Speaker 1: Welcome to Jewish History Uncensored with Mark Shapiro. This is season sixteen, episode thirty eight.
Speaker 2: The Hey, let me say before we start that I watched Rabbi Weider his last of his five classes, and I think that our Monday night classes inspired that because I kept quoting him, and I think that's when I think. So, that's when Mike Kellman said we should have him. And I have to say, it's a tour de force what he did five classes. There's nothing like it online, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: As I told him after already the first class, I said, I'm never laying again because you see the expertise. That be a really excellent Paul Corey.
Speaker 1: Wow, what you got to know?
Speaker 2: So I think I think at least that we inspired it here. If we didn't, but but I think we did, so that's great. Okay, everyone, just a couple of things. So we got great stuff. As always, I just want to correct something I spent with Michelle m Roth. It was the little he was Rabbi and Schernovitz. It was in love love that. Uh. He had to withdraw if his miss RACKI involvement if he wanted it. I mentioned Ibn t Bone here's a famous guide for the perplexus translation. And I said that some words he invented. If you look in the back, it's he has parish, Miami, loved zarrot. And just to give you a couple of words that it been t Bone invented. You might be spread see your as meaning like imagination. But also marcause we all know the word marcause center that was that's that's I been t Bone. You we have the root rache commons, clubs are you and uh, that's one of the words that he invented, so you can check that out. Let me put this over here. Okay, someone uh, I think she walls his name wrote me an email. We have lots of people listening in the old classes and he wants to know. You know, we we those who were with us in the early classes. We did a lot on tiktook and all sorts of interesting stuff. Wea, I think it's interesting. I just think it's interesting. I know Suzanna thinks it's interesting and looking at it. But he wants to know, first of all, well what is this? Isn't this just for the star name? And do utganize him really care? And he says, does God really care. I said, well, first of all, I wasn'ta do is God carry God knows what we're doing. But if it's you're supposed to pronounce it properly. If I tell you that President Beaton, you know who I'm referring to what I'm mispronouncing his name. But then he said, but he's been yeshiva. Do any organizing really care about this anymore? And the truth is he's probably right. You most find this in the Starduk world, but not exclusively. I mean Revoko Kamenetsky felt it important by the historically you have, you have your Veka venden shopped I sofa, and you have the Gro the villain ne Go. So of course this has been important in the Ashkenazic world. And I want to show you people something now which I didn't share with him, but i'll I just want to call your attention to it. There's a book called aliol Yahu which was written about I think it was published in the eighteen fifties by Shush eleven. It's a hagiography of the Gro the Villainago, and this is the new edition. It's on page ninety six. I want you to look in the note here Note seventy five. It says as follows that the the dav based in the Rabbi of the city of ky Down in Lithuania told me that when the Villa Nego was in his youth, he came to kay Done and he was there making sure that the children will learn and the tamatoa, and especially that they learn the difference between mila ale and Mila rah. That what we spoke about, that is words that the syllable is the penultimate, the second to the end versus the the end, so that they can pronounce it properly. And then he said his follows, and let's see if anyone can figure out what this means and type it in in the chat. If you do know uvashol kamar. And jokingly, the gross said, kila to some lo amrue de var ms malan. The gross says, based upon what you know how the kids sound, lo amrue davar emmet emettlam lo i'm rudvar ms. What does he mean? Anyone know when he says that the children lo amrue davara what the gross means here? Any anyone have an idea? If not, I'll explain it to you. What he means, it's the it's the villainigones joking. Lo He says about these children, low amrud ms. It's a big Oh. Let me see here, got to see the chat here, No, no, no, I got it. Okay. What he means is as follows. Uh. Oh, so one more person sent it in. Let's see, uh no, uh. What it means is as follows. They were pronouncing the word ms, but it's supposed to be pronounced ms or in spartak M but ms. So when he says lo amru devar ms lilm, they never spoke truth. He's playing on that expression that appears to off the rms because they never said ms. They only said ms. So that was the film. And remember it. She just said before that they have to learn the difference in ra and he joked and said, until now, they've never said the vr ms or MS. I don't know how he pronounced it in their life, because they always they would say ms. They would say, they would always get the words wrong. So that's the first thing I want to show you head. That was a schmoos homo to turn that off to. So you're as can Isaac Roscha Yeshivas. Incidentally, I found. Also, the Beni Schai says the same. We spoke about the gra, and I'm going to bring you some stuff about the girls in a future class. But the Beni Schai also uses the word I found hazot. I was hazot. He has a whole thing about this, and so it's not just the gra. Okay, someone emailed me about the dancing, the Young Israel dancing, So I don't want to get too much into this, but let me show you something else. I just googled it, and what comes up from nineteen thirty four October an article from the JTA the Young Israel Bronx Gardens was having their annual dance. But then, and of course we all know this is common, this is popular. But then as I'm googling looking around, I come across an article by the indefatigable zev Ellith a touchy subject, a short history of the rise and fall of Orthodox social dancing. So you can read all you want on it. But he pointed out something I didn't know, which is fascinating. If you recall we get rid of this. We spoke about the Masmid, which is the Yeshiva college yearbook. So here we have the masmid from nineteen thirty six, and if you look at it, you see all sorts of great stuff. Here, by the way, is the tennis team at Yeshiva College in nineteen thirty six. If you look at the pictures, you see the guys didn't wear yamakas when you were outside. It's sort of like this German yucky idea that only have to wear it inside, because there's plenty of pictures where they don't have it. Oh and he has a picture of mo Fiorstein for those people from Boston who I mentioned before, he was in that graduating class. But what zev Elif called attention to is a couple of pages before on this on Yeshiva College yearbook talks about how the junior year. Take a look at this, the junior class. Last year in the class had the first social affair, a dance at the Peter Stuyvesant Hotel. What I can assure you of, without any fear of being contradicting, is the Yeshiva College now is not having dances and not putting in the yearbook, and it never would be allowed. But in nineteen thirty six, there you go. Thank you zev Lf for taking us down memory lage. One more thing I want to share with you, guys. I was reading, I was reading. This book just came out because we're talking a lot about today about revma Zoo's in the next few weeks, Covitz Mamari two volumes of articles, all sorts of great stuff and volume let's see it's in volume one, page three eighty six. He says he gets back to the idea of the rambam that we were speaking about against anthropomorphisms, and he quotes from a book by one of the most strange and interesting people we've had. He's got to show you this picture. Some of you will know this person. There. He is Rafaul halpern was a rabbi. He grew up. He was very close to the has even wrote a book about the Hash and his relationship. But he became a wrestler, like a fake wrestler. You can see here's a picture of him. You see in his he used to wear a star of David. You can even see a video of him. Let's see hold on a second of him wrestling. He was a firm guy. Here he is Rafaul Helper And again after he retired from wrestling, he had a couple of businesses, and he wrote a number of story including a safer on a very like three volumes. I think on Rashi every because he was descended from Rashi. Everything you wanted about Rashi, and he wrote all sorts of good stuff, so you can look him up later. Well, oh, before we go further, I want to show you this is uh. Well, I'll get back to him in a second day after I do. Rafael Helper so he wrote a Peyrish on Lemish, and he wrote a Pairish. And the people who are older probably remember Rafael Hopper, and he gave a lot of pride. He was mister Israel, the Russell, the wrestling rabbi, all these sorts of things. But he wrote a Pyriish called d Yukimbatra, and then volume one, page twenty six, he asks. He writes that he speaks about the Kida skitstock. It says there's a mid rush, that the angels their tears fell into the eyes of Getzuck. So he asked the question, now, well, how is that possible? Angels? Uh don't have tears? Uh? There do angels have tears? And Rabbi Mazous in his commentary and his article says about this. He he calls them Mahacham Helper and with Zau. But then he says to him, I don't get the question. And if angels had tears, they still would be falling in it's eyes at the angels far up. And he goes off. He goes, how would the angel how would the tears have come from all the way up in heaven? And and then he says, he says, if Helper, Rabbi Helper would actually study made Luma and really understand and respect the Rumbam, he wouldn't have any of these problems because he'd understand that all these things about these are all Marshalomlisa, that the sages are not speaking literally when they say that they just have tears where the tears falling. You wouldn't have these questions, he says, if you weren't a little round bomb. You know that all these anthropomorphisms that don't just refer to God, they refer to the angels. You don't ask questions like this because you missed the whole point. And that's that's what he says about Helper. You know, there's another from an Orthodox family strong man. Any want to ever hear of this guy? Is this a Breidbart He was known as the strongest man in the world. He comes from an Orthodox family. They even made a movie about him in Vincible in two thousand and one. You can read all about him in many places. I'm evo he I'm gonna sell you something else. Now you know he was buried. He and here's his tombstone as you can see it that well. He was buried in the Adasistral Cemetery in Berlin. I've been going to Berlin before COVID all the time since nineteen ninety. The first time I was there in nineteen ninety when it was still East Germany. I even knocked down a piece of the wall, which if I was home, i'd show you. But he's from the Audas community, the Orthodox. It's really hold the summer c Huffman. In fact, in the cemetery, Huffman's bared Avvermelio Kaplins buried. And I don't know if you read it, it says it says our bank Covodemo big vu ratav Oh. No, you know he had all this string. So that's this Breitbart probably Andrew Breitbart from Breitbart News. He was adopted. He wasn't Jewish, although he's adopted by Jewish parents. They maybe they converted him. I don't never heard they converted for Orthodox, but maybe he's descended. And the last thing I want to show you before we begin, because I forgot to mention, is about the dancing. Is this is Rabbi Solomon Maimo, who was a rabbi in Seattle. He just died like last year and I think age one hundred. He's the first the Sarda k musmach as far as I know, from Yeshiva College going back to the early forties, I believe. And he gave it with sons, you know, a Reiti type education. Didn't even send them to Yu to Mta, sent them to the Kardi schools. But he gave an interview shortly before he died the secret to a successful Sparta community, and he says as follows, and he said it. He didn't just do it, he actually spoke about it. I'll just read it to you. Members of Seattle's starta community occasionally reflect on a time when synagogues held dances for the youth, something taboo today, whereby my mon wasn't sure that co ed programming was right, but he knew it was what he had to do to get the kids coming back. He offered a story about a Sukkote event where he ordered the youth to go to a dance in the social hall. I'm going to lock it and nobody gets out until they have a date, he recalled. That's what happened. They came for Sukkote, they got a date, they had a dance afterwards, and we served them good stuff. It's a powerful example the rabbi meeting the community where it was and seeking a creative solution to the never ending problem of Jewish dating. A young kipper. I repented, he said, I told God, I'm wrong, but you put me in charge here, and I say I have to do wrong to get right. It's going to bring them to marry each other. And that's what they did. So listen. I'm not again, I'm not the posting or anything, but it's it's easy to sit where we are in a very different world and look at things. But that's uh, that's what he did instantly. Some have when I gave back Posish brit bright part, I say I wrote something down. He came in nineteen twenty three on an American tour, and he was called Superman of the Ages, and some think that he inspired the Jewish people who created Superman. He inspired him. Okay, everyone, let us now pick up. We are in the safe air Simon age two ninety three, and I need to tell you, well, it'll give you a little back around to what we're doing now, because the title of the letter is well, first of all, it's defaut Jahad, the persecution of the Jahad movement, and then the ukme butsuki, my dear Rishon Rashoni who quote biblical verses inaccurately. But first, what is yahad? Yahad ravvadio? Safe passes away in twenty thirteen and shortly after that about a little more than a year to being in twenty fifteen years of new elections for the Israeli Knesset. Ariy a Derry who was corrupt, probably still is corrupt. He went to jail. When he went to jail, l e Yeshai. He was really a simple person. He's not atoma haak. He's not a rabbi like Darry in the army, but a very honest, low key sort of person. He ran shas with and there never was a hint of scandal with him and Shas has had a problem. They've had a lot of people serving time. But when Rydarry gets out whatever it is, Revivdi was convinced that he did his time okay to allow him back in to run the show, and he was then exiled as it were, lay Shy because he couldn't work with R. E. Darry. So when the Kinnissan elections were going to be in twenty fifteen, Yeshai came up with an idea plan that he would start a new party. The question was who's the I guess the who's carrying on the message of audio Safe? Is it the Shots party which is now basically have run by Shann Cohen and David yo Safe and which really became completely Harry d They thought as I mentioned before of show, mon Cohen said, all sorts of crazy things. He called the people where keep us through guz as as a mulch he referred to. He said, we don't need an army, all we need is to feel I mean all sorts of unbelievable stuff. Well, Eli Yishai wants to be back in Kanesse, so he comes up with the idea that he's going to create a coalition, a coalition of people Swardin who are fed up with Shats because it doesn't represent them. Obviously, Sha Swardim support the army, things like that, and also the right wing religious Zionists, the what we call the card Delhi and he means both sides of the Hardli, the the the revavin Air types or the Mamachtis and also re Vodovor types who are we don't call them ma Machti, but the all the herd. And he thought that this could be a nice winning coalition. The problem was that not all the hard Wi went along, some went with another party. But for a while it looked like this would be a very powerful party and they would get in and everyone was building up of mazous as the next Maron. In fact, they made they made the movies, they made videos, and there was all sorts of discussions because there was no real, I guess, charismatic person in shots. The question was, though, would they would the fact that this is Ravadio Saf's party, even if he's not here anymore, would there still be the nostalgia and the loyalty because the only reason the Shas Party got so many people is because traditional Spardi were not really orthodox we think of it. They voted for him. So let me just show you some of the things that came out. It was a very dirty election. The Shots party does all sorts of dirty tricks. Uh. We don't need to get involved with them in a minute, but let me just show you just to give you an example of how they portrayed. So here is here's one of the movie they made three to two like movies and their videos, and the idea was to make portray re of Mazous and there for obviously the uh, the show the Yaha Party as the true successor to the Shas Party. It's like today agudasicerral in Israel, they say yadas atarah or dego a toro that that's the truth. Before there was a joint that dego a Torah that's the true successor to the Gouda Cisuro because the god Cestra split. So here I'll just play for you for just to get a sense of how they were trying to out like a cult of personality. I guess you could say rose up around Rev. Mazous and they were going to use him. Because what happened was that Eli Yeshai. He went to Rubbi Mazus, he's Tunisian himself, that Rev. Mazous would be the leader, and they convinced of Mazous to leave the base managers. Every day he was going speaking at different places. It's a brah that the Yaha party never passed. They they got one hundred and twenty three thousand votes. They never they If ten thousand more, they would have been in the Knesset. But it's really a brahra because we don't want the go go. We might think of being involved in politics every day. They should be spending their time learning Torah and giving, sharing and writing. But they close. It showed I guess the weakness of the hardline that they couldn't Uh, they couldn't pull through. But here's first time. Here's one of the videos, so you see it's obviously and it's a whole video. You can watch it.
Speaker 4: They came up with another video also, Uh, actually that's.
Speaker 2: Just a song, not a video. And then there was a third one who has three songs written about them. I don't know of any songs that are even as. But the two Nisians are very attached to Rabbi mazous and uh so this is another song that came out. This was after the election. No, but I like the song, so if you want later you can listen to some of the music. But it became, as I said, very dirty the election. And this was when during the election video came out of Revot You're safe speaking to his people about how uh the stupidity of Aridari really knocking him. But uh, we don't know who released that. Obviously someone from the family, but it became a guy I said, quite a dirty election, and Yitzak Yosef Choletzion, who in my book of there's letters from him, he really came out very strongly against Romamazu. Spardak society was split and remains split. There's two, I guess, circles in the Stardak world. You have Rebmazus the leader of one with rev Amar, Shomo Amar and many other rabbis, and then you have Rasheum Cohen via jose from Dovid Yosef on the other side. And there really the Sparta community is split. The Yahad party its whole point was Yahad that we're all together. They took out Ads with a kipastruga and a black Keepa, and Revmazus said that Shas the Shas party should stand for shin black shahar keepa and also keep us thruga Sama. So they tried to uh have this unity. But I want to play you now just for a minute, if you if you understand Hebrew, you'll hear what reviews like Jo say says about Rabbi Mazous and you get a sense of how bitter this has become and remains really to this day's And I'll translate afterwards. Modan is.
Speaker 5: Yeslon the coscution they.
Speaker 2: Called him. Yeah, I just want.
Speaker 3: Mother.
Speaker 2: So from the standpoint of the the revavadiof Son, the whole approach of the Mazuz is to uproot the sakim of the ravvad Yo safe Now it's not true, it is not true. And in the Krai Mishiva, this only Shiva in the world where they study as a satr the Abia oh Mayer. And when all these other Russhi Yashiva were attacking ravad Yo Sef, it was only in Ram that they supported him. Ravadiosef was the president of Ishiva Kram. However, it is true there of Masus does not acceptakim and he doesn't accept all of his views.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: In political matters, Rabbi Mazus never became a was never on the Mosas of Comentaur of the Shas Party because he never agreed with the the the Duvish positions of ravavad Yose. But he wouldn't uh disagree with him publicly. Never. But he couldn't be on the Moetza Kadola of the Shas Party because they give the rubber stamp to everything Kramava yos does. So the Shas Party, for instance, abstain from OSLO of Mazuza very opposed to OSLO accords, so he couldn't be on the Moetzas lachman Towa. But he never publicly opposed him, and he did not ever publicly oppose any sachem of Khamavadyosaf. That's I guess you could say, that's a great uh you know respect. However, once Thekhamavadiosif was nftar, he doesn't feel that he needs to follow everything he says, and therefore he will tell he will give his sucking and he will. He's a right winger, he's a Haukist person and this this great you know, being Mavaktel himself was only during his lifetime. So when Akam it's not Josef says that they are trying to uproot the heritage, it's not true, but there is some truth to that, because why should the Tunisians and why should the Moroccans be bound Tom Khamova yousef uh forever? And uh So, yes, when they speak about how Rajaman, you know he's the he's hasn't been someone like him on hundreds of years, you can see that they'd be upset. Uh So that that's and it was a very bitter election. So after the election was lost by the ak party. Look, if I was an israel I don't think i'd vote for the Akha party, even though I consider him my rabbi of sorts, uh because politically it doesn't align with me. I don't think a little too right wing, and I don't like the rabbis getting involved so much. But nevertheless, it was upsetting to see how bitter it became. They brought everything out in the kitchen sink. The Shas people took an old video of Abazusa which he attacks the Kabbad Messianis and they portrayed him as being opposed to all Chabadi and uh and it and their friend they brought it to far Rabbat so that they would not get any votes from the Labovicher's. They they brought up stuff at his liberal view of conversion to try to get I mean it was they they really, it's not good to see Bala Batim Mosconi trying to defame rabbis, but whatever it happens. So I wrote him a letter saying how upset I was to see that so called Orthodox Jews could fall to such a level where they engage in such behavior. Look, it's a rabbi. Masus was naive and a lot of people are naive. If you're good in politics, it's a rough and tumble, it's a dirty business. If you don't, you're not gonna end the gutter. Then, uh, you know you shouldn't be there. You need to you need to respond in kind. We know that negative advertising works. So I wrote him this, and then he writes back to me. This is in tamos of toughs and iron. Hey calls me the new hair car. He says, I haven't had time to respond to you too. Now, he says, from the from the election until now, they continue to persecute us and everyone who's an to us. They threw out students from yeshivos and and people studying in co Wel who we're working for Yaha, that's the way the Haredi work. They did it. They were also against the Pelag group for Aerbach. If you would work for a certain the other political party, they throw you out of their yeshivas. Khi to our reformy don't sniff my palm as if we're a reform group or a branch of Mapam. And despite this, Uh on the other hand, he says, for your laped, they show him a good face and they invite him to various events. Goodola Sinnim Haredi mata Harididim. He says that the hatred we've seen of the Haajing for other Harijim is worse than the hatred of the the secularists for the Haridime. And we know that is the case. The battles internal battles in the Haadi world, the way they fight with each other, it's worse than the way the secularists opposed the Haredim. There's no hate trede like you have in the Haidi world one to the other unfortunately. But then he says it's not going to help them. He quotes a plus from Judah Levy's poetry. So I think this is actually an important letter because after the election of Mazus gave one speech that I know of. You can see it on the Yeshiva website, in which he spoke about all the things they did and how despite that, we didn't go in the gutter with them, and we're very proud of the fact that we got one hundred and twenty thousand votes. I mean on hundred twenty thousand votes. Everyone said afterwards, though these are votes in the garbage, that these votes could have gone to one of the right wing parties. But as far as I know, this is the only written document where he reflects on the loss. So one day when they write the history of the Aha party and Eli Yeshi, I mean he's finished his poitical career, although he served honorably, But they will use this letter, I believe, and together with what I sent him, I also sent him. One of the ways Rabbi Masus was attacked, especially in the lead up to the election, is they argued that he has no respect for Godoli you or as they tried, they had to tear down the the leading figure the spiritual here, so they say he had so they wrote, they have these magazines that came out saying he has no respect for Godoley, exciting all the different things he said. And one of the things he said is that remazousa many talent places has pointed out that the Reshow name wrote many of their writings their books from memory. How do we know that? Because they misquote Sukim And there's plenty of examples of this in my book studies in my money's as interpreters. I haven't here, I don't have a copy here. I give examples, many, many examples, And I actually think this is a positive thing. It shows how brilliant they were, the Rumbaum and others, that they knew everything by heart, and they didn't copy it. They didn't bother looking. They just knew about heart. So they make little mistakes sometimes. What's the alternative? You want to say that they had a different version of Flemish? Is that more respectful? Uh? We saw the right got to come and estuly suggested that. But no, they were citing from memory and they but they use this to show that by Mazuza doesn't respect Goadol because he says that they make mistakes and no, I mean, what else you supposed to do there quoting a pusuka. Uh, it's incorrect, but they would. They made a whole big thing. So he writes to me, thank you very much for sending me all them a coro, because I sent him many many more Kim sukim. And then he says, even Mosher Abenu says, Shamati Vishakafti, if Mosher Abenu can make a mistake and say you say you forgot something, all the more so that other gadolis so uh. And this is this is important, the idea that you're gonna say that rashow you never miss quote Sukim. If you say that, then you're left to saying that they had different versions of kanaka and that that's definitely not the case. We see that the examples in Rashi, We see examples in the Rambam where they obviously were quoting from memory. Sometimes it's a manuscript issue and the misquote, like a Sotheok Verdakov, is only in the manuscript. But other times we have their their actual hand their handwriting, and uh so they cited from memory, as as Joseph given Cospi says, I cite this in my book. He says, you shouldn't be surprised by this. Do you think that every time this great Rabbi wants the quota pusle, he's going to go look it up and find it? They cited it. Maybe they assumed that the person who reads it will correct it if it's wrong. That's simon. This brings us the same and this goes back. This is one of the earliest letters. And I'm not I know why I wrote it, but I wasn't sure what the motivation was. I know I know what led up to her. I should say, we all know who Wagner is here. Let me the big anti Semiti, but the great composer, Let's see Yakov Cats. Yak of Cats wrote a whole book, The Darker Sye Genius Richard Wagner's anti Semitism. One of the issues that scholars look at is, uh is do you see the anti Semitism coming out in his music or anything like that. There were many Jews who were fans. I guess you could say of Wagner. Israel has never played Vonner the Symphony. They never played Vagner after the war because of the anti Semitism, the connection, of course the Holocaust. There's even a direct connection between Hitler and Wagner in that Wagner's son in law was Houston Stewart Chamberlain, who he married the daughter of Wagner, and he, as it says here, has been referred to as Hitler as John the Baptist. Hitler was very much inspired by him, came to see him. So although Wagner was not what you call a racial antisemitism, a racial anti Semite, that is, he hated Jews, but occasionally you can have a Jew that Wagner liked. But Wagner's music was raised during the Nazis to the heights of authority, and obviously Mendelssohn was degraded as Jewish music.
Speaker 1: Hm.
Speaker 2: I remember when Zubin Meda the the conductor. I believe that he was the conductor for the usual phil harmonica they put together. They wanted to Wagner and people they did it actually, and people got very angry. People sent back their season's tickets.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: Zubin Meda incidentally he's as I recall, he's a zoro Astrian that many of them left. That was the major religion in Babylonian the days of in the days of Krasal. But as I recall, check it now, Zubin just occurred to me, meda, is he he's writing me a director emeritus. Uh, yeah, he's. Uh, he's pretty positive that he's. Uh. If you look in if I look at Joe Zo Austrian famous people, let me just see quickly here, Yes, he comes up. Actually, you know the other one comes up, who's even more famous, Freddie Mercury. Freddie Merculey was a Zoorastrian. If you don't know what sire Astrian is, uh, check it out. But they people got very upset. So at the time Wagnder was in the news. If you're if you're a Jew, a good Jew, you won't uh. And and you're not religious religious Jews wouldn't do this. You wouldn't, for example, play this at your wedding. Do not see year as you couldn't even if you wanted to. But I would say, if you're a good Jew, you shouldn't blame mendosin't either, although he converted as a child, so you don't want to blame him. But still he's a mashumad. But uh, so one I think they play when they walk down the aisle, the other they play when they go back. I guess it's yeah, yeahs you joined together Wagner and the one he hated and despised Mendelssohn. But so I was interested what what Rabbi Mazous thought about the Wagner. I mean, why not, I'm not listen to Wagner. Happened to like Wagner when he would listen to one of the it's recorded one of the what he felt anti Semitic Arab musicians. He'd listen and he'd say, yeah, like but he listened to the music. But I wrote to him, and he writes back to me that, Uh, in general they're listening to music is problematic because the corbun we allow listening to music from the radio. But you know, so this Hatari but he says, niginos the music of this time in a Wagner, he says, she does user show it's it's forbidden. I'm very interested to know what the Orthodox did in Germany. Maybe uh, we have someone of long standing here from uh uh German Orthodox community Washington Heights growing up, if you ever heard anything Wagner, because there are Jews who listened to Wagner and her attitude was the fact that hates us. I still like his music. I don't know when the Orthodox world, if we all know they went to the opera, that they go to the Wagner opera, were they in that cult? Her crime? Cohen in his conversation with Michael shashar is, I think he mentions going to Wagner if I recall, but uh, I'd be curious to know about that. But he says it's it's us, sir, because because of the horbone, and you don't give a hectar, I guess for an anti Semite. Until he says, listen to this until God, uh, you know, punishes Germany for what the punishment they should receive. And then he says, as juchnasu among you, he says, then once they Germany receives its punishment, then these tunes could return to a place of holiness. I'm not sure what that means. I think what it means is that the punishment when Germany, it's like a capitalistic thing. After Germany receives its punishment, which will serve as a sort of catharsis, I guess, or a cleansing of a civil elements. So only the holy aspect, maybe the inspiration that you can be inspired from this music will be remain then be admissible. But this sounds like Underriff Cook would say, I was shocked, and I think that's what it means. Then once they're punished, once Germany receives its due, then the songs will be permissible. Whatever that means. I think it has some capitalistic significance. I don't know, but let's let's leave it at there. And then we moved to Simon Kouf mem age. This has a few things I'm not going to get into. One I wrote to him about there was a man named Dovid Casis and who wrote all these articles about the rabbis of Tunisia, and I wanted to ask him, who's the stuff at Kusis and and behold, he says all sorts of bad things. He was the menihal of the the Alian school in tunis So that caused all sorts of problems, led to a terrible spiritual decline. So I didn't know that, but that's interesting. And then I asked him the question, since he's so involved with Pute and Shirasafarad, what about the fact that we've mentioned already. You have these poems written by great figures, medieval figures, that homo eeronic poems deal with homosexuality. How is it that medieval Spanish poets so would write like this? And I'm not sure. No one's really sure what to make of it. I shouldn't say no one's worth a lot of people think. Some people think it was just their adopting a formula that the Arabs use, like sheare a sharing. It would be no difference if you write that they write also poems about pretty young girls. Also they say pretty young women. But in those days women was younger than it is today. So what to make of this? Listen, you can read all the scholarship on it shindling, and but Rabil Mozou says, Asasha have to think that any of the real Spanish poets were writing that. On the contrary, he cites them the work Takimony. There's ten songs they are cursing a certain evil one who did write like this. So he acknowledges that there was one person writing like this. But this is an evil one. But when you think in terms of the poets, the great poets people have mostly been Ezra and others who are I can't remember if he writes just about homo erotic stuff for just about women. But you have all these sorts of poems. He says that the hawkers Monday knew me here from their own here ayle we bomb they're writing about this, So then what what what do you do with these poems? He says that when they speak about the young uh Sikram, the young good looking man, it's just a nice young man, the ambodophie, and there's no problem with it. But uh, maybe yes, maybe no, I don't know. Uh they you know, they do have poems though where they write about wine, they write about women, they write about men. There's all sorts of weird stuff going on, and I'm prepared to accept that this is just a genre, just like share a sharing you is a genre. You you adopt that sort of language as a sort of side. That was how they wrote poetry. So uh, I understand that today we never would write like that, but they were think in a different environment, and it's hard to imagine that poets within an Orthodox society would publicly write about forbidden desires and things like that. It still was a community, which you know, the rabbis had certain control with the community leaders. They didn't allow just have carus. I mean, you had problems obviously, you know in Spain they had problems. They had all sorts of problems with men living with concubines and things like that. But to have people writing about it, it's it's an issue, though I don't really know what to do. If there's one answer that can solve all these problems, I think I think Raymond Schinlan, I think assumes that these are real reflections of what people were thinking, which is fine about some things you don't know. But when you have she a hole of people are given by rawl, even Ezras and others. It's hard to know what to make of this. But that is just a short letter. We can't really go into it in detail because I don't I don't really know enough about it. This is and I don't know what to make of it. And then I asked him a different question that there was a huge issue in the name Brock about this, but others have written about it. A rabbi named from yeshivas Raka named Rabimosha Levy unfortunately died young. He wrote, He died in his early forties, and he probably wrote like fifteen books, important works. One of them is us on the rolls of Shabis, and he discussed the issue. It's an old question, can you kill lice on shabus? Well, well, normally you know you don't kill insects or but the Gamara tells us this is shabas, that you're allowed to kill lice on shabis. Why because only animals, only living beings that reproduce together male female reproduction is forbidden to be killed on shabis. But you can kill lice because lice don't reproduce. Lice they come out of your sweat. They spontaneously generate spontaneous generation rumba. By the way, he also accepted spontaneous generation. He's writing in medieval tonious. So the question therefore is can you kill licen shabas? Because now today we know that lice doesn't to spontaneously reproduce, and you take a microscope and you can see lice eggs. So this question was raised by this Rabbi Levy, and then Brock exploded with people saying what type of heretic are you talking about this matter? And I asked for by Mazzous and he just points out that I sent him a number of books. I wanted to know because there are people who say that doesn't matter what Krasal determined to be the Hallaja, even if we have scientific nation differently, we keep it and others thought differently. Hezuos even mentions, he says that I think this is the Mahokus in the Pacajnti, and he's right. This question is first raised in the eighteenth century. It's not called Prompt raises the question because now we could see that the lice are reproducing. Rasuk On PROMPTI thought that we should be Machner today and in our own day there have been people who've said that as our color of Kafer says we should not kill licen jobs because now we see and Rasal. We're not speaking to us from Vola or any royal Kodesh or anything even a tradition. They were just in line with the best scientists of their day. And now we see that it's incorrect that even life eggs reproduce, and therefore we shouldn't kill it. And that is a position held by post came. But the majority position is we don't change. And you took on Prompti who wanted to be Machner. He sent his juva to his teacher of Judah Briel or Hui. Briell says, no, no, we don't change Halaha. The issue of ben a Brock was that they thought it was heresy to say that the sages might not have all the facts and might have made a decision incorrectly. But by Desker had a different approach. By Desper said, and this also, I think a Brock they might have a problem with it. He said that Rasal, we have a tradition that you can't you can you can kill by sunshots. The reason for it, however, did not come from tradition. The Razal tried to come up with a reason, and therefore they gave this reason. But the law doesn't depend on the reason. They just started giving the reason what they were told by scientists. They didn't investigate it. That's the assumption what he's saying. They didn't investigate it. He said that they just gave a reason. But the reason doesn't bind us. So if you don't like that reason, it doesn't mean you changed the halaka because there's other reasons that we don't know about. The girl also said that when the sages give reasons for things, don't assume that that's the only reason. There's other reasons for shimsh rthal hersh. He has a whole letter explaining that the sages were not scientists. They went to the best scientists of their day, like we go to the best scientists, and if the best scientists the day said something, then then he accepted it. The problem, however, is Sarah Maazoos doesn't think it's an issue at all. He says, this is an old dispute, and he writes to the people who are attack your emotional levy, if you're gonna attack him, look back. What is the going to say about if anyone says King David sinned when he didn't I raise a toys and he's mistaken. You're not going to call people heretics. It's a there's a lot of extremism in there. But I just want to note that I found something which shows you that maybe everyone's wrong, and as all didn't know, I don't And maybe you don't need a microscope, because why do I say this laser Piccizer is a late mid Rush from the eighth century, maybe ninth century. If you could chop with twenty six he's it says that it says that uh when Avimelf with Avram Avi Melf, all the uh. We were told that all the uh because we took Sarah everyone in his household in the cavos, the women became barren. What does it say how you call him the cavospace across a feel on bates say keenan. Here we see in Picketerblazer, which was recorded in the ninth century century, but a records tradition was going back hundreds of years that they recognize that such a thing as as eggs of the vice. So the idea that they didn't know about it, we see they did know about it. Science made no real changes from the years one to the year one thousand. Now there's no real advances in the sense that significant advances. So if they knew something in the eighth century, then they knew it in the fourth century. So none of the chew vote, as far as I know that discussed this referred to the period zer So I would go with her by Despler. I think that the not really Destler with others who explained that yes, they knew that there were they'd say that they device had eggs. How they knew about it. Maybe you can't see it even with the naked eye. I don't know. Maybe they have a tradition. Who knows. But there's this notion which is put forth by some of the Afroo mean that if you can't see it, it's as if it doesn't exist, just like we with the naked eye, so well we can't see. I mean one way we can't see. You can if you can't see a bug, you can eat it. The question. The only issue is that they have the big disputes about lettuce and everything is if you can see it, but you can't see it move, You just see like a piece of dirt. Some say that's a problem, others say it's not. So we cannot see the two lice create the eggs. If you see the egg, that's not an issue. I mean, if something grows, you can see it, but we cannot see the de lice join together and then create the next egg the eggs. So if that's the case, it's it's not. It's not apparent to the human eye. Therefore it has no significance. So when they say that any creatures that do not reproduce male and female, it's not referring to reproduction that can't be seen. It's referring to like a dog and a cat, and even maybe answer something so that that seems to me to be the best way of dealing with this problem. That it's not a because I didn't know. If they didn't know, they didn't know. But that's not the issue. The issue is when they speak about the lack of reproduction and talk about that you can see, and that would solve the problem with the curcater of the answer. And that's such the tuva here, and then we get into the next tuva. This is the last one we'll do tonight. Page one one. Hey, sorry, two ninety six, number one forty one, And this is a very long one. This you have to first see my letter I have. What I did is I save up all my questions and I send him So there's my questions and his answers. So it begins I begin by saying that I don't need you to always reply to my letters because I don't want to cause bitteltober. But if you look at what I write, then I'll feel good about that, and I'll skip the first thing I wrote about, and I'll go to the second one. And this deals with my letter, deals with this individual. His name is a rabbi uh Ray Moosha Kunitz of Often. Often is the German word for Buddha Buddha. Pest used to be divided between pest and Buddha, and Buddha was called often. He was the rabbi in Offen and he wrote a number of books. He wrote responsa called I'm sorry there you see it there it says here and this is uh they're selling this by auction. He was a controversial figure as he was both a rabbi, great interroer knowledge as well as an enlightenist. That's not an English word fluent insecular studies. But that's not they got it wrong here. That's not why he was controversial. Really, he was controversial by the way he wrote it. This book also, this is a famous, most famous org It's called the Benoi. It's all about Schimbnchrai. It's a very important work because it shows you every example in in Aracic in the Reshow name, and that can be traced to the zo ar. But it's also very important. Here's the cave, the cave that Rashbie was in. It's also important because he rejects Ravolkoveden. Rivolkovem didn't argue that the zo ar is medivo, it's late, even though it could. It preserves he throws the holy work, it preserves certain traditions. But the Zoora as we have and he thinks is a complete medieval work with sections that I guess would be ancient in it, and this is a rejection of it. And he goes through page after page his the haussem Soff said he'd rather have Jako Venden said than what he said, because what his replies are just most them are completely bogus. There's few of them are good, but the very first one is the famous one. The zoa refers to a snowgun as a big kanesse, and this is what's a snow good. It's clearly word synagogue, from the word synagogue that we know it. So he tries to come up with some crazy etymology. No one really takes that work of rom Moosha Kunitz seriously, although his chew vote are quite interesting and his cheu voter are important because he preserves one of the only hawk writings of Nisson. In fact, it might be the only Hajakak letter of Ramussadas in there. And do you have letters in there from the Big Dolium as well as from some Hoscala figures Ramosha Kunitz. If you go to Budapest today, you go to the cemetery and Mosha Kunitz is buried in the row of the rabbis because he was the roof of often he was one of the godolim of Budapest. What happened was that he's right next to a person named of Shimon. Behind. People have never heard of showing Appenheim, but I used to take I take my groups there. We'll go back God Willie again and I always tell them that the Hasidium come to the screen from schowing Opaenheim, which is too over from uh As I recall from Musha Kunitz. And every time we're there there's never any Hasidi Barkasha. And the last time we went, we're there and a whole group will hasid him come. Why did him come? Because it's your schuman Opodeim was a Hustan, but he has on his tombstone. In fact, I think some people listening to us now we even came with us. We're on that trip that I Center Europe trip. On the tombstone, he says, whoever comes here and recites a certain prayer, the they like, what's the worst. He called the prayer I forgot from Mavari al Baka. It's just like a user type of prayer. I will intercede with you in heaven. So this is very unusual. Here. You have a guarantee that if you come to the kever and you recite this prayer, he's going to intercede with you. So I guess, uh, it can't hurt. But this is the Hasidim go through. They go to the different graves they do. We go to different sites and we go to some graves, but they go. It's amazing. I found these Hastine team and they're in the most the big cities. They don't even bother going to the sites. They just go to the Kavarium and this is one of the kaorium on the stops. They'll go here and then from here they'll go to Rbishaia of Kristier and they'll do all the different graves. And they come there because he says he'll interceed Sir Emosha Kunitz is there in the nineteenth century, early nineteenth century, the reformers, they wanted some halk justification. There was one generation where the reformers wanted hallachic backing for their ideas, and then they just became complete reformers. And one of the things they want to all look backing for was to play music in a show. And they wrote to Italy because in Italy they had music. In Italy actually used music like the Organs in the show by a non Jew. But they also wrote to Ramosha Kunitz. There's a reason in this the rabbis in Germany, because the rabbis in Germany knew what type of people these were. They just were looking for hetyry. But they wrote to for Mosha Kunitz, and Mosha Kunitz he wrote an answer. He just went through the Holak sources. He says, well, if a non Jew's playing it, what's the problem. It's a show. Shows, as we say, you can called mitza. It's a cerabinic prohibition. It's very playing an instrument in the first place is rabbinic and having Annjuw play it is a double it's a double remove, so we know that's permissible. Non Jews play instruments. On Friday night at a wedding, we have non Jews light the candles in the shools. So he just looked at it from pure alachek and says, if it's that, if it's positive, then you can do it. Well. When this was published, he was no one attacked him in his lifetime as a reformer, and everyone's still considered him just a rabbi who was led astray by the reformers who got him in their grip. But by the twentieth century he was regarded as a reformist, which is not true. He's an open minded rabbi, but he's not a reformist at all. He's a regular rov He's a diant. He he's buried with the with the he lived and died to die, the die in in in Buddha. And actually later he moved to Pest and uh, you see where he's buried. And he was always regarded as a liberal rabbi, but uh, an authentic rabbi, so much so that his reputation took a turn for the worse. That and I say this all in my letter to Rabbie Mansus that they removed. If you look in the old vilnameshneis not the new print one the ones we all have with the Tosa Jumptov and the Partanurra. At the first volume, right at the beginning of it, you have the biography he wrote, like a biography in a like a play of of Una Nassi. And they only they take part of it. They don't do the whole thing, but they include part of his as I recall, first he has the biography and then he has a whole play. But the biography they included. It's in your villain, missigis in your bookcase is if you have it. Ramosha Kunit's biography they moved. They took it all out because he's a reformer. And I'm writing all this try Mazous because he he excites Rabai h Mosha Kunitz and growing up in Tunis, they would learn his stary. And the last thing I mentioned is something I said to Rabbi Mazus, and I began with a quiz question. I'll ask you another question and we'll end. So I write to Rabbi Mazus, I said, I say, if the sensors really wanted to if these people who took out Ramosha Kunitz's commentary, who know nothing about Ramosha Kunits, but if they really wanted to be the censors, then there's something else they could take out. And I said to Mazuza, and you yourself called attention to this right after Ramosha Kunitz's I think it's right after, not right before, No, right after Ramosha Kunitz's biography of Nasi. There is a a grammar of mi Hebrew. And let me show you this, and this will be the last thing we see today, and we'll see ifia who can figure it out? What I'm going to show you. So in this grammar is by a mascule of in Ville Mellers around there called Shomo Levinson. It's called my Maraldicto Gshna Mission. And you have in all your texts. In the second column over here he talks about how in the Mishnah they you see already usages of Aramaic. What do you mean usage is of Aramaic. Well, they use Aramaic words putting it into Hebrew. So for instance, the word baked a fila house of prayer. In Aramaic, it's called baked baconista, and then that comes back into Hebrew as baconess. That's what he's saying. And he gives a number of examples of where words in Aramaic are brought back into Hebrew. Through the Aramaic the word matsoi is because of the word sriach, and then he gives this example right here. He says, also say the word levat the biblical Hebrew, and you'd have the word you know instead, you say, in the Missionah, you have the word hoots instead of levade. Why not levade alone? You know this person, You will say this person, not those people, He said alone from those people. You do use the word levad, and that would be the biblical word. But instead of that they use the word hoots. Now why do they use the word hoots, he says, because in Aramaic you have the word bar. Bar means The word bar means outside, but it also like in, but it also means a separated from so for example, the word so so when you take it back into Hebrew, bar means outside. That means huts, but it also means like separated, not just outside, like living outside your house. Kots may I mean you also sayhutz so separated from everyone else. So again, the word huts is not a biblical Hebrew word. It's uh. But the word bar in Aramaic, he's saying, refers to outside. So then it becomes in Hebrew, both usages outside. Let's say outside the house, but also outside, you know, outside of us our group. And then he said, so in the note, look in the note, and this is let's see who can figure it out. He says. Remember that the word hoots is not a biblical Hebrew word. He says, vimsa chan palmacher. You'll find it one time in the book of Cohelis, and he cites the verse uh. Here in Cohellis, here's the verse he cites a chapter three, you'joy chapter two. It's a mistake. Here, let's see where is it. I've gotta serve quickly here where is it? Hold on, I get write it down. Ah, yes, here in verse twenty five. Take a look. What does the verse say, kimi l umi a us for who will eat or who will enjoy? Hoots me many apart from me. So here you have the word used in Biblical Hebrew huts meaning So let's go back to what he says. Now, Oh, whorse ah. So she says, you'll find it one time in the Bible in this passo kumia huts me many. Then he says the imsu odase for Asia. You'll find other places in this book arbei dardbour many other examples of the forms of language a shahima kafi that are in line with this principle. We're talking about Aramaic back into Hebrew. Tom you duo askill and he says the reason for this is known to the people who are maskille the intelligent, okay class. What does he referring to? What does he mean? What is the tom ya duah the maskill that you'll find in Cohells, the these Aramaic forms back into Hebrew. Who's gonna tell us tom ya duel as. What he's hinting to but not saying explicitly is that this is the proof that Cohellis is a later work not written by Sho wouldn't use uh these Aramaic terms. So he says that the word hoots is not found at all in Tooth except in Cohelis. And you also find other examples where these Aramaic forms are put back into Hebrew. And the reason for that is not he doesn't want to spell it out. But those who now understand, namely that Cohellis is really not solemonic, but is a much later work when they already did. Ironmac now remind Mazush is going to pointed it out. But if I said to him, if the censor has understood this, that's what they should censor. But that's in every one of your Messnaiases. And yet Mosha Kunitz is very kosher, nice biography of reviewed. And I'll see that's been removed, but this, this semi fra is, it still remains there. So we'll end with that. We're in the middle of my letter. And as I said, next class we'll be with Klemen Schulmann, the Musk, it will do with Ggo and with the Rashash has to write about it more and more good stuff. And if we next week also will be devoted to Rabbi Mazous a number of interesting stuff. And then we'll turn to some new figures and wait till you get your official character. We're coming to some great stuff from him as well. So let me take the questions and comments. We've gone over time a bit. Let's see Susanna says that how skullar change oshka attitudes towards the grammar, if I'm not mistaking, absolutely correct. They they even gave the example. They said that we used to be able to offer a sacrifice on a bama, but when the uh now we can't. Same thing with ascala. We said, when the ascalo used to be kosher, when the musculium started doing it, it's non koshi. But today there's no more musculine, so then no one's doing that the mosculium. We're saying, you don't need to learn gamor it's better to learn tanach than diktu is just diktok. They stopped the Ashgarism, stopped learning tanachhirsh and in the nineteen letters he attacks this idea, what he calls misguided, that you shouldn't have to learn tanaka anymore. But this it became popular that we don't need to do that. But today then these people don't exist anymore, so we should. That's therefore, in the Ashgnastic world even you have a return to tiktook and things like that. Mckelman says, the auditor just speaking hebrewsning in studying tanach. Yeah, this was all because of the the hoscalo a bar meant the common uh, the common pronunciation of checker and MSR wrong should be switched. David the boxer turned entrepreneur actually a fall helper, wasn't a boxer. He was a wrestler, although if you read all the essays on him, it says he didn't want to do fake wrestling, even though that's all this is all fake wrestling. He would actually do what he wanted to do, even if he's supposed to take a dive, if he didn't care, and it was all yes, so he came to America. It was all fake, but he refused to go along with it. So apparently with him there was half real, half fake. Well okay, now I didn't say Shacker, not scheckermet Well you asked what about the rule of a good question of segolio? So now I have my dictionary here because he'asier to look up this and show you, uh, we actually do have my singer here Mslamuna. Yeah, I have a prayer book here. I got the Moser here, the Burnbaum Moser. So let me look in myriv on Russia shown up. If you look at ms ms this is to who is writing up. I don't even need to look I should look down. Susanna pointed out, it has a hot tuff segal, not a segal. So there you go. A hot touff segal is really a cheval. So I'm sorry Susannah for not reading the next thing I wanted. If I have to pull it off my tough Uh. Yes, So it's not a check here it is. Uh. You wouldn't say you can't say she here. Check are is like any other word dego. They all have the uh it's the told me to l But ammet. It's a met because it's not. It's not a segal, So there you go. Uh, Barry says my mother. Oliver sh Shan told me how she met father young Israel dances. I met people I met one person particularly told me that, and many others told me about people they know. Yes, that was that was the era. I don't want to say it. People Ramas graduates will be upset. Ramas actually had you see Jeffrey Garox's book on Rama. They had classes into the fifties as far as I know, maybe the later social dancing classes you would run the fox truck there. They actually had these classes and everybody Ukstein. You said he told us similar he did actually to bring youws back to Yeah, that's what they did in Ramas Borrow, says Ahama Badia. Hold all starting to follow reveocef Cairo, Well, yes, we've spoken about this, we've we've dealt with it. And that's exactly where Mazusa's point. He doesn't think you need to follow uh Reveo saf Cairo if you have a tradition in Tunisia. Although in one area he actually he went along with Revadia because he doesn't think it's such an important thing. And that's with standing up for Sara Debros in Tunisia and in Morocco. The alster for Sarah Debros or mazusays, now that we're in Israel, we can go along with this. It's not it's not really a min hug that we have to stick with. But others. You're right, Barro says. The general phenomenon the coast of you are they need to distinguish oneself. There's differences in the monroth Are Swerel. There's fighting to Yu and YCT, and it was greater than between Garadi and YCT. That is also true the centrist attacks on YCT because they feel threatened because it's their territory, was harsher than the Haredi attacks exactly. That is true, and Suzanna says, you think that the Israel phrmonic is reconsidering a decision not to play Wagner's music. They did play Wagner. I remember, they know they did play Vagner in Israel once you can look it up, and it caused a huge controversy over that he was an anti Semit. But that's not why they're not playing it. They're not playing him because of his connection to Nazi Germany. That he was the the the musician laureate I guess you could say, and he was symbolic of Nazi Germany. That's the reason. There's plenty of other composers who were anti Semites. That's not David says, it's a proof text for a Masusa assertion at the hatred of Karad the haaradiing is greater than hatred the secretorards the Hareading is the mur and Psefi in forty ninety the hatred of a tourist scholar who abandoned Torah towards tourist scholars is worse than that of the amrits the.
Speaker 3: Rabbi.
Speaker 2: I don't know, David, if you're looking in the book and the Safer itself, I cite this in the note that that's and Rabbi Mazouz himself cites this explicitly in another in another place. But but you're right, that's a good point that the hatred of the twist scholar there who abandoned torah uh Well, Daniel says, in December nineteen ninety one, the Israella Pharmat had voted to play Wagner. I don't know, actually I take that back what I said. I think they stayed. They voted to do it, but they never did. That's what it is. And because people were starting sending back their season tickets, it was right around then in nineteen ninety one that I wrote it was such a big controversy, and I wrote to him about that. David says that one of our counts is chuvash is that Mo who is not a medical training not performed Brittany well. And he actually cites a rashi that says it's better to be a to have medical training on it. But that's an article came out at about ten years ago or fifteen years ago, or a guy attack you, or Mosha kun it's like a summer reformer, and he cites that, and he cites other things where Mosha Kunitz was simply like a modern Orthodox type of rabbi. He was, and he would be better if a moel had who was also a doctor. They don't have to be, but if they are, that's even better. Ah So, then Michael says, what about pink Foyd's music given Roger Walter's Rabbit anti Semitism. Question is, would Ramazouzi even acknowledge that you can at the end of days, can you get something good out of it? I don't know. Classical music has a separate place. The Villainagone said that music is a hama. It's one of the hamas. We know well Levy tribe of Lavy. We speak about the creation of music and arshas Bracy's, but they're not referring to they're not referring to I guess modern pink Foy type music. We're talking about, you know, great music. I think David says roots up heres at least three times in the hummage let her another than the v But in that in that way, in that exact same form in place of Levad. It has to be used in place of Levad David. That's what we're talking about, not let's say outside in the sense outside, but separated from Levad alone, that sort of thing. And okay, and let me point out one thing. I because I can't get rid of my gears of the Ancusa. I grew up always saying Sampson Rafo Hirst and shim Shown Ralfa Hirst, because after all, the name is shim Shown. But the truth is, and I heard this years ago when it never really stuck with me, but I recently heard it again by the authority that Rabbi Hamburger passed on to me by one of our listeners. His name really isn't Shimpshal, even though in Israel today is called Shimpshow. His name is Shampshal. That was his That's how he was called up to the Torah. Now you're gonna say, well, Shampshow isn't a name, Well, uh, it's it's not a Hebrew name. It's a Hebraic type of name. But we have all sorts of names that are wolf people called to the Torah. Ze wolf wolf isn't the name either, And we have these names that are my mo The Rumbum's father's name is Mimol. My moone is not a Hebrew word, but that's his name, and that's what he was called up to the Torah. They didn't have so Rev. Shimpschen Hersh's name is Shampshaw. So from now on, if I can remember, I'll say Schampschon. It's not just that in Germany he's saying it. That's what they gave him, Why they gave him. We haven't yet been able to determine why it's it became that other than that's just what it became in Germany. Germany had some interesting names. So David says, Wagner was played until the Even nineteen eighty one and a Holocaust survivor storm the stage. But I was not That wasn't what I was referraid to this before my time. Oh okay, And David says that that no, when hoots is used earlier, I wasn't clear when I said. I don't think I was clear. I was making it seem like huts never appears what I meant to say, It never appears as as I'll show you just the let us will be the last thing, as levade here it is. You can check it out later, levade Utz. And then he goes on to explain that whole thing. So the only place we find it is in Cohlis. So thank you all, and please correct me if I say again, but by ships and Raphael Hirsch is a shamption. In Germany they would call him. Even the rabbis referred to him as Hirsch. They didn't feel that you need to call him Rob Hirsch Rothhirsch.
Speaker 3: His name wasn't Rafaul Hirsch either. That was his father's name. And when we go to the keV in uh and Frankfurt, Benfoul Hirsch's last name was Hamburger. And that's what I thought you were going to say. His name was actually Humberger, shumpsh whatever, Humburgers. You know, if you remember on the kebra it's sham shun a Frankfurter.
Speaker 2: I thought it was Humburger. No, I think it's I don't think he ever used that name though.
Speaker 3: No, but on the ke be it says sham shun Ben Rafael Hirsch Hamburger was his father. He wasn't for Hurst.
Speaker 2: That was his father.
Speaker 3: And that's also the only grave I'm sure you remember the only grave I've ever seen in my life that hasn't the bottom tough no study, no, no, no, let me non Stadic bade hayt yeah, show was keV.
Speaker 2: There It is Rabbi shamp shown Ben Marin rafull Hirsch Frankfurt. Uh the bastin And what were you referring to? Mc killman.
Speaker 3: Okay, look at the bottom, it's non Sadic bade Hay. There's no tough, there's no Hey, his wife there was no doubt that shames hump Fellers was going to get aiden, so they didn't have to write to Hey. That's for normal people. But Sam fell remember when when we we were there there together on our first trip effort, not a first servor trip to you know, our our Germany trip. That's where we were and it's pretty pretty mind bogging. But his wife is next to him. I seem to remember Hamburger, So why did I Why am I getting that wrong? But the shesh Yeah. But anyways, a final words from.
Speaker 2: Killen.
Speaker 3: Those were pretty much the final words. Okay, tomorrow, I mean that's just you know, discuss listened. My uncle was also wolf. Wolf that's my uncle who you know, you know, you know very well. But what we call him wolf? His name is Elvil. But talking about that the name too, but that's fascinating with Rafel Hirsch. Anyways, Okay, okay, thank you very much. Tomorrow morning. Like I said, right at the beginning, Benny Gozon tit at twelve fifteen our regular share at the Hill him and that is followed at one thirty by Joseph Ruble, kicking off a five part series on sheer how she reing?
Speaker 2: Okay, so move on. I think what you're thinking of because the reason you thought that is because he was born in Homeburg, although I know, but I have a grandfather in Frankfurt.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that's what I thought, that was on the kever. But I guess I was wrong, that's what That's what I thought. But I clear I remember that nich without the hey, and of course that it's his Oh.
Speaker 2: Hold on, hold on, Bark's Bark's correctly pointing out something I will make mistake on the kever itself.
Speaker 3: Uh, let's go back to the kever and blow it up and see what it looks like again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, no, it's that's I was wrong on what I said it's not here. I'll put it for you again. Hold on a second, I'm pulling it up. Where are we here? There we go. Yeah, it's not uh, it's it's paypay. There sends for Frankfurter. That's his grandfather's name, Frank Pay. It doesn't mean Frankfurt. You know, he was rabbi and Frankfurt. They're attaching his name to him, but he was never he never wrote it by that name. But he never wrote anything but that was his his grandfather's name. I don't even know if his father used the name. Hey paypay you see after hersh it says ape go it on a little bit. I just want to see the rest of it. That's our first was Frankfurto.
Speaker 3: That's very and it said I remember he died on a Friday, I think on December thirty first, if I'm not mistaken, eighteen eighty eight. It says when he buy the name is buried on the Sunday.
Speaker 2: Is that there?
Speaker 3: Yeah, no about the batemay le ma.
Speaker 2: You know he died.
Speaker 3: Maybe that's his wife the next day.
Speaker 2: He's very gimbl right, Okay, So thank you Boru for that. That it's a that you're right they're putting Frankfurter, but I don't know. As far as I know, Maybe our Washington Heights person can help us. I don't think he ever wrote called himself that, and I don't know if his father ever did, but that's what's his grandfather's name.
Speaker 1: This series was originally recorded in twenty twenty and twenty twenty one as part of an ongoing lecture series. To sign up to attend the electure on Zoom, please visit tournmotion dot org. Please rate and review us in your favorite podcast app, or even better, tell a friend to give a podcast to listen