking hit Burbank from yesterday's earthquake out in the Julian area. Proof that this shake alert program, this early warning system that's up in California and Washington and Oregon work.
Speaker 1: That's pretty cool. It's pretty cool that we get a notification. I mean, I say I don't want the notification, and I don't, but it's very cool that they're able to do that for an earthquake. We'll talk about that also. The elephants. If you haven't seen that elephant video freeze, I mean, I know it's been talked about, it's been posted Conway show. I think posted it yesterday afternoon. But I can't get enough of it. It's just very cool to see an animal reaction to this and how they behave and how they look out for each other. It's heartwarming, especially because we all have seasonal effective disorder, don't we.
Speaker 4: I do on one day? Oh is that not normal? It's so so cal of you.
Speaker 3: The sun may never burn again, guys.
Speaker 1: I haven't even told you about my yoga meltdown that I have.
Speaker 3: I'm listening speaking of photal.
Speaker 5: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: There's a bunch of stuff that is going on today. We will continue to keep an eye on the latest between the United States and China, of course, which now we know that China has decided that they are not going to send us the rare earth minerals that we like to use in our computers, in our chips, etc. So magnets that are critical to us production of everything from cell phones to fighter jets will stay in China for some point. So right after an attack on the governor of Pennsylvania, we told you about a man facing federal charge after allegedly threatening to kill Tulsi Gabbard. The Director of National Intelligence the Department of Justice says that this twenty four year old guy, Ali Akbar Mohammad Amin of Georgia sent threatening text messages to Tulsi Gabbard and her husband, including prepared to die you, Tulsi and everyone you hold dear America.
Speaker 3: Will burn, he wrote. So he is in he's in custom.
Speaker 1: I mean I thought it was gonna be a big moment for jd Vance. He's from Ohio. He likes to talk about how he's from Ohio. The Ohio State University makes a trip to the White House and he fumbles the trophy. He breaks the trophy for the national championship. What an odd, awkward moment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would have thought the trophy was made better than that.
Speaker 1: It would have been funny if Notre Dame won and then he broke the like that would have been a great moment. But here he is from Ohio, the Ohio State University there to celebrate and.
Speaker 2: Oops, whoops, Hey, yesterday we had an earthquake and it went well and there was earthquake.
Speaker 3: Earthquake, earthquake.
Speaker 4: That that's my sound.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, yeah, I think you tell me every time.
Speaker 1: Okay, I heard another show this morning playing that sound. That's not on this station. Really yeah, h who was it? I'd like to out them or no, absolutely not. But it was clearly stolen in the building. I mean, I know I wasn't the only one plugged into the molt box at City Hall that day, but it's pretty clearly the audio that Johnny Kent have been playing since it happened since I gave it to them five hundred years ago, and uh, anyway, should have trademarked it.
Speaker 3: We're having we're having a rough day between.
Speaker 1: The irs and people playing our sound from two thousand and eight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, lemone in here. We're a little what does that mean? Bitter? Right now? We are both we need to change.
Speaker 1: I used lemon zest and lemon juice in a couscous salad I made.
Speaker 4: Do you think that that has something.
Speaker 3: To do with its Oh?
Speaker 1: God, damn right, I did that, and I don't say gd. But when it comes to our Bonzopians.
Speaker 2: Later this hour, we're going to talk about the perfect day. There's a formula, scientific formula for the perfect day. The good news is our early warning system worked. The different waves that come out of an earthquake, the PEA waves and the S waves. The PEA waves move faster because they're going through rock. The S waves are slower. It goes through a computer system, the alert comes out.
Speaker 3: We got it.
Speaker 4: I have a question about the perfect day.
Speaker 1: I haven't looked at this, but I have an idea because this is how I recently described a perfect day to a friend of mine. I need to do something that's physical, like an exercise. I need to do something that's creative, whether it's cooking or drawing or painting or something like that.
Speaker 4: I need to do something that is what is the other thing?
Speaker 1: Oh, just like reading, like relaxing, something like reading for pleasure, you know, like that kind of a thing. Sure, those are like my three things that I have to do or else I go crazy.
Speaker 2: Well, this goes even farther than just the things that you have to do. It gives you an idea of how long you're supposed to be doing each of these things. Oh so cool. We'll talk about that perfect day. Tell me about your yoga meltdown.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 1: So this was on Sunday, and I had had a very productive morning. I did all the things that lead up to my perfect day. I worked out, I made the couscou salad. Sure, I was having a productive day. And I go to this new yoga place and I left like a half an hour. It's about a twenty minute drive. And I get there and I'm feeling like I've got it together. You know those days when you feel like you've got it together, like I've gotten things accomplished. I'm in a good mood, like I have figured out life. You know, you just have those moments of like things are good, I have figured it all out. So I was feeling that way, and all of a sudden, I get to the place and and I'm actually listening.
Speaker 4: To the audio book that we had talked about.
Speaker 1: Okay, so anyway, it should have been a tip off when I'm pulling into the parking structure where I think the yoga.
Speaker 4: Places, and the voice in the.
Speaker 1: Book started pissing me off, and so I I was like, shut up, I hit pause. That was the first annoyance. I get to this parking structure. I'm like, oh, I said to park on P one or P two. This isn't really labeled. I'm like, there's several parking structures around here. Is this the right part?
Speaker 4: Whatever? This is crazy.
Speaker 1: If they're really going to charge me nine dollars for a two hours, that's insane. Screw you, Pasadena, right. So I'm already a little bit now on edge. So I'm like, whatever, they'll validate it, get the slip, I park the car. I'm like, where is this place? Where is this yoga place? I'm walking around, I'm like, where the f is this place. I look up at my phone, I look at the address, and I'm like, oh, it's in Colorado.
Speaker 4: I'm on Union.
Speaker 1: I'm like, this is like a couple of blocks over and now it's TikTok TikTok, and I'm going there for the first time. So I've got to like sign a wait, I've got to do the thing, you know, I've got to do the things, got to figure out the lay of the land where it's like a five minute process, maybe.
Speaker 3: Three four minutes whatever, But you're on the clock now.
Speaker 1: But I'm on the freaking clock now, and you know how I am with clocks, very serious. And so I started walking over there, and I'm walking. I'm like, m effort, Like the directions were so stupid to get to this place. They let me the wrong structure. Like probably my fault. I probably went too fast. I wasn't paying up attention. So now the spiral is happening in my head, right, And so then I'm like, look at and so it's an office building and it's one seventy seven or whatever, and it's one of those office buildings that got a bunch.
Speaker 4: Of stuff in it.
Speaker 1: So I'm like, all right, it's in the building, but it's Sunday, so everything's closed down because the office is closed. So where the hell is the yoga place? And then I see this sign and it says the name of the yoga place, and I'm like, cool, yoga place must be there. So I walk over there and it's just like an atrium, like a pit, like an there's nothing there. It's like an outdoor atrium thing with just the sign but no yoga place, and then a parking garage behind it.
Speaker 4: I'm like, where the hell is this place? What the F? And I'm saying out loud, what the f the where the f is this place?
Speaker 1: What the F?
Speaker 4: And I look over and there's a homeless.
Speaker 1: Guy and he's walking along the sidewalk and he's got a dirty blanket that he's towing behind him, like linus, And he looks over at me, guys, and the look on his face was a look of concern. He was worried about he was worried about my muttering, profane ass is. I'm trying to find the yoga place. I get to the yoga place, I call somebody answers, which was just like what that happened?
Speaker 4: That happened? I thought, that was a good sign.
Speaker 1: I'm like, hey, apparently this is and then I start really having my psychotic break. Apparently your place is so well hidden I can't find it. I've been looking for it for like ten minutes, can't find it.
Speaker 4: Where are you?
Speaker 1: And I sound like I sound like Jack Nicholson shining at this point, and she's like, do you see Flemings And I said yes, and she says, okay, go behind it and there's an elevator and the parking garage and hit G and I'm like, oh okay.
Speaker 4: The treasure hunt continues.
Speaker 1: Click, I get down there, and now it's now it's five minutes past the time the class is supposed to start, which is just like, I'm not late to anything. The fact that I'm five minutes late basically just shoot me in the face because that's how I feel about being late to things. And I'm five minutes late and say, yoga class. It's supposed to be in there and supposed to be centered and grounded for crying out loud, and.
Speaker 4: I am not.
Speaker 1: So she's like, oh, okay, what's your name. I'm like, Shannon's like, all right, studio two. I'm like cool. I start walking there, some guy comes out of the woodwork.
Speaker 4: He's like, is it your first time here? I'm like it is. He's like, oh, we got it. You got to get a.
Speaker 1: Rental, Matt you got And I'm like, I'm here for a bar class, like I don't need a math.
Speaker 4: He's like, oh no, we gotta get y'all set up. I was like, you know what, you have a good day, and I just freaking high tailed out of there.
Speaker 1: I just left like a total crazy person. And he's yelling to me as I'm walking up, we could get you signed up for another class, and I was like, nope, I mean I was a complete lunatic.
Speaker 3: That sounds like bad morning.
Speaker 4: I had a great morning, was the thing.
Speaker 1: Remember, I got all that accomplished, and then I just started with my psychotic break like it was.
Speaker 4: It came out of nowhere. It does, And I wasn't gonna tell anybody about this.
Speaker 3: You've made a lot of progress since then. Yeah, if you're dealing with it very well.
Speaker 4: Yeah. No, No, I shouldn't have told you that story.
Speaker 3: We're crazy.
Speaker 4: That should have been a private story.
Speaker 2: No, it was better. You got to let that stuff out. You really can't sit with that that'll eat you pretty bad.
Speaker 3: All right. Up next.
Speaker 2: This story between Harvard and and President Trump. This is not going away anytime. Soon's gonna Who's got the bigger belt or wallet or whatever you want to call it.
Speaker 4: Who are we talking about?
Speaker 3: Harvard, Harvard or Trump?
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, you're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: We talked yesterday about the earthquake and the way the animals reacted. Neutron the cat was making himself heard when someone was calling in to tell us about what they felt. But those elephants down in San Diego were pretty amazing. They put them up on all of our social media, but also on the website if you go to KFI AM six forty dot com.
Speaker 3: They slashed Gary and Shannon immediate.
Speaker 1: Well, they started reacting before the shaking, but the shaking happened.
Speaker 4: They kind of all darted.
Speaker 1: Out to different areas of their enclosure, and then when the shaking stopped, they all joined together butts in in the circle. They call it an alert circle to protect the herd.
Speaker 4: Fascinating. How come we don't do that around here?
Speaker 3: What do you mean?
Speaker 2: It's exactly what you guys did when Deborah came running in, You guys were on either side of her. They were like people were surrounding her.
Speaker 4: She surrounded and protected her. Yeah, she was scared. Yes, the little thing, she is so tiny.
Speaker 1: She is the she is the small one of the litter, I guess you could call it.
Speaker 4: And so we're saying she's a juvenile elephant. Wait a second, that makes us the more the big elephants.
Speaker 1: Amy, that makes us the big elephants.
Speaker 4: That's okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Harvard has been hit with a two point two billion dollar funding freeze because they say they're not going to be going along with demands from the Trump administration, including more government oversight, making sweeping changes to its government governance, to its admissions, to its hiring practices, and they say that all of those directives that have come down from the Trump White House are unlawful and unconstitutional. So the government sent Harvard big old letter on Friday, after the administration previously announced a review of about nine billion dollars in federal funding that goes to Harvard, part of this crackdown on what they've been fighting back against last summer, spring and summer. Of course, we saw these massive protests on college campuses around the country, and many of them had at the very least a tinge of anti semitism, and some of them were outright anti semitic, And the schools were on the hook because they didn't tamp down these protests when they had the opportunity. So Harvard says it's going to continue to combat anti semitism and remains open to a dialogue about what the university has done. Said basically that they are not the same school they were fifteen months ago now at this point, a spokesperson for the White House said, there is no university that is entitled to federal funding that President Trump is working to make higher education great again on and on Harvard or any institution that wishes to violate the Title six is by law not eligible for federal funding. However, this Task Force onto Combat Anti Semitism responded by announcing that they were going to also freeze that two point two billion and multi year grants another sixty million in multi year contract value to Harvard. What I don't quite understand is this isn't This isn't money that directly goes from the federal government to Harvard. Harvard, this goes to a bunch of their studies, a bunch of their programs, a bunch of their research programs, and things like that. Because Harvard itself is a private school, so and it's not as if Harvard doesn't have a gigantic endowment that would probably make the nine billion dollars pale in comparison. Other efforts that target universities have been tied to other administration priorities. They've been talking about ending the DEI programs. They want to prevent transgender athletes from competing on women's teams, and at this point this is one of those ongoing discussions. It's ironic that Harvard is saying that the administration is infringing upon Harvard's First Amendment rights to decide what they're going to do and who they're going to who they're going to try to silence in the event that there are more protests on campus like we saw a year ago. Perfect Day is coming up.
Speaker 1: Every time I think about Harvard, I think that Harvard is the Stansbury of the East.
Speaker 4: And if you know that reference, I apologize.
Speaker 3: Is it a dirty movie?
Speaker 1: No, It's like Harvard's the Stanford of the East. But in Saved by the Bell maybe circa nineteen ninety one they had a Stanford esque university. It was called Stansberry Stansbury. Okay, I can't wait to hear about the Perfect Day. I sneak a peek at it, and I already have a problem with it.
Speaker 3: Of course you do.
Speaker 5: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI Am six forty.
Speaker 2: We mentioned yesterday this new mayor up in San Francisco is getting some kudos for changing the attitude of that city. At ten o'clock, we'll talk more about these couple of articles about this guy and how he has been changing what is supposed to be a crown jewel in terms of internationally respected city.
Speaker 3: Mister Hoffman, this.
Speaker 6: Is Todd French from the IRS. We received your extension request yesterday. However, it was incomplete. You must resubmit it before midnight tonight or else are going to be screwed.
Speaker 2: I think I'm sure that the IRS tells me I'm going to be screwed.
Speaker 7: Oh, I'm Gary, and I can't figure out my taxes.
Speaker 4: Got a lot of heat for that.
Speaker 3: I didn't get a lot of that.
Speaker 1: I feel like that's a pretty rational thing that you had happened to you, like your meltdown over tax is much more rational than my meltdown over the yoga. If we're going to go through episodes psychotic breaks, yours is much more rational. I think a lot of people have a a heightening of the blood pressure when they're doing anything with regard to taxes.
Speaker 2: I don't understand people who get upset at the time change. I know it's annoying or whatever, or outdated. That's fine, I could care less. But people who don't get upset about taxes. Even if you pay somebody to do your tax for you, so it's not really top of mind for you, you should spend some more time thinking about it.
Speaker 3: It's a ridiculous. It's a ridiculous exercise that we go through every year.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: It's also ridiculous is when people tell us it's you couldn't care less.
Speaker 2: Also, I couldn't care less That people tell me that I say that wrong.
Speaker 1: I do it all the time, But I just want to save us from that one time care less or I couldn't I could not care less. I believe this is correct. I'm supposed to say. Did I say I could care less?
Speaker 3: You did?
Speaker 4: Ah?
Speaker 3: So weird.
Speaker 1: It's okay, but I'm just saving us from what you know is going to happen, because every time we say that it's the most.
Speaker 4: Minuscule thing, all right, it's so apropos because we could not care less.
Speaker 2: A new study published by researchers at the University of British Columbia analyzed information from the American Time Use Survey.
Speaker 3: Interesting that it came from British.
Speaker 2: Columbia, but the American Time Use Study recorded how thousands of people spend their time across more than one hundred activities.
Speaker 3: They looked at these patterns and they asked the.
Speaker 2: These people during this day, was your day better than typical?
Speaker 3: And they were.
Speaker 2: They were able to pinpoint the building blocks of a good day. So their conclusion, best day ever. And I mean this is streamlined right down to the nuggets. Six hours with your family, two hours with friends, an hour and a half of random socializing.
Speaker 3: Jesus, such a general chit chat beyond me right out.
Speaker 1: There's so many people with my perfect day, Like they're six hours of family time.
Speaker 2: Two hours hell, two hours of exercise, two hours, one hour of my Michael drinkings.
Speaker 3: You're pooh on my perfect day.
Speaker 4: Well, it's awful.
Speaker 2: Two hours of exercise, one hour of eating and drinking, and less than six hours of work. One hour of screen time only and about a fifteen minutes When you do, I get into.
Speaker 4: Bed and live air for twelve hours at least.
Speaker 3: Well, I think if you add all of those six.
Speaker 1: Hours with family and then another six drinking those away, six hours of family, and then two hours with friends and then another.
Speaker 2: Hour of you get about seven hours a week that is sick or sorry, seven hours a day nine.
Speaker 4: And a half hours with other people. That's too much, right, that's too much. That's too much people time. Well for you, yes, but this is the average of And then I have and then I have to I spent nine and a half hours with people, and then I have to go be Michael Phelps and.
Speaker 1: Exercise for two hours. Oh and ps, you only get to do an hour of eating. So now I'm in anorexic Michael Phelps that wants nothing more than people FaceTime.
Speaker 4: This sounds like the worst day ever.
Speaker 3: Just imagine how happy you'd be.
Speaker 1: Just one hour of screen time, good lord, less than a fifteen minute commute.
Speaker 4: Where do you live, honigh country.
Speaker 2: That's the part that I don't understand us you're working at home, but even then you you got to make it fifteen minutes.
Speaker 7: Hey, g Shannon, Shannon, I totally get you.
Speaker 4: That sound like my life.
Speaker 7: Every day you wake up early, do the copelands, you go to gym, have a great workout either sweated, burn a thousand calories for the strong yep, and then one thing happens, another thing happens, then one thing athletes more than needs to be before you're in your eighth Canada of course lights Oh well, another day.
Speaker 2: Bye bye, that's eighty.
Speaker 8: While Shannon was telling her meltdown story, I think you guys should have all circled around her like the elephants. She was getting ready to lose her flipping mind. Yes, relax, girl, I know it'll be okay.
Speaker 2: I know earthquake will stop and the elephants will go back to their normal routines.
Speaker 1: When I was at the yoga class, I finally found my way to at another place. Because there's nine hundred yoga classes at one time anywhere in Pasadena is the other.
Speaker 3: That's the other thing.
Speaker 1: It's not like it's not like it was the only yoga class for the whole week. Ever, anyway, at the end of the class, the teacher came around when we're you know, in chivasna, you know how it goes, no but go on, and.
Speaker 4: She takes my shoulders and this is after yoga.
Speaker 9: She takes my shoulders and prusses them down and just holds them down like chill the f out is basically what she did to my body, like you to relax.
Speaker 2: She yeld you against your willity yoga class, you did chill out.
Speaker 8: Oh I'm Shannon.
Speaker 3: I can't find a yoga pulace. So true.
Speaker 2: All right, San Francisco, A whole new vibe. Vibeshift is real, they said, I love it. Gary and Shannon will continue right after this. You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio ap