Speaker 1: You're listening to KPI AM six forty the Bill Handles show on demand on the iheartradiops. One of the real upsides about cocaine.
Speaker 2: If you're a nosepicker like I.
Speaker 1: Am, some of the best boogers in the world come out of a nostril that has had a lot of cocaine in it. By the way, for those of you that have done cocaine, you know exactly.
Speaker 2: What I'm talking about. And now handle on the news, ladies and gentlemen, here's Bill Handle.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it is now a wednesdayday, January twenty ninth, almost past January years going very very quickly. Hey, guess what, everybody. The AUS team is back and.
Speaker 2: Let's say hello to the crowd. First of all, Amy, so you took your birthday month off?
Speaker 3: Huh, well, just two days of it.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you a question. First of all, your birthday is one day. But let me ask you a question.
Speaker 1: When people take their they celebrate their birthday the huge accomplishment that they have created by being born. I know that's you know, it's a lot of stuff you did on that one right.
Speaker 3: It's a celebration of the day that you arrived on the planet.
Speaker 1: You know, maybe it's the start of your S and M career when you get your butt slapped by the doctor.
Speaker 2: I don't know the answer to that.
Speaker 1: Okay, I don't know why I just thought of that, But anyway, happy birthday, all right, Cono is back two days Cono ill just took the day off celebrating Amy's birthday.
Speaker 4: No maybe, okay, okay?
Speaker 1: Uh So and the rest of the crowd, Well, Neil has been here virtually the whole time, and of course has.
Speaker 2: Been here as I have.
Speaker 1: I know you've been here while everybody's gone, Neil, all right, So anyway, we're all back. We are all back, functioning and moving onwards and upwards barely.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, all right, what are we going today?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: I expect a fair amount.
Speaker 1: We have John Decker, uh president on President Trump's press secretary Carrion Levitt.
Speaker 2: What she said, Caroline Levitt.
Speaker 1: So John is our KFI White House correspondent who is really embedded with the White House. And the only I don't think we have doctor Jim today, Doctor Jim Jim Keeney. I think he's got a bunch of meetings today goes to show you how important he thinks we are all right you guys ready to go star.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, hold on a minute. Yeah, that's good, that's good. Good cono.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yippie and yippie yay, excellent okay and uh, Neil, I want you to sound excited too.
Speaker 5: Well, I'm just worried about Kno. That sounded like the same noise he let out when he was spanked as a baby.
Speaker 1: So yo, yeah, okay, uh no, that's let's go yes again.
Speaker 2: Okay, guys, Uh, let's do it.
Speaker 1: Time for Handle on the News with Amy King, Nil Savedra and me lead story. The Trump administration has uh does not fail to not surprise.
Speaker 2: Donald Trump came into the presidency.
Speaker 1: Saying promising he was going to shake up the government and fro a minute one that.
Speaker 2: Is the case.
Speaker 1: So this last one yesterday issues an order that just freezes government spending. Says that's it, We're stopping the government across the board. No more federal spending on anything.
Speaker 2: Or almost anything.
Speaker 1: And of course, and that took everybody by surprise, even his staunchest defenders. And what happened was a whole bunch of Democrats, various agencies and you all had civil rights groups just filing an immediate lawsuit to stop it because the money was going to stop.
Speaker 2: That's it. Checks were not going to be written. Government stops.
Speaker 1: It's like a government shutdown, except it was by Fiat, not by Fiat the car, but by Fiat from the presidency, just in case you were confused. So a federal judge temporary blocked it, or at least part of it, the plans to freeze all federal aid, which of course unleashed unbelievable amounts of confusion, worry, And so the judge said, I'm blocking that order to freeze until at least five o'clock February third, giving at least some time for the agencies to react, to do what they can, and the courts to look at it.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's pretty peremptory.
Speaker 1: And yeah, this, you know, well, I'm gonna do more about this because there is so much is.
Speaker 5: That the system works, like the checks and balances are.
Speaker 2: No, well not quite. Here's no not quite.
Speaker 1: And here's the problem is that the presidency has gotten more and more and more power.
Speaker 2: The Trump administration.
Speaker 1: It posits this message that even though Congress has the sole power to.
Speaker 2: Fund anything that goes on in the government.
Speaker 1: Even the presidency, according to Trump, has all of the power. Even if Congress has already funded various programs, it doesn't matter. Trump says, I don't care. I'm putting a stop to it. Now we're going to see what the courts have to say that.
Speaker 2: When the president.
Speaker 1: Says I'm putting a stop and I don't care.
Speaker 2: What the court says.
Speaker 1: That, by the way, actually create That instance was created during Watergate with the tapes. You remember the Watergate tapes that Nixon wouldn't turn over, And he said, even if the Supreme Court says I have to turn them over, I don't think I'm going to unless a substantial number of.
Speaker 2: Justices vote that way.
Speaker 1: He effectively said, if it's a five to four decision against me, I'm not turning over the tapes. Whoa ignoring a Supreme Court order. By the way, the court has no enforcing powers none. All it does is enforced through the executive branch. And when the executive brand says no, thank you, Now, what does the court do? There are any court cops. There's no court police.
Speaker 5: Well, that's the thing. The presidency doesn't have more power. It's always had the same power. Its just meep out, people test it.
Speaker 2: And that is well, we don't know.
Speaker 1: The presidency's gotten more and more and more power policing actions. It used to be Congress had to be declare war. Last time Congress declared war was December eighth, nineteen forty one. And so we'll see what the presidency does. And what's amazing, and I'm going to talk a lot more about this later on, is that as the president is saying, I am going to do what I'm going to do, and I don't give a rats what Congress says, because I am the president, his staunchest supporter, Mike Johnson, speaker is actively supporting him and making Congress irrelevant. I think Donald Trump is moving towards Congress simply being an.
Speaker 2: Advisory board, not the power that it has.
Speaker 1: And Mike Johnson is saying, yes, yes, take away all of our power. You are the president. Whatever you want to do, we will do. And by the way, I'm not exaggerating on that one at all.
Speaker 5: Okay, I'm going to such a precedent, you know, because oh it's insane.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's insane.
Speaker 5: It is. It is.
Speaker 1: The imperial presidency is on the rise. It is crazy, making Okay, Well.
Speaker 3: The governor's asking for a little help from his friends, although I don't know if their friends or not, but Governor Newsom is asking Magic Johnson, Dodgers chairman Mark Walter, and twenty twenty eight Olympics organizer Casey Wasserman to lead a new private sector initiative to support wildfire recovery. It's called LA Rises. Walter and his foundation and the LA Dodgers Foundation will provide up to one hundred million dollars to jumpstart the fundraising efforts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's real money. That is that's a start. It's a good start, So I guess that's good news. It is obviously in a need help. We're gonna do with some more stories about what happened during the fire, and that's going to happen at seven point.
Speaker 2: Thirty about what the EPA is doing or plans to do.
Speaker 5: Well. The exciting part is there's more water in California because of Trump. Oh wait, maybe not. California water officials said this week there's no truth to President Donald Trump's assertion the US military has entered California and turned on the water.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: Hold on a minute, that's not fair. They did turn on the water. They had shut it down for three days for maintenance, then they turned it back on again, So technically he is right.
Speaker 2: The Feds have turned on the water.
Speaker 5: Don't know if the military entered. Trump's comments that were made on Monday on this his social media platform True Social latest in a series of remarks he made and actions he's taken related to the state's water policy. This all is following the devastating wildfires as we know, it has devastated our area. He's off in offering what is called an incomplete or incorrect assessment of the state's water policies, are trying or tying together unrelated issues, so.
Speaker 2: That that's not fair Neil to say that he's absolutely right, had given you the news right.
Speaker 1: Had the water flowed from the Delta to southern California, there would have been plenty of water to fight the fires in the Palisades, even though the water in northern California flowing to southern California has zero to do with the water supplying the Palisades.
Speaker 2: Zero. But it doesn't matter. Let's put it all together. Oh, it doesn't stop, does it.
Speaker 3: And probably won't for what three years and fifty one weeks?
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Probably tic tic tic tic tic tic tic scientists and global leaders say the doomsday clock has been reset to the closest humanity has ever come to self annihilations. That's that's lovely news. The Bulletin for the Atomic Scientists moved the metaphorical clock up one second to eighty nine seconds before midnight, saying the world has not made sufficient progress on existential risks threatening all of humanity. We thus moved the clock forward.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I don't buy that.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean we are closer, but I don't buy that we're the closest we've ever been.
Speaker 2: Nuclear risk, I'll talk about that in a minute.
Speaker 1: Climate change that is not an existential threat at this point. I mean that's a few years away from destroying humanity. Biological threats, Yeah, are we any closer than we were five years ago, ten years ago?
Speaker 2: Probably not.
Speaker 1: Bashar Asad, who used biological weapons against his own people, he's gone. Certainly Saddam Hussein did the same thing, he's gone. It advances an AI that's going to wipe out the world. Probably not now. The threat of nuclear weapons being used more so than a few years ago, but where it really was closed nineteen sixty two, the Cuban missile crisis. I mean between khruse Chef and JFK, they literally had their fingers two inches above that button that was close.
Speaker 5: Did this clock exist then.
Speaker 2: The doomsday clock? You know, I don't know. I don't know. I think I think it did. It's a good question if the doomsday clock was around.
Speaker 5: Gosh, you almost sound like an optimist. That's creeping me out.
Speaker 1: Yeah it is, AND's looking it up. And unfortunately these scientists can't tell time. That's another problem.
Speaker 2: So the clock was created in nineteen forty seven, okay, right after the nuclear age started, all right.
Speaker 3: And it at seven minutes to midnight. So we've been in a lot of trouble for a very long.
Speaker 2: Time, and we're getting it well. And now it's what I got. How many seconds? How many nine seconds? No, eighty nine seconds, eighty nine seconds?
Speaker 5: I find a ninety seconds, I think for some time. So we got a second. We shaved off a second there, son of a gun. All right. Oh, Trump's in the news. The Trump administration launched an immigration enforcement blitz that's going all over nationwide just Sunday and included multiple federal agencies and resulted in the arrest of nearly one thousand people seems a little low. According to Immigration and Customs enforcements, the apprehension apprehensions are part of this effort to amass a larger enforcement apparatus.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's going across the country.
Speaker 1: Matter of fact, my contractor, my contractor who remodeled my house was phenomenal.
Speaker 2: By the way, who is Hispanic.
Speaker 1: He was telling me that as he went to Low's or he went to home depot to pick up some supplies. Usually there are groups of questionable let's say, questionable status among those that are standing out in the driveways in front of the building for casual labor. And I don't know if you've ever been there, but there are always groups of men that are waiting to be hired. Empty. He said, it was empty. There was an a soul to be had, nothing. And so I called yesterday, you know, I called his office to I said, you know, can I speak to Polo. They said no, he was deported yesterday. So it's a it's a real problem. Okay, let's move on. By the way, that's a true story, not the deportation part, at least I don't think so.
Speaker 5: But I clean your own house handle.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a toxic case of NIMBI happening. Uh well, just right down the road, the cities of Dwarty, Azusa, or Windell in Baldwin Park are opposing federal plans to use Lario Park as a site to process the hazardous household debris from the Eton Fire. The EPA has already prepared the site. It's at fifteen seven oh one East Foothill Boulevard. The cities say they were not given prior notice or a chance to weigh in, which raises concerns about the potential environmental impact and proximity to residents.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's seven thirty that plan. And boy, you talk about an issue of nimby. Ooh, this one is big. And I'll talk a little bit about the politics, the pro and the cons on this one coming up at seven thirty this morning.
Speaker 5: Caroline Kennedy just yesterday warned that her cousin, Robert F. Kennedy Junior, is a predator ahead of his high profile confirmation hearings this week. Of course, he's the lead to become President Donald Trump's Department of Health and Human Services secretary, so she urges that senators reject his nomination. She even felt obliged to speak out and read aloud the letter she sent senators detailing is troubling behavior that she's witness over the years, She's done him forever, and that he's hypocritical when it comes to vaccines, being addicted to attention and power. He weird things he did, like mincing up, yeah, animals to feed to h predator.
Speaker 1: I'm doing that one at seven point fifty. And the accusations against him.
Speaker 2: Are pretty pretty bizarre, and.
Speaker 5: I'm like a bizarre dude.
Speaker 2: He is a bizarre dude.
Speaker 1: And I'm going to tell you about his big defense because he's actually come up with I thought was a pretty good defense to the accusation of putting in the little chickens, you know, the little chicks and everything in a blender, And there really is a good defense to that, and he's.
Speaker 2: Brought it up.
Speaker 1: I'll do that at teen, shake at ten ten, Well, it's one of them.
Speaker 2: Seven point fifty. We'll be back and do that, all right.
Speaker 3: See nothing to see here. White House Secretary Caroline Levitt said those drones have been spotted along the East coast were authorized to be flown by the She said, I have an update from the president, and during the press briefing yesterday said they researched and studied it and found that the drones flying over New Jersey in large numbers were authorized to be phoned by the FAA for research and various other reasons, and also said this was not the enemy.
Speaker 2: Hey, you a question.
Speaker 1: And this started doing the Biden administration far longer, far before the Trump administration.
Speaker 2: Would anybody in.
Speaker 1: The White House just call the FAA and said, what the hell is going on? And they would come back and say, this is authorized. That is a phone call.
Speaker 5: I think that's what he's implying. He's going. Listen, this was no big deal in the no.
Speaker 1: I understand, but what five weeks, six weeks after they started, a two months after they started.
Speaker 2: And okay, now we know that the FDA or the FAA went ahead and approve him. What now?
Speaker 5: Okay, thanks, Well, that shows his transparency building.
Speaker 1: That does all right, This was on Biden more than Trump. But Trump administration was a week into it before we were told. Biden was sitting there for two months.
Speaker 5: Well, that's what he's trying to show you, saying they didn't give you information I'm giving I'm transparently.
Speaker 2: All right, I'll buy that.
Speaker 5: It's a strategy. So yesterday my son came home with a little red card from school and these are being handed out to all la USD schools. They're called red cards, also known as know your Rights cards and other resources to remind immigrant community members what their legal rights are. The cards are about the size. This one was about twice the size of a credit card, is kind of long, and it helps immigrant Angelino's assert their constitutional rights and encounters with federal law enforcement officials. So this is part of the community resource Guide for immigrant Angelino's put together by LA Mayor Karen Bass and her Office of Immigrant Affairs. And now if they're you know, handed out in the schools.
Speaker 2: I have a question.
Speaker 1: Okay, first of all, what kind of rights do you have when ice picks you up?
Speaker 2: That's as an illegal alien right.
Speaker 5: Having in front of me. But it says you don't have to answer any questions, you don't have to talk to them. You know, you can hand them there.
Speaker 2: Okay, you can.
Speaker 1: Okay, if you're six years old, you can ask for asylum. That's all you have to do is say that word. But okay, that's fair. Don't say anything, although, okay, no, I'll buy that. I'll buy that that resonates where do you live? You know, when did you enter the United States? And you can say I'm not interested in talking to you, and I mean you'll be asked, although we don't have to worry anymore.
Speaker 2: Could no, Okay, no, I'll buy it. Fair enough? And why is Max getting a little red card?
Speaker 5: He goes to a bilingual school.
Speaker 1: Okay, so so he can say I'm not illegal, both in English and Spanish.
Speaker 5: And he has a Latino surname and he's a little brown boy. But I think they give them out to everybody in LA schools.
Speaker 2: But do they have handcuffs for kids that young?
Speaker 5: Zip ties? Ah? Yeah? Fair enough?
Speaker 3: A Republican lawmaker, I don't know. He may take a little leave for this. He's called out the kids.
Speaker 5: So.
Speaker 3: Georgia Republican Representative Rich McCormick was on CNN and the anchor Pamela Brown said they were talking about the freezing all the federal aid and she said that head Start, that helps provide nutritional assistance to low income kid and kids and families, is one of the programs that could be affected by this freeze and funding and he said, before I was even thirteen years old, I was picking berry's in the field before child labor laws that precluded that. I was a paper boy. When I was in high school. I worked my entire way through. You're telling me kids who stay at home instead of going to work at Burger King McDonald's during the summer should stay at home and get their free lunch instead of going to work. I think we need to have a top down review.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I hate those pesky six year olds that won't go to work.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, I my kids ate and I make him fix my transmission here. You got barbells uptown When.
Speaker 1: I started, I was a paper boy at the age of thirteen. But there's how many paper boys out there? First of all, you know, when gets a newspaper anymore, it's all online.
Speaker 5: But I mowed lawns.
Speaker 2: No, mowing lawns was for kids like Max, Hispanic children.
Speaker 5: I'm like Hispanic. By the way, it's Latino, it's Hispanic. Is not the same thing. And I and who needs a word with panic in the name.
Speaker 1: Oh, very strong, very strong, you know comes that's.
Speaker 5: Spanish, it's European.
Speaker 2: It's not still you know, it's still very very good. Okay, well, how about latin X.
Speaker 5: No, no, unless you're a politician or so so liberal, but no, Latinos use LATINX.
Speaker 3: What is latinx? Is that just to do a non gender.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, it is both because Latino females are Latinos females latina.
Speaker 2: Well, the phrase is your Latino.
Speaker 5: And here's the stupid thing about LATINX. You're trying to remove gender from it. But the entire language is built upon gender.
Speaker 2: Oh you're talking about the entire Spanish. Yeah it is. But then there's well but then, but maybe has a point.
Speaker 1: Every other word amy has a point because all the other ones are l or law and there really is a differentiation because the argument is that women are called latinos. That's the general phrase. Certainly, I call them latinos on the way on their way to Mexico while they've been zip tied.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's take a break.
Speaker 5: Say it like it's a cereal he all right, get up and you have some Latinos.
Speaker 2: Uh, that works too, all right.
Speaker 5: A horrible story out of India. Multiple people were killed in one of those crowd crushes. You know, too many people in the same place going in the same direction. This is the world's largest religious gathering in India. This happened earlier this morning. Tens of millions of devotees went to bathe in a river, the most sacred. Yeah, which I've which I've been on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you really want to swim in the Ganges because everybody craps and peas and the cows walk in and out of.
Speaker 5: The bodies and put them into the game.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: That's the other thing too. There's nothing like a burnt body or two.
Speaker 5: I took a photograph of a man brushing his teeth with a twig in the Ganges.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very nice. But this is a crowd crush.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a horrible so they you know, there's a barrier there near the river. It broke. A lot of people were pushing and you know, near there.
Speaker 1: And it's an important by the way, this is a very important story.
Speaker 2: And we're doing it nan too soon.
Speaker 5: And none. Yeah people died. Dude, you're talking, you're making bread jokes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pretty much. All right, let's move on.
Speaker 3: You better not eat even one lace. The USFDA has guysified a previous freedom like potato chip recall to its highest risk level. Apparently so bags of Freedom, Lays Classic potato chips have milk in them or milk ingredients that are not on the labels, and that can cause adverse health consequences or death to people who have allergies.
Speaker 1: Do you remember when Lays potato chips were using olestra, remember that oil, but that didn't absorb, didn't absorb the fat and you saved like thirty five percent in One of the side effects was oily stools. And the only reason I bring that up is that it is so hilarious. That has nothing to do with this story, but it was a potato chip story.
Speaker 5: Thank you, You're welcome.
Speaker 2: Okay, you always good, always good information here.
Speaker 5: You know, you know what they say, laughter is the best medicine unless you have diarrhea. The Oklahoma State Board of Education voted Tuesday to approve a proposal requiring parents to report their immigration or citizenship status status rather when enrolling their children in schools. So maybe twenty minutes of conversation went by before they approved it, and they said, our rule around illegal immigration accounting is simply that it's to account for how many students of illegal governments are in our schools.
Speaker 2: This is a weird one.
Speaker 1: The Supreme Court ruled you cannot ask a kid if he is legal or illegal. Now they are saying that the parents in ruling school have to prove their legal status.
Speaker 2: But it's only sorry about that.
Speaker 1: It's only for purposes of knowing who is legal and illegal.
Speaker 2: As parents. We don't intend to do anything with it.
Speaker 1: Wait a minute, why then, are you doing it if you don't want it. If you're not going to do anything with it other than have that in your database.
Speaker 5: Why well, doesn't the Census Bureau do that? No?
Speaker 2: I don't think so.
Speaker 1: I do not believe the Census and how to we know does who's here legally and who's No. I think it's it is simply a guess as to what it is. I don't think the Census Bureau asked people if they're legal or not. They ask them where they're born, they ask them. I remember, you know the Census Bureau. Now you have to fill it out. You know you can do it online, probably, But I remember when I was a kid, a census worker came to the house to account and ask things like do you have a refrigerator? Really, they used to ask those questions, do you have a television. Now, I was very young. I was five or six at the time, but I remember that vividly. It's one of my memories. And they they did ask where I was born and where my parents came from, but not legal status. So I don't get this one at all. We just want to know. We're not going to do anything with it, but we just want to know.
Speaker 2: Okay, M six to zero. All right, we're done. Guys.
Speaker 1: This is KFI AM six point. You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show. Catch my Show Monday through Friday six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.