Speaker 1: The music line to more head coach, with us we get to the cornerbacks. I watched a lot of that today when you was that drill when you were throwing passes inside the twenty, trying to score one on one stuff with the corners trying to cover just.
Speaker 2: A red zone one on one, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Where you're going receiver versus defensive backs in the red rill for a cornerback, Yeah, I think one on one is a tough drill because there's no pass rush, so the quarterback can just stand back there. The receivers got the entire work with he's got no help from a safety linebacker, so it's a really challenging drill.
Speaker 2: Do you think that?
Speaker 4: And watching that today, I felt like the cornerbacks need a little help from officials. You got to be able to put your hands on guys to keep kick control of them.
Speaker 2: I think that's fair.
Speaker 4: But is that in college football and no no.
Speaker 2: And pro football?
Speaker 3: It is that you can't touch him after five yards and college football they're pretty lenient, you know, as long as not the ball's not in the air and you're not grabbing and holding a jersey and restricting their ability to get up the field. They're going to let you be a little bit more physical. Makes it a little bit difficult in games like the Wake Forest game last year, you know where you know, all of a sudden the flag comes out or doesn't come out in a situation where you thought it could so but no, you're a little you can be a little bit more physical. We bring officials to several of our practices. Then I asked the officials when they're there to be very very picky and the you know, if you would even think about calling it, throw the flag so we can coach off of it. So we know what the parameters are and how far we can take things and are what things are being emphasized. We haven't had a lot of pass interference calls, I don't believe, or holding calls, you know, but you're going to get them when you play aggressive defense.
Speaker 4: Right, So tell us about some of the corners, because you've got some experienced guys back, which I like because they've seen a lot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Cam Chadwick's back and I think he's really good player. Where he's where's number thirteen? He started a lot last year. He's a Jersey kid. He's got an ankle sprain, right, now, but hopefully he'll be back next weekend. We brought in a kid named Devin Pringle, who I think is going to be a really good player. He wears number two. He'll be our left corner. We talked about a Cyrus Gilbert, who's a who's a young player. He's a he's actually a freshman. He's from Atlanta, but his mom is the track coach at Georgia women's track coach. He's actually gonna be the track coach at the next Olympic, the twenty twenty eight Olympic team. So he's got you know, he's got some competitive jeans.
Speaker 2: We've got give me some other names there and I'll tell you.
Speaker 4: If Welllyron Oh Parland he's a. He's a linebacker. Malachai MacLean, he's not a. He's a safety. We're testing his knowledge now, Okay.
Speaker 2: That's my other question.
Speaker 4: You played a lot of five dbs.
Speaker 3: We played. We play all five d Okay, say three, So Mike is the three. He goes what three down line plus three linebackers? Okay, so that means there's five what defensive back?
Speaker 2: There you go?
Speaker 5: Baby, but every there five which you call safeties three Okay, so we play with two corners and three safeties, and we have a teasing you obviously we teased, but well, we call a guy the dog, so like Malachi is the dog, all right, So it's kind of a hybrid linebacker safety.
Speaker 3: You know, we have a boundary corner I'm sorry, boundary safety who's more your true safety. You have a field safety who's kind of maybe more of a nickel corner safety combination guy.
Speaker 2: We have a lot of variability in.
Speaker 4: Our in our but all of them have to be good cover guys.
Speaker 3: Right, I think that's probably you know, if you're out on the edge, you've got to be able to cover inside. You've got to be able to you got to be able to decipher what's happening, react, You've got to be a good tackler.
Speaker 2: And yeah it's a d dB. You have to be able to recover.
Speaker 4: So turnovers, we talked about the during one of the breaks last year. You were kind of I think negative in that category. You didn't turn the other team over that much. You played some good d especially on third down, But turnovers, in your mind, how important critically get them?
Speaker 3: It's a well, turnover ratio is the most critical variable. In determining wins and losses, and somehow last year, even though we were negative, we found ways.
Speaker 2: To win games. But you can't live in that world very long.
Speaker 3: So we have to take care of the football better, and we have to do a better job of taking the football away. Part of being a good defensive takeaway team is you have to throw the ball and you can make plays on the ball. You get sacks and cause fumbles, scoop and score on the quarterback emphasizing it in practice, you know, punching to the ball, ripping it out, and we do a lot of that every single day.
Speaker 2: We're working on that. And then you've got to get on a run.
Speaker 3: You know, you got to get on a run where they turnovers kind of there's the fights on turnovers come on bunches.
Speaker 4: Yeah, some were constantly working on all right, so you'll be better on first and second down.
Speaker 2: That'll open up more opportunities on third and long. Geving people over. Yeah, we were on the top teams in the country last year on third and long. Yeahregul appreciate it. We could do this for hours.
Speaker 4: The crowd has been great.
Speaker 6: Thank you for joining us at the Talking Music Lins. Time flies when you're having fun with coach Mora.
Speaker 2: I'm Mike Chrispino.
Speaker 6: I want to see you Saturday, a week from Central Connecticut. Walking in the building around one thirty ish, maybe one, and ready to roll when we play the Blue Devils.
Speaker 2: Thanks for coming in.