Speaker 1: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from kf I AM six forty.
Speaker 2: Well, the r traffic controller says you got to move. But who the hell knows at this point other than the Democrats did it. And it's the die program that is at KEI DEI right, DIY.
Speaker 1: Do it yourself. I always get them all confused. And now handle on the news, ladies and gentlemen. Here's Bill Handle, and good morning everybody. It is and it is Monday.
Speaker 2: Morning, February third, and we're clicking long a quick hello. Hello, Neil, Willie Wolf, Good morning, sir, Good morning Amy.
Speaker 1: You're munching on carrit cake this morning, as everybody else is.
Speaker 3: Good morning. I'm very happy about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll talk about that in just a minute, because we are going to do a cheap, shameless plug utilizing.
Speaker 1: A national day. Uh and i'll tell you about that in uh in a moment. CONO.
Speaker 2: Good morning morning, Bill, morning and.
Speaker 1: Okay, so now the chief plug. Okay, So today is.
Speaker 2: National carrot Cake Day, and in light of that, in honor of that, we were able to obtain actually the volunteered Stone Fire Grills carrot cake which was brought in this morning in I guess in celebration of National Carrot Cake Day, and we're gonna be talking about I'm gonna be doing some spots for stone Fire Grill because we have the big game coming up.
Speaker 4: God, I hate that that coming on my show this Saturday.
Speaker 1: What the big game?
Speaker 2: Oh they are stone Fire Grilling. I had lunch there a few days ago.
Speaker 1: Ha ha.
Speaker 2: So anyway, so in celebrate of National Carrot Cake Day, we are eating carry cake this morning from Stonefire Grill, which they are famous for. Seriously, the most wonderful cake carry cake on the planet. And I don't say that it's phenomenal. It has been around forever. So now we normally we do celebrate certain days, you know, for example, for example Juneteenth, where the end of slavery. Basically we celebrate when slavery officially ended. We celebrate that by releasing our slaves. That has a lot to do with those of us who work at iHeart, and we sort of consider it slavery. I am connecting holidays to what we do. National Carrot Cake Day, and here we are and we're celebrating it with carrot cake. National gunner Rhea Day we celebrate by no, we don't.
Speaker 1: Real yeah, okay, it's disgusting.
Speaker 4: We've already started between your ears even work. I don't know, I don't know, Like you have one tongue, just one, but you have two sets of teeth and two lips that should be controlling or barricading that tongue.
Speaker 2: But just okay, best carrot cake in the world from Stonefire Grill before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course you have cono. Have you had the other carrot cake before? No, this is the first time. Are you in for a treat? And I'm already halfway through my piece and those are you should see.
Speaker 2: When you take any an individual portion, it's enough to feed five people. When you get a big portion, you you better have twenty people over for a dinner and dessert.
Speaker 4: Okay, this is my challenge, Bill, because I'm not a carrot cake person and I love stonefire Grills. That's what changed me. That's uh. If you were not a carrot cake person, go try theirs and tell me that you have not been converted.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, we've done enough of that.
Speaker 2: And by the way, that was not because we had to, because it genuinely is that good. I mean, there are times when I have to talk about certain things right today is in a certain day of whatever service that we're doing. I go, yeah, I got to talk about it. Yeah, it's right there in the contract. Yeah, management said.
Speaker 4: Bill, you got to talk about it.
Speaker 2: And I talk about it, and I pretend to be excited, and I go, oh boy, I'm excited.
Speaker 1: Not this one.
Speaker 2: This one is a genuine excitement for carrot cake.
Speaker 1: All right, man, what a weekend we have had.
Speaker 2: Let me get the news stack here.
Speaker 4: It's under the carrot cake.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a big carry cake covers everything up, crane.
Speaker 4: Cheese, frosting off your hands. There you go.
Speaker 2: No, I had mine in my refrigerator because I ordered I told you a few days ago. I had lench over it, Stonefried grill, and I brought home one of the big ones that'll be going for a week, and that's every night or now.
Speaker 4: Every got more self control than me.
Speaker 1: I certainly do. All right, guys, are you ready to do it?
Speaker 3: Yep?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes on that, yes, yes, yes, it's time for Handle on the News with Amy neil Me lead story.
Speaker 1: Everybody.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, as I told you, we're in for a ride. Starting January twentieth, we are in for a ride. And this is another one in the saga of Donald Trump.
Speaker 1: And we're only a week in, what ten days in?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so this one has to do with the tariffs that were promised, and he came through on the terraffs. But the interesting part of it that I think is he comes in and says, by January twentieth of the following year of twenty twenty six, prices will be halved half of what we're paying.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Well, now, with the raising of the tariffs, prices are going up, because that's what tariffs do. Prices go up dramatically. And now he is saying.
Speaker 1: Well, people will understand.
Speaker 2: Okay, maybe they will, maybe they will the promise Trump's going to lower prices. Now the prices are going to raise because he is raising them and he is by tariffs. And it's a little complicated because it's not just let's go raise prices. I mean, there is a method to his madness, if you want to call it madness. He wants to long term create American workers, have more factories here, all of which in the long term may very well happen, but we're going to suffer.
Speaker 1: We're going to suffer. We're going to pay for it. And he is for the first time admitted.
Speaker 2: Americans could feel some pain as these tariffs skick in.
Speaker 1: You said you were going to lower the prices.
Speaker 2: Well, the prices are going to go up and you're gonna feel some pain. And I wish there was a little bit of honesty here, but there can't be, of course, when you're running for office. This reminds me of the big big pharmaceuticals when they were testifying in Congress against lowering prices for those ten or twelve big Medicare contracts. Looked at the senators and said, lowering prices is bad for the consumer.
Speaker 1: Keeping them high is good for you.
Speaker 2: Here's Trump. I promised you prices will go down. Okay, I've made a decision that prices are going to go up. But you will understand.
Speaker 4: You know what this You always put me in a position to be an apologist for him, and I do not want to, but I want to insert some logic. Those are two very different things, because one should be assumed. You should assume that if tariffs are instituted, that prices are going to go up.
Speaker 1: No, absolutely not, absolutely not.
Speaker 2: Because Trump did a fabulous job of saying that tariffs are coming in and they will prices will go down when he becomes president.
Speaker 4: With tariffs, this is surgery. We have gone so far away from the path of keeping America in a state of strength that we there's the only way you can make a difference. Hold on is are you in pain?
Speaker 2: Are you talking about the strongest economy on the planet by a long shot?
Speaker 1: Are you talking about full employment? Are you talking about the biggest military? Where am I missing here?
Speaker 4: We have lost? Try Our military continues to shrink as far as individual troops, and you know it, there are issues that we have that aren't just numbers. That's all.
Speaker 1: Okay, let me ask you something.
Speaker 2: Assuming that's true, what does that have to do with tariffs and prices going up?
Speaker 4: And connecting point is we have we have left the United States for cheaper places. If we're gonna do anything about it, we have to reverse that. And to reverse that's gonna be painful.
Speaker 2: Listen, by the way, Ron Reagan said the same thing with inflation. It's gonna hurt more than it is going to It's gonna it's gonna hurt more than it is going that in the short term.
Speaker 4: Here's the constitution, here's the difference.
Speaker 2: He didn't say, uh, inflation is good. He didn't say like Trump said, I Am going to cut prices. I'm gonna do it by tariffs. They will cut prices. You will not be paying as much. Comes into office signs the tariffs. Oh, by the way, prices are actually gonna go up. But uh, it's good for you, and you'll know that's my problem. I don't care long term, and this is a long term issue. By the way, long term issue. Biden was caught up in. This is going on for decades. Just don't lie to me. Please don't tell me that around is square. Please don't tell me it's raining when the sun is out there.
Speaker 4: Don't tell me that Biden is mentally fit. We just have to do it. I must have to do with saying that they're politicians. We heard that forever.
Speaker 2: At some point a politician, a president has to tell us the truth is that where are you saying that's impossible?
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: So when we say prices go up, uh, and he says that's not true, do you think that people go, oh.
Speaker 1: You're right, you're right.
Speaker 2: I just pay thirteen dollars for a dozert eggs. It used to be six dollars. But prices have not gone up because you told me that it hasn't.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: It's there's the reality. That is the reality on its face. Now I'm going to talk later on about the long term implications. That is important because that if we're willing to suck it up for two or three years, that may be the case long term. But don't talk to me about how my prices are going to go down immediately when I become or when you become president, and then why they go up.
Speaker 1: But wait a second, it's good that they go up. Ignore what I said.
Speaker 2: That's my bitch, Okay, And then we'll talk more about long term on this, because it is really interesting.
Speaker 1: We're trying to get hold of my partner, Savill.
Speaker 2: You know, I have that business with him, that Cookwaar business where we import cookwar and it is we're caught up right in the middle of this tariffs, I mean right now, and we're scrambling and this is what a lot of companies are doing. I'm trying to get him on this morning if we can. Good friend Neil of course knows him, has forever. Okay, we're coming back. I'm already excited. I'm already exercised.
Speaker 4: Now Amy our neighbors slap back.
Speaker 3: Trump signed executive orders placing twenty five percent tariffs on imported goods from Mexico and from Canada, also a ten percent extra rate on Canadian energy products, and then he also imposed a ten percent tax on all imports from China, Mexico and Canada. Almost immediately responded and said, yeah, well we're gonna tear if you back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, trade wars. You know, my dad's bigger than your dad.
Speaker 2: No, no he's not. My dad is bigger than your dad. No, No, it's the other way around. Tit for tat back and forth.
Speaker 4: Does that mean that it's going to be more expensive to go see a Ryan Ryan Reynolds movie or I hope that does fentanyl go up?
Speaker 2: Uh? That's it, that's it, Yeah, because fentanyl is going to be closed down because Trump is arguing what the big reason for Mexico two reasons, illegal immigration, fentanyl. Uh, and and he's hitting the tariffs and we'll talk more about that, because man, it's going to hit Everybody's.
Speaker 1: Gonna hit everybody in uh, in Canada, It's can hit everybody in Mexico. Because we have a world economy.
Speaker 2: Now, that's the problem when that people talk about we shouldn't have borders those people financially economically, we really don't. However, we do now and we'll talk more about this. It's it's just going to start to This is going to be on the table.
Speaker 1: For a while.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it spreads everywhere. Last night, yet thousands of people marching in downtown Los Angeles, closing off the one to one freeway, causing major gridlock. What were they doing? They were protesting ice and the mass deportations that Trump has signed into orders.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, why do these people think that somehow blocking the freeway is in any way going to get me more on their side or somehow help their cause.
Speaker 1: What it's not like we don't already know what the issue is.
Speaker 2: This is when there should be an exemption under the law about running over people with eighteen wheelers, there has to be an exemption.
Speaker 4: Well, that doesn't solve anything.
Speaker 1: But oh it souls plenty because the freeways open at that point.
Speaker 4: You do got to wonder why it's not just straight up illegal to what run over people with an aho wheeler out in the middle of the freeway.
Speaker 1: It is illegal to anybody what.
Speaker 3: They didn't arrest anybody.
Speaker 1: They don't why would they arrest anybody?
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, arresting thirty thousand people is a little bit problematic, but it's when you have enough.
Speaker 1: Numbers, what are you gonna do twenty thousand people on the freeway? Who do you accept expect to enforce that?
Speaker 2: Why don't you go with a bullhorn and say, hey, we're gonna go eeny meeni mini mo, and then just start grabbing people at random, saying okay, you want to be picked up.
Speaker 1: Oh, by the way, it han't be just a slight misdemeanor. It has to be twenty five years to life.
Speaker 2: And then people can think, all right, maybe I shouldn't block a freeway. I feel pretty strongly about getting I feel pretty strongly about freeways being blocked off.
Speaker 4: The scoop planes for yeah, for water.
Speaker 3: Okay, with that, the delicate operation to raise the wreckage is getting underway. The US Army Corps of Engineers is expected to begin operations today to remove the fuselage of the plane and the helicopter from the potent Potomac Potona.
Speaker 1: You're just going to sound like me, jesu.
Speaker 4: Wow, you just got corrected. By handle on it.
Speaker 1: That's okay, that's a problem. I know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so much of the rivers still off limits, and they've been attempting to lift the fuselage and have found more bodies. They say it's going to take three days to get all of the plane out of the off out of the water. They've identified fifty five of the sixty seven people killed in the crash.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they'll identify all of them, but some of them are caught up in the wreckage, and that makes recovery much more difficult because they have to be very cognizant that there are lost human beings there. And the investigation is now continuing, and everybody, especially the NTSB, is saying, hey, let's not rush the judgment here because we're immediately saying it's the helicopter's fault. But yesterday, if you heard the guy who is head of the NTSB, who is the lead investigator they've got they're getting.
Speaker 1: Two different kinds of readings.
Speaker 2: One says the helicopter is at I think three hundred and fifty feet. The other, and these are the recorders on the plane as well as the helicopter, say it was a little over two hundred feet and they have to reconcile them because this is not unusual.
Speaker 1: It shows different readings.
Speaker 2: It's a little more complicated than just oh, the helicopter was at you know, three hundred and fifty feet and was supposed to be a two hundred feet and the airplane was doing everything it should have, which it was. By the way, the aircraft was landing, followed the instructions from the tower.
Speaker 4: All right, no one sees the wizard, no way know how. Two top security officials at the US Agency for International Development were put on administrative leaves Saturday night because they refused officials from Elon Musk's new Department of Government Efficiency confusion. I don't know, maybe they wanted it looks like maybe they wanted access to some classified information, which they got they finally did. But do they have security clearance? No?
Speaker 2: This is and that's really weird because certain areas the government don't have security clearance others. The only person that has security clearance in anything he wants, of course, as.
Speaker 1: The president, absolute security clearance as to anything.
Speaker 2: So although in certain cases the CIA doesn't even give the president access.
Speaker 1: And it's really a weird situation. But legally it's of course he's the head of state.
Speaker 2: So Musco's in there, and you're gonna find, uh that just entire agencies are going to be wiped out. For example, US AID is they put that on hold. Foreign Aid has been stopped. You got kids that are starving, you know that rely on this and they're eating sand.
Speaker 1: Now it's it's.
Speaker 2: And it's not because by the way that the administration wants kids to starve. It's uh, the the appearance as far as the administration is concerned. Learn that there's fraud, there's waste, and money's being thrown away, and there's a bunch of allegations being thrown that way.
Speaker 1: So we're going to go through that one too. Things are changing, Boy, things are changing.
Speaker 3: Dow's taking a dive. US doock market futures plunged yesterday after Trump announced those twenty five percent tariffs on Canada and Mexico in ten percent on China. The Dow futures were down more than six hundred points as trading got ready to open. And now the market is open and trading is down for the Dow four hundred ninety points and the Nasdaq is off three sixty nine.
Speaker 2: We'll see what happens at the end of the day. But it's it's going to cost some real, real financial strain. There's no question tariffs, particularly a trade war, is going to be tough.
Speaker 1: It really is.
Speaker 4: Well handful of days in office, still a lot of shakeup. As we've been pointing out this morning, this time when it comes to DEI and the order from President Donald Trump, you have dozens of US Department of Education officials suddenly put on paid administrative administrative leave rather on Friday night. The employees worked in multiple offices across the agency, including civil rights attorneys. You have public relations I specialists, all kinds of folks that have been put on leave.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the union said.
Speaker 2: That even these people will help students defrauded by colleges. So it's a question of getting rid of fraud by getting rid of the people who.
Speaker 1: Are trying to get rid of fraud. It's a little complicated.
Speaker 2: Although the administration said the leave placement is not being done for any disciplinary purpose, but was pursuant to that executive order.
Speaker 1: So no one is accused of any wrongdoing.
Speaker 2: It's a question they were involved in programs that the executive order has now said are gone.
Speaker 3: Ooh oh, say, can you you see Canadians booing the USA fans at a Toronto Raptors game. Continued A. Well, they're calling it an emerging trend of booing national anthem singers at sporting events. Similar reactions broke out at NHL games on Saturday night in Ottawa, Ontario and Calgary, Alberta, hours after President Trump made his announcement that threats would be imposed against Canada.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now here's the question is of all the games that you can boo of sporting events, why would you based on the EI orders, et cetera, why would you boo the Star Spangled banner at a hockey game when all.
Speaker 1: The players are white? What does that have to do with A because there's no DEI, there's.
Speaker 4: No inclusion, that tariffs.
Speaker 1: I missed that, okay, got it? Okay.
Speaker 2: I just thought it was a question of, you know, DI and inclusion and diversity, and there is no diversity. There is no inclusion in hockey games. No.
Speaker 4: There was a bunch of Latinos there booing the ice.
Speaker 1: That's because it's white.
Speaker 4: No, because it's icy ice.
Speaker 2: Oh, I thought they were doing the ice itself because it's white.
Speaker 4: I know, ic ice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that works.
Speaker 4: Immigration and oh.
Speaker 2: Okay, not the okay, I got that. I thought it was the cold. Never mind, I was off on a handle tangent.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's just water.
Speaker 4: The odds, what are the odds? All right? Parts of gosh, you know what, so much confusion going on. Parts of the Pacific Coast Highway reopened Sunday. You have the Mayor's office coming out really pushing this, and then there's this three mile stretch that's still closed and it caused some confusion. So apparently people can get through the Malibu area area, they just can't go through PCH all the way unless they have that, you know, resident access pass or a contractor's access pass, just in.
Speaker 2: Case you want to put a tent up on your on the piece of land that used to be your home.
Speaker 4: Man, I can't even imagine. Have you seen those pictures.
Speaker 2: It's just people go through and they're going through what I mean, they're looking for rings, They're looking for something that's some tiny memento.
Speaker 1: I mean, it is heartbreaking.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you. I don't know why, but I'm affected. I know the Palisades and I've been out there, of course, but Alta Dina Man. That just I don't know if it's the age of the homes and the history of that area.
Speaker 1: Also because it's a it's a there's a lot of politics or well, I'm not going to say observe politics. I've got to say the accusation.
Speaker 2: There were politics involved there, and that is alta. Dina was a mixed race primarily in many cases, entire little neighborhoods were Black families that have been there for generations that got nailed in terms of the response far more than the Palisades. So there is an argument there, although you know the Palisades were wiped out too, so it almost matter.
Speaker 4: It's the history of it's all lost and they get it, but it's the history about the DNA and those old homes.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, it's one of the few black communities.
Speaker 2: It's like Baldwin Hills that is traditionally African American where it's you know, African Americans were not welcome in Beverly Hills or the San Frano Valley or parts of Los Angeles. I mean it used to be a very racist place southern California where these black neighborhoods were limited to Black people were limited to black neighborhoods African Americans, and this is wiped out and it's a big, big part of history.
Speaker 1: Palisades are not history.
Speaker 2: Palisades are just well, a bunch of people that have a bunch of money that bought great houses.
Speaker 1: There's not real history in the Palisades.
Speaker 4: That's my point. It's just I mean, it's all but yet just the history. Yeah, I tend to agree with that. I tend to agree.
Speaker 3: Panama kind of admits it was breaking the rules. Panama's president reiterated yesterday during a meeting with Marco Rubio that they're not giving up the canal. That's not up for debate because you know Trump's been talking about it. Hey, we might take it back. But President Raoul Molino said that Panama would not renew a twenty seventeen memorandum of understanding to join China's overseas development initiative known as the Belt and Road, and also suggested that they just might end that deal with China little early.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's really interesting.
Speaker 2: First of all, the accusation that the Chinese control the canal, they don't. Chinese have two ports, and other countries, including United States, also have ports. Along the canal because it's obviously a huge shipping areas, one of the world's premier shipping areas. Chinese are one of many countries that have ports. The fact, the accusation that the United States is being charged more for its shipping through the canal, that's not true.
Speaker 1: According to Panama.
Speaker 2: According to the canal, there's a bridge that is going across the canal that is being built by the Chinese, and that's what the Amy is referring to, is that they're going to not continue on or will halt the continuation of that arrangement. So it's one of those things where the president says and.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's ridiculous, is ridiculous, look at what he's doing. And you know what a lot of it is working.
Speaker 2: Canada cave the first time around, Columbia caved, and we'll talk about that simply on the President saying, if you don't do this, okay, So here's another one.
Speaker 1: But Panama Canal will not go to the United States. By the way, it was.
Speaker 2: Carter who gave them the canal. But then the argument is the United States was going to own it forever. Yes, by theay, you know who was born in the Panamunt Canal District, the territory. Who ran for President John McCain, And there was an argument whether McCain or not was born in the United States, and he was always I remember that, yep. And he was born in the Canal Zone. His dad was there when he was born. America, America, American Territory.
Speaker 1: Not anymore.
Speaker 4: Speaking of Jimmy Carter, he just want to Grammy, God bless him. Did you hear a speech?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I did.
Speaker 2: And the Grammy itself, the gramm itself where it was.
Speaker 1: Who was it who introduced that?
Speaker 2: The National Association for the Deaf promoted his win and it worked out beautifully because you couldn't hear him because he's dead, Just like you said.
Speaker 4: Yeah, posthumous Grammy four Sunday School Lessons recording. He beat out Barbara Streissan and Dolly Parton.
Speaker 1: Yeah, spoken word, you know, speeches or whatever.
Speaker 4: I didn't think he was singing.
Speaker 1: No, he was, and it was happened to be some of his what he did in church. Yeah, you've been listening to the Bill Handle Show.
Speaker 2: Catch My Show Monday through Friday, six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.