Speaker 1: Minnesota. Goodbye, Let's get started. Kristen writes in and says, I was listening to Monday's episode and laugh when Dave spoke about doctor Harder, because my wife goes to a doctor, and I believe it's a woman. Her name is doctor Harder, and so I just, of course, because I'm, you know, a twelve year old boy with a sense of humor of that kid, doctor Harder, Doctor Harder, Doctor Harder, and it makes me laugh. So, Kristen says, I currently run a surgery center in San Diego and one of my urology surgeons is named doctor Dix. D I c k s. I always wanted to ask if the name led to them picking that surgical specialty or is it just a coincidence doctor Dix. I mean, think about it. If you're growing up with a name like Mike Dix, then somebody would be like, you ought to become like a urologist or.
Speaker 2: A porn star one or the other.
Speaker 1: Ooh, I'm I'm glad, you know, because porn star's uh number one. At some point you're going to be embarrassed because your kid's going to be like, yeah, everybody knows you're a porn star. And also one day you're gonna get old and they'll be like, oh yeah, look at that. Didn't you meet a porn star? Jenny? True story? You met a nineteen seventies porn star somewhere, Dave who told me this story. I know Viking's game or a Twins game or something. You met his seventies porn star.
Speaker 3: Oh, I did, And now I don't remember what the story is though, you just like unlocked a random memory.
Speaker 4: I don't know the story.
Speaker 1: Sorry, that's okay, maybe it'll come to you sometime. Next email is for Jenny. Jenny, I love an W. They are crazy. Those boys you work with, they know I'm saying. The reason this came out because we did the fast food brackets and Jenny wanted to put ann W in there is one of the Tasty sixteen and we did not include it because we couldn't include everybody, and Jenny was a little bit bitter about it.
Speaker 3: I was just feel like there were certain fast food restaurants, like I've never ate out of Popeyes. I'm not I know it's in the top two right now, but I'm not a Chipotle person.
Speaker 2: You're not a chipotlet.
Speaker 3: I mean, like I would fuck with it. I would, But I'm just saying, like, I don't choose to go to Chipotle. If you put that up against ANW I'm going to ANW.
Speaker 1: You know, I kind of get that. If I'm in the food coort, I get I like anw Okay, So here's a little behind the scenes thing. So I'm in Colorado and I do the show via the Internet and it works fine until it doesn't. Then it's like I sound like this and it's very frustrating. So we tried to reset it and the connection seems to work, but then you know, it's kind of like slow Wi Fi. But I don't know why it doesn't work very well. I know radio shows all over the country that do their show remotely. Sometimes they don't even come into the radio station. They just do. I know a guy who works in Las Vegas, good friend of mine. He does his show from Seattle, like six months out of the year, and they have no technical problems. They have no It works seamlessly, And I don't know why our we have trouble with ours? Do you think I don't. I don't know if it's Do you think it's because you're ugly day or well, that's cruel, but you know it is a possibility.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, I I want to pick up your voice.
Speaker 1: I don't understand it. I don't get it. I don't know if we have antiquated equipment or or what. I don't know. But let's move on to the next email. This is Becky again. Now, remember she wrote a few weeks ago about her sister who is dating another married man. Oh, yes, we said, we remember that. She said, I don't know what to do. I don't know what to hand, how to handle it. And I think I said, well, just step back, pull yourself out of that relationship a little bit. She said, I took your advice. For some weeks, I stopped replying and communicating with her. Then I left her a voicemail let her know my feelings towards the situation. Anyway, our relationship is damn beyond repair. However, I'm glad others could validate my feelings on the situation via group therapy. At this point, my entire family has met this man, and I will soon meet him at my brother's wedding. I'm not sure how I should act or treat him. What do you think? He is still not divorced and it's living with his wife and child. It's truly going to take everything in my soul to be the bigger person and not make a comment or face at him. Love you guys, do not make a scene, Do not make a comment. Just it's when at the end of the day, it's not your problem, m hm. So don't make it your problem. I know it sucks, and I know it's very tempting to be you know that person, and there's nothing wrong with feeling the way you do. But I don't make it any more of a problem for you because right now it doesn't affect your life.
Speaker 4: I would disagree though, because I can go ahead.
Speaker 3: I think it can affect your life because you don't want to be surrounded by shitty people you look at like your inner circle of friend Those people are a reflection of who you are. I wouldn't want that person in my circle. So I do think it does affect her life. I agree to not make a scene. She shouldn't be like going out and calling out the situation in front of people. But I also can see her point of view of like, I don't want to be around this person.
Speaker 1: No, I totally get that, but I think that it doesn't really, I don't know. Don't make it more of a problem for you than it needs to be. Let's say that I knew that Bailey was dating a married man, I'd be like, Bailey, you can do better than this. But Bailey, my persuasion is not going to change Bailey dating a married man. So why make it my problem? You know, I love Bailey for what she is, and I might be disgusted and not feel the same way about her, but I don't want to make it my problem.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I wonder if.
Speaker 1: They're dating a married man, you're offully.
Speaker 2: Quiet, not anymore. I wonder if he's separated from his wife and they still live together and they're just not divorced yet. I guess I don't know the I don't remember the details of that.
Speaker 1: I don't either. It sounds like it sounds like it's just openly he's dating, and maybe he thinks everybody thinks that. Maybe he thinks nobody knows. So next one, we were talking about how when my daughter Allison was born, we named her Heather in the womb, and when she was born, we said, that's not Heather, that's a new baby. So we named her a different baby's name, Alison, and I got a letter from Hannah who said, basically, that is exactly what we did. So the email is is a little bit detailed, but it's really interesting. So they changed the baby's name from Pace, which was the baby's name in the womb, to Mac when the baby came out.
Speaker 2: I cute Mac.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's got great names for the babies. She's got four babies, Duke, Mac, Leona, and Minna as in Minnesota.
Speaker 2: Oh, I like Leona. Leona's really pretty too.
Speaker 4: Is it spelled am i nne am I n na?
Speaker 1: So if you spell that m I n n e, they'd say any.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's what I say.
Speaker 1: I think so they're saying Minna, Hannah, thank you. And she put adorable pictures of her kids on there too. Here we go with somebody who wrote this a couple of weeks ago, and we did not answer it. So we'll get there. They're persistent, you guys. Jamie wants to know Number one, Dave, I missed the banter between you and Fallon. Would either of you ever do a show together again or a podcast episode? It would be fun. Never say never, But I don't see it happening in the future. This is the thing with Fallon. She grew so much when she got to KTWB in twenty eleven or twelve, she was just like an inexperienced, you know, little growing, budding baby DJ and then on our show. Our show has done this for many, many, many people, and I'm really proud of this when our show has helped people develop and you know, everybody from Lena to intern John to Chrisco to Angie Taylor have gone on to become big deals. Fallon included. So she doesn't need me anymore. So I don't know that that would ever come about. But if she ever approached me and said, hey, do you want to do this, or I ever said to her, yeah, we might, but I don't see. She doesn't need me anymore. It's kind of like your kid has grown up, you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: A that make you sad?
Speaker 1: That makes me sad? That doesn't make me sad at all. No, Fallon's doing great on her own, so and it's kind of like a kid that's you know, like left the nest. Next okay, next one. What is Zach Dillon's role on KATIEWB? Now I sometimes hear him on the weekends, Jenny answer the question.
Speaker 3: So there is somebody who actually schedules our music. So he is still the music director, so he's in charge of everything that you hear that plays on the radio. He is in charge of that. But then he also does still do some on air shifts on the weekends, so him and I actually rotate on Sundays. We're both either one of us is on three to six or the other one is on every other Sunday.
Speaker 1: Number three, How does the Night Girl Kayla record the show? Is it a recording or is it live? I know you say it's syndicated. Can you explain what that means? Thanks for all the inside Baseball appreciate you all. From Jamie, I can help, but I might need a little help with this. So it's not syndicated. There's a difference between syndication, which is where they take your show and they air it as it is in another market live. That is syndication. So for example, like Ryan Seacrest is not syndicated necessarily because he's not live in the midday show. Elvis Duran, on the other hand, is syndicated because his show is live in New York City, where it originates, but it's also live in you know, Memphis and Colorado Springs and Denver and Chatta Nucci and all you know what, it's all a Rooci injury Gotta Ucci. Yeah, so that's a syndicated show. Kayla's show is bill admirable because she's good enough to be voice tracked in another market. Explain Jenny really simply what voice tracking is and the difference between syndication and voice tracking.
Speaker 3: If you hit play on something and you recorded yourself talking, it all just goes into a system and then it goes and plays on its own later in the day. So she can basically pre record whenever she can to do the show, so it is not happening in that moment while she's out in La and it's airing on katiewb Okay.
Speaker 1: Now, that's voice tracking, and it's still honorable to be chosen to be voice tracked. But there's a big difference between syndication. Like if they took our show and our put our show live in Duluth and man Cato and Des Moines as it's live here in Minnesota, that is syndication. If they took little parts of our show and replayed it in Des Moines or in Duluth. That's voice tracking, so still cool. But yeah, no, Kayla's really good and that's why she's chosen to do other cities. And she probably does like a dozen other cities around the country.
Speaker 2: She does.
Speaker 3: I just thought she added on some more, so I'm pretty sure. Yeah, she does about a dozen.
Speaker 2: Dang Vant does a handful too, He does some.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but see, but vont doesn't claim that he's syndicated. He is a voice tracker, but at the same time he's good enough that he is being voice tracked on like other markets. I don't know what markets. But otherwise, how does he how does he do that? Does he just go in the studio and like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he voice records it.
Speaker 1: Okay, there's different systems.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's different systems that they use. It's called custom and that's getting into the nitty gritty of radio. But there's different kind of systems. He used to be able to make him much simpler than just like happy to go to every radio station and say the same break yeah five times over.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah. Right. So yeah, radio changed a lot. It used to be every radio show was live all the time, everywhere, but then technology came in it's kind of like automate. So the radio industry said, hey, we can save a ton of money by not having an all night DJ or a nighttime DJ. We'll have somebody voicetrack it from another market. Oh okay, Bailey, I was listening to today's podcast and I couldn't help but empathize with you when you were sharing your experience about your best friend. I too lost a best friend and the friendship ended in twenty eighteen with no reason. My intuition said, maybe it's because I was in a relationship and he didn't like my new partner. We're married now, but it still hurt because it was just there one day and then done. The friend also did the same thing to another friend, and so now our three musketeer trio of friendship is now just a dynamic duo. It hurts when there's no explanation. But from what I've been hearing about your life on the radio, it sounds like it's more her loss than it is your loss, and low key. If you want me to do some online stalking or sleuthing, let me know.
Speaker 2: Well. Thank you for reaching out. In general, it seems like a lot of people have the same experience, which is a bummer for me or just to hear, because I don't think I've not heard about like my personal friends going through the same thing. So I don't think people really talk about it when it happens to them, because I know we definitely get on kind of the path of saying, hey, if you have a bad friend, drop them, and like power to you, which like I totally get, like power to you, drop your friends if they're being toxic to you. But I do think in general, I mean, if since it's happened to me, I would have really appreciated an explanation. And I think even if your friend is toxic, they I mean respectfully deserve a like an explanation of why you're dropping that, because I would feel better if I had an explanation. Because she she also blocked my mom, I assume she blocked my sister, but I'm still friends with her mom and her sister, so I wonder if she cut out like a lot of people like her family, and I mean, since we were friends for so long, she was my family, so like, I don't really know, And it's really nice when people say, like, well, she's missing out because you seem so fun and like, yeah, for sure, but she was my whole world. So like I, it's really hard for me. And she's not necessarily like a great person for doing this to me, and I recognize that, and she's just in general kind of sand papery, but that's her personality and I learned how to deal with it over twenty years and she was still everything to me. So yeah, it's a bummer and I will probably be in the dark for the rest of my life. I do have some people who are still friends with her, some mutuals, and I told them to just keep tabs on her because I do want to know when she gets married or if anything big happens in her life. I just want to keep tabs on her.
Speaker 1: Get take care Dad, Yeah, yeah, I get that. Yeah that sucks. When you said you think about her every day multiple times, like that really hit home for me because I think we all have somebody like that, Yeah, that we think about a lot. Jenny. Yeah, thank you for being the glue that holds this ridiculously funny show together, because without you it would probably wouldn't be as good. Even though Dave always says the show will go on no matter what. I'm young enough. I'll still be listening when Dave eventually tells us he's leaving for greener pastures, even if it's another thirty years from now. So I will look forward to Jenny in the Morning Zoo making its second debut on the radio.
Speaker 2: God, imagine Dave, like super Old still on the radio. He's like one hundred and seven.
Speaker 4: It's got a life.
Speaker 3: He wants to live Still, You've got a whole other life ahead of you.
Speaker 1: I do. I think that there's you know, I mean, I've been doing this show for so long and it's been such a wonderful experience and such a blessing. But at the same time, does any one job deserve more than thirty two thirty three years of your life? You know there's a defention I want to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, are you going to work in like a fishery? You think after this, like your sun Set job?
Speaker 1: The term is hatchery, your hatchery. Hatchery.
Speaker 4: I thought it was fish fishery. I knew what she was talking about.
Speaker 1: Fishery. It's a hatchery.
Speaker 2: I think you could be a fan.
Speaker 1: Yes, we're I'm going to be wearing a big rubber pants and getting in the pool with the salmon and feeding the salmon.
Speaker 2: And having them mate with one another, and you have to force it.
Speaker 1: Now you're making me horny.
Speaker 4: So you're going to take part of farm raised salmon?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 4: Wow, wow? You disgusting?
Speaker 1: Why is that disgusted to watch?
Speaker 3: I watch Fresh because you're putting them in environments that they didn't choose to be in, making them hats.
Speaker 1: Well, they also didn't choose to die, so whenever you eat something, you didn't choose to die, so.
Speaker 3: You're at least they got to live their life in the wild. I only eat wild salmon.
Speaker 1: You don't know that.
Speaker 2: You don't know wild catching the salmon sheets, I use big old pause a bear.
Speaker 1: Anyway, the last paragraph of this very wonderful email, thank you all for making the show what it is. If I couldn't listen to the show, I don't know what I would do with myself. Sorry for the long read, but I appreciate the content nonetheless, and that comes from Chris in Miami, So thank you, Chris. I really appreciate that, So thank you very much. Next email, Hey guys, it's from Cessna. He says, it's been forever since I've emailed, but don't worry I still listen to every show and every Minnesota Goodbye. I want to talk about an app that I've been super into lately. I want you guys to check out. It's called Too Good to Go, Too Too Good to Go. This app helps reduce food waste by allowing businesses to post a mystery grab bag of day old goodies, a bunch of gas stations like Circle K, but tons of other businesses pop up all the time. The selection constantly changes, can be anything from restaurants, bakeries, butcher's coffee ops, candy stores, anything you can think of as a possibility being on the app. I live in Nashville, so I'll have a different assortment of options, but there's even a mushroom store in my area. I wanted to raise awareness for this app and recommend to everyone, no matter where you live, to check it out. If your area doesn't have a lot, when you download, give up, keep checking a couple of times a week and see what shows up. I've included some screenshots of my Nashville options, so here's one. I don't know exactly how the app works, but you can come by and pick up day old vegetables or mushrooms or food or baked goods for a deep discount, a deep discount, not free, but a deep discount. For here's one, for example, a place called Molly's Cupcakes. You could pick up but looks like a dozen cupcakes for eighteen dollars, but they've reduced the price to a five ninety nine. Now here's one Meatville, which sounds interesting me, Meatville population me. You can pick this pack of meat up for five ninety nine. Really interesting. I don't know anything more about it than you just heard right now, but I will repeat the name of the app again and you might want to check this out. Too Good to Go, Too Good to Go.
Speaker 4: I used to have it. I like it app downloaded.
Speaker 3: I don't think that it was available in the Twin Cities yet, so because I had heard about it honestly, probably like a couple of years ago now. But now it looks like it does work in the Twin Cities because I just re downloaded it and it looks like there's a So you do have to pay for the food.
Speaker 2: It's not just free, yeah, it just makes sense discounted, yes, yeah, So like.
Speaker 1: I wonder you have to claim it? Like if Jenny and I both go oh I want those muffins. Do I have to claim it and then run over there, because I can't. You know, you can't just say, oh, it's there and then forty minutes later go by and expect it to be there.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So no, you can reserve it. So right now, it's a surprise to she beg from sushi train which I've been to the one. It is the one in Outtown. So it's nine ninety nine. It's had originally thirty dollars on it, but nine ninety nine for a surprise sushi bag. And you can hit reserve. It looks like there's two left, it says, So it looks like you can hit reserve and then you would be able to go get it.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 1: That makes sense. Hey, check it out. I don't know anything more about it than what you just heard, but that's a SESSNA. Thanks good to hear from you, and I love the variety of stuff that we get on the Minnesota Goodbye. I think this is one of the cool things about this podcast. Last email, longtime listener, first time writer. I feel the need to share with someone. A few weeks ago, you guys did a segment about what to say to a friend who's going through a miscarriage. At that point, I was about seven weeks pregnant with my first child, and I had heard my baby's heartbeat for the first time ever a few days prior. Listening to that segment about miscarriage, I got this horrible feeling and I started hyperventilating and crying at the thought. And I'm sorry. I had to turn the radio off because I couldn't compose myself. Oh, don't apologize. I don't know why. I've obviously heard miscarriage talk before, but it really hurt close to home at that point. Fast forward to this past Monday, and I learned we lost our baby. Oh, I'm so sorry. Weirdly enough, they discovered that the baby. The day the baby's heart stopped beating was the day that you did that segment about helping a friend through a miscarriage. I don't know if it was a subconscious feeling on my part, assigned from the universe, or what, but I will never forget that moment. I am currently sitting here devastating and angry that my husband and I are going through this, but I'm trying to remind myself there is nothing I could do. My friends and family have all been very supportive, and I'm currently torn between wanting people to reach out and not wanting to talk, but also wanting to scream and cry and rant to the world. Grief is overwhelming and i feel permanently changed, and I'm terrified this could happen again to me in the future. But I'm trying to take it one day at a time. I love your show. It's been comforting to listen to you these past few months to have a sense of normalcy. If you have any advice to get through grief, I'm all ears. I'm going to tell you my story that doesn't even compare to your story of losing your baby, but I will tell you that when I lost Josie last weekend, what I really appreciated was people reaching out, not once, but again and again. Because my friends would reach out, and I love my friends. They would reach out and go, oh, my gosh, I'm so sorry about Josie. How are you doing? And that was wonderful and very comforting. But when a friend would reach out again later in the weekend, or later in the day or three days later and say, hey, I'm checking up on you again, are you doing Okay, that really was comforting, like consistent, consist And so I don't have any advice for you, but I would say, if you know somebody who has suffered a loss, don't reach out just once, reach out again and again. Though.
Speaker 2: That's something that I definitely really care ask for too. So if somebody does say something to you, like what can I do for you, like asking for consistent check in checking in? Why is yeah? Because I don't know either. I don't really know how to. I'm really good at compartmentalizing, so like I deal with grief in a way where I just say, okay, well I'm going to go do something else. But that's not something that everybody can do.
Speaker 1: It's not always the best thing. Yeah, and you know, whatever works for you, and we all have our different ways. But again, I'm so sorry, and you know, maybe remind your friends, hey, you know what, check on me again and again because that really does help. Yeah, okay, and that's really going to do it. For the Minnesota goodbye. There's a couple that we didn't get to. But I still need more, always looking for more. And we love variety, you know what we don't want just skittles. We don't want just skittles. We want m and ms. We want an almond Joy, we want a milky Way. We want a heath bar once in a while. So if you got a weirdo topic that you want to bring up, send us that heath bar. Oh my gosh, analogies.
Speaker 4: Heath bars are only good in blizzard. Stop with the heath bars.
Speaker 1: I don't agree with that ideal. That's that's the beauty of it.
Speaker 4: He can get stuck to your teeth.
Speaker 1: That's the beauty of it because you enjoy it for a good fifteen minutes. You're too dull, You're so dum okay, I'm quirky. Bailey's quirky is rubbing off on me, and we gotta make it stop, all right?
Speaker 3: That is it.
Speaker 1: Send us whatever is on your mind the heath bar of the day. We'll look for that tomorrow morning. We'll see you tomorrow on the Minnesota Goodbye. Send it to Ryan Show at KDIWB dot com.