Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled my Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now, here's Nick coffee.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get it started, Ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 3: It is hour number two here on a Friday afternoon, as we get you set for the weekend. Maybe your weekend's already started. If so, hell yeah, salute to you. I mean, I feel like I can say the weekend started for me. I mean, I'm still technically at work, but you know, I don't really think this is work. And I'm not just saying that to be a company man. This is coffee and company, and I am a company man. But you know, this is a lot of fun and I've got some good vibes that I'm bringing back from Charlotte, North Carolina here to Louisville because the ACC basketball tip off was a pretty cool experience, which none of you care about this, I'm sure, but it was the first time where I really kind of networked off. I was, you know, chatting up guys who were doing shows in Raleigh or somebody doing his show I think in Richmond, Virginia, and I briefly chatted with.
Speaker 2: What's his name.
Speaker 3: I'll think of his name in a second and you may or may not know who it is. Me forgetting is that was a really bad move on my part to like I was getting ready to throw out a name that maybe twenty percent of the audience would know, and now I can't remember it, and there's going to be like this, there's gonna be this anticipation, and then when I do remember his name, people are going to be like, one, who the hell's that?
Speaker 4: Or who cares the roses off the bloom?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but when it comes to you know, the ACC as a hoops league, I mean, it's not great as far as the league I think clearly taking huge steps back recently, but it's an opportunity for Pat Kelsey and his team to really come out and have a strong season. I mean, we'll see, it's the ultimate unknown with this team and you know, everything being brand new. But one of the reasons why I feel like it's safe to say that this team should have and the fans should have tournament aspirations. Right, You're not asking too much out of Pat Kelsey in year one to take this team to the damn tournament. And I know we haven't been to the tournament in a long time, and that it sucks to say, but it's just the truth.
Speaker 2: However, one of the.
Speaker 3: Reasons why I feel good in saying that is because I look at the rest of the ACC and I realize there's nobody really scary outside of maybe Duke in Carolina. Who knows, Maybe there's a team that really you see from the portal, got a lot better.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's Miami.
Speaker 3: They always do well in the portal, they got money, Keats has got momentum, he did well in the portal, and maybe they can carry some of that Final four momentum. So, like, I'm not saying that we should just expect Louisville to for sure be one of the best teams in this league.
Speaker 2: But here's what I do know.
Speaker 3: Pat Kelcey ain't worried about going and playing eighty percent of these teams. Mean he's gonna beat them all, but like, you can win these games. Heck, you can win games in the Battle for Atlantis, I think. Well, anyways, we'll get back into some basketball stuff a little bit later on. However, we were just a day away from another college football Saturday, and it's a big one for Louisville in a weird way. In really a bad way, because you don't have a whole lot to gain here as far as like doing something of note, doing something that kind of changes the way people view you. It's what you're supposed to do. You're still favored in this game. You should win, you were expected to win, and if you do that, there'll be some that just say, okay, whatever, or people won't even notice because hey, Louisville and unranked Louisville team that's three and two. Beating a Virginia team on the road is like the ultimate whatever, no reaction result in college football.
Speaker 2: But a loss.
Speaker 3: Probably doesn't even get you that much hate or criticism because you're already kind of viewed as a team that and people could be wrong, but like Louisville's no longer being mentioned as a team like in the ACC race for obvious reason. So like I think a loss here would just be like, oh wow, Louisville loses again, and then people move on. But for this team, for these individuals and this fan and just everybody internally, and I guess fans aren't internal, you know, they're they're they're just hands. But a loss here would be dare I say, catastrophic and it's not because you still couldn't get better and win games and right this ship, as they say. But good luck getting anybody to believe you're gonna do that when you would have pretend when you when you know, a loss tomorrow would give you three straight losses and this one would be the worst of the three and it's not even close. So in a weird way, in a way that you know, isn't isn't good that you're here. I have no problem in saying it. Tomorrow is huge.
Speaker 2: It's huge.
Speaker 3: So she said, not really, but yeah, just in my you know, sometimes sometimes you gotta you know, you gotta, you gotta psych yourself up. You gotta envision that she might have said that just to kind of keep you on track, keep you ready to perform. You know what I'm saying, Probably shouldn't have said that up again, that's what she said. Yeah, I mean sometimes, you know, sometimes she needs say stuff for you know, for.
Speaker 2: Just just part.
Speaker 4: It's just part of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll I'll back up here and get refocused. It is coffee and Company. We are fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven nighty nit coffee, that's me. We've got Austin in the house today producing this afternoon, and we are we're having a good time at least I think.
Speaker 2: Are you having a good time, Austin.
Speaker 4: I'm having a great time. It's Friday, vibes are I'm trying. I'm trying to manifest the vibes being high. But you know, as I told you about gut feelings earlier, I'm trying. I'm trying to switch the luck a little bit. It's it's Friday. It's a long weekend for me. I'm going to Nashville this weekend. So oh nice, it's gonna be a good time.
Speaker 3: I say nice because I want you to have a good time. But I'm willing to also tell you that being in Nashville for a weekend it my current state in life, sounds like hell on earth just putting it out there. Are you just going for a little, like a little week and get away.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a little little weekend get away with the ladies. She's like your thing. She's you know, do my thing in in Cashville, right, She's she has like some talking Broadway or what I think it's somewhere awful music row that's Broadway, right.
Speaker 2: I mean, I was asking the wrong, guy.
Speaker 4: Do you feel like I should know Nashville a little bit more than I do. But the girlfriend has like a night's stay and like a dinner somewhere. She's like a local influencer, right, Okay, And then she's she got some sort of night's stay and then we're gonna do that and just kind of we're staying the night and spending the day basically, and then we're coming back Monday night.
Speaker 2: Nice, So I'll enjoy yourself.
Speaker 4: Should be fun. It's I In the couple of times I've been to Nashville, I've loved it. It's very like kind of I've embraced the trashiness of it because it's a Nashville.
Speaker 3: What Nashville are you talking about? Because Nashville, I mean to me, it's become like the ultimate. I mean, I haven't been out on Broadway in probably three four years, and it's only gotten way worse as far as like just being super crowded and nothing. But like tourists who look at it as like an opportunity to participate in cosplay. Yes, you know what I'm saying, Yes, and that could be fun to like sit around and look at. But like as far as if I'm out trying to have like dinner with my wife or you know, just to have a night out having fun, Like it's just too busy and I just feel like such a I feel like a I feel.
Speaker 2: Like I'm I don't belong you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: I'm kind of feeling the same just in but.
Speaker 3: You could, but no, knowing you, you can blend anywhere, dude, like you have the personality you are somebody that like you'll you'll you'll fit and you'll have fun and you'll be a chameleon. And that's just you know, I wish I had that.
Speaker 2: That's not me.
Speaker 4: Shake my ass to any of the bachelorette parties that come by, and if you tent me and there's there's a girl that's willing to say hey, and I'll throw it back for somebody.
Speaker 3: I mean yeah, I mean you you I'm I'm an introvert and I you know I'm not I'm kind of weird socially at times, so like that's why I need to be. Like, that's why Rick's a lot more fun at places like Nashville.
Speaker 1: Rick.
Speaker 3: When Rick's got you know, seven eight bush lights in him, then that's when you know, that's when I'm a little you know, that's when I've become Rick.
Speaker 4: You know, it's a dream and it's a dream matchup right there, Austin and Rick in now Broadway, Saturday Night on Broadway. Have you ever been on one of those little party buses or there's those pedal buses, like those pedal things.
Speaker 3: No, but I've been to and I'm not kidding. As as we started talking Nashville, I started racking my brain. I've been to six bachelor parties in Nashville. Wow, all the same thing. We do this and it's always a lot of fun. But it's really just because I'm with my boys and you know, it's it's the moment. But each time we went back for another one, it was more and more like, I mean, it was like a tourist thing. Yeah, like it just didn't feel like I was actually, you know, it just did. I don't know, just but maybe it's more than me.
Speaker 2: People.
Speaker 3: I'm sure there are people that have gone to Nashville whenever they can to get away to have a night out on Broadway. They've been doing it for you know, seven eight years, and although the atmosphere has only gotten more busy and more hectic, people still go and have a good time. So I'm just I'm willing to I'm willing to admit that it may be and not like Nashville's problem, you know what I'm saying, Like I'm just getting old and washed.
Speaker 2: That happens in life.
Speaker 4: Let's let's relax, let's relax. I don't know. I've only been to Nashville like three times, and all of them have been like wrestling related, just to go down there and watch like a WWE pay per view or I just had layover in Nashville because I was going.
Speaker 2: So you never really experienced Broadway.
Speaker 4: Not not really. I've experienced how packed it is like after an event and trying to go find a car and get out of a parking garage, and that was hell. So that's all.
Speaker 3: Well, you and the lady, you all need to just take in the walk that is Broadway up and down and you don't even mean I would encourage you to, you know, get a couple of drinks and have yourself a time, but you don't even have to do that, just walk. I mean, there's so much going on it's kind of turned into its own version of like the Vegas Strip.
Speaker 2: Without the gambling. Yeah, and you know that's fun.
Speaker 3: So again, the more I talk about it, the more it sounds like it's just me being old, not in not being able to hang like I used to, which that is a part of it, but also it's just it's just so busy, like it is so crowded, and that's you know, I've never been big on crowds for anything.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I've went there before a show to really just kind of hang out and have a drink. And I guess it was really before things started getting popping. I mean, I guess it's cool there's live music everywhere. But and I will also say, I mean, you're a single guy and you're just kind of down on your luck, man, and you don't have any other options, go to Nashville. You'll you'll find something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't.
Speaker 3: I can't confirm her deny because I've not I've not been in a long time. But it does seem as if lately it is the one rare spot where you will be outnumbered with more women than men when it comes to like, you know, a night social things.
Speaker 4: So I'm banking on us getting one of those weird TikTok side street interviews and just me saying some outlandish stuff anyways, kind of like a vib ject yeah, just being like the next hot to a guy, right.
Speaker 2: I'll, oh, you could be the hot to a guy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll, I'll, I'll listen, I'll say some outlandis stuff.
Speaker 3: They need to just end that her whole thing. And and she might be a nice young lady, but she's now got a podcast called the what is it the Hot talk to?
Speaker 2: Yeah, talk to us.
Speaker 4: She's kind of hot. I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 2: Oh, of course she is. That's why. That's part of why she became like this viral sensation.
Speaker 4: But she's young. I'm afraid to say that.
Speaker 3: And but like here here's my thing. Like she's doing a podcast just yeah, in which hey whatever, if she's getting the bag and she's getting you know, it's then then I would be doing the same thing if I was her.
Speaker 2: But like she she does.
Speaker 3: She know, she's kind of become like the butt of the joke. Like if you've seen those videos that like all the frats are doing on TikTok, they do they talk to a watch party, watch party, and she'll say something like you know anything, and they'll just be like like like.
Speaker 4: She'ld just go crazy like saying it and they booed the friends saying she said, no, this is how you gotta do it, and they just go crazy. I'm kind of selfishly liking those right now, and I guess she's kind of getting new life with that podcast.
Speaker 3: No, but but that's my thing is that she's not like the life is just like everybody's realizing, wow, it's crazy that she's probably become a millionaire, and like nobody would say that they find this to be interesting or entertaining, but you know, the internet is going to do what the Internet does. Kind of like Lieutenant Dan down there in Tampa, like, you know, before everybody found out he was a scumbag with a bunch of terrible offenses in his criminal record, Like, oh, you didn't see that, you know I'm talking about though.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've been avidly following the Lieutenant Dan. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So there was somebody, some big streamer that offered him like a hundred k, you know, to to like do live streams with him, and you know, do live streams from the boat because he's gonna he's he lives in the boat full time or whatever. Yeah, but then you know, they they they rescinded the offer because they realized, you know, he has a terrible criminal history, and you know how people become famous and successful, Like I guess it's the new American way for some and I'd say the majority of the people that are hating on it or probably just jealous, and you know, I get it, but you know it at some point.
Speaker 4: Liked and Ross. That's who it is, right, that kid.
Speaker 3: Yeah he pulled his offer. But like you know, like talk to like what are we really getting out of that? You know, like bad for the friend. You know, she was just there, but I guess she's taking a friend along.
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, but that's even sad like that, you know, she just.
Speaker 3: Sits there while she does At one point, the friend's going to realize, yeah, I wish I would have been able to cash in from a monetary standpoint like she was. But you know, like one day, the friend's probably gonna have to be here here.
Speaker 2: Let me just tell you how this works.
Speaker 3: Okay, the friend's going to be the one to tell her, Like, look, you might want to read the room. Financially, I'm sure this has been good, but like nobody's laughing with you. They're laughing at you now, and then the hawk Ta girl is going to be like, oh, you're just jealous that it's not you. That's where this energy's coming from. And then they're going to have a big split. Yeah, and it's going to be all played out over social media.
Speaker 4: To be a boxing mask.
Speaker 3: Everybody's going to be covering the fact that the hawk Tua girl and her friend are fighting because to a girl thinks that her friend's jealous that that it wasn't her. And then they end up having a reality show and it's the drama and then like you know, it's the next Jersey shorecast, it's still fifteen years later, milking that whole thing.
Speaker 4: Do you remember her name?
Speaker 2: Haktua? Yeah, Hailey Welch right or is it Kaylee?
Speaker 4: I think it's Hailey.
Speaker 2: It's okay, I knew Welch.
Speaker 4: I just I just love how how it's just still hot too, and you know, like no one will know you're talking about it if you's how old is.
Speaker 2: She don't make me sound like a perverct hell does she think she had?
Speaker 4: I think she's like twenty. I think she's like under legal drinking age but still above like legal age.
Speaker 3: I hate to say, like, there's nothing illegal or wrong with it. She's twenty two, by the way.
Speaker 4: Okay, there you go.
Speaker 3: According to this website, she's twenty two, you know, like twenty two. Clearly I can't. I can't relate to a woman who I still would just view as a girl even though she's an adult. But like, let's be real, Like one of the reasons why that blew up is because she's she's she's attractive, but also looks relatable, Like, yeah, she's the ten that's like not completely out of your world. She's like, you know, instead of being a billion miles out of your league, she's like a thousand miles out of your league, you know what I mean. And I'm not talking about you specifically. I was talking about like the average guy. Like she was a little more she was a little more relatable because she wasn't famous yet. Yeah, and then she started about she started to I mean, if you know what she meant when she said hawk too, and then then you know, then that's why people got, people got, you know, excited about it. But I'm just gonna say this without hopefully sounding like a you know, an old PERV. She hasn't looked as good since she said that, not that it matters, like again, but like I still see her now all the time, and I don't feel like she looks exactly the same interest And it doesn't matter because you know, she's still clearly getting podcast deals and interviewing celebrities and doing numbers, as they say. But like, I don't know, like the intrigue for a lot of people may have worn off, because you know, she's not just some random shike you saw on Broadway that started talking about hawk tua, which of course means oral sex. And you know it was a moment that she capitalized on and it changed your life. What this thing's gotta This thing will run its course before too long.
Speaker 4: I think that's the next thing. You're going the reality show route, and the her and her friends splitting.
Speaker 3: Like I may have just given them good run. I may have just given them advice on how to keep this thing going. I think stage out the beat between you and the friend and and and yeah, you gotta you can't just keep like, hey, I'm the hawk Tua girl, I'm here to talk on a podcast about nothing, and hey I'm the hawk to a girl. I'm going to introduce this musician at his concert, like that'll I mean, I think that's already kind of dried up. There was a I mean I kind of thought she was already done whenever she brought out somebody at some music festival and like there was no reaction, and like it became a national story that like, oh oh, her two minutes of fame is already up.
Speaker 4: I just think in this horny world we live in, Oh it's a horny world, you know, man, that I think the next big thing. I don't think that she wanted to capitalize off what the innuendo was just immediately. But I think once she feels that it's coming down, then that's when like the fan content sites will come in and then she'll be it maybe a little bit of modeling.
Speaker 3: And to be fair, though, I can give her I could you know, I genuinely have a lot of respect for her and her morals and her you know, her her as a person. Not to say that anybody that does this is a bad person, but she didn't, you know, the best way for her to make an insane amount of money would be to get an only fans, like no joke, like that's you said it. It's a horny world out there, and she like it apparently was something that she was repulsed by, which I guess that's probably just her her upbringing and her as a person, So you know.
Speaker 2: She's at least stuck true to that.
Speaker 3: Although you know, when you get when you get, when you get older, and like, people ask how'd she become famous? Well, let me tell you about, tell you about what I said on camera on Broadway to a random person with a phone, and it, you know, because it's not as if she was just oh my god, who's this if she wouldn't, if she would have just been on camera and not said what she said, never gets any traction, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And then have you seen the stuff with the I think like the guy that interviewed her as a little salty, and it's just like, I mean, it was on my show that she said that. I mean, I guess I would kind of be a little you know, frustrated too, because that guy is not getting any sort of love.
Speaker 2: I mean, but he's not entitled to it, is he?
Speaker 4: No, no one is. But you know, I guess when you're thinking of something like that, people are gonna say, oh, she said that on this Bozos podcast or this Bozo's this goofballs taken.
Speaker 3: I mean I think you mean, I feel like you could. I mean, I don't even know, Like what does he feel like he would be entitled to because he's just once more recognition he had, he had a platform, but she did what she did. He didn't coach her up to say that, you know what I mean, Like it'd be one thing if like it was a stage thing and he put it in motion knowing it would take off.
Speaker 2: But that wasn't it. So and yeah, what's 'let me tell you this.
Speaker 3: What sucks for that guy is someone who you know, tries to find ways to always be thinking of new creative content and all that.
Speaker 2: He can't.
Speaker 3: He needs to retire from that game. He won't top that, you know what I mean, Like he's he's only going down. He can't recreate that moment and nothing will even come close to it, which really really isn't a fault check.
Speaker 2: It's just how it played out.
Speaker 3: Oh if it happened on a vibe check, I mean, I don't know, like I can't imagine how that would be that you know, that would be said in in the the course of what we do with viob check stuff, but I don't know. I mean, I think there's there's some stuff from that Louder than Life vibe check that if it got if it got to the right And again, I posted the video from last year's Louder than Life vib check on TikTok. It's so fantastic for you know, And I don't think i'd posted the full thing last year. I think I've only posted like a few different clips from it. But I put it up the week of a couple weeks ago and it had over one hundred thousand views on TikTok in twenty four hours. Yeah, people thought it was people thought it was this year. But also like you know, like you never know what's going to take off. I mean, I'm not surprised that one did, because there's a lot to see there, and it's just like, I mean that that's not why I've not done a vibe check in a long time. But to be fair, I could easily use that as an excuse and say, well, look, you know, I'm not top of that, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Because that was that was something.
Speaker 3: Speaking of good stuff, We're going to talk to doctor Larry beIN's of Pro Reaf Physical Therapy. I hate that he's that his lead in was us talking about talk to a But you know, I'm sorry, Larry, but we're going to talk to him. He'll join us, and we will let him be the professional grown up of the show, because that's what he is.
Speaker 2: He's a pro.
Speaker 3: He's doctor Larry beIN's of Pro ref Physical Therapy. I'm going to try to find a way to get him to, you know, not give us any inside InFocus. He can't do that and I would never put him in that spot.
Speaker 4: But there's some.
Speaker 3: Injury issues with Louisville football, and what we know is not much. It's pretty vague. But all I do know is that at Quincy, Riley's healthy and able to play. That changes a lot of things for Louisville. But again, it's been pretty hush hush on his situation, on his status when it comes to injuries. So we'll talk to doctor Ben's on the other side, don't go anywhere. It's coffee and Company. We are fuel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine.
Speaker 2: Day Coffee and Company.
Speaker 3: Rolling along here about halfway through on a Friday afternoon, as we get you set for the weekend, a beautiful friday here in Louisville, Kentucky, and we now bring in a special guest. It's doctor Larry Benn's of pro reapp Physical Therapy. Doctor Ben's, how we doing on this Friday afternoon.
Speaker 5: We're doing super getting ready to roll into a great weekend.
Speaker 3: Let me ask you this, when it comes to the Louisville football injury situation, there's some guys that are dealing with injuries that honestly, fans, myself included, don't know a whole lot about it, and we're not entitled to know.
Speaker 2: Right it's it's it can be private.
Speaker 3: But there's some guys that if they're healthy in their back it could make a big impact for this team that certainly needs to get a win on Saturday. But when it comes to Quincy Riley, clearly one of the best players on this team, future NFL player, I believe he's been out for a couple of weeks, and Jeff Brown earlier this week mentioned that it really comes down to when he's comfortable enough to play. I look at that as an encouraging sign that he's that he's getting closer. But maybe that's just me, you know, wishfully thinking on my end with Quincy. I mean, when you hear it being kind of a lower a lower extremity thing, and they're kind of just monitoring, and he hasn't been ruled out for a game. It's been questionable game time decision, but we're we're all still, you know, impatiently waiting to see him back on the field.
Speaker 5: I agree, So as best I could tell, it looks like a right, you know, sort of a foot or an ankle injury, because he was clearly limping during parts of the Georgia Tech game. I would have to say that that I think, you know, his phrase, while frustrating, is probably the correct one. He has to get comfortable with the uncomfortable meaning that it sounds like it's in a position where it will do no harm by playing, which he generally thought it was a good thing. But at the same time, he has to be able to tolerate move and be effective as a starter. If this is injury causes him to not be as effective because he can't run as fast, he can't make the cuts and so forth, then he's not going to do the team, you know, Justice. I think the Notre Dame game was interesting, is the best I could tell. I think it looks like he almost reinjured it a bit there, and you know, didn't play much in Georgia Tech. And you know, we'll see, we'll see going forward. We certainly need him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And when it comes to athletes that are in that position to where especially they've never been in that spot before, where it comes down to just kind of getting I guess, more comfortable being uncomfortable, knowing that you're likely not going to reinjure it, but you all, you know, you're also going to be dealing with some clear discomfort. I mean, that's that's going to be a process for athletes who've never done that before.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: It doesn't mean that they're not as you know, as able to deal with some pain, but like that, you know, I would assume when you're trying to kind of feel that out all because you're not going to be doing it in practice and potentially you know, not being as fresh for the game.
Speaker 2: I just feel like it's.
Speaker 3: One of those moments, Larry, where as a fan myself who just wants to see my team win and wants everybody to be healthy. That's a component I haven't really thought about. It is like, hey, yeah, he might be able to go, but if he's sixty five percent, it's only going to do a disservice to the team.
Speaker 5: That's exactly right. I think you have these college athletes generally, it's not the kid or the athlete that wants to be held out, it's their condition, and so between the sports medicine staff and the coaching it's their job to decide whether sixty five percent of Quintin Riley is better than one hundred percent of our backup. You also have to obviously protect them, make sure they don't get hurt again, those kind of things. The difficulty here is he's a defensive back. If he was an offensive lineman, it's a whole lot easier to play with a foot and ankle injury than it is. You know, somebody has to make cuts and tackles and things like he has to, So you have to at this period of time, you just got to rely on your sports medicine team and your coach working together with the student athlete and see what happens.
Speaker 3: Doctor Larry Bins a prori of physical therapy. Is our guest joining us here on Sports Talk seven ninety this May. This is just when I saw this story earlier, I wanted to make sure I brought it up to you, just because I'm curious of your of your your response to this, if this is if this is anything or not. But in the NFL, one of the best young receivers in the league, Elak neighbors for the New York Giants. He's going to miss a second straight game with a concussion and it's become sort of a TMZ type story, and of course it's made its way all across the Internet and the sports world as well that despite dealing with concussion like symptoms keeping him out, he was at a concert recently. And you know, the New York media is having a field day with that, claiming that if he was so hurt and so, you know, if he was struggling so much, then maybe he wouldn't be hanging out at a concert. I mean, is this one of those situations where you know, him being not cleared to play the game of football, dealing with the concussion symptoms, like he can still live his life. It's just it's not the same thing as going to a Concert's not the same thing as going out there and playing football, which is a very violent sport every single play.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's interesting, I did see that. Here's what I would tell you about concussions is that they're highly individual and personal because you're talking about the brain, and so the variances are the rule, not the exception. The NFL has a very strict concussion protocol, which is, you know, effectively a set of guidelines that players have to go through in numbers of steps, including sort of an initial evaluation and ongoing evaluation. Then they do a stage to return to play, meaning no contact. Then there are allowed to participate in contact, and every stage of those they're monitored for any symptoms of concussion. So if him being at a concert tells me that he must be in the part of the protocol that they're not concerned with. In other words, he's progressed healing wise to a level they don't seem to be really concerned. But it certainly did catch the social media and the world by a little bit of surprise, because you know, he's a much needed player, just like the gwenton Riley for us that we were just talking about.
Speaker 3: It may be silly, maybe silly, but I know that when you are in the spotlight as a high level athlete, rather it be college or of course professional, and you are dealing with something that is keeping you out and there could be some noise out there and you can't control what people say. That's you know, that's completely out of your control. In fact, your best to just not pay attention to it. But when it comes to the sports medicine side of things, is there any kind of conversation with athletes, and not to say that they need to, but maybe, like, would it be a bad look knowing that I can't play if I'm out seen doing this? That's no way to live your life. But obviously, you know, the little things like this could turn into something being a big story. That could just be, you know, a negative look when it comes to p I mean, I wouldn't think that if you're hurt and you can't play, you would need to talk to the staff about, you know, the perception of what you're doing, how it makes everything look. But you know, that may be a terrible question. But when you mentioned that whole thing, I just that first thing that came to my mind is that are these athletes aware of what people may think, you know, they are enable to do because they're not playing football or basketball or whatever sport.
Speaker 5: Well, let's unpack this a little bit. I think you bring up one point, which is that transparency is there, right, it's one of these lives or under a microscope, particularly with phone cameras and social media. Yeh, when an athlete is heard in the NFL. Remember, these are professionals, so these are compensatory injuries, meaning they are effectively on workers comp. Under workers comp, there are restrictions. Oftentimes players have additional contractual limitations. It's not unusual, for example, to see a player's contract where they can't ride a motorcycle or jump out of airplanes in a parachute. Those are just sort of, you know, ridiculous examples, but good exact. What we don't know about a protocol for the concussion is does exposure at a concert with high noise levels risk long term brain damage? That's the fundamental question here, and I would say probably for the most part no, But that's certainly a conversation that the athletes should be having with their sports medicine staff, the neurologist who's involved and others who have to carry them through this very staged protocol. Keep in mind, the NFL had very very high settlement dollars on concussions, and so they're very very disciplined, strong rigor in regards to concussion, as you see from for example, the Miami quarterback to.
Speaker 3: A yeah, and you know, it's one of those things that the whole question as far as and again those things maybe if those conversations are being having in private, as far as what a what a concert could do to somebody dealing with the concussion symptoms, it's one thing, but you know, it becomes a public story if you're you know, I kind of feel for these athletes at times, because you're right that when people have their their phone on them with a camera at all times, it's just it's, you know, you've got to be careful and any little thing could could be portrayed as something that's just not you know, not legitimate. But another injury in the NFL that really isn't that relevant. Because my colts, Larry, they're bad, They're really bad. They gave the Jaguars their first win last week, and just you know, I'm a sad Colts fan, but Anthony Richardson. He's been out with what's been called an oblique injury. He missed the game against the Steelers in Week four and then missed Actually the injury was suffered in Week four against the Steelers, but he missed last week's game against the Jags. It sounds like right now he's going to be a game time decision. When you hear oblique injury, we think in I mean, is that just mid section? I mean that could if he's game time decision. I assume it's just something he's nursing, something that doesn't appear to be super severe. But then again, he's one of those guys that they could probably sit him out just to make sure he's totally healthy, because Flacco may actually be a better option for him to win right now.
Speaker 5: Oh no, it's exactly right. I think. By the way, don't I don't feel too bad for you and your cults think of me and my Cleveland.
Speaker 2: You're right, you're right, Hey, hey, perspective perspect major issues. Yeah, perspective is appreciated. You're right.
Speaker 3: I'm glad you said that, because that that that makes me realize that you know, it could be worse.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry.
Speaker 5: To say that, Larry, No, that's exactly right. I mean, I think he is taking the majority of of reps. He's limited. You know, he is listed as questionable as you well know, the NFL has this, you know, has this protocol that they follow. Colleges are now starting to follow it. It's not the same definitions, so those of you who play fantasy football can rely a little bit more on the NFL's definitions than those who you know, bet college football games and and go by the nc double A or the particular teams protocols. But yeah, he's listed as it's like a mid section injury, so think of an abdominal strain you know, where that manifests itself in a quarterback is obviously you know, throwing the ball in particular and running, so you know, you do take protection. You know, you can get pads and things, but at the end of the day, does that restrict you from doing your job? So I suspect he's going to be fine, and then leaving him out longer has a lot to do with, you know, how the team progresses throughout the season. It's still early, Nick, don't get too you know, don't get too riled up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I guess. I guess it's true. And to be fair, the division isn't super scary. But whenever you give the Jags their first win, when they look as if they were potentially going to be on track to be the worst team, it's just it's it's a little deflating. But you're right, there's a lot of football left, and you know it could always anytime you say it couldn't get worse, that's that's an invitation for it to get worse. So I'm gonna try to believe in the in the power of positivity. Speaking of positivity, Larry, I was in chart at the last couple of days for the ACC basketball tip off, the media days, and I was around Javon Hadley and Chucky Hepburn had him on the show and had Pat Kelsey as well. And I know you, of course, are very close with the folks that you have. L I think this team is going to be you know, hopefully they win a lot of games. I think they will. But these guys, man, it's just it's refreshing to see a group of people from top to bottom, players, coaches, everybody.
Speaker 2: That you know.
Speaker 3: Not only are they are they eager to get the season started and have success. They are so they're so happy to be at Louisville, and as a Louisville fan, with the hoops program struggling in the last few years, it's just, you know, it's it's been very refreshing to see people who are here thinking like, hey, this is an awesome place to be And I know you, you know, I know you're a big supporter of Pat Kelsey and his team, but I think we're going to be in for a really fun basketball season this year. This team's gonna be fun to watch, and I think these guys are going to be really relatable to this fan base.
Speaker 5: No, absolutely, and oftentimes you know, the players take on the personality to coach or the coaches in this case, high energy. I think the team is showing an incredible amount of maturity in terms of, you know, lots of them are going to be one year players for us, and so they're trying to adopt a cardinal for life mentality. I've had the privilege of going to a couple of practices. They practice with incredible intensity, yet they're together that's drilled into them around you know, Pat Kelsey's ABC's with you know, c being the community and you know, being together as a unit, and that's thegetherness that they have. It is just exciting times for Louisville fans. I firmly believe that the product that they're going to put out there is going to make us very very happy. Will they win all their games, obviously not, but they're going to be competitive and they're not going to go down without a strong fight.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: One of the one of the national guys that was there over the Wednesday when we first arrived, he'd been able to see a practice, I think it was in the last couple of weeks, and he'd said that the team really is a reflection of Pat Kelsey, which I feel like, if you're a head coach, there's got to be nothing that makes you feel better than that.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 5: That's absolutely right, and I think you know that's his style. You know, one story I like to tell everybody about him that's pretty well documented is College of Charleston last year was in a very similar situation that we were in this year, meaning he had been the coach there already and had an incredible, most successful season they ever had, and then he had to rebuild his entire lineup from scratch with nil and everything else. This was last year at College of Charleston. He was able to do it incredibly effective. Comes to Louisville and what he has put together. You know, he's gone through that learning curve. He understands the culture and who's you know, if there's going to be a potential bad apple, he wasn't taking them. And he you know, carefully crafted. You know, this team piecemeal together, and boy, it sure looks that you know, they got that right, and they've got the culture and they certainly have the enthusiasm for the university as you alluded to, as well as kind of understand the fans.
Speaker 2: Yep, whenever you go thirty one and four, sixteen and two in league play in the portal era, there's going at a place like Charleston, there's going to be there's going to be guys who move on to the higher level. And what did you do? The next year?
Speaker 3: He came back and he won his league again, won twenty seven games. And I can definitely tell that there was a there was a type of player that had certain intangibles that he was seeking when he put this roster together. Guys that are versatile guys that are mature, guys that will buy in. And you know it's not just about going out and seeing Okay, well, this service has this guy as the fifth best player in the portal of this position. Certainly, you want guys that have talent, but they got to be able to fit what you want to do. They got to be able to kind of buy in. And you know, we'll see. You're right, you know, they may they're not gonna win every game, and who knows, we have no clue what the results are going to be. But they're going to play a fun style and I can't wait. Man, I'm still hopeful that football season gets you know, this team bounces back on Saturday against Virginia. I'm hoping that they will. But basketball's got me excited. But you know, we'll see. We'll be here before too long. But Larry, I've kept you too long. I certainly appreciate you making time for us as always. Enjoy your weekend, my friend, and we will talk soon.
Speaker 2: Thanks buddy, bad take care of go cards.
Speaker 3: That's doctor Larry Ben's pro rehat physical therapy. Always appreciate him making time for us.
Speaker 2: Quick break.
Speaker 3: We'll come back on the other side. And we will wrap up the four o'clock hour. Don't forget though, we're taking you up till six o'clock.
Speaker 1: So now back to coffee and company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 3: We are wrapping up the four o'clock hour here on a Friday afternoon. Coffee and company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety knit Coffee. That's me Austin alongside today producing in place of the company man. Who's he's he's here, he's just down the hall. He's producing terry miners. I kind of feel like he got called up to the big show, you know what I mean, Like, you know, he's like a triple A guy getting called up to the big leagues.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean he's actually doing he's he took the crown of company man back from me this week because he told me that they wanted them to work a twelve hour shift today from just just producing morning all the way up to the very last one.
Speaker 2: What did he do it?
Speaker 3: I guess I don't think he did Okay, but that's a lot of hours one else. Yeah, but if anybody was going to do it, it might be him. He's the company may as well. All right, let's talk about Jefferson Animal Hospital. So when it comes to your pets, you know, they may seem fully healthy, and hopefully they are, but you should always get him checked out every now and then just to make sure there's not something going on that you know, you could you could get ahead of early that you don't have to worry about down the line. That may be, you know, a little too late for you. I hate to say that, but I think if you have pets, then I'm sure you you have been in that situation before.
Speaker 2: Maybe you know someone that has.
Speaker 3: So Jefferson Animal Hospital you can give him a call anytime any day, Babo two nine hundred pets. You can get more information at visit at Jefferson Vets dot com. And you know, I keep making sure everybody's aware that that's who you need to turn to when it comes to an emergency with your pets.
Speaker 2: And that's the truth. They've been around since nineteen eighty.
Speaker 3: They been in business for forty four years with a doctor on site every single day, night, holiday, even Christmas. Because they're there for you in case something happens to your pets. But it doesn't just have to be an emergency. You know, I'm sure there's many of you listening that you just assume your pets are in completely, you know, perfect.
Speaker 2: Health, and maybe they are, but maybe they're not.
Speaker 3: And it never hurts to get them looked at and get them checked out, just to make sure that they're that they're good, and you don't want to, you know, it's not something you want to risk, right, So again, Bibou, two nine hundred pets is the number if you want to give them a call, and you can visit Jefferson Vets dot com. Again, it is the Jefferson Animal Hospital on outer Loop. All right, So we're gonna fitish strong here in the five o'clock hour. A lot of college football games to of course discuss. I mean, I said it yesterday. I'm not gonna not going to backtrack or a lot of you. I've been pretty checked out on the college football stuff this week, just because this past week was kind of the It was a gut punch for LOUISLL football as a fan, like they can still end up having a good season if they get some things turned around, but I kind of got to see it before I believe it, and I'll enjoy college football regardless of what happens with Louisville. But like I need to know, am I just going to be gearing up to just enjoy the madness, enjoy seeing how the twelve team playoff works out in its first year? Or am I going to be watching Louisville not necessarily saying they've got to go to the playoff, but am I going to be watching the rest of the way. Feeling is if they can still have success, win some games and finish strong. Tomorrow really feels like a day where we're going to figure out which way this is going, one way or the other. Also, we'll talk some hoops on the other side. Five o'clock hours wide open. If you want to give us a call, you can five two, five' seven one seventy nine hundred. It is Coffee and Company and we are fueled by Thorntons right here on Sports Talk seven ninety