Speaker 1: This is Dan Caplis and welcome to today's online podcast edition of The Dan Caplis Show. Please be sure to give us a five star rating if you'd be so kind, and to subscribe, download, and listen to the show every single day on your favorite podcast platform. Well a day for the American way right, who would have seen this kind of not me an American born pope. Now, obviously we're talking about a pope who has spent with the last maybe twenty years I think in South America and is now he became a Peruvian citizen and so but still, I mean, he's he was in a parish on the south side of Chicago. It was like four miles from my seminary. I was in a Catholic seminary for my four high school years. But interestingly that the new Pope of Poplar of the fourteenth he went to a different Catholic seminary during his four years. He was two years ahead of me, so we were not in school together. He came back and ended up teaching in the building where I went to high school, which had then become Saint Rita, a Catholic high school. So yeah, it's just so wild. But never met him Pas never crossed, but mind blowing to think high school seminary and from the South Side is now pope. And I'm just betting he will be a spectacular pope because I'm just thinking there's no way he overcomes the American born thing to become pope unless he's got some extraordinary qualities that I am hopeful for somebody in obviously in the John Paul the Great category, and he's young enough now and highly energetic, obviously very intelligent. But clarification just came out from his family. This is hilarious. Wriggley Field Cubs put a big they've got this sign outside Wrigley Field and they put a big sign up he's a Cubs fan. Because that was a national reporting, and then the Pope's brother came out and said, no way, Socks all the way. He's a Socks fan all the way. So well, a big controversy in Chicago. So we're talking about that. What do you want to see from the new pope? Getting some tremendous text on that, and I've been reading those and I'll read some more. We'll go to callers as well, and then we have so much more to talk about and we have been talking about things that have gone on this week while I've been in trial down in beautiful Colorado Springs. And thanks again to Sheriff Steve and Heidi Ganoll and KBB for filling in. Thanks also to our next guest, doctor Catherine Willer. And we're doing a regular segment now on the reality of abortion. And I understand a lot of people's positions have sort of become fixed on abortion. No matter where you are on abortion policy. I think that you're going to find doctor Wheeler extraordinarily interesting because first she's a medical doctor, and what we're talking about in these segments is our medical issues, medical reality of abortion, etc. Also, doctor Wheeler one of the real heroes of the pro life movement because she used to perform abortions. And really the biggest heroes in the pro life movement are the women who have had abortions and now stand up for life, the people who conducted abortions and now stand up for life. And so great to have doctor Wheeler beck with us.
Speaker 2: How you doing, Doc, I'm great, Thank you so much. I will say, you know, most of us who are doing this work are actually we've just seen how it harms everybody, and we've seen the evil of the death of babies. So I don't know, I don't call us heroes, but we sure are motivated because we actually know what it is.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: I so appreciate being able to be on with you.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you, and I love getting your expertise right because I think that we gain so much in terms of support for life as people see the real science. And so you can bring the real science to the table. So let's just start with what you just mentioned. You know, from that medical perspective, you know, what are those those harms, those kind of awful realities of abortion that you refer to from a medical perspective.
Speaker 2: Yeah, from a medical perspective, you know, And maybe it'd be best to talk about one of the big narratives that they really use to push abortion is nobody wants women to die or to be harmed. If we all want women to be well, don't we. And so there's this real narrative being pushed even more than harms that if there are any limitations on abortion, their claim is that more women will die. And we've certainly seen that in the last year, especially here in Colorado with the Amendment seventy nine. This whole narrative of women theoretically dying because there are limitations of abortions in states like Georgia and Texas, and that's being leveraged. But I think what's being confused in there is that the majority of these are actually death from actually the abortion pill, which women do die of the abortion pill, and especially when you have no contact with a doctor, you're just getting it online with no medical oversight, and there's this confus usion about whether they can get medical care if they are having complications or if they're having a miscarriage or an ectopic pregnancy, which are not abortions, And this whole confusion has happened. And so what actually is killing these women is complications from the abortion pill or from not getting necessary in legal care for miscarriage and abortion and life threatening complications. And that's legal in every state in our country.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, let's address that falsehood that you hear so much of that, Oh my goodness, with these abortion loss passing. You can't get treated for an ectopic pregnancy? Can you explain to folks what that is and why in fact, yes, you can get treated for that dangerous condition.
Speaker 2: Yes, absolutely so throw with the CDC definition of what an abortion is. An abortion is an intervention that ends a pregnancy that does not result in a live birth. You have a live baby and the intention is to not deliver a life baby, and that's an abortion as defined by our government. So miscarriage. Unfortunately, the baby has already passed away, and the majority of the time the baby will pass spontaneously. The uters will contract just like in labor at the end of a normal pregnancy, and the dead baby will be expelled. That is not an abortion by definition. Now, neck toopic pregnancy is a life threatening condition. It's actually the number one reason for death in the first trimester rare, but it is the number one cause of death in the first trimester of pregnancy. And what next topic pregnancy means is that the baby after fertilization, the developing babies should reach the uterine cavity by about six days and implant in the uterine cavity. But a small percentage of the time, about two to three percent of the time, the developing baby will actually implant in the fillopian tube, which can then rupture and cause hemorrhage within the abdominal cavity. So that's truly life threatening right now, management of that is not an abortion. Management of that is saving the woman's life. Nearly always the baby hasn't survived by the time it's diagnosed, but you're saving the one life that you can save. That is not an abortion. So this is getting confused in the media and kind of writing the coattails of that to push abortion on the public because nobody wants a woman to die, but it's the narrative is incorrect as actually misinformation.
Speaker 1: Well, I think you're very generous. I think it's intentionally misleading to try to advance the pro abortion cause. But inductor again, from that medical perspective, what do you think are some of the most important medical realities people need to know as they consider that the policy issues on abortion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think the most important thing is, you know, we've turned from evidence to politics, unfortunately, and science and medicine have been overtaken by a political agenda, which is really unfortunate. It's whatever it takes to push unlimited abortion access to everybody, and now, especially in Colorado, taxpayers pay for it. The women shouldn't have to pay anything out of pocket for it, and so that really has pushed the narrative and it's all about access, and so all policy is about access, no matter what happens to the woman. And that's what we've seen in Colorado even this year with a death of a woman with a twenty two week abortion. An eighteen year old woman died the day before we testified at the legislature to try to get some kind of regulation. There are no regulations in these clinics, there's no safety measures, Nobody ever inspects them, nobody make sure they have protocols for emergency. And it did not move the legislators. They would not pass any kind of regulation put in safeguards for women. And so that just tells you the real concern for the abortion lobbying and industry, and unfortunately a large number of the legislature is to get women into abortion, not the safety and wellness of women.
Speaker 1: Well, right, because if the concern was for women, they wouldn't support abortion. Because how many females a year does abortion kill? I mean it's got to be seven hundred and fifty thousand to a million, right, I assume about half of all abortions are of females.
Speaker 2: Of female babies. Yes, absolutely, And you know that doesn't really Unfortunately here in the United States, we don't even collect data on the harms to women, and reporting of even numbers of abortion to the CDC is voluntary, so we don't have good reporting on the harms to women. I'm going to guess that intention. But we do have countries where they have universal health coverage and so they can follow women who have access to abortion, had abortions and what kind of complications do they have, and so those will be countries like Finland and Denmark, and so you can see some of the complications which within one hundred and eighty days of an abortion, the death rate is twice those of women who have child bearing a live child, and that continues for twenty five years, a three to four fold increase in death for multiple reasons. And some of the top reasons are suicide, especially in the first year of suicide, unintentional drug overdoses, and even homicide goes on. So that tells you something about this situation in which women are choosing abortion.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's fascinating to me, and obviously the kind of medical truth that the abortion industry in America doesn't want people to hear. Why don't we do that on our next segment next week? Why don't we dive into that along with some of your other key medical evidence. And yeah, they just you know, the harms that seem to follow in much larger numbers after an abortion, doctor, How can people follow you or read your works?
Speaker 2: So I'm on the board of the American Association of Pro Life obq i N that's aa p l og dot org. I'm also the president of the Colorado chapter.
Speaker 1: Wonderful. Well look forward to having you back next week. Thanks for the time today.
Speaker 2: Thank you for the opportunity Ian take care, doctor Catherine Wheeler.
Speaker 1: And when we come back, Yes, the new Pope and whether you're Catholic, Christian or not, whatever, what do you want to see from the new Pope? And boy we have a text exploding on that. You're on the Dan Kapla Show.
Speaker 3: And now back to the Dan Kaplis Show podcast.
Speaker 1: It just or not. You know, the new Pope is a big deal. That individual becomes a world leader depending on you know, the particular pope, how much world impact but always meaningful and talk about John Paul, the great right but probably the most important leader in the world over a long stretch of time. And you know here as well, I expect great things from this Pope. I've I doubt very much that an American, somebody born in America would have been elected pope unless they have some extraordinary qualities, and so I expect we're going to see that from him. Three or three someone three eight two five five text d A N five seven seven three nine. Mine's still blown by the fact that we were both in Catholic seminaries at the same time. My seminary quickly South these were high school years, was just a few miles from his parish, Assumption Parish. Yet the now Pope didn't go to my seminary. He went up to Michigan at a seminary where he lived during high school years. Saint Augustine's so never knew, paths never crossed. But still just mind blowing that somebody from Chicago ends up being Pope. Texter, says Dan, Thanks to you and the doctor for that statistic about the higher suicide and homicide risk that these women who have abortions are at risk of. Those are definitely not situations that we would want babies to be born into, which would just end up meaning a terrible childhood in life. I can't believe for a second the Texter means what they wrote. I think that's somebody just trying to get my goat, because nobody could possibly be that evil, right, I mean, could there be a person in this audience so evil that they would say that, I don't know, if somebody is going to be born into a bad situation, we should kill him, just kill him, never let him be born, never let him walk the face of the earth. I doubt we could have an individual that evil in our audience, So I will assume that text was a poor attempt at humor. Dan, The leadership of the Democratic Party and the Catholic religion have been hijacked by communists. That from Abe wasn't obviously the Democrat Party, and I used to be a Democrat. It's been hijacked by far left secularists. And I don't want to you know, I think you waste a lot of time when you're talking about other socialists, communists or the European style socialists, whatever they are. It's just bad. Whatever you want to label it is just really bad. But no, no, the Catholic Church has not been hijacked by communists. Quite the opposite, my friend, Dan, I hope you admit you were wrong. When Francis the second, I think he's referring to our new pope that way allows the ordination of women priests and recognizes the sisters of Perpetual Indulgence as a legitimate order in the world church. Wow, I would really like to get a call from that Texter and find out who did what his wheedies this morning. But well, I will bet any size steak you want, literally a beef steak or other steaks. Know that this new Pope turns out to be, you know, in these labels are how variety of stock liberal conservative, but turns out to be much more conservative than people expect, depending upon how you define it. And one, you know, I think one sign of that it's superficial, but not really. You know, one sign of that is that if you've seen that the image is when our new Pope appeared today for those of star Catholic, but the new Pope for the world appeared today was wearing you know, the traditional papal vestments, et cetera, and very beautiful, very beautiful vestments. And that is a break with how Pope Francis had first appeared, and I think was clearly meant to signal something you know, in terms of tradition, permission to speak, that's when do you need that?
Speaker 4: So I have a question, because I'm not Catholic obviously, but is there a special service in the Catholic Church when a pope is elected? Good question you have to attender.
Speaker 1: I hope not, because I missed it. If there is, okay, yeah, I do not think so okay, which is Kelly. I think one of the really cool things about today were you watching any of those feeds, the live feeds before the pope came out? It was great.
Speaker 4: There was a party on so I actually, oh gosh, it's so embarrassing. I was reading something off of a newsfeed.
Speaker 1: It thankfully it.
Speaker 4: Was not on the air, was on a break, but it's on the air now. I said hyper bowl instead of hyper belief.
Speaker 1: No, but you're right, because it was. It was like a Super Bowl. If anybody was watching that live feed, it was a party in Saint Peter's somewhere.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: But they were saying, you know, there's obviously certain hyper believes.
Speaker 1: But I read.
Speaker 4: And as I'm reading it, I'm like.
Speaker 1: Hyper bowl. I'd like your pronunciation. This one says, dan Bet. You were bouncing off the walls. When you found out the pope was going to be an American from Chicago, that was really cool. But it gets to this smart text here, Dan, do you think there'll be more USA visits from the new pope. I'm not sure about that, because the new Pope may want to make it clear that he's not an American pope, that he's a pope for the whole world. So I'm not at all sure that America will be on the early visits. I would think they'll, listen, popes are still human, right, and it would have to be irresistible to want to go back to Now his old parish isn't there anymore, assumption was closed, But I think he'd want to go back to where he grew up. I think any human would want to do that so at some point, But I'd be a little surprised if America was on the first couple of trips. All right, we got a lot of ground to covered. Love your take on that, and there are many more texts coming in and I'll get to those as well. But so many things going on locally, including the Democrats just flat out making it clear now that they put folks here illegally ahead of you. They're taking out the license plate readers here on the Dan Capitla Show.
Speaker 3: You're listening to the Dan Kaplis Show podcast.
Speaker 6: And when they took off a Buddha dieste who has no clue. You know, he drives to work in as a bicycle with his with his no fairness, with his husband on the back, which is a nice, loving relationship.
Speaker 1: But he didn't have a clue. This guy didn't have a clue that he's.
Speaker 6: Actually a contender for president between him and Crockett, you can have that party.
Speaker 1: But he didn't perform three or three seven three eight two five five the number text d A N five seven seventeen nine. But he is every day right. I mean, this is such a great time to be alive. You've got Trump in his second term, the very best version of Trump. He's also he also us to be the most entertaining president we've had in our lifetime or maybe any lifetime. And then today we get the new Pope, American born guy from Chicago. I'm expecting great things. So we'll look forward to that. And as I mentioned earlier, because we've had a lot of text along the lines of wait a second, you know, isn't the pope quote anti Trump or whatever. And the point that I keep trying to emphasize is is wait a second. At first, this pope must be extraordinarily gifted and talented to have overcome the American born thing. Second, think of the key common ground. And President Trump's comments today about the new pope are beautiful and so positive and looking forward to visiting with the new Pope. And you look at the common ground they have together which dwarfs any differences. And the differences would be on immigration policy. But the common ground is foundational to Catholic teaching. That the common ground is blessed are the peacemakers. And that plays out in two different ways. First through abortion, because it's slaughtering so many innocents, and that is foundation, you know, for the Catholic Church. And President Trump is the single most powerful and effective pro life elected official in the world, and so you have that massive common ground. And then President Trump is a peacemaker when it comes to war, and popes are peacemakers when it comes to war. And President Trump's peace through strengths and pope is peace through prayer and other workings behind the scene. But they have that enormous common ground. So I'm very optimistic that they're going to have these large swaths of common ground where they can operate together, not on the phone with each other about this or that, but just so much that they both have an interest in accomplishing where they're on exactly the same page. Let's go to Centennial Colorado. Talk to Patty. You're on the Dan Kaplis Show. Welcome Patty hy Van.
Speaker 7: I had an answer for Kelly's question.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, and it wasn't.
Speaker 7: That there is a ask that we have to go to when there's a new pope. Yeah, but there is a liturgy for it. And today our archdaosis and priests were all down at their convocations, so there weren't mass public many public masses. I mean maybe there are tonight, but I was up at Focus and they have priests up there.
Speaker 2: That are not archdiosis, and so they celebrated a mass.
Speaker 7: I was up there right when they when poke uh cool Leo the fourteenth.
Speaker 1: Everybody was watching university students, Yeah, which is just an amazing group. But everybody was everybody who's watching the feed, I assume.
Speaker 7: Yeah, they had they had a team director, you know, luncheon or something, and they had the big screen up and I walk in and I'm in this room full of all these like college grads who was like cheering the pope on. And then I went in, I went to Mass, and it was a Mass said for the new pope and there is a liturgy for it.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 7: So there you go.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you. And who was in the seminary, mir or you because I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I had your way ahead of me.
Speaker 1: Well thank you, Patty appreciate that. Yeah, thank you. Wow. Yes, And I'm sure a lot of people had this experience today, right, some of us Catholic others just kind of following this this really big news story and the pageantry and everything else. But I was in this huge meeting and so I'm you know, I've got YouTube TV on and I've got everybody thinks I'm just like working on my iPad, right, but I've got the YouTube TV on And then following it, and then then when he was about to come out, I just had to come clean and put the sound up and we all just watched the announcement. And it was interesting because you know, I don't speak Latin. I became an altar boy just after you know, the heavy Latin stuff stopped, and so I didn't know what they were saying, but all I knew is the crowd in the square kind of it was obviously stunned, and I didn't know what that meant. And then finally we got the ki runs up and everything else. Damn says a text or oh it's from our friend Alexa. Any thoughts on Trump appointing Judge Janine Piro as the interim US attorney for d C. Yeah, I think it's great. Judge Janin from Fox is going to be the interim US attorney for d C, So I think she's going to do a good job. Dan yet another instance where Dems show their support for criminals. Those LPRs can put the bad guy in a stolen car via the bad guy's cell phone and secure rock solid conviction. What we're talking about is these license plate readers, right, this is You wouldn't believe this if you read it in a novel that the Democrats in Denver, Mike Johnston and the city Council they're taking out these license plate readers which have become a vital law enforcement tool and have cut down on autosaffs, and they've become very important when it comes to violent crime. Excuse me not getting emotional, just a frog in my throat. I think it's peanut butter really, But anyway, think about this, that they're taking out this critical law enforcement tool because it might lead to more illegal immigrants being detained. It can't even say the words right without thinking, wait, could that possibly be true? But it is? And think about that for a second. They are so certain that they are electorally bulletproof that the people of Colorado will not elect Republicans over Democrats that they're now blatantly and openly saying to the people of Colorado not these words, but through their actions, it's clear that they put the interest of folks here illegally ahead of the very lives and safety of our citizens. That they're willing to just be very upfront about that because they think the Republicans cannot beat them, and in Denver that's probably true. But then you think about the morality of this, right. I mean, not every policy disagreement is an enormous moral issue, but many are. But this is a profoundly immoral thing they're doing because what they're choosing to do is they know that they know how these things work. They are choosing to say to the parent whose child is kidnapped and these readers can help hopefully rescue the child. They're saying to that parent, no, your child is an acceptable casualty to make sure that people here illegally are not detained by ice. Think about what they're doing. I think about the underlying immorality of what they're doing. First, how do humans ever get to that point? How do the people who are voting to strip away this critical law enforcement tool ever get to that point where they care so little for innocent human life that they would just knowingly sacrifice it in favor of protecting people here illegally. And what they're really doing, right is they're sacrificing innocent human life in favor of their own political advancement because they know the big money in democratic politics now is from these far left, radical secularists who just want radical transformation of the country, want the borders completely open. They're actively encouraging illegal immigration because they view every legal immigrant as a Democrat voter. Yeah. Wow, I just don't know how a human gets to that point. And I can look at a lot of people who disagree with me on certain political issues and say, Okay, I disagree with you, but I respect you and I understand your rationale, and I don't think they're being immoral. But this is an example of just immorality.
Speaker 4: Hey, Dan, I do have a question, since you can probably address this after the break in your catastrophic injury law practice, have you had a lot of dealings with illegal immigrants.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It's truly one of the greatest tragedies, right, because it's so hard, it's impossibly hard for somebody to deal with the wrongful death of a child or a husband or a wife or any loved one. But so many times in my practice, they then have the added mental torture of that death having been caused by somebody who should not have even been in the country. And that's just an additional layer of torture, of mental torture. And yeah, so it happens all the time, Kelly. And it's the other thing that's so grossly obscene about it is in every wrongful death is horrific, right, no matter who causes it's citizen or non citizen. But when the people who now don't have their child coming home ever again, when they have to live with the fact that that person who killed the child should not even be in the country. But then here's the other thing. So often when that person who kills the innocent person and say a reckless driving or some other form of wrongful death, they can just disappear over the border and never be found. So it's like this horrific two tiered system of justice where if that ultimate wrong is done by an American citizen, well at least they're here to face justice. There's never closure, and it's a cold kind of comfort for the victim. But think of the mental agony when the purpose trader of the wrongful death gets to just disappear over the border, never have to face justice, never be seen again. You're on the Dan Caplas Show.
Speaker 3: And now back to the Dan Caplis Show podcast.
Speaker 5: Almighty God, because I'm standing up pre quality that my decisions. One day I will stand before him and be accountable. Well, this is what I believe. You ever seen that movie Talladega Knights, and you see that's actually where they're talking around the dinner table and they're talking about what their favorite version of Jesus is.
Speaker 3: All right, baby Jesus, I love baby Jesus, and.
Speaker 5: The guy goes, well, I love Leonard Skidder Jesus. When the angels are behind him and the choir is singing and he's playing free bird, Well my day judgment. I might be standing in front of trains, Jesus. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 5: That's what I believe, and I believe that Jesus God will look at me and say, you stood up for people.
Speaker 1: You set up for those who.
Speaker 5: We're less fortunate, who struggled. You may pass, you may answer.
Speaker 1: I think about how cocky these democrats are now that they get up on the floor and they openly mock God. You couldn't make this stuff up. And this guy's bragging about listen, hey, I have so many flaws on my own. This is not a comparison between me and him. This is just about him. But he's up there bragging about how he's going to be welcomed into heaven because he stood up for the weekend defenseless. I'm going to research tonight. I've been in trial, but I'm going to research tonight what his position on abortion is and if he is the typical Democrat who is hey, you can kill them all up till the moment of delivery. How's that going to square with this picture he has in his mind of being welcomed into heaven because he stood up for the weekend defenseless and for the life. I mean, listen, I've known plenty of people. One of the people I admire most in life is trans and I've known plenty of people whose kids are going through this kind of confusion. It's heartbreaking. But if this guy thinks the ticket to heaven is mocking God on the floor of the house and then making sure that confused kids have their body parts cut off, he needs to be watching some different movies, I think. But I'd love to get him hon and have a conversation. And maybe I'm wrong, maybe he's actually pro life. But but if he is a typical elected Democrat and he's up there using God as a justification for mutilating these kids, Yeah, but no, he's he's going to be He's going to be praised for his work on Earth because he stood up for the vulnerable. No, what he did was he used the vulnerable as political pawns in terms of these confused kids. And then what he did is he supported the mass slaughter of the most vulnerable for political power. Because I don't know this person individually. I'd love to have a conversation with him on Area's welcome in studio. Let's have the big conversation. But I have to believe ninety nine point nine percent of all these Democrats who support abortion on demand to the moment of birth know it's wrong. They absolutely know it's wrong. If they're smart enough to put their name on an abe tag to go out and try to get elected, they know it's wrong. They're just willing to do it to get in keep political power. And then they've somehow got to reconcile that in their own mind, but then go out and brag about how that's why you're going to get into heaven because you stood up for the week in defenseless when you're back the mass slaughter of the most defenseless. Yeah, no, I hope we can get them on air and have the conversation. But this just ties into the bigger point today. Right, how far gone the Democrats in Colorado are the elected Democrats that they're willing to come right out and do all these crazy things and say all these crazy things and pull out the license plate readers that are so important in fighting crime because all they might help detain ilegal immigrants because they just think they're electorally bulletproofing. Maybe they are, but I think they've overplayed their hand. It would take perfect storm right, take the right candidates in that Senate and governor's race. It take really good campaigns. It would take some things falling into place. But hey, that's why this country exist. Strike Zach. What do you think the odds were against the Patriots at the start of the Revolutionary War? Probably very poor, Probably very long odds for them, I would think so. But they were willing to take on that fight. And because of that we have the amazingly talented Zach behind the board. Great to work with you, my friend Fred.
Speaker 3: To work with you too.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 1: Ryan is down there reveling in the Tigers doing whatever they want to do to the Rockies twice today in a doubleheader. Thank you, Kelly, you're the best look for duo being with you tomorrow on a glorious Spring Friday. Why don't we catch up tomorrow let's say four oh six on the Dan Kaplis Show. Have a good eving