Speaker 1: Hello everyone, and welcome to Talk Nerdy. Today is Monday, March tenth, twenty twenty five, and I'm the host of the show, Doctor Kara Santa Maria. I am just getting over COVID, so I'm a little bit sniffy. I apologize if you can hear it in my voice, that is why. But I'm feeling much much better. I'm finally testing negative. I have emerged into the world again after many, many days of being trapped inside of my house. So I am appreciative of that. I'm appreciative that I've gotten better, and I'm appreciative that my infection was not too bad due to the wonder of vaccines. Thank you science. Before we get into this week's episode, I do want to thank those of you who make Talk Nerdy possible. Remember, this show is and will always be one hundred percent free to download, and we keep it going due to the support from individuals just like you. If you would like to pledge your support on an episodic basis, all you've got to do is visit Patreon dot com slash talk Nerdy. I highly recommend using the browser based version of the website instead of subscribing through an app. On your phone. I'm not going to say who, but one of the big phone manufacturers who has their own app store has decided to take a whopping cut every time you do that. So you can get around that by just subscribing through the website version. All right. This week's top patrons include Anubadavaje, Daniel Lang, David J. E. Smith, Mary Neiva, Brian Holden, David Compton, Gabriel F. Harmio, Joe Wilkinson, Joseph Lemore, Pasquale, ge Latti, Rica Mahraj and Ulrika Hagman. Thank you all so so very much. All right, let's get into it. So this week I had the opportunity to speak with doctor Lauren E. Oakes. She's a conservation scientist and of course a science writer. She's held various appointments at Stanford University over many many years as a researcher, a lecturer, and an adjunct assistant professor in the Department of Earth System Science. Her previous book was called In Search of the Canary Tree, and she has a new book out called tree Keepers, The Race for a Forested Future. So, without any further ado here she is doctor Lauren eos Well Lauren, thank you so much for joining me today.
Speaker 2: It's a pleasure to be here. Thank you.
Speaker 1: So I am really excited to talk about your new book, Tree Keepers, the Race for a Forested Future. But as always on talk nerdy Before we dive into the content of this book and some of the kind of I don't know, debunking some mythology and things like that, I would love to learn a little bit more about you and how you came to write this book. So, you know, reading different bios of you on the internet, sometimes you're sort of referred to as a conservation scientist. Sometimes you're referred to as an ecologists. Like what did you study in school?
Speaker 2: What are you? Yeah? Yeah, the language kind of morphs, you know. But my training I was in the interdisciplinary Environmental science program at Stanford. I received my PhD there.
Speaker 1: Well, that makes sense. Then it was interdisciplinary, so of course.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but we did have what they call fields of depth, so mine where ecology and land change science, mainly in forest ecology, looking at how forests are impacted by climate change, how forests respond, and species that regenerate in the wake of forest mortality. I can tell you a little bit about that, and then I have also done a lot of research and land change science, so looking at land use, land change, drivers of land use and land change. You know, that's really thinking about the relationship between people and how our landucio systems are managed.
Speaker 1: So interesting. I don't think I've ever heard that label before land change science. And so is it is it historical, is it future oriented or do you kind of look at both what has happened in the past to inform how to make decisions about the future.
Speaker 2: Well, land change scientists again draw from a number of disciplines, but are really looking at the drivers of land use change, and they may be focusing on biophysical changes. So a land change scientist could be a geographer who's working a lot with remotely remotely sensed data to look at Okay, here's point A or time period A, and this was what the landscape looked like. And here's time period B, and now it's forest was cleared or there's a new development here, or something is changed in this landscape. And then usually there's a level of research to look at, you know, what happened in that place, whether it's social science to assess, you know, what was happening in the communities or policy. Maybe there's a larger policy in the area that's helping drive some land use change. But yeah, it's inter disciplinary field and you know, has been around for a number of years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and obviously that training and that interest area heavily informs your writing, and especially this book that we're going to focus on a little bit more. Not that we have to you know, focus on it the whole interview, but I'm curious just so that we do you have like operational definitions early on And this is my ignorance here when as a land change scientist, when you talk about you know, transformation of the landscape, do you make a differentiation between like intentional impacts and unintentional impacts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my focus has largely been in forest ecosystems, as you know, but our species relationships are constantly evolving and forests are always changing. So there are you know, changes in flux that may be naturally occurring. But then there are the drivers you know, or of our human footprint and in you know, recent years, this age of anthroposceine, those changes may be contributed to maybe attributed to climate change, or they may be attributed to you know, direct land conversion. When you get a development in an area or a clearing of a forest. A lot of people in my lab group when I was at Stanford were focusing on, you know, kind of the hot spots of deforestation, looking at a lot of forest degradation in the Amazon in Kungo, trying to figure out what are effective ways to manage those lands better. And so you opened with the question of am I a conservation scientist, you know, and really a conservation scientist has the goal of, you know, sustaining a functioning natural world. And so yes, I would say, you know, I am a conservation scientist as well. You know, my interest is you know, as a researcher and really more as a practitioner. I've worked a lot with local organizations that are experiencing changes in their area as a result of climate change or as a result of development, and they're thinking about, you know, how do we manage these systems better?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that word management, I think is important for maybe folks who are listening to this conversation who haven't thought about what we're about to dive into as deeply, Like I'm going to have a lot of very naive questions here, because even though it's something that I have thought about it, and I have interviewed people about it, and I have worked with individuals on topics in these areas. It's not an area where I have even a modicum of expertise, and I'm curious, you know, just to kind of push maybe not the point, but the question a little deeper. One thing that I'm always fascinated by is how we label things, how we categorize things, sort of the constructs that feel relevant to us. And we often think, because it is the anthropathy and right, everything we do has a consequence, and it's a large consequence, because human beings are massive drivers of change on this planet. But at the same time, there is often a management component to the work that we do and intentionality. If we choose to do this, we're hoping that these things will follow versus, Oh, I'm just doing what I do and oops, oops, look what happened as a result of that. And so I'm curious, sort of land management scientists, or even with you in your writing, do you make firm distinctions between those things or is that a very fuzzy line.
Speaker 2: Between the intention It sounds like the intentionality, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm doing this and I'm doing it on purpose.
Speaker 2: I would say in most cases, the and the breadth of projects I've worked on now in you know, well three continents, really a lot in Latin America, North America, I've spent some time in Indonesia. There is an external driver of change, be that climate change, be that a company coming in and the citing you know, purchasing land that they want to convert for ag purposes. You know, those are just a couple examples, and then the local community or the local people there are impacted in some way and want something different. There's an intention from you know, the outside developer, but that may be a different intention than what a community wants or needs, you know, in response. But I also think more and more and we can talk about it as we get into you know, tree keeping and tree keepers. We need those parties coming together, and parties are coming together to think about, you know, how do we use land and productive ways while also keeping trees, and how do we make the tree keeping you know, financially viable. And then it's not you know that then it's like a collective intention. Everybody's after the same goal.
Speaker 1: Right, right, And that's probably where a lot of the difficulties come in. Is when there are multiple sort of parties involved, and sometimes those parties aren't even people, right, they're the people who are speaking for shall we say, the animals or the you know, the other other forms of the local ecology. So there are multiple parties involved, and sometimes their goals are not aligned, and sometimes they're in direct kind of opposition to one another, and that's probably where things start to get a bit complicated.
Speaker 2: Definitely.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And and so I'm going to put a final kind of button on this point before we get into the specifics of tree keepers and of trees especially. I was asking about these sort of intentional consequences versus these unintentional consequences, but very often because the globe is a closed system, I don't even know how to put words into this, probably because it's early, probably because I have like COVID brain fog right now. But like you mentioned, how like climate change is always going to have an impact right on a local ecological system. And then maybe, okay, an intentional forest clear Let's say somebody's like mining for gold and they're clearing a portion of the forest. We see this all the time in the Amazon, and then obviously they're going to be intentional consequences of that. But ultimately that very clearing of that forest for the gold mining is also contributing to climate change, which is then driving another layer of impact. Right, So a lot of times these things end up kind of building on themselves, don't they for sure?
Speaker 2: And in land change scientists and people are doing this research. We talk a lot about feedback, so you know, it's just a constant cycle of what we are doing as people to the environment, what's the environment, how the environment then responds as well as you know, these external forces beyond you know, which which maybe climate change in others.
Speaker 1: Very often when I speak with science writers on the show, which I would say make up a pretty large component of the individuals that I interview on Talk Nerdy, are scientists slash science writers or some kind of combination of the two. I'm I'm always curious how you decided to kind of focus on this specific project. For many people, it's a culmination of like years of their research interests. Yes, okay, but what I guess I'm curious a big question, which is what were you hoping when you sat down to say, Okay, I'm going to work on this book. What kind of questions were you trying to answer or stories were you trying to tell? And then by the end of it, did you end up where you started or did it become a totally different project than you intended?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, starting with all the big questions, right, we should get back to we should get back to why I write. You know, it's like an interesting mix too, when you're a scientist and a writer. Yeah, I think I think at the big picture, you know, I love storytelling. I feel like there's a lot of research and you know, positive action out there that doesn't get you know, media coverage. And I really enjoy the process of taking what I consider to be problem solving, problem solving research or people doing really innovative things in communities to help the environment and therefore help themselves, and telling about that work. So in my career has been kind of a mix of going back and forth between them doing research, applied research, working with communities on land, these changes that they're experiencing, how do we manage those systems better? And then also the writing part. So I kind of go in and out. And I obviously just spent a couple of years with my head down. But why did I go into hoping. Well, I'll tell you a little bit of the origins how I got interested in.
Speaker 1: Yes, please, yeah, yeah, there's kind of what I would asking. In the least direct way possible.
Speaker 2: I touched upon forest mortality. So my PhD focused on a tree species, yellow seater kellichopsist new contensus. It's a magnificent species in the Pacific Northwest and in parts of Alaska. It's dying because of climate change. And I was looking at how those forest communities, how the other species in that ecosystem respond after the death of this tree, and also thinking about and researching, doing a lot of social science research, interviewing people in communities. How are they responding to the loss of this tree, Are they managing their forests any differently, how are they impacted, and how are their lives affected. It sounds like a pretty depressing topic, but I actually found it quite hopeful, which is actually why so my first book cul was called In Search of the Canary Tree and came out of this research. And you know, I had gone to Alaska at the time to do this work because I thought of it as like the front lines of climate change, you know. Rewind you know, two thousand and nine to twenty ten, twenty eleven. When I was doing this research, you know, we weren't experiencing the amount of wildfires and other impacts that we're experiencing in the West now, but they were certainly predicted. And you know, warming in the northern latitudes were you know twice, if not three times the global averages. So from my philosophical and scientific perspective, you know, Alaska and the northern latitudes were kind of a looking glass into the future. But coming out of that research, you know, both the work that I was doing for my PhD and writing in Search of the Canary Tree, you know, I had been thinking so much about loss and also seeing communities come together to adapt, seeing species respond in positive ways other species, seeing changing but flourishing forests. I was thinking about regrowth and you know, where are there places in the world where that have experienced, you know, a real decline in forest cover, but then something turned around. Now they're increasing. This was you know, twenty eighteen, twenty nineteen. There were countries on my radar at the time known for what's called a forest transition, going from loss to forrest, gain Bhutan, Chile, Costa Rica, Vietnam. Those were a few that had my attension. But then I was also thinking about, well could this happen in a global scale like here, you know, as both a scientist studying land use change, you know, well read person reading about our environmental narratives, really reading our environmental narratives across the world as a story of loss. But I wanted the optimistic story of you know, could we turn it around? What would turn it around around? That same time, in twenty nineteen, a study came out in the journal Science. It was led by a scientist at Eth Zurich named Jactually he was a senior author, Tom Crowther, and another scientist, John Franzwambastam, who was the lead, and they were looking at it was called the Global Tree Restoration Potential, and they were essentially looking at how much more forest could the world support, and they came up with about a trillion trees it was one point two And then what they also did was estimated the amount of carbon those trees could store. It hit the media big. I mean, you know, everyone who's a scientist would love to get in science, the journal Science, and not all those studies, you know, get a lot of media and this one had about you know, seven hundred media articles published soon after.
Speaker 1: So it was kind of like, plant all these trees and we'll save our planet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and part of it was Tom Crowther has since said, you know, I made a mistake in the communications, like I didn't really think that if I just you know, if I said planting, everyone would think if I said restoration, everyone would only think planting. You know. In truth, the work of one point two trillion trees or one trillion trees is about tree keeping and the places that we have trees now is about growing the forests out that aren't mature yet, and yes, about you know, planting, but planting is only a part of that. And it also took off because it seemed, you know, well, first of all, every not every, but mostly everybody really likes trees. You know, I feel like we have a long affinity for trees being in and around them. It's not necessarily a controversial issue. And so you had oil and gas companies and like total standing up saying you know, here's the commitment we're going to make to forests, to trees. The problem and where it became a bit dangerous, as some scientists said, or quoted was that some people thought it would alleviate the need to reduce fossil fuels, and that is not true. Like the first and foremost thing we need to do if you're addressing climate change is reduce their fossil fuel consumption. And then yes, trees, you know, have a role to play for carbon sequestration, but of course there are other gases that are also contributing. So so as we dig deeper, you can see it's quite complicated. But I but I wanted to Basically, there were a lot of media headlines around that time. You know, you can still do it if you google like tree planting and climate and you'll see headlines, you know, saying this is an incredible climate solution, some saying it won't work. You know, tree plantings failed, and you know they're all seven hundred to fifteen hundred word articles. I wanted to take a deep dive into the complexities and into the topic of you know, to really what extent can tries save us and how? And that was the motivation for this project. So I was interested in the answer to that question. But I was also really interested in the journey, like what would I learn along the way by trying to answer that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think that's obviously. I mean, you know it better than most. That's so important when we're talking about good quality science writing is we have to have that journey. We have to hear that story, because without the story, what we're hearing are a bunch of facts and figures, and it's very.
Speaker 2: Easy to sort of so overwhelming.
Speaker 1: Yeah, forget them, or yeah, we get overwhelmed by them, We forget you use context, Yeah, exactly, it's like, oh wait, more or less I can't remember, right, But once we anchor it into narrative, it starts to become meaningful to us. And so I guess like that is the big question here, right, is it's not so simple as we often think it is when we are scrolling and we just read a media headline. It's not just plant more trees and everything's going to be fine, or you know, maintain the force that we already have and everything's going to be fine, because it's more complicated than that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and everybody likes black and white, you know, as Tom Crowther said to me at one point, like there were all these sexy headlines. You know, plant trees, don't plant trees like how do you make a sexy headline out of the gray between? You know, it's difficult. I guess I made a book instead.
Speaker 1: And it's interesting that you chose to title. And I know that we don't always the titles of our books are not always our first choice. They're not always our choice. But it's interesting that ultimately, let's say we landed on this title, which does seem to emphasize the keeping of the trees over the planting of the trees.
Speaker 2: Yes, and that it points to both the need to keep the forests that we have currently standing, and also you know, to invest in and figure out how to keep the ones we're planting. You know, it's an active, long term stewardship if you want to get the benefits that a tree can provide. And I'm not just talking about carbon. We should chat about all the other benefits that trees provide. But you know that doesn't come in the first the initial act. Sure, there are some benefits that come short term, and also, you know, evidence showing they have an effect on people engaged in the restorative work. You know, there's an active healing or probably a positive effect on our mental state from doing that work. Right in the short term or that day you spent tree planting. But really, if you want the benefits for those trees, you've got to keep them into the future. And that is the great challenge. I did keep. I did pick the title, but it took a long time.
Speaker 1: Oh nice, nice, nice, nice, I love it.
Speaker 2: It's not I think there was some like youth mystery novel or something that came out right before that had the name tree Keepers and my Heart's than to the floor, and I wrote those.
Speaker 1: Different genre, a different genre, different part of the bookstore, yeah, different subheading, yeah, for sure. So so I think that obviously points to an important next question, which is, let's get into it right, let's talk a little bit about some of the benefits that trees confer, because I think, you know, if you were to ask me straight up, I would say some of the things that you mentioned, Okay, sequester carbon large scale maybe respiration right, like and in that that the sequestration of carbon shade, like you know, I think about urban planning, so like it makes it literally colder underneath where the trees are than places that are just concrete. Like that's important, but like what else, there's probably a bunch of stuff in the soil that the trees are like managing for there's probably a lot that I don't know is going on with these trees.
Speaker 2: For sure, And I think, you know, there's some interesting studies coming out now even looking at the effects of trees and you know, the percentage of tree cover or forest cover in proximity to agricultural lands like or integrated with that those trees can play a really critical role in restoring the soils underneath, you know. So when you hear these arguments of is it only ag or is it only forest, and you know, actually the ag needs the forest. You know, if we cleared all our forests and just tried to make farmland everywhere, like, it's not going to work for a lot of reasons.
Speaker 1: And yeah, why not mix them, right, why not have dual use?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and there's you know, studies showing that in some places, in many places you you actually see an increase in productivity because of those restorative properties that the trees serve through their you know, root structures, through the communities fungal and microizi they have underneath and so on. But actually I think you know, for me, you mentioned it a little bit, but the urban setting. You know, as an ecologist who spend a lot of time in remote forests researching, this chapter on urban forestry was actually, you know, one of the most eye opening to me because you know, these are the places where more people, you know, on a per capita basis come in contact with trees on a daily basis than these you know, remote, relatively pristine, intact forests that we've talked about, and so yeah, you've an enormous cooling effect. There's some studies coming out of Portland showing neighborhood with a well canopied neighborhood as you might call it, compared to a neighborhood without as many trees or without a good tree cover, can be twenty degrees cooler in the summer. Now, think about you know, the effects for the community members there, if you have elderly community members, economic effects if you're turning on fans or air conditioners to to cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, kids playing outside, like just the health and wellness of the children, Yeah, that's huge.
Speaker 2: There have been studies showing correlation, so not causation, but still correlation. Some interesting findings on tree cover and test scores of kids in schools that have more tree cover that one of the most seminal studies that kind of kicked off some of this research on how trees affect our psychology and mental processing or studies by a psychologist Roger Erlick in the nineteen eighties, and he found that simply having a view of nature can accelerate accelerate healing and recovery time for hospital patients. And now there's you know, I talked with researchers this was actually really fascinating study going out and trying to look at how the terpenes that you breathe in. So if you're in a forest, you can smell these, you know, I if you find yourself walking in a yeah, just a relatively intact forest, secondary primary, there's a smell. I find it does have a calming effect, you know. And there are practices what we call forest bathing and other cultures. And now there's you know, Western science is trying to understand like does that smell or do those terpenes, those compounds that are in the air have a calming effect on our brains. Anyways, we could talk for a long time about benefits. There are a lot of them also, you know, in communities, in urban settings, there have been some studies showing that they are associated with reduced crime. You think about it as more people are out in the neighborhood, you want to go take a walk through that green space. There are more eyes out in the community than there would be without it.
Speaker 1: And it is important that you mentioned too that, like some correlation does not necessarily mean causation, because we do see this complicated interplay between socioeconomic status, between povery and try cut right that in the poorest neighborhoods we see the most concrete and in the most affluent neighborhoods we see the most tree cover, and so you know, but that doesn't necessarily mean that working towards a let's say, in some cases it might be an dependent variable working towards changing the dependent variable may have a sort of feedback loop on the independent variabile like you never know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the inequities are you know, really very much overlaid. And there's been some interesting work in the US and in Europe to assess, you know, our equitable or inequitable distribution of trees. If you go to Seattle, where I spend some time, you know, I think averages around twenty three or twenty four percent tree cover. Wow, that sounds great. That's pretty good. There are some really magnificent shaded streets you can walk down with a beautiful canopy above you. But it's not that way everywhere, and there are certainly pockets with far less than that. And then you're right, they are overlaid with other challenges and they tend to be in poorer areas.
Speaker 1: All right, everyone, I want to take a quick break from today's episode to thank a brand new sponsor, Forever Framed. At Forever Framed, their journey began with a simple realization. In today's digital age, our phones are overflowing with precious and meaningful moments that are captured in photographs, but they remain digital, right They're just trapped on your phone. Rarely do they see the light of day and physical form. While at Forever Framed, they create custom photo magnets that capture your pet's unique personality while giving back to the community. Every purchase supports a local animal rescue, so you're not just getting a keepsake, you're also making a difference. While pet parents are near and dear to their hearts, at Forever Frame their services extend to all individuals looking to cherish their most treasured memories, whether it's commemorating a family reunion, celebrating a wedding, or announcing a special date. I had one made of my little guy Killer. It lives on my refrigerator. He oversees his realm and I love it so so much. But they really are chic. They're these little square tiles, so you can do them in packages of a single or a set of nine. They're really affordable and they look great. So go check them out right now at forever framed dot com. That's fure Eveer framed dot com. All right, everyone, let's get back to the chef. And even here, like I think about Los Angeles where we're like such an interesting urban area because we're massive compared to how most urban areas are very like condensed into a small space. We're very sprawling, right and very spread out here, and so you have every different type of neighborhood. And in Los Angeles a lot of people do live in houses. We have a lot of apartment living as well, but kind of a higher than I think average for an urban area or a large urban center number of single family homes with you know, land around them and we have all these initiatives, and so obviously I'm jumping around a little bit, but I see all these initiatives here in LA, from you know, our local museum to local nonprofit organizations like just giving trees away, especially in lower income areas, saying like here's some trees. Just you want a tree, here's a tree you want to plant in your yard, take it for free, take care of this tree. We want more trees out there, and we can't, like we don't have the budget or the funding or for whatever reason from a municipal perspective, we're not always prioritizing city planning here, right, So like you want to do it individually, you've got the option as well. And it makes me wonder, like, is is it about an approach at all levels? Do we want it like to be kind of haphazard and also at a sort of city or state level planning?
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm, well I love these questions question. No, but it felt important and almost more tangible to look at them in the urban context. But then they parallel what you have, what you've and you know, more remote ecosystems is maybe someone comes in and gives you these trees or plants these trees from an outside but again, how are they sustained into the future In urban cities or sorry, urban areas. A lot of times you're getting funding, as you mentioned, through various mechanisms for that planting, and then the question of longer term maintenance. You know, sometimes yes, cities have those budgets, but a lot of times it don't, and so they'll come back, they'll look for a year or two to get established. But then the longer term maintenance of that tree falls on the adjacent landowner. So if you're a busy person in a community and you've got a lot of the working three jobs, like you know, who knows what all the scenarios, situation, what your situation is, but you know, unless you have the time and resources to care for that tree longer term, that's a challenge, you know, and that adds a challenge. I loved what someone said to me in Tacoma, where I spent some time. It's one of the least treed cities in the Evergreen State. His question was, what if trees in cities were like street lamps. You know, if you think of a street lamp as an essential or a streetlight, sorry, a street light as a well. Both of them would be essential to you know, the urban community. They are stopping traffic, they are providing light in your community, and when they break, you know, there's a budget and there's someone who's going to go out and fix them. What if we saw trees, you know, the same way in urban communities. Unfortunately, not everybody does, and we don't have the same funding mechanisms in place, so it is a bit haphazard in the sense of, you know, the funding comes from lots of different sources.
Speaker 1: Is that a function of just like pure ignorance. Do you think that there's an assumption that because it's you know, green, and because it's natural and it's just going to take care of itself, like nature will just make it okay, and we don't have to do any maintenance, We don't have to do any management.
Speaker 2: No. I think it's just the reality of tree keeping in any kind of text needs to be economically viable. I don't know. When I was in college, I studied environmental studies at Brown. At that time, there was a paper presented. I can remember it. It's probably my sophomore year. Costanza was the author, and it was one of the first great evaluations of nature services ecosystem services. It was this idea of like could we break nature into all these little components? And they did and then say what services they provide to people and who are functioning, you know, on earth, and then put an economic value on it. And I remember thinking, well, this seems crazy to me. Don't people just want to protect nature? Like that was my you know, idealistic self at twenty like it's wonderful. Why don't we all want it? Why can't we all keep why can't we keep it all? But in reality, when you have economic pressures for land, people need a productive use. You know, if your option is to clear the land and build a or B or you know, fharm X or y, the alternative to keeping those trees needs to have a financial incentive for people, you know. And so while I thought at the time that was crazy and also could we ever implement that, you know, now twenty years later, countries are valuing their nature services as a means of building it into the economic system. And you know, we have all different mechanisms now for what we call payments for ecosystem services. Maybe you're paying someone to do something differently to their water to protect it. Maybe you're paying someone to keep those trees for the carbon they will sequester in the next twenty thirty, thirty five fifty years. So what I thought of was crazy. Now I view is, as you know, essential, because protecting nature or keeping a functioning natural world has largely been like a external to where you can system their externalities. Those impacts are all externalities.
Speaker 1: I think about some of the individuals that I've spoken with on the show before and in my personal life before who work in wildlife management, especially in some African countries, and the sort of awareness that I had when I visited some of these countries that the rhetoric that we often hear in the West, which is that there's just these like big wild spaces and don't get me wrong, they're stunning spaces and they feel very wild, and they are very wild in many aspects. But the animals in these like large preserves in much of Africa, are named, they're tagged, they are fully managed, right, They're watched, like we know who these lions are, we know who these you know, elephants are there, and there's decision making about culling and about relocation, and you know about even something as scary to us in the West as an idea like trophy hunting is actually in an intentionally managed effort in a lot of these places to protect the animals and to raise money, and a lot of people just don't recognize that. So that brings me to this kind of parallel question, which is that the rhetoric that you often hear about like rewilding, like well, why don't we just kind of let it go back to itself? You know, And it's like, but what what I'm hearing from you is this idea that like there has to always be active management. Now, sometimes that active management is more hands on versus more hands off. But you can't just walk away and say, okay, there, that area is going to take care of itself, because even if we're actively not doing anything there, our activities as a human species have affected it.
Speaker 2: There's no Christine, there's nothing we can just you know, I used to call it fortress conservation, where this idea that you could set up a national park and or you know, set line, you know, put lines on the earth as this protected area and it would stay stagnant and b forever. And that's certainly not true.
Speaker 1: But everybody thinks it is, I feel like such a crime and misconception, right.
Speaker 2: Even our ideas of you know, I think a lot of ideas of some of the most again intact forests like Congo and Amazon. Like if you think of we go to the heart of the Amazon, nobody's there. Well, actually, yes, there are people there, and there are indigenous people there, and they're living more harmoniously with nature than we do elsewhere. We people living elsewhere can certainly learn from communities that are managing their lands far more sustainably. Like our relationship is out of balance.
Speaker 1: And they are managing them right, Like these indigenous groups are still actively managing their land. Yeah, they're not just turning their backs.
Speaker 2: I was also going to point to natural regeneration that you know, we've talked a lot about planting, talked a lot about doing and this is the idea of active restoring and active management. But a lot of times in land that have been used for cattle grazing, for example, simply changing the land use, removing those cattle no longer raising cattle on that land can help recovery. If there's a seed bed in that forest, so there's a on those lands, you know, if there's a seed bed from the forest that was there still in those lands or in adjacent lands. I visited a project in Panama. This was on the Azuero Peninsula. It was towards the end of my research and reporting. It was really incredible effort bringing together local landowners and farmers. They had been cattle ranching in the area for a long time. The lands are degraded, the productivity has gone down, and also as a result of climate change, the dry season is much longer now. So when you think of all these cattle needing to eat their green grass, like they're not getting that because of the hot dry season. The cattle that I saw in the region where you know, starving, really skinny cattle and not thinking about here they're getting a lot of money for the meat. So people in that area wanted and needed to transition their land use to something else, you know, and growing forests could help, you know, restore biodiversity in the area, could help with ecotourism, could help sequester more carbon and anyhow, this project had been carbon certified and is supported by Microsoft. But the point that I wanted to make was they were doing and still are doing a lot of planting and you know, I didn't write about this at the time, because they keep sending me updates on how things are going. And now they're also saying, you know, just the act of getting all these landowners to stop the cattle farming is also helping the regeneration happen. Like the trees we planted are doing well, and then there's a whole other generation that we didn't even expect because you know, they're coming back from the seabed. So that is an act of you know, in some ways letting the wild return, but facilitating it, you know, through changing the land use, through some planting, yes, but largely through removal of those cattle that we're you know, stamping down and grazing on the land all the time.
Speaker 1: And that, of course, I think raises a complicated, a fascinating, an important question about the way that all of these systems, in the most sort of stochastic way like interact with one another. So, okay, removing the cattle grazing, and then you see all of these positive sort of consequences coming in. And yet at the same time, we don't need cattle for food, but we kind of need cattle for food, you know what I mean, Like we can make global decisions about meat consumption for you know, the health of the population, and we can affect change in a way that we can massively reduce, let's say, beef consumption and the amount of just like resources that raising beef requires. At the same time, I think about it kind of the way that I think about fossil fuels. Right, we definitely need to stop utilizing fossil fuels the way that we do, but we also can't tomorrow turn off that faucet or we would have like global economic collapse. And I think about a lot of these different systems in that way. We want to move towards something, and we want to do it way faster than we're doing it right now. But at the same time, there have to be economic alternatives, because people aren't going to stand for reforesting ag land if that's their only source of being able to feed themselves.
Speaker 2: Explaining that latter part a little more. People aren't going.
Speaker 1: Well, that's the question, right, And that's why I think we have so much global pushback. Is in certain areas there is this idea I don't know if an idea is the right word, but there is a deep belief that the reason we're doing things the way we're doing them right now is because this is what we need. Right we have X number of people on the planet, we have to feed them. We have x amount of arable land. How do we utilize this land? And it's interesting because I think what you're doing in this book is you're looking at that very data and you're saying, it's not so simple as let's just turn every let's just plant trees everywhere in the world, and then we'll all be happy, right, But it's also not so simple as let's clear all the trees so that we can mine for gold and you know, let the cattle graze and grow sugar beets and alfalfa. There's a balance here because there are still eight billion people on the planet.
Speaker 2: And I don't you know, I definitely point towards what I believe, you know, and what others I interviewed one hundred and fifty people involved in restoration around the world. I think is you know most beneficial, which is we have colliding crises here, you know, from climate and from the climate crisis and biodiversity crisis. There's even health problems that come from you know, more forest degradations. So they're all intersecting, I mean, the pressures, and they will continue to be real. We need wood products. We've talked a lot about you know, food consumption, and certainly, yes, like you know, if we could change our behavior and not eat meat, that would protect a lot of forests and keep give a lot of people land to have forested places. But again, the communities living near those forests would then have the same question of how how do they gain you know, what's the economic value they gain by keeping the trees? How do they build a sustainable system? And there's all kinds of you know, efforts to support those communities, you know, non they're called non timber related project. There are products that come from forests. You know, this can be beekeeping and bringing honey from the forest and making that into something new. So I don't take a deep dive on the there have been great books out there, many books written on the consumption side, and certainly you know, whether we're talking about fossil fuels or beef, reducing both of them at a global scale. You could snap your fingers like what's all all the problems? You know?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: But moving forward I think of and that's again, you know, points to the title of the book. I think that treekeeping is something we can integrate into a lot of different land uses, and are integrated into agricultural production in some places too. We also need to think about and people are thinking about how land use changes when it becomes unproductive for cattle or when it comes unproductive for farming. Those communities are, you know, in need of doing something different. And if there have been forests on those lands before, and those lands could still support forests, why not have them there into the future. Why not help build them there into the future.
Speaker 1: So then I guess that leads me because you're right like that that's not the focus of your book, but one of the things that you do touch on, and I think it's an important conversation about that sort of extractive practice is I guess I don't know if I'm using the right words, but like timber right long, like literally cutting down trees to then be able to make things like houses and furniture and paper. And so I'm curious your I guess maybe just like your ethical take on it's a complicated question, right, So similar to fossil fuels, Yeah, the world would be great if we just never used fossil fuels. It'd be great if we didn't have to cut down trees to make houses, but we do. So is there a future where we don't, or is there a future where we do it in a more sustainable way? Like, what's your kind of takeaway after doing all this research.
Speaker 2: Well, it was interesting to take a look back at some of the forest transitions that have happened historically. So in parts of Europe Scotland for example, as one. There are other countries that in the last hundred two hundred, three hundred years experienced forest transitions, and a lot of times they were you know, post war really if you look at post World War one or post World War two policies where countries didn't want to rely on imports from other countries and so they change their forest policy domestically to say, okay, let's start planting forests. And those forests were you know, monoculture forests largely for wood product. So while you could say that that story is a story of lost gain if you just say, oh, there was the forest there before, and was the forest gone and now there's a new forest, Yes, but when you start looking into what those forests are, you know where they native forests where they multiple species, biodiverse, are they now monocultures? You know that there's a real question of what are we losing versus what are we gaining? So, you know, I definitely make the point and others certainly do from many interviews that now, when we think about restoration, in the ideal scenario, we're thinking about restoring ecosystems in a way that support a diversity of species, you know, and that's not always possible, and that won't always be possible because we need timber. But I think that any project could start with that, you know, that question, to what extent could we restore native species here? You know, there have been probably ten or fifteen or twenty species most commonly planted in efforts around the world, you know, for a long history. But there are some you know, seventy three thousand tree species known on Earth. So that was also some of the fascinating things to research as you start thinking about, Okay, well, if we actually want to address two colliding crises here about a climate crisis and a biodiversity crisis, we could do that, but only if we're planting and supporting, you know, regeneration of biodiverse areas as well. That's really different than the timber question.
Speaker 1: No, but it's an important one because they speak to each other.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: I think we often think in different levels like mic grow, macro miso. What we're talking about here are large efforts and super important efforts like national sometimes multinational efforts, but it can happen all the way down to the individual level as well. Right, So I'm curious. You know, we haven't talked too deeply about it, but we have kind of touched on policies or on decision making at these large, sort of multinational levels. But what about like you and your home in you know, Bozeman, or me and my home here in Los Angeles? Are there things that I can be doing, whether it's from a voting or policy perspective, or whether it's from an individual sort of maintenance and management perspective of my own property to help improve biodiversity.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I've recently wrote an article an Emergence magazine. It's a great magazine if you haven't come upon it. But I was actually researching post fire regeneration. So what are some of these communities doing in LA and your area? It sounds like that are recovering or just barely from fires. I mean there's some there's a really incredible effort now among community members to collect wild seed and plant wild seed. People have been collecting in that area on their properties. So yes, thinking about a diversity of species that you can plant on your own property, if you are a gardener, if you have land, is certainly great. When I was with I worked with the Climate Adaptation Fund for a while. It's used to be one of the largest funders of adaptation efforts in the US, and some of the most interesting projects I found were pollination projects in cities where people were really clearly planting in their gardens, you know, plants that would support pollinators and other species that we're moving through those areas. You know, even if you're in a more rural area and your farmland, doing that work is great, is helpful. Getting involved in your community to understand your forest cover is a really interesting way to engage with this topic. I have just started, you know, locally, I've been working on this global book for many years, and I've just started getting more involved in my local community. And you know, there's a lot of complexities to managing what here in Bozeman is twenty seven thousand urban trees. You know, there arefore people checking in on these trees, and yes, developments coming in, and yes policies that could be changed and improved to help keep the forest cover here in this community. But I think any community could have that. And maybe you're sitting there in you know, Arizona. I mean I live in the desert. But actually Phoenix, for example, has a was one of a great example of a city that went out there and has been doing some really interesting work and good work to increase their urban tree cover for cooling effects and addressing tree inequities in that region as well or in that city as well.
Speaker 1: You know, I have to ask, and in some ways I feel like this might be a closing question, so before I dive into it, I do want to make sure that we've covered you know, from where I'm sitting, I feel like the important takeaway so far for me has been this is gray right. This is a very complex question, and it's not so simple as let's just plant a bunch of trees wherever we can plant them and then walk away and hope that, like you know, nature finds a way. But this is a situation that requires a lot of active management and a lot of important decision making for all of the different interested parties so that we can find sort of the most equitable and best possible solution giving all of these different pressures. Now that said, you started this this sort of conversation by saying, you know, I was working on this project and I was writing about this topic, and it sounded really depressing, right, and you were talking about your dissertation, but like it sounded really depressing, but ultimately I found it really hopeful, and I'm curious if we can kind of bring that back to tree keepers. You know, we're talking about these problems that feel sometimes insurmountable, but clearly you write with so much hope for the future, and so I'm wondering, Hey, where do you find that hope and how do you implement it?
Speaker 2: Well, first, I mean I was just amazed at, I guess, the diversity of people that are tree keepers. You know, I talk to so many people living in different settings and coming from different backgrounds, and you know, trees captivated them in some way. I think you know, that connection in some ways is an ata. I write about that through the eyes of my son and watching him and as his relationship with trees and nature has grown. But to me, so I find hope in that, and that was part of my effort, you know, in writing this book is I want I would like everyone first to enjoy the narrative and second to reflect on, you know, how can I be part of this and what is a small role that I could play? And I think there are many regardless of where you regardless of where you live. And then the other thing, particularly, you know, for a lot of at the larger scale, I guess for companies and governments that are making tree commitments. I wanted to send the message that I think this work is yes, complex, but there's lots of lessons learned already and there are you know, guardrails or general principles I think that can guide this work. And every project needs to be tailored to the local context and the local community and supported by a local community. And yes, that's hard, but I think there are themes across them. And I also think that there are a lot of good companies and leaders working to make the effort of tree keeping better and to find the way is to make it economically viable. So there's you know that there's my hope too.
Speaker 1: And how do you maintain that on a kind of daily basis? How do you how do you tap back into that when you're starting to feel a little bit discouraged or overwhelmed, especially and I don't you know, obviously we don't, we don't need to get into politics right now. I've been spending a lot of time there. But you know, right now is a time where a lot of people are struggling to find hope because they feel like the political will isn't there necessarily. So, you know, how do you, as an individual who's really steeped in this content, what do you tell yourself in those moments where your hope is hard to catch?
Speaker 2: I mean, I guess I think about if you focus on what got us into the climate mess. You know, it was the actions of many, many, many people, collective action, and certainly you know, some are more responsible than others, but we're playing a part. And so I guess I flip the coin and say the same is true in the solution space. You know, what are the good things that I can do to contribute? Yes, I would like to spark more change at a larger scale, but I also believe I can make a difference at a small scale and hopefully potentially let's all put her, you know, cross our fingers that will have an impact to and do course and do time.
Speaker 1: I love it, and it's so true sometimes when we are feeling like our hands are most tied behind our back, or we're feeling like the most like a very tiny tiny cog in like what's increasingly feeling like an authoritarian wheel. The ability to to be empowered to make these kind of small scale decisions, to support the leaders that we want to support, to engage in active change in our on our own personal property or within our communities is it's not just a way to recapture that hope, but it's a way to feel like we're and not just to feel like but to actually be doing something when when it's it's hard to feel like we're affecting change against the background of what's happening politically right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and i'd say also to dress you know this moment. I mean, I am a scientist who's worked on environmental issues. I work on climate. My husband is a you know, doctor who works on infectious disease outbreaks and public health. Like, you know, in a time when science is called into question like this, and so many people in fields I value and care about and believe are critical are laid off. I also think about, like what can come from this period of disruption, like how do you not give up? How do those people come together? What's the pivot? And I don't think anyone has an answer to that, but I think that if you throw your hands up and say, well, we can't, then we can't. You know what will chart the path forward is people figuring out how to come together again differently.
Speaker 1: And we will. And I'm I'm not just hopeful, but I'm confident that we will, because I think that that is how the pendulum swings, is that sometimes we get comfortable and then we have to realize that we can't get too comfortable. And hopefully, for those who are listening right now, they are curious and they, you know, their appetite has been wedded to be able to pick up your book Tree Keepers, to read about the hope that is in front of us and the type of future that we can have on this planet with some planning, some decision making, and some and some real stewardship.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think in a time when it feels like people are going different ways. I think, you know, one of the lessons I took from the different people involved in tree keeping is that it also brings us together. So I look to that, to the act of treekeeping for that too during these times.
Speaker 1: I love that well everybody. The book is tree Keepers the Race for a Forested Future by doctor Lauren E. Oakes. Lauren Thing, thank you so much for being here with us today.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me good questions. It was a good conversation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was so fun, and everybody listening. Thank you for coming back a week after week. I'm really looking forward to the next time we all get together to talk to Arbi