Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine hileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families. Each Wednesday we bring you our thoughts on a newer entertainment property, And for this week of November eighteenth, we're discussing the third episode of the new season of Shrinking. And it was called Psychological Something Is And I was with it all the way up until the end, and then I got mad about you.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Alice is all vulnerable and she winds up kissing the poor sad boy she had previously seated to her friend. The music at the end, while this terrible thing was happening was it's okay, make mistakes, okay, make mistakes, and I was like, is it okay?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: I really think it's okay. Yeah, I think maybe don't make the mistakes. And again it was the same sort of thing as the end of last season. There is that really sweet scene of Jimmy and Brian and Charlie making up, talking to each other, just a happy tableau, and your episode there what is wrong with you? Instead? Instead, it ends with Alice making a horrible mistake that is going to be much harder to get herself out of than kissing trying to kiss Sean si Oh, sweetheart, sweetheart could have seen this coming. But still, Summer's gonna be pissed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Summer, who we were just praising for her excellences problem solving.
Speaker 4: She gave good advice.
Speaker 2: She was like, I'll take that neighbor kid off your hands. Yeah, and this is how she's repaid.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, and also not too cool to jerk that neighbor kid around in this.
Speaker 4: Way exactly, it's not so.
Speaker 1: You know, while he should not have you know that he uh jeez. Yeah, And I mean she is significantly messed up at that moment from having met Brett Goldstein, who I know we have to hate him, but oh my gosh, without the beard and with that big sad face, I just want to give buck. Yes, you sort of wish that Roy Kent could come out every night? Just go no noes, we know, because there's no beard. I was like, that's how, you know, how can we make people not think that this is going to be the same guy a whole bunch of empty face to look at? It does look extremely different with that, It really does. So how how did Alice know where he works?
Speaker 4: Yeah? A good question.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, we we figured that there was maybe some sort of public records thing she could have looked up to find his house. Did she go to his house?
Speaker 4: Did she follow it to work?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Good question.
Speaker 1: We have to expect that that's it. I guess she didn't just happen to go to coffee at the wrong place.
Speaker 5: I assume or she's been doing a lot and they're googling and social media stalking. I guess, oh baby, yeah, hm, yikes.
Speaker 4: Paul tried to stop her.
Speaker 2: Paul tried to be the both parent and therapist and be like, Baryl, this is bad, and her own dad I don't know, but unable to step in at this.
Speaker 1: His own stuff going on. He's saving Grace and he's uh, you know, trying to make up to Gabby and to Brian. He was getting dumped on by pretty much everybody in this so he had his own stuff. Although, is Paul and Alice's relationship visa VID their therapy, her therapy a professional one or a friendly one, which is to say, can Paul just go to Jimmy and say, hey, she went to his house. You need to talk to her about this, right?
Speaker 4: Is that?
Speaker 1: Would that be a violation? Is she expecting doctor patient coffee?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a good question. I don't know.
Speaker 2: But also I think that he wouldn't do that because he still wants Alice to trust him and talk to.
Speaker 1: Him, I guess. But this is he's gonna a big deal. Yeah, I agree, and something that could predictably be very very bad. Right, So maybe in that situation, like if she comes to him and says, hey, I'm drunk driving but I'm sure it'll be fine, she wouldn't because of her mom, but or hey I'm gonna go, you know, do something really dangerous. Although she told him about the EH Anyway, I felt like Jimmy needed to know about this and talk to her about it, right, but maybe keep her keys in his pocket. But Paul also had his own stuff going on with the whole situation with Julie's husband. Oh yeah, that was very sad.
Speaker 2: Beating Julie's husband, who turns out they're still married and he has dementia and is in a care facility.
Speaker 1: Huh and does not appear to really know who she is, right, you know, And so then Paul is going to worry, well, is she just like collecting poor saddled sick guys, and is you know, should I be putting her through this again? But she seems pretty clear, amusingly firm about what she wants. I enjoy her a lot. She's a good addition to the cast.
Speaker 4: Yeah she is. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think it's I mean, it's just sitcom life. But just the way like anyone and everyone could be in the kitchen at the workplace of Paul, Gabby and Jimmy just yeah, you know, Julie's shows up there, Derek shows up out like eating the ice cream.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's definitely a sitcom thing, you know, just like the way everybody nobody talks on the phone. They all have to just like show up and this.
Speaker 1: Is what we want. This is what I like. This is what I like from a vill Lauren sitcom is just everybody hanging out, different permutations of hanging out, and sometimes people aren't allowed to calm hang out and then they work their way back in, right do you When they did that whole thing of do you know what my husband does for a living? I was thinking of all my friends and please don't ask me that question.
Speaker 4: You wouldn't be able to answer it.
Speaker 1: I have one friend I would be able to answer it, and all the rest I'm not sure. And that's mostly because in this the one that I do know is a friend also. So but hmmm, yeah, well.
Speaker 4: Then it turned out that Brian didn't really know what his husband did.
Speaker 1: Eat. That was hilarious, I mean, because what his husband does is something like marketing consultant, which what the bleep even is that?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I believe it was management consultant.
Speaker 1: Yes, management consultant, What the bleep even is that? So that's completely understand right, he could have told you and you still would have forgotten it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Oh well relatable.
Speaker 1: Oh no, see, then the whole grace thing was boy that Donnie making friends everywhere he goes the therapy.
Speaker 2: The physical therapist, just like I ate him so much. Jimmy's like, yeah, probably inappropriate, But Jimmy, you have been extremely inappropriate and as throughout this situation.
Speaker 1: But you know, there's a lot of realies in that storyline and I don't care. Get it gone. Send to Vancouver's Hedy Gardner. Very much appreciated your performance. You did great, very interesting. But it's over, please please please let it be over.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that was a nice little drive away on a you haul.
Speaker 2: Yeah, wearing the same sweater you were just wearing so that.
Speaker 4: I notice stuff like that.
Speaker 1: But what was a noticeable sweaters going on?
Speaker 4: That's true, that's true.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it was a nice twist that it wasn't Jimmy who solved it after all. It was it was Brian coming in with the the statements. He had gathered.
Speaker 1: Pimonials from friends, friendship, ladies and gentleman friendship. We have our theme for the week. You oh, and Liz does something selfless and it comes back and bites are in the butt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was not a good Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean you can see. This is the second time I watched the episode. I watched it when it first came out, and I missed the bit where she's standing by the truck and she hears him say, yeah, that would be great, but I, you know, I don't want to let Liz down or something like that. And then I could see why she would do what she did. Yeah, because originally I thought, why would she even do that? She's having a good time, but yeah, she thought she was doing something good. But here's maybe a theme of this show is just fracking talk to people. How hard is it to just talk to people?
Speaker 2: Unless it's the drunk driver who killed your mother? Maybe don't talk to him, I don't.
Speaker 1: Know, talk to him with your dad there is maybe in an office somewhere and not his place of work, and in an organized way.
Speaker 4: Yes, there you go.
Speaker 1: Certainly good to talk, not good to stalk. But oh dear, that is a that is a dilemma. Do we And I feel so bad for Sean.
Speaker 2: You know, I guess Sean's gonna have to confront a hard topic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, He's gonna have to do exactly what the theme for this season for him was set up to be right, so do hard things yep, and should be making contact with his family and reconnecting to people he knew before he got into Jimmy's orbit. But at the same time, you don't want to be ambushed with that, right, You want to give it some thoughtful consideration. Hey, Sean, if the time ever comes when you want to go in business with your dad instead of me, I'll be happy to sell my shares. I just want you to know, so it would take there. You go interesting the possibility. Over the course of the season, he thinks about it. Maybe at the end of the season you do it. And by that time she's really sick of having the responsibility.
Speaker 2: Right, She's like, I don't like getting up this earlier.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So she's ready to, you know, launch her baby bird out of her nest, like she wants to launch her own living child.
Speaker 4: She's like, please go.
Speaker 1: Oh the amount of leap that is going to hit the fan from that last scene, yeah, especially presuming they don't just kiss.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I guess we don't know that, well we will?
Speaker 1: You do? I know I don't because I have. I stopped when we started talking about them. I stopped watching them because it's just I was having trouble. Yeah, referencing things from other episodes. Yeah, because everything builds on everything. It's hard. It's it's hard to differentiate where one ends and the next one takes up.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely waiting, but I see things on social media. It's like, I want to go watch it. Yeah, Summer's reaction was on social media. Oh dear, because the the sad boy can't keep his freaking mouth shut. I would, yeah, but I do not know.
Speaker 2: Okay, anyway, well, perhaps we shall find out next week when we will discuss the fourth episode of season two. It is called Maybe You Look, And We'll see you back here tomorrow for our weekly Roundabout round up.
Speaker 1: Yay, thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com, slash shop slash mamitude. But you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years,