Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: Joining us in studio as friend of the show and my brother from another mother. Say, say, Nick Poliochini, what is up?
Speaker 1: Nick?
Speaker 3: It is so good to be back with you. And I can't even believe, and I'm going to do the cliched thing. I can't believe we're already into February because it already feels like we have lived through a year to the.
Speaker 2: Point I can believe and appreciative that we are in February because January could not end soon enough.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly. So I'm glad that we're finally here. But it's good to be here and thank you for having me. But I just want to do you want to just jump into it?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 3: So I want to talk about something I actually did last week and it's something that's really cool that I think we'll be exciting because it comes up here in the next couple of months. So I was at the Pasadena Showcase House for the Arts, and this was something that has the sixtieth anniversary this year, and this is something that's very unique and different because it is a fundraiser for diverse arts programs within the schools in the Altadena and the Pasadena and everything else. So it's very interesting because it was supposed to happen. We did an empty house party, so it's this big, beautiful home in Pasadena and all these incredible designers come together and decorate it, and then you get to go through it and you get to meet the designers and you figure out their process, which in the world that we're living in right now, it kind of helps. It was really interesting to talk to me because a lot of them are very local, live in the SGV, the San Gabriel Valley area, and so they're very affected by the ETN fire and everything else that happened. So but also the amount of money, I mean the millions of dollars that have been raised by the Showcase House of Design. So this will be the sixtieth anniversary and so far it's twenty six million dollars contributed to the arts within the San Gabriel Valley area. So this year is going to be very very different because they're also working with cal Fire, and they're also working with the Eaton Fire and trying to help people that are trying to figure out and navigate people getting back into their homes and however that all plays out. But being able to go and tear through this big, beautifle home that was torn down to pretty much the studs and getting ready for it to come in is so different and unique because for me, I'm not that guy. I'm not that designer guy. So to be able to experience it in person and being able to talk to people and kind of get their process for it, but also to have this unusual weight that kind of was overshadowing the whole event because it was supposed to happen literally the week that the fires broke out, and so then for it to transition into this is so unique. But to see and be able to talk to these designers, some of them very very young, and that are up and coming, working with different architecture firms and everything here in the Southland and really being able to do it. So this is just one of the many things that you can check out. You can always follow me on social media. Nick pouliyo'keanney this weekend and Nick. Details for it are at the Lincoln Bio. But that one was so different because, as we talked about, and we've talked about a few times, having been over the Palisades with fires and volunteering, and then now being back into the San Marino Altadena Pasadena area. The whole thing. It's so interesting to be in the environment, even if you're not directly in the area where the fire was affected, It's affected everybody, and it doesn't matter if we're talking about the bougie world of San Marino and South Past and everything else. It has genuinely affected everybody. And so to be an event where it was really kind of a celebration, I mean, it's their sixtieth anniversary anyway of raising so much money for the kids, but it was specific to being able to talk to a lot of people who lost a lot or knew people who lost a lot, So it was very, very different. But anyway, that was the empty house party, and I've got some pictures on social media that you can check out. It's pretty wild. It's a beautiful home. But I'll be also passing along details as time progresses about how you can check it out when it's all decked out and has all those designers and all the fun and excitement for it. It's different, it's unique, it's something special. It is not free ninety nine but all the money I know. But I'll get to the free ninety nine stuff there in a bit. But it's something where the money is going to a cause and you get to see it, because that's I think the thing that we don't experience a lot is we make a donation. I don't want to call anybody out, but there's a couple of places that even this week, have said, oh, we're putting out you know, this box of candy and a dollar from it is going to support Yeah, which I hugely appreciate because I don't know every facet of it. But when you actually get to tangibly experience where the money is going, that's so different than just to be like, oh, I feel good about myself. I donated money. I was able to support a cause and help people out. It's less abstract it is, and it's very like when we're talking design, it's literally you know, you're able to be in there and really touch everything and feel every you know, piece of material from wallpaper to paint, the way that the sculptures are done, to hearing the stories of why they picked what went into what room to honor that home that's in Pasadena and has this here history from the nineteen twenties when it was built. So it's really cool, really different. But something else to get into that's a little bit more exciting is that's happening right now is the Pan African Film and Arts Festival kicked off tonight, So I was actually this is my I came over here because I want to hang out here, but tonight was a really cool opening party for it. But this is something that kind of goes back to what you've talked about earlier, that in real life IRL theater crimunal experience, because this is different for me, and this for me is one of the first major film festivals that's happening here in southern California. They happen every weekend. They happen every week. This one runs through the middle of the month. But you get to sit down and meet those people. So beyond talking about Fantastic four and all the really cool trailers and everything with Marvel Do we love from the big, huge powerhouses, to be able to meet people kind of like you even talked about the documentaries and being able to meet these people and talk to them and really get that feel. For me, this is what makes that in person experience more viable. And so even if you don't go to this specific film festival, I encourage you to find what's going on in your backyard, because literally, there's stuff that goes on in Newport Beach, There's stuff that goes on out in Riverside, there's stuff that happens up in ventur there's things that happen in San Diego. So much is happening throughout the Southland that happens not just on the weekends but during the week And I think that's the biggest thing, because sometimes you just need a reset, and we've really hit that point now where the in person experience for movies may not connect with everybody.
Speaker 2: And I think after a certain point, we get in such a routine of it's either the movies or this or that, we lose sight of the other options which are available, or we don't think to explore these other options.
Speaker 3: No, And I think that's it. You hit the nail on the head specifically, because we get into our bubble, we get into our blinders on situation. I got to get up at X number hours, I got work, I got this. I can maybe fit in, you know, a drink with a friends during the week These are really cool opportunities for you to get out there and to be a part of the community and also get that drink with your friends. And it doesn't take much and for the most part, like including the Filmfest, the Pan African Film and Arts Festival, they have an install at Westfield Cuver City, so it's happening at the Colus Theater.
Speaker 2: Excuse me, Yes, the fox Fields Mall.
Speaker 3: You're correct, it is the fox Hills Mall.
Speaker 1: No, if you ever call it, well, you're right.
Speaker 2: Look his mama name him Clay. I'm gonna call him Clay. It's the fox Fields Mall.
Speaker 3: Which is funny because no one when going back to my time as the traffic reporter here for KFI, I would always talks about Fox Hills and people literally like where's that? And I was like, what the monument? But that's so saying you cannot miss it. If you're going up the four h five, you cannot miss the Fox Hills Mall. Now granted it out now has Westfield Culver City branding and everything else. Okay what they call it, but that's it. And that whole area right there just before the ninety is going to be the Fox Hills area like right there on the East Edge city right exactly. But it's so in go to that and being able to even go to which you used to be the Magic Johnson Theater in Crenshaw is now a cinema, so yes, the theater and so they're one of the venues that will be be showcasing the films from the Pan African Film Festival. So it's something that's different. But again going back over to Fox Hills Mall, Westfield, Culver City, that they do have over one hundred and fifty international artists that have an art installation there which is kind of cool. So that plays into the Free ninety nine. You may get a little bit of you may get a little bit of commerce in there.
Speaker 2: How much is that again?
Speaker 3: Free ninety nine?
Speaker 2: Okay, thank you very much. We got to go to a quick break. We'll have more with Nick Paulliochin and just a moment with Kim six forty Live everywhere the ic Heeartradio app.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: Last go.
Speaker 4: To tell you Last got up Hotel Us Week's.
Speaker 2: Kay if I am six forty It's Later with Mo Kelly and Nick Poliochini. We're both live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app and Nick still, what is up? What is going on? Where are we going? Where are you going?
Speaker 3: I'm going to be headed off to Disney this weekend, which is not surprising. We talked about many of my eighteen times. But the thing that I like, and I actually was there today before coming in because right now is to celebrate Soulfully Festival. Well festival, I guess it's not the right name for it, but to celebrate Soulfully is happening at the Disneyland Resort, so it affects Downtown Disney, Disneyland Park, and Disney California Venture Park. The next two weekends are two of my favorite weekends at the resort because of the Fantasy Land Theater inside of Disneyland. So yes, it does require park admission, but if you are one of our Magic key holders, if you're an annual pass holder like me, this is well worth your time. So go ahead and get in there and make that day reservation for Saturday or Sunday this weekend or next because they have the Celebrate Gospel, which is an absolutely incredible thing. Different choirs from around the south Land and around the country. So there's a couple that are coming in from Africa this year and a couple from Europe. So it's really really impressive for you to come in. And this is something while it is not free ninety nine to get into Disneyland, it is included with the price of admission. So whether you're a magic keyholder and you are going and just have like myself, gospel, it is the Gospel Fest. So it's the next two weekends. But it's so different and unique because a lot of people may have heard this music but have an experienced date. And if you've never been to church, like we've talked about church, right, this is that opportunity for you because it's not just you know, going to someone's home or going to somebody's home church. You've got different parishes from around the country, around the world that'll be there, but specifically you'll have just choirs that come out and for me, that style of music, I mean as not to be cliched again with Disney with the celebrate soulfully, but there's a different soul behind it. There's a different feeling behind that style of music, and so that is something worth checking out. Also, we're exactly a month away from Marty Grau, which I'm excited because that means I'll be here to celebrate Fat Tuesday with you guys, because Tuesdays with Nick and what's up with Nick? Hey, we're gonna be So a month from today is gonna be Marty Grau. But that doesn't mean it's not already everywhere around the Southland, including SeaWorld down in San Diego. I was there this past weekend, checked it out. They've got a brand new parade, so that is a great opportunity for you. Took my nieces down there because they have their birthdays at the end of January. And the thing that's special about SeaWorld, and it's very controversial still to this day, after Blackfish and everything else, SeaWorld is so educational, and that is where so many people are like, oh, I never go because of you know, the controversy behind how the animals retreat and everything else like that. And I can understand if that's where you say, okay, But when I lived in San Diego as a kid, that was my first theme park before Disneyland or anything else, and I was so excited to be able to go in there and experience what it would be to be like a marine biologist. So that's the opportunity that's still there. So it's a very different world. Now, I don't think that's contradictory. Two things could have been true, which is true.
Speaker 2: The treatment of the animals and marine life could have been problematic, and it was still education.
Speaker 3: Right, which is the thing. And I understand and relate to where people come from of what you just said if it's something that is very deep to your heart. But the thing is, it is so incredible to have taken my nieces who are now six and nine and see the wonder in their eyes that you don't experience. You see them go have a good time at another theme park, or you take them to the church carnival and they get to go on rides, and that's a whole fun experience. But being able to be up close and personal, especially with marine animals, is so unique and special and sea world. While you can experience that at zoos or maybe if you're lucky enough to be able to go some ways that has, you know, a wildlife preserve that you can experience. This is so different. But on top of that, completely separate you've got Marty Gross celebrations underway down there. They also just had a Lunar New Year celebration. If you're still looking to do Lunar's New Year, check out this weekend with Nick and Nick Poliochini on Instagram. The Lincoln Bio has all the final celebrations that are happening for Lunar New Year, which just happened last week. So it's a really great opportunity. You granted, we're getting back into the swing of things after everything that hit us here in southern California, but there's so much for you to enjoy. In fact, you can even head over to Buyne Park because this weekend kicks off Peanuts celebration, so that's Peanuts Charles Schultz with Snoopy and Charlie Brown and Lucy. That celebration happens every year, and going to Wayne Park and going to Knotsberry Farm if you're looking for something a little bit more on the reasonably priced side. That theme park and resort is great and they have a fantastic hotel there. You can make an entire experience out of it. But that's just a bunch of stuff going on, Like it's we've gotten through January, which took three years to get through or so it.
Speaker 2: Fell thereabouts maybe two and a half years.
Speaker 3: But now that we're moving into February, it's nice to be able to get out. And that's my biggest encouragement. As the air quality is improving around southern California the fires, it's time to get out because this is that time of the year where things are a little chill and a little mellow before we get into the thick of it once again, because spring break will be here right around the corner and then summer.
Speaker 2: And it seems like we're getting rained this week, but not this weekend.
Speaker 3: Correct, And even if it is, and if it's going to be what we've seen, we haven't had rain extensively. So that's one of those kind of the inside scoop if you will, of going to a theme park or going to any of these venues, even if it is an outdoor experience, if the experience isn't canceled or if the park isn't closed for the day, it's a great time to go. If you want short lines, if you want to be able to get on everything. Obviously, check in and then the one thing that I'm gonna it'll be a tease for Rue and Back next week. But fan Fest is coming to Universal Studios, which is a brand a new experience that will be coming up. I'll be there for the opening weekend of it. But FanFest will be the maybe the sister event to Halloween Horn Nights, and it is going to be featuring Star Trek and Back to the Future and all the different Universal properties, plus anime and all many, many, many different things. So I don't know, like it's now's the time we're getting back into the swing of things. There's so much happening around southern California. And if you're doing Universal CityWalk, that's free ninety nine. If you're using Downtown Disney oh wait, wait wait.
Speaker 2: City Walk is free parking pardons.
Speaker 4: Not free, okay, but woo.
Speaker 3: But with validation, depending on where you're going, you'll be able to get that.
Speaker 2: Look, when I lived in Studio City, I spent a lot of time back in the day at CityWalk. The parking was cost prohibitive.
Speaker 3: I can understand that. And here's my recommendation, and I say this with all the love in the world for the Disneyland Resort. You can get a pass to Universal Studios that includes parking for a very reasonable price of only a couple hundred bucks. Reasonable reasonable for a year's worth of exp oh years year's worth.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, we're not talking for one night. No no, no, okay, no no, because I know it was getting very expensive for one night. I mean it's like one night going to see a sporting of it fifty dollars.
Speaker 3: No, you're absolutely right, so I think that's it. And especially down your way. I mean you're in the thick of it into a dome and the forum like ninety no exactly. That's why I get lucky because I get to go, hey, Mo, you can stop my mind stop by your house, do you mind? And I'm just lift for uber over It would be funny because now I'm spending the money to get over there. But still yeah, So anyway, thanks for having me on dude. Always good to see you, brother, pleasure as always.
Speaker 2: Will we come back. I have to tell you about this must see TV show. You must watch it at least the first episode. The first episode, take my word for it. If you don't take my word for it, you're missing out on one of the best shows of the year. We'll tell you about it next.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI a M six forty