Speaker 1: You have to approach the conversation with a buyer mindset. If you successfully map your solution to the buyer's pains and provide proof that you can live up to your commitments, you know you'll truly sell and negotiate on value versus price.
Speaker 2: You're listening to the audible Ready Podcast, the show that helps you and your teams sell more faster. We'll feature sales leaders sharing their best insights on how to create a sales engine that helps you fuel repeatable revenue growth. Presented by the team at Force Management, a leader in B to B sales effectiveness. Let's get started.
Speaker 3: Hello and welcome to the Audible Ready Sales Podcast. I'm Rachel klap Miller, and one of my favorite things to cover on the podcast is really basic sales fundamentals. I like it when we just get back to basics because they are so critical and a lot of us do them without thinking about them now, but never to experience for a refresher. So today we're packaging them up this five things to practice before your next sales conversation. Of course, John Kaplan joins me today.
Speaker 1: Hi John, Hey, Rachel, I think this is a great topic of just I call it sales hygiene. It's like waking up, brushing your teeth and combing your hair. So I really really like the way you set these five topics up.
Speaker 3: Right, and the discipline that you need to be a great salesperson goes back to those hygiene steps. You know, at any sales call, you only have a short window to make the person on the other end want to take next steps, want to even talk to you. So let's dive into these critical reminders. First up, you're so called elevator speech.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you know, people love this topic, the elevator speech. Be prepared to talk about what you do, and that's probably the question we're asked the most. You know, how many times has the customer started the sales call with so, you know, tell me about your company, tell me what your company does? And you've got to make sure that you have an answer that demonstrates your capabilities, the uniqueness, and the value provide your customers. And it's always best if you can make these points by making them relate to what you know about the customer. I call it kind of outside in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think my classic line to the answers to what do we what do you do? I always say I do marketing for forced management. We help high tech sales organizations generate more revenue per rep. And I love it because it's very clear of what we do. But sometimes they look at me like, WHOA, she's got that nailed down, and I'm just it's about outcomes and that's what that's what we preach.
Speaker 1: I better have that down audible ready, that's right.
Speaker 3: So another concept we use the three piece. We've talked about it in some other podcasts episodes, but really a good thing to practice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think the three p's are incredibly valuable. When you're trying to get to busy prospects and you're trying to get their attention. You have to structure an opening or a lead in with succinct initial sales conversation, and the three p's are just kind of a great, great methodology. So first, it's the purpose, the goal of the meeting. Why are you calling me? I mean, you've got to put yourself in the shoes of the buyer and here's where they're ask here's where they ask, why are you calling me? And so the next pe is process, define how the time will be spent. And so it's kind of the agenda, you know, what do you want from me if you're standing in the shoes of the prospect. And the third one is the payoff. It's the relevant and tangible benefits that peak the prospect's interest. This is kind of the what's in it for me? So articulating the three p's early on in a conversation or even in the agenda demonstrates your business acumen. It lets your prospect know you won't be wasting his or her time, and they can also help you ensure that the right people will be part of the conversation. You know, when you do purpose process payoff and you're talking about that process and you're talking about the kinds of questions or the topics that you want to speak about or to engage that prospect about, many times it's going to identify other people in an organization that could benefit. And I don't want you to shy away from this, Rachel. I hear a lot like I say, so people say to me, so are you're talking about, like sending an agenda, And I'll be like, well, why not? And many times I find the reason why people do not send an agenda is because they don't want the meeting to get canceled. And that's just a confidence and conviction topic. So if you believe what you do matters, preparing yourself with purpose process payoff really gets your mind right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And as we said at the top, no sellar is above having to do these fundamentals because the homework that you do before a meeting coming up with your purpose process payoff. Of our colleague Frank Azelino always says, homework is respect and it shows respect to the people on the other side of that zoom call, other side of the line, whatever, whatever it is. So the next one, John, another good reminder listen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, you can never underestimate the ability to effectively listen in a sales conversation. And you've got to remember people don't like to be persuaded. They rarely argue with their own conclusion. So you have to help them see how your solution will provide them value by an effective discovery process. You got to ask the right questions and uncover the key positive business outcomes that they're trying to achieve. And I like to talk about that little I call the little enemy within or that little devil on my shoulder that every now and then I'll be on a sales call and I'll be talking, and I'll hear this voice in my head that says, why are you talking? Why are you talking? And if I can't follow that up with because you said, mister missus customer. The reason why I'm telling you this, mister missus customers, because you said. And if you can't do that, shut up, shut up. And so listen to that enemy within. When you hear it in your head and you ask yourself the question why are you talking, you better have a good answer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I should come up with a little gift of you John saying yes, yes, okay. So number four, keep the focus on your buyer. Think like the buyer in all things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we talked a little bit about this. You know this outside and approach. You know, you have to approach the conversation with a buyer mindset. If you successfully map your solution to the buyer's pains and provide proof that you can live up to your commitments, you know you'll truly sell and negotiate on value versus price. And at the same time, you'll definitely definitely minimize that price conversation or that price only conversation.
Speaker 3: So important and Finally, number five, making sure before your next sales conversation you are brushing up on relevant keyword relevant proof points before you start that conversation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean you have to show that you can provide the value you promise. You have to be ready to provide proof points that show the tangible results your solution provided for another customer helps prospects see the value in doing business with you. It's not a logo. It's not naming a brand or a logo. You have to learn and tell the story.
Speaker 3: Yeah, as we close, John, I mentioned it earlier. All of these five tips, these basic sales fundamentals, come down to prep You can't underestimate the power of preparation.
Speaker 1: Yeah. A famous basketball coach once wrote that the difference between stress and pressure is preparedness, and the most elite sellers are always the most prepared. And I like what Frank Gazelino said on this topic. You know, preparation shows respect and it will be and that preparation will be admired and felt by the prospect. So its just sum this up. Rachel. The you know you're listing out. I like to see people get up in the morning and list out the calls that they're going to make for the day, and then do the three p's and practice purpose process, payoff to talk about what you do in a way that highlights the problems that you solve and how you solve them differently. Talked about really focusing on listening with the intent to understand, So putting the customer first and make it all about your buyer before you make it all about you, you'll earn the right to make it all about you. And then learn, prepare, and tell great stories as proof points to help your customers minimize risk. Those are five really good hygiene topics that we can wake up with every morning, just like brushing our teeth and combing our hair.
Speaker 3: That's right, Stick them on a post it note, stick them to your computer, keep them top of mind. Thank you, John, my pleasure right, and thank you to all of you who continue to listen to the Audible Ready Sales podcast. We appreciate it. John gets tons of LinkedIn messages and I love seeing the comments too that so many more people are finding our podcast. It's so rewarding. If you like it, please rate us five stars. That helps other people find us too. Thanks again.
Speaker 4: At Force Management, we're focused on transforming sales organizations into elite teams. Our proven methodologies deliver programs that build company alignment and fuel repeatable revenue growth. Give your teams the ability to execute the growth strategy at the point of sale. Our strength is our experience. The proof is in our results. Let's get started. Visit us at forcemanagement dot com.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to the Audible Ready podcast. To not miss an episode, subscribe to the show in your favorite podcast player until next time.