Speaker 1: Hey, this is Brian wanting to let you know that the Movie Film Podcast now has a Patreon. If you head over to patreon dot com slash moviefilm Podcasts and hit subscribe for only five dollars a month, you'll gain access to a special feed where you'll find every commentary we've ever recorded and every episode we do moving forward add free and without any interruptions. We are very grateful for our sponsors, and our free feed isn't going anywhere, but we wanted to offer an option we believe is the most satisfying way to enjoy the show, no ads, no interruptions. Your subscription will also go a long way and helping to support us and helping to sustain production of this show. So if you're interested, in able and want to enjoy the most satisfying way to enjoy the podcast, please head over to Patreon dot com slash moviefilm podcast and subscribe. We'd be very grateful and now on with the show. Welcome friends Podcasts podcasting show, Jacky and Brian. They're talking about them.
Speaker 2: They were raised in the streets.
Speaker 1: I was really bad today. I had two molk chios.
Speaker 2: I feel like craft.
Speaker 1: Think brought up in the hood to practice parking. What's the point everywhere you go?
Speaker 2: Hout to la and educated nice stems.
Speaker 1: Thanks hit the mall?
Speaker 2: Is it James Dean or Jason Priest though? Hello, Alicia Silverstone?
Speaker 1: Wait, existential Clueless?
Speaker 2: Do you have any idea what you're talking about?
Speaker 1: Rated?
Speaker 2: PG?
Speaker 1: Thirteen.
Speaker 2: Wow, Welcome to a movie film commentary track. My name is Zachie Assign I'm here with Brian Hall.
Speaker 1: Hey, how's it going, Zachie? As if we get two baldwins coming at you live Hopefully we're not Monaise, but that's up to you, the listeners who are not looking at it.
Speaker 2: So you're here to talk about clueless. And the timing could not be more appropriate because it did just celebrate it's thirtieth anniversary.
Speaker 1: You know, I was thinking about thirty years and in my mind, because I remember seeing this and I've rewatched it throughout the years, I'm like, well, yeah, I mean, it's thirty sounds like a lot, but it doesn't feel like a lot. But in nineteen ninety five, when this came out, thirty years previous to that, the Beatles were still together and man had not yet walked on the Moon.
Speaker 2: See my thought watching I was like, I was like, it is now a back to the future amount of time. Yes, Clueless came out right, that was my thought.
Speaker 1: That's an interesting so to try to picture a teenager like one of your your your boys, going back into the era of clueless, and what would that feel like for them? Because they have cell phones in this movie they do, you know, So I don't know's that's always sort of an interesting idea, right because things are so drastically different from eighty five to fifty five. But are they drastically different from now to nineteen ninety five in some ways?
Speaker 2: I think, I think substantially, so I would I would say things are drastic from nineteen ninety five to two thousand and five. I mean it's it's when you when you think about it, like the so much, so much of the social construct in this film feels like a different planet, forget a different era.
Speaker 1: You know now that you say it because I don't have kids, Yeah, but like I think what I'm not recognizing is just the different ways that they socialize because to me, I'm like, oh, yeah, I mean this is how I remember it, and I'm sure kids still like you know, just like hang out together and in the same room.
Speaker 2: And I think the only thing that is the same is Paul Rudd's boyish good looks.
Speaker 1: That's that's true. That is very true.
Speaker 2: That's the only thing that is that is applicable no matter when we have this conversation, it's.
Speaker 1: Something we can and we see where shares coming from. At the end, we're all a little in love with Paul Rud.
Speaker 2: We're all like, okay with your brother share uh so hey, And and the timing is also perfectly apropos because because as we record this, the school year is kicking into gear. You know, we're thinking about we're thinking about all all the social climber things that one does when when one is a you know, a junior in high school, or how our old share is right right, So we're gonna watch Clueless from nineteen ninety five. If you want to watch along with us, you can certainly do that. If not, we'll try to keep the conversation, uh you knows, as engaging as we can. Hopefully that's the perfect example, this little preview of the sparkling repartee. You're about to get huh uh so I'm cute up what about you, Brian, I'm ready to rock, all right, So we'll do the usual thing. We'll hit play on three. You meaning one, two three play. Here we go, Brian, ready, one two three play.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I mean, we were talking a little bit about this off air. But tell me about your relationship to this movie. I mean, when was the last time you saw it? Did you see it in the nineties? Is it something you saw later?
Speaker 2: I did see it in the nineties. I did not see it during its initial run. I rented it from the Hollywood Video on Army Trail Road.
Speaker 1: Were you a Hollywood video guy? I was Blockbuster guy.
Speaker 2: I was a Hollywood video guy, which actually doesn't make even a lick of sense because the Hollywood video near me was substantially further away than the Blockbuster.
Speaker 1: Oh interesting, I do remember that, like you'd be at a sleepover, because we were typically we actually had a mom and pop place. We went to President Video mostly, but sometimes if it was something was out, we'd go to a Blockbuster. But if I was at a sleepover and I saw the Hollywood video boxes, it was sort of like ooh, like exotic.
Speaker 2: But this movie definitely put Alicia Silverstone into the Zeitgeist, even though I mean she had been kicking around. She was in the crush.
Speaker 1: Well, ye, I was gonna ask if you, like we're familiar with her from the Aerosmith videos, because I think that's where she first really burst onto the scene where everyone was like, who is this?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I was not because I didn't have MTV.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I didn't either. Actually, and I remember seeing her or those videos rather at my friend's house. I remember that was like because I you know, I missed out on Beavis and butt Heead and Rin Stimpy and all those things. That was like, again speaking of exotic, I would be like at a friend's house and then I'd be like, oh, this is that Beavis and butt Heead. You get to finally see this? But yeah, there was. She was in three Aerosmith videos. Uh, the only one I see, what are they crying? Was one of them? Amazing something else? But the only thing I remember. Oh and Liv Tyler also Aerosmith's or Aerosmith you know, mister Aerosmith did Payback run Away. No, Stephen Tyler's daughter lived Tyler. It was the two of them in one of the videos. And I remember Alicia Silverstone like looking like she was going to jump off an overpass right and a guy was like no, And then you see she has a bungee cord and she's like flipping them off. Like I mean that was just as a whatever. I was fifteen year old, and you know, I was like instantly smitten with her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she is adorable in this movie. She like that's revisiting this for the first time since the nineties. I'm like, I'd forgotten how good she is in this.
Speaker 1: This is one of those things because I was looking it up and people that they were looking into for the role of share Reese Witherspoon.
Speaker 2: I can totally see that, totally get it.
Speaker 1: I totally get Carrie Russell, Tiffany Theeson, but can't see that not as much. But like Alicia Silverstone, this is one of those roles where you're like, oh, this was she was like or for this, Yeah, you know, because she's it's not just that she looks pretty and like she fits in in Beverly Hills and can be kind of funny and snaperr gum. I mean sher is like a really interesting character. Like that's the thing when you watch this when you're fifteen it's one thing, and watching it as an adult, I have like a whole added appreciation for this movie and it's writing, which we'll get into, but like sher is really interesting, Like she's sweet but also calculating, you know, and she's she's clueless, but she's also kind of wise in her own sort of way. Like she's a really dynamic character, and Alicia Silverstone brings all of those things I feel like to this character, so she doesn't just feel like a quirky blonde.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or a dumb blonde, you know.
Speaker 1: Totally.
Speaker 2: I feel like this movie, you know, to some extent gets lumped in like, oh, it's another dumb blonde, and I'm like, not really. And honestly, what I was sort of hardened by watching it again is like just how kind she is.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, exactly. Yeah, she's nice to everybody in her life.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, as we're watching her dismiss this boy that just like skits in front of her, but to be fair, they're being rude and Donald Faison, it's.
Speaker 2: Weird not having Zach Braff at his side exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you like to imagine he was just behind camera, you know, rooting his friend on. It's funny. I was gonna go down two different directions, but we have to talk about this moment that the Hadeans she called instead of the Haitians. Apparently that was something that Silverstone actually said, and Amy Heckerling immediately told everybody, don't correct her, just let her go with it because it's it's so perfect. But you know, I thought there was something interesting filmmaking wise about this. As she's talking, you keep seeing these shots of the kids. It keeps cutting away to students sort of distracted, and you know, you get a little joke with a couple of nose jobs and bandages on faces and stuff. But I read that her speech here was much longer interesting, and apparently you can see that speech in the trailer. I think they show most of it the original version.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, But what I was.
Speaker 1: Thinking about was they whittled it down to its perfect essence. It's not longer than it needs to be, and it's really hilarious and kind of insightful, you know, and perfectly in character for her and her point of view and her experience.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: But I was this is very random, but I was at my parents place recently and I was just looking through a closet with old DVDs and stuff, and Pretty Woman was in there because I used to work at New Regency and they gave us all their movies, and I saw it had a commentary by Gary Marshall, and I've been like missing commentaries lately, so I was like, I would love to listen to Gary Marshall talk through his movie, you know, a perfect romantic comedy. And one of the things he said on there was he kept pointing out when you do insert shots, and he goes, it's really important to do insert shots because you want to make sure that you're always including the best performances from your actors, and that could come from take one, that could come from take four, that could take seven. So always be armed with insert shots so you can piece it together perfectly. And so I had that in my mind as I was rewatching this and noticing that, yeah, they whittled her speech down to its perfect essence, but if they hadn't shot the coverage, if they didn't have those shots of the students, they would have been locked in to her longer version that wasn't as funny. And so I kept noticing how many times they cut away so her speech could be perfect. So I don't know, I thought that was some yeah smart, Yeah, this is hilarious. By the way, Breckenmeier getting his so he's got to jump out the window when he sees his great I mean, speaking of positivity, I mean, while as Sean for a goofy as his students are, he's very like encouraging, you know what I mean? Yeah, yeah, like I love the positivity. Instead of like rolling his eyes at the silly things they say, He's like, well that's not really on topic, but good insight.
Speaker 2: You know, at no point does he say inconceivable exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: Well, speaking of cell phones, I mean, this was kind of a gag right in five where it's like these two kids are on cell phones and they're like right next to each other. What's the deal?
Speaker 2: This was during the pager era for us plebes.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, oh, and you know, I oh man, this is coming fast and furious now. But I I wanted to call out. I watched this movie. I've seen it many times throughout the years. I really love this movie. But I saw it recently at an outdoor screening out here in Los Angeles. You know, so your your attention is completely zeroed in on it. It's not just you're watching the back half on cable or something. And it really stood out to me. What a amazingly funny script it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like, this is.
Speaker 1: A really tightly well written comedy. There's just so many gags, and there's they're all in character. And the gag that made me think it here is when she's talking about her house and she's talking about how it's like historical or whatever, and she's like, yeah, these columns date all the way back to nineteen seventy two. It's just these little things. I mean, it's just really funny, tight writing. Yeah, that's something I don't think I appreciated until.
Speaker 2: I got I think, if I'm not mistaken, this is this is the first in the wave of these teeny bopper rom coms that were, you know, reinterpretations of old timey works.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it became a genre unto itself, right, right, this is This is inspired by Emma Yes, and then Ten Things I Hate About You eventually exactly right, And there's more. I mean, isn't she all she's all that like uh Pygmalion, right, yeah, Pigmalion. Yeah right, So Dan.
Speaker 2: Hidea or as I like to call him live action most is lack.
Speaker 1: Brilliant. Yeah, he's great. I mean, yeah, I heard that Heckerling just knew what she wanted this character to be. You know, he's kind of like this bulldog, scary person, but like Share wasn't afraid of him and actually took care of him. And they were looking at a few people and one of them was Harvey Kaititel, but he's too expensive here. Oh, she really had a type that she's for this dad.
Speaker 2: But honestly, that was like, I really liked how respectful she is of her dad.
Speaker 1: That's true, and he really respects her.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Right, He's got this bluster and sort of like I say, bulldog sort of nature, but he he admires her, you know, and and her her pluck and her intelligence and and and rut. There's a really sweet line he says when he said that Rudd is going to be staying with them, and she's like, ugh, you know, and he's like, look, you know, we divorce wives, not children.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I just thought that was surprisingly sweet.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh and Jerry Orbach I think was one of the first people they had in mind, which I can kind.
Speaker 2: Of see, I can totally see that yeah, yeah, yeah, but he kind of did that already, but he did it in Dirty Dancing already.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you know what, that's probably where she had it. Yeah, right there. The teacher. That's Twin Kaplan, who was a sort of a producing partner often with Heckerling, you know. Oh and Paul Rudd speaking of getting older and revisiting this. When I was fifteen, I did not understand his character. I didn't get that he was an emo college guy, you know what I mean. It's like he's introduced playing you know, Radiohead, and he's wearing an Amnesty International shirt and he's talking about Marky Mark, you know, being a philanthropist for being at a tree dedication. I just all all over my head because I don't know that I knew a person like that at fifteen, right, you know. And so now it's kind of funny that characterization.
Speaker 2: Now now you can look back at that and be like, get over yourself, yeah right right.
Speaker 1: Or there's that scene later where he's, you know, wearing the black turtleneck and he's got the goatee and he's reading Nietzsche, you know, mita. Yeah, So it's it's kind of interesting too. I mean the the story of this movie coming together. It originated so Amy. Well, let's talk about Amy Heckerling really quick. I mean, she did Fast Times at Ridgemont High, which remains like an all time classic teen.
Speaker 2: It's it's a definitive high school movie of the eighties. Absolutely.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say comedy, but it's really more of a dramedy. But but then she went on to do National Lampoon's European Vacation, which I don't know, you know a lot of people know that or even that's am I wrong? Is that a little bit of a forgot in vacation film?
Speaker 2: I think it is. Yeah, people remember vacation on Christmas vacation.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly, And it's for her that was just like a job, and that one does feel a little off, you know, next to the other one of the vacation films. But and I think it wasn't written by John Hughes whereas the other two were. But anyway, so I guess Fox, I want to say, was looking for a teen show and they wanted to be about teenagers but not nerds, this is what they said. So they came to Amy Heckerling to develop something. This is in nineteen ninety three, and so like her you know, nugget of an idea was, you know, the most successful character she had ever done so far was Jeff Spaccolian Fast Times, and her quote is, people think that's, you know, he's popular because he was stoned in a surfer, But that's not it. It's because he's positive. So I thought, I'm gonna write a character who's positive and happy, and so that's where she came up with Share. And it's funny because Share couldn't be more the opposite of Heckerling. Like have you seen what she looks like?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Like she she's admittedly, she's like a very New York kind of cynical person. She you know, has dark black hair, you know, wears dark clothing and stuff. So it's just funny that she kind of loves these positive characters, almost like they're aspirational to her, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And so anyways, she remembered reading the Jane Austin novel Emma in college, thought that was a very positive character, and kind of ran with that and came up with this sitcom. And I think the sitcom was called No Worries, Okay, And which is kind of interesting right, because if you look at this film and its structure, it is kind oftic, yeah, like kind of like helping out, you know, try to put the connect, create a love connection with the teachers. And then there's sort of the Pismo Beach disaster which is made up you know at the end, like just all these little episodic things. Oh and then of course how she attaches herself to Tye later and so well, so then she presented the sitcom and Fox was like, this is too there's too many like female lead characters. They wanted something that felt a little there's not a boys in it or something. And so anyway, she was going to put it aside, but her agents and encouraged her like, well, I don't turn into a film. This feels like it's got some elements that are working. So she turned it into a movie. Scott Ruden somehow read it. Bitting war ensues and then Fox doesn't even get to make the movie, you know, Paramount gets it, and then it becomes this this classic that's lived on thirty years and going.
Speaker 2: And then it becomes a sitcom and Fox doesn't get that either.
Speaker 1: That's true. Yeah, So yeah, it's it's interesting because this movie. I think you could call it a sleeper hit. But it only made about just under sixty million in the US eighty eight million worldwide. But obviously it's never gone away. I mean everyone remembers it, remembers things about it whatever, you know.
Speaker 2: What of us, I mean against a twelve million dollar budget, that's a that's a massive hit.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and it's it's kind of it. But anyway, so yes, they wanted them to capitalize on that. It's it's whatever you want to call it, popularity called status. And so then they did a syndicated sitcom, right all.
Speaker 2: Right, it was well, it was it was part of ABC's TGIF initially, Oh was it really?
Speaker 1: Because I only remember being on Channel fifty.
Speaker 2: That might well, well it it was on TGIF, and then it was on Channel fifty because because UPN picked it up.
Speaker 1: Oh I see, I see, yeah, which is its So they didn't get Silverstone back, but they did get a few of the I mean almost everybody, yeah, almost everybody else, Yeah, I because because Stacy Dash, Elisa Donovan Wallace, Shawn trnk Kaplan, Dan Hillwiya. I mean they I think Paul Rudd and Alicia Silverstone are the only ones wh weren't in it interesting. Yeah, but but yeah, it's funny for having the structure that it has. Though it totally works. It's very watchable, like it really moves. Yeah, you know, I was actually watching, as we do with these older films. I looked at the Cisco Neebit review and that's basically what they said. They said when it began and it was sort of doing that parody of what you think the movie's going to be, where it's showing these teenagers and these like wild MTV camera movements, and they were like, I think Eber said his heart sank, like oh no. But then she made a joke about like I bet you're thinking, you know, my life looks like a Noxema commercial and he's like huh, and then they were both in love with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember they really championed it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and then saying that, yeah, it just it gets going and never stops, and I feel like it really does.
Speaker 2: Think I think with Alicia Silverstone, I mean, this movie elevated her to a whole different plateau and then and then she parlayed that into Batman and Robin and then she pretty much decelerated from there.
Speaker 1: Is that such a bummer. I mean I really probably covered that on our Batman and Robin commentary, But I mean it feels like the natural evolution, right, Like you are this big star, so then you be in a superhero movie.
Speaker 2: Hey see, the more things change, the more they stay the same, I know, right.
Speaker 1: But I mean obviously that movie George Clooney to this day, you know, apologizes for it. So obviously nobody came away from that movie looking good. But she, I think had an especially difficult time on it. There's a lot of scrutiny just with her her body, yeah, and all sorts of things just in the not that we've you know, I think people are still cruel, but it was easier to be more openly cruel I think in that era. Yeah, that's really shameful to look back on, but it makes me sad. I mean, she's she's so talented, you know. Yeah, I think she's continued to pop up, but not in the way that she did in the nineties.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, so she she headlined a movie the Coast rank Beniso del Toro, right, I think it was ninety seven or ninety eight. Yep, I forget what it was called Excess baggage or something like that. M hmm, I'm gonna have to look that up. But but that that one died h and then and then basically, I mean she she had a she had a show on NBC a couple of years later called called Mismatch. And then I think recently she was like the mom in one of the Diary of a WHIMPI kid movies.
Speaker 1: Oh that's right. Yeah, and she's in the Yorgo's Lanthemos movie that's coming out.
Speaker 2: I can't Oh, okay, I didn't know that.
Speaker 1: Uh is it called Bogonia or something like that. This is gonna sound silly a couple of years from now when everyone everyone's seen Bogonia Excess Baggage. I was right, wow, good memory.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and she was in Blast from the Past with with Brendan Fraser.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which I've never seen but seems like it would be cute.
Speaker 2: Is Yeah? That cute that's the word. It's it's charming. You know, it's not going to change your life.
Speaker 1: But yeah, now you Cisto here, you must have some sort of fondness for him. He's a law and order guy, right, he was.
Speaker 2: He played Detective Cyrus Lupo in the in the last three seasons of the original run of Lawn Order. I mean it came back right, one of my favorite Lawn Order detectives. He was great, although in this movie, tell me he is not the spitting image of Garrett Hedlund. Yeah, it's like they came off an assembly line, like a T eight hundred assembly line.
Speaker 1: That's so funny, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is remarkable to look at the young stars of this movie and realize, like almost to the one, everyone went on to have a career beyond this movie. M hm, right, I mean Donald obviously, Breckenmeier, you know, the sisto. You know who's on one of the Chicago shows now or he's on FBI one of them Dick Wolf things. Anyway, doing Okay, Stacy dash is like a right wing lunatic on Fox News. So she's found her niche.
Speaker 1: She kind of yeah, posts posts wild sort of thing, conspiracy sort of things.
Speaker 2: A couple of years after this, she did a Playboy spread.
Speaker 1: Oh interesting. Well, you know what's interesting too, is I think Silverstone may actually be fifteen or sixteen or something in this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she said she was. I think she said she was eighteen when she made.
Speaker 1: This okay, but Stacy Dash was twenty nine.
Speaker 2: Well black, don't crack she I mean.
Speaker 1: She looks incredible in this, but yeah, she fits right in, I mean standing next to all these supposed teenagers.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It reminds me of you know, on Boy Meets World. You know, Sean had that girlfriend who was African American. Uh huh, and she was substantially older than the rest of the cast.
Speaker 1: Oh interesting and.
Speaker 2: Kind of the same drill.
Speaker 1: You know, that would be kind of you know, and then the reverse right where you have a screech on saved by the bell, where he was substantially well younger. I was gonna say, I don't know it substantially, but in teenage years he.
Speaker 2: Was younger thaneers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that made him feel a little ostracized. Yeah, this classic scene here, this is so funny talking about how oppressive gym classes is. All the balls are just popping behind it.
Speaker 2: I relate. Jim. Class was the hell scape of my high school years.
Speaker 1: You know why though, because you had to like run a freaking mile. Yeah, and then like put your winter clothes back on, and you know, December or whatever, Jean's in a sweater and then suddenly you're in Spanish class, you know, and so you're like, like, this is disgusting.
Speaker 2: See. I think for me, Jim class was, you know, because the rest of the day I could sort of get by on on my banter and my sparkling personality. Yeah, thank you for humoring me there.
Speaker 1: Uh huh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but Jim class is where, you know, it was just laid bare that I was just in absolute shambles of a man and beyond hope, you know.
Speaker 1: You know, there would be certain things where it was like okay, like we can all do this right, But then there'd be other I'm trying I don't even remember, like kickball or something. It's like all right, well you can just kind of hang out in the outfield and the ball is probably not going to come to you, and then forty mental pass and I'll be in Spanish. But yeah, then there'd be other things where it was like all attention was on you and your ability, and yeah, that could be really intimidating.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's no pressure quite like the pressure of the clock is ticking. You're playing field of football and and you're the only one that's open, so they throw that ball to you right right, You know and you don't live that shit down, I'll tell you.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, by the way, the gym teacher is played by Julie Brown who.
Speaker 2: MTVVJ Julie Brown.
Speaker 1: Yes, And I was gonna say, I am aware of who she is, but I feel like I'm of an age or generation where I don't really did I had no well maybe I had. The no cable thing had part to do with it, but I don't really know who she is. I just know she is. You know what I'm saying. I don't know, did you. I didn't even realize that was her. And then also I didn't realize she acted. I just remembered her being an MTV person.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just know the name from from the MTV stuff. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. By the way, so I read this thing that was kind of funny about Faison. So there's that scene later where he's shaving his head, which is kind of funny because it brings about an argument with him and his girlfriend.
Speaker 2: But and he was like balding in real life, right, So.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So well I read that and then I thought, wait, so, I mean they do in the earlier scenes. I never paid attention, but now that I'm watching it, every scene he's wearing a hat until he shaves his head.
Speaker 2: How funny.
Speaker 1: Isn't that interesting? That's funny.
Speaker 2: He's so Julie Brown in this he's so perfect so well he plays the Donald Faison character.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, he's just so funny and lovable.
Speaker 2: He is he is, He's turk. I mean, yes, it's that. And he realized that's just him, you know, yeah, yeah, right right right. So Julie Brown, she was on a show I didn't I didn't make the connection until just now called The Edge, which was a sketch comedy show on Fox. It aired from from like summer to it was like that season ninety two to ninety three. And that show I remember that was the first time I saw Wayne Knight. Oh, he was part of the ensemble. The first time I saw Jennifer Aniston, she was part of that ensemble.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: So that's the first time I saw Julie Brown.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: Funny, But I didn't, I didn't make that connection.
Speaker 1: Well, in speaking of Breakout Cast, I mean, we haven't talked about Britney Murphy yet.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I had a little bit of a Mandela effect where my memory of the poster of the film, which if you remember the poster, you've got a Lisa Silverstone in the middle, kind of looking clueless on her phone. And my memory was Stacy dashes to one side and at least a Donovan is to the other.
Speaker 1: Mmmm.
Speaker 2: And I didn't realize until I looked at it. I was like, oh, that's Britney Murphy on the poster, right, right.
Speaker 1: She looks very different.
Speaker 2: She does well, I mean.
Speaker 1: She just looks different from pretty much anything else we've seen her in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, And obviously it's hard to watch this and not take the tragedy of her life into like sort of imprint that on our viewing of this. Unfortunately, I know it makes it just it's funny because it's like you want to just sort of celebrate her, but yeah, just sort.
Speaker 1: Of saying her name just like a wave of sadness.
Speaker 2: What I like about the relationships here is that you can see the cruel version of of share and and and you know Deane being like, oh, like, let's make her a little project. But they don't do that. They actually befriend her, yeah, genuinely. And and again this just goes to like it had been long enough since I saw this that I had forgotten that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: That No, it's like they're they're they actually form a relationship with each other, and they're not being They're not like, oh look at her. Why you know, she's our little you know, science project. You know, it's no let's you know, uh, let's take her in. You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sort of like the other like can't buy me love or she's all that. Like a lot of those things come from a place of there's some sort of cruelty and cruelty right, and yeah, this movie is just entirely optimistic, you know everyone. Well, and it's funny because going back to the episodic thing, I mean, it's like the first episode sharing her friend try to create a love connection with their teachers, and then this is the hey, this new girl comes to school, it doesn't quite fit in, and so she decides to help her, you know, fit into the culture there. Like you know, like it's these episodes, but they find a really good way of linking it all. Yeah, but it does sort of reveal that like this must have been a couple episodes she had in mind. Even though they do flow, she doesn't make it flow. Well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well and I think that I don't I we can't underestimate the impact of it being Amy Heckerley and of it being a woman absolutely, you know, imbuing these characters with life, you know, because you can see you can see that she's all that.
Speaker 1: Version yep, in a movie that kind of objectifies Share, right, you know, yeah, I mean, you know, look at mean Girls, well mean girls, Tina Fe obviously wrote the thing, but you know you can see Share and and Dione being the the the plastics, you know, oh totally, you know, yeah, I always love this. Just this scene is so cute where it's like Paul Rudd's observing Share, trying to be like obi wan Kenobe in a way to tie you know, and just like teaching her you know, we gotta, we gotta, we will. First we work on our bodies, then we work on our minds. And she's like so our word of word of the day, sporadic, you know. And it's one of my favorite lines in the whole movie, is when Rudd leaves and you know, like see you later or whatever, and then ties like hope, I hope not sporadically, like using the word she just learned. It's so funny and cute, but she's so perfect too. I mean, I mean, this is so adorable. He was just watching this Mental's commercial. Everyone is so perfectly cast in this movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, tell me that commercial does and just take you back.
Speaker 1: Right, I mean you think about it like there was a whole Foo Fighter's commercial or uh music video based on that commercial, right, like, because it was just so well known, and it was like, oh, that's a lyrics they're doing the thing that I know.
Speaker 2: What was the other?
Speaker 1: Oh Beavis and Butter was speaking of Beaves and Buthead they were watching that earlier.
Speaker 2: Makes sense, it's a paramount property.
Speaker 1: Oh, I didn't even think about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because we see Ran and Stimpy and and Beavis and butthead. Both of those are viacom.
Speaker 1: You know what's interesting too, I'm wondering if this is gonna you'll resonate with this. But I was looking up its box office and I saw that it came in second place behind Apollo thirteen, okay, And I was like, oh, okay, so just place it in context of time in movies and releases and stuff, which feels like a long time ago to me. But looking at this movie, it looks beautiful. I mean, it's just it looks like it was shot yesterday. Yeah, and so for being thirty yeyears old in nineteen ninety five me watching a movie from nineteen sixty five, I'm sure I would. If the movie was good, I would enjoy it. You know, I liked It's a Wonderful Life at that age. But they looked older, and I could find myself, Especially seventies films, I always thought they looked kind of washed out, yeah, you know, and they're kind of brown, you know, yellowish color palettes and stuff. They just looked old to me. Yeah, But now it feels like as the thirty year gap moves forward, movies the way that they're either filmed or the way they've been preserved or whatever, they look a little less. They're more ageless, right.
Speaker 2: Well, well, part of that is is the film stocks utilized through the sixties into the ear least seventies, they just had a you know, we went from Technicolor, which was like overly kind of garish, yeah, to you know, I think I think it's called Deluxe color, which was more washed out, until we kind of landed at this platonic ideal. You know, look, tell me that's not Garrett Headland's like clone.
Speaker 1: No, totally totally.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I think that's interesting thing. It's a beautiful print.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I wonder if it helps these movies live on in a way where they're just they they blend. Like if if a younger person is just scrolling through Netflix, this may as well look, you know, like a film that had just been shot five years ago.
Speaker 2: You know. Yeah, well I'll tell you you know, because I started watching it my daughter. She she came down and she ended up watching the whole thing with me. She liked it. She she was she was down. I had to skip past some of the stuff, you know. Yeah, yeah, yeah, but for the most part, you know, she she was on board with it. Yeah, she was like, is that ant man?
Speaker 1: Oh really?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Oh that's funny. I love the Hedea when Ty is sitting in his chair, He's just like, get out of my chair.
Speaker 2: Well, that's that's the thing I was. I saw the honest trailer for this, and it was like, everybody over twenty five realizes that that Dan today is the character you most relate to, right.
Speaker 1: It's right, right, But that's not me. It's like, no, that's my chair like that. Yeah, that's the thing that I understand as an adult and even when I eat over at people's places, I'm like, where do I sit? I don't assume any chair is open to me, you.
Speaker 2: Know, I mean like literally, just in the last week, you know, you know, my kids, like their cousins were over, my kids, cousins, and and it was dinner time, and one of them sat where I normally sit, and I get my plate. I walk over. As I'm walking over, one of my kids is like that that's my das's chair.
Speaker 1: Oh really, yeah, dude, that's hilarious, dude about Okay, So, speaking of time capsule, the directions they're using here, she's using a Thomas Guide. Oh wow, instead of ways, you know. But again, I mean, I'm looking at this image and I swear this movie could have come out in twenty five. But like, it's hilarious seeing her use a tom which, for people who don't know that was I had to use this when I was a pa, yeah, because they'd be like, all right, you got to deliver this thing to god knows where, I don't know where it is. So you had this thick book and it was basically imagining an enormous map that had been chopped down into pages. But it was all out of order. So if you were looking at, Okay, I'm on this street and I need to get, you know, like twenty blocks north. Well, obviously it ended because it was a page in a book, but it wouldn't just be the next page. It would say like it'd have something like N twenty four at the top, so then you had to look up like section N twenty four to continue that map twenty pages somewhere else deep with I'm sure this makes no sense what I'm saying, but it's just nostalgic and also makes me like, thank Heaven that I don't have to use one of those things anymore. They were the worst, But I didn't know any better. I didn't have ways, you know. I was just, I said, visiting my parents and I was driving around and my dad was just like, man like, how do you You're really good with directions? Like no, I'm not. I just literally this thing is telling me which lane to get into to turn left, like I just it seemed makes me seem impressive, but it isn't.
Speaker 2: I like Breckin Meyer. I've always been a fan of his.
Speaker 1: Very likable guy. He introduced the movie when I saw it live. Recently, Oh, no kidding, yea, But yeah, he's really hung in there, and he's kind of in that seth Green crowd, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, isn't he involved? Yeah? Was he one of the producers of a robot Chicken?
Speaker 1: I think so in a you know, voice actor writer kind of thing.
Speaker 2: Donald Faison he's another guy on on on robot Chicken.
Speaker 1: Hm. You wonder if they kind of became like a little bit of a gang.
Speaker 2: I would not doubt it for a second, because because Donald Faison is is Gary the stormtrooper, you know, who was to take his daughter with them to work and stuff.
Speaker 1: Oh that's funny. I was reading that this was very difficult, this sucking blow thing, Like they just literally could get it to work, and so.
Speaker 2: They just had to try again and again.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, the actors are like, we just can't get it to work. But apparently they had put on like a ton of chapstick to make it stick.
Speaker 2: Ah, Okay, there you go.
Speaker 1: But uh, I wouldn't know. I never played sucking Blow.
Speaker 2: I hope somebody takes that little audio clip of you saying that and just uses it out of context somewhere.
Speaker 1: That's funny, Like I just I get these gay like spin the Bottle and all these things on TV.
Speaker 2: I was like, I I didn't do did you? Did you go to parties?
Speaker 1: Part certainly? Uh, maybe like one or two, but not normally. I mean I was like I definitely had like my friend groups and like my comfort but like this was like a little out outside of my comfort zone.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I don't. I don't remember ever. I mean certainly not when I was in high school for sure. Yeah. Yeah, you know, I may have attended one or two when I was in college. Yeah.
Speaker 1: This reminds me more of like after work parties, Yeah, with all the coworkers and we'd end up at someone's house and there'd be a bunch of people you didn't know, but like you had your little gang, your little troop.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, honestly, my recollection is when if I ever ended up in a place like this, it was it was too obnoxious for me, Like I just I it's too noisy, you know, it was not fun, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean yeah, I probably had a lot of anxiety about it, like I am I gonna know anybody whatever, And then you always kind of end up having not a bad time because you do find someone to hang out with somebody, find a corner, Yeah, which all I forgot too. It's there's kind of these funny jokes. They keep joking about party it's in the valley, which makes me laugh now because I live in the valley. And then when they go outside, I think later, you know, you hear a helicopter overhead, and that's very much life in LA there's always a police helicopter in the sky.
Speaker 2: So she lives in Beverly Hills. Yes, So what's what's the drive like from Beverly Hills to the valley.
Speaker 1: Well, it kind of depends. I mean, she could take some streets cut through, you know, through the hill, but I would probably take the four o five to the one to one to the one thirty four to wherever wherever this is supposed to be to sound like that sketch the Californians.
Speaker 2: That's I just wanted to I was just cuing you up for that.
Speaker 1: You know, she could have made her way to Sunset and uh, I don't know Fairfax and so the the.
Speaker 2: The characterization of Elton is interesting to me in this where you can you can imagine the the more broad strokes version. Yes, and I actually like that they they they make they keep him likable.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: Even yeah, sorry, even with like where we end up with it as character, they don't they don't make him vile.
Speaker 1: They seemed to keep him in a sort of clueless, selfish zone rather than a calculated predator.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: I mean she he does a lot of unwonted touching which she kind of brushes away and stuff which I hopefully you know, I mean that's probably was probably still happens, but I was gonna say it was less talked about and people were probably told less that that was like bad being I mean where I feel like now it's like, hey, I feel like that's more of an open conversation these days.
Speaker 2: Look, I don't know about you, but I knew plenty of Elton types when I was in high school. Yeah, and people were more handsy and not in an overtly, you know, creepy way. But you know, there is more awareness of that, which I think is a good thing. But I don't see anything in here that that doesn't resonate with what I remember things being like back then.
Speaker 1: Right totally. But yeah, like you said, I mean, no one's like super arch in this movie, right, Yeah, Well, that was the joke, by the way, Yes she's her dad calls and she's by the pool and that helicopter's overhead and she's like, I'm at a party. He's like where in kuwait? Yeah, and she's like, no, in the valley.
Speaker 2: I think I think the most villainous person in the movie is is that legal aid you know who gets into it with them at the end.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's right. Oh yeah, yeah, I would say, oh, here she is. She's talking about sunset and everything. Yeah. So this is the Californians portion of this movie where they're arguing over the best directions to get home because he wants to go home with Share.
Speaker 2: He doesn't want to Share Share exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: This is so sweet though, like she's her cute, like her pouty she is that her plan isn't working. So this this whole thing coming up here with well, we glossed over the whole funny line. I remember my audience laughed really hard where he's like, oh I left my Cranberry CD out in the quad. She's like very nineteen ninety five thing to say.
Speaker 2: That's like something you would put in a movie set in nineteen ninety five. That's make Now.
Speaker 1: That is a great point because I saw this and then last year I saw Empire Records at that outdoor screening and my friend and I were commenting, it's funny because now you have these Netflix films where they're period pieces and they take place in the nineties. But it's funny watching these movies that feel like period pieces. But it's like, no, this is actually the nineties. You feel like this isn't actually even though this movie is a little more heightened, you know, I think this movie it strikes a really interesting balance, doesn't it. Where they're slightly over the top, especially in their fashions, but it doesn't feel like they're on another planet.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Circus Liquor here, This is whenever I pick up my parents when they come into town at Burbank Airport, I always passed this Circus Liquor and always right out to my mom because she's read Emma and I had her watch Clueless and you know, just to make the one to ones, and so I was like, hey, look see this is where she got robbed.
Speaker 2: See, like, even this sequence, he is being inappropriate, but it stops before he gets to inappropriate.
Speaker 1: Right, Sure, sure does that make sense, you know, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and he like, he's not. I mean, I'm gonna be very clear. He leaves her, he shouldn't do that. I was just gonna say, I do.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The film doesn't make him irredeemable, is my point, right, right, And I think that is important because to do that, I think it would get too far outside the realm of what the world the movie is creating, right, you know, it's interesting.
Speaker 1: I'd kind of forgot about this part, but yeah, this this does, you know, show a little bit or reveal, you know, him thinking that there are classes of people, that's right and saying are you? And I makes sense? Ty, and I don't make any sense.
Speaker 2: When I like that she stands up for herself. She's like, get kiss off, you know, m hm.
Speaker 1: Hmm, and that she doesn't feel that way, which I love. She doesn't view Tie as someone in another class she's trying to bring into her class.
Speaker 2: It made me mad seeing his car drive away, because I'm like, I don't know, I like watching it, I'm like, fine, you pretend you're pulling away, but you stop.
Speaker 1: And he said, this is inexcusable to leave her in the middle of nowhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's I remember watching this last night. That part made me really mad.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, but it's funny because I mean even I mean, this is horrifying, you know, her literally being at gunpoint, but they still managed to kind of make it kind of funny. Yeah, in character for her where she's just like, oh, I can't lie down in this he's a very important designer and he's just like what like you know what I mean, Like, no matter what happens, and this is I'm agreeing with what you're saying. Also with the way they handle Elton. They never like get out of this zone of fun right exactly, Like even when things go bad, because they have to. It's a story, right, they still you know, it's not like not like she sudden suddenly exits into like some sort of gritty movie. Right, We're not having at least a little bit of fun anymore.
Speaker 2: So. So you said that the Circus Liquor is still it is still open.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I've never been there, but I've passed it often. Get a glimpse of rud and his sort of crunchy college girlfriend. I feel like she's wearing like a beret or something. Later. Yeah, but again, like I didn't I didn't get it as a kid, you know, it's it's funny reading research about this, I thought this was very funny. So basically researching the script, Heckerling sat in on a bunch of classes at a Beverly Hills high school, Okay, to sort of get a feel for student culture. And I was like, how many times did writers in the nineties do that? The eighties, because Cameron Crow did the same thing to write his book Fast Times at Ridgemont High which became the film. And I was like, we're kids in Beverly Hills high schools just used to the idea of like a thirty five year old just sitting in on their class to observe them.
Speaker 2: That's so funny, you know what I.
Speaker 1: Mean, Like, yeah, you know I went and said this, you know, innocuous thing, and then someone opened a notebook and just started writing it down for some reason.
Speaker 2: You know, there were probably far less procedural hoops to jump through back then too.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Sure, you'd probably just roll up me like, hey, I'd like to sit in Okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sure, fine, we're making a movie.
Speaker 2: Whereas like nowadays, there's like a gauntlet you have to go through, you know, Oh, man, yeah, understandably, but you know, it was a different world back then.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, but I mean it makes sense that she would think that though, too, because I mean that's what happens for her first movie, you know, with Crew.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's like all right, and you know, honestly, it kind of makes sense, like you said, there'd be more hoops now. But I think that all the time. If I were to write a high school you know, set comedy these days, I wouldn't even it's just so different from the world I grew up in. Oh yeah, I would have to like, you know, observe or something, because it would just it would make no sense to me.
Speaker 2: Well that's really I mean, you know, you say to yourself, I'm not old, and then you talk to high schoolers and you're like, oh no, I'm decrepit right right right, you know, because I went through this all the time, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well yeah, I mean you've seen years and years and years of students come through, and it would be interesting if there's some way to track that, you know, or I'm sure you can in your mind, but just behavior, I'm sure certainly cell phone behavior, just all the ways that it's just sort of evolved over time, Yeah, what you've observed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's interesting because because you know, I never seriously considered teaching K through twelve. You know, for me, when I planned again in teaching, I was like, well, I want to teach college, you know, And I think part of that was at least this perception that when you're teaching, it's certainly high school. It's like, as the teacher, you almost have to prove yourself to the kids, and I think college is just different. Mm.
Speaker 1: Sure, does that make sense totally?
Speaker 2: You know, but yeah, look, I mean I've been teaching for twenty years now, and so think about all the social and cultural change that's happened in that span.
Speaker 1: You know, it's funny. You can imagine like the funny montage version of it where it's just like, I mean, the version I'm picturing in my head because I'm picturing older stuff, is like, first it'd be you wearing like a headband and a flower power T shirt or something, and it's like the nineteen sixties and the seventies is like belt bottoms and a wide up, button up shirt. You know, like, yeah, it'd be kind of funny seeing the version of that that happened to you.
Speaker 2: Think about it this way. When I started teaching, Clueless was ten years old. Wow, Clueless was recent enough that I could make a reference to Clueless and they would they would understand.
Speaker 1: It, right, which, by the way, speaking of references, I mean, we can't do a commentary and Clueless and not say Coolio and Rolling with the Homies at least once. I love that that's their song Rolling with the Homies.
Speaker 2: So this right here, uh might be like the one time in the movie where it's most obvious that Cher is speaking with Amy Heckerling's voice, which part this like, uh, boys of my generation don't know how to dress. I'm like, okay, okay, old lady.
Speaker 1: That is hilarious.
Speaker 2: That is hilarious.
Speaker 1: And I mean, you know, it's one of those things where what's old is new again, right, I mean a nineties fashion has kind of come back.
Speaker 2: That all as ship's coming back.
Speaker 1: Really Uh yeah, oh you haven't. Well, maybe I'm wrong.
Speaker 2: I mean I'm not paying it to now now. I look, as soon as this guy walks in, I'm like, oh, he's as gay as the day is long.
Speaker 1: Isn't it hilarious?
Speaker 2: Though?
Speaker 1: But that's coming from us as adults. Like when I was fifteen, I'm always like what at the Twitter, I was just like share. I didn't get it. You know, it's funny too. I don't know if this was intentional or not. It feels like it must have been. And I read this somewhere. I didn't observe this. But when it's pushing in on him at the door, there's a news clipping that's posted on the wall that says on the road to nowhere as she's looking at him.
Speaker 2: Interesting, it's kind of funny, huh, but I but here we go another episode the Fallsburg guy and doesn't understand why he's not falling right back.
Speaker 1: And then, you know, keeping with the movie's kindness, she isn't like you're gay, what you you know or something. It's just like, oh, then he becomes a friend.
Speaker 2: But what nobody is like that? Which I right, like even even you.
Speaker 1: Know Faison's character, Yeah right, yeah.
Speaker 2: It's just like, no, he's like what does he call him a cake boy?
Speaker 1: Or yeah? Yeah, yeah, it's something like or maybe I'm miss Swingers or something like Dorothy friend of Dorothy or something.
Speaker 2: Friend of dor Right, But he's not like not using the F word for gay people and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: No, not at all. And it's not like you know what I mean, it's just like, yeah, you didn't.
Speaker 2: Know, Yeah, yeah, you know. I mean that for sure. And I think you and I can both both speak to this. I mean, there was rampant homophobia in high schools in the nineties.
Speaker 1: No, this was like very forward thinking, yes, in this moment, for sure. And even you know, I think back on that episode of The Simpsons, you know which Jo Yeah, yeah, like where I just as far as I was aware of. I mean, who knows how many gay people had in my life, But in that moment in time, yeah, like you said, it was like completely normal for people to use slurs and things just ingest with their friends, right, And so I didn't have a lot of exposure to it, and it probably made people like that feel like other that's right. But then you had a movie like this, which is treating him as just like, oh, well, this isn't going to work out between them, but obviously they have a chemistry of a sort, so that now they're friends, you know. And like I said, I was saying that that Simpson's episode where with John Waters where Homer, you know, at first can't see the John Waters character as anything other than a person he doesn't understand, you know. But then by the end, you know, he's trying. He basically as he's like, Okay, I'm gonna accept this person, He's like, what should I call you? What's the word you like to be called? And he's like, just call me by my name? I don't, you know, Like I don't, and you know, I'm just I'm a I'm a friend. You know, I can be your friend, which for me I probably at that time, was another sort of forward thinking, positive thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, I mean, like this is why it's a cliche at this point, this is why representation matters m M, because oftentimes, you know, these depictions are how we learn about other people exactly right. You know, I've I've I've lost count of how many times I've said to you how much you know a zee meant to me in Robin Hood? Yeah yeah, you know, but even even like sayid and lost and things like that, you know that that meant a lot for me, you know, totally totally.
Speaker 1: I mean, like the shorthand I always try to use when it comes up about people and differences is like the end of the day. We're all God's children, you know what I mean, We're all sharing the planet. We're all just you know, just trying to we all got to get by exactly. So I just chalk it up another point for this movie's uh forward thinking optimism.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, and and I think that's another way that it has it has remained timeless, you know, mm hmm. I think I think that helps, right, I mean that that's really the trick, right, because because you want to pepper in enough cultural references and whatever cultural markers that situated in a world that the audience watching it understands, But you also have to think a little bit in terms of but will will this detract from it when those references no longer have currency? And that's tricky, totally right, And I think, like, I think this movie works the same way that other movie ten years before this, Back to the Future, works, where it uses references as a way to situate us in the world of the film. But even even outside of knowing those references, were still able to understand what they mean to the characters.
Speaker 1: Right, totally, It is very funny that they made Christian this kind of rat packy kid, you know, Like again, I get it now sort of as a type.
Speaker 2: Well, if you remember back then, swing was having like a resurgence.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I'm and they're about to go watch the Mighty Money Bostones, you know, like with SKA but still yeah, horns, horns and rock and roll.
Speaker 2: But but there was there was like a four year window over there where everybody was super into swing.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, yeah, I guess yeah, right around this moment. I mean I remember for me where I lived. I mean, you watch swingers and it feels like it was really a part of at least socau culture, right. But I remember when there was that Gap commercial.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's right, yeah, and that like.
Speaker 1: Really kicked I feel like that kicked off, kicked it off for a lot of people, like, oh, this is a fun song, you know. And then all these sort of modern swing bands were coming out and they were played on alternative rock stations.
Speaker 2: Wow, geez right, you used to go swing dancing, dude.
Speaker 1: This is such an embarrassing story, but I know, because I don't have a lot of rhythm. But I was at a wedding once and this girl was like, Hey, do you want to dance? And I was like, I'm just letting you know, I can't. I can't dance, and she's like, anybody can dance, and she pulls me out on the floor and she's trying to do all this swing stuff, and then at one point she literally said, wow, you really can't dance. I was like, I know, and Randy, you know, ran away crime, but no, my friend's wedding. I'll never forget it.
Speaker 2: But yeah, you you broke her her spirit that day.
Speaker 1: One day.
Speaker 2: I used to believe that anybody she lost her faith in humanity. Turns out everybody couldn't dance. As she as she takes another shot, you know.
Speaker 1: Right, exactly another her tail.
Speaker 2: This is so funny where where Paul Rudd glances over and he just sees Christian is like keeps dancing with these guys, right, just oblivious is so funny.
Speaker 1: I'm clueless, perfect title. It's a bit, yeah, but it isn't that funny. It's not like it's called ditzy, right, it's just clueless. Clueless is innocent.
Speaker 2: That's such a good point. Yeah, that's such.
Speaker 1: A funny joke. Her falling down the stairs and like, oh nobody saw that, and that guy like, hey, you're right, that looked really bad. Yeah, this, you know, this takes me back a little bit. It would have been a little later, but I remember going to like smaller concerts like this, where it'd be like, you know, I'm kind of like ska esque, a beat sort of rock stuff. I haven't been anything like that in a long time. But they'd be like local things. I remember there was a record store that had an attic and they would have things kind of like this, or like churches, even like I remember churches would open up and you'd go see like a rock concert. And I remember going to see this band. I remember, I can't remember what they were called, but it was like small and everybody's mohing and pushing each other around. And then I remember the lead singer as this woman and she kind of you know, and then she like jumped into the crowd and she just shoved me. I was like, ah, I can pushed to the side. But it was like it was great, you know, it was all it was all fun. Look at Paul ruts is talking to the adult in the room.
Speaker 2: It is pretty funny, dude.
Speaker 1: Her waving with that funny face is like one of the funniest faces she makes in this movie.
Speaker 2: Hi.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I mean it's like, yeah, I so much more relate now to the Paul Rudd character. Just sort of like you go into the room full of kids and you're like, oh, here's the manager. I'll talk to the manager for a while.
Speaker 2: That is pretty funny.
Speaker 1: But this is such a sweet moment right where ties all alone. So then he dances with her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he dances just all goofy.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, he doesn't care. An idiot, he doesn't care, and he's probably having the most fun. And I love that shares, you know, the type of character who had noticed that and not be I think it's cringe. I think it's embarrassing. It's endearing to her.
Speaker 2: She likes it. Yeah. So I can't remember, did you say you saw this in the theater when it came out.
Speaker 1: I don't think I saw it in theaters, but I know I saw it like on VHS in the moment, okay, And then it was one of those things where you know, I'm almost embarrassed to say, like it feels so like whatever. But like back in the day, it was definitely like there were boy movies and there were girl movies. And I don't know if that's such a thing anymore. But like I kind of remember thinking that, like this felt like it could be a girl movie. And I don't know why I watch it, probably because at least a Silverstone is in it. Yeah, and those Aeros videos did a number on me. But then you watch it and this is just a movie for everybody. Yeah, you know, it's just a solid, feel good, well written movie, and it's just it's always kind of been there. And I remember been watching it on DVD and just whenever it's on TV, stopping on it. And then yeah, so I've seen this like a handful of times.
Speaker 2: Kind of a comfort food movie for you.
Speaker 1: Definitely, definitely, Yeah, Christians, like, hey, these guys. I was reading also for the character of Josh played by Paul Rudd that Ben Affleck and Zach Braff tried.
Speaker 2: Out for them for that char Zach Braff, there you go to see that we we missed out on that pairing.
Speaker 1: Who knows that pairing could have been a superpower even earlier.
Speaker 2: It was, but it was destined to happen. It's a cannon event exactly exactly, just the can got kicked down the curve. But it had to happen.
Speaker 1: Yes, I can see both versions of that, by the way, I absolutely can. But there's a just an inherent sweetness with Paul Rudd that you just can't He's he's perfect, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, I agree, because because if you think of Affleck, that's circa fashionable male m right, Malrat's Ben Affleck can't. I can't slot him into this, no, yeah, because he had kind of that douchey vibe.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, right, yeah, and I know I'm thinking of that character from All Rats, but for sure, because I mean he's yeah, there's like an edge to him, a very look.
Speaker 2: I like Ben Affleck as an actor. I think he's great, but I think he has matured into a great actor. I think you know, like you know what this would have been before Chasing Amy, right, yeah, yeah, Chasing Amy was like ninety seven, I think, and I mean watching Chasing Amy with about thirty years of hindsight, you're like, boy, he is a douche right, right, right, I mean that's the character that Kevin Smith wrote, but like you realize with much more clarity, like he is not a like or smart person, this guy that Ben Affleck plays, right, and he does a good job playing that yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's been a while. I'd be interested to revisit that.
Speaker 2: That that movie is a weird one man, because I would say, uh, you know, and we've had this conversation before, but but those the early indie movies of Kevin Smith. So I'll put mal Rest to one side. But Clerks and Chasing Amy, those were the types of things that certainly for me, I was like, hey, I could do this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh yeah, right, but.
Speaker 2: There is I think I think out of all of those, I think Clerks holds up the best in my opinion. Yeah, Chasing Amy does kind of make me cringe a little bit A few times. I've revisited it since.
Speaker 1: Yeah, i'd like to do that. I saw Dogma again recently.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how did that hold up for you?
Speaker 1: Pretty well? I think you know, it's uh yeah, I think for the most part, holds up pretty well. And you know, he's always so self deprecated about his direction, and I mean, you can critique it a little bit, but like, I don't know, that movie doesn't look too bad.
Speaker 2: The Shit Monster.
Speaker 1: But see that's like one of the sort of like okay, we'll give you that one because there are some fun sort of monologues and insights elsewhere, but you know, much funny by the way, I was clocking that moment with He's you know, she's waiting for Christian to call and you see the cell phone like the Monolith in two thousand and one, which is hilarious and it's funny because and even recently the Barbie movie, right, yeah, she's treated like the Monolith, and it just made me think, you know, I didn't know what that was when I first saw this movie, but then I get a little bit older, you watch two thousand and one, you see this and you go, oh, that's funny. That's really clever, and even just esthetically not understanding it, it's kind of funny. And it made me think. You know, writing on for children's television as much as I do, a lot of times you'll get a note that says kids won't get this, and I'm always like, yeah, but there were so many things on the shows I watched when I was growing up I didn't get and I was rewarded later in life for it. You know, when I finally saw Citizen Kane was like, oh, I think the Simpsons have recreated ninety percent of this movie, and I didn't realize it's really true, you know, and I'm really endeared. I love Citizen Kane because I do think it's a genuinely good movie. But I also feel strangely endeared to it because I was exposed to it in so many ways when I was a kid without realizing it.
Speaker 2: You know, what I would love is for somebody to cut together a chronological version of Citizen Kane using only all the different Simpsons references.
Speaker 1: That would be amazing, right, yeah, yeah, I mean so all I'm saying, though, I think there's value in it. I think if it pleases the creative, you know, the creator of the thing, great. It can work as just a funny, surface level joke. Great. And then also, so what they don't get it, they will, and they're gonna like appreciate you for it.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I'll go back to the thing we've talked. We've mentioned it a few times. A haircut. You can set your watch too. Yes, it turns out it's a it's a reference to nothing, as we found out, But it doesn't matter because it's funny, and you internalize it as a kid, you weren't like, well what does that mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah? And then you know what now I may may put it in something and now it is a reference exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, I I agree, I mean that there. I don't think we give kids enough credit in that regard because because they'll still be able to think something, you know, using another Simpsons joke, the street car named Marge, right, the whole well, geez, that whole episode, right, but the Great Escape parody, Yes, well, it's no less funny not having seen.
Speaker 1: The Great Escape.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's just funnier once you have.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Oh, and then that moment with the birds right where Homewerk gomes in there to get Maggie and all the kids have been released, and it's like the scene from The Birds where they have to walk slowly and in fear with all the birds around them. As a kid, I knew it had to be referencing something, but I didn't know what it was, and it was just freaking hilarious on its own.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: By the way, we missed a very important line, maybe the most important line in the entire movie, during one of the sweetest scenes where Cher's letting her hair down literally and she's hanging out with you know, Paul Rudd late at night and they're just chilling on the couch and he says something about like, oh, you don't want to be seen hanging out with your brother, and chery goes, you are not my brother. Very important.
Speaker 2: She turns to the camera. Everybody got that, exactly, exactly?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, this is kind of a sweet thing too, like everything thus far has kind of worked out for her, and so seeing her being ambitious for herself and things not going her way, it's kind of a different angle we get.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she plays on the road.
Speaker 1: Yeah. By the way, I wanted to point out also when they're having that conversation about the breadstick and the penises, I read that that was written in the script to take place at California Pizza Kitchen. But the CEO didn't love that, talking about their breadsticks looking like penises. But I thought i'd bring it up because anytime you and I get together, we always go to at least once to California Pizza Kitchen.
Speaker 2: Well, it's funny that you say that, because them just for whatever reason, I got a CPK vibe.
Speaker 1: Oh did you really?
Speaker 2: Isn't that funny? Yeah?
Speaker 1: So well, there you go. She she got with the director, got.
Speaker 2: What she wanted. Ultimately, she did yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Here he's basically laughing at her, at her exactly, Yeah, like aget, how clueless she.
Speaker 2: Is, oscar wild reading right right right streisand ticket holding.
Speaker 1: He's so man. I don't understand why he doesn't pop up in more things. He's just such a really enjoyable presence.
Speaker 2: But he was just wasn't He was just on a show with John Cryer.
Speaker 1: Oh don't I know it. I went to a taping of that.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, yeah, and I don't I think that show's done right, I don't think yes, But they're bringing back scrubs as of this recording.
Speaker 1: Oh well there you go. Yeah, which hilarious. By the way. The freeway thing, it's just just screaming.
Speaker 2: I so relate to fear of the highway, yeah, because that was definitely a thing for me when I first started dry. I mean, no matter what, I wanted to stay off the highway.
Speaker 1: Yeah. You know what's funny. My brother in law, he is from New York, and he, I mean, he's I'd be afraid to drive New York, you know, But when he was out in LA he was afraid of yeah, the freeway, and he didn't want to merge and he would always have me drive, and I was it just didn't occur to me. It's completely understandable. By the way I mean is it's a whole skill set.
Speaker 2: LA highways are to be fair, you know, something else entirely.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean, and in a way I feel well, actually, I was just in Oklahoma visiting my parents, and my mom doesn't like driving me on the freeway even there. But for me, I was like, oh my gosh, this is like bike But so in a way, I'm kind of glad I've been conditioned a little bit, you know, yeah, so everything else feels easy. By the way, this is the west Side Pavilion Fashion Square shopping mall, which is a couple of blocks from where I live.
Speaker 2: Have I been here probably yeah, But.
Speaker 1: Seeing it now, I'm like, oh wait, yeah, I recognize that those like awkwardly placed escalators and you have to walk like all this distance just to go back upstairs.
Speaker 2: I think this is the most dated part of the movie. Is a mall full of people, and.
Speaker 1: I know, well, yeah, they referenced the Galleria earlier, which just man, that was just the pinnacle of mall culture, wasn't it. That was like the Mecca of yeah, seemingly back in the day, which is sad because it used to be this indoor mall and it was it's in fast times and all sorts of things Commando yeah, oh sure, reference and Terminator two. But it's been remodeled. Now it's an outdoor mall. And unfortunately, I mean, aside from like a cheesecake factory in the movie theater that I go to, there's not much else that's depressing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's funny. I think it's because of Commando. I saw Commando at a formative age, and as a result, every time I would go into any mall, I would be like mentally plotting out action sequences.
Speaker 1: Oh dude, absolutely right, Yeah, dude, I had a script. I probably shouldn't imagine you share it. But like it was back in the day, it was literally supposed to be die Hard in a mall with the mall security. Okay, but it was just like I loved malls. I loved I thought they were very cinematic because you have all the different stores with little different worlds that you can step into, right, you know. But yeah, now malls just I don't know, just they're empty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's unnerving. Yeah, yeah, I should say. Actually, just last time I was in Chicago, I made a ceremonial trip to the location of what used to be Stratford Square.
Speaker 1: Yeap, it are mall, the mall of our youth.
Speaker 2: Returned to the earth from whence it came.
Speaker 1: Oh so sad.
Speaker 2: It no longer exists.
Speaker 1: But speaking of getting older, as we've been referencing a lot, if I've learned anything, it's that nothing lasts forever.
Speaker 2: Man, that is true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, your favorite restaurant shuts down, the mall you you grew up going to gets leveled. Just the way of things.
Speaker 2: It's the way of things. So I I want to say, I think for me this plot thread of like Share feeling jealous of Tie getting all the attention that that that's the only slightly sour note for me, Like, it doesn't it doesn't ring true to the way either of these characters have been depicted to me.
Speaker 1: Yes, yep, for Tie having this kind of turn, Yeah, is that what you mean? He sort of like we're.
Speaker 2: Shit and and even Share being jealous. You know, it feels off somehow to me.
Speaker 1: Sure, I do like it.
Speaker 2: It feels like a necessary plot complication. Yes, because because you know, we're we're however, you know, we're we're an hour and ten in and it's like, oh, we need to like, you know, kind of shake up the edges sketch a little bit. But it feels like, oh, we need to introduce something so that we have something to resolve totally, you know.
Speaker 1: Totally Yeah, No, I hear you, right, because because.
Speaker 2: The inciting incident feels like it comes out of nowhere, which is those jam mosses, Yeah, at the mall trying to throw over, and then the way in which everybody's like, oh my gosh, you almost died and she becomes a celebrity. None of that reads real to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I I hear you. I it does feel like I'm going back to it. And I don't mean this in a bad way, but kind of sit commy, Yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: What I mean. Yeah, it feels like, oh, this is this episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, But yeah, I agree with you. I mean, obviously, at this point, just structurally, she needs to be thrown and feel like she's losing everything so she can use what she's learned along the way to win everything back.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: But oh, by the way, Red wearing that Kansas University of Kansas hat, which kind doesn't make sense because he doesn't go to college there in the film, but Paul Rudd went to the University of Kansas.
Speaker 2: Nah, see there you go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but no, yeah, I hear you, but it is It is kind of fun watching her version of feeling thrown since she's so confident, like even this, like she's so her body language, her face, like no one else could have made that role as endearing as silver Stone did. Yeah, it's so funy. The driving instructor was.
Speaker 2: This like your road test when you when you got your license? Thank goodness, Now did you pass it on your first try?
Speaker 1: I did. I have a very embarrassing story, though, I because she's so adorable. I did. Yeah, I passed. And then I came back and I met my mom at the TV and we were walking and I saw a girl from school, and I was like, we did it, you know, because you're feeling such relief. And as we walked away, and my Mom's like, Brian, I don't think she passed, but I just wasn't clocking her body language, her.
Speaker 2: Body yeah, And I was like, oh no, that's funny.
Speaker 1: I think about that to this day. I feel somethhing. But thank goodness. You know on TV it's always you got to do the parallel parking right right, And I didn't have to do that. I had to back around a corner. Okay, right, so you reverse around a corner without bumping the curb.
Speaker 2: Which is yeah, I had to do that too.
Speaker 1: Is that interesting?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I mean I can imagine out here you do so much. Speaking for where I live, so cal but there's so much parallel parking. You definitely should be a part of the test. But I guess just where we grew up, they figured it didn't matter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and are you how did you do? I failed my first time?
Speaker 1: Oh really? What what was it?
Speaker 2: So? I this was the DMV in in Schomberg, next to where there used to be that tower records. Do you remember? I do off off of Higgins or golf or whatever. So so I took I I went, and I did very well. Like you know, we drove around the back roads. Everything, everything was fine, and it was literally the instructor was like, all right, just just turn in here and and uh park and we'll get you your license. Oh no, And I'm like okay, And so I look back to change things and it was like a winding road. And I looked back, like a split second too long, and I and I looked back, and and I wind up on an island, you know. And and according to this is how my brother describes it, because he was there waiting for me, yeah, he says. He says that he was waiting outside he saw the car coming up, and he's like, oh, like I made it. And so he turns around and he starts walking in and he hears this loud thought and he turns around and he just sees my hubcap rolling away.
Speaker 1: Oh no, I'm.
Speaker 2: On this island. And I look over at the instructor and my hand to god. She goes, well, never mind, and she tears the thing. No, dude, that sounds like out of a teen movie. This is absolutely true. She's like, well, back up, let's get you back in. So as I'm backing up again, not making this up, I'm backing up and red behind me. There was a cop. No, and he gets out and he's like, can I see your license? And the instructor goes he's trying to get one, dude.
Speaker 1: This is out of like a sitcom. This is insane.
Speaker 2: Every word of that is true.
Speaker 1: It kind of reminds me of like something about Mary, where everything's going wrong for Stiller in that bathroom and then there's like the dad at the door, and then there's a fire chief, like what's going on in ear just compounding like how terrible you feel?
Speaker 2: It was a cascade. Yeah, so that was attempt to number one, and then a week, a week or so whatever the you have to wait a certain amount of time. I went back with my dad and I got it that.
Speaker 1: Oh good, Well, I'm glad you could do it so quickly.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh man, I remember that was like the biggest deal in the world. I thought like life couldn't begin until I had my license.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's weird, you know, because you know, my oldest he's got his license and he drives all the time. My second one he got his permit, but he's been in like no hurry to do his practice, and he just he's like whatever, I've heard that.
Speaker 1: Wait, is he like whatever? Did he make mcaw overs for it?
Speaker 2: He's very amber.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I've heard that. It's very interesting to me because it's just so opposite of what it was like for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think maybe he sees how his older brother is like Aaron guy, and he's like, I don't want to deal with that shit. Yeah, sure, I'd rather I'd rather be be driven, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But by the way, this conversation, this friction feels a little bit more organic, Yeah, with the bringing the brother into yeah, like because clearly she's kind of harboring feelings for him but a little confused about like making sense of them and saying he's not right for Tie, and Tie taking offense to that, like also he's not good enough for me, and yeah, this this feels I think well done. I also think it's kind of a sweet moment where she's got that shoe box full of things and you know, letting go and throwing them into the fireplace, right, and it just feels like, yeah, I used to have like a shoebox that stuff. Like she's got these funny little things like oh, this was a towel that he handed me the head ice in it, Like you know, you used to have these little totems that yeah, like that that you would cling to. Is ro Deo Drive speaking a pretty woman.
Speaker 2: Earlier, weren't we here when we went to that awards show.
Speaker 1: Yes at the hotel across the street. I think, yeah, wow, Yeah, it.
Speaker 2: Was a couple of years back. It was the Hollywood Critics Association. We went to that award ceremony.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's great. It's a great, great venue. I mean it's a obviously, it's a really nice area. By the way, I got a swanky very well. You just got to point out this house real quick, this sort of storybook witch looking house which is in Beverly Hills. And I was curious about it because I've driven past it, but because we were doing this commentary, I was like.
Speaker 2: What is that?
Speaker 1: So basically it was it was designed by a Hollywood art director, Harry Oliver in nineteen twenty one as an office at a Silent film studio, and then it was eventually moved and restored and became like a house. Wow, and it just sticks out like it just like this like snow white looking sort of house in the middle of this Beverly Hills.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Love this.
Speaker 1: I love Josh.
Speaker 2: I know, it's a perfect shot.
Speaker 1: It's great that fountain. Also just two quick rodeo stories. So I've whenever I have friends and family, this is kind of sweet because you do it is like a little bit you have to be like, okay, wait, no, no, they're not related. They're not related. But they do this little montage and you're like, oh, they are kind of cute together. And then this where she's immediately can't even sit comfortably next to him, like she is so great in this this role, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's tough. It's tough to pull off, you know. Yeah, although you have to say, I mean, Paul Rudd circa clueless. And then what was it? Object of my affection? He had a little bit of manic pixie dream boy energy. Oh sure, right, sure he was. He was the trope.
Speaker 1: She's watching the news. I thought they declared peace in the Middle East. Okay, okay, So I have to tell this rodeo drive story. So I brought my parents there just to walk around and see it, and we went. I was like, let's go in a shop. I don't know, I've never been in. Let's see what it is. So my mom was like, well, the purse is kind of cute. So immediately it was the opposite of pretty woman. They like, couldn't like be more interested in us, And they were like, oh, so this this person whatever you know, this I don't remember how much it costs. But it was like, you know, a couple thousand dollars or something here, you know what, let me go back and I'll go. I'll fish went out for you. And so the salesperson leaves to go into the back and my mom turns to me and whispers help. I was like, we have to go.
Speaker 2: So did you leave before the clerk came back out? No.
Speaker 1: I think we were nice about it, but she she couldn't have been nicer. So it wasn't a.
Speaker 2: Couple of grand for a purse?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I mean, yeah, the right bag, Zachie. You know, you could be talking who knows.
Speaker 2: See you know this? So this is this is you know what I've always been like a like a T shirt and jeans kind of person, you know, And I'm like, I'll just go to Target and get some jeans. That's always been me, you know. And so you know, now I got these kids who are who are all into you know, name brand things and whatever. And you know the problem is that the barriers to getting this stuff have decreased. Right Like when we were kids, well, you know, it took a while for us to get credit cards, and even then we started like you know, we were conscious of the money we were spending, right, Yeah. But what I have with these kids is, you know, they're just like, oh, just give me, you know, Oh, let me get on Amazon on my mom's phone and I'll just order this thing right, you know, and it's like I'll pay you back. And I'm like, first of all, they never do. And what I never thought I would say as often as I do, are we the Rockefellers. And I didn't know that's a sentence I didn't realize would be recurring.
Speaker 1: That's hilarious. Yeah. I wish I could remember the actress because I would make this story way way better. But I remember recently seeing some actress being interviewed and she'd had some sort of like name, you know, designer bag, and someone called it out and she went, oh, this is fake. And I kind of admired her for doing that, you know, like not trying to create some illusion that like, oh, everything I own is this and if you want to be like me or feel like you fit in and you know, whatever world do you think I exist in? And just for her to be so honest, like, oh, it's not real and this isn't real, that's good yeah, I just can't remember who that was. But by the way I did again, this is I love this this moment here where Scha is feeling dejected, she has that heart to heart with her dad. Of course he's been gruff through all throughout all this, but he shows a real tenderness there and a real belief in his daughter, you know, being like, you know, you're smart, like you figure this out, like you're capable. I believe in you, and like do the thing you do best. And when I like when she's doing that. They have this moment where it shows her with all of her friends and that she's wise enough to learn from them, you know, and she's like, I can learn games from Christian, I can learn things from you know, uh Dion and her boyfriend when when they don't think anyone's looking, the way that they treat one another, There's there's something to be taken from that.
Speaker 2: Elton just takes what he wants, he doesn't care. I can learn that too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you know what I'm saying, Like, I just feel like there's a real That's what makes elevates this movie, I agree, from just being kind of a superficial romp, there's like a real yeah.
Speaker 2: It hell, it's like I said, right, Other than that one moment where Amy Heckerling is like, I don't know about these young people and the clothes, for the most part, it honors the point of view of you know, younger young people and gives them the courtesy of not assuming they're stupid.
Speaker 1: You know, totally yeah, you know something I don't. I've never read Emma, but my mom did a little while back, and so I was asking her. I was like, tell me about it because I'm kind of curious because I know this movie so well and it was incredible how one to one so much of it is and I mean plot points, characters, and so I was kind of curious about the Christian character. And I guess in the book, what's his name, Frank Frank Churchill, And it's basically he's not available to Emma because he is secretly engaged I see. So there is like surface level flirting and that sort of thing, but it's something that's not meant to be. And so I just you know, this modern reinterpretation with him being gay, like it's just right. It's just very clever. I mean, they really I love that it wears it on its sleeve. It's not like inspired by Emma, but we're gonna try to tweak it or whatever. It's like, No, this is it was like Emma in nineteen ninety five, right, right, and still very much its own thing.
Speaker 2: Now that when did the movie? When did the Emma movie with the Gwyneth Paltrow? When did that come out?
Speaker 1: That came out? I want to say one year later, I see, And I remember reading somewhere that Gwyneth Paltrow got very annoyed that clueless kept coming up when she was talking about it, or like, you know, like I got impressed for it. But you know, and that's funny because I know there's also an Anya Taylor Joy one, and there's you know, there's a handful of MF Yeah that more recent, right, I'd be kind of curious. I remember I DVRD that one once because I was just curious to see the original story and see if. For me it was like, oh, this reminds me of Tie and Share and right, this is sweet. Now she's out supporting Tie, out supporting the boys she always kind of felt naturally drawn to and his interests the skateboard.
Speaker 2: They were meant to be Cravis Birkinstock and tie, you know, and I love.
Speaker 1: When they first meet and I think she's, uh, she like draws on Marvin the Martian really well, and he's like, oh, that's really cool. Could you draw that from me? Doesn't that not such like a high school conversation very much? So? Yeah, right, it's just so that actually makes me think it's so well observed. Maybe that's something Heckerling noticed when she was sitting in on a classroom because I remember that like kids would be because you you would know like you were really you are a very good artist. And I'm sure your folders were covered and things like that, and people were probably like, hey, man, can you draw like a Bart Simpson for me?
Speaker 2: Yeah? That was my ind socially, you know, Yeah, I remember, I remember I used to draw tiny Tunes characters.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Sure, this is like Fall of ninety two, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that's so funny. Oh I had this trivia written down, but I'd kind of missed it. But when shares all depressed walking around Beverly Hills and all by my myself is playing, It's sung by Jewel okay, before she had broken out, I thought that was kind of interesting.
Speaker 2: Is that right, like, when when did Jewel? It all blurs together now when did when did she? When did she break breakout?
Speaker 1: I think her album might have just come out at the same time, but her Who Will Save Your Soul had not charted yet.
Speaker 2: Okay, so it happened to Jewel. She's still around.
Speaker 1: I feel like, yeah, here you go, this is the one dick, this guy in the universe. Yeah, on the other hand, he's an asshole and he's behaving like an asshole. He's treating them very badly. But if you were him and you had all this work to get done, you know, like you're watching the people who are like helping just kind of flat with each other, you can kind of imagine, like I don't want to be here at ten at night at my boss's house.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I also wouldn't be belittling my boss's daughter, right, No.
Speaker 1: No, no, don't get me wrong. He's doing it entirely the wrong way. He calls her a moron, which.
Speaker 2: Is yeah, yeah, I like that. There there's a way to express your displeasure without being a total dick about it.
Speaker 1: I completely agree. Script wise is perfect because it gives rudding in to go up and comfort it but uh, and also I love seeing him stand up for her, yeah, you know, going to bat for her, like we are saying what a great character is because we spend so much time with her. But in this world, you could imagine people thinking of her n she's superficial and all the things, but and not knowing her deeper intelligence. But Rudd sees it.
Speaker 2: You know, the thing about Paul Rudd, you realize just how effortlessly charming he is, right, like, yeah, because obviously you know he's good in this and and you know whatever rom coms he did shortly after, but like you remember when he was on Friends as as Phoebe's husband, and you're like, man, that he was just playing himself right right, you know, because because we see him on all his conan appearances and you're like, this guy is just he's comfortable in his skin mm hmm. And he's just a very charming, funny guy, you know.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: And so it's it's cool to kind of see the moment of birth so to speak, you know, like totally, you know, because he had been in other stuff. He was in one of the Halloween movies before this, he was in that Super Nintendo commercial. Yeah, sure, all right, but like from clueless to now thirty years, it's never stopped for him.
Speaker 1: What I love because watching this, I mean I just even looking at him and he's like very dreamy looking, like you can see him being this heart throb guy. That's his his lane or his trajectory. But then smoldering, Yeah, like really smoldering, but like approachable, nice guy. Yeah, you know, but then he's an anchorman and you're likely crap. That guy's hilarious, Like.
Speaker 2: He said, well, that's that's that's his that's his real lane.
Speaker 1: Yes, and then before that, to be fair, he was in wet, hot American summer, right, yeah, yeah, exactly, letting that weird alternative humor flag fly. But it's just cool that he got opened up and was able to do all of it and eventually become a superhero.
Speaker 2: Become a superhero and and playing I would offer probably the best superhero for him to play.
Speaker 1: Totally perfect. Yeah, this is sweet. See I buy this, Like I don't know, I don't want to think about the details, but like, you know, like how.
Speaker 2: Do you explain this to the parents though, is my question? I know, I know that's gotta be a weird conversation to have very much, especially.
Speaker 1: With Dan Hdea. Repeat that back to me and make it make sense.
Speaker 2: That's right, Get out of my chair. Yeah, this is funny where she's like, this isn't Kentucky, you know, I think it's it's it's their wedding, their wedding, Yeah, inconceivable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is nice. I think Heckerling has a cameo here somewhere when the bouquet is thrown aw ties with brecking mere.
Speaker 2: So so what's Rudd's what's the Josh's mom character saying, Oh, I don't know. Yeah, I was trying to read her lips.
Speaker 1: Oh interesting. I wonder if it was like they had something and they cut it. That was my thought, you know, yeah, like is she happy that they're together?
Speaker 2: Is she? You know right?
Speaker 1: Right? That could accidentally introduce a little unpleasantness, right, like if it's like there's a contentious relationship.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, we just need we just need to photoshop JD into that scene with.
Speaker 1: Almost like an obi Wan ghost. You know, you just see Faison like what's he looking at off screen? And he just gets I was seeing like Walter Payton super Bowl shuffle. Yes, yes, So where's were she I thought I of tours the back. I think I think she's the one that like really wrestles for it. Let's see, it's kind of a chaotic. It's kind of hard to see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's see.
Speaker 1: Huh, Yeah, I don't really there.
Speaker 2: Well, you gotta you gotta throw some elbows for that bouquet, Brian.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right, that's right, that's how it goes. Have you ever caught like a garter or anything at a wedding?
Speaker 2: I have not. Yeah, I don't. Well, I don't bother. I mean, why would I write I'm.
Speaker 1: Already Yeah, I guess I feel like an old matter.
Speaker 2: I think my wife might get upset.
Speaker 1: But ah, this is great. Hey you put it well, this is a real comfort food movie for me. So I I loved watching this. Again. Well, Bill Pope, director of photography.
Speaker 2: You know, didn't he do the crow?
Speaker 1: I may have. Oh, Adam Schroeder I used to work with that guy too, he's a producer on this. It's kind of interesting, like watching these movies before I moved out here and seeing people that I would eventually come to know. It's kind of a strange thing. But yeah, I'm really glad that you got to revisit this, and I hope you enjoyed it. I hope it held up for you.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I mean it's it's it goes down easy, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And this soundtrack too, I feel like we had this like the CD or something, so like all these songs.
Speaker 2: Oh this is this is like the quick essential nineties mix.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. It's so funny because even watching this, I'm like conditioned to think, like, Okay, is there like a little beat in the middle of these credits. It's going to stop and have an ex right, Yeah, I mean obviously that's been around for a long time with John Hughes movies in the eighties, but now it's just like every movie. You know, Marvel really conditioned us to expect it seriously.
Speaker 2: So okay, So I was thinking of the Crow, but it was it was dark Man that I was thinking. You.
Speaker 1: Oh, interesting, Yeah. He said he did Team America, the Matrix, Yeah.
Speaker 2: The Matrix movies. Yeah yeah, yeah. His his presence was missed in the latest Matrix movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I agree with that, you know, and brought something unique, although I mean I don't associate Clueless with his style of cinematography.
Speaker 1: So that's isn't that cool, Like it's like a tool in his toolbox, you know, he's like not just moody, you know, action film guy.
Speaker 2: Right, So thoughts on clueless thirty years later.
Speaker 1: I mean, I've I've already watched this once this year, and I enjoyed watching it again. It's just so rewatchable and optimistic and fun and it makes you laugh and I love it. I love it you.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think the test of a movie like this is that obviously you enjoyed in the moment, but when you revisit it with the distance of decade, which certainly is the case for me because the last time I saw it was before I got married, so I've never watched it with Dominete, right, And she was telling me like she she remembers watching it in the theater. Oh wow, you know, which which makes sense because I mean she's the same age. She was the same age as share the character. Sure yea in the movie when it came out, you know, so uh definitely plugged in on that level again. I was. I was surprised at how much I misremembered, like I you know, I I remembered it being more coarse. Oh interesting, you know, in terms of like the edges were a little harder, and I appreciated that. No, it has actually a very nice heart, you know, and I and I think that's the reason that that that this movie has lived on to whatever extent it has. I like, I don't I don't know if it's if it's an evergreen in the same way that that you know, the Breakfast Club is or something. M hm. But but I definitely think that I think I think anybody from any era can just plug into it without too much you know, throat.
Speaker 1: Clearing totally, you know, totally. Yeah, Well it's interesting. I mean you said your your daughter found her way in you know, yeah, that's right, was enjoying it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that that was definitely something for me. I mean she's eight, so I was like, okay, you know, she's she's she's getting the important stuff, you know. I am curious about this sequel series that they're working on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm aware of it. I know nothing about it.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean they as of this recording, they only announced it a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 1: Okay, because I know there's also a musical, right that's happening right now.
Speaker 2: There is a musical, but this is this is a via Peacock. Okay, okay, all right, and I'm this is I'm reading this from from L. The L website says from your subscription from Yeah, of course, how else are you gonna how access this important information? Uh? Alisa Silverstone, Alisa Donovan, Breckenmeyer, Amy Heckerling, as well as costume designer Mona main casting director Marsha Ross celebrity of the film's thirty the anniversary. In an interview with people at the event, Silverstone said she can reveal nothing about the TV sequel, but Heckerling admitted she's thrilled to death it is happening. But Silverstone was asked if she ever thought she'd play, if she'd ever play share again. She replied, I didn't, and then I did it for the Super Bowl. M Was there a Super Bowl commercial?
Speaker 1: Yeah, they recreated the debate scene from the club.
Speaker 2: Okay, there you go. Yeah, so that's an interesting one. You know, I I'm down. You know, it's she is coming back or she she? She says she never thought she would, but then after having done the Super Bowl ad, she's she's now more you know, more open to it.
Speaker 1: You know, I mean, these things are always risky.
Speaker 2: That's that's my thought. I will say that. I mean, I mean, Alicia Silverstone is still great, and I'd love to see what Share is up to thirty years later. Yeah, and you know, you bring enough of those those original pieces back, I'd be curious. I think by by by definition, it would have to be about like the next generation of characters totally, and that makes me less interested.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's part of me that doesn't want to see what happened to Share, Like I'd rather be in my imagination than literally.
Speaker 2: Know, Like like I don't, I don't want you know, you know, her daughter Sabrina Carpenter and Share pops up occasionally or whatever, you.
Speaker 1: Know, Yeah, no one pc. Yeah. And then also we were talking to this movie's unique tone. Yeah, what an incredible like I don't know what you even call it, like just heightened reality but not that heightened And like, so, what what does the show do now as they try to be a little outside of reality or what is that even? What's that version in twenty twenty five? I don't know. Yeah, but then again, I'm in some ways many ways, I'm sure it's just not meant for me. So maybe it's you know, maybe get your daughter.
Speaker 2: Right exactly, so I'd be very curious what she would end up thinking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and one more thing I wanted to mention as long as we're talking about Ammy Heckerling, but like she also did the look Who's Talking movies, which is yes, that's right right. I just thought that was worth mentioning because it feels like those are kind of forgotten these days. Yeah, but those were huge, well at least the first two were the first two well yeah, yeah, but uh, you know, so she she had a really interesting career.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, what's she done lately?
Speaker 1: I think it's a lot of TV directing, Ok, Suburgatory, Gossip Girl. Yeah, she did well, just going through it real quick. So she did Fast Times at Richmond High, a move called Johnny Dangerously, which I've never scene with Michael Keaton. Yeah yeah, European Vacation, Look Who's talking? Clueless? And then like Loser with Jason Biggs, which I remember. Yeah, and then it kind of yeah, like she was able to do her thing, but they just weren't hitting I could never be your Woman, which is Michelle Pfeiffer Paul Road again. And then is a movie called vamps.
Speaker 2: Ill like vaguely remember that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think Alicia's Silverstone's in that. And it's about these not teenagers but young vampires. Okay, and then it's kind of a lot of TV stuff, but I mean, man, she had a lot of cultural touchstones. Yeah, and clearly is a great writer. So you know who knows. I'm rooting for the show.
Speaker 2: I hope it's good. Yeah, but that wraps up our thoughts on Clueless, but hey, let us know your thoughts on our thoughts. You can email us at Moviefilm Podcast at gmail dot com. You can also hit like on our Facebook page Facebook dot com slash movie Film Podcast and message us there. As always, please go to Apple Podcasts and leave a review, leave a star rating. Do this at Spotify and hey, if you're listening to this on YouTube, please hit like and go ahead and subscribe if you can. We also have a Patreon page, Brian.
Speaker 1: That's right, if you head over to patreon dot com slash Moviefilm podcast and hit subscribe for only five dollars a month to find every commentary we've ever done, and there's over one hundred and thirty of them. I just looked amazing, right, and every episode moving forward absolutely ad free. Our free feed will always be available, but this is our way of providing what we believe is the most satisfying way to enjoy the show without ads and eruptions. Plus, your subscription goes a long way and helping to support us and helping to sustain producing the show. So if you're interested in able, please head over to patreon dot com slash MOVIEFILM podcast and subscribe. We'd be very grateful.
Speaker 2: There you go, And if you're looking for me online, you can find me on social media at Zachie's corner. That's the AKIS Corner. You can also remain reviews at the San fran Chronicle and also at IGN and the Rep Brian What About You.
Speaker 1: You can find episodes I've written of Young Jedi Adventures streaming on Disney.
Speaker 2: Plus and also Puppy Dog Pials and Puppy Dog Pills. Yeah, well, we are no longer clueless having finished this commentary trend, but we'll be back soon with our next regular show as well as our next commentary. So thank you everybody for listening. We will catch you next time.