Speaker 1: What's good? What ups musty?
Speaker 2: And you're checking out The Cruise Show podcast subscribed. Running Point is on Netflix. The Star I'm gonna say he's the Star. Fabricio Guidos here my guy, Bro, Bro show Welcome to the show, Brother. How are you man?
Speaker 1: I'm excited, Bro, it's very excited. Yes, I'm always always good to be here. This my first time in studio with you because the time it was like through zoom because of the pandemic, pandemic wearing the flesh. I'm feeling good, Bro. The response to the show has been amazing. Part of that has been people's reaction to it. So you can imagine just like going out, people are just showing so much love. Man, It's it's really made it very very special.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Man, Your character, Jackie Moreno, is a love child, right, finds out finds out through a letter that his mom left behind, Right, that you're a part of the family. Right. And the show is basically, like I mean, loosely based on Genie Bus, who's an executive producer. Genie Bus is executive producer of the show. Right, So any notes from like the boss.
Speaker 1: From Genie, I'll tell you what. No notes I remember I went in, and this is Genie's mentality. I love Genie. I went in, I went to a party or something. I saw Genie or the show had already been cranking. It was our wrap party. Genie's there. I'm like, hey, like, I'm so glad I'm on this show. It's like, we absolutely love you. I'm like, yeah, because I was on a Netflix show before. I think that helped. She goes it, didn't you earned it? She should talk to me like a player, talk to me like we're a team. She wants to get the best out of everyone. So I absolutely love Genie. I love that this show is here in La because I'm La born and raised. And just the fact that we're going to do our season two right again here in La and it's uplifting the economy here in our own city. We get to stay. The show is about La. It's a dude, it's the best.
Speaker 3: That's something that I really enjoyed. Like watching the show was like anytime they showed a local spot, I was like, bro, I know where that is. I know it was like home right now, Like that's where I grew up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's really dope. I see, like the city, like every time it comes up like downtown or something makes me want to shed a tear.
Speaker 2: Bro you grew up or actually what you were born in Montapelo. I was born in Monapela and then lived I lived all over. I moved around a lot as a kid. I feel like that's one of the best things that could ever happened to me. I feel like at times it felt like dang okay, I got to pick up my stuff and move around. But like, honestly, I got to know so many people on so many sides of the city and just the minor differences.
Speaker 1: You learned that Boyle Heights is not East La. You learn all these certain things that people are proud of their own, you know, communities about But yeah, I can't claim a city. I love it all. What about and though about JNS Monabela. Yeah, I've never been.
Speaker 2: Oh damn, I've never been. Blasphemy.
Speaker 3: You need to go to Jans.
Speaker 2: Cash only though, cash only the best?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 4: I figured, you know, Jackie's fake East La.
Speaker 2: I'm not fake you.
Speaker 3: So he likes to say that I'm fake because I was born I grew up borderline, east Ly Monabela. Literally my parents' address is like La but two doors down is Monabella.
Speaker 1: It's tough because you probably had friends that were growing up in that area too. Same thing with me. Like at one point I live borderline Alhamburg City Terrace. Like I could take three steps and I saw East Welcome to East La. It was literally like right there, and then I go and kick it off, says our child is on New York Street with all my friends there and skateboarding. But then it was like, all right, now I'm going back home to my zip code. Yeah, I'm familiar with that whole area too, so I guess I'm I'm a little bit of fake East A.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, what are your boulevard?
Speaker 3: I'm like, bro, that's East LA.
Speaker 2: Like, yes, that's right. And you went to Sure High Yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's not fake East LA. If you went to Sure, it got real.
Speaker 2: It got real.
Speaker 1: What high school did you go to? I was homeschool, you were home?
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was school through high school. Yeah, because I'd already I'd.
Speaker 2: Already acted working.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know I needed I guess the hours or whatever. I tested out of school to graduate early at like sixteen and some change, and then I started working legal eighteen. But yeah, my high school days were at home.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well yeah you were.
Speaker 4: You were working young man. You know, we we love watching Grays Anatomy for example, you're so like, I don't remember seeing.
Speaker 2: Him, Like they were just showing us that you're laying in the hospital bed.
Speaker 1: Out of the fart, stuck. Yeah. Yes, it's come a long way, bro, you know, from Grays Anatomy and now I'm here sitting right where Sexy Red was.
Speaker 2: That's right. Now you're sitting in her fart, sitting in her big place. Yes, that's right. Whose idea was it to act? Was it your idea? Was that a dream of yours? Was it introduced to you by family?
Speaker 1: It was introduced to me by the setting. I kind of grew up and my mom was really involved with the local theater here in La like in Boyle Heights with Gus Said On and then the three that Gatto Theater. It was the community theater that my mom was around acting. As a kid, I'd do my homework, I'd go over there and just like tend to my work. Her friends were like kind of indie filmmakers and people that were going to school. They were in their twenties and they'd be like, yo, Jackie. My mom's name is Jackie. They'd be like, can we borrow your son for this film? She's like, I don't know. I ask him, see if he wants to do it. Wow, And I'd be like, yeah, I'll give it a shot. And I really liked it. I was obsessed with Spider Man. I was like, I want to be Spider Man. Now I'm chasing kind of like different roles. But uh but yeah, man, before you knew, my mom was like, all right, let's listen, let's send you out for commercials. And that was a whole other thing, just going out for commercials and stuff and wow, yeah.
Speaker 2: And there it was. Wow was there was there a point where you didn't want to do it and thought, you know, I want to be a firefighter or a professional boxer.
Speaker 1: When I was little, I wanted to work construction, That's right. Yeah, Like my all my own work construction, and they go to work, and I'd stay in my grandma's backyard and I'd just like try and build stuff. But no, I mean as far as like wanting to do everything else, anything else.
Speaker 2: Did you hold down like a regular job anywhere?
Speaker 1: Never?
Speaker 2: Never? This has been it. Acting has been your life.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Hell yeah, bro, Yeah, lucky bastard. That's awesome. Man, See what a man? What a beautiful life, right, I mean, but it hasn't been easy. I know. You go on auditions, you think you got something, you don't get it. That's got to be tough too. That's heartbreaking stuff, especially as a kid.
Speaker 1: Oh throughe The rejection is crazy that when you ask me, like, has there ever been anything else you wanted to do? Sometimes? Yeah, sometimes it got to that point. But I had a really strong support system with my mom and just seeing her uh kind of journey with acting in the theater and stuff. My Mom's not a quitter, bro. So Like, if I ever think I I had it hard, I see the generations before me, and I'm like, no, no, you can't.
Speaker 2: You can't. There's no quitting, not hail, because it'd be a disrespect to everyone before you. Right, Sure, where were you when you found out season two of Running Point was gonna happen?
Speaker 1: I was in bed. I'm like, okay, so I've gotten notifications or they've reached out to me before when a season before? One time when the season got picked up, right and it was through Netflix too, and you know, that was more official, like I knew a day or two before the public and then they wanted to, you know, release it. I was in bed and my phone started going off at like eight ish in the morning, and I just checked and it was like, congratulations, congratulations, cause I thought it was just kind of like the spillover from just congratulating me because the show released, because it was only seven days or six days after the show dropped, and I wake up and I have there's like articles season two logging the Instagram, and Kate's on the Instagram like, hey, you asked listen we're coming back with the season two And I was like, dang, dreaming her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's very early.
Speaker 1: In the group chat right right, right, right.
Speaker 2: Right, And you think like Netflix would call you or your people, right.
Speaker 1: We called the confirm.
Speaker 2: You called them. Yeah, don't get too excited. Yeah right, this could be a fluke.
Speaker 1: Let me you guys. Am I in it? Am? I artist?
Speaker 2: Like that's so scary. I know, I know, it's like, wow, are they like is this trained leaving without me? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I guess it was just moving so fast, and just knowing Kate, it makes sense she probably was privy to it first. She got word first, and she's, uh, she works hard, she plays hard, so I just know she was so excited to share.
Speaker 2: She's a legend too, right, legend Kate Hudson's Penny Lane Garcia talk about it, Garcia, Yeah, now legend. You know when when you move up to carving station, that that happiness, Like, man, you really feel that happiness. Bro, that was like that was probably like I thought, like that, that's probably his reaction to getting the role.
Speaker 1: Dude, I cried, Man, I cried.
Speaker 2: Rom crying too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, bro, I get I get emotional, like like every time something like that, cause it's just like you you just keep your head down and you do so much work and then it's like all right, that's the that's the result, Like Okay, we got this and and it it and it felt really good because I absolutely love this character and everything about this series. I love that it was you know, in LA I just felt so connected. I just felt like it was me I was given in my all man, And uh yeah, when when I found out I got it, it was just like finally I can I can celebrate.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, even like in the show, right, like when when you ended up like moving up like the latter. It really felt like man like anybody like, no matter who you are. It felt like you could just start like with a company and just work your way up as long as you.
Speaker 2: Like, just want to do it, as.
Speaker 1: Long as you figure it out.
Speaker 4: Like it genuinely made me happy watching you as your character be like yo.
Speaker 2: Like you really got There's something to that, right, like acting, When when people can root for a character, you've really hit it there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think Jackie has a lot that that you can root for. I think Jackie represents kind of like the average fan. And by average, I don't mean that as a knock. I mean it in the best way. It's like an everyday kind of person. I also think Jackie just has that dog in him. When they asked him like, can you carve me like you said it was, he lied and was like, yeah, I can. So now that Jackie's in the assistant position and you know, trying to bring in new ideas and just recognizes with the fan experience on on his end that I guess the siblings can't because they're you know, and that those executive positions. Jackie's trying to bring that to the table.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's crazy like you find out one of them is a crackhead, Like, Yo, this is crazy. Yeah, but Yo, it's like it's like being in a Latino family, right, there's like there's this function, there's a little.
Speaker 1: Bit on a substance.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was with my family this Saturday. We were talking about my uncle breaking his rib when he was drunk because I dropped him. I was, yeah, did you know it?
Speaker 2: You know, how has Brenda Song become a friend of yours?
Speaker 1: I love Brenda. Brenda is amazing. I mean I wasn't all too invested in, like in sports before the show, specifically basketball, so I kind of had to do my homework and Brenda served as a guide. Because Brenda is obsessed with basketball. She even has like a championship rings. She was already tight with Genie, like she knows die hard.
Speaker 3: She's a die hard football fan too.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's a big Rams fan. I know people know this. Like Brenda went to the hospital once because she like hyperventilated because of a game she got so excited. Yeah, so she she's a fan for real, So you know she was. She was giving me all sorts of like advice on trades and just keeping me in on the loop, on top of just being the sweetest human being ever, on top of just like being a big sis and just like just asking me how I'm doing, talking about life, asking her about career stuff. Brenda has has just been so kind to hear.
Speaker 5: What did you learn when you study? Like, would you study Lakers franchise or just the NBA or what did you study? When you said you kind of got into the.
Speaker 1: I slowly just went into watching the games, learning the players. I started with the Lakers, and then that kind of branched out into the history of players before. Right, And I'm still doing my homework. I still don't know because keep in mind, Jackie loves the Waves or Jackie would love the Lakers, let's say, but he's not a historian on sports, right, So I'm not. I don't play a sports historian, but I am trying to get well versed in in that that world. A ton of documentaries, a ton of like all the Netflix basketball documentaries so good. Yeah, So I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, yes, yeah, there's a lot of legendary stories that are told and a lot of work ethic that should be studied from these players, right.
Speaker 5: Yes, Gravitating towards like a favorite player, you know, just now becoming a fan.
Speaker 1: Of oh right now, man, I you know, obviously the the the Kobe air is so strong, dude, and and you know, just getting to talk to Genie and and Genie having a passion for Kobe and showing me the pictures of you know, the statues or just plans that they have that and and the love for that, or even watching Brenda's love and how love Kobe was is that is That's been amazing. I can't I can't deny that. Also reading and uh watching documentaries on the whatever Mamba mentality that stuff like that, Like, how can you not love that?
Speaker 2: As an actor, you're studying that behavior, You're studying that body language that they have and the passion I guess for for the game right to to I guess internalize it.
Speaker 1: I think it's just too uh to feel yes, internalized, but to feel like you're showing up with the history of something, the love for something. I feel love love has to be at least love for a team is rooted in and kind of story, you know what I mean. So you have to know a little a little bit of that.
Speaker 2: Man, If you ever need, like, you know, Garcia could help you out man sports dude, Like, if you ever need someone on set, bro, he's the guy. Honestly, I got consultant.
Speaker 1: I got your number, Jeff for sure, not for if you have.
Speaker 2: Any questions, he'll help you out. You know, he's our producer. But he's also a good friend and he just you know, he when when it comes to sports, especially basketball, he's right there. His son's playing in Italy. Soon graduated from high school and headed out to Italy Congy. He spent a lot of time around Kobe and the Lakers. It was a blessing.
Speaker 1: I'll never forget imagine that.
Speaker 2: That he's being humble. Listen, he has pictures of Kobe holding up his kids. How beautiful is that.
Speaker 5: I would walk by around that corner right there, and I would walk by.
Speaker 1: It's always interesting.
Speaker 2: You always always yeah, but you know, I never.
Speaker 5: Really got to talk to when I'm there, I'm working.
Speaker 1: It's very specific. Yeah, yeah, if I if I have questions, I'll shoot them your way. But I feel like, more so than questions, is just the guidance of Hey, I think you should go here, I think you should know this. That might not be an area. That's the hard part. It's kind of like trying to do something without necessarily going to a college, right, because college has all the curriculum set for you. You just tappen every day, it's already set. But when you're trying to navigate it by yourself, you really rely on the people around you to guide you.
Speaker 2: And this is everything. What's up?
Speaker 3: Jack Something that I love about your character is that it just feels like you're playing yourself. Like it just feels like and that's like what you know.
Speaker 2: Who's playing themselves is Chat Hanks. He's respectfull, hef.
Speaker 4: Yo.
Speaker 3: He's also an animal too, But like I just feel like you seeing you talk and I'm just like, bro, I feel like he's just not even going off a script, like he's just this is how he would literally respond.
Speaker 1: You know what, it's it's very scripted at times. The well mostly every take we do a little bit of improblems, we're done with with what we've had to say, right. I did pull a lot from my own life to bring to this character. I feel like Jackie is a definitely has an influence of me, different parts of me. That is, I have to be so responsible, I have to be so disciplined. I'm always in this constant state of having to do what I have to do as opposed to what I want to do, and Jackie was me getting to do everything he wanted to do. It was a little less responsibility. It was kind of having like the you know, Jackie was just given the world right and it's going to enjoy it. And sometimes because of your responsibilities, you don't get the shot to enjoy things as much as you should. So, yeah, Jackie's very freeing. Jackie's dope.
Speaker 2: I appreciate that you can use that as a drop. Yeah, I wasn't talking about his characters, talking.
Speaker 4: About did this Jackie ever tell you about the crazy like name things?
Speaker 1: Was filling me and she was FaceTime.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my niece's name is Aila. Obviously your character's name is Jackie. There was a custodian's name.
Speaker 2: Who is Nico.
Speaker 3: And then there was a board member whose last name was Rivera's, which is my last name.
Speaker 4: His mom is Jackie and Momie and we were stupid high watching this show.
Speaker 1: They were, and I was just like, are we high?
Speaker 2: Or is all the names actually? Why is this clicking?
Speaker 1: They start putting in addresses. That's that's me, that's mine. What do you I just had lunch there.
Speaker 2: Do twenty three and me. I bet you guys are related low key somehow.
Speaker 1: Some problems some point, at some point I.
Speaker 2: Think, I think all I think those are loki. Yeah, it was a lot going on. Yes, didn't twenty three meters file for bankruptcy? Gars here? You saw that, right? Crazy?
Speaker 1: Their staff quit or something?
Speaker 2: Is that right? Is that what happened?
Speaker 1: I don't know what's going on. Everybody, WHOA, That's why I didn't send it in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've never done it either. I'm not doing it.
Speaker 1: That's why i've been If you, bro, I told you, dude, it was tough getting me to go to the doctor.
Speaker 2: Bro. We only go to the doctor when when something's like really wrong.
Speaker 1: And we got to get better at that. We do we got guys, we got to get better at doing that.
Speaker 2: No, I'll find something here and immediately checked my other arm to see if it's the same way, right, So I'm like, okay, if it's there, if it's there on both arms.
Speaker 1: You start making promises. You're like, God, if this goes away by tomorrow, I'll give up.
Speaker 2: That's how forgotten. Yeah, right.
Speaker 4: You just.
Speaker 2: Start talking to and you start making deals you start studying deals, man, and.
Speaker 3: You still do it, and you still do it after.
Speaker 2: Yo, man, so yo. Stand up comedy is also something that you're doing right.
Speaker 1: That's a new passion of mind.
Speaker 2: Now you're killing it, man. I've seen many clips, man, and that's tough. That's it's tough being up there, even as an actor, being on stage, being on the screen. Stand up comedy, that's a whole other world. That's a whole nother fear.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to be funny, man, I am. I'm up there and I love it. It is. It is just my only goal with that right now is just to have fun, just to enjoy myself, make people laugh. You know, I've been very fortunate with the shows I've been able to do and the turnout of people coming out. And I'm still in my baby stages, you know, I'm still I'm just getting started, but doing open mics and stuff. Yeah, absolutely, bro, I pull up to everything and anything. I'm gonna name drop. But you know, people know me from Iglesias. I feel like people know that I know Gabe, and Gabe is the one that introduced me to stand up. He put me on stage. I didn't know I wanted to do stand up also much. I was just at one of the parties. He was like, fab, you know, open up for me. I was like, bro, I don't do stand up. He was like, just come up with five minutes do it. And that day changed my life.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 1: Yeah. After after doing stand up for the first time, I was hooked.
Speaker 2: I was.
Speaker 1: I loved it. So it's it's been. It's been really really a cool journey.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: And Gabe told me go and do every show you can.
Speaker 2: He goes everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, don't cherry pick he goes dog do like, do any and every show.
Speaker 2: Pickup trucks with the speaker, whatever you gotta do. Yes, that's real and you're doing it. You're going for it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, your fab who would you say, is like your mount rushmore of comedians.
Speaker 1: Gabriel for sure. I don't just say that because I was, you know, on the show with Gabriel, Like I come on, Yes. I actually was introduced to like comedy itself through Gabrol. I remember being like eight years old, flipping through channels at a hotel and San Diego and Comedy Central popped up and I just remember I see this big man doing voices and I was hooked. I watched, Yeah, I watched his entire special and I was like, what is this? And it never occurred to me that I could do it. I was like, how is he just talking in so funny? And I didn't know a little more work went into this. But Gabriel, for sure I have. I've become a huge fan of Freddy Prince. That's a career that I feel got cut short, unfortunately. But I love Freddy's style. I love Freddy was doing. You know, this is a very long time ago. I'll watched Chappelle any day, Amen, any day. Dang force about these are not ranked at all, by the way, but just off.
Speaker 2: The top, right, Uh, someone new or someone more seasoned.
Speaker 1: Lopez was really formative. Man, I gotta acknowledge Lopez? Is he He really did a lot. He's a b M.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a beast bro. All those comedians, I mean, look at him, you know what I mean? They are the top. They're at the top. Man. Comedy is so sad, it's funny, it's crazy, right, It really is like you really got to tap into you know, your loneliness, I think, and what's wrong with you in a sense. Yeah, we're all outcast one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't remember. I think it was like Jimmy Carr that said this, like you're you're in a room full of people and you're the only one looking the opposite way.
Speaker 2: Wow. You know yeah, true man of outcasts, one hundred percent right. But we have to embrace it, sure and turn it into a superpower, I think, brow honestly. Yell, bro, congratulations, thank you man. We appreciate the time. Man, love to be here. Man, No, for real, man, I know what's crazy. We had you on FaceTime and Jackie went crazy. You screamed, screamed.
Speaker 1: That was so funny.
Speaker 3: That was just like because I thought he was like facetiming his son. He normally facetimes his sons. And then I was just about to say hi, and then I go.
Speaker 1: Ahead cut her off guard room. Yeah we we we have the same name.
Speaker 2: And family and answering the FaceTime is like, yo, like that's very cool of you to do. And you were driving well part.
Speaker 1: All right, put me on blast and he wasn't wearing.
Speaker 2: A seatbelt and he didn't have co insurance.
Speaker 1: You know, calls you gotta answer that.
Speaker 2: I appreciate that. Thank you man. Running Point on Netflix iCIO, Thank you very much, brother, we appreciate it. Let's go Cruise Show real night.
Speaker 3: Hey Jacking Rich for the Cruse Show. Thanks for listening to the Cruise Show podcast.
Speaker 1: Thanks