Speaker 1: Jane nine, first forty one four casts got partly the mostly clotic skies.
Speaker 2: Today after two pm is a chance to pop up.
Speaker 1: Storm seventy nine for the high and isolated storm possible over nine fifty nine for the low. Cloudy morning with a slight chance of rain, and then possible storms and showers later in the afternoon and evening Tomorrow's high seventy nine s body rain overnight on for tomorrow night. Saturday, we've got a dry day with the highest sixty five and mostly cloudy sky.
Speaker 2: It's fifty nine degrees right now. Traffic time from the UCUM Traffic Center. Right you see health.
Speaker 3: You'll find comprehensive care that's so personal it makes your best tomorrow possible. That's boundless care for better outcomes. Expect more at U see health dot com. Stap Bend seventy five break lights through Westchester, then Blachlan and heavy from seventy four to the Brand Spence. But the wreck that caused that backup is now clear. There's a wreckcon River after you got past State and westbound thirty two after you get pants two seventy five. Chuck Ingram on fifty five KODE Talk station.
Speaker 2: Hey, thirty one fifty five KR see talk station.
Speaker 1: I feel like I can exhale and put a smile on my face because time of week we always get to talk to I hurt. Media aviation expert Jay Ratt left. Jay, welcome back to the Morning show, my friend. I love having you on.
Speaker 4: Hey, pleasant, good morning to you. It's it's good to be back. Last Thursday, I'm like wandering around lost. I'm glad you were having a good time, but you know, I'm just yeah, it wasn't the same.
Speaker 1: So I'm glad we're chatting again. I am too, And I'd be honest with you. I was probably still sleeping.
Speaker 4: I didn't text you to ask how you were doing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Now that's funny because I always appreciate you and Dan Carly dor Kevin Gordon filling in for me, and I never listened because when I'm taking my days off and I'm doing this staycation, I am sleeping as late as I can because it's one of the things I enjoy, not having to get up at two thirty. But beyond that, and I always throw your curveball. I this is an opportunity for you to double on something you've warned people about. Time and time again. Alaska Airlines East one seventy five getting ready to leave Seattle Tacoma International Airport heading on over to Redmond Municipal and apparently traveler loading his gear up late pulled a tennis racket out of his bag and made a joke saying, well, I finally got the bomb in and that resulted and of course a delayed flight.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, in what happens is people say, oh, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, it was just a joke. Well, I'm sorry once the words come out of your mouth. There is no other protocol for anyone in the airline industry other than to a kick you off, b make sure all your check luggage is off, and they will probably many times they'll even do an inspection of the aircraft to make sure you didn't bring anything on board that you might have been able to get through. Security is a pain in the butt for everybody. And and well, you know a lot of times people are looking for a you know, make a joke, kaha kind of thing, and some people are just scared to death to fly, and when they do, they just babble on and sometimes they say some of the most ridiculous things that you could ever hear come out of their mouth, and all you do is inconvenience every single person. You'll probably never again fly that airline, right, and you're looking at a fine from the Federal Aviation Administration. I mean, you're gonna have years of problems because of one stupid comment. But the airline cannot allow that flight to be dispatched in the event. Somebody said that because if the airplane were to take off, god forbid, and have an accident and crash, there's three survivors. What's the three survivors going to report? Well, the last thing I remember was some guy saying at a bomb on an airplane? Right now, they could probably disprove that from the NTSB investigation, but the airlines are going to take that risk. It's simply not going to be allowed. And yeah, that was the end result.
Speaker 1: Well, as the article reports, I do it in abundance of caution. This is along lines with what you're talking talking about. The aircraft was deeplane and a canine searched the aircraft and cleared it for travel. Now is that do airports typically keep canines locally and they're ready to do.
Speaker 2: Something like this?
Speaker 4: Yeah, most many airports will have the canine teams that are there for explosive trace residue and other types of things that might be associated with an instrument of terror. A lot of times they're behind the scenes around the baggage after we've turned it over.
Speaker 2: Yeah check baggage.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, it's part of the process. You see them occasionally walking through the terminals, but most of the times it's behind the scenes. It's one of the many, many things we do from a security standpoint that people don't see. And when you have somebody that breaches security and gets past security, you've got to search. When you have someone that has made a threat, even though they say it's joking, you have to assume it's real and go from there. You also have to be concerned if they're flying with someone else, So a lot of times when they deplane, there will be a review by law enforcement to see if this individual was knowingly flying with someone, or if someone had an identical travel itinerary or something where if they're going to the same city, connecting to the same city, whatever, that individual is going to have a conversation and they're going to see if there's any connection between the person who said it was a joke and another passenger. So there's so many things that have to happen, and so many people are inconvenienced. Again, and believe me, law enforcement is going to go through it as though it's a real threat. And if they find out, you know it's not, that individual is going to be facing some serious consequences. But they have no choice. It's not like they can say, okay, that's all right. It's a lot like if if somebody boards an airplane and they're sitting there waiting for the crew to arrive. The crew comes in and everybody applause, we can go, and somebody says, oh, they were in the bar drinking. They've got us stop, go get the blood tests. We had that happened at Northwest with some stupid lady comment from the back of the airplane who said that, and the captain says, we can't leave. And it's because again, had that plane crashers three survivors. What are the gonna say, crew is drinking in the bar. It just you know, thankfully, with two and a half million people a day that fly Brian, this doesn't happen very often.
Speaker 2: Indeed it does.
Speaker 4: It makes headlines because of how many people were inconvenienced on that flight. And remember that plane's going somewhere else, so there's a bunch of people waiting for that plane to arrive so they can fly it to where they're going.
Speaker 1: The ripple effect is always something you mentioned too, Hey, real quick, were already hat of time in this thing, but I got to ask real quick. Thank god, there's the bomb sniffing dogs down looking for bags that have been stowed in the uestowe. Have they trained them to smell or sniff out lithium batteries because we've talked about the danger of lithium batteries and stowed luggage before. I'm just wondering if you have any knowledge on it.
Speaker 4: No, I don't believe. We've got our friends, our officers, the canine officers trained for quite that. I wish they could. We've got other ways to look to make sure that they don't make it on board a flight. But remember, if somebody has a bag at the gate that goes to the plane, that's always the difference.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, people, forget about that.
Speaker 1: Yep, get your liftium batteries out of any checked bag apause will bring them back. Apparently not a good week for Southwest Airlines more with Jay ratleft after I mentioned my dear friends at Plump Type Plumbing. You deserve better, locally owned serving the entire Try State. They treat every call like a neighbor asking for help, and that's why they are my go to plumbers. They've been over to my house a bunch of times, even times when I wish I really didn't need them. You know, the leaky chandelier thing can get no service fee. You get a free estimate or a plus with a better business bureau. Some pumps no problem. Low pressure in your pipes, no problem. Leaky pipes absolutely no problem. Clogged drains, of course they do that. And they are the Tri State's number one installer of tankless water heaters, which last a heck of a lot longer than your traditional one and provide you with unlimited hot water. It's the right way to go. It's modern technology and plump Tight does it all the time. To check them out online, go to plump Tight, t t E. Plump tight dot com five one three seven two seven Tight five one three seven two seven eighty four eighty three.
Speaker 2: Fifty five KRC.
Speaker 1: Chatline weather partly the mostly cloudy day after two pm when they get some pop up storms. We'll see a high of seventy nine fifty nine overnight with isolated storm possible. Seventy nine high again tomorrow with mostly cloudy skies, chancer rain in the morning and possible showers and storms in the afternoon, slash evening over night, maybe a little bit of spotty rain. And on Saturday we're going to see a dry day, mostly clouds, high at sixty five sixty degrees.
Speaker 2: Right now traffic time from the UCL Traffic Center. You see health.
Speaker 3: You'll find comprehensive care that's so personal it makes your best tomorrow possible. That's boundless care for better outcomes, expect more. And you see how dot Com seven seventy five continues slow through Wachland, getting better between Hoppel and downtown. After the eually your accident in Covington, Cruise are working with the wreck now west bound on thirty two just tempty got passed to seventy five. Chuck Ingram on fifty five krs deep talk station.
Speaker 2: Have you ever been in the cockpit before?
Speaker 1: Jared Alaff has thes iHeartMedia eighty as expert. We get him at three Thursday at eight thirty. So Jay apparently not good news to the Southwest Airline.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was a historic week in a bad way. Two days ago on Tuesday, they for the first time ever laid off employees seventeen hundred and fifty. In all, they have over seventy thousand employees, but it was the first time in the history of Southwest that they've ever had to lay off a single person. And in the early days when they only only had four airplanes, they couldn't meet payroll. Herb Kellerherd, the founder of Southwest, said well, we're not laying anyone off, so we sold one of his four airplanes to meet payroll. You have the attacks of nine to eleven, when a lot of things were happening and all airlines were in essence kind of laying some people off. Southwest did not even the pandemic when everybody was getting laid off. Southwest had nineteen percent of their workforce step forward and say, look, we'll take an early retirement so the people behind us can enjoy the career we had. So it's always been an object of pride, rightfully, so for Southwest to say, look, we take care of our employees. They come first. But now because of a lot of asenine management decisions have been taking place over the last I don't know, ten fifteen years where Southwest has abandoned what they do best because they want to be like everybody else. It's caused now the need to constrict as an airline, throttle back and unfortunately lay off some of their hard working employees, which you just hate to see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is a shame, but.
Speaker 1: You know, and I don't suppose anybody will be protesting in the streets and shedding the tier over the loss of any of those Southwest employees.
Speaker 2: The federal.
Speaker 4: When I put some on Facebook, and I did this because of my sister, I put on there what's that was going on the Southwest in the layoffs and said, do not association this was tariffs. Don't use it as some talking point to try to make a point on the current administration. This is something that's been in the work, yes for over a decade, and it's because they had a change in leadership and they had people that said, oh, we need to fly to LaGuardia, we need to fly and increase our presence in Atlanta and go to these airports that have such issues with congestion that instead of us using that silver revenue tube five segments a day, they can now only use it three and four because you're now flying into these areas where it's impossible to turn that airplane quickly. So yes, now Southwest is like everybody else. And when you have nine hundred airplanes and you can get an extra segment, another segment of profit from every aircraft every day, it adds up big time. And that's one of the reasons that for decades Southwest, when nobody was making a profit, they continue to make money year after year after year. They were the airline of the year. They were the airline that everyone on the planet wanted to be like. They were doing so many things great, and then, like so many businesses, let's try new coke, they decide to pivot and do something totally in a different direction, trying to be like other people instead of simply doing what you do best.
Speaker 1: Well, let's get this one more in real quick before we get to the break here, we finally have some helicopter traffic changes after the impact in Washington.
Speaker 4: Yeah. In fact, the Federal Aviation Administration has been obviously spending a lot of time reviewing what went wrong in DC when you had the situation, and then of course we had we've had other situations where we've had helicopters in near proximity to active airports, and the FA is noticing several airports acluding Boston, New York, Baltimore, Detroit, Chicago, and others that have helicopter traffic that is in the near proximity to the airport, and they're already making changes because, as you and I've talked about for years, anytime there's an accident, the main goal is to honor the lives of those that were lost by trying to make things safer so that we can prevent that kind of tragedy in the future. And there's a lot of attention right now in Las Vegas because there's a lot of helicopter tours around the Las Vegas area, and what they're trying to do is make sure that they don't have a situation where you're going to have these helicopters operating too close to the active either military and or commercial air traffic. So they're using artificial intelligence and other types of technology to a identify and then to make the changes that they need to make. And I'm really I'm glad to see it, but Brian it it's one of those things again, Why did it take a loss of life for these things to be done?
Speaker 2: New?
Speaker 4: For years, the number of these occurrences were on the increase. Well, nothing's happened, so I guess we're okay. And that's a deadly, deadly, deadly, you know, standpoint for people to take and sadly in aviation that tends to be what happens.
Speaker 2: It sure is.
Speaker 1: It's just still scratching my head over how that could have possibly happened.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what.
Speaker 1: We'll bring Jay Ratliff back for learn about Apparently Frontier Airlines Jet made a mistake and hub delays. Of course we always end on hub delays. One more with Jay, just stick around me right back.
Speaker 2: Fifty five KRC is your one more time with the Gen nine weather.
Speaker 1: It's going to be partly to mostly thy pop up storms after two PM possible seventy nine for the high fifty nine over night with an isolated storm possible. Rain in the morning possible, and then a chance of storms and showers later in the afternoon and evening. Seventy nine for the high tomorrow then spotting rain overnight with a high of sixty five on Saturday and mostly thody skies sixty degrees right now, time for final traffic from the.
Speaker 3: UC Transic Centery. You see Health GI on comprehensive care. That's so personal it makes your best tomorrow possible. That's boundless care for better outcome, So expect more.
Speaker 2: Had you see how dot com North.
Speaker 3: Bend seventy time continues slow out of arrow Winger into downtown Stop Bend heavy gets through Wakland and then from just above Hoppele to the Brands Spence after problems earlier Stop Bend seventy one, you're up and on the brakes from above two seventy five passed the Reagan Highway shock Abramont fifty five K.
Speaker 2: See the talk station.
Speaker 1: It is a forty nine on a Friday eve Tech Friday with Dave Hatter and the return of Corey Bowman, who probably has jumped up in the hearts and minds of the folks at Hyde Park as a Merriw candidate given what the council did to him the other day. So we'll have Corey in tomorrow. In the meantime, one more segment here with iHeart media aviation expert Jay Ratliffe. So, what happened with the Frontier Airlines jet.
Speaker 4: It was in Seattle, it was taxing for takeoffs on a taxiway in the plane broke down.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, got stuck.
Speaker 4: So you're now at a point where it can't go anywhere. You have other airplanes lined up behind them. They can't go around, they can't turn around. You need to if if you know them initially that it's gonna be a while, you would bring out tugs to kind of move the airplanes around as you need them.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The problem is you think it's gonna get fixed pretty soon. It's like a weather situation. We call them creeping delays, where it's gonna be a minimal delay. Well, here's thirty minutes, Well it shouldn't be much longer. Now it's an hour. We had flights out there delayed more than two hours because of this jet, and it was just, you know, with all the flights we have in the course of the day, I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often. No injuries, but you talk about the aggravation factor. I mean, you've got passengers going nowhere that are stuck on a plane, and since you're on an active taxiway, the rules are specifically you can't get up and use the laboratory. Now, in a situation like this, it's gonna be up to the cap discretion, even though by the book, you're on an active taxiway and nobody's supposed to get out of their seats. But obviously if you're stuck, they probably gave them some relief there. But you're not going anywhere, And I mean maybe your flight's only an hour and a half and you spend two hours on the aircraft.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but wait a second, I'm more intrigued than puzzled by was this a single engine craft or something?
Speaker 2: I mean, how does an airplane just break down?
Speaker 4: Well, I'm anxious to see the report on that, but they had to put out an alert at the airport telling everybody on the traffic part to expect delays with that particular airport. So, yeah, it was a aircraft that well relatively knew, I think was delivered in twenty eighteen or so. But it's just amazing when you have one airplane that traps, if you will, other airplanes. Yes, on the Texaway and you've seen it when they're all lined up. I mean, there knows tail nose to tail, nose to tail.
Speaker 2: It's like a traffic channel.
Speaker 4: It was it, and wow, you've got mechanical situations. And I'll be anxious to see exactly what the extent of that was, because in essence, have two independently operated engines that you can use. But something prevented that from happening, and that airplane wasn't going anywhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hey, real quick, before we get to hub the lays, I throw this curve ball light because I saw that China was refusing to accept its delivery of Boeing aircraft. They built those aircraft as the consequence of an order placed by China or the Chinese airline. How in the hell can an airline refuse delivery of a product that it promised to pay for.
Speaker 4: Well, it could be that there was a delivery date provision, a clause in that contract that says, if we get the aircraft by this date, we will pay it. If not, we've got the options to do this, this or that. Blowing planes are arriving late, so they had that opt out. But the problem is you may have ordered these four years ago, so you're not going to say we don't want them to get rid of them kind of thing. But what happens is they refuse them. Like Boeing's going to care. Don't worry. We have seven thousand back order airplanes. We'll give them to another one quickly. And that's when Boeing and other aircraft manufacturers get paid, not until that aircraft is physically delivered. So you absent of a paint job, although a lot of times the airlines take care of that. Yeah, anybody's going to take that airplane. So there's a long line of eager airlines saying, Shina, if you don't want them to, we will glad look at him and go from there.
Speaker 1: And based on our prior conversations, that should have popped into my head because I have already mentioned that there are is a long, long list of planes that are waiting for delivery.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of moving parts here.
Speaker 2: Cars keep up with it.
Speaker 1: The couple and often parts from the don't use parts bend anyhow, we have on hub delays. What's going on out there in the world of air travel today jack a lot.
Speaker 4: Of bad weather, But the only hubs I think are going to be impacted are Dallas, Minnesota, I think Minnesota in Minneapolis is going to probably be the hardest hit of the two. But if you're going through either the Delta Hub Dallas Hub for American or Delta Shub in Minneapolis, expect some delays. The rest of the country should be in pretty good shape today.
Speaker 1: Always enjoy the conversation, Jay Rathl. I've already looking forward to next Thursday. Have a wonderful balance of your week and a great weekend, and we'll get together an eight thirty next Thursday.
Speaker 4: On May first.
Speaker 2: I believe it's good. That's right.
Speaker 4: I'll talk to you next month.
Speaker 2: My friend take.
Speaker 1: Care Man coming up on eight fifty five. If you didn't get a chance, and I'm telling you Todd Zinzer Citizen Watchdog, get his podcast Citizen Watchdog, former Inspector General for the United States, I mean, the city of Cincinnati. What a clown car. I just I'm just reflecting on everything he revealed this morning about where their expenditures and their priorities lie. I'm survived this. I'm surprised the city can even survive under its current leadership. If you didn't get a chance to listen, that is well worth your time. You spend an hour in studio in seven o'clock, so if I have carec dot com for that, and of course my conversation with Jay tomorrow, Tech Friday with Dave Hatter and the return of endorsed now by Todd Zenzer Corey Bowman, who probably got a big leg up yesterday considering Cincinnia City Council shot down the hopes and dreams of so many people in Hyde Park. It's amazing. But anyway, that'll be tomorrow. I hope you can tune in for that program. I hope you have a wonderful day. Thank you Joe Strecker for all that you do for the show, and don't go away. Clean backs up.
Speaker 2: Next. News happens fast, stay up to date at the top of the hour.
Speaker 1: You're moving very quickly at fifty five KRC the talk station.
Speaker 2: This report is sponsored