Speaker 1: Mister bo Kelly here k if I am six forty, We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Strange day. It was a really, really strange day. I woke up, it was sunny, it was hot.
Speaker 1: And then it started cooling off, and the clouds started rolling in, and then all of a sudden, it started raining.
Speaker 2: It straight started raining on the way in.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: If I were in Washington, DC, or Miami, Florida, or somewhere in the Midwest, I would be I wouldn't be, you know, by any humidity and rain to kick off August. But in Los Angeles, California, rather strange. And Mark Ronner owes me an explanation because he did not warn us about this last night. Oh, I wouldn't tolerate this if I were you. Did it wreck your hair? It did wreck my hair, and I just washed my car, and I tend to think that my newly washed car had to deal with the rain in August in California.
Speaker 2: What the hell is going on? Did it wrinkle your dress, ma'am? Yes, it did. Yes. Nobody consulted me about this. I was glad to wear linen and then it started raining.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the linens are especially problematic in weather like this. No, I didn't know anything about this until I showed up today and I saw that tonight we have a twenty percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. I thought we were just hunkering down in the miserable heat for the duration. But no, get a little bit of moisture. How about Shawn some gratitude for once. Okay, I'll show some thank you for that.
Speaker 2: That felt good.
Speaker 1: The rain in Spain stays mainly on the plane, my fair lady. Yes, oh Kelly, I just want to make yeah, thank you for that. Okay, some serious business we have to get to. There was another metro stabbing yesterday. We'll tell you about that next segment. And there are new rent hike limits which are going into place this week. And they call them rent hike limits, but they're not really limits. It just means that they can't.
Speaker 2: Gouge you to death. But you know, we'll get into that as well.
Speaker 1: Did you know we have a new measles infection right here in La You gotta feel proud. But here is where I wanted to start the show tonight. We've talked at length about the minimum wage increase for fast food workers. It went from sixteen to twenty dollars an hour. There was a lot of controversy about how that would impact our economy, how that would impact prices for McDonald's, Wendy's, Burger King, Subway, all those places had, and how many people they would employ. Would they have to decrease their hours for their employees, would they have to fire employees.
Speaker 2: That was the discussion.
Speaker 1: We've gone back and forth about the pros and cons, the pluses and minuses, but they got Those workers got twenty dollars an hour.
Speaker 2: Check this out.
Speaker 1: In a memo sent to KTLA Channel five News, SEIU, the union which covers fast food workers, is asking that the minimum wage for fast food workers, which just went from sixteen dollars to twenty dollars an hour, be raised again to twenty dollars and seventy cents per hour by January first, twenty twenty five. We're talking about I don't know, six months or so from sixteen dollars to twenty dollars and then they're gonna raise it again, or at least they're asking for it to twenty dollars and seventy cents per hour.
Speaker 2: Wait wait, wait, wait, there is more The.
Speaker 1: Union is also demanding more stable schedules, broader oversight of backpay ode to employees, and an investigation into what the union says are pervasive abuses in the industry, such as wage theft, harassment, discrimination, and unsafe conditions. Remember when you were a kid from Mark RONNERD I know is a longer time ago than me.
Speaker 2: Oh, let's just calm down with that stuff.
Speaker 1: A long time ago, A very long time ago. When you and I were kids, Remember you would go maybe to the store, and you would say, Mommy, mommy, mommy, or Daddy, Daddy, I really want that?
Speaker 2: Can I get that toy? Can I please get that toy? Can I get that game? Can I get that t shirt? Can I get the whatever? I think?
Speaker 3: We had vastly different childhoods. But please proceed. But you asked, didn't you?
Speaker 2: Sure? Okay, wish in one hand? Right?
Speaker 1: Okay, Well you asked for it, and maybe, well maybe it happened with Steph. Maybe Stephan knows what this is like. And you ask and you get to be obnoxious, and then your parents finally say, okay, just shut up. If I get you this, what do they say, don't ask for another thing? And you get the stuffed animal, you get the video game, you get the toy, and you're happy, happy, happy, and then on the ride home you say, hey, can I get some McDonald's You want to.
Speaker 2: Get something else. Wait a minute, I just told.
Speaker 1: You when you asked for this and I gave it to you, don't ask for another mumbling thing.
Speaker 2: That's what I feel like.
Speaker 3: This is are you comparing that to people asking for a living wage for work? No?
Speaker 2: No, no no.
Speaker 1: I thought to twenty dollars an hour was a living wage. I thought that was it, because you know why, that's what they asked for. That's specifically the amount they asked for. That's not what they negotiated. They said we want twenty dollars an hour. If it wasn't like they said we want twenty three dollars an hour, and then then they met in the middle and said, okay, we will agree to twenty dollars an hour. So they say, go big upfront. It's not what you're supposed to do. You're always supposed to ask for either too much, so you can come back to what you really want.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's often my model.
Speaker 3: I mean, the worst that can happen to you is a slap in the face, although the my situation might be slightly different.
Speaker 2: From the one you're talking about. But I see what you're saying.
Speaker 1: But why are you going to ask for twenty dollars an hour just to ask for twenty dollars and seventy five cents.
Speaker 2: Less than a year later?
Speaker 1: Do you actually think that you have any traction, that you have any momentum or leverage to ask for another raise less than a year later when you just got a four dollar raise in March.
Speaker 2: If I'm not.
Speaker 3: Mistaken, I think maybe you're having issues with the framing. Think of it MO as more of an icebreaker. Ask for the.
Speaker 2: First one, and then you know, you soften people up for subsequent.
Speaker 1: Ass No, no, no, that's not a good negotiating technique. Okay, if you need the twenty let's just call it twenty one dollars an hour, huh. If you need the twenty one dollars an hour, then damn it, asks for twenty two. And then you can think, or at least make the opposition think that, Okay, you're not getting everything that you ask for and you end up with twenty one, But to ask for twenty going.
Speaker 2: From sixteen dollars an hour, that is a considerable increase.
Speaker 1: And then you turn around, let's say four months letters say you know what, I need a little bit more money.
Speaker 2: You're gonna have people with master's degrees going to McDonald's and Del Taco at some point. No, you won't. And here's why, and this is how I'm going to end the segment.
Speaker 1: These jobs won't exist that much longer because of automation or what have you. These jobs are not going to exist long term. And if you are fighting for twenty one dollars an hour for the person who is handling the fries or mopping the floor. Sorry to sound dismissive, but that is what we're talking about. Just know that these jobs have already been in large part replaced by rumba. I'm sorry, never mind. KFI six forty we're live everywhere in the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: Stabbing Metro Wednesday morning in the Florence neighborhood of South LA. The attack was reported at eight thirty five am at the Slawson station. The suspected attacker only described described as a Hispanic man about thirty years old, attacked another person, and this is according to the LAPD. The attacker was last seen wearing a white painter's suit. Hear me out, I'm beginning to suspect that people are viewing Metro like they do seven elevens easy targets because of where you are. Seven eleven obviously presents itself as an easier target than a MPM circle, k RCO whatever. And it seems that people who are at Metro or on a bus or on a train are presenting themselves as easier to be attacked because the attackers clearly know to go after someone at a Metro station, on a Metro bus, or a Metro train. The saddest part about all of this is all this would go away if they just had tap out there and they forced people to never mind. Okay, well, what's funnier in my head? When I said it tap out? You know, like you have to tap to exit?
Speaker 3: Uh huh, Well, fush need to feel a little quicker on the rim shot?
Speaker 1: I guess no, it just it just seemed fat funnier when I when I was saying it in my head, it didn't It didn't come out that way.
Speaker 3: But it doesn't everything honestly as foul foul just between you and me and nobody's listening. Where's Nancy Bass when you need her?
Speaker 2: Seriously? Can you get her in here? Okay, I'll call for day anyhow.
Speaker 3: Can I just let me say something since you're talking about Metro, the weird thing that we talk about this all the time. Last night I was on a Reddit thread about best kept secrets in La, like life hacks for living in LA, and Metro was one of.
Speaker 2: Those, as in a better way to get around the city. Yeah, believe it or not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was probably written by someone who doesn't actually live here or has never written Metro.
Speaker 3: I mean, you can't tell if people on Reddit are sane or insane, well generally, but I say you can tell they're insane on Reddit. But these seemed like fairly rational people pointing out how easy it made their lives. Apart from the old getting stabbed in the chest thing.
Speaker 1: It would make your life easier, It would make your commute if you didn't have to also deal with the other unintended consequences of having to you know, fit in for your life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they might have omitted some key details.
Speaker 1: I happen to believe those lists are just for I think they're plants people who want to encourage use of the Metro or give them some more positive shine. Because anyone who's lived in LA, anyone who's aware of what's been happening in LA for the better part of a year and a half at least, would know that. Anyone who would say that, hey, you ought to go ride Metro or something, what is the only response to that that's it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, or I'm scared for my life. Just a second, Hold up here. You are trying to suggest, though, that Metro has like a sleeper cell spreading pro Metro propaganda on Reddit or No.
Speaker 1: I believe that most major corporations they will plant positive reviews. I know that they pay for stories. I'm saying companies will pay for stories. Oh yeah, okay, yeah, that's not new at all. Who has anything good to say about Metro? I would love to meet that person just so I could tell them that's I'm sure.
Speaker 3: They'd be happy to drive here and park so that you could give that to them.
Speaker 1: Remember how switching gears very quickly. Remember how earlier in the week, or maybe it was last week, maybe earlier in the week, we were talking about the possible expansion of Metro to the Hollywood Bowl.
Speaker 2: Right, and it's going to take a really long time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they won't even start until twenty forty one. Here's another example I think of planning positive stories. Now, there's a story out there that there's a plan to connect the San Fernando Valley with the west Side. If it took until twenty forty one, presumably to put in a Metro stop at the Hollywood Bowl, how long do you think it would take to connect the San Fernando Valley to the west side.
Speaker 5: Silkeel Freeway has one of the worst reputations for having horrendous try traffic, especially as you get closer to the Sepulvida Pass. It's the four or five Freeway and drivers have nicknamed it for its bad rep.
Speaker 2: Well, hey, did I say for its bad breath? Bad breath? For its bad rep? Well it's greatlock.
Speaker 1: You know that story where they say the four or five is the world's biggest parking lot. That's the fillion I'm.
Speaker 5: Getting During the holidays, it turns into candy Cane Lane because of the ribbon of non stump red and white lines. This daily four or five commuter says driving through the Sepulveda Pass is probably one of the worst parts of her day.
Speaker 3: Exactly what's the freeways a living And it's a nightmare, It's a true nightmare.
Speaker 5: Well, there's a proposal to ease the traffic headache. The Planets have built a fully automated rapid transit line to connect the San Fernando Valley to.
Speaker 2: The west side.
Speaker 5: The line would also connect with Metro's current and future stops, including a stop in the heart of UCLA's campus. It would go as fast as seventy miles per hour.
Speaker 6: That would connect Van Nuys all the way down to the Expo line in twenty minutes.
Speaker 1: Oh so they're going to talk about a bus with its own lane basically now, that may not take twenty five years to build.
Speaker 3: I think the plus aspect of all of this is that it'll all be ready by the time you and I are no longer allowed or able to drive.
Speaker 1: Well, just perfect time. But you didn't live out here. I don't think I know Stephan would remember this. Remember when they were widening the four or five freeway, Oh yes, I do.
Speaker 2: And it took four freaking ever was it candy cane lane.
Speaker 1: Then no, no, no, it was worse because they're trying to do construction while people were still driving.
Speaker 2: That doesn't sound as festive as candy cane lane.
Speaker 3: And it got to a point where I thought that was going to be our our that's like, that's what it was going to be forever.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I really thought that it was going to make a difference because they were cutting out portions of hillsides, yeah, to add lanes, and it made absolutely no difference at all.
Speaker 3: Well, it's like the diffusion of gas in a space. It's going to take up all the space, no matter how much there is. Well, I've lived.
Speaker 1: Here long enough to see every iteration of this is going to be the magic bullet for traffic. I remember when they were doing the one oh five freeway and they said that's gonna make it.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be a game changer. It's gonna take away all the traffic. It didn't happen.
Speaker 1: They widened the four or five freeway, they did all that construction on the five freeway far south.
Speaker 2: None of it has helped at all.
Speaker 1: We've had people lead the state of California talk about people are leaving left and right hasn't helped.
Speaker 3: It's still real bad. Oh yeah, there's no magic bullet, just road rage bullets.
Speaker 1: I'm on Fosi. Don't be stingy with me, Foosi. No, that's that's inappropriate.
Speaker 3: Well, that's a good time to start worrying about that a couple of years in.
Speaker 2: You know me, I'm all about boundaries. Oh yeah, timeliness too.
Speaker 1: Look at the time, it's Later with Mokelly if I Am six forty were lived everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: And the rent is too damn high.
Speaker 1: But we're gonna tell you what is being done to maybe limit it from going higher.
Speaker 4: We'll see you're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: With FU.
Speaker 2: Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: We often complain about how expensive it is to live in California, especially southern California. We complain about the cost of living and how the groceries cost so much, or how much fast food may cost. And Mark Ronner and I we have this ongoing conversation. We go back and forth. We talk about part of this is self inflicted, part of it is what we've asked for, and I've said time and time again, we had multiple chances to vote in some form of legitimate rent control. We said no both times, and now we are complaining about the rent being too damn high. Let me give you an example of just some of the things which have been passed or have been implemented in how ineffective they actually are. As of today, there is a new limit on rent increases which has gone into effect in both LA and Orange.
Speaker 2: Counties starting today.
Speaker 1: The maximum rent increase for both LA and Orange County is eight point nine percent, which is a slight increase from last year's eight point eight percent. Okay, rent control less effective than last year. What is eight point nine percent? Okay, Let's say you're paying twenty five hundred a month in rent, which is nominal in LA.
Speaker 2: Twenty five hundred a month.
Speaker 1: That just means that it can be upped another two hundred and twenty two dollars next year, which means you'll be paying about another twenty six hundred dollars over the course of a year.
Speaker 2: And that would be within the law.
Speaker 1: That has nothing to do with who's president, That has nothing to do with whose governor, that has nothing to do with I'll say, the cost of living. It just has to do with unfettered capitalism. There are more renters than landlords. Okay, you're voting against your own interests. I wish, I wish that there was such a guaranteed return on investment as real estate elsewhere. Let's just say you own a building and you know that you can guarantee yourself an eight point nine percent increase on your return and investment every single year, and that's within the law. Wait a minute, and that's not like everyone is acting within the law.
Speaker 2: See, that's just LA and Orange County.
Speaker 1: Wider California is governed by the California Tenant Protection Act, and under the Tenant Protection Act, the total increase for the year cannot top ten percent. So if you live outside of LA and Orange County, I don't know, like Ventura County or San Diego County, San Bernardino County. So forth, you get the idea they can legally raise your rent ten percent, and oftentimes people don't know that that is the stated maximum, and mini landlords operate outside that and they will raise someone's rent more than ten percent. No, MO, they wouldn't do that, Yes they would. They did it in Inglewood. When they were building Sofi Stadium, they had people who had their rents doubled overnight, and people did not know the law and they were forced out and they didn't have the money to fight it in court. This isn't new. This is just how we choose to live here in California. We don't want rent control, but we sure have a lot of energy to complain about the rent being too damn high when we were the ones who had the opportunity to do something about it. And you know, it's almost like the line from Independence Day and you did nothing.
Speaker 2: You do then, and you did nothing.
Speaker 1: You had a chance to keep your rent from going sky high every single year. And the best you can hope for is your landlord is a good person, a decent person, and doesn't try to raise your rent eight point nine percent each year. Let's say you're in a six month lease. You know they may do it at the end of the six months. This is something within our control, and we chose not to control it. We complained about the number of people who are homeless. There's a connection here. Plain about the cost of living, there's a connection here. All these things are connected. And if you want to say like, well, it's because of Governor Gavin Newsom, it's because of Joe Biden.
Speaker 2: I got news for you.
Speaker 1: Whoever's going to be our next governor and whoever's going to be our next president is not going to impact this at all because landlords are still going to raise the rent. Why because they've been illegally empowered to do so in LA and Orange County eight point nine percent every year. And I'm just saying, let's say your rent is twenty five hundred, and that's nominal here in southern California, you're doing well. If you got to let's say a two bedroom for twenty five hundred. I don't know where, but let's say that's the case. It's going to go up by a good two hundred and twenty two dollars if your landlord so chooses, and it will be well within his or her right. And you think like it's not fair. No, it is fair because you had a chance to do something about it. Well, let me take it back. Not enough people who had the opportunity did anything about it to prevent it. And there was a time, I think coming out of the Great Recession, where economically, financially it was a better option to rent. It was a better option to rent at that time than to own property here in California because most of us who owned property were underwater. I remember this. I have no problem telling this story. I bought my first townhouse in two thousand and six, two years before everything went, you know, through the floor, for three hundred and forty thousand dollars, two bedroom, two bath townhouse, Torrant Area. By two thousand and eight purchase price three hundred and forty thousand, it was worth one hundred and fifteen thousand. Okay, but that's about one of the few times has ever happened in California real estate history. And so a lot of people were saying, well, it's better all that I just rent. And at that time, yes, that's the case. But now if you own property, you don't have to worry about Let's see, say you're locked into a thirty year mortgage. I know this is turning into a financial show. I didn't mean for that to happen, but it just happened. But you know, my mortgage is not going to go up eight point nine percent every single year. And the flip side is if you are ready, it makes it cost prohibitive, if not impossible, to save any money to get off that hamster wheel, because you know that you have to almost figure in and bake in an extra eight point nine percent tax, which is exponential in nature from year to year.
Speaker 2: Preach, this is just basic math.
Speaker 6: Now, I got the pullpit right now, You understand the pullpit talking to the masses.
Speaker 2: Because but we're concerned about homelessness. No we're not. No, we're not.
Speaker 1: Because someone is going to have their rent raised eight point nine percent in LA or Orange County, or maybe up to ten percent or more illegally outside of LA and Orange County, and they're gonna end up homeless. And we're gonna be mad because someone is living in there RV outside our house, or they're living in their car, or they're just straight living on the street in a cardboard box. And for some reason we don't see that all these things are connected. I wonder why it's Later with mo Kelly KFI AM six forty we are live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. And when we come back, we have more good news. Just say, let's say you're you're not homeless. Let's say that you know your rent only went up seven percent this past year. I'm here to tell you it could be worse. You could have contracted measles. Well you might still. You know it's not too late.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: What disease?
Speaker 5: Is there a song about?
Speaker 2: Come on, come on boom boom?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Know what about the measles song? The measles song?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 5: What kind of measles song?
Speaker 2: It's called it?
Speaker 5: It's called the German measles song, the German measo song. You're the German measos song.
Speaker 2: I've heard of the German measles. But you heard of a German meso song?
Speaker 1: You heard of the German measles?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Maybe there isn't one.
Speaker 1: It's Later with mo Kelly. We'relive everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. A person with measles traveled on Norse Atlantic Airways flight Z zero seven to one one to the Tom Bradley International Terminal at lax at about two fifteen pm on July twenty six, then traveled to Orange County. It's not clear from this whether that means they got in an uber, did they take like the people move or some sh shuttle or they got a taxi or a friend picked them up and just says travel to Orange County. This is according to the LA Department of Public Health. But Department of Public Health is saying if you were in the Tom Bradley International Terminal or Terminal B between two thirty and four pm that day, which could mean thousands and thousands of people, if you're one of those thousands or thousands, you are at risk of developing measles. And it also says if you believe you are exposed, wait for it, check your measles vaccination status. Now why would they say that, because, oh, yeah, there is a vaccine out there, Because measles was pretty much eradicated until COVID and then people stopped immunizing and inoculating their kids, and now we're dealing with measles and pertussis whooping cough none.
Speaker 3: That that's actually before they were already anti vaccine, long before COVID.
Speaker 6: COVID just brought it all out. That's when all of the anti vaxxers went nuts. But I remember there was a big fight and we discussed on The mo' kelly show when I got lott Lots when it came back like they actually accused you of pushing vaccines.
Speaker 2: Like I was getting paid or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you look, far be it from me to apologize for wanting people to be safe and healthy. You know, that's not something I'm going to apologize for. But all these things are connected. If you look at the fact that polio is made a comeback, measles has made a comeback, name of a disease that wasn't around, with exception of smallpox.
Speaker 2: I think smallpox is waiting. Maybe that's next year.
Speaker 1: But just about all these old diseases have come back, and it's directly connected to a refusal to vaccinate children and then they turn into adults and and then these diseases wreak havoc among us. And you know, there are incidents where schools have been shut down, amusement parks have been shut down. I don't know what they're gonna do with lax but you know, there's there's a reason that we're it's frustrating, it's really really frustrating.
Speaker 6: Didn't bubonic plague?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but but we don't.
Speaker 1: Have a vaccine for that here in the United States?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Okay, damn it, mon, next you're going to be telling me not to drink raw milk. You and your liberal pro science agenda.
Speaker 2: What's wrong with you this? Okay? Stephan wouldn't remember this, and Mark, you weren't living in la But there.
Speaker 1: Was an exercise duo we talked about it in general called the body Buddies and the body Buddies what are their main sponsors? Was something something I don't remember the name of the brand, but it was raw milk, And I remember growing up it's like, what the hell is raw milk? In my mind, not understanding what pasturized was back then, I thought all milk was raw, as in like uncooked.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you just get it straight out of the utter, right, yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, and it was one of those things which was really being pushed, especially in the late nineteen seventies, as the alternative to pasteurize milk. And then you get a little older, for at least for me and my generation, you realize, oh, pasturizing is to keep us from getting sick and dying from it.
Speaker 2: Got it? Got it because you're not going to drink it the same day it comes from from the cow.
Speaker 3: So you know, you know, you see we're talking about Reddit earlier, and you see all sorts of all sorts of wisdom from these geniuses. Somebody was talking about how raw milk really isn't that dangerous as long as you boil itities Yeah, some fancy thinking there, sir, Yeah, right, Yeah, you're gonna get your raw milk and then you're gonna boil it when you get home so it's safe to consume, or something like that, or or wait, wait, wait, you know, give me a minute here.
Speaker 1: Or you can just go ahead and buy the pasteurized milk and take it to the head as soon as you get home, which.
Speaker 6: Has already been boiled and pasteurized and they got all the blood.
Speaker 2: Don't don't.
Speaker 3: Don't talk about the science, the science, big government in your face stuff.
Speaker 2: How dare you? How dare you? I'm sorry? I believe the Earth is round? I'm sorry. I believe that we landed on the moon. Oh pump the brakes. No, no, no, I know.
Speaker 1: Go ahead and send your hate mail to at mister mo'kelly on Twitter. I'll be sure not to read it there. Can if I am six forty, we're live everywhere at the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 4: Can if I am six forty the news what it means?
Speaker 2: Why you Matter, k s I and k os t h D two Los Angeles live everywhere on the radio,