Speaker 1: Do you ever feel guilty about being inside on a gorgeous day like today? Today is Wednesday, May fourteenth. Do you ever feel bad about being inside and taking a nap or doing something like working on your kitchen Jenny on a gorgeous day, because in the middle of January we pray for days like today. So if I go inside and take a nap or i'm on my phone, I feel bad.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, no, I that's exactly how I felt yesterday because I laid down to take a quick nap, and then I did have softball that I knew I was going to be playing two games of softball outside, so I felt okay about that. But then I also went rollerblading after that because I just felt like I had to take advantage of.
Speaker 3: How never and you did go rollerblading?
Speaker 4: I did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm glad you did. And you don't go with a helmet. We're not going to get deep into that. But you don't ride with a helmet.
Speaker 2: I don't, and I do only ride around the paths around lakes. I don't really go I don't go on streets. I don't go on like anything besides very designated paths. And I'm pretty good at rollerblading. I couldn't tell you the last time I fell, probably when I was learning at four years old, five years old. But no, I don't wear one, and you can come at me for that.
Speaker 3: No, I'm not. There's gonna be no les only.
Speaker 5: I wear one.
Speaker 2: One I bike, I wear one when I snowboard rollerblading. I usually am only going a couple miles around lakes, and I'm not going super fast either.
Speaker 5: I know that, no matter a lot of people.
Speaker 1: But yeah, you know, I'm a big helmet kind of a guy because and again not a lecture, but there was a guy that worked on our show twenty twenty five years ago, and his name was Chris, but we called him Zippy, and he was kind of a character, kind of like a badass, kind of a skater guy. And he was on I think a motorcycle, not wearing a helmet. He hit is on a curb and he went from being like, you know, just a wonderful, effervescent guy. Too, he's in a wheelchair and he barely can speak now. So I'm a big helmet advocate because this guy, again thought he was immortal. He was a typical twenty two year old kid and last time I saw him, he could barely speak, he was in a wheelchair, he was slumped over, but he could still smile. So I knew that Zippy was still inside there. But anyway, just a big helmet kind of a guy. Especially with me. I'm clumsy as fuck, and I know it's eventually a matter of time until I go over the handlebars of my new electric bike, and I don't want to hit my head on a tree trunk.
Speaker 5: Well, geez, how fast are you're gonna be going on that thing?
Speaker 1: I've had it up to I think twenty eight miles an hour going down a hill, which is pretty serious fast on an electric bike, ap really fast. I've got an app and I can tell you really quickly. Here there's an app that comes because everything comes with an app. Now you can get a toothpick, it'll come with it. You get a spatchuel, it'll come with an app. My average speed is ten point nine miles an hour. My max speed twenty seven point nine miles an hour.
Speaker 2: Zoom in. So I think the one thing I do like to measure my speed on is snowboarding. And I think I've gotten to forty six miles.
Speaker 3: Are you serious?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Wow, that's fucking quick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I mean, honestly, not that I talk about him much anymore, but Andrew would get to like sixty miles per hour. That's not fast because he is crazy good at snowboarding and he goes too fast.
Speaker 5: Though.
Speaker 1: Those guys are scary because I've been. You know, it depends on the run you're on. If you're on a black run and somebody's coming by at sixty, or you're on a blue black run and somebody's going sixty, let them. But if you're on a green run and some little thought, I don't mean Andrew.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, I definitely that's not like what we would do. But yeah, I know what you mean.
Speaker 1: But you see some little asshole come by, and it's always like a twenty year old kid coming by going sixty miles an hour in a green run, weaving in and out of eight year old girls who were the first time on skis, and it's like, motherfucker, slow down, stop because it can be it can be really, I mean, that's like hitting the truck. Yeah, at that speed.
Speaker 4: Imagine just like clotheslining an eight year old girl learning to ski.
Speaker 1: No, it'd be just terrible or or me or even worse, even worse for you driver's licenses. Friend of mine, Melanie said, I'm really pissed off. Let me read a text message from her. She said, I need to renew my driver's license.
Speaker 3: I just got this.
Speaker 1: Imn to go and she says, she says, I hate Hennebon County. I need my license renewed, just the regular license, and they only have four DMVs in the entire county to do them. Fucking insane. And I said, can't you go to Hutchinson? She said, not sure if you can renew in the same county where you live or what. I'm just bitching because you should be able to renew a regular license online. Plus they charge forty one dollars for a regular license. That bullshit. Sorry, I'm bitching. Just pisses me off. I said, oh no, you can bitch at me anytime. That's what friends are for. Does anybody know about the relicnsing renewal process?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean you always have to go back in when your license expires, and it is.
Speaker 5: I agree, it's so stupid. I don't get it. You don't have to get read all.
Speaker 2: Actually I do get it. They do test your eyes. That is the one thing that's the test, but it is. It's Yeah, I get it. It's frustrating because I think it's every seven it's year's. I had to get mine renewed last year on my birthday. I think it was Yeah, okay, so I don't have to do it for a while. But yeah, it's annoying because you're basically just sitting there. You have to bring in five million documents. I thought I did it right, and I still didn't do it right. But they allowed me to email something to them that they printed off and.
Speaker 3: I've had that too. Yeah, you're right, I did that too.
Speaker 1: I went down to there's a department bureau whatever in Southdale, and I did not have a document, but they said, if you email this and sign it, we will accept that, and I'm like, thank god.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And the cliche of DMV people is that they're slow, lazy, and rude. I have not encountered that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, me neither.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're usually pretty helpful.
Speaker 5: Very nice DMV people.
Speaker 1: All right, here we go with the emails. Hello, my favorite crew. Kristen back with another random question. What is an article of clothing that you think you just can't wear or doesn't look right on you. For me, it's hats. I got an oversized head and super flat hair, so hats just look super awkward on me, especially baseball hats. Keep on dart licking it up, Kristin, I've never thought about that. I would say a tank top is not something that I would wear because I look like Billy Bob sitting out by his trailer in a tank top.
Speaker 3: It is not my thing.
Speaker 2: You just have a forever farmer's hand, Like it can be the dead of winter and you do have a farmer's hand. So that's why maybe in the summer, or maybe you get a little spray tan, you could.
Speaker 5: Pull it off.
Speaker 2: Otherwise, Okay, all right, I think mine is probably rompers because I do not have the body type for a romper. Basically that's like a one piece outfit.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: I don't have the body type for it because my butt's like too big, so it'll I need like a bigger size for my butt area. But my waist section is like it's I'm drowning in it now, So I do not look good and.
Speaker 5: Like one piece kind of items.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I am a very uppear shaped person, so I would say some like dresses. If it's more of like a fitted body con type dress, it looks weird. So I definitely need an a line that hugs the waist or the rib cage and then just goes out at the end. Because my gut and butt are bigger than my boobs are bigger than my legs.
Speaker 5: They're just I'm just round in the middle.
Speaker 4: So whatever emphasizes that, I'm like, I want to throw it out and burn it.
Speaker 3: I gotcha. Yeah, I think we know.
Speaker 1: There was a woman last I don't want to get too specific, but it was at the gym. And most people when I go to SNAP, they are wearing, you know, very ordinary I'm not here to stand out kind of clothing. And there was a woman who she was younger, she was attractive, She had the long legs and the nice, you know, fit shape, and she was wearing matching like a tank top or a bra top or I don't know what you call it.
Speaker 5: It's probably a crop top.
Speaker 1: And then tight little leggings. And she knew she looked really good. I mean, you don't wear that unless you know you look really good in it. And it's kind of like, you know what, I don't care good for her. I did make a really special effort to ever never ever be facing her so she would never think that I would staring at that. I would do my sit ups or my planks facing the other way. I would did do my squats facing the other way because I never wanted, because I really think that when you're dressed like that, your radar is up for people that are staring at you.
Speaker 3: Would you agree?
Speaker 4: I guess it wouldn't occur to me to think about that unless, like I was wearing something super tiny, but I wouldn't be so. And I think the people who do wear super tiny gym clothes, they're just used to wearing super tiny gym clothes, so they probably don't think about it either. Okay, no, my radar would not be up.
Speaker 1: If you were wearing something super kind of you know, clingy, sexy revealing in the gym. Would your radar be up for people staring at.
Speaker 2: You, Jenny, Yes, But I think my radar is always up because no matter what, I'm always wearing leggings. And I know we talked about this a lot. It's just the fact is I have such a huge ass, and so I'm very used to walking past people and seeing like the side eye that they give me. Yeah, So I'm kind of used to that. No matter what I'm wearing. If I'm wearing leggings, I'm probably getting some people looking at my ass, you know. And I'm i of looking at women's asses too, honestly, Like there's some hot ass people in the gym and I sometime. And I also love a good matching set. So I see one, I'm like staring at that girl just took a.
Speaker 5: Trice fort the brand. Yeah, I know.
Speaker 2: I took a fight class like two weeks ago, and I was like, oh my god, I love your set, and she's like Target, and I was like, what, no way, So of course I went to Target.
Speaker 5: But she was way more fit than me. I would not have looked the same on me.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, I was just very careful to because I never wanted her to look over and go like that guy over there staring at me. So I made it like when i'd passed her, like on the way to the water thing, the water machine, I wouldn't even make eye contact. Yeah, because I just don't want anybody to feel uncomfortable around me except the two of you. Yes, And that is why I don't even have a joke here. I was gonna make a joke, but I don't. I'm not even gonna do it. I told Bailey, I said this morning, I said, Bailey, you're so fucking cute. And the reason I said that was because the video that we did yesterday with the two coffees, it's on our Instagram reel. You were acting and I just said, you're so fucked cute. I was going to send you that last night and say, Bailey, you're so fucking cute, but I didn't want you to misinterpret it as me like being weird. So I told you this morning with a giant caveat, I will never flirt with you. I will never hit on you, so you'll never have to worry about that. That is what the cardinal rule I have where I work is, I don't, well, I have flirted with people.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say, you definitely have a little crush crush on some.
Speaker 1: People, but I'm careful not to flirt.
Speaker 2: Sure flirt, but you definitely, Like there's definitely people we work with where you're like.
Speaker 1: I'll talk about and like I'll talk about them behind their back. Like there's one person here at work that I'm like, I've had a crush on this person for a period of time and uh and they know it and they've never reciprocated at all. So I'm not stupid enough to keep you know, like, you look nice today, I'm not.
Speaker 3: I don't do that.
Speaker 4: That's blouse.
Speaker 5: You got nice blouse?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 1: Our emails coming up on the Minnesota goodbye, all right? This one I had to blow up because the font was so small because I couldn't read it.
Speaker 3: Hello. I love the.
Speaker 1: Show and I email in every couple of months and text it often. Although I have a plane Jane name, and how could you ever remember?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: I see what she means. She's in other words, she's like, you wouldn't remember me because I have a plane Jane name, but she doesn't say what her name is.
Speaker 3: Anyway.
Speaker 1: I heard you all a couple of weeks ago talking about if you could go back to your childhome, and I believe in the past I've heard Jenny reference listening to the two Hot Takes podcasts. So both of these things got me thinking and I would send in my own version of am I the asshole?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 1: So let's see how she ties these together. Long story, short my husband and I bought our house five years ago. There was only one other family who lived here prior to us. The parents passed away while living here and their two children inherited it, so they must have lived there for a long time. So if they only passed away five years ago, to guess the parents lived there a long time. With the now adult children living in the home, it went to absolute shit. For example, even just the yard was horrible. I'm talking about when we bought it, not a single blade of grass in the front or backyard, wild pumpkin and rhue barb growing in the back. We couldn't even walk back there. We have since dug out everything, cleaned it up, brought in literally thirty dump truck loads of dirt, wow, to help build up the backyard again. So it was usable that brings us to last year. It was heavily pregnant in the front yard planting some irises. When a woman walks up to my front yard, I thought maybe she was a delivery person, but it turns out she was the daughter who lived here and was talking about me to me about how her dad would be so happy irises were back in the yard. I talked to her for a bit, then excused myself to keep doing what I was doing. I could tell she was hinting she wanted to go in the house to see all the work that was done. It looks completely different on the inside now also, but I was inhabit it, I was heavily pregnant, two crazy dogs in the house, and at the end of the day, she's still a stranger, even though I could tell she really wanted me to offer to come in and look around. So am I the asshole? Curious to hear your thoughts? Loved listening every morning, dart lick. Now that I'm not pregnant, Okay, No, you are certainly not the asshole.
Speaker 3: I think that you.
Speaker 1: Would have been a little bit more amenable to her coming in had she taken care of and respected the house when she lived there, If she would have kept a nice house, It'd be like, Yeah, you seem like a nice person, but now because you let it become a shithole that you had to deal with, that you had to deal with. No, I would be like, no, And of course, you're never obligated.
Speaker 4: Right exactly. I mean, that's the first thing. You're never obligated to let somebody like, come in and root around.
Speaker 2: But I don't know that she would have rooted around. Well, maybe as she would have if she didn't take care of the house the way that she did.
Speaker 5: But yeah, no, I think you're fine. You're not the asshole. You're a good person.
Speaker 1: I love telling this story because and I've told it before, you probably heard it. But there was a friend of mine who lived This was twenty five is years ago. She lived on Nebraska Avenue over in Saint Paul And this house was built probably in the nineteen forties or so, and this was, you know, again, probably thirty years ago that she was living there with her sister. There was a knock on the door. She opens the door and it's a woman about sixty standing there with a woman who's about eighty five. And the younger woman says, this is my mom. She raised me in this house, and she's getting older and this is where all of her precious memories are. Is it okay? If she comes in and looks around the house that she raised us kids in, now, can you imagine the enormity of that. Yeah, here's a house that you haven't seen in probably, I don't know who knows if the it's hard even say she hadn't seen it. Let's say thirty years, been thirty years since she raised her kids in this house. Wow, And now here she is with her daughter or who grew up there. And my friend said, yeah, absolutely, come on in. It's changed a lot, and some of it had changed and some not. The basic layout was the same, I guess. But the mom, the eighty five year old, said, my gosh, there's just so many memories here. And I totally get that because I walk into my house in Colorado that I grew up in and there's so many memories.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's so many memories in my house that I've lived in now for twenty one years, of my kids being little or younger. Every corner is a memory of something.
Speaker 4: So I love like houses that have like that memory and stuff, though I can't imagine. So, my grandma's house was seven one eight was the address cult so we always called it seven eighteen and my uncle lived there after both my grandparents died, and then he died, and the like city bought it because it was right by view of m campus. It was like the last single family home and walking into it without any of the stuff in It was so wild because I had all of these memories of what it was like and what it used to look like, and now it's gone entirely, like they tore it down and like built a apartment building or something. So I mean, if you get the opportunity to make that happen, like, that's such like a gift that not a lot of people get.
Speaker 5: I remember when my parents for getting a divorce.
Speaker 2: I was so sad because I thought we, like we didn't grow up with money, so I didn't think one of the parents could afford the house we were living in on their own, so I thought we were for sure going to be selling the house moving elsewhere. But my mom was capable of making it work, which I found out later in life. Actually she did struggle a little bit and her best friend had to like borrow her money for a little bit, which I had no idea like growing up that my mom was like not able to afford it by her own.
Speaker 1: I'm glad she did, though she probably did the lot for you and your sisters for sure, to make sure that you had that home and you didn't feel this play the last story and we'll let you go after this one is Jordan, Montana in about nineteen I don't know, sixty ish or so. My grandparents used to live out in the fucking middle of nowhere on a ranch. But then they got old and they had to move into town. So in Jordan, Montana, which is a town of about four hundred people. Wow, it is the most middle of nowhere town that you can imagine. It's eighty miles from the nearest even not even a major city.
Speaker 5: How do people live there in the first place, That's.
Speaker 3: A good question.
Speaker 5: Carry on.
Speaker 1: So we would go there every summer, and she lived in a little house that is just I mean, we spent every summer there and the house would be full of cousins and aunts and uncles in relatives. We just had such a great time there, and she made cinnamon rolls and it always was just such a delightful experience. And then she, you know, she died, She got old and died, and they sold the house to somebody else. And I've been back to Jordan, Montana a couple of times since then, and it looks like just a fucking rat trap. There's cars parked all over the yard, the awning is hanging off. Oh no, it just like there's a porch in the back with sagging railings, and it's like I wouldn't even want to see the inside now, Yeah, because what was such a sweet little home just looks like a shit hole. Now.
Speaker 4: That's my fear for when my grandma dies in Ohio is like, what will happen to her house? Like I assume my aunt will have it, but she lives like an hour away, so like she'll probably sell it. And then it's like, but I went there every single summer just like you did. Yeah, So I'm just not gonna think about it, Okay.
Speaker 1: I mean, Holmes means so much to us. I mean, whether it's the home you grew up in or raised your kids in or whatever. Any stories about that send them to me. To Ryan's show at katiwb dot com. There is something that I promised that I would get to and I did not get to it. So let me try to scroll down a little bit. And this one comes from hold On people saying how they listen to the show, because we asked the other day, how do you listen to the show? Catherine Right, I'm a lifer when it comes to Dave Ryan. My day is not complete till I've heard the entire show. Monday through Thursdays, I listen to the Goodbye while I get ready to take a shower around seven pm. Then I start this show from the beginning when I'm done with a Goodbye. While I take the shower and get ready for bed. I literally have my phone in the shower with me balanced on a towel bets in the towel rack. On Fridays, I listen to that day's episode later in the afternoon, sit to my desk working. I just can't help myself. I find Dave's voice very soothing, so it keeps me calm. Thank you, that's very nice, Jenny writes in I listen every day while at work, so that's really cool. It's really fun to hear how you listen to the show. So you want to send that in. Make sure you do that and we'll see you next time on the Minnesota Goodbye. The address is always the same Ryan Show at kadiwb dot com.