Speaker 1: Welcome to the debate. So imagine signing a multimillion dollar corporate IT contract. Okay, but you pay absolutely nothing in year one.
Speaker 2: Wait, nothing like zero zero.
Speaker 1: Your payment in here two depends entirely on whether the artificial intelligence actually saves you money.
Speaker 2: Oh right, the outcome based.
Speaker 1: Model, exactly, And that exact deal is happening right now in Germany. But while AI is driving the software costs to near zero, on the ground, it's simultaneously triggering this massive I mean, it's a two hundred and twenty billion dollar debt tsunami. Yeah, it's huge, and that threatens to hike the cost of borrowing for you know, the entire global economy. So the core question we're looking at today is are we entering an era of unprecedented deflationary productivity or are we just building an inflationary debt bomb.
Speaker 2: And the tension there is I mean, that is exactly what we are unpacking today. We're looking at this fundamental divergence in macroeconomic analysis. Right We're drawing on recent warnings from the Swiss National Bank and the IMF alongside the real time structural upheaval in India's IT services sector, which is what a three hundred and fifteen billion dollar industry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, three hundred and fifteen it's massive.
Speaker 2: Right, And of course we have to look at the record breaking surge in US corporate debt right now.
Speaker 1: Definitely, And so to lay out where I stand, my position is that AI is fundamentally a profound deflationary force. Okay, we are witnessing an unprecedented wave of productivity gains. That is well, it's already restructuring global service delivery. When you decouple human labor hours from economic output, you create this long term structural mechanism that drives costs down across the board.
Speaker 2: See, I think you're hyper focusing on the end product while completely ignoring what it takes to build the factory. How so well, I contend that the massive redirection of capital, the strain on physical resources, and just the sheer scale of debt required to actually build this AI infrastructure, it creates undeniable systemic inflationary pressures in the short to medium term. I hear that, But and the assumption that short term capital exhaustion just magically guarantees long term structural deflation that is a massive leap of faith that the data simply doesn't support right now.
Speaker 1: Well, let's break down exactly how this productivity engine is functioning in the real world, because it's not theoretical. Fair enough, Look at the Indian IT industry. For decades, this sector operated on a very specific mechanism, which was labor.
Speaker 2: Arbitrage, right hiring overseas.
Speaker 1: Exactly, you hired one thousand developers because paying someone in Bangalore was structurally cheaper than paying someone in New York. The business model was literally just selling human time by the hour.
Speaker 2: The billable hours model.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, But today that entire paradigm is being dismantled. Clients are breaking the traditional reliance on those billable.
Speaker 2: Hours because they want more for less.
Speaker 1: Exactly, they are demanding more for less. Major players are restructuring their business models toward measurable performance outcomes. So when you decouple human labor from output, meaning you know you can deliver five times the software analysis using an AI model without adding a single human headcount, you have achieved the literal textbook definition of structural productivity.
Speaker 2: I see what you're saying.
Speaker 1: But you lower the baseline cost of operations for the broader economy.
Speaker 2: That is deflationary, okay, but lowering a baseline cost in one specific sector does not equal macroeconomic deflation.
Speaker 1: Why not if it's a massive sector, because you're.
Speaker 2: Looking at downstream IT efficiency, which completely obscures the upstream macro costs of the AI buildout. We need to look closely at the framework laid out by Petrachudin from the Swiss National Banks Governing Board.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, Chudin's report.
Speaker 2: And also Savannah Tenrero at the IMF. Redirecting these massive global investment flows to build out AI, it creates immediate severe physical shortages. You mean like the chips and things, ships, Absolutely, but we're also talking about energy grids, cooling systems, specialized silicon. When you drain resources to fund one specific technological boom, prices for those underlying resources skyrocket. Well sure in the short term, but the capital markets are flashing red right now. By August of this year, AI hyperscalers. So the massive tech companies building this infrastructure, they issued a record two hundred and twenty billion dollars in corporate debt right that is up from just twelve point five billion in the same period last year.
Speaker 1: It's a big jump. I admit it's.
Speaker 2: An aggressive capital drain. And that strains credit markets, pushes up yields, and acts as a present undeniable inflationary force today, not in some theoretical future.
Speaker 1: But I think you are treating a temporary supply bottleneck like it's a permanent feature of the economy.
Speaker 2: Two hundred and twenty billion is a pretty big bottleneck.
Speaker 1: It is, But let's look at what that debt is actually buying and how it changes corporate contracts on the ground. You mentioned the downstream efficiency as if it's just a minor detail.
Speaker 2: I didn't say it was minor.
Speaker 1: I just it is the entire point. Historically, outsourcing was a numbers game. Now, as Jim at Arroya of the Everest Group points out, the leverage has completely flipped to the clients. Okay, they do not care how many human hours go into a project anymore. They are paying for algorithmic certainty.
Speaker 2: Which is exactly why the Nifty IT index tumbled by a fifth this year. Yes, it wiped out seventy three billion dollars in market value for its top ten constituents. The old human heavy model isn't just shifting, it's collapsing under its own weight, exactly because human labor is suddenly viewed as a liability, not an asset.
Speaker 1: It is collapsing and what is replacing it is vastly more efficient for the ends consumer. Let's look at the mechanics of these new deals, all right. Tcs's chief executive recently confirmed that roughly eighty percent of their finance, HR and business services contracts are now based on outcome performance measures.
Speaker 2: Eighty percent. Wow, yeah, that figure has.
Speaker 1: Doubled since late twenty twenty three. We are seeing deals like Cognizant partnering with Dailer Truck where they are literally splitting the AI related cost savings on the balance sheet, right, or HCl Tech's cloud management deal with Eon. That's the one I mentioned. At the start, HCl tech takes on all the upfront risk, they don't get paid until year two and only if the efficiency gains actually materialize.
Speaker 2: It's a bold strategy, it is.
Speaker 1: This isn't just a slight discount. This is a brutal, hyper efficient market mechanism that forces price reduction. The provider takes the risk, the AI does the heavy lifting, and the broader economy gets cheaper services.
Speaker 2: At the micro level. Sure Gamler Truck and Eon or outside sslutely saving money on their IT contracts. But let's apply Petrachudin's macroeconomic lens here again. Okay, she explicitly points out that productivity gains are not a new phenomenon. They happen regularly throughout history. True, but they do not automatically lead an economy into structural deflation. Deflation is a macroeconomic calculation. It is a rate of change, right. It's not a single.
Speaker 1: Event, right, It's annualized exactly.
Speaker 2: For AI to have a true deflationary effect on the global economy, those price declines would have to repeat themselves regularly on an annual basis across all sectors.
Speaker 1: But if inflation is the annualized rate of change, a permanent restructuring of how a service is delivered permanently alters that trajectory.
Speaker 2: It shifts the baseline once. A one time thirty percent drop in IT servicing costs is a shock to the system. Sure, but the following year, if that cost stays flat at the new lower level, inflation is zero not negative.
Speaker 1: Okay, point there.
Speaker 2: It doesn't create systemic compounding deflation. Meanwhile, the mechanism required to achieve that one time drop.
Speaker 1: Is just staggering the debt buildout.
Speaker 2: The investment flows. Yes, they are being aggressively redirected away from other productive sectors of the economy to build out server farms secure vast amounts of energy by silicon Right. Shootin warns this exact dynamic creates shortages and painful adjustments for the rest of the economy. The upward inflationary pressure of building the infrastructure entirely offsets the downstream software savings in the short and medium term.
Speaker 1: Okay, but you are evaluating this transition as a standard capital expenditure cycle rather than a fundamental we wiring of economic production.
Speaker 2: How is it different from any other major infrastructure build.
Speaker 1: Think about the introduction of the assembly line. But let's push the mechanics of that analogy a bit further.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm listening.
Speaker 1: The assembly line didn't just lower the cost of a model T once it destroyed bloated legacy manufacturing models. True, but crucially, the assembly line still required you to pay a human and hourly wage to stand there and turn a wrench.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: What TCS, Cognizant and eonor doing with outcome based pricing is the equivalent of buying the cars without having to pay for the factory floor time. They have entirely severed human time from economic value.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's a nice analogy, but.
Speaker 1: Wait, just look at the firms. Massive legacy firms like Infosis and whip Row are seeing subdued growth of you know, one to three percent because they're stuck in the old model. But look at the agile tier two firms right Persistent saw revenue serge sixteen percent in a single quarter. Coforge is sales jumped by a third. They are deploying AI for rabid pilot programs that automate millions of manual data entry hours.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're moving fast.
Speaker 1: That brutal market efficiency is exactly the mechanism that guarantees compounding law long term price reductions across every industry that uses software.
Speaker 2: The assembly line analogy falls apart, though, when you look at the macro financial plumbing required to sustain it. How because the assembly line didn't require the entire global debt market to bend to its will before a single car rolled off the floor.
Speaker 1: That's a bit dramatic, don't you think?
Speaker 2: Not really, you cannot separate the software efficiencies you're praising from the hardware and energy realities required to run them. The hyperscalers, you know, the Amazons, Googles, Microsofts. They are triggering a debt surge that is testing the absolute structural limits of investor demand.
Speaker 1: It's a lot of debt.
Speaker 2: Yes, but let's examine Amazon's recent long dated bond sale. They raised twenty five billion dollars, right, but it priced at roughly one hundred and twenty basis points over treasuries last year that spread would have been half of that.
Speaker 1: Okay, but you're citing one hundred and twenty basis points spread as if it's an economic crice.
Speaker 2: It's a significant indicator.
Speaker 1: A wider spread just means investors want a slightly higher premium. It doesn't indicate a broken capital market. It just indicates standard supply and demand.
Speaker 2: It indicates severe investor fatigue and a rising fear premium. Let's translate what those basis points actually mean for the broader market. Sure Tech corporate bond spreads are currently at eighty nine basis points. That is, nine basis points wider than the overall investment grade market.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Neil Sutherland at Schroeders pointed this out. Clearly, tech has historically traded materially tighter, meaning it was cheaper for them to borrow than almost anyone else because they were seen as incredibly safe.
Speaker 1: Right, they had a built in advantage exactly.
Speaker 2: But now they are trading wider than the average corporation. Alphabet had to offer a concession of ten to fifteen basis points just to get their recent offering.
Speaker 1: Absorbed, a small concession.
Speaker 2: But investors are demanding a penalty because the sheer volume of this two hundred and twenty billion dollar debt issuance is overwhelming the market's plumbing.
Speaker 1: Okay, but you're describing a temporary resupply dynamic, not a permanent structural flaw. The hyperscalers still carry incredibly strong corporate ratings.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying they're going bankrupt.
Speaker 1: They have fortress like balance sheets and they generate massive, reliable cash flows. Karen Choi, a capital group, noted that the investment grade corporate bond index is yielding around five point four percent. Right, that yield is perfectly in line with long term historical averages. Foreign investors, pension funds, insurance companies. They are still eagerly absorbing this issuance because the fundamentals of the underlying businesses are solid.
Speaker 2: They are solid. Yes, they are.
Speaker 1: Investing in infrastructure that has a clear, very obvious path to profitability.
Speaker 2: Like I said, no one is arguing that Amazon is going to default on its debt. This isn't a credit risk issue in the traditional sense. It's a capacity issue capacity in what way? Think of the institutional bond market as a standard garden hose. It has a rigid, fixed capacity.
Speaker 1: Okay, I follow what.
Speaker 2: The AI hyph what for scalers are doing right now is trying to force a fire hose volume of debt through that garden hose. It doesn't matter how pure the water is, meaning how strong their credit ratings are. The hose can only take so much pressure before it backs up.
Speaker 1: Wait, let's clarify that for a moment. Why is the hose rigid? Capital markets are literally designed to be dynamic, not entirely. If there is a profitable opportunity, the market expands to fund it. Why are you treating institutional investor demand as a hard physical limit.
Speaker 2: Because of strict regulatory and portfolio mandates. Karen Choi highlighted this exact friction point, the concentration limits. Yes, many pension and insurance funds have hard rules that cap their exposure to individual issuers at like two or three percent of their total assets. Right, They literally are not allowed to hold ten percent of their portfolio and Amazon bonds, no matter how attractive the yield is, the hose is rigid because of regulation and risk management. Okay, So as the same handful of tech giants repeatedly tap the market issuing that two hundred and twenty billion in just eight months, they hit those hard portfolio constraints. Right, As George Katrombone at DWS stated, it's not a blank check. If hyperscalers keep demanding capital at this rate, they have to offer higher yields to attract buyers outside of those traditional.
Speaker 1: Channels, which they're doing.
Speaker 2: But when their yields rise universally, it causes widespread inflation in the cost of capital for everyone else.
Speaker 1: Okay, we need some definitional precision here regarding what we call inflation. All right, what you just detailed, you know, temporary spikes in chip prices or short term portfolio constraints causing wider spreads in the bond market. Those are front loaded capital expenditures.
Speaker 2: They're still costs.
Speaker 1: They are the necessary friction cost of building out a new technological paradigm. It is not systemic long term macroeconomic inflation.
Speaker 2: I disagree. I think they bleed into the macroeconomy.
Speaker 1: But when the global labor market shifts structurally, replacing millions of billable human hours with automated AI driven outcomes, you create a permanent deflationary shock. That fundamental shift in how work is priced will easily outlive this current, admittedly aggressive cycle of hyperscaler debt issuance.
Speaker 2: You are vastly underestimating how short term capital friction becomes embedded into long term systemic inflation.
Speaker 1: How so walk me through it.
Speaker 2: Let's return to Petrachudin's core warning. When you redirect hundreds of billions of dollars into AI infrastructure, you cause immediate cascade difficulties for the rest of the economy.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's trace the mechanism.
Speaker 2: Then, right now, governments are still running massive deficits, meaning they are issuing a lot of government debt. Yes, add this absolute flood of AI borrowing to the market. When hyperscalers soak up the available capital, it pushes up treasury yields because the competition for every investment dollar is fierce.
Speaker 1: Yes, competition for capital drives up yields temporarily, that is exactly how markets prioritize the most vital infrastructure projects.
Speaker 2: But look at the collateral damage. When treasury yields are pushed up, the benchmark cost of borrowing rises for the entire global economy. Right Suppose an agricultural company needs a loan to build a new tractor factory. Because the hyperscalers have soaked up so much capital, that agricultural company has to offer a significantly higher interest rate just to secure their loan.
Speaker 3: So their borrowing cost goes up, their operating cost surge. How do they recover that cost They raise the price of the tractors, which raises the price of food production, which gets passed directly to the consumer at the grocery store.
Speaker 1: I see the chain you're building.
Speaker 2: So even if a corporate HR department is saving money on their IT services down the line, the cost of housing, food production and traditional manufacturing goes up right now because capital is so expened. Okay, the immediate inflationary pressure neutralizes those promised future efficiencies. Silvana Tenrero's research at the IMF confirms this. Boosting productivity does not automatically lower consumer inflation if the macroeconomic environment is heavily distorted by the cost of achieving that productivity.
Speaker 1: But the crowding out effect you're describing assumes that AI exists in a vacuum, completely separate from the agricultural company or the manufacturing plant.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying it's in a vacuum.
Speaker 1: History shows us that the dividends of a general purpose technology always spill over to benefit those exact sectors.
Speaker 2: Eventually.
Speaker 1: Maybe that tractor factory is precisely the kind of business that will benefit when the cost of enterprise software supply, chain, logistics, and back office administration plummets to mere zero thanks to AI.
Speaker 2: But they have to survive the capital drought. First.
Speaker 1: You are looking at the two hundred and twenty billion in tech debt and seeing a dram the system. I look at that exact saying two hundred and twenty billion and see the necessary down payment on a global operating system that makes every subsequent physical and digital transaction cheaper.
Speaker 2: A down payment that is currently straining the physical limits of our infrastructure.
Speaker 1: Well, growth requires strength.
Speaker 2: When tech spreads widened by nine basis points over the investment grade market, that is, the market's mechanism of screaming for a breather. The debt issuance in August looked very different from January. How So, in January AI linked deals were absorbed easily. By August, fatigue had deeply set in. Companies that historically issued shorter term debt are now locking in long dated bonds just to finance these server farms.
Speaker 1: Right to secure the runway.
Speaker 2: They are intentionally locking in higher capital costs for the next decade because they know the buildout is going to be brutally expensive for a long time.
Speaker 1: They are locking in those costs because the projected return on invested care capital for AI compute is completely unprecedented. Let's trace this macro theory back to the micro evidence. Okay, why would a massive German utility like Eon sign a multi year deal with HCl Tech where they pay nothing in the first.
Speaker 2: Year because HCl Tech took the risk, right?
Speaker 1: But why because the underlying technology, the exact AI models running on those expensive debt finance server farms, is capable of delivering such massive verifiable efficiency gains in year two that the provider is willing to take on all the upfront risk.
Speaker 2: It's still a huge gamble.
Speaker 1: That represents a fundamental structural change in how economic value is generated. We are entirely moving away from paying for human time well.
Speaker 2: Algorithmic certainty is a highly optimistic phrase for a technology that is still wildly expensive to train, run.
Speaker 1: And cool, but the capabilities are there.
Speaker 2: And again, if we look at the macro picture, a utility company saving money on its internal software management does not solve the structural inflation caused by real world resource bottlenecks.
Speaker 1: The resource bottlenecks will sort themselves out.
Speaker 2: There are physical limits on our energy grids to power these massive data centers. There are hard limits on the TSMC foundries producing the specialized silicon. The prices for those physical inputs will remain structurally high. That is the upward inflationary pressure to Chewton is warning central banks about. This isn't just a capital market phenomenon. It is a physical resource phenomenon.
Speaker 1: But bottlenecks and physical resources are exactly what the free market is exceptionally good at solving when the price incentive is right.
Speaker 2: By raising prices, the high yields.
Speaker 1: And widespreads you are pointing to in the debt markets are the exact signal needed to attract more capital to solve the energy and chip constraints.
Speaker 2: But the act of solving those constraints is inherently inflationary.
Speaker 1: Not in the long run.
Speaker 2: When you have to build new nuclear power plants or reactivate dormant ones just to feed data centers, the cost of concrete, steel and specialized labor goes up for everyone else in the economy.
Speaker 1: But they're producing more power overall.
Speaker 2: The Swiss National Bank hasn't changed its long term inflation forecast yet they still project zero to two percent through twenty twenty nine. But Shuden made it explicitly clear that their policy rate is not set in stone right.
Speaker 1: They have to remain flexible.
Speaker 4: If this AI investment cycle continues to warp the broader economy and suck up physical resources, central banks will be forced to adjust monetary policy to contain the inflation it is causing.
Speaker 1: Look, if we synthesize this incredibly complex dynamic, my position remains rooted in the fundamental restructuring of global service contracts.
Speaker 2: Okay, the three hundred.
Speaker 1: And fifteen billion dollar Indian IT sector is actively proving that the shift from billable hours to measurable outcomes is real. It's happening today.
Speaker 2: I don't deny it's happening in software.
Speaker 1: It is an undeniable demonstration of AI's unprecedented deflationary and productive power. The market is mercilessly efficient. The agile time two firms are dismantling legacy giants by offering faster, cheaper, AI driven pilots that decouple time from output. Right that reality validates the massive front loaded costs. The productivity gains are structural, and they will ultimately exert a compounding deflationary force on the global economy.
Speaker 2: And my position remains grounded in the immediate, unavoidable macroeconomic reality of the physical buildout. You simply cannot ignore a staggering two hundred and twenty billion dollars drain on capital markets in just eight months.
Speaker 1: It's a big number.
Speaker 2: The resulting resource bottlenecks, the upward pressure on treasury yields, and the rigid portfolio constraints of major institutional investors are creating severe systemic inflationary pressures right.
Speaker 1: Now in the short term.
Speaker 2: Yes, economic history, along with the current warnings from central bankers, proves that isolated productivity gains do not guarantee systemic deflation. If the cost to achieve those software gains per per minutely elevates the cost of capital, concrete, and energy, the net result for the average consumer might just be higher prices across the board.
Speaker 1: Well, the clearest point of convergence here is the sheer scale of the disruption. Absolutely, we both acknowledge that the global economy is currently undergoing a massive turbulent reallocation of resources. AI is not merely a software update. It is a structural force, fundamentally altering both traditional service business models and corporate debt markets simultaneously.
Speaker 2: The scale really is the defining feature. This transition is touching everything from the structure of a multi year cloud management contract in Germany to the yield on a ten year treasury note in the United States.
Speaker 1: It's everywhere.
Speaker 2: The upstream costs and the downstream efficiencies are locked in a tug of war.
Speaker 1: The true macroeconomic legacy of AI will depend entirely on whether those downstream corporate efficiencies, the ones severing the link between human labor and economic output, can ultimately outpace the massive upstream costs of building the physical infrastructure.
Speaker 2: That's the real test.
Speaker 1: We highly encourage you to continue exploring the source material from the Swiss National Bank, the IMF, and the ongoing shifts in the IT sector to trace how these opposing economic forces unfold over the coming years.
Speaker 2: It is one of the most fascinating structural shifts in modern economic history, and we are living right in the middle of it.
Speaker 1: So when you look at the economic data tomorrow, ask yourself, are we witnessing an era of unprecedented deflationary productivity or are we staring into the inflationary pressures of macroeconomic muddy waters. Thank you for listening.