Speaker 1: How dangerous could a fifteen year old boy be? What if a fifteen year old boy sexually assaulted his neighbor at gunpoint, because as an adult, he would go on to commit a mass murder and get away with it. Not only that, but the double life he'd lead would have him a realator by day and kidnapper by night. His victim count was growing, and with something he'd brag about, he felt little to no remorse for his actions, taking to the Internet to review the products he so freely used to commit his acts. Then how dangerous do you think a fifteen year old could be? Good morning the following podcast, and he's graphic content, seminarial, intendant rumature audience listeners.
Speaker 2: US is at the Hey guys, I'm Nicole and I'm Ben and you are listening to Wicked and Grim.
Speaker 1: A true crime podcast.
Speaker 2: Nichole's over here, giggling away because again she forgot her intro.
Speaker 1: I know, you could literally just compile all of me what do we say again? Like a reel and it would be hilarious because I literally I'm always like what do I say?
Speaker 2: It'd be like those those reels with Owen Wilson. Wow, Wow, Wow, what do we say? What do we say?
Speaker 1: We just like utterly confused at every moment of time.
Speaker 2: And that's that's the sum of our show. Yeah, utter confusion and just flying by the seat of her parents.
Speaker 1: I don't know why it's the same every week, but it's just I feel like it changes so often, but it does.
Speaker 2: What are we on now, episode seventy seven? I think, well, I don't even know seventy something.
Speaker 1: You're asking me that when I don't even know how to do our intro after seventy seven episodes exactly.
Speaker 2: Well, that's exactly my point. But yeah, you also have a point. That's fair.
Speaker 1: That is a fair point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so welcome to the podcast. What's up? How's it going, how's it shaking? Hope you guys have a drink in your hand, whether it be alcoholic or none, Sit down, have a sip.
Speaker 1: I was just gonna say mine is now an alcoholic, but then I always screw that up because I put Carolins in my hot chocolate.
Speaker 2: So Carolins is so delicious.
Speaker 1: You know, it's got booze in there.
Speaker 2: It's got booze in there. The story of my life, I've got booze in me.
Speaker 1: But We've had a good week. We've had some decent days. The weather is finally like spring like here.
Speaker 2: I feel like, Yeah, we're actually getting leaves in the trees now, so exciting. But mosquitoes are coming, so that sucks.
Speaker 1: But yeah, we've been spending a lot of time outside the dog oes and just enjoying it. Before I guess we go out there and just get eaten alive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we actually have a photo shoot coming up with the dogs too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that's so exciting.
Speaker 2: You guys will get to see some pictures of the pupper Dues and the dog around.
Speaker 1: We got a figure we're gonna wear. Let's do that tonight.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna have to go shopping, probably clothes.
Speaker 1: Oh I was thinking nude.
Speaker 2: Nude. Yeah, we could do that if you want.
Speaker 1: Yeah, why not live it up?
Speaker 2: Sure, let's do it.
Speaker 1: You know, we're in the best shape of our fucking lives right now.
Speaker 2: My body shape right now is plato Okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Actually that just was comical because we both are not and we we're trying though, we're making small life changes.
Speaker 2: I've got a solid COVID body right now, let's put it that way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I don't know we have that excuse anymore.
Speaker 2: We gotta yeah go in here to sche We should move on though, away from you know, talking negative about ourselves, absolutely, and we should be a little more positive over here on Patreon because we had a crap time. You guys join us over there.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, it was so exciting.
Speaker 2: It's incredible how many people are joining us, and you guys seed to be having fun over there. So thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, And specifically to those who joined us this week. I'm not gonna hand it over to Nicole because she always hates it when I do that, so it'll be me tell her again.
Speaker 1: I don't even have it ready, right.
Speaker 2: Well, I've got the list right here if you want it. Do you want it?
Speaker 1: No? I haven't even looked at them, so you go ahead.
Speaker 2: That's what I thought.
Speaker 1: You go ahead.
Speaker 2: Well you've looked at it. You just haven't reviewed how to say the name.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, like I didn't practice. There you go.
Speaker 2: So first off, we got des Catherine who joined us. We have Andrea Padovic. I really hope I said your name right. She even sent us a message on how to pronunciate her name. She even went like phonetically on it.
Speaker 1: Now, I know it was like awesome, So I hope we didn't screw that up.
Speaker 2: Zero excuses if I messed that up. Sorry. We have Lulia test Fay gorgeous name, Don Johnson, Ronnie. I really hope I said that right too, r O Ni I could be Roney. I don't know if it's like a nickname or not. Mm hm, so's it's hard hard to read that One's still awesome. Oh yeah, definitely, don't get me wrong. We also have Robin Wedding, Desiree Hurry and Darion schank Willer. Wow, thank you all for joining us over on Patreon and being so fucking wicked.
Speaker 1: Those sound like some awesome people.
Speaker 2: They certainly are, and we do have.
Speaker 1: Like fun over there. We just did. I actually did the episode hint on Patreon this time. Yeah, and I was like first person I guessed it. It was like a pretty easy hint. I was pretty nice, Yeah you were, But I was the first person that gets will mail them a pair of Jacko socks.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so they get a piece of merch. But because in twenty seconds they were able to guess it.
Speaker 1: So boom Echo is amazing and she's getting some Jacko socks. Yeah, so pretty pumped about that.
Speaker 2: Easy Peasa and Lemon squeezy.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well should we move on to the episode though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, without further ado or what here?
Speaker 2: Yeap? You dropped it on Amazon? What it was?
Speaker 1: Now? Tell us on Amazon?
Speaker 2: Oh? Sorry, you dropped it on Patreon? What it was? I think I just gave us the hint, So tell us what the case is?
Speaker 1: Oh my word? So it's Todd colehep, which is the Amazon review killer.
Speaker 2: And that's why I said Amazon on Amazon?
Speaker 1: Yah, yeah, we dropped on We're on Amazon.
Speaker 2: Now, actually are in Amazon with audible and podcasts and everything. So oh shit, really yeah, you can listen to us there.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, I was like, what are we telling him? I was so confused.
Speaker 2: Now you can find her podcast as like as our.
Speaker 1: Merge on Amazon. That doesn't make any sense, but it's.
Speaker 2: Not Amazon podcasts. You can find us, okay, okay. So.
Speaker 1: Todd was born on March seventh, nineteen seventy one, in Florida. He was raised in South Carolina and Georgia. Though Todd's parents would divorce when he was little baby two years old, with his mother getting custody, she would marry another man the following year, and it was later reported that Todd didn't have the most healthy of relationships with his new father figure.
Speaker 2: Well, dang, that's very tough. Yeah, no kidding, it seems I hate it when kids just don't have that relationship with their their parental figures or anything of any sort. I mean, sometimes, of course, it's not to anyone's fault, but it seems far too often that it is just neglecting that relationship.
Speaker 1: Well, and it's especially more often with people like who were about to talk to about here. He'd often ask to go live with his biological father, who was pretty much nonexistent in his life since the divorce with his mom though, But you know, the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence scenario, I think so by him always wanting to go there, he thought it would just be a better life.
Speaker 2: For him, right, Yeah, fair enough.
Speaker 1: Todd was described as a troublesome child. He was known to show aggressive, aggressive aggression.
Speaker 2: Aggression, aggression. There you go, nailed it towards.
Speaker 1: Other children, often destroying their property. Yeah, and I like when I read that, I just like pictured this little boy bully that was like ripping up his classmate's artwork or something. You know, Like, that's just like what I pictured.
Speaker 2: I picked. There's an episode of Family Guy where some kid is like stealing toys from Stewie and like the sandbox and stuff, and then Stewie just like literally kills this kid.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean it's Family Guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true, that's true.
Speaker 2: I can't remember what he does. I remember the kid choking on something or something. A y gets revenge on him. It's kind of funny.
Speaker 1: Whoa. So he was also dismissed from boy Scouts because he was too disruptive, just like next level. I feel like that's next level. I feel like it'd be hard to be dismissed from boys or boy Yeah, boy Scouts. But I have no idea, I have no idea.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was never in a Scouts thing of any sort as a kid, so I'm not certain either.
Speaker 1: But yeah, when Todd was only nine, he under he started undergoing counseling. Along with being a troublesome child. He was described as very explosive and preoccupied with sexual content. Age nine. I feel like that's a little young, right, that's a little young.
Speaker 2: That's a little young. I mean, for sure, everyone has curiosities, especially I mean, little boys definitely have curiosities. I'm not so certain but little girls. But I was a little boy once, and the curiosities are definitely there. But I mean to what extent That's a whole other question.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. But also, well, I say, nowadays, I feel like kids are growing up a lot quicker. But that was a little while ago, so I don't know. Nine just seems a little young, Yeah, it does. He was also displaying cruelty to animals. Fuck this guy, which you know we all absolutely hate.
Speaker 2: It is definitely an early sign.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I'm basically just describinging like a little serial killer right in the making. Is pretty much what I'm doing right now.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: The reported animal cruelty was shooting a dog with a BB gun, which like, isn't the worst I've ever heard, because I don't think that would like kill the dog, right.
Speaker 2: No, it wouldn't. Yeah, I mean, depending on the power of the BB gun that bebe could.
Speaker 1: How many you did, and yeah, but.
Speaker 2: The bbe could potentially sink in the fur and cause an infection. But chances are with a BB gun it have to be a really strong be begun to do that. It's just a dick move.
Speaker 1: Well, and this is even more of a dick move. He also killed a goldfish by pouring bleach in its tank. Geez, Louise, that one's like a little a bit more drastic in my opinion, no kidding, but we have heard of much worse when it comes to oh yeah, cruelty. But he's still doing something here.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: In nineteen eighty three, Todd would get his wish of going to live with his biological father, who was living in Arizona. It was his It was from his whoa where am I here? Oh? Yeah, here, I am sorry. He was from his father that Todd allegedly inherited his hobby of collecting weapons and was taught how to blow things up and make bombs.
Speaker 2: Huh okay.
Speaker 1: And I don't necessarily blame the father for that, because it wasn't like it wasn't like Todd was a little cupcake when he went to go live with his father, right, And he had probably already had an interest in that sort of thing, and it was just his father's way of maybe trying to connect with him.
Speaker 2: Right yeah, not realizing the extent of like the damage he could potentially be doing exactly. Yeah, it was just a way to connect, so he went with it. I mean that's fair, that's a fair argument.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know, that's just kind of how I grasped things, But who knows. Despite this common interest, their relationship would deteriorate during the time Todd was there due to his father not being all that present with his son. So the grass wasn't greener, folks. He owned a restaurant, and when he wasn't there, he was often outspending time with his girlfriend at the time. Todd would say he wanted to return home to live with his mother, but that was often delayed due to excuses his mother would make, which is kind of sad because I mean he was kind of a character. But it would also hurt regardless, Like, yeah, both your parents not really wanting you to be super present in their life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean you have responsibilities as a parent, and I mean doing that sort of stuff your kids see it. Your kids definitely see it.
Speaker 1: Like you.
Speaker 2: I've seen reels before of like a little like on Instagram of these like five year old kids at Christmas concerts and stuff, and they're looking out the audience.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: And when they see their parents, they just fucking light up. Right, So imagine if they're looking for their parents and the parents isn't there, Yeah, they're gonna be crushed. They don't forget that shit.
Speaker 1: They don't. Actually, Oh my gosh, that is so true. You always see like the kids literally they look, they look, and if you're not there, they know, and yeah, that does not leave them at all. So in nineteen eighty six, while still in Arizona, Todd's dark side would show its true colors. Here we go, folks, let's do it. On November twenty fifth, nineteen eighty six, fifteen year old Todd would kidnap his fourteen year old neighbor, a girl he had a crush on but who didn't share the same feelings. She was watching her younger siblings at the time when Todd came over, threatened her with a point twenty two caliber revolver and insisted that she come back to his home with him. Once there, he tied her up, taped her mouth shut, and raped her. What an ass like fourteen and fifteen, Like, oh wow, shit, that just it just makes your sick sickening.
Speaker 2: Discussing that a fifteen year old would be capable or even have the thoughts to do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and she was literally at home watching her like I think it was six and.
Speaker 2: Three year old. Wow.
Speaker 1: When the Nightmare Act was over, he walked his neighbor back home and threatened to kill her little siblings if she told anyone what happened.
Speaker 2: Did she tell anyone? She did tell?
Speaker 1: She did good, she told Todd would would, however, later be charged with the crime. He was charged with kidnapping, sexual assault, and committing a dangerous crime against a child. In nineteen eighty seven, he pled guilty to the kidnapping charge so that the other charges would be dropped, which.
Speaker 2: I just mess your sentence.
Speaker 1: I don't get that. I don't think that's like right, but whatever, I don't think. I mean it's because then they're guaranteed to get something right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I just I don't know that whole thing. I understand it, but I don't have the same same time, the thing that really gets me is how can a lawyer defend that? Yeah, Like a lawyer specifically walked into court and said, we're going to get you a lesser charge. How the fuck can you sleep at night.
Speaker 1: I know, I think I actually talk about this. Yeah, I have a sentence in here about that later, because I'm just like, I have no idea how defense lers can go about defending like absolute scam of the earth. It would be a super hard job. And so is it just because for the money? Like are they just doing it for the money?
Speaker 2: It's their job yet they I don't know how they disassociate that and how they can defend someone like that.
Speaker 1: I think that would just be so ridiculously hard.
Speaker 2: I understand everyone needs a defense. I get that. Yeah, but if someone's like, you did these five things, well we'll plead guilty to just one of them, and well we'll pretend the others didn't happen. Fuck no, you did all those things. I'm going to defend you for all these things, and you're going to take responsibility for it, Like like you.
Speaker 1: Know, yeah, I know, I don't think I could be. That could not be a job that I did not do.
Speaker 2: There's no way I could do it either.
Speaker 1: So Todd was sentenced to fifteen years in prison and registered as a sex offender.
Speaker 2: You know, that's actually kind of impressive that.
Speaker 1: I know, we've had a lot of cases where like, oh, he gets like two.
Speaker 2: Years and he's a minor. He's fifteen.
Speaker 1: Well they did, I'm trying, they tried him as an adult.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, yeah, see that's pretty impressive.
Speaker 1: So there you go. So the justice system doesn't always fail us there.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, though I think it should be more. But comparatively, that's impressive.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, it probably should be more because what I'm i about to say here, the judge in the case said Todd was very bright. He did have a this is what the judge said. This is just a side note. He did have an average IQ of one hundred and eighteen. So the judge said he was very bright and should be advanced academically, but behaviorally and emotionally, he's dangerous and likely could not be rehabilit rehabilitated. Wow, okay, so that's scary. For that is very someone at that age. I mean, I feel like you should be able to be rehabilitated at that age.
Speaker 2: And for a judge to have that sort of foresight too, I'm assuming it was a couple of years after the incident where he actually would receive his sentencing, So he's probably like seventeen at this time or so. Yeah, but at seventeen after a first incident for a judge to be able to see that and say, yeah, you can't rehabilitate this individual.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but the thing is he's so young and he's only getting fifteen years, so he's coming out, Yeah, which is terrifying.
Speaker 2: That is exactly. It's absolutely terrifying about this individual. And that's impressive on the judges side. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Wow, Okay, the judge I think probably did the best they could and like gave them the highest sentence they could, right because they felt that way. Todd's probation officer wrote a similar description in court papers and added that he felt like He added that Todd felt the world owed him something fuck off, which uh. Todd's attorney, however, said he did not believe his client would go on to harm others in the future. And that's where I'm like, whatever helps you sleep a night, buddy, because like that's his job. That's just how you're probably getting through this. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, he's he's got a that's his job to paint his client in the best picture possible, and that's what he has to say, though he knows he's lying through his fucking teeth.
Speaker 1: Yep. So while in prison, Todd initially showed some violent behavior, but it didn't carry on, and as he hit his twenties, it kind of seemed to stop. While he was in prison, though, he did go about getting himself a bachelor's degree in computer science from the Central Arizona College, which was like, that's like pretty impressive, that is actually, And I was also like curious, who the heck pays for that.
Speaker 2: I'm sure there's certain programs in facilities like that where the government pays for it, because if you look it in the way of like its rehabilitation. So they're gonna be going back into society, they're going to need jobs and stuff. So I honestly don't have quarrels with the government knowing that.
Speaker 1: But like the fact that you can get a free degree like that, like, holy crap, that's amazing because that shit's not cheap.
Speaker 2: No, but also you're locked away for how many years?
Speaker 1: Well yeah, because you get something bad.
Speaker 2: Though, Yeah, but you know what I'm trying to say.
Speaker 1: I know what you're trying to say. But it's also like, wow, like a free degree. I could have used that.
Speaker 2: But anyway, we'll go to jail.
Speaker 1: No. He was released in August of two thousand and one at the age of thirty and moved back to South Carolina, where his mother was living and he seemed like he was determined to make something of himself good. From January two thousand and two to November two thousand and three, Todd worked as a graphic designer for a company in Spartanburg. In two thousand and three, he also began studying at Greenville Technical College, later transferring to the University of South Carolina upstate, obtaining himself another university degree in two thousand and eight, this time in business administration marketing. Wow, that's very impressive that it is two degrees I feel like right, But back in two thousand and three, we want to go back here because this would be the year his anger got the best of him once again.
Speaker 2: No shit.
Speaker 1: Todd saved up his money to purchase a motorcycle from Superbike Motorsports, not being as experience of a rider, but rather someone who was learning. It was obvious quite early that the bike that Todd had decided to purchase was just too much of a bike for him. Yeah, so he went back to the bike shop to see if he could return this motorcycle. But this request didn't go so well. It's unclear what exactly was said, but it was later reported by Todd's mother that the employees laughed at him and would not allow him to return the bike, embarrassing him for not knowing how to ride properly.
Speaker 2: There's a couple things there. I mean, of course, you can't just fucking return a.
Speaker 1: Vehicle he purchased, Like, I mean, we just got a vehicle last year. If I thought it was a piece of shit, I don't think I could just be like, I'm returning this.
Speaker 2: No, they would buy it back at a discounted price. They could sell it again and you know, get more money. Yeah, that's how vehicle purchases work.
Speaker 1: But then there is also this thing called customer service.
Speaker 2: Yes, and you don't fucking laugh at someone. And they shouldn't have sold him a bike that he couldn't have handled to begin with.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that's not also their fault either. Technically, I don't think, and we don't technically know for sure what they did. This Tod guy could have rearranged how they treated him, that's true, And maybe he was overly sent or something. Right.
Speaker 2: It's funny though about this conversation because it was only a few weeks ago. I was down the rabbit hole on YouTube and I just so happened to watch a video of some biker YouTube dude who is going to bike shops undercover because he's like quite a big name in the industry or whatever, Okay, undercover and trying to pretend to be a newbie biker who doesn't know what he's wanting and just trying to buy the strongest, most powerful bike you can okay, and seeing if the shops would sell it to him being a newbie, or if they'd actually be like, no, you need a smaller bike for your own safety.
Speaker 1: Really, because I'm imagining the more of a bike is like more awesome, more expensive.
Speaker 2: R Yes, it is. So is it an ethics thing or are they just going to try and make money? And actually, surprisingly most shops were like, yeah, you don't you need a smaller bike, dude.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's so good because yeah, business, Like I have a business theory as well, and like we actually went through ethics like a lot in that degree. Yeah, because that's.
Speaker 2: Bad one hundred percent. So if this shop didn't practice those ethics. Yeah, that is really bad on them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so so, But I mean it does not justify what what came to them. A normal person would most likely accept this fate, maybe have written the business and not so hot review, you know, yep. On I was gonna say Amazon, but not on Amazon.
Speaker 2: Google, Google one star.
Speaker 1: But because there would be the option to privately sell that bike and use that money to purchase one that was a better fit for them, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, kind of take your loss and keep going.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but not Todd, but not Todd, but not Todd. Instead, on November sixth, two thousand and three, he went back to Superbike Motor Motorsports and he pretended to browse the bikes until no more customers were present in the shop, and he went about shooting every single employee there at the time.
Speaker 2: That is so fucked up, Like that's.
Speaker 1: Like I don't care what the fuck they did, Like that is just never justified.
Speaker 2: No, they hurt your feelings, so you're gonna kill them all. That is some That is some tiny pepe energy, right, That is nuts. That's little dick energy through and through it is.
Speaker 1: Tell me I'm wrong, that's just like you're a piece of shit energy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: So he started in the back killing I don't know why, I'm playing with a coaster about So he started in the back killing Chris Sherbert, who was aged twenty six. First he was the mechanic of the shop. Then he moved on to Beverly Guy, who was the bookkeeper and also mother of the shop owner. She was fifty two years old. Next would be the service manager, Brian Lucas, who was twenty nine years old, and finally the owner himself, Scott Ponder at age thirty. All four died from multiple gunshot. Jeez, like, that's who.
Speaker 2: That's terrifying.
Speaker 1: That is absolutely terrifying because they didn't really do that much wrong. So it just like makes me like sweat a little. A customer and friend of the shop was the one to stumble on the mass shooting. He was at one point considered a suspect too. He had called ahead to make sure it was cool to come and visit, and in that time it was a very short period of time of that call and his arrival was when the mass murder took place. Scott's wife, Melissa, was also considered a possible suspect for a time and this is like a wild story, and we'll give you something extratorry about something I honestly didn't even really consider could would happen. So Melissa was called to the police station a few times for questioning, because it's not rare, really that a victim's spouse would be right. Yeah, so at the time of Scott's murder, this is super sad. Melissa was actually pregnant, so leaving like this baby never got to meet his dad right. During one of the visits to the police station after the baby was born, Melissa changed the baby's diaper there, which the police later gathered the diaper and sent to the lab to test DNA, which I'm like, that seems so freaking weird to me. With the DNA coming back that the father was in fact.
Speaker 2: Not Scott, oh shit.
Speaker 1: But Brian, who was the service manager at Superbikes.
Speaker 2: Oh shit, yeah, Jerry, Jerry, Jerry. Hey.
Speaker 1: But was it actually like legal for them to take that diaper?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's disposed of, especially in their premises.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, I guess, but I just think that's so wild. I don't know. Anyway, it was thought that the men were victims of some sort of like love triangle gone wrong, right, And I don't know if that means they thought Melissa killed both Scott and Brian, which honestly makes no sense really, or hired someone to commit the act. I'm not sure, but she swore there was no love triangle and that the baby's father was Scott, and she never ever, ever budged from that. The DNA was even retested at one point, and upon her request, still showed that Brian was the father. It wasn't until later that it was figured out the blood found at the crime scene was mislabeled, so Scott and Brian's DNA had mistakenly been switched.
Speaker 2: Jerry, Jerry, that is crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So a further test confirmed that Scott was the child's father after all, and Melissa was ruled out as a suspect.
Speaker 2: Oh shit, that is wild.
Speaker 1: Holy And I'm I feel so bad for Melissa because like people like her family and like friends were actually starting to like wonder she had just like given births. So she probably hormones going through a body that are so nuts shut. She's trying to take care of this little baby that now doesn't have a father, and this is happening.
Speaker 2: The scrutiny of your own integrity being questioned, Like wow.
Speaker 1: Holy shit, Like I feel like she should have to sue someone.
Speaker 2: No, shit, gosh, I think it was you actually might be able to sue for the defamation, Like because I'm sure that came out in news articles and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, because I think what actually.
Speaker 2: Had happened clearly did if we're reading it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what happened was they had at one point tested Beverly and Scott's to DNA because Beverly was like the mom that got killed and it didn't match. So then that's when they like, oh, something's wrong here.
Speaker 2: Okay, but so bad.
Speaker 1: Anyway, this case would go unsolved four years, years, years years. It wasn't until Todd got arrested for another crime that he would be caught for the murders of these four individuals. So he got away with us for many years.
Speaker 2: Fucking dick Weed beat the guy.
Speaker 1: So now moving on to two thousand and six, Todd would go about getting his real estate license. He allegedly admitted he had a felony conviction when he applied for his real estate license, but he lied in the letter he wrote explaining the charges, saying he argued with his he called her his girlfriend. Police were called. He had a gun and was caught up in a crackdown on gun violence. So like, basically his felony was no big deal, was no big deal, and they granted him the license. What time? Like, how does that even work that someone would believe this person when they have like a record, but that he can talk himself out of it. That that's just.
Speaker 2: Well, it's one of those things that these people like this who are often serial killers, are master manipulators.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, they are there, And I mean he's going into a real realtor too. Lots of times those kind of people are like pretty smooth and like SALESMANI kind of right, yeah, salesman, saleswoman. Yeah. He then went on to build a real estate firm which had a dozen plus agents and had been recognized as a top selling agent in the Carolina region. So he was like he was doing good. A client who used Todd to sell his home her home described him as an extremely outgoing and professional individual, but did note that he would often talk about his firearms and some sometimes subtly use sexual Indian Indians. I can't say that Indiendo's innuendos indiandos just kidding smooth. Yeah. During their conversation, so like he was like good, but he was also like weird. That's just weird. I don't think i'd be okay with that as a realtor. Like, if I was had this.
Speaker 2: Realtor, I'm gonna continue on with my small pp energy. Honestly, I think, oh, it just gets worse, dude. Yeah.
Speaker 1: However, a woman who assisted one of Todd's employees would describe him as angry and condescending towards his partner. He apparently would also watch porn at work, which is really disturbing.
Speaker 2: I don't want to know what the underside of his desk looked like.
Speaker 1: Oh bend Oh sorry, ew.
Speaker 2: I just said I don't want to know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that made me visualized shit, but I don't like that. Sorry, Oh, where are we okay? He goes to stand up his pants during During this time, he also acquired We're moving on a private pilot license and several properties, including a nearly one hundred acre piece of land in May of twenty fourteen.
Speaker 2: Nice piece of property.
Speaker 1: This was located near the community of more So. He purchased the land for just over three hundred thousand. So even though this dude, this dude was a registered sex offender mass murderer, he was basically like thriving and living his best fucking life, which was so irritating, so irritating to me.
Speaker 2: And I don't understand, Like I understand that they're they're smooth talkers, they're slick, they slipped through the cracks, But how it just keeps happening. It's like case after case after case. It fucking bothers me so much because there's only so many people out there who are like this, who are doing those things, but it seems like such a high percentage of them fucking get away with it for a long time.
Speaker 1: No, yeah, just constantly. I mean I kind of wish in a sense, not that I had like serial killer traits, but just like the smooth talker, like yeah, like awesome kind of thing. Yeah that wasn't smooth, Yeah, I know, because I don't have it. I wish I did. I wish I had a little bit of that, just a little bit, just a little bit, not like the arrogance part of it, gotcha fair enough, Okay, So this would soon catch up to him, and the sinister plans he had for this newly acquired one hundred acre property, a property that he would spend an additional eighty thousand dollars to have fenced. Wow, but what was it that he was wanting to hide?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Who the thock knows, but I'm sure your boats tell us well.
Speaker 1: Fast forward to November third, twenty sixteen. Authorities were at Todd's one hundred acre property with a search warrant. They were also at Todd's home with the search warn't, making sure they were covering their bases and not allowing Todd to get away with any more of his nonsense.
Speaker 2: Good.
Speaker 1: They were investigating and searching for a missing couple, Kayla Brown and Charles David Carver, who were reported missing by Charles's mom on September third. They were led to Todd's property.
Speaker 2: Oh shit, what did he do now?
Speaker 1: The last time the couple had been in contact with anyone was on August thirty first, when Kayla sent a text to a friend early in the morning asking if they were awake. When the friend responded several hours later, they never heard back from Kayla. On September fifth, after Kayla's friend had reported the couple as missing. The police went to check Kayla's apartment, where they came across her dog, who had been left alone in the apartment without food. So if that is not a red flag, that shit's gone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, because as we know, people do not just leave their fucking dogs unattended.
Speaker 1: No. Oh, that it's almost like just breaks my he heart, no kidding, oh my gosh. Like, yeah, if someone comes here and these dogs have been like peeing and doing whatever and have no food, like.
Speaker 2: We dead, we need help.
Speaker 1: So then in September and early October, strange posts were being made to Charles's Facebook posts indicating that the couple just got married and that they were fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, that's that's that's shady as fuck.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's like super weird.
Speaker 2: So they're missing, their dog is starving, and his Facebook post says, oh we're fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah. The posts made the families of the missing couple even more on edge as they appeared to be fake and so random, considering no one was able to reach the couple, like that would just be so I'm sure that's so out of character. Right.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Plus, I mean who uses Facebook anymore? No, I'm just kidding, I do. I know. I so.
Speaker 1: Once Cala's last now cell phone single was determined to be on Todd's property, the Spartanburg Sheriff Office investigators went there and to Todd's residence on November three. It was on his property that they heard a banging noise coming from inside a metal shipping container. That must just be so eerie, Like I couldn't imagine the adrenaline going on with Oh. So the shipping container was locked up tight with numerous locks, but once investigators got the got removed the locks and entered, they found Kayla at the very rear of the dark container. She was chained up like a dog with a chain around her neck and a cuff around her ankle.
Speaker 2: Fuck girl, I.
Speaker 1: Know, like there's okay, this is actually really disturbing. But there's actually like a video out of her them coming in there and like her being on it was dog beds actually that she was on. But I'm just like, I feel like that shouldn't be out there.
Speaker 2: I yeah, I think so, And I think I've seen.
Speaker 1: Like that's getting rescued, like that's private.
Speaker 2: I feel like, yeah, But like I said, I think I've seen a documentary on this case. I can't remember a fucking single detail, but I do remember someone being rescued from a shipping container and seeing that footage, and yeah, it's just heartbreaking.
Speaker 1: I know. I just don't like that that's out there. So she had been kept there for two months, where she was repeatedly raped twice a day.
Speaker 2: And twice a day yeah fuck.
Speaker 1: And intimidated into not escaping after witnessing Todd shoot her boyfriend Charles dead with multiple gunshots and being shown the graves graves of Todd's other victims.
Speaker 2: Wow, can you imagine the psychology behind that? What you're thinking? I know, after seeing that and being locked up and going through all that for two.
Speaker 1: Months, I know, like I don't even know imagine.
Speaker 2: The euphoria when you're finally rescued.
Speaker 1: So Tod told her as long as she served her purpose, she was safe. She said. He would get there daily between one and three and again between five and seven. He'd take her up to the main building, feed her, and make her do whatever he wanted sexually, and then bring her back to the shipping container. Like that is God, that is just two months of complete hell.
Speaker 2: This guy's absolute scum.
Speaker 1: Kayla had known Todd, though She had been working for him cleaning houses and clearing properties before Todd offered them for rent. They were at Todd's property the day they went missing because he had hired them to remove some underbrush. So I think that's so crazy that she also knew this person.
Speaker 2: It is because.
Speaker 1: There was other reports I don't have in here that said she didn't really have gotten in bad vibes or anything for him from him prior to Like, I don't think she would have gone if she had, right, But.
Speaker 2: That brings up the argument of someone, yes, who's all sly and stuff, and these fucking psychopaths have the tendency to be able to do this in the manipulation.
Speaker 1: Exactly exactly how many times are we going to be bringing that updated?
Speaker 2: Well, it's it's a very real factor in these sort of cases. It's terrifying, but it's real.
Speaker 1: So like people who are just too smooth, like run for the hills, I.
Speaker 2: Guess, I guess. So, I don't know if they're awkward as fuck, you know, the safe Yeah.
Speaker 1: So. Charles's body was later found in a shallow grave on the property, along with another couple, husband and wife, Johnny Coxy and Megan McRae Coxy. They were residents of Spartanburg, and the pair was reported missing on December twenty second, twenty fifteen. Like Kaylin Charles Sorry, they were hired by Todd to work on his property. Megan was killed by a gunshot wound to her head on December twenty fifth or twenty six, while Johnny was killed about a week earlier with a gunshot wound to his Torso.
Speaker 2: So you know that week that she was alive after him, she went through the same sort of shit. Probably she probably tried to escape, which is why she was killed.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I think there were some reports basically that she wasn't pleasing him like he wanted, or wasn't like playing his game right like she was. I mean, how did he word it, let me just go? How did he word it?
Speaker 2: She was probably like no use to him or something like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can't remember how he worded it for Kayla. But yeah, like you had to play the game basically to stay alive, which is disturbing. And then also something that I don't have in here too, is that Johnny and Megan they had were I think they had just gotten out of prison or they were supposed to be going into prison too, so they were missing. But then I think a lot of people potentially thought maybe they had just like I don't know, gone under radar or something, so it didn't seem like them as missing. People were looked at quite as intensely as understanding and Charles. Okay, yeah, so Todd was of course arrested after Kayla's rescue. He would confess to the Superbike motor sports shootings. Confess, yeah, and the murders of Johnny and Meghan in exchange. There's always they always want something if they're confessing to share, right, in exchange, to have a conversation with his his mother, give her a photograph, and transfer money to the college fund of a friend's child. So that was what he wanted when he confessed to the superbike murders. He said he shot each of the victims once in the forehead, which was a detail that was never released to the public, so they pretty much knew.
Speaker 2: That, okay, that he was the one.
Speaker 1: The search of Todd's property also uncovered numerous weapons and ammunition, all believed to be purchased illegally, but did but they did not come up with any other bodies they did not.
Speaker 2: Really, there's probably more graves out there.
Speaker 1: They did it. I would imagine they would have done a very thorough search.
Speaker 2: One hundred acres is a big property, though.
Speaker 1: It is, but I feel like they would have. But I mean, they had dogs and stuff out there too.
Speaker 2: And who knows as a realtor what other access he had to other properties that may not have been his own but he was selling or looking after for a week or something like that or who knows, right.
Speaker 1: And you can sometimes fool those dogs too, right, they don't always sniff out the bodies too. So So now, something I haven't touched on yet is Todd's nickname.
Speaker 2: The Amazon review Killer.
Speaker 1: The Amazon review killer, so this is a bit wild. Shortly after Todd's arrest, authorities discovered a number of seemingly jokingly joking product reviews on Amazon dot Com for various items such as a chainsaw, pot or padlocks, shovels, tasers, and gun accessories, written by a user known as simply me. It was me in quotations me, which is weird. So I'm going to say some of these reviews, it's just I There was quite a few, but I think I picked like four or five here so run review about a padlock stated solid locks have five on a shipping container. Won't stop them, but sure will slow them down till they are too old to care. So that one doesn't seem too bad. It could just mean in regard to someone trying to break into his shipping container.
Speaker 2: Potentially, I guess, yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't know if probably not, but probably not, probably not. Another padlock review said works great. Also if someone talks back, go old school on them by putting this in a sock and beating them. They will not appreciate the hard and steel like you will. Works great on shipping containers too, all right, Okay that's kind of fucked up.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: On his it just gets more and more fucked up. I feel like on his chainsaw review, he wrote works excellent. Getting the neighbor to stand still while you chase him with it is hard enough without having an easy to use chainsaw.
Speaker 2: I'm wondering, like, are these progressive, Like well, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know if this is the order that that he wrote them or anything.
Speaker 2: But but I'm just thinking in the perspective of I mean, as a killer gets more and more cocky because you're getting away with things. He's probably doing more and more boastful tight.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, he was getting away with.
Speaker 2: A lot of things, probably getting off on this sort of sho.
Speaker 1: So there is another written for a folding shovel. It's mus much worse. It read keeping car for when you have to hide the bodies and you left the full size shovel at home does not come with a midget, which would have been nice.
Speaker 2: That's offensive, but there I understand the humor it, yeah.
Speaker 1: But still, and then he's also talking about the bearing bodies. Yes, like what the frig? So this is the last one I'll read. It was on a knife and it says haven't stabbed anyone yet yet, but I'm keeping the dream alive and when I do, it will be with a quality tool like this.
Speaker 2: Okay. Yeah, that one is just dark that there's no humor in that. That's just dark.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So the reviewer's wishless page was listed like listed his name as Todd coolhep.
Speaker 2: So you know, as someone who really likes to do reviews, you think he would have just reviewed that bike shop instead of going into the gun. Just no shit.
Speaker 1: Actually I even said something about that earlier. He had just done a review a one star and saved four people's lives. Todd was charged with four counts of murder in relation to the Superbike murders and one count of kidnapping in relation to Kayla's abduction. He was later charged with three additional counts of murder for the murders of Charles, Johnny and Meghan, along with one additional count of kidnapping and three counts of possession of a weapon during the commission of a violent crime. There were also civil lawsuits filed against him from relatives of the Superbike murders and Kayla herself. So seventeen, Todd pleaded guilty to seven counts of murder, two counts of kidnapping, and one count of criminal sexual assault. He pleaded guilty to be spare from capital punishment.
Speaker 2: I've got a whole boat of emotions for that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah. He was sentenced to seven consecutive life sentences without the possibility of parole.
Speaker 2: Good. Good, At least he's locked up forever.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So this guy, like, I feel like he is getting sentenced fairly well. But then he also just like really got away with things for far too long too.
Speaker 2: Yeah he did, he really did.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So although his defense swore at his sentencing that there were no more victims, there has been a lot of speculation that Todd's victim count is much higher than seven.
Speaker 2: Wouldn't be surprised.
Speaker 1: The superbike mass murder happened in two thousand and three and then he didn't strike again until twenty fifteen. That is like, that's a big gap.
Speaker 2: That is huge generally with these sort of things, like you see people with the these killer tendencies. If for lack of better words, there's there's sometimes gaps and there's usually a reason for it. I mean, we've covered some before where a girlfriend or a kid's or something like that. But he doesn't have any reasons for that gap. So anytime there is a gap other than reasons, they go in hiding. He had no reason to go into hiding.
Speaker 1: Well, especially because he I mean, he did that mass murder and broad daylighting got completely away with it. So that is in his mind that would have just probably feel the fire right.
Speaker 2: If anything, he probably got a high from it and wanted to do it again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So.
Speaker 2: Not to say that he couldn't have gone that long without doing it, but the odds are pretty fucking.
Speaker 1: S I know so Todd himself though also repeatedly admitted there are at least two other murders, at least at least because there are other times where he would admit that. So here on the next sentence, he even told his mother there are other victims when she and when she asked how many, his response was, you do not have enough fingers.
Speaker 2: I've heard that quote actually before. I've heard about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so police had they have began investigating, searching through like unsolved homicides, as Todd claimed to have shot a victim in Arizona during his interrogation. They also named Todd as a person of interest in an unsolved bank robbery and triple homicide that happened in in guer South Carolina, and that was the same year that the superbike murders took place, but there was no definitive link and Todd was had denied.
Speaker 2: Any involvement, of course he did.
Speaker 1: He has yet to give authorities any further details into more crimes he's committed.
Speaker 2: Honestly, like, what's what's the point of him buttoning up? He's behind bars, no chance for right now.
Speaker 1: But then also it's probably a game, like maybe one he's saving it for something like I don't know see.
Speaker 2: For me, And I mean, I don't have this mindset, so I could be way off, or at least I really hope I don't have this mindset.
Speaker 1: Probably I'm hoping so too well.
Speaker 2: I'm picturing someone like that being behind bars. The only way he's going to ever relay or relive these sort of feelings of euphoria doing these things again is by discussing with the cops. You know his past. So there's two options. One, like you say, prolonging it and having these games with the cops, but eventually your game's gonna run out and you're gonna die and people just won't know about it. So how long are you gonna go? Or Two, you tell the story, you tell how many victims are, you say where the bodies are, you have major headlines about it, and you go down in history with your body count, which would probably make him feel as big as he possibly could. Yeah, that's my thought process and how I think like they would feel. I think they have those two options. Deny it, play games which is minimal, or announce it and be have that body count as high as you can.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because he was all about his body count being high like he wanted it high.
Speaker 2: Most of them are.
Speaker 1: And I mean he's only but he's only like fifty one years old, right, so is he Like that's pretty young? I feel like, so is he holding out for something? I have no idea, I don't know. I don't know, but it would be very much so, like you said, probably in his best interestice to come out with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, honestly, you have people who at rest then you really do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he doesn't give a shit about that.
Speaker 2: No, but in his perspective, at least he could then for lack of better words, and I hate to say it like this and give him that sort of tangible credit, but like go down in history read with his body counting hum and his story and what he did, and you know, yeah, I mean that fucking sickens me to say it, but you know.
Speaker 1: What I mean, Yeah, I know what you mean. So anyway, that's the story.
Speaker 2: That's that Fuck that guy. Yeah, Honestly, the whole best part of this story, because this guy's a piece of shit, was the whole Jerry Springer moment with the DNA being mixed up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's Yeah, there was a lot of really like crazy little didbits in this And the fact too that he went and did Amazon reviews is.
Speaker 2: That just shows me easy what kind of fucking person he is. I mean, if anything else, doesn't you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: But yeah, but then that he could be has still been such a highly successful realtor too. Oh that just makes me ill.
Speaker 2: Well, like you said, his intelligence, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so and he was a smooth talker, so he probably knew really he probably did sold houses really well.
Speaker 2: Just because he's smart doesn't mean he's a good person.
Speaker 1: No, oh gosh, not at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that was a good case. Good job, Yeah, there you go. Good job covering it and delivering it and giving us Jerry, Jerry, that was all you. Well, I mean, you delivered it. I was just the crowd chanting at you. You were Jerry Springer. Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I hope everyone enjoyed that.
Speaker 2: Mika would have been that bald bouncer guy. What's it, Steve? I think, well, I'm not sure. Yeah, there was some bouncers off to the side. Our dogs would have been the bouncers.
Speaker 1: Kiwi would have been the true bouncer.
Speaker 2: Oh, you don't want to fuck with Kiwi. No, you definitely know old man Kiwi. All right, well, thanks thanks for being here, thanks for the awesome episode. Bit you want to you want to give everyone the rundown in our socials this time or you want me to keep doing it?
Speaker 1: Well, I mean you have this spiel down pat here. But we're on what are we on? We're on Instagram, We're on Twitter. We have Patreon, which is super cool, and we have a website.
Speaker 2: And we have a Facebook page.
Speaker 1: Did I not say Facebook?
Speaker 2: You didn't? You said in stuff but you moved on.
Speaker 1: Okay, insince where it's at. But no, Facebook is cool too. Yeah, so there's actually a lot of cool people on Facebook too. There is.
Speaker 2: So we have yeah, Instagram, Facebook, website, Patreon, and of course the newly founded Twitter, which we got to get a little more active on.
Speaker 1: And we have merch and we have merch Merch, Merch, merch.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So go join us on any of those platforms if you feel so inclined. If not, we'll just see you next week. We appreciate you listening, we appreciate you being here, and we appreciate how wicked you guys are. So, of course, until next time, stay wicked.