Speaker 1: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from kf I AM six forty.
Speaker 2: Ladies and gentlemen, Here's Wayne Resnick KFIM six forty Live Everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Wayne Resnick here filling in for Bill Handle, who's on vacation. He is back on Monday. Ann is here, the producer of the show. Good morning morning. I don't you really you have a thing about what's the what? How do I describe this? You were wearing your Padres gear in the building. Yeah, even though it's a Dodgers building. Now I know you stopped wearing the Padres gear.
Speaker 3: It's a Dodger's office, not building.
Speaker 2: Will I don't know. You walk around and now you've stopped wearing the Padres gear because they're out. And now I see you're wearing a hoodie from let's just say, a company that I heeart would rather not.
Speaker 4: Deal with.
Speaker 5: Really, I think so, ah, well, you know what, they gave me a free sweatshirt and my heart didn't.
Speaker 2: Well, this is actually an excellent point, you know. I don't want to brag, and Neil can back me up on this. That it used to be. It used to be there was wag a plenty, and we were lousy.
Speaker 4: With swag at one point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, actually there was a there was a do they still have that locker space downstairs in the parking garage.
Speaker 4: And you know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but okay, it used to be full though, just wall to ceiling with swag. I don't know what's down there now. Maybe a couple of rats and an old Stephanie Miller mug.
Speaker 4: But in both.
Speaker 6: Never mind, in both circumstances, Uh, the.
Speaker 4: Rats have KFI logos on them though. Oh that's good.
Speaker 2: There there there were mugs and T shirts and hoodies and bumper stickers and I mean there was tons, tons and tons and tons of swag just laying around, just like the attitude was like, we have so much of this stuff, just we're just throwing it everywhere. Just please grab some of it.
Speaker 4: I'm taking it home.
Speaker 6: You remember Wednesday's Wayne, we'd have swag fights and we'd just throw swag at each other.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: I tried to be nice about it and stick to T shirts and hoodies and you were throwing mugs.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and pen's.
Speaker 6: Progressive, Well, you wanted to win the You know, It's funny when I was the marketing director. If you remember, I had like these shelves behind my desk that were filled with swag. People could come in and grab shirts if they needed them or yes, just tons of it. Now now I think you sign it out like a garage bathroom key, and then you can use the mug for a little bit and then you got to bring it back.
Speaker 2: Yes, we're all. We're all sharing one Gary and Shannon mug and one Tim Conway junior pen ballpoint pen.
Speaker 6: All the jump belts wag has a cross out through Ken's name.
Speaker 4: We just we have a.
Speaker 2: All right, anyway, good morning to you. Uh that was Neil and anyway, and listen, I totally get it. I totally get it. If you can, if you can get clothing for free, that's nice clothing. You're gonna wear it regardless of loyalties, right, And it doesn't. It does not. It's not reflective of your loyalties. No, it's reflective who gave you free clothing? Exactly, Thank you.
Speaker 4: I agree.
Speaker 2: Amy King is here, Amo King, Oh, giving us the news.
Speaker 3: Good morning.
Speaker 2: I love it when there's breaking news and you are here.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: One of the things that we're watching today is some kind of a press conference slash rally in front of the Criminal Courts Building in downtown LA on behalf of the Menendez brothers, and I believe KFI News Michael Monks is going to be there covering it. And I bring this up because unfortunately, because we're on so early, I doubt it's happening while we're on the air, so we won't really have we will not have the pleasure of scooping it for you. But I'm sure, yeah, yeah, yeah, when you know, when it happens, KFI News will be all over whatever whatever it is, and we'll talk about that in a little bit, including here on Handle on the News, Kno good morning running the board. I must say, the faces of people when there are momentary glitches in the networking is priceless. It is, it is. It's massive panic time. And the thing about it is this, there's nothing that can be done. It used to be, and Neil, you've been around long enough to know this. In radio, it used to be you had a microphone and you had a cable and then it just went directly into an antenna and broadcast to the war world and that was it. And if there were any problems, you only had three things to look at, a microphone, a cable, and the antenna. But now you have, like our show, everybody is in a different studio room, and you've got all the kinds of other audio elements that are played, and you've got tons and tons of cabling that goes everywhere and around and through to connect everybody back and forth. And this is not just in radio. Everything has become so technologically complex that it has eclipsed our ability to understand it or to troubleshoot it. The technology itself is craftier than our ability to understand everything about how it works. And this is why we are forever rebooting things, because it's we throw up our hands and and go, He'll reboot it, And meanwhile.
Speaker 6: They're gremlin You remember the Jeff Levy Show. Sure Peter Guy back in the day, Yes, rest his soul. That used to be his answer to just about every question. Try a dry reboot, yes, because that's all we have.
Speaker 2: And I've wondered if the tech you know they talk about AI is going to become so smart and then it could maybe even turn against us, which I don't know, but I feel already there are certain things going on with our tech, not AI. I'm talking about our regular like internet computers, your Wi Fi routers, all these things, and there are little gremlins in there, and they are sentient and they like to mess things up, and then they love it when we go, oh, we better reboot. And once in a while they go, you know what, he's rebooted five times. Let's stop it for a while. Let's cut it out for a while and let him think that rebooting thing five times worked. And they go have a smoke, you know, and then they come back later and they start up their shenanigans again. And I do think, if we want to make this seriousness for a second, I do think we're at the point now where we are capable. We're absolutely capable of creating technology that we don't fully understand, and they can get ahead of us. And I want to sound like a luttite. It's not like I'm going to be like a ludite and come in there and smash, you know, the consoles or anything. But I think it's time to start thinking about that.
Speaker 6: A small little four hundred square foot cabin somewhere up in the mountain, start whittling, yeah, thinking about how the world.
Speaker 2: You never have to. When was the last time you had to reboot your whitlet knife.
Speaker 4: I'd be an excellent point.
Speaker 2: You never have to reboot an actual book. You're never reading a book and then you're like, I can't turn the page on this book. Oh, reboot, it doesn't happen. The Biden administration has told Israel it better start allowing a lot more humanitarian aid into Gaza or we will stop giving them weapons. Now, part of that may be a philosophical belief on the part of the Biden administration that this is the right thing to do. But another reason this is happening is because, guess what. The laws of the United States prohibit us giving military aid to countries that block the delivery of US humanitarian assistance. So if we are sending stuff to Gaza and Israel's not letting it through, we're technically not allowed to be giving them weapons. So Secretary of State Blincoln Defense Secretary Austin sent this, I assume strongly worded letter to their counterparts over in Israel. And this comes right after Netan Yahoo was talking about, Oh, here's what we're going to do. We're going to tell anybody to get out of Gaza. And then we're gonna conclude anybody who's still there is Hamas, and then we're not gonna let any aid through. And that's probably why we're doing this now, because Yaho's talking about a very extreme move, even within the context of all the other stuff that both sides have been doing, very extreme. And I think that's when the United States said no, no, no, no, no, we better slow his role big time. You got to give him a reason. No more weapons from the US. Pretty good reason, he said over and over.
Speaker 4: Though he's gonna do whatever he wants to do, regardless he has.
Speaker 2: But if he if suddenly he's deprived of assistance that he requires, he will have to change his tune. You know, these kinds of leaders always talk tough, They always talk tough, but there's still ways to get to them, to vake them, to cut it out.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 5: People have been voting like crazy. A record number of early votes have been cast in Georgia. Residents are heading to the polls for the battleground state voting. More than three hundred and twenty eight thousand ballots were cast yesterday, which was the first day that they couldn't cast ballots early ahead of the election. The first day. Previous record was one hundred and thirty six thousand.
Speaker 2: That's more than double. Yeah. Wow, I guess everybody knew it was more than You didn't need to need me to tell you it was more than double. Show you have to show I'm smart and math because I got a D minus in college algebra, which is unimpressive. So now every time I know any math, I like to show it. This has been a trend all across the country that on the first day of early voting, it's different in every state. On that first day, they are seeing record numbers across the country. So some group of people is fired up more so than usual. Because votes are private, I guess we cannot conclude what type of voter is the most fired up, but I suspect it's all the same side. I believe that. I don't think it's equal one side and the other side equally fired up to get out and vote at their earliest possible day.
Speaker 4: We shall see.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, when the ultimate results come in, we'll probably be able to look backwards and see what was going on now.
Speaker 6: Davon Durrell Deed thirty nine. He worked at the Santa Monica College. He was accused of a shooting on Monday and at around ten pm there at the Santa Monica College Center for Media and Design. According to the Santa Monica Police Department, Well, he was involved in a standoff with law enforcement and he died of a self inflicted gunshot wound during the standoff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they found his car. Yeah, the shooting was Monday night. They found his car yesterday afternoon. There was a little pursuit, a standoff, and then he was found deceased in the car.
Speaker 6: The sucky part, I mean, it's all sucky, but you look back to twenty eleven, Durell was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder. In twenty nineteen, he was arrested for allegedly a lleged assault with a deadly weapon, but his only convictions were for misdemeanor property crimes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we have a thing in this country where arrests don't really count in terms of taking action against anybody. I mean, except that they can prosecute you for the crime you were arrested for, but in terms of any other things, you can't really use an arrest history against the person. So the idea that they could have for example, forbidden him from having guns or something like that. You can't unless he had been convicted of something. But obviously now we know he was a problem person long before this event.
Speaker 4: Oh well, I'm glad we figured that out.
Speaker 2: I know, a little too late, a little too late. Oh So, remember the guy who was arrested after allegedly making threats against FEMA employees while armed with a handgun and having a couple of other guns in his vehicle. He is now speaking out, and this is his side of the story. He says he didn't threaten anybody, although he did post on Facebook that you know, I hear that people aren't getting the help they need. We're done playing games. It's time to show who we are and what we believe. They want to screw our citizens. Now we return the favor. We the people are seeking volunteers to join us and overtake the FEMA site in Lake Lure. So but he says he really wasn't threatening anybody. He really thought FEMA was refusing to help people, and then he went over there and he saw that that was not the case. And then he spent the day volunteering and helping. And yes, he happened to have a gun on his hip, but that's his Second Amendment right, and hey, I'm a reasonable person and I'm not dangerous. He's still charged with what they call going armed to the terror of the public. That law must have been written one hundred and fifty years ago. I guess today we would say having a gun and scaring of people, scaring a lot of people.
Speaker 3: I like the old way of saying it better going.
Speaker 2: Armed to the terror of the public. So that's his side of the story as of now. See what happens with these charges.
Speaker 5: The unexpected side effect of a hurricane. We're running out of iv bags. So the storm Hurricane Helene severely affected operations at Baxter International's North Cove production site. What does Baxter Internationals do well. They're the largest manufacturer of IVY fluids and dialysis solutions in the country.
Speaker 3: So they had to pause production.
Speaker 5: Then they started up again, but they have a lot of restrictions and since last week they've got their capacity back up to about sixty percent of typical volume. But because of that shortage, the FDA is saying that they've.
Speaker 3: Got shortages all over the country.
Speaker 5: Hospitals have been rationalized rationing supplies and people are even having to postpone surgeries in some cases.
Speaker 2: And now the Biden administration has invoked the Defense Production Act to help Baxter get what they need to remediate the damage to their facilities as quickly as possible. But it'll be a while before the supplies are back up to full capacity. What are all the influencers in Vegas going to do right now?
Speaker 5: If they can't get their be twelve, they can't get there, they can't get their morning after where the guy in the van comes and hooks you up to the IV to help you with your hangover.
Speaker 3: Do you think it's those.
Speaker 2: Well, it's all the same I mean a lot of it's the same stuff. It's saline and stuff like that. Whether you are a legitimate medical patient or you're just some dude who had too many espresso martinis in Vegas, it's the same thing goes in your arm.
Speaker 5: What is interesting to me about this is it it's sort of like the baby formula crisis that we had a few years ago, Like, why do we only have one or two manufactures of this stuff in the whole country?
Speaker 4: Why do we put them in Hurricane Row?
Speaker 5: Well that wasn't It was in North Carolina. It wasn't They didn't expect to get hit by that. It was four hundred miles inland. These are still good questions, yeah, both of them.
Speaker 6: So the Pentagon announced Tuesday that more than eight hundred military personnel have seen their service records upgraded to honorable discharges after previously being kicked out of the military under its former don't ask, don't tell policy. So latest development over the decades, undo that pass discrimination against the LGBTQ service members, which is horrific people serving their country and getting booted.
Speaker 2: And remember back in June, President Biden said, I'm going to issue a bunch of pardons to anybody who got in trouble just for just for having a gay interaction, if you will, with another service person. So now the only thing that's that's illegal or actionable is if it's not consensual, which obviously it never never should unconsensual sexual activity be considered cool.
Speaker 4: But for a.
Speaker 6: While nineteen fifty one unwing the Uniform Code of Military Justice or oh yeah, they were five criminalized consensual gay sex.
Speaker 2: Yes, they did not want any of that in the military at all. And then Clinton, which I mean, you know, I understand he was trying to move us forward. But I don't think that this was a good plan. We won't ask you if you're gay, You don't tell us if you're gay, and which sounds good until you realize the flip side of it is if in any way you tell us that you're gay, by telling us or through your behavior, then you're still in big trouble. So a lot of people still got dinged badly, even though Clinton thought he was trying to help. Now we're at the that now it's where it should be, which is it's the same exact rule. If you're straight, if you're gay, if you're by, if you're whatever, consensual activity is not you're not going to get court martialed. And and if you assault somebody, it doesn't matter. You're gonna be in trouble. That's how it should be. Oh, here we go. This is what we've been talking about. Today there will be a news conference slash rally, slash celebrity appearance in front of the Criminal Courts Building in downtown LA. This all has to do with the Menendez brother's case. And we get to today's news conference rally because earlier this month, Da George gascon not for much longer said his office is gonna review this new evidence that has been brought forward on behalf of the Menendez brothers and make a decision about whether they will seek a resentencing hearing in front of a judge for the two gentlemen. And I'm not sure there's confusion about who's gonna be there today at this event, whether Gascone is going to be there, whether they're going to announce that Gascone has in fact decided to move forward, or whether this is just going to be a public pitch on behalf of the effort. But I knew that, you know, their lawyers are going to be there, and their aunt's going to be there, and and then Michelle clued me in this morning that Rosie O'Donnell is going to be there. Why to speak out on their behalf? I assume you know the thing about the Menendez brother's case. First of all, nobody denies that they did it. They don't deny it, their lawyers don't deny it. Nobody denies that they killed their parents with a shotgun. But this is an interesting case to me because if you were around when it was originally going on, they had a trial and at that first trial, they introduced evidence that they had been sexually abused by the father, and the jury hung it was they did not convict them. Then they had a second trial, and for whatever reason, the judge in the second trial said, you are not allowed to introduce any evidence or tell the jury that they say or were sexually abused by their father, and they were convicted. The first trial gave jurors something to think about and way, and the second trial was like, here they are and they shotgun to their parents, and what do you think of that? Well, if that's all you're told, what you think of it is that they're despicable monsters. So now there's been new evidence a letter that one of the Menina's brothers wrote way back when, not now, not something he wrote now where you could say, oh, you're trying to make stuff up now, where he said his father was still abusing him up until just like eight months before the murders. And there also is information from a former member of Minudo that says their father, who was involved in the music industry, molested him when he was I forget if it's fourteen or fifteen, but something like that. And so the question becomes or what do we do now, and more specifically, do we want to vacate the first degree murder and maybe make it second degree murder, in which case they don't have to have life in prison without parole. They could get who knows, thirty five years, forty years, Maybe they could get a sentence where they actually come out of prison. We don't know what Gascone has decided yet, and we may not know after this event today because it's just so unclear what his role is the DA. He's the one who has to make the decision to seek a resentencing.
Speaker 4: So first what kind of abuse was and do we know?
Speaker 6: And then second, what power does Gascone have in this case? Is it only to look at it again? He couldn't free them or anything, could he?
Speaker 2: No, but he could he can make a hearing happen in front of a judge to have them re sentenced. He can do that. What kind of abuse? The worst kind of molestation type abuse that you, unfortunately can imagine.
Speaker 6: The aunt, I guess, the sister of Kitty who was killed the Mosuyes. She apparently has been on their side the whole time, and yes, and aunt boys tried to get Kitty to leave.
Speaker 4: The father. Yes, fascinating and I.
Speaker 2: Would take from that. My own supposition is that that she the aunt may have been well aware of what was going on and knew what the what the men and his brothers were being subjected to. So we'll just see Wednesday, and Michael Monks from KFI News is going to be there, so you know as soon as what as soon as we know what it really is about, you will know about it from listening to kfive because KFI News department is second to none. I'm Wayne Resnick sitting in until nine here with Amy King and Niel Savedra, finishing up handle on the news chaos and bedlam. Apparently, after Trump's rally, Amy Oh.
Speaker 5: The Humanity, Trump supporters were left stranded for hours at the Kochella Valley rally. Actually after the rally, so apparently they had to park like five miles away. They were bussed into the Calhoun Ranch, but then when the rally was over around seven o'clock, a lot of attendees were left stranded. It was still very hot, over ninety degrees. They said that there used to be like twenty buses when they were being brought in, but now there's only three buses operating. They kind of got stuck, and apparently it had to do with overtime that the buses weren't allowed to operate past a certain amount of hours. But they got stuck and they were left there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a lot of finger pointing. Some people are saying it's because the Trump campaign didn't pay the bus company. Some are saying it has something to do with overtime regulations. I don't know if we'll ever find out the real truth, but man, that must have sucked. And there were a lot of elderly people there just standing around in the hot desert, and at some point the bathroom facilities became unavailable and there was no water, and I think some people had to walk six miles.
Speaker 4: Thanks Obama, always.
Speaker 2: Always a valid response, I guess.
Speaker 6: So talking about the Mendenda's case, moving from a maniacal sex crazed music executive, let's try something different, diddies in the news. So uh, lawyers for Sean Diddy Combs asked a New York judge Tuesday, man, this story is rank to force prosecutors to disclose the names of his accusers in his sex trafficking case. So get this, The lawyers for Seawan Comb's wrote a letter to the Manhattan Federal Court judge and says that the hip hop music maker needs to know the identities the identities of his alleged victims so he can prepare adequately for the trial.
Speaker 2: Yes, here's the thing that's correct. It's a question of when do they need to know what if any of these people are going to be witnesses?
Speaker 4: What written? Doesn't it sound like, what are the names?
Speaker 2: It's I mean? And also because they're not talking about publicly just closing the names, they're talking about receiving the names in discovery with I'm assuming a protective order on that information. At some point they're going to have to have an opportunity to look into the anybody who is especially if they're going to testify. They they are allowed to get that information at some point.
Speaker 6: Of course, and they're home and they're driving practices and when they go to the grocery store.
Speaker 2: I know it feels it feels icky. It definitely does. But on the other hand, we've got like we've got all these like constitutional rights and things in this country.
Speaker 3: We are constitutional rights.
Speaker 4: Yeah, take them away now, you can do it. You can take them away now.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what, I guess that could be a motivation for some people to vote for Donald Trump, because maybe if he gets elected, he will take away some of them and then the the government will not have to disclose the victims.
Speaker 4: Thanks Obama.
Speaker 2: LOTHUNSA, Germany's biggest airline, has been fined four million dollars, which is a record, according to the Department of Transportation, for discriminating against some Jewish passengers. Here is what happened. There was an incident back in May of twenty twenty two. There were about one hundred and twenty eight Jewish passengers on this flight, and some of them apparent. Now you may say, well, how do they know how many Jewish people were on the flight. We're talking about people who were dressed up in the traditional Orthodox Jewish garb okay, and some of them, some of them, allegedly were disregarding the safety announcements, disregarding keeping the aisles clear, obstructing the flight attendants, and inconveniencing other passengers and arguing with the crew about wearing masks. Remember May twenty twenty two, you were still supposed to be wearing a mask. So when that plane got from New York to Frankfurt, which was a middle stop on its way to Budapest. They the airline said none of you were getting back on, and these passengers said, hey, even if some people dressed like us were causing trouble, we all didn't you just discriminated against all the Jews on the flight. And I guess Luthonsis said, well, maybe we did, maybe we didn't. But here's four million dollars, not to them, to the it's a fine to the Department of Transportation. The rowdy Jews if they were are not getting any money from this.
Speaker 3: What what's the point of that.
Speaker 2: Well, this is the Transportation Department cracking down and enforcing anti discrimination rules against the airline. Give the money, Well they will.
Speaker 4: Have to sue.
Speaker 2: They can sue Luthonsa and see how they fare with that in court.
Speaker 4: Can't they just say, come on pay us?
Speaker 2: Oh that was funny, Yes, pay us the traditional curly side burns that many Orthodox Jews wear. That was very very nice, very inside word play. Can we can you, Amy, Yes, I ask you, because I know you're a Dodger fan. Can we go a little bit late so that we can just quickly talk about this baseball. Yes, that is up for auction, of course, show hey O Tani's fiftieth home run ball of the season where he set a never before record of fifty home runs and fifty stolen bases in a regular season. It is up for option, and the bidding is now at did I say option auction? The bidding is now at one point seven million dollars and they think it could go much higher. If it gets to three point zero five million dollars, it will be the most valuable baseball in history, which is currently Mark McGuire's seventieth home run ball from nineteen ninety nine. And here's the thing. There's a big legal dispute about whose baseball it is and who owns it, and yet everyone has agreed they will allow it to be auctioned off and then when their spat about who really owned the ball is resolved, that's the person who will get their share of the proceeds from the auction. They want the money in escrow now, and then they'll worry about who actually gets it. So there's another week for you to bid. Neil, all right, you're on three different talk shows on KFI, so I assume you are rolling in do and can easily drop a couple of mill on this baseball. Amy, you'd loveable as baseball, wouldn't you?
Speaker 3: Oh? Sure, I could, and I could bid fifty dollars on it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a little out of my league as well. All right, that is handled on the news, And when we come back, so many reasons housing is out of control in California, we'll go through some of them see if we can make any sense of it at all. This is KFI AM six forty Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show. Catch my show Monday through Friday, six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.