Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: App k f I and kost In HD two Los Angeles.
Speaker 1: And Orange County.
Speaker 3: And yours Amy.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's five o'clock straight up. Time to get up, get your day started. This is wake Up Call for Wednesday, October sixteenth. I'm Amy King. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Dodgers back in action tonight. So excited for that, except for the part where I don't get to watch the game because it's on FX one again. The last two games were on Fox. This one's on fa our FS one and so I could watch the last games during the other series. I got the free Fubo trial for like seven days, and it said it's seven days and we'll let you know before it expires. Well they didn't, and I remembered and went and canceled it and said your card is going to be charged at one fifty seven this afternoon, and I did it yesterday morning. So I've canceled that. So I didn't get charged the sixty or eighty bucks or whatever it was for Fubo Live. But I don't get to watch the game. Oh, I can listen on the iHeartRadio app at a five seventy LA Sports. Also another big thing happening today, VP Harris having a sit down with Brett Baer. It's her first sit down interview with Fox News ever. I'll be watching that. That's at three o'clock. But right now, here's what's ahead. On wake up Call, A person wanted for shooting a worker at Santa Mona College, San and Monica College is dead. The least from several agencies surrounded the person that we're looking for in a car on Aviation Boulevard yesterday and Hawthorne. A gunshot was heard. The person was found dead inside Pollice say this was not a random shooting of the college worker at Santa Monica College. It was targeted family of convicted killers, Eric and Lyle Menendez. I've traveled across the country to advocate for the brother's release from prison. It'll happen during a news conference today in La Da. George Gascone's office is reviewing evidence to determine if the now fifty three and fifty six year old brothers should be serving life sentences for killing their parents. Bidding for Shohei Otani's fifty to fifty baseball caught by a fan in Miami last month, is up to one point seven million dollars. The auction closes October twenty second. A little later this hour, at five point twenty, we're going to be talking tech with Rich Demiro. If you're a fan of twob you could be getting some cash back that's always good. And how YouTube can help you get to sleep. Yeah, I'll be needing to pay attention to that one. Disaster always bring out the best in people, but they also bring out the worst. ABC Jim Ryan says the scammers have come out in force following Hurricanes Helene and Milton. We'll be talking more about that at five point fifty. Amy's on it coming up at the bottom of the hour. I'm on a quirky little show on Apple TV. And just because part of the title says it's bad, I think it's pretty good. That's coming up again at bottom of the hour. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour news room. Police in Santa Monica say a man suspected of shooting a coworker at Santa Monica College killed himself during a standoff in Hawthorn. Swat trucks pinned the guy's car on Aviation Boulevard yesterday. Officers say he shot himself. The man was wanted in connection with the shooting of a custodian at the college on Monday night. This student at Santa Monica College says, the whole thing is unnerving. What kind of person were they employing.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's kind of jarring knowing that somebody capable of that is.
Speaker 1: Was on campus. Billy say the man had a history of arrests, including attempted murder in twenty eleven, an assault with a deadly weapon involving a weapon involving a firearm. Rather in twenty nineteen, the son of a photojournalist murdered near Mount Baldy in the San Gabriel Mountains as doing court for allegedly killing his father. The La Kenny DA's office says the nineteen year old man is scheduled to be arraigned today on one count of murder. The La County Sheriff's Department says Christian Lowe was killed on Saturday. A man scene driving away was later arrested and identified as Lowe's son, La has welcomed an Olympic delegation from Paris to help get ready for twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 4: The Parisian group was presented at La City Hall just before starting a week long series of meetings and presentations for the next Olympic host. City Councilman Paul ker corey and congratulated the French capital on its twenty twenty four games and said even doubters in Paris were brought on board.
Speaker 5: You could feel that Parisians had an uplifted morale, a great sense of what their city could accomplish.
Speaker 4: When twenty twenty eight rolls around, La will join Paris in another distinction along with London as the only cities to host the Games three times.
Speaker 6: In downtown La. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: The National Retail Federation says holiday sales are expected to set a new record this year. The federation says sales could rise as much as three and a half percent over last year, hitting about nine hundred and eighty billion dollars. Analysts say last month's interest rate cut could have helped lead to the higher expected holiday spending. We're waiting on Giordana Miller to connect with us from Israel. We know there's some delays sometimes because well she's calling from halfway around the country world. Oh wait, she is there. Okay, it's there, she is. Good morning, Jordana. The Biden administration has a new warning for Israel as it's continuing to try to root out Hamas in Gaza. What's at stake here, Well, the.
Speaker 7: You know, the supply of weapons and military aid for Israel is at stake. It's a pretty severe step that the United States has taken. We can assume it comes after this essions that the Americans had with the Israelis, except they didn't see any real changes on the ground, and so they put their demands into a letter with the looming threat of a weapons embargo if Israel doesn't improve the situation and get more humanitarian aid into Gaza, and the Americans have given Israel about thirty days to make a real change. You know, if we look at what's happening in the Gaza Strip and especially in northern Gaza, there has been a significant drop and aid getting in and there's you know, many many reasons for that. The Israelis aren't entirely to blame, but they do control the crossings that go into Gaza. The crossings have been closed for seven or eight of the of just the days of this month because of various Jewish holidays, the anniversary of October seventh, and even if even if AID came in, there was still a major problem with distributing the aid, the UN groups actually getting it into the hands of people that need it. And if you look specifically just at Northern Gaza, it's been a disaster over the last few weeks because Israel essentially relaunched a ground incursion into north parts of northern Gaza and it's almost you know, impossible to get AID in when there's major combat going on and it will focus has really been on the north. So there's been a lot of complaints from UN groups that they haven't been able to get in enough trucks. There hasn't been safe passage for the trucks to get to people who need aid, and the United States basically said we're fed up with this. You know, you need to make major changes or you know, you might we're not going to be able to supply you as military aid because we'll be in you know, in contravention of American law.
Speaker 1: Right, So Jordana. If the US stopped giving pretty much full support to Israe, what's at stake? I mean, can Israel got alone or do they? Can they not fight the war without the funding from the US.
Speaker 7: I mean, Israel would be able to fight for a little while, but not not for the long game. You know, they are dependent on American military aid, and Israel no position right now to put any of that aid at risk. Right, I mean, just look at what's happening in the region. The war in Gaza is not over. They're still fighting in northern Gaza. The war in Lebanon, the undeclared war against Obala, has just started. Right. Israel has a ground incursion into southern Lebanon. They're bombing Beirut and north of Beyrout. They've made significant gains against Hasbala in the last six weeks. But let's not you know, we cannot we can't overstate that Hasbala still has thousands of thousands of mid, short and long range missiles, some of them precision guided. Right, you can't take out Habala's whole arsenal in four or six weeks. Right, there were one hundred thousands was the last estimate at least, so that fighting is going to go on for some time. And then look then if we zoom out, we're waiting for Israel to strike Iran after Iran fired one hundred and eighty ballistic missiles on Israel. And that is even if Israel sticks to the military targets and doesn't touch the oil fields or the nuclear site, still Israel's going to hit Ran with a significant attack and that's going to likely draw another reprisal from Iran. Right, so there's a lot of a lot of theaters in which Israel is fighting and it can't put any of it, any military aid from the US at risk. So you know we're going to see, you know, we're going to see Israel make some changes. It looks like try to really boost aid in. There's only about fifty or sixty or seventy trucks that have gone in on average this month, and that's you know, that's a fifty percent drop or more. You know, there should be about two hundred trucks going in and again fewer even fewer getting into northern Gaza. So you know, we're gonna have to watch and see what the Israelis do. But they are taking this seriously.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And then also on the other end, like you said, even if or when Israel does increase the aid and start sending more trucks in, there's no guarantee that the palaestin name people get it.
Speaker 7: Right. Well, that's an issue that you know, the UN has to also deal with the World Food Program, the World Health Organization, the NGOs that are under the UN or US umbrella. Those organizations have to distribute the aid and that is complicated because not only because of Israeli combat in northern Gaza now, but there's a lot of lawlessness in the area because the police used to be part of Hamas and Israel's targeted and taking the police out. So Hamas is there. Hamas is stealing some of the aid. I mean, that's clear. Yeah, they're they're they're they're stockpiling it in their tunnels. They're selling it at you know, exorbitant prices to normal gobsins, so you know, dealing and there's a big bully on the streets. I mean, who who's you know, the UN has to deal with, you know, Hamas as well as they try to navigate this. So it's a complicated picture and it's been a persistent problem distributing the aid, So we're going to have to just see what Israel does and hopefully the UN also will work more closely with Israel.
Speaker 1: All right, Jordana Miller, thank you so much for the information. We appreciate it as always. Okay, texting a Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Lawyers for Shawn Combs have asked a judge in New York to force prosecutors to disclose the names of his accusers in his sex trafficking case. The lawyer said Combs needs to know in order to prepare for his trial, which is said to start May fifth. Combs remains in jail, having been denied bail twice, with a third request pending. Judges so far have concluded he's a danger to the community. The Orange County DA says a candidate who's on the ballot for Fullerton City Council is no longer eligible because of felony charges.
Speaker 8: There is nothing more important to American democracy than the integrity of the electoral process.
Speaker 2: Orange County DA spokeswoman Kimberly Ed says Scott Markowitz attested under penalty of perjury that he witnessed the thirty required signatures for him to be eligible.
Speaker 8: Signing his name saying that he did all those things to qualify for the ballot, when in fact he did none of those things.
Speaker 2: It says if Markowitz is elected, taxpayers would be forced to pay up to seven hundred thousand dollars for a special election for an eligible candidate. Markowitz was charged yesterday with two felonies and including perjury in Fullerton. Corbin Carson kf I.
Speaker 1: News A ballot measure in Santa Ana would let non citizens vote in city elections. Measure DD on the November ballot wouldn't go into effect until November of twenty twenty eight if it passes. Supporters say about a quarter of the city's residents are not citizens, but still pay taxes, own property, and have businesses in the city. Critics say the idea could spiral into unforeseen consequences. A judge in Georgia has blocked a new rule that requires state election day ballots to be counted by hand after the polls closed. The ruling yesterday came a day after the same judge ruled county election officials must certify election results by the legal deadline. The rulings or wins for Democrats, liberal voting rights groups, and legal experts, who have raised concerns that allies of former President Trump could refuse to certify the results. More than one hundred people in Nigeria have been killed by a gasoline tanker truck that exploded. Least fifty others were hurt. At least say the driver had lost control when it crashed overnight and dozens of people were trying to scoop up spilled fuel when the truck exploded. Some people who attended the Deadpool show at California Adventure Park are upset with his jokes. Some of them referenced sexual innuendos, grinder drugs, and took jabs. Even at Disney Senterpool was.
Speaker 4: Late because he had to read every single page in the terms and conditions when he signed.
Speaker 9: Up for Disney Plus.
Speaker 1: Storytime at Deadpool is based on the Deadpool and Wolverine movie, which debuted as an R rated film. One person said the show was disgraceful and highly inappropriate. Others loved it, as crowds were heard laughing during the show. The Chargers take on the Cardinals this Monday, kickoff is at six o'clock and it's going to air on Alt ninety eight to seven, one of our sister stations brought to you by Hoffey by five. Get five dollars off on any Hofey products at your local Southern California Food for Less. Chevron says it's disappointed makers have passed a new law requiring oil companies to maintain gasoline reserves. In a statement, Chevron said this is an example of political decision making that ignores the realities of the market. Chevron executives say they think the new law could lead to higher prices for drivers in California, Nevada, and Arizona. Kids who get coronavirus are more prone to getting diabetes. A new study published in the Jama Network Open shows children are fifty percent more likely to get type two diabetes in the first six months after contracting coronavirus. The study shows the risk is much higher for children who are obese. Tom Brady isn't getting out of football anytime soon. He's gone from player to commentator and now to owner. Brady has been given the ok by NFL team owners to buy a five percent stake in the Las Vegas Raiders owners approved it yesterday. It was held up for months. If he decides to get back in the game as a player, he would have to sell his stake in the team. At six oh five, it's handled. On the news, a guy accused of threatening female workers in North Carolina is speaking out. We'll let you know what he's saying. Right now, let's say good morning too. The host of Rich on Tech on KFI KTLI tech reporter Rich DeMuro, Good.
Speaker 6: Morning, Rich, Good morning to you. Amy.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we have new things that aren't so great because they ignore old problems. Apple's new iPad Mini is out.
Speaker 10: Yeah, that's a great way of putting it. So the iPad Mini, a lot of people like it because it's nice and small. This is the new seventh generation, and so of course they put a new processor in much faster, a seventeen pro ready for Apple Intelligence.
Speaker 6: Whenever that comes out in the next two weeks or so. Let's see what else. Screen size day the same.
Speaker 10: Oh, they also made it faster with the Wi Fi. If your router supports that, it's four hundred and ninety nine dollars. They increase the storage by double, so it's one hundred and twenty eight gigs, so you can actually store some stuff on here. But the one thing they did not change on this little tiny iPad is the screen, and that is the biggest issue. So I bought this a couple of years ago and I returned it within two days because if you're looking at the iPhone all day, it's a really clear screen, and if you look at this iPad many it is not clear.
Speaker 6: It looks like an old school iPhone. So they didn't fix that.
Speaker 1: So it just needs like a higher resolution.
Speaker 10: Yes exactly, and so without that, I can't recommend this. I have to see this in person, but I'm really confused as to why Apple did not change that. Yeah, because it's literally keeping me from getting this thing, because I want a tiny iPad that I can use as you know, books and magazines and videos on the plane.
Speaker 6: But this is not it. For five hundred bucks. They needed to fix that, you know what.
Speaker 1: The other thing that I think is a problem with the iPad compared like because the kindle you can read and it doesn't get all glary on you, so you can read it outdoors and in different lights. The iPad has that, I don't know, the reflection on it or something. You don't see it as well you can, and you can't adjust the screen to make it like good for book reading.
Speaker 10: Yeah, one hundred percent. And I think that that's a huge miss with Apple because the technology exists. There's actually another tablet I tested called next Paper from TCL, and that's what it does. It switches from the standard screen you watch like a movie on to a more Kindle like screen.
Speaker 6: It's not perfect, and you know, but it is.
Speaker 10: It is that technology exists, and so personally, for that reason, I'm still using on the plane my phone and then a regular old kindle because I still think that's the most distraction freeway of reading and also easy on the eye, especially us. You know, ninety nine percent of people are on their screens all day, so nice to get a break from that.
Speaker 1: Okay, except that you know you're supposed to turn off technology before you go to sleep, but now you're saying that YouTube can actually help you go to sleep.
Speaker 10: Yeah, the irony of this, I'm now, I will admit I'm pretty much one of those people who like checks their phone right before they go to sleep, and for better or for worse, because if you see an email that needs something, you think about it all night long, so I can't recommend that. But this is a new feature on YouTube. They have added a sleep timer, so if you can't get enough of YouTube all day long, you can now.
Speaker 6: Fall asleep to YouTube.
Speaker 10: This used to be a premium feature, so you had to pay for a premium account to get this. Now it is available to everyone, and they have a bunch of other little improvements too to the app.
Speaker 6: But I thought that was pretty funny. But here's a deal.
Speaker 10: My kids everything is YouTube to them, so when they listen to music or news or anything, it is all just YouTube is their first search, so it's they don't go to the traditional channels. It's really interesting, so I think this is aimed towards people like them.
Speaker 1: Well, can't you just put the sleep timer on the television television?
Speaker 6: The kids don't want to watch television. They're on their phones and.
Speaker 1: I just watching YouTube on their screens. They're not watching it on TV.
Speaker 10: Well sometimes on TV. But my point is it's, you know, we're in a whole new world where it's like, you know, the first thing you might do when you get to a hotel room is turn on the TV. Kids, you know, not like we did that with our kids once. They couldn't believe it. Like they're like, wait, stuff just plays all day long, like on this TV. I'm like, yeah, Disney Channel just like literally just plays stuff one after another. They were like so entranced.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: Okay, us, speaking of new technology, we might not have to share business cards anymore. I always liked business cards, but I get that they're obsolete.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 10: I still think business cards are the easiest way to share when you're out and about, because I'm at a lot of conferences and I've tried the digital cards and it's really tricky because it's just this anyway. Instagram of course putting their take on the digital business card, and you can access this on your account right now. If you go to your profile and then you hit share profile, you'll see this new little fancy business cards show up. It's like two sided, it's got a QR code on the back, It's got your picture on the front along with your little bio. And the idea is that you can either share this to someone via text, whatever, or they can scan the QR code on the back. You can also share it to your story on Instagram. I don't know why you'd need to do that. I did it, but just to test it.
Speaker 6: But it's there, okay.
Speaker 1: And is it just to share your Instagram information or is it to share your your phone number and your email address and that kind of stuff too.
Speaker 10: As far as I can tell, there's no way to put that information on there, which yeah, I mean you could you let's see, Yeah, I don't see anywhere to put my phone number email. You can put it in your bio, I guess, but that'd be kind of weird because everyone on Instagram wants to see it, so don't think you want to do that. I like popol popl. If you want a proper digital business card, I think that's the best one out there.
Speaker 6: Popl Okay.
Speaker 1: And for to be fans, you might be getting some money.
Speaker 6: Yes, thanks for the heads up on this one. I guess.
Speaker 10: Maybe you've got the email, but we get there's so many class action lawsuits. People don't know if they're like real or not. But yes, this one is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I sent you that email saying yes that I might be eligible for money.
Speaker 10: Twenty million dollars. This is the irony of this two b is free. It's completely free. And now they've got to pay twenty million dollars because they collected people's information and allegedly gave it out to third parties without their consent. So if you use Tube between June twenty third, twenty twenty one and August twenty sixth, twenty twenty four, you can get an equal share of this settlement fund.
Speaker 6: So go to the website. Let's see what is it? Video Streaming Settlement dot com?
Speaker 1: What if I am sure if I used it?
Speaker 10: Well, if you got the email you used it, you must have signed up at some point, because you know they send these emails out to everyone on the list. So I did not get one, which is interesting because I thought I had a two B account, but maybe I didn't sell.
Speaker 6: Lets it pay more techy than you, more to B than may.
Speaker 1: I know more to be? Okay, one last question for you. We were out doing some video stuff yesterday and.
Speaker 6: No you get around. It's amazing. I love it anyway.
Speaker 1: Okay, So on the camera on my iPhone and it's a sixteen?
Speaker 6: Yes, sis, Nancy?
Speaker 1: Is it a s No, it's a fifteen. Sorry, it's a fifteen. There is a way to pause your video, but my camera doesn't have it. Do I just need to do an update.
Speaker 10: Yes, you got update. So they added this in iOS eighteen. This is a feature that I've wanted forever, been on Android forever, now it's on iPhone. You can pause video in the middle, so not when you're watching, but when you're recording video. So if you want to, instead of having seventy five clips, you can have one long video of your kid playing baseball or basketball or whatever and pause in between the shots.
Speaker 6: So update to iOS eighteen to get that and it will show up.
Speaker 1: Now here's my dumb quest. I'm so not tech. You guys know that already. Where do I update it? I thought I had automatic updates on and I don't see that i'd need an update.
Speaker 10: I don't believe it will do an automatic update to the next iOS. So when you go into general and I had this question yesterday, there are two software updates now from now on. The big software update is down at the bottom of the screen, and then the standard software update is in the middle of the screen as typical. So if you want to do the big update, which is eighteen, go to settings there and then General Software Update, and down at the bottom it will say iOS eighteen available and do I.
Speaker 1: Want iOS eighteen? Do we all want it?
Speaker 6: We do?
Speaker 10: If you want the pause, Amy, we've got to make decisions. If you want the pause, you got to go with iOS eighteen.
Speaker 1: Well there's other updates too, right, but it's still right now.
Speaker 6: Oh there's a lot. Yes, there's a lot of updates.
Speaker 10: I mean it's going to change every You're going to ruin your whole day if you do it right now, because you're going to be playing on your phone all day.
Speaker 1: I promise I won't do it right now. Rich Demiro as always such great information. Thank you so much. And you could get more great information on all things tech with Rich Dmiro Saturdays eleven to two. It's the rich on Tech Show right here on KFI. You can also follow Rich at rich on Tech and where do where's your website again.
Speaker 6: Rich on Tech dot tv? Check it out, sign up for the newsletter.
Speaker 1: All right, Thank you so much, Rich Dmiro.
Speaker 6: Thanks Amy, have a great day, all right you too.
Speaker 1: Vice President Harris says she's going to win the election that is now less than three weeks away. In a radio town hall with the Breakfast Club host Charlemagne the God, Harris says it's going to be a tight race, but she'll win. Harris is doing her first sit down interview with Fox News ever this afternoon at three. Some healthcare workers in California are getting a pay raise starting today. Governor Newsom signed a law last year that will gradually raise wages for the lowest paid healthcare workers to twenty five bucks an hour. The pay increase was delayed several months because of state budget issues. The Dodgers are sending Walker Bueller to the mound tonight for Game three of the National League Championship Series at City Field in New York. The Dodgers and Mets series is tied at one game apiece. First pitch goes out at five oh eight, at five point fifty. Remember mister Rogers always said that when something bad happens, you look for the helpers. Well, ABC's Jim Ryan says, also look for the scammers. I'll tell you about that, Amy.
Speaker 5: It's on, It's on it.
Speaker 1: What am I on? H I'm on the stream. Lots of movies, lots of documentaries, lots of TV shows. So much to watch. How do you know what to watch?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 1: I take recommendations from friends, and sometimes I give recommendations like right, now I'm going to so and hopefully it'll steer you in the right direction to either go and binge a really great show or pass on a show that's not so hot. This show is Bad Monkey. The name denotes bad, but I think it's pretty good. It's on Apple TV. Plus the full series is out now. The finale just dropped last week, so you can watch the whole thing. Now. You know the Apple does it where they release the first two and then they do it one by one, So if you've waited, now you can see the whole series. This is a pretty fun show. I should have known that I was gonna like it because it's from ted Lasso. Co creator Bill Lawrence said, it's not at all like ted Lasso. It's adapted from a best selling novel called Bad Monkey. Vince Vaughn is in it. He plays detective Andrew Yancey. He lives in the Florida Keys, and he was a detective but apparently he screwed up pretty bad and so he got canned and now he's like a health inspector and that's kind of funny in and of itself. And then he finds this severed arm. This happens early on in the first episode, so I'm not giving anything away, but he is determined then to solve the mystery of this severed arm and maybe get his job back. Meredith Hegner, who I was like, how do I know how? How do I know her? How do I know her? She also comes from the Hallmark universe. But she's great. She's Eve Stripling. She's a gal who comes from nothing. She finds her basically her golden ticket, and then she becomes somebody who at the surface looks like this lovely, adorable sweet and you quickly find out that's not her. But what a fun character to play. That's Eve Strippling. And then Zach Bramf, isn't it. You might know him from Scrubs or maybe T mobile commercials. He plays a doctor gets involved in some dirty business. There are some twists, and there are turns, and there's some prizes, and when you put Vince Vaughan into the middle of all of it, it's pretty funny and it's a good ride. If you're a Vince Vaughn fan, you're gonna love his character Yancey. And then you add in a little island dark magic and some really interesting side characters. And you've got a really compelling show keeps you coming back for more. What I don't know after watching the finale even is whether there's more story to tell. There may be, but it hasn't been renewed yet, at least the last time I checked, it hadn't been renewed, so I don't know. But even if it's not, If this is a one season thing, it's great. It's a lot of fun. Like I said, it's not like ted Lasso, but it's it's shot in a way that sort of is reminiscent of that. But it's a little bit darker but also very funny. So again, it's called Bad Monkey. It's on Apple TV. Plus. I'm on it. I think you should be too. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Members of Eric and Lyle Menendez's family are set to hold a news conference in LA in support of the brothers, who are serving life sentences for killing their parents. The family is hoping they will be re sentenced after spending thirty four years in prison. The DA was reviewing the case based on new evidence of the brothers being sexually abused by their father, Jose and Kiddy Menendez, were murdered in their home in Beverly Hills in nineteen eighty nine. They were shot multiple times at close range. The possible merger between Kroger and Albertson's has been formally opposed by the La City Council.
Speaker 4: The city council's vote is largely ceremonial but voice of support for any federal attempt to block the grocery giant's merger. Councilman Tracy Park says the twenty five billion dollar d yel would eliminate competition, raise prices, and possibly cost jobs.
Speaker 1: As you all know, our grocery stores really are community anchors.
Speaker 11: They serve countless families, seniors, and residents, and they provide pathways into good, middle class jobs.
Speaker 4: The merger has been tied up in court, but Kroker says it's necessary to compete with Amazon and Walmart in downtown La.
Speaker 6: Michael Monks KFI.
Speaker 1: News Israeli airstrikes have killed at least fifteen people in a town in southern Lebanon. The country's Civil Defense says the bodies were recovered from what was left of a building, and that rescuers are still going through the rebel Lebanese officials say an airstrike about twenty five miles north killed a mayor and four others in a city building during a meeting to coordinate relief work. Israel also hit Beroot's southern suburbs early this morning, for the first time in nearly a week. The Biden administration is warning Israel it has to do more to address the humanitarian crisis in Gaza.
Speaker 9: Has the first US troops arrived in Israel equipped with those powerful anti missile defense systems. The Biden administration with a major threat, saying if more is done in the next thirty days to improve the situation in Gaza, future military aid and transfer of weapons could stop.
Speaker 1: ABC's James Longman says the US is demanding Israel off for more protection for civilians, especially in northern Gaza. Also gave him a timeline. They've got thirty days to do it. After twenty years at the Oakland Zoo, Osh the elephant is headed to his new home at a sanctuary in Tennessee. He'll be reunited with his mate, Donna, who was moved to the same sanctuary last year.
Speaker 12: We looked at a lot of opportunities could we bring elephants back to Oakland, but really at the end of the day said he could move to the Elephant Sanctuary as well, be there close to Donna, but with other African elephants as well.
Speaker 1: Zoo CEO Nick de Hagia says the move also brings to an end the zoo's seventy five year old elephant exhibit. Some zoo visitors say they're okay with that.
Speaker 5: I'm sad, but no, he has worked to a sanctuary where there's other elephants and he could be in a hurt situation makes me happy.
Speaker 1: Ash weighs fifteen thousand pounds. He's going to be made making the forty hour journey journey to Tennessee in an air conditioned trailer. He'll then be free to rome in his three thousand acre new home. The Oakland Zoo is the forty first zoo in the US to close its elephant exhibit. A person wanted for shooting a worker at Santa Monica College is dead. Police from several agencies surrounded the person in a car on Aviation Boulevard yesterday afternoon at Hawthorne. A gunshot was heard. The person was found dead inside Santa Monica Police Chief Johnny Adams says the shooting was workplace violence, not a random act. The Pentagon says more than eight hundred military personnel have had their service records upgraded to honorable discharges after previously being kicked out of the military under its former don't Ask, Don't Tell policy. The Pentagon estimates about thirteen thousand, five hundred service members in total were affected by the policy. Parts of the US are going to be feeling more like its winter rather than fall. Over sixty million people are under some type of breeze or frost alerts. It's like seventy five or eighty here all the way from the plains to the East coast. More cold air is making its way south from Canada. That could have millions seeing their coldest day since spring. Temperatures in Chicago may not top fifty today. We're just minutes away from Handle. On the news, the Menendez brothers are back in the spotlight as family from around the US converges on LA. Right now, let's say good morning to ABC's Jim Ryan. So Jim mister Rogers always says in a disaster, look for the helpers, and the helpers have come out in droves. But now Hurricane Helene and Milton survivors need to look out for the scammers.
Speaker 3: Right the helpers and they're hurters. If you will, you've probably seen that image. I mean it's just awful. I mean what these people are going through. The little girl holding her poppy and she's just traumatized. She's been through Hurricane Helene and she's finally getting rescued. She's got a life vest on, and that she's in a boat and just heartbreaking in who wouldn't want to help out that little girl. The problem is that the puppy, the boat of life as the little girl. None of it's real. It's all AI generated that particular image. It's been spreading across social media like crazy. Yeah, totally cooked, I mean, made out a whole cloth on by artificial intelligence. There are other images. The picture of Cinderella's Castle at Disney World flooded, you know, these floodwaters inundating Disney World in Florida by Hurricane Milton. That wasn't real either. Picture of President Trump trumping through waist high waters after he visited Georgia not real.
Speaker 1: Well, no, Trump's not going to do that.
Speaker 3: Well it was you know, and who knows why that was put out there. I assume it was a supporter of Donald Trump. But his clothes are dry, even though he's standing in waist high water. His clothes are dry. The person with him has a weird ball cap on, and Trump's hand has only two fingers. I think you got to look carefully at these images to see if there were And by the way, you can go to Google Images, do a search and see if any of this is a real fake. Current might be something from somewhere else in the world. Some of the hurricane video that was being posted was from years ago in the Philippines.
Speaker 1: There was something that I saw one of the last hurricanes where they showed the destruction at Disney World again this think, and I was like, oh my gosh, that's horrible. And then Nick Pauli o'channe goes, nah, that's from some old abandoned amusement park somewhere else from years ago. And it might be the same one that you're referring to. But you've got to be careful with that.
Speaker 3: Well you do that one. By the way, the Disney picture was if not created by then, at least amplified and put out there on social media by Russian state media. So what end who knows knows why they would do that. Well, part of it maybe this, you know, anything to undermine the country, right and to create division, because if people see these images, they see the little girl with the poppy in her arms, and or they see Disney World flooded out there, you know, and then they find out those images are fake, Suddenly you get very jaded. You don't want to help out.
Speaker 6: You say, forget it.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to donate. I'm giving them money away to nobody or to scammers.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 3: That's part of it, I think, is to sew this doubt and then sew division.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you're talking about the AI images that are showing up on social media. Are those just making the rounds or are people trying to raise money off of them?
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, some of them apparently are being used for fundraising efforts, but not legitimate fundraising, you know. The yeah, right, FEMA's not going to put out images like that and try to raise money because that's not what FEMA does. And if you get an email from FEMA or a text saying please donate to FEMA so that we can help out storm victims, it's fake because that's not what they do. So let's say, of your own volition, you go online, you want to donate the Red Cross. That's a rapidable organization, right, So you jump on to American red Cross dot com and find a place there to make a donation. You send off fifty bucks. Well, your fifty bucks is gone because that's not even the real website. It's Redcross dot org. Right, You just have to do a little research, be a little vigilant, be slightly skeptical, but you know, try not to give into the inclination just and not help at all.
Speaker 1: Right, And you mentioned that like FEMA wouldn't reach out and try to get you to donate. Are there other like red flags to watch for?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, with any kind of scam, if you get an email or attached to you know, see where it's coming from. First of all, don't click anything inside there. But if it's coming from FEMA dot com or if the Federal Emergency Management Agency is a federal government agency, it would be dot gov first of all. I mean that's a tip off that this is fake, the of where it's coming from, because you really can't rely on Well, it's got the female logo there, it's got the logo on their email.
Speaker 1: That doesn't mean anything anymore, No, it really doesn't.
Speaker 3: That stuff's easy to fake. It's troubling and you know, disheartening to see how this is working against people who have good intentions.
Speaker 1: Well, so with everything else, caveat mtur right, let the buyer or the donator in this case, beware watch out because they do need our helpt Oh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely. And you know the problem with all of this is that you get exhausted, right, first of all trying to backtrack and figure out if something is real, and then believing.
Speaker 6: That it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, Jim Ryan, thank you so much for the information. As always, you're helping us not get scammed.
Speaker 6: I like that.
Speaker 3: That's all I can see.
Speaker 1: All right, I have a good day, see Amy. All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Hiring is to but applications are up. At the Los Angeles Police Department, officials told the Police Commission hiring is down eight percent in the last two years, mainly because of bottlenecks on background checks, but the number of people applying to become police officers is up by fifty three percent. There are currently just under eighty eight hundred LAPD officers. Ella County health officials say two more cases of dengay fever have been confirmed in the Baldwin Park area. They say the cases in Panorama City and Elmonte do not appear to be related to a cluster of three other cases that were found in the Baldwin Park area earlier this year. Officials say none of the local patients had any history of travel to areas where dengay is endemic. One more person has died in the multi state listeria outbreak link to Deli meets Connecticut. Democratic Senator Richard Blumenthal says he hopes the Agriculture Department's internal investigation will produce some answers.
Speaker 5: Not only the failings with respect to inspection of the boor's heads, but also more broadly, whether the United States Department Agriculture inspectors are doing the job.
Speaker 1: Federal health authorities say the number of people who have died from the outbreak is at least ten.
Speaker 11: Those seeds were flown around the moon.
Speaker 1: Wait, let me start that over again. In elementary school in Lake Forest is planted a Sequoia tree using seeds that were flown around the Moon. Now it's Chris's turn.
Speaker 11: Those seeds were flown around the Moon twice on NASA's Artemis one mission in twenty twenty two. Santiago's The Magnet School Parents, Stacy Aguest says the Moon tree will open up a world of science to the students.
Speaker 13: The montry will be the centerpiece for a future Moon garden and that will be student inspired and a place where students can learn about applied physics and also have an outdoor learning classroom.
Speaker 11: NASA says it's not clear whether space traveling seeds have any impact on tree growth, but it's still far out. Chris Adler, kaya FI.
Speaker 1: News moontree, love It Hey. The Dodgers take on the Mets tonight at Cityfield in New York. It's Game three of the National League Championship Series. The first pitch goes out at five eight and like me, if you had to cancel your Fubo free trial, you can listen to the game on a five seventy LA Sports and NHD on the iHeartRadio app keyword Am five seventy la Sports powered by Zenchi Sushi, Fast, fresh and easy Hey, wanted to say one other thing before we leave you. If you were watching the game the other night, when you know, the Mets beat the Dodgers, and you see Mary Hart like at every game because she's right there behind home plate, and you might have noticed that there were these two people wearing neon yellowish green tops standing in the row behind Mary Heart with these creepy smiles on their faces. And it was just weird, right, And there's pictures of it online if you want to go and search creepy smiling people. And I was like, what is that? Well, apparently it's a like a gorilla marketing for a new horror movie called Smile two, which I didn't even know there was Smile one, but they have shown up at other places for the first movie, and so they're thinking that that's what this was again, that it's gorilla marketing for Smile Too. And the sequel premieres later this week. Who knows if we'll see them again, but I will be watching behind home Plate tonight when the Dodgers and Mets play in New York to see if the creepy smiling people are back. This is KFI and kost HD two, Los Angeles, Orange County. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call and if you missed any wake up call like our talk with Rich Demiro. Great segment, lots of great advice. You can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI Am six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.