Speaker 1: All right, so you've given me quite the reading list here, lots about cybersecurity education and research. Seems like you're interested in how we're you know, getting ready for these more and more complex cyber threats.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It's a big topic, it is, and for good reason. What I think is really interesting is that these sources all kind of point to like this future where cybersecurity knowledge is just like common, like everyone knows it and knowing how to use a smartphone.
Speaker 1: You know, so like everyone like from college freshmen to judges needs to know this stuff exactly.
Speaker 2: And it's not even just about like making sure everyone has the information, you know, like the research from that twenty twenty National Cyber Summit, for example, that one really emphasizes like we need to build a whole new kind of cybersecurity mindset. Oh yeah, I saw that one that's like proactive and adaptive really understands how these cyber threats work, you know, because you're always changing. Right.
Speaker 1: They use this term adversarial thinking.
Speaker 2: I thought that, Yeah, that's a good one.
Speaker 1: What does that actually mean?
Speaker 2: So it's basically about learning to think like the attacker, you know, like instead of just saying, okay, how do I defend this system. Yeah, you think, how would someone try to break into this? You know, like what's their motivation, what kind of tactics do they use, even like their psychology, you know.
Speaker 1: So it's almost like playing chess, but instead of just trying to checkmate your opponent, you're trying to anticipate their every move and build up your defenses.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, that's a great analogy. And like this shift in how we think it's starting to show up in how cybersecurity is being you know, taught and assessed. Like the researchers at the National Cyber Summit talk about something called the Cybersecurity Concept Inventory.
Speaker 1: I saw that mentioned in a couple of the articles, but I got it. I'm a little fuzzy on what it actually is.
Speaker 2: So it's like this tool and it's designed to like figure out if students really get those like core concepts of cybersecurity. And what's really cool about it is that it's not just about memorizing stuff. The searchers actually talk about how hard it was for them to like to come up with questions that really assess critical thinking and that adversarial thinking we were just talking about.
Speaker 1: So instead of just being like, what is fishing. It's more like, here's a situation, what are the red flags and how would you actually respond?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, exactly. Like they really wanted to get away from those like traditional multiple choice questions. Yeah, and build these scenarios that force students to analyze things right, evaluate apply their knowledge.
Speaker 1: That's cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And they even like they did a bunch of interviews with students, okay, just to make sure they were capturing the right ideas and the right challenges.
Speaker 1: It reminds me of those medical school exams where they give you a patient case and then you have to figure out what's wrong and how to treat them based on you know, yeah, the symptoms.
Speaker 2: That's a good comparison. Yeah, And speaking of different fields, it's really interesting to see how cybersecurity education is like expanding, you know, like beyond just the computer science departments, because there's this growing awareness that professionals and like all kinds of fields need this knowledge.
Speaker 1: I was really fascinated by that article about creating a digital forensics training like specifically for judges and prosecutors, you know. I feel like the legal system is always trying to catch up it is, yeah, with technology.
Speaker 2: Oh totally, And like that knowledge gap. It could have real consequences. You know, imagine a judge they're in a case with like digital evidence, Yeah, but they don't even understand like how it was collected or analyzed. It could lead to like rulings that are unfair or even wrong.
Speaker 1: You know, that's a really good point. I hadn't even thought about it that way.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And so like educating judges about things like digital forensics, it's really about making sure that those legal decisions are fair and informed in a world that's like only getting more digital. Absolutely, and this need for like broader cybersecurity education, it goes way beyond the court room. You know, another source you sent it talks about this modular lecture series video based and it was made to be accessible to like community college students, busy professionals, everyone.
Speaker 1: Okay, this is the one that really caught my eye. What makes this lecture series different?
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, it covers like a ton of stuff blockchain, cryptocurrencies, ethical hacking, even the dark web.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: And they designed it so that it's really flexible, like people could pick and choose the modules that like they're interested in or that relate to their careers.
Speaker 1: They choose your own adventure for cybersecurity education. That's really cool, and it's so.
Speaker 2: Different from those like typical boring lectures, right, Like these modules are supposed to be like engaging, kind of edgy even they talk about stuff that people are actually curious about. You know. It's like not just learning about firewalls. It's like getting a glimpse into like the world of crypto or like ethical hacking, like a little taste of cybersecurity. So people want to learn more. Yeah, that's a good way put it. It's like an appetizer, especially since there's just so much information out there. You know. It's about building like a foundation of knowledge and then letting people like pursue what they're actually into. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Right, So we've talked about a new cybersecurity mindset and making education more accessible. What other big trends are we seeing in these articles?
Speaker 2: I think one of the coolest things is that there's this real shift happening towards like hands on learning and gamification. Like the old way of doing things with lectures and textbooks, it's it's kind of fading away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that makes sense. You can only read so much about network security before your eyes like lays over. But if you're actually building a network and trying to defend it against simulated attacks. That's like a whole other level totally.
Speaker 2: And actually one of the articles you sent it dives into using serious games to teach devsekops. Okay, have you heard of that.
Speaker 1: I'm not super familiar with it. Can you break it down?
Speaker 2: Okay? So it stands for Development, Security and Operations and it's basically a set of practices that like build security into every part of making software. So instead of thinking about security like at the end, you know, as an afterthought, it's baked into the process from the very beginning.
Speaker 1: So it's like preventing those vulnerabilities instead of trying to fix them later exactly.
Speaker 2: And that's where these serious games come in. They create these like simulated worlds where students can like play around with devsekops principles, you know, they make decisions about security investments, and then they actually see what happens based on their choices.
Speaker 1: So it's kind of like a flight simulator for software developers. They can crash and burn in the virtual world without like you know, actually causing damage exactly.
Speaker 2: And one of the games in the research actually makes students think about like the costs and the risks of different security measures. Ok, Like they have to make tough choices balance the need for security with other things like budget, how long it takes to develop user experience.
Speaker 1: Wow, so they're really having to like think critically and strategically.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and I bet it's way more fun than just reading about it in the textbook.
Speaker 1: Right for sure. And I think another research team was talking about their work with something called a single board computing constellation, Oh, yes, which is basically it's a.
Speaker 2: Small cheap computers all network together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to give students hands on experience with like cybersecurity concepts, so they're not just reading about firewalls, they're actually configuring them and testing them out in a safe environment exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah. You can explore things like kernel modifications, network traffic analysis, even like ethical hacking techniques. But it's all in this like controlled setting.
Speaker 1: So it's like a cybersecurity playground where students can experiment and learn without worrying about breaking anything important.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good way to put it. And this like hands on approach it's really key to understanding like the technical side of cybersecurity. You know, it's one thing to read about how a network works, but it's totally different to build one, configure it, and then try to you know, hack into it.
Speaker 1: Right, because that's where the real learning happens, you know, when you run into those challenges and have to figure out how to solve them yourself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure. And that leads us to another big thing. These articles highlight the cutting edge research that's happening in the world of cybersecurity. It's not just about making education better. It's about like pushing the boundaries of what we know and coming up with new tech and strategies to fight these these threats that are always changing.
Speaker 1: I'm really interested in that research on securing all these new technologies, especially because the world is like becoming so interconnected so fast. What were some of the key areas that stood out to you, Well, the research.
Speaker 2: From the National Cyber Summit. They really dig deep into the whole thing about securing unmanned aerial vehicles. Yeah yeah, which is just a fancy way of saying drones.
Speaker 1: Drones.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I never really thought about the cybersecurity side of drones before, right, but it makes sense. They're like flying computers, you know, and if someone hacks into one, the results could be pretty bad. And the researchers they talk about some of the unique challenges with drones, like how much they rely on wireless communication and how they might be used in like really sensitive areas. You know, we're not just talking about some kid's toy drone like getting hacked and flying into a tree. We're talking about the potential for like espionage, sabotage, even physical harm.
Speaker 1: So like if a drone was carrying something sensitive and it was hijacked or its data was stolen, that could have serious consequences for like national security businesses, even individuals.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, totally. And to deal with those challenges, the researchers talk about things like the CNSSP twenty eight, which is basically a set of cybersecurity rules specifically for national security systems that are unmanned. Okay, so they're essentially trying to create a framework for like building and using secure drones for the government and the military.
Speaker 1: So it's kind of like building codes for houses, but for drones.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good way to think about it. And besides those rules, they're also looking at how to make civilian drones safer too, looking at things like you know, how to authenticate drones, protect the communication channels, even put in like self destruct features if a drone gets compromised.
Speaker 1: Self destruct. That sounds pretty intense, it.
Speaker 2: Is, but it just shows how serious this is. If a drone is compromised and there's no way to get it back, sometimes the best thing to do is make sure it doesn't end up in the wrong hands, right, or cause more problems.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's kind of a last resort to prevent a bigger disaster exactly.
Speaker 2: And this research on drone security is just one example of the cutting edge work being done in the field. Another area getting a lot of attention is security for like smart homes and the Internet of Things.
Speaker 1: It seems like everything in our homes is getting connected to the internet these days, smart refrigerators, smart thermostats, smart doorbells, even smart toothbrushes.
Speaker 2: I know, it's crazy.
Speaker 1: It's amazing, but also a little overwhelming from a security perspect you know, oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally. And the researchers they're finding some pretty scary vulnerabilities in these systems, Like they've found ways that hackers can use innocent looking devices like smart meters to gather information about our habits and what we do.
Speaker 1: Wait, so someone could hack into my smart meter and figure out when I'm home when I'm not even what appliances I'm using.
Speaker 2: It's possible, Yeah, and that data could be used for all sorts of things like targeted advertising, but also scarier things like identity theft or even blackmail.
Speaker 1: That's kind of unsettling to think about how our personal information can be taken and used and we don't even know about it.
Speaker 2: It is, and it really highlights how important it is to be aware of the risks right and take steps to protect our privacy.
Speaker 1: So what can we do do we have to get rid of all our smart devices and go back to the stone age.
Speaker 2: Not necessarily, there are things we can do to lessen the risks without going totally offline. We'll talk about some of those and explore other cool aspects of cybersecurity research when we come back for part two of this deep dive.
Speaker 1: Okay, so before the break, we were talking about how hackers can actually use smart devices to figure out our daily routines.
Speaker 2: Pretty creepy, right, Yeah, a little unsettling, but there's good news. Cybersecurity folks are coming up with ways to protect on privacy in this world where everything's connected.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: One of the articles you sent actually talks about a technique called iotl.
Speaker 1: IOTL that sounds like some kind of secret code. What is it exactly?
Speaker 2: Well, it stands for Mitigation of IoT Leakage, okay, and it's a pretty smart approach. Basically, what it does is like it introduces fake traffic into your home network.
Speaker 1: Fake traffic.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Think of it like a digital smoke screen. Oh okay, that hides what you're really doing. So attackers have a much harder time getting any useful information from your smart devices.
Speaker 1: So if a hacker is watching my network, they'll see all this fake activity mixed in with my real activity exactly, and it makes it hard to tell them apart.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like trying to find a needle in a haystack, but a haystack is constantly moving and changing.
Speaker 1: That's pretty clever. Are there other things we can do to protect ourselves without having to give up all our smart devices? Of course?
Speaker 2: Of course, for starters, be careful about what information you're giving your devices, Like think twice before letting an app use your location.
Speaker 1: Data, Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: Or access your contacts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a good point.
Speaker 2: It's so easy to just click allow without really thinking about it. Right, but those choices can really affect your privacy.
Speaker 1: Of course, you know you strong passwords and turn on to factor authentication.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's cybersecurity one on one, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's always good to be reminded. What about keeping our software updated? That could be such a pain.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know it's so tempting to ignore those notifications. I know, but guess those updates often have important security fixes. Do to address vulnerabilities, right exactly?
Speaker 1: Think if I'm like getting a flu shot for your devices, it helps protect you from the newest threats out there. Good enough, joy, What if you're not really sure how to secure your device? Are there like resources people can use?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, definitely. Organizations like o wast O, WASP, the Open Web Application Security Project, Okay, they have tons of information and guys on how to secure web applications, including ones used in a lot of smart home devices.
Speaker 1: So there's help out there if we need it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely. You don't have to be a cybersecurity whiz to protect yourself.
Speaker 1: That's good to know. So we've talked about a new mindset for cybersecurity, making education more accessible and even some ways to protect ourselves in this connected world. Anything else jumping out at you from these articles.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one of the things I'm most excited about is this move towards hands on learning and using games to teach these concepts, especially with things like DevSecOps, which we talked about before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think a lot of people learn best by doing so that approach makes a lot.
Speaker 2: Of sense, right, and the research shows how effective it can be. Like, there's this one game it's called Gaming DevSecOps, and it puts students in the role of software developers who have to like build a system as fast as they can, Okay, but at the same time they're facing all these security challenges.
Speaker 1: So it's not just about coding. It's about understanding how those coding decisions could impact security. Right.
Speaker 2: That's it. Students have to think strategically about security investments, figure out the costs and risks of different approaches, deal with unexpected stuff like cyber attacks. It makes them think on their feet.
Speaker 1: That's a lot different from just reading a textbook.
Speaker 2: Uh oh, yeah. It really brings the concepts to life, you know. The researchers found that students who played this game actually did way better on tests about dev secops. Oh wow, compared to students who learned the traditional way.
Speaker 1: Interesting. It seems like games could really change the game for cybersecurity education.
Speaker 2: I think so. And it's not just dev secops either. They're using games to teach all sorts of cybersecurity topics, from network security to incident response.
Speaker 1: Makes sense. Games are engaging, They pull you in and you can experiment without any real world consequences, you know, exactly.
Speaker 2: And this whole idea of hands on interactive learning it goes beyond games too. Some researchers are using things like single board computers and micro controllers to create cool learning experience.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I remember reading about that.
Speaker 2: It's like those old chemistry sets, but instead of mixing chemicals, students are building and hacking devices.
Speaker 1: So they're like becoming cybersecurity tinkerers exactly.
Speaker 2: And they're given the tools and knowledge to explore an experiment in a safe environment. That's how you build the next generation of cybersecurity pros.
Speaker 1: We've talked a lot about the educational side of things, but what about the research, like the actual work being done to secure all this new tech. We touched on drones, but where else are researchers focusing their energy.
Speaker 2: Well, one big area is communication security, especially for the Internet of things, right. Researchers are looking at all sorts of ways to protect the data that's flowing between all these devices and the networks they're.
Speaker 1: Connected to, right, because if that communication channel is compromised, then it's game over, exactly. And they're looking at everything from the traditional encryption to more advanced techniques like using multiple drones to create interference so attackers can't eavesdrop. They're also exploring ways to like authenticate devices so you can be sure you're actually talking to your smart thermostat, right and not some hackers' device exactly. Sounds like they're really pulling out all the stops.
Speaker 2: They are, and it's not just about protecting the devices themselves. Researchers are also figuring out how to secure the data those systems collect in store too.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's important. I mean, we've seen how valuable that data can be and how it can be used in good and bad ways exactly.
Speaker 2: So they're exploring things like data encryption, access controls, even ways to securely delete data. The goal is to make sure that even if a hacker gets their hands on your data. It's either completely useless or way too hard to use.
Speaker 1: So even if someone gets into my smart home system, they won't be able to access my info or mess with my devices.
Speaker 2: That's the idea. Yeah, And even if they can get to the data, they might not even know if it's real. Some researchers are working on ways to sneak fake data into these systems. Oh wow, just to mess with the attackers.
Speaker 1: It's like a digital game of cat and mouse, with researchers always trying to stay one step ahead.
Speaker 2: That's a great way to put it. Yeah, cybersecurity is a field that's constantly changing. As new technology comes out and new threats pop up, the researchers have to keep adapting and coming up with new strategies to fight back.
Speaker 1: Sounds like it takes a certain kind of person to work in cybersecurity. You got to be able to think like an attacker, predict their moves, and then come up with creative ways to outsmart them.
Speaker 2: It does take a special set of skills and a certain way of thinking. But the cool thing about cybersecurity is that it's not just about technical stuff. It's also about psychology, human behavior, even economics.
Speaker 1: Really. Yeah, So it's not just about building unbreakable systems, it's about understanding the people who are trying to break in exactly.
Speaker 2: Cybersecurity is a field where you got to know a lot of different things. Yea, not just tech. It's about people and how they use tech. That's what makes it so challenging and so rewarding.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we've talked about education, the research, even ways to protect ourselves, But what about the people doing these attacks? Who are these hackers and what do they want?
Speaker 2: That's a tough question and the answer kind of depends on the attack. Some hackers are after money, they want to steal data or cash, you know. Others have political or ideological reasons. They want to cause trouble for organizations or governments they don't like.
Speaker 1: So there's like a whole range of bad guys from like small time thieves to organized crime to like state sponsored actors.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good way to think about it. And the attacks themselves, they can range from simple things like phishing scams to super complicated multi stage operations, custom malware, tons of planning.
Speaker 1: That's a little scary to think about how sophisticated some of these attacks are getting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not just teenagers in their basements anymore, right, and the targets are changing too. We're seeing attacks on importan and infrastructure, banks, governments, even individuals.
Speaker 1: So it's not just about protecting our computers and data anymore. It's about protecting our way of life exactly.
Speaker 2: Cybersecurity isn't just a technical issue anymore. It affects all of society definitely.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about some real world examples of cyber attacks from these articles, cases that really show the scale and sophistication of the threats were up against. What's the first one that comes to mind.
Speaker 2: Well, one of the biggest ones was the Bangladesh bank heist.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I remember that. That was back in twenty sixteen, right, Yeah. Hackers got away with millions of dollars by taking advantage of weaknesses in the Swift network. Yeah, that's the global financial messaging system, right, yep.
Speaker 2: It was a crazy sophisticated attack. They combined technical skills, social engineering, and they even understood how the bank worked internally. They got into the bank system, installed malware, and then sent fake messages through Swift to transfer money to their own accounts.
Speaker 1: So they didn't just break into one system. They comprom multiple systems and got them to do what they wanted.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was like a perfectly planned digital heist exactly.
Speaker 1: What's interesting is how they combine technical skills with understanding how people behave. You know, they exploited weaknesses and the bank's security procedures and even tricked employees into helping them. Yeah, it just shows that even the most secure systems are vulnerable if the people using them aren't careful.
Speaker 2: That's so true. The investigation is still going on, but they've figured out a lot about how it happened. They followed the money, identified some of the people involved, and even found evidence that someone who worked at the bank might have helped them.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's wild.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it really shows how cybersecurity isn't just about technology. It's also about people, the processes, and the whole culture of security within organizations.
Speaker 1: So it's not just about stopping attacks, it's about finding them early and reacting quickly to limit the damage.
Speaker 2: Right. And that brings us to another interesting case, a bunch of attacks on Brazilian banks. These show how important and it is to be on guard and take proactive security measures.
Speaker 1: I read about those they were different from the Bangladesh Bank thing because they didn't use brute force hacking or malware. They exploited vulnerabilities in the domain name system, the internet's phone book.
Speaker 2: Basically exactly, they took control of the bank's domain registrations and changed the DNS records that they pointed to their own servers. So when customers tried to go to the bank's website, they were redirected to fake websites that looked exactly like the real thing.
Speaker 1: So the customers thought they were logging in, but they were actually giving their info to the attackers.
Speaker 2: Yep. And it gets worse. They even got valid HTTPS certificates for those fake sites, so the user's browsers showed the green lock, you know, like it was secure seeky. It is, And it shows how important it is for people to be careful about where they enter their personal information online. Even if a website looks real and has that security certificate, it could still be a.
Speaker 1: Trap, So we need to be really careful. And it also shows how important and it is to educate users right oh.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, people need to understand the basics of how the Internet works, how to spot phishing scams, how to check if a website is legit.
Speaker 1: Because a lot of times the weakest link.
Speaker 2: Is us exactly. So it's crucial to invest in security awareness training and empower users to take charge of their own safety online.
Speaker 1: So we've seen how hackers can target banks, individuals, even critical infrastructure. What are we doing to fight back? Are law enforcement and cybersecurity professionals keeping up with all these evolving threats.
Speaker 2: It's a tough battle, but there are some good things happening. We read about a group of researchers who are developing a system called secure Swift okay, and it's designed to improve the security of the Swift network by adding another layer of authentication and monitoring. They want to use digital signatures and machine learning to spot and stop fraudulent messages.
Speaker 1: So it's like giving Swift a digital bodyguard exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you make it way harder to pull off another Bangladesh bang heist. And this is just one example of the innovative solutions being developed to fight cybercrime. We're also seeing progress in things like threat intelligence sharing, where companies work together and share information about the latest threats and vulnerability.
Speaker 1: Oh that makes sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if we can share information about the bad guys and what they're doing. We can all better protect ourselves right and law enforcement is stepping up too. They're working with cybersecurity experts to track down hackers, stop their operations, and bring them to justice. We're seeing more international cooperation, which is important because cybercrime crosses borders all the time.
Speaker 1: It's good to know that someone's out there fighting the good fight.
Speaker 2: It is, yeah, and it's important to remember that we all have a role to play in cybersecurity. By being aware of the risks, taking those precautions, and supporting law enforcement and those cybersecurity professionals, we can make the digital world safer for everyone.
Speaker 1: Well said, We've covered a lot in this deep dive, from the importance of education and training to the research happening right now to secure our digital world. But clearly this is an ongoing challenge and we need to keep adapting as the threats change.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, cybersecurity isn't a destination, it's a journey.
Speaker 1: Well, that's a good way to put it. It feels like we've only just scratched the surface we.
Speaker 2: Have, but I think we've laid a good foundation. It's clear that cybersecurity isn't just some technical problem. It touches every part of our lives, how we bank, shop, communicate, even how we control our homes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a part of everything, right, and.
Speaker 2: That's why we need to think about the future of cybersecurity. What can we do to make the digital world safer and more secure for us and for future generations.
Speaker 1: That's the big question, isn't it. Where do we go from here?
Speaker 2: Well, one thing that's clear from all this research is that there's no easy answer, no single technology or strategy that's going to solve everything.
Speaker 1: It's going to take a bunch of different approaches, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot of collaboration between governments, companies, schools, and regular people. Everyone has a part to play, and.
Speaker 1: We need to be thinking long term.
Speaker 2: Oh for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: We need to invest in research and development, strengthen our defenses, and most importantly, educate the next generation of cybersecurity folks.
Speaker 1: Speaking of education, we've seen some really cool approaches in these articles, games, hands on labs, even cybersecurity training for judges. What other trends are you noticing in this area?
Speaker 2: One promising one is this move towards what they call competency based education. Okay, I means focusing on what students can actually do, not just what they know.
Speaker 1: So it's about being able to use that knowledge in the real world, not just passing tests exactly.
Speaker 2: Designing courses that match industry standards, giving students a chance to get real world experience through internships and stuff like that makes sense. We need to make sure cybersecurity grads are ready to work and have the skills they need to succeed.
Speaker 1: And it's not just technical skills, right right.
Speaker 2: We also need to help them develop those soft skills like communication, problem solving, working in teams because in cybersecurity you rarely work alone.
Speaker 1: It's a team effort for sure.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely, And that brings us to another interesting trend. There's a growing focus on collaboration between different fields. Oh yeah, so cybersecurity isn't stuck in the computer science department anymore. It's branching out. Okay, We're seeing it integrated into law, business, healthcare, even the humanities. Wow, which makes sense. As cybersecurity becomes more and more part of everything, we need people with different backgrounds and skills to tackle these challenges. It's about breaking down those old walls and bringing people together from different fields to come up with creative solutions.
Speaker 1: It's like that's saying two heads are better than one, but in this case, it's more like a dozen heads with different expertise are better than one. Uh huh. That's a great way to put it. And in the end, it all comes back to having a cybersecurity mindset. It's not just about having the skills. It's about knowing the risks, thinking critically, and being proactive about security.
Speaker 2: So making cybersecurity to be a part of everyday life, like wearing a seatbelt or locking your doors.
Speaker 1: And that's something everyone can do, no matter how tech savvy they are.
Speaker 2: So before we wrap up this deep dive, any practical tips for our listeners on how to improve their own cybersecurity. Well.
Speaker 1: First off, be aware of the risks, keep up with the latest threats, scams, and vulnerabilities. There's tons of information online, government websites, security blogs, all sorts of stuff.
Speaker 2: Right, knowledge is power.
Speaker 1: It is, and be careful about what you share online. Use strong passwords, turn on two factor authentication, watch out for phishing emails and shady links, keep your software updated and back up your important files regularly.
Speaker 2: It sounds like common sense, but I know it's easy to forget, especially when you're busy, Oh for sure.
Speaker 1: And if you're ever not sure about something, ask for help, your it support, cybersecurity experts, even the police, they can help.
Speaker 2: And don't be afraid to report anything suspicious.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you see something, say something right exactly.
Speaker 2: We all have to look out for each other in this digital world.
Speaker 1: So it sounds like we all have a part to play in making a safer, more secure digital world.
Speaker 2: We do, and the good news is that it's not as hard as you might think. By taking simple steps, staying informed, and working together, we can actually make a difference.
Speaker 1: This deep dive has been really eye opening. Any less thoughts, just.
Speaker 2: This, The future of cybersecurity is in our hands. By investing in education, making security part of our culture, and working together, we can build a digital world where everyone can thrive.
Speaker 1: Well said, Thanks for joining us on this deep dive into cybersecurity, education and research. Until next time, stay safe and keep learning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it really does feel like we've only just scratched the surface of this whole topic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we have, but I think we've got like a good starting point.
Speaker 2: You know, it's pretty clear that cybersecurity it's not just a tech issue. It affects everything we do, how we bank, how we shop, how we communicate, even how we you know, manage our homes.
Speaker 1: It's like woven into the fabric of society.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and that's why it's so important to think about like the future of cybersecurity. What can we actually do to make the digital world safer, more secure for ourselves and you know, for generations to come.
Speaker 1: Right, that's the big question, Right, where do we go from here?
Speaker 2: Well, one thing is for sure from all these articles, there's no magic solution. Yeah, no single technology or strategy that's going to solve all our cybersecurity problems.
Speaker 1: So it's going to take a multifaceted approach exactly.
Speaker 2: We need governments, companies, schools, and individuals all working together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everybody has a part to play.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we've got to be thinking long term invest in research, strengthen our defenses, and maybe most importantly, educate that next generation of cybersecurity pros.
Speaker 1: You know, speaking of education, we've seen some really creative approaches in these sources, games, hands on labs, even cybersecurity training for judges. What other trends are you seeing pop up in cybersecurity education?
Speaker 2: Well, one that's really promising is this idea of competency based education.
Speaker 1: Competency based Okay.
Speaker 2: It's all about focusing on what students can actually do, not just what they memorize, right, So it's not about passing a test, it's about using that knowledge in real world situations.
Speaker 1: Right, being able to actually apply it exactly.
Speaker 2: So building curriculums that match what the industry needs, you know, getting those certifications, and making sure students get practical experience through internships, apprenticeships, stuff like that.
Speaker 1: So basically making sure those cybersecurity grads are ready to go.
Speaker 2: Yep, prepared to work and with the skills they need to succeed.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, And I imagine it's not just technical skills, no, not at all. Right, the soft skills, communication, problem solving, teamwork, all that stuff is important too.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, those are key. Cybersecurity is rarely a one person.
Speaker 1: Job, right, It's definitely a team effort.
Speaker 2: Exactly, which brings us to another trend. I'm seeing more and more emphasis on collaboration between different feeds.
Speaker 1: So cybersecurity isn't just a computer science thing anymore. It's spreading out into other areas.
Speaker 2: Yep, we're seeing cybersecurity becoming part of law, business, healthcare, even the humanities. Wow.
Speaker 1: So as cybersecurity becomes more important in every part of life, we need people with lots of different perspectives and skills exactly.
Speaker 2: It's about breaking down those traditional walls and bringing people together from all kinds of backgrounds to find solutions.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It's like instead of just two heads being better than one, it's like a dozen heads with different specialties exactly.
Speaker 2: And you know, ultimately it all goes back to that cybersecurity mindset we were talking about before. It's not just about technical know how. It's about being aware of those risks, thinking critically and being proactive.
Speaker 1: Right, So making cybersecurity just a normal part of life, like you know, buckling your seatbelt yep, or locking your.
Speaker 2: Door exactly, and that's something everyone can do, no matter how tech savvy they are.
Speaker 1: So, as we wrap up this deep dive, any parting advice for our listener on how to stay safe online?
Speaker 2: Well, the first thing is just being aware, stay up to date on the latest scams, threats and vulnerabilities. There are tons of resources out there, yeah, government websites, security blogs, all sorts of things.
Speaker 1: Knowledge is power, it is.
Speaker 2: And be careful about what information you share online and who you share it with. You know, use strong passwords, turn on that two factor authentication, watch out for those phishing emails and those links that look suspicious, keep your software updated, back up your important data. Right you know it sounds like common sense, but I know it's easy to get complacent, especially when we're busy. Absolutely, and if you're ever unsure about something, don't be afraid to ask for help, right it. Support security professionals, even law enforcement, they're there to help. Yeah, if you see something fishy, report it.
Speaker 1: If you see something, say something exactly.
Speaker 2: We got to look out for each other online.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, so we all have a part to play in making the digital world a safer place.
Speaker 2: We do, and the good news is it's not as overwhelming as it might seem. By taking those small steps, staying informed, and working together, we can make a real difference.
Speaker 1: This has been a really fascinating deep dive. Any final thoughts you want to leave us with?
Speaker 2: Just this, The future of cybersecurity is up to us. By investing in education, making security part of our culture, and collaborating, we can build a digital world where everyone can thrive.
Speaker 1: Well said, Thanks for joining us on this deep dive into the world of cybersecurity, education and research. Until next time, stay safe out there and keep learning.