Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: App KFI and kost HD two Los Angeles, So Orange County, it's time.
Speaker 3: For your morning wake up call.
Speaker 4: Here's Amy King.
Speaker 1: It is five o'clock, straight up. This is your wake up call for Wednesday, November sixth. Good morning, I'm Amy King. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Quite a day, huh. You just never know how things are going to shake out. Still lots of counting to be done in California. We're not gonna be election certified until December third. But there are some winners and there are some losers, and we're going to get to that as we move through wake Up Call and hopefully get you some good entertaining things and just think, no more election ads. But I don't think this is all settled, but I hope that we can all put this behind us, move on, get going with our lives again. Here's what's ahead on wake up Call. Donald Trump has been elected the forty seventh president of the United States and will become just the second president in US history to serve non consecutive terms. The Senate has flipped. Republicans have picked up a couple of seats. Votes for the House are still being counted. It appears the Democrats could take back control of that chamber, but again still too early to say. Proposition thirty six, which will toughend penalties for repeat thieves, smash and grab robbers, and drug offenses, is passing with seventy percent support from voters. Election results, again in California, won't be certified until December third. The markets are reacting to the presidential election. Dow futures have jumped more than twelve hundred points three percent, NASDAK futures are up nearly two percent, and S and P futures are up two point two percent. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Former President Trump has one Wisconsin and the two hundred and seventy electoral votes needed to win the presidential race. The Associated Press declared Trump the winner early this morning, with two hundred and seventy seven Electoral College votes to Vice President Harris's two hundred and twenty four. Trump appeared before a crowd of supporters overnight in Florida this is.
Speaker 5: A magnificent victory for the American people that will allow us to make America great again.
Speaker 1: Trump called it the greatest political movement of all time and vowed to keep his campaign promises. The economy and immigration were his biggest issues. Vice President Harris did not speak to supporters at her Alma monitor in Washington, d C. As previously planned.
Speaker 2: You won't hear from the Vice President tonight.
Speaker 1: Has campaign co chair Cedric Richmond addressed the crowd last night, saying there were still votes to count.
Speaker 2: We still have states that have not been called yet. We will continue overnight to fight to make sure that every vote is counted, that every voice has spoken.
Speaker 1: Some supporters were in tears as they left the event. Richmond says Harris will be back at Howard University to speak today. Nathan Hackman has defeated George Gascon in the race for La County District Attorney.
Speaker 6: More than five hundred people showed up here at Hawkman's watch party in Beverly Hills. His son spoke first, followed by his wife, then brother who introduced him.
Speaker 5: Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to bring up what I know will be the next district attorney of Los Angeles County.
Speaker 7: Let's hear it from my brother, Nathan Hackman.
Speaker 6: The crowd Tuesday night was filled with a lot of current former prosecutors from the DA's office, along with first responders, donors, volunteers, and victims of crime. In Beverly Hill, Steve Gregory, King of I.
Speaker 1: Knew Akman got more than sixty one percent of the vote. Democratic Congressman Adam Schiff is one election to the US Senate. He meet former Dodgers player Steve Garvey. With more than fifty seven percent of the vote, shift will fill the Senate seat long held by the late Senator Dianne Feinstein. Republicans have taken control of the US Senate. The unexpected battleground state of Nebraska pushed Republicans over the top. Late yesterday, Democratic efforts to hold on to their Senate majorities slipped further out of reach when Democratic Senator Shared Brown in Ohio lost his re election race to Republican Bernie Moreno earlier, Republicans picked up a seat in West Virginia. Let's say good morning to ABC's Mike Debuski and Mike. I have to tell you and tell wake up call listeners that ABC sends out their availability for what ABC reporters are going to be available to us, and then I sometimes I sketch out some questions because I have an idea what I'm going to ask you. And and here's what I wrote, Mike, is in Bucks County, Pennsylvania, arguably the most important state in the election. How are things shaping up? I wrote that before I went to bed last night.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, they've shaped up in the sense that Pennsylvania has been called for Donald Trump. This is, you know, a state that went for Joe Biden by a darrow margin about four and a half percent in twenty twenty, and it obviously went for Donald Trump in twenty sixteen. In both twenty sixteen and this time around seen as kind of the critical state here with nineteen electoral votes. This was not exactly the states that put Donald Trump over that two hundred and seventy electoral vote number that we were looking for. That was Wisconsin really kind of late into the night early morning hours for SCR on the East coast. But yeah, Pennsylvania, you know, kind of was one of the key factors here and a key part of the blue wall that Democrats really needed to win that, you know, three state series of Pennsylvania, mission and Wisconsin. Given our latest tallies here, ABC News is projecting that Donald Trump is going to win Pennsylvania, as I said, going to win Wisconsin, and we don't have a projection for Michigan yet, but there's certainly a lot of red there as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, and Mike, they they got these votes counted pretty quickly. I know that we had talked earlier about we might not know for days, maybe not for a week, but everything seemed to run pretty smoothly yesterday.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean we knew the Pennsylvania results. I mean we were up late, of course, but we would have been anyway. But you know, it did not take the days long period of time that you know, some were indicating. The local elections officials say that they put a lot of work into making sure that the process went a lot more smoothly this time around. Obviously, four years ago, we were waiting five days for an election result out of Pennsylvania. The Saturday after Election Day, in fact, was when we learned that Pennsylvania went for Joe Biden. Certainly not the case this time around. We had a result in the morning, but it was was certainly not into the you know Wednesday midday or even Thursday that some were predicting. You know, part of that might be the fact that elections officials kind of short up made sure that the machines were running properly, they had more machines, that they had better tabulation systems to make sure that this process went quickly. Part of this might also be the fact that this is a pretty decisive win for Donald Trump. I would say, I'm right here in Bucks County, Pennsylvania. It is a crucial sort of suburb of Philadelphia. Obviously that is a Democratic stronghold. But here in Bucks County, this is you know, the first time we've seen this particular county turn red since nineteen eighty eight. You have to go back to the nineteen eighty eight George hw Bush and Michael Dukaka's election to final last time that Bucks County voted red. But you know, in interviewing elections, it has been very very close, you know, by a margin of just a few percentage points if if that so, Yeah, it is, you know, multiple factors left to be sort of uncovered this morning and figuring figuring out exactly you know, how certain sections voted, and you know, certainly some votes left to be counted, but you know, news projecting that Donald Trump is one Pennsylvania and pretty decisively.
Speaker 1: Okay, and Mike, you just mentioned what I was going to ask you about, whether it's too early to tell kind of what made the difference and what you know caused that. We know that the more urban and some of the suburban areas tend to vote more democratic, the more rural areas tend to go more Republican. But what was the shift?
Speaker 4: What made yeah? I mean, look, so Pennsylvania is basically a big square if you think about it in your mind, and there's kind of two Democratic strongholds on either side of the state. That's Philadelphia in the east, in Pittsburgh in the west, and of course they're sort of surrounding suburban areas. In the middle of the state, it's relatively rural. That's where Harrisburg is the state capital, and those have traditionally been deep red counties, whereas you know, democrats strategy had been to just drive up turnout in Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and the surrounding suburbs and surrounding counties there. Clearly that didn't happen at least to the degree that Democrats were expecting and Republicans ultimately ended up kind of taking Pennsylvania. It is a relatively you know, close race. I'm not going to say it's you know, certainly you know, not a blowout, no, no, a couple of points here, but even still, you know, you know, this is enough for ABC News to call a matter of you know, several hundred thousand votes here, or actually I should say just under two hundred thousand votes. So yeah, it's a pretty you know, decisive win for Republicans, and you see that kind of reflected down the ballot as well. We've had a pretty high profile Senate race take place here in Pennsylvania between Dave McCormick, or Republican former hedge fund manager, and Bob Casey, the incumbent Democratic senator who's represented Pennsylvania as a Democrat since two thousand and six. Right now, we haven't called the race yet, but it's a matter of percentage point and Dave McCormick is in the lead. It's also reflected in several kind of closed house races as well.
Speaker 1: And did you get a chance yesterday while you were cruising around Bucks County to talk to any of the voters.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I did. And you know, we have some exit polling ABC News has put out there about sort of national sentiment and what things that voters had in mind when they were voting. The big issues this election cycle. One of them democracy protecting democracy was at the top of this exit poll. Next to that was the economy. Then a little further down the list was abortion and immigration. And Amy, I have to tell you that absolutely showed up on the ground here in Pennsylvania. JD. Vance held an event at the Newtown Athletic Clubs about ten minutes from where I'm sitting right now, and talking to Trump voters. Going into that event, they were saying that, Hey, I'm voting on the election, right, or excuse me, I'm voting on the economy. I'm concerned about wages, I'm concerned about inflation, I'm concerned about the Biden administration's economic policies. And you know, clearly that was an to sway voters here in Pennsylvania and here in Bucks County. And meanwhile, just to give you a taste to the other side, Kamala Harris mean her closing argument to voters here in Pennsylvania star studied event on the steps of the Philadelphia Art Museum on Monday night. I was there talking to voters who are walking into that event. Amy. I couldn't find a single person who did not list abortion and women's rights issues at the top of the issues that mattered to them.
Speaker 8: This election cycle.
Speaker 1: Interesting, all right. Well, the votes are still being counted, we have some we still have some House races to be decided, we still have some Senate races to be decided. And we appreciate you giving us the information to help sort through everything. Appreciate it a lot. Mike Debuski, have a great day.
Speaker 4: You toering you Take care, all right, take care.
Speaker 1: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KMFI twenty four hour newsroom. Two congressional races in Orange County, which could decide what party controls the House may not be called four days.
Speaker 2: The first is a tight race between incumbent Republican Congresswoman Michelle Steele and Democrat Derek Tran.
Speaker 7: When I became a lawyer, I decided to fight on behalf of consumers and workers who were being taken advantage of by big corporations.
Speaker 2: Steele says her proven record includes fighting tax increases and the Chinese Communist Party.
Speaker 5: I worked really hard to hold the CCP accountable.
Speaker 1: You know, China is a bit of thretch to the United States.
Speaker 2: The other type race is a battle between former Republican Assemblyman Scott Baw and State Senator Dave men at the Republican Watch party in Newport Beach. Corbin Carson kf I.
Speaker 1: News Democrat Sarah McBride is one the US House rates in Delaware, making her the first openly transperson to serve in Congress. She was elected to the Delaware State Senate in twenty twenty. The LAPD says it's investigating several Jewish owned businesses being vandalized in the Pico Robertson neighborhood. Officers responded to calls of potential hate crimes on Pico Boulevard yesterday morning. Belisse A businesses were vandalized with graffiti and possible bullet holes. They say it's in an area where there are many synagogues. The Anti Defamation League in LA says it is monitoring this situation. Powerful Santa Anna wins are expected to blow into southern California today, prompting red flag warnings. For high fire danger win Gusts of sixty to eighty miles per hour expected in the mountains of La and Ventura Counties, with isolated gus up to one hundred miles per hour. A red flag warnings also in effect for the Inland Empire, with gus up to sixty miles per hour. Wildfire risk will be elevated through tomorrow. Former President Trump will be President Trump again. He's got two hundred and seventy seven electoral votes so far. Several states are still counting votes. Vice President Harris has two twenty four. Trump is leading with the so called Blue Wall states. He won Georgia, also Pennsylvania, which was considered a key state to win the White House. Challenger Isibal Harado appears headed to victory over incumbent Kevin dally On for the District fourteen seat on the La City Council. Incumbent Heather hot holds a twenty five point lead over Grace You to hold on to her tenth district seat, and former Assemblyman a dream of oh Gosh Azarian has a seventeen point lead over Gillian Burgos. Both are running to succeed Councilman Paul Krekorian for his second district seat. Angelina's get an opportunity to say goodbye to Dodgers legendary pitcher Fernando Valenzuela. This morning, a public funeral mass is being held at the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels in downtown La at ten. The Archdiocese says the mass who's open to the public on a first come, first serve basis, and there's also a public viewing area on the cathedral plaza. Let's say good morning to the host of rich on Tech on KFI. It's KTLA's tech reporter Rich de Muro. Good morning, Rich.
Speaker 7: Hey, good morning to you Amy.
Speaker 1: Okay, so it looks like Elon Musk's gamble on Trump pays off. Trump called him a super genius last night.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he did. And just in general, when you take a look at the tech industry when it comes to Trump, they may not like him, but they probably do like his policies. So when we look at the tech industry, much of it supported Kamala Harris. Employees of Facebook, Google, Amazon, Apple, Microsoft all donated millions of dollars to the Harris campaign. Not so much to Trump, but his policies. When it comes to crypto, he supports it. When it comes to AI regulation, Trump obviously lighter touch on that, wants more innovation there. And when it comes to mergers and acquisitions, Trump is much more likely. A Trump administration much more likely to give more green lights, which is something that's been very, very tough. We've seen several major failures in mergers in recent years due to the FTC when it comes to tech company, so it'll be interesting to see. But Musk, obviously one of the biggest supporters of Trump, bought X, used X as his platform to support Trump, and it paid off because now it looks like Elon Musk is gonna be part of this new organization, the Department of Government Efficiency DOGE, which, of course, if you know is a is a cryptocurrency kind of meme coin out there. Yeah, exactly, I mean.
Speaker 1: I invested in that. It's worth about two cents.
Speaker 7: I was going to say, so hopefully the Department of Government Efficiency will be better than that, because that kind of turned out to be a joke. But yeah, we saw Trump or sorry, Elon Musk tweeted. I mean he was obviously at the event last night. Like you said, Trump called him a super genius, and then he tweeted Musk Elon Musk tweeted a picture of himself carrying the kitchen sink, the one from the Twitter merger, and he said, you know, imagine this, I let that sink in. I think that's what he said. Okay, get it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I got it. I got it. I got it. And then the former president's election or is it a re election and now apparently is voting well for bitcoin.
Speaker 7: Yeah, because here's the deal. So bitcoin has been generally up over the past year. I think it's been up about fifteen percent overall. But obviously Trump winning. Trump has been sort of a supporter. No one really knows what to do with bitcoin at this point in kind of the government scheme of things, but Trump, when it comes to government officials, has definitely been much more supportive of cryptocurrency than anyone else out there, and so obviously people that are in bitcoin, bitcoin believers think that this will be a good thing for the cryptocurrency and digital currency in general. Of course, we don't know what Trump will do with this or how he'll take it, but we feel like the regulations will probably be more in bitcoin's favor. Right with a Trump as president. So seventy five k, right, It reached a seventy five K high overnight. In general, Bitcoin is just trending really well this morning. So we're at seventy three thousand and six one hundred and ninety two per coin, which is up seven percent just today alone. So people are bullish on this.
Speaker 1: Okay, So let's move off to stuff other than the election.
Speaker 7: Oh, is there anything?
Speaker 1: Well, yes, because the world still moves on. Amazon has drones and it has approval to fly them, but not here yet in Arizona.
Speaker 7: What's going on with that Arizona? So they got approval for their new drone, the MK thirty. This is their delivery drone which they're going to launch in Arizona, and so it's smaller, quieter than previous models. Apparently people didn't like how loud the other one was. It can fly in light rain, it's got double the range of earlier versions, and the FAA gave it approval for deliveries that are beyond the visual line of sight. So a lot of these drones they have to have someone kind of controlling it and seeing where it goes. That's no longer necessary. So this is going to start in Tolsten, Arizona.
Speaker 1: Is that a little town.
Speaker 7: I'm guessing I've never heard of it me either, but it's near Phoenix, so there's a warehouse out there. You know. Amazon doesn't typically build their warehouses in the middle of big cities because obviously that's very expensive, so they put them just outside, like here in La it's like mostly in San Bernardino area. So yeah, we'll see. I mean, look, this is something that I'll never forget watching sixty Minutes. I think it was ten years ago at this point where Jeff Bezos went on and showed off this drone exclusively to sixty Minutes and said, this is the future of delivery. And by the way, it's been ten years and it is not been an easy road because turns out putting people in trucks on streets is much easier and faster, and we all know how efficient Amazon delivery is already.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I just think if drones start hitting the skies, I mean, imagine how many there's going to be just buzzing around all the time.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it just it doesn't seem like it could be a very efficient way of delivering things like in theory. Yes, okay, you're delivering like a package to someone's house, passing all the traffic. But in reality, they are doing so many deliveries on a daily basis. How in the world can you have this many drones? And by the way, these drones probably can't hold more than one or two deliveries of it, right.
Speaker 1: So they're going back and forth and back and forth. And like if Amazon has a warehouse, like you said, out in the Inland Empire, they have to go back and forth and back and forth all the time.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but you know, this is not the only company that's trying to do this. You've got Walmart that's trying it. You've got Alphabet, you know Google's parent company. They've got something called Wing that's trying it. You've got ups that's trying it. I mean, everyone wants to try to see if we can have a more efficient delivery method. But I think this is going to be a very long road because it just it doesn't make a lot of sense in maybe in urban places, but especially I don't know, we'll see what happens. I mean, there's some smart people working on this, but it's taken ten years.
Speaker 1: Arizona's kind of cutting edge on this kind of stuff. I remember when I was there years ago and they were already they had robocars buzzing around when nobody else did.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Arizona is very favorable to this kind of So it is California, actually, I mean they've been. California has actually been pretty favorable to the self driving car situation. You see it here, you see it there in Nevada as well, so we'll see this stuff is progressing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think I've seen a self driving car in California yet.
Speaker 7: In La the way most they're everywhere.
Speaker 1: I've never seen one.
Speaker 7: Oh my gosh, they're all over. It's mostly in sort of Santa Monica.
Speaker 1: That explains it, I know, and go to Santa Monica.
Speaker 7: There you go. But yeah, they're all over Santa Monica the area. They just expanded the area. It doesn't go to the valley yet, but it's it's a lot more of Hollywood. Like I can get one ordered right here to the station in Hollywood, and so you know, they're they're expanding. And here's the funny thing. It's not much cheaper than an uber like I have the app the Waymo app, it's it should be like fifty percent less driver yeah, exactly, but it's not okay.
Speaker 1: Well for this and much more on tech You can listen to Rich on Tech every Saturday from eleven am to two pm right here on KFI. You can also watch him on KTLA. You can follow him on Instagram at rich on Tech in his website where he puts all of the stuff that he talks about on so you can peruse it and refer back to it. Richontech dot TV. Thank you, Rich dmiro all.
Speaker 7: Right, I sent a social media video taking your first ride in the way mow, just saying okay, we'll see you and Nick.
Speaker 1: Me screaming the whole way all right, thanks so much, Rich. Voters in California have overwhelmingly supported a bill to increase punishment for some crimes. Prop thirty six has the support of roughly seventy percent of voters. The measure will roll back some of Prop. Forty seven, which was approved by voters back in twenty fourteen, and changes the California Criminal Code to charge certain drug possession and thefts under nine hundred and fifty dollars as felonies. And LA City Council members trailing as challenger in the latest reported vote totals.
Speaker 9: Kevin Dalleon is looking for a second term representing downtown in Eastern LA neighborhoods like Boyle Heights at City Hall, but he's been trailing challenger Isabelle Herados since District fourteen numbers started to roll in last night. Daily Ona said he expects there's enough outstanding votes to close that gap. Meanwhile, incumbent Heather Hutt has built a strong lead over challenger Grace u and District ten in mid city Koreatown West Adams and for the open District two seat. Former state lawmaker Adrian azari And has run away from gillianberg Gohoes to represent North Hollywood. Michael Monks KFI.
Speaker 1: News voters in California are going to have to wait for the final results of some races in the state.
Speaker 3: That's because a state bill now gives all voters a standard December first deadline to fix and return their ballot signatures. Orange County Registrar Bob Page says the bill could delay results of tight races. Page says local elections are more likely to be impacted.
Speaker 10: In twenty two general election, we had three local contests, a couple city councils, a school board where the difference between somebody who got on the governing board and somebody who didn't was less than ten votes.
Speaker 3: Prior to the bill, counties could have different deadlines for voters to fix their ballots. Bills author says he wanted to clear up any confusion. Blake Tchorlei k if I News.
Speaker 1: The LA Board of Police Commissioners has approved a four hundred and fifty thousand dollars salary for Jim McDonald, who's expected to be confirmed as the next chief of the LAPD. The salary approval by the board yesterday is below the five hundred and seventy five hundred seven thousand they could have approved. City official save McDonald will likely get pay raises each year. The city council will make the final approval. Congressman Adam Schiff will become California's next US Senator, filling the seat formerly held by the late Dianne Feinstein. The Democrat has defeated Republican former Dodger Steve Garvey by about nineteen percent as of last night's vote count. Of course, the votes are still being counted. Abortion rights measures have passed in seven states, including Missouri, where an amendment clears the way to undo one of the country's strictest bands. Florida, Nebraska, and South Dakota voted abortion rights measures down. In Florida, one measure did get fifty seven percent sent support, but it needed sixty percent to pass. Shohei Otani had surgery on his shoulder to repair a tear he suffered when he tried to steal second base in Game two of the World Series. The Dodgers say their star slugger is expected to be ready for spring training in February. At five point fifty, we're gonna be talking with ABC's Jim Ryan about the shifting balance of power in the US House and Senate.
Speaker 6: Aamie's on it, Aami's on, Amy's on it, Damien's on it.
Speaker 1: What am I on? I'm on the stream? Movies, documentaries series. Sometimes they go to movies. Sometimes it's even books, but a lot of times it's on the stream because there's so much out there, and how do you know what to watch, Like if you just go flip through the channels, there's like a Grazillian things. Well, I decided I actually was planning on being on something else, but then it was election day and I was thinking about that movie that Kristen Dunst was in that I didn't go see in theaters, and it's called Civil War. So I checked it out. It's now streaming on Max, and I thought, you know, it has to do with the heightened state of political discourse, we'll say, and so I thought that might be a really interesting one to watch. I really wanted to go see it and just didn't kind of get around to it. So here's the movie. It's Civil War again. It was released earlier this year. It's on Max. Kristin Dunst stars as a famous photo journalist. Her name is Lee. The US is in the not so distant future. It's already in civil war. When the movie starts, everything's just kind of gone to heck in a handbasket. There's fighting in the streets of New York City between the government and successionists. So Lee wants to get to Washington, TC. She wants to photograph the president, and her colleague wants to interview the president. Then her mentor shows up and he's also a journalist, works for another publication, and he says, you know, they shoot and kill journalists in DC. So Lee and her colleague Joel, who smokes his cigarette by the way a lot during the movie. But I will tell you, and you'll see this right off the bat. He smokes it like it's a joint. So it's really distracting because it's obvious that the actor doesn't smoke, because if you've ever seen somebody smoke, they don't smoke like that. So that was jarring to me. But that's a whole other thing. So anyway, they embark on their journey. They pick up a couple of passengers, the rival journalist who was Lee's mentor, and also this teenage girl who wants to be a photographer. Or she might be in her young twenties. I don't know. It's really hard to tell how old she is. She just happens to find Lee on the streets of New York City and talk her journalist friend into giving her a ride to Washington, d C. How that comes together, I don't know. Here are some familiar themes that emerge very quickly. Charlotte'sville is referenced, a third term in office is referenced. Disbanding of the FBI is referenced. The president ordered air strikes against US citizens and the economy, and the dollar has collapsed. So it sounds like some warnings that we've had about our democracy, doesn't it. The successionists are well. Actually I was a little confused on who the successionists were. It may be that the government people who are left are the barbarians. But it's just it's a hard movie to watch, and I don't think it's that good. That's the kind of the long and the short of it. The only thing they could have done to be more blatant about its references to the threats of democracy it would have been to really cat Talig Baldwin as the president. So there and some of the situations that they get themselves in are not realistic enough. Like I was like, you should have researched this a little bit more like you should have researched how military ops are run. There's a scene where they're going into a building, and you know how they do the hand signals before they go in military I think maybe law enforcement does it too. But they had like spotlights on, so if anybody was in the building, even if they were being quiet, they would have seen the lights shining. So there were some inconsistencies there that kind of kept pulling me out of the movie. Along the journey, they just they arrive at these contrived situations. You're like, that doesn't make sense, which is too bad. It was a really kind of interesting story, but I think it kind of lost its way because I think it was politicized. That's my feeling on it. I don't know. Maybe you'll feel differently. I will tell you that in the final frame of the movie, the final shot, it won't tell you what it is. It's very disturbing in many ways when you look at the whole of this movie. So if you do watch it, actually, i'd love to hear what you think about it. Maybe I'm completely off base on this, but it's called Civil War. It's on Max. I was on it. I don't know if you should be on it. Maybe if you don't have anything else to do. Wasn't my favorite movie by any stretch. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour news room. Former President Trump has been declared the winner in the race for president.
Speaker 5: This was, I believe the greatest political movement of all time. There's ever been anything like this in this country and maybe beyond.
Speaker 1: The Associated Press called Wisconsin for Trump early this morning. That put him over the top for the two hundred and seventy Electoral College votes he needed to win. Vice President Harris was at two hundred and twenty four. Republican Jim Justice has been elected to the US Senate, defeating Democrat Glenn Elliott and flipping a seat in West Virginia.
Speaker 6: This is for the seat that was occupied for a couple of terms by Joe Manchin, West Virginia Democrat, who's decided not to run for re election this year.
Speaker 1: ABC Stephen Portnoy says Senate Democrats are on defense in Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Arizona, and Nevada. It marks the first time since nineteen fifty eight that both of West Virginia senators will be Republicans. Justice is a two term governor and former billionaire who owns dozens of businesses. Nathan Hockman has cautiously declared victory in the race for La County DA. He spoke to a few hundred supporters last night, including a large group of current prosecutors from the DA's office who support Hawkman.
Speaker 5: You have been right there doing justice for the residents of this county with your hands tied behind your back, and I'm here to tell you your hands will no longer be tied.
Speaker 1: Hakman says on day one he will reverse most of what he calls George Gascone's radical pro criminal policies in favor of the law and the rights of victims. A red alert fire warning has been issued for parts of southern California because of gusty sant Ana wins.
Speaker 11: Those wins can create very dry, dangerous conditions that could accelerate a fire if it's sparked. National Weather Service spokesman Chandler Price says the Santa Anna foothills and inland Orange County will be the breeziest.
Speaker 9: We have an area of low pressure moving into the Great Basin and what this is leading to is dusty east to north winds.
Speaker 11: He says people should avoid having any outdoor fires until the winds die down. The red flag warning is in effect until tomorrow. Chris Adler KFI news.
Speaker 1: Former federal prosecutor Nathan Hafckman is leading the race for Ella County DA by a wide margin. As of late last night, Hawkman has sixty one percent of the vote. Incumbent George Gascon has about thirty eight percent of the vote. Hawkman has vowed to undo many of Gascone's progressive policies that he calls soft on crime. Two congressional races are too close to call. His votes continue to be counted in California. In the twenty seventh congressional district representing representing Northern La County, incumbent Mike Garcia is leading Democratic challenger George Whiteside's by less than three hundred votes. In the forty fifth Districte County, incumbent Michelle Steele is leading her challenger, Derek Trann by fewer than three thousand votes. Raphael has strengthened to a Category one hurricane as it heads toward Cuba. Forecasters say it could be a Category two storm by the time it makes landfall in Cuba later today. Cuba is still recovering from Hurricane Oscar just two weeks ago. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Jim Ryan. Jim, the presidential race isn't the only thing being decided. There's control of the Senate and the House at stake. What are we looking at?
Speaker 8: Yeah, it all eyes said, We're all looking at California to see what happens out there to see who will be controlling the House. As far as the Senate goes, the Republicans had almost a clean sweep in the Senate and they're going to control. We don't have a firm number yet because votes are still being talented tally, but the margin could be five seats, six seven, maybe even nine seats, separating the Republicans from the democratsally shutting them out of any sort of legislative action in the upper House and leaving Democrats looking ahead to twenty twenty six to figure out what happened this time around before the next midterm. But yes, the Senate is solidly in Republican hands now, thanks in part to a guy named Ted Cruz, who the Senator from Texas was going for his third term. Colin all Read, the Democratic challenger, spent one hundred million dollars to try to unseat him. Crew spent sixty five million and successfully defended his seat.
Speaker 1: That's a whole lot of money. Is already like a former government or a lawmaker?
Speaker 4: Or is he?
Speaker 1: Where'd he come from?
Speaker 8: He's in Congress right now. He was, Yeah, he played football at Baylor University. He then went on to play professional football, I believe, for the Tennessee Titans. And then you know, he had an injury, and he finished his law degree, became an attorney, and then decided to run for office and for Congress, and almost immediately said, yeah, this is great being in the House, but I want to be in the Senate. So I'm going to challenge Ted Cruise got to o' rock six years ago, you remember that name. I gave Cruise a bit of a scare. He challenged him and lost by only two point six percent, and polling suggested that the all red race would even be closer than that. In the end, though, you know, Cruise essentially trunced him. I think the margin of difference with like seven percent.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, that's yeah, that's a lot higher than anybody expected. I think wondering what this says about Texas that the it used to be a kind of solidly read but Ted Cruz has had a couple of pretty strong runs for his money lately.
Speaker 8: Well he has, you know, he's really I mean, he put them both down, and even more so yesterday than sixty years ago. But a lot of people are moving to Texas from elsewhere. It's the fastest growing population in the old Country and centered in places like Austin and Houston and Dallas Fort Worth. Those places have been kind of reliably blue. So if they were to grow enough, I suppose and people moving in from California, New York other places that are a little more left leaning than Texas may eventually go purple. Didn't happen this time around, why not be next time? And in fact, Democrats have been talking about that for fifteen twenty years, But in the meantime, the Democrats haven't won a statewide race here in thirty years.
Speaker 1: Well, it sounds like the reverse of California. So you mentioned that the California is it? The two that I mentioned that are the twenty seventh Congressional district Mike Garcia and George Whiteside's And then also in Orange County it's Michelle Steele who's leading Derek Tran. But man, it's close. So Michelle Steele at last check was up three thousand votes over Derek Tran. In the twenty seventh district, Mike Garcia, again the incumb was leading by only three hundred votes. So these these races are really close.
Speaker 8: Well there, and it's really going to determine the balance of power in Washington. Will it be a split Congress as it is now? You know, Trump will be pretty easy for him to make nominations to his cabinet, for example, they have to go through the nominating process and the confirmation in the Senate. Well, with the Senate so solidly in Republican hands, it's going to be a breeze to put pretty much anybody in there, including RFK Junior, who's been then mentioned as a possible Health and Human Services secretary.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And then what we're talking about the balance. What I was hearing last night, but again then I had to go to bed, But what I was hearing last night is it was looking like that the Republicans were going to lose the House. But that's still it's still up in the air.
Speaker 8: It is, Yes, Yeah, which would be really surprising if this were to happen, so the Republican sees can at the Senate and lose control of the House, it'd be a split Congress like that, that kind of a breakout hasn't happened in a long time, that you'd have that complete slip in the two houses.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, we'll be watching while they count because I know they don't they don't have to certify or they don't certify the election in California until December third.
Speaker 8: Oh wow, Well, you know we all said we're going to be waiting up all night and waiting, I know, two or three days for the presidential Well, no, it was pretty much settled last night.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I went to sleep last night. I stayed up way too late. I don't know if you guys did stay up way too late, but still went to sleep. And then when I woke up in the middle of the night, I was turned on the TV and went, oh, they called it, And I was surprised because I didn't think it'd be for a while. Okay, Jim Ryan, thank you so much. Always a pleasure. We'll talk to you soon.
Speaker 8: Thank yous y.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Yep, we got more elections stuff for you. Voters in La County have agreed to a sales tax increase and possibly a larger board of suitsers.
Speaker 9: Meguie would put the special sales tax at half a cent, doubling the current quartercent sales tax into voting more of that revenue to homeless services. It was pushed hard by some of the largest nonprofits in the county, who warned without it, people who have been taken off the streets and housed would return to homelessness. Voters have so far agreed to support it, but Measure G has remained close, with voters pretty evenly split on whether to increase the number of county supervisors from five to nine and to create an elected county wide executive.
Speaker 1: Michael Monks KFI.
Speaker 6: News, there's a new DA in La County. I'm Steve Gregory in Beverly Hills. Nathan Hawkman says he looks forward to restoring accountability, credibility, and trust in the DA's office. Something Hawkman says, George Gasconn ruined by my day.
Speaker 5: What what you will see is not a DA disregarding the collectively thousands of years of experience.
Speaker 6: Hundreds of supporters showed up last night here at Hawkman's watch party. Most of the crowd was filled with first responders, volunteers, donors, victims of crime and prosecuted from the DA's office in Beverly Hills. Steve Gregory KINGFIE News.
Speaker 1: Police in Washington, d C. Have arrested a man at the US Capitol building. They say the man tried to get into the building yesterday, and officers say they smelled fuel in his backpack. Capitol Police Chief Tom Manger said it's not clear if the man was planning to light himself or items in his backpack on fire.
Speaker 6: We found a flare gun, a lighter, and a torch lighter in his jacket.
Speaker 1: He says there's no initial indication that it had anything to do with the election. A man in Anaheim has been charged with sexually assaulting two girls he's related to. Police in Anaheim say the man is charged with attacking one of the girls between twenty ten to twenty eighteen, and then the other in twenty fifteen and twenty sixteen. Billie say the girls are now sixteen and nineteen years old. In Japan's Mount Fuji, known for its picturesque snow cap is still snowless in November for the first time in one hundred thirty years. The nearly twelve thousand, three hundred foot high mountain usually sees its first snow in early October, about a month after the summertime hiking season there ends. This is KFI and KOSTHD two Los Angeles, Orange County, live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom for producer and and technical producer Kno along with traffic specialist Nick. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call, and if you missed any wake up call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.