Speaker 1: It's not them. I so fantasy sat in the ritial history the gold and tell me you.
Speaker 2: To Warrior returning game for WrestleMania eight. How you doing, mister.
Speaker 3: Mooney doing great? And I'm ready to talk about this one because there was a lot happening with the WWE then and bringing back a lot of memories, taking a look at some of these action that took place in the ring.
Speaker 4: It's gonna be crazy because one of these big rumors about this event was when the Ultimate Warrior did return, it wasn't him because he was so small, And that was the schoolyard rumor for a long time.
Speaker 2: Was did you see the Ultimate Warrior died and.
Speaker 4: They replaced them with someone else to play the Uliman Warrior?
Speaker 2: Did you me hear that? Weird rumor? Because the Internet was not a thing in nineteen ninety two.
Speaker 3: Oh sure, But and I was going to talk about this. I mean, remember when this was nineteen ninety two, and you know, the all the you know, these steroid controversy was really at you know, it was starting to reach peak proportions here and you'll see in the match with Rick Flair, Macho Man is in going through that phase where he's wearing the Spandex shirts, and I do believe there was a reason for that, and and a lot of these guys. So yeah, the it was a kind of right before our eyes, seeing what happens when you can't have a little help, shall we say.
Speaker 4: Just a little I remember that story with mister Perfitt going to put a needle in the war learning.
Speaker 3: There you go, You're good, You're all filled up.
Speaker 2: So possibly that's what's happen here.
Speaker 4: But that's a good topic to bring up because when you see Warriors show up and nobody sees him. His hair is this short, he has no muscle mass whatsoever, he has different makeup on. It's very bizarre because you're right in the steroid trial. It's coming, and steroids are a big deal in the WWF right now, But Hogan's leaving this wrestling Unia is advertised as being Cogan's possible last match. Now, when you were gearing up for this, when you were working for the company, what was the real reason you.
Speaker 2: Think Hoke Cogan was leaving steroids?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think it was just everything that was going on, and he really believed that he was going to you go on to bigger and better, I think, But as we know, you know, Terry also knew deep down how much that company needed him. And I think he always believed that no matter what happened, I can still just pick up that phone, which we saw, you know it It was, you know, very true. But yeah, I just there was a lot happening that besides the steroids and everything, you know, with people questioning Hulco Mania in a lot of ways. You know that the whole thing about eat your vitamins and all this and and Hulkamania was starting to wane a little bit start to wear on people. And I think in some sense that you know, because it's kind of the old wrestling adage that you know, you build a certain storyline to a peak and then you go away and they miss you. How can I miss you if you don't go away? So I think that you know that that had a little something to do with it as well. But I think the the overriding factor though, for for hul Cogan was that he really believed that there was going to be a next level to his career.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you brought up.
Speaker 3: You would always have wrestling, You'd always have wrestling.
Speaker 2: He always, Yeah, he definitely picked up that phone multiple times throughout his career. But oh, that's true. Yeah, Wrestling nine is a big indication of this. The territories.
Speaker 4: I'm so happy you brought that up because everyone always brings up the question of like why did business go down?
Speaker 2: Why did Hull Comania end? And you just said it perfectly.
Speaker 4: Where you have a storyline, it ends, you leave the territory, you go to another territory, you do a kind of a different storyline, you leave that one, you keep going. The WWF is really the first time to prove that there's a company that is lasting beyond territories. We have steady characters that we have been introduced for seven years of Hull Comania. This is the first time and I think in ever did we see wrestlers stick around in a spot longer than just a small storyline or a period Like do you feel like maybe that's why the business goes down because we don't have fresh audience, We don't have fresh characters because we've had the same ones for the past decade.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think that was all part of you know, and Vince had realized earlier on that he was going to have to be able to find talent that could replace Hulkamania. But you know, think about it though, as you just said, I mean it was actually more than seven years at this point that Hulkamania had been running wild. And and to see that because you know, somebody of you know that how giant he was, I mean, it just shows how crazy it was and and the fact that he was able to make it last that long without having to have some major you know, evolvement or becoming something else. And it really did prove that, you know, it was a different world. They really was about the sports entertainment a whole different level from what they've been used to, because, as you said, with the territories, you would have guys go in there, big names, very recognizable. You know, Andre was one of them. You know, all these Sammartino and you know, all these guys that were huge stars. But they would get they'd run these storylines and then it would get kind of stale, and they would they would territories would you know, exchange talent and it would give them a chance to go somewhere new, make new money. Because of course everything was based on gates and so you know, you go there, do this new territory, and that's how these guys got known across the country. They wouldn't if they stayed in that one area all the time. And some there were some that did, but you know, some of the bigger names, the champions, they would exchange guys and be able to keep it fresh. But the WWE was really and I'm sure that a lot of those guys that ran those territories said, yeah, sure, we'll see how long this lasts, because how's he going to be able to do this because it had been done the old way for so long and Vince proved them all wrong. But at this point it was starting to Wayne, as I said, it was starting to fade, and he had found new stars. We had, you know, the ultimate warrior. We had the macho man Randy Savage, who you know, found great success. But until we've seen a couple sins. But at that point in time, nobody could touch Hulk Hogan and hulk Mania, and that was certainly the case. Then the company was not doing well, and which is surprising when we start to talk about wrestlemaniaate here that they would choose such a large venue, the Hoosier Dome, and then because you know, putting sixty plus thousand, and we don't know exactly how many of those were comps, but still you had to get people to show up and be there for it. So it's a great testament that they were able to pull that off because at the time, you know, business was not great, and I remember being in a lot of the house shows. You know, we'd go for TV tapings and you know, there was a guy named Bob Collins who would he was the guy in charge of, you know, the seating, and he was a promotions guy, and you talk about the hardest job in the business. I mean, he would be out there and you know, and these TV tapings would go on and on and on, and we'd have maybe a few thousand people there sometimes and he would be, you know, through the night as people would go home because their kids had to go to school that next day, begetting people to come and move. Hey, you come on, you could sit right up our ring side, you know, to try and fill in on the hard side of the camera to you know, keep the the the illusion alive that there was a that was a very full arena. So it was a fraught time for the WWE, no doubt about it. Steve.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you brought up the gate to where rumors online is the announced number of sixty two thousand, one hundred and sixty seven. Now the rumors is only forty seven thousand were actually sold, so fifty are comped. I find that shocking to believe that online at least the rumor is fifteen thousand people were comped.
Speaker 2: That's an entire arena in some towns.
Speaker 3: Oh, absolutely, no kidding, Uh yeah, I don't think it was that many, but I do believe that they did have to give away a lot, I mean thousands though, to try and you know, fill that place up, no doubt about it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And the territory thing before we before we move on from territories, though, I do want to bring up like Vince Man would find talent from other places, you know, Awa or NWA, and you'd have million dollar man come in and Hacksaw Jim dug in and H'll Billy Jim.
Speaker 2: All these people came from somewhere else first.
Speaker 4: And so now all the territories have closed, the Vince put them out of business. Now there's nowhere to pluck the best talent from anywhere because there's nobody left except for your competition, which is n WA slash WCW. Is that really you think a problem for creating new superstars because now there's nowhere to go to get them, So how do you create them out of thin air?
Speaker 3: Well? And then also keep in mind that now they're going places in uh, getting guaranteed money, uh and also not having to do the grind that you had to have to do with the w w E. And uh. You know, as I said, the w w E at the time had lost its luster a bit, and so it wasn't the you know, the emerald on top of the mountain there that you just wanted to necessarily go. Now they had now they had other options and uh and in a sense, you know, preferred to go somewhere else because they just felt they weren't getting treated fairly where they were, as we'll talk about. You know, Jake was certainly in that situation. Yeah, and you know, so so for the first time, these guys had had other options and leverage, which Vince McMahon was not used to. I mean, you know, just imagine you're the you're this guy that's toileting the AWA and you're mid South or and then you get that phone call from Vince McMahon. Oh you know, and we're gonna say, you know, we've got a ticket for you, come on up here. You get the limos waiting for you at the airport. It was a done deal before the guy got off the phone. But this wasn't necessarily the case. And then in house, you've got all that's going on too. You got the stirrings of these guys who are like, wait a minute, you know, you seeing these other guys go other places to getting money. They're not having to be on the road and be away from their family for all this time. And you we'd seen where you know, like Jesse had tried to organize these guys and man, they shut that down right away. And I think these guys really felt like they they weren't being represented. They were chattel in a way to these guys that you know you and it certainly is the nature of the business. But if I'm going to do that, pay me.
Speaker 2: Yep, especially now too.
Speaker 4: And I love though in wrestling because celebrities have always been involved with WrestleMania. So we have Ruba McIntyre starting off the show. But Bobby Heenan on Commentary's bringing up out Reba must be related to Tito Santana because he.
Speaker 3: Says, oh my god, yeah.
Speaker 2: Will you stop?
Speaker 3: A GIRLA says, and anybody else you would have been, you would have it would have been such a groaner. But with Bobby the way he delivers that stuff, like way you stop, it was absolutely.
Speaker 2: It was so rigging funny.
Speaker 4: But the first matchup of Wressemania eight is Sean Michaels versus Tito Santana. Originally it's supposed to be Sean Michaels Marty Jeannetti the Rock and broke up in early January, but we talked about on our Royal Rumble nineteen ninety two show where Marty gets in trouble with the law, So that means he's not here at this event now. Jenny Jenny was arrested in Tampa for interfering with a police officer while he's underage companion tried to enter a nightclub with a fake ID. Oh, by the way, he was also found with less than one gram of cocaine on him. Yeah, Marty, buddy, that's a lot of bad decisions all.
Speaker 2: In one night.
Speaker 3: That's why he was never known as Marty the Brain. Janetty. So many things wrong there before I go out that night, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my underage girlfriend first, let me ch let.
Speaker 3: Me check her id like how old are you? Which I don't think would have really mattered at the time. It was a different, different world, but goodness, and I don't know how old she was, but I don't know, you know, did she have a driver's license?
Speaker 4: And you show up to the club and brain to get into a plus that's a problem exactly.
Speaker 3: Uh, and then you know it, I would think, And and then you get involved in a confrontation not just with it's not like some doorman, it's it's it's an officer. Uh maybe it was an off duty cop work in the door. I don't know, but whatever, that's even that is just wrong. And then you've got cocaine on you too, Like how bad do I wanta f up? You know that I've got one of the greatest jobs in the world. I don't know how much longer they're gonna keep me around, but I know this is a good angle, so I could probably get, you know, a good run out of this. But no, I'm just gonna throw it in the trash heap in one night and make it. Boy, Am I gonna make it good? Uh?
Speaker 1: Big?
Speaker 3: You know? Yeah, I mean he could have ended up in jail for months. They could have thrown the book at it. I'm sure that you know that lawyers got involved and it wasn't necessarily that they were being compassionate, but it was he makes the company look bad. So I think he got a suspended sentence in house arrests or something like that. But what can you say? Yeah, and time and time again, it wasn't like he hadn't been given chances and just didn't learn and uh, you know, it's it's we've had We've had this discussion before, Steve that how talented I thought that Marty Jeanetti was just I felt he was, you know, certainly on the same level of Sean, maybe even better initially, and and it just the demons got him and he because there's no reason why he couldn't be a legend and helping guys in the WWE become great superstars instead of being kind of an afterthought of what could have been.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you have Sean Michael's training XC wrestlers, the future of the W of Marginetti doing Mary Jetty things, and it's it's sad that this happened. But Seawn Michael is this is he starts off Russemania eight in the match trust Me and not he actually kicks off that event as well, where he was also supposed to fight marjor Ennny, but Marjornni got in trouble.
Speaker 2: Again, so we fought to Tanka at that event.
Speaker 4: So it's just not a it's not working out for Marty anytime soon, but for you in the time the w WF. Do you ever hear how the first match of any event was very important to get the audience into it or is that just a wise tale like we've heard of the year.
Speaker 3: No? No, no, that was always a philosophy. And I remember in those meetings, because you know, we would have these every all hands on deck, we have these meetings. Everybody was there that was involved with anything that was going on, and that was very organized, and I just always remember Vince talking about that's the second those you know, that's you know, the whole thing where they would jack the audience up and Howard would go out there and count him down and so they'd pop when we hit and uh and and part of that, you know, some of them like it might be a dark match coming in. But no matter what it was, first match that was on the pay per view, even the you know, the warm up match, same thing. If they didn't, you know, they would make those really great matches because they wanted people ready to go. They wanted that energy. They didn't want it to have to start once we hit air. They wanted it to have already started. And uh yeah, and Vince, I remember that vividly. And I also remember him always saying nothing can go wrong, and I love that about the way he went into it. Now we all knew that things wrong, of course, but the philosophy of it that that, and I've carried it in me to this day that it just makes you always prepared, that that you you know it's in the back there that some something wild can happen, and what are you gonna do? And I've tried to pass this on to other people that I've worked with. You know, I like stupid things that you know, like you're doing a live shot, which I've done thousands of them, and I've always been old school. I would have still even back then, I would have notes, but I'd like do bullet points on a on a legal pad and have them in front of me in case everything just blew up. I still knew that I had somewhere to go, and that philosophy came from Vince McMahon, that nothing can go wrong if you always have that in your brain. You're not just gonna go ah and run off camera. You know you're gonna figure it out. And so, uh, you know that was always part of those events. But yes, absolutely that that energy wanted, that energy level that the second you hit second you hit it. If you're at home and you're sitting in the living room, you're going God, I wish I was there.
Speaker 4: It was all again when Tino Santiina comes down first and his music hits, the crowd of erupts like they're not they're interested in the El Manador character. I know some people say, oh, I don't like that version of Tito. I love all versions of Tito.
Speaker 3: I do too. And it also put him over big time, more than any other time.
Speaker 2: He gave a character.
Speaker 4: He was no longer the force gear from nineteen eighty eight, like he finally had something going on for himself, and you know, he wasn't any champion.
Speaker 3: And I love I loved Tito. I love today. And I was so happy when I was at WrestleMania last year, I got to see him and he you know, he hasn't changed a bit and it's so down to earth and so I was very happy to see him in a match like this. And it shows you the trust that Vince had at him, because you know, they at this point, Sean's going to have a solo care and they are very excited about it. They feel like he's can definitely pull it off. But when you're going to go out there and this was really, you know, one of the first big matches that he would have that they would trust to have Tito Santana out there, an incredible professional and was going to make it a good match. And uh and and that Sean would have that confidence out there having somebody like that, a seasoned veteran who was going to take care of him, and Tito did.
Speaker 4: Heah a fun fact too. It's the next pay per review Summerson ninety two. Shaw Michaels takes on Rick the Model Martelle, both Strike Force members.
Speaker 2: He fights back on back to back pay per views.
Speaker 4: By the end of the year, shaw Michaels is the Intercontinental Champion, taking on Brett Hart, who is the world champion at Survivors Series nineteen ninety two. So that's just only two pay per views away, which is great to see. But moving on Undertaker versus Jake the Snake Roberts, we don't know the Undertaker's streak exists yet. He only beat Jimmy Snooker at Usmania seven, but he's not always fighting Jake the Snake Roberts, who is one of my favorites going into this pew But unfortunately this is the last time we see Jake until nineteen ninety six. To snick, Roberts wanted to transition into being backstage creative booking. Pat Pattinson recently left the WWF for uh, they say, personal reasons, but if you go online, it's there's a lot of deep, deep, deep stuff going on right here.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, that's another conversation something.
Speaker 2: That's a two hour podcast.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Because vincick Man denied the request for Jake to take over Pat Pattinson's position in the committee for doing Creative Well, Jake is pissed off. He demands his release. Visc Man says, you know, I can't do that like you. Jake the Snake Robberts like, we can just let you go. Well, Vincick finally agreed under pressure, finally you can leave after your Estumantia eight match.
Speaker 2: So as soon as Jake the Snake Roberts leaves this match, he's done.
Speaker 4: He leaves, but he honors the tradition of putting over talent when you leave a territory, and Jake puts over on a taker clean not just one tombstone on the outside of the ring, but then on the inside of this ring as well. Man talk about a sad moment for me. It was very upsetting to see Jake lee. For you in the company where you shocked that Jake to Snake Roberts, he wanted something so bad that he put his foot down and he's.
Speaker 3: Gone, yeah, yeah, absolutely, Because you know, Jake was one of the best, There's no question about it. We've discussed his ability in front of a camera, which I think is you know, as far as promos go, he's top five in my world. Yeah, and he was such a talented performer and did you know, and I don't you know where he's He's another example of those guys that you wouldn't expect him to be so good his physique wasn't tremendous. He had these you know, the guys used to make fun of his arms, you know.
Speaker 2: Was on steroids. I'll tell you that.
Speaker 3: No, he didn't, and lived a you know, hard life outside of the ring. But boy did that guy deliver every time he stepped into it. And uh and it's kind of a shame that, you know, back then, that they didn't take advantage of his booking ability, let's call it, because you know, he he'd grown up in it and and was really good about coming up with stuff to make things work. And and I think he would have been a really great booker. H So, I don't really know why. I mean, okay, so Vince thinks Pat's coming back, fine, but why not add to the Yeah, I mean, you know, you see the writer. You know that at some point, I don't know how many writers they had, but basically that was that triumvirate and and and Bruce was gone at the time, if I recall correctly, and and uh so, I would have thought that you need all the help you can get. And then you've got somebody who know It's the same thing with with Randy where they put him in the broadcast booth. But you know, Jake could have been all of that and also been I think a really good booker. Now you don't know that until they get down to actually doing the job. And I know that, you know, Ted DIBIASI has told me that he'd also been approached about doing things like that, and he said, for me, I could do everything. I could, everything I could work out, I could you know, storylines whatever that. He goes, But trying to do it for someone else or doing I was, I was awful at it, and he goes, I just knew it. I couldn't do it. It was, you know, like trying to play the guitar left handed or something, you know, to him. And so we don't really know, but to have that come down to it, and we've talked about this as well. You know the ages of these guys, and I just for fun kind of looked up where these guys were age wise back then, and you know, most of them their late thirties, the big big time stars, I think Flair was forty two or forty three, and uh, you know at that time.
Speaker 2: You're over the hill, you're a grandpa, like.
Speaker 3: You're still wrestling. Well, we know what that is. Like today, and and you know, the physicality and how to remain in physical good physical shape has changed. But you know, this is where these guys are thinking, okay, I need an off ramp. And and maybe some of it was because they were tired of it. It was a very difficult life to to be on the road and to maybe you know, be corporate and get on the jet and be you know, and then step into the ring once in a while if you had to. That's probably a pretty good idea. But it's just funny to me to think about where you know that they thought that these guys were done, we got we got a couple more years out of me. Great and and it's and you see the you know, the real changing of the guard here. We'll get into it. But when you talked about Jake that you know, the Undertaker is only end with the company for a very short period of time, and look at how he's progressed. And when Jake departs, it's the Undertaker who becomes the new locker room leader and remains that way for the next few decades, which is but he was his progression, his ascension is is pretty amazing that when he gets there and he's just really basically still in many ways a green kid and just catapults too and handles it all very well and just keeps getting better and better and better.
Speaker 4: Will be a good point there, because the storyline too heading into this event with Jake Undertaker really is because of Ultimate Warrior being fired.
Speaker 2: Originally you had.
Speaker 4: Jake teaching Warrior the ways of the dark Side to take on Undertaker.
Speaker 2: Well turns out Jake was just turning heel and then.
Speaker 4: Warriors out, well, shit, we're gonna do now, let's go fight macho man. Well, we need Untake you to also be involved, and Taker turns babyface by Jake just staying a bad guy. And it's so strange to think that this man who just a year before was ripping the cross of of Hultkogan's chest and trying to bury people alive in body bags and now he's like, oh people, little kids are cheering him instead of crying.
Speaker 3: What a transition, right, Oh my god. Yeah, And there was another lesson of you know, characters and they're not always what they seem in many ways. And also you gotta respect the fans. They're going to tell you how they're going to receive this person, and you better listen because you know times they would try and force it, and and time and time again you'd be reminded that that's why they come and that and if you don't listen to them, success will not follow you.
Speaker 4: And especially because Jake tries to hit Liz and Macho Man with a steel chair backstage, and Taker is the one who just shows up at a nowhere grabbing the steel chair stopping.
Speaker 2: Wow, he's saved a woman. He's saved mister.
Speaker 4: Elizabeth and Macho Man. Oh this is so Yes, I will cheer for you. Yes, I will buy your foam tombstones. Yeah, those are those are some strange toys. It's just so sad that Jake ends up leaving, going to w c W having okay, run with staying, even trying to have that snake situation happen again, like how he had it try to bite Macho Man. Well, this time he's holding it and it tries to bite him. It's not biting him, he's holding the snake. Oh it's biting me. Not the same quality of Macho Man being eaten a lie by a king cobra.
Speaker 2: When you put an.
Speaker 3: X very pissed off Cobra.
Speaker 4: Slap a Steak in the face. I don't think it's gonna be very happy. So either way, it was just sad to see Jake leave and I imagine would take care taking over as the locker room leader. Things certainly changed backstage four the better possibly. But after that we have Breadth the Hitman Heart fighting Roddy Piper for the Intercontinental title.
Speaker 2: Remember, Burt Hawk was secretly negotiating.
Speaker 4: With WSW in early ninety one as champion, so they had him loose to the Mounty with the mount he loses.
Speaker 2: To Piper, and now we have this match.
Speaker 4: This is known to a lot of wrestling fans as being one of the greatest matches of all time, especially for Brett the Hitman Heart. Before we get into the details about blood and all that. For you, we've talked about Brett Hart versus British Bulldog being one of your favorite matches and one of your favorite events. Where do you rank Piper and Brett Hart on this list of best Brett Heart matches?
Speaker 3: Oh? Absolutely right up there, Yeah, because they're you know, and when I've talked about matches, I always I always think of the backstory to them. Yeah, and then also what's involved their history, and this was you know, flat out a tremendous this match and in a you know, a course in uh fan psychology and reacting to crowds and just two incredible pros. And also there was this connection and Roddy had this way about him because I think he was such an fed up child and and had you know, this run of where he had no idea what he was going to be and and ends up in wrestling and all this and always looked out for the the underdog I think in a sense. And so there was this connection, and he had known, you know, uh known the Heart family and strong ties to them. There was even rumors that they might have even been related because Stu Hart grew up in Saskatoon and so so did Roddy. So they would call each other because and I you know, Roddy was knew what was going on in the business. I think in some ways he was privy to you know, what they that they had were unsure about Brett, and he was on a mission to make this a classic and put this guy over like I almost think in some ways Roddy looked at it as you know, if this is my last match, on Earth. I am going to make this the best ever end. I'm going to show everybody how it's done, and that it was a masterclass in that you know everything about it, just the way they work together. Of course, the big thing that stands out and they think a lot of people remember was that Roddy had bred in a very vulnerable position and he has that the bell in his hand. He's thinking about I'm going to take him out and he's you know, and it's just god, you just feel like he's going to do it. He's gonna do it. And then he kind of and he's looking and you know, he's hearing the crowd and he's like, I'm listening, and then he's gonna do it. And he's gonna do it. And then what does he do, you know, throws it aside and uh and then Brett comes back and then pins him. Just great stuff. And as I said, in a whole psychology of it, and uh, it was you know, seeing that and I went back a few times to look at that, and I just that that whole scene with the belt to me, just summed up how great Roddy Piper was. You know, the way the way he's just he's just he's gonna he's gonna do it, got you know, He's gonna do it. And god, he just can't get that out of his head. He's like, damn it, you know. Yeah. So I mean, overall, yeah, did I say enough about this? I love it and I love those two, you know. So I'm biased to probably in a lot of ways. But I think that, as you said, a lot of people agree with this that it was it was, you know, a classic match, and I think that would have been the match of the night. But I also think that the Flair Savage one was tremendous too, turned out to be what I didn't think was going to be a great WrestleMania.
Speaker 4: It's actually my first ever wrestlmating I watched as a child, so I I really have a heart on a soft.
Speaker 2: Spot for this event.
Speaker 4: Before this match even starts, though, Brett Hart and Ronny Piper are backstage talking about their history with each other, and Piper's like, you got your mother in my room, make you on the slappist OLOGI as the maloona. You didn't like Malonea And he's just going through.
Speaker 2: This poopy diapers, poopy dippy.
Speaker 4: They walk around pooping and Brett is trying to sit there like shut the fuck up.
Speaker 3: And did you notice I don't if you pick it up. And these are these subtle things that I loved about Roddy. As they get going, you know, Jean's getting the interview going, and you see Roddy who's getting getting up on his toes to show he's he's taller than Brett. I mean that's like you go back, folks and look at that, and you're gonna see at the beginning of that that he's he stays up. You know, he's got he gets up on his toes, so he's gonna be high. You know, he's gonna be taller than Brett Hart. And they're not necessarily they were pretty much the same, hut. But I just see that's just like one of those subtle things that uh, you know, just showed that these that he picked up to show like this dominance. It's it was, you know, the pack mentality in a sense, I'm the bigger dog here. Uh just classic, just classic.
Speaker 2: The visual.
Speaker 4: Two, when you hear Brettart's music, you don't really see the entrance that much like you see wide shots of it through the throughout the night at the beginning, but when Brett Hart comes out, there's this huge long shot of Brett walking down and you notice, damn, that is.
Speaker 2: A long long way to walk to the ring.
Speaker 4: At the rest of me to give you a little like these little rings to get to the ring, because it's such a long way to go, Brett walks and I'll never forget that moment of just seeing Brett Hart his like smooth other jacket slapping hands.
Speaker 2: It's a it's a nice visual for me personally.
Speaker 4: But in this matchup, the finish is quite one of the most original moments that we have seen duplicated over the years. Piper has a sleeper hold on Brett Hart. This is his finish year like it's over. Brett Hart cannot win this, but Brett kicks up the turn buckles one two three, kicks himself backwards over Piper, but Piper stills a sleeper hold on him.
Speaker 2: One two three.
Speaker 4: Piper accidentally pins himself with Berhart's body out of them, and that was.
Speaker 2: One of the most genius moves ever.
Speaker 4: They didn't use that again until nineteen ninety six at Survivor series, when Stone Coast Lawson took on Brett Hart at the Madison Square Garden.
Speaker 2: It's like they held that.
Speaker 4: Brett held that one in for years because we know Brett is a perfectionist and he doesn't want to reuse things.
Speaker 2: He didn't reuse it for four years.
Speaker 4: Like it's a it's an astonishing finisher, but there's blood in this matchup. Brett Hart accidentally gets busted open in this matchup, and it makes everything even more intense, especially that belt moment you're talking about where he's gonna hit him with that bell, like is he not? By Brett's on the ground, he's bleeding, and it's it's a moment. But Bert Bert Harkin vinced Vince McMahon it was an accident.
Speaker 2: He didn't actually bleede. He really got busted open the hard way.
Speaker 4: Now do you think Vince believed him or Vince was like, God, damn, that.
Speaker 1: Was so good.
Speaker 2: I'll pretend that I'll believe you're lie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's the latter. And I felt that way about when that happened. All that. You know that that that Vince so he couldn't it had to be an edict in within the company because then everybody would be doing it. So it was like this, you know, no blood, no, but you know, these guys had been around long enough, and Brett, as you said, was this perfectionist and knew that this what it would add to this match and felt it was necessary. And I think that, yeah, absolutely, like Vince was not an idiot. He knew and as we saw apparently you know, Brett didn't talk to to Rick because we got to see a little more color later on. But yeah, Vince absolutely knew. There's no accidents out there really these guys, and especially when you have blood. And so it was definitely that I felt that Vince knew what they did, but he had to play along say all right, it was accident. Sure, and as we saw, you know later in that matchup with the Flar and Savage, they felt it was necessary too, which it did add a lot to that. But you couldn't have every you couldn't have this open thing for open wounds on a regular basis, because then it gets there's nothing special about it, and when it happen, because they would say that, you know, you'd hear it in the dirt sheets and all this other thing. Let's say they made it public and saying nobody's allowed to cut themselves, but you know, it was this kind of this out there that you know that you're not supposed to do that. So when it would happen, people would really pop because they're thinking, you know, whether not Vince knew it or not, but you know it's like, well, maybe you know, maybe it was an accident, maybe you know he really bashed him into those metal steps or you know, so you had that out there. So the answer to the question, of course, as I go on and on, is that, yeah, I think I think Vince knew it, but you know, everything had to be an example to everybody else, so you know, it's kind of that message of don't don't even think about it because you know, we'll let it slide this time. But boy not not not ever again.
Speaker 4: This is funny, like not ever again. And then two matches later like, yeah.
Speaker 3: I remember thinking that night going on, but they didn't talk to each other.
Speaker 4: You know, well because if he told them that, if if each one told each other, they're gonna break the rules and they tell a friend, they tell a friend and something events like are you you're all gonna bla tonight?
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I'm sure there was a little meeting afterwards, Uh, with the agents and every were like, guys, really, you know, uh, one maybe two. Then we're starting to think that nobody's listening to us.
Speaker 4: So it's so funny about like not talking because I remember seeing some matches or even wear rumbles where it's like, all right, I be wear blue tights, I wear blue boots. Who am I fighting this guy? He's also wearing blue tights and blue boots. Like, did you guys not talk before this match? You guys look exactly the same.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but no, but my mind saying are on the bottom line. See, it's different.
Speaker 3: We got spangles, he has no spangles.
Speaker 2: It's different, Like, no, you look exactly the same.
Speaker 4: I'm just happy we talked about this matchup because it seemed like the past, like ten fifteen years, everyone's discovered with Rodney Piper versus Brett Heart match for a long time.
Speaker 2: You're just told that these, certainly, these.
Speaker 4: Certain WrestleMania moments are the ones you're supposed to look at, you know, Warrior in Hogan or Wrestmania one or Sew Michael's jumping off a loat of wrest Mania ten, like these are the moments.
Speaker 2: You're told these are WrestleMania moments like see this.
Speaker 4: No, I think Brett Hart versus Roddy Piper is one of those matches where like it for a long time was forgotten about because just it wasn't brought up on WWTV. You have to go find it yourself, and I'm glad people have found it. And but next up is this eight man match. I really want to break down for a second. It's Big Boss Man Virgil Sartin Slaughter and Hacksaw Jim Duggan taking on the Nasty Boys, the Monty and the Repo Man.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 4: I don't know about you, but like last year, Sartin Slaughter was in the main event of WrestleMania seven. Now he's in a four on four match at WrestleMania eight. How do you think Slaughter felt about going from main eventing world as world champion to being in the mid card four and four.
Speaker 3: Match, knowing Bob that he was happy to be there? Okay, No, I honestly I think that. And uh I just heard from Serge. Uh. I'll have to tell you about it off of camera, but I love Sarge and anyway, Uh, you have to know Sergeant Slaughter and and think about what you know, Bob came from the beginnings of wrestling really, you know, during the time of the territories and making nothing and uh, you know, reaching these heights that he did is with the G I. Joe stuff and peaks and valleys. But you know, he's he was always appreciative of everything. Now that that's not saying he wouldn't stand up for himself, which he did and you know, right with you know business, but he'd had you know, tremendous run and it's kind of I cook, where do we go with him right now? And but he's still on that stage, So uh, sure do you want to be in an eight man tag team match? Not necessarily, but you know, you're you're still getting the call, You're still part of this. So you know, sure, would you have liked to Ben in a more marquee matchup, Absolutely, But I think that that he's you know, you're you're thinking, I'm still in the mix, and uh and who knows what's ahead and so uh, you know, I don't ever remember hearing any complaints about that at the time. And you're you're part of WrestleMania. A lot of guys that didn't get this shot, and that were on the roster.
Speaker 2: Good point. Okay, it's just funny, not really funny.
Speaker 4: It's just more weird that a year ago, Big Boss Man's party for the Interconninal title at rest Media seven. Virgils fighting for the million Dollar Championship rus Media seven. So I'm slat is the main event, Haxo Jadugan, I'm not rasing it on that car. Nasty Boys win the tag team titles at rest Media seven.
Speaker 2: The Mounty is just in a filler match. Repo Man is.
Speaker 4: Not a character because he's still in Demolition and Smash.
Speaker 2: It's just what a the golden hour of wrestling.
Speaker 4: These eight characters are a big part of it in different aspects, in different positions and different people. It's just weird to see how all eight are now in some ivisaries match at WRESTLINGIU Steven.
Speaker 2: It's great see him all in the card because I love them all.
Speaker 4: It's just what a weird now we're we're going down a little bit like these guys where you're big stars a year ago. Now it's like, okay, well in a year they won't even be at the company.
Speaker 3: Yeah it is. It's as we've you know, talked about before that it's an opportunity to get these guys out there and and still you know, uh show that they're a big part of the company. It's a it's a it's a chance for them to get a decent paid you know, payday as well. But you know, I like that that they know. It was a way of just showing their appreciation for what these guys did. But it was a very odd pairing all the way around, to have these eight guys together. They just made no sense. And you know it, it was all right, But you know, I'm not a big fan of these anyway. I don't like the big multiple tag team you know jams that they put out there. But you know, like I said, I'm just happy whenever they would get those guys out there, they'd get a shot to be on the stage like that, to be at WrestleMania. You know, there's thousands of others out there that would never got that opportunity. And so I'm sure every one of them appreciated it.
Speaker 4: And Ray Combs from the Family Feud at this time, he was actually doing the ring announcing the beginning, introducing the wrestlers, insulting the Nasty Boys mother and things that nature. And Ray Combs would be involved with a WWR for a little while.
Speaker 3: And then yeah he's a big wrestling fan.
Speaker 4: Yeah he's a tragic ending if you don't know about raycmbes unfortunately. But after that we go over to the Macho Man Randy Savage. It's the WWF Championship against Rick Flayer. The storyline heading into this is Rick Flair is saying that he used to date Miss Elizabeth and they have pictures in the WWF magazine. According to him, those are real, well they're photoshopps. He just photoshopped himself over the Macho Man and all these photos. But also Rick Flair is saying at Wrestlminia eight, he's going to show.
Speaker 2: On the big screen at.
Speaker 4: The Hoosier Dome naked pictures of Miss Elizabeth will be hanging above the rafters.
Speaker 2: Bobby heen it.
Speaker 4: At the top of this show, vers Many eight kicks off. He starts off looking like this, and girls like what are you doing? And he's like, I'm looking for the loo. So no pictures eventually show up. Now we have talked about Macho Man being upset about Elizabeth being an itsy bitsy teeny weeny yellow poker Dot bikini, which is really just.
Speaker 3: Like Bloomers Bloomer.
Speaker 4: How do you think, macho man, even what's feeling about the idea that we are going to promote this event in this match based on naked photos of his woman?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and even the idea, you know, I'm sure they of course said, well, never have something like that. We're not going to have, you know, with the blurred out stuff, but just the insinuation. Yeah, I know that Randy was not comfortable with this angle at all, and they and they played it up in it generated a lot of heat, and Rick certainly, you know, did a great job with it. But yeah, Randy, I know for a fact, was not not real excited about this. And you know, I think about it what they were doing then, because they did do the doctor photoshop things, you know, with like him and Liz together, you know, can you imagine what they could do today with Ai.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've seen like Tupac join the NWS, right, I've seen lots of stuff.
Speaker 3: So but even yeah, it wasn't It wasn't a great angle, I'm sure as far as Randy was concerned, But this ended up being a pretty damn good match. And as I said earlier that you know, Rick was about forty three at the time and showed that he still had it in this match against Randy who, which I think he was at the time about thirty eight.
Speaker 2: He was like a great grandpa.
Speaker 3: He was a kid.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's according to Vince mcmahonnon and everything.
Speaker 2: That happens here.
Speaker 4: It's just crazy to think that you're running you know, you having problems with steroid trial. The news is covering you like crazy about all the bad decisions you're making as a company. But this storyline for the world title, your championship is going to be surrounded by nude photos of one of your woman characters.
Speaker 2: As a kid, I was always like, what's happening here? But as an Adelia.
Speaker 4: Thinking holy crap, like this is an Attitude era storyline.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Little Risque absolutely uh And and I think you know a lot of some of the fans felt that way because we were remember we were all family entertainment then that was uh. We wanted the kids there and they weren't going to the gutter as they would eventually get to. So yeah, at the time, and I think I questioned it too, I was like, what are they doing here? This is you know, Elizabeth is supposed to have this very innocent persona and you know, be smirching it. To think that she would ever be in a situation where she would let someone take pictures of her without her clothing on was kind of was shocking. And and I think that you know, kind of the angle with well with people think, well, did you know Flair, you know, get these pictures somehow in a way that she didn't even know about, you know that it was so yeah, it's kind of the you know, sunbathing or something. I think like people you know, that was kind of that. It just it just had kind of a little bit of a dirty feel to it. Yeah. But uh, as I said, it did generate heat. And these two, you know, and and Randy had no problem uh you know, selling that. So when they got to this matchup, it was it was uh, it was a good one. I mean right from the from the start and they get going, uh, you know, Randy's all over the place and as you know, I talked about him when he's wearing the Spandex shirts and it wasn't you know, it wasn't flabby, Steve, it wasn't. But it just was when these guys. It just they didn't have the cut. You know, if you remember Randy at his peak, man, he looked damn good and uh ja. But this this wasn't that time. And then you can see and when he wears these these shirts that he would wear all the time, then that he didn't have those lines like he had one at one point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, his goal he's wearing.
Speaker 3: I don't know the circumstances. I don't know this circumstances, but that was the case with a lot of the guys. And as you mentioned the Warrior, I mean it looked like he been deflated. Looked like the Rock.
Speaker 4: Now, yeah, Skinny Rock hitting into Hollywood, went off the juice and you know, yeah that's what I went to.
Speaker 2: It is what happens.
Speaker 4: But yeah, it is strange to see that much of a man is wearing a body suit where he's covering his physique. Now and we'll see that throughout his career until he goes to even w c W.
Speaker 2: He's forever covering himself up until.
Speaker 3: And I want to make clear, but I'm not I want to make clear. I'm not saying the Rock was every on steroids. And when when everyone to say I'm just saying I'm comparing the difference of when you make adjustments and how you work out.
Speaker 4: Of course, I know Hollywood does not check for steroids, so we can you can.
Speaker 2: Guess what you want to guess, and assume what you want to assume.
Speaker 3: But I'm he's getting healthy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he looks great, a lot of it.
Speaker 3: I agree. I agree. It's just people are so used to seeing that, you know, and and and the same for the warrior, you know, I I you know, at the time, nobody knew what these things could do to your body. And you know, you see what the transformation of these guys. It can't be healthy when you go from that to when you don't do them what you look like, so and a lot of them ended up paying the ultimate price that you know. It's it's amazing to me that you know, like and whatever it was that that Terry used to keep that physique that he had until his dying day, What that does to you for that many many, many many years that you know, whatever it is. I mean, I'm not saying it's necessarily illegal steroids or something like that, but you're doing things that are you know, enhancing your body with these supplements and everything else, and you really don't. No, ultimately, when you're carrying that haft around and that the weight of the muscles, and you know, you just have to You still have to wonder to this day, is this is this healthy for you?
Speaker 4: I would say taking whatever they were taking for all those years is definitely not healthy for your body. Because but again, if your body's used to like my for an example, my grandfather started smoking cigarettes when he was eleven years old. He lived, who is ninety nine. He smoked cigarettes until then. Because you know why, the minute my other my other grandmother quit cigarettes, she died like two months later. Because your body is conditioned to these these supplements in your body, whatever it is. Smugger at some monk or steroids, but clearly match him, man, you know, I'll say it.
Speaker 2: He's not on juice anymore.
Speaker 4: Here he when he leaves and goes to WW he's still wearing bodysuits until a few years later where he suddenly jacked biggest he's ever been. He's not wearing your shirt anymore. Why you take a while guess on that one. But in this matchup that he's wearing that bodysuit, which is great, but yet Rick Flair blades in this match, and we saw Brett Hart do it by accident earlier. Rick Clair doesn't really make it like he's accidentally doing it.
Speaker 2: You just see him. He's like, he just does it. He doesn't even care.
Speaker 4: And his bleached blonde hair is red and it looks amazing as a visual. But we brought it up there there. You can't do that, you're not supposed to. It already happened two matches ago. What are you doing now, buddy?
Speaker 3: Happened earlier, right, And I think Flair ended up getting You're fine because I think you know that's as I said, Uh, it's not like Vince wasn't aware what Brett was doing. But then Rick does it and and you said pretty blatantly and to him, I think to Vince that was like, you're shoving it up my ass, you know, like, uh, and so I have to make an example of you, and so he did. But in this match, though, it did, it really did add to it, especially that you know Rick has that bleached blonde hair and that red blood. It just pops out and it's amazing, you know, just how controlled it was, because you really have to know what you're doing when you do that. I don't know if you've ever had a head wound, but you know, I remember I playing rugby one time I got kicked in the head and I it was like gallons. People thought I was gonna you know, was bleeding to death. And I go to the emergency room thinking, oh my god, they're going to sew my scalp back on. They start, they sew it up, and I go, that was it, And they're like, I said, how many stits did you get? The guy goes three. So, uh, you know, head wounds bleed. You know that you've got a lot of blood vessels up there, and and you really have to know what you're doing. And it was, you know, and Rix, it was just enough. It wasn't where you know, you could say that he knew what he was doing with it because it was just enough where he wasn't you know, there wasn't all over throughout the rest of the match or whatever. But they but he had it and and it really added to it.
Speaker 4: Look nice and it looked great again. Amazing match. Probably the match of the night if you're going to argue with Brett versus Piper, but it's certainly some of the greatest because again this is a time where Macho Man always has good matches. I have never seen a bad Macho Man match, no matter if it's short or long, and this one is perfect. He wins the world title again the second time, winning the belt and at the end though he's getting beat up by Rick Flair and mister her Perfect.
Speaker 2: They're attacking him.
Speaker 4: Elizabeth is running down and I always love the producers, like the referees.
Speaker 2: They're like, no, you can't go down there. They're stopping her.
Speaker 4: But she gets in the ring and Flair grabs her by the face again he is covered in blood, grabs her by the face and kisses her with his bloody face. She has a little blood in her face as well. Machi Man gets up attacks and you know.
Speaker 3: He find out of his mind.
Speaker 4: Like Miss Elizabeth has been slapped by Jake the Snake Roberts this Tuesday in Texas where assuming nude photos of her circulating somewhere backstage. Now she's being manhandled by Flair, bloody man kissing her like envy Peter and Miss Elizabeth dammit right.
Speaker 3: No, she earned her paycheck, that was for sure on that one. And you know, Steve watching this and I got emotional watching them together, and I kept saying, like, what, man, what is it with the two of them in the ring? And it was just the realization of what was happening between the two of them in real life they they was just kind of you know, they wouldn't be together much longer after this, but you know, thinking they're both gone, and it was such an incredible time that what they had created in the WWE at the time, and to see them together once again conquering, you know, the foe and real life zing that it's the two of us. It really was for me. And maybe I was just being nostalgic from that time in my life too, but I really I had stop watching it so h it just reminded me of the magic that they had. As toxic as people may have thought that relationship was or whatever, but I don't question for a second that Liz Liz was was Randy's love of his life. And I know that he found happiness later with someone else, and I'm glad that that was where he was in his life, but I just don't, I don't ever question that that she was it and and I believe it was the same for her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that again.
Speaker 4: They two had magic for as long as you can remember, the Golden Era as always match him and Liz. They were not together for a little while and they got back together Mania seven and beautiful moment there where he's supposed to retire and now here we are a year later he's in the world title. So that's funny about wrestling too, is like, oh, year ago he retired, Well he's the world champion in the WWF. That's well, I'll never believe retirement storylines angles Johnson his last match, things of.
Speaker 2: That nature, Like I don't believe you because.
Speaker 4: I've seen too many times where I've been lied to about it's your last time and then you're at the Roy Rumble or you're at WrestleMania. But you're right about the magic between Machim and Miss Elizabeth. It's it's great. It's created a lot of core memories for a lot of people. Yeah, but much of a minute.
Speaker 3: There was a great match too, and it really it was a great match, And as it had been planned, it was supposed to be hul Cogan and Rick Flair and it just didn't work for whatever reason. They you know, they did have matches at house shows and just didn't for whatever reason, didn't get over. But this one certainly delivered, and so I think as far as the choice is go, I know everybody wanted to see the classic matchup, but as far as this one went, they absolutely delivered. Rick Flair was fantastic that day, and so was Randy and and kudos to Elizabeth as well.
Speaker 4: I'm glad you brought that Rick Flair Hogan situation up because we did a whole podcast about it. But reality, it is shocking that we didn't get Flair and Hogan, which is a dream scenario in your brain at WrestleMania, But yet we did get match on in rest ric Flair an amazing matchup.
Speaker 2: We never wouldn't have gotten this match between.
Speaker 4: Flair and Savage, and how good it was if we had Hogan and Flair involved each other. Yet, would it be bigger like a star power wise? Maybe, but things might have changed if we didn't have so many scenarios like Hogan and steroid trials happening. Hogan's gonna leave for a little while, you can't have Hogan and Flair. What Flair's gonna beat Hogan's and he leaves. Yeah, it's a hard it's a hard self. We did a whole hour podcast about that. Well, definite put that down in the description for you guys listen to.
Speaker 3: Should listen to that one too. There's a lot of good stuff in that one.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's again it's endless. But do you think always the plan was Machia MA and restrict Flair because you do have a lot of Sid and Cogan interactions. At Roy Rumble in ninety two, they had interactions. They teamed up at Sennight's main event, they had that fake press conference, Like there's a lot of we might think Flair and Hogan's gonna happen, but there's a lot of things building and pointing us to Sid versus Hogan instead of Flair versus Hogan. Like do you know in your brain maybe like when they decided, okay, we're not doing Flair in Hogan.
Speaker 3: Well, I think that as always because so many things would change that they always had like kind of the backup plan plan, a play plan B and so and let's see how these develop. So you know, you would see you know, almost working two angles at the same time and to see how it plays out, and certainly had the ability to do that, you could have beef with more than one person, right, So I think that and as I said before that, see how the fans, they're the ones who decide when it all comes down to it. You know, they would We always saw time and time again they would try and force something and you can't do it. And so I think that they were waiting to see what kind of reaction they would get. And you know, Sid and Hulk were basically the next best thing and the other angle wasn't working. So here we go.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's said we didn't get it, but again we did a whole sho about it. We'll put it down the description up next to to Tonka versus Rick del Model Martel.
Speaker 2: They will not leave each other alone.
Speaker 4: In nine ten ety two they wrestle in somebdversaries any two as well, and it's all about racy undertones, being called Indian giver and fealing someone's feathers. And I don't know, why do you think they keep putting these two together like for in ninety one Warlord in the British Bulldog fun each other every single paper of view in ninety two, technically they only missed one to Tonka and Rick namorl. Martell like, why do you think, like, can't we just change it up a little bit?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you would think. It just was like it felt like lazy to me in a sense. But you know, they see guys that work really well together, and you know, they just keep blocking them up. You know, certainly you couldn't get away with what as you said, they're the racial undertones and stuff with that. But even then it was like what are you doing? Is it that thin? And I always felt like I really did at times feel like that Vince and Pat they were a little tone deaf to what you what was okay to do, you know, or what was acceptable and so this, you know, we would see that you know, the stuff about Tito that uh, you know, Bobby was great and would get away with it, but yeah, and Jesse too was uh you know, would lay it in on on certain things. So but I you know, you have to remember the times and and uh it was It's there's no excuse for it. It's just that it was acceptable. I mean you had uh, you know, sond of like Don Rickles go back and look at some of his bits that he would do with these roasts and things. You're like oh my god that you know, the stuff that he would say. But it was perfectly acceptable that you know that people just said, well, okay, you know it's not it's comedy. It's being spread about everybody. You know, they're not picking on one particular ethnicity. So I guess it's all right. Uh, you know, I remember these studs, like, you know, the Pollock joke that was, well, come on, you know, why didn't people think, my god, that's terrible, you know, but they didn't, So yeah, it was it was a sign of the times. But anyway that you know, those two worked really well together. But it was in a sense kind of a mid Carter situation all the time. And when you keep you know, it's one thing if if they're headliners and you and they work well together and you keep them working with each other, but when you're in a situation where they're not, what is it? What are you doing? Do you have any plans to take this somewhere? Do they you know? And it wasn't it was It kind of comes off to me. It's like filler And both of them were very talented, but you know, like Rick Bartel was great, and I always thought that they just never really knew what to do. They tried a lot of things with him, and the model is, you know, probably the best, but I always felt he was better than that too, and just sometimes you just can't find the right gimmick for them and everybody had to have one, and so yeah, that's kind of the way I feel about the way they kept putting those matches out there. And there were others they did the same thing with as you mentioned.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the British Bulldog and Warlord fight roy Rumble, Russemania, SummerSlam, Somber Series and ninety two they fight the roy Rumble Rust Many eight. They skipped SummerSlam and then they fight at Sarver Series ninety two. So Tatanka and Rick the Marmotel are attached at the hip. Also on this event, though Legion of Doom have a interview in front.
Speaker 2: Of the crowd. We haven't seen them since Royal Rumble in nineteen ninety.
Speaker 4: Two because Hawk failed a drug test, so they removed them. They lost their tight Team titles and a house show. And now Paul Ellering is here. Now the WWF audience has no idea who Paul Ellering is. We have never been introduced there's been no yet nothing they do come out is Paul Ellering. He speaks for the Legion of Doom, acknowledging their back. They lost their ways and now they're here to take control and you know, get back on the right track. I did not like this version of living Doom because Paul Ellering to me, I was like, why is this old man telling these two guys what to do?
Speaker 2: Now? I didn't know the history because I wasn't told the history.
Speaker 4: Was it shocking to see that, all right, we're having problems with drugs, like laur right, Well, maybe Paul Ellering can get them off drugs.
Speaker 3: Maybe that that is a great question because I think a lot of people were scratching their heads because they were both very capable. They didn't need a manager, and yet alone a manager who eventually would show up with a wooden dummy.
Speaker 2: How dare you rock on the dummy?
Speaker 3: Oh? God? And and uh and I you know, I think they loved they love Paul, but I think they felt the same way and so maybe just the it up. Maybe they felt that, you know, Paul would have an influence because as you said, they had history before and you know, had success with him as their manager, but it was beyond that. It was you know, outside of the ring and traveling in that kind of thought, that thought behind it, that he would have some influence over Mike and keep him focused. Besides it just being Joe who clearly didn't have that kind of ability with with Hawk and so yeah, there probably was some of that behind it, But I don't know if Ellering had his own ideas of because it was his idea with the dummy with Rocco and they hated it. I don't know why Vince ever bought that, Like why would you the meanest, nastiest, too gnarrowly, Uh, you know, superstars and you're gonna have them with the manager who's got a who's ventriloquist to me.
Speaker 2: In the newspaper, he's smacking it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it just it was made no sense, and I just I just remember thinking, this is not going to end well, this is not gonna go well, because this is ridiculous, it's absurd. Just let them be who they are. But I think that there was some of that, that it was someone else that could keep Mike in line and try and keep them focused on what they were supposed to be doing, because you know, they're they were a union. They had to be together to make it work. Joe mentioned many times too, you know you're dealing with a drug addict and you can't you can't depend on that, and it was his livelihood, so I think that that was part of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: They It's just funny because they get a year ago Tag Team Champions as well, so it's like all these people a year later from seven to eight. The doubt, not the downfall, but just the struggle of keeping going is clearly on a lot of people's backs here and leads to doom and Paul ow Ring they're out of here by Summer Slim nty two.
Speaker 2: You know, we have that whole story.
Speaker 4: We did a whole episode about it where we did an episode of Leading to Doom, and we did an episode about Summer Slim nineteen ninety two where Hawk ends up leaving. The story is he's hanging out with the Hell's Angels and he's gone. He doesn't come back until nineteen ninety seven in the WWF.
Speaker 2: So it's just sad to see what happened here.
Speaker 4: But we got money in cording now the Tag Team Champions, million Dollar Man in Irs taking on the natural disasters and this is you brought up Ta Tanka versus the Marl Martel. There's a lot of filler after that world title match, Like there's no big storylines like Tatanka model the tag team titles, owen Hart and Skinner, Like how for you?
Speaker 2: I've again, I have no problem with any of these matches, but for you who were.
Speaker 4: There with the Rockers and Powers and Glory and Demolish and all these teams, that how far has the tag team division fallen?
Speaker 3: Uh? Pretty far? And I wanted to say overall, you know, you made a good point about like you use Led as an example of how things had fallen, But I think it was kind of you know, encapsuled the entire company of where it was, that it was in decline and it would get worse for sure that it you know, it had to go down for it to come up. And I just think it was this you know, exhaustion after all that, you know, that that wave of everything, you know, and it just was just peaked Hulkamania and all all of that, and at some point there's a break. And that's what I felt that what was happening, It was, uh, you know, the perfect storm in many ways with everything that was happening, and I think, you know, a lot of the superstars, it would they a lot of these guys have been with the company through it all, and now there was this kind of exhaustion in there and people worn down and not that many newcomers coming in to you know, pick it back up. So I think overall, you know, and the tag team division suffered along with it, as we saw in this match, you know, as we see throughout, because at one point, man, it was crazy how strong that tag team division was. We've never seen it again. Never were how many I don't know how many tag teams we had, but everybody knew them. They were household names.
Speaker 4: Well, if you go look at the nineteen eighty seven and eighty eighthviversaries when they have all the tag teams in elimination cha elimination matches, there's so many tag teams they cover up both sides of the ring where the camera canon shoot through them.
Speaker 2: That's how many teams you had.
Speaker 4: And that's how many prominent Killer Bees, rouge O's, you know, Strike Force, It's just Powers of Pain, Like it's an endless, endless list of amazing teams. Natural disasters win the match by count out here at Rustlemania eight count out. After this, though, we go to a one minute and thirty six second match. It's owen Hart who was in high energy, but now he's in a singles match against Skinner the Alligator Man.
Speaker 2: Owen Hart comes down to the ring.
Speaker 4: Does a backflip, gets black goose spit in his face, but then oh yeah, yeah, it's disgusting, and he somehow wins the match up and it's very quick, it's very easy, and you can clearly tell things are running amok to like they're running out of time.
Speaker 2: Like all right, just get this in and get this out. Why put this here?
Speaker 3: Remains a mystery to this day, Steve, I, yeah, I owen Hart was a really talented guy. He's another example that they just never really knew what to do with him. And I'm sure you know, it was probably a longer match originally, but you could they started to run out of time, and I'm sure that that's you know, sometimes that's what it is. You know, you got this other match you got coming up with hul Cogan and said justice and you know, I don't know's you've got that. It's all you know the timing of it, and you've got to make sure you've got enough at the end. It's like timing a newscast, as you would know very well that you know, it's almost divided into segments and you got to be at a certain place. Everything goes according to time, And I mean, I think, I don't I could not believe if they said it's going to be a minute something match and boom, it's over. But I don't think there was a way to save this. So I'm glad it was that short. To tell you the truth, I don't know what was that supposed to be? Is was it supposed to be tobacco juice or what?
Speaker 2: But yeah, I believe that was.
Speaker 4: I think he's supposed to be, like, yeah, he's a man, he was on the Alligator meet. I don't know because he was he was a hunter, but yeah, and he spit in his face and then he rolls him up, uh one two three hundred two minutes. It's very quick because they're doing interviews backstage before this matchup, so out of nowhere, the camera just appears on Owen, who's on the top rope, does a backflip, gets spit and then I'm like, wait, Dore's a match up, Like I'm his kid, be like, wait, there's a match happening right now? Like what we just abruptly showed up. There's no music, there's no nothing. It just here we are, but now here are here? We are the main event. Holt Cogan versus said Justice after this matchup, Hogan's gone, said Justice is gone. Warriors here and so was Papa Shan Go. But there is so much to talk about this matchup. Now, Hoult cogin leaving. Now they air this segment where vincmick Man actually interviewed Hote Cogan on the march to met WrestleMania.
Speaker 2: It was like a special the week before getting you excited.
Speaker 4: For this WrestleMania and Vincent's down with and they have all these memories of Holte Cogan behind him against Andre and Warrior, and Vince is very sad.
Speaker 2: It is just the end of Hulk Cogan, just the end of whole comedian. He's one of old brother But you know, I think it is even the beginning of the show.
Speaker 4: The intro is it's a double main event, and will it be Hulk Hogan's last match? And he opposes you know, over the Hoosier Dome heading into this, were you told by the company, this is Hulk Coogan's last match, we have to promote it that way.
Speaker 3: Well, they didn't say this is his last match, but yes, they did say we will promote it this way. And you know, to have that that sense of this is maybe your last chance to see Hulk Hogan in the ring. I mean that makes absolute sense. I get a kick out of watching that that interview that you know, it was supposed to be like a sixty minutes kind of feel to it, you know, that Vince interviewing Hulk, but you know he's asking these questions like is this you know, and I just look at like Hulk and you know, no, it's working here, But I just like he's going, you know, it's Vincett me up here, like you know that I that I'm going to be gone, you.
Speaker 4: Know, like probably, Yeah, they're both playing each other in front of each other each other.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a work. It's a work both ways. But it's just kind of uncomfortable, you know, because it's like it's one of those uh, you know, the fantasy reality like where are we in here? You know, the between the two there's a lot of truth going on in here. Uh, and they're getting their shots in in a sense, and these little mind games. But yeah, I mean that's why else why wouldn't you not play it like that? That, Hey, you know this could be it? How many retirement matches have we've seen? And you know, four months later the guys back, so you know we can say whatever we want, this is it? Never going to ever do anything else ever again? And oh oh gee, hey, nice to see you again. So yeah, that that was absolutely the way it was played up and the way we promoted it as we.
Speaker 4: Should, and it was just, yeah, you're right about the sixty minutes style interview, and you're it's so funny because I'm so happy you brought that up. Like they're playing each other in front of each other. Yeah, because Vince is like, look at all these great memories. You can't top this, right, buddy, Like this is gonna be the end?
Speaker 2: What the fuck? Man?
Speaker 4: Like you're saying I'm old. You're saying I can't do anything better than what you have behind me.
Speaker 3: Nothing else you can do to make this any different.
Speaker 2: Remember that great Andre moment. You're never top of that, right buddy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't. Oh, I guess, but yeah, I'm.
Speaker 2: Fighting said next Sunday. Isn't that is that great? Like, yeah, that's great, but never better than this, right, Well, and.
Speaker 3: I think that I think that you know, Vince even knows too that that's not a great that's not a great matchup. I had to play it. It's the Hulkster, but I don't think, you know, we talked that that Hulk and Rick wasn't gonna happen. But I wasn't excited about sid in the Hulk either, so you know, I was, and and it was kind of it was kind of a the backle match anyway. And then of course the whole thing with you know, the the late entrance by Papa Shango, which you know, just kind of summed it all up as to what you know, it's that match was and i've uh, you know, Charles's I've heard him since talk about it that, uh he had really nothing to do with it, and I totally believe him because, uh, you know, if people know, the gorilla position is where your position, and you mentioned earlier, you know how long that walk was to the ring. It was, it was a long ways. And if you watch that match, uh you see that you know, uh that where he kicks out where Sid kicks out, Well, he was supposed to he was supposed to be at ringside already before that happened. He wasn't supposed to kick out. Shango was supposed to come in and interfere, and and Sid's forced to kick out because Shango ain't there. Uh so, but so you know how bad that Q was And I don't know who was there. I don't remember, uh you know right, no, no, mas so whoever's there really f that up or like really missed it. And uh you know, Charles says that they they sent me late. They knew it. The guy's like, oh ghosh, you know shit, And and he goes out there. Now it's you know, he's not going to go run out there until they send him. That's that's how it works. You know, he's not going to just be how's he going to know? You're gonna looking on the monitor and that's that where that point is, and then you go, no, somebody just says send him, and he goes.
Speaker 2: He ran super slow though very when he walks out yet.
Speaker 3: Wasn't there, wasn't It was an ultimate warrior run.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's he needs to get if he was gonna if he was already late, he's already twenty minutes late now right now, now you're another twenty minutes late, like the movie's over, like.
Speaker 1: Rust has gone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're not getting on it. The ships sailed whatever you want to say, uh yeah, and then he goes out there. But but as far as his explanation for it, I totally buy that that whoever it was, f that up. They sent him way, way, way too late when he went out.
Speaker 2: So do you think that was on purpose though, to make to make Hogan look stupid on his way out?
Speaker 3: No, God, no, there's too many people feel like, you know, there's no trust there. Somebody says, yeah, I do this, We're gonna get Hulk, We're gonna screw him and let you know, and less Vince. But no, it just wouldn't have worked out. There's no way that they if they wanted, there was much easier other, you know, ways to do it, not to forget, you know, not send Papa Shango when he's supposed to go down there and interfere. That's I just can't believe that would be something that was done on purpose.
Speaker 2: But I interviewed Harvey Whippleman about this event, and I asked.
Speaker 3: He's the manager advises. Yeah, he improvises and gets in there.
Speaker 4: Gets from the apron and like he's trying to cover up for Papa Shanka walking, you know, like an old grandma to the store. And yet Harvey says, everything that happened was supposed to happen that way. Papa Shanka was supposed to be late, The leg drop was supposed to be a kickout all and I'm like, the leg the kickout was on purpose.
Speaker 2: He was like, yep, So he says that, Like.
Speaker 3: You said, Okay, so you're saying, like, because nobody kicks out from the leg drop, so let's make Terry look bad.
Speaker 2: Yes, true, No, No, that's a theory.
Speaker 3: That's a theory.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: I hadn't considered that, but yeah, that's a theory. But you know, Papa Shango is not going to Is he going to risk his career for that? No, he's not going to go unless says go, unless Vin is the one that's behind it all. I just find it, you know, and and look what happened after it. You know that he was gone.
Speaker 2: Well, they replaced Holding with Warrior and the fans.
Speaker 4: That's that's why I'm like, I'm not against the theory of Vince being very like, oh, really, you're gonna leave while I'm getting my ass handed to me by everybody, and I need you use my star.
Speaker 2: Well guess what I'm not saying, Vince did that.
Speaker 4: But also for all of the stories where Vince McMahon is not a very nice man sometimes to other people who he feels like are turning on him and holding leaving here, I feel like that's a turn in. Harvey Whippleman flat out said, Yep, it was supposed to be that way. The kickout, the everything is on Q.
Speaker 2: In the end is Warrior to come out. That's all we really need to happen.
Speaker 3: I don't know, you know, he was there, so you know, but that's kind of that's the way I saw it, And I uh, I don't know. I mean, we'll never know.
Speaker 4: When you talk to un if you'd sid and obviously when he was live, when you interviewed him, you guys talked about this. Do you recall his reactions to all this?
Speaker 3: Yeah, he he went with the you know, the whole from what I remember that that you know that that it was he had to. He had to improvise.
Speaker 2: He couldn't get pinned.
Speaker 4: So that makes sense because yeah, he's again, and then you know Papa Shank Go's late and it's suppecially Cogan's last match. But when we finally get to the end, said kicks out, Holy shit, what's happening. Then we hear Delta Warrior's music and even Bobby Heenan on commentary is going crazy about this. He's like, the Warrior's back, The Warrior's back, and they show the camera angle and Warrior. I've never seen this man run so fast in all my life, but when I saw him running, now go the health.
Speaker 1: Is the who hell is that?
Speaker 2: That's not the Elephant Warrior. People thought that was a Texas Tornado for a long time.
Speaker 3: That's true, and he did. I mean.
Speaker 4: People thought for so long without the Internet telling us the truth, that was Texas Tornado dressed up as the Ulphant Warrior because we wanted to still use the the ip of the Warrior character. Did you was it a secret that Warrior was coming back before this, at this event, weeks before, months before?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well yeah, you know, huh did you.
Speaker 2: Know Warrior was coming back?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: You you're gonna keep it a little k FAVI.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, they they there were all kinds of rumors that, yeah, he was coming back, so but it was, uh, it was pretty well kept secret. And uh and I just that was another one of those I was thinking, boy, and especially the way the situation that what he looked like and everything else. I'm just saying, like, I don't know how this is gonna that's gonna work.
Speaker 4: No, because he comes back and he's not he's wearing is regular a gear And yeah, then the next time we see him on television he has a bodysuit on with airbrush muscles on it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you know, a little giantnslid everybody.
Speaker 3: Yeah, everybody, you got to have your original. You want that. You want the original, you want the you know, as as mister Purk would say, you're filled up, You're good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we already.
Speaker 3: I can't get any more on you bouncing it off the wall.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's just crazy because we did a whole again, a whole episode about it where Warrior gets fired after Summer Slam nineteen ninety one for holding up Vince for more money. Any more profits the Warrior hotline merchandise sales all that. Well, Khally vinsik Man doesn't give a shit about burn Bridges because he brings Warrior back just a few months later. Now, And is this do you think Warriors brought back because Hogan's leaving and we're like, we gott to replace one character with another or Warrior.
Speaker 3: I'm sure that had that was had a big element to it, of course, but I think that Vince knew deep down he didn't that. You know, you get burned so many times, so those matches, you know, you're just like it was never gonna work. It just he just wasn't capable. So yeah, but that was the intent. Of course, you know, they needed a big name and you know maybe this time he's going to but.
Speaker 4: No, no time, and he gets he gets fired in November of nineteen ninety two when he was fired for hgh use and we talked about that as well on Sarvis Series nineteen ninety two podcasts. So there's a lot of Warrior being fired content here on the Golden Era podcast. But it seems to be that every time we think we're gonna believe in him one more time, is it just too much too soon for someone like.
Speaker 2: Warrior he's just got so much and he didn't.
Speaker 4: He didn't I don't know, he didn't think he could handle it, and he thought, oh, I deserve these things, when in reality, maybe you just wait out a little bit and you will get that whole coking of money.
Speaker 2: Or he had to put his foot down because he wasn't gonna get it no matter what.
Speaker 3: Well, I think initially that that it was all that you know, too much too soon, But then you know, uh, he was put through a lot of situations and should have learned those lessons, and I just think when it came right down to it, he just wasn't capable. It was it was just too hardwired, too stubborn, too you know, thick headed on things and felt that. And I think because of the way everything went initially he always felt like they were out to get him. They weren't really behind him and given it, you know, they needed me, and it was it wasn't like the genuine they want me to succeed and and any any job or anything you're doing, if you don't believe that, then you've always got that edge, and Jim always did and it's it's it's a shame we uh as I've said before that I think he could have been one of the greatest legends in the history of the w WE, and he just couldn't got it to get out of his own way when it came down to it.
Speaker 2: It's yeah, it's sad he doesn't come back again.
Speaker 4: He comes back here, he's fired in ninety two, he doesn't come back until nine ninety six, and then he goes to WCW and he doesn't come back until he gets put in the Hall of Fame, and then he passes away the very next day, which is what a.
Speaker 2: Crazy situation that was.
Speaker 4: But Hogan's out, Warriors in but also Sid is out of the company as well. He failed a drug test shortly after WrestleMania. He quits the company three weeks later, maybe softball was involved, and he wouldn't come back until nineteen ninety five.
Speaker 2: So your main event of Rust many eight, both wrestlers are gone after it.
Speaker 4: It's shocking how the exits of certain wrestlers happen. Again, you're in the company, Hogan's gone, You're like, okay, well we got Sid. Now Sid's gone too. What are you hearing about that?
Speaker 3: It was a sign of the times. I mean it really was that. I just think that's just where we were going. It was the company was in decline. It wasn't what it was that that's where you wanted to be, and that's where you were going to make the most money, and that's where the most fame was going to come. They had other options, but it was it was a sign of the times that you know, nothing was shocking back then. If somebody left a couple of years before that, yeah, it would have been like, oh my god. But you know, Sid was always in and out. Uh And he's admitted, he admitted many many times that you know, wrestling with he was there was nothing, no passion involved in in professional wrestling. For him, it was a way to make a living and he could walk away from it any day. He just didn't care enough. The Hulk we've talked about, you know that he just was he wanted to see if he could take that that hul comania, that that persona to the next level h in the mainstream, and and he was going to go for it. So and and other stuff that was trailing him as well. That he wasn't over like that. People did question it. They know, the whole Arsenio Hall appearance was I think hurt him dramatically. Nobody bought it, so you know, maybe it was a chance to get away, you know, but but bottom line, it was just a sign of the times. And as I mentioned, I always wondered what was I thinking at the time, because I left shortly after in ninety three. And you know, I've always said, God, I wish it would have stuck around, and I would love to have been part of the the uh attitude era. But now, but us going through this stuff, it's brought back a lot of memories, the reality of it was and and uh, you know I felt the same way about a lot of things, and I didn't like the things that they were doing. And uh so I get it now.
Speaker 2: You know, we're breaking up with therapy session with Sean Mooney here.
Speaker 3: Emotional today, but it is it's uh yeah, these going through the stuff with it is therapy.
Speaker 4: Well, at least you weren't busted up in that day and got fine thousands of dollars by this man. You know, you could have been the third person like, oh we're all we're not busting open today. I thought we were doing that. Whoops, Like I'm bleeding everywhere Uh, yeah, that's the wrestling he ate for you folks. There's one more story that really blew my mind though, where it has nothing to do with the event the night before, where Brett Hard is at a bar with his wife and apparently while he was in the bathroom, a young Sehae mcman hit on his wife and his wife didn't like that. Well, Berhart found that out and decided to go up to Shane and give him a piece of his mind about how he just hit on his f and wife in Yeah, that's a weird story that I stumbled upon before this event, and thoughts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well you said that. It's in Brett's book. He talks about it. We don't hear Shane's side, no, but uh, you know that was not uh monogamy was not exactly uh you know, rampant in back in the days. Even Brett talks about being on the road in his book and having something different all over the place.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: And you know, Shane was a young buck back then, he doing stuff with the company and uh you know, probably tipped a few and didn't have the greatest judgment on that one. And who knows what the exchange was. Uh, but apparently Julie Brett's wife at the time, was offended by it. And you know, Brett didn't didn't take any disrespect from anybody, uh, and so he straightened that out quick apparently, and and shoved Shane up against the wall and said, dude, you don't do that. And I'm sure Shane got the message.
Speaker 4: I'm sure he pissed his pants that day, you know. Yeah, that's why a lot of wrestlers, I think, I think Jake said it once. We're like, that's why you don't bring your wife around the boys, because bad things can happen without you even knowing.
Speaker 2: And he has a perfect situation.
Speaker 3: Why do you think Randy. You know, they always said that Randy basically locked the Liz away, he had her with her, and that you know, that had to be tough too, although you know Liz would have never during that period of time done anything. But you know, yeah, it's it's it's rough, that's rough.
Speaker 4: Accordin de Rick Flair though she has a nude photo somewhere in heaven trying to find these photos. He's trying to figure out where they were. But all in all, I thought RUSSEMANI was a fun show. I really liked it again, russemini Ate was my first wrestle media So no matter what anyone says, I'll say he's the greatest wrestlemen of all time personally in my book.
Speaker 2: But there has been better.
Speaker 4: Matches, yah, better moments. But wrestlming he Ate holds true to Savage and Flair, Piper versus Heart and of course just the slew of Golden Era characters throughout the program. Uh just weird ending of is that Warrior?
Speaker 2: Is that not Warrior?
Speaker 4: Even Hogan being shocked like he's holding he's he's oh my god, he's back and.
Speaker 2: They hold each other's hands and the fires to going off.
Speaker 4: That's the last image you see, and it was it was a very strange moment for the Golden Era because Hogan's out, Warriors back, and then eventually Warriors out at the end of ninety two and we are off to the New Generation and then Attitude era, and a lot of changes are happening in the company. But mister Mooney, thank you again so much here in the Golden Era talking about WrestleMania eight from the Hoosier Dome, I'm ce fall he Shaw Mooney, have a wonderful day.
Speaker 2: And we'll see you next time. Bye bye.
Speaker 1: It's the Golden Age, tong Juie, not so fantasy, sat in the real history. The Gold tell me to Julie.