Speaker 1: This is WBZ, Boston's news radio. We defining local news. You know, I don't mean to be inappropriate at six o'clock in the morning, but how is it only Thursday? Huh? Answer me that clear skies and thirty four degrees as we get started together. The News at six is brought to us by your new England Toyota Dealer, your hybrid all wheel drive headquarters. Thanks for being here today. I'm Jeff Brown. Looking good though.
Speaker 2: Boston mostly sunny today.
Speaker 3: It'll be a breezy day with a high at forty eight.
Speaker 1: That is WBZ act you weather meteorologist. Tether's are a slippery slope though coming up this weekend. The sun, though always shines, doesn't it on Red Sox opening Day even if the team is on the road. Wbz's Drew mo'holland finally, good morning, You're ready to go. I'm ready open. It's day.
Speaker 3: Here we go. First pitch, Red Sox and Rangers today, four five. First pitch, Garrett Crochet gets the ball of the Sox new pickup. Excited about that first old friend n Then Avaldi interesting, right, it's gonna be a battle, all right. So Vegas has the Red Sox win total at eighty six and a half.
Speaker 1: I think that's a little low, a little low. I think it's a little low.
Speaker 3: This it's interesting you say that because the odds of the Red Sox making the playoffs you're at like minus one fifty. So that pretty much means that. What that means if you're gonna bet, if you're gonna win one hundred dollars, Yeah, you bet one hundred and fifty. So people think Vegas thinks they're gonna get it, They're gonna make the playoffs.
Speaker 1: Is this a playoff team? I think it might be all right. I mean, it's been a long time since we've been able to say that. First taste four h five today, probably a good idea with the weather that the Red Sox will not be at Fenway Park for another week or so.
Speaker 3: That's always a good idea. It is a good play.
Speaker 1: A seven wins in a row for the Celtics, who clobber the Suns and Phoenix, seven game losing streak for the Bruins, destroyed by the Ducks and Anaheim and March madness resumes today. The Men's Sweet sixteen kicks off tonight. It's a witch hunt says President Trump. The White House continues to do damage control in the fallout of an online chat group which erroneously included a national journalist, and reveal war plans for a bombing run against toothy rebels and Yemen. In a Q and A with reporters, the President focuses on the results of what he calls a very successful military mission and glosses over the leak of what many experts believe is classified information on the public and free signal messaging app. The losses pile up for the White House. A federal of Heels court denies the President's bid from using a wartime law to resume deportation of alleged Venezuelan gang members. The decision stemies the Justice Department's attempts to continue the operation while it fights the lawsuit. Hundreds have been sent to an l Salvador lockup in defiance of a federal court order. The lawsuit claims the Alien Act of seventeen ninety eight is not applicable here, but the deportees were also robbed of due process. Boston is notorious for its bad traffic, not to mention bad drivers, but here's something I bet you probably didn't.
Speaker 4: Know Boston placed first for the safest driving cities in the country.
Speaker 1: That's absurd.
Speaker 4: Why is that Boston is extremely difficult to drive? US News and World Report focused in on cities with the biggest populations and took a look at fatal crash data. Who had the most UY arrests and vehicle thefts.
Speaker 1: I definitely doesn't agree.
Speaker 3: I guess on fifty to fifty, I guess it kind of made sense Oka common Sy though.
Speaker 4: The study finds that Massachusetts had the lowest average number of DUY arrests out of all the cities in the analysis, combined with access to public transportation, leading to its high rank. It I feel like we're known for being bad drivers around here, so I would have expected worse. The least safe cities are Memphis, Albuquerque, Tucson, Arizona, and Detroit. I'm a Friedman w BZ, Boston's news Radio.
Speaker 1: A nice day in Boston today. Mainly sunny, a bit breezy, high temperatures right around fifty. But at this time of the year, when the sun's angle is where it is, it feels a little bit warmer if you're right in the middle of the sunshine, so it's overall one of the better days we're going to see over the next several As clouds start to move in overnight tonight, maybe an isolated shower or two, lows back in the thirties. Tomorrow we might start with some sunshine, but clouds are on the increase, and it's going to be my with highs in the middle fifties, so a little bit above average tomorrow. But as we turn the page on the weekend, it is a very slippery slope. It does not look like it's going to be an award winning weekend at all. In facts, it's going to be chilly, with highs only in the forties, some showers possible both days, and there might be some snowflakes involved as well. Right now in Boston, clear skies thirty four coming up on sunrise at six oh six on this Thursday morning, Atlantic hurricane season is about to whip itself into a frenzy.
Speaker 5: We are still a little more than two months away, but forecasters say this year will look a lot like last year. Last year's hurricane season was one of the most devastating and most costly ever. Experts use less than technical jargon like supercharge to describe it. This year, our partners at ACI Weathers say they expect up to eighteen named storms as many as ten hurricanes, up to five of which could be major. Hurricane season begins on June first. Matt phipps WBZ, Boston's news radio in.
Speaker 1: The final hours before jury selection is set to begin in the Karen Reid murder trial. Read ads an alternate juror from her first trial to her legal team for the second. Victoria George is now on board, and this is perfectly legal. George is a practicing civil attorney in Massachusetts and has limited to no experience in criminal matters. Still, experts say there are many ways she can add insight into Reed's defense. Many also say they've never heard of these kinds of circumstances. Reads retrial in the killing of John O'Keefe begins Tuesday in Norfolk's Superior Courts. Measles continues to run circles around health experts in America. The CDC says the virus has spread now to Kansas, where about two dozen cases have been confirmed. They are believed to be connected to the outbreak in West Texas, which has hit about three hundred and fifty patients there. A recent passenger who hopped on an Amtrak train from Boston to d C is also now being evaluated and treated for measles. Amtrak is doing some contact tracing with any passengers that may have come close to the patient. Also, a new study finds the virus and measles vaccination rates for young children in the US may be far lower than publicly reported. Listen up, A Terror from the Deep is holding court.
Speaker 2: All of those documentaries showing sharks gliding ominously and quietly through the water have been missing one thing, the sounds they actually make. A new study in the journal Royal Society Open Science reveals the first documented case of sharks making noise. Researchers who approach small rig sharks off New Zealand heard clicking noises produced when the fish forcefully snap their spiky flat teeth. Until now, sharks were believed to be silent because they don't have swim bladders, which contain gas and produce sound. Deborah Rodriguez CBS News.
Speaker 1: You are now in the loop. For news updates throughout the day. Listen to WBZ News Radio on the iHeartRadio app. I'm Jeff Brown. WBZ Boston's news radio