Speaker 1: Welcome, dear listener, and thanks for joining us. I'm and I'm Stephen.
Speaker 2: And this is a podcast all about the weird and wonderful world of the dark comedy anthology series Inside number nine.
Speaker 1: On each episode, we'll be diving into another one of Steve Pemberton and Reese Sheresmith's twisted tales, putting it under a lens and examining it within an inch of its life.
Speaker 2: So make yourself comfortable, grab a cup of tea, and join us for the ninth degree.
Speaker 1: Hello, Hello, how.
Speaker 2: Are you doing?
Speaker 1: Yes, I am okay.
Speaker 2: Set them back into school?
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I mean it's quite a short half term this one, because we're off again in a few weeks, so nice. Then it's a long old stretch till the summer after that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I'm enjoying the all the bank holidays. I keep booking the odd day off, so I've not worked a four week in I don't know how long, just all these Forday weeks. I would quite like that to be a permanent fixture.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a nice time of year for that sort of thing. Mm AnyWho, So we're here this week for is it episode five? Yes?
Speaker 2: Five?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's an interesting one I.
Speaker 2: Hope to learn things. This is one that I don't know as much about, so I don't I feel I have missed out on a lot of stuff.
Speaker 1: You mentioned last week the theater wasn't really your sphere as much.
Speaker 2: Well, I really enjoyed the theater. I just don't have any experience of the backside.
Speaker 1: I'm keeping that in.
Speaker 2: I have much experience with the backstage side of theater. So yeah, or I'm not really all that well versed in Shakespeare to be honest. No, yeah, that really didn't really do a lot of it at school.
Speaker 1: Okay, did you know?
Speaker 2: I mean, you do Macbeth, so I do obviously know the story. But yeah, I don't know. I don't know if I've missed out on a lot of like their references.
Speaker 1: And yeah, well I won't pretend that I'm an expert in my Beth at all, but it is. I think it's a good one. It's the one that a lot of people, most people probably have done at school because it's a good story and it's a good one that kids can kind of get into. In fact, I work in year six in primary and we do it in year six, so I really, well, they don't actually do the Shakespeare text, but they look in the story. Yeah, which is good. We have a big debate about who do they think is most to blame for all the deaths? Would it be Macbeth, Lady Macbeth or the witches? Yeah, last time we did it, everyone said the witches, which I found really interesting because I'm like, for me, it's Macbeth because he's the one that did most of the killing, Like, no one forced him to do anything.
Speaker 2: No, but would you have done it if it weren't for the prophecies and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, but just this is what I said to the kids. I was like, if someone said to you, like you could be you know, rich and famous if you kill this person and then you go and kill that person, is that your fault for killing the person or therefore for telling you to do it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but if a mystic witch told me to do it.
Speaker 1: Well that's the thing. Personally, I don't think they are real witches. I think they're just round the old.
Speaker 2: Women nothing better to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly. But anyway, Yes, what I did like about this episode is that, like, you don't have to have an in depth knowledge of Macbeth, but true, just a surface level understanding of it sets you up to kind of see the parallels. I feel like it sort of pays lip service to the story of Macbeth without following it to the letter.
Speaker 2: No, definitely, And I don't know the story well enough to get exactly how close it is to everything, But I do appreciate that it's sort of the same sort of idea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I think that's all it is, to be honest, I don't think there's much sort of detail following the story. I think it's just a general sense of, you know, Jim, the understudy could achieve greatness if he takes this opportunity to you know, and the fiance in this case, who stands in as Lady Macbeth sort of egging him on. And I think what's quite good is how everyone knows that story and knows that, you know, it's her who's sort of pushing him and all this and that, and then actually they whipped that out from under your feet, and that it turns out it wasn't her. No, in the end, Well, I say that's a good thing. I don't know, do you think it's a good thing or.
Speaker 2: I really liked I No, I did like that twist to it, okay, but yeah, I completely forgot. Well, no, i'd remember. I knew that the twist. I remembered the twist being that she was more important than she seemed. But that was all I could really remember from However, many years ago I last watched this, and I think I fell into the trap of what they want you to think of it. It's the fiance and yeah, exactly, and then has he killed the fiance and all this sort of stuff, and I couldn't really remember how it went down.
Speaker 1: No, It's another one that's quite open ended, isn't it in some ways?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So for those is that don't remember, want a bit of a reminder. The Inside number nine wiki plot summary is Tony Warner's performance as Macbeth is the toast of London's West End. It would be very bad luck, indeed, if he was suddenly indisposed in some way, except for Jim is ever a hopeful understudy of course. Well there you go, as helpful as that is to anyone. Yeah. So it opens up, obviously with Steve's character as the actual Macbeth. He plays an interesting character in this one. He reminded me so much of pop from Legal Gentlemen, Which one's that the awful character. I think he's meant to be Greek.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: Yes, Yeah, he's just the most foul character in both of these, especially when he gets a bit drunk. And it's a funny episode because there's lots there's lots of little characters that pop up, even if they're only on screen for like two minutes. Obviously the next door neighbors. Yeah, you've got so much character built into those.
Speaker 1: I know. That's my favorite bit of the episode because as someone who has done a lot of theater and like is in that theater world, like people who are a bit tangential to theater, when they come into it, they all say the same things, and they absolutely nailed that. The thing about oh, it's the costumes and the lights that make it. You're like, okay, It's like my friend and I have a joke that whenever she's in a show, her mum comes to see it and she always says, well, the costumes were lovely. That's anything she says about it.
Speaker 2: You never really know what to say. And I could just feel the cringiness through the screen. It was just painful to even watch it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And when she says about there was a portal in this, wasn't there? I said to Bill that should be you like literally everyone says things for.
Speaker 2: That everyone's grandma.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very good. They nailed and the actors as well also liked how Steve's character was, you know, sitting there saying before they came in, I've got absolutely nothing to say to either one of the bill. He turns on.
Speaker 2: The charm was perfect.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Have you seen have you seen the Play that Goes Wrong?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: And do you know Mischief Comedy? Who do it? He really reminded me of Henry Lewis the woman the.
Speaker 2: Beard right guy?
Speaker 1: Yes? Yeah, is this character the way he was like. I like the bit when when sickly when he said about the people looking in their programs and he goes, look up, people, there's a theater that's happening now in front of you. So pompous. Yeah. Again he plays that, that pompous theater actor who thinks he's better than he is. So well, yeah, because you said in your synopsis about well, you didn't write it, but the synopsis said it said about his performance as Macbeth is the toast of London's west End. You hear a bit of him over the tannoy, and it's awful. I mean, it's just so sort of oh Shakespearean.
Speaker 2: You know. Do they have those tannoys in dressing rooms.
Speaker 1: I'm guessing yes, yeah, in like big theaters like that they would yet.
Speaker 2: Just playing what's happening in the on stage.
Speaker 1: Yes, so you're aware.
Speaker 2: So they kept saying on the tannoy the company of Macbeth, over and over. I thought that was the whole thing. You want to say, the name.
Speaker 1: It's a superstition, isn't It is.
Speaker 2: A thing, as much as everyone makes out it's a thing.
Speaker 1: I think these days, I don't know to be fair, because actors can be very superstitious, but like, if you're doing the play Macbeth, you can't really avoid saying it because it's in the text and all that.
Speaker 2: Maybe, yeah, when you're on stage is a bit different.
Speaker 1: But no, that's a good point.
Speaker 2: The fact that it was on the tune. I wouldn't whether that was intentional.
Speaker 1: That it was like, well exactly, yeah.
Speaker 2: It was bad luck for the whole throw and everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I hadn't actually thought of that, But that's a good point.
Speaker 2: I like there were cards up saying good luck and stuff everywhere, which obviously is another thing you don't do.
Speaker 1: I was going to ask you if you were aware of that, and obviously are break a leg being what you're supposed to say. Doesn't Jim say good luck at one point and Laura's like, oh don't?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think he does. Yeah. Yeah. I wondered how much of that was intentional on the like meta element of it of like, yes, the commentary on the episode itself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would say it probably is intentional. Yeah. Apparently there's loads of things you're not supposed to do in theaters. You're not supposed to whistle backstage.
Speaker 2: That's from Sailors.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I was told you do know lots about theater some stuff. I just haven't actually been there. I had all my fun facts ready for you.
Speaker 2: You know, because isn't it that Sailors used to do a lot of the like that's right, Yeah, that's work behind Yeah, and like the rigging and stuff. That's why it's called rigging exactly. I do know stuff. I just I just haven't done it well done. I'm a nerd.
Speaker 1: You are you are?
Speaker 2: Is that israel Hair's wig?
Speaker 1: Oh it's got to be a wig.
Speaker 2: It was horrible. I'm sorry it was real, but that was horrible.
Speaker 1: No. No, I think they're just because they're in every episode. I think they're trying to sort of make them look different than each one. And yeah, yeah, with that.
Speaker 2: So this is the thing that interested me, Like how understudies work, So, like how much practice did they have, Like they're expected to give the same performance that someone in the audience wouldn't know necessarily that they woul understudy. Yeah, but presumab we have next to none of the rehearsal time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it is. Yeah, I think they shadow the main cast in rehearsals, and they probably get separate times to go off in another room and run it and stuff. But I think, yeah, I think part of the job of being an understudy is just basically knowing what you've got to do without actually having done it very much. Yeah, which is a challenge, it must be.
Speaker 2: It must be really galling as well, being the understudied person knowing that everyone that's in the audience has got it that you're on stage as well, they're not getting a person that came to see and then having to use your opportunity to show off that you actually can do what you can do.
Speaker 1: Yes. Yeah, it's very much like an underdog position, isn't it.
Speaker 2: The first time I saw Phantom, I got the understudy for Phantom, Yes, and we were all like me and my gran run the front row in the middle. And it gets to the big bit at the end where he's doing his big speech to Christine, having taken the mask off and everything, and he forgets his line for all of about two seconds. But it felt like eternity, and I was close enough that I could see the terror in this poor guy's eyes. He was trying to remember what his next line was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, poor guy. Yeah, I mean I've had nightmares about drying on stage. I haven't I haven't actually acted on stage for a long time now, but yeah, if you are on stage and you're just completely dry, it just feel very powerless.
Speaker 2: And you're waiting for Betty in the wings, so yell your line out.
Speaker 1: Most shows I've done, we've never we've not used prompts, and I when I direct, i'd like to not have a prompt because I feel like if they're going to be used, then it sort of shatters the illusion. Yeah, so I prefer, you know, normally, actors are very good at helping each other out, and if you've forgot on your line, somebody else will know it and they might be able to guide the scene in the right direction and you know, sort things out.
Speaker 2: And throw things at you afterwards. Well.
Speaker 1: Yes, So I directed a play a couple of years ago, and it was there was this guy in it. They're all sitting out on the sofa eating cake and his line was supposed to be a nice cake and then move on, and he'd forgotten it, and people were sitting there and you know, just a waiting him to say it. And then in the end this woman just went, what do you think of the cake?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yes, they were doing their their understudy rehearsals. And the thing about I can understand the no blood but no swords feels a little bit risky. For I would love to know what their risk assessment is on giving someone that's not trained with swords suddenly with no notice, right gone stage with the sword.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, because you're right, Jim is saying several times throughout the thing that he hasn't done it with the swords, isn't he?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that wouldn't They would have to have run it through with the swords and with the fight director. Yeah, but I think because they're saying the fight directors in hospital, that's why they could Jacoby. Yeah, Jacoby, Yes, Jacoby hit him in the goolies with a nunchuck. That such an image, very specific. Yeah, you could just imagine ry Jack could be doing it as well. Yeah, oh, I'm so sorry. We've also got, obviously, Felicity the company manager, who's a nice interesting character, isn't she just And again she's very much they hit the nail on the head of you know that kind of company. I mean, I've not worked with company managers particularly, but like a stage manager kind of, which is a similar thing. There's so many regulations with health and safety and this and that. And when she's going on about a big quite angele about them signing out and signing in again that they only stepped out the door for a minute, like yeah, yeah, you do have to. And then it's quite a shock when she then tries to chat up Laura, Yeah, because she seems so straight laced and like by the book, and she goes and sort of does that and it's a bit like, Okay, yeah.
Speaker 2: I did think that was an odd choice. She's an interesting character, like why would she do that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I kind of didn't didn't fit really with what you see of her. Although I suppose people are complex.
Speaker 2: But be one thing to have hit on someone that's single but that's actually engaged feels a little bit like, yeah, you aren't very good here.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know was her intention to actually, you know, do anything with her or was it just to see her naked? You know, I think it was more that. I think it was more just opportunistic like true you know, yeah, poppy jeans and top of can we just say as well, like Kirsty the Dresser, I like her a lot. The actress Rosie Cavaliro. She's so good. Yeah, she's one of those actresses that's just like very normal and like she's like a normal person, like a real person.
Speaker 2: I haven't seen her in much, but I can only see her as a character in Friday Night Dinner if you've seen it.
Speaker 1: I haven't seen that. Well. I have seen bits of.
Speaker 2: It, but just very very gigly.
Speaker 1: Oh okay for me, it's what I know her from is that episode of Banana.
Speaker 2: I have seen it. I can't think what.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So for anyone who's not aware, I'll just explained that Banana was a little series of short half hour individual It's like an anthology like this series of LGBT stories by Russell Y Davies and some more emerging queer writers done about ten years ago now. And yeah, she was in. The one she was in was there was this young girl who was basically obsessed with her. I think she saw her in the supermarket and then she was like love at first sight, and it was just it was quite bizarre because it was this young sort of person who'd fallen in love with this older, middle aged lady who was nothing special. Like she says to herself in the episode, she was like, I'm just you know, I'm just me, like a mum, you know, going to the supermarket. And it was Yeah, she played that role so well as.
Speaker 2: Well, and she plays it so well here as well. Too believable. And then it's that dark turn at the end that really gets in that she does so well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean she seems quite unhinged at the end when she says about how she's been to see everything he's done, and she she comes several times a week to see the little differences in his performance, you start to think, oh, okay and utter this is creepy. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Act three, so that's when Tony's drunk and he really does change as a character. He becomes awful. Oh god.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if he wasn't bad enough.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, but it's painful some of the lines that he has when he's trying to get her in the shower and stuff.
Speaker 1: Oh god, when he sister, I could cure you. Yeah, homophobia.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think she's what you're looking for, dude.
Speaker 1: I've just got to call out when she says when Banquok came on and you said, fuck may there's a ghost.
Speaker 2: Not that, And the Australian accent just adds so much to it.
Speaker 1: But at the same time you can hear Steve's character doing it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well a dildo I see before me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the handle toward man had.
Speaker 2: And then you get all these the flash sort of flash forwards. I guess of like her covered in blood and stuff, which is quite creepy. I remember the first time I watched it. I think that was intrigued me more than anything else. Those bits.
Speaker 1: I mean, when she's offering him the dagger and saying take it. You know, it's quite. It's quite on the nose. Yeah, But then I suppose if it had turned out that yes, they were following the story of Macbeth and she was responsible on this, and that it would have been very on the nose. But the fact that they're sort of laying that groundwork and then they go a different direction with it. Yeah, I like when she's not mocking him. There is a bit where she's mocking him, but then she's also sort of just having a go at him and just saying you just don't want it enough. And she says about you're stuck in the corner of the room like a television on standby, like she's really like preying on his insecurities and stuff.
Speaker 2: Well, he doesn't ever feel like he actually wants it, wants it. I mean I kind of agree with her. Obviously I wouldn't say that to him, but it is brutal how she phrases it, but it's kind of true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess he's he's scared of, yeah, being successful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just you would be terrified, like he's your chance and then you could absolutely screw it up. Yeah, in front of a West End audience. Yeah, we must be terrifying for your first time halfway through a show as well. Yeah, when it gets to all the it gets harder and harder. I guess as the show goes on as well. So you've gott to jump in straight at eight or nine?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, but yeah, then they decided to put Tony back on. Yeah, because they think he's capable.
Speaker 2: Is that because they think he's capable? Is that because Felicity is not willing to put Jim on?
Speaker 1: It's partly that, isn't it. And I also think because Laura has been so pushing it, pushing it, saying no, he's ready, he can do it, he could do it. And I think Felicity's a bit like what she says about I'll make that call, thank you, like she thinks it's her job, which it is. So I guess she's maybe being contrary to what Laura saying.
Speaker 2: Just for the sake of it. Yeah, but I wouldn't tell what what level is she doesn't like Jim versus she does like Tony. What's what's tipping the scale as to where she went for because he clearly was he clearly was hammered. Oh yeah, and if it was vodka, it's going to as strong as he is now in twenty minutes time, it's going to be even worse once it's properly got into your system. Wig alcohol or whatever it turned out, well, yes, pure what's a wig alcohol?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like I would imagine it's like ethanol, like pure alcohol.
Speaker 2: Wigs are thirsty.
Speaker 1: Oh it's it's to clean them.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then of course he has a big accident. Yeah, he falls off the battlements.
Speaker 2: It's interesting as well that all this stuff that we never actually get to see any of it.
Speaker 1: No, very much in the wings, like an understand exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I read that they were apparently were originally planning it to be in the wings.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh that would have been interesting, but.
Speaker 2: Then they struggled for the nine element.
Speaker 1: Okay, and difficult, like because you've got to be silent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I guess it makes it more tricky. And then they settled on the dressing room. And also apparently they spent a long time working out what kind of level of actors they should be.
Speaker 1: I was reading that or yeah, personals. I definitely think they made the right choice because with am dram like, I just don't feel like, you know, you've got to have the stakes there for it to be, you know, like it's got to be the big time.
Speaker 2: You've got understand why someone might do what they were doing exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you don't really tend to have understudies in and Ram.
Speaker 2: True, I suppose, yeah. Sense. So now Jim's taken over. Yeah, and you find out that he's in hospital and it's all all gone wrong, everything's crumbling, So Flicity has been sacked. Yeah, Jims? Is it before his first performance?
Speaker 1: I think it must be.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's his first full performance, isn't it. Yes, that's right, and then he starts seeing he's blood in the mirror and stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it got me really intrigued at that point. Okay, I think I felt like it was maybe going somewhere else than where it was going, right, it was. Yeah, it was good, and it was as interesting as the CGI was.
Speaker 1: It was interesting, wasn't it. Oh? I forgot to mention earlier as well, like the moment when she pricks her finger with the safety pin or whatever it is. Yeah, that's obviously there so that there can be blood on the floor that he then sees and imagines. But I also saw it as an excuse for the lady macbeth character to get blood on her hands, which is obviously an iconic image. Yes, I expected her to say she couldn't get it out or something, but yeah, that would have been really on the nose.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a fine line of how far you can go to these well exactly.
Speaker 1: But then I mean they had they had the moment where she's like handing him the dagger saying take it, like yeah, it's a bit yeah yea. And yeah, Jim, once he gets the role, he gets airs and graces a bit quite quickly.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well I suppose more so in the next act, which is quite a while later, I guess, But yeah, he does. Yeah, he does quite quickly change.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean he's very much like, oh, you know, I'm going out for dinner with the cast and yeah, sorry, but you know, we don't really mix with the understudies and all that. Yeah, and asking her to leave and everything.
Speaker 2: He forgets his roots immediately.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's funny how power changes people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, especially when you consider at this point he fully believes Laura's just like set this guy up to oh yeah, be paralyzed. Yeah, you'd think he'd maybe be a little bit more on her side if nothing else to keep himself out of trouble, keep her on side from saying anything. M. Yeah, it's interesting what she's sat thinking at this point though, because she seems to act very much like she's done something.
Speaker 1: Well, yes, I was thinking that. And when she leaves the room and he says thanks for this, and she does this little look as if to say, okay, whatever. But yeah, I guess it's it's that kind of role. Was so tricky, isn't it. When you've got to let the audience believe one thing, but you've got to be convincing for what it actually is as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when there isn't actually as much of a reason as to why they should be doing what they're doing. M. I guess she's just, yeah, just going along with whatever he says at that point.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Because like I said, it's been a long while since i'd last watched it. I did think there was a lot more to what she'd done than she actually had done on this rewatch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think she did anything, No, she just she maybe she made a few suggestions, and you know it was mainly just the aching him.
Speaker 2: On, Yeah, to take probably just genuine unity, ye, honest, like persuasion, rather than actually gone to any lengths to do anything.
Speaker 1: M hm.
Speaker 2: But we're just assuming bad things because this program makes us think bad thing m m.
Speaker 1: Well, and because obviously it's you're meant to be following the plot.
Speaker 2: Of Macbeth, well that as well. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so yeah, then we get act.
Speaker 2: Five, Act five nineteen months later.
Speaker 1: Yes, which I thought was a strange time gap, because the way they play it, it feels like it's a longer time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it feels like quite a long time.
Speaker 1: I was. You know, maybe they could have almost chosen like nine years if they wanted to have nine in it.
Speaker 2: I assume they just purely wanted a nine and they maybe didn't want to go as far as nine years. Yeah, but the need to get him a new wig, Yes, ate you up a bit. He goes to a lot in nineteen months. Yes, he gets his little part on Game of Thrones.
Speaker 1: Yes, he's been to Broadway. I'm back, Yeah, taken Macker's to Broadway and now he's doing Dick the Shit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, have some respect. What would Derek Jacoby say?
Speaker 1: He probably says it too, Oh, darling, I'm doing Dick the Shit.
Speaker 2: It's crazy, how just a lick of paint makes that room look so much nicer. My god, does that room look hideous to start with? Yes, and then looks kind of okay, if not quite nice by the end of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I do think it was slightly strange, how like, because obviously this is the stars dressing room, like it's the lead character, but it's number nine, Like you wouldn't you think that will be number one?
Speaker 2: Well? I wondered this, Yeah, and would there even be nine dressing rooms?
Speaker 1: Probably?
Speaker 2: I don't know how big theaters are, but in.
Speaker 1: A big Western theater, and I would think they would be.
Speaker 2: I thought they doubled up and stuff.
Speaker 1: Oh, they probably do, Yeah, but I don't know. By the way, the establishing shot at the beginning, isn't that is in the Windoms Theatre?
Speaker 2: Is the Windoms? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Obviously they Yeah. So that was nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I wonder whether that was that they chose it because it was like the favorite one maybe and that's why they chose to do the show there later maybe, or whether it was purely just coincidence and available theater at the right the show. Yeah. I did think that was nice, and especially considering this is one of the earliest episodes to kind of the last thing as far as we know in the in the franchise, it's quite nice. But yeah, he's fully become the Tony character by the end, and then he changes so much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he really has. And then obviously we see Tony again, who's become quite a bit more of a sympathetic character. Since he's now paralyzing in a wheelchair, he's quite limited in terms of what he can do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's nice though that he's still able to keep in the game that he enjoys. Like he's still doing he's doing his audioboox and things, which is it's not like he's just given up and you know, he's just sat in his chair. He's still he's still getting to be part of what he does, like to a degree.
Speaker 1: Yes, But obviously that scene when Jim meets Tony again, like obviously Jim is thinking throughout this whole thing that his ex fiance was responsible for this, which I think is interesting. Then when he's when he asks him what about that girlfriend of yours and he sort of doesn't know who's talking about. Is he just masking that at that moment or.
Speaker 2: I wasn't sure it seems genuine.
Speaker 1: Because she you think she would be in his mind if he believed.
Speaker 2: That, especially seeing Tony again. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it turns out they're not together anymore. And I guess in the previous act when we saw him sort of saying, oh, I can't go to dinner with you because I'm going with the cast, and can you leave me to prepare and all that, it's kind of the beginnings of him sort of letting her go. Yeah, she's served her purpose.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which is quite sad because they seemed quite happy together at the start of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So whether something else has happened that we've not seen, Hugh, it's just the power's gone to his head and he's given up, which is quite sad, but presumably that's happened before he went to Broadway. Yeah, and then she's do we believe that she's actually committed suicide.
Speaker 1: As opposed to Kirsty killing her? Yeah, because there's that moment where she picks up the ring and she says, oh, I took it from Laura. I think she wanted me to have it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Is that because she's taking it off her dead body that she found or did she kill her? But would why would she kill her?
Speaker 2: So it's a less less obstacles between her and Jim.
Speaker 1: I would I would say, so she wants to be with Jim.
Speaker 2: Well, I think I think she doesn't necessarily want to be with him, but she wants to think that there's not someone that he likes more, or that she's like in control of his life and she's taking out people to him.
Speaker 1: I don't know, maybe yeah, because yeah, I didn't. I didn't get a sense that she wanted to be with him. I think it was just a sense of, oh, you know, you're you're amazing.
Speaker 2: That's the difficulty with these things. There's so many questions like this that you just don't we don't have enough information to go on. But I think I was very fifty to fifty on on whether I think she killed her or she committed suicide.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't know. To be honest, I think I was leaning to I believed it. Actually I think she did. I think it was a sense of.
Speaker 2: Suicide and why would she. I know that we're meant to believe she committed suicide and that fits with the guilt thing. Yeah, but once you take the guilt thing away, especially in that theater, Yeah, it was in that dressing room. Yeah, what reasons does she have to mmm?
Speaker 1: But I don't know. I feel like if if we were supposed to think that Kirsty had killed her, wouldn't they have wouldn't they have made it slightly clearer somehow? Because I don't know what evidence is there to say that she killed her just to picking up the ring that thing, Oh and.
Speaker 2: Just that Kirsty's weird. Well, yes, and I don't really believe anything.
Speaker 1: She says, well, yeah, I just love her performance, you know, the bit when she's putting on his boots or whatever, and he says about Laura was responsible for Tony's accident, and then she just looks up and she goes, well that was a Laura was like, oh that was me, Like I made a cup of tea drink. Yeah.
Speaker 2: But yeah, we've only got Kirstie's word that that's how she died, and that's what makes me not believe it. That's true, But also she didn't. She just matter of factly said that she bumped off Tony. I guess in a way, So why wouldn't she say, oh, yeah, I killed her.
Speaker 1: Hm, that's true. I mean maybe if you said you don't believe anything, she says she maybe she's not even dead. Maybe she's just saying that, Well, why she would. I don't know. One bit that I confused me actually is I think it was just before Tony's accident. There's that bit where Laura is left alone in the dressing room. She takes her ring off, and then she hears water in the shower and she goes to the shower and I'm like, and then then there's nothing there, And I don't know what that was supposed to be.
Speaker 2: No, it kind of read like it was if it was a regular series, that would feel like that was a storyline that they never went somewhere with and they forgot to, whereas here it must have been. It's obviously intentional, but I just I don't really understand why or is it her? Is it meant to be shown that she's going I think she's going mad? I don't know.
Speaker 1: No, that was a bit strange.
Speaker 2: There are quite a few bits in this way. They're clearly put in to make you think one thing, but that don't work once you wance that's proved not to be true exactly, which is a bit of a down for for the episode.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately for me, I agree. I agree. Actually, I think that's the thing about a good twist.
Speaker 2: It's got to work logically once you know the answer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's going to work both ways, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I did enjoy the twist, and I did enjoy how sudden it went so dark and how you see on like Jim's face just like oh no, oh god, what's this woman going to do to me next? Kind of thing, like she's always just watching him and watching his life. M It's terrifying, Yes, especially when you know how quickly she could bring down someone's career.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I think she was great casting for that role because, like you said, she's so she's so normal and down to earth and just sort of you wouldn't you wouldn't expect anything of her to be doing anything like that, And.
Speaker 2: Of all the bit characters until towards the end, she is she's one of the smallest parts.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeh, it's still quite like she's not like she's not there, but you wouldn't have really ever thought anything about her. She owned that last that last scene so much.
Speaker 1: She did. She's very good. Yeah, it's an okay episode. Yeah, it's funny because when I first watched it when I was going through the series for the first time. I got to this one and I was like, oh, I really enjoyed that. And I think it's probably because of the theater stuff and it sort of felt relatable to me. But having watched it again a couple of times for this I'm like, I don't know. I think it's there's lots in it that I do enjoy, but it's again, it's not one of their strongest ones. I think if we're going to start to think about rating it, I think for me, it's on a par with last week's. So I'm going to give it a three, which is what I gave last week's as well.
Speaker 2: I I'd probably say I enjoyed it slightly more okay, but it's a four too much. That feels really cruel. No, I would probably say three as well. Yeah, I did enjoy it, but I didn't. It wasn't as for me as a lot of other episodes are. And that's fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have exciting news by the way, Oh yeah, I spotted the hair. Yeah, finally you can do the honors.
Speaker 2: Where was it?
Speaker 1: It was on the dressing table. I mean, it's pretty much the only place it could be in this episode in the shower right next to the mirror. Yeah, it was. It was very happy I saw it.
Speaker 2: I mean tree for next week. So I can't remember where next week's is, and it could be in a lot of places, but yeah, keep an eye up for that. Did you spot my title last week?
Speaker 1: Oh? We forgot to do it the beginning to me, let's do it now? I did spot it. It was very clever.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: If she wants to enlighten listeners.
Speaker 2: It was three by three. Yeah, especially when they're trying to sort of a portion of who gets what, like this starts like the three of them like display it three by three and then they do it into four and note should be into five. Yes, I thought I did that one.
Speaker 1: Okay, you did very good, very good.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna start writing scripts though, because these are going to start geting. Yeah, really contrived stories that we're gonna have to come up with.
Speaker 1: Well, we'll see, we'll see. And yes, listeners, I wonder if you spotted the one that I slipped in to this episode. I know you did. Yeah, it was probably quite obvious, wasn't it. I like to think I'm subtle, but probably not at all.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I hope that the people are like listening in the gym or whatever and they're not really they can't really focus that intently.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but yes, I'll reveal that next week.
Speaker 2: As to what it was last step for the series next week.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, it's one that I remember really liking the first time. Yeah, yeah, I do like this one, quite excited.
Speaker 2: Good way to end the series. So we'll be back with the harrowing next week.
Speaker 1: We will, but until then, we are closing the door on number nine.
Speaker 2: But you never really leave, do you.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to the Ninth Degree. If you'd like to get into you can find us on Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok at ninth Degree Pod, or email us at Ninthdegree pod at gmail dot com. You can also leave us a rating or a review wherever you get your podcasts.