Speaker 1: It's five o'clock, straight up.
Speaker 2: This is your wake up call for Wednesday, December fourth.
Speaker 1: I'm Amy king excited. You're starting your day with us.
Speaker 2: Twenty one days till Christmas? Can you believe that Christmas is that close? Where did this year go?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 1: Driving in it.
Speaker 2: Did feel a little Christmas see, because it was super foggy. So if when you head out this morning, just be aware that I'm sure it's not in all areas, but all the way into Burbank it was pretty darn foggy. This morning felt a little bit eerie, a little bit wintry. Kind of liked it. I want to say a big thank you. We're back in the studio today, of course, because yesterday we were at the Anaheim White House for Pastathon twenty twenty four. We are so close to our goal. As of ten o'clock last night, and this is not all the totals. More money is coming in, but as of ten o'clock last night, nine hundred and forty five thousand dollars let me be more precise, nine hundred forty five, two hundred three dollars and seventy eight thousand, nine hundred and fifty five pounds of pasta and sauce had come in. And we're not done yet because thanks to our partners at Wendy's and also Smart and Final, you can still make donations. You can shop at any Smart and Final, donate any amount at checkout, head into Wendy's. All of the Wendys are participating in southern California. If you donate five dollars or more, you get a coupon book for Wendy's goodies. And of course you can donate online at KFIAM six forty dot com slash pastathon.
Speaker 1: Also, it was really cool.
Speaker 2: You know, the crowds are generally light at five am, because hey, if I didn't have to be up, I wouldn't be, and I would imagine if you didn't have to be up, you wouldn't be. But it was fun because we had some Wake Up Call listeners stop by and that was really fun to get to see people face to face. So again, thanks for everybody who came out, Thanks to everybody who donated, And we'll be updating those totals because I think I think they're going to go up quite a bit. Here's what's ahead on Wake Up Call. Former federal prosecutor Nathan Hackman has been sworn in as the d DA of La County, replacing George Gascone, whose reform policies were overwhelmingly rejected by voters last month. A stretch of the Dana Point coastline has been closed by a more than three thousand gallons sewage spill. The OC Healthcare Agency says a sewer line broke yesterday near Salt Creek Beach, spilling thirty three hundred and seventy five gallons into the ocean water. The ruptured line has been fixed, but officials say the ocean water is still contaminated and it's not safe to go in. South Korea's president has lifted a short lived call for martial law. President Yun Stirkyo said he made the declaration because opposition parties were sympathizing with North Korea and controlling parliament. The South Korean parliament quickly voted to end martial law, and Yo backed down. Earlier troops had entered Seoul to protect parliament from protesters. We're actually going to be talking with ABC's State Department correspondent Shannon Kingston about this, going to dig a little deeper into it, find out exactly what happened and what's going to happen next.
Speaker 1: That's coming up before the bottom of the hour.
Speaker 2: We've got Tech Talk today with Rich Dmiro at five point twenty. Apparently your Apple watch is now going to start talking to your tesla. That a whole lot more. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of a KFI twenty four hour newsroom. LA County District Attorney Nathan Hackman has been sworn into office.
Speaker 4: Former Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger administered the oath to Hawkman, who cruised a victory in November's election over incumbent George Gascon. Hawkman says he won't a dare to either extreme swing of the ideological pendulum, including calls to be soft on crime, and.
Speaker 5: The other end the pendulum swing mass incarceration policies that sought to do the same.
Speaker 4: Hawkman says he will lead the office with what he calls the hard middle approach, a system that's fair to defendants and victims.
Speaker 5: Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 2: The La City Council is expected to finalize its Sanctuary City ordinance. It will prohibit city resources or personnel from being used to help enforce federal immigration laws. The council unanimously approved the proposed ordinance after the election last month, but made some changes so it needed a second vote. The ordinance would go into effect within ten days after the mayor signs it. Burbank police say a brush fire in the city may have been deliberately set. A man suspected of starting a fire yesterday morning. Their son set Kenyon and Orange Grove Drive has been detained. About five acres of open land burned before firefighters were able to put the flames out. President elect Trump's pick Ford Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth has met with Republican senators in Washington, d C. To get their support, but Hegseth is facing allegations of sexual and personal misconduct. Abc Selina Wang says The New York Times has an email from Hegsath's mother criticizing his conduct toward women.
Speaker 6: Hegseth's mother had told The New York Times that at the time she had immediately sent a.
Speaker 7: Follow up email to our son apologizing for sending that note.
Speaker 2: Wings says the mother's email was sent in twenty eighteen. You know that little pause you just heard, because you know when you have your email open, and it pops up and you get like a pop up screen that stops you from doing anything else.
Speaker 1: That just happened until I figured out how to close it.
Speaker 2: Okay, the US Capitol Christmas Tree has been lit for the holidays.
Speaker 4: Three two one, There you go.
Speaker 8: Hey.
Speaker 2: The ceremony last night was hosted by House Speaker Mike Johnson. Alaska fourth grader Rose Berke won an essay contest and was the one who got to push the button to light the eighty foot tall Sitka spruce. The tree traveled thousands of miles from Washington or to Washington actually also from Alaska from the top ungest National Forest.
Speaker 1: Right now, we.
Speaker 2: Got to get to ABC's Jordana Miller, who is in Jerusalem. Jordana, as if Israel doesn't have enough on its hands, the IDEF has carried out a strike in Syria.
Speaker 8: That's right. The IDEA says it targeted has Bolla's main mediator or or the main person that is a kind of link to uh to Hasballa the pits in Syria, and he has hit a car, hit on a car near Damascus. I mean it follows a pattern we've seen really for several months of Israel going after top of balla leaders no matter where they are, that is, you know, in UH, in Syria, in Lebanon, UH, and taking them out as they continue to kind of uh, you know, decap potato, if you will, the leadership of his ballots. And they've done it now during the ceasefire right now, Israel claim that this senior leader posts a threat to Israel and his operations, and it was on Syrian soil UH. And as you know, the Syrians are facing their own offensive from rebels in the north, and so they're a little distracted, which may have contributed to the timing of this targeted assassination. But it is in line with what we've seen over several months, and it will not jeopardize the fire between Israel and Lebanon.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, that's what I was going to ask you, because we know that that one is UH is very delicate. How is the ceasefire going, because we know that there have been some some shots fired across the border.
Speaker 8: Right so we saw you know, some real uh intense exchanges of fire on Monday and a little bit into Tuesday. But now I have to say it's been quiet on the Israeli Lebanies quarter for about twenty four hours right as we mark the one week anniversary of the seasfire. And even though it's being described I think wrongly in the media as fragile, the truth is this seasefire is holding up and I do not believe there are compelling reasons why Israel or Lebanon flash has Bala would like to go back to a full scale war, which is basically what it was. Even though you know Israel hadn't declared it as such or the world hadn't. It was a full out war for several months. And now look at what's happening in Syria. The offensive, the surprise offensive of the rebels has taken Seria's attention and will likely require Hasbala to help up Assad and protect his forces. So Hasballa now they don't need they don't you know, they were already in bad shape after months of fighting with Israel. They need to try. Iran's going to try to basically rebuild the organization. They're not in any position to fight. And also the Israeli army, you know, they've had reservist fighting for over a year. They need to rest. They are running low on some ammunitions, and they really have achieved a lot, you know, unless they want to take their forces all the way to Bay Route, which they don't right now, right they want to turn their focus back to Gaza to finish the Gaza war and ultimately do wrong. So I don't think there's any real reasons why these two sides would go back into a war. I do expect we will see more intermittent realms of violence between the sides, but that does not mean that Sasefire is going to fall apart.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, good to finally here so positive news because it's been you know, not great for over a year. So thank you so much. Jordana Miller. Appreciate the information. As always, We'll talk to you soon. But let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A two year old boyfriend, Chrisline, has been fatally shot by his seven year old brother in Rancho Cucamonga, Gloria, Huerta with the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department says the boys were in a pickup truck outside of store Monday when the older one found a gun in the glovebox.
Speaker 7: The mom, as I understand, it, had just gotten to the location. She was unloading some things off the back of the truck and the children were in the cab of the truck, and that's where the shooting occurred.
Speaker 2: She tells KTLA. Deputies found the toddler had been shot in the head. He died at the hospital. Officials say the gun should have been stored properly. The Supreme Court has heard arguments in a case involving compensation for Holocaust survivors and their heirs. It would be for property confiscated during World War Two before people were sent to death camps. The original suit was filed fourteen years ago against Hungary. Justice Katanji Brown Jackson says, it'll be hard for the court to prove who might have taken what.
Speaker 9: Unless you can show that they currently it is in the United States or is owned by the company today or by the foreign state today. I don't know how you satisfy this jurisdictional cook.
Speaker 2: At the center of the case is whether survivors can bring Hungary into US courts under an exception to the Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act involving property taken in violation of international law. A new report by Meta says artificial intelligence did not play a major role in election disinformation. ABC's Mike Debuski says Meta claims AI enabled disinformation campaigns did not materialize in a significant way on its platforms.
Speaker 3: The company says that AI political content represented less than one percent of all fact check misinformation in the months leading up to the twenty twenty four election.
Speaker 2: Meta also says it took down twenty new covert inflames operations across the Middle East, Asia, Europe, and the US. Disneyland is offering a deal to Southern California residence residents can buy a three day one park ticket for as little as sixty seven dollars per day per person. The tickets can be used between January first and May fifteenth of twenty twenty five. Southern California residents will need to show proof of residency to purchase and also to use the tickets. When we come back, your Apple Watch is soon going to start talking to your Tesla. Google Maps is getting one of Ways's best features right now. Let's say good morning too, Katla's tech reporter and the host of Rich on Tech on KFI. It's Rich DeMuro. Good morning, Rich. Do we not have Rich?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 1: There he is, Good morning.
Speaker 3: Rich, I am here. Good morning to you.
Speaker 1: Good morning.
Speaker 2: We're having all kinds of little techy glitches this morning. It must be gremlins in the system.
Speaker 1: So Walmart now owns Visio.
Speaker 3: Why is all about advertising? So Visio is one of the leaders in basically figuring out what you're watching and using that data to sell to advertisers or to target advertising towards you. And Walmart saw this and said, you know what, why not pay two point three billion dollars for this company?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 5: And so they've yeah, they've.
Speaker 3: Completed that acquisition. Visio has this thing called Smartcast, which is sort of their operating system, like a Roku or fire TV, and Walmart of course is going to integrate that with their ad platform. So what does this mean for consumers? It means that Visio TVs will definitely be much more prominent at Walmart. They'll probably be cheaper, and they will probably have more advertising on them.
Speaker 1: They're pretty decent TV, aren't they? Are they worse? At some point?
Speaker 3: I've always liked Visio. I have a video. I mean, look, this is one of the first TVs I ever featured. They had the best price for a TV many many years ago, and they continue to push down. I think they probably single handedly pushed down prices of all TVs over the years because they were so aggressive in their pricing for what you get.
Speaker 2: Oh well, then I like Video or Visio because now you can get a sixty inch TV for like four hundred bucks.
Speaker 5: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: Okay, So, but more.
Speaker 2: Than TVs, the big thing is the advertising that it so it tracks people when you're watching TV or what's the deal with that?
Speaker 1: Why is it worth so much?
Speaker 3: Yeah, pretty much all of the TVs at this point do that. They have something called automatic content recognition. Visio sort of pioneered this kind of scans what you're watching on your TV screen, and there's actually a big lawsuit many years ago because they weren't very upfront about this. But you can turn that feature off on most smart TVs at this point if you go into the settings, Usually it says something like ACR or smart features or data features, and that's basically they're saying, look, we're going to watch what you look at on this screen, and then we're going to use that information to sell to advertisers to target you with ads.
Speaker 2: Okay, I got to go ACR smart features. I always get such good tips from you guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you if you google the name of your TV like Sony ACR and you search that, it will usually tell you how to turn that feature off or automatic content recognition. For most of the smart TVs they have.
Speaker 2: It, and it's just like one more thing where what you're watching is being watched by you know, the ominous big brother or whatever. Right, so you can turn that off if you don't want to. But does it really matter in the grand scheme of things is the question.
Speaker 3: I think the less data the better, you know, I mean, why not? Why help them? You're not If they were paying you every month for the use of your TV data, sure, i'd say, okay, fine, that's worth you know, twenty five dollars a month, whatever it is. But since they're not, and they just have it on by default most of the time, why give them more data than they need? They're already collecting so much on us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true, you know, I feel that way about I don't know how you feel about this, but about like surveys when you go shopping and go, hey, how is your shopping experience. I'm like, well, are you going to give me fifty percent off something next time I come in? I mean, like, what's what's what's my motivation for doing this?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I mean I feel the same way I get every time I fly. They send me like a survey that's, by the way, like fifteen minutes to complete, and I'm like, okay, you know, I love you. You got me there safely, But like, why am i your you know, pay me give me something for that?
Speaker 1: For Mike share the love a little bit. Okay, So you know I have a soft spot for Ways.
Speaker 2: I think it's a great app, and since I'm the voice of Ways, I get to tell.
Speaker 1: People where to go.
Speaker 2: But Ways is uh doing or Google Maps is actually doing something that Ways has been doing, and you think that's a good thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, so it's it's interesting because Google owns versus both Google Maps and Ways. But you know, some people like Ways better, some people like Google Maps better, which is fine. But I think Google is learning that there are some synergies they can use from these two apps. So, for instance, one of Ways's best features are these crowdsourced incident reports. Right, if you're driving, you could say oh, police up ahead, or oh my gosh, there's something on the road or there's an accident, and so you can report those things and other drivers have a heads up. And so now Google is actually going to be sharing that information. So it goes both ways. Like I was driving back from Santa Barbara this weekend and all of a sudden it popped up on my map and said, hey, there's police ahead or a traffic camera and I was like, wait, what on Google? And of course you can confirm that or say it's gone, So that will be shared between these two apps. The more the merrier, I guess with this, because the more people reporting, the better this data is and the safer drivers can be.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Like I was driving home from the Anaheim Whitehouse yesterday and there were three or four reports. One was police, you know, and then they ask you the thing is it still there? I'm like yeah, yeah, but one was there was this slow down, and I was like, what is that? And then I looked down at ways and it said there's something on the roadway. I was like, okay, good to know. But then when we got there nothing was there. So I'm like, okay, so did all that traffic just slow down because somebody pinged it, or maybe they had just cleared it or something. But anyway, I always think it's interesting to know what's going on, especially when they're slowdowns. So Tesla is making an Apple Watch app. So does that mean you can start talking to your car? Can you start your car with your watch? What's it going to be?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can do a couple of things.
Speaker 5: This is something that, by the way.
Speaker 3: You had to use a third party app for if you wanted this functionality in the past, and you had to pay for it. So the fact that Tesla's doing this now first party is much more secure and it's also free, so that's going to be a nice thing. But what can you do with this app? Of course, you can use your watch as a digital phone key, which is really nice.
Speaker 5: So that's nice.
Speaker 3: You can lock and unlock your car, You can check to see how much charge you have left on your battery. You can warm up your car remotely. Again, these are all things you could do on the standard app on your phone, but now having it on your watch is really nice because you can go phoneless or just one more way to control your car. They're adding some other things too. This is really useful for people to have a Tesla. If you are, you can now set your arrival energy at destination. What does that mean? So typically when you take a trip in a Tesla and you get to your hotel, you may get there with like one percent battery or five percent battery, and you may not know where your next charge is coming from. So with this, you can now say I want a twenty percent charge when I get to my hotel, which means even if there's no charger there or they're all filled up, I will still be able to get to where I need to get the next day or whatever.
Speaker 2: Well, then so does it I'm confused on that because if you say I'm going here and I want to have twenty percent battery when I get there, what if your car doesn't have that range?
Speaker 1: Does it tell you to stop and charge up? Issue?
Speaker 5: Exactly?
Speaker 3: That's the main thing. So it'll or not just charge most of the time. If you're on a big long trip, you know road trip, you're gonna have to charge, But this will say instead of charging for five minutes, we want you to charge for ten minutes to make sure you have that twenty percent when you get get to your destination.
Speaker 1: Oh that sounds very cool.
Speaker 2: Okay, we're out of time, so we can't talk about this cameo thing, but I want to hold it till next week.
Speaker 1: Can we do that?
Speaker 5: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: Okay, we'll just tell you got to tune in next weeks. We're going to talk about how you can become a cameo celebrity. You can find out all the information that we've talked about, plus a whole heck of a lot more by following a rich on Instagram at rich on Tech. Also, his website is rich on tech dot tv, and of course you can listen to Rich He's the host of rich on Tech right here on KFI Saturdays from eleven to two.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much, Rich.
Speaker 3: Thanks Amy.
Speaker 1: All right when we come back, Amy's on it.
Speaker 2: It's a new take on a classic Christmas story that is sure to get you in the Christmas spirit. That's your hint. Thank you to everybody who came out and donated to Pastathon twenty twenty four, either by visiting and dropping off your pasta and sauce at the Anaheim White House, or maybe just going to the website and making a donation, or stopping in Wendy's and making a five dollars donation when you get that cool little coupon book. You can also go to shop at Smart and Final and make your donation when you check out, and you can still make those donations because we are still taking in the money. Chef Bruno feeds twenty five thousand meals a week for Katerina's Club and gosh, you guys, you've been so generous and if you want to open up your hearts in your walle it's just a little bit more donate to help feed kids. It's a great cause. Everything donated goes right to the kids. One hundred percent goes to Katerina's Club. So again, thank you so much. We're getting really close to our goal. I think with just a little extra push, we're going to get there. Here's what we're following in the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The La City Council is expected to finalize language of a sanctuary City ordinance and then adopt it at today's council meeting.
Speaker 1: The ordinance would ban city.
Speaker 2: Resources and personnel from being used to help federal agencies enforce immigration laws. The city council unanimously voted in favor of the proposed ordinance last month, but then it had to make a few changes to language in it, so it requires a second vote. California's Attorney General Rob Bonta has unveiled two new bills to protect reproductive rights. One would let the Attorney General's office go after local governments the block abortion providers in their municipalities. The other would stop criminal charges from being filed against anyone who makes, provides, or distributes abortion medications. Ac DC's gear and Up to hit the road. The band's Power Up Tour gets under way April tenth in Minneapolis. It wraps up in Cleveland May twenty eighth, and yes, they're making a stop in LA. The tour rolls into the Rose Bowl on Friday, April eighteenth. Tickets go on sale on Friday at.
Speaker 1: Six o five. Its handle on the news.
Speaker 2: President elect Trump may be weighing his options as more opposition mounts against his pick for Secretary of State, Army veteran Pete Hegseth. At five point fifty, We're going to dig into what the heck is happening in South Korea with ABC's Shannon Kingston and how there's a rising chorus of calls to kick the President out of Office.
Speaker 8: Aamie's on it.
Speaker 5: Aami's on it, Aami's on it, Damie's on it.
Speaker 10: What am I?
Speaker 2: I'm on streaming shows, movies, documentaries, series And because it is the season, we're turning our attention to Christmas right now, so hopefully I'll let you know about a couple of good Christmas movies that you can curl up with the family and enjoy.
Speaker 1: And here is one that I absolutely love it.
Speaker 2: I think it came out in twenty twenty two and I didn't hear about it at all. I discovered it actually last Christmas season. It's called Spirited. It's on Apple TV. I don't know if it even went to the box office. Again, I don't remember hearing about it at all, but it's just one of my favorites at this time. It takes a look at a Christmas Carol, but this time it's from the perspective of the ghosts as opposed to Scrooge. There's Italian there, you'll understand when you watch it. But the ghosts live in a musical afterlife. They do supernatural simulations and try to redeem lost soul. So they take a whole year to plan on how they're going to haunt the person and get them to change and become a better person so they are not a lost soul anymore. It stars Will Ferrell, It stars Ryan Reynolds. Two of my favorites, Octavia Spencer love her, and then there's someone else. You're going to recognize them. I'm going to tell you who it is, but you'll know it when you hear the voice. The story is set in the present and the past and the future, and Will Ferrell is the ghost of Christmas past. He's got his heart set on haunting and changing one person. The characters do break out in song quite a because, as I said, it is a musical, and in this afterlife, the whole world is a musical, so it's very It's sort of it's natural in that people break out into song. The music is solid like the songs are catchy, they're fun. I've got them running through my head right now because I just recently watched the show and my favorite song is called Good Afternoon. I'm not going to tell you any more about it because I don't want to spoil it, but when you hear it, you're gonna understand why I love it so much. It's called good Afternoon comes about in the middle of the show, and who knew Will Ferrell and Ryan Reynolds could sing and dance. It's really it's just super fun. It's a well thought out story, the story unfolds, all the pieces come together, the story arc is strong. It's really entertaining, and if you haven't seen Spirited, I think it's a great watch for this Christmas season. Might even become a Christmas classic. It's a little too soon to tell. It just came out two years ago, but it's a great movie and a great musical, and in fact, this would be so fun on stage. I wonder if maybe they'll make a musical. You know how they took Wicked, the Broadway show and made it into a movie. Maybe they'll take Spirited and make it into a Broadway show. At any rate, it's on Apple TV.
Speaker 1: I'm on it. I think you should be too. It's called Spirited.
Speaker 2: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Hundreds of workers in la are set to lose their jobs next year.
Speaker 1: They may get some help from the County.
Speaker 4: Phillip sixty six, as it plans to close its two local refineries in Carson and Wilmington, a move that could impact hundreds of employees. Supervisor Janis Han says the county needs a plan to help them.
Speaker 10: The closure will result in the loss of estimates six hundred full time jobs and three hundred contractor positions, many of which are held by highly skilled workers in specialized field.
Speaker 4: County staff has been directed to come up with the plan within sixty days, which would include jobs, policemen and training programs, including possible employment within the county government.
Speaker 5: Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 2: Two men and a woman have pleaded guilty for their part in a home invasion robbery at a house in Newport Beach in which the homeowner shot one of the burglars and then another one of the burglars apparently took his own life. They were given six and nine year sentences. The robbery happened April sixteenth at a home on Vista Lucci, in what investigators are calling a targeted attack. A man, two women, and a child were in the house when the group broke in. The only city councils approved extending a much debated lease for a hangar facility at Anni's Airport. The vote yesterday was eleven to two. Council members Imelda Padilla and Hugo Soto Martinez were the two that voted no. In closed session, council members voted eight to five to settle a lawsuit over the city Council's rejection of the lease back in March, The Long Beach Police Department says the death of a woman hit by a transit bus has been ruled a suicie. The woman was hit last week at Shoreline Drive in Seventh Street. Billy said at the time the woman was in the roadway and outside of a crosswalk. Holiday shopping can come with package thievery, but ABC's Alexis Christoffers says there's at least one new way to fight back.
Speaker 7: There is a startup company called porch Pals now selling insurance for those victimized bags. It's like under and twenty dollars a year for two thousand dollars worth of coverage.
Speaker 1: She says.
Speaker 2: It may not be fool proof, but it helps. So now we have to pay to protect our packages from thieves. Gotta love it, be warned, it is a little fuggy in areas, makes it feel a little bit more like the Christmas season, but it was pretty thick on my way into work, so be careful of that. Here's what we're following in the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A man in southern California in the country illegally, has been arrested for allegedly shipping weapons from the US to North Korea. Prosecutors say the man hid the weapons in shipping containers at the Port of Long Each Those containers were being shipped to Hong Kong and would eventually be transported to North Korea. President elect Trump's legal team has called for a judge to dismiss his thirty four count felony conviction for falsifying business records tied to a hush money payment made to poor an actress Storing Daniels. Trump's attorneys argued that President Biden's pardoning of his son Hunter echoed Trump's complaints about his own politically motivated prosecution. The Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree will be lit tonight. The seventy four foot tall Norway spruce, trucked in from West Stockbridge, Massachusetts, has been adorned with more than fifty thousand multi colored led lights. So beautiful, let's say Good morning. Now to ABC's State Department correspondent Shannon Kingston. Good morning, Shannon. This seems to have come out of nowhere. The president of South Korea declared martial law, but that's already been lifted. So bring us up to speed on what the heck is happening in South Korea.
Speaker 6: Well, good morning. South Korea is not usually the Korea that's a problem here in Washington. It's more often North Korea, like that story you just mentioned, But yesterday that all changed, and this really was unexpected. It caught everybody off guard from the South Korean political establishment, two officials here in Washington, when the South Korean leader, President Yuni, tried to impose martial law, really revoke all civilian rights because of what he said was, you know, use vague terms to describe some kind of North Korean plot that had infiltrated the political opposition party. Well, really, we know this was really an instance of frustration boiling over, and he tried to use that martial law to check his political opposition. But that was a play that backfired big time.
Speaker 2: So he was frustrated with his political opposition and tried to say, oh, you know what, it's because the opposition has been infiltrated by the North Koreans, and that's why he declared martial law. Because again, I'm so confused on this, and I would imagine our wake up call listeners are too, because it just kind of came out of nowhere.
Speaker 6: Right, And you know, that's a long and short of it the way you just perfectly summarized it right there. And you know, I think it's important to note that there always is a little bit of interference attempts, at least from North Korea going on in South Korea. It's just a way of life. But every official here in Washington that I've talked to said it's nowhere near the level it would need to be to impose these really draconian wartime measures on South Korea. So this was just, you know, a kind of convenient excuser and attempt to drum up a convenient excuse to take this dramatic step.
Speaker 2: Okay, so he declared martial law and then the parliament said no, you can't do that, and he backed down.
Speaker 6: That's right, But there's a lot of drama between the declaration of martial law and then what happened, because really we saw almost immediately, the South Korean military pour onto this streets of the country. I mean, I'm talking military vehicles and circling the National Assembly Building, their capitol building. Protesters clashing with those members of the military, and also you know, helicopters landing in soccer fields, so this was really like flipping a switch. But those lawmakers did fight their way in. We even saw legislative aids deploying kind of fire extinguishers to distract the military so they could all get in place for the boat.
Speaker 2: Okay, And then did protesters get into the Parliament building. I saw what looked like protesters storming and building, but I wasn't sure what building it was.
Speaker 6: So they were very much i mean the outside of the building, coming in slightly on the perimeter. Some might have made it into the building, but really lawmakers and protesters they were on the same side here, so they were kind of working together as opposed to the military, where you know, we did definitely see some tense moments where clashes could have really escalated. We haven't had reports coming through of any kind of major violence at this point.
Speaker 8: That's that's thankful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And now has calm been restored now or what's the situation now.
Speaker 6: Well, we're still seeing massive protests, demonstrations on the street, thousands of people coming out to really reject even yun attempting to impose martial law for any length of time on the country. And there's also a lot of political turmoil. I mean, really, this is just the tip of the iceberg of what we're going to see going forward, because even though June has faced almost two dozen impeachment attempts, what's been different here is the mass Because usually the opposition party, they're about ten votes shy of what they would need to actually impeach him. The Conservative Party they usually lined up behind you, and that's his party. But we haven't seen that level of support ever since he really crossed the rubicon here and declared martial law. They did not vote to uphold that order, and it's really unclear if they're going to be able to back him again.
Speaker 2: Do we know when a next impeachment attempt might happen? I mean, is it like any day now?
Speaker 6: Well, it's the ball is already rolling. We are expecting that vote could happen as soon as this Friday. It could slide into next week. It's just a matter of getting all the ducks in a row.
Speaker 2: Okay, and then a quick question, Shannon is if they impeach the president, is it like here where the president doesn't have to really do anything or does an impeachment mean he gets removed from office?
Speaker 6: Well, if they're able to successfully impeach Union, and that's something that has happened in South Korea in fairly recent history, just the last within the last decade, because there are a lot of corruption charges that run through that government. But if they are able to impeach him, really that his prime minister that he appointed will step in, but it's unclear how long the prime minister would actually be in power before they could establish elections and have that to democratically elect another leader. Is there are a lot of question marks that are going to need to be figured out here, so the instability is unlikely to resolve itself any time soon.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, you helped us sort out what we could.
Speaker 2: We know that there are a lot more questions yet to be answered, and we'll be watching news. ABC News State Department Correspondent, Shannon Kingston, thank you so much for the info this morning.
Speaker 1: Appreciate it.
Speaker 6: Thank you. Amy.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A ban on indoor and outdoor woodburning is in place across much of southern California because of high air pollution in the forecast. The residential woodburning ban will be in effect until at least midnight tonight for everyone in the South coast air basin, including the non desert areas of La Riverside and San Bernardino County and all of Orange County. The order does not apply to mountain communities above three thousand feet, the Coachella Valley or the high desert New La County DA Nathan Hoffman has been sworn in. He says he will reject extreme political ideologies as he leads the office.
Speaker 6: Blanket policies are inherently lazy. You have to look at each case individually, the individual defended and their background, the crime committed, and the impact on the victim.
Speaker 2: Akmann was sworn in yesterday by former Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger before a large crowd of supporters and elected officials outside the Hall of Justice. LA County Supervisor Katherine Barger has assumed the role of board chairs.
Speaker 4: Barger has taken the chair's position for the second time. The supervisors rotate every year. She says one of the top priorities for her in the year ahead is to improve public safety.
Speaker 9: I hear from residents every day that they want to feel more secure in their communities.
Speaker 1: That's going to require us to invest in public safety resources as well.
Speaker 4: Barger is the only Republican on the Board of supervisors, but says partisan politics shouldn't play a role in the county's policymaking.
Speaker 5: Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 2: The World Wildlife Fund says hundreds of new species of plants and animals have been found in the Congo basin.
Speaker 1: Among these discoveries a new coffee plant, an owl with a catlike call, and a dragonfly named after a Pink Floyd album.
Speaker 2: Okay, I want to hear the owl that sounds like a cat, ABC's Michelle for Instances. According to the Wildlife Fund, seven hundred and forty two new species have been discovered in the Congo in the last ten years. And the final college football rankings have been released and Oregon is number one after going twelve and zero in the regular season. The Ducks are followed by Texas, Penn State, Notre Dame, Notre Dame and Georgia, Oregon, Texas, SMU and Boise State are all expected to be the teams that get a first round by in the college football playoffs, which get underway December twentieth. This is KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County Southland weather from KFI. Morning fog and low clouds, then mostly sunny with highs in the mid sixties at the Beach's upper sixties for Metro La and Inland Orange County, low to mid seventies in the valleys and Inland Empire, sixties in the Anelope Valley. Overnight loads tonight in the forties and then becoming sunny again tomorrow with highs in the upper sixties to near eighty. Sunny Friday and Saturday with hisand the seventies to about eighty, cooling down five to ten degrees for Sunday. It's fifty four in Santa Ana, forty four in Woodland Hills, fifty six in Irvine, and fifty six in Ciritos. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call and if you miss any of Wednesday's wake up call. You can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app