Speaker 1: Deep in the peaceful town of Liska, Iowa, lies a weathered old house at the end of a tranquil street. The surrounding areas boasts a collection of churches, while the nearby park gazes upon the local middle school. Although this house blends in with the others in the neighborhood, a peculiar silence envelops it. The once vibrant structure now stands securely sealed as a small sign bearing the words Bliska Axe Murder House stands as a solemn reminder of the chilling events that once unfolded within its walls.
Speaker 2: My name's Ben and I'm Nicole, and you're listening to Wicked.
Speaker 1: And Grim, a true crime podcast.
Speaker 2: Warning the following podcasts and material more your audience listener discretion.
Speaker 1: Can you hear the train off in the distance?
Speaker 2: I sure can.
Speaker 1: I don't know if it's coming through in the audio, but there's this train just going off in the distance.
Speaker 2: It was for your intro, and I was like, I hope they can hear it. That's kind of cool, but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it was annoying. I'm trying to record the intro. But yeah, So there's this theory in the area where we live. When you can hear the train really clearly, it means.
Speaker 2: It's going to rain rain soon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, because the theory is that the sound bounces off the clouds and like you can hear it a little bit easier. So if it's clear skies, the sound just kind of dissipates.
Speaker 2: Okay, we can hear well. So I'm wondering, are we going to get rain?
Speaker 1: There's a chance hopefully we might get rain. We need rain, we do living in British Columbia. Our province is on fire and Nicole even mentioned a tragic story of a nineteen year old wildfire fighter who tragically lost their lives. So our condolence is to their family for that that's just recently.
Speaker 2: That it's a dangerous job and oh that must just be. That's devastating.
Speaker 1: It is, and it seems like every year our province is just getting worse and worse with how the fires are even other provinces like over in Alberta. It's terrible. So if it rains tonight, it's a god sin.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah. So we did get some rain yesterday, right and overnight I think a little bit.
Speaker 1: We did, which is good, but it also came with thunder and lightning.
Speaker 2: Yes, which is not good.
Speaker 1: No. What is good though, apparently for us, is we got chickens.
Speaker 2: We got chickens.
Speaker 1: So look forward on our social media to seeing some chicken posts because we have chickens.
Speaker 2: Oh I should actually we should post that on our Instagram. Hey, in our Facebook, we should. I got a photo. Yeah, we have six chickens.
Speaker 1: Now living in a tiny home, just rocking with six chickens and two huskies and a black cat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's their life, living our best life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, with a true crime podcast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't complain. Pretty good actually, but.
Speaker 1: Ye are obsessed with the chickens.
Speaker 2: Oh, I am Ben has very much so been like, don't get attached.
Speaker 1: They're not pets, they are farm animals.
Speaker 2: But oh man, it's hard.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I would say five out of the six I'm not attached to, or actually came maybe four out of the six. It's in between that there is one that I am attached to.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: We the three of them were born on May fourth.
Speaker 1: Yep, so we star Wars.
Speaker 2: We have named them star Wars names. And there's this one little one named Lea, and she's a feisty little thing and she's the only one that really lets me pick her up, so I'm just smitten.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And the other two Star Wars names Boca ten oh yeah and Ahsoka.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So those are the three Star Wars chickens. We can still not tell two of the other ones apart, so they don't have names yet, not until we can identify them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I still think they'll probably be Thing one and Thing two.
Speaker 1: Probably we've been calling him that. There's blue Thing one and Thing two.
Speaker 2: Sorry, don't get attached to the chickens. Except they all have names.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can name them.
Speaker 2: Good gosh.
Speaker 1: I wanted to name them soup stock, but you wouldn't let me. Anyways, we got a very interesting case coming today, we sure do. So. This is one that has been requested time and time again. So here we are. This is the story of the Veliska Axe murders. You ready for this one?
Speaker 2: I am. Let's do her.
Speaker 1: Okay, So today's story begins with a loving family. It starts with Josiah B. Moore, who was forty three and his wife, Sarah, who was thirty nine. The two of them were devoted parents in a vibrant and loving family. Okay, so their family was of course known as the Moors. So together they had four children. They had Herman Montgomery, who was the oldest at eleven years old, Mary Catherine who was ten, Arthur Boyd who was seven, and Paul Vernon who was five. The Moors seemed to have absolutely everything right. They had a nice home that was filled with love and laughter, and they were held in high regards within their community. Neighbors and friends just kind of looked on and loved it. It was kind of hard not to love what you saw within this family and their home. Okay, I think to me, like the Moors were the kind of family that you like, you want to hate them, but you can't because they're, like, they're just too perfect. So you're envious of that. So you don't like hate them.
Speaker 2: But you like, oh you strive to kind of yeah, you know what I mean. Yeah, no, I get that. But it's also kind of I think a lot of people it's like the grass is greener on the other side or whatever, so maybe it's not so good.
Speaker 1: That's true. You never know, the grass is generally greener on the other side, so always keep that in mind. Not greener or sorry, not greener. Yeah, it not is it's not. So. This story takes place in the evening of June ninth in nineteen twelve. So little ten year old Mary Catherine Moore sent out a special invitation. She invited eight year old na May Stillinger and Lena Gertrude Stillinger, who is twelve years old. Okay, she invited them over to come over for a sleep over at their house. Nice, you know, a little get together thing.
Speaker 2: I kind of miss those sometimes.
Speaker 1: I mean like they were already friends. So it wasn't like exactly out of the blue or anything. Yeah, it was just kind of something that they were rolling with and you know, hey, come on over for sleepover. So they were ready for it. It was gonna be fun. They're gonna come over to the Moore's family residence and just have a great time with friends. Earlier in the evening, the More family, along with the visiting two girls, decided to attend the local Presbyterian church together, where they all actively participated in a children's day program. Now, this was an event that was carefully coordinated by Sarah Moore, the mother of the household. Okay, now, I kind of picture her as like a Martha Stewart type. I don't know, Like I don't mean that to be an insult. I mean more so like she's someone who like welcomes people into her home, like you know, there's always fresh baked cookies out, Like she's putting together these events for the kids at the local church. Just seems like this, like picturesque type mother figure.
Speaker 2: The house is probably always clean. Anyone could stop by it time. That was our It was our issue was like if you don't if we didn't know you were coming over, like, don't because our house is a mess.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So anyways, the program at the church finished up by nine to thirty pm, after which the More family, along with the two Stelling your sisters, took a walk back to their house. They strolled down the sidewalk back at the moor House, arriving somewhere between nine point fifteen and ten pm. So the evening was going great. The church event went well. All the children loved it. They were having fun playing and just doing their thing. Everything was just perfect. Perfect with the evening, perfect with the community. Was just perfect.
Speaker 2: I don't like when things are described as perfect.
Speaker 1: No, because what generally when something is perfect, it is that grass is greener. On the other side, it is not quite.
Speaker 2: So nothing's perfect.
Speaker 1: So in a grim twist of fate, however, this unassuming little white house held the seemingly perfect family inside. But it became the stage for a brutal act that would unfold this.
Speaker 2: Very summer night, Oh my goodness.
Speaker 1: Under the cover of darkness, and sometime shortly after midnight, an intruder broke into the Moor home and crept through the shadows of the unlit house as everyone slept within its walls. Josiah and Sarah Moore were upstairs in the bedroom sound asleep, while their four children were in the room just down the hallway. The two Stilling her sisters were in a guest bedroom on the first floor and were the closest to the intruder and would be the very first bedroom that they would be the intruder would be faced with. So this brings us to the following morning.
Speaker 2: Oh Lord and Kate, people were sleeping over too, right, the.
Speaker 1: Tw Stilling your sisters in the guest bedroom.
Speaker 2: Yesh okay, I hate when shit like that happened.
Speaker 1: So upstairs was the mother and father, down the hall was the kids, and then downstairs on the first floor was the guest bedroom with the two sisters who were.
Speaker 2: Staying over yep okay.
Speaker 1: So as the sun was rising into the sky in the neighborhood, the neighbor Mary Peckham, was up at about five am hanging laundry on her clothesline. By the time seven am rolled around, Mary began to grow a little concerned when she noticed that an uncharacteristic thing was occurring the neighbors the moors. Their house was still in quiet by now the family was typically awake and doing daily chores, and their unattended horses even were beginning to stir. So she decided to head over to the house and knock on the door, but there was no response. So Mary knew something wasn't right.
Speaker 2: So she probably got feeling too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely so what she didn't react in reaction. She called Josiah's brother Ross to come over to see what was going on. So it was about eight thirty am that Ross would arrive in using his key his own key for the home, he would unlock the front door and step inside. Ross made his way through the house and starting with the guest bedroom, he found the two stelling Youer sisters were brutally murdered in a horrific and gory and bloody scene. Proceeding through the house, they would find that every single person within the home was killed. Oh no, they were all laying lifeless in bed, their bodies brutally bludgeoned in the head beyond recognition. The murder weapon was an act.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm yep. So okay. The thing that really gets me is, so, say, like, you're having to go to someone's house because things are not normal, right yeah, And that moment when you're kind of going in, you probably are so hopeful, like oh, or making up things in your head like oh, I'm sure this is why this is happening. And you wouldn't really necessarily go to like the super dark place.
Speaker 1: Right yeah, because you're you're not in your comfort zone. So those little creeks of a house, those little groans and noises in the night. Usually you're familiar with your apartment, your house, or wherever you're sleeping, you know the noises. So if you're in a strange atmosphere, even if it's somewhere you've slept before, you don't know the noises yet. So that creek, you could think would be oh, that's just like the house settling or that might be just the cat walking down the hall.
Speaker 2: I more so meant like the brother though, having to enter the house.
Speaker 1: Oh I see, yeah, enter this.
Speaker 2: And kind of having this feeling of okay, like things are going to be okay, but in the back of your mind you're maybe wondering, and then coming upon a scene like this.
Speaker 1: No yeah that yeah, no no thanks yeah yeah. Well, when he did find the whole scene, and of course police were quickly notified and investigation did ensue, there was a lot of chilling facts about what went on with inside this house this night. One of the most chilling facts about it actually is they were able to surmise that regarding the secrets of murders within the more household, they found that the parents had fallen victim to the strange assault. First. Okay, so the parents their bedroom was upstairs, So what would have to happen Whoever it was who entered the home systematically killed each in every occupant. They made their way to the second floor, where Josiah and Sarah were sleeping and attacked them first.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean that kind of makes sense though, that you would want the adults gone first.
Speaker 1: So put it this way, how did they know, yes, where the parents were?
Speaker 2: I know, I was wondering that as well.
Speaker 1: There's a lot to this, not only that how did they make it there without being heard?
Speaker 2: But I also I was just going to say, like, I feel like kids they sleep heavier though often too do what you think?
Speaker 1: That's true?
Speaker 2: So maybe they maybe just honestly didn't hear.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is true. Well, as I mentioned, the murder weapon that was used in this case was of course an axe, as per the title says, and this axe was apparently swung at the sleeping victims with such intensity that at one point in mid swing, it struck the ceiling above the bed where the two slept as the weapon rained down on them, leaving a deep gouge in the ceiling behind.
Speaker 2: Oh whoa, that is a visual wow.
Speaker 1: So Josiah Moore had endured over thirty brutal strikes from the axe before the attacker was finished with him. Seriously, thirty whoa, and the target for each strike was the head.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: So regardless of the amount of strikes, each and every victim in the home would be left completely unrecognizable because it was the target of their head. Their face was basically left to be a mashed void of just carnage left behind from the attack.
Speaker 2: Wow, yeah, holy that Okay, first of all, like an axe is such such a weapon like of choice, Like that's just unbelievable to me that that's what someone chooses. And then to literally go down like because I've chopped wood before, right, it's freaking hard. I couldn't imagine like, yeah, doing that thirty times to someone. Well, it almost seems like that's an overkilling that they have, like a hatred towards this person.
Speaker 1: It's there's something else there. I don't know if it's hatred towards that person, but a hatred or taking out of something, because I mean, you can have some anger towards someone else that you could be taking out or something else.
Speaker 2: I think it could be that you could be thinking that's almost a representation of like your parents or something, and then taking it out potentially. Right.
Speaker 1: So, after the attack, though was finished on the parents, they then backtracked through the house with almost an unearthly familiarity through the home because they knew where the parents were, and then went to the children next, and then they visited the stilling her sisters. So another little eerie and bone chilling piece of this puzzle what the investigators were able to determine that each victim was found to be killed in their sleep. They were all sleeping when killed, including both the parents.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, yes, how does that work?
Speaker 1: Hey, no idea, but that axe rained down one by one on each person. No one woke up, So there is except for one.
Speaker 2: No screams or anything.
Speaker 1: Correct. So the last room that he would have entered, or they would have entered. My apologies contain the stilling your sisters. Lena Stillinger, who was twelve years old, was found to have a potential defensive womb on her arm that was laid in a way that suggested that she would have potentially been trying to protect herself from the bloodied axe that was being swung down on her as she laid in bed.
Speaker 2: Wow, so it.
Speaker 1: Was her left arm that had a laceration on the forearm area, though it.
Speaker 2: Was like covering her face.
Speaker 1: Correct, And it was laying in a way that suggests that she may have been trying to defend herself. Such how she would have gained the.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, it sure takes a freakin complete monster to I mean, it's terrible killing anyone, But to go about like also killing the kids, like these young kids that really would have posed no threat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is just especially okay they're asleep?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like why yeah?
Speaker 1: So what's the motive? Is it a vendetta of some sort? Are you just taking out anger?
Speaker 2: If it's a vendetta, like then it should just mostly be to the parents, You would think, you would. What on earth what the kids have done?
Speaker 1: Who knows? So amiss this whole ghastly state of bodies. Another disturbing aspect unfolded as a police meticulously combed through the residence. The killer had orchestrated a kind of macabre ritual after slaying everyone. So they had covered the faces of the deceased parents with sheets and then also covered the faces of the children with articles of clothing. So I wonder if it's almost like that the killer didn't like looking at it, that's my opinion. But not only that, every single mirror and every single window throughout the house was also meticulously covered with cloth and towels.
Speaker 2: Hmmm, so we also this person also didn't like looking at.
Speaker 1: Themselves maybe, huh. One of the strangest facts about this case, a slab of uncooked bacon weighing approximately two pounds, was wrapped in a dish towel and found in the stillinger sister's bedroom where they were sleeping. Really, yes, a slab of two pound uncooked bacon wrapped in a towel A little odd for a find.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but maybe that could have been something they.
Speaker 1: Had brought the little girls. Yeah, I highly doubt it.
Speaker 2: I don't know. It seems weird that a killer would leap that in one of the bedroom.
Speaker 1: Also seems weird that a little girl would just take that over to a friend's house for a sleepover. But I mean, who am I to judge. I've never been to a little girl's sleepover. So finally, inside the home, police also found a bowl of water that was stained red with blood. Investigators surmise the murderer had used this bowl to clean themselves up before leaving the scene of the heinous crime. So as news of the brutal incidents spread across the town of about two thousand residents, it was all anyone could talk about. A crowd began to assemble outside the moorhouse, which of course detracted the attention of many of the investigators on the scene, like such as police, corner minister, several doctors, etc. Right, And although officials cautioned the townspeople against entering the premise whatsoever, their morbid fascination proved absolutely overwhelming, and they began wandering inside the.
Speaker 2: Home seriously, and while bodies and stuff were still in there.
Speaker 1: Even with the bodies still in there, would just go in. Yes, there were even actual fuck there were even reports of people handling the murder weapon posing in front of the bodies. What. Yes, this isn't like a museum.
Speaker 2: Well I can't even speak, but it's not like an exit exhibits.
Speaker 1: No, it's not. It's a murder scene. And APPROXI the fuck it's estimated that approximately one hundred individuals to come to their morbid curiosity and ventured into the home throughout the crime scene.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: And of course it's probably needless to say that they contaminated it horribly.
Speaker 2: Yes, big time.
Speaker 1: Yeah hm hmm.
Speaker 2: I mean I guess like they back then they wouldn't have had true crime podcasts and stuff that they could listen to. That kind of eases that curiosity. But still, also I'm confused of why they were even able to get in there in the first place.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't know exactly why they were able to enter the premise. I would assume that authorities would be deterring people from entering, not only deterring, but preventing mm hmm. But it seems that they just were able to enter anyways. Maybe police were not caring too much. Maybe police were overwhelmed.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I guess it's a really it was a small town. Yeah, they probably had never dealt with anything like this before.
Speaker 1: No, they probably didn't have many police officers on scene. Maybe they only had two officers there. Maybe two officers are the ones trying to take care of this, and people are just entering willy nilly as the officers have their back turned.
Speaker 2: Jeez. Almost probably, Oh, I know these people like kind of you know.
Speaker 1: There was also a report that I found that one of the towns people even seized a fragment of Josiah's skull as a macob keepsake. Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that just seems mind blowing to me. Whoa like almost really more for a bit? Well, yeah, that they would just want to go in there and touch the murder weapon and keep souvenirs like what.
Speaker 1: The Yeah, So, of course, the search for the culprit behind the murder that would of course become infamously known as the Vliska Axe murders proved to be an arduous task for the authorities, who found themselves alarmingly short on leads and dealing with a what's the word, I'm looking for crime scene? Contaminated crime scene? There we go.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, despite making apparently like a half hearted attempt to scour the town is words like kind of a description that I've been seeing, so not really putting full effort into it, really searched through the town and surrounding countryside. Most officials believe that the killer had actually managed to elude capture, mostly due to the substantial five hour head start.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, yeah, so.
Speaker 1: Kind of the murder occurred in the middle of the night. Yep, took off out of town. Police are five hours by behind.
Speaker 2: He's already gone god knows where.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Some bloodhounds though, we're brought in as an attempt to aid the search. But because of all the towns people treading all over the crime scene, it was absolutely impossible for the dogs to get a scent on the culprit, let alone a scent trail leading out so whether or not it's from a contaminated crime scene or not, authorities were left with little snow evidence pointing towards who could have done this horrendous crime. Several suspects did emerge over time, but none of them yielded any substantial results. So I do have a list of suspects and some theories here that we're going to go over in a second.
Speaker 2: Okay, and I'm assuming a lot because it seemed like this person may have known them potentially, which could also have been a reason why they didn't scream, because they could have just been like waking up or whatever and then seeing someone they know, which would have kind of it would have made them not scream quite as quickly.
Speaker 1: But it was surmised everyone was killed in their sleeps. They weren't breaking right right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I don't even quite understand how they would have done that when people were sleeping in the same bed.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I don't understand it either.
Speaker 2: Huh interesting, Yeah, I mean he he, she whatever, because we don't don't know.
Speaker 1: No, they.
Speaker 2: They wouldn't have been able to put this axe down on someone thirty times and then move on to the next person. I feel like they would have had to kill one swing to the man, then the woman, yeah, and then go back and like yeah, go to town or.
Speaker 1: Unless there was one one swing on the mother, Dennis, swing on the father repeated thirty times and then back to the mother or who knows, but yeah, there would have been mixing and matching of some sort.
Speaker 2: Hm.
Speaker 1: So anyways, onto the individual, the suspects, and the theories. You ready for this. So the first individual who was under scrutiny was a man by the name of Frank Jones. He was a local businessman who had been engaged in a competitive rivalry with Josiah is a nice way, we'll say it here. So Josiah had spent seven years working for Frank Jones in the farm equipment sales industry before Josiah left to establish his own competing company. Oh okay, So rumors circulated that Josiah had engaged in an affair with Frank's daughter in law, but these reports were kind of unsubstantiated. So, however, some townspeople maintained that an animosity grew between Moore and the Jones families, although no one would admit that it had escalated or anything to the point of murder specifically, and that's kind of where that lies. It was specific, it was just speculation on the potential of Frank Jones because of a feud between the two families.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean it makes sense, I guess in this where he doesn't want competition, right, but that does seem like that's kind of go on next level here to go and murder them own people, definitely with an axe fords sakes.
Speaker 1: But especially like it's not only competition. But you look at it this way. If Frank did teach Josiah everything he knew or even gave resources to where you like where you purchase the farm equipment to resell it, so your your dealers and everything, and then Josiah leaves and uses all that information against him, Well, now his family is probably being like losing money because he taught someone else and he's using that in leverage against So it's kind of like this vicious like something that's going to eat you up inside, like how could I have taught him this? And how could he take this and do this to me?
Speaker 2: Like probably a feeling of he was stabbed in the back exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So now I don't know this specif the relationship between the two and how like their business life went. I don't know if Frank did teach him a shit ton or anything, but that is a potential way of how it could have gone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it makes sense. It makes sense, but not necessarily to the extent of the crime.
Speaker 1: No. So, a second suspect, appearing far more promising, even confessed to the murders. Oh wow, albeit later retracted the confession, claiming police coercion.
Speaker 2: Okay, well we've heard of.
Speaker 1: That before, yep. So the man is Reverend Lynn George Jacqueline Kelly. So, Reverend George is an English immigrant and traveling minister, self ordained in fact actually, who had a history of deviant sexual behavior and mental issues. They emerged as a person of interest specifically because they're history.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So George openly admitted to being present in Valliska, the town on the night of the axe murders, and acknowledged his early morning departure. So, while his small stature and timid demeanor led some to doubt his involvement, there were certain factors that police considered compelling in establishing him as a prime candidate. So George was left handed a conclusion drawn from blood spatter analysis indicated that the perpetrators shared this trait. They were also left handed, okay. Additionally, George had had a known connection to the More family, as many had witnessed him apparently observing the family during church services and apparently as well while they were out doing their daily lives around town. Furthermore, a nearby dry cleaner had received blood stained garments from George a few days after the murder.
Speaker 2: Whoa.
Speaker 1: It was reported that he even approached the police masquerading as a Scotland yard officer, requesting access to the crime scene.
Speaker 2: Okay, but those clothes I feel like would.
Speaker 1: Be drenched I think so as well, not.
Speaker 2: Just like some blood splatter on there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I couldn't find any more information on that kind of dry cleaning incident, how much blood or anything. I have a feeling, well, I don't know if the clothes were actually washed, you know, I'm not too sure what kind of evidence would there be. It would just be really hearsay.
Speaker 2: Well, and I also just feel like whoever did this would discard of their clothes and not bring them to the dry cleaner, you know.
Speaker 1: I mean this is early nineteen hundreds though, too, It's nineteen twelve. Yeah, did I just say early nineteen hundreds?
Speaker 2: Ugh, you would just throw them in the garbage.
Speaker 1: I think maybe, I mean hard to say. Yeah, you're kind of talking like farm Life nineteen twelve here, right, a little bit different.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you could just be like, oh, I had a murder or not murder, but I had to put down or kill some cows or something.
Speaker 1: Oh I just had a murder. Now I need my shit wash. He's real casual about it. So, during a prolonged interrogation with George Kelly, he eventually signed a detailed confession outlining his involvement in the crime. However, it was of course redacted in court. A jury declined to indict er, sorry, indict him based on any available evidence, because well there was none. So he was acquitted on all charges after two trials, and the mystery of the Vliska axe murder persistent persisted.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, I don't know, Okay, let's keep going here.
Speaker 1: Another theory implicated Senator Jones, who allegedly hired a man by the name of William quote Blackie Mansfield to carry out the murders. So Mansfield, I'll call Mansfield by his last name, suspected of being a cocaine indicted serial killer. Oh geez, I've been linked to similar acts murders in Colorado Springs and other locations. Detective James Newton Wilkins believed Mansfield was responsible for various killings due to the striking similarities in their execution. Now, despite some compelling evidence, Manfield's alibi, supported by payroll records, placed him in Illinois at the time of Vliska murders. Ultimately, Mansfield was released due to insufficient evidence.
Speaker 2: Okay, shit, because what I was thinking is that I was going to ask if there had been kind of similar other murders like this. I don't know, because it doesn't seem like this would have been someone's necessarily first time. But also, do you know why the senator was it? The senator would have hired a hit man?
Speaker 1: I'm not too sure.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: I didn't really dive too deep into it because it was kind of like, well, it's like a falsified or a proven false theory, So I was like, eh, but.
Speaker 2: It could it could make sense that this was a hit man too, Like not saying that that it's that, but it could be someone else or something.
Speaker 1: But you still need a motive. So if it is a hit man of some sort, why.
Speaker 2: Well, it could have been that other business owner who hired a hit man.
Speaker 1: Maybe Frank, Yeah, possibly possible. I mean, there are a lot of theories out there basically on who could have been like the true killer behind this. There is another one, for example, Henry Lee Moore, no relation to more family. He was another acts wielding serial killer that became a person of interest due to resemblance in the crimes, but again there's no real evidence for it. Another is Sam Moyer, who's Josiah's other in law. He was raised in suspicion due to reported threats against Josiah's life. However, through investigation later they cleared him of any involvement. Additionally, Paul Mueller, who's an immigrant, is believed to be connected to a series of murders across the United States, including this as murder case, so he was identified as a possible suspect by two authors Bill James and Rachel McCarthy James in their book The Man from the Train. I did not get a chance to read the book. I so want to now, but unfortunately, none of these theories, including this one from the book has any substantial evidence to really bring anything forward, to prove anything and show any individual to be the one responsible.
Speaker 2: So they just have basically no one pretty much, and I mean so much time has passed. This is just probably it would be a freaking miracle if this ever got solved.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you would probably need physical evidence with like a diary of someone writing it back in the day or something like that. You know, where someone finds like their great grandpa's I don't know, trunk of things from back in the day on the farm and inside there's a diary of how he describes this taking place and he was the one. Things like that, you.
Speaker 2: Know, Yeah, yeah, which I mean could potentially happen. I guess there is.
Speaker 1: Ever there is, but it's yeah, the chances are pretty slim basically.
Speaker 2: And to be honest, none of those theories really stood out to me that that much.
Speaker 1: No, not so much, which sucks. The one reverend is pretty much the one with the most substance to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but why, I mean, yeah, all of them is.
Speaker 1: Kind of well, why that individual is one of the few out of this case where it's they have history, They have a history, They were in town and they were seen actually looking at the watching or whatever, the meror family, and then I mean it was coerced, but there was a confession, but it was redacted. So that is the one that's the most compelling as far as I'm concerned. Yeah, not saying it's yeah, evidential, you.
Speaker 2: Know, but I still think it was some sort of hit man. That's sort of my thought. But I don't know who necessarily hired.
Speaker 1: It's possible, and I mean, like over time, like this is a case that's over one hundred years old, so it basically just fizzled out, grew cold, and there's not really anything anyone can bring forward for the case. The murder house, as the Moorhouse, which is now called the feliska Axe Murder House, was basically just left abandoned. Its doors were left tightly sealed. No attempts were made to sell the property, and the original layout remained touched. Today, the house stands as a solemn tourist attraction, nestled at the end of the Tranquil Street while life carries on around it.
Speaker 2: Can you actually go in the house now, I wonder you can? Really?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a tourist attraction.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Yeah, though that story maybe lost to history. The Walliska House itself is more than just a tourist attraction, though for those who are curious and intrigued. In this case, it's not the end of it. It has become a paranormal hotspot.
Speaker 2: Really, it has, not surprising.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so many people travel from around the world to visit this site in hopes of not only you know, visiting the axe murder House of Alisca, but potentially to see some ghosts.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Some are actually even granted the opportunity to perform paranormal investigations after hours, which is pretty dope. I'd love to go there and yeah no, yeah no, yeah no, yeah no, Okay.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean i'd go there, but I don't know if I want to be trying to play around with that. I oh, yeah, that's terrifying.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So, the spirits that are said to reside within kind of vary depending on who you're talking to or articles you read or TV shows you watch or whatever. Right, but typically it's a combination of the following victims of the murder, the person who committed the murders, and various dark and malicious spirits.
Speaker 2: Oka.
Speaker 1: Needless to say, though, this story is one of those more famous and well known cases in the United States, And of course it's kind of understandable why it's very gruesome and it's kind of growing more and more to this day because it's evolved into this paranormal story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I have.
Speaker 1: A feeling that it's going to be one of these more famous cases for a long time to come.
Speaker 2: Well. Yeah, and it's just really too bad though, Like the whole family just got taken out, and then it was the night of a sleepover as well, Like, oh, I hate events like that. People, you know, you're really really just the wrong time. Gosh. Yeah, like those parents are they I imagine they you know, gosh, like why did I let them go sleep over? Right? And they didn't do anything wrong, like nothing wrong, but it just gosh like could something have come up where like they couldn't end up going or whatever? Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Oh gosh, Well, I mean life is like that, right, one decision can lead to something completely different, whether it's good or bad, and it could be years later that that one decision makes an impact.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally.
Speaker 1: For example, if you're at a Starbucks, Okay, just bear with me here, You're at a Starbucks. You're waiting in line for the coffee. The line's rather long, and you look outside and you see a coffee shop across the street, one that's just opened up, a little local one. There's no one really there. Well, do you wait in line for your Starbucks coffee that you know you like, that you get every day, or do you cross the street and go to this little unknown one and roll the dice and see if it's good, just shop or not? Okay, you decide not to go over the coffee shop. You're just gonna wait in line and keep doing your thing. And that's exactly what happens. You wait in line, get your coffee, and you go into work with your day, and your day just continues as it normally does. However, in the event that you do cross the street and you go to this coffee shop, you find out that it's better than Starbucks. You love it, Okay, so you start going there instead. Say, it's just as popular as Starbucks in a few months, right, so it doesn't matter which one you go to anymore, But you like this one. You're gonna stick it out. You love it and support local. It's a locally owned one. All of a sudden three years later, Hey, someone starts working there that you kind of like, you start talking with them, you start flirting with them. All of a sudden, oh my god, you start dating with them, and oh my god, you're married and you're having kids all because guess what, you cross the fucking street.
Speaker 2: And well, honestly, so many things in a person's life, it can go that way, Yeah, where you're like, wow, if I just change this or or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you can't look back and say, well, what if, what if? Kudoshit?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: No, no, you can't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it is what it is, And maybe it's like that for a reason.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, gosh, it sure just doesn't seem like that family deserve this. It's like I almost feel like I wish I could know more, like what on earth? Because it also seemed like the person who was doing it could potentially have known the house and known them, which.
Speaker 1: It's potential really fucked. Or what if and bear with me here, Devil's advocate, what if, like you said, kids sleep a little heavier, what if they know Okay, I need to take out the parents first, because parents are going to probably wake up, but they're the most likely to, you know, in one on one I'll have a harder time with. So I need to take them out first. So they go in the house, they're creeping around, they peek in the bedroom. Yeah, kids go to the next one. Yeah that's kids. Oh, here's the adults, because.
Speaker 2: I mean, like parents are always peaking in kids' bedrooms to kind of make sure they're asleep and stuff, right, So kids, I feel like, are used to that sort of thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Or what if the person was scoping out the house and they saw the parents in the window when they were going to sleep and they just waited an hour after they went to sleep or whatever.
Speaker 2: M h Yeah, wow, just brutal.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So that's the story of the Vliska X murders. It was a very interesting case, very interesting case. Thank you for those who recommended it. Yeah, I think we had probably a couple dozen people recommended to us over the course of the last year at least.
Speaker 2: So well, I've definitely heard of this case, mostly the title, I think, probably from just recommendations, but I've never like listened to any podcasts or read up on it at all. So well, I mean, I just freaking hate these unsolved ones.
Speaker 1: So yeah. Well, I mean there's a lot out there. I consider how many murders crimes all occur, I guarantee you it's a small fraction that actually get solved.
Speaker 2: I feel like it has to be at least half.
Speaker 1: I don't think so.
Speaker 2: Really, Hey, I don't think so. I wonder what the stats are on that. I would feel like it would be at least half. But yeah, maybe not. It should be. For the love of God, don't go murder people.
Speaker 1: No, don't.
Speaker 2: I mean, because I feel like it's got it. I feel like more gets solved than not.
Speaker 1: I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Gosh, that's that's a disturbing way to end this podcast. Wow.
Speaker 1: Sorry should I Should I not have said that?
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm going to look that up now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I really hope that it is more in the line of being solved and people serving the time. I hope that's the case. My gut's just telling me that it's the other way around.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, I mean, because a lot of times there's missing people too, exactly. The chances are like they maybe you know, are no longer here unfortunately.
Speaker 1: So yeah, and it could be just someone who just did something bad that got away with it. M h, well they say that. What's the saying is like you walk by everyone walks by a murder in their life or something like yes or something. I'm gonna look that up.
Speaker 2: Or isn't it what's that one the seven degree separation or something that's all.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, but.
Speaker 2: I have heard this walking by a murderer thing, and lots of times it could be people who too, you like, least expect least expect it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly the average person. This is by the New York Post. The average person walks past thirty six murderers.
Speaker 2: And oh yeah, sleep on that one.
Speaker 1: That's yeah, okay, that was much higher than I thought.
Speaker 2: Holy fuck, real scary huh. Okay, Well, we got to go put some chickens in their coop.
Speaker 1: We do. It's getting dark outside. They gotta go to bed. Yeah yeah. If you guys have any more recommendations, hit us up. You want to check out our social media is where we're gonna be posting some pretty much, well pretty much some pretty awesome YouTube videos here. Soon all the links are down there. Got Patreon, we got Instagram, faithbook YouTube. We'll be doing a chicken coop building video on YouTube. Because why the fuck not. Yeah, all the links are down there. We appreciate you guys being here, You're absolutely awesome, and of course, as
Speaker 2: Always, stay wicked.