Speaker 1: Welcome to the River Rambler, a production of Swing the Fly magazine and sponsored by Jaymon Bamboo Rods. Welcome to the River Rambler, production of Swing of the Fly magazine. Our guest today is Nate Devolved from Hood River. Nate, thanks for taking time to visit.
Speaker 2: Thank you. This is this would be super fun. It was. It was great meeting up with you for the first time on the shoots this fall and we had a riot. Yeah, you know, after kind of circling each other in the fishing community for a long time. It was great and I really enjoyed our conversations, you know, early in the morning and late in the evening, and so this seems like a great way to sort of extend that and maybe give their folks a little insight into how we seem to connect. I guess a little bit.
Speaker 1: Well, it's it's funny. I my first connection with you, I think was in the bag my Shamburg reel came in. And then the second one was a wistful message from you when you saw a picture of Stella Rob Perkins drift boat thinking it was mine, and I was very apologetic wishing it was mine and I could invite you to float along. I'm always in heaven when I'm getting to ride in Stella. Yeah, so tell me about You're not a Hood River native.
Speaker 2: Correct, No, I've been in Hood River for twenty four years. I moved here in early two thousand, just after or concurrent with finishing up college at Montana State University.
Speaker 1: So he came from Montana. You grew up in Montana.
Speaker 2: I didn't grow up Montana. I grew up in western Michigan. So the way I described my trajectory is I'm hovering about three hours north or three hours south of the forty fifth parallel, but moving in Exora Blae westward.
Speaker 1: You haven't got that much more room.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I'm not. There isn't much further I can go.
Speaker 1: And actually, right now, with river levels, you might be pretty happy right where you are.
Speaker 2: Yeah. There are times where, certainly in the winter Hood River for those of you haven't been here or been in town and checked it out, we're on a very steep slope with the Hood River itself cutting diagonally through our valley out to the Columbia. But what's interesting is that in the winter, our steep hill gets to be a bit of a liability it's pain in the ass to get around town when we get snow. Oh yeah, roads, But then I always think, you know, concurrently that when we have giant rain events like this, I'm also kind of glad we live on a hill because at least most of it goes downhill quickly and out to the Columbia. We don't have a lot. We have a bit this morning. We're definitely we have a few roads closed. We've had a couple of landslides on Highway thirty five on the way up to Mountain Meadows and Timberline, so that's closed. But generally speaking, except for up in the Upper Valley, everything kind of flows downhill, so we don't get a lot of the type of flooding that the folks in the Seattle area and this Gadget Valley. Yeah, we're getting right now.
Speaker 1: So is the Is the Columbia looking just monstrous?
Speaker 2: Everything is monstrous? Yeah. The hood is very big and very brown red.
Speaker 1: Somebody this morning put a video up of hood and it was it's something. Yeah, it was as big as I've ever seen it. Yeah, so growing up in Michigan, tell me about it?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, geez, you know, I grew up in western Michigan, which is probably the biggest reason I ended up about west. You know, there are few Midwestern folks break the forest field of staying put, but those of us that do don't typically go back, and we tend to find cool places to land. In fact, in Hood River I can think of at least a half a dozen or more Native Michiganders along with me, None from my hometown, but many from surround areas, and they, you know, all have landed in various places and then in Hood River. So you know, I didn't really all this, the things with fishing and whitewater kayaking and all this. I didn't really interact with that stuff very much growing up in western Michigan, which is unfortunate because there are you know, myriad opportunities to do all of those things there that I've I've now gone back and realized, Wow, I wish I would have, you know, I would have availed myself of those things then. But yeah, I mean mostly I was just a normal urban kid. I grew up in a town, Grand Rapids, in western Michigan, which is about in the size of Portland, so maybe with all its suburbs around a million people, maybe a million and a half, and I just I kind of grew up as an urban you know, And I mean, that's that's not totally true. I did grow up at least part of my formative years, from maybe third grade through like into early high school. I did grow up in a relatively rural part of western Michigan, and we lived on a lake, and so I did. I did some sort of fish, I guess is you know, you'd call it that, but just fishing for bass and and you know, bluegill and things like that. But I was never someone that really liked to fish or thought that that was something I'd want to pursue in other places. It was just something to do because there was literally a lake at the end of our yard, and so that was my only real interaction with that there. And then then obviously, you know, after high school, I got the bug to I wanted to learn how to ski, which is, you know, there's not a lot of skiing in western Michigan, and there's some stray.
Speaker 1: Lake states don't have They have snow, but.
Speaker 2: Not a lot of elevation, no exactly, and so you know, some winners are good, and some winners there's no skiing, but I did pick it up later in my twenties, and that really sort of then the bug set in and I felt like I needed to go west, mostly to ski. And what's real full circle moment is that the thing that inspired me to move out west to pursue skiing and the mountains was the volt At catalog and all the photos were from a gentleman named John Laptad. Who is It turns out he lives in Hood River. And so here's on. After I moved to Hood River, I didn't know that that he lived here, and someone introduced me to him, and I, you know, I kind of probably lost my ship. I'm like, you're the guy who inspired me to move out west in the first place. And so yeah, so his his photos were in Parker's book Free Heel Skiing and photos featured in the Voleet catalogs and those two things. So I learned, Yeah, I learned how to ski teley skiing. So I did it the hardest possible way, so in West Michigan, on ice and with no formal instruction. So both of my hips, right and left hips were bruised into all sorts of colors. The first two seasons I kept falling down and uh but I you know, I had the bug and uh yeah, So that's that's what really spurred the you know, the the escape from West Michigan. I was a classic Midwestern kid in that both my parents worked in factory. So the future was, you know, either my whole my mom's side of the family, all of them to a one have since retired from GM and my mom retired from Steelcase making office furniture. My dad worked at Steelcase at the office furniture factory. I did summer what they called summer help, which is where all the kids would go in during the summer when school was out, and once we were sixteen, I think sixteen, Yeah, I think sixteen, they would let us in the factory and they would you know, be extra help while people were doing their summer vacations. And so that was kind of that's that was the trajectory. That's what you do. And you know, once I, once I started skiing and playing around with that, I realized that that seemed like a lot more fun thing to pursue than pursuing a future in the factory. So that's where I ended up moving moving west. And I'll just close up this chapter quick is I was fortunate at the time I decided to make the move west. My mom had remarried Alemen and his sister lived in Bozeman, and she had she had gone from West Michigan where we all grew up, and gone to Montana State, and she ended up staying married a guy who was a fourth generation Montana UH and had a place to live. And so when I was looking at options of where to escape to, you know, things like UC Boulder, UH, you know, Utah State and Logan, UH, University of Salt Later or of Utah and Salt Lake, all those things, and Bozeman and of all of those, the connection of having my my stepdad's sister and in Bozeman with a place to stay where she said, yeah, you can crash with us until you get established. That made it pretty easy.
Speaker 1: So awesome. Yeah, It's it's funny when you look back how little things make huge difference. I mean, just having just having when you're a kid, just having some familiar people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was great. And I you know, I frankly had never met my stepdad's sister at that point, so I just threw all my ship in the back of a GMC Sonoma. You know, the poor man's U S ten pick up. Of course, we're real drive not appropriate for the mountains in Montana, and drove across the country with all my stuff and there's there. You know, estically, I was there to go to college, just so you know, I mean, I did have an excuse to sell to my folks that that I was going to get a college degree when I went there.
Speaker 1: What did you go to college for? Uh?
Speaker 2: You know, it turns out I went to college for skiing, kayaking, rock climbing, and then fishing and and somehow incidentally I ended up with a bachelors of science and geography.
Speaker 1: So who do you remember much of the geography?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that stuff actually, I mean that's what I ended up with. That in that that that pursuit just because it was interested me. Settle in patterns and why people ended up in places and house cities and towns, especially in the West, grew up around the railroads. That sort of stuff is you know, it was always kind of fascinating to me. So it was an easy fit. Yeah, it didn't involve any math. Let's just say that the maths, the maths and my brain are not good friends.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm kind of there too. I was actually I was actually really good at math up until calculus, and then I was just off a cliff once I couldn't just do it in my head anymore. Yeah. So, oh wait, just to backtrack a little bit, there is some argument that that two wheel drive truck is not a good Michigan vehicle either because of your snowloaded But as a guy who's first several trucks work too wheel drive, they are donut machines.
Speaker 2: They are. And also I would argue, if if you really pressed me, I would argue that if you could learn how to drive one of those things around in the snow with a little bit of weight in the back, Yeah, put weight in the back, you can. You can drive just about anything in the snow. And the reason being is you have to learn the technique of being very judicious with gas, yes it and using it so feeling for the traction right not let those you'll never learn that with, you know, an all wheel drive car. And so I suppose it was. It was good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I actually think all my goof and run I learned to drive in a sixty three MG and uh, you could break the back of that loose, so easy on the snow, and so drifting these big long country road corners. I didn't know it was called drifting that. And I don't think it's the same because guys who drift, I think are doing it either an all wheel drive or front wheel drive car, and I'm doing it there in the donut machine. MG. But it does really teach you how to drive in snow, I think, so.
Speaker 2: I mean, I feel like I was better equipped to drive in snow learning to drive in a real rear wheel drive vehicle in both in Michigan and and Montana.
Speaker 1: And so yeah, well, especially when you're a kid, you also are more meet heady and do stupid things that you learned from Yes. So, speaking of which, uh, I was happily surprised to find out about white Water. You guys started when you were at college.
Speaker 2: I did. Yeah. So I back to West Michigan right after high school. I went to work for an outdoor backpacking, general, outdoor and ski shop that at that time even had been in business for thirty or forty years. It was started the gentleman who started it was still working in the shop. He started after World War Two and he came back from from Europe, and he was one of the first folks to you know, like all of the rope toes and things across the West and the Midwest, any of the snow country. He was one of those people to you know, grab a car engine and rig up a toe rope at one of the hills in West Michigan and so, and he became a ski retailer, you know, to outfit all the people that were now skiing and having fun with that that sport. So he started a show up his son. He and his son were running it when I got out of high school, and I hired on with them to to sell mostly backpacking gear. But I once I got into the ski pursuit, I was selling skis for them too. They this is this will get us to Whitewater and Montana. I swear they were well known in the outdoor industry because they had been in business for so long made nationwide. People knew of this this shop. And so when I decided to leave their employ and move to Bozeman, I asked for, you know, a recommendation to a shop in in Bozeman that I had heard of that I also knew was quite you know, wealth well thought well regarded, and through that connection I got a job at a shop in Bozeman called Northern Lights Trading Company. They're kind of sort of still around. In fact, my old boss from there was just in Herd River a couple of days ago. One of two of his kids, who I remember walking around that shop in Bozeman is hodlers and infants are now living in White Salmon, and so I see them all the day. Yeah. But so I parlayed that work at Bill and Paul's sporthouse in Grand Reference, Michigan into working for Northern Lights Trading and Northern Lights was a climbing shop, a backcountry ski shop, a Nordic ski shop, and then most importantly, the passion of Mike Garcia, who was the owner and founder of that was whitewater. That was his baby, and so that shop had a Whitewater focus, and I didn't you know, that wasn't my thing. I hired on to sell backpacks and the same kind of stuff I was selling in West Michigan, and very quickly it became obvious that that was a cool thing that you could do, and so I did the standard thing. I went and took one of the role classes and got into a boat, and then that really wrote the rest of the rest of the story that landed me in Hood River, which was spending you know, the better part of from nineteen ninety six through you know, two thousand and six or seven doing nothing but whitewater kayaking, very little skiing, very little anything else. That's what we did. The calendar the year was was organized around skiing and the dead of the winter, and then the minute the spring runoff started, it was paddling locally in Bozeman. It was you know, Easter was always a trip hopefully to the Locksaw in Idaho. Fourth of July was always a you know, a week of debauchery and kayaking on the payats outside of Boise. You know, the fall was a couple of things in the Bear Tooth Mountains east and south of Bozeman. You know, so just the year kind of it was the whitewater calendar really, you know, at those rivers came into into into action, we would be there and so that really that was what got me in the the the rivers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's very much a seasonal chase. There was I just than an eastern version of it when I was doing it, you know, you'd start actually start brutally cold because some of the stuff in the a Aroun jacks was amazing then. And then as summer came and all the annual stuff was running off, we'd go up and go to the Autawa a few times because the Autawa was always running even when it's low. It's huge, and there's there's such a big overlap too amongst even more. I think, uh, Telemark skiers and kayakers, and there are downshill skiers and kayakers, although a lot of the Telemark skiers as they as they age, become downhill skiers.
Speaker 2: That's that's where I'm at now. Yeah, I jettisoned the freehill gear a long time ago, and and now since I don't ski all that much anymore, it's much easier to just walk in and go skiing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my my friends, the Whites, my my family in Colorado, one of my two families in Colorado, finally went to lock in Boots and they're just stunned at how much it is.
Speaker 2: It's good. I will say that it took me a little bit. It took me a good bit of one season to really get the hang of it, because it was quite a bit different and I was very confident that at the point when I made that switch, I had, you know, my telemark skied for ten plus years, and I was you know, I was you know, I was good at it. But making that switch, which I guess I presumed would be a little bit easier, it did become easier fairly quickly. But the initial part was there was some relearning to be sure. Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, Now it's great.
Speaker 1: When I when I tried Teley skiing, it was right before I just had to face up to quit skiing, and I took a class and they were like, how'd you get down here? And I'm like, well, I downhill. I just didn't use my heel if I got to a spooky stretch, I just downhill skied.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But so back to boating, Yeah, what was your first boat?
Speaker 2: So I I was thinking about this in the the run up to our conversation and trying to get my back straight. And remember I was I started selling boats at Northern Lights, probably right at the end of at the very tail end of the Pirouette being the boat of choice. There were still a few of those in the shop, but they were mostly down in the basement and dust covered and and you know, and and that was kind of that was the end of that era, and so we moved into all the things, all the short boat era. So I I really my my heyday of paddling was at the advent of boat companies like Wavesport Chance Company out of Colorado, things like the X, things like the Z, things like the you know, the stubby. You know, that was that was my era. So so it's definitely the short boat thing. And obviously that is you know, it's changed dramatically. You know, it changes dramatically all the time and has quite a bit in the last few years. But that was where I kind of jumped in. And so to some degree it was an easier sport to learn, and the rivers that you were able to run, the difficulty of the rivers you were able to run fairly quickly in your I guess call it career of whitewater were made much more accessible by the technology. The boats were better.
Speaker 1: I was amazed when I started. They were like you get a dancer. I got a hydro dragonfly, and there were a couple others, But first off, they were made for people smaller than me for the most part, like a dancer I think was made for somebody one hundred and forty five to sixty five pounds. And the other problem is they're long and skinny. They're meant stuck in sticking holes. They didn't realize that yet, But if you owned a hydraulic sideways you could be there a while where the shorter that when the boats got shorter and more maneuverable, you could actually you could plain a lot of hydraulics that you were getting spanked in bigger boats.
Speaker 2: Well, I will agree with all of that. I will just make a note for any of the listeners out there that those boats did pioneer some of the hardest white water in.
Speaker 1: The Rocky, oh, the Rockies, all over the world.
Speaker 2: All over the world. I mean, I really can't say enough about. The one that comes to mind is the pioneering run that Rob Lesser and you launched and somebody else did on the on the box on the Clark Fork of the Yellowstone. I mean, that was a mission. They were in there for a week, and they were in boats they had no business being in there. And and certainly it's it's now run you know, much more regularly, but it certainly made it more fun I think it opened up the small boats definitely opened up the ability to just to use the river more creatively. You know, a small boat small and so if you if you look at it as I mean, I suppose I could analogize this to uh, painting, since that's your your gig is you know, it's the ability to use a tiny brush for details versus a big brush for big strokes. And so the smaller boats really allowed folks to I think, to get down some of those rivers, uh, not as a survival endeavor, but as a creative endeavor where they're able to sort of paint on that canvas, the river being the canvas, and those little boats allow those you know, tiny eddies to be you know caught, and those those maneuvers become a lot more interesting instead of just floating as if you're a piece of driftwood and making it through a rapid Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's there. It gives you more of a sports car aspect to it. Driving their bus. I was still skiing when I got started, and I used to tell people it's what's like your skiing, but the mountain moves, the features are still there, but the but everything's flowing over it and I love that the I'm not sure it's even it's an analogy. I'm looking for a word, but likening it to a creative endeavor because when you're when you're learning, and you're with your crew and your standard at a drop and you're trying to decide if you have the nerve and the scale to do it, and you're picking your line through it that you've got to put in your head to keep on, you realize everybody's picking their own line, and there's conversation back and forth and choosing and stuff. But uh, there's any number of ways to get down a complicated rapid and the higher your skill set and the more appropriate your gear is for it, the more creative you can be in in that.
Speaker 2: I would since you know, since I suppose the the broad strokes of our conversation are probably around where we interacted with fishing, I think that it's sort of similar to the pursuit of certainly you know, trout fishing, or or steel hit and salmon fishing. I mean, you know, you and I could stand at one of those spots on the shoots, and while Barrett could certainly tell us that the fish is right behind that rock, you and I might approach how we fish to that fish, you know, differently, just like as you were suggesting a couple different people looking at a drop and how they're going to navigate a kayak through it would do it as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, well it's it's funny. I didn't. I grew up wanting to do trips on my own. I didn't. I didn't have any idea. Well, I don't think it was as big, but there were still guides and outfitters and everything when I was a kid, but it wasn't something my family did at all, And so I came at it from wanting to develop skill sets so I could go on trips myself. So I needed to learn how to fish and out of camp and out a canoe on my own. And it was in the era of there weren't really classes, so you got a book and you started learning. Built Mason was it was the canoe guru from eastern Canada, and his books and his early videos were amazingly helpful. And then on trips I'd run into these kids at canoe camp that you'd go up for a week or actually it was usually uh three weeks or four weeks and you'd start off learn how to paddle, then you do learn how to cook, and then you do a weekend trip, and then a four day trip, and then a five day trip, and at the end of the end of the thing, you'd do like a ten day trip or something. We'd run into these groups in Canada, and I was thinking, why didn't I go to those? And it just wasn't something my family did. So what led to fishing? Just being on the river?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I was thinking about again, it's sort of in the run up to this conversation, I was sort of trying to get in my head the timeline and where I interacted initially with with fly fishing. And what I realized is is that, you know, I moved to Bozeman to pursue college and I'll put that in scare quotes or air quotes to college in nineteen ninety late nineteen ninety four, early ninety five, and A River runs through It had just been released in nineteen four, and so you know, certainly the cultural zeitgeist if you were in the West, was you know that movie really you know making it well? And incidentally there's some great connections which I'll I'll allude to in a little bit about that movie and people that I've met subsequently in Bozeman who worked on the film. But nevertheless, I, you know, I had seen the film and that it just really interacted with my you know, my looking at the pictures of John lappt you know, skiing photos in the Valet catalog and the you know, Paul Parker's Freehield skiing book and the skiing and I'm like, this is just why I'm going to the West. And so but I did show up in Bozeman primarily with the idea of skiing in mind. And so the first summer that I was there, I don't know, I really don't recall when I bought gear first, but I'm not sure it was the first summer I was there. I think the first summer I was there, I spent primarily hooking up with rock climbing folks and doing some of the local climbing classics, and then also trying to pursue summer skiing. So I remember specifically the first summer I was there doing a few trips to walk in you know, on the dirt to get to the snow and summer ski. But soon there after either that summer or the subsequent year that I was there. I went to a sports shop in Bozeman called Bob Warden Sons. And they were a general sports shop. So where I was working at Northern Lights was more specialized with climbing gear, with paddle sports gear, with you know, higher end backpacking gear. Bob Warden's Sons was you know, pick your local sports retailer anywhere across the country, that's what they were. They had everything. I mean, you could buy hockey tape there, a hockey stick. You could buy football cleats and you know, a cup and a jockstrap, you know, and you could buy fly fishing gear. And so I went in there with what little money I had as a broke college student, and I bought a fluger metalist reel, and a Saint Croix rod of some variety or other, a fishing vest and a parent neoprene waiters and some boots, and off I went. And that was that's where it started. And I really, I really dove into it. I enjoyed it. And certainly the area around boseman Is is just a trout fisherman's paradise. I mean every river has, you know, tributaries all up and down the thing, and every one of those tributaries has another tributary. And so if you just want to fish in beautiful places for tiny fish, you can do that. You can fish on the gallet, and you can fish on the Mattis. I mean all of it, you know. So it was all right there, you know, just right right at the fingertips of you know, a college student. And I was thinking about this when we started talking about having this conversation. I was fishing on the hood maybe a week and a half ago, and I was wearing a pair of fingerless fox river gloves. I realized, those are the ones that I bought at Bob Wardensn's in either nineteen ninety five or ninety six. They're in terrible shape and they smell bad, but they're always in my jacket. They were in my jacket in my boat. Your hands, yeah, they still get my hands form. So that was where I got into it. And so, you know, I because Montana is big. I think the only people that really can understand this are people who lived either grew up in Montana or have lived there for an amount of time. Is the state's fucking huge and it's very enormous. It's enormous, and there's so much to do there that like I can say that I spent you know, five and a half years there skiing, skiing, kayaking and fishing, and I still never fished the Blackfoot. I still never fished, you know, some of the classics around Missoula. I never fished, you know, the Ruby, I mean, but I fished a whole lot of other shit, you know, and so it's hard you I just remember, if you stand in Linley Park, which is is that the name of it, there's a park on the east side of Bozeman where there's some hiking trails just in town. You know, easy place to go for a run. You can look out and you see seven different mountain ranges. Every one of those mountain ranges has skiing possibilities, has kayaking possibilities, has fishing opportunities. And so, you know, I fished a lot of stuff. I didn't fish some of the classics. I fished a lot of you know, neat places, but I fished a lot that was you know, that was my pursuit when the kayaking wasn't happening. And then sometimes just you know, in the midst of it, because it was something easy. You know, you could run out. I often did. I would run. I'd well run out. I would skip class and I would drive out to one of my favorite places to fish on the Gallot and was the lower part of the river down by a little town called Manhattan, which is just east excuse me, just west of Bozeman. Kind of the lower part of the Gallaton. There were a lot of white fish and kind of braided channels, but there were also really big rainbows tucked under the undercut banks and not a lot of fishing pressure because everyone wanted to fish. The classic scene at the end of a river runs through it is Brad Pitt standing in that silhouetted standing on that rock. It's casting. That is right below Squaw Peak, down stream from Big Sky, from the ski resort, and that's the canyon section of the Gallaton, which is where we would kayak. And also it's great fishing, but it's you know, it's where everyone fishes. So I always found myself trying to fish. I feel like this is something you where you and I a line a bit. You were always looking to do solo trips, you know, paddling, and I guess I was always looking to fish without other people around, so I would go you know, I would go out to less you know, crowded areas on the Gallaton that were not the A plus fishing. But I always had good fishing and I never people.
Speaker 1: So that's that's always my goal. I couldn't care less if it's a well known river, stream or creek, uh to not be that. The thing I love about fishing, paddling, being outside is that chance to connect to the world, the earth in a in a more primitive seems like a ridiculous word to use. I need more, but in a more simple way then as soon and I my last ten years, i've fished with people more than I did in the first fifty years and I and I love it. But I still love being alone or just with my dogs. One of the things I think dogs make you notice more so I think they're they're interesting addition, but I love being on water alone.
Speaker 2: I think that what I would argue, if if you press me, is is that whenever you fish, we'll just use fishing as the example, since that's the thing we're talking about. Whenever you fish with a pal, a buddy, two pals, it doesn't matter. It inevitably the discussion goes to gear, not the surroundings. The surroundings do come up, the beauty of the place you're in and all that, but it just inevitably ends up at gear talk. When you're by yourself, the gear talk, you got nobody to talk to about the gear, so you tend I think this is this is an argument. I'm just getting this argument for him right now. I'm not sure about it, but that you when you fish solo, you tend to take in the surroundings, maybe more than you would when you're with people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's it's funny. I also find I fish much more intently, which doesn't mean I'm any more focused on my fishing than I because I'm always I'm kind of notorious, at least with myself, for looking at everything other than my fly or my line or anything else. But I feel like I'm more focused on it. I was actually really shocked one time fishing with a friend who guides too, and he wasn't guiding me. We were just fishing, but he went into guide mode and next thing you know, I was waiting to be told what to do. And I like to learn, but I hate being told what to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, So.
Speaker 1: Once you first pick up spade run.
Speaker 2: So I had an interesting sort of interaction with fishing and Oregon. So I moved to Oregon to pursue throwing myself off every waterfall that was available in paddle kayak in the winter here. And I really didn't understand the fishing in Oregon, and I was really kind of put off by it because the only thing that I could I could really figure out was that there was one trout stream and it was the Shoots. And so to my mind, that was really hard to adjust to having just come from Bozeman. Where As I said before, every river has a tributary, which has a tributary, which has a tributary, and they're all full of trout and then you can just go wherever and fish. And all of the rivers in the Northwest, which is one of the reasons they're so uniquely interesting for kayaking is they're all in sized in these you know, deep basalt canyons, which is great for whitewater because it means there's a bunch of waterfalls and cool canyons to paddle through. But what it means is there's none of those tributaries and free stone streams and the things that you're so used to in the Inner Mountain West, and so I kind of kind of hung up the fishing gear because I'm like, this is sort of dumb. I don't want to drive all the way out to the shoots and fight a bunch of people and fish to picky fish. You know that everyone's fished over. So I kind of stopped fishing, and then a couple friends of mine who were also trout fishermen, started to kind of pick away at you know, salmon and steehead fishing and two handed rods. At that point, this would have been two thousand and four to two thousand and six, somewhere in that range, that that gear was starting to become much more ubiquitous and much easier and more accessible. And so a couple of friends who I knew were fisherman also who had fished with a little bit, started to get into that and kind of drug me into it. I believe I was again trying to get my timeline straight. I believe that sometime around that my good friend Chad Foster lives here in town, had purchased a trip at the Native Fish Society annual auction to do a day with Barrett and Hickman on the Clackamus. And no, no, I'm sorry, it wasn't Barrett. It was Tom Larimer and Jeff on the Clackamas, and Chad invited me along. And I hadn't had a two handed rod in my hand ever, so I spent that day learning how to two hand cast. Hickman taught me how that day or Tom, I think Tom did. I think Jeff was fishing with Chad and so that was my first entree into it. And then I kind of just I kind of just kept going, you know, from that that point on.
Speaker 1: So, uh, Tom probably put a Loomis in your hand at that time, Okay, you.
Speaker 2: Know, maybe probably, I don't remember, you know, it was that so long ago, and you know, it was one of those those days. I don't remember that well because it was you know, I had leaky waiters and was pouring down rain, and it was the winter on the Clacamus, and it was a pretty miserable day. And I was also trying to learn something new and trying to you know, get proficient at it really fast, which I wasn't very good at.
Speaker 1: So it is it is funny. I have a nephew. I have two nephews that are do a lot of outdoor stuff and when families together, they will be tell a story and it my family's appalled at how miserable it is sometimes, and uh, it makes me so wishing I could be young again, because that there's something about the miss is part of it. The I mean, when you're so cold, I hate being cold. And when you're so cold you're barely able to function and you're still having fun. It's kind of amazing to me. Although this last say, six weeks being reintroduced to northeastern cold has not been really fun. I spent the last three days chipping away at the driveway for it to find me, trying to get ready for today because they's fifty two or fifty four and raining, so my driveways finally clean again. I was completely not prepared for thoughts about snowblowers, maybe getting somebody with a plow, all that crap. No thank you, I was gonna say, Nate just left for some reason, so we're going to take a We're going to take a quick break. Patrick Lukaba of jay Moon Bamboo Rods is located down in southern Oregon along the Rogue River in Grant's Pass. That's where he spent the last several years developing tapers for three bamboos bay rods. He builds a light ten foot eight four weight trouts Bay, a sweet eleven foot six six weight summer steel and rod, and the one I like to call Little Thunder is eleven foot eight weight Coastal Special. There all hollow built and have what I love in a spey rod, a stiff tip and junk in the trunk. He also builds a powerful eight foot six weight single hand rod for those of you might want to take a two and a break and throw big drives or streamers or smallmouth bugs. Patty can be found at jaymoonworks dot com. That's works with an ex jaymoonworks dot com.
Speaker 2: A bird just flew into the window next to me here in my dining room, and I just got up to take a peek see if the thing was dead or been flown away.
Speaker 1: Well, one of the things I've been really surprised with in the woods out behind me. It's eastern hardwoods and full of undergrowth. I finally got so lime disease freaked out. I quit walking back there until we got snow then the dogs. That I've been back there, I'm seeing very few small birds, which I don't remember. When I lived up in western New York, it was always thick with small birds in the wintertime, eating every little seed off of everything. And an art critic I follow made a remark that he was hearing very few birds on his walks anymore, and it's got me a little freaked out about it. But where I lived in Oregon City, you'd hear a bird thump off the window, and I'd always go charging outside to see if was laying there because there's so many cats in the neighborhood. Yeah, and half a dozen times I found little, tiny, unconscious birds that you'd pick up and just hold for ten minutes, and all of a sudden they'd come to it and fly away.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, how long ago din't you pick up space run?
Speaker 2: How long was I think we were? To the best of my limited brain power these days, I believe it was probably in the two thousand, probably two thousand and six, two thousand and seven, two thousand and six to two thousand and eight.
Speaker 1: Issus kind of like you better like twenty years now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Yeah, So.
Speaker 1: You're sticking most of the Oregon. Are you traveling?
Speaker 2: Uh? I mean, I would love to travel more, but I end up, you know, fishing ends up being an active of you know, convenience, And I'm obviously blessed with the things that are convenient to me in Hood River, which are the shoots for summer steelhead, the click tat, you know, we've got the Hood the Hood River in town has a small but really fun winter steelhead run, and obviously, yeah, you know the metro area, Portland metro area for things like the Sandy or close by. There's a lot of opportunities. I don't travel a ton for fishing. I wish my schedule would allow a little bit more flexibility. I would like to spend more time out with you know, with Colby and Jeff at the coast because there's a lot out there. But the Oregon coastal rivers are are very fickle, and then they explode into you know, raging high water and then turn into trickles in the space of a day or two. And so the only good way to really hit those when they're at their peak is you sort of have to live out there, or at minimum you live in the Portland metro area, so it's almost and.
Speaker 1: Just to be really flexible. Even in Oregon City because of the traffic patterns, it would take me almost two hours to get out there. So you've got to be watching stuff and be just be ready to drop what you're doing when things are in shape, which is gonna be really hard to do from Pennsylvania.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 1: Surprising to me back here in the East. Some of the best steel heading is through the winter months. And I just don't function in sub freezing. If I'm not moving, I want to be inside. I hands give out on me. And I was shocked to find out the first winter back out in Oregon. Winter is my season for fishing. I just love fishing the coastal stuff when it's like thirty five or forty and drizzly, rainy, whatever. Especially when it's like thirty six thirty seven and snowing. Oh that's just heaven to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, So I don't get a chance to travel too much for fishing, you know, I wish that I that I did, But that's fine. I mean, I'm I'm able to pursue it in a way that you know, makes it makes it fun. And the as I said before, the things that I have in my backyard here in hood River, you know there they are things that other people travel across the world for. So I count my blessings that those are things that I get to do, you know, before work on a given day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that is the dream is to be able to go fish for two hours. Yeah, so talk about work. How'd you get into coffee?
Speaker 2: I got into coffee by way of being drunk in two roommates saying it was a good idea, and I said, sure, I'll help you with that. So yeah, they So at the time when we started the shop, my former business partners and I, there weren't a lot of options in hood River. There there had been a history of a couple very specific coffee shops that have been around for a very long time, but at that point they had those had all kind of closed up or people had retired or sold them. And one of our business partners was traveling back and forth to Portland regularly for work and had started to encounter things like Stumptown, you know, some of the higher end roaster retailers, and thought that that would be a good fit for Hood River and I didn't disagree. I you know, I knew the cafe culture from being in college Embozeman and knowing that it's it's a it's cool thing to have available for a community, and so yeah, so it was it was happenstance in that a friend of ours who ran a kayak school, the Colombia Gorge Kayak School, was renting a space in the back of the building that our cafe is in now. And he got wind that the tenant in the front of the building was leaving, and he knew that my roommates at the time and I had been kicking this idea around, and he said, oh, you should walk down there and take a look at that spot. And we walked down and looked at the spot, and we're like, okay, sure, let's do it. So we signed the lease in April and then did a massive gut of the place on our own because we didn't have any money. And we're opened by August of two thousand and four. So that was it. And so the three of us kind of worked in there. We had employees, and then you know, obviously all of us still had day jobs, and so slowly but surely, just through attrition and other life circumstances, I ended up being the last guy standing, and that was in about twenty eleven, twenty ten, and so now I'm the only owner and I'm still in there slinging car I still work behind the bar four or five days a week, so throw the apron on and make coffee.
Speaker 1: Do you enjoy it?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, totally.
Speaker 1: It seems it seems like being part of a community like that would be really fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's super fun. I mean it does. I mean, well, it doesn't offer as much flexibility to travel for fishing as I'd like. It does allow for the flexibility to do those sorts of things where I'm able to sneak out and be on the dishoots for you know, two hours in the morning and in you know, September, or run over to the click atat or run down to the hood and fish before work or after work, so that there's there's that flexibility. I guess at this point, I'm I don't know if I I don't I don't know if I could work for somebody else, is what I was about to say. But then I also, on the other hand, think, God, I'd love to work for somebody else and not have the responsibility of all the employees and all that. Where someone just said, go stable these pieces of paper together all day, I'd be like, oh, it's awesome. I just want to stable the papers together all day and not think about anything else, you know. So it's a it's you have to weigh those things for sure.
Speaker 1: It's it's funny. Like the only specific thing I can remember from going to school for business is the economist Peter Drucker saying that the day you go to work for yourself is the day you become unemployable. But I've had long stretches where I wish I could have a job. I just don't have a skill set. I mean, the economy moved away from my skill set.
Speaker 2: It as for mind too, at fifty four years old, right now, I wouldn't know what to I mean, I suppose at best what I would do is I would try to pitch myself as as a leader, you know. So, I mean that's one thing beyond just the hard skills of being able to be a you know, twenty one years as a barista. I mean, I'm very skilled at that, but I'm also have I've definitely developed leadership skills that you know, are undeniable and just be by necessity, you know. So, And I know this. I can't get my hands off my own back padding them right now. Sorry, but that's what I mean by this. But I do have a history at this point of having you know, employees who have been with me for multiple years. I've had multiple employees, you know, for six and eight ten years. I have you know, live in town who worked for me a long time ago, who are still in the shop every day as customers, And so I do there is some validation to the efficacy of my leadership skills. And so to your question, what would I do if I got a job, I don't really know, but I think that's what I would have to do is pitch it as some sort of a you know, a leadership role, because I think that's where my skill set really is at this point. But certainly sort of technical proficiency, I mean, you know, that's.
Speaker 1: Hey, hey, we're both zuoming, come on, man. Yeah, And that must be really helpful in your because you do quite a bit of community involvement stuff.
Speaker 2: I do. I was thinking about how I got to that to.
Speaker 1: A community, but you're quite involved in your community. Would be a nicer way of saying that.
Speaker 2: Sure I do I do good work. I try to do good work. I was thinking about that how I got motivated to do those things. And what I realized is, so this is I'm going to butcher this a little bit. But there was a Timbering family in southern Oregon out of Roseberg, last name was Ford, and set up a program of scholarships throughout Oregon to teach leadership skills to folks in rural Oregon, in rural communities. And the way they would they would pursue this is they would come into a community, they would pitch it to someone who's already a leader in the community and say, go, get you know X number of people that you think would would benefit from this or would you know if they learned some of these leadership skills, would would become a net benefit to your community later down the road. And so back in about it had to have been two thousand and six, two thousand and seven, one of my employees at the time and myself were were asked if we wanted to participate in that program, the Ford Family Foundation program, and so we did. My friend John, who's still he's like my little brother. He and I went through that program, and both of us have subsequently kind of stuck with it. You know. It was the program was teaching leadership skills, you know, two folks in rural Oregon, to to get those communities to have those those natural leaders within within them to to uh, you know, get projects done and get project sated. And so that I suppose probably set the hook a little bit. And then from there I did two terms or eight years on the Hood River City Planning Commission. I was the chair of the Planning Commission for a couple of those years, so I learned how to run meetings. Robert's rules. I still kind of remember and think I can muddy through if I needed to run a hearing right now.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: And then obviously, as we talked about it the beginning, I'm a member of the Mountained Economic Alliance, which is a small We are a micro lender and our remit is to lend to businesses or individuals starting businesses in Bosco, Clacamus and River counties. And one of the criteria for our lending is that they've been denied by a bank for business lending. So we are a lender of last resort, but of you know, maximum opportunity. And then what's the other thing. Oh yeah, the bridge. So the bridge that connects. For those of you listening who have been out to Hood River or White Salmon or both, you've probably driven across a really narrow bridge that seems scaried across. And it's because it just across last October. It's one hundred, one hundred year anniversary. And so that bridge needs to go. And so there is an outfit called the Hood River White Salmon Bridge Authority, which is separate of the Port of Hood River, which is to get funding, design and build and implement a new bridge across the river. And I'm a board member representing Cood River County, a board member alternate representing Cood River County on the Hood River White Sammo Bridge Authority working on that project. That's maybe travel for fishing.
Speaker 1: It's uh, that's just a colossal project.
Speaker 2: It is. It is really cool. I mean, my interest in being involved in the bridge project was because actually, you know what I should I'm going to summarize all of my community involvement is because because I have been for the last twenty some years standing behind a coffee bar, people ask me questions and the thing that drives me the most batshit crazy is there's just a lot of bad information out there, and I don't want to perpetuate that bad information. And the easiest way to know what the right answers are and the correct information is is to be a part of one of the community organizations that's working on these projects and have the right information. And so when the opportunity arose to volunteer for the Bridge Authority, I knew that for the next however many years it took to build a bridge that on a daily or hourly basis, I was going to have people coming into the coffee shop and asking me across the bar, what's going on with this? And instead of not knowing the answer and not knowing where to point people for the answers, I figured I would do what I always do, which is I just volunteered and decided to be part of the organization. And so now I don't know all the answers, but I can at least give people. I can give people accurate information, and that that feels like the right thing to do, feels like what I should be doing.
Speaker 1: So what It's funny years ago, when I lived in Western New York that down my kids went to school in towns especially butted up to each other and they decided they wanted to just combine it. And there was this big stink in town, people bitching about all the dumb options for the name and stuff. And then one day in the grocery store, the I think that the woman behind me in line was complaining about it being called Bloomfield, and I turned around and asked her. I said, did you vote? And he goes, well, no, And I said the final vote was like forty eight to fifty seven. Hardly anybody voted. Why are people complaining if you don't even make the effort to get involved?
Speaker 2: Sure, sure, and I would. I'll pile on with that and say that I don't think everyone needs to get involved, because that doesn't work either, But somebody asked to. And I don't mean to suggest by any means that I'm uniquely qualified to be that person who's involved. I'm just interested enough and willing to go through.
Speaker 1: Well, you'll put the effort in get involved. Yeah, And I think one of the things on a local level, and I'm the worst defender because I'm not involved at all right now. But if there's things happening that you don't like. If you're sitting around waiting for somebody else to stop them, you're probably going to be disappointed. I know years ago, when I was in college, I was really involved in the local TU chapter and we did a big statewide event and despite all the talk, it was pretty much put on by three of us, and it was really about a ten person job because most people are willing to give an opinion. But that's where it stops.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, definitely, And it's you know what's been interesting is with that community involvement, it's made it easier and more interesting for me to get involved with groups like the Native Fish Society and be active, reasonably active within that organization and an active you know, trying to work on projects around our our waterways, you know, in and around Hood River. So I'm always up for those those fights as well when it makes sense.
Speaker 1: Well, it's it's nice too when you did you get involved in something like that, you just meet more people with similar interests and uh, some of the some of uh my buddy Terry Rogers, I wouldn't know if I hadn't gone in to do red counts through Native Fish. And you've gotten to be really good friends. So Nate, tell me how you got started doing leather work.
Speaker 2: Well, I got started, uh, you know, by happenstance, like I think a lot of folks do, getting into various things that they eventually get interested in. I was searching around for an idea years ago to come up with some Christmas gifts for all my my close you know friends who were also my fishing buddies. And you know, it occurred to me, I think, I'm not sure how much of this you'll keep from the previous version. But we had talked a little bit about Arnie Mason. So there's a gentleman in southern Oregon who did fly wallets and leather fly wallets and some really beautiful real cases. And my wife had gotten me one of his fly wallets as a gift maybe the year before, and you know, I loved it. It was it was too big. It was quite a big fly wallet. It wasn't really a pocket size one, which which is totally fine, But that got me into this idea that the sort of the subsequent year that I wanted to make something in a little pocket size fly wallet for all my fishing buddies. And so I went to you know, as many people do. I went to Tandy Leather in Portland and bought just the rudimentary tools and some raw materials and went at it and made them little fly wallets. And you know, I had material left over and had the tool and decided that, well, what else can I make out of that stuff? And so you know that spurred, well, if I can make a wallet with you know, shearling in it for flies, I could surely make a wallet that carries cards or cash. And so that's where it really sprang from. And I haven't really stopped since. I guess, you know, somebody, I think it's probably getting on to be almost ten years close to that by now of doing it, and it's it's really been. It's been. I didn't realize I needed a hobby, and I didn't realize how much I really liked to make things until I started doing it. And now I really is.
Speaker 1: That kind of the first thing you started making?
Speaker 2: It is? It is in my background when I, as we talked about before, I had worked in outdoor retail, and so I monkeyed around with backpacks and ski gear and climbing gear and paddling gear and gotten pretty pretty interested in how those things are made. And when I first moved to Hood River, a couple of years after I was here, I ended up working for the folks at Decine when they were still here. I did product development for their backpack and travel bagline, and so that's where I really got into understanding how packs and bags are made. I mean we I would take two sometimes three trips to Asia a year to you know, go through all the samples and work at the factory with our factory partners, and so I really got immersed in sort of sewing techniques and how things were put together. But I never thought about doing it myself. I just was interested in it. And once I made that first set of fly wallets for my buddies, that those two things, although they were separated by many years, sort of really came together and I kind of found a thing I really liked, which is I like making stuff, and you know, I'm so still so bad at it that I you know, I just am continually learning and trying to figure it out and get better at it. And you know, work for.
Speaker 1: I would say, that's that's the wrong word. You're not bad at it. The the things I have from you show meticulousness and a good aesthetic, a niceyesthetic. So nope, not bad. Maybe maybe not as experienced as you want to be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I think what I realized right away with making things was number one, I really enjoyed the process of designing things. There's certainly, you know, one avenue that you can take with leather goods in any of this stuff is you can you can buy patterns and and create things based on someone else's designs. And that really wasn't that didn't interest me at all. What I really got interested in was coming up with my own designs and coming up with ideas that met sort of my needs. I guess more than anything else, I never intended it to be a you know, a no. I mean, it is a business, but I didn't intend it to be a you know, a retail style business. So I've always had the freedom to build the things that I want to carry. So like, if I want to carry a cool wall, I make one for myself. And you know, but I'm thoughtful about keeping track of what I did, how I did it. I've got copious notes on everything that I built, and I've got a file for that with all the patterns, and so it's it's a really fun process and that respect in that it it's everything from you know, getting out the ruler and the grid paper and designing things to seeing it come to life and foam first maybe and then you know, into a real life product that I get to carry around. And because I have that freedom to and I'm not a slave to trying to sell things to the marketplace, I do get to make things that maybe are a little bit different, but that I know will hold up to my own use. I mean, I use all the stuff that I make, and so I'm very confident when I do sell a piece to someone that it will it will function the way it's intended to. So yeah, so that's that's where it's it's and it's branched into all the things that happen when you someone knows that you make leather things, which is, you know, a constant string of can you fix this? Can you repair this? Can you put a strap on this? You know, for various things in people. And then I've done a lot of custom kind of fun custom work. I mean I have menu wine menus at a couple of restaurants here in the Gorge. I have wrapped the yokes on two different people's cessna's you know that didn't have wraps before, so doing essentially plane steering wheel wraps. Last fall, I did a huge project with a local welding custom welding outfit. They were building railings for this house up on the click Atat and I did a thirteen foot railing across a loft, you know, down into the main space of the house, and also a handrail and a safety railing on the other side of this set of stairs. So I did, yeah, on the handrail, the safety rail along the side of the stairs, we wrapped that in leather, and then the two railings I guess, well, I guess those are the safety railings. What we did is we figured out how to put the welded spindles in and then we laced leather through all of that all thirteen feet so there was a continuous piece of leather wrapped through that entire thing. So it added this really neat texture and color to it. Obviously, the because of the safety requirements, the spindles were where they needed to be to meet code. But then in between all of that we strung leather. So that was a huge project. That project was probably six months total. Time, you know, from design to having our friends at Future Folks Supply Company here in Hood River did all the welding, the custom welding. So took them, you know, forever to get those railings built and then get them installed in the house. And then I spent gosh, I probably spent two weeks, you know, at least three or four days a week. I think I did something like, I don't know, like forty two hours of a lapse time sitting in that house on my knees, hands and knees, stringing leather and stitching it through those railings.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 2: It was a crazy project, and it was way bigger than that I had anticipated that it would be when we when we bid it out. Luckily I bid it out well enough to cover my cost and my labor that I didn't screw up too bad. But the actual amount of work that was evolved in it was it was nutty. I don't know that it's like my aesthetic. I don't know if I would put that railing in my house, but for a River cabin on the click at that it was kind of perfect. It really, it really worked well with the interior design gal from Seattle. It turned out nice, but that was a cool So just by way of saying that it's it's you know, started at basic pocket sized fly wallets and now has gone into with future folks supply. I also did a coffee table, a shelf underneath a slab of metal coffee table that we strung a big piece of leather to make an undershelf like a bookshelf underneath it. And so yeah, I've done a lot of really unique things. And you know, as I mentioned before, the litany of repairs. You know, can you fix this pair of boots my dog chewed through? And I take on those projects and I never say yes first. I always make someone bring me the repair item first, because some of that stuff, you know, it's just too hard to you have to take it all the way apart down to it. In some things, the way that they're constructed, they were never meant to be repaired. This is one of the things that's been quite interesting, and it is it's definitely affected how I build the things that I build. Is I do try with everything that I put together, I do try to think what would happen if I had to do a repair on this, and I take it apart and put it back together. So the perfect or the best analogy is shoes and boots with the advent of you know, glue and rubber and things, soles on work boots and shoes in general are glued on. Now you can't really resole them. They're not meant to be that way. You can't take them apart and put them back together. The stitch down style boots, whether it be a pair of Whites or Nicks or you know some of the danners, those things are made to be resold and taken apart and reconfigured as they age. And so it's been interesting as I've gotten repairs in from people a repair projects and had to say no because I can't take things all the way apart and put them back together. I've kind of I've educated my own products in a way that or I've created my products in a way that I know that with all of them, I can take them apart easily and do a repair if I need to, which makes me feel good because you know, I can't tell what people are going to do with a you know, a tote bag that I give them and they're dog Couto. In fact, our neighboring business to the coffee shop Toky Art Supply here in hood River. The gal who was at Janet, she commissioned me to make a wallet for her, and you know, it was cool. It was a fun project because it melded two different wallet styles that I had into one a little bit different, you know than I'd done before, and so it was it was a cool project. It was super fun. I gave it to her and two days later her pet rabbit had chewed mostly a hole right through it, and so it was one that I had to do some repair work on. And I was glad that I designed it the way I did because it wasn't that hard to fit. I mean, it was complicated to take it apart and fix the thing, but I was able to do it, and I felt validated in some of the design choices. So yeah, so that's you know, at this point with the I build stuff for I have, I only just this year started to have a little bit of a retail presence. I have a few of my wallet styles and a few other things at a local artist co op consignment shop in Parkdale called the four to one. One of my very early purchasers of a wallet, this gal named Anna, who owns the four to one. She badgered me into putting some of my stuff up in her spot, and so I do have a little bit of a retail presence now, but she doesn't push me to either you know, refill it or not. I can, I don't have to, but I sometimes, you know, when I get the urge too, I can build a little pile of stuff and bring it up to her and have it kind of sell as as needed. Otherwise I'm basically selling two people who I know, and that's until this year. I think this is an important I know this is an important It's an important point point to me in why I do this is I love knowing that almost everything that I've made is in the hands of someone that I either know personally or no close to personally within you know, a friend of a friend and close close associates, and that that is really rewarding to me. It's not that I'm not that interested in having all my stuff go into anonymous hands. And that's been a bit of a jumb spent this year with the things that I have sold up at the four to one. In part tail is I have had people show up here at the coffee shop while I'm slinging coffee and say, hey, thanks for the wallet. I got one of your wallets. And there are people that I don't know, I don't recognize, and I might know them from town, but I don't know how they would have gotten a hold of one of my pieces, because I do keep it kind of a close rain on it. And then I have to kind of, you know, in my own head, kind of shake my head and realize, like, oh, yeah, I forgot I have stuff that's available to the public now and where some rando could buy something of mine. And so that's a little bit of an adjustment to that because I don't It's not I guess I think I said just a second ago. I like to have control over it. It's not a control issue. It's more I want the things to go into the hands of people who I know will appreciate them and use them, instead of buying them and throwing them in a dusty drawer or giving them to somebody who won't won't appreciate it. And that's that is a I suppose a bit of a level of selfishness because I put a lot of time and effort into the thing, and so I like to make sure that people are going to use it because it's meant to be used. I mean, none of this stuff is meant to be you know, sitting in a drawer. It's meant to go in your pocket and get the shit beat out of it and you know, go on adventures with you.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It's It's funny that when you go from something being a hobby to getting paid for it, there is a a mental adjustment on where that place is in your life. You know, when it becomes a source of money. When I was a kid and I first I've sold a few drawgs and stuff, I'd be all excited because I could go buy something fun. And then one day you sell something big and you realize, oh, I need snow tires and it's just your cash flow. Yeah, and it does. It puts you in a different spot. And the flip side for me is I got a I can't remember, I got an email or a text. I think it was an email from a guy asked me if I recognize this painting and I said yeah, and I had a scratch in it, and he said, can you tell me what it's worth? Like I said, well, I can tell you what I sold it for. Uh, and I said, and if you send it to me, because it's not that big a piece, it won't cost you very much money. And I'll take the varnish off and revarnish it for you and get rid of that scratch. And he goes, oh, no, I don't mind the scratch. It makes me happy about where I got it. I paid five dollars for this at Goodwill.
Speaker 2: Oh man, how do you navigate that?
Speaker 1: You just say it good, I'm glad you're happy. Yeah, you know, it's it's funny to me that somebody would pay me what they did for that and then when they redecorated, just take it to Goodwill. But yeah, that's that's you know, that's there. That's the owner's prerogative.
Speaker 2: Oh totally. And I don't think I was trying to suggest that I want to take control of how people use the things I make for them, but I do. But I do want to make sure that they do get used. I mean, I feel like it's silly for them not to. I mean, I think you'd feel the same way if someone bought something and left it wrapped up in the brown paper and never put it off. I mean, then it's not doing what it's supposed to do.
Speaker 1: I have a friend up in the Rondacks who makes just spectacular guide boats, a traditional Androndeck guideboat, but they're all made to hang in really expensive lodges. Yeah, and he he would kill to have someone use his over a lifetime and wear it out and have to bring in for repair.
Speaker 2: And nobody does.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, because I mean his his boats. The last one he sold was like sixty five thousand. Yeah, so it's it's not something you're probably going to take your grandson on a you know, a trip in although if I had the money to buy one, I.
Speaker 2: Would yeah, hell yeah, use it all the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So what do you make and what are you conjuring next to make?
Speaker 2: Well? Funny, in between our conversations last time and now, I had somebody reach out to me about a just a trout fishing leader wallet, and I've never made one. I don't know why. It seems silly. I mean I end up, like you said, I'm steelhead fishing most of the time, and so I have kit for all that gear, and when I do go trout fishing, I basically just jam a bunch of shit in my you know, in my pocket and my waiters. Because I don't do it that often. I'm not as as tricked out, you know, and organized as as people that do it really regularly are. And it just, yeah, it was kind of a fun.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 2: It's a friend of mine and he had just asked if I if I had if I do one, and I said no, I never have, and he was like, well, don't do anything. I'm like, I no, no, it's okay, I want to do it. So it's kind of fun. I've got things out on the workbench right now to do, you know, product development again, you know, to start from scratch and kind of figure out how I wanted to work. And so that's kind of fun. I've gotten very far yet because we've had family in town for the holiday, but that's the next thing that I'm gonna jump into. And then at some point, usually around this time of year, I get a frantic text from Schomberg saying he needs bags for his reels. He likes to particularly wait until it's the coldest possible possible, the most cold days in my shop, which is unheeded half of my garage. He seems to know when it's going to be really cold. He's trying to keep me hardy. So sometime soonish, I presume I'll be getting a text from him about reel bags for for his next batch of reels, so those will be kind of the next big things. And then after that, I do have another friend of mine needs to yank the yokes out of their their other airplane while they're not using it this winter, and I need to wrap those yokes make him look look fancy like their other plane. In fact, I gotta reach I need to harass them about pulling those things out of the plane when it's in the hangar this week and getting them to me so that I can work on those.
Speaker 1: Oh, so he can actually just you don't have to go to the plane. He can just bring you the yolks and you can.
Speaker 2: Do he just pulls the yolks out, and I can do it in my shop, which excuse me, which actually works out great because the easiest way or the way to do it is im I essentially get the leather super wet, what they call casing the leather, which is what they do for saddles and things to make it take compound curves. The best thing to do is to get it totally saturated and then it actually molds almost like clay. But then it'll also set up and keep that shape. And so the easiest thing to do is if I can get the pieces so that The way those yolks are set up is they're just like an old school steering wheel. They got all the little fingernat notches, you know, in the back of them. And so the part that I wrap, I don't do the whole rectangular thing. I'm just doing the grip area. And so I get that that the piece of leather cut for each side, I case it, get it in water and let it sit for a while, and then I get it wrapped around, and then essentially I just wrap it in soran wrap, you know, and bring it inside and let it sit for a few days until it's dry enough, and then I can pull the saran wrap off. The shape stays about right, and then at the butt on the back of it, I can stitch it together, do a butt stitch so and then then it's kind of done. But it takes a couple of days, and it's easier. I don't think I would be able to accomplish that in the plane, just because it's nicer to be able to have them sitting right on my workbench. Oh yeah, and you know, hold them in place and wrap everything up with all the tools that I have.
Speaker 1: It'd be like to be like trying to just sow leather when you're in the position you are when you're changing fuses in your car.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, it would be really complicated and yeah, cold in the hangar. And so it's easier to do it in my shop and and uh yeah, so that those are kind of the next the next things that are on the list. I did it. I've finally this year got the sewing. I'm much more comfort on. So I have my workshop is set up in that one side of it is the leather shop, and on the other side I have an industrial sewing machine that I'm just becoming familiar with, and I don't use that for any of the leather goods. I do for some of the softer, lighterweight glovier leather. To use a term, I'll throw that out there. But like the little bags for Shamberg's reels, I use the sewing machine for that, But any of the other leather products, those are all handstitched, and the sewing machine is more something that I had an opportunity to get one from a friend who had one, and I was like, yay, I want it. I don't know what I'm going to do with it, and so I'm in slowly this last year, you know, making friends with it, and it's been hard. I still don't intend to use it for any of the leather goods because I like the aesthetic of the handstitched look. It makes it way slower and I can't produce as much. But I want to start doing some things like just for fun, working on outerwear and things like that. So this year, this fall, I did my first jack it off of a pattern from a gall in Portland, and I want to do another one out of some different materials. So I'm hoping that'll that'll be kind of a late winter project, just to you know, fuck around at that and learn how to sew more and better. I'm really bad at it, but I'm getting there.
Speaker 1: What kind of machine did you get?
Speaker 2: So one of my former employees, a gal who worked for us for about eight or nine years. Her mom spent her entire career down in the Salem area working as a seamstress for Nordstrom, and so when she retired and over the years as the Nordstrum that she worked at retired machines, she took a couple home and refurbished them and had them in her house. Well, she had two of this particular just it's just a conso two thirty. So it's a straight, you know, straight stitch industrial machine meant for you know, doing draperies and big long runs that sort of thing. It's not necessarily designed to be an outerwear you know, or bag machine, but it will do most everything he needed to do. But it's in fabulous condition. And she had two of them, and she was trying to give it away to her daughter, who Phoebe, who worked for us for years. And Phoebe is an amazing she's she's just amazing in a lot of ways. Like if you say, Phoebe, can you build a bridge, She'll be like, yeah, hang on one second, then she'll build a bridge. She's just astonishing that way. But she already had a machine and not enough room, and so she asked me, Hey, would you want one of my mom's old machines. I'm like, yes, absolutely, this is a couple of years ago. And I didn't like, I said, I didn't know what I was going to do with it or where I was going to put it. But I knew that that in the back of my head, that was something I wanted next to start to play around with. And so I got that one from her, and it's in top notch condition. And now I'm starting to screw around with that too.
Speaker 1: So did you did you get a chance to talk to Patty at all about it?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: I didn't, oh, because he just picked one up. Oh yeah. He was a wildline firefighterup in Alaska and they have a gear shut and it's all set up to make gear repair and so he's sewn on and off for years. I don't know if he's sewing yet, but he just picked up I'm gonna blank on the name. It was a name i'd never you know, I sowed in home achin junior high. But I've actually always wanted to make my own gear.
Speaker 2: It's pretty, it's pretty fun, it's very it's uh. I find it interesting and that there are some very particular things where it is different than doing some of the leather work with wallets and that, and it's a it's a little bit of a different way of thinking. Everything is kind of starts inside out and goes right right side out versus with a lot of leather work, everything starts right side out. And so there the seam allowance thing, and some of the things that you do are different, and there are a lot of tricks and techniques to the different types of seams and things that you do with fabrics that are really cool. I mean, they're really you know, super interesting and intricate, and everyone's got a trick for how to do something, you know. That's so it's pretty cool to learn that a whole new set of tricks, you know, the leather stuff. I've got many of those tricks. I've got kind of on lock at this point, not all of them obviously, and I don't execute all of them as well as i'd like, but I have a really good sense for how to approach a project. With a sewing project on the machine, I really am kind of really the shruggy shoulder, you know, emoticon. I'm like, I don't know, you know, I don't know how to approach it. And so that's really fun to have a new thing where it's a lot of head scratching. Again, So that's.
Speaker 1: Part of what I enjoy, though, is when you're doing when you're making stuff, the especially when you start something new and you suck. Yeah, when you're a kid. In fact, I just went through with my grandson that he wanted to draw together and we were watching a little video that's too fast paced for a little kid, and he got very frustrated. And the thing that's nice. As you get older, you feel the same frustration starting something, but you have gone through enough life to realize, oh, it's just the learning curve. Yeah, it's just I really like because those first gains, you know, the first ten times you do something, your gains are huge. It's once you get relatively competent, it's something. The gains are minuscule. They keep coming, but they're much less noticeable. Yeah, and those first ones are so fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think it's the same, the same probably, I mean really it's universal. But same thing with you know, with flytying, right, I mean you can you can get way into it and make really exquisitely detailed things, or you can choose a path that gets you to things that are just enough to catch a fish, you know, and you can you can choose whichever one of those whatever that one of those stopping points along the way I think that that's actually I don't know why I thought of that, but that makes flytying almost a little bit more unique than some of these other things. Because you always want to make that you know, wallet you're making, or that jacket you're making. You want to get those stitches right, you want to make them look really good. There's no kind of in between, there's either, but with fly tying there is kind of there is a there isn't good enough, like it won't fall apart. I can fish with it a bunch and.
Speaker 1: Cash.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's kind of cool. I feel like that's a little bit unique. And it's then versus saying, you know, with you with painting or with making products that actually need to hold up, I mean you can you can kind of be a little more freestyling with with fly tying and make things that work, which is kind of cool.
Speaker 1: That's actually how most of my steel at tying is winging it rather than tying a pattern. Yeah, I have gotten down to where there's half a dozen flies. I fish most of the time, but it's I was thinking over the last few months, I'm probably gonna start tying a lot more because I'm not and I have as much opportunity to fish as I did was in Oregon. So I think there's a lot of that. There's a lot of gear acquisition goes into people who aren't getting to do the thing they love to do as much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, there's that, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: So what else? What else did we miss? What have we had not talked about? So?
Speaker 2: I know Coleby mentioned it when you guys chatted a little bit, you know, he and I have had the opportunity over the years, over the last well since twenty fifteen, Yeah, so almost ten years now, variously being able to help the Hickman's out with their project up at Kim's Quick Bay, and that that's been super fun. It's been a really neat experience to I've never seen the place in full swing, you know, to see what it's like when the clients are there, because I've always been there beforehand. But it's been a neat it's been a neat project to watch that in a really special place. And I think Colby, you know, touched on that too about how what a cool and a unique, very unique experience it is up there, such a cool piece of river. It's such a neat group of people that that ends up being I think this is Steelhead Fishing generally. I mean, the the group of people that that that end up in Steelhead Fishing's orbit are always really interesting and unique and fun people to hang out with. I think that goes for you know, it goes for the the shoots, it goes for individual communities within the steelheading community. Like there's you know, obviously all the bamboo folks, myself included. You know, that's a unique subset of people within that orbit. You know, the people the setup crew, you know at Kim Squitt was where I first met James Reid and hung out with him for you know, two years in a row up there. It's where I met Pappy, you know, Ryan White, who I have one of his rods. You know Colby I drug him up there in one of the years, and now he's been up there almost but I don't know if he's been up there more years than I have. But just some really unique people and cool folks that you know, really are passionate about the fish, passionate about fishing, and passionate about helping you know, that project get off the ground. So pretty cool, I mean, you know, and just meet people that are they're willing to work hard, play hard.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: At the same time, you know, Barrett included and you know his wife Kate. Yeah, just it. It's pretty pretty interesting. So yeah, I got an opportunity. So Jeff and Catherine bought the lodge. I'm going to murder of the dates, but I think that it was at the end of the of twenty fourteen season, and they went up there and got to shut the place down with the previous owner justin Blackwell, and you know, kind of get a sense for what they were getting into for the following year. Twenty fifteen was going to be their first year of operating it themselves. And so over the winter of twenty fourteen to fifteen, you know, we got around. Jeff was looking for some people to who are dumb enough to want to go up there with him, and you know, unearthed the place from a winter a winter's slumber, and I, you know, for whatever reason, I was like, hell, yeah, I want to do it, and I yeah, and I was like, yeah, let's let's do it. So that first year I went up there with Jeff and Catherine and we met up with his two guides. That year, a guy named Morgan and a guy named Matt, and both of them were were very helpful in that first year setup because both of them had experience as electricians, professional electricians, and so they were they were the pros. I was just the schlepper, come around and do whatever. But yeah, that first year. You know, if you've see you've seen images from up there, I mean the lodge justly gorgeous. The setting is absolutely gorgeous. Let me tell you, the place was a wreck when we got there in twenty fifteen. I mean it functioned, but barely. You know, the people that were long term clients I think were probably like, eh, you know, the accommodations aren't great, you know whatever, the place is a bit of a shambles, but the fishing is so good, We'll keep coming back. And you know, I think, I mean, Jeff has to speak for himself here, but I think his vision was always to make the experience of being there, you know, on par with the fishing, and that was really the push. And that's where you know, each year twenty fifteen or yeah, twenty fifteen, sixteen, seventeen eighteen, you know, all through that every year he Jeff would round up a crew of people to come up and do a set of projects. I mean basically, you know, throughout the year when the guests were there, he would continue to work on whatever those those projects were that got started that year. But just being up there by himself, you know, with his work crew, it was you know, those things that just get picked at. But each year, coming into the following season, it was like, Okay, this year, we're going to do X. You know. One of the years, for example, we ripped the front porches off the three guest cabins and had a friend to Jeff's who was a timber framer, come up and we all helped timber frame the fronts of all the guest cabins and put new decks on them. You know, we put in a new septic tank up there for all the guest cabins one year, so you know, digging a hole for that and putting new new pipe to it. Our good friend Dan Pierce. Have you ever met Dan? Have you ever a fish with Dan? I don't know, Aaron driver. Dan's awesome. You got to meet Dan. Dan is He's he is a unique character and he is just awesome. But one of the years Dan and I were up there, we we had to jack up all three of the guest cabins because they weren't they were sitting on rocks basically, and kind of figure out how to better, you know, situate them on the crappy foundations they were on. And then we ripped out the bathrooms in all three guest cabins, expanded the size of the bathrooms, and put them all back together in like ten days before the guests showed up. So's it's a fun it's the setup crew thing is really fun because the list of things that Jeff always wants to do is so enormous that you're like, there's no possible way, there's no way this can happen with five of us, you know, and you and then you get through the you know, the ten days, and you've gotten through like two thirds of it, and you're like, how did we do that? Part of it is because in that part of Northern Coastal BC, it's light until I mean it's workably light outside ten o'clock at night, you know, and it's light at four in the morning. And so that's one part of it is you can get a long ass work day, you know, and you still get to go fish. Yeah, easily, you know, and so you you work for a bunch of hours in the morning and then you you know, drive the side by sides down and you know, go catch an amazing fish, you know, on the Dean with nobody else on the river because you you the setup crew and you know, your other budies who are there are literally the only people on the river, which that never happens when the clients are up there, there's always other people around. And so you have this you know experience of the Dean that very few people get, well generally speaking, very few people get. And it's even more unique and special because you're kind of up there by yourself and then you just roll back up the hill, chuck your waiters on the porch, and go back to work until you know, the end of the night. And it's so it's been a fun experience. It's been a neat way to experience that that area. I've caught some very memorable fish up there, you know. Really, that's that's the reality.
Speaker 1: That's the population like that time of year.
Speaker 2: Oh, they're everywhere. They've just woken up and they're all over the place. Yeah, I've got a lot of great, great memories and Luckily, I have never run into any of them too too close, you know, down down wall fishing, and I haven't run into any of them in the woods up there. But they're around. I mean they're they're always around. In fact, you know, almost every morning and every evening you can be sitting right at the picnic table at the lodge at kim Squid and just look down over the edge where the road is coming up to the lodge and you can watch them walking through the tide water. Every night and every morning it's bear show, and so it's pretty cool. They're all over the place, and you definitely, you know, you can walk through the woods down to a spot you want to fish fish for an hour and there was no bear scat on the trail, and you come back and there's steaming, big piles of it right where you just wear that not that long ago. So you know they're always in there. I mean, we all definitely you want to you're carrying bear spray and you know, pretty much not like holstered, but like in your hand as you're walking down to the river, it's like you're rodding one hand and the bear spray in the other and you're just hoping to get to the river and always looking behind you every once in a while and not getting too focused just down the water you want to you know, you're kind of always looking over like okay, and don't see anything cool, like I sim our right. A few of the walks in there's one particular little hike into a famous fishing spot there called Ross Island, and the walk isn't very long, but god, it feels spooky and Barry It's it just feels like one of those plays is where you're gonna get eaten every time every time, Like I, I really don't like to do that walk by myself. I always like to have a buddy come along. I don't know if it makes a different, Yeah, I know exactly, but yeah, I think one of the questions you would ask us do I travel for steelhead fishing? And I kind of said no, but that I kind of have that that's sort of been my only real travel for for steelhead fishing, which I mean, I say only you know, I've gotten pretty lucky, so I've had some really really neat experiences up there and just such a beautiful area, especially if you if you're so used to you know, a lot of the fishing that we do involves being roadside, right, you know, driving along to a river, getting out at a spot, or or floating down a river. But all of those things, almost all the rivers, no matter how kind of even reasonably remote, with the exception maybe of the Grand Rond, most everything that we do is steel at fishermen, you're pretty close to civilization one way or the other. The Dean is not like that. I mean, And really that whole area of coastal BC, you really realize that cars are not the main source of travel. It's boats and planes and helicopters. And because they're just aren't roads everywhere, and the roads that are in some of those places are you know, very very remote. They're very dirt, and they go on forever and there's nothing out there. So it definitely is a different feel. I didn't grow up I mean, I grew up in Western Michigan, and Lake Michigan is you know, coastal, so to speak, but not in the way that it is in those areas in BC. They're very remote and very water focused and very you know, boat focused. It's very interesting and it's nothing that I've experienced, you know, until sort of interacting with with with Hickman's and with Kim Squitt. Is just being up in that area and experience, you know, boats and plains is the main. Like I think people that grew up in Alaska grew up in Alaska probably that's just they know that, you know, that's what it is out there. It's not like that down here in the lower forty eight. You know, we have roads everywhere at all.
Speaker 1: So no, it's it's funny if you look at a map of the US and just look at highways, the East has a you know, one hundred and fifty two hundred ye lead on making highways. Yeah, there's so many more roads and the difference is probably greater when you go from the west to someplace like British Columbia or Alaska that there's so few roads. Yeah, and not not enough people to have a budget to make them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, no real reason to, you know, I mean there's the population centers there are very you know, far away from each other. And yeah. So yeah, that's that's sort of been my experience, and it's been it's been fun. You know, obviously having people like some of the young folks like Colby and some of his friends start to kind of take over that that setup crew thing at kim Squid and make it their own. Has been fun and it's it's always a good group of people. It's a it really feels it's kind of an opportunity, I think for a lot of us to go up there and kind of pretend we're you know, well, some of us really are contractors, but some of us that aren't kind of pretend like we are. You know, you need to really put your work pants on and actually go to work, you know where a lot of us don't do that for a living, and so it scratches that age a little bit too well.
Speaker 1: And it's it's funny, that's that's satisfying work to do one d you know. That's I can't remember if we talked about it before, but one of the things I wonder if is driving some of the dissatisfaction in uh just the population, is that there are so few people that have anything to show at the end of their day that they did because so many jobs now are you know, computer based or customer service based, and you don't it's not the same as making stuff. And for the longest time, most of the jobs were about making stuff.
Speaker 2: Well, sure, and you could expand you know, making stuff is obviously relevant to you painting or me making leather goods, but making stuff is also you know, starting the day with a hole in the ground and at the end of the day putting stuff back over the top of that hole, and knowing that there's now a pipe in there to take somebody shit away from their house or or you know, I mean, that's a crude way of looking at it, but any of those things, or stringing wires through a bunch of walls so that now a light, you know, turns on. You know that that's there's something very, very tangible about the results of that work.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, I paid for college working as a carpenter, and then when the Oldest won the Internet launched and I was out of business and no time as an illustrator. I went back to working for a good friend of mine doing carpentry work. And it's actually probably the most satisfying work stretch in my life, that stretch right around forty when I was old for going back to doing concrete work. But I love learning stuff everyday day. My friend Paul hoped that I was working for is really talented contractor and because of that, he got really nice jobs to do and at the same times really physical and I've always liked I've always liked physical work. But at the end of the day, even if you hadn't a job that took two or three weeks, at the end of the day, you could see what you've done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, And I feel a little bit that. I think that's certainly one of the reasons that I I am still running the coffee shop, because there is there's something like that that you know, at the end of each really at the end of each sort of interaction. I mean, you're you are creating something that goes out the door in somebody's hand that they're going to well presumably hopefully enjoy, you know, for some amount of time, and that well, yeah, there's always that possibility. We have to have to make room for that. But you know versus like, yeah, I filled up a spreadsheet and somebody else can now look at it and you know, I don't know. Yeah, it definitely the thing It.
Speaker 1: Took me the longest time to realize there are people who that gives them the satisfaction. Yeah, And the problem is when you put somebody like me like my high school guidance counselor told me I should go to school for accounting. I still can't balance my check book. I'm not of that ilk. Yeah, and the people who are man would I'd like to have a good one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's not my my I can't do that sort of stuff very well either. I need to sort of be working a little bit with my hands and my brain in a way that you know, it's not just staring at things on a screen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, no to my Uh just for for Rob and Dan, my buddy's coop and Magic both were industrial designers and are very much hands on makers because they were industrial designers before and after computers got involved and are very much and actually my brother in law as well as my nephew too, there were all industrial designers, and my brother in law came up when working for Black and Decker. When you wanted to make a hand tool, he would make it out of wood so you could feel, you know, the shapes, and then I still remember him talking to me about a vat of resin with three laser beams coming together and hardening your tool in the middle of the resin and his went through the development of that and that just has to have been fascinating.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I'm always fascinated by and really enjoyed talking to folks that I've known in my work when I was at Takaine, and I still know some of them. They still live around town here and are still industrial designers. But those were some of the most talented people that I've ever met in there ability to kind of bridge you know, the aesthetics of you know, painting and drawing along with the technical aspects of putting something on paper that can be conceived into a three dimensional product without a lot of you know, questions being asked. And I just find that a really cool. The people whose minds work that way are fascinating to me. Yeah, you know, and I think I scratch a little bit of that when I'm developing products. But what I realize is that, I mean, I would probably be way better off if I if I knew a little bit more about that, because I think, you know, any of my industrial designer friends would come over and be like, why are you doing it that way? You can do this a lot, This will go a lot faster if you just know how.
Speaker 1: To do this, you know, And yeah, so at the same time. They probably know that because they went through this process.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. Those are always fascinating folks. And I'm always in awe.
Speaker 1: I was.
Speaker 2: I was always really in awe of the folks at kind. We had a kind of a unique set up here. And when we were working when Kaine was here in Cod River, we had a gentleman by the name of Lawn who he's still here in town. His family owns a tie restaurant here and he actually is working now for one of the other outfits in town, Alpine C, doing pattern and product development. But he was he started his life out as a tailor and he got to know Rob Kaplan, who is the guy who started to Kine when they were both in Hawaii and came on early on and helped design all of those products. And he was a wizard, that guy. So if one of the industrial designers sketched something out on Monday and handed it to Lawn, he would have a prototype built for us by Tuesday, sewn up. I mean obviously not you know, not finished finished product, but all the shapes and all the size and the straps, I mean, dead on. He was our secret weapon. And between he and the industrial design guys that that team was always fast to watch, you know, lawns sewing skills and ability to interpret what was on the page. And then watching the industrial design folks who you know, maybe were new and came into that team not knowing what lawns skill set really looked like, but then realizing what his skill set was and then just melding right into that, and they could produce. The speed with which they could come up from a design and an idea to a prototype in house was so quick. It was always just it always blew my mind. And none of the other outfits, you know, at that time, we were competing against companies that now have you know, subsumed all of those companies Quick, Silver, Roxy, whatever. But we were competing against all those companies and they didn't have that. They didn't have a lawn in house. I mean they had, they had graphic designers and industrial designers to be sure, but they had to send that stuff to their Chinese partner factories, you know, for the for the first round of prototype, and we were able to do it in house down in our you know, in our facility here in town, and it was just always fascinating. I think, I think maybe I realized that some of that experience of working closely with with Law and and seeing what he could do probably really has informed a bit of my interest in in the leather goods and all that, you know, with the the intervening years in there. But once I started with the leather goods, I think I remember somewhere deep in there, I was remembering how cool I thought it was to watch that process and be able to take things from an idea to a tangible product. And so maybe maybe some of that experience stuck with me and has has informed or or helped to you know, dig that that process in a little deeper.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It's It's funny how as you get older, Uh, you find yourself influenced by all the things you've done in your life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: And and some when I was printing a woodcut at p n c A with some grad students and they were very complimentary about my carving and asked me how I've been doing it, and I said, well, this is my second print. They said, how'd you learn how to do this? I'm like, I've had jobs since I was like eight, you know, I've I've had all kinds of different jobs. And probably a third of them come into what you do with woodcut, from knowing how to sharpen a gouge to knowing how to break it image down into shapes and all the different things I've done. And that's what that, to me is the most fascinating thing now is how do I how do I use all the different things I like to make something?
Speaker 2: Yeah, speaking of how is the meta salmon project thing coming along?
Speaker 1: I just finally got the colored salmon put on the website. I am writing letters in the next her letters emails in the next week or so to two locations that actually you're the I'll ask you about this after we finished recording, because you probably know to two possible locations to do murals next year, which next year starts next week.
Speaker 2: But hopefully I'm hoping that.
Speaker 1: I'm hoping that by May I have two locations to to come out and put murals up.
Speaker 2: Okay, and then.
Speaker 1: Combination of like things that I don't know, how do I get sponsors to do, because I mean, I've got I can't do it by myself. I got to have people helping me on these murals. Yeah, and so I'm gonna be looking for some corporate sponsors, and I think there's I think I have enough contacts now too, at least have an idea of who to reach out to. And so the goal is five or six murals up and down the Columbia by the end of next year, not next year, at the end of twenty seven. If I could do two or three this year and then two or three next year and then have enough foot traffic to help nudge the argument.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so are you. Well we can talk about this offline later. But that's good. I'm glad to hear that the project is still moving.
Speaker 1: Oh no, it's it's been beating my head on the wall with everything else in life the last few years. But you know, I'm stubborn.
Speaker 2: You do you intend to choose the look and feel of each of the murals once you kind of get the place identified, or do you have the designs in your brain already for what each of them might look at?
Speaker 1: But it's I've got a video up that I can show you that my son put together for me, and the picture. The thing about it is we can take that Sam and the idea is you can print that on gompy paper, which is a really rugged tissue and then put it up with wheat paste. So the thing that will change is the size of the text that Matthew Letzelter at PNCA is going to adjust that for me. So if I have a wall that, say twelve feet wide, I can print the text out ten feet wide and then put use enough salmon to fill it up. But I find one that's twenty feet wide, We'll print the text eighteen feet wide and just print more salmon. So we can just we can enlarge and contract. If we have a place that's just big enough for like three fish, I can do that. To me that the thing would be to have enough viewing distance that to intrigue people by it. I think the headline the text of all the damn names, and all the damn names, and our rivers are paved with the damns of our good intentions. That's not the right that I watched the quote because I've said it too many times, But I think that. And then to get up close, Greg Fitz is going to write me a information piece to go with it, to lay out the argument for removing the stake river dams. So I think between them it should be interesting. I've I've never been in a situation to do something that public facing, and it'll be a good.
Speaker 2: Challenge, right. It's interesting to it's it's something in the at the intersection of advocacy and public art, and so it's interesting to me thinking how do you find the people that want to help you make it become a tangible thing? You know, is it is it arts organizations? Is it uh? You know, people the own physical infrastructure where a mirural can be housed, or you know, and or is it uh? And then is it advocacy groups in the world of you know, sam in an ecosystem advocacy, It feels like it's all three of those. It is.
Speaker 1: It's it's trying to interesting trying to tie resources from all of them together. Yeah, And it's it's funny that at one point I felt I interactive with people so much. When I was a freinance illustrator pre internet days, you had to go meet people constantly, and so to go in and pitch I was pretty comfortable with. And for the last twenty five years, I when I'm showing my work, I mostly sit and read and hope people leave me alone and just buy a painting and go away. So so it's going to be interesting, uh, to get out of my own way and get busy.
Speaker 2: Well, one thing I can say from from having a couple late night around the lights and dinner on the dishoots with you is I can definitely say that your description of the importance of salmon was unique and and moving to me. Even though I'm immersed in that here and I live with it in this area and understand it, the way that you describe the importance of that animal, that spirit, that that resource was enough to make me kind of shake my head a little bit and think that I had heard it explained to me differently than I had in a long time. So I can't describe to you exactly what you're wording was, but if you can think about the way you described it, or that you definitely you know you typically describe it, I would say you're onto something. I guess I don't know if I'm making the point I'm trying to make, is the way you described it was it made me even kind of sit up a little bit. And that's interesting because I am immersed in that world of sort of advocacy in the salmon in our area, and even some of the ways that you explained it really have stuck stuck with me since those days on the is shootes. So just know that you you have some there's some resonance in the way that you have described this, and so if you can remember what that is, you should write that down and bottle it because it will be it will hopefully be resonant with with folks that can help you put this project into motion. If that makes any sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because that's that's what it's funny. I had made just an amazing contact my buddy Jane that I'm printing with. Her neighbor just retired from I think the Interior Department, and she's worked the Columbia Watershed for like the last twenty years. And she and Jane were just visiting one day out in their yard and ess she's printingly and then she told me what she told me about salmon, and the woman lit up and said, oh, I have to meet this guy. And so we had the three of us had breakfast, and she gave me contacts with several of the tribes, several fisheries managers. And so then that's why, right when life took a hard U turned south. And uh so that's all what I'm all trying to get everything back on on pace to to get things happening this year, next year, hurt next year in the following year.
Speaker 2: So yeah, pretty cool.
Speaker 1: Well I look forward to spending more time on the river this year man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I definitely yeah next year. As I mentioned before, I definitely love to get a seat in whatever your trip is with with Barrett this year. If you're when you start figuring out, you know, you talked about trying to do a couple of boats. I would love to jump on so that I can hang out with you some more and in person and you know, swap stories and and fish.
Speaker 1: So no, I think we're going to stretch this year. We'll get Curtis and and Barrett both and and uh we should have a blast.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well then we'll have Colby and probably maybe maybe John Helliberg cooking in the other camp so or both, you know, so yeah, good time. It would be really fun. So yeah, I look forward. I look forward to it.
Speaker 1: Well, hey, man, thanks for taking the time, and I hope you had a great holiday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm glad to have the conversation with you. So it was really fun to continue some of the conversations that we had. You know out on the river and and hopefully folks will find this useful to get a little more insight and info.
Speaker 1: And I can't wait to hear going through Hood River and they want an outstanding cup of coffee.
Speaker 2: How do they find you, Dog Dog River Coffee. We're located at four eleven Oak Street, right here on the main drag downtown Hood River. So yeah, yeah, come in and see me, you know. And if you're coming through to go fishing, if you need information, come find me. I'll give you some information. I don't know if I can give you good information, but i'll try. All right, Well, take it easy out there on the East Coast, and we look forward to seeing you back out here on the West coast soon.
Speaker 1: Or up alrighty bed the River Ramblers production of Swingfly. Visit swing of fly dot com for the best swung fly and spacecasting content on the web and in print.