Speaker 1: All right, let's get at drive time Friday afternoon, nine minutes past the hour or two o'clock. No surprise, it has been a really warm weather cycle, unseasonably warm this week and it continues today. It is ninety two degrees and sunny outside here in downtown Salt Lake City, Utah, right outside of our Broadway Media Studios. Happy Friday to you. Congratulations, you made it. It is time for the weekend. Take a big, old deep breath. It is Friday time.
Speaker 2: A lot to do.
Speaker 1: Spence checkets behind the mic, Porter Larson beyond the glass on this Friday afternoon, producing the show, booking the show, and we have got a ton to get to on this Friday edition of the program. Thank you so much for making us a part of your day, and a very happy weekend to you. It is game day in the world of professional basketball, and it is a massive game at Gainesbridge Field House in Indianapolis, Indiana, where the Indiana Pacers will attempt to take a three to one lead over the Oklahoma City Thunder who are a massive favorite to win the series still and a favorite to win the game tonight. Rick Carlisle spoke about that today during his media availability that there'll be a underdog in every game, and of course they're a massive underdog in this series still even though they're up to one.
Speaker 2: We'll get you ready for the game tonight.
Speaker 1: We'll talk a little NBA basketball on the program and get you ready for this big game that is at six thirty Mountain time television coverage on ABC radio coverage right here on your home of the NBA Finals in saut Lake City in the surrounding area ESPN seven hundred, So preview the game, get you ready for a massive, massive matchup, look at it from both sides, and get you ready for OKC Indiana. The battle for Lord Stanley's Cup rolled on last night with another unbelievable hockey game that saw Edmonton in overtime get the win, and once again we are even. This was an awesome series last year, it's shaping up to be an awesome series this year. Through four games, these two teams have scored thirty two goals, which is the in the history professional hockey of in the NHL Stanley Cup Final history, thirty two goals through four games. So we'll get you ready for the weekend action in pro hockey. They're gonna get back going tomorrow, back up at Rogers' Place in Edmonton, Alberta. So we talk a little hockey on the program, of course, get you ready for that, and you can hear the Stanley Cup finals on this little old radio station as well. Big match from a local standpoint tomorrow for our local soccer club, badly in need of a result, badly in need of three points. Quite frankly, they have not won in seven matches. They're without Diego Luna, They're without don Mark Zuk, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera, a few different player. Gozo's gone as well. I don't know what that's starting eleven is going to look like. I do think we're gonna see a little Johnny Russell action, one of the acquisitions made by the front office during the primary transfer window.
Speaker 2: That is now closed and has been closed for a while.
Speaker 1: Summer transfer window opens up in a month, it's mid July.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: If you want to know, you can google it. Hopefully they have some things planned. Pablo needs reinforcements in the worst way, so it gets ready for the RSL match tomorrow. On the program Today US Open rolls on the television coverage I think right now is NBC Dictor Hoblin and Sam Burns. Had a great round today. Several golfers still on the course. We'll give you an update on the leader board and we'll talk a little golf on the program today.
Speaker 2: We do have a.
Speaker 1: Golf guest as well, so a lot to do, busy show. Good to have you with us. Our first guest right out of the gates will be our guy, Tony Jones, who covers the NBA for the Athletic covers the Utah Jazz as well. We'll get a couple of NBA Finals observations from Tony. But we'll do a lot of draft The NBA draft is twelve days away and the Utah Jazz have number five and number twenty one and then ultimately have a couple of second round picks as well. A lot of trade buzz surrounding several in pro basketball, including Kevin Durant.
Speaker 2: Well, what's that going to look like?
Speaker 1: We'll see what Tony sources are telling him about the potential movement in the NBA. Dave mcminnimon live in Indianapolis Game Bridge Field House, so Dave will be on location and he'll stop by today to set the scene for us for Game four tonight in the NBA Finals. Some US opened with Paul pug Meyer and some local golf with our guy Pugs and then Chris Cameranie Once upon a Time of Friday staple hasn't been in on a Friday for a long time at tkble Rolling Studio for an entire hour at four o'clock and then we'll launch you into the final hour of the program on this Friday afternoon. So a lot to do. It's great to have you guys along for the ride. We've got Tony Jones, Dave Mcmannimon, Paul Pugmyer, Chris Comrodnie Me Spence Check. It's all of you, the great listeners, and that young man in there, that's strapping young man in there, Porter Larson. All right, the narrative all day is whoever wins this game tonight wins the series.
Speaker 2: Do you feel like that's the case.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think if Arizona is able to get over coastal Carolina.
Speaker 1: Here right and turn on the golf. Dude, like, why are we watching college baseball? Due, Well, we're watching college baseball because I do believe.
Speaker 3: Actually, I'll go confirm for you, But the golf is now on Peacock, So.
Speaker 1: It's twenty twenty five. Can we get Peacock on our television?
Speaker 3: And I know I sound like the old man screaming at a cloud that they're streaming stuff going on in twenty twenty five, but I'll make sure there's golf on the TV for you here the next fifteen or so.
Speaker 4: I'll figure it out.
Speaker 1: But away from Arizona and Coastal Okay, Okay, it's four to four, so it's close.
Speaker 2: Yes, turn it on bottom of the six Indiana.
Speaker 1: Ok See does the winner of this game tonight win the NBA Championship?
Speaker 3: I think so, And I said last night, right even though right now the odds are in the favor of Oklahoma City. Still, when you have a two to one lead in this type of finals, not necessarily this type of finals, but this late in the playoffs, this much pressure and urgency, I think you're in the driver's seat. I think you hold the keys to the series. And Indiana's at home tonight, so that's a big plus as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you go up three.
Speaker 3: To one man, there's only one time that has gone south in the NBA Finals, and it included one of the greatest players of all time and included a silly suspension and included some injuries and a whole bunch of other stuff For that to transpire. You go up three to one, and you better, you better win the NBA Finals.
Speaker 1: Yep, and the series porter is talking about twenty fifteen. And you know what, Let's get to the opening tip because I actually have some thoughts on that. So our first guest today will be Tony Jones from the Athletic But before TJ stops by on this gorgeous, beautiful summer of Friday afternoon in downtown Salt Lake City, Utah, it is time now for your opening tip.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Drive with Spence.
Speaker 5: Check its on Utah's number one sports talk Now into the studios of ESPN seven hundred to set the scene for the show. The opening tip of the Drive is brought to you by Prize Picks. Use the code ESPN seven hundred and run your game with Prize Picks.
Speaker 1: Prize Picks is the best place to turn your sports knowledge into cash. With millions of members, Prize Picks has made daily fantasy sports accessible to all.
Speaker 2: You just pick more or less on at least.
Speaker 1: Two players for a shot to win up to two thousand times your cash. You can run your game all season long on Prize Picks. There's only one series left in the playoffs and the championship is officially on the line. That means time is running out for you to put your final takes to the test. On Prize Picks, the best place to cash in on your favorite sports. So here's what you do. You download the Prize Picks up today, use the promo code ESPN seven hundred, and they're going to hook you up with fifty dollars when you play your first five dollars lineup. Do not even need to win that five dollars lineup to fifty dollars is guaranteed. So download the Prize Picks up today, use the promo code ESPN seven hundred. They're going to hook you up with fifty dollars when you play that first five dollars lineup. With Prize Picks, you can run your game all season long.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: The Finals roll along with a massive, massive game four tonight after the Indiana Pacers were able to take a two to one lead at Gainsbridge Field House over the Oklahoma City Thunder one sixteen one oh seven. You know what's interesting is all three of these games have been pretty unique and different, which is kind of strange when it comes to an NBA Finals performance. We saw the Indiana Pacers with a bunch of different adjustments last game, namely on how they handled Sga and ultimately, while both these teams have depth and both of these teams have good players outside of their stars, Sga clearly is the head of the Snake and as is Halliburton, even though they're extremely different players. It really does come down in a lot of ways to those two individual players to lead their team the way that they have certainly all season long, and Shay's case and in Tyresee's case, probably since January when Indiana really started to roll. So this comes down to an interesting chess match, and it's Mark Dagnolt's move after Rick Carlisle essentially said checkmate with a couple of different adjustments teammates.
Speaker 2: So in yeah, it did.
Speaker 1: In game three as far as covering Shay, there was a bunch of different personnel switch ups and Andrew Nemhart. It's interesting, So Nemhart and Sga are teammates on the Canadian national team.
Speaker 2: They know each other really well.
Speaker 1: They played against and with each other for a number of different years, and I have to imagine that Rick thought that familiarity would help Nemhart in his individual role trying to corral SGA because he did a really good job. And you know, Nemhar during the Knick series also took on the challenge of Jalen Brunton often and he just gets up in you. He's gonna pick you up ninety four feet. He's gonna let you know that I'm gonna be here all night. You might get yours because you're the MVP, but I will be here all nights and I'm gonna be an irantant I'm gonna get up in you and Nemhar gives up I think maybe three or four inches at least to say.
Speaker 2: But it is that dog mentality.
Speaker 1: I know it's a little bit corny and cliche, but that's what it is and that's who he is as a player. So we'll see what Dagnall does, because ultimately what Carlisle decided to do is utilize Nemhard is the primary defender on SGA, and then they didn't blitz and hedge on ball screens for Shaye the way the way that they did Games one. In Games two, they actually kind of left the secondary defender, oftentimes it was Halliburton or Nie Smith kind of below the three point line, closer to the free throw line. And then when the ball screen was set, the primary defender, who was Nemhart, was able to fight most of the time around the screen, and then the secondary defender, who was kind of playing like a center field role, would just kind of, you know, able to confuse Sga, takeaway some passing lanes or contest a shot, you know, the other thing clearly down the stretch. And this is where it's going to be interesting to see what Dagnault does Shay specifically. But most of the thunder I'll say outside of Jalen because I thought it was interesting. I think Jalen understood that Shay was tired, and in the fourth quarter a lot of their you know, initial offensive sets were kind of initiated by Jalen because Shaye was tired. So does Dagnault extend his rotation a little bit? I mean last game he played basically seven players. Aaron Wiggins did play ten minutes, but Caruso of course got thirty two minutes. Off the bench, Hartenstein eighteen minutes off the bench. I do have to wonder whether or not Dagnall does play Chet and Hartenstein together in a way that he just hasn't much during this postseason, or I should say, during this finals matchup. Cason Wallace has received the start, Hartenstein has gone to the bench, but in a very truncated space. When Chet and Hartenstein are playing together, they're actually in that positive And I don't know how much to make of that, because ultimately, even though Indiana leads this series two to one, Oklahoma City still has out scored them, I think, plus seven, and they are positive in the net. Of course, Game two is a bit of a blowout, but every game has been very unique. Game one kind of felt like it was fitting the script, and then Indiana pulled the classic Indiana with that crazy comeback at the end, Halliburton with a step back game winning jumper against Cason and Rick Carlisle electing not to call a time out and trust his league guard and he was rewarded for that. And then Game two was essentially an example of what Oklahoma City has done to teams all year long. That was just a classic OKC game. It honestly, wasn't very entertaining. I mean, this has been high level basketball, and let me pause there for a moment.
Speaker 2: These playoffs have been awesome.
Speaker 1: Like I know, a lot of people have soured on the NBA for maybe several different reasons. Maybe you've been fooled to believe that your political beliefs don't allow you to watch basketball anymore, which is the dumbest thing, but maybe that's you. Maybe you're disenfranchised with the fact that players don't play during the regular season.
Speaker 2: I'll raise my hand.
Speaker 1: That's one of the reasons I tap out a lot of regular season basketball. Maybe you're only a Jazz fan, and oftentimes we've had a debate in this market. Are we an NBA market or are we only a Jazz market? And if you're a Jazz fan, of course you're frustrated, you're disappointed, and maybe you've lost interest. I've got some buddies that have lost interest in the NBA and certainly have lost interest in the Utah Jazz as the Jazz continue to stumble their way through this clunky rebuild that is really brought very little forward progress.
Speaker 2: So I understand all that. If you're not watching the playoffs.
Speaker 1: If you haven't been, you're really missing out because the competition has been fierce, the basketball has been really high level, and there have been some injuries, certainly, and that always is something that colors the context of how these teams were able to win something special. Is this a Boston OKC matchup of Jason Tatum iss still standing? I mean, the Knicks were about to take a three to one lead, but you get my point. Dame Lillard goes down for Milwaukee. You know, obviously Cleveland banged up outside of Mitchell. They lose Garland, they lose Hunter, they lose Mobili, and the players that they were playing with didn't look fully healthy. So injuries certainly always coming to play, and oftentimes the teams that end up in this spot do get extreme injury luck and extreme health luck. And neither of these teams have injuries of note. Tyree Sa had a little bit of a knee thing, but he didn't look like it bothered him during Game three at all. And on the Indiana side of things, you know, it's interesting, so we have Pascal Siaka and Alex Caruso as players on both teams that actually have championship rings. Caruso wanted title with the Lakers, I think that was the Bubble title, and Siakam won that title with the Raptors when they had Kawhi for one year. And so those are the two vets that kind of understand this stage. Otherwise you can make an argument tonight is the biggest game that Jay Gilgess Alexander has ever played, or Lou Dort or Check Holmgren or Jalen Williams or Casen Wallace or Isaiah Hartenstein, and certainly everybody on the Pacers, probably outside of Siakam, like this is a moment that will show you what you're made of. And if you're Indiana, you just have to hope that you continue to get what you were able to get Game three from the players not named Tyree Saliburton, because of course Halliburton and Sga back to my original point, are the two heads of the respective snakes of these teams. But one of the things that really killed the Knicks in Indiana's win in the Eastern Conference Finals was the player of Aaron Nesmith.
Speaker 2: Was the play of Andrew Nemhart.
Speaker 1: Obi Toppin, who, by the way, has been so much better for the Pacers than he ever was for the Knicks. You know, those are the guys Bennedict Matherin who went for twenty seven points on twelve shots in Game three. Those are the guys that have been able to help Tyree Saliburton in this endeavor to reach the NBA Finals take a two one lead, and Rick Carlisle every time he does his media talks about this like Oklahoma City, they can get away with a game where Caruso is not hidden threes or lou Dort is not hidden threes. You know, as long as Shay is Shay and they get what they typically get from Jalen and chet like, they're going to be dialed in. They don't need to go seven or eight deep as far as players knocking down shots and scoring. Indiana very much does they need Siakam to be who he's been for the most part throughout this series and certainly who he was for Game three. It'll be interesting to see the defensive matchups and whether or not there are cross matchups that are changed. And I do think now that Indiana has found a little something as far as Ry to corral Shay, we will see that coverage mixed up a little bit. And now it's on Shay to adapt like MVPs are supposed to do. It is potentially the biggest game he's ever played. I think it's gonna be a lot of fun tonight. I'm excited for this. We will say good night at six o'clock and bring you coverage of tonight's NBA Finals Game four, so stay tuned for that. But we will catch our first break of the program on this Friday in Game four. NBA Finals tips off in four hours. Right now, you can hear that game on our radio station as the Indiana Pacers will look to take a commanding three to one lead over the Oklahoma City Thunder. Continue to be the favorite not just to win tonight, but to win the series. Our next guest may have been one of like two or three people it said, I don't know, weeks ago when the Pacers were playing the Knicks in the Eastern Conference Finals, that this Pacers team could win the NBA Championship. Tony Jones, take your victory lap, young man.
Speaker 2: How are you?
Speaker 6: I think it was my second VI three lap?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 2: What was the first one?
Speaker 8: Alex Jimpson?
Speaker 1: Ah, okay, well, two for two, two for two, So let me ask you, what did you.
Speaker 6: See, miss I've missed on a lot more than I said. I just got lucky on the last two.
Speaker 1: No, we all missed, man, But what did you see from Indiana that led you to make that statement when it didn't feel like anybody else was kind of on that train.
Speaker 6: The fact that you know, the landscape of the NBA has changed, and you need ten guys now to win an NBA title win before you could do it with seven, and you could do it with you know, three top three, top evy guys, and you can you know, mix and match around them and use the bandas around them. I mean, if you look at the two thousand and eleven Miami Heat, which is actually a good comparison because Rick Carlisle coached the team that beat them fast six guys. You know they're you know, Lebron and then their top five and you know they had like Mike Bibby coming off the bench and that wasn't prime Mike viv that was the sholl of Mike Vivvi. And you know, so I think that you know, the new CBA bought a different landscape in the league where you know it went from you know, you could put together a super team and you can win an NBA title to you know, instead of three five stars, why don't you get you know, four four star level players and then you know, a bunch of three star level guys. And what Indiana has is they have ten guys who can all play in the playoffs. There's different from our Knicks, who were just putting guys on the floor and they weren't playoff players. They were just guys that Tims was just like trying to find men trying to steal minutes with. You know, they put ten legitimate NBA playoff level guys on the floor and they have just worn almost everybody down. In Game three against Oklahoma City, that was the first time in this postseason that I've seen the Thunder actually look fatigued down the stretch of a basketball game.
Speaker 1: Okay, so the follow up, Tony is called you did call it?
Speaker 8: That is?
Speaker 1: You know Indiana was going to have a say here, and they're up to one and if they win tonight. In the history of the NBA Finals, teams that are up three to one are thirty seven and one. The only exception is Lebron and the Cavs in twenty fifteen. Which is one of the most incredible individual performances in a team sport setting that I've ever.
Speaker 2: Seen in my entire life.
Speaker 1: So I'm going to ask you, even though you said weeks ago you think they can get this done, do you believe that they will? Do you believe they can beat okay see two more times over the next whatever amount of games to get this done.
Speaker 6: Shockingly, I'm still going to go okay see and seven okay because I think that that I think the Thunder are going to play their best game of the postseason tonight, and I think they're gonna get one tonight, and I think that's gonna make it the best of three. And if you make it the best of three, then it's hard to expect in the end to win twice at Pingcom Center in Oklahoma City because the Thunder is so so good there. The thing that I think is that both things can be true. One, the Indiana Pacers are really good team, a great team, and two they're playing a great team.
Speaker 7: So I don't look.
Speaker 6: At this as you know, somebody, you know, I mean, obviously somebody's gonna have to win and somebody's gonna.
Speaker 7: Have to lose.
Speaker 6: But I look at it as you know, two real giants kind of going at each other. And you know what I thought heading into this series was that this is going to be a six or seven game series. And I still think that this is going to end up the six or seven game series. Even if Indiana wins tonight, I still expect this series to go six because I don't expect Oklahoma City to lose Game five at home.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let's see, we were talking about this yesterday. I think it was, oh, it was Howard Beck who stopped and stopped by the show yesterday. And look, I'm not trying to put the cart before the horse here, but next year will kind of be like an off year for the Celtics. Tatum is out probably all year. Every rumor you hear about Boston is they're open for business to trade whoever with a new ownership group that does not want to be in that punitive economic area that they're in right now.
Speaker 2: We'll get to the Knicks in a minute.
Speaker 1: I don't know if they've contacted you about the coaching job, but what a pathetic display from ownership. But ultimately, there are some good young teams in the East. I think Detroit will take a step. I think Orlando will take a step. You never know what Miami has up their sleeve. But Tony, when you look at the bulk of Indiana's roster outside of TJ. McConnell and Pascal Siakam and Pasco, I was only thirty one.
Speaker 2: He's got plenty of good years left. The bulk of their.
Speaker 6: We don't know how Passcal is. He's on that surge of Baka train.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna let you say that, and I'm gonna back away for the mic.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna let you go ahead and say that.
Speaker 1: But when you look at tyresee when you look at Matherin, when you look at Nemhard and Nie Smith and the bulk of their roster, the bulk of their rotation between twenty three and twenty seven years old, is there a chance that we are seeing the start of something maybe very special with this look. I know that the current climate of pro basketball is you're not able to keep really good teams together for very long. I know that's by design, But with an Eastern Conference, it's very much up for grabs. If Indiana really is able to get this done, could this be their conference for the next three or four years.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna say no, because, like you said, I mean, it's really hard to keep teams.
Speaker 9: Like this together.
Speaker 6: I mean it's really hard. Like you know, let's say Indiana winsday. The one thing that I learned from covering Denver, from covering Denver in their championship year in the year after that is hard to do it twice because you play so many games and you expend so much energy heading me into trying to win a championship, and you're just gassed the next year. It's one of the reasons why I didn't really think the Celtics were gonna win this year, because it's hard to win twice.
Speaker 7: It really is.
Speaker 6: And you know, Denver won like quite easily. I think they went like sixteen and four, Like they lost four times on that on that in that championship run, they won sixteen of their twenty games, and they were gassed the next year by January. They were gassed. They had nothing left and and manifested itself in the playoffs when their legs just died in games set in the second half of Game seven to the Minnesota Timberwolves. You saw the Boston Celtics this year. That was a tired basketball team down the stretch. So you know, the I think the Oklahoma City Thunder are built to do this year after year after year because.
Speaker 7: They own everybody's.
Speaker 6: Draft picks in the entire league, and you know they're gonna get draft pick after draft pick after draft picks. That's going to allow them to keep kind of flipping over the roster as they have to make tough decisions. Indiana's not in that spot. I mean, obviously, you know their core is young, but they don't have like the assets that okay see has to keep replenishing the guys that they lose. So you know, when Andrew Nemhar comes up, it's gonna be hard to keep him. When aaron Ne Smith comes up, you know, he's on his second contract, I believe, but when he's valuable enough that when he gets to his next contract, that's going to be hard to keep him. That's already been hard, uh to this point, to keep to keep Miles Turner. That you have two all NBA level players, uh that you that you have to pay. You have Jarris Walker coming up, you know, so what do you do with him? You already paid Obi Topping Eventually, you know, TJ. McConnell is gonna be like, hey, what about me. You know, Benneget Matheren is still on his rookie deal. He's gonna want more money as well.
Speaker 7: It's just.
Speaker 6: So many guys that are gonna have to get paid, and you know that and turn and dealing with natural attrition is gonna make it really really difficult for any any team to have a long sustained run uh year after year.
Speaker 1: Billy Donovan, Quinn Snyder, Emmy Udoka, Chris Finch, Jason Kidd, those are the five we know about.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 1: The New York Knicks response to the best season they've had UH since Red Hot Lover Too with the kid and play Fade was playing basketball was to fire a great coach with no contingency put plan in place. This is like comically embarrassing for an owner who has several decisions and moments that have been extremely embarrassing over the course of his twenty seven years owning this basketball team. What do you make of the clown show, the clown car, the clown extended bus at Madison Square Garden, And who do you think ultimately gets that job?
Speaker 6: I think ultimately, you know, one of my guests. Is gonna be one of Mike Brown, Taylor Jenkins, Michael Malone. There's one other really good coach that's out there is gonna is gonna end up getting a job. You know, I wish they give it a job, Johnny Bryant, but I think it's too big for him at this point, Like he's gotta you know, I think Johnny's got do to Charles Lee thing and go somewhere like Charlotte and build and build that program up before he before he gets the job at the Knicks, even though he was the associate head coach. So you gotta go with experience. So I think you're gonna go with probably one.
Speaker 7: Of those guys.
Speaker 6: To me, and those the fine options, right, Like Taylor Jenkins is a good coach, like Michael Malone for all of his faults, and you know if basically, you know, I plan to max sit they hired Michael Malone because you basically fire tips just to hire Tips. But Michael Malone is a good coach, a really really good coach. Mike Brown is a really really good coach. And all of those guys have coached high level playoff teams under high stakes and high pressure But what this just tells me is that you know, you can never as well as the Knicks front office is run, and as terrible as Leon Rose Tree the media, this is a real compliment to him. You know, the Knicks front office has run really well, They've made really smart moves, They've done really good things to get the Knicks imposition to get this far. And you still just cannot erase the sense of the owner. And that is what it tells me as well as you know this thing is run from the top down right now, you know, the owner.
Speaker 7: Team can can really just cancel all of this out.
Speaker 6: And you know, you're right, this has been embarrassing and no matter where they land at this point, it's been embarrassing. Like you're reaching out to the Chicago Bullsha.
Speaker 7: Billy Donald Donaldvan hasn't even been good at.
Speaker 6: The NBA levels. He's been made, you know, so I mean at least like you know, reach out and get you know, rejected trying to go after Red r Back or Red Holzman or or Phil Jackson or somebody like that, or Rick Parallel, you know, Eric Foster. You know, goat level coaches don't get rejected by Billy Donovan going after Billy Donovan, Like, that's embarrassing. You know, so at you know, me and you were lifelong diehard Knicks fans. You know, we obviously hope that this lands at a palataical situation, and I think ultimately it will, but you know, the road to get there is going to be one to forget.
Speaker 7: For sure.
Speaker 2: Do believe Red our Back and Red Holsman are both no longer with us. But your point stands. I completely understand what you're saying.
Speaker 7: I hope you know that. You know that.
Speaker 2: I'm just I'm kidding.
Speaker 1: But here's the problem Ton, You you know this, Let's say they hire Taylor Jenkins, just hypothetically speaking, you know, at the opening press conference, when Taylor is addressing the media, Frank Eyes, Solar or whoever is gonna be like, hey, how does it feel being the sixth choice?
Speaker 2: Taylor?
Speaker 1: Like, no matter who they hire, he's gonna have to deal with that narrative as long as he's the coach.
Speaker 6: And Taylor should respond last week I got a paycheck where zero dollars, Like that should be his response. Now that shouldn't be a response. But still the question is going to come up because it's the new York media.
Speaker 7: That's the courts.
Speaker 6: That's the very first question that's going to come up. So you know, it's it's something that you know should not have played out. It's embarrassingly just publicly the NX, you know, they they you know, go through great lengths to be the gestapo to the media, so you know, don't try to be the gestapo to the media. And you know, you can't keep stuff inside your own house when it when it comes time time to hire a coach, basically like they should have been back channeling. I mean, there's so many different instances that we can point to that, you know, teams are back channel and they've had stuff higher. I mean, we just saw it here two months ago. You know, when the University of Utah fire Craigs. You know, there wasn't an issue on who they were.
Speaker 8: Going to hire.
Speaker 6: They knew they were who they were going to hire, and that person knew he was going to take the job, you know, so that there, you know, Preig Smith when he got dismissed, there wasn't any ambiguity on on who was going to replace him. And I just don't understand, you know, why the Knicks didn't cross their t's and dot their i's in terms in terms of doing that.
Speaker 2: Isn't Taylor Jenkins still being paid by the Grizzlies.
Speaker 5: He is?
Speaker 6: So I'm just, you know, making hypotheticals that are inaccurate.
Speaker 1: All good, All right, Before we get to the Jazz, I want to know what your sources indicate about the reports concerning all the potential player movement. I mean, I feel like every time I pull up any of the outlets you guys have the Athletic or ESPN or whatever, there's rumors that Boston is kind of open to trade anybody, including Jalen. They won't trade Tatum, but of course he's out all next year. There's the Durant stuff, which is suddenly feeling very very real.
Speaker 2: There's the Yannis stuff.
Speaker 1: I mean, there are a lot of rumors concerning big, big name players that could really change the landscape of the league. How real do you think the reported potential chaos in the offseason of pro basketball will actually be?
Speaker 6: Well, I'm fairly certain Durant is gonna move. I'm fairly I'm fairly confident that Giannis is not gonna move. But I'm fairly certain that I think that this is going to be a wild off season because for a couple of reasons, the landscape of the NBA is wide open. Anybody can win this thing from year to year. There's no money on the market, so the free agency market, uh is caka, you know. So that leaves the trade market in terms in terms of movement. So I think you're gonna see a lot of activity prior to Draft night, on Draft night, after draft night, and I think you're gonna see a lot of activity in the first couple of in the first couple of weeks of free agency. You know, teams think that they're close. You know, I can tell you right now if you talk if you spoke to Daryl moy right now, as bad as Philadelphia was this year, if you talk to Daryl Mory right now, he'll be like, well, if we get Joel and b back healthy, we get Paul George back healthy, we have a therapick in the draft, we might move down. We might trade for Trey Murphy, we might trade for Herb Jones. We're right there in the Eastern Conference. And this is from a guy who finished thirteenth in the Eastern Conference. You know, so the you know, you look at the San Antonio Spurs. They finished tenth or or eleventh or twelfth in the Eastern Conference. I mean in the Western Conference. I bet you they're thinking they're right there. We have Victor Winbayam and maybe we're gonna you know, we have Daron Fotx and Stephen Castle. You know, there are a lot of teams all across the map, playoff teams, championship level teams, teams that weren't playing teams or playoff teams last year, that feel that they're one or two moves away. And when you have that, you know, that breathed chaos. So I think we're gonna see, you know, a lot of talk, a lot of rumors, a lot of potential movement, and a lot of actual movement when when the time comes.
Speaker 2: Okay, Tom, since you and I last spoke, Sarah Todd from of the program Friend of Yours, Bill Simmons on his podcast, Zach Lowe on his podcast are three of the media members I've seen either talk about or write about the fact that the Jazz are actively taking phone calls on Lowry Marketing and Walker Kessler. Now, does that mean they will move them? Of course that's not what that means.
Speaker 1: And of the one thousand rumors we'll hear over the course of the next few weeks, maybe five of them actually happen. So what is your source and indicate about the Jazz potentially taking phone calls on Walker and Lowry.
Speaker 7: I mean they you.
Speaker 6: Know, they'll take phone calls on anybody. Nobody's untouchable on the Jazz roster.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 6: But you know, if you want Lowry marketing, or if you want Walker Kessler, you're gonna have to give the Jazz a lot. And you know that's the way it's always been with them. I mean, listen, our favorite team offered two first round picks for Walker Kessler last year at Draft Knight. They were told now, and that's our favorite team. And you know who I'm talking about. That was Draft Knight last last year. They were told now, you know. So, I mean the bar to get any of those two guys is extremely high. I mean, they're at least twenty teams you know, across the league that wont to trade for Walter Tesler. The Los Angeles Lakers are dying to trade for Walker Tesler. So you know, it's just going to be a matter if if you know, they meet the threshold, and that threshold is going to be high, and if not, then they won't be traded. You know, if this is not the Jazz, are you know saying extra actually read all about it lotry marketing, then Walker Tesler on the market, you know, go ahead and give me your best trade offer and I'll just take whatever I can get. These are these are premium asters to the Jazz. These are important guys to the Jazz. Uh and these are these are guys that the Jazz are not going to move uh, not going to move away from lightly. And the other thing is, what if the Jazz go out and trade for trade Markine, then those two guys aren't going to be traded. What if the guy's going Jazz going trade for Trey Young? What if they trade for Cam Johnson? You know, what if they make a move to get older uh to to to to try to be more competitive within the Western Conference. We still don't know with the hiring of Austin Ange, what what way the Jazz are gonna go with their twenty twenty five to twenty twenty six roster. And we won't know until the draft and until you know the opening moments for free agency. So once we do know that, you know, we'll have a better gauge of you know, what the value is of some of the other guys. It's the Jazz, you know, trade Jordan Clarkson, and trade Colin Sexton, and trade John Collins, and you know, turn the roster over to the young kids. And guess what, it makes a lot less sense for Lowry Marketing and Walker Kesseler to be on the roster. So maybe at that point, yes, it becomes more likely that they get moved. But at this point, you know they're gonna they They're gonna get moved if a team gives the Jazz a hault and if that doesn't happen, then they're going to be any U twelve Jazz uniform.
Speaker 1: So of course, Tony, as you know, and for our listeners perspective, the Jazz on a top eight protected pick that goes to Oklahoma City next year if they're not in the top eight. So with that in mind, do you really believe it's a possibility with all the really good players that could be on the move. The Jazz actually kind of zig when everyone thinks they're zagging, and make moves to add veteran talent to the roster.
Speaker 2: Do you think that's on the table.
Speaker 7: I think it's possible.
Speaker 6: Well, you know, when I talk to when I thought the sources within the Jazz organization, I was told at this point any direction as possible. So if possible that the Jazz try to get older and try to be more competitive, it's also possible that the Jazz keeps stripping the roster down. And they said they go into twenty twenty five to twenty six with the roster that can finish with fifty five or sixty losses. I think that the draft will tell us a lot, and I think, you know, free agency will tell us a lot. What I do think definitively is that the Jazz know that they don't have the guy on the roster. I think that that's pretty obvious. And I think that they know that they need more talent on the roster whichever way they go. So you know, I think, you know, there are guys that they need, you know, more evaluation on. I think, you know, in this sense, you know, the tailor Hendrick's injury really hurt, you saw because you know, you know, not because of whatever Taylor would have been on the floor, but because it's essentially Rob the Jazz of essentially a year and a half of evaluation of Taylor and how he fits into and how he fits into the team, and how he fits with his teammates. So, you know, I think that, you know, in some ways there is some sentiment to maybe reset the timeline, but in some ways they're sentiments to go out and be more competitive. I think that the opportunities that arise around the Jazz will tell a big story on what the Jazz do.
Speaker 2: All Right, before we get to the draft, I'm gonna ask you.
Speaker 1: We don't have time to go individual players, so I'm gonna I'm gonna blump them all in and ask you one question about the following group. Isaiah Collier, Kyle Philipowski, Keante, George Taylor, Hendrix, Bryce Senseiba, and Cody Williams. Those six players, I feel like those are the six players that certainly are.
Speaker 2: Under contract next year. Is gonna be interesting.
Speaker 1: The Jazz actually have some options on some of these guys, and they're all kind of the young group that the Jazz have drafted over the past three years or so. I'll leave Walker out of it because Walker is established. I think we all know what Walker is, but out of those six players, who do you think Ton, based on your conversations, they think is going to be around for the long haul and legitimately part of the future moving forward.
Speaker 6: I don't know that any of those guys qualified.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you may not be wrong, man, And.
Speaker 6: That that's that's that's the tough thing about where this rebuild is gone. You know, none of those six guys we can say, you know, definitively, yeah, you know, ten years or let's not even say ten years from now, five years from now, this guy will definitively be on the roster, no question. And you know, none of those six guys, None of those guys qualify. I would have said that Taylor was probably the one that came closest, but he's the one that broke his leg, you know, because Taylor is the one that I would I would bet that when he's healthy, drives winning at the end NBA level more than any of the other five. And you know the other five, you know we all have there. There's all plus and minuses. Keyante George is a terrific scorer. He hasn't guarded anybody, and the Jazz pretty much know that he's not a point guard. So now he's got to be a really a real scorer, but he's got to do it from the shooting guard spot. That probably makes him a six man Isaiah Collier, great passer, broke John Stockton's rookie assist record, can't shoot a lick, So the shooting has to come along a long way for him to to establish himself as a starting NBA level point guard. I really, really, really like Kyle Filipowski offensively. I think he has a chance to be a complete three level scorer offensively for a seven footer and an offensive mismatch defense has to come a long way. Brice sense Ball right now is in the NBA because he was a first round pick and because he's a great shooter. What what is going to get him a second contract? I think that he gets the second con track because he's such a good shooter. But at this point he doesn't have another NBA skill and plus he doesn't have an NBA body, So he has to keep himself in tip top shape and he has to work harder at it than others. Who's the other Who's the fifth one? Is there one I'm missing?
Speaker 2: I don't think no, no, you covered it because you.
Speaker 1: You talked about Isaiah, you talked about Kante, you talked about Taylor and Cody and Field.
Speaker 2: No, no, those are the sext.
Speaker 6: No, we didn't talk about Cody. Cody had a historically bad rookie season and you know, he's got to uh, he's got to establish himself as an NBA level player there. So this is a real uh, this is a really important off season for him, and next year will be an important season for him. So, you know, I think the closest right now is Coletel of Hoowski. We'll see how Taylor comes back, you know, but every you know that that whole six, you know, they all have their flaws, and it puts more even more pressure on the Jazz in my opinion, to really get this draft right. Like they have to get this draft correct, no matter which which way they go, who they take, whether they make a trade, whatever they do, it has to be right. This is the draft that they have to get right.
Speaker 1: All right, before I set you loose, good good breakdown there. Have you changed your opinion on who's best case at five? It's been interesting, Sam Vassini over where you work with the athletic and Givoni. Who's the ESPN dot Com Draft Guy have both indicated con Nipple is rising and rising fast and maybe won't even be there at five. So maybe that shakes up the draft board ton in a way that we weren't anticipating. So final thing for today, best case scenario Tony Jones take Jazz drafting a number five.
Speaker 7: Best case scenario for me.
Speaker 6: Is Trey Johnson. I think that he has a chance to be a complete offensive player. I think that he has a chance to to to be an offensive driver in terms of, you know, being the number one guy. I watch him and he reminds.
Speaker 7: Me of a young Devin Booker.
Speaker 6: I think he has, you know, kind of every skill you want out of the shooting guard. I think he's maybe the.
Speaker 7: Best shot in the very best shot.
Speaker 6: Maker in the draft.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 6: I worry about the defense. I worry about the fact that he's about one hundred night. I think you have to put twenty pounds on. But if I'm the Jazz, that's that's who. That's that's who I want to follow me because I think that he's he's the guy outside of the top two. Yeah, right now, I think has the best shot. Along would be to ask him of eventually developing into an all NBA guy.
Speaker 1: All right, toll, good stuff today, man, have a great weekend, Thanks for the time.
Speaker 2: Happy Friday with chat toon. Hey, Happy Father's Day, oh to you as well. Thank you, sir. Have a great one, okay, fair, I have a good one.
Speaker 5: We're back on the Drive with ESPN's Dave mcminnimmon joining us for today's NBA Daily Assist.
Speaker 1: Game four NBA Finals tonight, six thirty bout in time. We're about three hours and twenty three minutes away from tip.
Speaker 2: It is a massive one.
Speaker 1: We go, I believe, we go live to Indianapolis, where we find fan of small Markets, friend of the program, Dave mcminnimon. Right, Dave, you are live in any Annapolis? Is this correct?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 9: I am Nastown, USA, and it's been a wonderful couple of days here. And if we had anything like we got in Game three tonight, that I will this will vault up towards one of my favorite admit cities. Because these guys are delivering a great at BA Final so far.
Speaker 1: They are they are all right right off the top. If you go out to dinner and you walk into a restaurant, I want you to give me the media member that makes you the most excited and the media member that would motivate you to turn around and walk out the door.
Speaker 6: Well, I will name drop here.
Speaker 9: I was able to break bread with Charles Barkley last night, dinner arranged by Brian Windhorse. So we had about you know, five or six of us on the ESPN side welcome me in our new colleague, the ESPN and Charles Barkley. So that was very exciting and a wonderful meal. On the other one, I mean, you can take your pick of the Tim mcmahonnormon him, you know, come on, I'll be one to turn around right away.
Speaker 1: I saw the IG post and are you familiar with the term thirst trap?
Speaker 2: Dave?
Speaker 9: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, okay, No.
Speaker 2: I mean I'm not saying that's what that was. I just yeah, sure, not the post.
Speaker 1: Or Do you feel confident that you showed well enough to save your job moving forward?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think so. You know, I was peppering in the Philly connections, you know, yeah, playing that angle for sure.
Speaker 2: Did he know who you were?
Speaker 9: Yeah, we've we've had a relationship for about ten years now.
Speaker 8: So for sure.
Speaker 9: I never had a chance other than at a game to chat with him, so to have a three hour dinner and you hear stories and just everything.
Speaker 8: Under the sun.
Speaker 9: He is the same guy on cameras off camera, just delightful and entertaining and opinion. And yeah, it was really cool.
Speaker 1: See that's what makes him who he is though, right, I mean, I had an opportunity when the knickt retired Ewen's number. We all went back and my son at the time was like one and a half and I was holding my son in my arms and Patrick brought us all over to me Charles, and Charles looked at my son and his nose was running, and he grabbed my son out of my arms, wiped his nose with his hand, and gave him back to me. I mean, it's just like this, and my mom got a picture of it. It's like the coolest moment. It really is who, right, like who these people watch on inside the NBA and see Charles, that's exactly who he is when he's not on television.
Speaker 2: But that's what makes him great, wouldn't you say?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 8: For sure?
Speaker 9: And you know, we tried to kind of discuss the secret thoughts of the show, just you know as being fans of the show, and he didn't. There's some methods to the man. That's where he and Shack and any like they don't want to talk about the topics ahead of time, Like that's all on ej. Ernie has the traffic in his head and then they'll spring it on those guys when the red camera light is already on, and you get the spontaneity, you get the improvisation. And then also Charles very cognitive the fact that, like he said, he knows that the hardcore basketball fans are going to find the programming and he wants if the husband is watching with his wife that she's entertained, or if the you know, the kid is watching with his parents, and his parents aren't necessarily sports fans, they're both entertained. Which is it's just a really great way to look at the gig that he's in, because Charles loves basketball as much as anybody else, but he wants to have more people love basketball, and you got to peel as the casual fan.
Speaker 1: So I've heard a couple of different things about Ernie. Okay, and let me be clear, with all respect to your bride, who I think is very elite at her job and everyone over there that does a good job that I don't know that that show works without Ernie. Dave, is he making the move too? Has that announcement been made?
Speaker 9: Ernie is making the move. He's tremendous. Charles, let us be known. I don't think I'm talking out of school here, because you know, I think he's been very reverent when he talked about Ernie in the past. He is doing this next iteration of the show for two reasons. One because of all of the people behind the scenes that he's developed a relationship with over two decades. You know, the camera ops, the producers, show grip, etc.
Speaker 8: Etc.
Speaker 9: At craft services, all those folks that he's gotten to know them and their families. A lot of them were really, yeah, very worried about not having a gig if Inside didn't continue. So that's a principal reason why Charles is continuing. But the other one he shared this with us is Ernie. Ernie is my teammate, and uh, Ernie asked me to stay on in this new kind of deal because Charles said last year he was actually ready to to, you know, finish out this year and walk, but it was important to Ernie, and it was important obviously for him to have all those other folks still have a way to feed the families. And yeah, you know Bernie is he is so good at being totally seemingly buttoned up while being able to throw in like a side one liner that is as funny as anything that Charles or Shack could say, which is tremendous.
Speaker 1: Well, he also Dave, from my perspective, since you asked, you, didn't he understand He understands those guys, and and that that's a really underrated thing for a studio host who works with complicated personalities to be able to understand them. And that doesn't happen overnight. I mean, I've had different radio co hosts and at the start of the show that we launch him like I don't know what's gonna work, And after a few years we kind of get each other's rhythm and cadence and understand the personalities. Like Ernie gets those three in a way that I'm not sure anybody could, at least not initially.
Speaker 9: Yeah, he plays the notes that can kind of get each of their engines revving and then play them off of one another as well, which is a great way man cadence is so apt. It's such an apt way to describe it. And you know, obviously he's a host, but it comes down to being a reporter and having journalistic instcts too, is observation skills, and then obviously, I mean he's a top tier human being too, so I think the long hours that are that are required as a job like that. You know, the way Charles spoke about Ernie last night, he doesn't want to let to earn it down because Ernie, you know, had so much professional pride and again, it's such a good person when the camera's not running.
Speaker 2: That's really cool.
Speaker 1: All right, before we get to the finals, Billy Donovan, Quinn Snyder, Emy Udoka, Jason Kidd, Chris Finch. Like the Knick's response to the best season they've had in twenty five years was to fire a really good coach with no contingency plan.
Speaker 2: It's like comically embarrassing.
Speaker 1: I mean, it is a clown car, a clown busk, a clown playing call whatever you want. I shouldn't be stunned because of that idiot who owns the team and as for twenty seven years, this is just who he is. But what's your reaction to the way they've handled this, and who do you think ultimately they land on and why.
Speaker 9: Yeah, so I'll start with the candidates they've reached out about, like this is completely unprecedented. It'll happen where maybe you'll reach out to one. I've never seen anything like this, to the point where I'm lean the arena after Game three, I see Casey Johnson's report, who's a Chicago based NBA reporter, that the Bulls have not granted permission and rejected the request by the next to speak to the Donovan and I'm like, man, I guess I gotta do my due diligence out and check in with the Lakers because she's like, they're afting for everyone right now. And I know I had to send a text just to make sure they hadn't asked for JJ Reddick, and I almost felt silly doing so. But if they're going to be trying to ask five or six other guys who already have a job, then who's to say they wouldn't with JJ Reddick. That part is wild to me. I think also, as you said, with James Dolan, it's pretty transparent. Now the team tried to make it seem like this was a decision by Leon Rose. It didn't make sense in the moment because we all are aware that Leon Rose was dumpted it as agent and they are very very close. And then I think think leonn Rose in his over the top statement about tib still being family in the release about him losing his job, was his way of saying like, hey, this this actually was not me. And now you say, okay, is this some grand scheme? And then this is an opinion shared by Gilbert Arenas on this podcast. I got to give credit there, but you know, sometimes Gilbert can be, you know, a tinfoil half guy. But it might make sense is that we're going to reach out to a bunch of guys that we know we have no business getting and then we can say, well, we did our due diligence and Rick Brunston gets the job. Like I mean, that's Gilbert's opinion. A way it could go, but at this point that would seem just as feasible as any other scenario that'sented thus far.
Speaker 1: Well, and whoever they hired Dave, you know, the intro press conference, one of the New York guys, maybe I Sola or whoever is going to like, hey, how does it feel to be the sixth choice?
Speaker 7: Man?
Speaker 1: Like, you know, that's going to be a narrative to whoever the coaches will have to deal with as long as he's coached that team.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and listen, I mean when the Lakers replaced Luke Walt, they offer the job to Toronto Loo, they offered the job to John Howard. Ultimately it went to Frank Frank Vogel, and that felt like, wow, like you're gonna at the third choice here, but yeah, this guy will be the sixth choice or later, which is It's just it's just absurd, and you know, I the teams will push back and say, well, you know what, there's only thirty few jobs and whoever gets it will be happy to take it, you know, Jordan not. Maybe you think he's walking into a tough situation in Phoenix with Bradley Beal's no trade clause and Kevin Durant probably going out and you know, not a lot of trade assets to speak of moving forward. But hey, man, he's one of the guys. He got one of the thirty spots, so he'll be happy to have it. And maybe they're justified to some degree in taking that position. But if they really want to end this championship drought, and that's what's motivating the decision, you are certainly not setting the person who remember it is that you end up hiring up for success based on their entry into the job. It will be a circus to begin the year based on the way they've handled the last two weeks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well said, all right, before we get to the finals.
Speaker 1: What conversations can you share as far as your sourcing goes concerning the rumored drama and player movement this offseason, Giannis Durant. Everyone on the Celtics, apparently outside of Tatum and others. I mean, you hear rumors almost every single day about not just bit pieces, but legitimate star players that could be changing teams, that could move and change the landscape or league. How real are these rumors and do you think we'll see a number of them actually come to fruition.
Speaker 9: It is something that's been repeated by a lot of folks that I speak to, and obviously we have the stuff above the surface that we've seen far the reporting by Seams Sharania, especially the Kevin Durant situation. Shams did a report today saying that that that could be coming, you know, even sooner than say Draft night. I think a lot of us were thinking that that would be the first domino to fall. On Wednesday, that's when we see a lot of this movement occur. But basically, Sham's reported that not only had the team list that Durant's representation had kind of provided to the Sun's already been cut down from five or six teams down to three, that this could happen in the next couple of days. So that's significant. And once that happens, yeah, I think then you'll see the people who might have been in the running for Durant. Maybe they changed their sites towards ye honest, maybe they said change their sights towards Jalen Brown and Drew Holliday and Chriszingis. Like I think, on the Boston front, we're pretty positive that Drew Holliday and Prisoner's going to be moved to avoid the punitive luxury tax for a team that without Jason Tatum will not be competing for a championship next year. So that's a given. And those are two significant pieces, and then Durant is certainly a given. And once you talk about that, and then you throw in the fact that outside of Cooper Flag, there's not like a consensus of two through eight in this draft. Then you can see teams trading down as well. And when teams are willing to trade down and draft picks of that quote unquote value get started moving around, then you see big names being moved around as well.
Speaker 7: So I do think.
Speaker 9: There's some fire to the smoke, and really, yeah, I think it will really just all start to come together with Drank gets moved.
Speaker 1: Since we are in Salt Lake City, I'm quite sure the answer will be a very emphatic no. But have you heard anything since you and I last spoke about the as taking phone calls on Lowry Marketing and Walker Kessler.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 9: The only thing you know all that front that you know, and this is I'm sure we've had this conversation to some degree over the last eighteen months that Walker Kessler remains the name that the Lakers are intrigued by whether that would lead to any sort of deal. You know, obviously last year the asking price was too too steep, and obviously the Lakers ended up pivoting those assets that they were considering moving to the Jets to get Kessler in order to do the Luca trade. So you know that came off the table after the Luca trade, but if they do revisit it, you know that that remains a player that the Lakers feel could fit the voids that they have at center. Again, I'm not reporting anything's moving towards or picking up steam or anything like that, but Kessler remains on the Lakers radar.
Speaker 2: Let me just follow up real quick, what what frame work of a deal would make sense? And do they have draft capital because you know that's what Austin and is going to be asking for.
Speaker 9: So they do have a twenty thirty one first round draft pick ticket trade and then a don't connect who had a really good first half of the season and then you know, not so great, looked more like a rookie in the secondlf of the season and really wasn't trusted by JJ Reddick in the high leverage moments in the playoffs. However, he's a guy who you know, he can put up numbers and it could could could become you know, no delicate way to say this could become a fan brave it in Utah as a you know, hoigh scoring white guy, So you know there there could be some sort of package to be had around that. I mean, quite frankly, any sort of package the Lakers would be pursuing would involve that twenty thirty one first round draft pick, Connect because obviously he showed some value and it still could be looked at as like kind of like a restaurant draft picks. And then the expiant contract of Gabe Vincent and Derrick Vanderbilt. Like, that's kind of the stuff the Lakers have to work with, and they'll see what the market can give them back for those assets.
Speaker 2: So you want us to trade our exciting, big white guy for the underwhelming white guy that can shoot it in Saul, late Dave, is that what you're asking us to do?
Speaker 9: I mean, yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 6: Is that much more exciting than Connect?
Speaker 2: Fair? Fair?
Speaker 1: He's good and he would play well in Los Angeles, a good player. But we'll move on. Now, we can move on. Hey, before I ask you about the game tonight, you know, I've got my brother and sister in law live in Carmel, Indiana, and a couple of my nephews went to Game three. What's the what's the feel around? And I know I teach you about the small market stuff. It's a great basketball state, it's a great basketball city. They haven't had the finals in forever. What's what's the feel and the buzz Since you're on the ground of that.
Speaker 9: Community, it's been really really cool. And Indie is kind of in one of the cities where you can stay at a hotel downtown and everything's walkable, and because it's kind of compact, every business front has some sort of pacer signage on it, and very similar I would say to okay See. Now, the Indian is bigger than okay See. But you know, you're not necessarily needing to leave the center of the metropolis to you know, experience covering the team while you're down here, and so you feel like there's a full immersion in it. And you know it may seem like a silly thing, but in both Indiana and okay See, you see all the fans wearing the free T shirt giveaway. It creates a visual environment when you walk into the arena, they are loud, they are on their feet. You know, it's cool to see the alumnus of the program coming back. You Reggie Miller sitting courtside Oscar Robertson, you know, a legend of the game hot if you've played for the Cincinnati Royals, kind of a Midwest type of legend, type of guy back sitting courtside as well. It's kind of like meeting the moment of this really good basketball being met by really passionate fan bases. And you know, no matter what the ratings say, if you are watching this game on TV, happen to be, you know, part of the shrinking television fan base or certainly coming in person, there's no way your walk away after three games thus far and not saying this has been a really good NBA Finals.
Speaker 1: The entire postseason, Dave has been awesome. I talked about it to start the show, and yes, it's been And you know, it's interesting. We'll end on this because I got to set you loose. All three of the games so far have been different, you know, and it's interesting to watch the chess match between.
Speaker 2: Two really really good coaches.
Speaker 1: So, based off of what you've witnessed over the first three games, what are you anticipating tonight As far as adjustments that dag Nault now has to make after Rick Carlisle made some very savvy adjustments.
Speaker 2: Game three, how do you think tonight's going to go?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean, listen, they got to find a way to try and Shay still put up numbers, but he just seemed to be wearing down a little bit by the end of the game, and to try to alleviate him some of the pressure. You know, maybe you're bringing the ball up with case and wallets, bringing the ball up with Alex Caruso and not having Shay need to start the action until catching on the pass pass half court and you know you do that thirty times a game, maybe you have, you know, incremental extra energy left your legs when it matters in the fourth quarter because what they have, what Indiana has right now is a matchup advantage and throwing Andrew Nemzard on him and his kind of mentality and not just his you know, obviously he had the phisicality and the quickness to be able to stay with Shaye, but his mentality of like, he's just a dude. I've known since I was a teenager. He's not some special MVP has allowed them to play really good straight one on one defense against him. So thus far the series, Chase just shooting seven for twenty in one on one possessions against Andrew Neimharn Like, that's been a pretty remarkable thing that that Indy found and the way Dignaut can combat it is you try to find as many situations where Shay is catching it on the move and not in a one on one just half court scenario where you're pounded down the rock and allowing Indy to set their defense that way. And then I also think you saw Check have some success in the first half looking to score quick before Indy could really set their defense. And whether it's it's Chet, you saw some of it from Loudort also in the first half. Just be free and easy and get those shots up because the best looks are going to get are going to be in the first five seconds for the shot clock. Indy, especially with this crowd behind them, they just get more confident as the possession goes on. So o case he's going to have to try to force some pace against this team.
Speaker 1: All right, my friend, appreciate the time, enjoy the game tonight should be a fun and want old chat soon, Dave, Thank you, sir him. Dave mcmannon NBA reporter for ESPN. Get them on social Media at MC ten is where you find him. Tonight's game is three hours away from tip Game four Big One in Indianapolis Game Bridge Field House, and you can hear the game right here on ESPN. Seven hundred Dave stops by today courtesy of our friends at Utah Elite Services. The definition of elite a select group that's superior inability and quality. That's exactly what you get with Utah Lead Services, Utah's premier asphalt and concrete specialists. From crack ceiling striping not stripping, and asphalt repairs to full concrete tear out and replacement. They can do it all, commercial, retail or residential. There's no job too big or small. Utah Lead Services can give you a no cost quote today. Give them a call at eight oh one eight two one eight six seven zero. That's eight one eight two one eighty six seven zero eight oh one eight two one eight six seven zero. Our good friends at Utah Elite Services, Chris Comraaddie will join us live in studio early the four o'clock hour. NBA playoffs resumed tonight. NBA Finals resumed tonight six thirty Mountain time, so just under two or three hours away excuse me from tip. You can hear Game four Indiana OKC on our radio station. But the third major championship in the world of professional golf is going on right now. Our next guest host of Utah Golf Radio to enlighten, illuminate and entertain on a Friday afternoon, Paul Pugmyer, Happy Friday, sir, How are you?
Speaker 8: I'm so good? It's US Open League Spencer, it.
Speaker 1: Is indeed, I want to start here. What's the hardest golf course? Well, actually, have you played Oakmont? If not, what's the hardest. What's the hardest golf course you've ever played?
Speaker 8: Paul, Oh, the ocean course where the PGA Championship has been held twice. There are a couple of shots on that from the tips that just are almost unplayable for mortals, or maybe they are unplayable. It was such a tough course, so there's a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll tell you what.
Speaker 1: I have never played Oakmont, and it is bringing some of the world's best golfers to their knees. Paul, tell us about this track, Why is it playing so difficult?
Speaker 8: It was designed to be difficult. Its conception from the beginning was to be the hardest course in the world, and it has stood up to that for one hundred and twenty years. It was built at the turn of the twentieth century nineteen o three by a steel baron in Pittsburgh named Henry c. Phones. He got a diagnosis that he had a year to live, so he sold out. He sold to Andrew Carnegie and and his mill became what eventually was us Steel. And then he took his money and he said, what I want to do with this year I have left to live is build the toughest golf course in the world. Turns out the diagnosis was wrong. He lived thirty five years more. However, he succeeded in building the toughest golf course in the world. He built Oakmont. It is his one and only golf course design project. It is one of the classics in the world, and it has stood the test of time.
Speaker 2: It is a brute So what specifically I mean.
Speaker 1: I was listening to the coverage, watching some of the coverage before the first round, and the guys on the Golf channel said, the rough is like five and a half inches.
Speaker 2: The greens are rolling at fourteen, Like, that's so dumb.
Speaker 1: I can't even imagine that what specifically about the track makes it so challenging.
Speaker 8: Paul, Well, it's not just that the greens are rolling at fourteen and they might end up rolling at fifteen by the time we get to Sunday. The green complexes are among the most severe in the world, and taken as a total of eighteen complexes together, they are the most severe green complexes in the world, both in terms of size and slope and undulation. And then you add in the speed that we've already mentioned that the putting of Oakmond is so incredibly difficult. The reugh is a feature, not a bug. They designed it from the beginning to have big, heavy, thick rough and the fairways are tight, the fairways are Hitting the fairway is a big deal. It matters when you hit the fairway. If you don't, you're in that rough and it will take it's a half a shot penalty and in some cases a full shot penalty to hit it in the rough. You've just got to hit the fairway in it. That is such a difficult task. The fairways are narrow and the fairways are sloped as well, so the effective landing area on a fairway is pretty narrow. You can hit it, drive the lands on the fairway, but it'll chase through into the rough on the low side anyway.
Speaker 2: So a couple of the.
Speaker 1: Ways I heard the course described, and certainly some of the elements you just kind of pointed out very well. I felt like, maybe, like when Tony is peaked, Tony, this feels like a course. And look, none of these guys and we'll get to the players that are playing well. But whether it's Scotti or Rory, I mean, some of the best players in the world are just having a difficult time. Tony actually played pretty well today, but it was a seventy six round one followed it with a seventy today. And so what do you make of Tony's inability to handle a course where based off of the outline of the track, I felt like he might have a chance to maybe be in this thing.
Speaker 8: I agree with you. I think this is a course that fits Tony's game. Well, Tony is so strong, so powerful, he has such long levers, such good hands. He's a freak athlete with an incredibly great athletic body, which means that he can swing at less than eighty percent. He can swing at sixty percent and get plenty out of his shot making. But he went into this tournament kind of searching in his petting stroke. I think we talked last week about how he hit the Pett Memorial one handed. You cannot go to Oakmont searching for something that won't let you find it. It will only expose that you don't know. And I think that's what happened on the seventy six. The seventy today, which was a terrific round, puts him inside the cut line. He'll play the weekend, but it also tells me that he's just kind of accepting what Oakmont will give him. Tony might well play himself into a stronger position come the weekend.
Speaker 2: Our other two local players will not be playing over the weekend. Zach Blair, who went viral for making like a one hundred and twenty yard putt, which is just like, you know, just ridiculous, but I guess you know that's the course. And then Preston had a rough day to day started in eighty So give me your thoughts on Zach and Preston will not be playing through the weekend.
Speaker 8: This course might simply be too big for Zach Blair's game Zach's. Zach's game is built on a superb wedge play. Now, the one thing that I need to look at the numbers and look at the shot link statistics on Zach Zach's first two rounds. But if he was missing the fairways at all, and I mean at all, the course is just too big for the second shot and a five inch rough and the reality is you're not going to hit every fairway at Okemont. Nobody is. So there's that for Preston Summer Hayes. Preston just began his professional career last week on the Corn Ferry Tour. He got corn Fairy status by finishing seventh in PJ Tour university ranking coming out of college this year, so he's just getting his feet under him as a pro. It still was out of character for him to be that much over Park. I don't really know what was happening with Preston except that holy cow oakemand is hard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and another player who, barring a really fast finish, will not be playing over the weekend, as Rory McElroy. Paul and I believe this marks his third straight tournament since he was able to get that Grand Slam under his belt where he will not be playing over the weekend. But I want to add another layer to the question. He's turned into this like whiny little baby. You know, he's like, he won't talk to the media. He's complaining, he's like a petulant little child, And honestly, I think that's the wrong approach because it feels like when he's front facing and communicating, it's actually better for his game. The guys on the Golf channel were talking about it last night. What do you think's going on with him? I'm kind of soured on him for now, if I'm honest with.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Oh, I hear you, and I feel you, and I share your view. I'm saddened by it because I think Rory is one of the great people in the game. Clearly a great player, but he's one of the best thinkers in the game. He's one of the best ambassadors of the game. And he has been acting childish since a guest and I don't understand why, but heck, he launched a club a few minutes ago. I might have it up on my auxiliary monitor here at work, and Rory hit a pretty crummy shot and he launched the club out of his follow through now. He threw it forward, which you know is good strategy. Don't ever throw a club backward. But it's sad. It's sad to me that a player, a man of his excellence, is allowing himself to behave like this.
Speaker 1: It's very disappoint You're a lot kinder than I on I think he's a baby. I just think it's just ridiculous. Let's let's move over and give some flowers where they're due. I mean, Bryson's not playing well, Wyndham's not playing well. Shane Lowry is one of the he's near the bottom of this like it's wild to watch this challenge. Really take it, take it out of the best players in the world. But let's give Sam Burns a little credit because he found a sixty. He's found a sixty five today. Paul, after a rough finish yesterday, did card of seventy two, which is a fine score. But he goes low to day sixty five. He along with JJ, of course, who deserves a lot of credit. There are leaders as of now, so give me your thoughts on the two at the top of the leaderboard.
Speaker 8: Both of them need to prove that they belong in the conversation as being among the best players in the world. Both of them are on the cusp of being in the conversation of being among the best players in the world. I JJ Spawn, of course, was in He's been getting better statistically over the past few years. He is firmly inside the top twenty in the world right now, but he hasn't yet gotten over the top on a big win. He nearly did it with the Players Championship earlier this spring. He took Rory McElroy to a playoff, and look, if you're making it to a playoff at the Players on TPC Sawgrass, you are playing great golf on a great golf course against a great field. Sam Burns again a really terrific player. He's had a solid PGA career, lashes of greatness, but he hasn't done He hasn't gotten over the top on a big win yet. Both of these players need that to cemit their status as being among the best players in the world. They both need this win this week, and they're both doing things that you've got to do. Look, Spawns round yesterday is not sustainable. He had seven puts of longer than seven feet to save par. You can't do that four days in a row at Oakmont, nobody can. But today he's been making pars by keeping it on short grass. Go JJ, that's incredibly impressive. Burns sixty five today a monster round and he kept it in play. He had one bogey on the card, still didn't have a clean card. Those are very very rare at Okamont. But Burns sixty five today is very impressive. And his seventy two yesterday two over parr but it didn't knock him out of the tournament, and so his sixty five today mattered and there he is t one all.
Speaker 1: Right, Paul, Before we find out what's on the show tomorrow, history tells us that in a US Open such as this, when it comes to second round behind us, the winner is probably going to come from the group that's within four shots of the lead. So that tells us that obviously Sam and JJ, Victor Hovelin's in that mix. Adam Scott as of now, is in that mix, My guy Sam Stevens is in that mix. But right outside of it, of course, Brooks cap gets a major championship, so Brooks usually shows up, even though the past few you haven't been great. So I'll ask you, do you agree that the data indicates that the winner will come from this group that's been within four shots at the lead or are you willing to expand that to include a Brooks Koepka or Xander Schaffle or of course a Scotty Scheffler.
Speaker 2: Like So that's kind of where we're at right now. What are your thoughts?
Speaker 8: I think Scheffler's too far out, but you know, Scheffler shot at seventy one. Today he's at plus four, which is t twenty six. But I'm totally willing to expand it because this is Oakmont. Nobody will go get the winners at Oakmont. It happened once in the history of the game, and that was nineteen seventy three with Utah's own Johnny Miller, when he shot six on Sunday to jump up thirty spots on the on the leaderboard and win the US Open. It remains I think the greatest single round ever played the But you just can't expect that that level of history will be made again, which means people are going to come backward, not forward, and that brings more scores into play. Nobody will have four rounds of good scores at this tournament. And so if Brooks keptk is seventy too, today is his week round and you know he pairs it with his sixty eight yesterday. Pardon his seventy four today. If that's his week round and he's had a sixty eight, if they if he has strong rounds over the weekend, he could be right in the mix. He's just six back. I totally think Kepkik is still in the mix. I think Adam Scott definitely in the mix. And boy, wouldn't that be interesting to see Adam Scott finally get a US Open. Victor Hoblin has to be taken totally seriously. He currently sits at minus one and he has his sixty eight today. In the books, he's done. The rest of these players, the Spawns, Burns, Thomas Dietrie a really nice player who's had a solid career, but he hasn't done anything big yet. Tristan Lawrence, who's made a lot of noise on the DP World Tour old in Europe, hasn't done anything in the States yet. Ben Griffin really interesting player. He's been on SiZ lately. He's had a very strong year. Griffin's going to make the Ryder Cup team. This is a Ryder Cup player, and so it'd be interesting to see him really step forward and make some noise. He's in the mix as well. But I am totally willing to expand that statistically established four strokes after two rounds number. I think we can take it to seven. Because it's Oakmont.
Speaker 2: All right, Paul, Before I say you, Louise, tell our listeners what's coming up on what should be a fun show for you tomorrow.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's gonna We're going to have fun. We're going to do a lot of Oakmont and US Open stuff. Danny Summer Hayes, he had a T eight, a top ten in the US Open in two thy sixteen when it was last played there. We're going to talk with Danny about his experience playing Oakmont. And we're gonna get Guy yoakum Utah, Golf Hall of Famer from Golf Digest, and we're going to get him on to talk about Johnny Miller's sixty three in nineteen seventy three, the greatest round of golf ever played. Guy yoakum is just he is all knowledge on this stuff. It's going to be great. We're going to be talking a lot of us open, a lot of Oakmont and we will be at Glenn Moore tomorrow for the Utah Golf Association Junior State am the state championship for the kid It gets underway tomorrow at Glenmore.
Speaker 1: Paul, thank you, sir. Enjoy the rest of the tournament. We'll chat next week.
Speaker 8: Can't wait. Thanks so much.
Speaker 1: Hi, there is Paul Pugmyer you Tah Golf Radio Tour Talk with Paul pug Meyer is brought to you today by Camclad.
Speaker 2: Choose beyond Today.
Speaker 1: Choose Camclad Moore information at camclad dot com, join us live and studio. Jamie Aslett the general manager of Keto's Brewing. Jamie, how are you. Let's get her Mike up just a little bit, Jamie. I'm great, love your brewery. By the way, you guys do an excellent job. So you're just getting back from the North American Brewers Competition and you guys won some events.
Speaker 2: There are some medals. Let's hear about it.
Speaker 4: We did.
Speaker 10: We won two golds in a bronze.
Speaker 2: Okay, so which beers won the golds.
Speaker 10: My Blondale and a Suki Sake Ricelogger which was a collaboration with Suki Sock.
Speaker 2: Okay, tell me about the blondale. What do you want our listeners to know?
Speaker 10: Uh, it is a crisp, clean ale which just enough sweetness to showcase a delicate Mault backbone balanced with pine and citrus notes from the usage of cascade and comet hops.
Speaker 2: And the second one you said it was your Suki Sake.
Speaker 10: So Suki Sake is a local sake producer and we did a collaboration with their sake mix and sushi grade rice to make it a rice lagger saki beer.
Speaker 1: I didn't even know that was a thing because I was going to ask you what the differences between cause if you go eat sushi, you usually get sake. I didn't know you can make a saki beer. Very interesting.
Speaker 10: You can make a rice lagger. A lot of places have. Those are the differences. We can use the sake, but it has to be made with fifty one percent grain. Okay, so it has to be fifty one percent rice, then sake.
Speaker 2: How did you get into this?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 2: How did you develop your love for brewing and making beer? What's the origin store here?
Speaker 10: I don't make the beer, I just drink the beer.
Speaker 2: You just drink the beer.
Speaker 10: I have a great brew staff, and I am super happy that I can just showcase them and support everything that they do.
Speaker 2: Are you local? Are you from our market?
Speaker 10: I am from Idaho originally.
Speaker 2: You're from Idaho originally?
Speaker 1: So how did you kind of make your way to running the ship over at Kido's.
Speaker 10: It's a hard opportunity to pass up it.
Speaker 2: Sure is.
Speaker 1: So have you worked in the service restaurant industry for an I.
Speaker 10: Have been in customer service industry for.
Speaker 2: US summer service. Okay, very nice. Finally, coffee creaml one of bronze. Let's hear about this one.
Speaker 10: It is what we call the morning beer. It is what a lot of golfers drink.
Speaker 2: Okay, good morning on the golf course.
Speaker 10: A little be coffee in it. We use King Peak roast some coffee beans for us, so we use the real coffee beans.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So if you're a golfer and you have an early tea time, this is something you could consider.
Speaker 10: Breakfast beer.
Speaker 2: Breakfast beer. I like it. I like it. Okay. So you guys are celebrating eight.
Speaker 10: Years coming up right yep in September.
Speaker 2: Right before I set you loose locations website what do you want our listeners to know?
Speaker 10: Ketosbrewing dot com. We're at six o' we eight West seven hundred South in Salt Lake. And if you're looking for the freshest beer, we just canned our hazy double IPA about a couple hours ago.
Speaker 1: Very nice, and I would imagine your beers are also in state liquor stores right available for people to get there.
Speaker 10: Yes, liquor stores, some in the grocery stores, bars and restaurants all over. But we make over fifty different beers and they're available at the taproom.
Speaker 1: Okay, some in the grocery store. Finally, goodness, gracious, well, Jamie, nice to meet you, Thanks for coming in. Okay, thanks for having me, Jamie asked Led, general manager of Keto's Brewing. They just wont two gold medals and a bronze at the North American Brewers competition. So some good stuff there, Blondale gold for the Sukisake rice lagger and a bronze for the coffee creamal So definitely check him out, all right, Two hours down, two hours to go. Chris Camaraddi joins us live in studio, coming up next right here on ESPN seven hundred.
Speaker 2: Ketos means thank you in finish expressing gratitude. Keto's Brewing, a locally born brewery, expresses that gratitude with every pore, from their Great American Beer Fest Gold medal winning Blondale Coffee Cream Ale, the BlackBerry Sour, which is the best selling sour in Utah, to the only true gluten free ale in Utah. There's something for everyone.
Speaker 1: Taste for yourself at their taphouse, downtown bars around the city, grocery stores or local liquor stores, or can be found at Keto'sbrewing dot com. I do feel like this song encapsulates what our next guest means to The Drive Live Monday through Friday, two to six. Chris comm live in studio on a Friday. Used to probably like exclusively Fridays, and we got.
Speaker 2: You on a Friday.
Speaker 4: Well it's it's summertime. Yeah, and my significant other is no longer working public educator.
Speaker 2: Yes, so I am. I am free of my constraints. Well, we appreciate you. Rolling in Beach Boys fan Brian Wilson passing this.
Speaker 4: Week, huge fan. Yeah, I was listening to Fresh Air and they re aired his last two interviews with Terry gross In nineteen eighty eight, nineteen ninety eight and very fascinating guy, very very sad story like you if you don't know about Brian Wilson, like a very depressing but also enlightening human being, like went through a lot of mental health challenges, sure, but a genius in his own right. And this song is one of my favorites of all time for a lot of reasons. But it always reminds me of the end of Boogie Nights for sure, with the Buck super Stereo world like it. Yeah, it was. It was fascinating to listen to Brian Wilson himself talk about all of his stuff in these old interviews.
Speaker 1: This week, I'll have to check that. I mean, I've seen the documentaries. And then there was a movie made, Love and Mercy, which was excellent.
Speaker 2: I lucked out.
Speaker 1: When I was ten years old, my uncle Nate played in a beach Boys cover.
Speaker 2: Band called Surf's Up.
Speaker 1: Naturally, they played a lagoon and I thought he was like a beach boy wow, you know. And so when we moved back East, my uncle Nate, to his credit, yeah, to his ever living credit. Quite frankly, I think he knew this was going to be a difficult move for a ten year old. Sure, he gave me pet sounds on tape. Okay, wow, because I had a walkman at the time, not even a dismand this was nineteen eighty eight. Yeah, he gave me pet sounds on tape. He gave me Revolver on tape, Sergeant Pepper's on tape, and then another Beach Boys. He gave me two Beatles albums and two Beach Boys albums on tape.
Speaker 4: Why haven't we hung out with Uncle Nate? Is he still around?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 2: He's around. He's the best.
Speaker 4: Why haven't we hung out with Uncle Nate?
Speaker 10: He is?
Speaker 2: You know, let's do it? Is he?
Speaker 4: Is he a namesake for your brother? Don't you have a brother?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 1: Yeah, my brother Nate was named after my uncle Nate. No, my uncle Nate lives in Bountiful.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think he has five or six kids, a bunch of grandkids now.
Speaker 4: Too, Would Uncle Nate want to hang out with Nate bench?
Speaker 2: Yes, and now that's all I want, quite frankly. No, he's the sweetest guy and he very much colored my musical taste as a kid, which I'm very grateful for.
Speaker 1: And he so he introduced me to the Beach Boys. Greatest American rock band of all time?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, probably, I think most influential at the time. I mean, like, if the Beatles don't burst out of the scene, I think the Beach Boys ride out the sixties basically dominating that decade. But the Liverpool Invasion changed, dude. But like if we're talking about if we're talking about Beach Boys versus you know, the soft dad rock of the seventies with the Eagles, Doobie Brothers, the yacht we get into some good yacht rock. Ironically, it's weird, like how many of those, like I'm thinking of just off the top of my head, just like the band's basically mentioned or pseudo mentioned and almost famous. Most of them are British bands for sure. Like it's yeah, I mean I know that this is what people are wanting to listen to on a Friday, but on the sports radio. But it's like, it's fascinating. How if you really break it down in the lexicon of the history of American rock and roll, the Beach Boys are absolutely up there.
Speaker 1: I think anyone who's listening to you and I knows the deal by now. I would hope so we might get into the top Phillips you more Hoppman movies of all time again we did almost famous. So best American rock band of all time Aerosmith, Eagles, this is Rolling Stones list, Van Halen, The Doors, Metallica, Creedence, Grateful Dead, Tom.
Speaker 2: Petty, Creeden's Gotta be up there, r Em.
Speaker 1: If you want to get weird, Nirvana, Leonard Skinner, Velvet Underground, Guns N' Roses, Steely Dan, it might be the Beach Boys that might be the answer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think out of all those bands that you named, I would go Beach Boys, Steely Dan's Gotta be in There and Criminally On and Credence.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, absolutely and CCR r em Fan. I would imagine you a phase at one point. Yeah, you know, not too much and probably not the greatest.
Speaker 4: I kind of miss like your like I unfortunately didn't get the ninety one to ninety five grunge.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, our guy that we talked about that you forgot passed away like ten years ago, Chris Cornell, like like that, I kind of missed that window due to my age.
Speaker 2: And you bring that up by.
Speaker 1: The way, I just said, stumbled upon a Chris Cornell cover of Nothing Compares to You, Okay, and I was very impressed. I forgot he died literally a decade Sound Garden, food Fighters, Red Hot, Chilled.
Speaker 4: Dow, I would throw red I throw red Hot in the mix, at least for a contemporary point of view for.
Speaker 1: Me, Pearl Jam, Crosby, Stills, Nash, and if my dad's listening, I have to include Young. In my house it was Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young because my dad was a huge Neil Young fan.
Speaker 4: Well he was the best one.
Speaker 1: Well, David Crosby man, yuh okay, I mean Melissa Etheridge chose him as her sperm donor to have a kid because he was such a talented musician. Let's stay and do this for an hour. That's cool, man, It's all I want to do.
Speaker 4: I hope to be that guy one day.
Speaker 2: You can't be you're that guy today? Okay, not one day? All right, Chris.
Speaker 1: Since we're getting weird, let's keep getting weird. Uh my guy poach, my guy poached Tino. Let me start here. Does this change the way we view the job?
Speaker 2: Greg did? No?
Speaker 4: It does not, No, But I you know I don't like two to my own horn. But do you remember my hottest take before the last World Cup? Well, remind me was that I would not be surprised if we didn't qualify it.
Speaker 2: Yes, last week you did warn us, which was accurate.
Speaker 4: And we got dangerously close for a second. I mean we missed in eighteen. We got dangerously close in twenty twenty two, and Guitar.
Speaker 2: Didn't you call that we would miss eighteen too? No you didn't.
Speaker 4: I I that still still too soon. The wounds are too deep, yeah, Trinida. Anyways, it doesn't change the job that Greg did, because Greg didn't do a bad job. And I think that's one thing that the soccer fans in this country are always going to be torn apart of the seams of how do we best utilize the talent that we have? How is this talent pool best deployed? And traditionally we've been and by traditionally I mean like our most successful international tournaments on the men's side in the last twenty years have been a bunch of guys who defend like hell and get it to your guys up front and make them bleep happen. And that's not to say that those teams were incapable of playing this very fluid, possession style soccer that so many people worldwide play. But odds are when you're in a major international tournament as the US men's national team, you're going to more often than not be it a talent discrepancy. Like there is going to be a talent discrepancy and you're going to be on the other side of the coin. So when you get to these tournaments, how do you best utilize your talent? This quote unquote Golden Generation was supposed to be the era that would take us into the play with flair, possession, break teams down, tire them out, and you have players that are capable of playing that style. But for a multitude of reasons, guys have been hurt over the years. You're talking about lots of drama. I mean, side note, we finally arrived as a soccer country because we just can't get out of our own way in terms of like the drama. Like that's that's when you like national teams worldwide are just like the most talked about sports soap opera, because that's all like it really is.
Speaker 2: You sent me an article on the French national team.
Speaker 4: Yes, my yeah, like moms getting involved with stuff and like telling players that they shouldn't like tackle their sons in training. Yes, that was I think that was Euro twenty twenty two, when France flamed out after winning the World.
Speaker 2: Cup in eighteen.
Speaker 4: That's right, But Greg didn't do a bad job. And I and I I think what what What the run of results under Pochettino showed us is that we have to recalibrate our expectations of this team because we're everybody is talking about this landmark once in a generational moment next summer across the US, Mexico and Canada. I mean it is, but I don't know if we're to the point now, Spence, that you're going to bring in people that haven't bought into the sport. Like I don't think that you're gonna have parents watch the US men's national team play. Let's just let's just say, like, uh, Slovakia or Switzerland next year in as in Dallas, and they're not gonna say, oh, I'm gonna have to get my kid.
Speaker 2: Involved in soccer.
Speaker 4: Now. The people who are involved on the ground level, as fans are, are loving it. No matter what, people will get their Olympic fever type you know, temperature every four years with the World Cup. But I I just I think everybody kind of has to pump the brakes on. This is going to change soccer in this country.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it is.
Speaker 1: Well, it's it's a fair point. When the last World Cup was here in ninety four, it did spawn the creation of Major League Soccer of MLS, so there was that. But you know, when it comes to the effect of a World Cup in our region on the sport, it's just something that I hear every time. You know, there's I remember when we brought the club here in two thousand and four, Don Garb was saying, this is great timing because the World Cup's in two years. It wasn't here two thousand Germany, two thousand and six World Cup.
Speaker 2: It was the first World Cup I watched. I was like, this is awesome.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and we got worked.
Speaker 2: We did get worked.
Speaker 1: But I think there is a little bit of a initial bump that the sport receives every time there's a World Cup cycle, but it's never fully sustained. I mean, this sport has been a slow grow and a slow burn just to get to where it is. And if it's ever going to get to where it potentially could be. When you watch the way it's played internationally, it's still decades and decades away.
Speaker 4: It's not in our DNA man. Like I don't want to sound like a fatalist here, but if you don't like it, you don't love it, you don't like it, and you don't love it like you you're not going to tune in casually to watch a soccer game.
Speaker 2: You're just not.
Speaker 4: And that bleeds into all of the issues going around the men's national team right now, like you know, who decided to show up for the Gold Cup, who was told not to show up for the Gold Cup, Former players who are often the speakerphone now for you know, being the guys on the lawn shaking their fists in the air. Like I said, we've kind of arrived in a sense like that, it's it's kind of a bleep show. And that's how it is around most of the world because it's it's what matters to most people, Like they have so much pride in their national teams, and often national teams are very chaotic because personalities drive it all. I mean, Christiano Ronald was forty years old and he's still scoring in finals.
Speaker 2: But he's also a pain in the ass.
Speaker 4: But people know that, like when you're once in a generational player, you're gonna put up with a pain in the ass because that's just what you do. Yeah, I don't know where this team goes. Like That's why I say I think we have to recalibrate how we look at next Summer's World Cup as a as a whole. Because it's awesome that it's here. But I mean, we've talked about this before, man, Like we're talking about putting soccer in football stadiums, American football stadiums around the country, which generally doesn't make they're not built. It's gonna look different, it's gonna feel different. They're gonna be laying grass over artificial turf in some places. Now I'll be a little bit of elitist. In Mexico will look better because they're gonna be in stadiums that are designed to play and how soccer matches full time. Canada the same way. But this team was never going to be the team even before or this poor run of form with Pochettino that was going to be like, oh, these guys are gonna have what it takes to make the semis I just didn't believe it.
Speaker 2: Well, one of the points you made earlier, which is a really good one, because Pochettino said, we are going to be on the front foot, we are going to play with flair, we are going to attack.
Speaker 4: That's who he is, man, But that's not who we are. I mean, that's who we want to be, but we aren't there.
Speaker 1: But to your point earlier, whenever we've even had a modicum of success, it's like one Nill Landon scores a miracle goal at the death against Algeria or whatever. Right, We've never been the team that's like gonna lose five to four or win three to two. We're always the gritty, defensive club that relies on our keeper. Historically speaking, we have had pretty elite keepers. I'm not sure if that's the deal now this is a backwards US team, yeah, and relies on a back four and even a team that will defend as a group and then maybe catching on the counter and maybe get lucky. That's who we've always been. But Pochettino wants a different approach. I don't know that he has the personnel for that.
Speaker 4: He doesn't. Yeah, this is a backwards team. The strength in this team is in the attacking third, and the weakness in this team is in the defensive third ending goal, which is like you, I don't you probably couldn't say that about a US team going back all the way till the eighties, like honestly, like until really Casey Keller burst on the scene in the mid nineties. Like this is a very hard team to deconstruct from a like a tactical point of view because they don't do a lot well. It's odd though, because so many of these guys came up playing with each other, So like it's not like greg Or Pochettino were making these guys like solve ap calculus, Like it's not I think, like the nerds need to put their their drawing boards away and just be like, why can't these guys play well together in any sort of system, whether it's under greg Or Pochettino or BJ Callahan who was the interim I mean they played well under BJ, but like it was a very short stint. But like, why is it that this group that all accounts is the most talented, that grew up with each other for all intents and purposes. Why can't they consistently play well together when they do come together for these national team camps.
Speaker 1: So part of me believes, whether it was Bob Bradley or Jurgen or Greg or now Pochettino, you gotta find the guy you like and you gotta stick with them. I think. I mean that, that's my opinion. However, when you juxtapose that here to other places, other countries.
Speaker 2: That are really good change their managers. So every cycle, right if not.
Speaker 4: If yeah, they'll rip them, they'll take them. They'll rip the band aid right off if there's a bad run of form.
Speaker 1: So when it comes to how impatient we've been with coaches, is that your status quo or do you think we need to find the guy that we like to ride with them?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: I mean, like I would be surprised if Pochettino is the coach after this World Cup. I think he was brought in to try to take this group to new heights. Okay, and you're talking about a nation. You're talking about a national team coach coaching the national team level for the first time. He's been a club He's been a club manager forever. And when you're a club manager, you're around these guys Spence basically more than really any other professional sport in the world. These guys take a four week break in the summertime.
Speaker 2: That's it. That's it.
Speaker 4: Otherwise they're they're back training in August and they some of them play all the way through May or June. Yeah, So like I'm talking about like four to six weeks tops. So these coaches, like Pauch is used to having his finger tips on guys at his disposal, like whenever he wants. And now you're talking about a dude who has gotten a few camps together, hasn't had his best strikers have been hurt. Balaguan's been hurt, Pepi's been hurt. Uh, Pulisic has you know, getting getting knocks. Nobody knows what's gonna happen with Geo Rena. Again, it's not what people want to hear, but like I just think we have to try and recalibrate the expectations of this group going into next year. Regardless of where this was going to be held, if this was going to be held in Japan or South Africa or wherever in Germany, this group hasn't shown that they've been able to take in the next st I mean, I can't believe it's almost been four years since Guitar three and a half because they played in in in the winter time, but there hasn't been results. Nobody's really made that much of a jump. Christian's been really good at AC Milan, but like he's finally realizing the expectations that everybody put on him. But other than that, you're kind of like, who's who's going to step up and take a game by the scruff outside of Christian?
Speaker 2: And we don't really have any of those guys. So if we didn't have the auto qualification situation as a result of the World Cup being here, would we be in trouble?
Speaker 4: I don't think so, because this is I just have a hard time seeing that happening, but.
Speaker 2: It is. It is.
Speaker 4: We're at a time now where it's kind of like bleeper, get off the pot in terms of figuring out who's going to be in your starting eleven, who's going to be in your game day roster, how do you want to play, who are you going to play against? Like, you don't we won't know the World Cup drop for a few months now, but like man, I shudder at the idea of what would happen if the US lays another egg on home soil after Copa America, after your favorite tournament, Conka Caffe Nations League.
Speaker 2: That is my jam.
Speaker 4: Like, the only time this group has shown up weirdly is against Mexico in big tournaments in recent years, but against everybody else when the lights are the brightest, they kind of cower and it's really fascinating.
Speaker 1: So what is your opinion on uh Christian polistic h Tyler Adams.
Speaker 2: Was hurt right?
Speaker 1: Tyler played, Tyler played, Okay Weston, McKinney.
Speaker 4: Weston and Tim Ware with Juventus because they're at club where they're playing in this club world for the first time.
Speaker 1: Okay, And we had Donny on yesterday and you know, I can name like the top four or five dudes and weren't there. Donny gave me a list of like a eleven or twelve players that he thinks will be on the World Cup roster that are not on the Gold Cup roster, and he said probably seven starters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about this dynamic where the Gold Cup, historically speaking, has been an opportunity for some of the players that aren't in the first choice group to showcase their talents. We have examples here before Kyle and Nick were part of the legitimate rotation for a World Cup. They kind of made their name in the Gold Cup. Kyle scored a goal, Nick was one of the starting keepers, played well. Beltran was on a Gold Cup roster.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: So historically speaking, the Gold Cup is a place for lesser known players to showcase their abilities. Do you have a problem with these players tapping out based on the fact that this Goal Cup is one year away from the World Cup.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 4: I think I'm the rare voice or opinion that nobody really cares about outside of we care about you.
Speaker 2: We care You're right.
Speaker 4: That's one thing that can't be lost here is historically the Gold Cup was a place for people who needed to cut their teeth and impress them manager to try to get on the radar for the next big tournament the following summer or in the years to come. So Christian not playing have no problem with it. The guys at the Club World Cup have no problem with it. You know, Anthony Robinson, who is one of our best players, had to get knee surgery. Trying to think desk is coming back from an acl Like, honestly, I think people are just over compensating with their rationale, with their frustration of guys not being available or being there versus the current player pool that Poach has just not being good enough.
Speaker 1: And that to me was the main takeaway, Like if we look that bad without our top players, it is a commentary on we just don't.
Speaker 4: Have depth, don't have depth and don't know how to play. I mean, like if you, I don't know if you watched the Switzerland match, but like the first.
Speaker 2: I got home and turned it on, it was four nil.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean the first half was basically it was everybody on their own. Nobody knew how to press together, nobody knew how to together, nobody were staying in blocks. The lines were being broken. So I mean, like those goals that they were giving up, man, like that was like embarrassing. It was really really embarrassing. And like couple that with Matt Turner spilling one, and like there he already doesn't have a lot of you know, success in between the pipes in recent years, and you just wonder, like do these guys believe themselves? And I think that to me is one of the most you know interesting kind of underlying parts of this whole conversation is you're talking about a young generation who is easily the most talented and have the most success at the international club level. But the when, like I said, when the bright lights shine, they haven't been able to deliver. So like are is there is there a little bit of doubt in the minds of these guys, is their collective doubt? Like you just want to see some sort of change after like between World Cup cycles, and you just haven't it. Granted, I will say, I'll have to correct myself. The the acidhind decision to bring Greg Burhalter back after the last World Cup and then have that whole thing flame out was ridiculous. So there is a change in a sense. But like I said, the only player that really has burst onto the scene, so to speak, is a dude from here, Like it is Wild. That's not taking nothing away from Diego. Diego has proved that he should be in the World Cup roster next year. But like considering where a lot of these guys play and the amount of resources that we've you know, devoted to so many of these guys and the youth system here, like this golden generation nobody else is coming through the pipeline, Like if you if your top level guys are not there, then there needs to be some sort of reinforcements behind this quote unquote golden generation behind him.
Speaker 2: For sure.
Speaker 1: It's a great point because I can also remember when we brought RSL here in two thousand and four, the Commissioner Garber and Mark ab and others talking about how we are a generation away from really seeing our national team fly because of all of the resources that have been put in place to develop players who at the time are the players that we're seeing now.
Speaker 2: And to be fair, there have been some.
Speaker 1: Success stories like Christian and others, but I don't feel like we're any closer than we were twenty years ago to really having a legitimate shod of doing anything other than just getting out of the breath.
Speaker 4: And that's okay, And that's what I mean when I say like we have to just everyone needs to take a breather and understand where we sit in the world landscape.
Speaker 1: Well, Jurgen Klinsman himself was asked will the US ever win a World Cup? And he was like no, and he got a viscerally lost his job. He's not wrong I know, man, and that's okay. Yeah, there are listen, there are there are football. There are soccer countries in Europe that produce an insane amount of talented players that have trouble getting to the Euros right every four years because of how much talent they have to go up against. So the fact that we're in our geographical footprint, we have it. Okay, Canada's coming on. It's great for Conca cap It's good for this region. Mexico is starting to wake up a little, but the Central American teams are a little shaky compared to where they have been historically. But like, if we can get out of group stage and and have a puncher's chance and the puncher's chance in the round of sixteen every single Men's World Cup, I think that's a success. I think we're operating there. You have delusions of grandeur if you think that this country, even with the current playerpool it has right now, needs to be on the precipice of making a run to the you know, World Cup final.
Speaker 4: We just don't have the horses. And that's okay.
Speaker 2: You ever met Alexi Laals I have.
Speaker 4: And I've talked to Alexi multiple times he's always he's always been very good to me. He's always given me a lot of you know, interesting insight, especially back when I was on the RSL beat days. But hey man, everybody gets a check, all right.
Speaker 1: All right, before we catch a break, just give me a quick RSL thought. So, no Diego, no don Mark, Zuke, no Gozo. Your guy Johnny Russell in the starting eleven coming up against DC on Saturday. DC is coming off a game where they got smoke seven to one.
Speaker 2: Not great. I was at home too, it was at home.
Speaker 1: Uh not great, Bob, as the kids would say, I don't know who's going to be in the attack because they're Tyler Wolf.
Speaker 4: No love for Tyler Wolf. RSL is a developmental club spence.
Speaker 2: Not based off the interviews I've gone over the past few weeks. I mean, Peele's gonna be up top? Or what my guy, Big Willie he's coming.
Speaker 4: He's coming off a goal recently.
Speaker 2: Oh wait, Peel's not with them?
Speaker 4: Actually, oh is he not?
Speaker 2: So will be Big Willy goals up top and your guy Johnny Russell is starting.
Speaker 1: Diego is back in the good graces of Pablo. Can they win on Saturday at least Can they just get three points on Saturday?
Speaker 2: Probably not.
Speaker 4: They will need Diogo to put together one of his best, if not his best performance in an RSL kit. And uh they need to show some semblance of being able to have an idea in the attacking third and also not give up very stupid goals. That's asking a lot. It is this team right now?
Speaker 2: It is all right.
Speaker 1: We'll catch a break coming up next. Ck we'll break down house to the NCAA settlement. What's next? How will the funds be distributed? What does it mean for nil? So stay tuned for that. But before we catch a break, well, we welcome in Ryan from the disro Dishbros.
Speaker 2: Bottom line.
Speaker 1: You guys know the number dial eight oh one four two four dish and you will find a way to save a lot of money, right Ryan, what's going on buddy?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 6: And you know the offers right now are super good. Plus the internet options, guys, we've been killing it on internet. I think right now I will there's another phone number you can call where we can give you such a variety of internet providers.
Speaker 7: We have a half a dozen.
Speaker 6: In Salt Lake, more than that outside of this market. But if you want cable. You want fiber, you're looking for satellite internet. We've got that five G products and guys, it's cheap. It's not that expensive. Packages in the twenty dollar ra fifty to fifty five dollars a month. You're gonna be able to di dio stuff up with a fantastic service. Now, on the TV side, we've got the award winning Hopper with the Hopper Plus technology, biggest DVR out there, auto record your locals, auto hops, commercial breaks. It'll also get you full access to all the streaming that you want with one remote plus. Right now, you get the two year promotion with the price guarantee, which is gonna save you minimum thirty dollars a month over over other providers. But we'll give you three months free. Guys, you add this up for the next couple of years, you're talking a couple thousand, three thousand more dollars a month in your bank just by to pick up the phone. Call call us today, take advantage of deals. We'll throw in dinner at jcw's on top of everything. Don't wait, this promotion is going away soon, so call four two four dish eight oh one four two four dish.
Speaker 1: Ryan from the dish professionals more with ck livin Studio coming up on the other side right here on a Friday Drive on ESPN and seven hundred one hundred Chris Camaradi is live in studio for one more big segments. All right, man did little soccer? Last segment's move over to the space of college football. First of all, any exciting athletic teases for the upcoming season. I know you were back east for meetings anything you want.
Speaker 4: To know, Jack Meetings do have some some some bigger enterprise stories coming down the pipe. This summer and this fall. Will be on the road for some of the more interesting college football games from a culture perspective, and it'll be fun. So yeah, there there, there are. There are big ones, but nothing I can tease necessarily, But there will be stories that we will definitely be talking about on this radio show.
Speaker 1: Will you be covering Bill Belichick and his young girlfriend?
Speaker 2: I will not.
Speaker 4: We have a great North Carolina based writer named Brendan Marx who cover North Carolina and duke basketball, but with Bill being there, his job is changed.
Speaker 2: Kind of an odd story that people seem to be very obsessed with. I'm not one that clutches, pearls, over age, gaps and relationships and why do you think it's captured so many people's imaginations.
Speaker 4: Oh, it was all their fault. The CBS sent this. If they don't, if they don't make a stink about the Sunday Morning interview, I think I think that's it. Like you gave people a reason to think anything they want, basically, And and you're talking about like, dude, Sunday Morning, my parents watch CBS, and like you're not getting You're not It's a great I love it, but I'm just saying, like you're not dealing with like hard hitting, like you're nobody's been being grilled over this. Like Bill was toting a book. He wrote a book about his own life, and they're trying to control the narrative about what questions were pre you know, given the green light, give me break, dude. So after that happened, I think the gloves were off because people were already kind of fascinated. And now that he's at a public institution, like you can get a lot of stuff because you can Foy and grandmother stuff and you know guys like Brendon. I mentioned Matt, my colleague Matt Baker, who is a public records wizz. Like, we've broken a lot of stuff about Bill Belichick and his girlfriend and just how odd it is at the University of North Carolina because it's a public institution, And of all the things that I never thought we'd be talking about in twenty twenty five, it's Bill Belichick, who historically has always been a very guarded, curmudgeonly fellow, toting his own book, with his you know, with his girlfriend at his side, with his girlfriend supposedly having a lot to do behind the scenes in college football in twenty twenty five, I never would have thought. I mean, like, growing up, like you would watch Bill Belichick press conferences and you'd be like, what, what, Like, is this dude having a bad day? And now he's he has to kind of mean, he's out recruiting, he's doing all this stuff. He's chosen us a new lease on life.
Speaker 2: Let's just say yeah, no, for sure, for sure, all right, Chris.
Speaker 1: Last Friday, about ten minutes after we signed off air, I got the alart on my phone that the house of the NCAA settlement was actually finally pushed across the line.
Speaker 4: Friday News Dump, Friday News.
Speaker 2: Dump after the show.
Speaker 1: So twenty point five million dollars at the disposal aflect of athletic departments to now pay the young people to play sports and institutions I don't like the term student athlete. The general model seems to be and this is not every institution in P four. It will change based off the variants of what your unique situation is like. Utah does have a gymnastics program that brings a lot of revenue and eyes right, But the general model seems to be seventy five percent of the twenty point five mil will go to football. I think ten percent will go to men's basketball or no, fifteen percent will go to men's basketball, five percent goes to women's basketball, and five percent is left over for everybody else. Do you feel like that's kind of where most of the institutions will land.
Speaker 4: Yeah, based on my conversations with folks at the P four and the Group of five level, they've said, and this was before it got past they were waiting in the world of anywhere from fifty to seventy five going to football. And these are different institutions around the country that have different, you know, points of view, that have different powerhouse programs that aren't necessarily football. But it's going to be interesting to see which teams vacillate between you know, going all in on football, which most will do, but there will be lots of schools that don't have to because they know that in investing in I mean investing in men's basketball, women's basketball. There will be exceptions like you mentioned, like with Utah and the Red Rocks. I would imagine there will be others. I mean, Oklahoma softball is a powerhouse, Like, you're gonna have to, you know, pay these folks the Texas Tech picture that signed from Stanford and became the first female softball player to earn a million dollars in an IL like, you're going to have to figure out a way to market yourself and be tantalizing enough to student athletes. Even if we're talking beyond the revenue generating sports of football and men men's basketball.
Speaker 1: Do you think, and this is an interesting conversation because there are multiple layers here. You just can't debate that the football program is your cash cow. You cannot debate that football generates the most revenue. Next year will mark a decade between NC DOUBLEA appearances for Utah men's basketball, which is wild to think about. If you're a P four basketball program and you are not making the NCUBAA tournament, you are leaving a grip of cash on the table. So Mark has an interesting decision to make. Right, But, just theoretically speaking or philosophically speaking, should the money be allocated to your product that does give you the best return on investment? Or is there a case to be made that some of this money should probably go to sports that have not historically received the investment or attention they need. Because if you're a women's soccer player at the University of Utah men's baseball player and you see the final split and you go up to the dorm or whatever, and the football players are showing you their paycheck, and you're like, wait a second, it's this These things are more complex than meets the eye. So what are your thoughts on, just philosophically, how this revenue should be split.
Speaker 4: I'm glad you came to me because I know that you know that when it comes to investments, yes and markets.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm the guy. How is your portfolio these days?
Speaker 4: I would say strong to quite strong.
Speaker 1: It's Bolivian wormwood it took seventy two hours. I believe they call it a Hookah. I still say think it's it's Ben Stiller's best move.
Speaker 2: I know you disagree it's I still believe that.
Speaker 4: Well, it's just because it's a it's an a stagia thing. It's heavyweights for me, and it was a big show, a big show.
Speaker 2: Listen.
Speaker 4: You can look at it from a multitude of ways. You can look at it by investing in a historically downtrodden program that if it hits, we'll bring more money in if we're talking about Utah for example, or you can you can theoretically go fifty to fifty or or give more. Because if we're talking about Utah women's gymnastics, they are the exception. I don't think you have a lot of non revenue generating sports that are revenue generating sports like Utah gymnastics is around the country like it's it's hard to quantify how unique it is. They're selling that place out every single night. When was the last time you're waiting to drop and meet the parents y day by day? Oh lord? Three things? Lord, Like, when was the last time Utah men's basketball sold out the Huntsman Center. I mean, like like legit sold it out, like the Red Rocks are doing that. I know they don't have as many home meets as men's basketball has memes, but like.
Speaker 1: There have been some one offs here and there, but can see it. But honestly, I'm not even sure there's been that in a long time.
Speaker 4: So when it comes to investments, you have to you have to pick your pick your spots.
Speaker 2: And are you a podhead falker? Sorry, keep going, I'm listening.
Speaker 4: Oh man, I was thinking about the poem that he your name was Angela.
Speaker 2: You gave me milk like an unstoppable rebel force. Oh so good.
Speaker 4: The parallels between the House Settlement and Robert De Niro dialogue is not lost on me.
Speaker 2: Anyways.
Speaker 4: If we're talking about Utah specifically, Mark and his team have hard questions answered, because you can't leave a program that has made you money and has put butts in the seats at the altar, so to speak, in favor of the one that historically in the last ten years you mentioned it'll be ten years since they've made an NCAA tournament that hasn't really given you much from a revenue generating point of view. So it's it's tough man, it's this. This is where now that we know and eventually they'll tell us like, this is where everybody gets to figure out a way that you can accurately criticize or or applaud an athletic department for doing their jobs.
Speaker 1: The other element is what was Alex Jensen promised before he left a really good job to take this job. And you also do have to balance. You make a good point about like, well, look, if we're not making the NCAA tournament, do you guys deserve investment? Or if we could make the NCAA tournament consistently, that does provide a lot more revenue than the basketball program is brought in. Or do you bump that up a little bit to give the basketball team more support so they can actually start winning games and make and making the tournament?
Speaker 4: Are we talking honestly on the drive?
Speaker 2: We only talk on the drive?
Speaker 4: Do we know enough? Is there enough empirical data to say whether or not Utah is going to be a potential nc double A tournament team next year? I would say no.
Speaker 2: I would agree with you. I think that's a tough ask year one for al.
Speaker 4: Tough ask and again I would I would ask all of your listeners to not always drink the kool aid of the folks in this media market who are saying, you know these guys, watch out for these guys. My guy, who is also your guy, tweeted that there's at least going to be one pro player on this upcoming Utah men's basketball roster. Our guy.
Speaker 1: He also joined the show and said his sources indicate any direction as possible.
Speaker 4: Okay, okay at five okay.
Speaker 2: So yes, yeah, and who knows.
Speaker 4: Maybe he's right, and maybe he's right, But what I'm saying is that you have to have some sort of foundational data as Alex from Alex as a head coach before you can, in my opinion, go really all in.
Speaker 2: You're no, You're right.
Speaker 1: And I've said that from the start because I just, you know, I think Al's the right guy. I think it was the right hire. And so I am not going to be over the top about expectations for this roster year one. And if anybody out there is telling you they've been grinding tape on these new players, they're lying, we don't know what it's gonna.
Speaker 4: Be Delaware State, I don't I mean, let's be honest. If I think one dude came from like Cincinnati, I don't even know. I'm not schooled on where these guys came from, but they're not coming from. There's an Auburn guy that I think maybe didn't play a lot, and Auburn's been good.
Speaker 2: Well in that case, championship.
Speaker 4: Yeah, championship, but other than that, let's everyone take a chill pill.
Speaker 1: While we're in the space of taking a chill pill, I'm here Vegas over under. Utah football wins seven point five every single you guys at the Athletic two four seven, ESPN, everybody does the whole like, hey, way too early, big twelve look ahead. Utah is pretty Utah football is pretty squarely in the middle. They don't have the the expectations of winning the thing, at least from what I've seen. I think Phil Steele, your guy did pick Utah as one of the top three teams if I saw that correctly. So taking a chill pill, Utah football.
Speaker 4: Expected Devin damp Pier Heisman candidacy.
Speaker 2: I haven't seen it yet, but you know.
Speaker 4: I means, based on what I've been told by multiple people who watch practice secretly, he's going to be a Heisman Trophy candidate.
Speaker 2: I've been told to say I say that in jest, but I don't know if people really get it. Well a few KSL videos with it.
Speaker 4: Listen, man, again, beyond basketball, nobody knows what the hell this football team's going to look like offensively next year. So if we're taking chill pills, I implore you all to take a chill pill. Devin damp Pier's tape, his highlights that you watched on Twitter are awesome. I guarantee you didn't watch the twelve interceptions he threw last year. He threw he had like a fifty eight percent completion rate. You were probably looking at a lot of awesome plays that he made, but you probably weren't watching, you know, some air and throws that he had, which is fine. One thing we have to get out in the clear in this market is that just because you're not bending the knee, you're not You're not a villain, You're not a but you can be critical without being viewed as the villain.
Speaker 2: You're preaching to the choir, man, I know you are, but.
Speaker 4: I'm just saying, like we are, we are venturing into very dangerous territory here.
Speaker 2: But that's also but that's not just Utah.
Speaker 4: No, I know that. I'm just saying it's it's everywhere.
Speaker 2: It's our guys downtown Center.
Speaker 4: And it's the guys forty miles down south. I get that. It's everywhere, So it's not it's not specific to the guys off or car away. But will you ta be better next year?
Speaker 2: They will? I promise you.
Speaker 4: Are they going to change the world offensively? Probably not? Will they be better offensively? God, you have to hope. So because of how terrible they'd be worse, they'll be worse.
Speaker 2: They got a.
Speaker 4: Couple first round tackles on their roster, got some running backs you've really never heard of, got some receivers you absolutely have never heard of, and the defense should be good. Other than that, Vegas setting it at seven and a half makes sense.
Speaker 2: That feels right, That feels right, all right? The other element and you know, you know, actually, let me leave with this. Is there ever going to be an accurate way to really even the playing field in college football?
Speaker 1: I don't think so either. There will always be the car dealer in Tuscaloosa. That's fine, paying whatever it is, get over for it man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: But the reason I bring it up is there is a new College Sports Commission and the CEO is a guy named Brian Seely, who is a former Major League Baseball executive. See I think what a lot of people either don't know or for good is the NCAA was literally told two years ago you are no longer allowed to enforce anything which is a wild, wild format, and that's why we've been in this area of chaos. So at least there are some best laid plans in place with a new CEO of this enforcement organization called the College Sports Commission, and starting on June seventh, all of these young people who play sports for institutions who are benefiting off of NIL now have to report every NIL deal of more than six hundred dollars to the College Sports Commission. It's going to go through some derivative of an LBI software program in Deloitte who runs the NBA Draft lottery for all you Jazz fans that are.
Speaker 4: Mad, and runs a lot of stuff at a much higher correct. The stakes are much higher.
Speaker 1: They have a lot on their plate, or there's no doubt about that. So how do you think this process is going to work, and do you think it will corral a little bit some of the crazy spending on l And I don't know if it's.
Speaker 4: Going to corral the spending. I think it'll hold people more accountable, okay. And I would hope that this commission makes all of this stuff if it's a if it's a public institution, I would hope it'll be made public so people can understand because you're still at the end of the day, you're still asking people to donate, Like nil is not going away. No, like the twenty point five million is is for the benefit of the players and honestly for the benefit of the universities. But you're still going to talk about players who are getting third party deals, dealers with deals with dealerships in town, so on and so forth. So I think it will add if it's done the right way, it will show us the red tape basically that we've been missing for a very long time.
Speaker 1: So ultimately, Mark Carlin himself has said they will utilize every penny of the twenty point five million dollars. Brian Santiago, the new athletic director of Brigham Young, has not made that statement. It doesn't mean they're not going to do it. But the money stuff down there is just different.
Speaker 4: And I don't know if they need to say anything publicly because they're a private institution.
Speaker 2: So how do you think they'll handle it that?
Speaker 4: I don't know. I mean, if we're talking about recent history and how much money the basketball program has gotten, and if you're talking about historically the football program has carried the load there, so you would think that they would give most of it. In my opinion, you would think they would give most of it to football, knowing that your high profile donors are still probably going to be giving to Kevin Young and his staff to go out and pay players. But I don't know. The private school thing is going to be interesting, I should ask. I'll talk to some of my smart some of my smart colleagues that you should have on who know about all this public Happy to, happy to because it'll be interesting to see, like when this stuff gets made public, if private schools need to be involved in this and whatnot on the commission side of things.
Speaker 1: Well, and to your point about the basketball program, the money is already in the bank for this year and Jeff Goodman has reported that AJ is getting seven mil this new Rob right, kid apparently is three Richie is seven figures. If you just do some quick math, nil money for this year's BYU basketball program is in the area of thirteen to fifteen million dollars, right, But that's all nil. That's before these kids can get paid. So I wonder, if you're Brian Santiago and you know that the basketball team has already dialed in with their nil stuff, do you bump more funds to Klaudie and his team?
Speaker 2: Obviously more players.
Speaker 4: I would think, So you have to, don't you more players? More depth? I mean, basketball rosters are small man and like they're always going to be front loaded. You have to be able to disperse the correct amount of resources to a football team in order to make them good. Like I understand in the NFL, who gets paid the most quarterbacks one, But like, if you have a really good offensive tackle, you're gonna invest in them. If you have a really good defensive end Miles Garrett or Nick Bosa, you're gonna invest in them. And then there will be positions that maybe don't get that so much. Like you know, middle linebackers don't get paid the boatload of money that other positions do. And I don't know if if safeties are getting paid a lot of money. So because of the roster size and because the BYU men's basketball program is already in theoretically in a good space. From the nil component, I would think if you're Brian Santiago, you would say, Klaanie, here's a lot of money.
Speaker 1: I would hope so. And you know, they just had a really good year. The YA football is coming off a really good season. Do you think that when it Because your points about the payscale based off positions will be interesting to follow. I still believe and if you would have asked me three years ago, I would have told you that we were already in this space and we're not. And so I can't even put a timeframe on it. But based off of everything that still needs to be figured out, and the inevitability because money changes everything, it just does.
Speaker 2: I think anyone that lives.
Speaker 4: In everybody everything and everybody.
Speaker 1: Great, and I think anyone that has a little bit of lived experience in the world knows that, whether it's family, friends, business, whatever it is, when money gets involved, people change and people change their values.
Speaker 2: Their are jealousies, there's anger.
Speaker 1: It just is inevitable that the women's soccer team of Utah will find out what the starting quarterback is making from the school and say, wait a second, this doesn't feel fair. Inevitably, there has to be collective bargaining. I still believe that I agree, but I don't know when that's going to happen. I do think think we will. We will feel more momentum in that direction starting now now that payer the players are getting paid, now that people can see what the checks look.
Speaker 2: Like, now that they're being paid directly by those correct.
Speaker 1: Verses correct, and so disgruntled athletes will contact lawyers. A lot of them already have agents, and once those complaints start spilling in, I think everyone's gonna understand that the only way to really make this thing work is for allowing the players to unionize and therefore collectively bargained to come to some sort of agreement.
Speaker 4: And I wonder if and when we get to that point, are there going to be individual unions that are NC double A football unions, NC double A basketball unions? Or do they all come together? Do the probably close to millions, I don't know, Do all the Division one athletes across the landscape of this country come together and form a union, because if so, then you're talking about some heft.
Speaker 2: Yeah for sure.
Speaker 4: And now I think like a football union would have theft. But if you're talking about if you're talking about athletes who play in non revenue revenue generating sports, you would hope that they get to have a piece of the pie. So if there does come a point where there is collective bargaining, you'd have to believe that even the folks like the like the football players, like the basketball players, would would want to bring those folks.
Speaker 2: Along with them.
Speaker 1: Okay, final thing, and I'll set you loose on this as it pertains to the ongoing UH lawsuits that we see left and right. There was a lawsuit filed by a group of female athletes that say this violates Title nine. There are rumors of other lawsuits being filed, you know, labor law. This isn't fair. That isn't fair. Are we just in an area in collegian athletics now where it's time to accept that stuff like this will continue to go on and maybe every single year there's going to be another lawsuit file, there's going to be another appeal, and we're just gonna have to deal with this. Maybe in perpetuity. I mean, I don't know that it ever really ends.
Speaker 4: No, it will. It will not end until Sorry I'm contradicting myself. It will not end unless people finally get their stuff together and get their ducks in a row. And there is a model built that allows universities, coaches, players, agents, everybody to be in lockstep on how things are done. Until then, you're gonna have people filing these lawsuits saying that you know, I deserve this piece of the pie because X, Y and Z, and a lot of times they're right. So that's the reality we face.
Speaker 2: Who do you want the Jazz to draft in five?
Speaker 4: I've been told and everything's on the table. But if I'm going for do you think they go best player available at five?
Speaker 2: They do, okay, because they need everything.
Speaker 4: So since they need everything, I'm going to go with the dude from Baylor VJ.
Speaker 2: Is he going to be there? Maybe? Okay?
Speaker 4: Probably not okay. So then I'm gonna go with not the guy from Duke, not the guy from Duke, or the other.
Speaker 2: Guy from Con. Not the Con okay, and not the tall guy from Duke. He won't be there at five.
Speaker 4: No, the other tall guy.
Speaker 2: Oh, mala. Yeah, he might be there at five. I don't want him either. Okay, fair enough. Great to see you go. Enjoy your weekend, all right, my man.
Speaker 1: Wrapping it up, final segments of the day and of the week as we send you in your weekend. Happy Friday to you. Congratulations you made a weekend. Time take a big, old deep breath. Should be scorching hot weather, but nice to be outside and maybe get elevated. I want to say a special Happy Father's Day to everybody out there. Happy Father's Day weekend. Hopefully you're celebrating and whatever way you choose. The US Open will continue to roll along at oak Oakmont Country Club and Oakmont, Pennsylvania. Sam Burns is your leader through two rounds of three hundred par jj Spawd at two hundred par, victor Hobblin at one under par, and those are the only three offers under par. What a challenge in the world of professional golf. Reminder coming up on the other side, it's ESPN's coverage of Game four of the NBA Finals, featuring in the Oklahoma City Thunder and the Indiana Pacers, and then tomorrow on the station at six o'clock, Mountain time you'll hear game four of the game five, excuse me of the Stanley Cup Final between the Panthers and the Oilers. All right, Porter prediction time? Who wins tonight? Pacers, Oka See?
Speaker 2: Where are you leaning? Ah Tonight? You gotta lean Okac.
Speaker 3: You know you really would have put everything on them responding in Game three a little bit better, So you know, I think that that feeling kind of transfers into Game four. Backs up against the wall though, man, I mean, you go down three to one. We've talked about it all all day long. Lebron ain't walking through that door. So you know, if Oka Se number one doesn't come out with I think a little bit more urgency, but also Spence, it's forty eight minutes. If Indiana comes out and has a hot shooting night, it might not matter. That's the beauty about basketball.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: Once you're down to one, anything can really happen in a seven game series. And for that reason, I don't have a great read, but I do think tonight Oka See comes out and responds, and this series could go either way.
Speaker 1: Excited for tonight, I think it's gonna be a lot of fun. So we'll send it over to ESPN's coverage. As we say good night Porter, what comes our way On a Monday edition of the radio show.
Speaker 3: Monday edition of The Drive, we will catch up with Tom Happerstruck react to the weekend of NBA basketball the NBA Finals, looking ahead to what should be the final few days of the NBA Finals. Richard Smitty Smith stops by, as he does each and every Monday, We'll check in with one Bill Riley, the voice of the Utes. Will be within eighty days of kickoff for Utah football, of course house first NC double A reactions from him as well, and then hopefully hopefully react to some points from our guys in Claireton Colebal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll see RSL is a match tomorrow. They're badly in need of a result. Well, let me rephrase that they're badly in need of a win all three points, so we'll have to see how it goes.
Speaker 2: We'll say good night for a Friday special.
Speaker 1: Thank you today to Tony Jones, Dave mcmahamon, Paul Pugmyer and Chris Comaraddie for the sound you may have missed from the show today. Go to the website which is ESPN seven hundred sports dot com. Make sure to download our mobile app and take us on the go. ESPN seven hundred app available in the App Store the Google play Store for free. And then for what we do in our space every afternoon for four hours. Check out our podcast page. It is called The Drive with Spence. Check its that's available wherever you get your show. Subscribe, rate reviews and I sings in the comments. Give us all the stars. It helps reporter I'm spent saying tonight. Joy your weekend, everybody, be good yourself and begin to each other. We'll talk to on a Monday Drive. NBA Finals coverage comes your way, coming up next right here on ESPN seven hundred and ninety two NFM. We are proud to be part of Utah's ESPN Radio network.