Speaker 1: It's NIC's eye Ray, I'm going easy Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 2: Brothers and sisters fight. That's what happens. Brothers and sisters fight. Sometimes it involves one point six billion dollar companies. Sometimes it involves thirty thousand employees with their jobs potentially on the line. Rob, did we have that report by any chance? All right, what we're gonna do right now is we'll set up the show. Obviously, we're gonna start with Market Basket. Gary Tag wereing for Dan Ray tonight. We're gonna roll a report here from WBC and Kyle Bray and get you up to Dan and what's happening. Let's rull.
Speaker 3: Shoppers at the Market Basket in Gloucester are shocked to hear that Market Basket has placed CEO Arthur T. Dobulis on paid leave.
Speaker 4: He's done a great job with the store.
Speaker 5: I hope it does and change.
Speaker 4: Who're lucky to have a store like this around here in Kpe. Ann He's been a great person to work for, according to people who I know, And.
Speaker 2: So yeah, this does.
Speaker 4: Consume me very much. Took care of his employees. One particular in one store I know, had cancer. He went out for a year. Already paid his salary, and he paid his health benefits in his job was SAE when he got back, so that speaks.
Speaker 2: For Artie Back.
Speaker 3: In twenty fourteen, market Back and workers went on strike across the region when the board fired to Bullis. Tensions between the Board and do Bullis are once again high as they clash over basic oversight from Gloucester Kyle bra AWBZ Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: I mean, this is right out of network television from the eighties. You know, this is like Dallas Falcon crashed, all those TV dramas. Dynasty families want control. It's as simple as this, folks. The sisters want already t out because he wants to give it to his kids. That's what this is about. Wow, the problem is you're talking about thirty thousand jobs that are on the line. Now I have to tell you and open phones here. I want to know what you think about this whole situation and why does market basket mean so much to this state six one, seven, two, five, four, ten thirty. I find the whole market basket phenomenon very interesting because it is a dying breed. It just doesn't happen anymore. Whole Foods. They're owned by Amazon. They were started here in Massachusetts. Remember it was Brett and Circus and it became Home Foods, and yeah, you get the idea. Jordan's Furniture, love, Jordan's Furniture, Barry and Elliott. Awesome. I don't begrudge anybody for selling out. They made a deal with Warren Buffett. Good for them, Demulins who stayed local and they've stayed strong. And I will tell you I am an outsider here. I am an outsider. And in twenty four because I've come from the great state of Maine. We did not have demulus in Maine at the time that I grew up, especially in Rumford, Man. It was saved more sav hyphen mr. Maybe that's why nobody in my town could spell that's what it was. And even Ralph's Market, Ralph's Market with Missus Lloyd running the cash register, one cashier and everybody knew or Missus Lloyd who started Kathy married my friend David's brother Timmy. Well, you know, it's a small town. It was one of those things where you could go into Ralph's Market and you could literally say, Ralph, I'm going to pay for this pound of Hamburg when I get paid on Friday. I mean, that's the way it was. But Demoulah's when I first moved to the I moved to the sea coast of New Hampshire and I went into the Demulh's, and this was in the nineties. I wasn't really impressed. It was Seabrook, New Hampshire, and it doesn't take much to impress her. I really wasn't impressed. I was like, ah, man, hey, it's no save more, or if you wanted to pronounce it fanatically, savemore, savemore. But then, like many of the grocery store chains, it's stepped up its game to a point right now where in Maynard, Massachusetts, which is close to where I live, the place is jammed packed. I can go in there and I see everybody I know, see my eye doctor in there. Because look, times are crazy, times are hard, jobs are scarce. We know that we have no idea what's going on in Washington. We have no idea what's going to be cut next, We have no idea. There's a lot of uncertainty. But from many people in this community or this state, from what I gather, I'm not one of them. I don't relate to it. Market basket is a certainty. De Mulla's market basket still means something to this area, which I find fascinating because really, when it comes to brand awareness or brand loyalty, you know, it comes down to price and convenience. Now I understand what the mouse. Obviously price is important, that's what they do. But they've stepped up of their game as well where they have prepared foods and so forth. Because if you have two parents working, everybody needs convenience and they've done that. But they've done that at a price where people can afford it. And I'm sure the concern is if some outside company comes in and buys Themuluse, that that's all going to change. Also, you can't tell me if you have ninety stores and you have thirty thousand employees, if somebody comes in and buys that outfit, they're gonna cut that in half to fifteen thousand, no doubt, There's no doubt. And this is all as far as I'm concerned. What I can see is the three sisters don't like what the brother's doing because they don't want the company to go to his kids. Doesn't everybody have enough money I mean, really, isn't that it? Can't you negotiate it? You bought out the senior Arthur before Arthur T. Why can't you do it again now? From what I understand, the report is that he was planning a work stoppage again because he wanted to fend off a hostile corporal takeover by the Three Sisters. What was that house like growing up? Can you imagine that? But at the end of the day, you still have thirty thousand jobs of people in New England that are on the line, and in the past with the moves, at least with Arthur T on the surface, that has been the mission. He takes care of his people. I couldn't believe it in twenty fourteen when they tried to take the company from him and they all walked out. Think about that, they all walked out. That's crazy. That says something about the man. I mean again, I don't have a horse in the race. You guys tell me at six, one, seven, two, five, four, ten thirty, whether you work there, whether you shop there, whether you grew up going there, it's part of the community. I mean Star Market. Remember I remember watching Red Sox games in Maine and I would always Star Market sweepstakes. I mean that was Mugo, right, I mean he sold out eventually? Did that become Shaws or super stop and shop or whatever? I mean, I can't. I mean HELI who knows? Probably Walmart owns that.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: I have no idea, and I don't begrudge that. But this is a local institution in Demulah's where it means something to some people. And if the sisters get a hold of it, I mean see a later. I mean, come on, and they want their money. It's it's really not that much different than the Celtics. And you know what, I'm gonna make that comparison. I'm gonna take your calls right after this. We're talking to Mullahs. It's a family feud. It's a made for tea. The story dun't dunt dunt dun dun Right here on wbz's Nightside.
Speaker 1: You're on Night Side with Dan Ray on w b Z, Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 2: Who shot j R? Family Intrigue, Bobby j Are you and Sue Ellen? The market the moves have to get their own theme song. That's what they have to do. Family in fighting is great intrigue. That's back when Network TV was king. So now they're who shot Jr. They're trying to oust Arthur t and well they've done it. And basically with market Basket, you have three sisters that want the brother out because the brother wants to give the company to his two kids. They're saying, you can't give it to my niece and nephew. What about us? It's what what about us? You brought the company back. Everybody seems to love you in the company. They had a one point six billion dollar deficit that they had to pay off in twenty fourteen when he was brought back into the company and they bought it. They've done it, according to the reports, like Arthur Tiers has run this company. So they paid off the one point six billion dollar debt and now they're running with a profit. What the ELL's wrong with that? This is speculation, speculation. There's no doubt in my mind, somebody's knocking on that door man Walmart, Amazon, somebody wants to buy him for a lot of money, just like the Celtics. I mean, it's very similar to the Celtics. You know, I know certain people didn't want to sell the Celtics, but I mean IRV Grousbeck nine years old. He's got three he's got three kids total of four. There's a wick and then he's got some other shit. Six point one billion dollars. Are you kidding me?
Speaker 4: Kid?
Speaker 2: We're selling the team. We didn't want to sell a team. Why would he? Are you kidding me? He's a champion, he's been a great owner. But the old man comes in, he says, it's all about the money. That's what this is. It's always about the money. The sisters want to sell it speculation by me to somebody with a lot of cash.
Speaker 6: That's it.
Speaker 2: And it would be a shame, it really would be. I mean, listen, I'm not I'm not a mark. I didn't grow up going to market basket. I don't have any memories of going to market bask Like people I've talked to today are like, oh, market basket all the time. You know, ninety stores. They paid off a one point six billion dollar debt in ten years. This guy, Arthur T, as far as I'm concerned, like, I'm sure he's no angel. He's probably got skeletons in his closet too. That guy knows how to run a business where people walked out in twenty fourteen, they actually walked out on his behalf. They loved him so much. He comes back. He pays off a one point six billion dollar debt in a decade. It must be doing something right. All right, let's get to Steven Marri Mackahamster. Steve, you're up on wbz's night side.
Speaker 6: Hey, Gary, thanks for taking my call. I was kind of shocked to hear the news tonight. It looks like history repeats itself, or it may very well happen this summer. I know RDT personally. I went to high school with him. He's a really nice guy. He's old school. He has a lot of people at that company, both in management and below that love him. I know because I remember twenty fourteen. You know, twenty five thousand people were supporting him when we had the boycott. You're absolutely your assessment's absolutely correct. It's all about the greed and the money. You know, Shaw's and Hanifford's are watching Walmart's watching Shaws and Hanniferd's. They only have like a ten and eleven percent market Chare market Baskets got a twenty percent market share in New England. You know they're they're very envious of that situation. So if anything goes sour, you know, with respect to the the ownership of this company and a possible sale, you know, we're all going to pay more. That's what it's going to come down to, because their prices aren't even close to the market basket. You know. I can only tell you that, you know, he he's old school. He runs the company with the idea that the employees are the ones you have to count on, and those people would do anything for him. I really I talked to managers at the stores of here in New Hampshire. I don't go down to mass very often, but I'm sure it's the same down there too, So I all I can say is, you know this is not going to turn out well for the Dumulus family, the three sisters. I knew that they were involved, but I didn't think they would force him out because he is His sons were the heir apparent to his position. He's the point person of the company. He writes the letters that go out with the bonus checks. In December. I know because I got to copy the letter from one of the employees, well written letter. He said, I retired the debt. You know, the one point six billion last year. You know that was in the letter that went after all the employees. So you know, they're in a really good position and it looks like they just want to take their money and run, you know, if you.
Speaker 2: Want to, if you want to look at the situation right now, with what it is like for the American worker. You're constantly looking over your shoulder because of mergers, because of what's happening with the tax ramifications with the current president, because it's we wish it was people. It's an international economy, right see. I mean, it just is. It's the way things are done now. I mean you can have something that's American made, but parts have to come from China, parts have to come from Canada. I mean, they come from all over the place. So now people will worried, am I going to lose my job because of the tariffs, That our prices are going to go up sixty percent and our market share is going to go down. I mean, it is a very uncertain time. Not to mention with AI. AI is replacing everybody. I mean I remember automation. I remember in the eighties automation, automation, and we're like, eh, look it's here people are losing jobs left and right because of automation and also because a fair of the international economy. So this is one of those rare companies with the demulas where it's like we're making money. Everybody's making money. I mean, no one's could playing. People are going to the stores, they're buying the products. Everybody's making money. Why would you want to screw that up?
Speaker 6: You know why?
Speaker 2: Because I'm telling you, and this is speculation on my part, it's somebody in the shadows that's waiving a lot of money to the sisters. Speculation. Don't assume me that's gotta be that's gotta be it. That's my opinion.
Speaker 6: This whole thing is a political has nothing to do with politics. It's all about the money.
Speaker 2: It's all about the money.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 6: You know, I just you go you shop around. I'm sure Garry, you know you go into a stopping shop down there, or you know, Hannaford's or a Shaws. That parking lot is an empty ghost town. You go into a market basket parking lot, you know, whether it's around here in New Hampshire or down there, it's packed full.
Speaker 2: Steve, I go to the one in Maynard. I go to the one in Maynard and I see, I see, I see everybody. It's loaded, it's jammed.
Speaker 6: You have to park, you know, you have to park way down to get in there. You know, it's like and I go to the one in Londonderry, the one in Bedford, New Hampshire, and I go to others too, but they're always full, and it's it's crazy. But you know, the prices are good. He doesn't play games. He goes for the best prices. People benefit people that are hurting right now. Like you mentioned, you know, we don't need to pay more for groceries because we have to shop at a higher price outfit. But I am more than willing to go through with you know, Boycott two point oh. If that's what we need to do to send him a message.
Speaker 2: Well here's the prob Yeah, Steve, here's the problem. I don't what they did. I went back and I looked at the reports and so forth from twenty fourteen. I mean, it's amazing, it is amazing. People just said we're out. Well we're already. I mean, you just those days are over. I don't think people can afford to do that. I can't expect if this thing goes the way it seems the way it's going, I can't expect thirty thousand of people who walk off the job again, this time in this climate. That's a hard ass to do it again, no matter how loyal they are to rd T. That's a hard ask right now in the situation we're in where interest rates, Well, we don't know what the president's doing with the economy. Don't you think it's hard to ask people to walk out.
Speaker 6: There's no one else in his family that's capable of taking over outside of his sons.
Speaker 2: Well, they'll sell it, I mean, come on, basically, look again, opinion opinion, opinion. They want to sell it. That's what I think. They just want to sell it, That's what I'm thinking. I mean, you look at it like I just look at the Celtics, like IRV Grousebeck. Look, I love the grouse They're great, They've done a great job. But he's sitting there.
Speaker 6: I paid.
Speaker 2: Let's say they bought the Celtics or three hundred and sixty million as a whole. They had various partners on ball parking. Maybe the grouse Pecks put in two hundred and eighty million or whatever. So he's looking at I point in two hundred and eighty million, I can get six point one billion for it. I'm ninety. The other siblings want to I get it. I totally get it. It's a money thing. But as people to get older, I mean, I don't know how old his sisters are. He's seventy, and it's gonna go to is, it's going to go to the kids. They want to cash out and they want to make money for their family. That's it. I mean, what a why else? Why else would you do that? Let me if you're if you're if you're one of the siblings, okay, Sam as sibling, and I got RDT running the company that seems to be thriving because they're no longer in debt. According to reports, they're in the black. They paid off that one point six million dollar nutt they paid that. Why would I want to become involved? I mean, already just keep sending me the checks, just keep sending me the checks. I'm good.
Speaker 6: Nothing's going to change unless they wanted to.
Speaker 2: Change, right, So then so to me, they want to sell I mean, and they gotta you know that, that's what it's about. And I want to get into that because there is an argument for that too, Steve, thank you for the phone call. Let's try to cover this from both sides. If the majority of the family wants to sell the business, that's legit. There's some legitimacy there. We will get into that side right after this on WBC's Night Side.
Speaker 1: You're on Night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Carry tag for day tonight seven, two, five, four, ten thirty. It's a family brew. Ha ha, that's what it is. Arthur t doesn't want to sell. He's seventy years old. His siblings they want out. I mean, and I'm telling you there is a buyer on the doorstep against speculation, opinion. Don't as sue me. And that's why they want to take control of this thing. You could see it. And the thing that I'm really impressed by is the loyalty to market Basket. I think that Demula's market Basket is one of the few things left in a region that speaks of a certain time because everything is owned by international companies. As I mentioned Jordan's Furniture, which I love, great spot there in Natick Love Mom. You know the motion ride dot An Avon, Barrion, Elliott, great guys, but they sold out. They sold out the Warren, Buffett, Well, Whole Foods, Bread and Circus. Boom boom. Nowther're Amazon. It happens. It's very hard to stay local. But this is a guy already who the employees love, who the employees walked out for in twenty fourteen. You never see that, and I don't think it could happen today. I don't think people can afford to walk out to support their boss. That's when they said he was he was planning a workstop age. That's the one problem I don't know already. I mean, I admire the guy. He knows everybody's name they were in. He bought the he he bought the place in twenty fourteen for one point six billion, paid that off. Now they have ninety stores with a seven billion dollars. It's not seven billion dollar revenue, but seven billion dollars in sales. That sounds a lot. That sounds like a lot to me. That sounds like a lot to me. But can a case be made for the family members saying, look all right, it's time to sell. Let's spread the wealth a little bit. But he took over, he rallied the troops. He has made the money. He has been the guy in the trenches. And let's face it, it's not easy to stay local with Amazon and the things you can buy on Amazon now, and with Walmart coming in, and Walmart and Target, they've got all these superstores where you can buy everything from Kleenex to a sweatshirt to you know, Seltzer and eggs. It's really hard to maintain your customer's loyalty in this thing, and Age and Demula's has done it. They should be studying this guy at Harvard Business School. But then maybe Trump will get pissed to them. Uh well, all right, let's go to Kevin in Newburyport. Kevin, you're up on WBC's night side.
Speaker 5: Hello, ye hey, Gary, how are you doing.
Speaker 2: I'm doing good, Kevin.
Speaker 6: Good.
Speaker 5: Yeah, first time callers.
Speaker 2: So thanks.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I've done a little bit of you know, work with with supermarkets and stuff. And you make a good point about like a Save More. You go in and it's it's not the greatest looking store, but it's you know, the old old time. Well, if you take the whole Foods, the Trader Joe's, the Hannafords, they've got like these beautiful displays set up. You take shaws. They got the sprinkler systems going in the produce area. Market Basket doesn't have any of that. When you go into market Basket, they got these big crates on the floor, stack full overflowing with ketchup, mustard, tuna, fish, macaroni, and cheese, rice, coffee, the things that people need, right and they got them for like two for five bucks, right, you know. And I worked for We would deliver bread into these supermarkets and when we go in, my boss always said, you stack them high, you watch it fly. You stack them low, and they don't go. And what it is is, if you've got a whole stack of bread, people are gonna grab it because it's fresh. When he gets down to the last thing of hot dog rolls, nobody's gonna buy it because it's probably been sitting there. See, you got to keep the store stocked. In market Basket, what they do is they work on low margins, high volume. And this is why they've got the following, you know that they have. And when I was away, when when they want to strike in twenty fourteen, I was away for like a week and I came back and I'm with my daughter and I'm pulling in the market Basket and she goes, what are you doing that? And I said, well, I just got to grab a couple of light bulbs. She goes, Dad, they're on strike. I am not going in that store because all of our neighbors work there. I'm like, you're kidding me, Like, I can't go to market Basket. She's like, no, you know. I mean he's got a following, he's got a good he's got a good thing, and he is killing the other retails because it's low margin, high volume.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 2: I also feel that he's been smart enough to update it a little bit exactly. You know, when I go into the store in Maynard, it's at the first market Basket store I went into was nineteen ninety five and it's Seabrook, New Hampshire, right yep. And the one in maynerd when I go into now it is what you say, you know, where the the ketchup is stacked high and have the crates and so forth. But they have a deli. They have pre made food. Because both parents work, they don't have time to cook, so they have adapted to the lifestyles. But I agree with you. You know a lot of a lot of the times. Even when I go into a store and you see all the bells and whistles, you go, well, I'm paying for that. Yeah, I'm paying I mean even though I've been very fortunate and I can afford it, I go, Okay, that's fine, but I'm paying for that. You know, do I need to pay for that? I mean, that's what Walmart. That's why Walmart has done so great right.
Speaker 5: Now, Yeah, when you talk about them upgrading the store. So like you take Seabrook. Now, Seabrook has two stores because they had the old one that like you were in, and then they built a new one a couple, you know, like a mile down the road. Right now, out of market Basket, ninety stores. About thirty of them are the new bigger stores with the delis and prepared food, and then sixty of them are kind of the older stores. And it doesn't make sense to go in and pay the money to upgrade those older stores. They're just going to continue to build new stores, right and then those old ones eventually go away. But you're right, he's he's doing it in a way that his money, conscience makes sense, and consumers are behind them.
Speaker 2: They are now. But don't you think, Kevin, it's it's very hard to ask his thirty thousand or twenty five thousand employees to walk This time. It's a different time. There's so much economic uncertainty.
Speaker 5: You know, if they did it before, Gary, they're going to do it again.
Speaker 2: Boy, And that's great. Listen, I applaud them. Then that just goes That shows the loyalty to the guy. But I think it's right now. It's a lot to ask because I think it's very scary for people, very I mean it is.
Speaker 5: But at the time that they went on strike before was scary. Then you know, it's it's scary anytime you do it. I mean, I applause them for doing it, and I think they're going to do it again even stronger.
Speaker 2: But now we're you know, we're in a situation where with economic wars with every country in the world, you know what I mean, And you're worried about terrorists and all. That wasn't in play in twenty fourteen. You know that that wasn't the situation.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I listen, if they do it to me, if you look at the loyalty that this guy has displayed, and the critics will say, well he pays people too much. Well that's how you get people to stick around for forty years, right, So that's how.
Speaker 6: You do it.
Speaker 5: So here's the thing. I actually I was going to lose my job at one point, and I was looking at Marcot Basket and I said, you know, this is pretty successful change. So I went in and I went in to talk to them about getting hired and and I said, I'd be interested in doing merchandising, you know, for your aisles and you know, doing merchandising. They said, well, you need to start as a bagger. Once you're here as a bagger, then we'll promote you to like stocking shelves.
Speaker 6: So once you've been.
Speaker 5: Stocking shelves, will promote you to then maybe you know. And you look at their tags and it's like I've been an employee for fifteen years, I've been an employee for thirty years. They have them right on their their aprons. You you don't walk into market Basket.
Speaker 7: And start as like, you know, a manager.
Speaker 5: You got to work your way up.
Speaker 2: There's something to be said for that. It's very romantic. You know, it's like the good old days. But but here's the point, it can still work. I mean, this guy's making it work. But in a lot of situations you always have and you know this, Kevin, you have one person that drives the business, that brings it to the A and level, and then when it gets handed down or it gets moved on to someone else, it's just not the same. Before I let you go, I want your opinion. Do the sisters have a point?
Speaker 8: Okay?
Speaker 2: And this is my opinion if you you know, because what they're saying is they want to be involved more in the day to day operations foods. To me, I sniffed that out as saying, again my opinion that they want to sell, right, is there an argument that can be made? Okay, RDT, it's been a great run, but it's time to sell. That's what's best for the family. And I lost them.
Speaker 5: Oh no, no, that no, that the you know, it's it's not see that that that's because if you say that's what's best for the family, that you know depends on that family.
Speaker 2: Well, but it's also you got but.
Speaker 5: When you're got thirty thousand people who are trying to put food on the table, for their for their family. What's what's more important to you? Taking fifteen million dollars a piece that you're never gonna be able to spend or keeping these people employed. But people don't think that way anymore.
Speaker 2: Well, maybe one guy does, all right, keV, thanks buddy, appreciate your call. Good stuff, Margot and Gloucester. We're gonna get to you next here on WBZ about Demula's market basket and the family feud. The family feud. You know, it's always the sisters that pick on the brother. You know, my oldest sister used to pick on me. You just can't win. You're just taking grief from his sister all the time. You go, Mom, just tell her to leave me alone. Just leave me alone. Just stop trying to take over my company. Mom, sissy is trying to take over my company again. Mom, tell them to stop it. My sisters are buying me. They're trying to take over my company. O. We're gonna talk about this and the next segment, and then we'll get in and get into the Karen Reid deal again. An attorney, Christina Rex's attorney. She graduated. She's the real deal. Christina Rex is gonna join us at nine o'clock because I guess today was a big day going on with that fiasco. We just got made for TV stories all over the place, the dmula family battle and then the trial for Karen Reid on WBZ.
Speaker 1: Night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 2: Very good, Rob Brooks, let's plan a feud, family feud. And on this side Arthur T and on the other side he's three sisters. I don't know their names. Everything I've read it just talks about the guys representing him. The sisters wanted the brother out. That's it.
Speaker 6: To me.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you a minute what I'm thinking. Coming up at nine thirty, Blood in the Water. Casey Sherman, my buddy, has another great book out. We all remember Nathan Carmon. They found him in a lifeboat, his mother drowned, his grandfather had been murdered three years earlier. They were pointing the finger at hand before he took his own life. Casey has a very interesting take on this. It's a great book. We'll discuss at nine thirty the Karen Reid trial. And I have to admit I'm a little worn out on this. Just the folks, make up your mind. Christina Rex, attorney Esquire. Christina Rex from Channel four joins us. At ten o'clock, We're going to have some fun. Odie Henderson from the Global I love. We are going to talk about the career of Jack Lemon, and for those of you who may say Jack Lemon, Jack Lemon is one of the greatest actors of all time, and I will explain coming up at ten o'clock his range. My god, what an actor. Jackson Tolliver joins us. Fog friend of Gary talks Celtz of Patriots. That's at eleven o'clock right here on WBC. All right, let's grab some calls on this regarding market Basket and the sisters want the brother out. My opinion, somebody's trying to buy the place for a lot of money. That's what I think. Again, that's what I think. Oh my god, Margaret, I just lost you. Sorry about that, Margaret, if you want to call back, feel free. Did I hang up on your Margaret? I probably did, Rob, that's my bet. So here is a statement from Justin Justine Griffin, the spokesperson for Arthur T. Demolis Today, Mister Arthur T. De mooves was ousted from his position as president and CEO of market Basket by his three sister and they're three appointed board members. They gives their names his daughter, Madeleine and son. I don't want to I don't want to butcher the name. I'm sorry, I call it Telemachus, telemaccus, Telemachus. I don't want to be disrespectful on that. And several of the market Basket executives were also placed on leave. I know mister Demillis's leadership. In December of twenty four the company paid off a one point six billion dollars in financial debt when they purchased the company at twenty fourteen. That's when everybody walked out the door and said we support R and T. Company is currently operating at its peak performance. Again, this is from Martha T's side of the fence, but the notion that the board is going to conduct an investigation is a farcical cover for a hostile takeover. I mean, who can't buy that? Of course it's a takeover. Now look, I'm really not taking sides on this. Maybe the family says, look it's time to sell. We can make a lot of money for our family and that's it. Let's bail the Celtics are doing it. I don't bl the grouse Pecks. I don't blame them one bit. I do not blame IRV, Grousbeck and Wick six point one billion for that team, and some of that money is spread out to the other minority owners, but the majority it's going to the Grossbecks. Are you crazy? Make the deal? Jordan's have done it. Jordan's furniture, the Jordans, It's Jordan's furniture. The title bombs are the brothers. Sorry, I but they did it. They say, good for them. They worked hard, they built up a business, they sold, they cashed in great same thing with Whole Foods, Bretton circus Amazon. So I know, you know, do they have a responsibility to the thirty thousand employees, Because you know as well as I do. Somebody comes in and buys market basket, that thirty thousand dollars is gonna that thirty thousand employee roster is gonna get cut in half. There are so many stores that I can go into now, and I have to be careful because we've got sponsors and so forth. So I'm not gonna mention any names and maybe it's because they can't find workers. That's a whole other argument about how people don't want to work in retail. I'll go into stores and I just have a question. I just have a question. I want to talk to a person. I can't find them. I cannot find them. I can't some of the grocery stores, some of the retail stores, you know, if I want something in I was gonna saying that they don't really have hardware, you know. But if I'm looking in laundry, if I need something in the laundry detergent section, I have to go to women's clothing to talk to somebody, and they don't know what the hell's going on. Can you help me find the tide? Sorry? I only deal, you know, with dresses. And that's another thing with the moves. It's the customer service. People seem to appreciate the customer service. I'm telling me, the one next to my town is jammed. Jannie Shrew's you're up on WBZ.
Speaker 7: Hello, Hi Gary, Thank you to hear your voice again.
Speaker 2: Thank you. Jane, same here.
Speaker 7: I can't remember if it was two documentaries and one book or one documentary film and two books. But back when the strike happened.
Speaker 2: Right there was a documentary.
Speaker 7: Yes, we read those books and we watched the documentary, So if people are interested, that might be worth checking out. Again. I'm a frequent market basket shopper, and yeah, I like to I find many people offer good service there. One person doesn't. You can always find someone who will. And they have enough cashiers working, so it's a good experience. And they've diversified their product lines a lot. So I would be disappointed if there's another strike because I wouldn't want to go against r ET.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I Jane, I appreciate the call. I want to grab Alex real quick on this, and I think you're absolutely right. I think the majority of the people out there think like you do. Thank you for waiting. And another thing, I will go into source and you have these I like to go to a cashier that cashes me out. You know they have the automatic thing. I mean there's one store where I go to the automatic checkout and it screws me up every time, and I have to have somebody come out from behind the couletar, punch in their code and fix it. Like you need to put a bag in the bagging section I don't need a bag. I'm buying two things. There's no bag in the bagging section. The computer's talking to me. I swear to God. People think I'm nuts because I'm yelling at the computer. I don't have any bags. I just want to buy some shaving cream. Alex, you're up WBZ. How you doing?
Speaker 6: Hey? How you doing?
Speaker 8: Grey? So it's Telemapos. I happened to be Greek, so I thought i'd just get that in there. You know, I love market Basket, and I find that all the other supermarkets, you know, Bar nine, they are slow. So in market Basket you have an option of ten if you have less than twelve items or less twenty others. So let's but they have enough cash registers where you're in and out real quick, and you can't beat their prices.
Speaker 6: I mean, it's unbelievable, Alex, I gotta go.
Speaker 2: But I agree with you. If I go to the one and Maynard, I see a cashiers, I do. I mean, because grocery stores want you to go to automatic checkout so they don't have to pay people. But the automatic checkout doesn't always work. They have one poor person there that has to deal with idiots like me and come over and swipe their card and reset it again. That's what I'm talking about. Good Luck to Market Basket, good luck to the thirty thousand employees. That's the most important thing. I have an next, Christina rex esquire the latest time Karen Reid and Blood in the Water with Casey Sherman at nine thirty