Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI A M. Six forty, The Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: It's time for swamp Watch.
Speaker 3: I'm a folli, which means on side, and when I'm not kissing babies, I'm just stealing that lollipops here we.
Speaker 4: Got the real problem is that our leaders are done.
Speaker 2: The other side never quits, so.
Speaker 3: What I'm not going anywhere?
Speaker 4: So that is how you train the squat.
Speaker 2: I can imagine what can be and be unburdened by what has been. You know, Americans have always been going at president, but they're not stupid.
Speaker 3: A political plunder is what a politician actually tells the truth.
Speaker 2: Have the people voted for you with not swamp watch? They're all countera. Well.
Speaker 1: We talked yesterday about how Donald Trump, the President, met with his cabinet there at the White House, low lighting, very Apprentice show like, and he talked about China and said we've reset the table. I would love to talk to them. There has been no movement in terms of China picking up the phone to negotiate during all this doubling down of tariffs and Beijing not backing down to the President on tariffs. And this is coming from the BBC. I think you should know what publication I'm reading from, because you never know, right. The BBC says that China's leaders would say they don't have to pick up the phone, they don't have to back down. They're not inclined to cave into a bully because before the tariff war kicked in, China did have a massive volume of.
Speaker 2: Sales to the US.
Speaker 1: But to put it into context, according to the BBC, this only amounted to two percent of its GDP. So, yes, America makes up a massive portion of the consumer base that China sells to, but in the grand scheme of things, it's only two percent of the GDP.
Speaker 2: There hard to believe. Yeah, that doesn't seem that. The number doesn't seem right.
Speaker 3: China did raise its levees on imports of US goods to one hundred and twenty five percent. They said the decision to single out their economy for higher duties is a joke. Investors have been waiting to see how China was going to respond to this move to effectively raise tariffs on Chinese goods up to one hundred and forty five percent, So we are putting a one hundred and forty five percent tariff on stuff coming into our country. They are putting one hundred and twenty five percent tariff on stuff going into their country.
Speaker 2: We have seen the wand their.
Speaker 3: Unit of currency slip to levels last seen during the global financial crisis in two thousand and eight. They did rebound slightly today. All of this dance to make goods trade between China and United States basically impossible. That's we're deadlocked right now when comes to those things. So any import above thirty five percent would wipe out the profit margin for a Chinese exporter, and it would make ours in China similarly overly expensive. So basically we've locked each other out of the markets. There is something going on where we believe that there have been discussions with some other countries in terms of trying to figure out how we're going to go forward over the next ninety days. The US Trade Representative Jamison Greer says, there are all kinds of plans in the works to negotiate with these other countries.
Speaker 5: Well, looking at those, we're reviewing those, We're communicating with them and giving them ideas so we can get to a point where the president can close these deals. He can negotiate and if there's a deal that's good, he can consider taking it, and if not, then he'll have the tariff. But that's what we're doing over the next ninety days.
Speaker 3: The mystery is when we'll see any of these deals. He was asked Jamison Greer was all, ask, Okay, so what's the timeline. Are we going to start seeing smaller countries. Are we going to have a deal with Vietnam within the week, or is it going to be we're going to push this full ninety days and use all of it.
Speaker 2: We just don't know this stall.
Speaker 1: Well, you've got to make a deal with Vietnam sooner rather than later, because that's a major piece, that's a major chess piece for our country.
Speaker 2: I found it interesting.
Speaker 1: Because we've been talking about how historically this doesn't happen. People don't have the political stomach for it, they don't have.
Speaker 2: The bravado for it.
Speaker 1: Usually you only see massive changes after wars Civil War World War One both led to higher tariffs. But also these tariffs are only possible because Congress has been delegating authority on trade policy to the president. In stages going back decades, starting in nineteen thirty four. Article one, Section eight of the Constitution expressly reserves for Congress the power to impose tariffs, but through the years that has been chipped away. They look at the smoot Hally terror fact of nineteen thirty as an example of ushering a global trade war at the time following the Great Depression.
Speaker 3: And there is at least some discussion in Congress now to bring some of that power back or there take it away from the president and put it back in the legislature.
Speaker 6: There is, and that's not going to happen, not right now.
Speaker 3: A Justice Department, also in DC, has told a federal judge that it's unable to provide information about the Maryland man, you remember, Kilmar Abrego Garcia, who was mistakenly deported l Salvador. They said the Department of Justice that the deadline set by the judge to provide the details was impracticable. The Supreme Court did issue an order yesterday that reaffirmed the judges directed for the federal government to facilitate his release from the El Salvadoran prison where he is. The Department of Justice has said, well, he's not in our custody. We can't really do much about it, and the judge is saying you have to do something about it to get him back here to the United States. The Justice Department says that they are not in a position where they could share information requested by the court.
Speaker 2: So this is going to be a continuing fight over and over again.
Speaker 1: Coming up next, sex, Franken, chickens, and high functioning depression. Something for everybody, Boy, you lay out a nice menu, right, You're damn right, idea.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 3: There is some movement the administration is pushing to advance peace talks between Ukraine and Russia that have stalled in recent weeks. In fact, Steve Whitkoff, the special envoy covering that has been set to is actually in Saint Petersburg today. He's expected to be meeting with President Putin after he meets with a Russian negotiator.
Speaker 1: One of my buddies that I work with in the football world was listening to us talk about the woman in Greenland who was fired, the woman who runs the base there who sent out the email saying that you know JD. Van's coming and saying Denmark's not doing enough for Greenland and security and running the security here and all of that.
Speaker 3: She's the commander of the Petifol Space Force base.
Speaker 2: Was the commander.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and she sent an email to everyone saying I don't know politics wise, but and I'm paraphrasing, but we're good here. We have a secure base, we run a secure operation, and she's been fired for doing so. And me not coming from that world, I was pretty clear saying I don't come from that world. I come from the world of learning about the military through the movies for the most part, unfortunately, and from people that I know but don't understand the command structure. One of my buddies said, I didn't hear the rest of the discussion, but was I wanted to talk about the Greenland commander that was fired. As a former naval officer, I can tell you that as a military member, especially an officer, you absolutely know that you cannot undermine, question, or publicly disagree with anything said by someone higher than you in the chain of command. Otherwise the whole military structure breaks down. And that's kind of what the thought process that I eventually got to was right in the military, there's a set of rules you follow or you die.
Speaker 6: Like that's just the way it is, and you have to fall.
Speaker 1: In line with chain of command. And that's absolutely makes sense to me. He went on to say, this person knew she would be fired. In fact, I bet there's a good chance she was fired by her immediate superior before Trump even.
Speaker 2: Heard about it.
Speaker 1: No matter if she's right or not, she absolutely should have been fired from that position.
Speaker 2: Have a great weekend.
Speaker 3: One of the other big issues that came out of DC was that Robert F. Kennedy Junior, the new Secretary of Health and Human Services, has said that he is going to undertake a quote or the department, I should say, we'll undertake a massive testing and research effort to try to figure out the cause of autism. He said that this will be completed by September, which is astonishing and the moonshot when it comes to the world of autism and trying to determine what sort of a cause that is. He said it would involve hundreds of scientists. I would assume he means from around the world, but obviously here in the United States.
Speaker 2: Wow, it's not just a one cause, right is it. I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 7: Ye.
Speaker 3: That's the thing is that everybody seems to everybody's criticized him because he has been credited with, I guess, or credited with saying that vaccines cause autism, which is not what he has said. And there are a lot of people that have said that vaccines don't cause autism and that there's been a definitive link. But I don't know how you could definitively prove a negative the vaccines don't listen.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'm not a scientist and I don't study that sort of thing. This is this is a great thing to study. Is he going to spend too much time concentrating on vaccines?
Speaker 2: I don't care.
Speaker 3: I want him to find what causes autism so that we can do something about it.
Speaker 1: You didn't hear about autism when we were growing up, and it did something change or was it just undiagnosed?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 2: Think about is it.
Speaker 1: The food, is it the the value whatever it is that you get environmental is a genetic we don't or was it just not diagnosed but we didn't call it that.
Speaker 2: But if it's as.
Speaker 1: Common as it was and just not diagnosed, we would know people or was this.
Speaker 2: They're just oh, well, that's funny that you say that.
Speaker 3: So we've been watching the show Love on the Spectrum, right, which is a story that's basically a dating reality show that deals with people who are on the autism spectrum. Some of them have down syndrome, some of them have both, and just the idea. I love the show because it's just human. It's just very These people are very real, very human. They're unfiltered, they're honest to a fault in some cases. But the what I know of in terms of people that in my life growing up with, they were work they were quirky, they were weird.
Speaker 2: They had certain.
Speaker 3: Things that they would do, repetitive behaviors and things like that, which now I look back and I think that's clearly someone with an autism spectrum disorders.
Speaker 6: What were these people like in school or family or yes and more.
Speaker 3: Than one, yes, and yes interesting and and part of it was because we my wife and I are watching that show and there's a woman on the current season of it, Georgie, who, for all intents and purposes, is clearly very high functioning in terms of whatever neurodiverse, urgent characteristics she has. She's very capable of living on her own, you know, carrying on conversations. She can read verbal and sarcasm and nonverbal cues and all that sort of stuff. Would she have been somebody that would even stand out forty years ago to be labeled something.
Speaker 2: No, you know, that's a good point, and so that's part of it. I mean, some of the behaviors that.
Speaker 1: And then how much of it is tamped down because it's not acceptable? Using your hypothetical her love interest on the show, Connor, if he wasn't fully accepted by his family, which he is, but if he wasn't, how much of what comes out of his mouth would be kept inside? How much would he tamp it down to appear to be quote unquote normal. I bet there was a lot of that going on. I bet there was a lot of that going on in families that didn't that didn't ever tell the truth outside of the home.
Speaker 2: Even Yeah, you.
Speaker 1: Know, it's all like people could pass as not autistic.
Speaker 6: I'm assuming yeah all the time.
Speaker 3: And remember, I mean the whole thing is that it's a spectrum. I mean, there's some that are severely non verbal autistic, and right, right, right, right, incapable of the wide living sort of it on their own or in normal, normal life. And then there's other people who just have things that are unique to them that would otherwise not even necessarily raise anybody's suspension.
Speaker 1: I mean, and the more I watch and I say this all the time, I feel like we're all.
Speaker 6: Somewhere on this on the spectrum.
Speaker 1: We all have our things, absolutely and we could make a case for it.
Speaker 2: Like my inability to see perceive colors.
Speaker 6: Way, No, that's different. That's a different thing you're working with.
Speaker 3: Like if I if I had what is the boy the condition where you see colors as numbers and vice versa.
Speaker 2: I don't remember what the word.
Speaker 6: Is the condition that Abby's boyfriend haunts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, David, David, So this would be a seven, and I think this is a seven, but you were saying this is a seven and this is nine.
Speaker 6: I'm not smart enough to put numbers to colors.
Speaker 2: So I don't know. Franken chickens. You know what Franken chicken is. No, it's not what. It's not good. It doesn't sound good.
Speaker 3: Gary and Shannon will continue to tell you what Franken Chickens are.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty A.
Speaker 2: Few hours away.
Speaker 3: I think we're four four hours away from another execution in South Carolina today.
Speaker 2: Did you see the pink moon the night? No, you did not. I didn't go outside last night. Huh. I mean we talked that I didn't see them.
Speaker 1: We talked about the pink moon on the show. It was a clear night. I saw the pink moon. It did appear to be a very small full moon, the smallest of the year, but not pink No, because it's named after the pink ma that the Native Americans saw was the first moss of springtime or the last moss of springtime.
Speaker 3: But you don't care about the firing squad execution in South Carolina.
Speaker 2: No firing squad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is a second one. We it's kind of pass a now. We went through a firing squad execution a month ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's only like the.
Speaker 3: The fifteenth, no fifth firing squad execution since nineteen seventy seven when they reinstated the death penalty.
Speaker 2: Fifth. That's a lot, I mean, not a lot. That's not a lot.
Speaker 3: And they do it in the same room where they have the electric chair in South Carolina, they just put up a different chair and then put a box or a bag on the guy's head and put a little cross over his heart and then they shoot him.
Speaker 2: Might as well.
Speaker 1: I mean, if the government's going to kill people, why not just make it as cheap as possible, cheap and easy and quick. And his lawyer, because god, you we messing around with the syringes and chairs and things.
Speaker 2: Just if you're going to kill someone, to shoot him right in the.
Speaker 3: Heart, you gotta be some kind of special lawyer. And I'll choose my words carefully here to represent this guy. He had killed a convenience store clerk in an off duty cop in South Carolina. Quote Mikyle chose the firing squad instead of being burned and mutilated in the electric chair or suffering a lingering death on the lethal injection gurney because of South Carolina. You get to choose your method, and if you don't choose the method, they just put you on the electric chair.
Speaker 2: I'm saying. I mean, he's got a point.
Speaker 1: It's very colorful, but lethal injection it's not just taking a nap.
Speaker 2: Body goes through some stuff.
Speaker 1: We all saw that movie with Tom Hanks, the green mile electric chair is not always the best bet either.
Speaker 2: Well if you do it wrong, yeah.
Speaker 6: Well, who's to say they're going to do it right.
Speaker 3: The number of chickens suffering from diseases and dying prematurely in slaughterhouses is leading to some potential health problems in human and you're just full of guy loving it?
Speaker 8: Is it?
Speaker 2: Orange?
Speaker 1: Is a yellow firing squad, mutilation and burning bodies and electric chairs and now chickens.
Speaker 3: Antibiotic resistant bacteria have apparently been growing because of antibiotic resistant infections in our chickens, not just chickens, but other meats as well. According to the latest available figures from the UK Health Security Agency, two thousand, six hundred people died from serious antibiotic resistant infections in twenty twenty three in the UK.
Speaker 2: That's just in the UK.
Speaker 3: And the bacteria can pass from chickens to us when we handle the raw meat from chicken carcasses or if you don't cook it well enough, et cetera, and animal welfare problems on those farms, they say, are exacerbating that problem. The most common problem found among chickens is cellulitis, a bacterial.
Speaker 2: Skin infection I get it. The other one is this is gonna be good. Ready. Yeah. A chicken.
Speaker 3: Usually is grown and slaughtered in thirty five days. Wow, thirty five days. It used to be four times that much. They used to be around for four or five months before they'd be old enough and big enough to slaughter.
Speaker 1: If you're a chicken these days, you don't even get to experience the seasons.
Speaker 2: You just like all of life is like July thirty five days.
Speaker 1: Thirty five days, Like you're just sitting there sweating as a chicken for your whole life. Or or conversely, if you're a chicken born in December, your whole life is winter and you're cold.
Speaker 2: You don't get to see the full season of severans. I don't think that. I think you're making a joke out of this like this, you are not. I am not Deborah.
Speaker 1: Have you heard about this with the chickens and chickens exactly?
Speaker 2: For this is one of the reasons she doesn't eat the chickens.
Speaker 9: Well, yes, I don't need any meat.
Speaker 2: It's a different reason.
Speaker 1: It's a cellulite. Well they were he was talking about the cellulite of the chickens. I mean cellulitis, same thing it's not.
Speaker 10: It's one last thing I have to worry about that I don't eat chicken, right right, yeah, I mean there's too many other things to be concerned about.
Speaker 3: You don't have to worry about the fact that in many places where chickens are raised, they're raised in a in an area that's roughly the size of a piece of paper. I don't like that, and that's horrible. They're often not cleaned in the thirty five to forty five.
Speaker 2: Days that they're alive.
Speaker 1: Not one shower, No chicken shower, bubble bath, not one.
Speaker 3: So that means that everything that they excrete through their cloaca ends up all over them.
Speaker 2: Wow, can we move?
Speaker 9: How can you guys eat chicken after hearing all?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Because it tastes so good. More green juice, right, yeah, yes, yeah.
Speaker 9: More green juice. Absolutely.
Speaker 1: I'm on this kick where all I'm eating is green juice and chocolate and ice cream.
Speaker 2: Some good life. It's pretty good.
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 2: Coming up next?
Speaker 1: Do you want to talk about sex or high functioning depression?
Speaker 6: Okay, we'll talk about sex.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: Take it where you can get it.
Speaker 1: The Dodgers being in third place in April is the same thing as what a hooker in a gutter.
Speaker 3: I don't think either one of us is going to get any sort of praise for what just happened.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, hooker, good bear.
Speaker 11: I put the TV on, and my husband can sleep anywhere at any time. You can snap your fingers in a fall asleep. But I have to have something on when I go to bed, and it's got to be something boring that I've seen before but that I like watch it today, and then I just kind of loull off to sleep. It's kind of like white noise in the background.
Speaker 1: I used to have a series of movies that I would put on. Heather's was one of them, movies that I've seen seventy five times, and I had them on VHS and I would just pop them in to go to sleep, too.
Speaker 2: Dev I don't know if you heard this.
Speaker 3: We were talking earlier about this study that suggests that about a third of people, a third of couples usually sleep in separate bedrooms, and that many of those who do that say that it means that they have better sexual relations really because they because they plan it well.
Speaker 2: They may plan it, they.
Speaker 1: May not plan it. There's no plants like it's evolved. Look at me surprise I especially if you have younger kids. Some of the people that are that are profiled in these y some people are profiled said they have young kids, so they don't they don't get a lot of rest. And this way, if you sleep in separate bedrooms, you're going to be better rested, just generally. I was talling Deborah that my great aunt and uncle Aunt Mary and Uncle Andy, they had separate beds and they were twin beds, separate twin beds.
Speaker 9: So what do they do when they want sexy time? To put the beds together?
Speaker 1: What my question was, Deborah, where did Aunt Mary and Uncle Andy have sex?
Speaker 6: I texted my brother asking him where do you think?
Speaker 3: Oh gosh, what are awful text for your brother to receive? He remember he's met me before.
Speaker 2: He knows. Tray.
Speaker 3: I think he knows when you're the message is from you, it's going to be something off the wall, and literally.
Speaker 1: Because he's not listening to the show. This is out of nowhere. At ten am on a Friday, where did Aunt Mary and Uncle Andy have sex? Now, both of these people have been dead for about forty years ps and he wrote back without missing a beat on the piano. They did have a beautiful large piano.
Speaker 10: That would not be very comfortable though, but musical but creative.
Speaker 7: Hey, Gary and Shannon, so years ago before my husband retired from LAPD. He had to go to sleep and wake up much earlier than I did, and so we would visit each other and hook up. I met me things a little spicy and kalliente, galliente.
Speaker 9: We visit each other.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a little like surprise, so terrified. Do you imagine.
Speaker 2: A day nice sleep and all of a sudden surprise.
Speaker 9: What happens when people have guns under their pillow?
Speaker 2: God, I imagine shot.
Speaker 8: You'd have to have Hi, Gary and Shannon, my husband and I had been married forty seven years.
Speaker 2: We have a five hundred square foot.
Speaker 8: Master sweet WHOA A big portion of it is a walking closet my house. A little girl cave in the walking closet by the sliding door, and it is perfect.
Speaker 2: I don't have to deal with his.
Speaker 8: Snoring and is rolling around and all that is perfect.
Speaker 2: Adopt me, please adopt me.
Speaker 6: Her bed walk is forty five hundred square feet.
Speaker 2: No five hundred, oh, five hundred.
Speaker 1: And then she said the bedroom is forty five hundred square feet.
Speaker 2: I was like, Hi, adoption five hundred. I'll do the coaching. That's a sizeable that's five hundred.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is a sizeable, sizeable room that is about half the size of my house.
Speaker 2: I'm just I'm not down with it. You know, my wife is maybe going to be like Renee.
Speaker 1: Remember when Ree called and she said, I forbid my husband from sleeping in another room.
Speaker 2: That's you. No, I don't forbid it. It would just make me sad.
Speaker 9: Well, what about when somebody's really sick.
Speaker 10: So, for instance, my husband has it cold, a really bad cold. Because of the kind of jobs that we have, right, most people you can be okay and have a cough for for months and whatever. But for us, when we talk on the air for a living, so he will sleep in a separate.
Speaker 2: When I'm sick, I have to be alone. I cannot.
Speaker 6: I like it's a very it's a thing for me. I just need to be alone.
Speaker 9: So you want to be uh huh okay.
Speaker 6: But I'm like a dying animal, I like seek out, isolate.
Speaker 2: You make him leave.
Speaker 1: I mean I would, I would leave I would leave, but he if I'm sick, and it's very rare, can't. I's torotally in one hand the amount of times that I've been that sick.
Speaker 6: But he'll sleep in the other room because I'm sick.
Speaker 1: Yes, No, I'm not make your wife like sleep in the spare room if she was sick.
Speaker 2: No, I wouldn't. What are you saying if.
Speaker 1: She wanted to be alone she liked sad.
Speaker 2: I would be sad.
Speaker 3: I'd be sad that it wasn't comfortable for her to be in the bed.
Speaker 9: Maybe she doesn't want to get you.
Speaker 2: That's the thing.
Speaker 1: I don't want to be sick in front of anybody, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: And my wife is very similar to that.
Speaker 3: You can't, don't tut, don't, don't, don't stop making noises. Stop And if that's the case, well then go on, I don't care. Lock the door behind you. But but but it does make me sad for selfish reasons.
Speaker 2: And I've said this multiple times already today.
Speaker 3: It's completely selfish that I would think, well, she doesn't even feel comfortable enough to just go to bed, you know, and this is her bed too.
Speaker 2: It's not like I don't know it's all about me.
Speaker 9: Sometimes I like sleeping alone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, once in a while I can stretch.
Speaker 9: I mean I wouldn't want to do it all the time for sure.
Speaker 2: Well, you got to get out of that twin bed.
Speaker 9: No, I have a California King okay.
Speaker 2: Like normal human, five hundred square foot master suite.
Speaker 10: My two dogs sleep with us as well. No, yes, no, oh, yes they.
Speaker 2: Do, Darling. Yes, I love you. Get out. What get the dog's name is? Oh?
Speaker 9: I thought I was darling.
Speaker 3: Well you keep that up, you will. You probably have two sinks too in your bathroom, I do.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: That's the way to do it. That's why she's happy in her marriage.
Speaker 2: Two toilets. Yeah no, what.
Speaker 9: No, No, Shannon, I don't have my own bath You don't.
Speaker 2: Have you have separate bathroom. Yeah, one is down the hall.
Speaker 9: That's cool.
Speaker 2: I have to have that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that's not the way that it's not a master suite with two different Now it's one of you has gone to.
Speaker 1: The other exactly exactly. Okay, there are two bathrooms in my house. Like, it's not like I've got five bathrooms to play around with.
Speaker 3: You just wrote it through each day of the week. A huge twelve o'clock hour is coming up next. You've been listening to The Garret and Shannon Show, you can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app