Speaker 1: It's the Jab and Sandy Show.
Speaker 2: And for those of you listening to us on the iHeartRadio app, make sure you tap that follow button and allow your notifications. It's Austin's eighty station one oh three point one. Tricia said something and we were in the car, Me, Tricia and our fifteen year ol daughter's gonna be sixteen tomorrow, Oh tomorrow, sweet sixteen for the fuzz tomorrow. And Jamie, do you know this that Trisha always drives when we go somewhere, like anytime.
Speaker 3: I know you don't love driving. Yeah, we do not do that in my house. Why is that?
Speaker 2: Well, part of it is because Tricia gets very car so and also the other part is that, yeah, Tricia just tells me how to drive when I drive, and it drives me absolutely insane. But I always feel like people are looking at me. They see her driving very kind of not traditional, you know. Yeah, and they got oh, the poor guy probably got a dui. That's what I think they think when they see me get out of the car.
Speaker 1: Either that or they're like, she clearly wears those hands in the fanily right.
Speaker 3: Think people that you don't even know very well, they see you like leaving track practice with your daughter and they're like.
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah, dad gotten Dad lost his license, so his wife's driving nowt so. But she said something that was pretty interesting, just talking about what summer was like for her when she was a kid, and it led us to the question, how would you have an old school summer, but tell everyone what you said about summer when you were a kid.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Landry was like, wow, it's weird. This is the first day of summer. And I was immediately took me back to when I was like, I don't know, nine, ten years old on my grandparents' ranch, which was right outside of Austin, and I would basically stay with them for as much of the summer as I could. And I clearly remember that feeling of waking up in the morning, eating my cereal with my grandmother and then stepping out side and being like, what am I gonna do today? Like, I don't have one single thing planned, I have nowhere to be, I'm out in the country. We're not leaving this seventy five acres. Yeah, what am I gonna do? And then I tryed to do all the things, yes, and tractors and horses and tractors, and I'd go, I clear. One of my favorite things to do. I'd go, I'm gonna go climb in the hay barn, like go in, climb up the ladder, jump through the where they pushed the hay bales down into the troughs for the cows.
Speaker 1: I just do that over and over by yourself.
Speaker 4: By myself, all by myself, I'd go. I'd tie bacon to the end of a string and go down to the tank and catch crawfish with bacon. I would just walk and go find the horse, like swim for a few hours, be exhausted, eat.
Speaker 1: I mean, I just was. I had no plan and it was all outside activities. So he'll we were catching crawl fish bacon a string, and the bacon came from a hog. That Mama slaughter was the best. Did you have shoes?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: I half the time I was bearfitted.
Speaker 4: How I'd ride the horses in my bathing suit up to the side of the pool and jump off of them into the water like it was real redneck out there.
Speaker 1: That's just good redneck fun. You just saddled up or just hoping. No, I wouldn't even saddle, I'd put a bridle on it.
Speaker 4: But I rarely rode it with a saddle or definitely didn't wear jeans.
Speaker 1: Right, I just you let our daughter do any of those things.
Speaker 4: Yes, I would let her do all of those things except the one that freaks me out. Now, I did not know this, and why my grandparents never told me this. With snakes like to hang out in the hay bales in the hay barn, and I was.
Speaker 1: Living in the hay barn.
Speaker 4: And number one time, do I remember being given a hey, watch out for snakes?
Speaker 1: Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Right? Right?
Speaker 2: So it just makes you wonder if you're gonna have your Yeah, parents do too much for kids right now, I think anyway, but you're gonna have an old school summer with your kid, what would you do that day with them?
Speaker 1: Or tell them? Because they don't know about running through the sprinklers?
Speaker 4: Really, I mean waiting for the ice cream truck to come down the street that would.
Speaker 2: Make get a slipping slide out of fifty garbage bags.
Speaker 1: Yeah we did that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, at night catching fireflies and keeping them in a jar. Yeah, but then we were gross and we would sometimes take them and then smear them on our shirts, and the guts were glowing now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we would take pull the little lightning part off and smear it on our like a make a look like jewelry.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, that's gross. We did that though. Do any kids just get dropped like we?
Speaker 2: When I was a kid, we would get dropped off at a park in California when we lived in California, at Applegate Park. We just get dropped off there and then we get picked up at five o'clock at night.
Speaker 1: Really, yeah, that's what it was like for us.
Speaker 3: I have three sisters, and most of the time we were spending summers with my dad because my parents were split up and he had to work, you know. And even if we were at our with my mom, she was working too.
Speaker 1: But we'd get dropped off at the pool or take the bus.
Speaker 3: My dad would get us city bus passes and we would go to the public pool and you'd hang out there all day.
Speaker 1: All day. And was there always JB. This was in the eighties, it's late seventies.
Speaker 2: Was there was always a guy at least at our pool that had the biggest jam box you ever seen, and he brought.
Speaker 1: It to the pool and he controlled the music that was being played and every thought he was the coolest guy there.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Bob Scarpelly. That's who it was when I was a kid. I know it is weird, but he had the big jam box.
Speaker 3: I remember playing a lot of tennis and it was not fancy. I know that sounds fancy, but it was just it was like city leagues in Kansas City when I'd go stay with my dad, right, you know, it was like government funded.
Speaker 6: Stuff, but it was fun less in a block of cheese, but you have to do them at the same time, some powdered milk to take home. I know it sounds so ghetto, but then also, you don't tell me you aren't out looking for scrap wood to build forts.
Speaker 1: Heck, and sports and ramps.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sports to sit in and ramps to jump your bikes on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there was always there was always one kid in the neighborhood whose dad had all the tools and like all the proper nails and everything was really organized. And yeah, we're just looking for free wood to build stuff.
Speaker 1: But we never had tools.
Speaker 4: But somehow, miraculously we always had cinder blocks, Like did I live in a prison? Like why were there so many cinder blocks around when I was a kid.
Speaker 1: That is true. It's weird.
Speaker 2: Right, And then tell me did you ever drag a long two by six or something on your bicycle one hand on the handlebar, the other hand behind it, drag it for like.
Speaker 1: Six blocks to get it to get it to wherever we were building something?
Speaker 2: Right, It was like a like a everyone has seen the video of the rat in New York with a piece of pizza, right, the same type of thing. We hung out as a kids, and I to this day, every time I eat an almond, I think about it. There was an almond orchard like three blocks from our house and we just go hang out in the orchard. We had no idea that whoever owned that orchard would kill us if they were in there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if we were eating out of a neighbor's backyard garden, pull parents out, rent them off with the garden hose and start mouting on a carrot or maybe a head of lettuce.
Speaker 1: That's that should be. You know, it would be a great TikTok.
Speaker 2: You know they always have these trends, like a parent telling them starting the water hose and just holding it and see if their kid will drink.
Speaker 1: Out of it.
Speaker 4: Special Taste's this very special taste.
Speaker 1: Rubber taste. She had to always let the hot water out first. That would burn your skin right off, yep, in the sun.
Speaker 7: You didn't carry, just gulp it all down and then and then a D D JB would forget to turn it off, and my mom or dad would come home and the whole yard is flooded.
Speaker 1: Jibi.
Speaker 2: Didn't you when you were a kid come running into the house once, all breathing heavy and reach in the fridge and drink a three of a fish emulsion or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my mom was very into plants, and she had taken our what was normally our tea picture and it was it was fish emulsion.
Speaker 1: It's fish poop mixed with water. Why she put it in the fridge, I don't know.
Speaker 3: But you come in and I'm just like, right out of the picture, go go go.
Speaker 2: Oh God, fish poop, yeah poop.
Speaker 1: I can't believe you remembered that, don't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it happened, Jbie. I can only ask you this because where Tricia was out on the ranch, there weren't any street lights.
Speaker 1: But did you have to come in when street lights came on? Yeah, that was usually the general rule.
Speaker 3: And then there, you know, and then there was always one kid's dad with the like the loudest whistle you ever heard, I.
Speaker 1: Could do with his fingers, yes, and echo through the neighborhood, and that that was kind of it's a wrap.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that means business. Time to go, right. I would eat dinner. I could go in to eat dinner. Like we'd be out playing whatever we were doing. In time to eat dinner. I'd go home. I'd eat as fast as I could go back outside.
Speaker 1: They'd let you go back out after dinner. Oh yeah, street lights were on, the street lights weren't on. You still had clearance.
Speaker 2: Hell yeah, my daddy's so sandy. Don't eat so fast. I still eat fast for that reason. I don't know it'd be fun. But try that with the hose with your kid. I would try that with Landry.
Speaker 1: Go, hey, come here, do it.
Speaker 4: You don't think she's I don't think she will. She's so weird, so picky about things she eats.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you need to let it run and just kind of care you want soap?
Speaker 2: Yeah she does. Yeah, and see what happens. It's pretty funny. Still to come on the show today. Jelly Roll's wife, Boy, does she know how to cheer? A man up how to get his attention? Try to get his attention? All right, we'll tell you about it coming up on Austin's eighty station, one oh three point one.
Speaker 1: All right, ladies, listen up, listen up.
Speaker 2: If you have a tough time getting your boyfriend or your husband's attention, you need to take a lesson from Bunny.
Speaker 1: Bunny xo. Yep, bunny xo. That's missus Jelly role.
Speaker 4: They've been together for r They've been together forever, like I think, right when he was right out of prison, dead broke.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she took him in. Mm hmm. You think he'll leave her when he loses all those weights? I do not think so. I think he loves her so hard so she he wasn't paying enough attention to her. Is that where it work?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: They were somewhere shooting something. They run at a hockey rink. He was shooting something and standing out of the ice. She's been sitting up in the stands for a while. He looks kind of tired. She's trying to get his attention. She can't get it for a while. She finally bangs on the glass and when he looks over at her, she just lifts her shirt up and flashes him.
Speaker 1: And this smile that came onto his face.
Speaker 4: It was like it was like Christmas morning for him, and he started pumping his fist in the air and was so happy. And I immediately thought of you, saying it was like, I feel like that is exactly what your reaction would be if I did that to you. And then of course I think JV as well, because your boob guy, right, JB. I like all the parts, all the parts, all right, and.
Speaker 1: It does in particular. Yeah, they're pretty sweet, some of your favorites. We're such a simple creature, right, guys. Was it didn't take much to make him that happy?
Speaker 2: It really doesn't take much to make most guys happy. Yeah, it really doesn't. That's just true, right you guys overthink us? Did you feel like does your wife JB? Like Tricia gives me way too much credit for like having the ulterior motive thinking what steps ahead of Like I'll say something to her and she's like, well, why are you saying that?
Speaker 1: What do you want?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 1: What I mean? Like, Well, You're I'm simple, one thought at a time.
Speaker 3: Here, right, right, Yeah, I'm not.
Speaker 1: That sophisticated, right, yeah, plan to get to scheme. We think that because chicks do that sometimes. Oh yeah, I think that.
Speaker 4: We assume if we're doing it, you guys are doing it too. But I think you're right. Maybe we're giving y'all too much credit. Definitely definitely giving us too much credit. And if we think you're scheming, now we know for a fact the one way to really throw y'all off your game is to just flash you our boot.
Speaker 2: Power of the boobs, the power of the boot, I'm telling you, jab when these girls figure out how much power they really have, we're doomed. They haven't figured it out since the beginning of time, but when they do, it's over for us. Yeah, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. What do you mean, I don't see you.
Speaker 1: Don't see me rising up? Come on now, I don't think you're giving me enough credit right now.
Speaker 2: The completely different note, this was kind of shocking if you ask me that Austin is one of the top rental markets for college grads.
Speaker 4: College grads, it's because it's too expensive to buy, but still it's expensive to rent to right out of Yes, but it's.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's a few rentals on my street and it's full of young people right out of college, with three four of them living together.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think they'd all I think they'd have to bunk up to be able to afford it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I can see the attraction of wanting to stay here, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I remember, Jimmy, you and I we were just talking about this last week about Austin just used to be the place where he came to college and then you left and went back to wherever it was you were going to work and live.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 3: And it's funny because yeah, everyone would come to ut and then leave and go back to Dallas for Houston, and Austin was the affordable place but no jobs. And now you know, like my wife and I will look at some of the houses available in some neighborhoods we know in Houston Dallas and we're like, oh my god, so much cheaper there in Houston and Dallas. Yeah, for the kind of houses we like, right right right, just a lot less.
Speaker 1: And that's like, Man, Austin's out of control. Yeah, I mean it is, it really is.
Speaker 2: And there's just so many I mean, I mean, I don't really I'm not crazy about it, but there's just apartment buildings.
Speaker 4: Everywhere, everywhere, and it's not a good sign too. I just read that there's a lot of office space downtown, empty empty office spaces, and I think they thought they were going to fill it back up again with trying to shut down working from home.
Speaker 1: Uh huh, but I don't know. They're empty and they're still building more. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Keep in mind, they haven't even broken ground on the Brody Oaks redevelopment at Lamar and ben White, which is going to be a domain south is what they're.
Speaker 4: Where Mervins used to be srs yep.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and uh Nieman's Last Call and all that bud Wreckers, Yeah, pine houses down there?
Speaker 1: Yep. Is that where the Alligator Grill used to be?
Speaker 3: No, that's a little little farther up Lamar towards downtown.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: But then there's also supposed to be another massive development at Pleasant Valley and Riverside, between Riverside all the way to the river, supposed to be huge development. And then think about this, they haven't even demolished the old Statesman building yet. Oh my god, what are they going to do with that high rise up there? Yeah, it's going to be uh, the last rendering I saw. I don't know where it is with all that is eight high rises. Oh my gosh, it's a it's a big that's a big spot there.
Speaker 1: It's bigger than you think. That's a big yeah, I mean property wise, it's yeah, it's big.
Speaker 3: So yeah, eight high rises south of the river. Not too crazy about that. But if you and you can probably find the renderings online if you want to look at it. One good thing to come of it is part of the exchange for letting them develop that. You know, the city always asks for something, but they're going to have them as part of the development. Really expand and build a proper park, which where everywhere everyone watches the bats.
Speaker 4: Oh that's yeah, because there's always not standing on the side of the road by the bridge.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can get by the bridge.
Speaker 3: And then there was kind of like a little janky walkway and yeah, so in the renderings there's like a big park there and nice sidewalks and a viewing area.
Speaker 1: So that'll be a nice trade off. Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 2: And that you say they have not a diad starts. The Statesman building is still there. I haven't even torn that down yet.
Speaker 1: Wow. Oh, go recognize this little town anymore.
Speaker 3: Well, that's just a few areas I'm talking. I'm talking about. There's tons more happening.
Speaker 2: Right, so, oh, well I have that's going to change the look of the that whole area where the Statesman is, that whole area is going to look completely you know, right is the Remember is that a Fridays right across the river there?
Speaker 1: It used to be in the Line hotel. There used to be a Friday.
Speaker 3: It used to be a Sheridan with a Friday's right, that's right, Madison or Sheridan anyway, I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: Hey, make sure you give us a follow on Instagram. It is at JB Sandy at X stick around. We got more coming up on Austin's eight station. What O three point one? Austin's got another peeper and this peeper has been cut on video.
Speaker 1: I'm out of town.
Speaker 2: It's not You's in Chicago, East Central Austin, the Cherrywood neighborhood.
Speaker 1: Oh it's a nice neighborhood. Yeah, just east of you, tee. It's just about two or three miles from downtown.
Speaker 2: They've got reports of a peeper that is just really creepy because they've got him on video.
Speaker 1: All right, video.
Speaker 3: I don't know how you think you could get away with like going and peeking in windows.
Speaker 1: Old school, right, that's exactly what he's doing.
Speaker 4: But there are cameras everywhere everywhere.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you this the video that I saw, this peeper spooked pretty easily because he is not He may see something he ain't seen it for long, because he literally walks up to the window, looks in and runs away.
Speaker 4: It's a baby peeper. What we have here is a baby peeper. He's just getting started.
Speaker 1: He's he's practicing.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, but I mean it was two videos I've seen of him, and he literally just walks up, looks in the window, and then runs off.
Speaker 1: Can you tell what he looks like? Old guy? Young guy?
Speaker 2: I kind of a youngish guy. I'd hate to give out a description that I have with you know what I mean? Yeah, I don't give one out that's inaccurate, but.
Speaker 1: Like a you think it's like a homeless drifter or just now herve. You know he's Perve dude, perv. Yeah, he's probably he's a baby peper because he's from Castle, Texas. Yeah, I had a peeper.
Speaker 4: My friend Lisa and I when We had our apartment off of Far West and Savannah Ridge. There is a peeper And when I walked around the corner and saw him, this guy was camped out. He was like on his knees looking in her window. So really, he's yeah, so this one if this guy is barely getting the look before he runs away, he's sposhy in it. He's yeah, he's just dabbling, dabbling, sip in his toe in. It's so creepy, it's so weird.
Speaker 1: I don't understand that really, Like, why, what's the deal?
Speaker 3: I mean, whatever you can see through that window you can find on the.
Speaker 1: Internet, right true, only old days, you know, we had to really look for stuff to look at.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just I don't understand the whole peeping tom thing.
Speaker 1: But it's a thrill, yeah, getting away with it. But I don't know. So if you're in that.
Speaker 3: Neighbor, I used to hire a peeping courtroom sketch artist who would go and draw and fun and bring him back you didn't.
Speaker 1: Want to get cut.
Speaker 4: But I wonder if if a peeper's peeping tom's goal is hoping I'm going to look in this window and see dirty stuff, or is it just the thrill of looking at people when they know you're that they're not, they don't know you're looking at.
Speaker 1: Him, And I feel bad. I shouldn't make such light of it.
Speaker 3: And we tend to find humor in anything, but if anyone's ever dealt with a peeper stalker type, that's terrifying.
Speaker 1: Terrifying. Yeah, not to be taken lightly.
Speaker 2: So what do you do? Let's say you see the guy keeping, do you go after him? You call police?
Speaker 1: What do you do?
Speaker 4: I did all of those. I didn't go after him. I saw him and I yelled. My dog was outside with me and he saw me and got it and ran. I ran back in the apartment. We called the police. The cops came and they're like, yeah, we've had a couple of reports of keepers in the neighborhood.
Speaker 1: But that was it. Nothing else, nothing ever came of it after that, Right, And what's the charge?
Speaker 3: You know what?
Speaker 1: I mean? What do you get arrested for?
Speaker 3: You know, looking at Yeah, there's gotta be something. Well, you're trespassing. Oh yeah, that's if you're not in an apartment window though or something.
Speaker 1: It's a misdemeanor, not it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you were talking earlier about the high rises in downtown Austin. Right, you live in a high rise apartment, and there's another one right across from you.
Speaker 1: I'm looking. Oh yeah, I'm looking.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna telescope and I'm going to see this one on What if I see a murder?
Speaker 1: That happens a lot in TV shows. What if you see a murder? Yeah, I don't see. We put up an eight foot fence. I don't see any of my neighbors.
Speaker 3: But I've thought about that downtown living like people do it all over the world.
Speaker 2: I've never done it. We put up a knowing the Longhorns practice facility our house, so nobody can see in that hall. It's very noisy because it takes air to keep it inflated. But dammit, we're private, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: You wouldn't care if somebody looked in the window and saw you naked. No, they'd be impressed. Again. That neighborhood is the cherry Wood neighborhood. I'm like a lady. I had to look up where that was. Jabe knew exactly where it was, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not far from like East manor where all those cool places are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you and.
Speaker 4: Y'all go around a lot to all the different places, looking at houses and stuff.
Speaker 3: Right, So yeah, we poke around and I'm keep in mind, I'm on a bike, a lot bicycle.
Speaker 1: True. What about this is interesting? Have you ever heard of this? They it said that Cherrywood it includes micro neighborhoods like French Place. Have you ever heard of that? You've heard of it, Jimmy, I've heard of it. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I get real confused on the little neighborhoods because some people used to refer just north of Cherrywood. People will go used to call that like terry Town East. That's not the name of it, it was a nickname for it. And then it used to not be as desirable a neighborhood because with the old airport, the planes would come. You remember this, Tricia, Well, even when you moved here, Sandy come in right over thirty five.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you'd be driving over to thirty five in the plane was right there right there.
Speaker 3: And that those neighborhoods were a little less desirable back then. And then once the airport shut down, I was like, I wish I'd bought one of those prime real estate.
Speaker 2: Another micro neighborhood that they mentioned in the Cherrywood area at Dellwood and University Park.
Speaker 1: I haven't heard of any of those.
Speaker 5: Have heard of the University park, not Delwood, No, I haven't either any university park. You start to get up by what's the big outdoor mall? It was the first mall of any type in Austin, right there at fifty first Why am I going blank on the N fifty first fifty first Street and and I thirty five.
Speaker 1: Island Highland it was. It was an outdoor mall.
Speaker 3: There's a cross I don't know, go round and round on this?
Speaker 1: Why am I not? It's it's it's it's it's closer to to to Miller development and all that. Well, I mean there's a huge looking it up. Yeah, I mean I'm trying to Why am I going plank on? I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't People are screaming at the radio reading it was Austin's for shopping center. Wow, when that was what? Let me see? Hey it was.
Speaker 1: Hancock Hancock Plaza Highland Mall. No, Hancock Hancock is more in Hyde Park. It's on the other side. I don't know. Highland Mall opened in seventy one at Airport Boulevard and Kanag. I don't know. Gosh, if you're listening to you know Texas.
Speaker 3: Capital Plaza, Capital Plaza, they've redone the whole capital and it's nice.
Speaker 1: It's gone through a renaissance. It was, it was.
Speaker 3: That was the premiere shopping in Austin for way back like in what the fifties.
Speaker 1: And then uh and then it went through a rough patch there quiet I got a little sketchy. It's it's definitely on the rise though. It's come around. There's a pet Terry's in there now.
Speaker 4: Isn't that where Landry went to and boughter cowboy hat in that little area the boot barn.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yep, that's right. That's where I got my basket. How your what?
Speaker 2: My old basket home Penelope, Capital Plaza. That's where I met the people and we got the dog.
Speaker 1: It was. It was weird. It was weird.