Speaker 1: I've got a theory, and I don't know if I've never heard this from anyone else, but it's like, I'm not sure if I believe it, But the theory goes for Somali's gunfire isn't necessarily an attempt on your life. It's a form of dialogue.
Speaker 2: East African proverb.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you could take it as that where you could take it. You know, us in the Western world, you know when someone shoots at you, like, okay, it's on. You mean to kill me, and I am emboldened to use the same measures against you. But for them, maybe it's not quite the same as that. Maybe it's just an escalation in.
Speaker 1: The dialogue or a way of saying, hey, I see you everyone.
Speaker 2: I'm Jack Murphy. This is the Team House and tonight's guest is Dave Leaning. Dave served as a Royal Marine and then he worked for a number of different private military companies doing counter piracy work in Africa. So this is sort of a UNIEK episode, and I think Dave has some pretty unique insights working the piracy issue, doing things like ransom deliveries, hostage recoveries, and all sorts of interesting anecdotes. As we go on. But Dave, welcome to the show. I'm happy to have you here.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much Jack for the introduction, and thank you for having me.
Speaker 3: It's a huge honor, and I definitely feel a little bit of imposter syndrome being here, given that you've had some very eminent guests and speakers on before me.
Speaker 1: But I'll try and do my best and sort of recount some of the experiences I had and hopefully have something to share with your audience and shed light on a subject which I don't think many people have covered before. So yeah, let's let's get into it.
Speaker 2: So start at the beginning. Tell us a little bit about what your pathway was into the Royal Marines.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So I've been to university college call it here, and I hadn't actually thought of joining until I found.
Speaker 1: Myself in a sort of a loss as to what to do.
Speaker 3: And my old man had been in the military, he had been an army commando, and yeah, I figured, why not give it a go.
Speaker 1: I don't do four years. See if I was as tough as my old man was, get green beret and see if I can, you know, get a war under my belt, because you know, there's a young man. All that kind of stuff seemed exciting and was definitely very appealing. So, you know, I showed up at a recruiting center, got fed all the lies about what great stuff I would get to do, and you know, showed up at Limpston Commando one day at that train station, that platform that you go through, and began the process for becoming a warm warning Commando. I you know, got through the commander course, I broke both my feet, had to spend twelve sixteen weeks in rehabilitation, and then rejoined a true and then yeah, went on did my service, did the minimum contract that four years, one month and one day, not that anyone was counting by that stage, And yeah, I got a tour of Afghanistan. It was an adventure.
Speaker 3: You know, we can we can circle back to commando training and that that experience and my time in Afghanistan, which interestingly enough, actually sort of intersects with one of your recent guests, Jay Jane Morton. Yeah, twenty second sas he was talking about the exact same places that I was. We relieved his company I think he was three Power and I was LEAMA Company four to Commando and it was Op Sarah the relief in place of three power, and so I know the exact position he was talking about, and he mentioned an orchard at that position in sangin me just cover up my opera there.
Speaker 1: That is that orchard? Wow? And the river that he mentioned that is that river?
Speaker 2: You would swim it in it? You guys are crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you could bathe and you could wash your clothes, have a swim. The Afghan National Army would sit out there watching you.
Speaker 1: So we christened them cop watches after a while because they seem to drive enormous pleasure from watching.
Speaker 3: Marines stroking, stroking the whatever does it for them?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Really random to to watch that on your show a couple of weeks ago and see that and be.
Speaker 2: Like I was there, So tell us about Afghanistan with the Royal Marines.
Speaker 3: Uh, well, I figured I would skip past that and go to the unique selling point of my experience because you've had tons of guys with way more operational experience than me.
Speaker 1: And really, I mean, I got to see some cool stuff, but I can't really add anything to that.
Speaker 3: But what I can do is talk about the Parson thing, which is a bit more unique.
Speaker 1: Don't clicks on this because they wanted to know about.
Speaker 2: Right, we don't have to spend so much time dwelling on it. But if you want to share a couple like formative experiences in Afghanistan and we can move on.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, all right, first I'm going to have to do myself a little bit cerebral do vacation, and wouldn't you know it's an opportunity to show you a little relic from that time. Do you recognize one of these?
Speaker 2: Is that a mortar round or no, that's an RPG, that's an RPG rocket.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and that was I collected that from It was the morning after a contact, pretty decent one. And yeah I found that near opposition when a seven day freed us. And it's got a neat trick as well. Okay, so yeah, that was the shiftest business trip I ever went on. But I got a free free bottle opener from it.
Speaker 2: A good deal.
Speaker 1: You survived, Yeah, so yeah, I I didn't do an awful lot.
Speaker 3: You know, I got out on the ground, I saw sang In. I was there for a couple of months. I got like and like a the battle when we sort of relieved three power. You know, some of my friends were on the ground convoy coming in the ground convoy never quite made it in.
Speaker 1: We flew in on chinooks. Just flying in was pretty.
Speaker 3: It was pretty raw, Like they tore the seats out of the chinooks so they could pack in as many guys as possible. We were sitting like three, three side by side and as many deep as we could with each marine had his legs wrapped around the marine in front to squeeze the sit as tight as they could.
Speaker 1: So it was all very very intimate.
Speaker 3: And I remember a certain point the door gun has tested their guns as we were flying along, and the marine and left of me turned and smiled and we were punching each other thing. It's like, it's just like that movie. What's it called a full metal Jacket where the door go shooting it? Yeah, uh, it was. It was kind of like a movie. I'm probably going to say this a lot of times, but when when you grow up watching movies and TV and something happens and that's your only point of reference, you're like, wow, this is just like a movie. And so yeah, at a certain point, the load master told us to get up, stand up, and once again it was like that band of brothers where each man is lifting up the man behind them, and you have that moment where your eyes meet and you're like, Okay, for most of us, this is our first time going in.
Speaker 1: We know Sanging has been the hottest.
Speaker 3: The hottest patrol base in the whole of Helmet, and it's likely it's going to get hop on the way in, and you know, for most of our time there, and then, you know, maybe my mind is playing false with me, but I do distinctly remember one of the load masters calling out, or maybe it was just being dramatic, but hot ls hot els, and then starting to hear the sort of clack claque of of you know, rounds going off and grounds being fired in coming and out going, and feeling that helicopter start to sway and lurch and everyone sort of you know, trying.
Speaker 1: To grab one to the man next to them, and then.
Speaker 3: It coming in for that landing, the door going being I think the door was already down.
Speaker 1: The door was already down, of course it was.
Speaker 3: And then just seeing that orange haze and just being told go and running into it, and yeah, I didn't I didn't expect to be leading off with this. I thought I'd start with the paras and just thinking about it as giving.
Speaker 1: Me a little bit of a horrible bit of a flutter. But yeah, I had like a almost like I was on top of the fire support tower for a lot of the battle, and I saw I saw some pretty cool stuff. I remember seeing there was this one woodline call one back wood.
Speaker 3: The Powers had christened it, or the unit before christened it because they used to use these recallless rifles and known as wombats from that particular place. And I swear I saw a one of those French Mirage jets, the thing that has like a delta dagger type wing shape, dropping like I'm not even sure they were in Afghanistan at the time, but that's what I remember, and it flew over that tree line and dropped cluster bombs and seeing the crackle and burst like fire crackers like fireworks.
Speaker 1: That was pretty cool.
Speaker 3: And then one guy taking potshots at us from around the wall and just seeing water and anyone water dropped right on him and just seeing that.
Speaker 1: Disappear where he was disappear in a cloud.
Speaker 3: Of smoke, and you know, you know, hearing RPGs coming overhead Chinese one oh seven's being fired, running for cover falling down a staircase and landing at the bottom in a pilot, you know, in a disgusting pile of snot with a with a reporter I think who was actually from the Sun at the time. And and then there was even like some guy who was doing a camera piece on the rooftop to a news channel with a cameraman behind, almost like full metal jacket again.
Speaker 1: And I just happened to be in the background, and I thought, I'm gonna turn and look at the camera. I'm gonna turn and look at the camera and give it a thousand yards there. So I did.
Speaker 3: And that must have been broadcast because although I'd been lying to my dad saying no, I'm all right, I'm safe, I'm on Camp Bastard, my aunt saw it and said.
Speaker 1: I've seen him there. He's on Count Bastion anymore. He's been sent to the front line. Oh my god.
Speaker 3: But yeah, there was that, and yeah, the seeing the powers man. They've been there for almost their whole tour, and their uniforms were worn and faded. They all had beards, they were tanned, and we were just you know, all idea was fresh out of the issue of the stores not a spected dirt or dust on it.
Speaker 1: Every man was shaven.
Speaker 3: And then no, I guess you know, two months later we must have looked kind of like they did because well you can see in the in.
Speaker 1: The picture I had it had a good old operational beer going there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, your starter set.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but yeah it was. It was some pretty wild experiences and but yeah it was.
Speaker 3: I'm not being funny, but within the first seventy two hours of getting on the ground and talking to the interpreters, I almost called them terps.
Speaker 1: Again.
Speaker 3: I know it's kind of pseudo derogatory term for them, but yeah, talking to them and you know, having a surer with the locals, which of course I wasn't invited because you know, Lordly Marine.
Speaker 1: Was the you know, the officers who who would do that. But you could see the different types of people coming to the surer. You can see Afghans who were clearly talent ban marking your positions, calculating your fire power and numbers, and the hate was just rising off them almost like a like a like a shimmer, like a heat haze you see on a on a road on a hot day. And then you could see locals or low elders and you know, local leaders who were just in the middle trying to.
Speaker 3: Trying to figure out the way for everything to get done with as least housele as possible. And so it's like the three types that I came across, those who were just telling you what you what they thought you wanted to hear, those who hated you with the passion and wanted to see you dead, and those who would just go along to get along. And yeah, I'd been on the ground seventy two hours and I thought, I don't think this is gonna work.
Speaker 1: And twenty twenty one was rough. Man, I believe you did. You did a tour of gowns as.
Speaker 2: Well, much earlier, like four oh five.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it was it was a foregone conclusion, I believe. I mean, I'm not just being smart about it. I do remember thinking that at the time, and like watching a train wreck in slow motion, final conclusion being it was twenty twenty on right it fell?
Speaker 2: That was twenty one or twenty two, Yeah, twenty one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was.
Speaker 3: Rough to see it happen. And yeah, I tried to make a rule for myself. If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all, so you know, we all know, we all know the school that we're there, so let's just draw a line under it and move on.
Speaker 2: And when you got back from Afghanistan, I were you pretty much dead, said on getting out of the Royal Marines at that point.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, the Royal Marines.
Speaker 3: Made a huge mistake and losing me when they sent me on a scuba course in Egypt. And I've been trying to figure out what do I want to do when I get out of the court.
Speaker 1: You know, am I going to stay for four years, five years? Whatever?
Speaker 3: And then they sent me on this scuba course and I had like one of the best times of my life in this resort called Hugarda while We're doing a couple of paddy courses and I was like, well, that's it.
Speaker 1: I'm going to be a scuba instructor when I get out.
Speaker 3: That is all I aspired to, living by the sea, in the sunshine and teaching scuba diving to pretty girls in bikinis. I figured there was no higher calling in life. And yeah, I made plans.
Speaker 1: And positions, had an internship lined up in Gibraltar, so as soon as I got out, I used my post operational tour leave to get on that and yeah, I get going.
Speaker 3: So yeah, when I got out, I spent the summer there a first training as an instructor and then working and taking people out diving and working as a bouncer at a couple of bars and clubs. In Gibraltar itself, I was living on a dilapidated yacht that legend had It was owned by a former London gangster.
Speaker 1: I don't know if he really was or not. He would come out every night and again. The rest of the time.
Speaker 3: It was myself and a bunch of young people, backpackers from Australia Europe living on this yacht in the marina. They called it the party boat. We had a great time, loved diving, loved yeah, loved everything about it. It was the best post operational decompression you go through, and yeah, one of the best summers of my life did that, and at the end of it, I was like, you know, I really miss having that three sixty challenge. That's a challenge to mind, body and soul that to a certain extent you get from uniform service. And so I came up with this plan to try and ski the length of Norway. It's an accepted set of Norwegian challenge they call it Norge par Lands, where you start at the southern tip of Norway and then you ski. I thought it was eighteen hundred miles, but I read I was researching it before doing this, and I saw someone say it's actually sixteen hundred, so not as much as I thought. But it took me one hundred and twenty two days in the snow, and yeah, I got there.
Speaker 1: I didn't think I would.
Speaker 3: There was a few things along the way that you know, almost prevented me from doing it, And yeah, I had a huge sense of accomplishment from that, and I thought, right now it's time for another season of stuba diving. Went to a place called Antiparos, which is in the Ciplades Islands in Greece. Had a great summer, you know, another one of the best of my life. Beautiful island and if anyone is considering going on a diving holiday, anti Paros in Greece is a great destination.
Speaker 1: It's a really small island. It's only got like.
Speaker 3: A summer popular winter population of five hundred, so it's much smaller and intimate than some of your bigger places.
Speaker 1: Like Naxos or what's the one where you never mind?
Speaker 3: And yeah, great diving, great little town, nice tavernas, nice bars, nice square. Had a great time relaxed, and then got back home to my dad's house and said to myself, right, I'm in the mood for another challenge. And so I had this sort of embryonic idea to try and do something with the skills that the Corps had given me, to do something positive that was beyond politics, because of course Afghan left it a little bit of a bitter taste in the mouth.
Speaker 1: You could say.
Speaker 3: And I'd seen a few years before about how there was a sort of poaching wars going on in East Africa with you know, some former military guys trying to fight the poachers who were trying to kill the rhinos and the elephants for their the ivory and the horn. And I thought that would be a cool thing to do. And then I heard through the grapevine that a figure from my service who is going to crop off a few times in the story. I was involved in that, and this figure was the guy who was the colonel in charge of the Commander Training Center. When I passed through a very charismatic and inspiring man, a huge man as well, and he gives you your speech roup he gave to my intake the speech on your first day after you signed the form and you know, pledge your whatever to whatever. And then he was there at the end of the thirty miler and gave me the green beret when I completed that, and again when I passed out. And you know, he was a kind of a legendary figure in the British Commandos and he had also been in the SPS, and I believe he went on to command the SPS.
Speaker 1: And yes, yes, but.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure at least one of them, maybe both, but who's counting at that stage. He was a very accomplished soldier and kind of a legend in the British Commandos and British Special Forces. And anyone from my sort of generation who's been through will instantly know who I'm talking about.
Speaker 1: But I'm not going to mention him by name here. Please edit it out if I do so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I heard he was involved in anti poaching work. I'd heard he'd been involved in East Africa and in the Congo, and I was able to dig up his number from somewhere and gave.
Speaker 1: Him a call out the blue, as you do to you know.
Speaker 3: The former commandant of Limbstone who you probably haven't seen him however many years and has no reason to remember you. But he said, no, I do remember you, which I thought was a lie at the time, But if we get the time later, I'll circle back to why.
Speaker 2: That probably was because you got in trouble and you had to go to his life.
Speaker 3: Oh I was in trouble enough, but not for that, not that type. And I said, hey, I'm I'm, I'm, I'm you know Marine Sons. You gave me a green ray one time, and you know, done this and that, And I heard you were involved in anti poaching and I'd really like to get involved.
Speaker 1: What are the what are the options, what are the opportunities? And he was like, yeah, i'd probably hook you up with that.
Speaker 3: You know, the sort of thing you'd be doing is managing a team of fifty rangers privately employed, and you know a half dozen land cruisers covering a conservancy the size of however many thousand miles up in this district, all this country, and yeah, yeah, send me a CV and I'll see what I can do I'll be in touch, and I was like, wow, I can't believe it, just talking to you know, Papa Green Moray here, and he actually was, you know, didn't just put down the phone on me or laugh at my face. So I sent off the CV and you know, took a moment and my heart was fluttering a bit. And he called me back fifteen minutes later and he said, I know you've never done anything.
Speaker 1: Like this, but would you be open to doing a job on the private security side. Now, when I'd left the military, I'd known about.
Speaker 3: Guys going to PSD details or our Afghanistan, the money.
Speaker 1: To be made.
Speaker 3: I had heard the stories and they even send they even sent one of them back to lecture us on why not to do it, obviously so that they could keep up their attention. Yeah, not that I put much faith in that. And I had said to myself, I'm never going to do that. I'm never going to go to private security.
Speaker 1: And it sounds dramatic, but I said, I'm never working with a gun in my hand again. So yeah, I know I'd become a hypocrite, and who doesn't, but wanting to work in anti poaching would obviously be breaking that rule, but mean I'll have to I'll have to sort of stretch my head and conscience around that somehow.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, I didn't think I would ever get involved in private security, promised myself I wouldn't, and here it was the opportunity.
Speaker 1: So Colonel said to me, can you can you be on a plane tonight? And you know, if you if you go to Heathrow right now and present yourself off of the you know, the check in desk for this airline, say you name, there will be a ticket for you. And you know, obviously I'll say what's the job? And he said, well, I can't tell you until you get here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, should I pack a coat? Or what are we doing?
Speaker 1: Yeah? He said it is. It is going to be taking a package from one location to another, exchanging that package for another package, and bringing it back out to another location. And if we if you get here and you don't want the job, I'll give you five thousand and a plane ticket back. That will be the end of it. As in, you know, once I tell you the details of what you'll really be doing and you're like, no, no time out, I don't want this, You'll get five thousand a plane ticket back. Fine. If for whatever reason, we get to the launch point and it's canceled, that will be ten thousand. If we get to the exchange and it's unsuccessful, that will be fifteen. And if the exchange is successful, you'll get twenty and it's going to be approximately.
Speaker 3: You know, pre week's work. And I was just blown away by this. He's got me on the phone on the spot. Decision go no go.
Speaker 1: I said, yeah, okay, put the phone down and went and packed to bag.
Speaker 2: If upgrading your full sleep setup has been on the list for a while, ghost Bed's fourth of July sale is the time to actually do it right now. You can get two hundred and fifty dollars off mattress bundles, which means you can add cooling pillows, cooling sheets, or an adjustable base and still come out well ahead of what you'd pay anywhere else. And as a Teamhouse listener, you get an extra ten percent off on top of that using the code House. Ghostbed is a family owned company with more than twenty years of mattress making experience. Their background is in manufacturing, so every product in their lineup is built with the same focus on materials and construction rather than marketing spend in inflated markups. Every Ghostbed mattress is built with cooling from the ground up and their pro core support layer, which reinforces the center of the mattress where your body puts the most weight. Don't take it from me, They've got more than one hundred thousand positive reviews from people who made the switch and didn't look back. Mattresses are made in the USA and Canada and come with a one hundred and one night sleep trial, fast and free shipping, and a warranty up to twenty five years, twice the industry standard. Not sure where to start, head to ghostbed dot com slash house and take their mattress quiz to find the right mattress, then build from there. Go to ghostbed dot com slash house and use the promo code house at checkout. That's ghostbed dot com slash house promo code House. Some exclusions apply sea site for details. Guys, if you're a lady, or you're a fella, or that person that sends you an eggpoint emoji at ti T is ready for better sex than you should be two. That's where blue Choo comes in. They have been on a mission for years to help get you bricked up, build your confidence, and help you actually perform in the bedroom. Their new arousal boosting formula, blue Chew Gold, is helping millions of men have better sex in twenty twenty six. While most eed meds focus only on blood flow, blue Cheo Gold goes further by combining two ingredients for blood flow with two ingredients for mental arousal and connection, so you're not just physically ready, you're actually in the mood. This type of innovation is why Blue Cheo Gold is the number one brand in a rectile function. Don't let your mind get in the way of a good time. Discover your options at blue cheo dot com, and we've got a special deal for our listeners right now. When you buy two months of blue Cheo Gold, you get a third for free with the promo code house Call. That's promo code house Call. Visit blue cheo dot com for more details and important safety information, and we thank Blue Cheo for sponsoring this podcast. One thing I love about summer is how easy everything feels. The days are a little more relaxed, and I find myself reaching for the same comfortable, go anywhere pieces again and again That's why I keep coming back to Quints. They focus on well made essentials that naturally become those everyday staples you actually live in all season long. Quince is one hundred percent European linen. Pants and shirts, are breathable, easy to throw on, and the summer upgrade your rotation needs, starting at just thirty four dollars. Their teas are soft enough to live in all day, and lightweight cotton sweaters are exactly what you want when summer nights cool down. Everything at Quint's is priced fifty to eighty percent less than similar brands. They work directly with ethical factories and cut out the middlemen, so you're paying for exceptional quality, not brand mark up. And it's not just clothing. Quints has become a trusted favorite for everything from home to travel to everyday essentials. Make your summer wardrobe easier. Go to quints dot com slash house for free shipping on your order in three hundred and sixty five day returns now available in Canada too. That's q U I n CE dot com slash house for free shipping and three hundred and sixty five day returns. Quints dot com slash house.
Speaker 1: And like my inner twelve year old was sort of saying to me, like, I knew this was going to happen one day. I knew it. But at the same time, I was like, this is real. This isn't a movie. You know. Why what do they want with you? What skills do you have that no one else could fulfill? Because this guy has got to have a dozen former regiment, former Pool or former Heraford guys he could call on why do they want you? Like, what do you bring to the table?
Speaker 3: Sure you got one tour in a dream rate, but that is not what Anyway, I had a lot of misgivings.
Speaker 1: I was concerned. I thought maybe I was going to be roped in to be a patsy or a fall guy for something. I told my dad and you know, shared my misgivings with him, and he was like, yeah, I know, I've got the same misgivings.
Speaker 3: But if I was a young man like you, I'd probably go as well. So But the main thing that decided it for me was I thought the colonel would not betray one of his marines because one of the one of the main things that one of the main takeaways you would get if you met the man was his integrity and that kind of shone through in everything he said and did, And I thought, there's no way he would knowingly or willingly betray one of his marines. He's not setting me up to be the fall guy. This is genuine and I don't understand.
Speaker 1: Why or what for yet. So yeah, I got on the plane.
Speaker 3: I got on the train, got to Ethrow, and a part of me had been saying, no, this is a bite someone's having on it.
Speaker 1: Someone's putting your leg here.
Speaker 3: Like a few minutes after you sent your CV, he called up, you know, Paul.
Speaker 1: And asked, do you remember this guy? Do you remember this guy? Yeah? I know it's Dave, pull his leg, get on a bite. So I was genuinely surprised when I got to the check in desk and said my name and there was actually a ticket there, And yeah, I got on the plane. Obviously I didn't sleep on the flight. I remember looking down it was a night flight as it flew over Africa and seeing some of those little lights below and thinking, you know, this is like the deepest, darkest Africa, Like like, what's that book where the guy's going down the river to meet with.
Speaker 2: Now sorry, Apaly now.
Speaker 1: Pop Clyps now. But it was based on a book called Heart of Darkness. Yeah, I'd read Hard at Darkness and you know, the Darkest Africa and all the sort of mystery and fear that's.
Speaker 3: Associated with that. Now with the Marines, I had been on jungle training in West.
Speaker 1: Africa when I was Wrecky Troupe, and so I'd spent you know, six weeks there. But when you're sort of infolded in the bosom of the military, you're protected, you are you know that if you're a casualty, they'll get you out, they'll get you back one way or another. You have all the logistical sport, the commands, support and communications, the QRF.
Speaker 3: Yeah, everything is there. Well, there's a huge apparatus there to protect you and help you achieve your mission. And now I was going private, something I'd never contemplated doing before, and I'd just done it at the drop of a hat, and you.
Speaker 1: Know, sold my principles as well for a considerable summer money in two thousand and eight.
Speaker 3: That was quite a lot. That was enough to pay off my student loan and buy a motorcycle.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So well, anyway, this is what was going through my ahead, and the Colonel has said to me, when you get to the airport, there'll be a guy at the the you know, when you come out of the terminal, there'll be a guy with two numbers on a piece of paper, four and two. Just go with him, right. I was like, this is like some sort of spy stuff. It's like I've been dropped in the middle of Jason Born here and I'm just the comedy sidekick. But that's kind of how I felt at the time. So yeah, it was. It was kind of terrifying. And the guy was there at the airport. I got in his car, I said where we're going. He said, we're going to the Colonel's house. So that's where we went.
Speaker 3: And being in you know a West African sorry, in East African capital, it was you know, the sites and smells.
Speaker 1: If you have you ever been to.
Speaker 2: To Africa, West Africa, not East.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, you know, burning trash has the same smell wherever you Yeah, and the call to prayer that's, you know, a a distinctive part of it. It's it's very different when you're in the Asia in the Middle East to when you're in Africa. They have a different cadence, if you could call it that, And yeah, it was.
Speaker 1: It was kind of overwhelming seeing you raff right outside the airport as well.
Speaker 3: On the drive and got to the colonel's compound I should say house, and met him, and yeah, he was just as imposing as I remembered, except he now had a beard. And he put me up in his his guest house on his on his property, and he took you know, took me to his office and he explained what the job was. It was taking ransom to Somalia and coming back out with not one, but.
Speaker 1: Two ships that have been held hostage by the pirates for the last couple of months.
Speaker 3: And you know, he confirmed the terms. I think I had a an NDA to sign. I think I had an insurance politic policy to sign, a which had a kidnapper ratsom claws to it, which said that there would be two hundred and fifty thousand in ransom if I was taking you know, hostage, that would be you know, a paid in order to get me out.
Speaker 1: And yeah, it was shown to this guest house. It was a pretty nice place, beautiful setting, which I became very familiar with in later years. The area rather than the house itself. And yeah, at a certain point he came out from the house with a couple of beers and we sat in his garden having beers, me and the former head of UKSF, which was well, you know, meeting your heroes. It was pretty heavy stuff.
Speaker 3: You know, just meeting him or speaking to him, but now being taken into his circle of trust, and you know, him telling me about the job, and he did confess, you know, we are a bit under gunned.
Speaker 1: There are some risks involved, but you know, we've done this once before and.
Speaker 3: It went okay, and we're hoping to do it again with the same formula. And you know, and later that night, I actually was invited to dinner with his family. His kids were there, his wife was there, and you know, after that, the kids went to bed, and the three of us, you know, a colonel, his wife, we set out on the on the grass, saw sunset.
Speaker 1: They were drinking wine. I think I had a beer, and.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he really you can say, took me into his family and made me feel.
Speaker 1: Made me feel very privileged to sort of experience that hospitality. And yeah, we talked about a lot of stuff. Tell you. At one point, and this is an insight into the man himself.
Speaker 3: At one point he went back to the house to get another bottle of wine, and his wife was a very.
Speaker 1: Very beautiful, graceful lady.
Speaker 3: It was just the two of us for five minutes, and she said to me, I don't suppose you can tell us where you're going, can you? Because I guess she knew something was coming, you know, she must have known that the colonel was going to be away for a few days. And then she said, I probably don't want to know, do I? And that one thing kind of.
Speaker 1: Illustrated to me how the colonel, with him his large and life personality, is sort of insane level of confidence and self assurance, which she might have come across some characters in the military who have this.
Speaker 3: It wasn't just an act with him. A man genuinely had ice in his veins because he hadn't even confided in.
Speaker 1: His wife where he was going with what he was doing. Now, for me, my wife, that's my best friend, that's my confident. I could not keep us something like that from her. I would have to share that kind of thing. I mean, I don't have.
Speaker 3: That level of crazy self confidence that I could just keep it to myself.
Speaker 1: I'd have to share it. He hadn't, I guess.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, a guy who's done as many things as he has has probably found that formula by trial and error, and that it's probably safest to protect them by not telling your loved ones what you're doing or what you're going into.
Speaker 1: So they don't worry about it. But I just I had not made the same stuff.
Speaker 3: I would have to share that fear and my fears and doubts with my best friend.
Speaker 1: I could not do that. So yeah, to me, that's like that was the most the most amazing thing about it.
Speaker 3: Is he he It wasn't just an act that he dropped when he was with family.
Speaker 1: He was like that all the time.
Speaker 3: And yeah, it was kind of a kind of a chilling thing for me a little bit, but yeah, you know, he came back.
Speaker 1: Then the next day there was briefing. I met the rest of the team. It was very diverse, a mix of expats, Europeans and Africans, and the briefing was extensive and you know, and in it actions on what do we.
Speaker 3: Do if we are approached, what do we do if we're contacted? We were sailing in two tugboats from a port in East Africa up the coast. We had two ransoms we did which we didn't have on us at the time.
Speaker 1: It would meet us somewhere in transit. So yeah, then the team split. Half of us went by a ground, well, the bulk of us went by a ground to that port, embarked on the tugboats and all the stores on board. You know, we had to learn quite a few stores for both for ourselves for the voyage and for the crew. When we got there.
Speaker 3: We had to have food to supply them because they had been you know, starvation.
Speaker 2: I was going I was going to ask Dave, when you say you go there, you're going there to collect these two ships. I mean the crews are being held hostage as well, aren't they.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, well, if we have time to go back and get into the of the economics of maritime ransom and can are we will. But it is a complex and labyrinth labyriantine, labyrinthine. It's it's messed up.
Speaker 3: The people who write the check are not really writing it for the people, sorry for the cruise.
Speaker 1: They're writing it for the asset, the hardware or its cargo. And yeah, that's that's just the business of private security. I'm afraid it's it's and I don't want to use the word. It's kind of mercenary.
Speaker 2: Is the way it worked that the shipping company hired the kernel security company to make this transaction.
Speaker 1: It was subcontracted. Okay, So in the as soon as the ship gets hijacked, everyone tries to put the blaye or the responsibility on everyone else. You have the trifecta of the shipowner who owns the hole, the ship management company. Uh oh, I got to try frozen, Okay.
Speaker 3: The shipowner owns the holes, the ship management company that runs the day to day and employs the crew legally, and the charter charterer sends the ship to whichever port to pick up whichever cargo based on the relative value of that particular cargo of that particular time on the stock market or the international exchange.
Speaker 1: So they're kind of gambling with is this going to go up or down?
Speaker 3: Let's move this to there, And when the ship gets hijacked, all three of them are like, no, not my problem, it's yours. And the only person you can really guarantee to step forward is the shipowner.
Speaker 1: They want to get their ship back. So the legal.
Speaker 3: Wrangling between all three of them lawyers is what takes up a lot of the time and effort before an agreement can be made.
Speaker 1: I'm still frozen. You still see me?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got you just find.
Speaker 3: Ok and money actually ponied up, and then you've got to figure about the amount.
Speaker 1: But you know, in that whole time, the whoever the lawyers have agreed is actually going to lead this has got to a point a ken R negotiator and they might have an attached can art policy already on, it might not, probably not, and then that negotiator has got to make contact and start the process. And once again going back to the film analogy, the movie with Russell Crow and Meg Ryan.
Speaker 2: Proof of Life.
Speaker 1: That'sally a cool movie. But actually from although I was on the delivery side, I wasn't one of the brains. I was just one of the folk, sorry, one of the private security contractors who was part of the finals security around the delivery. But I gleaned little bits here and there over my course my career in.
Speaker 3: The industry that let me piece together a picture which actually, you know, says that the negotiation process that you saw in that movie is pretty much spot on, and I believe that movie was made with consultants from another company that I'm not going to name, who are the main worldwide renowned experts in the field.
Speaker 1: And you probably already know who I'm talking about. I like to say no names, and I believe they are also the appointee in this case, or the first one I did. And they then subcontracted the firm that the colonel was one of the heads off there were two heads, he was one, and that's where I got brought in. Now, so sort of clear up the mystery of why I was involved. It was because someone dropped out at the last minute. Yeah, still receiving seeing my frozen Someone dropped out at the last minute, and then I happened to call the colonel in the same you know a few moments that they handed in their spurs or whatever.
Speaker 3: And and then actually they they quit because they were concerned about the lack of firepower, which I alluded to before in my discussion with the colonel about it, and I will come back to later on. That's what I found out, but I wasn't told it at the time. So anyway, back to the timeline, we diverted a bit. We were loading the tongue boats in this port, and yeah, it was pretty atmospheric with the smells of rotting mangrove and the you know, the the dockyard smells, the rubbish, the sounds of the port city and and you know, all the all the all the all that's wonderful about being in East Africa. And eventually set Cell in the dark, and you know, the Colonel enjoined us just before we set Cell with a couple of suitcases, one of which we stowed.
Speaker 1: And yeah, we were we selled in the sort of loose convoy. I suppose these two tug boats, pretty dilapidated, with a mixed crew of East Africa, which represented most of the countries in East Africa from the crew side, and then the security team ourselves were about oh, I know, eight strong, I guess divided between the two boats about fifteen to fifteen. And yeah, it was rough. As soon as we got out to see I was seasick. One of the other European guys gave me a sea sickness tablet that pretty much knocked me out and fell asleep while this thing was bucketing around on the waves, and woke up the next morning and the sea sickness had passed, but you know, and it was a beautiful sort of sunrise out out at sea off the coast of East Africa. And came up to the bridge to find the colonel vomiting over the side. So I was a bit sort of I was kind of reassured that, you know, I wasn't the green horns showing myself up for being seasick.
Speaker 3: At least he was as well. But yeah, and then the next sort of these are the events that happened almost twenty years ago. So it's kind of like a string with knots in it at various intervals, and I might get the order wrong, and I might get details wrong, because a memory that.
Speaker 1: Old is more like a photocopy of a photocopy after so long.
Speaker 3: But there's certain things where you sort of mark them with a not because it you remember it because it evidence an emotional response. And the next one I remember is when we unwrapped the weapons and got those out. And I've been told in the briefing the corl said, are you a good shot?
Speaker 1: Dave?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm pretty good shot. Okay, good, you'll be getting a cigarette. I was like, oh, cool, sig rifle, maybe like a SIG five fifty.
Speaker 1: That's awesome, all right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So it was wrapped in a blanket like a woolen military blanket, tied at both ends with a string. I still remember that detail, and tied it flung back the blanket and there was this bolt action single shot target rifle.
Speaker 1: And I hadn't been lied to so much.
Speaker 3: He had come straight out and said, yeah, I'm a bit concerned that we're on the gun.
Speaker 1: But you know I was. I was fangirling so hard over the colonel, over being you know, taken into his trust and you know, treated like family and asked to come on this cool international mysterious conspiracy piracy type I was. I was fangling so hard. I wasn't really listening to what I was being told. And besides, I don't know what I'd have done if I had realized what it meant.
Speaker 3: Yeah, single show bolt action seven six to two target rifle. A. It was called an SZIG STR two hundred and I think the STR stood for Scandinavian target rifle, no magazine, So you have to drop each round in the breach, push.
Speaker 1: It forward and down.
Speaker 3: And the sites were diopter sites and if you don't know what those are. It's a very narrow peep at the back and at the front is a hooded post and in the middle is like a London underground symbol of a circle with two arms either side. And if you're doing biathlon, which funny enough, I did do, then that will be very familiar to you. And they're great for shooting at round black targets twenty five to fifty yards away.
Speaker 1: They are not very good for your peripheral awareness because you're looking down this very narrow like the single shot target part is bad enough, but the darkter sites with the worst speech that you could ask for on a combat rifle. So yeah.
Speaker 3: In the other blanket was a shotgun, a Sporting twelve gage autoloader, and the last weapon that we got out was a sig sorry no, a glock pistol. It was one of those subcompacts that fired three five seven sorry, three fifty seven sig I think is the caliber.
Speaker 1: I've not come across it before since I know it's a thing, but not a user or a hero. And tolet are you still seeing this because I'm just seeing a frozen screen. Yep, okay, cool, So yeah, seeing that my heart absolutely sank like a stone and we're already out to see I can't exactly go whoaa time out, take me back to shore.
Speaker 3: I had to suck it up and yeah, it's like, welcome to the wonderful world of startup pmc's because it was, you know, it's at that stage still a startup PMC.
Speaker 1: It would go on to be one of the more respects more established companies in the industry later on, but at this stage it was a startup and it wasn't about you know, there was a few factors at play here as to why it was a rush job and why they were going with what hardware they had available legally available at short notice in East Africa without drawing too much attention to yourself, and you cannot rely on the law enforcement there. If they got wind of an event like that taking place, you know, they might arrest you on the pretext and then the ransom that was taken in as evidence would suddenly disappear in it and saying what ransom and you you know, it wouldn't matter to you because you'd be in jail for several months while lawyers wrangled over it. And yeah, it had to be done. With what was legally available at short notice without drawing too much attention.
Speaker 2: In this case, you guys got the money while you were out at sea.
Speaker 1: It arrived before we left board Oka.
Speaker 3: And I have my suspicions as to exactly where it came from, but yeah, I'll keep those to myself for now. And yeah, after that initial shock and the sort of realization and adjustment to it, you know, I started started figuring, let's work the problem. Let's try and come up with, you know, a plan and you know, run through through drills and what have you.
Speaker 1: With the team.
Speaker 3: The colonel took a step back and let me just you know, talk to the rest of the team and work with them.
Speaker 1: There was there was guys who had operational experience. There's guys who had had.
Speaker 3: Special Forces training from you know, different units in East Africa. And there was guys with no operational experience who had just been working in anti poaching or stuff like that. And so I sort of said, right, this is how we're going to run the century, this is how we're going to around the watch routine. This will be the SOPs. And they kind of just sort of stoop back to step back and let me run with kind of figuring out these procedures. And at one point we tested by the weapons.
Speaker 1: We had an empty oil cat plastic all count over the side on a rope and we tried to hit it, and I was pleased to see that I was the only fellow who could hit the ore can with the rifle. We all tried with the pistol and the shotgun. Shotgun we couldn't get working properly. It would not also look you could single load it. But we took it apart. We cleaned everything. We tried to oil the action with whatever oil we scrounged off the engine room and the tugboat.
Speaker 3: In the event when a contact happened, it did work. And I think it was because of the type of AMU amma we were using. We had several, several different random types. I knew nothing about shotguns on that stage, from having never been issued one.
Speaker 1: I used one. Anyway, we kind of, like say, after the initial shot, I worked the problem. I started coming up with plans.
Speaker 3: And trying to figure things out and come up with the best solution we could to the problem we had. And that's that's my that's my sort of that's how I deal with anxiety is by planning and attention to detail and figuring stuff out and being as prepared as I can. So that was how I approached that. As the voyage went on, day by day, the weather got better, it got worse. I got used to the seasickness. I got used to the food.
Speaker 1: It was pretty awful food like one of the one of the European guys call porn of Steve. He joked that it was goat cooked with dynamite and rice and what's that. There's a there's a sort of maze meal that is a staple diet in East Africa. I forget the name of it, but you can mash it up with gravy and meat and turn it into a semi palatable meal.
Speaker 3: I want to say cassava or anyway, it's kind of white like corn maize meal, mush. Yeah, the diet was an eye opener.
Speaker 1: This the the the diarrhea was a bit unpleasant. The toilet was disgusting riding, that's what Steve said. Trying to use the toilet when in a storm was like trying to ride one of.
Speaker 3: Those mechanical bills and stay on while you're being thrown around inside this little head.
Speaker 1: On the on the boat. Doing laundry was a challenge. Staying clean was a challenge. Just sleeping was a challenge until you got used to it. And you know, we'd started going on watches. What we once we get into Somali water, you know, keeping up a presence on the bridge all night, being armed. We had a we had night vision device like one of those monocles, but it was like a Gen one thing, so it was like almost worse than useless, but in certain like conditions it gave you a slight advantage, so we still used it. There was a radar working on this, this old dilapidated tugboat. I found the boiler the sort of the boiler player, whatever you call it. The maker's plate that gave its particulars, and it was manufactured in nineteen eighty four in I think Glasgow or Clydesdale or someplace in Scotland, and its design speed was fourteen knots, but it was so old and shot that it can only do a maximum of nine point eight. And the other tugboat was a bit faster, so they were always pushing to get ahead and we were always having to tell them to slow down. We had radio coms with them. The radar worked, but it was a bit iffy. It wasn't that great. You know, you try and track off the other tugboat to make sure you could tune it, to make sure you had the right settings for the conditions. Sometimes. One time, I remember we had a radar contact coming the other way in the night. We all stood two, we all got ready.
Speaker 3: And it passed right between the two tugboats and went back, you know, back the way we came, and it didn't even see us. We saw no lights on board. We got to understand how radar works. A system called AIS which allows a blip to sort of come up on your radar screen with information about the target and on more advanced radars that I find later.
Speaker 1: Give you coarse speed, TCPA, CPA, all that information about where it came from, where it was heading in its cargo. On this radar was just really basic. It might just give you a name of the vessel. And a lot of vessels running in those waters, running with their ai is turned off, they're running dark, no lights.
Speaker 3: So yeah, we had a few, you know, stand tunes when we were concerned about vessels that we saw in the day or.
Speaker 1: In the night. Obviously it's a lot worse at night. I remember some of those long watches at night, you know, out to see there. There's no light, it's completely dark. It's the darkest, blackest night you'll ever see. Males from shore and the blanket of stars overhead was just amazing.
Speaker 3: The milky way in all it's gool and you could see the tug's mass just by where it was obscuring the stars as it swung between them, and seeing the odd shooting star where you sat out there smoking a cigarette on watch, coming inside, checking the radar, going for a walk around the back deck again. On the back deck of the tug, the low deck, we'd strung ropes across it to try and be a trip hazard to anyone that came and boarded and tried to you know, make their way towards the superstructure in the dark. That was our biggest fear of being boarded in the dark by someone. We didn't see herup or hear them coming. But yeah, and as each day went on, you know, the tensions arose a little bit like a ratchet as we were getting closer and closer to the target area, and occasionally we'd encounter a curlish and worship and I'd been designated by the colonel as the sort of communicator.
Speaker 1: I don't know, maybe I had a clear, precise RP voice or whatever you want to call it. But sometimes when a curlition warship would.
Speaker 3: Hail us, they would they didn't know what we were doing there, and they'd be like, hey, you know, you should get out of this area.
Speaker 1: It's really dangerous. You should make your way to you know, safe waters as soon as possible. There's a threat in the area. And I be like, okay, yeah, sorry, thanks for the heads up. We are we're lot of fuel, we've got injured problems. That's why we're heading for the place of safeboart. Thanks for the advice, will definitely heed that. But we are making best speed for wherever I said. Lied. And then sometimes another coalition warship we'd go great past us and.
Speaker 3: Not say a thing, and it's like they were going, like so that was that was kind of funny. And then yeah, and are you.
Speaker 1: Still with me? Yeah?
Speaker 2: So how many days did it take you to get to the destination.
Speaker 3: Well, the whole thing there and back was twenty one, So provide that by two yeah, I guess it was nine to ten days, and then for the fucking round that we had to do once we were there, I'd say at least forty eight maybe, yeah, forty eight, forty eight hours.
Speaker 2: So what happened once you arrived.
Speaker 3: Well, when we got to the first one, the first ship was a like a pretty small one. It was like a ten or twenty thousand tons product tanker. I believe it had a Western captain but an Asian crew.
Speaker 1: And the other tugboats stayed back over the horizon and we went in made contact over the radio. I can't remember if there was the first or the second one that I remember, the voice of the negotiated coming over and making the hairs on the back of my neck rise up because you could tell he'd been Western educated.
Speaker 3: He might be a Somali, but he had spent at least some time being educated or working in the West because of how good his English was, and just made you think, you know, this guy has been seen our society, been a part.
Speaker 1: Of it, and chosen the path he's chosen. I shouldn't be surprising at all, but you know, there's a certain fear of the unknown and the cultures and the things you don't understand about Africa, and you know, I'd never lived there at this point, so just hearing that kind of gave me gave me the shutters, I suppose you could say, and like say, I can't remember if this is the first one or the second one. I'm probably confusing them. But we got close enough, we got in visual.
Speaker 3: Range, and then you know, I like the day before, the colonel had told myself and Steve to go and count the money.
Speaker 1: And if you've never been in the room with two million dollars, it's it's like being in the room with a beautiful living thing.
Speaker 3: You know that movie Pulp Fiction where he opens the suitcase and there's that yellow glow coming out of it. And so I've been told to count this and box it up because he didn't even want to give him a suitcase, you wanted to give him a cardboard box. So Steve and I took a brick each and counted the brick and it came to fifty dout and then we couldn't be bothered to count each individual notes, so we just counted the bricks after that, and it came to the figure we had been given.
Speaker 1: So it was you know, it was complete. It was legit, and no one had screwed us over along the way. I wasn't an expert in money at the time. I sort of am now, but yeah, it looked legit. So I packed it in this box, taped the hell out of it with gaffer tape, sorry, duct tape, and put a rope on it and lashed it so that it wasn't gonna come free. And I had that ready and waiting underguard. And yeah, once we got close enough, the a skiff came out from the hijacked ship that what I'm going to called art ship, and the Colonel got in it and went back and man, I remember looking down and thinking he looked incredibly small as he went, Oh damn, I'm a bad narrator. I skipped past some of the coolest stuff. Are you still with me? Okay? So I can't believe I skipped past that bit. Like when we were coming in after we'd made contact on radio.
Speaker 3: And we were moving into the final RV, the colonel asked me to strap his ankle holster on with a sink pistol in it with subcompact I mentioned earlier, I know, bad back or whatever, so he was sat there on a couch on the bridge, and I was, you know, kneeling down in front of him to strap the ankle holster on and seat it in there, and you know, make sure it's tight enough for your cares.
Speaker 1: That good boss is a right, okay, good fine. And I started whistling a tune and it was it was Bob Marley, I want to know you and treat you right. I want to love you every day and every night.
Speaker 3: I was just whistling the tune and the colonel heard it and he started singing the lyrics and and like we've been other people have been doing stuff another corner of the bridge, you know, making ready this or checking that, and then everyone just stopped and and we're just sort of vibing to this tune together, and we started singing along together.
Speaker 1: We'll be together, don't help me out. How does it go here? We'll share the same room of my single bed.
Speaker 3: And yeah, we sang it through to the end and just like shared that weird little moment of sort of camaraderie or togetherness bonding over this this cool board Marley tune, and it just broke the tension.
Speaker 1: And I don't know what that says about us or guys who were going into a tense situation. But he just kind of like had that little moment of shared togetherness and it was it was kind of cool. And yeah, I didn't want to tell the story without relating that one that one moment that that was kind of good. But yeah, he was going across with a pistol in an ankle holster.
Speaker 3: And I remember, you know, talking to him about what he was doing, and and he happened to mention casually, you know, if things go wrong, you know, I'll have an AKA pretty soon, so you know, and he just mentioned it so casually. I couldn't believe that he was doing this, going into this situation with these heavily armed guys, and he was going to be the only one going across. And now you sort of understand why when I look down and saw him on the boat going across, he looked awfully small to me, at least that's the feeling.
Speaker 1: I remember. Yeah, he got across, he had a walkie talk, he talked back to me, He verified the hostages were there, the crew was safe, they were unharmed, you know, and then he asked for Steve to come across, which I thought was a bit strained, but Steve came across. I guess you know, it was one of his lieutenants. He wanted Steve to sort of get some experience in and around them because he might have to be doing it the next time. And then he asked for the doctor come across.
Speaker 3: We had a we had a medic from a from a from an East African country who'd been in the military, and he went across next. So this this little skiff was going back and forth taking people across. He wanted the medic to check out the crew, to make sure they're okay, you know, to make sure they were right. And so I started feeling uneasy at this point because there was only myself and one other guy who'd been in the East African Special Forces. There was only two shooters left on the tugboat.
Speaker 1: We only had two guns, so it's actually approached for the best, but yeah, I was I was starting to feel that we were putting ourselves in a tactically vulnerable position, having so many of our guys over there, you know, under.
Speaker 3: Their control and potentially in harm's way, rather than back on the togboat. And I had other tasks that I was busy with. I was communicating with the ship owners and the you know people who were holding their hands through the final neotiation. And then the signal came across right passed the ransom over, and the tugboat came in. I told the captain, you bring us alongside, and I went up with the box and came underneath the vessel, underneath its railings, and I was in the sort of that's.
Speaker 1: The area around the tug bridge. It's a bit higher than the deck. And I looked up and saw these two pirates looking down at me. Obviously all of our weapons were out of sight. We weren't arrowing any kind of military clothing, fatigues or whatever, just a T shirt, a pair of slacks, and I had the rope the box, threw the rope up.
Speaker 3: They caught the rope and then they started putting on it, and I lifted it up, and that was the ransom on its way, and then we pulled back and then just hung out while they counted it all.
Speaker 1: And it took them several hours to count it all. And part of the things that we'd set across with each skiff, with the guy that went over was cigarettes and liquor.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure about the wisdom of sending liquor across. But while the pirates were all gathered in the conference room on the ship, they were counting the money. They were sharing the liquor there, smoking the cigarettes and divvying it up between all of them. And I'll go into the economics of the trade and who got what and held them the ransom was split up. But they waited until dusk before they got off that ship. And at the time, waiting and waiting and waiting, and I had other jobs to do, the communication bit and what have you. And it was really fraying on the nerves, not knowing what they were waiting for, and then realizing that after dusk. They were waiting for dusk so that that would cover their them going back to shore, because other gangs would be watching this from the shore and they would love to, you know, meet them at the shore and ask if they'd.
Speaker 1: Like to share their spores. I guess so that that was the reason for waiting for dusk, and that's what they always did. I learned that would the pack wait for dusk, parts get up after dusk, and then the ship could get underway. After they were being cleared, and so we got underway, you know, they went, they left. They had to restart the engines, and I went through this process subsequently a couple of times, and so it's not easy restarting a ship's engines after so many months dormant, and it takes time. And the whole time you're worried, is there going to be another gang coming out from the shore, is there going to be more skiffs. You're staring at a radar screen like your life depends on it. You're looking out into the darkness. You're covering it with a nod. Eventually they got ship chends and engines started. They got out to see the other tug. Bert came and joined us to es scored us right out as we're heading out, and at this point my memory gets a little bit hazy, the sequence of events and my mixing it up with the first and the second one.
Speaker 3: At a certain point, you know, we said, all right, we've got them so far out, that's what was in the contract way, goodbye.
Speaker 1: And they're on their way. Everyone came back across to the tug and then we said about the next task the next day, and I think the other tug had split off and gone over to meet the new gang while we were still escorting them further out. Because the next morning when we came to rejoin them, by the time we did rejoin them, they the Ratsom had already been exchanged. They had already been through that whole rigmarole, that whole tense situation. When we caught up one of the guys, incredibly brave, younger guy like my, same same sort of age as me, but an expat living in East Africa who had grown up there, you know, well actually a and an East Africa and someone who was born in East Africa but was of European origin. Put it that way, not an extpat incredibly bravely went across on on his on his own without the colonel just did the did the did and you know, sent radsm across and when we arrived it was already on board. But when we got there, I'm going to finish this note and a new one mm. When we got there, you could tell there was a different atmosphere. The previous group of pirates we've dealt with, while well being you know, pretty.
Speaker 3: Well being pirates and horrible and mean, and you know, having all the aks and the pkms and the RPGs and whatnot, and looking like you'd expect. They hadn't been overly aggressive, but the atmosphere coming off this new gang was different. I think the first ship, the Irene then had maybe a dozen pirates there. Part of them as a security datail that's beefed up for the exchange, and part of them is the guards that had been there to watch the ship and the crew while it was you know, being while the.
Speaker 1: Ransom was negotiated. The other ship it was called the Stellar Marie, and you can look this up.
Speaker 3: I mean from my recollection. The date of the release was a bit off from what you can find.
Speaker 1: Online, but Stellar Marie was sixty five thousand ton bulk or carrier, big ship, beautiful, pretty new, had an all Filipino crew, and there were forty parts on board. They had brought on reinforcements because they were especially afraid of us because a few months before there'd been a French yacht and special for you know, they'd gone in with nominally the ransom to exchange it and you know, do what we were doing, but French commandos had actually been there and raided it and killed the pirates and blot them out without paying their ransom. So that had raised the stakes, and this particular gang didn't want that to happen to them. There were forty heavily armed parrots on board, and they were really aggressive and they wanted to fight. Like you could just feel in the communications a different, a different vibe coming off them, and see it watching them that they were, you know, there were fingers on triggers.
Speaker 3: They were. They wanted an excuse to kill us. Almost So after we caught up with the second tugueboat and the Colonel went across, I could hear his voice was different and at time, and the Doc went across as well, and Steve went across again, and I was having my misgivings once again about putting us at this tactical disadvantage, and so many of our guys there, and Steve told me at one point one of the negotiators said to the colonel, you know, I have the ransom, I have the ship, and I have you.
Speaker 1: What's your leverage ship? You know, he was basically threatening.
Speaker 3: And when things got tense, the Doc told me and at one point a part was detailed to mark the colonel and stand behind him and he was basically about to plug him. And what you're about to hear what happened that he raised the stakes even further, and the whole time I was doing the other parts of my job, and the communication bit back to I think it was somewhere in Japan where the handholder had gone to go at the company offices as the ship owner to be there for the final stage of the negotiation, and I think that's when the ship owners realized why this part of the operation was so expensive. When they were getting the updates, I was sending them and hearing how things were unfolding and how tense it was. And at one stage, right in the middle of this, another gang of pirates came out from the shore in their skiffs and they came out and I was on this tugboat with the guy that the ex the East African Special Forces guy were the only two left apart from the tugboat crew, and I knew if the gang that was coming out on the skiffs, if they came alongside, or if they tried to board us, and we fired in self defense, not at the pirates on the ship, but at the parts from the other gang that were coming out to try and you know, into the ransom or you know, try and snatch it. If they thought it was still in play, they would instantly execute our guys on the ship. So I told the captain and the chief engineer, get the engine going, get this thing moving as fast as you can, use the ship to shield us.
Speaker 1: From the pirates coming out from the shore.
Speaker 3: So it's kind of like Tom and Jerry where they're trying to chase each other around the table and get the ships and get the tug moving as fast as possible to get it around the other side of the ship so that we wouldn't be in the in harm's way when these guys reached us.
Speaker 1: And that's when things were definitely their tensest.
Speaker 3: And once those skiffs came out from shore, they actually started a gun battle between the pirates on the ship and the other gang that had come out to try and see what was going on.
Speaker 1: They were shooting at each other with pkm's. I don't know if they were hitting anything. And I've got a theory, and i don't know if I've never heard this from anyone else, but it's like, I'm not sure if I believe it, but the theory goes this, for Somali's gunfire isn't necessarily an attempt on your life. It's a form of diegue.
Speaker 2: East African proverb.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you could take it as that, or you could take it. You know, us in the Western world, you know, when someone shoots at you like okay, it's on. You mean to kill me, and I am you know, emboldened to use the same measures against you. But for them, maybe it's not quite the same as that. Maybe it's just an escalation in the dialogue or a way of saying, hey.
Speaker 1: I see you off. I don't know, that's just a that's just a thought that occurred to me, and I've never sort of really expressed it out now and maybe some anthropologist, cultural specialist so whatever can can comment and the comments about the validity of that that theory.
Speaker 3: Anyway, they were they were having a gird each other with belt feds, and I was very glad to be around the other side of the bulk of the ship.
Speaker 1: So that that shielded us from that little gun battle going on.
Speaker 3: And then after they pissed off back to shore, there was a gunshot came out from the ship and when I eventually got in the radio and raised one of my buddies there it was the dock, and he was like, yeah, one of the pirates just shot another one.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, whether it was deliberate or not.
Speaker 4: And see, just just telling the story almost twenty years later, I was starting to feel that that that tension and you know, oh god, I need a twigg at this speer out. Yeah, it's been a long time since I relived this, and telling it it's like going through it again almost. But yeah, one of the pirates shot another one while they were getting ready to disembark.
Speaker 1: Eventually they did. They pissed off back to shore, and then we had to we had to pump fuel onto the Stellar Marie because they'd run out of fuel.
Speaker 3: I think they called it bunker fuel, and and we had to pump other things. I think we had to pump fresh water on they'd run over that. We had to use the cranes to loads stores on. We tried to do it well.
Speaker 1: After they got the engines moving, we tried to pump fuel while we were like attached to them and being towed by them, and it was too dangerous because the tug was kind of like meandering. Yeah, that was there was a lot of crazy, stupid seafaring stuff that we did but you probably shouldn't. And I can't remember if that was the day after the night, but yeah, as soon as we.
Speaker 3: Got it going, we headed out to see you know, ship tugboat either side, trying to provide some sort of you know, protection to it in case someone.
Speaker 1: Else came out. And then the next morning colonel was like, yeah, Harry, I want you to come on the ship. Oh Harry, my, the colonel said to each of us in this in the briefing, you've all got to have a non You've already got to have a pseudonym or a non de guere. And I chose the name Harry Maskers because that had been the I.
Speaker 3: Know, have you ever heard of Harry Maskers, Harry Black. It is the British military term for black duct tape. Oh, black masking tape. You know, the the universal panacea without which military units would grind to a halt in twenty four hours. It's used to fix and make just about everything in the British military. Harry Maskers is the yeah, the nickname for black duct tape.
Speaker 1: I think you call it like one thousand mile an hour tape.
Speaker 2: What's yeah, one hundred mile an hour tape.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, one hundred mile an hour. So yeah, everyone knew me as Harry and so on the radio, especially when we're talking to each other, we were using pseudonyms, and I was Harry and he was like, Harry, I want you to come on board. I want you to see what the ship's like and meet the crew. And you know, it's like, oh yeah, I was still fan going hard at this point. You have to understand, in spite of everything and because of everything that had happened, So yeah, jumping across from the tugboat to the ship, that was really dicey. I had to talk to the captain of the tugboat and saying, you know, how do you do this? What's the procedure? And he was like, okay, we'll come alongside. And then at a certain point, because we're still moving, we're heading out to seat, we're trying to get away from the you know, the coast as fast as possible, and the ship can only make a fraction of its design speed because of all the marine growth that's been encrusting it for months has caused an imbalance on the propeller. So it's shaking too hard if it tries to make maximum speed.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it's reduced speed, but we're still heading out as fast as we can in this formation. And the tugboat captain explained, as soon as we get close enough, the draft of the ship will suck us in and when it does, will hit and you have to time your jump just right because if you jump after the hit, then the momentum will be lost and you'll.
Speaker 1: Just like hit the and be smeared along the side.
Speaker 3: And if you jump too soon, and then the opposite will happen and you'll be screwed. And if you go in the water, I will steer the tougueboat nose in so the stern will go out so you won't be.
Speaker 1: Chopped up by my propellers. Then all you have to worry about is to get away from the propellers of the ship as they come alongside and not get sucked under by the draft. So swim, you know, that way, as fast as you can and hope for the best. So I was making this jump with the rifle on my back and a backpack with some ammunition and some other stuff and the camera. Oh yeah, I've been asked to bring a camera across to photograph the crew and the state of the ship and whatnot. And yeah, the sort of standing on top of that railing and waiting for that collision and timing my jump just right. There was a couple of crewmen, the Filipino crewman and would come down and was standing in the railing just opposite me. And as I jumped, and sort of.
Speaker 3: I wish I'd had it in slow motion or something, but yeah, as I jumped, they grabbed me and I banged my shins on the on the railing and kind of made it over and they dragged me over the top of it. But I was terrifying as hell. I mean, with everything that happened before, I still remember that. It was one of the most tense moments that that that jump. Yeah, but then I got to meet the crewmen, and that was another thing in itself. These guys have been held for months.
Speaker 1: I mean I remember exactly the last ship I did, they were five months.
Speaker 3: This ship, I can't remember how many months they had been held, they told me. I'm sure in my head I want to say it was three months, but it you know, memory plays you false after so many years. But meeting them, telling my name, They're like, oh, Harry, Harry, Harry, like like the Prince Harry.
Speaker 1: Right. I was like, yeah, like Prince Harry. Sure, And they were so friendly and so enthusiastic and so delighted to meet us, and all of us on the security team. We went to the conference room and we had like a debrief while we were still heading out to see about what worked, what didn't work, and what happened, so we all understood the how things that unfolded and the lessons that we could learn from this. And while that was happening, these Filipino crewmen they cooked us dinner. They cooked us no, it was lunch at midday, and they had hidden in the freezer while they were captives to try and you know, feel that they had a secret and they weren't giving up everything. They had hidden some steaks inside this freezer and they the first meal they cooked. It wasn't for themselves, it was for us. And this steak it wasn't anything special, you know, it'd been frozen for months.
Speaker 3: But it was steak and it was better than anything I'd eaten in weeks, and felt so meaningful that the first meal that they cooked after they cleaned up themselves and the galley and got everything running again.
Speaker 1: Was for us that was like such a powerful gesture and made me feel completely what's the word I'm searching for, inadequate, you know. I just they thought we we were something special and I'd just shown up for money, and yeah, I was intrigued like this, Yeah, it meant something to them. And and to have someone say thank you and really mean it, that is something I've seldom experienced a couple of times like this, but it leaves its mark on you. And it was it was it was something special and something really powerful and I felt it at the time and I still feel it now recounting it. That steak dinner with a couple of leaves of salad. I don't know where the salad came from or how they got it, but yeah, the steak Carrod do Rember, and the warmth that they showed us, and the thanks and I remember at one point the colonel got more together on the one of the the decks at the side of the bridge and for a group photo and was like, give us a we are alive. And they just weren't feeling it. They were they had they were happy in their own way. They weren't going to be inspired by someone giving them a speech. I remember taking that picture. I don't have it. I had to, you know. That was Colonel's Cameron gave that up. But yeah, it was. That was a picture and that was It was something special to see them, even though they didn't quite respond to the attempts to sort of enliven them. They were going through. They were going through something in their own headspace that only they'd been through, and you could see that they were unwinding and processing it in their own way and anyway long and the short of it was the Colonel said, I, I don't think the captain is able to command his ship and I need one of us to go with him to the port that they're going to head forward and talk at after we peel off and head back, and Dave, would you do it? And I was like, no, I want to stay with the team. I want to see this through to the end.
Speaker 3: You know, we've we've been working together and for me to be split off now is it kind of feels like, I mean, this is an unexpected honor and what have you. But oh, I want to stick with the team that has been through all this together and see the job through.
Speaker 1: As originally you know, as originally sold to me.
Speaker 3: And he said, all right, fine, I'll go. And he said, actually, it's a good thing you don't go, because because I've got two passports and you don't, which is a very good thing because then it might have involved as it worked out. Well, it's a good thing that I didn't go and put it that way you used to with me. I still can't see anything, okay, So.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what was what was sort of the next job, the next counter piracy job after that one.
Speaker 1: It's not over. This job isn't over yet. So yeah, we split off. You know, the release ship went went on its way, I think it headed north.
Speaker 3: Two tug boats and the rest of the team we split off and headed back down south. And you know, aside from the seasickness and the crap food and the you know, rewatching the same stuff on the DVD over and over again and rereading the same crap books that I'd read the week before over and over again, it was pretty uneventful.
Speaker 1: Until that is, we were almost across the border or almost out of Somali waters, and then we got bumped by another gang.
Speaker 3: And I remember being up on the bridge because I was still there, you know, boy scout, still being on watch when everyone else was start into relax.
Speaker 1: I'm talking to the captain and he was like, nah, we're almost safe now. I don't think there'll be any any more danger.
Speaker 3: I was like, okay, And they went back to the wheel and then turned around a moment later and his eyes were as wide as saucers.
Speaker 1: I'll never forget it.
Speaker 3: And he just says one word, and yeah, grab the binoculars, look at the radar low and behold. On the horizon, there is a mother ship and it's just in the process of detaching a couple of skiffs and they start coming in towards us, and so we stand to get on the radio.
Speaker 1: Alert the other vessel.
Speaker 3: It's behind us, you know, a couple of hundred yards behind. Everyone goes to their positions, Everyone gets ready. Steve's in command. He says, you go there, Sure, you go there, and the drill had bin. We let them come in and we show them we have weapons. We don't want to start a fight because we might have to do business with these guys a couple months down the line, and Somalis are definitely remember a vendetta and never pass up an opportunity to return the favor if they lose one of their own.
Speaker 1: So yeah, we were very cognizant of that, and to use force only after you know, polite dissuasion had failed.
Speaker 3: But I was thinking, man, if they get on board, or if they get our advantage is keeping them at arm's length. Our advantage is my rifle and my accuracy, which I can keep at arm's length.
Speaker 1: Their advantage is volume of fire.
Speaker 3: Once they're getting close, my advantage is nullified and their advantage is maximized.
Speaker 1: I told you, I go through things in my head. That's my way of you know, working through anxiety or whatever.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I was most concerned about them getting inside my envelope, getting inside my ability to keep them away. And and they came in and we never got time to go through there.
Speaker 1: You know that the escalation.
Speaker 3: Levels of warnings and whatnot, because the other tongue opened fire, I guess a little bit less discipline than us. And after they opened fire, the Pirates open fire, and you know you've you've heard the incoming incoming fire. And when you start hearing the the you know they're getting close and you know, that was that was something. And Steve says to me, right, give me one warning shot. Day, give me a warning shot.
Speaker 1: Like thirty degrees off axis, so they know we're not going to take this line down.
Speaker 3: So I gave him one warning shot, and you know, the chain of command had been established. I had to respect it. I did, and then.
Speaker 1: I was the dynamic in my head was I've got this, can our policy quarter of a million to get me back? No? No, no, this before we open fire. That was what went through my head before they open fire. That was what went through my head.
Speaker 3: And I was thinking, you know what if if they take us prisoner, if we get taken hostage, you know, barring accidents.
Speaker 1: I will get to go home.
Speaker 3: I will live because I've got this kid kidnap aroundom policy. So but if we fight and are captured, we'll probably be dark. We'll probably be executed, or if we're not killed, in the in the in the capture itself.
Speaker 1: So I was thinking, what are we going to do? You know, if I don't fight, if I put my hands up, I will almost certainly live, but I'll have a very unpleasant three months and a story to tell my grandchildren about but if I do fight, there's a decent chance I will die, a more than decent chance considering the you know, the disparity in fire about.
Speaker 3: So that was the dynamic going for my head. And that's when the other boat opened fire.
Speaker 1: And it's like, okay, the the the mechanics and the whys and the watts and the ifs and where wars are taken out of it.
Speaker 3: Now the firefights started. And that's when Steve said, right, give me a warning shot. Thirty degrees did it. And then I was like, oh, fuck this, Fuck these warning shots. I'm going to shoot to kill. So chambered one, put it home, took aim, took the shot, and within within a few moments, I don't remember how many, because time sort of dilates and stretches out and compresses in a firefight and those high stressed situations.
Speaker 1: But it was almost like I remember us. Pretty soon after that shot, they turned around and they stopped shooting, or they were just firing hot shots over the stern as they were retreating. But I don't think I hit any one that day. In fact, I'm almost I didn't. I just I just didn't feel the vibe.
Speaker 3: And as you know, if I get onto that part of the story, I know what that vie feels like.
Speaker 1: So I don't think that's what happened.
Speaker 3: But maybe I just got close enough to make them change their mind, and I think that's what probably happened.
Speaker 1: But yeah, they turned around, they went back. I went and looked at the superstructure of the towboat afterwards. I couldn't see any hits.
Speaker 3: But when someone's been firing, you know, fully automatic in your direction, You've been hearing that, you've been in seeing the splashes, you know it was. It was coming close enough to to make you sit up and pay attention. And and when it's over, then you you feel a certain certain satisfaction that having sort of got through that, and there's certain ah, you know certain.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 3: I think Winston Churchill said it first when he said to be to be shot at without incident is one of the most exhilarating experiences.
Speaker 1: And I can certainly second that. And straight afterwards we took a picture myself and sure, and I'm going to try and share that if I can. Oh, my screen's back, all right, start share? Only the host can share in this meeting up? Sorry, can we fix that? Yeah? Or I can send it to you after this and you can just splice it in show.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, yeah, email it to us afterwards.
Speaker 1: I sent that picture at one point, I think to try and hook your interest. But yeah, I'm in flip flops posing alongside Share with my bolt action rifle and his sporting shotgun. And that was taken right after the pirate attack, and right off we saw it off and yeah, I don't think anyone will hurt to either side, so the best possible outcome really just gonna.
Speaker 2: So yeah, let's let's move it along to the next piracy job you had.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, there's a sort of a PostScript. When we got back into Port, you know, a few days later, because we were quite close at that stage, Steve had been scheduled to go to a wedding, and he said, do you want to come along? You know, I can't get you in the wedding, but you know, the part, the pre party and what have you. We booked a hotel. My my family's coming down. We're going to stay in it, and so I said, sure, you know, crack, not exactly wedding crashed, but crashed one of the parties, and we within hours of getting off the boat and leaving the port. I was at a beach party, this beach nightclub, you know, with this music pumping out. I mean I tried to socialized, and I tried to have a beer or two, but I was just exhausted, emotionally exhausted after this whole thing. And I just remember sitting down in the sand with Steve, with a couple with a couple of beers between us, a little bit away from from the action, just saying, like, dude, did that just fucking happen? I still and I still can't believe it, Like almost twenty years later, did that really happen? The whole thing was like like a movie and start to finish, And sometimes I sometimes I ask myself, am I did I hallucinate it? Am? I? Like, like Walter, Missy, like, you know, just imagining things that happened to me. But I've got the pictures. I hope the audience is going to see the pictures to to you know, get some some something concrete to say, yeah, it actually happened. But it's it's still wild looking back at it, and that that beach party, that that time sitting down in the sand and just talking about it. And reliving it and talking about it with Steve was that was wild. So that was the the interesting PostScript and the sort of the the final epilogue to that that particular adventure. How are we doing for time?
Speaker 2: I feel, Oh, I mean we're we probably can do like another half hour or so.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, I used up?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, half hour of five minutes or something like that.
Speaker 1: So after that I made some good contacts, you know, I there was a there was a brief sort of after party.
Speaker 3: I got given a bonus above and beyond what would what had been, you know, agreed.
Speaker 1: I was sent back with a you know, pil of cash paid off my student loan. I can't remember if I did another job straight after that. Yeah I did. I did the cruise ship and that was well. When they were starting convoys through the through the Red Sea, through the Battle Mendeb you know, escorted by coalition warships, and on that particular cruise ship job with another team, some of whom I had worked with before, on some of them I hadn't. I witnessed another ship just ahead of us being hijacked, and listening to that was pretty wild. Over the radio, they were calling for help. They were screaming there were pirates attacking, their coming in for us. They're shooting, their shooting. And then after a moment's pause, you know, after.
Speaker 3: They'd been calling out that what had been happening, another voice came on the radio and said, there are no pirates here. And then the ship changed course towards the Somali coast and it was like, oh boy. And through a friend I made later on another transit, he knew that the guy who had been on that ship and he actually jumped overboard.
Speaker 1: It had been another It had been a marine who was actually you know, sold a couple of books off of the experience of failing to stop a pirate attack and jumping over board. Like I said, I wouldn't say anything mean, but yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Failed to secure any publishing rights or any agent for my story when I tried to write it, and I thought that was a little bit of a disparity in the breadth sort of depth of your experience versus the ability to.
Speaker 1: Sell it anyway. So I went on to do several transits. I think I got nineteen transits of the high Risk garry on various cargo ships, bulk or carriers, car carriers, container ships going up and down left right, across the across the Indian Ocean to Sri Lanka, or up into Amman, or up into Fujero, or into the Gulf of or Proud the Straits of muz to the UAE side bit top them now and once doct in Aiden. But I never got off the boat. I wish I had was before the sort of whole moofy thing happened.
Speaker 3: And yeah, I interspersed a season of diving with an expedition, and then some more anti piracy worked top up the bank accounts. I was just living a life up until up until I turned thirty. Well, anyway, there was one other voyage which deserves a bit of a bit of exposure because it was the second time I was attacked and I was a team leader.
Speaker 1: This time I went switched horses, went to work for another company, a company which would later on go on to implode. I can't go bankrupt, but at the time I didn't know that, and I went across as a team leader straight away without even an interview, purely on the basis of my association with the colonel's company because of the reputation they had gained. And yeah, my first job was the Vogue Dignity, and I met a guy who was my two ic for.
Speaker 3: Many jobs together, really good friend and a guy whose instincts I came to.
Speaker 1: Trust initially when we went When I went on board this ship, you know, the three of us who went on who had met the airport and you know, shared a few stories and talked about our experiences and this deployment, that deployment, what have you. And when we got there, there was this guy who was like, oh my ms Nie on former says, I'm the team leader here. And I was like, well, boss, he said, I'm the team leader, so you know, we better get them on the phone to try and figure this out. And I was like, what's your experience and you've done antipirasy stuff before. He was like, well no, yeah, well I was SAS, so you know, you were just just a marine. So you know you're gonna have to learn off me for a bit. I'll take them on my way school you a bit. And I was like, I know you've done this and that, and that's cool, but if you've never been on board ship, you don't have to work the radar systems.
Speaker 3: You don't know the lingo or how to communicate with the officers or the helmsman, or or or work or fight the ship, or talk the captain's language.
Speaker 1: You're not going to be that much used as a team leader. And so we were. We had a little bit of a you know, a clash of personalities there until I eventually got the one of the bosses on the phone on the SAT phone and was like, come on, who's going to be the boss here? And they said, okay, you are. Eddie's going to be the two ic And Eddie didn't like this, so he packed his bags and left the next day.
Speaker 3: They have found out that he might not have been everything that he claimed to be, and that happens a lot in the private security industry, and I'm afraid to say I've experienced it a lot since leaving. And yeah, that's it's it's a thing that you have to keep your eyes out for.
Speaker 1: And I never expected that to be a thing, but it is. Anyway, that left me and and either too, I see, and one other guy that showed up, and that was our team. We went from this port to that port. We got to know the crew, the great crew, Indian officers, Filipino sailors, one of the best combinations you can hope for.
Speaker 3: Really friendly guys. They all bring something to the table. All the cultures work well together. It was a great experience. We got to know each other. We drilled, we trained, we ran through simulations, and at one point there was a sort of whole side person at times. At the premium, we had to get some extra ammunitions, so we bought it under what might have been questionable legality circumstances.
Speaker 1: That was kind of like the you haven't seen that movie Ronn where they go and do the deal under the bridge for the money for the Oh god, it was.
Speaker 3: It was tense and then there and it turned out that one of the guys that met me at the meet was one of the guys I worked with before.
Speaker 1: But it wasn't until halfway through the exchange that was like don't I know you? I know you from somewhere. That was like I know who you are, you are so and so. From there it was like, oh, yeah, brother, I remember you. We did this. But for a moment it was like so tense. Well I was thinking, oh my god, these are under a policeman. I'm gonna get the other I know.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it came out okay, and it turned out to be the same ammunition we had offloaded from those two tongue boats on the first job. Because I remember wrapping it with share the other the other Eastaff and Special Forces guy, and we'd wrapped it with extra tape.
Speaker 1: We joked about how whoever I wrapped it after us was going to have a hard time getting it open. It was the same boxes. It was the same guy who was cropped up elsewhere in the industry, and that ammunition getting getting used a second time anyway. So we carried on with the voyage with some more ammunition, some seven six to us, some twelve gauge, and then we got bumped. Ut. I used to have the coordinates in my head, and I used to have the date in my head. I want to say, eleven degrees north, fifty eight grades east or one variation of that, you know, And it was Andy, who's well first we picked it up on the radar, and on a good radar, good ship's radar, you have the X band in the S band and they are either side of the bridge, and they they're good for slightly different conditions and different things. I've forgotten now, but if that's a good setup. You can get I think called the CPA, which is the closest point of approach from any particular contact.
Speaker 3: It gives it a vector and it calculates stuff in there. Then you get a TCPA time to closest point of approach.
Speaker 1: So we saw this contact, you know, the latest of many contacts that we had tracked, and then Andy saw them on the binoculars. He had great eyes, he had been wrecky, he had been a color sergeant in the cavalry. I trusted him implicitly, and you know how sometimes professionally you can have two guys who just fit together and work together great. He was like, he was like my spock. He was. He was a great guy, and he his eyes were better than anyone else's on the bridge, and he was like, yeah, that's a dow. It's lowering a skiff. I couldn't see this detail. He could. It's peeling off and it's coming for us.
Speaker 3: And I was like, okay, this is this is the strongest indication on any boys since the last attack that I've had that we're going to get attacked.
Speaker 1: And I must admit I was I was kind of like, I think what this will do for my career. It's an uncharitable thing to feel going into what you know is going to be a firefight. But I knew this was going to boost my career with the next company as well, and I knew that I could probably handle this.
Speaker 3: And one looking at the radar and the TCPA, it was like twenty five minutes at the current speed, it was going to be on us. So I said to the captain, all right, changed course to this. I'm going to my cabin. And my cabin was just behind the bridge. I had the pilot's cabin.
Speaker 1: And you might think that's a little tactically naive or maybe reckless, but I thought, I'm about to get in a firefight and I really need a poop, so I don't want to ship myself in the firefight.
Speaker 5: So so yeah, I don't know what it is, but my bladder and my bows sometimes are like the best indicator that the firefight's about to happen, because whenever it's kind of like going to kick off, or maybe there's no indicators yet there's going to kick.
Speaker 1: Off, I need to go. So that that happened. I went to my cabin quickly. Well, if you've been in the middle tree bit of the Marines.
Speaker 3: You know how to use the bathroom real quick, so I did quick white wipe done. Then I was like, do you know what, if I'm going to be a firefight, I'm going to die.
Speaker 1: I'm going to die with a clean asshole. So I'm gonna have a shower. So on the shower, off, clothes in water, rintse rits off, dry off, back clothes on, put on the Lucky trousers and the Lucky t shirt and back out. And Okay, I probably did that in like two minutes, three minutes tops, because if you've been in the military and you know how to get ready and wash yourself and ADDM in yourself fast, you can do it a lot quicker than you realize. Came back out onto the bridge. Oh.
Speaker 3: The last thing I did before I left my cabin was put on sunglasses because I didn't want anyone to see the fear in my eyes.
Speaker 1: And I was scared that if my eyes were like big and scared and like sources like that, like the Todd captains had been, then people wouldn't be listening to me. So so you know, I wanted to be like cool, calm and collected this is my first time as a team leader, as you know, leading the bridge team fighting the ship, and I was I was very aware, you know, I didn't want to poot myself, didn't want to show my fear. I wanted to be calm collected. So I gave myself quick grin in the mirror, came back out onto the bridge, and when I stepped foot on that bridge, I could feel the panic rising. People were calling a crowd see each other. The captain was, you know, saying what are we going to do? What's the next course of action? Members of my team were like, we need to do this, or we need to do that. You know, you could hear the panic rising and different people shouting across each other, and the sort of conflagration and no clear plan, no one taking the lead. I was like, okay, maybe maybe the ship show routine wasn't such a great idea.
Speaker 3: But I thought, I've got to get I've got a moment to get control of this situation.
Speaker 1: I've got a moment and to start.
Speaker 3: You know, re establishing calm and re establishing my authority and you know, starting to lead this team and fight the ship. So what I did is I went over to the telephone that you can dial up any particular department of the ship, and I dialed down to the galley to the mess man and everyone saw me doing.
Speaker 1: This and picking up the telephone, and I was like, hello, mess man, how you doing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, stay up on the bridge. Yeah, I'm kind of thirsty. Would you mind sending me.
Speaker 1: Up a coke? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I feel like a coke, Captain, would you like a coke as well? And by this stage everyone to stop what they're doing and saying, and they're paying attention to me and wondering what the fuck I was doing. And I was like, okay, yeah, the captain wants a coke as well. Helmsman. First off, so you want coke, Steve.
Speaker 1: You want to coke as well? A right? Bring what?
Speaker 3: Just bring up a whole Slaber cokes for us, chilled if possible. And he was like, yeah, we don't have coke, We only have fanta. I was like, okay, no fans is good, bring up Slaber fanta. Okay, all right, thanks a lot as soon as you can. Jeers By put the phone down. Bridge had gone completely quiet and everyone's just looking at me, and I felt that crackle, that thrill of.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I'm in the moment and I'm the man, and what I say and do is gonna next is going to determine the how this unfolds. And I felt that, like that thrill of I'm Captain fucking Cook, I can fucking do this, all right.
Speaker 3: So I started off by saying, I once again, memory plays you false. And the details of what I said next I don't remember, but the gist.
Speaker 1: Of it was, all right, what's on course and speed? All right, very good, let's cool down to the engine and make sure they've got max revolutions. I remember from that that movie Hunt for the Red October when Red Raimius, you know, played by Sean Connery, says, increase the flank. I don't know what that means. I have no idea, but I think I just said, increased speed to flank because he's trying to avoid the torpedoes and stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, anyway, whatever it was, I said, they increased speed to max.
Speaker 1: I'll I'll send you the pictures. Because we we had planned out the response. We started off. I was like, like, start the fire hydrants, start all the hoses, start the pumps. I want all the fire hoses pumping over the side.
Speaker 3: I want to flood the deck so that anyone gets on there, they'll be slipping around.
Speaker 1: We'd already put raise the while around it. We'd already put dummies at key places on the stern of the ship, dummies wearing you know, helmets and with like dummy rifles, so it looked like there's people there. I was like, yeah, right, you inform ukmt O that we have a possible probable pirate inbound, you know, tcpas this, so we're gonna get hit around this time. You start unwrapping bandages, start prepping the aid station, get everything ready there you I want I want you. This was to the Boston and I said, I want you to go down and pull the circuit breakers from every floor. Make sure all the outside hatches are secured, all the windows secured, all the curtains are drawn. Because if you pull the circuit breakers to every non essential floor, if anyone gets in, it's gonna be dark. They can't turn on the lights, they're gonna be disorientated. We'd already harden the ship. We'd already welded bars on windows and doors and locks that you could pull down so that every door would be secured. Site.
Speaker 3: I was like, all right, activate the mustard alarm, all the non essential crew, muster in the muster point, and then head over to the citadel. The citadel is a partner the ship that you'd hardened and put, you know, placing around so that as a last resort you'd get in there, lock yourselves in, and then call u q mto and basically asked for a helicopter with ninjas to come and you know, rescue.
Speaker 1: That wasn't necessary as it happened. So yeah, all the non essential crew mustard, including the captain's wife and this three and a half year old daughter who were along for the voyage, and then they went over to the citadel. So all the non essentials were out of the way. We just had the bridge team. We just had the security team. And I had gone through firing off those. I wish I could remember the sequence of it, but I was killing it, man. I was just saying, you do this, you do this, Has that been done? Has that been done? And I had that that moment of feeling like, damn, I am killing it, man, I don't know how this is going to turn out, but it sounds good. And then they were coming in. They were inside three hundred yards, and you know, I went out onto one of the bridge rings. I gave my camera to the captain and said, take some pictures. I wish i'd said, take video some of those pictures you've seen, and so I guess we can splice in. I don't have time to try and pull them up like we agreed. But yeah, and then it was comical what happened next. So I detailed one guy, a really good South African soldier. I said, you go prone on that corner, and you know, I'll be on the wing. Last man was a little bit unsure of himself with weapons. He had been a police officer in an eastaff in an African country. I actually took his weapon off him because I was concerned, more concerned that he would be a danger to the team than the pirates. So I had the shotgun on my back while I was having the seventy six to two self loading rifle in my hands.
Speaker 3: And you'll see that in the picture. It was a bit better than the bolt action from the first one. I was like, right, first thing we'll do is five flares. Fire a flare, high up, second flare.
Speaker 1: I am a bit closer and the skiff actually had to veer out the way to avoid the flare. We were going as fasts we could everything. All the hoses were activated, all the all the procedures and the drills were put in place, has been activated and one was as ready as we could. So this was, you know, coming down to the final moments. I was right, right, let's fire you and me Andy. That's fire like three shots in the air so they know we've got multiple self loading weapons to give them an idea of the firepower they're about to face. So we fired three shots each. But when I said get ready to fire three shots, he didn't say here to get ready by. He just fired them and I wasn't ready for it. So I was like, oh, damn, man in my ears, and it was like the you're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off moment, you know. It was. It was kind of a comical moment of levariety in the middle of the tense situation that was that was unfolding, and I was like, right, you and me, Andy, let's fire three rounds in the water off axis so they know we're not aiming at them, so they know that this not meant for them. This is a demonstration.
Speaker 3: So yeah, six rounds went in the water, nice big plumes of spray come up, and that's when they opened fire and I was like, okay, you've you know, you're firing directly on us.
Speaker 1: Now our warnings have gone unheated.
Speaker 3: That's when we can, you know, flip the switch and go over to use of lethal force to defend ourselves as we're legally allowed to do.
Speaker 1: So Yeah, I just remember for the next.
Speaker 3: For the next few moments, just pumping rounds into that skiff as it was coming. And I remember as clear as day, the first one.
Speaker 1: Setting up plume of water, the after the side, and the second one sending splinters off the gunnal of the skiff.
Speaker 3: And then after that there's like a gray blob over the occupants of that that skiff, and I have no recollection or memory of anything that was there or anything that was hit. And I've had that gray blob before once when I was in a fight when I was in college, when someone was strangling me. And when you're close to blacking out, you get these gray fingers coming in from the edges, obscuring your vision until it comes down to a like a tunnel and it was the exact same kind of gray that I remember, like over the top of those guys and the skiff that we were shooting at. So truthfully, I really don't know if I hit anything that day, But the only explanation I can come up with is that my mind was somehow trying to erase or edit those memories to shield from me, shield me from whatever.
Speaker 1: I saw or did. And the one of the one of the I think it was the helmsman who had actually been through a previous Iranian missile crisis and been missile in another ship. He was watching through the monoculars and he said he saw two of those guys go down. So the South African guy never heard the word of command when I when I when I gave the word of command, I said, I shouldn't let him have it. I should have mentioned that, but yeah, and he never heard it, so he never opened fire. It was just me and Andy that loosed off, you know, mag each into them. So it could have been him, could have been me, but I, you know, I wouldn't have my mind wouldn't have edited that unless there was something that it was trying to protect me from. That's a strange little idiosyncrasy.
Speaker 3: I'dn't know if any of the other veterans who've been described contacts they've been in have ever expressed anything similar about that that Grave blog not quite like that.
Speaker 2: But I think what you're describing is it necessarily uncommon that there's like a certain level of stress in your mind kind of blanks some things out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was very It was very weird. How I just could not access those memories afterwards. And yeah, the skiff turned around, so there was evidently someone still alive at the helm. They went back to the mothership, we sailed on. We updated ukmto nearest ship with ours sit rep and yeah, checked everyone, no casualties, no damage, stayed on watch, stayed up, you know, everyone on stations for a good while. And Yeah, eventually sort of calmed down. And I remember afterwards, I went up to the top of the ship to the what's can known as the Monkey Island and held onto the the rigging and stood on top of the railings, and just like it was. It was weird. It was like a release of emotion. I just started laughing into the wind. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Never never really had anything like that since before or since, And I guess I was just like super glad to have gotten through it. When you think about it, it's really not that hard in contact to be in because you're up high, they're down there, they're on a skiff.
Speaker 1: You're on a stable firing platform. But but for me, I was really satisfied with the fact that I had actually, you know, led a team in a contact and I knew I'd done my job and done it well and you know, held everyone together through my I guess you call it leadership. But it wasn't that challenging of a situation, but it was. It was definitely a first for me. And yeah, yeah, it was. It was. It was something.
Speaker 2: It was something to be that, oh yeah, they needed somebody to man up. After that, you went and were you doing some freelance work in West Africa.
Speaker 1: Well, it was all technically freelance. So final, final chapter. I guess we're getting onto that now. I went back to the UK. I tried to, as I put it, go straight for a few years after I turned thirty, I started panicking, like, you know, I've had all this this head and listed sort of existence for the last few years. I've had a great time, some cool experiences, a little last, but I have no savings, I've got no career, I've got no plan, I've got no mortgage. And I started panicking and thinking, you know what, woman is going to be interested in a long term relationship with me unless I get like a real job, a stable job. So I tried to go straight. I tried to get away from the security industry. I tried a few different things. I tried adventure, travel, tourism. I tried starting my own app for six months. Didn't work out. It makes money, but it wasn't enough to get it over the line to make it, you know, super profitable. I tried being a recruitment consultant for six months, and I spectacularly failed to hire a single person in that time. And one of the things they said to me is you lack the killer instinct. I'm afraid you don't have what it takes in this history. Oh, by the way, recruitment consultants, I said, I wouldn't say anything mean about anyone, but watch out for them. They will get you in for interviews and then they will ask you who you've been interviewing with.
Speaker 3: And you know, because you don't want to seem like you're nobody and you haven't been doing nothing. You don't want to seem like you're sitting on your hand.
Speaker 1: So, so I had this interview with this company, and this interview with this company, and they'll be like, oh, so, did you interview with so and so that I know from them? And you'll be like, no, No, the hiring manager was this guy. Five minutes after you're out the door, they'll be on the phone to them, looking them up on LinkedIn, saying I hear you're hiring. I've got a few candidates you might want. Yeah, they will screw you. And I just couldn't. I'm not saying I'm an especially moral or upright or whatever person, but I wasn't cut out for that industry didn't make it did in the last six months. And then you know, I was applying for this.
Speaker 3: I was applying for that, and I put the colonel down as a reference, and I said, can I use you as a reference? And I was like yeah, sure. And I didn't get that job. And I was like, damn, did he screw me on that? Because I really thought I was going to get this thing. I called him up and I said, did you you know did you give me the reference?
Speaker 1: Did you screw me? And he was like, no, I gave you one. I'm sorry you didn't get it. So you're looking for work, aren't you?
Speaker 3: Do you want to move out to Africa and live here full time and be on my you know, management team. You know, you know that that Ron in movie they talk about laboral management. The Jo Reno character says, were you laboral management? I'd been labor up until that point, and then I sort of moved onto the management side of the thing for a for a good while.
Speaker 1: You know. I was with that management team for six months and putting in bids and planning contracts and doing doing all the operational sort of fixing for executive protection tasks from VIPs visiting East Africa, going on Safari oil contracts, security for drilling site, security for crew change is, for seismic survey ships, all kinds of stuff.
Speaker 3: And it was fascinating and it was high stakes and it was well, I wouldn't say especially, it was high stress, That's what I wanted to say.
Speaker 1: And it was during that time living in East Africa that I met my wife, my only wife so far, And yeah, she was working for the United Nations from a girl from Philly, which I was always to find out, is it means that they have, you know, like all the bad language and all the attitude, know how to talk to people that cross them in whees they don't like and yeah, shout out to all the Philly girls and the Philly people, You're something else. And yeah. So after the oil price fell through the floor a few months later, I had to go freelance again. I ended up working for I worked for a guy who started a legitimate mers keeney Meeni services. Have you ever heard of them? He went on to found another company who were semi you know, no, they were legitimate by that stage, but his origins was definitely definitely on the other side of the de fence. I actually had lunch with him at a nice sort of suburban cafe in East Africa before a job that we went on in Somalia to do almost the opposite of what I'd done before, but on the side of the good guys it was.
Speaker 3: It was a weird situation. I ended up getting dysentery in morged issue for about a week, but still paid reasonably well without the job actually happening.
Speaker 1: And then I did surveys in France. I did one really nice job in Marseille that was just you know, paperwork and presentations. Oh and I forgot to tell you one of the one of the last part of jobs I did while I was still working for the Colonel was the.
Speaker 3: Fair Cam Bogie, And yeah, that was my last ransom run. I never found out what the ransom was because after the tense situation that happened with the Cela Marie and they almost went wrong handover, they switched to no more face to face handovers. It was dropped by parachute, So the ransom would be dropped by parachute with like a GPS thing that would basically steer it onto the coordinates and it would be picked up, so no more face to face, and then the security team would come alongside and only get on when the parks got off.
Speaker 1: And they did a lot of these without me, and then I joined for my last.
Speaker 3: Job on the fair Cam Bogie, and the wages gone down by that stage, so you didn't get the same bonuses that you got because as every security industry sort of happens, explodes matures.
Speaker 1: And then tails off.
Speaker 2: They started hiring a lot of third country nationals and you know, when you were making one thousand dollars a day, suddenly you're making two fifty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it was like that. But the company was still paying good money still, you know, at the at the at the good end of the industry. And yeah, I did that last job. The r ansom was dropped. I'll send you some of the photos. You can see.
Speaker 3: The condition of the ship after the pirates got off was diabolical.
Speaker 1: Oh man. Meeting that crew that had been held for five months was it was incredible. The captain like they were hijacked almost inside a safe port after their security team had got off to go ashore via a tender.
Speaker 3: The parks have been waiting. I don't know if they'd specifically clocked them and worked out the security team got off or if it was just luck. But they were almost inside a port in a man I want to say Solana, but I might be mixing that up. Now, hijacked and then sail back to Somalia. The crew had gone into lockdown that but one of the ensigns had been in the in the battle of the ship, and so they they had him and they forced the rest of the crew to open up the citadel because they had that one ensign to use his leverage. All the defenses they'd put up, the pirates had managed to overwhelm and get past.
Speaker 1: They'd endured torture.
Speaker 3: And privation, starvation, beating up, bullying. The pirates had tried to convince some of them to go onto other ships, to use them as mother ships, to go out on pirate missions, to try and take other to hijack other ships. It would and anyway, this was all to come when I when I met the crew. But yeah, the ransom hand over went okay, you know, we went until the dusk we came on alongside we got on board.
Speaker 1: The sea state was incredible.
Speaker 3: It was so rough that going across by some nets or ladders would have been impossible.
Speaker 1: They actually had to use the ship's crane to send over a basket that we then got on and hung on too whilst we were swung across. So I can legitimately say that I swung on the end of a road a landing on a pirate ship, just like an Aeroflynn movie. But yeah, that's stretching a point slightly, but I did it. And then as soon as we got there, we just saw.
Speaker 3: The state the dilapidation, the trash everywhere, the cat leaves because the pirates they chew this leaf called cat that is like a stimulant.
Speaker 1: I never tried it. I didn't know what to compare it to. Thought I wouldn't know. So, yeah, those leaves were everywhere, and the crew they all they had left was their overalls or a few rags clothes that they'd managed to maintain. They'd all been kept on the bridge.
Speaker 3: They'd all been sleeping on mattresses up there while the parts slept in their cabin and then had a terrible, terrible time. But yeah, we pumped across fuel stores, supplies, food, whatever we loaded across, got the ships started.
Speaker 1: Oh, myself and myself and my buddy from the East African Special Forces had to go through every compartment and clear the whole space. And that was like a I'd never done VBSS.
Speaker 2: That one of those ships for two games.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'd never done the official VBSS training course.
Speaker 3: I was just figuring it out, and yeah, taping taping flashlights to the end of your rifle to have some some means of checking the corners and everything that was.
Speaker 1: That was pretty nightmarish and by the time we were finished clearing everything and verifying no parts were left on board.
Speaker 3: You know, they'd managed to clean it up a bit, get the engines started and start getting it out to see.
Speaker 1: I hope I'm not missing anything, and I'm not going to come back and say, oh sorry, I forgot but yeah. And we sailed north to Salala, and then I shared watches with the I think he was the third officer, and he just poured out everything. There was a time when when myself and the Kent, the East African Special Forces guy, had been clearing one of the corridors down in the Indian engine room when we'd come across these bloodstains on the wall, and the torchlight illuminated it and it was someone who had.
Speaker 3: Written in blood, we are only twenty one. And I found out one of the crewmen told me this was the captain. When the pirates broken into the superstructure and got all the crew out of the citadel, they were hitting the captain around their head with rifle butts and he was bleeding from it and trying to explain to them we're only twenty one.
Speaker 1: We're only twenty one. This is everyone. There's no one left. So he took the blood coming from his scalp and just wrote on the wall we are only twenty one. And that's what I saw. I mean, a few hours later the crew had cleaned it off, but I saw it.
Speaker 2: Wow, And.
Speaker 1: That was like some sort of intro to a horror.
Speaker 3: Movie or something, you know, going down through the decks of the ship with flashlights and one other guy and finding this and not knowing what the backstory was.
Speaker 1: And it was you know, obviously filled in later, but damn, that was that was pretty real.
Speaker 3: So the captain still had the scars from when they'd tortured him by putting ropes, you know, like Baylor twine around his wrists and pulling them apart.
Speaker 1: It's a common tactic they would use, be to to get the ship owners and the negotiators on the satellite phone and torture one of the crew in the background while they're trying to negotiate, to try and use that as you.
Speaker 3: Know, listen to the screams of your man. This is what your delays are causing. And yeah, that was that was pretty wild. And you know, you'll see the picture I thought about, you know, covering the faces. But if you put it off if you use it at your discretion. I know, if you want to, you'll see the looks on those faces and the story they tell. And just in the corner, peeking out behind the bridge winging bridge door, you can see me, you know, me in my yeah, twenties. I guess, bit of mileage since then, bit of middle aged spread, but you know it's I was there. And man, the story that that third officer told me of the five months he had been due to get married, he had been engaged. And in India, you know, postponing a wedding is a big deal. Yeah, because it's between the families.
Speaker 1: It's a match. It's not like a huge So he was worried.
Speaker 3: He was thinking that their family might have called it off. And he told me about torture. He told me about the starvation, the captivity, the beatings, and how the captors had said to some.
Speaker 1: Of them, look are you Christian or are you Muslim? And they'd been like, no, no, we're Hindi, We're Hindus. So are you Christian or Muslim? There was no in between, either one or the other.
Speaker 3: And yeah, the privation and suffering they had endured, and the doubt and wondering if his family was going to be decided, if he was going to get to marry this woman that he had only met a couple of times. You know, I'd been eating up on him and he said to me, you know, the day you came twenty one, men were born again. Up until then, from five months, we were in a space of in between alive and death, not knowing what what we would come out as.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, that was it was really really intense listening to him and burdening his soul over that that voyage north to Salala, and when we got into the port, dolphins came out to meet us, and all sailors believe, you know, dolphins are a lucky sign and it was just beautiful to see those and docking that was like a that was an emotional moment. There were minibuses there take the crew off. You know, we made our way the security team back to whatever agents came along, took the weapons or bonded them and whatever, sent them back to whatever armory. But that was my last time on a ship. That was my last trip. So I went back to London.
Speaker 2: Yeah, tell us about you know, kind of where you are today, what you're doing now.
Speaker 1: Well, there's a there's an epilogue to this that the story wouldn't be complete without, you know. I went back to London.
Speaker 3: I went through that whole period of trying to go straight because I thought that was my last job before I eventually went back to East Africa to work for the colonel. And a few months into the thing whatever in Devor, I was trying to make work in eventure travel or luxury travel.
Speaker 1: I hear from an I hear from the third officer, I'm getting married. The married. The wedding is on. That's awesome, and I want you to come. And I was like, oh, man, can I do this? Yeah, I can do this. And they'd been a they'd been a girl, an American as it happens, that i'd met like ten years ago on a dockside in Tangier that I had like a fling with in southern Spain and whatever, and I'd stayed in touch with her long distance, and she got married and got divorced, and I was like, man, I wonder if she'd come to this wedding with me. So I asked her and she's like, yeah, I'll come, crazy girl. So we went as guests of honor to this wedding in Deli, and their family treated me like a god. I was put up with them. I didn't stand in any hotels, I didn't eat any restaurants. They put me up for like ten days. An Indian wedding has like so many levels and layers to it. There's like three different ceremonies spaced out by a week, and yeah, we were there for all of it. They bought me, like I forget what it's called, like a like a tunic with these golden buttons. You'll see it in the picture. I don't want to try and fuck around with the pictures right now, but if you splice it in, there's a wedding photo with the third officer in the middle, myself on one side, the American girl who came along with me on the other. And yeah, man, at that wedding, I danced until dawn and it was like a like an emotional sort of epilogue to the whole.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, big time.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And and I I have to say, if I hadn't had that positive experience through that journey I went on through private security, if I had just finished Afghanistan and that was it, and I hadn't you know.
Speaker 1: Afghanistan was a kind of an unresolved, unfinished No one really got the ending they wanted to out of it. But I I kind of I kind of got something back through this whole party experience, and that I thank you that the crew said to me, and that first ship of suba marine, and that the experience of meeting that third officers family, and that the thanks I got from them, and the seeing that marriage and being there for that, and if it was like a it was it was a very much a healing experience from the the unpleasantness that that Afghanistan was. And I feel like a lot of the you know, my brother soldiers and comrades who went through that, they never got that that ending.
Speaker 2: It's like a sense of closure. Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: And I was saying to my you know, I've been thinking for the last couple of months, what am I going to say in this this interview, this thing we're doing. And I was having a walk with my wife and I said, I don't know what kind of person I'd be today if I didn't get that that happy ending. That sounds so corny. I have difficulty saying it.
Speaker 2: Out loud, but well, if you point out, you don't always get one in this profession.
Speaker 1: So she said to me, I don't know if you'd even be alive today, right, Yeah, well I thought you had a little bit more faith in me than that. But final take that, I guess. So, so, yeah, it was the epilogue, the wedding. It was a big deal and yeah, sorry, I I I didn't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just to just to start wrapping up, tell us you know about what you're up to nowadays?
Speaker 1: Oh man, So yeah, freelance Africa. Worked for an embassy. I kind of got to go straight after all. Did the embassy work for a year, and then I was the wife and I we pulled stumps and we quit our jobs and moved back to the States. And I've been living here now for almost ten years. I'm a US citizen. I've had two sons born here. They now have triple nationality. And yeah, moving to the States has been a trip. You know, it's been an adventure in itself. It deserves a whole chapter in itself. I love being here, I love the country, I love the people, and I've been working in corporate security ever since. It's not high arctane, you know, it's not it's not.
Speaker 3: See to the pants stuff. But it's been steady, it's been flexible. I get to do fun stuff.
Speaker 1: Every now and again we can and again I do a bit of executive protection as part of the job. And Yeah, it's been cool. I've been luckier than I have any right to deserve or expect. And I'm truly grateful for the people who've given me the opportunities that I've had. I'm truly grateful for, you know, the people in this country, the friends, the neighbors that I've made, and the you know, being being felt, being feeling like I'm I'm a part of it, and it's awesome.
Speaker 2: Is there a place where people can go to find you, Dave, Like, are you on LinkedIn? Or if people wanted to reach out and procure your services so to speak.
Speaker 3: No, I'm I'm corporate now and I have to get someone's permission to do anything outside of that.
Speaker 1: But gosh, I used to have a No. I mean, you can just find me on LinkedIn. I guess if you really want to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, these days, you know, I'm definitely in middle age, late forties, and I guess, you know, I still find time to try and blow my hair back occasionally, although having responsibility, you can't be quite as reckless as I used to be. So I found I found a way to you know, blow my hair back every now and again by doing shooting competitions and a couple of marathons.
Speaker 1: I've got one coming up in November, and yeah, looking forward to that. I tried the I dabbled in night vision shooting competitions and I had a little bit of success. I came last year, I came second in the largest one in the US, the EVE. For that, I think I came second as well. So yeah, I've I've found a little niche there and enjoy doing the odd the daytime competitions or or whatever comes my way. And yeah, I'm just really glad to be here and sort of really grateful for the opportunity to come and share this story because it's been a while. Man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, thank you for thinking of us. And these are some like really unique experiences. It's an insight into you for a couple of different reasons. Partly because it's private security and another that it's out in the middle of the ocean, so people don't really have visibility on it, so we really appreciate these sorts of like unique experiences and you sharing them with us.
Speaker 1: Well, I know I haven't been the best guest and I've chopped in chains. No, no, it's buddled the order. But hopefully you can edit into something something halfway legible and something that will be interest and hopefully entertainment to your audience. And it's been fun. Man, it's been a lot of fun just recounting it. How many minutes did we actually clock up in the end.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Yeah, oh okay, so yeah, I'll do a quick I'll do a quick outro here and we can get going. So thank you Dave for joining us on the show today. We'll have some links down the description if you want to find him on LinkedIn. And I hope all you guys enjoyed this sort of unique insight into private security on the high seas and we will see you next week. So until then, take care.
Speaker 1: Thanks man. Thanks to the audience for sticking it out this long. It's been emotional.
Speaker 2: Thank you Dave.
Speaker 6: Hello everyone. If you're hearing this you are not a member of the Patreon, you can get your hands on ad free episodes that come out early and you can ask us questions, maybe we'll answer them. You can also watch the Team House podcast completely the ad free and early, and you can also watch it live as we interview our guests, and it's the best way to support the channel, so if you can, if you're open to it, you can go to patreon dot com slash the Teamhouse. That link is in the description. We appreciate the supporters and we hope you would consider being one. So it's patreon dot com slash the Teamhouse. Thanks guys, passsssssssssssssssss.