Speaker 1: Hey, welcome back to win the ball. Here Fox Sports fourteen fifty M. Steve Rivera. You're Dave Silver. Now we have Ryan. You're up with breaking news.
Speaker 2: This is High on the Ball breaking news on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 3: Former Arizona Wildcat and former d Bax pitcher Mark Millansen is set to join the San Diego State coaching staff as the pitching development coordinator.
Speaker 1: Okay cool. He was with with the Diamondbacks late recently.
Speaker 3: He signed He signed a two year deal in twenty two, I believe, yeah, and then he was sidelined in twenty three with the shoulder injury, so he didn't pitch in last season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's got to be thirty something, thirty nine, thirty nine, Well, already got old old. We are getting old. Yeah, yeah, when those guys started getting old, you know, we're getting old. He pitched here, uh four to six, Yeah, yeah, I remember he was very good. He was very good. Obviously.
Speaker 4: No, you don't get to the major leagues by being lucky. And of course he's going to a powerhouse Sand Digo State.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Are they still good in baseball? I don't know. I think so, Dave, and you got money to give us, Dave. Do you have people calling you to Dave? You remember back in the day, can you give us some money for the ni L deal?
Speaker 4: Well, I mean I got all I gotta do is say Trevor Hoffman, Tony Gwyn. How many more Hall of famers can we have?
Speaker 1: There's been a few, David call him by nil. Remember those great days at San Diego.
Speaker 4: Who's their coach? Wait, Sean Cole, don't know?
Speaker 5: Don't know?
Speaker 3: Uh, Arizona defensive back trading and Stukes is going to be out for the year with their injury.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he got hurt a couple of weeks ago. Yeah, I know he's out. Uh, probably sit it out and come back or probably I don't know. If he'd go at the next level, he might be good enough. What year is he senior? Okay, let's see four. I think Yeah, he's eligible to red shirt and they returned for a sext year. Yeah him, Remember those days they came back over eight years.
Speaker 4: Usually had to go to like, you know, four schools for that to happen. Now, did COVID youars still haven't used that.
Speaker 1: I hate to be the guy get off my lawn, dude, but you were been out did you. Would you ever imagine what we're seeing today, kids making millions, like millions millions. Yeah, I don't know, wh I know where you kind of live here inside my area too, but you know, having the kids living next door to you with nicer houses and nicer cars, it's crazy.
Speaker 4: I just remember, you know what did Luke Walton drive when he was the Catford.
Speaker 1: The Cat, the Judge, the old the big, big topless convertible, big car.
Speaker 4: And he's the one that came from money.
Speaker 1: Yeah whatever. I think the world of Luke is he wrote the forge from my book, Just that family, and I've told him a thousand times that Bill and Susan, his mom did fantastic with the kids because they were not full of themselves, you know what I'm saying. They were just dudes.
Speaker 4: I got a chance to meet her, and you probably met her, right.
Speaker 1: But I did. She was fantastic. When he played here, we talked a lot.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I remember. I think it was in San Jose. I want to say maybe when its in the regionals. Yes, and they lost, I believe, but I remember she She was at some pre pregame events and I never really knew her, but she was hilarious. A great person.
Speaker 1: You have to you have to be if you're married to him, married to him and have what four boys? Yeah, for at least four, Chris, you have three or four?
Speaker 4: Yeah, some San Diego state, you know things there as well with that family too, sure, sure.
Speaker 1: They're based in San Diego. No, great, great family. And then the rest is rest in peace, mister Bodley. Yeah. In fact, I was trying to I was trying to get some guests for today. It's not easy. I was going through the rolodexsident think, oh, there's bills a number, what's like, can't you call that one? Cause of uh? And we had him on if we had you never was on when he was alrighty, so he'd come on. We have fifteen minutes, right, Three questions, yep, three questions, that's all I remember.
Speaker 4: In the old days he would be on like the Dan Patrick Show, same thing, Hello Bill, Hello Dan, and he would just go go and he just would not stop.
Speaker 1: And you couldn't there was no segue. You couldn't jump in because he didn't stop.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: A personality, yeah, sure, Well.
Speaker 3: I remember one show that I was here, we played a clip or something and it was it was just like one question, right, Like fifteen minutes of.
Speaker 1: Right just goes out and we're looking at each other.
Speaker 6: What do we do?
Speaker 1: Just let him talk.
Speaker 3: The Tigers beat the Guardians last night three nothing, and then Royals beat the Yankees forty two.
Speaker 1: Everyone's that one ye on one.
Speaker 3: That's the first time since uh well since it was implemented in eighty one as a one off and then came back in ninety five.
Speaker 1: What would be the the uh the ratings, if I try to find a better word, Kansas City played San Diego or Detroit played San Diego the World Series because you're hoping for Dodger Yankies, right of course, which would be mega.
Speaker 4: And the ratings have been good because the Yankees and the and the Dodgers and the Mets or still in the I mean, these teams are still kind of the marquet the Phillies. So as long as you know, as long as uh one or two of those teams are in, it'll be good, I think as far as numbers go. But they still get killed by football no matter what happens, and they bury the games, and so it's kind of sad like on a weekend, you know, they're when is those games. Oh, they're on like a ten in the morning, and you know, they're just not They're not on prime time.
Speaker 3: And Mets the Phillies are currently going on right now. It's four nothing Mets in the bottom of the seventh.
Speaker 1: Weren't they horrible to begin you follow it? They were not horrible.
Speaker 3: They had a pretty I wouldn't say bad first half, but they were under five hundred. Yeah, and they had a better second half and then just kind of.
Speaker 1: How did they get better because the coach they was ready to fire the coach. I think they had some they had some injuries, and then they got them Betting came back. I think, yeah, I just remember that being horrible.
Speaker 3: Had had he started to do it better and okay, of course that was like a big contract, you know, years ago.
Speaker 1: It's funny.
Speaker 4: I made my first visit to City Field this this last May with my buddies and we saw the Phillies. Phillies beat them, and everyone hated the Mets at that point. They were not good. This is in May and there was just no momentum and it was kind of like they're mostly Phillies fans there and it was a it was a day game like on a Tuesday or something like that. But great stadium, great just atmosphere, a lot of history. I mean even even the Mets. The Mets have kind of adopted the Dodgers a little bit, so when you go in there, there's a lot of Brooklyn Dodger and when you look at the stadium, it kind of looks like Abbot's Field it was designed from the outside, but really fun.
Speaker 1: I remember going to Manhattan a few times covering the basketball team. They wore a Mets at. They looked at me like, what the hell you doing? We're in that, like the did you know where you're at? Yeah, you're supposed to be wearing Yankees at. I didn't know any better.
Speaker 4: I'd like to orange and blue, yeah, I mean they've got yeah, the orange and blue is the Dodgers and the Giants colors. That's how they got their their colors.
Speaker 3: Patriots planning to start their rookie quarterback this weekening it's Texans as they continue tos it me.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, he's the North Carolina c I think they're doing horrible issue. They have like twelve points a game. Yeah, they won the first game, the first game.
Speaker 3: They lost the last four. Yeah, I think they should have They should have won this last game they played. They play, they play at least close. Yeah, I mean the go ahead or what would have been the go ahead touchdown in the back of the end zone.
Speaker 1: He caught it.
Speaker 3: He had one foot and then he had a toe in the in the end zone and then his foot came down out of the end zone. They said he was incomplete.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, yeah, the AFC East, I mean, the Jets fired their coach today, Patriots are looking for a quarterback. The Dolphins lose their quarterback, Buffalo loses the other day to anybody win, and that's usually been a pretty good conference.
Speaker 1: Well, go ahead, and I'm sure you're going to talk about the Jets, right, Yeah, that was the next one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but they fired Robert after a two and three start, right, and Jeff Oldbridge will be the interim coach.
Speaker 1: He's a defensive coordinator, I think. Yeah, yeah, a defense coordinator. Well, you know Brett Fire, now, Brett Fire, Aaron Rodgers, whoever it comes comes in and says, I don't want to do this anymore. And you know everyone has in New York and you you've been there. You you just recently was there? I still one of my favorite places. Sorry for anybody who's in New York, but it's you know, it's it's the everybody. I'm from New York. I know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 1: And and they had the Jets again high hopes. Right. Last year was one play. This year it's a few plays and it's still bad. They're still bad.
Speaker 4: He did not look good. Where was that game in London? Over the week Minnesota? He was kind of struggling.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I mean, obviously he's coming off into a pretty rough injury. And it's he's thirty nine, so you know, it doesn't heel like he did when he was a kid.
Speaker 1: No do we all? I mean, do you you get out of bed and saying what the how do I feel?
Speaker 5: How that happened?
Speaker 1: Where's the restroom? But how do you say? His last name? Sala? Sala? Yeah? He has he has the worst record in Jets as a coach at three nineteen. Okay, they've had some bad on come on, they haven't done anything since sixty nine. Pretty much, Joe am thing coming through those walls for those the rocker room, what's that praise? I don't know. Somebody, somebody's committed. It's like the Patina says, you know, this isn't coming.
Speaker 4: Not through the locker.
Speaker 1: Oh he's not.
Speaker 4: He's not coming in that door.
Speaker 5: That door.
Speaker 1: You don't want to pass that door anyway. I got another story about the the Nike deal.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, Juju Wadkins here it is uh usc Juju Watkins reach a deal with Nike. I think it's saying, like one of the richest contracts. She originally signed with Nike back in high school as a senior back in October of twenty twenty two.
Speaker 1: Have you seen her play? Yep, she's fantastic.
Speaker 4: That Stanford was the Stanford game last year where she scored like fifty, So.
Speaker 1: She's fantastic and it's just a smooth, fantastic Yeah.
Speaker 4: That's gonna be one of the sad things about not having the Pac twelve right with them coming in and you know, the Stanford matchups were always good and then she kind of like elevates the USC the last last year. I guess, right, so we're gonna lose that. I don't know what Big twelve Women's Hoops is leg Honestly, I think it's competitive.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be competitive, just like the men's it's just in a close group of I think they picked in the seventh in the league.
Speaker 3: Saints quarterback Derek Carr suffered an oblique injury on Monday night.
Speaker 1: Against the Chiefs. Does it say when he'll be buying out indefinitely? Out in definitely, which means a while. That's bad? Yeah, he was. It was the fourth right last night. He says, it's just hurting how to come out, and and here I am. Yeah. I looked at the score one time. It was like sixteen to seven. It was close. It was close for a while. Yeah, and Kansas City still doesn't look like Kansas City. But they're winning. It's all that matters.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: You see a thing about Caitlyn Clark playing golf. No, he's gonna be playing an Aka Sorenstams tournament in Florida.
Speaker 1: Can't you play?
Speaker 4: Evidently? Speaking of women's basketball, you know, she hasn't been in the news very much last week or so, so she's going to be out there doing something right. But she's playing in something called the.
Speaker 1: What's it called? Do you play?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 1: Were you called?
Speaker 4: Just the anika?
Speaker 1: Okay, a little wildcat so you know, I played stootball long million years ago, thirty years ago, probably just yeah, having fun. So were you pretty athlete? I'm asking you for who cares? Now, I'm just kidding. I was way I used to describe myself was. I was pretty mediocre at a lot of things. I tried everything.
Speaker 4: I played baseball, basketball, never played football except like in junior high golf, tennis. I have not played pickleball other than just, you know, a really quick game here and there.
Speaker 1: So mediocre would be you're a four out of ten?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I was.
Speaker 5: You know, I was good.
Speaker 4: I could, I could hold my own with my friends and stuff like that. But I never really played, never ever put on a football uniform in my life. I wouldn't know how to even do it. But I played hoops and I still, up until just a few years ago, played here in town with my friends, a bunch old guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The reason I ask is I was a halfway decent player. But I picked my poisons, you know, baseball and ran track and stuff like that. I hate golf. I go with my friends and I dragged the cart, you know, maybe, but I hit the ball so horribly that I just don't even want to embarrass myself. Yeah, so I don't even play and you think, Okay, you know you're a former athlete, blah blah blah. No not exactly. That's so I don't even do it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean there, and that's you know, at least people kind of in our jobs at that time, there were a few that were you could tell. I mean, even my buddy Dan Ryan Channel four was a really good baseball player.
Speaker 1: I think he played collegiate and he played and he was pretty good atasketball.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I got to give it to him. But the rest of us, I'm trying to think Brad Stinkey, who I worked with, a great golfer, basketball player. Yeah, still I know golfs. But yeah, most of us, you know, we we didn't have time. I honestly did not have a lot of time as I got to be an adult and had a profession.
Speaker 1: And that's what it is, especially with golf. You need time. Yeah, you need time either you're kind of retired where you can find a way to write your story and get the hell out of dodge and write and have some money to do it as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I admire the people that are good. That's kind of the fun thing of what we did or what you're doing still is just to watch these guys perform and realized I was never going to be there at that home much a.
Speaker 3: Minute I got Okay, So MLB to produce is going to produce local games for the Guardians, Brewers, and Twins next season, kind of getting away from Diamond Sports Group. They're trying to get to a point where they're getting rid of like blackouts and stuff.
Speaker 1: For didn't some go bankrupt. I think someone lost they lost some rights to them because they don't have any money. Yeah, yeah, So they're gonna those three teams are going to join the Rockies, the d Backs, and the Padres under that umbrella, right right. It's funny because we had Todd wash On right here, yes, and he's I don't know what he's doing now because it's all seasonal. You know, you make all that money for a few months and then you what am I going to do? Unless unless they pay really really well they.
Speaker 4: Can Yeah, I mean the Diamondbacks again now that I'm just really a consumer. Fortunately, I can see the Diamondback games and Tucson, but the Suns, I don't know what is going on there? Yeah, yeah, with what with their broadcast. They were basically used to be on oh yeah, Fox Sports Arizona or someplace in Tucson as well where you could watch it. But that thing changed too with that whole Diamond Sports. Yeah, didn't the little coming say you'll never have to pay to watch the guys again? If something that, Yeah, if you're living in Maricopa County, yeah those ann Yeah, I'm not buying an antenna. This is nineteen seventy.
Speaker 1: Point your finger that way, dad, get that off the roof, put that slitch the liquor on your hand and point that way and then you'll get a clear shot. We did that, not with the ma liquor, but tin stuff. You know, you put the tipfoil on the car. Yeah, I get done it. You're you're you're only like in your early thirty No, but I've I've messed with them, dude. Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I was gonna say, I'm sure day was I know I have. I used to have my own antenna. Oh yeah, of course, Yeah you're still donting. I didn't want to pay a hundred bush. Yes, I wish I could do that now. Yeah, I'll go buy a you know a and just watch the local local channels. I'll give you one. And I'm not sure Dave did this because you know, she's just dead liked him. But I was my dad's remote control. You know what I'm talking about. Get up and change the channel. You know, well that then there's only three channels, and so right big box TV? All right? Well yeah, plus, don't forget the record the record player. It came with the combination record player TV and and and uh in beverage con beverage place.
Speaker 3: You can put your wines and stuff, right, I think so myn uncle had got Yeah, oh the good.
Speaker 1: Old the liquor cabinet, yeahor caet liokors, the combination cabinet, TV and ricord player.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Break, yes, we gotta go.
Speaker 2: To break now your chance to win one thousand dollars just entered this nationwide keyword on our website. Grand, that's Grand. Enter it right now. Fox Sports fourteen fifty dot com.
Speaker 8: Are you ready ready to discover your soul, your wild side, your passion, your joy and excite From the latest slots and table games to award winning dining, to world class entertainment to a luxurious.
Speaker 1: Resource discover all this and more.
Speaker 8: Discover with Soul Casino Dell Soul, the Soul of Tucson.
Speaker 1: Are you ready enterprise so Fasco Yuki try?
Speaker 9: The Window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchener bathroom of your dreams. Browseyisles of instock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations and instantly elevate your space Today. Visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for money to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect wood, type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your look. Find a location near you at the Window Deepot dot com. The Window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 1: Steve Rivera here to talk about doratle Rocky Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials? I heard one of his on the radio. Doronto Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Give them a call at five two zero four zero zero four two three three.
Speaker 5: Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 10: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 11: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the leading edge and exercise equipment on twenty seconds just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 1: School and the fall spots season are in full stride.
Speaker 12: Time to get that special student athlete a creative award for his or her efforts they are deserving. It's also time to rejuvenate your fall apparel with a Chris looking embroidered school corporate logo.
Speaker 1: On caps, shorts or long sleeve follows.
Speaker 12: And why not get some fresh look looking promotional products representing your school or corporation or just giveaways for the upcoming twenty twenty five season for over one thousand fun items to choose froom, come visit Creative Awards at Creative awardsaz dot com or see our Idea Center at two twenty eight Westrackman Street.
Speaker 13: At Nova home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation.
Speaker 1: Visit Voltpe team dot com.
Speaker 13: That's Volpe Team dot com or called five two oh six eight five six two six Today in MLS three oh eight seven, arizon A b K nine two nine four two Equal Housing Opportunity, Got to commitment to Lilydrixon Credit Greates and Avaiable loan programs or Subjet to change the nunt notice.
Speaker 1: Did you know?
Speaker 12: Collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking at chart or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination. As one of the leading card shops in the country.
Speaker 5: We've been serving our community for over twenty.
Speaker 12: Five years with the best in sports cards and trading card games, from rare fines to the latest releases.
Speaker 1: Showtime Cards has it all.
Speaker 12: Check them out at Showtimecards dot Com or visit them on East Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere they showtime cards for their passion.
Speaker 10: On a road trip or just around town. Driving a car you can afford is more important than effort. At Pyramid Federal Credit Union, our one rate auto loan is for everyone. One rate offers a single competitive rate no matter your credit score. You can borrow better with peeramid.
Speaker 1: For details or to.
Speaker 10: Apply online, visit Pyramid FCU dot com slash one rate. Pyramid Federal Credit Union is an equal opportunity lender federally insured by NCUA.
Speaker 14: Got bugs, termites, fees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist that's can't run or high from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona pest Control Get rid of your bad b termites, bees or rodents. Serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azpess dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 1: Selling your home want to get more money for it? Will Danny Roth can help you? He told me about is You Flip the Home you Own program. The program allows for a homeowner to fix up their home to sell without using any of their own money. They will be able to sell the home for a much higher price. Danny Roth with Armny Holmes International is the real estate consultant in Tucson that offers this program. He has consistently been the top agent in Tucson for the last thirty years and has sold over ten thousand, five hundred homes. For more information on this program or just buying our selling a home of Danny Roth at five to two zero four nine zero four thousand.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera, He's got his eye on the ball on Tucson's sports station, Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 1: Hey, welcome back to our ball Errol Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera and Today's day Silver. Now on the phone, we have in the finally, how are you doing the money? I'm good, brother, I'm good David today, Yeah, David, look me to day.
Speaker 5: All right, Hey, hey Dan, you're taking this thing to the next level.
Speaker 4: Man, this is great. Yeah, great to be back. I haven't haven't been behind the microphone in a long time.
Speaker 1: Before the yeah, before you, before you crack wise here, mister, I heard you on David Kelly yesterday, and I'm thinking he's never sound that great with me. What's up with that?
Speaker 5: Oh Jesus, Oh, well he pays me.
Speaker 1: I pay you. That's a difference.
Speaker 5: No one's paying me.
Speaker 1: Thank you for joining us. An talk to you tomorrow.
Speaker 5: I'm so so.
Speaker 1: Let me let me ask you. You watch the game. You probably go to the game on Saturday. You're an alum, and I want you to talk to me as an alum, nothing else. And you watch what you watch? How do you come away with that?
Speaker 15: Well, I'm frustrated, you know, as if I'm a I'm a player at that point in time, you know, I feel the frustration in regards to what has just taken place, and it and it and it hurts, you know, and it hurts just as if I'm playing a game with the kids at that point in that moment, you know, I see things that happens out on the field that I think shouldn't be happening.
Speaker 5: And a lot has to do with the actual execution of the playoffs. Playing the game again me as being the player that I was.
Speaker 15: Instantly, I'm going right to those guys and say, we got to correct this, we got to fix this. And you know what you're supposed to do. You know what your assignments are. Let's get your assignments put together, and and and you know, let's let's let's do better the next week.
Speaker 4: Can you tell even now, as you know all these years removed, can can you watch a play and say, oh, man, that that someone messed up?
Speaker 1: Is that?
Speaker 4: Is it easy enough for you to.
Speaker 15: Oh yeah, I see it as far you know. The thing is I see it more offensively? Did I see it defensively?
Speaker 5: Really? You know, I can see you know, offensively, particular the wide receivers.
Speaker 15: You know, the wide receiver because I mean, they're in more space, so it's easy to tell when a wide receiver is messing up, and even their their body matterisms.
Speaker 5: You can see that, you know, a certain player.
Speaker 15: Okay, I'm gonna just move down the field because I ain't gonna get the ball.
Speaker 5: Why should I put out this energy?
Speaker 15: I mean, you see those things happen, and and I and I and I notice it more with that particular position than any other position.
Speaker 5: Now on the deepense end of the of things.
Speaker 15: I can tell of a player on the front, I mean, if if he's supposed to be in a certain gap and he's out of position gap wise, naturally, if they're rushing up the field, particularly the edge guys, you can you can instantly tell when the edge guys lose the edge, they always say, you know, basically because the fact sometimes they can lose the edge just on the linement alone. You know, in some cases they'll get up the field and and and and take too much ground up the field and lose the edge that way, you know.
Speaker 5: So I mean those little you know, things does come place.
Speaker 16: And and you know, I sit with my one of my younger brothers, him and I we always sit together, and and we we we we had this same badgery and going back and forth as far as things that we see take place, and he should have done that, and he should have done.
Speaker 5: This, and back and forth. So that that also makes it more interesting throughout the game too.
Speaker 1: So you guys got kind of elbow each other and say, what's this happened there? Because I'm sure he yeah, yeah, exactly. I mean, you know, it's not what has happened there? Why did that happen?
Speaker 15: Because the fact, the fact is that every kid that's out on that field, they know what their assignments are going into the game.
Speaker 5: Okay, they know what they're supposed to be doing. I mean, you start, you know, with your game plan.
Speaker 15: I'm assuming it's still the same way they started their game plan on Monday, or in some cases they probably started on on on Sunday. They started their game plan and knowing exactly what takes place as far as learning your opponent, learning the tendency that your opponents are about to do against you, so all those things, and then you implement your game, playing offensive, defensively, the things that you're supposed to be doing. So if you just do a little silly nuance here and there, I mean, that can mess the whole playoff. They can mess the whole thing out, you know.
Speaker 5: And you know, just a wide.
Speaker 15: Receiver again, decide, you know, to cut his route short or he goes into a pattern with a wide receiver and tight end comes to the pattern together.
Speaker 5: I mean that right there. It just bugs me when I see and I mean, I'm gonna call the names out because of these two guys. I always see them.
Speaker 15: And I don't know if you guys notice it, but t Mac and the tight ends they always two yards a lot of times not always, they always like find themselves in the same zone together.
Speaker 5: And so when you do that, you basically bringing all of.
Speaker 15: The defender defending one defender defend you guys, And I don't know if it's t.
Speaker 5: Mac or if it's a tight end.
Speaker 1: Wow, yeah, there was.
Speaker 4: There were periods in the game where there was some sounds like there was some confusion, at least according to what coach was saying afterwards. Had you everard a coach say that, No, No, that was kind of surprised, Lamont.
Speaker 1: What about you? Have you ever seen a coach say that.
Speaker 5: What I'm sorry say what say.
Speaker 1: Exactly what you said? We have guys running in weird directions.
Speaker 15: Oh yeah, I mean that's again because you don't know what route is called at that point in time, you know, and and so you you might hear.
Speaker 5: A particular play offensively. That's called in and.
Speaker 15: You think I'm running this route where you should be running something completely different. We all of a sudden you got two guys basically in the same area, and that takes place in because the fact that someone didn't do the assignment correctly, and like I say, it's I mean, it's part of the player, you know, not executing properly and doing what he's supposed to do. And it's part of coaching too, and you know, making sure that they they they they in the right position when the call is played, their players called.
Speaker 4: You've got Dwayne Kena. Did you play for coach a Keina?
Speaker 1: This was he here?
Speaker 5: No, man, I'm old, I'm old bro. Yes, hey Dave. But I can tell you this the thing that I enjoy about Dwayne a Keina okay.
Speaker 15: And and I played for a coach in the semblance of Dwayne a Quina Okay, my coach.
Speaker 5: He wasn't as out as much as.
Speaker 15: Dwayne doing the actual game. I mean meaning you know, out on the field and being enjoyed it and then and the kids you know facing like that like look like on the field that we see with Dwayne and Kena. But the coach I played with was was coach Tom Roganman. And when I say the likeness of those two, their likeness be this. Both of those guys played the game with us as players. They they they actually had their emotion on their sleeves when we're when they calling in the play and they're sitting there and they watching this play take place. He's going through the actual motion that his players are going through out on that football field. And you can see that in that in Coach Aquina. And like I said, I had that same type of coach in Tom Rogman, you know so, and you can see the personality in Duaynea Quina and you can see that personality in his actual players.
Speaker 5: They basically plays that same type of way of what coach Quina is.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 15: So what you get in the room is the classroom is what you might get out on the field sometimes, you know.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you know I think the world of you. You know, I'm not trying to butter you off. I'm telling you the truth because I know you're going to spend some more money here in a few months.
Speaker 5: But but butther him up.
Speaker 1: But let me let me just butter it up. But let me let me ask you, and you can be as honest as you want to be with me. You just talked about Aquina and how fiery he is. H it's very obviously the kids love playing for him because they play their ass off. Okay, now we have Brennan. I don't know Brendan from anybody. I didn't cover football back then or very much now. He's not that fiery guy. He's the encourager. He's that Dick Tomy, Uh, things are going to be okay type of coach. It's hard to see a correlation between guys playing hard and and and and wanting to play hard for him.
Speaker 15: Well, but the players are not really playing directly for coach Brennan. The players out there playing directly for their position coach. Okay, they're playing directly for their position coach. The position coach is the ones who spend more time with those kids weekend and week out. And coach Brennan is doing exactly what he's supposed to be doing. He's managing the game and managing the coaches and the players through the game. Okay, he's doing exactly what he's supposed to do. Now, inside that locker room may be a different Brendan that none of us and none of us need to know because to me, that's that right there is a good sign of leadership and a and a and a and a good head coach. Now, honestly, I see a lot of characteristics in Brennan. You guys say, coach told me, I see Larry Smith. I mean, I see so much in in Brennan. Look like coach Smith was. Coach Smith was a true head.
Speaker 5: Coach CEO way before the time people would would put CEO on the coach. He was that type of coach.
Speaker 15: Okay, and Coach Smith he'll manage the game when he needed to manage the game, the things that goes out officiating or calls and things like that, special teams, he'll manage that portra of the game. But his position coach did he and they interact with the players. And I see the same thing with this coaching staff. And as I say, depending on the type of coach you see, that personality have a way of coming into the body of the players that that person is coaching.
Speaker 5: And Dwayne O. Kenna is showing that.
Speaker 15: You know, I can't remer, what's what's the running back coach? Not the running back coach. The offensive line coach, I don't know so well, but I tell you, if you watch this coach coach, you can see the personality of that offensive line floating the same way that he coaches, which is uh, which which is I know what my assignments are.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna do my assignments.
Speaker 15: I'm gonna hit somebody, I'm gonna turn around, get back into the huddle.
Speaker 5: Okay. I think the offensive line at this point in time is probably the most effective group right now on our offense. Yeah.
Speaker 15: I mean, if you if you they're not giving up sacks. The sacks that was giving up is because of Monu himself. It was not because of the offensive line. I think the offensive line is they're very technical, they're very sound.
Speaker 5: They don't do it. I mean, then might have a stupid pennity here and there, which.
Speaker 15: They need to clean up, but it is the same personality of their offensive line goes well.
Speaker 1: They are giving him a lot of time to throw, I mean more time than last year.
Speaker 5: And that's mm hmm.
Speaker 4: Josh, Yes, yes, yes, it absolutely rights.
Speaker 5: That's it.
Speaker 1: That's what it is.
Speaker 5: And and if you sit out there.
Speaker 15: And you watch Josh coach these kids, and he coaches them, and he's I'm talking with practice wise.
Speaker 5: He coaches him and.
Speaker 15: He I never heard this man yell at these kids. But he gets his port across. He don't say come here, and he give his words to those kids in their ear. Nobody else needs to know. And he's such a technician when it comes to feet work offensively, you know where you're supposed to be, you know, just little sold little subtle movements like this that he teaches that again, all his tastes a little second. If you all here or there, something bad can happen with that offensive line.
Speaker 1: So when we have one about a minute, let me ask you this other question. So you know, today's kids, they're not the kids that you were when you were a kid thirty forty years ago? Are they? Are they coachable? Now you have the ni L they're making money?
Speaker 16: Uh?
Speaker 1: I don't know if kids today listen to people anyway.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: But but can they be the rogalman? Can they be the the those guys where they'll get on you and be okay with it? You know what?
Speaker 5: I think?
Speaker 15: I think a lot of that has to do with the personality of the coach, and that coach he got to read his his room, and he got to walk in and read his room. Okay, And if and and again, you know, if, if, if that's your stand at the beginning of the un first minute, and you can put that out there, I mean, this is who I am, and you make that choice to be in my room. This is the way you're gonna be coached. This is why we're gonna do it my way.
Speaker 5: Okay. And if you stay that.
Speaker 15: Way, it's gonna continue. It's gonna go that way through the whole year. But if you if you just give one bit, then you're gonna be in trouble. You're gonna be in trouble because there's gonna be like you said, there's gonna be some kids out there who will try to test it and see, you know, I don't need to do this because I'm getting paid this nil.
Speaker 5: Okay, if you getting paid this, NL, I don't need you in the field dead. Don't even give them the feel for me.
Speaker 15: The right coach got to take the right stands when it comes to those type of attitudes, you know, and you know there is some field coaches out there who can do that, because you know, good coaches the first thing they gonna say, is that I got an eighteen to a twenty one year old basically dictating if I get a paycheck, you know, you know, so they got to get a paycheck or not. I got the I got the right to treat you this way and coach you this way.
Speaker 4: How difficult do you think it is for the kids to have all these new coaches too as well? I mean it's it's a big turn over there on the coaching sideline too. And what's that like as a player like kind of wondering, what does this coach expect?
Speaker 5: Well, that's again, it's the reverse side.
Speaker 16: Now.
Speaker 15: Now the new coach come in. The kids gotta basically learn that coach, learn that what that coach.
Speaker 5: Is all about.
Speaker 15: And well, at this point in time and this day and time, any kid and any parent of a kid in any university, you gotta have to understanding that the.
Speaker 5: Door is going to be flipping back and forth all the time. It's going to be that way.
Speaker 15: I mean, it's it's what we are in society now is what's taking place. But the fact is, if you love the game of football, the game of football is still there.
Speaker 5: It's here.
Speaker 15: I came here of this university, play football and get an education or education first. Still, but if a coach go, come and go bring me the other one. The game of football is still here. It's still here for me. And you know, if we make the game of football so difficult, it's still just the man to get the ball, get tackled, Go tackle the guy.
Speaker 5: That get the ball.
Speaker 1: Well, Dad, don't yell at me. Thanks for joining us.
Speaker 15: Thanks man, Hey, Dave again, I'm glad you there.
Speaker 5: Man, you elevated it. You probably get more call than you ever got.
Speaker 1: Hey, we can't hear you. You're in a tunnel or something. Hey, thanks man, I'm trying trying. Thank you, Thank you.
Speaker 17: Man.
Speaker 1: All right, I have a day, Dave. I you sure your t your shoulders are tired. You gotta take a break. You will carry me, said, We'll take a break. If you're an Arizona Man's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now take a look back at the Ludelsen era in my new book, Lessons from lut It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches, and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them competed against them and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from lut is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. What one email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com, y hi.
Speaker 18: This is formal while get Leman Hondly with Arizona Health, imagine how home GM can change your health, your comfort, and your time. Arizona Health is everything you need to transform your personal.
Speaker 5: Space and your life.
Speaker 18: We off a complete line of cardio machines, multi gms and freeway equipment. I'll certify fitness experts and technicians will set you up with the right.
Speaker 5: Equipment and training to get you started to keep you going.
Speaker 18: Visit our shareroom today at twenty second in Wilmot Arizona Health the lean to edge.
Speaker 5: And exercise equipment.
Speaker 17: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from in financial daid available, it's time to earn the degree or certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at PEMA dot edus slash someday, Hey.
Speaker 1: Tucson, Steven vera heir and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmund Marcus All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to say call them today and score big on your insurance. With the Edmund Marcus All State Agency, You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen Nord Campbell or call them at five two zero three two three nine three three three.
Speaker 19: Ladies, have you ever dreamed of playing the main event at the World Poker Tour. The Royal Rebels is a ladies only poker league and we are looking for new players to join us this fall. We have a new poker season starting October third, We will be playing seven games online and the winner will represent us in Vegas at the World Poker Tour. This main event seat is worth ten four hundred dollars. For more information and to register, go to www dot Royalrebelspoker dot com.
Speaker 2: This is I on the Ball on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I want to take part in the show call up Steve now went five to two oh four one seventy four forty.
Speaker 1: Hey, welcome back to I Am the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve, You're Jed, You're Jay, Jay, You're Jay? You did Jay? You know it looks like him and we got Ryan. Hey, if anybody wants to call, please do. If you were the coach, what would be your solution for this craziness? Anybody want to call please do? I want to hear your thoughts. If you're the coach, what would you do? Dave? What would you do me?
Speaker 5: I'm the coach.
Speaker 1: I'm going to give you that anyway.
Speaker 4: Well, you mean like it's in terms of like fix this going back to study hall thing.
Speaker 1: Man, Look, I want you.
Speaker 4: You've heard those kind of excuses like you know, oh, he's not really getting the playbook too. Well, I mean, is that kind of what's happening?
Speaker 1: You think, I'm just not parently that's the problem. I talked to the guys yesterday here in this house with with my guests, and to me, this team is missing something, missing something, and and my my observation, which is totally probably off base, is they're just not getting the coaching, the feedback from the coach. They're should not playing hard enough. And if it's true that what Lamon says about the assistant coaches are the people that are in charge, and which I'm sure it is, and he's the CEO, they're not getting it from the assistant coaches, then yeah, you know, to play their ass off, right.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean that's again, they're new coaches. Maybe some of these new players just aren't ready and haven't you know, bought into the whole system just yet. There's been so much turnover and they've got maybe some other teammates who are next to them who are new. So I mean it's it's you have to kind of give them a little bit of a chance here.
Speaker 1: I think, Yeah, no, I don't disagree with that, but let's kind of reviews the dissect. So they they came in, the new coaches and all that you saw the you sall the New Mexico game, right right, would be they paid blow enough to win. They ran away with it eventually, but not what you thought, right well, no, but I mean they were supposed to win that game. Okay, it wasn't.
Speaker 4: It wasn't a thing of beauty.
Speaker 1: Okay, not a thing of beauty. Okay, that's the title. We two not a thing of beauty. No, okay two not Yeah, that was definitely rough. Third game, definitely not a thing of beauty. So now you got three things not a thing of beauty. And then and then you play out of your mind and and and beat Utah. But guess what you have? Three not out of you? Three out of four? Right, three out of four? So what are you supposed to believe? And there's something missing? They're just you don't. You don't do that three in a row, or you just don't.
Speaker 4: I mean, I could probably look back at my text messages that were going on with your second half with my children, even like I think I may have said something to the effect of this is really not that much fun to watch. Defense was maybe in the third quarter and they were you know, kicking field goals and playing.
Speaker 1: From Saturday Saturday this past week. Yeah, well there's that, and imagine playing it and we know what's the number one fixed for all this win? Win? Right? Play well win. Everyone's happy last year they were able to do that for whatever reason, and then they want and everything. It covers up blemishes, it covers up pimples, it covers up everything, and that's what you do.
Speaker 5: You win.
Speaker 1: But when you don't win, or you struggle to win, you start kind of saying, maybe we're not the team that we thought we are, or there's questions, and then you get questions from the media, and then you get questions from your friends, and then you see it on social and then you start to fester. And I'm not saying anything that I hadn't seen before.
Speaker 4: I you know, again, I agree with that, and maybe I'm just being more trying to be more patient. I know, it's only what four games in, so there's still time. There's still big games, and you know who, we don't really know what to expect. That's the beauty of especially of college football, where you have a week to think about it. It's only Tuesday right now. We're worried about it and talking about it.
Speaker 5: But you're right.
Speaker 4: I think we just need to kind of, you know, just let it, let it play out and see what happens next.
Speaker 1: Right, Well, you know what, it's a mistake for the second time. The habit third times was what the hell's going on? You gotta call?
Speaker 15: Hey?
Speaker 1: Thanks for calling. You're on the air and eye on the wall.
Speaker 20: I see you this don How you doing Ton?
Speaker 1: Fine? You haven't heard from you in a while. I was wondering what the all happened?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean.
Speaker 1: The hangover finally wore off the good the good one or the bad one? O the bad one.
Speaker 20: I mean you look, you you outgain, you outgain a team by almost one hundred yards. You run what twenty four more plays and you lose. It doesn't make any sense. But I think if if we're talking about Brandon as a CEO style coach, then what's what's today? Tuesday? His interview is with the employees should already been done. I don't know if you. I don't know if he's doing that, because we know he meets with middle management every day. He meets with the coaching staff every day. But now, I think one thing that I would do is talk to the players and all of them, all the whole starting twenty two to thirty whatever it did, all the important ones, all of them, and try to find out what what are they thinking? What what are they not getting? And maybe is that they're not getting the feedback from the assistant coaches that maybe Brendan thinks that they need to be getting, or you know, are they not getting the teaching of the plays, that they're in the wrong places, whatever the case may be. You know, because the answers are going to be all over the place. You know, maybe some maybe some of these guys are stressed out with the coaching change and they're confused, and you know, you know, they get out there and they're reacting like they were reacting a year.
Speaker 1: Ago, but now this year.
Speaker 20: That would be the wrong thing to do.
Speaker 1: Who knows. Right here, we gotta go, and I think we've got another call done, Go ahead, good, Okay, what do you think? What do you think?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 20: I just think that'd be the thing to do is try to get get everybody's headspace in the same place.
Speaker 1: Right, No, I agree, team meeting, team meeting and all that. Get this stuff out of the way.
Speaker 20: Yeah, I agree totally, and individual meetings as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I agree, good good, good point done. Appreciate thanks for calling. I was always yeah, yeah, you got another call, get another call. Hello, you're on the air and I on the ball.
Speaker 5: Oh did he leave?
Speaker 1: You're on the air and I on the ball.
Speaker 5: Steve you there?
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm here. How are you?
Speaker 5: Who's this? You there?
Speaker 1: Are you there?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: You're there, I'm here. Who's this? Dave?
Speaker 7: Dave ja Jabbins. Hey, I was listening to your piece with Lamont and I had a comment on Lamont. He was clearly an amazing football player, but our senior year, Lamont was our team captain, and he was the captain. Beyond being a great player, he was a great teammate. He cared about everybody. It didn't matter where you were at and the roster, where you were at on the depth chart, Lamont loved you if you played football for the Arizona Wildcats.
Speaker 4: He was a good guy. What a compeination with with him and Ricky together those couple of years.
Speaker 1: What we were talking about this before you called? What year you're talking at eighty five ish?
Speaker 7: You know our senior year was eighty four. If Lamont's still listening. I feel bad to tell him that was forty years ago this fall.
Speaker 4: Are you guys going to do anything any kind of do you guys get together as a reunion?
Speaker 7: You know what that there's guys that that, that Steakhose, you know from those teams, and you look at Lamont. Lamont was Sandwich too. Lamont was an amazing player. But he played with Ricky and he played with Byron Evans. He played, I mean with with with some great linebackers. Their shoulder to shoulder with him, right, there.
Speaker 5: Was some good ones.
Speaker 4: Was it Danny Lockett? Was he in that group in that in that period?
Speaker 7: Or was he little l he was? He was younger than us, he was. But you know, so before that though, before you know, as Ricky was making his way, Dave, you might remember, uh, John Pace like John Pace was a really really good linebacker, like a devastating hitter.
Speaker 4: Wow, No I got I got here Ricky's senior year.
Speaker 1: So that was that.
Speaker 7: That would have been eighty three, yep. And and Lamont touched on it. You know, they were playing for coach Rogi and the players take on the personality is I believe what reinforcing? What Lamont said the players take on the personality of their coach, and so that that era of linebackers at Arizona played with the personality.
Speaker 1: Of coach Roganman. Well, this offense needs some personality, it does, you know.
Speaker 7: So like like for myself as a receiver, I played for Mark Lunsford, and LUNs was he was. He demanded you to be technically sound, and he was highly highly competitive at practice, in meetings away from football, and and and I love playing for coach LUNs We banged heads, but it was I always knew that he loved me, and I always played as hard as I could for him because I loved him back.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, I think when you when you have that respect and you know it goes both ways, that's when you play hard. And that's what I think it's missing. I could be totally wrong, but I think that's what's missing.
Speaker 7: Well, Steve and Dave, you know teams sports, Teams take on the personality of their leader, and the same goes for businesses. The same goes for family. You look at families, you look at kids you grew up with, if they had a tough dad, if they had a hard nosed dad, those kids will probably tough, hard nosed kids.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're right.
Speaker 4: It's the same way in football for sure.
Speaker 7: Teams, businesses, families all follow.
Speaker 1: That same model. Right, you're right, you're right. Hey, Jay, don't be a stranger. Give us a call when you can. Love hearing from you.
Speaker 7: Thank you, guys, all right, yes, thank you guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he called to say hi. You gotta say hi, Jay. Come on, we've got another call. We got another call. Hello, you're on the air and eye on the ball.
Speaker 6: Hey, Dave, it's John, id Ony John.
Speaker 1: What's the word?
Speaker 5: So to me?
Speaker 6: You know, it's it's a lack of discipline on some level. But you know, Noah's missed a lot of bad decisions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 6: You know, I saw Patterson open a lot. I've seen title tight end streaking in the middle open some and I feel like he's missing the second and third reads potentially. You know, I understand, Belan, it's hard not to always have that as a safety dolf. But the difference between the two offenses to me was we were gashing teams by staying ahead of the change last year, and so McLoughlin got got touches and got touches. He was and Coleman's just Coleman's really really good. Watch a little Washington. He's just good.
Speaker 5: But our running backs.
Speaker 6: Haven't been terrible. But we haven't we haven't thrown the running backs. But I just feel like, you know, we haven't thrown enough to other other valves other than seen and and m and uh and tea Matt. So to me, that's what's been missing from the offenses is you know, it's just spreading the ball around a little bit and finding the checkdowns at times.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've got to go just thirty seconds.
Speaker 5: Give me.
Speaker 1: You must be frustrated.
Speaker 6: No, man, I didn't have any expectations. I didn't know I was gonna happen on the coaching staff.
Speaker 1: Okay, frustrating about.
Speaker 6: It's say, we're just a mediocre program right now, and we had a chance to be excellent. And to me, we've taken a step back as far as the discipline, the structure, and the level of where I see the program going in the next five years.
Speaker 1: Thanks John, We got to go. Appreciate your call. Thank you, Hey, great calls today. Thank you Dave forgetting Thank you Ryan for pulling this off. We'll see you guys tomorrow.