Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to the Minnesota Goodbye. We have an ask for you. Please send us emails, yes, because we're a little bit low this week and we have one more day where Dave's not going to be on, but today we just don't have a ton of emails. And if you have sent an email before and Dave hasn't read it, feel free to send it again because sometimes Dave reads things and forgets about home and we don't get to them. Or truthfully, if your email's too long, we don't always read those as well, because we just needed to be a little bit more concise for this, so we're not reading an email for like five minutes of the fifteen minute podcast.
Speaker 2: So we'll start with this one.
Speaker 1: It says, hello, Dave, Jenny Bailey, and vant I hope you're having a good morning. First off, I have to say the obligatory. I absolutely love your show and have been listening since I was a kid. Bit Jenny has been so fun to listen to you grow over the years, and I think you've really come into your own Bailey, thanks for repping for all of us nerds out here. Love your sense of humor and you're fantastic with improv vant. It's been awesome having you added to the show and listening to you push people's buttons for phonsies is always a good time. Now that that's out of the way, onto the main reason I'm writing, and Dave, you've been like a father figure to me throughout my whole life. My own father is still around, but he's not a nice person, so you being the steady, level headed male influence in my life has meant a lot to me.
Speaker 2: Anyway.
Speaker 1: I'm a huge fan of thrift shopping, and I often visit the goodwill bins. Some days I walk out empty handed, but most days I find little treasures for the people I care about. Everything sold by weight, and books are priced by height, so it's an affordable way to bring to brighten someone's day with a small trinket or surprise. On my lunch break today, I came across a nineteen seventy two Scout handbook.
Speaker 2: It's a little.
Speaker 1: Faded but has that charming, well loved look, and it's filled with adorable illustrations. As soon as I saw it, I thought of sending it to you, Dave. When I was younger, I was a girl Scout, but I never quite felt like I fit in with the girls. Still don't Tellowel. I always wished I could have joined the boy Scouts instead, and was always so jealous hearing about all the awesome things Car and you did through Scouts. I'm really glad that today's kids don't have to be sorted by gender into different clubs if they'd rather be in the other one. You've always been the biggest advocate for Scouts, and since Susan always jokes about how you have piles of stuff lying around, I thought one more book wouldn't hurt.
Speaker 2: It'll blend right in with your newspaper collection. Ha ha.
Speaker 1: Feel free to pass on the offer. It costs me about fifty cents, so there's no loss if you're not interested. Thanks for being a constant presence in my life and for showing me that not all men are.
Speaker 2: Like my father.
Speaker 1: I'm so happy your kids got to grow up with such a loving dad. Happy Early Father's Day, your pal from Afar. This comes from Marissa. Now, Marissa, I know Dave's not Amus today, however, I will make sure that he sees it and gets back to you about the Scout book. And I'm kind of like scrolling through these photos if you guys want to see it. But yeah, it's it's definitely a loved book, a book that definitely looks like it's been.
Speaker 2: Around the block of time or two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know it says fun things like carrying your equipment and help.
Speaker 3: With illustrations that yeah, straight up of like nineteen sixty three.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how to like roll your bed up and yeah, so that's fun. Okay, Well we'll let Dave know and I'll make sure that Marissa he hears all of your email because he will very much appreciate that.
Speaker 3: You should put it in his RV and you know, live by it when he's out camping.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he could.
Speaker 4: I remember when I was in third fourth grade. I remember we had like boy Scouts girl Scouts come to the after school program and yeah, they were teaching us how to like tie a knot and shit, and I was like, I want to make fucking cookies and they were like, no.
Speaker 2: I don't know do they learn that in girl Scouts.
Speaker 4: Make think they just sell well they do so, but I think like they were doing like a little seminar like at the time, like just to make like, oh you want to like diy fin Min's Yeah, I was like, this is what I want to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I want to diy thin.
Speaker 4: Min's like, I don't want to tie a knot and make a tint.
Speaker 3: I never was in any of those like after school or you know, group community classes or clubs or anything when I was a kid. Like girl Scouts are Scouts or Scouts, you know. I took like one babysitting class when I was like twelve with my sister, and then I never babysat anybody, but I took an entire class. I was like Red Cross certified babysitter at age twelve. And that's as close to Scouting as I ever got.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a lot of girls took that class because I think I was eleven or twelve when I took that babysitting I just.
Speaker 3: All I remember from it is how to give mouth to mouth to a baby.
Speaker 2: Gosh, I don't even remember that. I know I learned it. Yeah, I don't remember their.
Speaker 3: Mouth over their mouth and their nose and then I'll blow into both of them.
Speaker 2: Well you really more than you remember.
Speaker 4: You guys know how to swim?
Speaker 3: Oh girl?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: No, yeah, oh I forget. You don't know how to swim. Be like, yes, I mean I grew up my parents like before. Well, still my mom has a pool, but my parents did build a pool in our backyard growing up, so I was a fish. I was always swimming growing up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's something else I learned in after school program. I I used to go to the YMCA after be four and after school, and there was a there was a group of like a guy friends, and there was a girl that we all thought was cute, and she we had different levels of They were like necklaces red, yellow, or green, just based on like how well you could swim. And the girl that we thought was cute wore a green and I was like, well, I can't be fucking out here wearing a red one or a yellow one swimming in the little kiddie four inch pool and she's going off the diving board. So I taught my ass I had to swim.
Speaker 2: Dang, that's exciting.
Speaker 3: I think that's so that's so cool. I was too scared, Like I took swimming lessons with my sister, and then it got to the point where we had to put our heads underwater, and I was too scared to do that. And man, I don't know why, but the instructors were just like, that's okay, you can just set out. And so then I sat out enough that I just stopped going to class. And then like a year later, my sister taught me in a hotel pool how to put my hat under the water. But that by that point everyone who was in swimming lessons was older, and I wasn't about to enter swimming lessons with kids who are a year younger than me because I would have been embarrassed. So I never learned swim period. You've talked about maybe trying to learn, though I would like to, I think, like my my issue is, I don't know. I just hate being perceived, So I wouldn't want to be in a swimsuit with anyone who's like not, I don't know. I would want like a forty year old woman named Sandra to teach me how to swim, like Dave, No, because Dave would Dave would like roast me the entire time. And I don't want like a hot young lifeguard to teach me how to swim, I any gender. I don't want a hot young person to teach me how to swim because I would feel self conscious about how I looked, and I don't want a friend to teach me how to swim, because I wouldn't want them to judge me and be like, wow, Bailey's really lame, she doesn't know how to swim. Yeah, I literally over the pandemic like lockdown. I learned how to put my head under the water without plugging my nose. And that's as far as I've gotten.
Speaker 1: Well that's good, So I mean that's a step I can do that, A step in the right direction.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I would like to it'd be nice to know how I think.
Speaker 1: Some people just really don't like when you have to do swim lessons when you're young.
Speaker 2: They just don't like it. My nephew's so.
Speaker 1: Adventurous, however, he fucking hates swim lessons. Like he he's four now, and he my sister would have to walk into the pool area with him and like sit there on the edge with him, and he like wouldn't get in, and eventually they just gave up because the parents weren't supposed to be able to be in the pool area anyways. And it's just so weird because he's so adventurous in every other aspect, but he's just not a swimmer, and my my mom still has her pool, so the kids go over there and swim in the summer a lot. But he just like doesn't like to go in very much. It's like not his thing. Kind of kind of surprising for me, just knowing his personality, to be honest. That's like all we have for emails today. There's some old ones that I think Dave maybe hasn't read yet, but I'm not entirely positive, so they're at least opened, so I don't know if they've been read. However, there is one that maybe he hasn't showed you. It says I was scrolling through Reddit and came upon this navy ad, and the first thing I thought was Vaunt, What do you think look at those guy?
Speaker 2: Do you think it is his doppelganger? You're a doppelganger?
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, there's okay, a picture of a man in the navy. Yeah, who kind of looks like Vaunt with a different mustache.
Speaker 4: Look like me.
Speaker 2: I think he looks like you a little bit. He does? He does? He does? You guys have similar eyes. I think his eyes are closed, his eyes are open.
Speaker 4: His name is Jared Richardson. If you. I just want to look it up for reference. I don't think he looks like me when he is a full beer too. He looks good looking, like he could pick up women on the street. That is not me. The only thing that keeps a lista in my household is the fact that I make bomb ribs. The person that people in the cities say that I look like a lot is a. He's a pastor or. He's like a motivational speaker named Ryan Leak. Not only do we have the same last name, but he genuinely.
Speaker 2: Looks like he's local to the cities.
Speaker 4: I believe so shaped head and hair and the last name.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's black.
Speaker 2: He is black.
Speaker 3: I don't think you guys look the same.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't think you guys on the air.
Speaker 1: Very different noses, very different smile.
Speaker 3: He's cute.
Speaker 2: I don't know the reason I know. I don't Ryan Leak. Yeah, be cute.
Speaker 3: If you guys did something together and then you could be like, you know, what's the leak with the leaks?
Speaker 1: There's there's there's my email that from I'm not sure how to say your name, but Natty and a D I E.
Speaker 4: Natty, I love that you felt that you saw that email or that picture and you just had to email us.
Speaker 2: Just that that's.
Speaker 4: Great, thank you for that. I'm a terrible uh.
Speaker 2: Host, I guess is the word sure?
Speaker 4: Because yesterday I made food for Bailey. Well, I made food for a lot of people, and Bailey came to pick hers up and I literally had you outside waiting for how long.
Speaker 3: Twenty five minutes. I was waiting for twenty five minutes waiting for my food.
Speaker 4: I'm a terrible person.
Speaker 2: I realized this was like a drive up situation.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like to go or side because I so here's the situation my girlfriend and my girlfriend listen to we made. We started making like plates of food Puerto Rican food, and we start selling them in shit and yesterday was the first time we ever did it, like paying people like people paying us. It was so good. Bailey was so helpful and so uh thank you for being so supportive. Bailey came to pick up her food and your food was literally just about done. But then you had what threw me off was you later in the day you asked me to make a plate for your sister, and me and Alyssa just didn't compute that, so we had to go like, oh shit, okay, make another plate. So I told you just sit outside, I'll come bring it down for you in like five minutes, ten minutes. Then maybe twenty minutes goes by and somebody else says, hey, I'm about to be downstairs. I was like, oh, well, just Bailey, she can wait like another ten minutes.
Speaker 3: It's just Bailey. She's not a priority.
Speaker 4: But thank you for supporting me my small business. Jenny doesn't support black businesses.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, I love you.
Speaker 1: But I have a very different financial situation than I did two months ago, so even spending fifteen dollars on a meal is like out of my budget right now, unfortunately, which I know you m question because I know I just went out of town this past weekend. But I literally packed food the entire time, and I had a turkey sandwich the entire fucking trip. Okay, I literally did not eat out once, and my friends fed me the other nights because they were proper and brought like kebabs and hot dogs and shit to grill, and they're like I felt, I did feel like such a freeloader because I packed enough food to cover me for the weekend, but then they had all this extra food. They're like, no, we brought stuff so you could eat too, and I'm like, oh, that's so sweet, and honestly, like their food was way better than what I packed, so I was like, yeah, I'm gonna eat it then if they're offering it. I did leave them a bottle of wine as a thank you though. When I left, I did bring because I brought some wine and I was like, here you go, thanks for feeding me this weekend.
Speaker 2: I appreciate you. How much.
Speaker 4: How many friends did you go with?
Speaker 1: It was just one couple, just one couple of friends, so they got yeah, I was third wheeling. Yeah, really Embracing the third wheel aspect of favorite part is yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean I used to do it all the time in my twenties. It's a it's a new thing once again to me. But I don't know, it's maybe you feel the same way, Bailey, But like at this point in life, I just I don't really care that much about the fact that I'm the third wheel. I think I'm like embracing it more whereas I used to be super self conscious about it. Yeah, but I don't know. I one thing I'll say this time around of being single again is that there's a lot of other people who not A lot most of my friends are in marriage or a long term relationship soon to be married, but the people who aren't, like I just feel like we can relate a lot to It's okay that we're not in a relationship because we want certain things and if we're not getting it, we're not going to settle. And this has nothing to do with my previous relationship. I'm just saying that there's a lot of people out there who are also single, and I think at this point in life, it's a look debt negatively when you're single. Yeah, and it's it's frustrating because it's like, Okay, so I could either be in a really unhappy relationship because I decided to settle or I wasn't ready or whatever it is. And not that that's what most people are, but some people are in that, or it could just be single, Yeah, And why is that looked at as less then?
Speaker 3: Right now?
Speaker 2: People who are in unhappy relationships, Yeah.
Speaker 3: You know, I think if they're not adding to my life, then I don't want them in my life because my life is pretty good as it is and they need to add to it. And not subtract from it, but I will say those single friends that you have, you are going to get so much closer to those people because now I mean same thing. I have the same kind of boat as you, where most of my friends are married or in long term relationships, and I have two friends who are single, and we are really close. Now Katie and Sarah shout out because now we're like, okay, well, we're the ones who understand each other's situations and have the kind of same experience, and we're the ones who can talk about it versus talking about those same experience with someone who's been married for like five years, ten years or whatever and they're like, oh, well my son did this the other day, and I'm like that's cool. But I don't relate to that, and you don't relate to me, and we're having a hard time relating to each other. So it is kind of nice to have single friends, so lean on those people for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I definitely, I definitely have. But most of my friend honestly, there's probably only like two people, and I don't get to see them very often because they're very busy. Yeah, that are single. Everyone else is in a relationship but I don't know. I think I have a lot of friends that are very independent of their relationships, so it's easy to find time to hang out with them. Like Tony, who comes on the show with us sometimes. He is he's been married for like seven years, been with his partner for like I don't know, ten, twelve years or something, but he they do separate things all the time, like he love that. Yeah, Like he's coming in tomorrow on the show, and I'm probably gonna be like, what are you doing this weekend?
Speaker 2: Let's do some things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, out, let's hang out and do some staff. Well, we are at about our fifteen minute mark, and so once again I'm going to beg you guys to send us a few emails and so we can read them tomorrow on the Minnesota Goodbye, and then Dave will be back on Monday.
Speaker 3: Podcast forever until date's gone again.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, thanks for listening, Ryan Show at katiewb dot.
Speaker 2: Com for all your emails. Thank you,