Speaker 1: Hello, Hello, Hello, Welcome to ano episode of Bravo. We are Black and guess what. Leah from Positively Uncensored is back. You know her, you love her, you listen to her. She was over here many of the forty days and forty nights that I was dragging Amanda, dragging her right along with me. And today we are not dragging people. We're not even talking about reality TV. We are talking about a movie that has gone overly viral, before it hit Peacock, before it hits streaming, before anything at the theater's Obsession was the huge movie of the year. It's not my kind of movie at all. So I have a horror fanatic with me, someone who has great takes all the time on everything and loves breaking down things and noticing little things. So I'm just like, let me just talk with Leah about Obsession and some of the theories online that people have had about Obsession for a fun little video that you can listen to, especially if you don't want to watch the movie but you want to know what the movie is about. So number one, Leah, how are you. I'm so glad to have you and thank you for coming.
Speaker 2: I'm so happy to be here. I'm so happy to see your face. I'm so happy that you're back with us. It's just so good. And I'm honored that you think that I have great takes and that I am like intelligent. So I'm happy to be here. And I can't wait to talk about obsession because I haven't really talked about it either.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness. Okay, So like let's get straight into it. The plot of it is, there is a man, if we ca can call him that Bear, and there there is a woman, Niki. Nicki is not in love with this man. She just made one terrible mistake, and it's being friends with the man. Platonic friends with the man. That's all she is guilty of. This man Bear is in love with Nicki, and him and his best friend, who is a terrible person, basically hypes him up to tell Nicki that he's in love with her. But instead of doing that, he does something very weird. He makes a wish from you know, the Spooky Vibe cool shop that sells these things, and it's a part of a willow tree. And you can make a wish and the wish comes true, but you have to be very specific on what wish you decide to make and he wished that Nicki loved him more than anyone in the fucking world, and he broke that Willow Tree wish, and boy does Nicky start loving him more than anyone in the fucking world. The poor girl is literally a shell of herself, and she decides that you know, it's her and Bear and they're in this together. They're doing life together. And throughout the movie she does the most disturbing things, but you can tell that it's literally not her, which is part of the debate whether she was possessed or whether she was in her body, which obviously we'll talk about our theories. But by the end of the movie spoiler alert, she has killed a friend. Another friend dies, the same one that pushed Bear up to talk to her and tell her that she was in love, and also Bear himself dies after she makes a wish on the one willow Tree wish thing, and she's left alone by herself, free from this wish. So she's finally free, and she has to deal with the consequences of multiple murders and literal trauma of being the object of a man's desire, and it's the most chilling, crazy the tale that really speaks to how terrible dating is at this time, in place and moment. Honestly, what did you think of the movie overall? Leah?
Speaker 2: First of all, iconic three minute or less breakdown of a one hour and thirty minute, very complicated movie.
Speaker 3: That was amazing. That was exactly what happened.
Speaker 2: Second thing, as you're talking, I can't believe that this is the first time that I'm putting two and two together because I've talked about the movie so much. But I can't believe the choice of his name being Bear, which I didn't think anything of because my best friend was about to name her son Bear because it's her husband's middle name TMI. So I was like, oh, yeah, Bear, Okay, people are naming their kids that now. But now as you're talking about I'm like, oh, yeah, the man or the bear like and it's middle a man.
Speaker 3: I thought the movie was is fantastic.
Speaker 2: I thought that the brutality from the movie was something that I did not expect.
Speaker 3: I thought that for not seeing.
Speaker 2: Ninety percent of this cast ever before, mostly everyone on our screens, I thought that they did such an amazing job. And I thought that the intentionality from the director who is a white man.
Speaker 3: I thought it was pretty great.
Speaker 2: Like I think that he there's a lot of undertones about consent, consent, autonomy, independence, so I really feel like he nailed it across all of the themes.
Speaker 1: I was so surprised when I saw because the buzz around this movie is literally this guy is literally from YouTube, and it had stayed in theaters longer than anyone thought it debuted, it higher than anyone thought, it made more money than anyone thought it was. It's really like a White Man a poor White Mans Center basically, but it's it just shows that we urge and we want and we ask for original ideas, and it can be something as oh, this s guy makes a wish on a tree and it comes true unfortunately, and it is very scary. Look how simple that idea is, This original ip that has what it was a few millions maybe even I think like two million to make this movie, and it grossed so many millions, and now he's getting so many different offers. But it just really goes to show how much we want original content. And to your point, is literally for a white man, the way that he touched on consent about who it really is a litmus test depending on who you show this to, who do they think is the villain? Because there's so many people that just take this at face value, not necessarily people, but men particularly that take this at face value. It's like, oh damn, this chick went crazy, and it's like, what movie were you watching? Because even when okay, let's just start from the beginning. His grandma has passed away, he's very clearly grieving. He's not in a good place. We find out that his cat passed away because he left the pills out, the pain pills, and his cat showed up the pain pills and passed away. And I'm just like, okay, well that is it shows that you're a terribly irresponsible pet owner.
Speaker 3: And I just think he did that right.
Speaker 2: Like I was like, what conclusion are we supposed to draw for bag, because at first I thought Nicki came over there and she's about to be crazy calling him about the necklace as his cat, I'm like, oh okay, But then to know that she didn't do that, it's like, your cat can't do the child safety lock for a bottle of pills, So the likelihood is you sprinkled those there, and it's weird.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you think that he killed the cat, because that's a debate online.
Speaker 2: I think that there he had to have And I don't know if he created this event to evoke sympathy from Niki, because ultimately he didn't even want to really go out that night with them and got convinced to. But I just there's no logical conclusion to where the cat opened the medicine cabinet, did the child safety lock, and then took pills.
Speaker 1: So, like, the theory is that he was taking his grandma's pills and he like left them out, and that's when we want to believe the innocence of him allegedly, but me personally, everyone's guilty. So if he left that out and he did that, he did that the point blank, especially like how also how hungry does a cat have to be to literally eat sour nasty pills? Cats are very very like picky. They don't like the bitter taste of expired pills. So it's very weird. So he goes out with his friends and she basically calls him out because he's acting weird. He gives her a ride home and she's like, do you like me? Like bear? Do you like me, yes or no, And he has the opportunity to tell her yes or no, and instead he decides to act weird and call her freaky Niki, which was a name that they used in school to describe her, and he knows that she doesn't like that, so she's like, well, what the fuck is that about? And she's like, don't call me that, And it just shows from the very beginning just how mean spirit like possessive, entitled means spirited, and also what a troll in cell he is just to call her that freaky Nicki and see her reaction and then decide that you want to use that thing that you bought from the store as like a gift to her, because she's also reveals that she's because they work together. So she also revealed that she wants to leave there be like a writer or something and not go to that same not go to the same school, but work with him anymore in general. So instantly we see a mood change when he breaks the pack of the one willow wish and she ends up saying that her cat died, and you can tell that she's off put by what she's saying because she's like, wait, no, my cat didn't die. Your cat died. And he's off put too, because it's like, how did you know that? Why did you say that? What's going on? But it's just this whole time, like he doesn't question her going from completely not into him asking him, hey, do you like me, to now wanting to go home with him, and they essentially go home and it is literally no her and he knows it it's not her because while they're hooking up, she's like, she screams and it was like such an outer body scream and he was just fine with that. And I'm like, oh, if I didn't think that he was terrible before, welcome, it'll.
Speaker 2: Be because some people are saying too. I see a lot of men excusing it and saying like, oh, Nikki liked him, okay, even if she did.
Speaker 3: She didn't.
Speaker 2: Even if she did, you're the type of person who thinks that, like marital rape is okay, Like like, just because she likes him doesn't mean that any decision that he made for her when she's no longer a consenting individual is okay. Like there's no difference between somebody being knocked out on Rufie's or whatever and being unconscious and her no longer being in her body and like somebody else taking it over, which you'll get to eventually finds out and confirms.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so okay. They have this whole thing where she decides to continue, and I knew that that was such a good scene in the movie where her eyes are just completely following him the entire time that he's at work having a conversation with his friend, who we find out was hooking up with her this entire time, which was crazy to me. But she's like just all eyes on him, all crazy about him, even though that they had this weird night together, and he's just like, well, yeah, I mean we're pretty much together now, and his friend is like, what's going on. He's like, well, yeah, her dad is sick, and his friend finds out that she was lying about her dad being sick. So there's so many different red flags here to tell him that she is not herself, and he doesn't care because they have a whole love montage where they are just laughing and talking and being a perfect couple and in different scenes and it's out of a romantic comedy. But obviously there's distortion there, and there's signs there in this montage that everything is literally not as it seems, and she just plays Indie is the actress's name. She plays this part so well, and they film a part so well that it's at night the freak really comes out. There's a scene where she is like walking backwards and moving back and forth in the shadows in the bedroom, and he's like, what the hell is going on? Can you lay down? And she's just like she takes some flowers and she hides behind the flowers and she like like walks around and it's like, girl, what are you doing? Are you on ambient because I have heard of this odd behavior on ambient, Like what's going on? And he's just like damn. And he talks to her, and this is the first time I'm noticing that she is in She's still in her body. He talks to her and he's like, well, what would be so wrong with you know, being with me? And she's like, we were never together and he takes that and he really like holds on to that, and I'm like, well, why are you so surprised because this girl has been your friend, she's not She never gave you any indication that she was interested in you. Romantically. You had the opportunity to say that, you didn't say that you guys have never been together in that way. But I guess it's so crazy how we're perceived by other people, and sometimes our behaviors might sign something to someone else that it's not to ourselves. Because I'm like, am I giving off signals that I'm into you? Because nothing that she gave two Bear indicates that she would ever want to be with him in that way or has been with him in that way, and we know she hasn't because we find out that she was actually hooking up with this friend.
Speaker 2: And what's so jarring about that that I think was so intentional? Is it truly is in cell behavior on behalf of Bear? Because mind you, he at this video store that they work at, has a girl pining after him in her body, choosing him. It's clear she likes him, and he's not reciprocating that because he thinks that he deserves a baddie and she is right, but he wants someone who's more conventionally attractive, and she's not. She wears the tall boots and she has the hair and the piercings, so he thinks that he deserves Nicki and should have Nicki. And first of all, the friend is weird for never telling him that, hey.
Speaker 3: We were hooking up.
Speaker 2: I don't know if that's a humiliation ritual amongst men to try to see if they can.
Speaker 3: Take her.
Speaker 2: Essentially, let me see if I can fuck your bitch, Like, let's see how he fares. I don't know what that was, but yeah, the whole thing, Sorry, that was my tan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so weird. So it gets to the point where she is freaking the fuck out, Like they go to a friend hangout and she reads this very weird, odd poem and because she's a writer, I don't know if it's a poem, war still a short story that she wrote, and it's just it's so weird and gross, and I'm just like, oh, baby, you are touched. She gets hurt at this party. He doesn't even flinch. He's just like, okay, Well that's just some of her real behavior, I guess. And I'm like, oh my god, like what is going on? Why are you okay with this? Like why do you think that this is still a happy, healthy relationship. Like meanwhile, she's doing crazy things like cook like the cat that died, She basically put it in a sandwich for him, and we get a peak of real Nikki. It's a photo and it says not me, so it's like a double lord. Yeah, I can't and he ignores it. It's like you're eating cat. You're eating your dead cat that she packed for you with a photo that says not me, and you're still and you're still thinking that you're in love and in a regular relationship. It's so crazy.
Speaker 3: Mind you.
Speaker 2: At that party, she dragged her, which was actually funny, Like I did laugh at that. Yeah, they put their solution to Nicki's weird behaviors, like, oh, like, let's play a party game and so they play some game and it's like kiss the person to the left of you. Well, Nikki was not to Bear's left, but she was in a second because she went and dragged that who liked him out of the way.
Speaker 3: Everybody's watching.
Speaker 2: That would have been beyond enough for me to call out her behavior. I probably would have died that night in the movie. But I'm like, what's good? Like she needs to leave, like she is tripping, Like why.
Speaker 3: White needs to leave?
Speaker 1: The girl needs that? Motherfuck girl over there is not real? Like that if I need honey in a bun on the airplane to literally be like, that motherfucker over there is not real. That's not Nikki. You are the bear. I will choose the actual beer rather than a man every time because you think that this is normal behavior and this is okay. So he calls the hotline on the back of the pack for the wishing lilw thing, and the director actually answers the phone, well, he's playing a part of a guy and he it's the director's voice, and I'm like, that's so cool to put yourself in your own movie, especially as a small role, especially when you ate that. So but he basically tells him like, bro, you have this wish. I have the real Nikki here. You hear Nicki screaming, So we now know that she's not in her body and that the wish will be over with because he's like, can I alter the wish? And the guy's like, no, you make the wish, you deal with it, and it ends when basically you die. And that's how we find out for sure that Nicki is not just not herself, but she's also like her spirit is being kept in this other place because she's been replaced in her own body, and he just continues on. Like he doesn't try to break up with her, he doesn't try to fix her. He just goes to his friend and is like, listen, use this wish thing to get me out of this wish and his friend is just like, I wish for a billion dollars if this actually works, and he ends up getting killed by like all the money that's like falling or whatever. But anyways, so he goes home and Nicki has done crazy stuff. Like she we talked about the cat thing, we talked about her beating up the girl. She also kills the one girl that's actually attracted to Beer on this entire movie that would be perfect for him that we were talking about. Early, she finds them in the car together and she literally like swishes his her head into the steering wheel and was like, well how about that mind you?
Speaker 2: Moments later, I'm sorry, moments earlier, she was asking him to kill her. Like that's when she was like kill me because and this was like right after he's texting her. So it's like, at every opportunity that you know she's suffering and you could spare her, you don't.
Speaker 3: And also the friend for a second.
Speaker 2: This confused me because Okay, he gets the money, asshole, and then shows up Bear in Nicki's house. Moments later. He's there and he's like, Bear, it worked, Like I know, it fucking worked. We were just standing in front of you. And then Nicki just turns with the rifle and shoots him, like just like on instinct. And I'm like, well, if you deserve that, I don't know in the movie in the sense of the but yeah, it's.
Speaker 1: Just like, you got what you deserve. Everyone gets to this, well not everyone, poor Nicki, which comes back to the point here. It's so crazy. So she kills the girl, she kills her friend, and ultimately Bear decides that he is going to end the wish by basically taking his own life taking the pills. But right after he does that, Nicki gets the one wish Willow and she wishes that they're in love together, and you see him kind of like snap and they're both in sync and in love and then he dies. And then once he dies because the wish is gnull and void, now she's back in her own body, having to see all the things laid out in front of her, and I'm like, I don't know if she is literally in pure shock, or she is she has been watching from wherever she was being held hostage or out hostage. What did you think, Like, do you think that she was possessed an in her body and could only take a word sum of the time, or was she locked away?
Speaker 2: I think she was locked away in the moments where she could regain her body, she tried to kill herself, Like I think those were the moments, but was so crazy about bear, so he took the pills. And then before she made her wish, Like you think for a second, like, Okay, he's gonna die, Like she's gonna be left with all this. It's a lose lose regardless, but okay, he's willing to take himself out. But then he throws up. This is like before her her wishes even made, and it's like, oh, you're a.
Speaker 3: Piece of shit.
Speaker 2: You were just gonna go back out there and do it, mind you, She duct taped you in the house. She stood there for twelve hours while you were at work, and shit herself, vomited, peede herself. That was one of the most like upsetting scenes, Like and you were just gonna be okay with that. It's gonna be like h He literally told her at one point, like act more like NICKI, Like, he knows that it's not her, and his qualm with the demon is that she's not acting enough like NICKI Like, Okay.
Speaker 1: That that was just so, But it, like the movie speaks to a bigger picture of literally what women and people deal with with these type of characters all the time, and it's just like on a major scale. So I'm just glad that they were able to put this on something that was so viral that men had to pay attention to it because outside of you know, it being a good movie and the message behind it, it was just one of those movies that you have to watch. It's now streaming on Peacock really quickly. Before I let Lea go, I wanted to talk about some of the theories and observations that people have made online. Do you think that Sandy the Cat was possessing NICKI? Okay, would you use a one wish Willow?
Speaker 2: No? But like if I did, it would have been for something stupid, like I wish I could have my favorite piece of meat loaf, mashed potatoes, gravy, and corn for dinner tonight. And then it would be like boom, there's my plate of food, and it would be like sick, what a cool wish, and then it would be over. I wouldn't have wished for that, you know, Like I feel like I would have just been like, ah, well, my mom's meat loaf, Like yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: No, I don't think I would use one, would you?
Speaker 1: I think that I would use one, and I would. It would definitely be money based, and I would be like the asshole friend, except I wouldn't do that to my friend and set him up to fail. I would just be obsessed with money, Like yes, I would actually like But then now that I know it's so specific, it's like I need one billion dollars in a bank account accessible to me only, or something like I'm just so scared they are selling one which Willow's online. Would you buy it as a as a fan of the movie, now, I mean.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would. I would buy it, right, But like.
Speaker 2: I'm weird, Like it's like I don't believe that it would work, but like I don't use a Ouiji board. I didn't do the thing that you say three times in the mirror and wake up with scratches all over you, I'm out, like, I'm too skittish for that. But also just so you know, if I was to seriously make a wish, it would win one hundred percent. Be for money as well, like I would be like, I need one hundred million dollars of legal money in a bank account that I can access and use, no problem.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, there's something something simple like that, something superficial. Simple. Yeah, I'm a simple woman. Okay. Someone said that Nikki like beer all along, and the fact that people can't see that annoys me. People are so focused on the theme of horror being the loss of body on autonomy, and yes, that's a major scary aspect. But what another tragedy is if Bear wasn't a puss and just confess this, it could have all been avoided. No, NICKI didn't like beer all along, and that is like, even outside of the bigger conversation, it's too much.
Speaker 2: No, that would have never happened. She didn't like him, she was quitting, she was talking up with his friend. She wasn't interested, and she gave no indication that she was interested at all.
Speaker 3: So disagree.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so someone has a theory that Bear might land on this one I have a theory that Bear might not actually be dead. He only took a bunch of tablets, and depending on how quickly he was found, it's possible he survived. Since Nicki's final wish seemed to make Bear completely devoted to her, what if the effects of that wish didn't disappear in a sequel, Bear could survive and become the obsessed one instead of Nicki. The first movie focus on Nicki being trapped into obsession, so Obsession two could reverse the roles and have Nicki dealing with an obsessed Bear who can't move on because of the wish. It would be an interesting way to continue the story while keeping the theme of obsession at the center. What do we think about an Obsession two and that theory absolutely not. I'm almost positive that a man wrote that. And it's all because you would like to believe that obsession is like, you just want to see her be the villain. You can't sit in the discomfort of the fact that Bear is the villain. Men are villains, that's the takeaway from this movie. So you want to expand on that and see a situation where she's actually taking advantage of him, and that just wouldn't happen because she'd probably just kill him, like honestly, like I don't know, like if someone was super obsessed in acting like that, You're out. You gotta go. She's already she already has to run away because she just shot her best friend and killed another woman. So what's one more body? Babe?
Speaker 3: You gotta go ask me twice the first time I get kill me? Now you got it?
Speaker 2: Because you're scaring me really bad, and I don't want to deal with this for the rest of my life, so I can't.
Speaker 3: Sorry, I made the wish fye exactly.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Well, thank you for coming to talk about this movie with me. I've been wanting to talk about it. I thought that you were the perfect person to talk about it with. I don't like horror movies, like iconically don't like horror movies, but I'm trying to amplify my tastes and thoughts. The next that I'm going to get through is going to be They Will Kill You. I heard it was really good obviously, and they just put the one Woods and Day and Robert Pattinson on HBO Max as well, so who knows the drama. Yeah, the dramas on HBO Max. But yeah, so thank you for coming and chatting with me, and thank you guys for listening. Lea. Tell everyone where they can find you and what you're working on next.
Speaker 3: You can find me on Well.
Speaker 2: First of all, follow my podcast Positively Uncensored whether you're a visual person on YouTube or on Spotify, Apple, wherever you get your podcasts, make sure you're following my TikTok for quick information when I don't have time to do a podcast and want to share news for you, and I am working on covering House of Stasy so that you don't have to watch it. I'll tell you what's going on, what the show's trying to do, what it's failing to do. And I'm also watching ninety Day Fiance Love after lock Up, you name it, I'm probably watching it. So follow me everywhere and thank you for having me. It was so much fun to talk with you, and thank you for sharing your audience with me.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much. See y'all later, and hype this video if you're watching on YouTube. Bye