Speaker 1: Tired of the everyday routine, ever dream of a life of romantic adventure. You want to get away from it A we.
Speaker 2: Offer you Escape.
Speaker 3: Escape Transcribe to free you from the four walls of today for a half hour of high adventure.
Speaker 1: It is September of nineteen thirty nine. The Germans are about to march into Poland, and you were standing an english manor house with a complete list of Nazi agents in your possession. While facing you guns drawn. Are three people.
Speaker 4: Who do get that list would gladly kill you.
Speaker 3: Today with Ben Riot starred as there everar Domine, we bring you an exciting story of super espionage, as E. Phillips Oppenheim told it in his Fast novel The Great Impersonation.
Speaker 5: Incredible For no Agenstein, this is incredible. He's strong, dead, drunk You seldom otherwise hold the light closer to the cut so I can see her other truly incredible for No Ragenstein, You and he as a like as that. I would share it with you. Lying here on the cut here knows mouth everything like a smudged on shmear portrait of yourself.
Speaker 2: Identical features and we have the same color eyes, and there's not an inch of difference in our height.
Speaker 4: Where did you find him?
Speaker 2: Or he's stagger into camp three days ago? He had been hunting lion up ripper until his boys deserted him. He had not paid them in several months together. I sent a runner to fetch you advance.
Speaker 5: That is something I shall have to report the Berlin as a serious breach of discipline.
Speaker 2: From ragish time.
Speaker 5: You are to avoid all contact with me except through the usual channel.
Speaker 2: Doctor Schmidt, May I commit me to finish.
Speaker 5: Obedience to orders is as necessary in the Secret Service as it is in any other branch of the German Army. I understand I have spent twenty years here in Tanganika establishing myself as a harmless old archaeologist. During that time I have created an espionage organization taken to none right under the noses of the English.
Speaker 2: Not once have.
Speaker 4: They suspected me.
Speaker 5: It's all that to be ruined because you choose to engage in the little frolic of your own.
Speaker 2: This was not a prolic, so I wait a risk very carefully and considered it worthwhile. I believe you will agree with me when I tell you that this man is ever a dominie an English baronet, and that we attended Oxford together. Shall I continue? Yes?
Speaker 5: Yes, continue from the ragish time he say ne'er do well.
Speaker 2: He lives on a small some that comes to him each month from his estate in Norfolk. He has been here in Africa almost as long as I eleven years. But I could go on for hours. I know as much about him as he does himself. And I've been thinking.
Speaker 5: That you could go to England as Everard Dominie, and no one there would be device.
Speaker 2: Doctor Schmidt, a German agent in England operating at the highest social.
Speaker 4: Level, would be invaluable.
Speaker 5: I agree, But but what sir? The proposal raises three questions in my mind? So right about the assignment upon which you are engaged here?
Speaker 2: A certain flexibility as necessary in these meriss.
Speaker 5: And how will doctor Goebbels feel about your leaving Africa?
Speaker 2: Surely by this time he has either forgiven me or forgotten the entire incident.
Speaker 5: You don't know the little doctor if you think that when someone steals away one of his women as you did.
Speaker 2: What was her name, Stephanie Strowe?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, Stephanie Strom. He never forgets, never forgives. But I you'll undertake the responsibility for initiating your plan. Prepare to leave for England at once. You will receive her orders before you in Bak.
Speaker 2: Thank you, sir.
Speaker 4: I must go now. There are many arrangements to be made.
Speaker 2: Sir. You said that there were three questions raised in your mind.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I was wondering what to do with this Englishman. Kill him as soon as possible, and dispose of this body. Good luck for Grgenstein, hil Hitler.
Speaker 2: Thank you, sir, Thank you very much, Alidler. That night a news everard too many was born, and Leopold Raggenstein vanished from the face of the earth. But the Schmid's arrangements were most thorough, and I arrived in London less than a month later.
Speaker 4: Mister Mangan will see you now, sir.
Speaker 2: But thank you, my.
Speaker 6: Dear sir, reverd a most unexpected pleasure, most dear me. How changed you are and how well you.
Speaker 2: Don't credit African is a Mangan, A wonderful country.
Speaker 6: It's done wonders for you, dear me. Are you thinking settling down here for a time.
Speaker 2: That depends a little upon what you have to tell me.
Speaker 6: Oh yes, yes, of course. Regarding the matter of raja unthank nothing has been heard of him since the day you left England. His body has never been found.
Speaker 2: And my wife, her.
Speaker 6: Ladyship's condition is I believe unchanged. She is an excellent physical health, but mentally.
Speaker 2: He still swears to take my life if I ever I sleep under the same roof for she well, she I may very likely settle down at Dominio.
Speaker 6: Oh, I'm afraid the estate is still not in very good condition. All those debts you are behind.
Speaker 2: Right quite The business object of my visit to you is to ask you to make arrangements as quickly as possible for the paying off of the mortgages of the Dominie estates. I've been making a good deal of money in Africa, Great.
Speaker 6: Scott, a dominee making money in the forty years i've managed the Dominie interests. I've never known that to happen. I can hardly believe it.
Speaker 2: Well, have lunch with mister Mangan and I'll tell you something of my speculations in Africa.
Speaker 6: Thank you, sir.
Speaker 2: Oh, my knowledge of restaurants in London is a bit dated.
Speaker 6: May I suggest the Carlton excellent? Give me your hat, sir. Everdad, I shall check it out with you.
Speaker 2: All right, I'll wait for you right here, Lep, and.
Speaker 4: You let me know you're in England.
Speaker 7: Leopol Happy.
Speaker 2: I think you're making a mistake. My name is not Leopold Darling. Didn't deny knowing me, Madam, I do not have the pleasure. My name is Dominie Everard, Dominie, I don't Leopold.
Speaker 8: My address is seventeen Belgrave Square. Come there at seven this evening, my dear shall expect you at seven seven.
Speaker 7: H dear me.
Speaker 6: Wasn't that Stephanie Stroke Well?
Speaker 2: I I don't know. She mistook me for someone else.
Speaker 6: Oh she's a marvelous act christ marvelous. I saw her in Macbeth last month and a.
Speaker 4: Table for two, Yes, sir, this way please.
Speaker 6: She played Lady Macbeth, you know, and in that seat.
Speaker 2: Semen, my dear fellow, how are you Everard?
Speaker 4: What a surprise?
Speaker 2: May I introduce my friend and legal mister Mangan. Mister Mangan, mister, how pleasure? Seman and I were business associates in Africa. Will you join us at lunch? Semen?
Speaker 4: Thank you, but I cannot Where are you staying? Evrad?
Speaker 2: At my estate in Norfolk near flank. I am driving there this season?
Speaker 4: Why I have to be in Norfolk and business tomorrow be my guest?
Speaker 2: Will you?
Speaker 4: Thank you? Evrad, thank you, and good day mister Mangan.
Speaker 6: Good day, sir. Now as I was saying I what was I saying?
Speaker 2: You were about to ask me if I cared for a drink? And I was about to say, yes, a Scotchron solo.
Speaker 6: Oh, yes, the same for me, Yes, sir sir? Do you think it wise to return to Domini Hall before Lady Dominie has been prepared for it?
Speaker 2: Mister Mangan? Does she really regard me still as the murderer of Roger?
Speaker 6: The mystery has never been solved. It's well known that you two fought that night and that you staggered home almost senseless Roger, and thank has never been scene since.
Speaker 2: If I had killed him, why wasn't his body fine? Oh?
Speaker 6: There are many theories and quite a few superstitions. You may as well be prepared for one of them. There's not a soul for miles around Domini Hall who doesn't believe the ghost of Roger unthank still haunts the black Wood near where you fought.
Speaker 2: But that's incredible.
Speaker 6: Yes, yes I would agree, except that from time to time it has been heard shrieking and sobbing.
Speaker 2: Oh, come, I have.
Speaker 6: Heard it myself.
Speaker 2: Time, mister Mangham, just a bit.
Speaker 6: But we shall be there in a few minutes. I telephoned before we left London, and they have rooms ready for us.
Speaker 2: Any of the old servants still left, oh?
Speaker 6: None. Every servant and caretaker we've had there has given notice within a month. At least a dozen swore that they had seen the ghost of Roger unthanked and heard his call at night. That's the sole reason why I haven't recommended long ago that you should get rid of missus anthing.
Speaker 2: Oh, she is still in attendance upon Lady Domina.
Speaker 6: We couldn't get anyone else to stay there, and her Ladyship absolutely declines to leave the hall through that gate.
Speaker 2: Sir, Yes, I remember. Oh, some of the old wall is down.
Speaker 6: I see that wall has been down, to my knowledge, for thirty years.
Speaker 2: Of course, i'd forgotten.
Speaker 6: We've kept the old place weather tight, and I don't think you will miss the timber.
Speaker 2: We were forced to sell any from the blackwood.
Speaker 6: Not a twig. Not one of the woodmen would ever go near the place.
Speaker 2: You and I will take a look at the blackwood in the morning.
Speaker 6: Well, if you insist, sir, how how does it feel to be at home after all these years?
Speaker 2: I feel as though this is my first visit.
Speaker 6: E Oh, good evening, missus unthank.
Speaker 9: There's no place in this house for you, Everard Dobeny, no place here for a murderer, my good woman, race me Edward Germany, you who murdered my son and made a mad woman.
Speaker 2: Of your wife. Missus unthank, return to your duties at once and understand that this has his mind to enter or leave when I.
Speaker 6: Choose, and you will treat Sir Everard with respect. Have rooms been prepared for us?
Speaker 9: You will be in the west wing, mister Mangan, and the oak room has been prepared for sir Everard.
Speaker 6: You mentioned respect, mister Mangan.
Speaker 9: If he stays here against my bidding, perhaps her Ladyship will show him what respect means.
Speaker 6: Good night, dear, dear, dear, my dear sir, I'm dreadful, sid.
Speaker 2: That's quite all right, quite all right. Well, I I think I'll turn in immediately here. We'll make the runs at the estate after breakfast.
Speaker 6: Are you really going to sleep in the oak room?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 6: Why have you forgotten it? Next to her Ladyship's and and no.
Speaker 2: I have not forgotten. Good night, mister Mangan. I do not know how long I had been asleep when I felt that thin, cold pressure against my throat. I opened my eyes and I saw a hand, a small slim hand, in the moonlight, just beneath my chin.
Speaker 7: If you move, you will die your name. Still, I wish to look at you, Rose. You are very brave. You have come here, braver than I remembered.
Speaker 2: Why do you wish to kill me?
Speaker 7: Doesn't it say somewhere a life for a life you killed Roger One think last night, the spirit called to me below my window. No, don't move. Let me look at you, my husband, the strange thing to own after all these years a husband.
Speaker 2: What what do you see?
Speaker 7: You're wonderfully changed, better looking.
Speaker 2: I have changed, Rose, and I've come back a rich man. I shall bring some wonderful doctors here, and they'll make you quite strong and well again.
Speaker 7: I've been wondering why I don't kill you, ever, as I've sworn to.
Speaker 2: I know now I.
Speaker 7: Know why I don't why, Rose, because I've just realized you won't ever heard at all That's why you needn't fever that I shall kill you, because you're not ever at all.
Speaker 2: I spent the most of the next day going over the estate with Mengan, and when he left for London in the afternoon, he carried with him my truck for ninety thousand pounds to settle the mortgage on Domini. And soon after his departure, Simon arrives. And it was very good of you to have invited me or come into the library. How is your trip here?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 4: Very pleasant? Very pleasant? The countryside is lovely this time of year. And how did it Goleopold?
Speaker 2: Well, I think Mengan accepted me completely, as ever had Dominie. And if I says for myself, I think that I have made a very convincing transformation into an English country gentleman. Of course, it's been uncommonly expensive. Every penny who gave me when we met at Cape Town is gone to pay off the mortgage of Cerebraard's a with me on my estate.
Speaker 4: Well, we could not have you return home to a poverty stricken domain. You'd have held no place whatsoever in English social life, and no welcome from those with whom we desire you to stand. Well now there is no bottom to a person. These matters and more will be deposited to your account.
Speaker 2: From my African investments.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, from your African in destinies. So all has gone smoothly, h yeah.
Speaker 2: All except for one thing. Stephanie Strom met me by chance in a restaurant yesterday. She recognized me at once, of course, and seemed quite piqued when I denied knowing her. She demanded I called upon her at her home yesterday evening, man as it occurred to you that she has claims upon Leopol, upon Ragstein, which would altogether interfere with the career of ever O Domini. Our relationship before I left Germany was fairly well known, and if we are seen together now someone might put two and two together.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, you're right. Of course, I'll see what I can do.
Speaker 2: It will not be easy. Stephanie is extremely strong, willed and impetuous.
Speaker 4: She will do as she is told. See anything else, no good? Now, listen very carefully. I have instructions for you. Listening, we move upon Poland in September. Now, if England declares war, it will, of course when the espionage work here extremely difficult in two major respects. One one, the English will redouble security precautions, and two it will be almost impossible to bring in money with which to pay our agents in this country. It is with the second difficulty that you would be concerned. Your function will be that of paymaster. Now from now until September, three million pounds will be given.
Speaker 2: To you, Ah. To whom do I disperse this money?
Speaker 6: Ah?
Speaker 4: In the day we begin to conquer Poland. Written instructions, together with a list of all our agents here and in Ireland, will be placed in your hands.
Speaker 2: Understood.
Speaker 4: So until then live the life of Sir Evward Domini Baarnett. So I will visit you from time to time to keep your bust of the pence.
Speaker 2: So goodbye for the present, Reopold, I have a.
Speaker 4: Million things to do both, and good luck in your imposination.
Speaker 2: Thank you, I think I shall need it.
Speaker 3: In just a moment we will return to escape. But first May sixteenth we'll see the opening of the United States Treasuries. Opportunity drive, a drive to acquaint all those Americans who aren't already saving by US savings bonds with the opportunities. They are missing. Men and women who know through experience. The many merits of this kind of saving are urged to become volunteer salesman for the US Treasury. If you would like to help sell American opportunity, get in touch with your County Savings Bond chairman right away. And now with our star Ben right as van Bragistein and Sir Everard Domine, we return to the second act of escape and the great impersonation.
Speaker 2: Lord Sieman's instructions to the latter, and pursued exactly the cause I thought so ever Ad Domini himself would be likely to take. I put Lady Dominie in the hands of a doctor Harrison, a psychiatrist. I pensioned missus anthinkoff, but to my surprise, she remained in the vicinity. I began to entertain upon a lavish scale, shooting parties, hants, dinners and dances. Unavoidably, Stephanie appeared among my guests from time to time. It was evident from her manner that Semon had spoken to her concerning me, and quite forcibly, that was also evident that she did not like it. I could see her patients wearing thinner and thinner, and one Friday to Monday, as I was walking through the garden after breakfast.
Speaker 8: I wish to speak to you.
Speaker 1: Alon.
Speaker 2: Your guests are well.
Speaker 8: Occupied, and in any case I'm one of them.
Speaker 2: What is it, Stephanie?
Speaker 8: You've lost your love for me? You've changed so much and in so many.
Speaker 2: Ways, Stephanie, I thought it I'd been impressed upon you. I am not Leopold, but ever a Dominie, an Englishman and the owner of this house, and the husband of Lady Domini.
Speaker 8: I can almost believe you are an Englishman. You stand there, cold and the aloof.
Speaker 7: As one you who tears are fallen upon my hand?
Speaker 4: Whose lips you speak of?
Speaker 2: One who is dead? What has changed you like this?
Speaker 8: What is tried to pull the passion in you?
Speaker 2: Careful Stephanie? Someone is coming, Yes, what is it? Parkins, Big Pardons, But Lady Dominie's returned. Oh thank you Pakins. Stephanie. Will you excuse me?
Speaker 8: Something has just occurred to me, and I shall not see you, or rather trouble you for a while. I'm going to take a sea voyage se.
Speaker 2: Where to Africa?
Speaker 8: Leopold to Africa?
Speaker 10: May I see my wife, doctor Harrison this evening. Perhaps it's been a fatiguing journey for her. I would prefer to rest as much as possible.
Speaker 2: How is she well? Except for one hallucination?
Speaker 4: She's in perfect.
Speaker 10: Health, and this one hallucination that you're not her husband. It's not within my power to dispel this hallucination.
Speaker 2: You are the one to do it. That's why I brought her home. What can I do? Doctor? She needs warmth and affections over art, I see. I'm very grateful to you, doctor. I I shall do everything I can to complete her recovery. Thank you, it's I Rose, May I come in?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 2: Never, Rose, I I couldn't go to sleep before welcoming you home.
Speaker 7: Thank you, ever, dear, that makes me very happy.
Speaker 2: You're looking well and extremely lovely.
Speaker 7: I am well. All the foolishness is gone. I know that whatever happened to poor Roger was not you who killed him. I know that I never really heard his ghost call to me. It it was my imagination. I can't think why I ever wanted to hurt you. I'm sure I love you.
Speaker 2: Then why do you doubt that I am your husband?
Speaker 7: You're so lightened, yet so unlike him. He's daddy died in Africa.
Speaker 2: Then who am I Rose, I.
Speaker 7: Don't know, but you're kind to me. And when you're near I am.
Speaker 2: Happy, Rose. Look, I am emperor, I am can't you see he's Roger?
Speaker 7: He's calling.
Speaker 2: Ever I do hear it? Don't hide, not just in my head. Rose, Let me go.
Speaker 7: I must wave to him from the window. He never rest until I waved to him from the window.
Speaker 2: Please Rose, Rose, if you love me, do one great favor for me.
Speaker 4: Do not go to the window.
Speaker 2: Don't wave, I must wave.
Speaker 7: I can't stand his cuiet.
Speaker 2: Rose, as you love me?
Speaker 7: Please all right, Errod, how do as you say? But hurry, hurry, please hurry.
Speaker 2: I ran out of her suite and down the stairs. Parkins was standing in the entrance to Domini Hall, a heavy walking stick in his hand. I told him to follow me and we hurried through the garden and there beneath Rose's window, I saw a dark shave. Slowly, now, Parkins, slowly and quietly, Parkies, come on your stick. Oh well well done, Parkins. How do you have a match? Yes, sir, well strike it man, strike it O very good. Shi. Take a look and who is it? It's it's Roger. And thank her telephone the hospital in Flanknit to send an ambulance for him at once.
Speaker 6: Right, Roger, you've you've killed him, You've.
Speaker 3: Killed my son.
Speaker 2: He's not dead, missus unthanked. Oh, he deserves to be. He's jealousy. If not, Lady Dominie recovers, I will forgive both you and your son for this revolting hoax. If she does not, I wish you both the blackest corner of hell. Rose had received a great shock that night, but as the summer we're on she began to mend and doctor Harry and told me toward the end of August that he had every hope for our complete recovery. Meanwhile, the drift the world wal quickened, and on the morning of the first of September, the German army smashed its way across the border into Poland. Seaman telephoned me that morning to inform me that he would be at Domini Hall that evening for a business conference, and about nine o'clock he arrived.
Speaker 4: Mister Seaman is here, sir.
Speaker 2: Thank you Perkins O Hellos and now have you heard the terrible news, rad have you heard the wonderful news, Leopold, Our army is simply leaping ahead.
Speaker 4: I know I have been listening to the wireless and we have to work quickly, very quickly. I must be in.
Speaker 2: Ireland by tomorrow morning. Here take these what is it?
Speaker 4: These are microfilms, no larger than postage things. They contain your orders and the list of all our agents in these islands. Now, Leopold, the faith of our Esponagche service here is now.
Speaker 2: In your hands. I understand it. And speaking of precaution, as you're stoop to sit down just now at distinctly sor the shape of your revolve in your hip pocket, do you think it is wise to be carrying fire arms about just now? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, quite right here here take care of before me quick quick, get the films out of sight into the straw.
Speaker 2: Yes, what is it? Sorry to disturb yourself, but this strom is here.
Speaker 8: You insist upon seeing you.
Speaker 2: Stephanie, I thank you, Buggins. That will be all. Yes, Stephanie, I did not know you had returned from Africa.
Speaker 8: This afternoon, and I brought a visitor with me. Now tell me, doctor Schmidt, who is this man, Leopold or the Englishman?
Speaker 2: Way he is? He's the Englishman English?
Speaker 6: What have you done with Leopold. What have you done with him?
Speaker 2: He met with the fate he prepared for me. His body sleeps on the bed of the Rumor River.
Speaker 4: I don't understand you came to me at Cape Town, you at all from Hagershteins. Let us you know his history.
Speaker 2: We exchanged the most intimate competencies in his camp, the letters and papers I took from.
Speaker 4: Him, and the money, the three million pounds.
Speaker 2: If the German Secret Service wishes to formulate a claim and sewer, are you.
Speaker 9: You two lumps of earth class?
Speaker 7: You let this Englishman stand the lists.
Speaker 2: He has, the lists of agents, and they should prove up great interest to His Majesty's government.
Speaker 4: Do something.
Speaker 6: We are three against one.
Speaker 2: Doctor, not another step on our show to seen him get back seman, No, no, no, no.
Speaker 4: Don't don't shoot, don't shoot.
Speaker 2: Tell upon the military barocks a knowledge, ask him, present a car and a strong escort immediately, yes, sir, and then Parkins, come back here and see what my guests will have.
Speaker 4: Begoing now severrod how ish she's well, She's entirely well. See for yourself.
Speaker 10: Everard Or Rhodes, I died.
Speaker 7: Oh, my dearest, there were times when I couldn't believe you were my Everard and no, no, no, I know.
Speaker 3: Escape is produced and directed by Norman McDonald. Today we have presented transcribed the Great impersonation by E. Phillips Oppenheim, adapted for radio by Walter Newman, with editorial supervision by John Duncle starred as Sir Everard Domini was Ben Right with Gene Bates, John Dayner, Gabriel Windsor, Ted von ELTs, Edgar Berrier and Morrison, Parley Bear and Ramsey Hill. Special music was arranged and played by Ivan Dittmar. Next week at the same time you will hear tell It again, bringing you the great stories. You all be sure to listen again next week when we tell it again. It's Sunday night, and you think the troubles of the week lie ahead of you. But your troubles are nothing compared to the risks and hazards of running a general store. As Lumon Abner run their Jotam Down Emporium in Pine Ridge, Arkansas. Your troubles of business and your troubles in love dissolve like bubbles. When Amos and Andy encountered the Kingfish and his latest gold bricks. Your troubles of trying to make good in the social world, in the worlds of music, sport, and fashion, of just trying to make good vanish like a dream. Once you've heard Jack Benny, Amos and Andy and Lumon Abner are heard on most of these same CBS stations. Jack Benny is heard on them all. This is Roy Rowan speaking. Now stay tuned for five minutes of the latest news and Let's pretend, which follow over most of these same stations. This is CBAS, the Columbia Broadcasting System.