Speaker 1: Well here we are back again, at least for the time being. I think looking at the schedule here, I think we might be able to do this for a couple of Mondays in some form or fashion. Here read Mark cast here, Welcome to the show. Please like and subscribe. Jason Hussey is under the weather today. I think that might be Canadian for a hungover I think Jason was at the Hammer watching that thrilling tie Cats Argonauts game.
Speaker 2: We'll talk about that. Andrew Murray is logging in here.
Speaker 1: Let me get through a couple of things because I have a joke for Andy before I pull him on.
Speaker 2: Like I said, like and subscribe. Back here. It's been really kind of a whirlwind the last couple of weeks.
Speaker 1: So we had to go back to Texas and then Boston for work, and then went to now I got to go to Vegas here in October. But I think for a couple of weeks here, I'm running that football start next week, and I think we'll figure that. I think I think the four o'clock and then leads you into that. Then you can slip over to Troy and Buck and all of that and watch that. Let's bring into Professor and Murray, Andy, I thought you were going to pull Nathan Worrick and not fulfill your media obligations today, Andy, filling in here for Jason Hussey.
Speaker 3: How are you doing, sir, great man. It's so good to see you. I haven't been on since before the season started, if I'm not mistaken.
Speaker 1: You know, it's really like even asking about stuff over the week, and I'm like, time is a nebulus right now. Five nights on the road was very exciting. Back here, I'm caught up on everything. I have a lot of Nathan Warrick and all that to talk about. I said, we hope Jason feels better. Like I said, he was hanging out at the Hammer. I imagine that has part to do with the upset stomach today, but obviously we hope he feels better. Andy, First off, how the heck are you? And how's life? And how are you enjoying the CFL season? I mean, the Labor Da era CFL doesn't start till Labor Day weekend, but this was a really thrilling weekend of football.
Speaker 2: What have you thought so far of everything?
Speaker 3: This has been a really, really good season. I obviously made my side trip to Edmonton and that's kind of started the new era. Honestly, the tray well I thought to beat the new era, the tray forward era. However, Edmonton's fortunes have been vastly improved since that game happened. The season itself has been just a roller coaster. I mean, obviously we'll get into your team later, but this has been a really just delightful season to watch from every week, there being new storylines, different quarterbacks coming into the system, whether they were starting the season with their teams or not, injuries, coaches being fired left and right, and teams. It's been really interesting and honestly, it's been probably the most parody that I can remember from watching the CFL in the past few years. So for me, it's been a really good product to watch as far as entertainment value, and even though not all the players that I've wanted to see have been playing throughout the season, it's been very compelling to follow along with everything going on.
Speaker 1: I was thinking about it today, I was watching I think it was the Calgary and I've got I.
Speaker 2: I did put on my evonton my ee hat here.
Speaker 1: I think I got this when they were the Evonton Football Club or football team or whatever they called it, but got this one on today.
Speaker 2: I was watching that game because I agree with you.
Speaker 1: When I was reading Don Kata's article like last week, because I've been tracking everything.
Speaker 2: I've just been so and like trying.
Speaker 1: To keep them with the group chat, like I read everything, but I'm like, what is going on? But talking about TV ratings being up right, and obviously we'll get the ratings.
Speaker 2: I don't know if they came out today.
Speaker 1: I've been running around, but you know, for for this weekend, and not that we do a lot of TV ratings us on here, but like CFL's hot right now, right like it feels hot. Ratings are good. This is exciting quality of plays up. We have a lot of parody. And I was sitting there watching that Calgary game. They've got the cow bells going and the air horns. I'm like, I a way to appeal to this younger demographic, like get rid of some of that stuff, because I think you could really market this as kind of a sexy product. I know we want to get the grandpa's they are part of the stampeder Days kind of in all this, but I thought, man, they're talking and it seems like three downs, really high on the seed. You know, everyone's really high and everything's going on. But that you watch that and you're like, this is like I think Rod Peterson calls it like state Fair football or whatever every once in a while. So I wish that they would like because I love everything else. I think, you know, let's revamp the graphics or it's revamped the music. Get rid of some of that stuff. I don't need to hear the cow bells in the stands. I don't need and this isn't just Montreal, but they got the like, get rid of some of that and let's spice it up a little bit, because I do think like, let's ride this. The NFL is the biggest thing in the world, like sports in general. I was watching pair are the what was it the Special Olympics forever, I was watching the bad minton guys going back.
Speaker 2: Just everything seems on the on the height right now.
Speaker 1: But I would just appreciate that. But that's that's me. Call me American, but that is what it is.
Speaker 3: I mean, would you prefer death by cow bell or deaf by airhorn? Because that's basically the choice you get these days when it comes to crowd noise in the CFL, But I do like what I heard from the Saskatchewan Winnipeg game. That seemed like a raucous environment and it obviously was the most sold out game in the history of that rivalry. From the Saskatchewan standpoint in Mosaic Stadium, and it seemed rocous the entire time. It seemed like it was very back and forth through a lot of Winnipeg fans. There were a lot of very just over their skis Saskatchewan fans who were ready for this losing streak to loot to end, which it didn't obviously, but we'll get into later. But I mean, I think the energy level the people. It's the thing that I kind of saw a little bit from some other leagues that we follow, like for example, you know XFL twenty twenty, or even some cases in the UFL where people who do show up, I think, do care. It's just a matter of getting a mixed audience. It's about getting other people involved. It's about getting other you know, maybe gimmicks, I guess you'd call them, and I'm sure if that's the right word, but getting more excitement from what's being presented, and like you said, I think one of the I think there's a point you made last week, or maybe it was the week before that I really resonated with, which was how the league's advertising goes about saying it really matters after Labor Day. What about all the weeks before that, how about the entire half season that happens before Labor Day. I think that is demonstratively important, you know, especially with teams that like Edmonton starting off zero to seven and then somehow, somehow they're actually in the potential race to being in the wild like in a wild card spot in the playoffs in the West Division, Winnipeg being a complete zombie coming back from the dead in the last few weeks after they were horrible in the first month. I just think there needs to be more consciousness of that too, where it's just that you can't just toss that way. Especially let's think about this read what's just started back up this past weekend that really distracted me from engaging with anything on Saturday. I think that the Victoria game was great. College football's back, I mean college football's back in the fold. NFL is starting on Thursday. Your American audience is conscious with that, CFL whatever attention span you had with it for the last twelve weeks is going out the window. It's gonna be completely dissipated. You have to build up momentum, and you have to find a way to build that momentum. I know we're American audience. I know it's about Canadians, but I'm just saying, if you're thinking about bringing other people in, that's something you have to at least consider well.
Speaker 1: I mean, save the college football. Did the guy eat the dog poop? That's what I need to know.
Speaker 3: I during.
Speaker 1: I texted that Paul, Paul formerly in the market, I go, Paul, are you tracking this as closely as I am?
Speaker 2: Because I just need to know that I'm not more than that.
Speaker 1: But anyway, we'll get to everything today full Labor Day weekend, a breakdown here at CFL Week thirteen.
Speaker 2: Like I said, like and subscribe, we'll give away.
Speaker 1: We can't do the UFL tickets or anything anymore, so we'll do We're doing the Royal retros. We'll do a CFL custom jersey and then UFL custom jersey team if you want whatever, We'll figure it out. We get two Canadian but I like, we'll do a couple of that, because if you want, like a I don't know, maybe you want the Nathan Rourke you know, VC Lions Jersey, or maybe you want whatever we've done, like Doug Flutie ones in the past.
Speaker 2: We've done all that stuff, so like and subscribe.
Speaker 1: I do think, like I said, we should beat regular here for at least the next couple of weeks and then I'll figure out if I get whisked away on this that really is and the funny story and if anyone cares on the marquets. But you know, I do video production, wedding, videography, corporate, all that stuff. And I had missed out on a bid that I had put in for the same thing last year for this year, and it was going to be in Vegas. And when they declined my bid, the lady went on and saw, you know, we've corresponded a lot, but she was looking at my signature and I have the mark Cast, you know read you know, own her best made videos, host to the mark Cast, and she clicked that link sa the YouTube channel. And it's because of because of the Mark Cast that I get to fly over in the country now and do this podcast for the CEO so you know, at the end of the day, like something actually came out of this save with anything else, Andy, do we want to do the Nathan workcause I feel like that Nathan Warkstep's kind of dead, but I haven't had a chance to voice. I want to make sure you have a chance. We want to start with that and then we can do the Victoria game and roll through. Does that make sense? You're muted, Andy, You're muted?
Speaker 3: Sorry? Oh yeah, sorry? Do you wanted to start with the storyline? Correct? The storyline that came out about him this past weekend?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I just I mean, because I have thoughts.
Speaker 1: I share some thoughts on Twitter, and I got in some arguments with some people, and that's fine. I mean, I don't need you know, no one needs to agree with me or not, but I want to make sure I get some points out there. You know, obviously we saw Nathan Warrick kind of I don't know if it was like Cold Show older or kind of like stand off far Han a friend of the show. Without getting into details. I don't think that that sort of thing will be happening again. I just, you know, all hot takes a side, and I'm sure Rod was talking about it today and everything else, But I want to make sure we address that any Do you have any thoughts on that. I'll kind of get to my step because I'm, like I said, I know it's kind of dead news here, it's Tuesday.
Speaker 2: I want to make sure we really touch on it.
Speaker 3: I mean, I know it's a few days after the fact, but in the moment, I was just surprised and a little bit disappointed that that was the immediate reaction that Roork had when Farhid Laundry was approaching him for the interview. Look, I know a lot of people, I know for a fact, don't particularly care for the media interviews. They don't care for the halftime stuff. They don't care for talking to coaches and players in the middle of a game. They think it's superfluous and it doesn't really matter. But the fact of the matter is you have to put the faces of your league out there or another. Whatever they say is whatever they say, they've been coached up to say. Whatever it is. As a player of Nathan's pedigree, which is quite high, in fact the highest in the entire league, I think we could argue it's it's honestly incumbent of him. To present himself in a way to the media that, even if he doesn't like talking to them, at least shows that he understands that people want to hear from him, because people do. He's getting paid a bunch of money, he got basically everything thrown at him last minute to come and save the Lions season. And especially considering that Farhan, who I think we respect tremendously. I have a lot of respect fro him. You have a lot of respect fro him, is not a guy who I think gets you.
Speaker 2: He's not a gotcha journalist, like let me you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he shouldn't be like put into the same category as some of these other media personalities who are just trying to interrupt you and just like pull you in into the little dark circle. That's not what they are, so I think, And I think that's a sidebar here because I don't believe that Nathan thinks of him that way, but it certainly seems like that's how he's treating him, and I don't think that's fair too far Han, but especially just basically, for lack of a better term, blowing him, blowing off the interview and just basically running off with his teammates. I understand that Nathan is a very focused, very meticulous planner when it comes to his game strategy and being in tune with what's going on. He played tremendously well on Saturday, But the fact of the matter is he still has to put up in appearance. I mean, he showed up in the booth. I know he was doing NFL stuff at the time, but he showed up in the booth for his team, for the PC team a month ago and speculating about what it would be like to come back, and I think he still has to at least be somewhat presentable. I just think it came off and he may not have intended this, that it came off like he was above all of it, and quite frankly, he should not be presenting it that way, because that not only does enfranchises yourself, I think it disenfranchises your team, and I think it doesn't franchises the league as a whole, like that is an incredible product that you're trying to put out there, and I think it was just disappointing. Again, I don't think that was his intended effect. I do believe he was just very in the moment, but he has to be a little bit more conscious of that stuff. Just even if you're zoned out for thirty seconds answering questions, just that's what you gotta do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just a couple of things. Like I said, and I get all this, but you know, and this is the platform we get for all this stuff. It was the same thing I think it was McLeod. Was it two seasons ago where you kind of pushed the camera guy off when they were and I think they had lost. It was that when they lost to Hamilton and they were going to the Great Coup or whatever, but like he kind of pushed the camera off as some of the used to work in TV news and deal with sports and deal with like I was the one that I can read Richard Sherman, but he came to see out and all that, like very in tune with all that. When DeVante Adams, I think it was right ran into the videographer. Was it last season or is he like I took offense to that. It's the thing that bothers me. My thing is this because because it came out and like I said, I don't think that this is something we'll have to worry about again.
Speaker 2: But when you're Nathan work when you leave the CFL in.
Speaker 1: The beginning, and when you when you put on your statement like you know, my I think Evan re shared it in the thing and I looked it up today too to make sure I had it. But it was like an unforeseen detour and they have to come up to the CFL. That his quote before you go into the NFL, and now you're finally coming back when you've really you know, exhausted some of your opportunities. Right, You're being paid a boatload of money you're coming in here. To me, that speaks to I don't want to be here right or I feel like I'm above that, And like you said, if that's not the intention, that's awesome. That's how it comes across to me. Also, there's been all of this back and forth with you know, the marketing budget and how are we fording work and we're paying all this I'm like, did half your salary is a marketing money? Like, I mean, I know this's I mean, I know that's more like media, you know, appearances or we're gonna go, you know, giveaway coach for children and we're gonna kind of do all that stuff like you're paid for that. And then it was the whole thing where Nathan Warke was like, well, uh, you know, Coach Campbell said, if I did this, I would never have to do it the rest of my career.
Speaker 2: Hey, does Nathan really believe that? Like, do you really believe that? Buh?
Speaker 1: Come on, Rick, Like we've and I'm infant myself up again because I wasn't as Hampson. I left a very angry voice memo in the group to other for the weekend, but like, uh, Rick, coach your guys up. Nathan, you need to go do this. You're you're the face of the league. You're the face of everything. And Hussey pointed out because we were talking about it, you know, like this was one of the tenth pole games of the regular season. This was that, Hey, we're going to you know what do they call it, Touchdown Pacific and we're doing all that and the big you know, standout kind.
Speaker 2: Of all that stuff.
Speaker 1: So you have all the media mail, you know, meet, all the eyes on this and what I don't like about it, and like you said, I love far Han, I love all this. I've interacted with, you know, mini media members, the Jamolin of the world, and Derek Taylor and kind of all that stuff. There's certain people I think because of how you know, and Nathan's been on our show, I have all respect for him. Maybe obviously the BC Lions stand. There's a certain like babying of Nathan I think just because a lot of the media have covered him for so long, right because obviously far Han's covering him in high school and Okay, what's he gonna do and we got this Canadian players, he gonna go to CFL is you need to go?
Speaker 2: So you've been there.
Speaker 1: I think there's a certain sense of like we gotta protect and far Han did his little post game, I'm like, well, you know, we're fine and we're good, Like that's not your and again all respect to Farhan, but like I think that you're viewing that through well, I feel protective of Nathan because I've been involved in hit with him this so long, right, Like, I don't take offense to that where if it wasn't someone like far Haan, I think there would be James has a comment here, you know he wouldn't have done that to an NFL reporter spoiler alert, mister wanted to be in the NFL and that's what they're doing this season. They're doing the XFL step. So if you're if you're opposed to a you know, a thirty second halftime interview, uh spoiler alert. This year, we're going to be talking to you know, Mike McDonald or whoever on the sidelines for the NFL games. Like this is something that's going to be you know, carried over from the XFL and the UFL. So like, uh, this whole like we I don't want to do that. It's only going to get worse if you ever wanted to go back to the NFL, which I don't know if that's going to happen or not. But again, it just it speaks to this like, uh again, I love da Athony. He's a you know, starting quarterback of the team that I want to see in the Gray Cup more than anything. But just it really came across and I was just really disappointed because this wasn't even week one. This was week three, and far Hunt like, well, you know, we didn't want to bother him the first week like this, he's not not a baby like you can, hey, we need to do the interview, like this is what's going on here. It's part of the job. Doing media interviews as an athlete is part.
Speaker 2: Of the job.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think it's a a certain kind of profile and a certain kind of person to be able to pull off certain stunts with the media. For example, you're not Terrell and Lynch, Marshall Lynch. I'm just here, so I'm not fine. But Marsha Lynch would also say very poignant things at times that were very like I know, the vernacular may have not been something that people were familiar with, but he said it in a way that made a lot of sense from a colloquial standpoint. He actually was very well spoken when he wanted to be, but he didn't always want it to be right. But then there's people like Terall Owens, who was just a complete circus and just loved having the camera on him, right. You know, there's people like that, and there are other There's plenty of players out there who never want to talk to anybody. A lot of them, you know, I don't know if it's a majority percentage, but a lot of them don't. I get it. But like you said, to your point, if you're going to be involved, if you really if your end goal is to be in the NFL. To be part of one of the biggest, like commercial entities in this country, you're gonna have to be part of the media scrup You're gonna just have to find a way to play along with it. And there are ways to do it. You can get you can get coached up on that. There's ways for you to be able to answer those questions and be able to you know, you could be very bureaucratic if you want to, or you can have a little bit of fun with it and be tucket cheek, or you can say certain things that reflect certain ways and your teammates when I understand but the media doesn't. There's there's a playbook for there's playbook, there's all kinds of different playbooks for this and whatever playbook that Nathan was given, Like you said, I'm not sure if it was from coach Rick Campbell, but if that's the case, it wasn't the right one to use in that situation, especially like you said, this was a market game. This is a this was a flagship game on the schedule before the season even started. This was a va considering that he started. Now Roor comes back into the fold and he gets to play in his home talent, like, I mean, that's even bigger. I think. I think it just blew up because of that too, because it was such an important mashup and they played so well in the first half, so you're thinking, wow, he's got to be And that's the other thing. It's almost like ironic. You're thinking, like, oh, he's got to be in such fit, like he's got to be in great spirits to talk. And then that's the interview good. I mean, if you threw like three picks, okay, maybe I would understand. But he played exceedingly well in the first half. That was the last that that's one of the last INSS. I think he would be short with somebody from the media standpoint.
Speaker 1: Last thing on this and then I'm pulling up the game here so we can talk about that. We can start with the with the you know, touchdown Pacific just and then the whole cause again that you then you I try not to get into the two arguing whatever on on Twitter.
Speaker 2: Be like, well, see those interviews are pointless.
Speaker 1: So that this actually did better because it went viral, so like maybe that was like you're just being argumentative, like the whole well, we don't care about this like, Okay, well you've carried every other game and every other time and every other Like I just I'm tired of like the excuse making anyone else would need to do it.
Speaker 2: It's something that we do.
Speaker 1: Like I said, I don't think this will be an issue moving forward.
Speaker 2: I think that will be good.
Speaker 1: Let's get to I got to present us here.
Speaker 3: I have one more thing I want to add, just real quick. Just I think one of the things I just want to mention about this is that I think from your standpoint, I know you can attest to this. The Canadian media really gravitates sort of people when they feel like they're in their fold right, when they really feel like you're part of the ecosystem, they really pay attention to you, and it can feel tremendously important because the country is obviously, from a standpoint of how many people are there, it could be a lot smaller than the US, so it feels a lot more important. Like I think, if anybody wants context, I think you should go read Paul Wood's book on Rocket iss Mail and the Toronto Argonauts. In ninety one, Rocket is Mail got paid a lot of money and he had to do a lot of media stuff, and quite frankly, he did not sound like he wanted to do a lot of media stuff. He was young, he had he had money, he wanted to just live his life, and he had to do the media stuff because it was like, you're the biggest thing since slice bread. You were going to save our league and and I think it was just a lot of expectation on him. And I wonder sometimes if Rourke feels that way, and I get that. I get it from that standpoint. I do, because it is a lot of pressure. But if you hold yourself accountable in terms of being somebody who can playing something like the NFL, that pressure is gonna be there. You have to expect that. So it kind of goes both ways. I get it from a standpoint of it being a little bit overwhelming, but that's that's just that's part of the games. It's this is what's going to be part of also.
Speaker 1: And the last thing was then when he uh they were and then they pulled him after the game, because my other thing was and then he was complaining after the game, was like, well, uh, you know, I even came like you were talking. I was talking to my family, my great aunt whatever, and you pulled me over here and like he gave a grand and people are like, oh, we'll see.
Speaker 2: I'm like, that's not how I read that.
Speaker 1: I read that as like I'm kind of being passive aggressive, like and again, if that's not the case, don't say, like, well I was. I was talking to my great aunt and I came over here. You guys had me come over here and do this, and like.
Speaker 2: Is the post game?
Speaker 1: Like this isn't JV football, This is the post game of the Touchdown Pacific. Anyway, I got very, very agitated with all that stuff, but this was a good game. I really feel like Zach here was in to Chad asking and the wee can talking with Jack later talking about you know, wait, do we get back to a regular schedule, Like, but there's stuff to talk about, and I'm talking about right now, we go play fantasy. I've made whatever in the heck Brandon's doing fantasy. Made go watch this.
Speaker 2: Free football invitational whatever the hell that is.
Speaker 1: But I feel like I like, in the absence here of a couple of weeks, did I miss like the Dark Ages of the Lions. I know that Hussy and I did the one? Was it two weeks ago and then after the big Nathan Work debut.
Speaker 2: But like, okay, we'd.
Speaker 1: Beat outaway here, kick the snot out of them, We played good defense. Like, what was your overall take of this game? Because, as you know, I've been very down on the Lions and Rick Campbell this season.
Speaker 3: Well for the last five weeks, rightfully, so this is the worst era of the Rick Campbell at tenure in BC. They played awful. They were all out of sorts. Their offense looked out of sync, their defense was just getting absolutely crushed this game. On the other hand, this was the Nathan Work that they paid for. He looked fantastic. His footwork was on point. Even when he got pressured in the pocket, he was able to step up. He made some brilliant passes to Justin mckinnis, got Keon Hatcher involved, got Alexander Hollins, evolved a little bit more. He's still not reaching the same numbers that he had earlier in the season, but he at least got him a touchdown, which I think hopefully hopefully expand this confidence going forward. Really, the biggest thing for me is that they showcased Williams standback. He looked like that's exactly the kind of guy that they brought in this offseason to try and jump start this rud game, which I've noticed has gotten a lot more potent since Rorke stepped into the lineup. Specifically, I'm not sure what it is, but when Va was in there really pass heavy, they didn't really want to get the run game going very much. They couldn't really get a lot of lanes going. But for some reason, with Rourke in there, I think part of it is that Rorke is willing to use his legs a lot and is willing to run a lot more. I think I can't remember who brought up the comment, but they said, well, what has he got to lose. He's he can get. He doesn't really worry about getting injured. He could just go out there and play. Maybe it was one of the three down guys, but they basically it seems like he's playing unafraid, which for the first couple of weeks was leading to a lot of errors. But now with this ability to not worry about, well, I don't know if I'm going to get a training camp in fight, he doesn't have to worry about that. Now he could just go play VA. It always felt like they kind of handled with with gloves. It was like, Okay, let's just make sure we don't break the shiny, the shiny diamond that we have. And I think because of that, this offense looked the best it's looked all season. Uh maybe save for that first half of It's Hamilton earlier in the season when they just absolutely blew the doors off the tie Cats in the first quarter. Uh, this was just a really the first half was just really a clinic. It was a complete clinic by this offense, and the best that they've looked at in weeks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this was exciting. It was cool.
Speaker 1: I got, you know, watching the recap whatever, a really cool atmosphere ride.
Speaker 2: I think that was everything they wanted. I wish they would, you know.
Speaker 1: I think I think in an eighteen week season, we can do a touchdown in Atlantic and a touchdown Pacific.
Speaker 2: I don't think we need to have just one or the other. But that was really cool.
Speaker 1: I liked having BC kind of involved in the Labor Day weekend matchups, right, and I know we try to do kind of the rivalry games and trying to Hamilton and kind of all that stuff. That was cool for that, Like you said, getting standback involved. I know that Jason has been you knowed down, was that the back that we need to come in here and really compete against all of eras of the world and everything else when it comes to November time getting him more involved? Are we do we feel more bullish on him now in that regard? And then I have a fall up question about Vernon here.
Speaker 3: Once you get through that, yeah, I kind of sympathize a little bit with what jac has been saying. I'm not sure if he's necessarily feedback for them to solve their troubles. I don't know if that would have meant they go after someone like Kadem Carry who's had a solid season. Do you try to trade for somebody like reichwall Armstead, which I don't think is going to happen. I think Ottowa's very happy with him, know you know, could you have gotten someone like London Fletcher obviously was an unknown commodity and now he's had a very good year with Montreal. I don't know if they could have gone after him. It's hard to say. Like if there was a magic formula again in the CFL, obviously running is not as important, but they need to have. It was just having that physical element, right. They just needed to have something that they could use to play as a chess piece against Winnipeg. And I don't know, I'm still not sure if Williams Standback's that case. What I'm more impressed with is his cashing ability. I did not realize he was so multipurpose. I do not remember him being like that in Montreal at all, so the fact that they're kind of using him in two different ways is really interesting. I guess they were already doing that with James Butler when he was there, so maybe that was the plan all along. So it's still encouraging. I'm still not sure about their offensive line. I think Nathan does a really good job of mitigating all that pressure that he gets on him, and with William Standback getting involved, now maybe they can have Maybe they won't have explosive runs, but they'll have enough to kind of keep the defense guessing a little bit and they'll be able to work play action. So I mean the Jacy's what. I don't know. Yes, maybe William Standback's not the perfect answer, but I think he is answer that they can at least rely on a little bit.
Speaker 2: In terms of.
Speaker 1: You know, I kind of miss when we were out of town, you know, the whole signing and the salary thing and the Vernon thing.
Speaker 2: Way do we do with that? He's on the man.
Speaker 1: I think I saw today and that Campbell said they'd like be a to kind of dress a second, you know, backup here, whatever going in? I mean, full steam ahead with Nathan, what do you do with Vernon? I just kind of thoughts on that whole thing because I want to get your thoughts on the Red Blacks as well. But I mean, like, this is really now you bring it in bets and I think I saw two more guys the Lions are signing. I mean, this is as all in as you could be for someone that screamed for the Mariners to go all in for decades. I mean this is about Does this feel like this is make or break right now for the Lions?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, absolutely. They're going for broke and I think they're just willing to pay a luxury tax down the line. They don't care if they're going all in. It is a little bit like Montreal last season, but Montreal was more quiet and methodical, where it was Okay, well Sank, He's coming on board. Okay, now Lemon's starting to get hot, and then we brought him on board. It wasn't as publicized obviously, with the lines, of course, it's gonna be huge. It's like you're bringing back the defensive player of the year. You're bringing back this golden boy back into the fold. Of course, it's going to be very publicized. It's in your building. Montreal was a lot quieter and they were a lot more undervalue too. Montreal we all thought was just gonna be a five hundred team and they might win a playoff game, but there wasn't really any expectation there. BC has all the expectation. They have everything to lose and not a lot of game. If they don't make the Great Cup. I think it's a field season. If they don't make the Great Cup. I think that's the expectation, and I understand why. I do think that they have a chance. I mean, they're lucky that they play in the West because the West has just been an absolute mess this entire city. So even with the five game losing streak, they're still right there. Yes, they lost the tiebreaker of the win Pig. That's unfortunate, so they kind of have to hope things don't go well there, which depending on zach Klar's status, we'll see. But they they're very much at it. They but they have to They still need to get that one seat. They have to get that one seat if they want this to pay off.
Speaker 2: In terms of.
Speaker 1: The physicality of the team, I know far Had, I like these little post games.
Speaker 2: He's doing these little little que's.
Speaker 1: He's like talking about the physicality, talking about the tackling, talking about the defense.
Speaker 2: Things I I hammered on and not.
Speaker 1: That I think they think they're pretty obvious when we're like missing wide up and receivers and things on defense, But like for that side of it, because to me, you can bring to Nathan and do all the you know, I'll score all the points in the world, but if you're not holding the team. It was like last week, they just all the way, just ran all over BC. Thoughts on that side of it, and I guess we'll talk to red blocks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's the thing. If if Bets could supply a pass rush, which I absolutely he already got a sack in this game, you absolutely can If they can have more of a pass rush and play from in front they have all the potential in the world, but playing from behind, this is where the team gets in trouble. I don't know what's going to happen if they get in an environment where they have to start running the ball and they can't throw it as proficiently as they want to. I win a peg in the middle of November, they have to. Again, that's a dangerous game that they're playing. So that's why I'm saying they have to get that one seats, because the physical elements are not there for them to play in harsh weather like that. This is very much a dome team, and I know that's seen as a slight in football. I get it because it implies that you're soft as far as being able to play outdoors. I don't think that's the case for every single dome team. I think it's just the way that certainly the Lions, unfortunately are the stereotypical definition of a dome team. I'm sorry to say, but that's not to say they can't win. They just have to be able to force other team's hands. Like Ottawa just kind of ran out of answers. They seemed scattered after the first half. They really did have much of a Even with Drew Brown's performances this year, it just seemed like it was too much for them to handle. Their defense got scorched by this BC attack. So if they, like I said, if they play a certain way, I thought they'll be fine. But not every opponent's gonna let them play that way.
Speaker 1: No, he reminds me of I think it was yesterday I saw there, like, you know, Jared Goff's schedule this season, and it was like Dome, Dome, Dome, Dome by Dome Dome, Lamba Field Dome.
Speaker 2: Don't You're like, you know, maybe hey, they paid him the money.
Speaker 1: Like if you know your quarterback is going to play in the dome eighty percent of the time, let's.
Speaker 2: Talk Ottawa here.
Speaker 1: I was like it was so funny. I'm like, oh yeah, Richard l oh yeah yeah, remember that like fake punt.
Speaker 2: That was kind of exciting. Rigie lady.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: We had the news today, all right, Armstead getting let go right, Odawa bringing in and you back right? Did I track all that? I was kind of catching up today after being out of town.
Speaker 3: Yeah, interesting point there. I you know, for Armstead, he's had again, like I thought he was having a pretty solid season, but obviously had that game where he got kicked out in the first half after having the two misconduct penalties. I'm trying to remember exactly which opponent that was Calgary. It was against Calgary, and I don't know. Maybe they just haven't really found a way to use him. Obviously, Drew Brown has been relied on a lot, and he's come through in a lot of situations. They haven't had to use the running game as much. I still believe in his talent a lot. In fact, I think PC should start looking at him because I do believe that he would supply a nice change of pace to stand back. I really, I do believe that. I think he actually would be a good addition. But for whatever reason, maybe him and Bob Dice just did not get along. He was the lead back, so clearly whatever transition here. I mean, I know he's been in and out of the lineup a little bit, so maybe it was just from a consistency standpoint. But I'm not shocked, Like I'm not shocked by it. I'm a little bit surprised, maybe just because I think it's a bit of a risky move to do that when you're already an above five hundred team and things have been going pretty well for you, but maybe Ottawa just thought it wasn't going to really last the rest of the season.
Speaker 2: I like, how, yeah, bring him into BC.
Speaker 1: I like how I think it was it two years ago we're like, is BC buying the Gray Cup because they had named him more like the rookie deal, and then they were not, you know, okay, we got paid lug, Why yeah, I can make.
Speaker 2: Can Hatcher, we gotta do all that stuff.
Speaker 1: And then now it's like they're still doing that bark like I mean not this season obviously, like eight hundred thousand dollars. I like that, like Amarge just bringing in let's bring an armstead, uh Brown, you know I Ottawa's looks really good because you know, I keep It's one of those things I'm like, I get into this a lot with like Dorothy when we're talking about like, you know, whatever sports could be, Hockey could be, NFL could be whatever, And she's like, oh, like, aren't the I thought the Lions.
Speaker 2: Weren't good And you're like the Detroit.
Speaker 1: Lions just like like, well, no, they're kind of good now, right. It's kind of that way with me with Ottawa, where I'm like, oh, I mean they are here, I mean seven and three. Second in the west, I mean there are excuse me, second in the east above Toronto.
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 1: I'm amazed to see Montreal already with a playoff clinch here with the next on that, I guess it shouldn't be that surprising. But that's just on Ottaway as a hole here as we're kind of, you know, past the liborty part of the season.
Speaker 3: They're scrappy, man. And look, I I know John Hodge has been putting this stat out every single week. He is befuddled by the fact that this team has a minus point differential. It somehow has a way above five hundred record. But look, they played really well at home. Again, they play exceptionally well at home. They get blown out on the road, They've gotten absolutely boat raced on the road, but at home for whatever reason, and it just got some home cooking going on there. Maybe you could argue that for the command center and that tie because Saskatchewan. I'm sure some Rider fans would attest to that. But look, this seems scrappy. I really like what Drew Brown has done. He just finds a way to use all of his playmakers, when Khalil Pimpleton's ever in the lineup, when Justin Hardy's in there, who also got nicked up. So you know, some of their playmakers are also starting to get hurt here, which maybe is starting to affect their offense. But no, I mean they're just scrappy. They're winning close games this year that they weren't last year. I was very critical of Bob Dice in his operation as lack of game management skills last year. Well, they've improved a lot, especially at home. They've gotten a lot better at that and take advantage of that. If Ottawa can somehow host a playoff game this year, I think that would be a tremendous success. It'd be great. It'd be all I mean, I think from here on out all great for them because there really wasn't any expectation, but they get that. I mean, that's a humongous success, it really is. And I'd be over the moon for those fans, because those Autawa fans, despite everything that's been going on in the CFL, whether it's financially or whether it's you know, transitioning pieces coming out of COVID, those fans kept showing up somehow, some way, even in terrible weather, they those fans would still show up. So all credit to them. I think they absolutely deserve to have a playoff game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just remember I think it was the first season we were covering like where I was really because now I've kind of given up on like watching a lot of the games like real time, Like I'll just devote Monday or today too, say that's kind of my catchup. I just can't like because then I'm why, I'm like, okay, well I'm just wasted, Like let me just kind of consolidate my efforts on this step. But I remember I watching some of those, Yeah, like the Thursday right now game in autumn with like eight hundred people like this is but hey, you know it's a far cry from all that. Anything else on this I want we might go a little bit over the hour.
Speaker 2: I know, you have to work.
Speaker 1: I hear a little bit anything else on that game where we can start moving towards the big Labor Day classic.
Speaker 3: I mean, again, can this be a launch pad for PC? That's really the question here, is this is the start of something, at the start of a new streak. That's really the biggest question. I have coming out of this. I think it can be we'll see, but I mean they had to stop the freight train for running off the tracks any further. It was starting to get really dire.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so let's go here again.
Speaker 1: We've used this joke already somehow Palpatine return to Winnipeg, back here leading the I just tweeted last night. I think it was last whatever it was pain and all that kind of going on. Clara's right got knocked out of the games. Trevor had to finish that as Saskatchewan missed either field goal kick there at the end didn't have the distance. I group Chatty dam like I would have been very upset if I was a rough Righter fan. I think we came back and lost that game when the kick thoughts on this one, I mean, this always delivers, like used that big, huge crowd that really rockets environment in Saskatchewan.
Speaker 3: The Sasketchwe team is just snake bit. I don't know what it is, but they just have found a way to lose or tie in these last weeks. It's really unfortunate for them. I mean, they've had just some of the most heartbreaking losses I've seen from a team in the stretch that I can remember. I mean, you lose, You lose to Montreal because Bret Laher goes three for seven on field goals even though you play it really an outstanding game, and then obviously did he did he not step out of bounds play by David Alexander. You go to Ottawa and I quite frankly, I'm going to be on rough Rider fans. I think they got a win stolen from them, although I would say both teams got to win stolen from them by the command center. But you know, we don't have to get into that any further than that's already been discussed. I mean, you keep losing these close games. Game in gave out. Even with Trevor Harris back, who's playing very well, is complete, your percentage is really high. He's getting a lot of yards. I would have thought that was the magic formula to start playing better. And for some reason, since he's come back to the lineup, they stopped playing defense. It's like they played only could play defense when Jaye Patterson's in there, but as soon as rubber Hair steps on the field, they're like, well he's got it, so we don't have to try it. It's really unfortunate because I mean Zach Laros, who was playing outstanding the first half. I think that was the best half you've played all year, gets knocked Out's Chris Trevelick comes in. You can't throw the ball pass five yards and you're thinking, oh, they got a chance, like they can start honding in on him. The end of this game was nuts. I'm not sure if anyone watched the sequence at the end of this game, but it was absolutely out of control. You have a case where Saskatchewan is driving to tie the game and get a touchdown on a two point conversion. Somehow managed to get a two point conversion off penalty. Then they get or sorry, they get the touchdown, they don't get the two point conversion. You're thinking, there's fourteen seconds left. You're like, well, there's no way get an on sidekick, and you're like, oh my god, in.
Speaker 1: Saying on sidekick with what's is Willie Jefferson, right, try to try to grab it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Willie Jefferson trying to get it. Doesn't happen. They get the ball, Harris immediately throws a pick. Then there's a flag for pass interference. Yeah, and then they get in the field goal range. Here comes Lawhert, but it's sixty yards out. You're thinking, can this get there? You see the ball go up and it's online. You're like, oh my god, are they going to win this game? And it falls short. It's like the biggest teas in the world. I just want I just wanted to say all that, because yeah, it was just a whirlwind and that's been unfortunately for Sketch one. They have just been on the wrong end of the whirlwind the last six weeks.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: And it was a weird game because like Mario Alford, right, he missed one of the kickoffs and they got the touchdown off that. I mean, it was just kind of a sloppy game that way. In general, I thought, Saskatchewan, Yeah, we've always said this with Winnipeg, like you really have to play It's like you're playing the Chiefs. You really got to play a really near perfect game, right, You can't give them any of that kind of stuff. And you look back at that, if Mario, if Alfred hadn't babbled that, and he's so like he's so reliable and electric and gets you like, you know, but there you go. You know, you give them seven points right, it's it's it's something that to keep in mind there. And then yeah, the kick and Lucky White, hey catching it. I mean, the whole thing was really tremendously exciting. And yeah it was because I obviously knew that the Winnipeg took the win.
Speaker 2: There, we'll see.
Speaker 1: I mean, Saskatchwan, they really seem to always trade back and forth. I feel like it was that way last year too. But I think Saskatchewan kind of really fell off the cliff last year following the manageable It's like they lost seven in a row or whatever after that.
Speaker 2: So hopefully they don't with that.
Speaker 1: But yeah, the Trevor Harris thing, I think it was with the offer and where we were, you know, lost the ball in the end zone, like Trevor Harris like putting his helmet on, and this is like, oh, okay, not doing not doing that right now. So anyway, Yeah, I really really crazy game here. As I break my microphone, I'm not quite sure what I did there.
Speaker 3: Yeah. No, And for for Winnipeg, I mean they they just escaped by the skin of their teeth. But see, the that's the opposite team. Everything's coming up roases for them. Recently, they're winning these close games. They're getting outstanding defensive efforts now here. Of course, obviously they gave up a lot of passing yards. But this has been again, this is a zombie team. They just somehow find a way to keep in the games. They stay around, and this team will not die. They're like you said, you can't really play a bad game against them, because if you do, you're not gonna win. Although Toronto somehow managed to get one of those weird squeaker width against them, But other than that, things have been working really well for Winnipeg the last few weeks. You have to wonder about their offense though. If Zach Lauss is out for any extended period of time, I mean, this offense just kind of dies with Streggling. I like Streggler as a run option, but as far as being the main sickle color and just it's really it's just really stymied. And then Brady ell Evre can't get involved. It's it's really tough to kind of continue the attack that way. So for Winnipeg is just about health. Can they stay healthy and can they keep you know, can they keep Kenny Lawler in there? Can they keep Nick Demsky. Can they keep their guys healthy enough to be able to get to the season, because it was really a struggle the first month, and a lot of it because of injuries.
Speaker 1: You dered vat did him in the ath later on, like the whole Wow, we didn't want we didn't keep Drew Brown, right, we didn't keep like a true backup where you look at you look at BC and we talk about you know, work goes down, VA comes in. Obviously not quite a bit, but it's just similar, right, I mean they played that similar run. I mean, you obviously love Vernon and everything with the Oregon Like, I don't know, I just I'm curious that way, Like you said, Streveler can't come in and throw the ball more than ten yards on the field, Like, I don't know if that would be something just something to keep in mind here. I know, Claire, I think Jeff Hamilton was saying, I think they're off today and then they were gonna practice tomorrow. I was trying to get some reports of kind of all that stuff. But yeah, certainly interesting anything else on this one.
Speaker 3: No, I just for me again, I just feel for rough Rider fans. Honestly, I know they're a rowdy bunch, but this is all I mean, this is awful. At this point. You just know you don't know if you can win these close games. And they've seen deja buf in the past two years, like you said, losing seven games in a row down the stretch and missing the playoffs altogether after you had a pretty decent start. Again, you know, it's up to Corey Mace to really kind of figure out what's the problem here. And again I don't think it's quarterback play because Trevor Harris has been really good coming back from injury. I like the offense in general, the receivers and everything, but just something goes off this again, this defense just gives up these huge plays for some reason, even though they had it all figured out for about a month. So I don't know what consistency wise, it's just one thing or another and they just have to find a way to hold strong in the last quarter.
Speaker 2: Let's get out here.
Speaker 1: So this is exciting, and like I said that, Jason will actually be like, hey, you know, going to the game, this was like a sellout. I think like James has a comment here and they chat. You know, great crowds this weekend. I think, yeah, Hamilton, what were they like two in what were they two and two and nine before the weekend they get to obviously get to win. I'm like, heck, yeah, man, sellout, show out, beautiful day.
Speaker 2: Labor Day, hanging out in the hammer. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think Marshall Ferguson was talking on there. Jack, do you have any comments on the I guess well, I was made the joke Jack Kelly immediately comes out there as an interception that was if you're on your anti RGOs bandwagon, that was exciting. But we're getting the no means no chance and the signs and stuff like.
Speaker 2: Are we okay with Like what's your thoughts on that?
Speaker 1: Because I'm kind of curious, like just how prevalent this has remained since Chad came back. And then obviously thoughts on the game we can segue into.
Speaker 3: I mean, the CFL decided to play that game. They're hoping it just dies out eventually. I don't know if they're playing the long game here. And so with the argos, the argos just said we're hitching our wagon to Chad Kelly, and by gones speak bygones as far as what the determination is on who he is as a person. It's not a great look for them, and it's not a great look for the CFL. But they're they're just sort of playing again. They're kind of playing a long game here, and I know that's bad to say, but that's just sort of reality as far as what his reputation is and the NFL has done notorious have been known for doing that with their players too, and who get into certain situations like this. But for Chad Kelly, I mean, he played a much better after the first quarter. The first quarter was terrible. He played a lot better after that. But I don't know what it is about the Toronto team getting these huge deficits against Hamilton on the road. This is the second time this has happened the season, and with cam Duke's is one thing. And some of the airs they made, like the fumble overturn touchdown that game was tough, but Hamilton just jumps all over them, and once again Toronto tries a furious rally, it falls short, and now here they are their third place in the East behind Ottawa, and you're wondering are they going to be able to have the horses to get that playoff game. I think they can I do believe that Chad Kelly is not really the issue here because I do think he supplies a passing game now down the field, especially that they've been lacking all season. But yeah, there's just I mean, you can see that the depth on the Toronto roster isn't there when they have injuries. This year, they are having a harder time replacing those pieces. Last year, they had all the depth in the world, didn't matter who was in there. They could plug in whoever and it didn't matter. This year it's been a different case. And even it gets a team like Hamilton who has been in the basement all year long, somehow steps up. And also credit to Boldie by Mitchell. I mean once again he was outstanding.
Speaker 2: He's seen well we'll talk, Yeah, I kind of that's.
Speaker 3: Okay, but that's the But that's the thing. It's like Toronto, I think just is having a tough time really kind of moving the pieces around when they need to, and for them, it's I think it's a bad loss. I really believe that they should have won this game. They were favored by five, there was minus five and edding, like I thought they were going to easily cover that. If you had asked me of the most safe bet I would have told you going this weekend would have been Toronto minus five because I really believed that they were going to come back with a vengeance with Chad Kelly and toe with everything involved Labor Day. I really thought they were going to come and just play the SmackDown on Hamilton, and I mean they pulled the reverse Uno card jokes on us.
Speaker 2: Well, and it was it was just weird.
Speaker 1: And I know, Chad's kind of getting his way back in and obviously we you talked to Nathan Worke getting the you know, figuring out getting back to the CFL and all that, But like even when he was running, it just kind of felt like he got to a point where it's like I got to just take this game over. And he was just kind of like running down the field and kind of just trying to get any yard that he could. Like he just felt like, you know, yeah, we're gonna lose. You know, we should be winning this game. We're gonna lose this game. Like I got to take things into my own hands. What's he got here?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: Twenty four, thirty three, twenty two. But he I felt like he just ran, you know, thirty nine yard treer. I just felt like he was any of the highlights I saw, he was just kind of scurrying around for that with the Okay this season in a game here where bo is twenty of thirty three forty seven two touchdowns, he was benched earlier this season? What the heck is going on with that? And then I want to get obviously Tallua tug of Volola here with that getting the rushing touchdown, that was cool.
Speaker 2: But this bow LEVI I think I don't know what the heck is going on there in Hamilton.
Speaker 3: There's no plan, That's what's going on. They fired their defensive coordinator, they fired their special teams coordinator. I don't know. Maybe they can fire the water boy next. I'm not sure what's going on in the Hamvertown. But nothing's really worked out for them from any standpoint outside of maybe bow Lee by putting on some great numbers, but he was benched. I really my thought in the moment was this is not the reason why they have the record of U Their defense was atrocious. It still gave up a lot of yards in the second half. That's Chris Jones led unit gave up a lot of yards in the second half, but they still just they're incomplete. They don't really have they don't have a returner. I mean they've been trying to figure out somebody to repeat or replace Tyreek McAllister, who's gonna I think is gonna wreck shop and with the Raiders this year, he looks great in preseason, they don't. They never really found a replacement for him. I just don't know what the ty Cat's plan is outside of bow Lee by just chucking it down the field, which at time, which at times works, I mean it does work, but without James Butler in the lineup. That's the other thing. James Butler gets bench. Greg Bell comes in, and I mean he played played well, but like I just never seems like there's it's kind of just like three sheets to the win. Like, let's see what happens at Hamilton. I mean, Tim White obviously had a fantastic game. Great for him. He obviously it's come back from where he was earlier in the season. But I don't know, Hamilton is just so it's so weird and ham fisted. It's just kind of like a one note offense. And good for bow LEVI like I said, he's playing outstanding. He's leading the league, and so he's leading the league in yards and touchdowns, Like he's playing outstanding considering all that he's gone through the last four years. But I just don't understand what Hamilton's plan is with Well, let's just throw in Taylor Powell and see what happens. Like if you're gonna have a developmental project, have a developmental project and I don't know, don't have bow leave I come back this season Again, there really didn't seem like there was a rhyme or reason to what they were doing this year, and it's kind of showed for the most part.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's like the brave part.
Speaker 1: I'm like, oh yeah, Chris Jones is over there as well, because it feels like a lifetime ago where they brought that signing in there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I know.
Speaker 1: The bow LEVI kind of feels like the Kirk Cousins things like Kirk's you know he's on pace for forty two's like yeah, but the team is go do whatever he wants to, Like, it doesn't not gonna make a difference. Do you want to shout out Tagabola here and getting the rushing touchdown right to his brother.
Speaker 3: Is it yep, it's to his brother. It's Talia. I mean he was just throwing touchdown passes in Maryland like ten you know, ten months ago Talia was And that's great for him see him get such early action, A nice little read option, play fake there on the goal line, you get that touchdown run. I don't know how much they're gonna involve him in the offense, but if they're gonna do stuff like that, you know, all the power to them. I think it's great to see him get such early action. So I mean it's a it's a project thing, right, like you have these developmental projects, especially with quarterbacks in the CFL, where you don't really know what they can do early on in their careers. This first year is really tough learning the offense. We'll see if he keeps this as a long term prospect or if he finds who knows, if he finds a job down south. Maybe maybe you can poke Mike McDaniels a little bit and say like, hey, you know, it's all in the family, right, you know, keep keep him down there behind Tua. But I think for him it's great to see. We like to see names like this get involved. So but like I said, happy for Hussey, you know, good for Hamilton. They they haven't had a lot to celebrate this year, but for some reason, they just absolutely own the argos at home this year. For whatever reason.
Speaker 1: Uh, well they go, let's get into the last one here, you know, and they've been a lot of and your boy, and was this the turning point? Was Andy going up to Edmonton that used to off the top. You go in to Edmonton that turned around in the season here. Uh you know, makaw about the Thompson looks like the greatest quarterback in the world. I mean, what is your thoughts on this? Edmonton's still sitting at four and eight, which is kind of surprising just given kind of that it's not kicking and they gave the Calgary there, but that thoughts on this one? A Calgary dropping one at home to a pretty packed at McMahon Stadium.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's what happens when you start off the season oh and seven. You you kind of dig a giant hole. But as I said, you're only two games behind Winnipeg first place. So Edmonton's in it. They have a chance to be in it. They've won four out of five and I do think their defense has gotten better. McCloud. Bethel Thompson played one of his best games ever. He was outstanding. Kevin Jones also was just fantastic run after catch, he was, Oh my god, he was incredible. That that dagger throw that they had at the end of the game when they when Calgary was starting to come back and they're only down by seven, and then they just throw that bomb and it just silences the crowd like that was it. It just stones throw from MBT Uh.
Speaker 1: Well god, because yeah, it got really kind of you know, you kind of thought like, oh no, this is.
Speaker 2: This is getting out of here. You know, they're coming back.
Speaker 3: And Calgary's won those games at home this year. They've did that. Gau's Winnipeg that he gets it's Toronto, like they're not they're not dead in the water when they're at home. But to Edmonton's credit, they just kept throwing. And I mean you have three receivers here getting over one hundred yards, which is just bonkers. I really just I'm impressed with what Edmonton's done recently with or without trey Ford. I mean, obviously tray Ford added I think it was just such a breath of fresh air, and I think his injury is unfortunate. But this version of mclott Bethel Thompson that's come back in the lineup has been a lot more calmer, and I think they're just not as I mean, I know he threw for a lot of yards here, but it doesn't seem like he's stretching as much. I do think that they figured something out here, and I think the team is also starting to believe, like, hey, they're not out of it. I think they were just so demoralized by all the close losses. Again, it's kind of like what the Sketchwan's going through right now. At what point you say, oh my god, what is this going to stop? And I think that first win in Saskatchewan really jump started them and really started to get them to believe that maybe there was something to fight for. And like I said, they're not that far out of.
Speaker 2: It I have seen.
Speaker 1: And maybe it's just because my Twitter here seeing a lot of people call for Jake Mayer's head here a little bit, and like, right, Schiltz to backup, we need to start shields here going on like thoughts on this, because I mean, Jake was playing his ass off I mean he had a couple of bad interceptions there. I mean, I'm four, but a couple of those who were it felt like garbage kind of time. We're just we're hugging it down, We're trying to go. They're hitting people's hands, it's bobbling in the air, they're catching it like.
Speaker 2: Thoughts on that.
Speaker 1: I mean, it just feels like people have kind of he's the guy for Calgary.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean, if you're arguing what it's like with bow Levi Mitchell, where you can argue, well, there's a lot of empty calorie throws that are going on in that offense. I mean it's been kind of that way with Jake Mayor this year too. Again. I mean, he's second in the league in passing yards and he's got fifteen touchdown passes, and they are, you know, fourth place in the West. Like they but I just think this roster overall needs to get overhauled. They just don't have the talent to keep up with a lot of these other teams. I think they could. It's potentially they could end up being the worst team in the league this year. And Jake Mayor, I hate to say this, he might be either the least exciting or the most low end starter in the entire league, because if you go through every other roster, and you go through every other quarterback room with everybody else involved, you just don't really know what's there. There was excitement around him a couple of years ago, and you thought maybe there was potential for him to be one of those top end starters, but that growth hasn't come. You know, you've seen we've seen if the Chardo take a step obviously, Chad Kelly took a step last year. You've seen Bern seen Nathan Rourke, You've seen you know, Kolaros, You've seen Drew Brown. I mean, you've seen a lot of the other guys step up and be something for their team. Jake Mayor just hasn't have that happened, And unfortunately for for Dave Dickinson. Yeah, Dave Dickinson, I mean he he tied his wagon to Jake Mayer and they shipped bow out of time and said, well, this is the future. Well the future has been pretty bleak the last season and a half, and you have to wonder what's going to happen to both of them in the offseason if it keeps going this way because this has been really dour for Calgary. And again, I just think their roster overall is it's just really lacking in resources.
Speaker 1: I always remember, because it's not Craig with Calgary, it's Day with Calgary.
Speaker 2: I always remember that everyone. I mean, I'm looking here.
Speaker 1: I mean, other than this is updated, but he's fifteen touchdowns to eleven interceptions here on the CFL About cbsites, I mean, you know you're talking about fifteen touchdown passes all you want, but I mean again, it may be some Garb time interception is in there. But where I lost my I don't even know where the game is here. Let's go back to that. I don't know anyway, We'll see with Calgary with all that stuff, anything else with that, anything else with any.
Speaker 2: Of these games. I know you got to get to work here after this. I don't want to take too long.
Speaker 3: I just you know, I think it's gonna be really interesting in the West. This West race is really fascinating. I don't think BC's I think BC could potentially have new life here, but they're gonna be scrapping and clawing at the down the stretch here for the East, I mean you got some interesting games coming up here, especially this weekend. BC going to Montreal is not fine. That sucks.
Speaker 2: This is it. You want to be Nathan. This is it, buddy, this is it.
Speaker 3: If Nathan pulls this off, I think you got a new narrative. This is this changes everything. Toronto going to Ottawa. I mean, Toronto needs to win that game if they really want to have hope of being that second seed, because if Ottawa ends up pulling that off, now you're really looking at the second seed for Ottawa, which again is tremendous credit to them. If that's the case, Toronto needs to find a way to turn it around. Sasketchwe also just fighting for their lives. I mean, that would be so demoralizing, losing back to back games against Winnipeg and losing the season series too. The season series is on the line here too. This is a humongous game. The Bandob Bowl is huge on Saturday, maybe one of the most important games the remaining stretch of the season.
Speaker 1: But they normally do, like I feel like, just watch they normally these teams normally split that series. I will, We'll see, because I think last year it was the opposite. Whatever, But you know, it does feel I'd be always I would be curious if you go back ten years who swept the series there of the two game, But maybe maybe I'm making things up in my head.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, Saskatchewan already lost their on their home field. Now you go to IGU field, that's just that's a tough turn around. So we'll we'll see, we'll see what kind of spirits there. And then finally, I think Edmonton can really put the stake in the Calgary and really assume that they have a chance in this race. You know, whether or not MPT or tray Ford keeps playing. I do think that their crowd's gonna be a little bit more behind it. Their home crowd finally gets to see more of them. I do believe Edmonton has a chance to get in the playoffs now out. But but it's so tight down the stretch. I think if you're talking about legacy marks, you're talking about Rourke, that's BC. And then with Sasketchwan, if they don't want to lose their minds, they kind of they gotta win that game. There's a lot of I mean, I know it's all seems like they're must wins, but there really are some really critical games coming up this weekend, like absolutely critical.
Speaker 1: Well I think again, and we go back to like, Okay, Ottawa is actually a good team now, but like you know, you just got the snot kicked out of you by Ottawa last week, and I know you came back and Roork kind of got it in it today. Okay, we're kind of get everything together.
Speaker 2: But this is it.
Speaker 1: I mean, you gotta go out and you got to be the really good team because we're the can I scroll down here because then you know after that you're host in Toronto, you're off, you're hosting Hamilton.
Speaker 2: That's a better one than than Calgary. The kind of I mean, you know.
Speaker 1: You just get to the point here where you just can't afford that many more losses, and so I just hope, you know, I mean, they know show up and then they talk, Oh, we got the flights and we gotta go to BC. It's always trouble when they travel east. Then we gotta do the time zones and all that stuff. I mean, I believe the I is as a Mariner fan and as a cracking fan, like we can't win at home or we can't win on the road, I'm like, just please just show up and just be professional.
Speaker 3: Well here's well, here's the other thing. Read Montreal has had a bye week, so they have extra rest, They've had extra time to prepare for BC. Watch the tape on Rourke. BC's a little bit of a short week.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 3: You know, as we say, you know, flack of a better term, not up or shut up, because that's really what's coming up here.
Speaker 2: Well and yeah, and then yeah, we'll talk.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it's a short week. And I mean there's something it's it's hard. I don't know, Dorothy asked me something. It's like, oh, did the Mariners play to them? I'm like, oh, a team that had uniforms show that. I don't know if the professional team showed up today or not.
Speaker 3: We'll see that.
Speaker 2: I Andy, did I make a mistake.
Speaker 1: We're going to Oakland tomorrow to watch the last two games of the as Mariners series at the Coliseum. I'm like, I'm going In a couple of months ago, I'm like, this is gonna be good for us, and now like, oh my.
Speaker 3: God, oh listen. I feel that way every time I go into a podulas seas. It looks good on paper and then you know, a month later my mind changes. But look, man, tell me how that venue is. I've never stepped foot. I've passed in front of that venue before. I've been on the part when Raiders. The Raiders used to play there, which was always just the most frightening scene in my entire life to ever cross in front of. So I'm sure it'll be, you know, not as many kookie characters there, But have fun and let me know if they chant about the.
Speaker 1: Owner, Yes, and we have and we purchase our own we have our own mirror and or sell. Sure it's now I think I wear some of those and maybe we'll have some compadres with you know, with the Oakland and they want to sell, you know, they want their ownership to sell. We want their our ship to sell. The last thing yere I like and subscribe Zach Askin.
Speaker 2: You know, when when we.
Speaker 1: Get back on the schedule, just nothing to talk about right now. So I know we kind of time tend out the top. But when things roll in and we'll get all serious about this getting towards Great Cup and everything else, there's nothing to talk about. I mean, I saw the UFL was hiring the ticket people for Saint Louis. Like, I got eight episodes of this dang podcast. Now I got to edit before I get out of town. We're going to Oakland, so we'll get back on it. But there's just you're not missing nothing right now, there's nothing to talk about. I'm trying to save my mental kind of anguish. I'm doing this. I did look back because I get my Facebook memories and like, I don't know it'd be like two years ago, like I had on like far Han and Milton Steegle.
Speaker 2: And Lily Jefferson and whoever.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, god, I used to put like just a ton of time, Like we're doing what we can.
Speaker 2: Hussy's sick today.
Speaker 1: If Andy hadn't worked out, which I appreciate him hopping on, like we just kick it to next week. It's trying to That's the best we can do right now is try to not lose our minds.
Speaker 2: On all that.
Speaker 1: I like I said, like to subscribe by Andy anything else before we get out of here.
Speaker 3: Uh hang in there, man with Botter Teams Commander Sunday.
Speaker 2: Maybe if we got the Jane Daniels.
Speaker 3: There right here. Hey, I drafted Jada Daniels in my fantasy league. I'm putting my my helps and dreams in him, man, so you'd better show off. That's all I'm gonna say. I really, I'm all in now, I'm all in on him. I am.
Speaker 1: He posted some like TikTok the other day that he was doing. I go, I like this, Okay, he's kind of cool, he's young, He's not a Carson Wentz or I mean, I love Heinekee if he's not any of that stuff. I'm speaking of me, my heine Key to the Chargers. My mom is thrilled, right, is that? Am I making that up in my head?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Swap one XFL for another guy, you know, I think. I mean, they had to make that move. Taylor Henekee getting a really grand opportunity. I mean, I hope not to see him because I don't want Herberd getting out getting injured, But considering the what they had going into camp, I think it's tremendous that they were able to trade for him, and good for him. He plays on a team that I think has a potential. I really do think they have potential to make the playoffs, so good for him, and I think it's just a good situation. Overall.
Speaker 1: Do you think it's funny how there's like Nathan Rourke was the only one they had politics against him, Like he was the only one that the NFL, the politic machine came after him. But you have the BJ and heine Key and Josh Johnson, all these other guys we track all they know. It was just it was the world was just out for Nathan, that is. And again, I like, I'm that sounds like arguing with you have a want. I'm like, I'm a Lions fan, like give you one thing. I'm like, I'm like, I'm the guy I had Nathan on back before he had the historic season because I'm like, you're the guy, so uh Andy, I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Making time.
Speaker 1: Hope Jason feels better. We'll get out of here, like I said, should be here next week. I will let you know if anything changes. Go Commanders and go charge Who are you playing this weekend?
Speaker 2: Go Chargers? You're playing the the.
Speaker 3: Raiders at home in Los Angeles.
Speaker 2: So shy, But then w in the wing call him baby. That'll be good.
Speaker 3: I know better than do that. Read I've been watching the seat for too long.
Speaker 1: But well, and Todd Bowles thinks they're playing the Redskins this weekend. I'm like, Todd, what have you been He's like, oh, we were not playing Jane Daniels. I'm like, have you been been under your rock for like five years now?
Speaker 3: Like, look, man, preparing for a football game. Sorry, the last thing you need to remember is a team name.
Speaker 2: So all right, we'll see everyone next time.