Speaker 1: It's nice size Ray. I'm going you easy Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 2: Thanks very much, Al Griffin. As we head into the twentieth and final hour of the week. Before we go there, I want to once again thank Mark missilback extraordinary CPA. If you're interested in contacting them, believe me, they have plenty of work. He's with a company called it's an LLC called Cherry Beckert Advisory. They're at eight hundred South Street in Waltham, in number seven eight one four five three eighty seven hundred. As you know, he deals with a lot of complex tax returns. But nobody knows the business I think better than Mark. He's just a walking encyclopedia. Okay, so what are we going to do tonight here on Nightside. This is the twentieth hour. For those of you who do not listen regularly, have never listened before, we call this the twentieth hour because it's the end of the week. It's the end of my on air week. Every week, well most every week. We do five programs Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, four hours each from eight to until midnight. Therefore we have twenty hours and in the twentieth hour, we try to get a little light going into the weekend. The topic we're going to talk about tonight in the twentieth hour. It is normally we will do things like brushes with celebrity, what grinds your gears. We're going to do a different topic tonight, and I'm going to give you a chance to jump on the topic early and as you dial in, we then will give you a quick review of all the topics and issues we cover this week, which always is extraordinary. But this weekend we revert to daylight savings time. And as I think everyone should know, sometime on Sunday morning, miraculously, the clock will move from two am to three am. That's the hour of sleep that you lose. Back in the fall, the clock sit for an hour and you'd gain an extra hour's worth of sleep. The fact of the matter is daylight savings time doesn't change the amount of daylight that we get in any given day. What determines our daylight is the time of year and our relationship with the sun. So as the sun travels, you know, in terms, as we turn around the sun, and it would appear the sun stays still, but as the sun in effect shines more because as the Earth turns on the southern hemisphere, we get less daylight. So in the wintertime it's not uncommon at the height of winter to have sunrise or around seven am and sunset in the afternoon around four pm. So in the deep dark days of December we have nine hours of sunlight. And in the summertime, when we do daylight savings time in the middle of June, we have the sun rising sometimes as close to five o'clock if five am in the morning, and it doesn't set until nine o'clock at night. So conversely, we have the most sun we have. What that's I think, Well, I'm trying to do the math here. That's three four I guess sixteen hours of sunlight. It's just the opposite. So the question is when do you want the more sunlight. I would be happy with daylight saving time throughout the year, meaning I would rather have an extra hour of sun in the afternoon. What that would mean would be that in December, instead of the sun setting at four to ten, it would set at five to ten. It would mean that we would be during the summer we would have daylight savings time, so we would still have some sunsets after eight o'clock inly, you know, late June, early July. Now there's it's kind of a fifty to fifty question. As President Trump mentioned yesterday, he was doing an availability at the in the Oval Office and he was asked by a reporter. It was a reporter from one of the cable networks what he thought about daylight savings time. This is cut number three. You'll get the question and the president's answer, when.
Speaker 1: Are you going to get rid of daylight savings?
Speaker 3: Okay, are you ready?
Speaker 4: This should be the easiest.
Speaker 2: One of all.
Speaker 3: But it's a fifty fifty issue. And if something's a fifty fifty issue, and so I could get excited about it.
Speaker 4: I assume people.
Speaker 3: Would like to have more light later, but some people want to have more light earlier because they don't want to take their kids to school in the dark. And it's very much it's a little bit one way, but it's very much a fifty fifty issue, and it's something I can do. But a lot of people like it one way. A lot of people like it.
Speaker 2: By the way.
Speaker 3: It's very even, and usually I find when that's the case, what else do we have to do?
Speaker 2: So first, of all, I'm not so sure this was passed by Congress. I'm not so sure that an executive order can change this, but we'd have to do some legislative research on that. It doesn't sound to me like the President is going to change it. There were some stories this morning that that suggested this might be the last daylight time that we would switch, because the implication was we would stay with daylight savings time. I want to hear from you. I will tell you I don't care if it's fifty to fifty. I want the maximum sun later in the day. Look on weekends, if it's an extra hour of darkness in the morning that allows you to sleep in a little better. Now, the one argument against it is that little kids are going to school in the morning and that it's more dangerous. So sure these statistics back that up. But nonetheless, my bias here is very clear. I like the idea of longer days during the worst sun year round. That's what I'm saying. I want daylight savings time year round. I don't like the idea of the sun not coming up until seven o'clock in the morning in the winter. So if we stuck with daylight savings time year round. We would we would have we would have our It would still be dark, it would still be dark in the winter, but we would have some extra sunlight in the afternoon. That's when I want to maximize sunlight in the afternoon. That's what I'm That's my position, So I would like to have daylight savings time year round. Those of you who just agree, you more than welcome to join the conversation very quickly. What did we do this week? Here are just some of the topics. We talked with a gentleman named Charles Farrell on Monday, truly renaissance man man who was a jazz pianist. Also was a boxing manager. Believe it or not, how you square those two different occupations in one life, I don't know. We talked with Kathy Albert about the New England Postcard Club that's having a meeting this weekend. We talked with Brian Templeton no relation I do not believe to Mike Templeton, our producer tonight. He's a farmer from New Hampshire and is renting chickens to people. You can have a backyard chicken. We talked backyard chickens during the summertime with the unbelievable story. We talked with Kareen Karen Kareeene excuse me, Kareene Hajar Editroyal writer of the Boston Globe. We talked about Mayor Who's preparations for her hearing in washing Washington. On Tuesday, we spent at our previewing President Trump's addressed to the Joint Session of Congress. We heard his speech during the nine o'clock well into the ten o'clock hour, and then the Democratic response with Senator Alyssa Slotnick of Michigan, and we had call a reaction. On Wednesday night, comedian TJ. Miller joined us. I liked that interview a lot. Mike Van Reed talked about National Latter Safety Month, doctor Tracy Woodworff talked about get rid of those black cooking utensils. They have some plastics in it which can be dangerous. And we talked with Lance Throukill about trade wars. We also, of course, then spent three hours talking about Mayor Woo's performance in Washington, which I thought she did pretty well. Of course, the Boston taxpayers paid quite a bit of money, about six hundred and fifty thousand dollars prepping her and her staff. Last night, talked with doctor Laura Nasuti about long wakes in Massachusetts emergency rooms. With doctor Scott Bond, He's coming to Boston to the Wilberth Theater very soon. He does a program on serial killers. Talk with doctor Debor Cardo about anti aging pills for dogs, and talk with doctor Ardie Grover about daylight saving time. Exactly what we're talking about tonight. Last night at nine o'clock, mass State Auditor Diana Desauglio I am with the State Auditor on auditing the legislature one hundred percent. We talked about DOGE perhaps being a little bit out over its skis and their efforts to strength the size of government. They actually sent letters to volunteers medical volunteers who show up on a moment's notice to help out when a crisis occurs anywhere in the country, asking what they did last week. Well, they only work for the government at a small amount of money when they are actually going to areas of the country that have been disastered disasters. Tonight, we talked with Lee Richardson about swearing. She's a psychologist, a doctor. Swearing linked to increase pain tolerance and strength doctor Christina Laporte her new book Change of Heart. She is a cardiologist and now a novelist. Derek olivera about the ten dirtiest spots in hotel room, something to be thinking of as the travel season approaches. And talk with Brian Thompson of a ACI Weather he's a meteorologist, about those high winds today. And just spend two hours with Mark Misselpeck CPA extraordinary a tax advice for listeners. So when we get back, the only line that is open right now is one at six, one, seven, two, five, four, ten thirty. Are you a fan of daylight savings time, meaning more light in the evening and afternoon and less light in the morning. I'm a daylight savings guy. I wish they would leave it at daylight savings and quit switching back and forth because I want the maximum amount. The amount of sunlight we get during the days is not a function of Congress. It's a function of the universe. And in the winter time we get less sunlight. In the summertime we get more sunlight. But in terms of how we would apportion that sunlight, give me the maximum sunlight in the afternoon if you're confused, feel free to call in and I'll explain it to you. We'll be back. The lines are now full. You can stop stop dialing right now. This is our twentieth hour. It's a different type of twentieth hour, but god, I think it's a good topic to discuss. We'll be back on Nightside right after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan ray Line from the Window World night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, let's go to the phones. Let's see Laurie from Idaho. I'm guessing Laurie's gonna agree with me. I could be wrong. Let's see what she says. Hey, Laurie, how are you tonight?
Speaker 5: First and in line, amaze you are dead on.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I am not a learning person, mostly because I'm a night owl. But no, I would much rather get up in the dark and not have it dark at three thirty in the afternoon. So absolutely daylight saving all year.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Now, the argument is that when you keep the light in the afternoon maximum throughout the year, go to daylight savings time throughout the year. Then in the morning, kids at the bus stop, it's going to be depending upon what time they start school, it's going to be darker, they're going to be going to school in the dark. At the same time, there'll be more time for them maybe to play outside in the afternoon. So there's a benefit for kids depending upon whatever. It doesn't change my mind, they suspect it doesn't change yours.
Speaker 5: Either well, And depending on where you are in the United States, if they turn it back to standard time in the winter, there is a point in the winter even with the clock change, the kids are standing in the dark at the bus stop. So seriously true, very true. If you're in the northern part of the United States, yes, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Now, also the further the further east you are, if you're in a time zone, there's also a factor there because you know, if you're in a city like I'm thinking of maybe Indianapolis, which is Central time, and that you can have cities in Kansas with a Central time. There's quite a distance between western Kansas and eastern Indiana.
Speaker 5: So all right, yeah, it was like where I am, I'm right on the edge of the time zone here, so it's light till ten o'clock at night out here during early siven times.
Speaker 2: So oh, like yeah, I mean that is so great to experience that during the summertime, and when it starts to go away in August, you know, when all of a sudden you realize that, hey, you know these long summer nights, they're not long anymore.
Speaker 5: Now, you know.
Speaker 2: It starts to you know, when it goes past eight o'clock and it's light until eight fifteen. At least it is here now, and then when it goes back the other way, it's a short little period of time there and then boom, all of a sudden, you realize we're losing three minutes, four minutes a day or whatever whatever the number is. And then when you hit that, uh, that's that standard time change. It goes from yeah, five thirty afternoon and yeah, it's gone, and you know that you're in the dead of winter for about two months. Laurie, I got you down. I got you for daylight savings time. You're with me in this and I appreciate it so much. Thank you. All right, right, thanks Laura, talk to you too.
Speaker 6: Thank you all right, good night.
Speaker 2: Six one, seven thirty, triple eight, nine, two, nine, ten thirty. The President said that he thought thinks it's a fifty to fifty issue. I'm not so sure we're going to find out. Let me go to Florence in Massachusetts, Florence next on NIGHTSID.
Speaker 7: With Idanhi, Florence. I'm going I'm going to tell you in a half a minute, I wanted to mention to you that I come up with another twenty eight hour for the future. Just okay, helpful, helpful, helpful household hints, good cost effective ideas for people today where everything is getting so expensive. And maybe household safety ideas.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, maybe we could yeah, maybe we could put those together even.
Speaker 7: For one yet, Yes, that would make a good one. I think the callers would like that. Okay, Absolutely, I'll.
Speaker 2: Put that up at some point in the not too distant future. Absolutely, the household ideas, different safety, et cetera. So what do you think about daylight saving time? Do you like it? Do you do you? Essentially the question is do you like the light the extra light we have. Do you like it in the morning or in the afternoon or in the evening?
Speaker 7: No question about it. I love it in the afternoon. I don't like this for thirty in the afternoon to yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So essentially, what it would mean is that it would be in the depth of winter. It would be light until like five point thirty, so you'd have a little opportunity now in the winter, it would be a little darker later in the morning. But I think we can handle that. So I am a daylight savings guy, and I think that it's going to have to be battled out in Congress because I think it was. It was passed in its most recent It wasn't always this way, by the way it used for many, many many years. I don't have the history in front of me during the news at the bottom of the hour, I will get that history. But it came I think it was first utilized during World War One, and then it went away and then it came back. And the thing that's great about it in the spring is that kids after the long winter can get out, they can play soccer, they can playing softball in baseball, Little League and all of that, and then it just works. It works for me. Yeah, I think you know what I can win this photo night size go ahead, right.
Speaker 7: You know what I found out, especially this winter, did I find myself doing when I'm up because I'm up early, all right, and I'm looking at the window and thing, oh boy, five six o'clock, seven o'clock. Oh, let's get money. That would I get all excited.
Speaker 2: No, I know exactly what you mean. All right, Florence, thank you much, thanks so much.
Speaker 7: We'll talk to Okay, have a great take care, all.
Speaker 2: Right, good ideas. Thank you. Okay, So again we got a couple of lines six, one, seven. You have a choice. You can have the the winter again. The amount. It's not like we get magically an extra sixty minutes of light. I think everybody understands that in the winter time we have few hours of life. Hey, if you live up in northern Canada or live in northern Norway, there's no light that you have the well the winter time where you might get the sun comes up at eleven fifteen and it sets by twelve thirty. No here in New England or in the United States, wherever you're calling from. I want that extra light in the afternoon year round. That's what I want. Let's see what Let me see what Steve the truck driver wants, because Steve is a road warrior. Steve, welcome, How are you man? How you doing?
Speaker 8: Hi? Hi? Dan?
Speaker 9: Hey listen, I got a few points before you chime in, and I'll get off because I'm a regular caller. Now I want other people to call in, but one as well. You know, Jeff Bagwell played for hot for two Yes, that's right, Yeah, absolutely. My son was a son of feeling for the Waymouth Wildcats, but he made the Hotford team back in seven o eight as a middle left handed reliever at Hotford. So I'm well aware of Hotford College and when the CPA went there made me think of my son, you know, and Jeff Bagwell at Hofford.
Speaker 2: You know, it's it's a it's a good school. I'm trying to think the kid that the Red Sox have picked up. He pitched for the Braves and did really well in the National League, and then I don't know if he had some arm trouble or whatever, but he's kind of resurrecting his career. I'll get his name in a moment. You go right ahead.
Speaker 4: Tell me, thank you, sir.
Speaker 9: So what you feel about this, we think very alike, you know that. And I always wonder if it would be a topic that you and I don't agree on, so.
Speaker 2: We found it talk.
Speaker 9: I think this time I'm all for the tea.
Speaker 10: I agree with you.
Speaker 2: Oh good, great, you I know I do that.
Speaker 9: Okay, I do that with tangwe too.
Speaker 11: Yeah, okay, okay, so.
Speaker 9: Great talking to you. Hey, hey, when you set up that listener brunch. When I'm on my two trip week, I get home on Saturday, so Sunday it would work perfectly for me. But when I'm on my three trip week, I get back Sunday and I can't do I'll still do the brunch, but I'll have more rest. So hopefully when you plan it, it'll be on my two trip week.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm gonna we're gonna make a decision fairly.
Speaker 6: Soon, okay, okay, all right, I'm.
Speaker 2: Hoping that you'll be able to.
Speaker 9: I'm gonna come either way. So I just like to have a little more like another hour rest, you know, because of DSc.
Speaker 11: No, no, no.
Speaker 2: I get it. And during the breakthre I'm going to get the name of the picture.
Speaker 9: I don't know why, all right, I am too. I know I heard he's from Hoford.
Speaker 6: He went to Hartford, you know.
Speaker 10: So anyways, yeah, I'll get it.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna get him for you, right, Sean Newcomb, Sean.
Speaker 9: Newcomb, Okay, Sean newclemb all right.
Speaker 2: I think I think he's Middleborough. Was somewhere somewhere in that neck of the woods.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 2: He was really good for two or three years with the Braves and then ran into some some arm.
Speaker 9: Real quickly again against baseball. I played in the Pine Tree League up in Maine that Tangley has reference on the radio, Tom Powell. He didn't know who could really pitch fast until he faced he went to UMass and he faced Jeff Randon. He said that guy could throw fast and the curve ball, you know, and everything.
Speaker 2: Jeff ridden from Dalton, from Dalton, Massachusetts.
Speaker 9: Yeah, alrighty, So I'm on longer than I wanted to be, and I always enjoyed talking to you.
Speaker 4: But I'll.
Speaker 9: Chi it will be two miles from Chickapee terminal with Chickapee, then I'll head over the Uyork Pennsylvania.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll tell you, man, that's gonna be good. Yeah. By the way, Nukam is from Middleborough, Middleborough High School, so that's what that's what he ended. His first college win was a no hitter against Yale.
Speaker 10: So wow.
Speaker 2: His major league stats are pretty darn good and if they can bring him back, it'll be great.
Speaker 9: All right, Thank you so much, your screen caller, is really wonderful. He told me to be safe on the road like you do. And I appreciate you both.
Speaker 10: Well you time in and like that.
Speaker 2: We appreciate you.
Speaker 10: Trust all right, thank you all.
Speaker 4: I appreciate you.
Speaker 2: Joe screen tonight, all right, man talk soon, thanks mine.
Speaker 4: All right, see you Dan, be safe. All right.
Speaker 2: Let's take a quick break here at the bottom of the hour. You know, we're a couple of minutes late. Here Al Griffith, I think he's doing the newscast tonight. We'll be back with Al. The only line open is six one, seven, nine thirty. Do you like day light savings time? I want to? The question simply, is the extra light I want in the afternoon year round? Okay, it's as simple as that. We don't get extra light. We only hit so much light they're based upon. We're in the northern hemisphere, as they say, Thank god we're not by the Arctic Circle. We wouldn't see light for twenty four hours for a good part of the winter. I want my extra light in the afternoon, winter, spring, summer, fall. Let's get rid of this switch back and forth, and let's stick with it. I disagree with President Trump. This is not a fifty to fifty decision back of Nightside. Right after this, You're.
Speaker 1: On night Side with Dan Ray. I'm w Z Boston's news Radio.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much, El Griffith. Let's keep rolling. Here're gonna go to Jim Hey, Jim, welcome back.
Speaker 11: How are you, sir, Dan Hey, thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 4: How are you?
Speaker 2: I'm doing just great. So do you want that extra sunlight in the afternoon or do you want it in the morning? I like, do you like to split it up the way we're doing it now?
Speaker 11: I'm indifferent, and I'm very concerned about what other people need and what other people want, And so I'll just tell you Dan, very few people I think are aware of this, but this came This comes up a lot. And according to farmer Dave Schumacher, who does a farm show on AM five point fifty over by Saint Louis, and he has a vegetable farm over on the east side in Illinois. It's a very very fertile ground. They go a lot of vegetables. He says that dairy farmers need that that daylight in the morning in order to milk the cows. And I don't know if he was joking around about this, but he says that if those cows don't get milked, their their nipples will actually explode. So, I mean, I think milk and dairy farming is one of the few ways where people are getting nutrition in this country. So I mean, I mean, I personally don't care. We're always pushing it the business that I'm in, we always push it for you know, for daylight anyway. But I think for those dairy farmers and for farmers in general, they need that right in the daytime in the morning, well.
Speaker 2: The milk and the cows at three and four in the morning, I believe, in my opinion.
Speaker 11: I don't Yeah, I don't know. I don't know if he was joking around about it, but he said, and people, I think misunderstand farming. We're not talking about one farmer with twenty or thirty cows. These a lot of these dairy farms I think have maybe twenty or thirty thousand cows on them. Some of these chicken farms have like a million chickens. If one chicken gets the burdens through, all million chickens have to be killed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, little a little far from where we are, I'm gonna put you down as even though you're indifferent, I'm gonna put you down on the side of the dairy farmers. Fair enough.
Speaker 11: Leave it alone.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's a leave it alone. I'm tutting down is leave it alone? Okay?
Speaker 11: You have you have pack lines? Yeah, got pack lines? All right, get to the next one.
Speaker 2: Sure will. Thanks very much for the permission to do that. Jim, appreciate it. Okay, let's keep rolling here. Jim is one of my interesting callers. Let me go to Ken from Leminster. Ken from Leminster, Welcome Ken. How are you tonight?
Speaker 10: I'm great, Dan. How you doing good?
Speaker 2: What do you think? I'm a daylight savings guy year round? Let's let's save that.
Speaker 10: I'm with you. I am with you. But if you're looking at this hour as a scientific inquiry, it's a little bit skewed because we're all night owls here, remember, yeah right, yeah, no, I hear you.
Speaker 2: But I just think that I guess there's there's one two states apparently I do not comply with changing here. I don't know Arizona, Hawaii and maybe part of Alaska, and I think that there was I'm just going through all I guess I got to read this during the break. There's some sort of a Sunshine Protection Act passed by yeah, in twenty twenty two, passed by by the Senate. It was not passed by the House of Representatives. So I don't think the president can change this without the agreement of Congress.
Speaker 10: To be honest with you, well, I you know, I hope that it gets changed, but it probably won't. I'm sixty three years old and we've been talking about this as far back as I can run.
Speaker 2: So yeah, well, yeah. The interesting thing was that I learned today was that this all started during the during I guess from World War One to nineteen sixty six, so for fifty years. Uh, it was all because of an effort to concern conserve fuel. Well, times have changed since then. Again, I think I think most people are confused. I think that people actually think that somehow we get an extra hour of sunshine. You know, the amount of sunshine doesn't change.
Speaker 10: No, I know that, Dan, you know, strictly speaking, it doesn't, but effectively and practically it does because again for all of people who aren't mourning, people who sees who cares about the sun in the morning.
Speaker 2: So that's kind of the way I feel that. As a matter of fact, I just didn't have it stay darker in the morning so on Saturday and Sunday I can sleep in a little later.
Speaker 10: Yeah, that grateful dead sow where Jerry Garcia says, you know, draw the curtains, curse the glare, yes, light a candle. H. Here's the thing that I hate it. Even if they were to settled in one or the other, that would make me happy, because I hate this going back and forth and losing the hour. Absolutely can't stand because it always seems to happen at the worst possible weekend in the whole year, where I've got theater tickets and i got to go into Boston and it's a late night and then I got to get up early the next morning. It never fails.
Speaker 2: So well, well, you got to buy your theater tickets in October, then, because or that you'll pick up the hour of sleep in the You get the extra hour of sleep in October. You'll lose it this this weekend. But the payoff, even though you lose it this weekend, the payoff is we'll have some longer summer nights, which is what I'm talking about. Can help me call it? Have you called before. I don't recognize the name from Lemonster.
Speaker 10: I do call usually call this time of year because quite honestly, you're my salvation Dan, because I give up television during Lynch.
Speaker 2: Well, thank god for that. Never give up Nightside though.
Speaker 10: Okay, oh no, you never retire either, Dan.
Speaker 2: Your brain will be better off after forty days or forty nights of Nightside. Thank you so much, Ken, I appreciate it. Have a great one. Okay, good night. I love that call. I loved that call. Let's keep rolling here, Gonna go to Kim in Woburn. Hey, Kim, you're next on Nightside. Where do you fall in this great debate?
Speaker 6: I'm daylight saving time all the way.
Speaker 2: I'm with you, I'm with you. We are winning this thing big time. I want you to know. Jim was like the only dissenter. He simply said leave it alone. He's kind of half and half. But everybody else has been with us to keep daylight savings time.
Speaker 4: Me right, I'm a mason.
Speaker 6: I work outside, and there's an old thing you gotta make it when the sun shines. I wish it was daylight stayer in time all year.
Speaker 2: Well, that's exactly what we're saying. Okay, So what that would mean is that in the wintertime, you would you'd be starting at you know, eight thirty, you'd still have a little bit of light. Light would be coming up right the worst wintertime, but then you're going to have, you know, more sunshine all throughout the rest of the year. Once you once, once you get if it's stay daylight savings time, you'd probably it would the latest it would it would be dark would be in the middle of December, and it would be five thirty as opposed to four thirty or five fifteen as opposed to four fifteen. So you would have as a mason, you're a nine to five or eight to five guy, this would work perfectly for you. Do you do the big stone walls or do you do you know, you know what I would think of visiting?
Speaker 6: I do, Uh stone is my specialty. I do stone walls, cemented dry anything, any type of stone, blasted legsfield stone, I do, chimney, I do says I do, uh patios.
Speaker 2: But I'll tell you I have some friends of mine who are masons, as a buddy of mine, Mark McCullough. Uh, they are, They're they're the best people. I have another friend, Robert Derrimo, who's a little west of lives out in Sherborne. Great people. I don't know what it is, but I've never met a mason who works with their hands who I haven't really liked as a person, to be honest with you.
Speaker 6: Yeah, when you when you got my uh, when you got my when I came on you call me Tim. I'm Tim McMahon from Wolgan. Do you remember you gave me the night Side cup?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes, yes, okay, yeah, I'm sorry I should have figured it was Tim, but but it came up as Kim. But yeah, absolutely Tim. And we're gonna at some point have that cup of coffee. Trust me on that. Okay, I remember you.
Speaker 6: Well, that would be great.
Speaker 9: I like I.
Speaker 6: Really like nice side, Dan Ray, the Voice of Reason Peer.
Speaker 2: All right, Tim, I like you too as well.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 2: We'll talk soon. Have a great weekend.
Speaker 6: Enjoy okay, okay, Man, thank you, Thanks Tim, Good.
Speaker 2: Night, great guy. Quick break, coming right back. I'm getting Karen, Steve, Charlie and Glenn. You are going to get in, I promise, coming back on night Side.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray Live from the Window World, Nightside studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: Our lines are packed. I have five callers, so I'm gonna ask everybody, no longer than a minute and a half, are you for daylight savings time, which means more light later in the day year round. Let's go to Karen in Wisconsin. Karen, where you stand or wady you sit on this one?
Speaker 12: Karen, I'm with Jim, don't spoil it. I'm from I'm from the farm land, so we need I want darkness year round, you know. But I realized that the we're going to have to at some point, but it doesn't have to be so prop If they left it alone, it would be a slower you know, not.
Speaker 2: Okay, So when you say leave it alone, you don't mind switching an hour forward in March and then an hour back spring forward in March fall back.
Speaker 12: I just rather have it stayed dark as long as possible, whatever that would be.
Speaker 2: You know, we can't keep it. We only have so many hours to the day. It's how we spread them out.
Speaker 12: I just like darkness. So if so, I'm going to be with the spoiler there that don't soil alone.
Speaker 2: You will leave it the loan vote? Okay, thanks Garret.
Speaker 12: And they hid Hi Jack Card. Okay, bye, Dan.
Speaker 2: Tank got you. We got that in for you, no problem. We're gonna go next to Glenn. Glenn, we gotta be a little quick.
Speaker 4: Glenn, answer me and some brainer summertime forever. Oh yeah you daylight tall with you? Yeah, yeah, I remember night and.
Speaker 2: You with me, Laurie with with Laurie from my floor, Steve in the truck, Ken and Lemons and Tim and Woburn.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean well, I I remember nineteen seventy four when we tried it in the winter. I remember it's they got lighter around just a little before eight, but it didn't get dark to a little left of five thirty in January. No, that was.
Speaker 2: Probably the same fuel, I assume.
Speaker 4: Maybe yeah, with the energy crisis. Yep.
Speaker 2: All right, okay, we got you in there, Glenn. Thank you much, my friend. We'll talk to you. It's good weekend. Let's go next to Charlie from Natick. Hey, Charlie, welcome and next on nightside.
Speaker 8: My named Dan, Charlie. I'm a dissenter. Okay, Well, Farming went on to do twenty years in the Navy. I'm early to bed, early to rise. I would stay on standard time year round if I could.
Speaker 2: Oh, okay, so that's really different. So you're a standard You're the first guy who said standard time. So wait a second. That means in the spring, kids would have to finish their little league games by seven o'clock. They've get maybe three innings.
Speaker 6: In right, mm hmm, no kids, that's okay.
Speaker 2: Everybody comes at everything from a different point of view. So you're a standard time guy. Okay. Why does your time in the navy influence that you? Or you mentioned being in the name.
Speaker 8: Thank you for sar wise, I mean the military. So you get up a day dark.
Speaker 2: Thirty, healthy, wealthy and wise like that? All right, Georgia, you said you did twenty years. Good for you. Yeah, saw the world?
Speaker 8: Huh, No, though I ever loved South America.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, there's all always time. There's always time. Charlie, thank you very much for your call. Have you called before? I suspect this is my first.
Speaker 8: Time, but I used to be Charlie from Leston.
Speaker 2: Wow. So now okay, so we can't give you a round of applause, but that's okay. Thanks very much for continuing to listen. Charlie, have a good one.
Speaker 6: Okay, Thank you too.
Speaker 2: Thanks, my friend. Have a great weekend. All right. So we got to say staying alone, leave it alone, one says standard time, and I think we got at this point one, two, three, four, five six. I agree with me. More light late in the day. Let's get it two more in here real quickly. Steve up in New Hampshire. Steve, give us your vote.
Speaker 13: Dan, thank good, thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 8: Good.
Speaker 4: How are you good? Good week?
Speaker 13: I liked your Mayo Wu topic.
Speaker 10: You're earlier this week too.
Speaker 13: By the way, I just want to say, yeah, I did a good week.
Speaker 10: I like that.
Speaker 13: I just want to say I can't agree with you on this, and I'll give you the reasons why. Number One, most people, at least some people are not mourning people. And if you have no daylight savings time, you're going to have eight fifteen sunrise in December, and there's going to be a lot of drowsy drivers. They will there's a lot of kiddies waiting for the bus stop in the morning. I hate to see somebody get hurt or killed along those lines. The second thing I wanted to bring up was how about you know, changing the batteries in your smoke detectors. They do it every they always remind you to do it at that particular time time, so that might save a fire and save a life that way.
Speaker 2: Okay, So the other thing, so see, do you want to leave it alone or do.
Speaker 5: You want to Oh yeah, I want to leave it alone.
Speaker 13: I like I like it just the way it is right now. I like it, and I don't as far as an earlier sunset in the summer, I like a thirty quarter of nine sunsets. I like it as late as possible in the summer, that's the time I want to enjoy it. And during the winter time it really doesn't matter to me because it's too cold out there. So I but I appreciate your point of view.
Speaker 2: I got to let you go here because I got to get two in real quickly. Okay, thanks man, Thanks Steve, thank you, enjoyed the week. Thank you quickly, Joe and Lynn, Joe give it me quick.
Speaker 7: Quickly, please, sure, I will, I say, stay on, I'm another standard guy, stay on standard time.
Speaker 8: How about that?
Speaker 2: All right? Like you? Okay, that's okay, you're you're you're a free thinker. Thanks, thanks Joe, appreciated. All right of the night, is going to go Karen in Stone and Karen really to sit on this.
Speaker 5: One by it's Sharon.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm sorry. We just split the difference.
Speaker 10: Just split the difference, change it in half an hour, and then never change it again.
Speaker 5: Split the difference, okay.
Speaker 2: Half an hour? All right, so we get one hour and never change it again. All right, Right, lots of good conversation this week. Thank you so much, Karen. You have ended a week on a good note. All right. How much time I got left here? Mike? You mean forty seconds? Okay, so we got to wrap and I will tell you that the summertime one, uh, the daylight savings time one. But maybe the President was right. There's a lot of other points of view here. Want to thank Mike Templeton did a good job tonight, Thank you very much. Want to thank Marita. Want to thank all the callers, all the listeners. I'll remind us everyone is always to have a great weekend and all dogs, all cats, af pets go to heaven. That's what my pal Charlie ray Is, who passed fifteen yearschoon in February. That while your pets or a pets, they loved you, you love them you will see them again. Hopes to again on Monday. Have a great weekend everyone, Stay warm, stay drive,