Speaker 1: Hello everyone.
Speaker 2: My name is Frieda Vaizel and I'm a New York City, Brooklyn based Jewish YouTuber with an interest in all things Jewish, subcultures, religion, New York City, and human interest stories.
Speaker 1: I'm sure many of you.
Speaker 2: Have seen some of the ways that anti Semitism is on the rise recently. For instance, there's been a number of YouTube videos that have gotten millions of views, and they depicted the Orthodox Jewish community with subtle and not so subtle anti Smitic overtones. Jews were depicted as at once controlling the world but also being so impoverished that they're destroying America. You all know I think, or many of you know what I'm talking about. I want to have a more nuanced conversation about what anti Semitism is because I think there's anti Semitism and there's criticism, and it's important to differentiate and understand the two. Today, I'll be speaking about historical and contemporary anti semitism with Duran Schaffrier from The Easy Way. The Easy Way is an English language YouTube channel that makes complex philosophy and geo politic accessible, with a focus on Israel, moral theory, and cultural device. It features deep dive analysis and interviews aimed at fostering nuance understanding. Obviously, this is my kind of thing, and so I look forward to this conversation. Before we begin, I want to say I'm trying really hard to get to five hundred channel members because that will give me a little bit of relief from worrying about the algorithm. Right now, we're at a little bit under four hundred. If you're able to be a channel member, I thank you so much for your support and Doran or is it Duran? I'm not sure how to pronounce your name. Thank you for being here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, actually both both attempts I would classify as correct in English. So thank you so much for inviting me. It's a great honor for me to be here.
Speaker 2: Well, it's quit pro quote because I was one your thing, which was my great pleasure and honor.
Speaker 3: Well about a time, I guess right, it's been a while, it's been a year.
Speaker 1: It's been a year.
Speaker 2: Let's begin and by just asking the question, how would you define what anti Semitism is?
Speaker 3: Here's the thing, Frida, I really can't, and I want to tell you why I can't. So here's the thing. When we think about anti semitism. Especially when the average American thinks about anti semitism, he thinks about the Holocaust. Right, this is how we are conditioned to think about this. So the anti Semitism of the Holocaust is a very specific kind of antisemitism. And also the term has been coined somewhere around that time, right, a few decades earlier. So it's a racial anti semitism. Right, It's a racial thing against Jews. It's viewing the certain group, the Jews, in this instance through the lens of what is contemporary and at the time, right, people were thinking in racial terms, and so anti semitism was a racial term. And so people today might believe that Jews control the White House, the Jews control banking, that Jews get special loans. All they have to do is go to the bank and whisper to the Jewish tailor. Right, So this is what people think, but they're not racists. Right, you can think these things without being racist. Well, you don't have to be racist to believe that there is a group or Okay, I'll give you an example. Think about the people who are very critical and fearful of Islam. You could be critical and fearful of Islam without being a racist. Right, you just conceive this ideology or religion or however you want to decide it. You have a certain conception of it in your head, and that conception is what you are obsessive towards or criticizing, or you know, you might think that it's not just to criticize Islam, and then you would say obsessive, or you might think it is just and then you would say rational. But whatever your stance is, you could concede that there is no need for racism here.
Speaker 2: Okay, So let's define racism here for a second, because I think you're not.
Speaker 1: Using racism in the general sense.
Speaker 2: We use it in popular vernacular, which is just like, actually, if you're in an islamophobe to use a term that I don't know that it has any valuable meaning, then we think that's racist.
Speaker 3: Okay, So let's define racism in the context of antisemitism. In the years in which antisemitism rose, racism was a scientific worldview. It was a descriptive worldview of how human societies organize and how human society is run. So when I say racist in the context of anti semitism, what I mean is that you truly believe that there are certain genetic inherent characteristics in a Jew that make him more prone to have certain maybe undesirable behaviors or undesirable physical traits, or you know, even if you were to go to modern times. There's even a pretty popular modern author I forgot his name, but he essentially reintroduced racism, anti Semitic racism. I'll give you an example. His main claim, and it's very popular in for neo Nazi circles, which there are not so few of. But he would say that there has actually been evolutionary selective pressure on Jews to be manipulative and go into banking and stuff like that. I'll try to explain it. For example, he would say that because you were always a minority and you were always persecuted, then you had to develop certain characteristics of being able to be very brutal and very scheming and very controlling, and over time, because you have bred within this population, it has become an inherent trait of the Jew right. So this is racist anti semitism. Islamophobia does not fit.
Speaker 1: That I see.
Speaker 2: So when you speak of racism, you're talking about a genetic predisposition of a specific population to certain negative stereotypes as a prejudice. So if I think all people of this and this culture are genetically predisposed to, let's say, be scheming liars, that's a racist prejudice.
Speaker 1: So exactly a genetic component.
Speaker 3: It's scientific racism. That's what it started out as. Okay, And you know they had this whole thing about well, we can measure that by the skull, right, all the famous spiel. So this is how it started. Today you can hold all these beliefs without being racist. And thus, because we tend to identify anti semitism with racism, that person would say, I'm not an anti Semite. I simply observe certain things. Right, But if we really yeah, but if we really think about it, this racial antisemitism was a relatively if we think about the history of the Jewish people, it was a relatively brief period of expression of anti jew sentiment. What was it like one hundred years, one hundred something years, right, this is but jew hatred existed before that, and it wasn't from scientific racism. Jew hatred exists today, it's not from scientific racism. So I ask you, I don't know what anti semitism is, does historical hatred of Jews before scientific racism also qualify as anti Semitism. I don't know. You tell me, does hatred of Jews to that? Well, I don't want to. I don't even want to say hatred because it doesn't necessarily have to be hatred. If you maybe you believe the Jews control the White House and the Finance, and you don't hate them, you just kind of you think to yourself, well, I respect them, but I want to counter that. That's, for example, is what Nick Fointes does and says. He doesn't say I hate the Jews. He says this is reality. He describes reality as he thinks it is, and he just wants to change that situation. Is he an anti Semite? Well not according to the to the scientific racism definition, right, So we need to define I don't know if we even need to define anti Semitis. We can walk through it because Jews, look, Jews have always been. Let's try to take some of the anti Semitic thinking that we see today and see where it where it fits them, Nazi, classist, classic antisemitic thinking, and where it doesn't fit. Right, So I've shown that it doesn't fit because it's not racist. It is sometimes racist, but mostly it's not racist. It's not a very prominent idea. Would you agree on that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, I hear, yeah, okay.
Speaker 3: But here's where it's very similar. Here's the thing. Jews are a people, right, and by them being a people, you might think to yourself as an odd Jew, or even as a Jew, you might think to yourself, well, because they're a people, they will always have dual loyalty, and I can never be sure where their loyalty lies. And they have a point to be honest. I mean you're speaking to me right now? What connects us?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay. So this is what Hitler would have called the international jew or international jewelry, right, So you can have these believes without being a racist. Hitler thought that there was an underlying racist explanation, a racial explanation to this phenomenon. But today, you know, people believe that it's quite widespread actually, right, Think about how many Jewish influential people are essentially being blamed for having their loyalty to Israel and not to the United States. Why, because they're a Jew, and as a Jew, they belong to a people, and that people has a nation state, and thus you are not loyal. This is also the thinking of the Nazis. This is what the Nazis thought as well. And also this is what the Russian Tsar thought, you know, even back before that. So here we have an example. There is also classical, shall we say, Christian anti semitism, which I don't know if we should even define as anti semitism, but because you know, for the sake of discussion, just call everything every anti Jewish sentiment, Let's just call it anti Semitism, okay. So the Christian anti Semitism would be Jews or christ killers, right, Jews did not accept God when he revealed himself and all that. Now this is a bit more complicated because you can think about it. For example, if I think back to the Black Death, right, the Black Death was like six hundred years before scientific racial anti semitism. Jews were still blamed, right, they have this secret kabbal I don't know. They poison the wells. I don't know what they're doing. It was before the Protestant Reformation, by the way, and the Catholic Church was officially against blaming the Jews. But you know, the mind does one thing, and the hands do another thing. So does this count as anti Semitism? There are many It's okay, So the Jews are the bankers and the Jews are the other and the Jews are not one of us obviously, right, And there's classical Muslim anti semitism, you might even say, but it expresses in a different way because for the Muslims, the Jews have rejected both prophets. They wouldn't say that we killed God a because they do not believe Jesus was God, and b because they do not believe Jesus was killed. But they do have in their holy book, in the Quran, they do have prescriptions of what do you do with the Jews? Right, So right off the bat I can tell you that I believe it is in the first or the second Sira. Jews are going to Hell. Okay, Christians as well, but they're going to hell. Why because they do not accept the prophet, of course, the prophet of God, Muhammad, the last prophet. And you have a very specific prescription of how you deal with the Jews. You make them, you subjugate them, and you make them pay the jisia, which is like a special tax that you pay if you're a Jew or a Christian living under Muslim land according to Muslim law. Now, there have been periods in which this was a pretty good life for a Jew compared to what was happening in Christian Europe. But there are also periods where this was not good at all for the Jews. Right, So I guess it does this count as anti Semitism? Does the belief that if you have a Jew living under your rule, he has to submit and pay a certain tax, a special a Jew tax. Is this anti Semitism? You see, It's more complex than it seems. And I can think of another example after the right the Spanish Inquisition, for example, when it happened in Spain and in Portugal, something interesting has been going on, and they actually passed laws that say, okay, that's say that there is some benefit to blood, like a non Jew can't marry a Jew, even if the Jew converted into Christianity because they have like a bad blood. I think the name of the law was something about blood, the blood laws. Now you could say, okay, is it racist? You might be tempted to say yes, But then we have to remember no, back then they were not thinking in terms of race, right, They were thinking in terms of the salvation of your soul, if we are to put ourselves in the heads of the inquisition, and thus what I'm afraid of as an inquisitor, what I'm afraid of is that if a Catholic Mary is a Jew who converted, well, how do I know that this Jew really converted? Maybe he still practices his evil secret Jewish you know, rituals, and he is now know damning his babies or damning his wife to damnation because they are not accepting the correct faith. So does this count as anti Semitism or is it just a concern for the eternal soul of the of the Portuguese?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I hear what you're saying.
Speaker 2: For instance, I've spoken several people who are Jehovah's witnesses, and the Jehovah's Witnesses are religious subgroup that believes very strongly than anyone who doesn't accept their particular beliefs is going to be doomed to some kind of like there's going to be an end times I believe, I don't remember exactly.
Speaker 1: But what's interesting.
Speaker 2: Is that they have a very strong sense of obligation to inform others and recruit others to ensure that they don't end up damned, which we're allowed to say the word damned. Right. People are going to leave comments about this, but anyway, But in this case, it's like in the literal sense, we're not using it in a colloquial term. Literally, a person will be subjugated to hell if they don't follow the path of Jehovah's witness. So if someone believes that a different faith will cause eternal damnation to those of the different faith, is that a racism or is that a prejudice or is that just.
Speaker 1: A faith that someone has.
Speaker 2: I think pretty much all faiths, or most faiths, especially not modern faiths, believe that there's one path and all other paths lead to some kind of hell or not the right path, right, So I'm just what I'm saying is, Yeah, I'm just saying what you are saying makes sense to me. To me, it is not it is not racist, or it is not a prejudice. Person say to believe my faith is the right faith and your faith leads down the wrong path.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you could say the same as well. If I were an Islamist, then maybe thinking of a plan to I don't know, lead to the downfall of America within the next hundred years. Could you really blame me? I really think that this is what is best for America and best for the world. Right, So could you blame me? It's my faith?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the line. That's the question.
Speaker 2: You have to be able to coexist with other people who have the same singular I am right, you are wrong, and to allow for these different I am right, you are wrongs to exist without pinging on each other's fully, so you're.
Speaker 3: It's very American of you to say, as someone who centers is thinking mainly on the Middle East, my answer to that would be different. My answer for that would be you have to make sure that you're strong enough and then live and let live, because if you're not going to be strong enough, you might let live, but you will not live.
Speaker 2: I see, I see, yeah, I mean I don't know.
Speaker 1: When you say the Middle East you mean Israel.
Speaker 3: Per se well, yes, but also not exclusively. We can think of many such examples in the Middle East who have had similar problems, say the Kurds or the Yazid's, or even the Shia under Sunni majority right, or the sun Is under Alawaite minority. If we were to take the Syrian example of the Bath Party of the last several decades. So really, you know, we tend to hyper focus on Israel. It is the case for Israel, but it's not just Israel.
Speaker 1: I see.
Speaker 2: Okay, So back to the concept of anti Semitism, you really muddel the waters, which was not what we were going to do. Here, we're put things in comfortable boxes.
Speaker 3: Well what I want to do. What I want to do is you know, I'm confusing you kind of on purpose so that you have to think for yourself. So we do see that it's not that simple. And then when people deny being an anti Semite, even if you happen to think that they clearly are anti Semite and then deny it, Now you can understand why they deny it because they're not racists, or because they're maybe they're extreme leftists and they're you know, they're saying, well, I'm anti Nazi. Actually, if anyone here is racist, it's the Jews, because the Jews are you know, passed by blood. Judaism is passed by blood in a sense. So if anyone is racist, it's the Jew And you can see it both in left wing circles and in right wing circles. I'll give you examples. Right, for the left wing circles, Israel, the Jewish state is a racist state. And I'm not going to say like if it's true false, right, I'm just pointing the fact. Right, it's it's a for the left, it's a racist state. Would you agree with that?
Speaker 1: Well, explain why? Explain why they think that? Because they say, because it's it's a it's a people determined.
Speaker 3: By blood, mostly by blood. I'll give you an example. Why can't an Arab person whose grandparents lived in Jerusalem. Okay, and let's say that now he's there, is in Jordan. Why can't he live in Jerusalem? But Shlomo from New York, whose entire family has has not touched foot in the Holy Land in thousands of years, he can go and live in Jerusalem and become a citizen. Why because he belongs to a certain race and the Arab does not. Right, So that would be the the Jews are racist case.
Speaker 1: Okay, but Jews are not a race.
Speaker 3: Or where Okay, you're saying that, but I'm presenting the opposite case, right, You're you're presenting the counter and I don't want to go down the counter. I want to present the I want to.
Speaker 1: Know, dude, left just think that Jews are a race.
Speaker 3: I don't want to overly, you know, simplify their position. But they would say that, yes, mostly it is a race. Mm hmmm, because it's mostly passed by blood. You you would be you would say, yeah, but you can convert, but you know that that's not the majority of cases. The majority of cases are passed by blood.
Speaker 1: I see, okay, okay.
Speaker 3: And so they yeah, and so On the neo Nazi, more extreme right wing side, they would say the Jews have an ethno state. They would call it right, which kind of means a racist state. But they are somehow, by sinister means they are preventing us from having an ethno state because they are controlled trying to floot us with immigration. And thus, I don't know, genocide the white race. That's what many of them would claim. Right, So, either way, the Jews a racist. By the way that the Nazis also thought the Jews are racists. How so in the exact manner that they are judging them. The Jews judge themselves by blood, so why shouldn't we And also all they could see is race, So everything was analyzed through race in their perspective. Now, interestingly, both the extreme right wing and the extreme left wing would be anti Zionists because of that. And again I'm not trying to make this a political discussion. I'm only stating fact. So for the left, of course, Israel, the Jewish state would be the one racist state, right, the one racist state. Well, I guess they could say that America is also, you know, fundamentally racist or something structurally racist, Right, they might say, But the one explicitly racist country they would say is.
Speaker 1: Israel and Muslim countries.
Speaker 3: Because no Muslims are Oh, didn't even get to the Muslims. For muslim there isn't even such thing as a race. I mean there is, but as a good Muslim you're not supposed to have such thing as a race.
Speaker 1: What about for leftists?
Speaker 2: Why would leftists call Israel a racist state and not a Muslim country a racist country?
Speaker 3: Because of what the law of return? Mainly but because of the example I just gave about the guy going to live in Jerusalem. You can't have such an example for Egypt. Right, if you were to take the Shahada tomorrow and become a Muslim. It doesn't mean you can move to Cairo. And also, who wants to move to Cairo.
Speaker 1: That's not a very good argument though.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was just being sarcastic and added that, But yeah, so you can move to you can't get a citizenship and benefits as an Israeli based purely on your blood, right, that's what.
Speaker 2: They would say, m hm, yeah, yeah, I understand.
Speaker 3: Okay, So that's you know, you could jump for all sort of conclusions from that and say, yeah, so Israel kind of doesn't needs to not exist. But you could reach the same conclusion from different reasons if you were an extreme right wing from the neo Nazi circles, because you would say something like what Hitler said, which was that if the Zionists were to succeed. Of course, Hitler did not see them succeed, but he knew that such a thing existed if the Zionists were to succeed in establishing a Jewish state, since Jews as a race cannot build a country. And we can get back to that in a minute as to why they cannot build a country, and you might see some hints of that even in the conversation today but since Jews cannot build a country, that means that, you know, Israel, he didn't know it's the name was going to be Israel, but the potential Jurish state was just going to become an organist at Sion Central and headquarters of World Jewelry. Right, that's what Israel was going to become. Now tell me, Frida, here's an interesting I think if if Israel is like the headquarters of a criminal Jewish organization, does that maybe ring a bell about some maybe very anti Semitic although they wouldn't say they're anti Semitic, people claiming that Israel is a safe haven for pedophiles who run away from the US into Israel, or that you know, someone gets in trouble with the law and he just runs to Israel and is immune. Does all this ring a bell maybe as Hitler saying that it's essentially the headquarters of the of the International Jewelry, which is essentially a criminal organization hell bent on the destruction of anything else, everything else.
Speaker 2: So it's essentially a lot of the right wing. Yeah, is that a right wing kind of conspiracy?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it would drip into the left as well. That's the things they kind of feed off each other in a sense, because today even the extreme right wingers would say that Israel is racist, and they would use the sirve the same arguments as the extreme left, and the extreme left would say that Israel as I don't know a controlling the banks and you know, shadowy figures, and then by this they would take the arguments of the extreme right. So that's the one thing they could they can agree on. The Jews.
Speaker 2: The Jews that brings the horseshoes theory to life.
Speaker 1: The Jews as the unifying idea.
Speaker 3: We always bring people together, we do good work.
Speaker 1: Why are people saying such horrible things? That's my sense of humor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's my dark just clarifying.
Speaker 3: That's good. I like it. But you know, then then they ask the question gets asked, well, what do you want us to do if we're traders when we're in your country and we're genostidal maniac when we're in our country and it's essentially a criminal organization, then what do you want us to do? Disappear? I guess right. So you would get different answers depending on who you ask, but essentially, now that you see we can say the return of Christian antisemitism. Also recently that people are using their faith as a bassist for let's just say, jew bashing antisemitism, essentially what you and I would call anti Semitism. But they might not right. And also in the Muslim world they have different reasons. So I'll give you another example. As far as the Christians go, do you know, I mean, think about it, Why were just even allowed to live under Christianity during the Middle Ages and all that hundreds of years. Why the Muslims weren't allowed to live under the Christians? So why the Jews?
Speaker 1: Why?
Speaker 3: The reason is that the Jews remind you as a Christian and show you what happens to the people who have been abandoned by God.
Speaker 1: Wow. The example.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's the that was the mainstream belief of why this should be allowed. And this is also a case you know, we think of it as offensive, but it's actually you know, quite tolerant. At least you don't kill us, right for the time, it's not that bad. So it's not that bad. But when the process stant Reformation came along, Martin Luther, actually, you know Martin Luther, the guy who started the Reformation. He had a different notion, and I don't remember the exact argument, but for him, the the argument of keeping the Jews as you know, people who show you what happens. That's a false argument, that you can just burn their places and drive them off the land. So there was here we can see as the start of a theological dispute about what is our relationship with the Jews as Christians. Right one side would say, you know, just let them be here, or you know, just let them be you know, poor and ugly and disgusting, and you know, that's fine by us. And the other side that would develop would claim, no, we have no reason to have them here. Why they're only corrupting us, So kick them out, burn their stuff, drive them out. That's literally what he said, drive them out. But then another view developed, the view that's called and that has popularized Zionism in the United States. I must say, it's called dispensationalism. If you've ever heard about that freedom right. So the main view of Christians is that the covenant between if we're going into Old Testament stories and again we're not. You don't have to be a religious person to accept or not accept this. I'm only accepting explaining the story and how the narrative is structured. So you could be there was a covenant in the Old Testament between Israel, right, what's called Israel and God. So there are two ways that the Christians interpret that today. One view is called the Covenanial view, and that says that's, by the way, the view of the Catholic Church, for example, that says that Israel today is the Church. The covenant has switched because in the Covenant has been fulfilled and changed by Christ by the sacrifice on the Cross. And thus the Church is the new Israel. The covenant is between God and the Church, which is now Israel. And when I say the Church in this sense, it could mean the Catholic Church, but it could also mean what is called the Body of Christ, like all the believers. Okay, So that's one interpretation. The other interpretation, which is slightly newer, is called dispensationalism, which means that no word does it say that the promise has been revoked, and so there is a new covenant. There is a new Testament. By the way, in Hebrew, the name of the New Testament is Habrita Kadasha, which literally translates to the New Covenant if you were to translate it, it okay, So there is another covenant with the Christians, but the Covenant with the Jews did not expire, and thus the Jews are still God's chosen people. So you have these like you used to have these two competing views of what do we do with the Jews? Today you have these competing Jews views of what do you do with the Jews? What are the Jews? Are the Jews? As a as a believer, do I think that they are God's chosen people? Or do I think that they've been abandoned by God because they did not accept Jesus?
Speaker 1: What did you call dispensationalism?
Speaker 3: Yes, dispensationalism is the view, is the view that Israel is still chosen and covenanial, well covenancial thinking. Is the is the opposite that Israel is now the Church.
Speaker 1: I see.
Speaker 2: So those who those Christians who believe that our Zionists essentially are dispensationalists. Is that what you're saying, those who believe that Israel is the lend that was promised.
Speaker 1: To the Jews and are actually very strong Zionists. Often there's very strong Christians.
Speaker 3: Yes, and The thing is that there used to be this thing that was like the most powerful, the most popular educational bible in America. It was called the Schofield Bible. You might have heard of it, and what it was. It was a King James Bible with notes for teaching and learning, right, with special notes and so notes. These notes were pushing people towards dispensationalist thinking because it would clarify certain passages as here God means that he did not abandon Israel, and here God means blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: Right, I see.
Speaker 3: And today, if you've ever heard prominent anti semits, today they are saying that the Schofield Bible is essentially a Zionist plot to control Yeah, they say it was funded by the Rothschilds, and that it was a Zionist plot to brain wash America essentially.
Speaker 2: Wow, Okay, were you in the middle of a thought or can I ask you other questions? Now? Go on?
Speaker 1: Yeah, what were you saying?
Speaker 2: I don't know if our reception is a little problematic that by the time I'm done talking, you seem to be hearing.
Speaker 3: Me, or maybe it's my thought that's a bit slow.
Speaker 2: That's okay, that's Okay, we can take our time, we can adjust as needed my question. There are a couple of things that I'm really interested in this conversation. First of all, it's really interesting to look at how different philosophies and religions gave rise to different ways of looking at these people who were a minority in their myths, like the Jews in the Middle Ages.
Speaker 1: But also.
Speaker 2: Something I'm interested in pausing and defining for a minute is the concept of conspiracy theory, because I feel that that's very relevant in our contemporary culture. The concept of what is actually conspiracy theory epstein? Are we even allowed to talk about that? Is that like like that was part of this For years, There's been very neg connotations to conspiracy theories, to the point that the mainstream media would deride anyone who talked about Epstein. And then suddenly the mainstream media no longer called it a conspiracy theory. So I'm wondering, how would you define a conspiracy theory?
Speaker 3: Okay, so I'm guessing literally, if we were to think what a conspiracy theory is, there's the colloquial use, which means like a theory that involves the conspiracy that is highly unlikely to be true. Right, that's like the colloquial use. But I guess the literal use would be the belief the theory, right, the belief the theory that you have about some conspiracy going on, And that would make it seem less outlandish because you could say that everything is a conspiracy theory, like I could go to the Middle East and point you at like one hundred conspiracy conspiracy theories right now. But in the colloquial use, we normally think that it's something done by the government, like in a shady way. Right, This is what we mean when we say compared to conspiracy theories, I don't know, And I gotta say, I I don't know that much about the Epstein story. I know that it exists, so but I wouldn't be able to be that helpful about it.
Speaker 2: Well, let's not talk about Epstein, then, let's talk about in general, because I think fundamental to anti Semitism as it exists in certain circles today, and I think, particularly in the right wing part of.
Speaker 1: The underground, our conspiracy theories.
Speaker 2: And I think the question is where is the line. I like finding or trying to articulate a line where there's oftentimes a fuzzy line. So let's say, what's anti Semitism was something you've just made even more fuzzy in a way. Likewise, what is a conspiracy theory? If someone says to you the Jews all like Nick Fuentes, the Jews all have all the power. They control Hollywood, they control the White House. At which point do you, personally, as a thoughtful person, do you say this is a valid idea. I will engage with you on the possibility that you're right.
Speaker 1: And which point do you say this is.
Speaker 2: A conspiracy theory and I am not engaging with you.
Speaker 3: That's a good question. I'm not sure I know the answer. It seems to me like in America, where free speech is so important, it seems to me like you should always engage.
Speaker 2: I have to say, if someone says to you, Okay, I totally believe the world is square or whatever flat. I don't think many people think it's square, but I think some people think it's flat. If someone says that to you and says, Daran, listen to me, I'll explain to you why it's flat. And five minutes and you notice they're a total nut case, like their explanation.
Speaker 1: At which point do you say this is a.
Speaker 2: Conspiracy theory or do you say to yourself, I need to give this this a chance and listen to it.
Speaker 3: I think the framing here is I would not think to myself, by the way, that was a brilliant analogy. I don't think I would say to myself, this is a conspiracy theory, I shouldn't engage. I would probably say to myself, this person is crazy and I shouldn't engage. Right, So my problem is my problem is not the conspiracy theory. My problem is is the person.
Speaker 1: I say.
Speaker 2: That's an interesting distinction because, for instance, during COVID, I felt very strongly that we needed to have a conversation about if lockdowns were the right course of action. And I didn't think I was a conspiracy theorist for it at all. Like to me, it was very clear that there was a public health crisis and the actions that were taken were very, very radical, and I thought it was necessary to discuss if that was the right course of action.
Speaker 1: And I got really really flamed, and it left.
Speaker 2: Me the very confused or difficult feeling towards conspiracy theory as a concept, which I think is something I struggle with all the time. I ask myself, when am I just dismissing, Oh, this person's inn case of conspiracy theorist? And when do we have to engage? And the place in which it's relevant is if someone says, well, the Jews have all that power or something like that.
Speaker 1: Where do you go from there? With that?
Speaker 3: One second, I just want to go back to your COVID analogy. I think most sane people, unless they were highly politically motivated, would agree to debate you on that issue. And if they didn't agree, I think there was something wrong with him, I must say. But they would be correct to write you off as a nut job if you were to say, not only write these the lockdowns are too much blah blah blah. And also they just want to inject us with this thing because they're injecting chips into our skin, and this way they can try no. But it matters.
Speaker 1: But maybe it's true, but maybe it's true. See I don't believe it, but maybe it's true.
Speaker 3: It could be true, but there seems to be some line that when it's crossed, you say, like, my problem is not with the conspiracy theory. My problem is that this person is likely paranoid or that he has some problem, and I shouldn't engage with him, Like I don't say that he belongs in jail, essentially, but I don't need to waste my time on that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's that's exactly. It brings me back to the epscene files, because when I heard of the EPC epscene killed himself again again, I was like, Eh, conspiracy theories. I feel guilty doing it because it was done to me, But then these people are proven right essentially. So I think central to the conversation about how Jews are discussed today is the question of how can we have conversations about different people and what is a conspiracy theory that is like not worth engaging with.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I would have to talk to a rabbit, to a rabbit anti Semite for that, I have to be honest, Like, I have only one example of one such case. I had a conversation with a person who who during our talk suggested some things that sounded kind of Nazi to me. Okay, they sounded kind of Nazi adjacent. He floated a bunch of ideas about how you know, the Jews controlled the White House and stuff like that, and I was explaining to him why I think that he is mistaken. It was a civil debate, and he kind of accepted my answer. So I thought to myself, Okay, so it's not crazy. He's just heard it so often, and now that he has to think about it, he abandons these notions. But later, when we got off the air, he told me, don can I tell you something? Sure? And he told me that his brother is actually has been in prison for like twenty years, and that his brother joined a neo Nazi gang in prison, and that his brother has become obsessed by the Jews and doesn't ever stop talking about the Jews. And then I thought to myself, so this is how he got his ideas. I didn't just think these were Nazi ideas. He literally got them from Nazis. So think what happens now when Nazi ideas are widespread on the internet on YouTube. And I have to tell you free, I don't know if anything can be done about it, because they they do have a point, right, because it depends when you say Jews control Hollywood. Okay, what do you mean by that? Because you could just say there are a bunch of prominent Jews. Let's say that I'm the conspiracy theorist and I'm telling you Jews control Hollywood. Okay, you ask me what I mean, and I'll tell you Hollywood is essentially all the big studios are run by prominent Jews. Okay, And this might be correct. I don't know what the status in Hollywood is today, but I know that it's certainly used to be correct. It might be correct still to this day. So I might say this, but the line is crossed here if I believe that these Jews, Okay, for this to be a problem, we would have to believe that these Jews are essentially loyal to their own kind and not to me, not to my group, but to their own group, and that they are using their power and their influence to advance certain goals that benefit their group and not my group. And not only do they benefit their group, they are actually harming my group. Right, So saying that the Jews control Hollywood is not enough. You need that extra headen assumption of a conspiracy that's going on, a literal conspiracy in the literal sense. So are the Jews push do I believe maybe I'm a Muslim in the United States and I believe that the Hollywood Jews are pushing Zionist agendas, or maybe I'm a right wing extreme antiese might and I believe that the Jews who control Hollywood, they're pushing open border policies right, and they're trying to subconsciously influence the American to you know, have less children, they would say, become LGBT. You know, the the structure of the family. And you know, so when I'm confronted with that, I asked, I said, so, wait, it can't be both, can it. It can't be both, So which one is it? By the way, the Nazis again, I can't I go to the Nazis, they said the exact same. The Jews are loyal to themselves. They are pushing They wouldn't call it LGBT back then, but you know, they have this famous story about a sex change clinic that was opened by a Jew and Berlin, and how the Jews were destroying the structure of the family, and how they had like these sexual abomination bars or you know, pubs in which they would provo promote their DEVNC. So this is becoming, by the way, people are trying to push this narrative again, today, when they're retelling the story of the Second World War, they're trying to re tell it in a different way, which makes the Nazi action defensive. For example, another example that people used for World Jewelry, there was I think it was in the late thirties or in the mid thirties, there was a declaration of war by Judea on Hitler. This is what the newspapers said. What it meant was that Jews worldwide were upset at what was going on in Germany at the time, I think it was before the war actually broke out, but still Jews were concerned and they boycotted Germany, they barcouted German goods, and then the press said, Judea declares war on Germany. And thus, if you would were to ask neo Nazi today who declared war on who first, they would say the Jews, they would cite this. So again it everything depends on how you tell the story. And yeah, and again they have a point. They do have a point that like the Nazis would also say the Communists were Jews. And again it comes up today where the Communists were the Jews, Well, the Jews, the Jews were disproportionately represented by the commune in the communist movement. And you could also come up with social factors for this.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: For example, you might say it's because the Jews were the were the one group that had the most to gain from abolishing all distinction between people. Right, That's essentially what communism is like. The only thing that matters is that I belong to the correct class and then I can be like everyone else. So it makes sense that the Jews would be there. That's one explanation. Another explanation you could give if you're a Nazi would be it's in their blood or somehow they're genetically predisposed to be Communists, or you could say if you are a modern anti, say might a modern Nazi. They would not take the racial route. Mostly, what they would say is that the Jews were just looking for an excuse to murder Christians. And then they would they would say, tell us about how the Communists, the Bolsheviks murdered millions of Christians, and they would call that the biggest genocide ever, and they would emphasize this to make it bigger than the Holocaust. Right. By the way, they would also deny the Holocaust, but just in case, they don't they also make it like the first genosiders were actually the Jews. They started it against Christians or against white people, so you could there where I lose that. Where I think someone has lost the plot is when he's presented with several explanations of something, instead of picking the one that seems most plausible, he would always pick the one that fits his extreme ideology, or he has never even considered these options, which is also suspicious the.
Speaker 2: Idea that I think this is a very good distinction. When you'll tell, you'll often present a scenario I'm trying to think. Let's say I show videos of acidic women covering their heads.
Speaker 1: And the most likely.
Speaker 2: Explanation for or judgment for this custom is to say, well, the majority of Westerners judge these women for covering their heads, and some people don't. The conspiracy theorists will or the antisemi. I don't know that I would use the word antisema. The person predisposed to kind of judgment about the Jews will immediately jump to see the Jews are allowed to cover their heads and Muslims get criticized. I see this all the time, where it's like, why would you jump to that reading where did you go from seeing a minority group with a special clothing garb to reading into that as proof that Jews get special privilege. You've made so many assumptions in the middle, like saying Muslims would never be allowed to do that. What are you talking about. It's in New York City. We see people in hit jobs all the time. So I find it interesting the way people will take their ideology and impose it on tiny bits of information without at all considering the more probable explanation, which is that this is a city or a country where a diversity of religious observances are tolerated, and it's not a special privilege for Jews. It's simply an approach towards minorities.
Speaker 1: Does that make sense?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah it does.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You know, here's what I want to ask you, like, as we're winding down to our hour, something that I actually struggle with. You're a secular person, right is that fair to say? Yeah, I have no idea, you want to explain your own, So I don't work off assumptions, and I am guilty of what I accuse others of doing.
Speaker 3: Actually I don't know what I would define myself as, So just go on your assumption and I'll go away.
Speaker 2: You'll clarify in the answer. Okay, here's what I was going to ask. I know a lot of religious people who will say, well, anti Semitism is back.
Speaker 1: It's always been there.
Speaker 2: It is a fixed flight of the world, and we don't have to ask why it's back. It's always been there, it will always be there, and that's the end. For me, as someone who sees the world I think in a less religiously predestined way, that answer doesn't satisfy.
Speaker 1: I'm like, well, we're all people.
Speaker 2: Some people carry more prejudice in their hearts than others. For instance, there will be sexism always, some people more so, some people less so. There will be anti semitism more so and less so. But sometimes it will be worse, and the reason for it to be worse will be explainable and definable, and you can find it in the cultural context. In other words, things can be understand. A rise in anti Semitism should be understood, in my view, from the perspective of a geopolitical context that causes increased anti semitism. When you see anti semitism on YouTube, do you ask the question of why is it getting worse. Why is anti Semitism getting worse? Or is that not a question you ask?
Speaker 3: I sometimes wonder about it. I can think of a variety of possible explanations. Of course, of course geopolitics could be involved. But you have to remember that there is a let's put it this way, there's a vast literature to pull upon. There's a history of this, so it's very easy to just go to all the ideas which we think were completely unfounded, for example, the Nazi hatred of Jews, right, so we view it today as completely debunked. But really, when we look at how the conversation is around us today, we can say, yeah, the racist factor of it has been kind of completely debunked, right, Almost nobody brings that up, But the same ideas are still coming back, right. It's they have a vast array of literature to draw upon. And the same goes for mostly anti semitism or Christian antisemitism. Although I must say, like the I do not consider well, maybe it's a bit late in the interview to say that, but I do not connsider Christianity as a whole to be anti semitic necessarily, Okay, And of course the Catholic Church is firmly against it. That we can talk about that, that's a different topic, but firmly anti Semitism. They had they had a a whole meeting called Vatican two. They had they put out a document I think it was in the sixties. The document was called the Noraate and it kind of redefines the relationship between the Catholic Church and Jews. And it also ends ends trying It puts an end to trying to convert the Jews and saying that they're a part of God's plan and blah blah blah and all that way. That's a whole other spiel. So I do not consider Christianity as a whole as an anti Semitic religion. But if I were a Christian anti Semite, I have a vest historic literature to draw upon, right, Yeah, So this is what I'm trying to say, like it could be. And if I if I do believe that Jews kind of run things behind the scenes, I have literature to draw upon, and I can go back and say, hey, this guy also thought this way, and he might have had a point. Maybe Hitler was a good guy. And if if we were also I think you cannot neglect to mention this, But say, okay, let's say that we have a glass of water, okay, and you take a little bit of apple juice and you sprink it into your glass of water. Okay, is the wall Is the average color of the water going to change?
Speaker 1: Yes? Yes, a little bit of apple juice.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, necessarily it's going to change. Right. The more you add, the more it will change. But by definition, once you add some it will change. The same goes I'm sorry to say, but the same goes for immigration from Muslim countries. If you were to have a society that harbors extreme hostility towards Jews for the past hundred years at least, probably more. There were some better times, but yeah, okay, extreme animosity. There was animosity even before that, but it became extreme and bloody and violent for about one hundred years. Okay. If you were to import these people into your curunt, would you hatred on average rise, decrease, or remain the same. Of course it would rise, sir. If you were to import people from countries in which mind comf is a best seller and in which the biggest and most successful history YouTube channels in Arabic tell you the history of World War two and they tell it from a Nazi perspective. Literally, they tell it from a Nazi perspective about how the Nazis waged war against the Jews, And they get, well, what do you think are going to get? These ideas will circulate?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, it's interesting that you say that. You know, I'm open to hearing from I don't keep up with things like that very much. When I hear ideas like this, I'm listening. I had Izzy Posin on my show and he talked about immigration in the UK causing a rise of anti Semitism, and that interview got quite a few very angry comments from people who are on the left who are very very frustrated or outraged by this insinuation, which I'm hearing from you as well. And I think Izzy is coming from the right. I'm not sure. I mean putting everyone in boxes, but I feel like some degree is helpful. So I just want to pause here and hear, like, where do you see this argument that you're making coming from in terms of the spectrum of the political world, and how do you feel about how the left respond to it?
Speaker 3: So I gotta say I wasn't trying to make a political argument. That's why I gave the example of the of the glass of water and the apple juice, right. I mean necessarily, once you add something that is different than the average into the average, then the average will change.
Speaker 2: But what you were saying, essentially was that Muslim countries have a high prevalence of anti Semitic.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's that's a fact.
Speaker 2: Okay, you wanna you wanna? Yeah, you want to talk more about that, like how how that is like received or how do you saying stating this as a fact in a contemporary discourse, how people respond to it, and how you how you handle the discussion.
Speaker 3: So, of course, in American politics, this the mere mention of this fact would be considered right wing, right, but I would like to qualify that. And by the way, I don't Again, I don't see myself as a particularly political person, but I know some history, and I know that Arab countries and Muslim countries as a whole, not all of them, but almost all of them, with the exception of I don't know Kosovo, which we can get into, but they have a very very heavy animosity towards Jews. We can think of for example, well all the way back to the Second World War, right in which the religious figure Jajamin al Husseini, the Grand Mufti of Jerusalem, that was his role at the time, he called for jihad against the British and the Jews, both right, the British and the Jews, and there was the famous Farhood massacre in he I. At the time, Iraq, I remind you had a Jewish population, not from after the Balkohva revolt, not from after the destruction of the Second Temple, but since the Babylonian exile. Okay, there is there have been Jews living in Iraq for what is it two and a half thousand years, something like that, and these people were like that, massacred like that on in one second, when the Jews of Iraq, when Israel was established, these Jews were seen as Zionist collaborators, which by the way, the Jews of the United States are also increasingly being viewed as. Okay, so they were seen as Zionist collaborators, and the Iraqi government opened like a window of time in which a Jew can say, well, I'm living to Israel. Ok we will let you leave. Fine, you can leave, but then when they closed the window of application or no towards the closing of that application window, they passed another law that said that anyone who has applied is actually not allowed to live with anything. So again that's you have no property, your home, your stuff. You can't take anything with you, maybe a suitcase, but like you're done, all your stuff now belongs to the state. And mind you, this is before Hussein, this is before Saddam Hussein. This is the Hashemi family that rules Jordan today. So this happened, and now people today, Muslims today, would say, well, this only happened because these Zionists have conducted false flag attacks against Jews in Iraq, like against their own people in Iraq, to get the Iraqi Jews to turn on the Iraqi government. Right, there's always an explanation. But so this is the Iraqi Jew experience. And by the way, they all left, pretty much all of them left. There are no Jews in Iraq today and this was like one of the largest communities ever, so have Okay, so maybe the Zionists, the evil Zionists, were involved. Okay, maybe they were, but are we really to believe that not a single one was left and like the the it was such a pleasure to live to live over there. The people loved them and accepted them so much. There was no anti Semitism at all. No, well, you know, they wouldn't call it anti semitism, but there was no anti semitism at all. It was great, It was perfect. Same goals for Egypt. By the way, there are no Jews in Egypt, almost no Jews, Morocco, Libya, all these places there were million, like a million Jews. Why are none of them are left over there? So I think that's a pretty strong that's a pretty strong argument in favor of the these societies being very hostile towards Jews. And I have to remind you that these Jews were not Zionists to begin with. Today, by the way they are debase, their descendants are the base of the right wing, right wing political power in Israel. Yeah so, but these people were not Zionists. They were Arabised Jews. But this wasn't enough interesting.
Speaker 1: Wow, thank you for answering this.
Speaker 2: I feel like it's such a delicate conversation, but personally these are like important questions for me.
Speaker 1: It feels like you're not allowed to talk about it.
Speaker 2: To some degree, but for me it's important to have these discussions. So we were talking about the rise, you were giving the answer, and I want to wrap up our interview. I wonder if you have any other thoughts on the rise of anti Semitism besides for the apple juice analogy.
Speaker 3: I think it's a mix, right, I think it's men may different factors going into one. First of all, you have okay, so it's like an interaction between many different things. You have this going on. You have the way in which we conduct our conversations online on x or on Facebook, and that space being highly susceptible to outside actors, be it organic or inorganic. Right, so these things can also influence our conversation and maybe add a few ideas that might have been fringe but now generate a lot of traction because they're sensational.
Speaker 2: Right, do you believe that I ran it, for instance, pushing funding but ideas like that kind of thing.
Speaker 3: Not only do I believe that, I know that, but not so much. I ran more China and Russia they are more powerful with it. But would they would be aligned with Iran in this particular case, Yes, we can tell, we can have we have people that can monitor these sorts of things, and we know that there are in fact bot farms. And you can think to yourself by the way that you think. Think as a congresswoman, for example, Let's say you're a congresswoman and you post something about something criticizing Israel, okay, and suddenly you discover that you're getting a hell of a lot more likes and reposts and shares. Now, this could be entirely artificial, done by outside actors. But what do you learn from that as a congresswoman to do it more? And what do other people watching you learn also to do it more? Right? So it could. So it's a lot of different things. And of course it's also the fact that there has been a substantial effort by the geopolitical enemies of Israel two portray it at a very very very negative light with the Gaza war especially right, this was a very strong catalyst for all of this. And again, war is not great, right, nobody loves war. But the war in Sudan wasn't pumped that hard into Western news feeds and social media feeds, right, and arguably it was way worse. Same with Yemen. Now, you could bring up all sorts of arguments, Like normally people would say, yeah, but we do not fund Yemen, and we do not find fund Sudan, and we're not allied with this country, but we are allied with Israel, so it should be held more accountable. That might fine. I'm not arguing with that, if that's what you want to claim. But Mike would still hold true that it's been pushed way harder and way more as a geopolitical tool, by the way, as a tool of force by countries, and by the way, that's not even a new thing. That's not even new. Jingiz Khan even used to do it to his enemies even before he was a great conqueror, Like he would spread the rumors about the emperor of what was it. I think it was the Jin dynasty, like the dynasty that controlled northern China at the time, right, and then these rumors would be pushed all the time, and you know, to shake his legitimacy or something like that. Everybody does it. It's a part of warfare. Not all warfare is fought with tanks and rifles.
Speaker 2: Suppressing because war, we imagine, is a very clear cut thing. We know what it is and when it permeates and bleeds into our perception of reality. That rob us of our ability to know what's real and what's not, and that's so destabilizing and so disruptive to just our sense of our trust with each other in conversation. It's it's for me, it's very frustrating that a lot of people and buy it what we can call propaganda. And then you're trying to have a conversation, and so much of it is shaped in these artificial contexts, or even if it's shaped by mainstream media, it's often like so much someone else shaping your perception of reality, and then we're trying to have a discussion off of almost an artificial reality.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I guess you could call war a spectrum. It's a spectrum. It doesn't have to go as font clause of It's like the premiere or military theorist of the West would say, war is just the continuation of policy by other means.
Speaker 1: I see, I like that. I hear what you're saying. I get it.
Speaker 2: My final question and then will wrap up to which degree do you feel that having these conversations in a climate in which so much of what we say can be weaponized is something you are anxious about.
Speaker 3: So I'm actually not anxious at all about that. I'm you know, I'm generally not an anxious person. I just say that. I think, yeah, that's great.
Speaker 1: How do you do it teach me?
Speaker 3: Oh? Well, have you heard of Marcus Aurelius?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: Oh, I think we can discuss it later if you want, or now, whatever you prefer. But yeah, I've I you read it every once in a while, and I feel like after maybe it's also a part of getting older, But I've become like very good at separating what is up to me and what is not up to me.
Speaker 1: Oh, I like that was Buddhists.
Speaker 3: I get. No, whathis this detachment? Right? It is to be detached from the things that are happening around you. Well, I guess there are some similarities. But also I would have to say that I am not anxious about this being taken out of context. But I also don't think that these kinds of conversation help, Like they do help, but it's like that it's like such a small influence because most people they just already decided what camp do they belong to, and you know they will act according to that. But you know, maybe we made a little bit of a difference, and I hope with did that.
Speaker 2: Well, the truth is my view, my philosophy about this is I'm not here to dissuade anyone who is an anti Semite of their views. It's just not something I care about talking to these people and convincing them. But I do feel strongly about my own right to clarity and the right for those of us who live in this confusing world to understand what's happening around us, just to have a better understanding of the issues in the world.
Speaker 3: Well, that's the story of your life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you so much for adding a piece of to that story. I really enjoyed talking to you. What can we say to the viewers to check out more of your work? Your podcast? You keep you keep it updated sort of. I saw your last post was a month ago.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, well I haven't posted in quite some time. Maybe I should hurry up. Actually I'm more more active on my Hebrew channel, but I should for this interview. It deserves a post on my English channel as well.
Speaker 1: Love that. Love that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you're you're popular in Hebrew circles.
Speaker 1: Doing for an Israeli audience content.
Speaker 3: I guess you could say that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what would you say to Summer is what your content is about?
Speaker 3: Really quickly, Oh, I just talk about what I'm interested in. It's usually philosophy, psychology, geopolitics, history, sometimes just YouTube stuff. That's kind of what I'm into.
Speaker 2: Me too, mostly into YouTube, just YouTube stuff, the other things I don't know. Well, thank you so much, Duran, I really enjoyed talking to you. And thank you also to the viewers on YouTube and the podcast listeners as well.
Speaker 1: And bye bye,