Speaker 1: Breaking down all the x is at OHS. This is Iye on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty eight.
Speaker 2: Okay, welcome back to any of the ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty I'm Steve Rivera, your Troy, your one. Now we have Ray with breaking news. Did we leave you anything, Yeah, we got a little bit of stuff.
Speaker 1: Okay, Hi on the ball Breaking News on Fox Sports fourteen fifty All.
Speaker 3: Right, kind of just going over some of the stuff that we've done. According to ON three or three Rivals in twenty four to seven, Arizona is a top three with ON three breaking US at one. Rivals has US at two, and twenty four to seven has US at three.
Speaker 4: So are they done? Yeah, that's it for the for that recruiting class. But again transfer portal will always be there.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Following that up, the Georgia star fresh man Oza Newwell has declared for the NBA.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I think he was pretty good. He's a guard, right, solid player, very good, you know.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: J other big news this one coming from within the conference. JT Toppins coming back for another year at is.
Speaker 4: He he's a fantastic player.
Speaker 2: It was funny because I saw you this morning or last night that he's projected to be a second round pick, and I'm thinking this, dude, I would love that dude on my team.
Speaker 4: I think his problem is one the size to the age. I think he's a little bit older. Right, Well, if you're old, you're old this year, next year. No, I know, but NBA they want younger, the perfect body. But he's going to be a good player.
Speaker 2: He's a fantastic player, and he kept that ship going moving for Texas tech women. Women do this just happen. I just got a text. Yeah, well just make sure you attribute to where you see.
Speaker 5: It, okay.
Speaker 3: Michael lev says that Arizona said to name Buffalo's yeah, Becky Burke.
Speaker 2: It I just couldn't te just got a text about that. Yeah, so they've found somebody. No, it's you're on the clock. You're on the clock. She's got a pretty good Do you know much about it?
Speaker 4: I don't know much about her, to be honest.
Speaker 2: I read some things, just you know, success there.
Speaker 4: They've been a very solid program. I know that in terms of region recruiting stuff like that. Her history, I don't know. We'll see.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, man, who I'm coming in with the with the WOS bomb right there.
Speaker 5: Dude.
Speaker 4: I had gotten a text too.
Speaker 2: I was wondering if you were going to see it because I wasn't gonna say anything until it became official.
Speaker 5: Yeah, just keeping it moving. I'm sure we're going to circle back to that.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: When the Maryland coach, Kevin Willard, you know that that whole drunk it out. Yeah, he got tweeted out, you know, holding a picture with the villanova Jersey Derrek queen from mary You know he is going with took to social media. Oh and you know, just just a little upset about it, which makes sense.
Speaker 2: Okay, because his coach is doing that or his ex coach was doing that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, you know.
Speaker 4: You know, here's the thing.
Speaker 2: It's been going on a long time with coaches jumping going and making more money. I don't know what's right and what's wrong, especially with the players moving as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a little hypocritical, right so he yeah, just go get it and get it, and you know, don't want the door hitch in the ass. No, seriously keeping it moving. The base Arizona baseball team one yesterday eleven to nine against New Mexico State came into the week ranked at twenty four. Yeah, according to the NCAA website. Another a little bit more of a feel good story here, Thomas Luke Meaness I hope I'm not saying that too wrong, was named. He's a swimmer who was named the Big twelve Men's Freshman of the Year.
Speaker 4: Okay, cool? Did he?
Speaker 7: What do you?
Speaker 4: Did? You say? What you want? Because they just finish championships?
Speaker 5: Do I think it?
Speaker 4: Said?
Speaker 3: He set multiple individual relay program records and qualified in multiple events for the Yeah, for the championship meet. Moving on to baseball though, to the mlbuh the Dodgers Freddie Freeman expected to return from the Cubs. He got hurt I think for the oh did he? Yeah? He like slipped in the showers.
Speaker 5: Oh man, he got me.
Speaker 2: The showers gonna be the only thing that kills the Dodgers because they're so damn good.
Speaker 5: I guess they've lost two or three now, yeah, they they lost three.
Speaker 3: They just finished up their game I think to finish the series with the Nationals. But I'm pretty sure they lost two against the Nationals, which makes my little heart happy.
Speaker 5: Uh uh.
Speaker 3: Cody Bellinger says that he's gonna swear off chicken wings after food poisoning apparently.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah you got food poisoning, Duke, Yeah, yeah, I did. You gotta don't go to boat Jingles. You get the the Cajun biscuit chicken sandwich. Ye really, Jangles. I will never go to a Jingles ever again in my life. Here so many good things too, too. That's why you went. It wasn't it wasn't good.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's I guess, I guess.
Speaker 3: Pegro Martinez, a Hall of Fame Pitcher, says that he has family members missing after.
Speaker 2: A God, how many people were in that place because it's it was in the Dominican rig Yeah, in the Dominican I think it was that place because you know Dotel passes away. It's all about fifty four people. Now he has family members missing. Yeah, what kind of event was it? Probably a big nightclub, I'm assuming, right, Yeah, but you think that you know, people famous people didn't have you know, it's just weird all these names.
Speaker 4: But I mean, how many plates. Obviously we've never been republic. There's one place to go. How many places are there to go? I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm sure there's a bunch. Have you ever been to Cuba? Well, dude, Miami, little Cuba in Miami.
Speaker 4: Holy crap.
Speaker 5: So yeah, thoughts prayers out to them. I have hopefully hopefully everything works out.
Speaker 3: Today is Luca's returned to Dallas the first time since the trade.
Speaker 4: But did you see the game with the Okay? See was it?
Speaker 2: I guess he got thrown out for fighting with somebody in the stands.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, they but it was.
Speaker 4: Not really him fighting with the people in the stands.
Speaker 8: I don't know it was. It was he stared down a fan, thought he was doing it to him, refrojected him, and pretty much.
Speaker 4: In the game. Yeah. Yeah, the NBA, Yeah, he probably deserved it.
Speaker 5: Uh. Jalen Wells is out of the hospital.
Speaker 3: He's expected to miss extended time with the broken wrist. Grizzlies guard okay, uh yeah, we were talking about it a little earlier.
Speaker 5: Yeah, did he need the card? Did not? I don't know.
Speaker 3: Kind of a two party here, but the Suns got absolutely crushed yesterday.
Speaker 4: They're just done.
Speaker 2: Well, mister mister you and Howard, You and Howard, no, watch out. They're on a momentum, momentum momentum.
Speaker 3: You've said momentum so many times in the last couple of weeks. Man, all right, yeah, I gotta gotta match up with a thunder to night.
Speaker 4: Yeah, doesn't doesn't as a Suns fans, Yeah, no, this team has no heart. They're done. Do you think it's gonna be broken up? They will get rid of Katie, They'll keep Booker. I think Booker is a building piece. Try to read to ol Kitty. You can still get a lot for him and see what you can get when you have money in free agency. Keeping the coach. No, he's gone. He's gone. Apparently it's pretty bad in the locker room. And once that happens, Oh yeah, that's if that happens. No, you get snapped. You guys can't fix it. Go get Mike Miller. Denver just fired him and Crazy Malone. Mike Malone, thank you in a crazy situation.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, Phoenix is kind of just misstepped and misstep and misstep since going to the finals a few years ago.
Speaker 4: It has but you know what, and fans get mad. They took the KD swing. Didn't work out. They took the Bradley Beals swing. Although you know what, Chris Paul being in a wheelchair when I worked out either. So atleast this ownership group tried, where the previous ownership group just sat on their butt and said, we're okay with being mediocre. At least there was an attempt. That's I'm fine with that. Okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, anyway, son's son's outside looking in on the plane.
Speaker 5: Diamondbacks.
Speaker 3: Uh just won their series last night against the Orioles.
Speaker 4: They are I believe what Uh six and six and five seven six, you.
Speaker 3: Go, they got a got a series against the Brewers, who you know didn't look very good against the Yankees star season off.
Speaker 4: That was when the whole torpedo bat that. That's in Phoenix. Uh yeah, okay.
Speaker 5: Earlier, maybe like an hour ago.
Speaker 3: I guess police were called to Tyreek Hill's house because his wife.
Speaker 5: Him and his wife were involved in domestic dispute. But she's not gonna press any charges.
Speaker 4: Okay, good didn't have issues before a lot, Ye had a lot of issues.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 2: Don't give me on marriage, You guys, don't give me on marriage. You better move to the next.
Speaker 5: Up with the Masters coming up.
Speaker 3: Uh, sports books have Scottish Shuffler and Rory pulling it up right now, Jay.
Speaker 2: Would be saying how much he's gonna bet I'm gonna how much Rory you would go forward?
Speaker 4: Seventy one eight one.
Speaker 5: Just I don't know why I didn't have it, like just plainly up here.
Speaker 4: That's up real quick.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he he goes in plus four to seventy five, and then Malcilroy is plus six six five.
Speaker 4: Okay, six six two five. That's all right, that's not a bad twenty little bit whatever.
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, and yeah, that's it. That's about it.
Speaker 4: So did you look at Burke? I did? Yeah, what's what's up? So former Louisville guard. Oh yeah, has been to a final four, lost to Yukon and then in a final four game like a lot of people do. Uh, had success at College of Charleston, had success at let's see here USC Upstate, and has done very good at Buffalo, where she has gone sixty one and thirty seven during her dime there. Yeah. If you win places like that, you know you're pretty good.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 4: My only question is that they're all out there in the South and the east. You're coming over to Arizona. Can you recruit this area? Can you recruit the West coast? Can you recruit Texas. It just comes down to recruiting for me. But if you can coach them, yeah, get some transfers. You never know.
Speaker 2: We'll see what happens. This will be uh, death Ray's first big hire. Uh yeah, because she didn't hire Brett yep. So we'll see what happens. No, good, congrats to Burke. We'll see Wednesday, Wednesday, maybe maybe Saturdays. Maybe a press covers Monday, maybe Monday, Monday. Yeah, okay, we'll see what happens.
Speaker 4: Very young, thirty five has has I don't think death Rays spoken about the departure, right, No, I don't think anybody will. I think I should. This is a book coming in five years when people are ready to talk to you for thirty about Arizona women's basketball. Right, how many people would watch it? That's how many transfers thirty for the last thirty years. The letters to Troy do you address later? Go ahead one? No, I have nothing to ask. Oh.
Speaker 8: I started looking her up too. We'll see what happens. She she did what idea did? She won the wn I t oh, so she has that experience coming in and uh, we'll see. We'll see if players like Montea stay the only player to stay, or if it's gonna be entirely a new roster, it'll be interesting.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm sure in today's world that she has players over there.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say, who's over there, come along with her? We have them on the next side. Yeah, so we'll see.
Speaker 2: Well then, and here's the thing, and you'll see there's always you know, you say blue, someone say bread, you say someone to say blue. Uh, she didn't win enough at where she's at. It's a it's a step up program. And blah blah blah. And well, Ada was never a head coach, right, she was never head coach. She did Okay, give people a chance, we'll see what happens. And again they did all these great things. But at the end of the day, it takes one great player to change your home time program. And it did and with some some with some pretty complimentary uh.
Speaker 4: People for sure. Yeah sure, but Elliott teams men's basketball. Yeah a McDonald changed women's basketball. All you need is that one short a program. Yeah, it'll be interesting.
Speaker 8: I feel like this is somewhat similar to the Jetfish hire, a little bit of an outside connection. There's some success and experience there, and it took him three years to get to an alimable and three years to get to ten wins.
Speaker 4: Sure see, we'll see what happens. I'm open to it.
Speaker 2: Okay, cool, Let's take a break, get back and talk to Kelvin Epon.
Speaker 5: Are you ready?
Speaker 9: Ready to discover your soul, your wild side, your passion, your joy and excitement. From the latest slots and table games, to award winning dining, to world class entertainment to a luxurious resort.
Speaker 4: Discover all this and more.
Speaker 9: Discover with Soul Casino Dell Soul, the Soul of Tucson.
Speaker 4: Are you ready Enterprise of Fasco.
Speaker 10: Yaki Try The Window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchener, bathroom of your dreams. Browsey aisles of instock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations, and instantly elevate your space.
Speaker 4: Today.
Speaker 10: Visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for money to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece.
Speaker 4: We can help you select the perfect.
Speaker 10: Wood, type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your look. Find a location near you at the Window Deepot dot Com. The Window depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato Rock Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work. I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. We'll call at five two zero four zero zero for two three three.
Speaker 11: Let's start twenty twenty five off with a bang by honoring those who to bang up job for you. In twenty twenty four, recognize your employees, salespeople, managers and agents with the Creative Award from Creative Awards. It's time to restock your promotional products and convention giveaway items, and Creative Awards has over five hundred thousand products to choose from. Don't forget your corporate apparel for a great sharp look. In twenty twenty five, visit the Creative Awards Idea Center at two twenty eight West Drackman, or visit them online at Creative Awards az dot com.
Speaker 12: At Nova home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltpeteam dot com, that's Volpe team dot com or call five two oh six one eight five six two six today n MLS three oh eight seven, arizon A BK nine two nine or two Equal housing opportunity. Got to commitment to lyndrixon credit rates and available loan programs or subject to change.
Speaker 4: Don't notice?
Speaker 7: Did you know?
Speaker 13: Collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking at chart or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination. As one of the leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best in sports cards and trading card games from rare fines to the latest releases.
Speaker 4: Showtime Cards has it All. Check them out at Showtimecards.
Speaker 13: Dot Com or visit them on East Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere trush Showtime Cards for their passion.
Speaker 11: Richard bacall Law Office, defending Arizonas for over thirty years and a Wildcat fan for over sixty. If you need an experienced criminal defense attorney, call Richard McCall five to two oh seven to four to Zho twelve thirteen, broud sponsor of I on the Ball.
Speaker 7: Go cats, got bugs, termites, fees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialists. Tests can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the envire. What Arizona pusse Control get rid of your bad bugs, termites, beings or rodents serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azpest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 4: WI Mining so important.
Speaker 14: It's the foundation of everything that defines the society.
Speaker 5: Everything you see is a product.
Speaker 14: Of mine, no matter when, no matter how, no matter why. Every society on this planet has developed, grown and modernized based solely on the minerals in process. That's why MINNA is so important.
Speaker 4: Go to betybm dot com.
Speaker 10: If you're feeling overwhelmed by the thought of a home remodel, don't stress. The Window Depot is.
Speaker 4: Here to help.
Speaker 10: At the Window Depot, we're your one softwarehouse for everything you need for your next remodel. Windows, check doors, got it, cabinets, countertops, and everything in between. You'll find it all here at the lowest prices. Whether it's a kitchen, bathroom, or whole home makeover experience, designers are ready to bring your dream home to life, all at unbeatable prices. Find a location near you. Our shop online at the windowdeboat dot com. The Window Depot more than a Windows store.
Speaker 1: Streaming live on the iHeartRadio WIB This is I on the Ball with Steve Ravera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to mine about here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera. In Today is Troy Hutchinson.
Speaker 4: I on the phone.
Speaker 2: We have Kelvin Ethon, former U of a football basketball player now with twelve ninety.
Speaker 4: How you doing, Kevin?
Speaker 6: I'm doing good.
Speaker 15: I'm doing good.
Speaker 6: How you guys are doing today?
Speaker 4: We're doing fine.
Speaker 2: Can you talk real quick about the big news Tommy Lloyd getting a big fish coming in?
Speaker 6: Oh man, that is a huge git, you know right now, When you got guys in in the portal and everything, people get a little, you know, scared which way the program is going to go. And you know, I think with a guy like Tommy, he's showing you that him and his coaching staff, I can go and grab the high school guys as well, go into the portal and find another cave of love or even better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, who you got here in ninety four? Right, yes, sir, ninety four? Who was your class? Give me your class?
Speaker 16: Oh?
Speaker 6: Oh man, I had a great class man the champions Miles Simon, Danelle, Harris Davis, and Michael Dickerson. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So that was a group at that time. I know you're a young man and you're thinking, look at us, we're going to be great. Did you think you were going to be great with that class? Because it turned out to be Okay.
Speaker 15: Yeah I did. We went to the Sweet sixteen and lost to Kansas, and every day that year.
Speaker 6: The practices versus Reggie Gary, Ben Davis, Cory Williams, Joe McLean. I mean, it was just some wars, Joseph Blair. It was just some wars against those guys every day, and it just seemed like it was something special about that group. I hated. That was the first year I had went to football and I had had some success, so it was hard for me to go back. But nah, man, I knew that team was specially and you know we we ended up seeing that. Well.
Speaker 2: The funny thing about it, I've said this and believe in this that when they lost to Kansas and they played really well in that ninety six game, food poisoning for Joe McLean or whatever, that that helped them beat Kansas the year later because they knew they could hang with them.
Speaker 6: Oh you know, I actually got a little burned a little playing time in that game. I always get mad. I always tell Corey wiis Man, you got me out the game because I got a shot made against me because he didn't help me on one of the on one of the screens. But but no, man, no, it really made us believe. Man, I knew it made those guys believe because that was the Paul Pierce team and uh race la French Don bun So. So so the next year wasn't so intimidating, right when when when you see those.
Speaker 2: Guys, right, no, exactly Now that bringing that up because Arizona's got a great class coming in. So now everybody's thinking, you know how Tucson is. They fall in love with these guys coming in and there's a lot of hope, right, but it seems like nowadays we live in this You got one chance, baby, you better make good.
Speaker 15: Oh yeah, nah, you got one good chance. I mean with some of these names that's coming here here.
Speaker 6: You know those guys are only gonna be here for one year.
Speaker 15: You may get too. I mean right now we're still trying to figure out is Carter Brian.
Speaker 6: Gonna come back? So you know that's a huge one that you know, it hasn't really I haven't heard anything about it yet. So yeah, man, you have to go for it and try to win the championship every year, which is what it should be, right, every year you should go into the season trying to win a championship. If you at the high level, top twenty five type program, top top fifty, and then everybody else should be trying to get to.
Speaker 15: The NCAA tournament.
Speaker 6: So hey, this is the way it should be.
Speaker 4: When you look at the guy and you kind of said the Carter Bryan, watch what he did this year and how he was able to develop into the tournament. It's got to make you wonder what could he do in year two? But also that NBA drafts calling. I mean, just your thoughts of Carter and his overall first season and what he was able to showcases here.
Speaker 6: You know what, I think a coach's job, and you know, in a basketball program, job is to help a goud get to whatever their next level is. And I think Arizona did their job and coach Lloyd did his job for him. I mean, if he comes back, man, I can't believe it. I mean, because to me, the type of talent that he is a lot of times.
Speaker 15: Is better for them to go ahead.
Speaker 6: And get the rest of their training, you know, from the NBA, so he can go ahead and get his career started, right. But hey, if he comes back, I would be one proud wildcat, you know, seeing him on court. But I just think the talent that he has and all.
Speaker 15: The things that I've seen that he possesses with his defensive flexibility, his ability to hit.
Speaker 6: The three ball from every point on the floor, and I think he could put the ball on the floor as well. I just think that against some of the college guards who were a little shorter and a little feistier.
Speaker 15: I think, and with his own defenses, I think it was.
Speaker 6: A little tough. But I think with the space and in the NBA, I think he'll be even a better bar handler.
Speaker 2: So so we listened to you, obviously in the post game and the pregame stuff, and I'm gonna ask you a serious question. You may sound stupid, but it's a serious question. So you played here, you know, football more known for football than basketball.
Speaker 4: I would what are you?
Speaker 2: Are you a realistic fan observer or a fan fan.
Speaker 15: I think I'm more of a realistic fan. I'm a realistic because I'm a fan for sure.
Speaker 6: I'm I'm a man. I can't help you. I'm a fan, but I'm just realistic about what I see and what what you know and what I think. Uh, you know, I'm a I'm a former player, so I'm kind of players coach, you know. I lean more toward the players, so you know, at the end of the day, I think it's our job to help them advance as far as moving on to their NBA dreams or whatever corporation or job that they want to have one day. That's our job at a higher learning institution is to advance them on. So hey, some people this one year they go into be a computer uh you know, working at IBM or something, and some people it takes ten years. So hey, whatever it is and whatever it takes, I think that's our job to help them get there.
Speaker 2: Yeah no, And I say that because to me, you're realistic. You're not You're not a raw, raw guy, especially when you talk about the team in the post game, because if they lose, they lose, and you say.
Speaker 6: That yeah yeah, yeah, yeah no. I now now I have to keep it one, you know, real with myself first of all, and second just with the fans. I mean, I go on what I see. If it's a game that we should win, I say, hey, we should have won that game. We underperformed, you know, you know, we should have some better you know, you know, better play calls or whatever. The guys could have played better. But but but.
Speaker 15: But sometimes you play against people.
Speaker 6: That you if you win that game, you did a great job. And if you lose, you know what, if you had a great fight, you got something to grow from.
Speaker 4: Yeah. You know, as somebody that has has played for not only dig Tomy, but Ludelson as well, in those legendary coaches, you've seen their growth and development as a coach and as a program. As you look at Tommy Lloyd the last four years and the end of this season, where have you seen the most growth out of coach Lloyd from when he first stop put on campus to this past season.
Speaker 15: So I always gave him credit when he first came in how he gave.
Speaker 6: The team directly to the Ben Matherins in the tarries of the world. He didn't come right in and try to put his own stamp on the team. He let those guys lead that team. And you know, actually I give him more credit because I see him just it seems like he's grabbing these guys and really making them family and loving on these guys. The Caleb loves the kJ Lewis is, you know, And I just look up and down that roster. I just think he does a great job and you know, helping mold these guys into you know, good young men and good basketball players really and let them, you know, learn from their mistakes. Right. You see a lot of him and he say, hey, they got to figure it out right on the court. And sometimes I'll be like, man, no, run a play. But when I think about it, you know, and like, you got to figure it out. People are not going to always have a play for you and be able to point you in the right direction or what whatnot. So you know, I think they're learning a lot of great life lessons, you know, having a coach like him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no question. Let's move on to football. Do you think, well, what do you think is gonna happen now? You know, have you been to spring practice one? I guess in a week we're gonna have the spring Spring festivities or whatever spring showcase Spring showcase? Does Is he under pressure? I know that's a tough question to ask ask, do you think so?
Speaker 6: I mean, I don't know how I mean, like I said, these times of you know, uh microwave, uh, you know, Michael waves success is you know, it's funny to me because you know, usually you.
Speaker 15: Give four years for a guy to have his class, to get.
Speaker 6: To be seenor is, to see what he really got and to see which way the program is going. And after one year we already saying, give rid of the offensive coordinator, get rid of this guy up. I'm like, what is going on, Like who's actually.
Speaker 15: Running you know the programs you know in this country. But I just no, I think you.
Speaker 6: Have to give him some time to get his own guys. And I and I said it before, I think he would have had a team that will went to a ball game, maybe not won nine games, but could.
Speaker 15: Have easily won seven or eight games.
Speaker 6: If the running back would have been eligible. I mean, we saw what he was able to do at the uh the you know, in the All Star Games and at the Combines and whatnot. And there's a chance he may even get drafted. So if we would have.
Speaker 15: Had that kid in the backfield, you know, that would have could have should have. I think it would have been a different season.
Speaker 6: Because of the pressure that he would have took off the quarterback in tam Mac. But with all the being said, I think going into his second year, he's gonna actually have guys that want to play for him and.
Speaker 15: Not be like you know, my coach was was fished, right, because if coach Tommy was a left after we went to the Insight dot com bo and we would have got a new coach and we couldn't have transferred, or most of us would have transferred with him. Possibly it would have been a tough period.
Speaker 6: It would have never been to twelve and.
Speaker 15: One season, right, So I just think you have to give.
Speaker 6: A coach a chance to get his own guys to go to war with.
Speaker 4: You know, I agree with that he kind of started behind the eight ball. He had Raymond Palito decided, you know, football was not going to be his future right before the season. They were relying on him. You have the running back situation, so he kind of started behind the eight ball on the offensive side of the football, and then injuries piled up. But Calvin, again, have you been out there to spring and if so, what is your take in terms of that atmosphere with the new coaches on the staff and having Joe Salavea back on the sideline.
Speaker 6: You know, I haven't been out there because you know, when me having such an inside view of the program and these are my guys. I tried to get them a little time to get it together, and I want to go through the show case and get a chance to see the guys in that setting, right, because I don't like going to judge guys and sharks and you know, and just shaking horns and smiling with everybody. You know, I'm serious about this program getting back on his feet and winning. So I'm trying to get the jobs these guys, get some work, get these guys a chance to get some work in so when I go up there, I can really see something and have something to report on.
Speaker 2: So you came here in ninety four specifically mostly to play basketball for LOOT, right, but you ended up playing football. Has the perception of the program changed of thirty one years ago? Because what was the program back then in your mind and what is it now?
Speaker 6: Well, one of the reasons why I came to Arizona because it was one of the places that had, you know, the Desert Swarm. Football had just went to the Fiesta Bowl and the basketball team had just went to the Final four.
Speaker 15: So it was the opportunity to go.
Speaker 6: To a place where I had a chance to play with other good players and have an opportunity to win. So you know, coming into Arizona it was you know, it was huge. I mean because again Brandon.
Speaker 15: Sanders, Teddy Buski, those guys.
Speaker 6: Is walking the hallway. So you can see that there are success that you can have on that team. And we all know already what the basketball team and coach Hosen presented, but you know, again getting a chance to go out there and you know, and play football back then and having a chance to be a part of the twelve and one, you know, best team in the school history by my accounts, but you know, best.
Speaker 15: Team in school history. I feel like that it.
Speaker 4: Could be done.
Speaker 6: I know it could be done here. And even with the new nil and all the changes and everything like that, you saw the success of the Asus, which I hate to say, but I credit people who do great. If you had a great season, it is what it is. But it could happen. And all you have to do is get the right guys together with the right attitude and as coach Tomy said.
Speaker 15: Love on those Jim and Joe's.
Speaker 6: Right and great things can happen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no question. So Calvin, as a little kind of fun question here, I saw your former teammate Brandon Sanders is going to be running the Boston Marathon. As a former running back, would you be able to outrun Brandon Sanders in a marathon today?
Speaker 15: Oh? Man, Now he's been training. I'm real he's been training for his marit.
Speaker 6: Now before before this marathon.
Speaker 15: No, man, I does Brandon, I sus whatever. But Brandon has been doing an amazing time.
Speaker 6: He's totally locked in to helping Teddy Bruski with that. So I think right now, man, in long distance, he'll get me. So I hate to sin I'm a guy that like to win, but I'm a realist at the same time, and long distance he'll get me. But I still think I'll get him in a farty.
Speaker 4: And then with coach Brennan, you've been around this past season and like you said, you want to go to the showcase and give them their space. But do you see a lot of similarities between coach Brennan and Dick Tomy in terms of coaching solemn personalities?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think he can't help that. I mean he was he was on the staff and then he worked for him at Santos Stayed and you know, I'm pretty sure put in a great word for him. To get the job that Santose stayed and uh uh So to me, it'd be hard pressed for him not to have similarities with with with coach Tomy. Uh. You know again as far as.
Speaker 15: You know, following that track work.
Speaker 6: With the UCLA coach Tomy, you know, coach that U c l A back in the day, the defensive backs and whatnot. So I just think that, Yeah, I mean, I think you should expect that. But he also has several other coaches that he was around and worked around and everything that I see seeing him as well. So you know, I like him that he's again a player's coach. I think in this day and age, the players need guys that you know, love on him and care about him, but also that's willing to get on him as well. And I see him as that type of guy. Uh. You know that's gonna be.
Speaker 15: You know, great for the program.
Speaker 6: That letting the other coaches do their job number one, but number two, you know, loving on those guys.
Speaker 4: So I asked you this already.
Speaker 2: Uh recently, Kelvin, you you came on the scene, you had some great players in front of you, the Damon's and the Kolids and and those guys. Uh, the differensons of the miles.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: Was there a chance for you to transfer? And in today's world of transfer, you.
Speaker 4: Know, you know I'm gonna leave. I'm not happy. Would you have done it?
Speaker 6: You know, it wouldn't have been about a really necessarily not happy. I mean, it just would have been about a playing time thing and and and you want to play and you want to make a difference, you know, on the team getting to a h n C you know, making an n C double, a tournament birth. I probably would have transferred to TCU with uh where I think it was Tubby Uh coach Tubbs Uh heah came from Oklahoma. Or you have recruited me real tough, you know, and uh, you know kind of you know, let's just say recruitment word got back to me while I was up because like for of my AAU teammates played for TCU at that time, so you know, they were trying to really get get me to go back over there. And it would have been back home, like forty five minutes away from where I grew up in Dallas, So it.
Speaker 15: Would have been a good chance TCU would have been able to get me because you know, what was I had.
Speaker 6: Think about it? It was David Stardomar. The next year they brought it in Jason Terry, And.
Speaker 15: The next year they brought it in Mike be me.
Speaker 6: So you know, probably wouldn't. I don't think they would have missed me too much.
Speaker 2: Well, well, here's the thing is, I think there was a higher power than Tubby or Tubbs that said you can't go.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, no. My grandmother wasn't having it. My grandmother was like, you know, Kevin, all your life, you know, you follow through with everything you've ever done. She you know, and she was just like, don't.
Speaker 15: Turn and run now. I was like, oh my goodness. You know when she said that, I knew I was stuck. I knew I was.
Speaker 6: Stuck because I was. I was not going to disappoint my grandmother in no.
Speaker 2: Way, right right right, No, Kelvin, thanks a bunch. Appreciate you coming on.
Speaker 6: Oh no problem, thank you, God bro.
Speaker 2: Killnan you Let's take a break, maybe take some calls on the other side, finished off, maybe talk a little bit more.
Speaker 4: They just been official. They sent the emails and stuff.
Speaker 2: So okay, if you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now take a look back at the Ludelsen era in my new book, Lessons from Loot. It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from Lut is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. Want one, email me at Steve dot rivera ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 17: Hey, Wildcat Nation, Jake Fisher here, I gotta tell you about my winning team. Over at Arizona Health Insiders. I was able to get a custom private health insurance plan with no deductibles, no co pays, nationwide coverage, and I get to pick my own doctor for a lesson two hundred dollars a month. If you want to avoid getting gouged on the exchange and you want real health insurance called Arizona Health Insiders four A do oh three five five one four four four four A doho three five five one four.
Speaker 4: Four four what's your goal?
Speaker 11: A new career or career advancement.
Speaker 4: How about transferring to a four year college.
Speaker 11: PEMA Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial laid available, it's time to earn the degree or certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at Pima dot edu.
Speaker 4: Slash Someday, Hey.
Speaker 2: Tucson, Steve rivera heir, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Markets All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, they've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to say call them today and score big on your insurance. With the Edmond Markets All State Agency, You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen North Campbell or call them at five two zero three two three three three where do you buy exercise equipment Arizona.
Speaker 18: Health Arizona Health Arizona Health. Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the leading edge and exercise equipment On twenty second, just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 19: Craving, Tucson's Best Burger, the Fourth Avenue legend is back. Lindy's on Fourth is celebrating twenty years, and Lindy himself is back behind the grill. We've got new mouthwatering burgers and great daily drink specials. Don't miss our upcoming twentieth anniversary, Summer Bash and year end celebration, So come down to Lindy's on Fourth or order online at l fourth dot com. Lindy and Tucson's Best Burger are waiting.
Speaker 16: At Pyramid Federal Credit Union. We believe less is more. Let's pieas mean more money in your pocket, Let's hassle means more time for what matters, and less stress means more confidence in your financial future. Pyramids Less is More philosophy is coming to your neighborhood with a new branch opening at the two sund Spectrum Pyramid Federal Credit Union, where Less is More federally insured by NCUA, an Equal Opportunity lender.
Speaker 1: Streaming live on the iHeartRadio WIP. This is Eye on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to in the ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Riverta, Your Troy Hutchison. Got one with us, We got ready with us. Got this our actual of the week.
Speaker 4: Guys.
Speaker 2: By the way, I'm out of town for the next two days covering an event in my other job.
Speaker 4: So loves to get to Burke.
Speaker 2: I guess uh that's we'll see what what happens with it.
Speaker 4: Higher. Yeah, you know, UH looks like a coach that does sound inspired players. You saw the video for celebrating uh the w n I t win and has done it everywhere she's gone USC upstate. They started eight wins next year, twenty two wins here. The previous stop with Buffalo, I think twelve wins was the mark and then in two years to get the thirty wins. So there's a pattern of growth everywhere she's been. So nobody asks Booth you call you guys, mister. I'll let that laugh.
Speaker 2: There was that do you do you think Arizona fans? And I love them because they buy my books and I love them and they're listening to this show.
Speaker 4: Let me say this first, as.
Speaker 2: I hate to bother you, but do Arizona fans? I asked Kevin, This is he realistic? He's Arizona men's basketball fans, realistic men's basketball fans. Just give me a yes or no for now? Yes, the realistic?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Okay, no, no, I'm not gonna I'll say yes. I'll elaborate in the middle. Okay, s no.
Speaker 8: No, because at this point Tommy Lloyds would have been fired three times already.
Speaker 4: Okay, so go ahead, and you're you're the rookie in the group.
Speaker 20: Yeah, i'd say, I'd say if they've been here for a while, they are like locals are, but like people that like probably are new to the program and like new to the fandom, aren't as much.
Speaker 2: Because they're they overinplate their their ability that they overreplate.
Speaker 3: It, Uh yeah, kind of like they just expect more, kind of like how we talked about going into the tournament, like a lot of a lot of like, man, how do I put this? Like six we were talking about it kind of when we were off or when we're off the air that like sweet sixteen is like it's like somewhat of the standard kind of but like we expect more usually, but like that's like a decent like resting place for the season, I think.
Speaker 2: For Okay, So no quickly, but ask the women's program. Do they think highly of themselves?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 8: They What was the question was? Yes, yes? Are they realistic? They realistic?
Speaker 4: No, because I think they thought, God, I don't want to poop poo the program, but they thought, hey, we're fine. This is if we keep it the way it is, we will be fine. We will get out of this. You were I think they were overly optimistic, okay, and.
Speaker 8: It's a perfect word, overly optimistic for women's basketball over the last few years or yeah, yeah, and yeah, I'll say over the last few years, because I don't think anyone who airs on a basket women's basketball before Yeah.
Speaker 4: True, Like when they lost to North Carolina here in tusonwhere the target hells just blew them out in that second round game, and we're just like, that's okay. They'll be back next year, will they? They never got back, They never hosted again, and the program's standards kept on going down and down and down, and it was we already got to the title, she'll get us back? Yeah, here you are? Yeah, okay, no back to the men's Yeah. So why I say yes in terms of I think if you look on social media, the answer is no. I don't think you should follow social media. But there's a lot of fans in this fan base that believe Tommy's doing a good job. The developing is right. Do they want to get to a higher level and expect them to eventually? Yes, But they're all the thought processes. If you're going to fire someone, which again they're not going to fire tom who are you going to get there?
Speaker 2: Well, we heard that after Sean got fired, Right, who are they going to get Why would they do that?
Speaker 4: Who's going to be better? There's always something better.
Speaker 2: Once you guys married, get married and divorced, you'll find that there's always somebody else.
Speaker 4: You had to go there. Juan against Steve Rivera, Yeah, loves buy the book.
Speaker 8: We're going back to the women's basketball fans, are they no? No, no Mence men's Oh you said no no, because because well I do agree. If you look at Twitter X whatever you want to call it, there's there's fans that have tried to fire Tommy Lloyd for the last three years. Uh, and they believe the programs underperforming. I think they're done fine, and I think fans outside of social media think that as well. But they want more and they expect more when realistically they should it.
Speaker 2: Okay, y are didn't ask you on the women's side, is that right? Women's Are you you're kind of a tune with the women.
Speaker 3: A little bit like more last semester than then towards the end of it. I'd say, I'd say they're a bit more realistic with the women. Like I have these my other job. I have these regulars that come in and they would go to like every women's game, and you know, they were they were super cool about it, but they they were never like two down if they lost, you found two Yeah, but yeah, I'd say, yeah, I'd just say that they were more realistic.
Speaker 4: I think, yeah, I felt almost like we're happy to be here. Kind of a fan base for women. Yeah, where this is exciting. This is now or before before now, We don't know if you know, with the new coach, but or you know, this is all kind of first and we're going through the.
Speaker 2: Just well here here, lucky, it's like it's it's like, you know, I'm sure this was just this is a dumb analogy. Seventeen seventy six, seventeen eighty one. We're the best country in the world. We're the best country in the world, right five years into our living conditions. Arizona has been alive for what five years?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: Pretty much? Right nineteen? I think they won the w nineteen nineteen. Okay, so let's give them seven years. So they win that, they rise to that and you win that and whatever that's worth. COVID not doesn't count. You go to the finals and then title game, title game, which is in all fairness good obviously. But then here regard the decline. So you've lived for five six, seven years. How is that a real gauge of who you are?
Speaker 4: Well, okay, so real gauge of who they who they are? And I'm again Nyabuds was in charge of a program for a lot of time. It was at the bottle and it was horrible. It was not the bottle, and nobody really fussed about it. Right, I don't see anybody. There was a no care factor. There was about what eight hundred fans in the game. You could hear a pen drop. Nobody cared. I wonder who they were. I'm sure they're still around, yeah, probably. I want if anybody listening, we got about Timmans.
Speaker 2: If you're listening and you happen to go to those games before idea.
Speaker 4: Joe Monneseni Niabads, any of those m and Joan was very successful, very much.
Speaker 2: We had her on the show yesterday. She gave us some insight on what was going on and the program was pretty good.
Speaker 4: Honestly, it kind of felt like and you could see the relation in terms of men's basketball, what Joan Bonnasini did was similar in terms of what Fretz Node did. Build a foundation. Hey, you can get it done here at Arizona. You can make the tournament, get to a sweet sixteen I think she got at her time. And then you have somebody like Niabuts come in men's basketball, have the same issue and completely destroy the program, and then idea comes along, loodles and comes along, rebuilds it gets it to new whites. And you thought it was going to start something. You thought it was going to be that lootles and trend. It wasn't. But now there's there's still that path, there's.
Speaker 2: Still that yeah, that fans have to buy and be be part of the program, you know, part of the solution.
Speaker 4: She's what thirty five he said, thirty five? Thirty five.
Speaker 2: I'm sure she has that personality or maybe possibly personality. She'll have to continue that that love affair with the fans.
Speaker 4: Got Yeah, you've got it. Oh, nowadays you got to do it all the time. You can't be I don't know.
Speaker 2: Bobby Danny Hurley is that guy for his group, but he's wins, so he doesn't win.
Speaker 4: Is tom is there that guy? No, but no he wins.
Speaker 2: No, you know he's crowning. No, No, Tommy is a little. Tommy is a little. But he's also criticizing the group. But it's in all fairness. I defend Tommy because he's right, he's accurate. Yeah, we got we got to call Hello, you're on the aaron I and the Ball.
Speaker 21: Who's this Hi, Steve, this is done. Hey, I just wanted to say on the men's program, I don't think that the fans, the fandom is realistic. The last couple of times that I've gone on to games, the that that middle mezzanine or the little walkway between the sections there always full. You see people they're they're like they're getting in their steps. They're not even watching the game. They're not they're not in their seats.
Speaker 15: I had.
Speaker 21: It's I had seats that were on that road, those those extra seats that they they put there, and you're basically sitting in the walkway and you can't see the game because there's people walking back and forth and it's the same people. It's like they never sit down, like they're at the street fair. I didn't know that.
Speaker 4: I never knew that the Games of mckielay was the same issue.
Speaker 21: Too, and that the women's game. It's like when Dave was in the in studio with you last week and we were talking about the old days. The women's game, it's more joyous.
Speaker 15: The game is the event.
Speaker 21: It's not it's the event is not going to the game. The event is the game.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 21: And while and while Adiya had her wins and loss issues. She always her teams always they played hard, they played with they played with ghanas they played they played pretty hard.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 21: Man, a lot of times they're shorthanded. And the thing is is with the heights that she got, with the getting to the championship games. One thing we have to be honest. The talent base in women's basketball is so much smaller than what it is in the men's game. So you have the halves, the blue bloods that have been blue bloods for a long long time, and there's nobody else coming up. You know, Baylor faded in the women's On the women's side, LSU is always right like right there knocking on the door. But you got the connecticuts and well you had you had Stanford until Vanderveer retired and where did that go? And where did that go? That went away really fast. But hopefully there's a base where the new coach here can can pick up, you know, and and her being a young person, hopefully people will see her. I haven't seen any video or anything of her. I just saw her picture just now on line, and you know, hopefully, you know, if she shows some enthusiasm I think she'll be able to pick up the fan base from where they are, and you know, and hopefully she gets the players and and and she's able to make it work at Arizona, where whereas Idea had her her issues apparently I don't know what they are, what they were, you know, but good luck to her, and and I thanked her for her efforts in building the program up. From like you guys were just saying, from nothingn.
Speaker 4: Anything, your thoughts on what you said, I think the talent of women's basketball compared to let's say, fifteen twenty years ago, is in a so much better place than it was. The talent pool is wider. You're not seeing just these monsters seams. And again, yes, Yukon North Carolina. No, not North Carolina, Yukon South Carolina. They're loaded. They one and I whatever, I get it. But USC has come up. UCLA has been very good, Arizona, LSU, TCU, Louisville. So there's there's a lot of good programs out there, the talents out there. And in case of you know, not getting the talent, I did had top five classes. They just all transferred out and succeeded somewhere else. So the talent wasn't an issue at Arizona.
Speaker 2: No, well, the talent that came then left. They had great careers other places.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Colorado. Yeah, aaron I finally had success there. You TCU with Madison Connor had success.
Speaker 2: Said that she was making quarter million dollars. I don't know about that. Joanes said that.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Joe said that. I'm thinking, Holy Cray, I wish it would have been a female.
Speaker 4: College for for uh, for Madison honor. Yeah, I don't see that. I don't know. I'm not going to question her. We'll see now. Uh, what's what's her name? The former louisvo player that lay at tc this year the Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah live Yeah, I can see that. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, well there's money, there's players. We'll see what happens here. Thanks, guys, are we done?
Speaker 4: We're good? And are we close to it?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 2: Okay? No, no, thanks guys. Thanks to Troy for coming in. No show tomorrow, Thank you on We'll see you monday, you guys, both you guys, uh, and talk more about what's going on with the state of the well football. Football is going to be over next weekend, right, yep, they'll have something on Saturday.
Speaker 4: They have a scrimmage Saturday night at seven pm that switched from eleven AM to some because you know, you know, and that and that's what that's what they're gonna do in this showcase that they're going to have eleven on eleven periods, but most of it's just gonna be regular practice. Okay, thanks guys,